PDA

View Full Version : Southland Offseason Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

BEAR
April 28th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Obviously the standard is really low, lol. I doubt the McNeese visitor accommodatations are anything to write home about.

Heck even the home team at McNeese has to walk up steps to get to their place. xnodxxlolx (Sorry, I know that new eyesore to heaven makes you happy. )

McNeese75
April 28th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Heck even the home team at McNeese has to walk up steps to get to their place. xnodxxlolx (Sorry, I know that new eyesore to heaven makes you happy. )

LOL, come on now Bear, people in Glass houses ... xlolx

BEAR
April 28th, 2017, 09:57 AM
LOL, come on now Bear, people in Glass houses ... xlolx

You know when we left the Gulf South conference in Division II I never thought I'd see a stranger conference... boll weevils, wonder boys, okra.... now we got striped fields, yellow zig zag railings, more purple than any conference in America, underwear on the outside of their unis, stadiums without visitor lockers or enough food during games...xlolx The SLC cracks me up...

Nickels
April 29th, 2017, 01:32 PM
You know when we left the Gulf South conference in Division II I never thought I'd see a stranger conference... boll weevils, wonder boys, okra.... now we got striped fields, yellow zig zag railings, more purple than any conference in America, underwear on the outside of their unis, stadiums without visitor lockers or enough food during games...xlolx The SLC cracks me up...
LOL...Dont forget about the CVS in lieu of visitor's stands.

https://s2.postimg.org/wi5sp0hih/slcblunders.png

GAD
April 29th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Southland channel is now available on Roku!:D

McNeese75
April 29th, 2017, 03:36 PM
LOL...Dont forget about the CVS in lieu of visitor's stands.

https://s2.postimg.org/wi5sp0hih/slcblunders.png

CVS obviously has the beer and liquor concession at Huskie's games xlolx

GodHelpTheBears
April 29th, 2017, 05:57 PM
CVS obviously has the beer and liquor concession at Huskie's games xlolx

Not very Baptist, is it?

Also, this must be the only D-I stadium with combination spectator space and pharmacy drive-thru.

citdog
April 29th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Not very Baptist, is it?

Also, this must be the only D-I stadium with combination spectator space and pharmacy drive-thru.

Opioids, Likker, and Southland Conference Football. A GREAT combination!

GodHelpTheBears
April 29th, 2017, 06:30 PM

It must be the only D-I football stadium with a purple drank stand xlolx

Reminds me of the old speedway in Bolivar, MO. For $5, you could pull up next to turns 2 and 3 and get pelted by mud balls for four hours.

Nickels
April 29th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Dont forget HBU is in SW Houston so cheap high quality drugs (straight from the cartel) and cheap bad quality whores (straight off Bissonnet) are within walking distance.

SFA 93
April 29th, 2017, 06:48 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24928&stc=1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-tjEPRU0AAO_GU.jpg

Wildcat1997
April 29th, 2017, 09:00 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24928&stc=1Congrats to him. Hope it works out.

SFA 93
April 30th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Went to Kansas City, not Arizona.

http://www.locker-report.com/2017/05/03/the-combine-report-chiefs-welcomes-wr-justice-liggins-to-camp-a-steal-in-the-making/#sthash.L4kE6vNF.dpbs

SFA 93
May 1st, 2017, 05:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9tsECGUIAAXg4j.jpg:large

Daytripper
May 2nd, 2017, 07:28 AM
It seems SFA had quite a bit of pro-level talent last year based on UDFA, rookie tryouts and CFL invites. Why didn't they win on the field with all that talent?

Daytripper
May 2nd, 2017, 08:06 AM
Nobody from SHSU ended up in a camp this year, but we have a load of senior talent this year. Seniors that I expect will likely get an invite and might get drafted next year include:

Corey Avery - RB
Jeremiah Briscoe - QB
P.J. Hall - DL
Yedidiah Louis - WR
Marcus Loud - DE/LB

Catatonic
May 2nd, 2017, 08:44 AM
If Hall doesn't wind up in someone's camp there is no justice in the world.

Nobody from SHSU ended up in a camp this year, but we have a load of senior talent this year. Seniors that I expect will likely get an invite and might get drafted next year include:

Corey Avery - RB
Jeremiah Briscoe - QB
P.J. Hall - DL
Yedidiah Louis - WR
Marcus Loud - DE/LB

BEAR
May 2nd, 2017, 10:11 AM
If Hall doesn't wind up in someone's camp there is no justice in the world.

I think Hall is a lock for a camp at least. Maybe even a late round pick. It really depends on what the NFL needs. I've seen fantastic FCS defenders get passed over because the NFL was deep with talent for the upcoming year. Plus these multiyear multimillion dollar contracts pretty much exclude new guys from their best chances of getting on a team. One of our best, Eddy Carmona, who got a year with the Raiders and excelled while in games, was cut for a hall of famer who had been in the league already for nearly 20 years because they signed him to a multi year big dollar contract. Shame really.

I gotta wonder if some of Sams better players are good because of the system they are in while SFA players were good on the individual level but offered little success as a team. I thought one UCA player might have gone free agent but as a team they were beasts without individuals standing out too much. But to see so few individuals from the FCS go... just gotta shake my head.

Daytripper
May 2nd, 2017, 10:16 AM
I think Hall is a lock for a camp at least. Maybe even a late round pick. It really depends on what the NFL needs. I've seen fantastic FCS defenders get passed over because the NFL was deep with talent for the upcoming year. Plus these multiyear multimillion dollar contracts pretty much exclude new guys from their best chances of getting on a team. One of our best, Eddy Carmona, who got a year with the Raiders and excelled while in games, was cut for a hall of famer who had been in the league already for nearly 20 years because they signed him to a multi year big dollar contract. Shame really.

I gotta wonder if some of Sams better players are good because of the system they are in while SFA players were good on the individual level but offered little success as a team. I thought one UCA player might have gone free agent but as a team they were beasts without individuals standing out too much. But to see so few individuals from the FCS go... just gotta shake my head.

Hall might be seen as a "tweener" in the NFL. He's 6-2 and about 285. He might could be a 3-4 DE. Too big for a linebacker or 4-3 DE. Too small for an interior lineman. A creative DC could find a use for him though.

As for system players at Sam, maybe the QB success is a product of the system, but defense and skill players translate to the next level.

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2017, 12:37 PM
It seems SFA had quite a bit of pro-level talent last year based on UDFA, rookie tryouts and CFL invites. Why didn't they win on the field with all that talent?

Well if Conque had played TE, we might have had room for a decent QB....

Daytripper
May 2nd, 2017, 01:10 PM
Well if Conque had played TE, we might have had room for a decent QB....
HA!! xthumbsupx

Wildcat1997
May 2nd, 2017, 01:25 PM
I think Denmark and Brown have the best possibility of getting a chance in the NFL next year from ACU. With Denmark having by far the best chance.

Sammy94
May 2nd, 2017, 01:36 PM

Corey Avery - RB
Jeremiah Briscoe - QB
P.J. Hall - DL
Yedidiah Louis - WR
Marcus Loud - DE/LB

Darion Flowers signed with the Falcons.

Daytripper
May 2nd, 2017, 01:37 PM
Darion Flowers signed with the Falcons.

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Sammy94
May 2nd, 2017, 01:39 PM
Great news! Thanks for the update.

We just don't have to beat our own drum when it comes to football and make a big deal of it.

Sammy94
May 2nd, 2017, 01:42 PM
PJ is moving to DT (his likely pro spot) this year and has bulked up even more. He is huge.

Daytripper
May 2nd, 2017, 01:55 PM
PJ is moving to DT (his likely pro spot) this year and has bulked up even more. He is huge.

Hope he keeps some of his quickness.

Daytripper
May 2nd, 2017, 01:57 PM
We just don't have to beat our own drum when it comes to football and make a big deal of it.

I don't think just stating it here is beating our own drum. I'm a die-hard Bearkat and didn't know Flowers had a camp invite. Any news is appreciated.

BEAR
May 2nd, 2017, 02:42 PM
I don't think just stating it here is beating our own drum. I'm a die-hard Bearkat and didn't know Flowers had a camp invite. Any news is appreciated.

Yeah nothing wrong with beating your own drum once a year. Or twice if you win the Southland. xthumbsupx

I thought Jatavious Wilson and Desmond Smith would end up in the CFL at least. Still waiting on word about that. Saw a manager for the Saints on campus yesterday. He's been here before and I knew who he was looking at then. Maybe a late look at one of those two? Who knows.

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2017, 03:20 PM

Don't mind 94. He was unaware that Sam had a contract with ESPN3......

Sammy94
May 3rd, 2017, 08:23 AM
Don't mind 94. He was unaware that Sam had a contract with ESPN3......

You are right, I have no idea. I am on the field at the games in person.

Sammy94
May 3rd, 2017, 08:37 AM
Hope he keeps some of his quickness.

He hasn't lost a step. He will be a beast, our entire D line will be. Front four is looking like Roberson (former 4 star and highest ranked recruit from Texas Longhorn 2014 class), Clark (Former 3 star from Vanderbilt) , Hall, and Loud (Former 3 star from Mizzou).

Daytripper
May 3rd, 2017, 09:01 AM
He hasn't lost a step. He will be a beast, our entire D line will be. Front four is looking like Roberson (former 4 star and highest ranked recruit from Texas Longhorn 2014 class), Clark (Former 3 star from Vanderbilt) , Hall, and Loud (Former 3 star from Mizzou).

xnodxxdrunkyx:):):):):):) You just made my day.

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2017, 11:21 AM
You are right, I have no idea. I am on the field at the games in person.

Yeah, I'm glad to see they have trustees handling the chains at football games

citdog
May 3rd, 2017, 11:29 AM

WOW! With defenders like that you could possibly stay within 40pts of JMU!!

Panther88
May 3rd, 2017, 12:03 PM

Oh boy :( ... shsu by 30+ over pv. PV may have size on the OL. Speed and power, those edges go to SHSU's DL easily, imho.

Sammy94
May 3rd, 2017, 12:59 PM
WOW! With defenders like that you could possibly stay within 40pts of JMU!!

It is only 4, secondary still is has work to do. Perhaps though with them and a QB that isn't hurt we may can keep it within 40.

cx500d
May 4th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Can you stay within 40 of JSU?

It is only 4, secondary still is has work to do. Perhaps though with them and a QB that isn't hurt we may can keep it within 40.

Sammy94
May 5th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Can you stay within 40 of JSU?

Easily unless they have vastly improved over last year.

Wildcat1997
May 7th, 2017, 08:10 PM
We finally know a name of a transfer for ACU. It's Bill Weber, a 6'5 320 OL from Toledo. He's originally from Coppell.

Wildcat1997
May 8th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Another transfer is OL Keaton Bates from SMU. 6'4 270. These last 2 transfers immensely help our OL depth. Now we just need DB help.

Wildcat1997
May 8th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Also the DBs Transferring in:

CB Cyd Calvin TCU

Darius Lemora Wash St.

Jesse Montgomery SMU

Andrews Dadeboe Buffalo

Christian Jordan Ouchita Baptist

BEAR
May 8th, 2017, 09:04 PM
Transfer U. xlolx

As the fans of the top conference teams have said ...build it with freshman. Works out better that way. xthumbsupx

Wildcat1997
May 8th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Transfer U. xlolx

As the fans of the top conference teams have said ...build it with freshman. Works out better that way. xthumbsupxThe coaches intend to, this is just a one time thing because we need players who can play right now at OL and DB because we have pretty much no depth there.

Catatonic
May 9th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Transfer U. xlolx

As the fans of the top conference teams have said ...build it with freshman. Works out better that way. xthumbsupx

We have taken 7, mostly to fill specific needs for depth on the roster Dorrel inherited. UCA took 5 this year, and if I recall took a bunch of juco's the year after you hired a new coach. If it worked for you, maybe it will work for us.

Sammy94
May 9th, 2017, 08:09 AM
Transfer U. xlolx

This is the Southland, transfers have always played a major part on most teams.

BEAR
May 9th, 2017, 10:04 AM
We have taken 7, mostly to fill specific needs for depth on the roster Dorrel inherited. UCA took 5 this year, and if I recall took a bunch of juco's the year after you hired a new coach. If it worked for you, maybe it will work for us.

True. But CC transfers just aren't the same as SEC transfers IMO. Yeah they're both transfers, but the talent level is usually WAAAAAY different. CC transfers fill in holes, SEC transfers get players of the week and year in the conference.

2017- 4 CCs transfers ??????????????
2016- 7 CCs transfers 8-1 in conference
2015- 8 CCs transfers 7-2 in conference
2014- 11 CC transfers (coach Campbell's first year) 5-3 in conference

Coach Campbell will finally get his system in motion this year because Conques players should be far and few between. Plus many CCs have left. UCA only has 13 transfers of any kind on their entire roster of the 30 that still could be on it. Deducting those who only had two years left of course.

Transfers happen. But pressure that coach to build that team with freshman. You'll enjoy the success much more than the "two and dones" from the CCs and FBS schools. But that's just my opinion looking at the rate we are dropping in taking them and the success we are starting to achieve.

SFA 93
May 9th, 2017, 06:58 PM
We have our fair share of transfers which makes for a nice mix of experience to go with the high school recruits...

QB:#1 Foster Sawyer 6-5; 230 (Jr.) TCU Transfer
QB:#15 Ryan Cottingame 6-3; 220 (Jr.) JUCO

RB:#25 Kijana Amous 5-11; 210 (Sr.) JUCO

WR:#2 Frank Iheanacho 6-6; 230 (Jr.) Texas A&M Transfer
WR:#5 Terian Goree 6-3; 185 (Jr.) North Texas Transfer
WR:#9 Trae Hart 5-11; 175 (Sr.) Purdue Transfer
WR:#00 Romellio Bentley 5-9; 180 (Jr.) JUCO
WR:#31 Trent Williams 6-3; 200 (So.) Henderson State Transfer
WR:#83 Tristen Gomez 5-9; 175 (Jr.) Houston Transfer

OL:#79 Josh Keith 6-7; 318 (Sr.) JUCO
OL:#67 Jaxon Salinas 6-3; 308 (Sr.) Oklahoma State Transfer
OL:#00 William Youngberg 6-4; 300 (Jr.) JUCO
OL:#75 Josiah Hunter 6-4; 310 (Jr.) JUCO
OL:#71 Devonte Jones 6-2; 305 (So.) Baylor Transfer

P:#38 Michael Crowder 6-1; 175 (Jr.) Div. II Transfer
K:#36 Storm Ruiz 5-10; 160 (So.) Houston Transfer

DE:#94 Demetrion Amie 6-4; 272 (Jr.) TCU Transfer
DT:#73 Shaq Anderson 6-1; 305 (Jr.) JUCO

LB:#00 Terrence Potts 6-2; 215 (Jr.) JUCO

S:#40 Zack Kanipes 5-7; 165 (Jr.) Div. II Transfer
S:#6 Richard Gemmerl 6-1; 210 (Jr.) JUCO
S:#18 Andre Wiley 5-10; 185 (Fr.) Navy Transfer

CB:#11 Aaron Foy 5-11; 184 (Sr.) JUCO
CB:#8 Trent Perriman 5-11; 184 (Sr.) JUCO
CB:#20 Tarrin Mitchell 5-10; 186 (Jr.) Houston Transfer
CB:#21 Davelle Fox 5-11; 185 (So.) JUCO

Catatonic
May 10th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Also the DBs Transferring in:

CB Cyd Calvin TCU

Darius Lemora Wash St.

Jesse Montgomery SMU

Andrews Dadeboe Buffalo

Christian Jordan Ouchita Baptist

If there are a couple of DB's out of this group that are good enough to see the field in the fall and the two OL transfers are capable of getting quality snaps, ACU could have a credible team this fall. Still need a RB though. We are painfully thin at that spot.

BEAR
May 10th, 2017, 09:33 AM
As soon as I say we took 4 CC transfers UCA goes and signs another one. A name Texas High School football fans will be familiar with...and those who follow the weightlifting competition at the high school level.

Kaylond North
5'10" 260
Offensive Guard/ DL
Squat: 780 lbs.
Squat, bench and deadlift total weight: 1890 lbs.xdrunkyx Texas state record holder in various weights.

NATIONAL BOYS RANKINGS - WEEK 11 - MARCH 21

Boys National Rankings
12. Kaylond North – 242 – Dickinson HS, TX

President's 4.0 Honor Roll- Coffeyville Community College

From Dickinson, Texas: Kaylond North.

Now heading back to state, this year’s defending state champion Gators team is headlined by North, a three-time state medalist who won gold last year in his individual weight class and has his sights set onback-to-back titles.

http://www.dickinsonisd.org/upload/page/0084/docs/Powerlifting%20State.pdf

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/galvnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/67/c6789a5f-31fa-536d-b297-7b6945c809e4/5625a9fc96895.image.jpg?resize=750%2C464

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_KMPAHVoAAaBA5.jpg:large

Daytripper
May 10th, 2017, 09:42 AM
As soon as I say we took 4 CC transfers UCA goes and signs another one. A name Texas High School football fans will be familiar with...and those who follow the weightlifting competition at the high school level.

Kaylond North
5'10" 260
Offensive Guard/ DL
Squat: 780 lbs.
Squat, bench and deadlift total weight: 1890 lbs.xdrunkyx Texas state record holder in various weights.

NATIONAL BOYS RANKINGS - WEEK 11 - MARCH 21

Boys National Rankings
12. Kaylond North – 242 – Dickinson HS, TX

President's 4.0 Honor Roll- Coffeyville Community College

From Dickinson, Texas: Kaylond North.

http://www.dickinsonisd.org/upload/page/0084/docs/Powerlifting%20State.pdf

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/galvnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/67/c6789a5f-31fa-536d-b297-7b6945c809e4/5625a9fc96895.image.jpg?resize=750%2C464

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_KMPAHVoAAaBA5.jpg:large

Nice pick up.

FormerPokeCenter
May 10th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I'm glad to see they have trustees handling the chains at football games

Let's face it...who knows more about working chain gangs than SHSU graduates?

Sammy94
May 10th, 2017, 03:38 PM

Now that is a good one.

DirtyDukes
May 10th, 2017, 04:09 PM

"Hurt"
https://media.giphy.com/media/L20E2bh3ntSCc/giphy.gif

youcanbankit
May 10th, 2017, 04:54 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoAHdwGBvU

Daytripper
May 15th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Congratulations to Siddiq Haynes on his promotion. Hopefully the beginning of a successful coaching career.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211583536&DB_OEM_ID=19900 (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211583536&DB_OEM_ID=19900)

HUNTSVILLE – Sam Houston State head football coach K.C. Keeler announced on Wednesday that Siddiq Haynes (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&ATCLID=210020951&DB_OEM_ID=19900) has been promoted to an assistant coaching position where he will focus primarily with the Bearkats' defensive tackles.
“Siddiq is a young man I've known for about 11 years and when I came to Sam Houston he is one of the guys I brought along with me because I was so impressed with his work ethic and his knowledge of the game for a young coach,” Keeler said. “His personality and how he deals with people is incredible. It's been very rewarding to see him grown the last three years and put himself into position to be hired as the full-time defensive line coach. The kids and staff are both very excited and it's rewarding when you can have the opportunity to promote one of your own.“
Haynes is going into his fourth year with the Sam Houston football program, spending the last three years in quality control, a role that covers numerous capacities. He played for Keeler at the University of Delaware as a defensive tackle from 2007 to 2011. He was a member of the Blue Hens' squads that earned berths in the FCS National Championship game in both 2007 and 2010.
“The grind of having to learn over the past three years in a quality control position has helped me appreciate joining the staff on a full-time basis,” Haynes said. “I've learned a lot over that time from the staff and it is exciting to be able to coach the position I played and to coach with some amazing coaches and amazing players.”
As a senior, he was an all-conference selection and was named as a team captain for the AllState AFCA Good Works team.
Following graduation, Haynes worked for two years as head of community outreach for the athletic marketing program at the University of Delaware.

BEAR
May 15th, 2017, 03:33 PM
UCA picked up another high school signee last week out of Georgia. OLB. Apparently he got hurt this year (foot,ankle),his senior year, but has recovered. He was looked at by several Georgia universities but it appears they dropped their interest after the injury. I'm not a doctor but if the kid is healthy again it may be a steal for the Bears.

Catatonic
May 16th, 2017, 12:48 PM
ACU's new stadium is starting to look better each day. Scoreboard, field turf and seats are set to go in soon.

http://oxblue.com/pro/load_jpg/20170516/123145/f6f5fd5aa5d3ad656500c729ef6edf28/a3710fa1f96472f9b8bba499ee34f777/0.jpg

Daytripper
May 16th, 2017, 12:54 PM
ACU's new stadium is starting to look better each day. Scoreboard, field turf and seats are set to go in soon.

http://oxblue.com/pro/load_jpg/20170516/123145/f6f5fd5aa5d3ad656500c729ef6edf28/a3710fa1f96472f9b8bba499ee34f777/0.jpg

What will be the seating capacity? Do you have a rendering of the final product?

Catatonic
May 16th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Daytripper, Seating capacity will be 9,000 permanent seats, 12,000 with seats of the berm and standing room. Berm area could be converted to permanent seating in the future.

I will look for renderings and see if I can find them. We switched architectural firms in mid stream and the cost ballooned from 30 M to 52M along the way.

Sammy94
May 16th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Daytripper, Seating capacity will be 9,000 permanent seats, 12,000 with seats of the berm and standing room. Berm area could be converted to permanent seating in the future.

I will look for renderings and see if I can find them. We switched architectural firms in mid stream and the cost ballooned from 30 M to 52M along the way.

That is a perfect size. I plan on making this road trip to see it.

Catatonic
May 16th, 2017, 01:07 PM
That is a perfect size. I plan on making this road trip to see it.

the building shown in the south end zone isn't included in the initial stage of development. Locker rooms and a player lounge area are under the west grand stands. The five story suite-press box area will include private suites on two areas as well as a club area with an indoor space for dining and outdoor chair back seats. All the suites have been sold. Club level seats should sell out fast once ticket sales begin. That won't happen until sometime early next month when the seats are installed and they complete numbering.

Come on up. Hopefully we will field a competitive team to make the trip worth your while.

http://www.acusports.com/images/2015/10/16/Stadium_Day_680x510.jpg

Daytripper
May 16th, 2017, 01:20 PM
the building shown in the south end zone isn't included in the initial stage of development. Locker rooms and a player lounge area are under the west grand stands. The five story suite-press box area will include private suites on two areas as well as a club area with an indoor space for dining and outdoor chair back seats. All the suites have been sold. Club level seats should sell out fast once ticket sales begin. That won't happen until sometime early next month when the seats are installed and they complete numbering.

Come on up. Hopefully we will field a competitive team to make the trip worth your while.

Very nice. I, too, may try to scrape my dimes together and make the trip.

BEAR
May 16th, 2017, 01:57 PM

That is SWEEEEEEEEEEET. UCA still leans on their 9000 seat division II stadium. xlolx Yeah we added luxury boxes but nothing has changed on the visitor side since the early 90s. I want a bowl shaped stadium like that one above. GREAT idea for fans! Well done!

SFA 93
May 16th, 2017, 05:17 PM
http://www.texasfootball.com/50-important-college-players-texas-2017-no-31-sfas-john-franklin/

Wildcat1997
May 16th, 2017, 05:42 PM
http://www.texasfootball.com/50-important-college-players-texas-2017-no-31-sfas-john-franklin/I'm sure our player on the list will be Sam Denmark again.

Catatonic
May 17th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Rank Your Coach

Off Season kind of Question.....Rank Your Coach....There are 11 football schools in the SLC. Where does yours rank 1-11?

ACU's coach Adam Dorrel is new to ACU and FCS. That makes a ranking a bit tough. For now, I put him in a tie for 3rd with Rebowe (Nicholls) behind Keeler (Sam) and Campbell (UCA).

Daytripper
May 17th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Rank Your Coach

Off Season kind of Question.....Rank Your Coach....There are 11 football schools in the SLC. Where does yours rank 1-11?

ACU's coach Adam Dorrel is new to ACU and FCS. That makes a ranking a bit tough. For now, I put him in a tie for 3rd with Rebowe (Nicholls) behind Keeler (Sam) and Campbell (UCA).

I would agree with you. I put Keeler first, just based on historical success and having a natty under his belt. Campbell would be second. I think he probably does more with less than anybody. Rebowe being third is interesting. He did a great job last year. If he can continue to improve that dumpster fire at Nicholls, he could be number one in the future. Not sure who to put fourth. Conque at SFA does less with more. Maybe with his son gone he can focus on the team. Ron Roberts at SELA would probably be fifth. We know he can win with Brian Bennett and criminals, but can we with without them?

BEAR
May 17th, 2017, 08:22 AM
I would agree with you. I put Keeler first, just based on historical success and having a natty under his belt. Campbell would be second. I think he probably does more with less than anybody. Rebowe being third is interesting. He did a great job last year. If he can continue to improve that dumpster fire at Nicholls, he could be number one in the future. Not sure who to put fourth. Conque at SFA does less with more. Maybe with his son gone he can focus on the team. Ron Roberts at SELA would probably be fifth. We know he can win with Brian Bennett and criminals, but can we with without them?

Yeah that sounds about right.

1. Keeler- Guy can coach, recruit, and win. I don't see you holding on to him for much longer.
2. Campbell- Guy can coach, recruit, and win. He comes from an FBS lineage and coached at the CC level for years establishing a recruiting base in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. That's a positive! His first year he had Conques players and had it tough filling in holes. Second year only 2 losses. Third only one loss in conference and FBS win. This year he finally has his team BUT we lost alot to graduation so who knows.
3. Rebowe- That guy can recruit. His near successes against the FBS and the upper Southland were impressive. Really good QB too.
4. TIE- SLU's Ron Roberts and McNeese's Guidry. Roberts' team only lost one game in the last 7 and that was against UCA. Butterfingers that game in the blowout. Guidry had a bad year with personal tragedy. Players feel it too. They are better than that.
5. The rest. Conque still plays D2 ball but with the right players in his system he's usually successful. In Texas he should be excelling. The rest of the coaches have much work to do.

SFA 93
May 18th, 2017, 04:41 PM
SFA adds another RB for the 2017 class.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/mansfield-news-mirror/mnm-sports/jt8cv4/picture100429172/alternates/FREE_640/kameron%20session
RB: Kameron Session 5-8; 180 Mansfield, Texas (Legacy) *** (Scout) 4.4 spd.
ATT:684;YDS:4,349;TD:44;REC:30;YDS:272;TD:1

Session has been one of the most productive running backs in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, rushing for 2,096 yards and 17 touchdowns on almost eight yards per carry for Mansfield Legacy. He had interest from FBS programs such as Boise State (http://www.scout.com/college/boise-state), Texas Tech (http://www.scout.com/college/texas-tech), and Tulsa (http://www.scout.com/college/tulsa). He plays bigger than his listed size and he possesses good burst through the hole, balance, and body control.

Running Back situation for 2017

G:9;ATT:60;YDS:228;AVG:4.0;TD:1/REC:7;YDS:92;TD:0
RB:#7 Loren Easly 5-11; 205 (Jr.)
G:20;ATT:213;YDS:1256;AVG:6.0;TD:11/REC:17;YDS:139;TD:0
RB:#27 Jacolby Whitaker 5-10; 194 (Jr.)
G:12;ATT:20;YDS:130;AVG:6.5;TD:1/REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0
RB:#32 Jamall Shaw 5-11; 210 (So.)
G:6;ATT:9;YDS:22;AVG:2.4;TD:0/REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0
RB:#29 Josh McGowen 5-9; 202 (R/Fr.)
G:0;ATT:0;YDS:0;AVG:0.0;TD:0/REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0
RB:#00 Dominic Williams 5-11; 220 (Fr.)
RB:#00 Kameron Session 5-8; 180 (Fr.)

SFA 93
May 20th, 2017, 09:01 AM
https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/855947188169527296

Wildcat1997
May 20th, 2017, 10:20 AM
OL Riley Mayfield will grad transfer to North Texas. This is a huge blow for ACU on the OL. We were already relatively weak on the there and now we lose probably our best one. Now we're really gonna have to rely on the young players to step up and contribute.

Catatonic
May 20th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Some good ACU news along with the bad. If the Cats can come up with enough good linemen to give Dallas time to throw, he can light up the scoreboard. http://www.texasfootball.com/50-important-college-players-texas-2017-no-28-acus-dallas-sealey/

http://www.texasfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Sealey.png

Catatonic
May 22nd, 2017, 06:54 AM
Kudos to SFA for the interview with SLC Commish Tom Burnett. https://sfasawmill.com/s/219/purple-lights-podcast---slc-commissioner-tom-burnett---may-21st
Key takeaways re: football.

1. Coaches are happy with the nine game conference schedule.

2. SLC will continue to advocate for a permanent 12th game to permit more flexibility in OOC scheduling.

3. Don't expect expansion any time soon. Tarleton is interested and has been told "not at this time."

4. "Battle of the Piney Woods" drew praise from Burnett for its success.

5. No mention of how the football rotation is decided so this remains a mystery.

SFA 93
May 22nd, 2017, 07:45 AM
Yes, great podcast, Richard and Isaac and all the people at The Sawmill do a great job on SFA and SLC sports news.

Catatonic
May 22nd, 2017, 08:46 AM
OL Riley Mayfield will grad transfer to North Texas. This is a huge blow for ACU on the OL. We were already relatively weak on the there and now we lose probably our best one. Now we're really gonna have to rely on the young players to step up and contribute.

We do have two FBS step downs coming in which should help soften the blow. I hope they are ready to play.

Mayfield leaving was a blow. Even more so because it seemed to come out of the blue. There are some rumors about what happened here that don't reflect well on the competence Lee DeLeon's staff, and may explain why a change has been made in personnel.

SFA 93
May 22nd, 2017, 07:52 PM
SFA Jr. running back Loren Easly is leaving the program. Has been given permission to contact other universities. Big loss for the Jacks.

cx500d
May 22nd, 2017, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure North Texas is an upgrade.

Catatonic
May 22nd, 2017, 08:08 PM
Sam has picked up a OL transfer from Fresno State, Zach Kinninger.

Wildcat1997
May 22nd, 2017, 08:10 PM
ACU has another OL leaving the program. This time it's starting C Brandon Niccum. This along with Mayfield is going to really hurt our OL. We are probably going have to rely on a couple of freshman in order for us to have any sort of rotation.

Catatonic
May 22nd, 2017, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure North Texas is an upgrade.
They offer a grad degree he wants in public administration. Seth Littrel made progress toward turning that program around last year. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it going after P5 schools raided his staff. Three of his coaches were hired away by bigger schools.

Daytripper
May 22nd, 2017, 09:15 PM
SFA Jr. running back Loren Easly is leaving the program. Has been given permission to contact other universities. Big loss for the Jacks.

That is a huge loss. That dude was a stud. What are the details??

SFA 93
May 23rd, 2017, 07:06 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAdxUyDXcAAhwoN.jpg

Maybe looking at North Texas.

Team is in shock, but they wish him well.

Most likely just wants a fresh start after all the injuries as the guy could not catch a break.

I wish him well and hope he finds a home as he is a very talented running back.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-D5ezpV0AIRAMZ.jpg

cx500d
May 23rd, 2017, 08:28 AM
Again, North Texas not an upgrade

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAdxUyDXcAAhwoN.jpg

Maybe looking at North Texas.

Team is in shock, but they wish him well.

Most likely just wants a fresh start after all the injuries as the guy could not catch a break.

I wish him well and hope he finds a home as he is a very talented running back.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-D5ezpV0AIRAMZ.jpg

BEAR
May 23rd, 2017, 08:44 AM
This site has a preview of UCA. Apparently we "squeaked by" McNeese last year. xeyebrowx

The Central Arkansas Bears should come into the 2017 season hungry, looking to finish what they couldn’t in 2016. Last year was, statistically, a banner year for the program. They finished the regular season with only one loss, and was the strongest defense in the Southland Conference, just squeaking by a strong McNeese State squad.

https://tyrantscouting.com/2017/05/16/university-of-central-arkansas-roster-breakdown/

The Bears lost a lot of firepower on offense to graduation, and the Sam Houston State Jaguars look to be just as potent this season as last.

xlolx

cx500d
May 23rd, 2017, 08:48 AM
I wasn't aware of the name change. At least its a legitimate critter this time.

"The Bears lost a lot of firepower on offense to graduation, and the Sam Houston State Jaguars look to be just as potent this season as last"

This site has a preview of UCA. Apparently we "squeaked by" McNeese last year. xeyebrowx

https://tyrantscouting.com/2017/05/16/university-of-central-arkansas-roster-breakdown/

Sammy94
May 23rd, 2017, 08:51 AM

"The Bears lost a lot of firepower on offense to graduation, and the Sam Houston State Jaguars look to be just as potent this season as last"

Looks like this guy could get a job with Street & Smith if this one doesn't pan out.

BEAR
May 23rd, 2017, 08:52 AM

And this is a bear....xeyebrowx

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fGkUSy8xgo0/UGxrDfxKVOI/AAAAAAAAACQ/Eb5sHMy4tk4/s1600/261832_274946615956967_1056512547_n.jpeg

xlolxxsmhx

We'll just send this mascot suit to SHSU. Seriously. that's a black Jaguar.

cx500d
May 23rd, 2017, 08:56 AM
I didn't know they were a HBCU. Makes sense, I guess

And this is a bear....xeyebrowx

xlolxxsmhx

We'll just send this mascot suit to SHSU. Seriously. that's a black Jaguar.

SFA 93
May 23rd, 2017, 11:38 AM
SFA running backs

We still have good depth at RB, but Easly had the burst and strength combo going. The others are unknowns as they have not had much playing time. McGowen is the fastest.

Coaching staff is also going after some FBS running backs, so we will see how that pans out.

But current now for the Jacks

SFA 93
May 23rd, 2017, 12:09 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25070&stc=1

Catatonic
May 23rd, 2017, 12:34 PM
Looks like this guy could get a job with Street & Smith if this one doesn't pan out.

Not sure what your complaint is here. He obviously thinks your Jags are strong this year. xlolx

Daytripper
May 23rd, 2017, 02:03 PM
SFA running backs

We still have good depth at RB, but Easly had the burst and strength combo going. The others are unknowns as they have not had much playing time. McGowen is the fastest.

Coaching staff is also going after some FBS running backs, so we will see how that pans out.

But current now for the Jacks

Not a lot of experience.

Sammy94
May 23rd, 2017, 02:07 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25071&stc=1

Wildcat1997
May 23rd, 2017, 02:36 PM
I'm just surprised SFA still has scholarships to give. It seems likes like all you've had is players coming in.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25071&stc=1Kickoff can't come soon enough.

SFA 93
May 23rd, 2017, 04:42 PM
We have lost a few, so we have some to give.

FormerPokeCenter
May 23rd, 2017, 06:52 PM
It'll be fun reading the conference stats on APR....

It's about time somebody challenged SELA for that title...

cx500d
May 23rd, 2017, 10:31 PM
Spiders vs Jaguars....Who's going to win?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25071&stc=1

FormerPokeCenter
May 24th, 2017, 12:22 AM
Don't you mean Spiders vs Binturongs???

cx500d
May 24th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Don't you mean Spiders vs Binturongs???

Those are also known as bearcats, which apparently is different from bearkats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catatonic
May 24th, 2017, 08:33 AM
It'll be fun reading the conference stats on APR....

It's about time somebody challenged SELA for that title...

Looks like HBU is the most akadimikully minded school in the SLC.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAmCJ2bXkAA7kuR.jpg:large

FormerPokeCenter
May 24th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Those are also known as bearcats, which apparently is different from bearkats.

They've got beady little criminal eyes....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-_j8NfnF0TU5RrY4jc-69IhjhHXKy8F7hqK0u1H3jQLK2OR9e

Sammy94
May 24th, 2017, 08:56 AM
The true nature of our mythical Bearkat is a combination of the fiercest fighting qualities of both the bear and cat or (kat) families, think of a grizzly/tiger cross.

http://www.compareanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/grizzly-2Bvs-2Bsiberian-2Btigerr.png

clutchcitykat
May 24th, 2017, 08:59 AM
They've got beady little criminal eyes....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-_j8NfnF0TU5RrY4jc-69IhjhHXKy8F7hqK0u1H3jQLK2OR9e

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/38446a23173bf7e11d353bfff2aec282.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/5c9de2b5606db5d6eef4c7ffb21d322e.jpg

BEAR
May 24th, 2017, 09:38 AM
The true nature of our mythical Bearkat is a combination of the fiercest fighting qualities of both the bear and cat or (kat) families, think of a grizzly/tiger cross.

http://www.compareanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/grizzly-2Bvs-2Bsiberian-2Btigerr.png

http://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.vA_uUzBYYBYo6QGSR_YgHAEsEs&w=202&h=202&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

Sammy94
May 24th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Those baseball Lumberjacks must feel like the football lumberjacks do at halftime about right now.

13-1 in the 4th. Eat'em Up Kats!!

Sammy94
May 24th, 2017, 10:50 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25083&stc=1

That's one way to find transfers, go to Twitter. Good luck coach.

Catatonic
May 24th, 2017, 10:53 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25083&stc=1

That's one way to find transfers, go to Twitter. Good luck coach.

He must have borrowed the idea from Mark Richt down at Miami. Richt has been recruiting a grad transfer running back on Twitter. Responses have been hilarious.

FormerPokeCenter
May 24th, 2017, 02:12 PM

Apparently, they don't teach biology at SHSU. Those two animals can't cross breed....

Daytripper
May 24th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Apparently, they don't teach biology at SHSU. Those two animals can't cross breed....

I heard that all science is a lie. Your assumption could be fake science.

cx500d
May 24th, 2017, 04:57 PM
So a vegetarian tiger?

Wildcat1997
May 24th, 2017, 05:46 PM
The turf going in at the new stadiumhttp://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25087&stc=1

SFA 93
May 24th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Love how the fans will be close to the action, no track in the way. You've got a winner.

cx500d
May 24th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Track means not a stadium.

Love how the fans will be close to the action, no track in the way. You've got a winner.

Catatonic
May 25th, 2017, 06:16 AM
The Sunbelt is splitting into two, five team divisions. They have discussed adding a team to each division, 6 per division and 12 total. Do they pick up a SLC school for the West? Lamar is eager to make a jump. Sam Houston is probably the most desirable school from the Sun Belt's perspective. What's the contingency plan if we lose a member? Go with D2 Tarleton State or look at another school?

BEAR
May 25th, 2017, 07:39 AM
The turf going in at the new stadiumhttp://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25087&stc=1

You need to alternate the end zone purple and gray throughout the entire field. THAT would be unique in college football. Purple and gray stripes!

Catatonic
May 25th, 2017, 07:50 AM
You need to alternate the end zone purple and gray throughout the entire field. THAT would be unique in college football. Purple and gray stripes!

Good idea. Purple and gray stripes have probably never been done before. How do you think of such original ideas? You must be a very creative person.

BEAR
May 25th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Good idea. Purple and gray stripes have probably never been done before. How do you think of such original ideas? You must be a very creative person.

I liked these ideas better for us:

http://ucafans.com/wp-content/uploads/fieldturf/alt_black_black.jpg

http://ucafans.com/wp-content/uploads/fieldturf/green_black.jpg

SFA 93
May 25th, 2017, 08:38 AM
I vote for option #2

BEAR
May 25th, 2017, 08:39 AM
I vote for option #2

Me too. xlolx

Wildcat1997
May 25th, 2017, 09:30 AM
The Sunbelt is splitting into two, five team divisions. They have discussed adding a team to each division, 6 per division and 12 total. Do they pick up a SLC school for the West? Lamar is eager to make a jump. Sam Houston is probably the most desirable school from the Sun Belt's perspective. What's the contingency plan if we lose a member? Go with D2 Tarleton State or look at another school?It would suck to lose either school but I imagine Tarleton is choice #1 based off what Burnett has said.

Daytripper
May 25th, 2017, 09:55 AM
The Sunbelt is splitting into two, five team divisions. They have discussed adding a team to each division, 6 per division and 12 total. Do they pick up a SLC school for the West? Lamar is eager to make a jump. Sam Houston is probably the most desirable school from the Sun Belt's perspective. What's the contingency plan if we lose a member? Go with D2 Tarleton State or look at another school?

I hope we don't do it.

BEAR
May 25th, 2017, 11:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFDbDAS8VOA

Sammy94
May 25th, 2017, 04:18 PM
I hope we don't do it.

Me neither but I think its the vision of our president.

FormerPokeCenter
May 25th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I vote for option #2

You and every other sane Southland Conference fan! And anbody who's ever watched a Televised game from Conway!

cx500d
May 25th, 2017, 05:44 PM
You need a stadium first.

I hope we don't do it.

Schism55
May 25th, 2017, 06:50 PM
It would suck to lose either school but I imagine Tarleton is choice #1 based off what Burnett has said.
If Tarleton is your #1 choice for anything it may be the sign of the apocalypse.

BEAR
May 27th, 2017, 05:13 PM
UCA faces SHSU in the SLC championship......in baseball at 6 tonight on ESPN3.

Good year for both programs. xbowx

cx500d
May 27th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Did you watch "Everybody wants some?"

UCA faces SHSU in the SLC championship......in baseball at 6 tonight on ESPN3.

Good year for both programs. xbowx

Wildcat1997
May 27th, 2017, 05:51 PM
If Tarleton is your #1 choice for anything it may be the sign of the apocalypse.Oh they aren't THAT bad. There's gonna be problems with pretty much every school that could move up. Tarleton isn't that bad of an option. Especially if they really want to move up, because that tells me that they'll be committed to the move instead of half hearting it.

BEAR
May 27th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Did you watch "Everybody wants some?"

Guess we ran out of pitchers. Give up 5 hits in the 7th with a new pitcher. We're done.

Hood
May 28th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Nicholls had new turn installed. Looks more vibrant and lively than the carpet (with weird font and spacing in the end zones) we had prior. Actual seating area still leaves a lot to be desired. They are reporting a new scoreboard to replace the current embarrassment is forthcoming.

Old: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Y2Hood/Southland_Nicholls_State__John_L_Guidry_Stadium__1 600x1200.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Y2Hood/media/Southland_Nicholls_State__John_L_Guidry_Stadium__1 600x1200.jpg.html)

New:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Y2Hood/AR-170509602.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Y2Hood/media/AR-170509602.jpg.html)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Y2Hood/C_o4IqQUMAElBVv.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Y2Hood/media/C_o4IqQUMAElBVv.jpg.html)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Y2Hood/field_turf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Y2Hood/media/field_turf.jpg.html)

Daytripper
May 29th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Nicholls had new turn installed. Looks more vibrant and lively than the carpet (with weird font and spacing in the end zones) we had prior. Actual seating area still leaves a lot to be desired. They are reporting a new scoreboard to replace the current embarrassment is forthcoming.

Old: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Y2Hood/Southland_Nicholls_State__John_L_Guidry_Stadium__1 600x1200.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Y2Hood/media/Southland_Nicholls_State__John_L_Guidry_Stadium__1 600x1200.jpg.html)

New:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Y2Hood/AR-170509602.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Y2Hood/media/AR-170509602.jpg.html)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Y2Hood/C_o4IqQUMAElBVv.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Y2Hood/media/C_o4IqQUMAElBVv.jpg.html)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Y2Hood/field_turf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Y2Hood/media/field_turf.jpg.html)

Nice turf. Hope you get the scoreboard.

Wildcat1997
May 30th, 2017, 10:15 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25122&stc=1
Inside look at Wildcat Stadium.

SFA 93
May 30th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Nice turf...and in other news Loren Easly makes it official, he is transferring to North Texas from SFA.

Catatonic
May 30th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Nice turf...and in other news Loren Easly makes it official, he is transferring to North Texas from SFA.

That's two Southland players who have transferred to MeanGreenlandia. Easly follows ACU Tackle Riley Mayfield. Not to mention an OL coach from Lamar.

Daytripper
May 30th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Guess we ran out of pitchers. Give up 5 hits in the 7th with a new pitcher. We're done.

You guys had a good run in the tourney. Playing back to back is draining. Southland is getting better in baseball.

BEAR
May 30th, 2017, 01:10 PM
You guys had a good run in the tourney. Playing back to back is draining. Southland is getting better in baseball.

I was shocked McNeese didn't get in the post season. Regular season champs. Decent RPI. SLU had better RPI but didn't win their conference. Strange. But glad we got two in this year.

McNeese75
May 30th, 2017, 04:40 PM
I was shocked McNeese didn't get in the post season. Regular season champs. Decent RPI. SLU had better RPI but didn't win their conference. Strange. But glad we got two in this year.

With the depleted pitching ranks it was probably a good thing they were left out.

McCowboys
May 30th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Kudos to SFA for the interview with SLC Commish Tom Burnett. https://sfasawmill.com/s/219/purple-lights-podcast---slc-commissioner-tom-burnett---may-21st
Key takeaways re: football.

1. Coaches are happy with the nine game conference schedule.

2. SLC will continue to advocate for a permanent 12th game to permit more flexibility in OOC scheduling.

3. Don't expect expansion any time soon. Tarleton is interested and has been told "not at this time."

4. "Battle of the Piney Woods" drew praise from Burnett for its success.

5. No mention of how the football rotation is decided so this remains a mystery.

Is this unanimous as far as the coaches being happy with nine games? I sure don't think the majority of fans feel this way.

Catatonic
May 30th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Is this unanimous as far as the coaches being happy with nine games? I sure don't think the majority of fans feel this way.

I dunno about the vote among coaches. Count me as a fan who does not like it and does not understand at all how the rotation works.

Wildcat1997
May 31st, 2017, 09:36 AM
ACU has a brand new S&C Coach. Bret Miguez from SD School Of Mines has been hired. He also has a Masters from NWMSU, so there's the Dorrel connection.

Daytripper
May 31st, 2017, 04:15 PM
ACU has a brand new S&C Coach. Bret Miguez from SD School Of Mines has been hired. He also has a Masters from NWMSU, so there's the Dorrel connection.

This season the Bearkats will have two new coordinators and 3 new position coaches. The new position coaches are on defense, which gives me hope.

http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=11345&SPSID=92959

SFA 93
May 31st, 2017, 08:00 PM
SFA has 5 new position coaches and 1 position change

Ben Beasley safeties coach from Lamar
Jake Brown running back coach from TCU
Jeff Byrd defensive coordinator from UT-Martin
Tony Gilbert cornerback coach from Eastern Illinois
Josh Lawson linebackers coach from Southern Arkansas
Jeremy Moses moved to WR coach

Catatonic
June 1st, 2017, 04:48 AM
This season the Bearkats will have two new coordinators and 3 new position coaches. The new position coaches are on defense, which gives me hope.

http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=11345&SPSID=92959

I'll see your two new coordinators and three new position coaches and raise you a few. We have a whole new staff, with one "hold over" exception.

Virtually all of our coordinators and assistant coaches are straight out of D2. Like our new head coach, they are young and eager to prove themselves at the next level. That's the opposite of the approach at a lot of schools that look for FBS move downs to fill staff positions.

I like what I am hearing from players about the intensity of our new staff, we'll see how that plays out as the season unfolds.

Wildcat1997
June 1st, 2017, 09:50 AM
Here's a quick look at Wildcat Stadium the local news did yesterday. It's looking really good imo. http://www.ktxs.com/news/first-look-anthony-field-at-wildcat-stadium/524502633

Wildcat1997
June 1st, 2017, 10:35 AM
And ACU has another huge loss. LB Jakob Yandell has quit football.

Daytripper
June 1st, 2017, 11:38 AM
And ACU has another huge loss. LB Jakob Yandell has quit football.

I guess it's "get on the board with the new coach" or "get on the bus." Seems like a lot players have moved on. This is probably a good thing in the long run.

Catatonic
June 1st, 2017, 12:25 PM
I guess it's "get on the board with the new coach" or "get on the bus." Seems like a lot players have moved on. This is probably a good thing in the long run.

The one who hurt most was OT Riley Mayfield. He had planned to play for us this fall, was fully on board with the new coach, excited to be here and then discovered due to a clerical error he had not been granted a medical redshirt, which left him with one rather than two years of remaining eligibility. He was forced to decide between playing for us this fall and paying for his own grad school tuition next year or grad transferring now and letting the new school pick up the tab for his grad education. He used his head over his heart and chose to move on. I don't know if the processing error was on our end or the NCAA's, but it hardly matters.

A couple of others were good players but not on board with the more demanding culture of our new staff. I agree it's for the best in the long run, although in the short term it may hurt us.

Wildcat1997
June 1st, 2017, 01:59 PM
Here's another little video on Wildcat Stadium from ACU Athletics with some nice shots.
https://youtu.be/H9Uzt3OkXPE

Daytripper
June 5th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I know it's not football, but the Sam Houston baseball team advances to a Super Regional. Beat Arizona twice and Texas Tech twice!

Catatonic
June 5th, 2017, 05:30 PM
I know it's not football, but the Sam Houston baseball team advances to a Super Regional. Beat Arizona twice and Texas Tech twice!

As much as I hate orange and never root for a team whose color is any shade of it, I will make an exception in this case based on SLC pride. Congratuations and Go Kats!

SLC, SLC, SLC!

Serpentor
June 5th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Here's a quick look at Wildcat Stadium the local news did yesterday. It's looking really good imo. http://www.ktxs.com/news/first-look-anthony-field-at-wildcat-stadium/524502633

Looking good so far. Set to be ready for start of the season?

Catatonic
June 5th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Looking good so far. Set to be ready for start of the season?

Yes. Stadium is on track to finish all major components by the end of July, leaving August for Branding and graphics, furniture and other details. The hope is to have a two week period to identify and work out any glitches in early September before the home opener on September 16.

The Wildcats play at Colorado State on September 9 in their new stadium and return home to play at home in ours.

BEAR
June 5th, 2017, 07:56 PM

Way to go Bearkats! 2013 UCA was one game away against Miss. state from going. We had beaten them 5 times that year but we had a bad game in the rain against the eventual national champion if I recall right. Go get 'em Bearkats!

McNeese75
June 5th, 2017, 09:14 PM

xthumbsupx All things are possible with a great pitching staff xnodx

McCowboys
June 6th, 2017, 05:35 PM

Congratulations! Way to represent!

Wildcat1997
June 6th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I know it's not football, but the Sam Houston baseball team advances to a Super Regional. Beat Arizona twice and Texas Tech twice!Congrats! I'm hoping that ACU can get to your level someday. But first we have to get more than 3 conference wins.

BEAR
June 6th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Congrats! I'm hoping that ACU can get to your level someday. But first we have to get more than 3 conference wins.

You talking about football or baseball?

Wildcat1997
June 6th, 2017, 08:55 PM
You talking about football or baseball?I'm talking about baseball. We went 3-27 this past season in conference. And only had 13 wins overall. Most of our sports have had success during the transition, but not baseball.

Catatonic
June 7th, 2017, 06:03 AM
You talking about football or baseball?

Yes. :)

BEAR
June 7th, 2017, 07:48 AM
I'm talking about baseball. We went 3-27 this past season in conference. And only had 13 wins overall. Most of our sports have had success during the transition, but not baseball.

Well that was one more than football I guess. Good luck this season! xthumbsupx

Catatonic
June 7th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Well that was one more than football I guess. Good luck this season! xthumbsupx

Football is a mystery this year. I love our new coach and staff but it will take him a while to implement his system. At a minimum I expect us to double last year's win total, and really expect us to finish in the 5-6 or 6.5 range.

Baseball. The SLC is a tough baseball conference. With a couple of new pitchers coming in, I am hoping for improvement. Hope is the operant word. Who knows.....

BEAR
June 7th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Football is a mystery this year. I love our new coach and staff but it will take him a while to implement his system. At a minimum I expect us to double last year's win total, and really expect us to finish in the 5-6 or 6.5 range.

Baseball. The SLC is a tough baseball conference. With a couple of new pitchers coming in, I am hoping for improvement. Hope is the operant word. Who knows.....

Your football schedule: Where are you going to get 4 or 5 wins? I see maybe 3 but I don't know your new coach's schemes or recruits. Ideas? any insights I am missing?

ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY 2017 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE SCHEDULED GAMES
SEP 2 AT NEW MEXICO- LOSS
SEP 9 AT COLORADO STATE- LOSS
SEP 16 VS HOUSTON BAPTIST- WIN But you lost it last year. you seriously can't lose to them again.
SEP 23 VS STEPHEN F. AUSTIN - Loss Last year BUT IT WAS CLOSE- 9 point loss
SEP 30 AT INCARNATE WORD - win
OCT 7 VS MCNEESE - Loss
OCT 14 AT NICHOLLS - LOSS
OCT 21 VS SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA-LOSS
NOV 4 AT NORTHWESTERN STATE - Win. They got nothing
NOV 11 VS SAM HOUSTON STATE- loss
NOV 18 AT CENT ARK- loss

Daytripper
June 7th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Your football schedule: Where are you going to get 4 or 5 wins? I see maybe 3 but I don't know your new coach's schemes or recruits. Ideas? any insights I am missing?

SEP 16 VS HOUSTON BAPTIST- WIN But you lost it last year. you seriously can't lose to them again.
OCT 7 VS MCNEESE - Loss
NOV 18 AT CENT ARK- loss

ACU gets two FBS money games and we don't even get one. WTF is wrong with our AD? Just like everybody else, we could use the exposure and the money.

BEAR
June 7th, 2017, 10:06 AM
ACU gets two FBS money games and we don't even get one. WTF is wrong with our AD? Just like everybody else, we could use the exposure and the money.

That's true. SLC schools need some cash. This year we have:

Sat. 9/2/2017 Kansas State University- LOSS- um payday.
Sat. 9/9/2017 Murray State - WIN
Sat. 9/16/2017 Southeastern Louisiana Tossup to LOSS- SLU just had a bad game last year.
Sat. 9/30/2017 Sam Houston State LOSS- unless our pass defense gets better.
Sat. 10/7/2017 Houston Baptist WIN
Sat. 10/14/2017 Stephen F. Austin WIN
Sat. 10/21/2017 Northwestern State WIN
Sat. 10/28/2017 McNeese State University TOSSUP TO LOSS- Cowboys play better at UCA.
Sat. 11/4/2017 Lamar WIN
Sat. 11/11/2017 Incarnate Word WIN
Sat. 11/18/2017 Abilene Christian WIN

My prediction: 7-2/2 could go either way.

We could start the year out 1-3 and basically be out of the playoff picture. That sucks. xlolx We won't beat KState. SLU is really a talented team so it will be close. SHSU just throws the ball over our defense. xlolx IF we lose those three then ANY other loss and its over. McNeese is itching for revenge after beating them 35-0 at their place last year. Sigh.

Catatonic
June 7th, 2017, 10:13 AM

OCT 7 VS MCNEESE - Loss
NOV 18 AT CENT ARK- loss

Wins against HBU, UIW, Northwestern State
One or two Wins between SFA, Nicholls, SELA
One upset: UNM, CSU, McNeese, UCA, Sam

I expect we will gain strength as the season progresses and players become more familiar with new alignments.

Dorrel has served notice that the culture has changed. There is more accountability on and off the field. There are more players including incoming freshmen and transfers at summer camp. Dorrrel has worked hard to identify a few transfers to fill in holes in our roster, particularly on the O line and at corner. None of the transfers are headliners, just solid players who fit our needs.

Offense will be more balanced between run-pass than in the recent past. Defense is still a base 4-3 but coaching level has improved dramatically. I expect fewer 3 and outs on offense. Keeping the defense off the field longer will help, along with better preparation and game planning on the defensive side of the ball. Dallas Sealy is one of the best QB's in the conference and we have a tandem of running backs that will benefit from improved blocking along the front. On Defense, the leader is LB Sam Denmark.

If we don't win easily against HBU in game 3, forget everything I just said. We will suck. For now, I am optimistic about this year and thrilled about next year when I think we will challenge those of you in the upper tier of the conference.

Panther88
June 7th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Here's another little video on Wildcat Stadium from ACU Athletics with some nice shots.
https://youtu.be/H9Uzt3OkXPE

That is a very beautiful venue. ACU recruited very well while @ the D-II ranks so I'm curious to see how that branding and recruiting will go w/ the new venue in place. Naturally, I'd assume a lot of (past) kids on the roster are native texas kids, right? Too lazy to look your roster.

Wildcat1997
June 7th, 2017, 12:15 PM
That is a very beautiful venue. ACU recruited very well while @ the D-II ranks so I'm curious to see how that branding and recruiting will go w/ the new venue in place. Naturally, I'd assume a lot of (past) kids on the roster are native texas kids, right? Too lazy to look your roster.You'd be right. Even now our roster is mainly Texas kids. This past recruiting class I think we only had 1 out of state recruit. And he was from Oklahoma. We're just blessed to be in a very fertile recruiting state.

SFA 93
June 7th, 2017, 12:25 PM
ACU FOOTBALL

JUCO 9
FBS 3
DIVISION II Transfers 2

FRESHMEN 36
SOPHOMORE 17
JUNIOR 21
SENIOR 11

TEXAS 69
OKLAHOMA 7
CALIFORNIA 2
TENNESSEE 2
FLORIDA 1
ILLINOIS 1
NEW MEXICO 1
KANSAS 1
GEORGIA 1

SFA 93
June 7th, 2017, 12:40 PM
SFA Football

JUCO 12
FBS 11
DIVISION II TRANSFERS 3

FRESHMEN 34
SOPHOMORE 25
JUNIOR 22
SENIOR 10

TEXAS 81
LOUISIANA 3
FLORIDA 2
OKLAHOMA 1
ILLINOIS 1
ARIZONA 1
GEORGIA 1
CALIFORNIA 1

SFA 93
June 7th, 2017, 12:56 PM
SHSU Football

JUCO 5
FBS 12
FCS TRANSFERS 1

FRESHMEN 24
SOPHOMORE 30
JUNIOR 22
SENIOR 14

TEXAS 80
LOUISIANA 4
FLORIDA 2
OKLAHOMA 2
NORTH CAROLINA 1
ARIZONA 1

SFA 93
June 7th, 2017, 01:15 PM
​UCA FOOTBALL

JUCO 8
FBS 4
FCS TRANSFERS 1
DIVISION II Transfers 1

FRESHMEN 43
SOPHOMORE 12
JUNIOR 17
SENIOR 26

ARKANSAS 33
TEXAS 22
MISSISSIPPI 16
FLORIDA 8
ALABAMA 5
LOUISIANA 5
OKLAHOMA 4
MISSOURI 2
TENNESSEE 1
GEORGIA 1

SFA 93
June 7th, 2017, 01:25 PM
McNeese State Football

JUCO 0
FBS 9
FCS TRANSFERS 0
DIVISION II Transfers 0

FRESHMEN 26
SOPHOMORE 25
JUNIOR 22
SENIOR 26

LOUISIANA 57
TEXAS 24
FLORIDA 1

Catatonic
June 7th, 2017, 01:36 PM
SFA,

Where are you getting this information? For ACU at least it must be based on the roster for last year? We have not posted a 2017 roster. It will look somewhat different--fewer juco's and more FBS transfers, for example.

Panther88
June 7th, 2017, 03:56 PM
You'd be right. Even now our roster is mainly Texas kids. This past recruiting class I think we only had 1 out of state recruit. And he was from Oklahoma. We're just blessed to be in a very fertile recruiting state.

How it should be, imho.

Panther88
June 7th, 2017, 03:58 PM
​UCA FOOTBALL

JUCO 8
FBS 4
FCS TRANSFERS 1
DIVISION II Transfers 1

FRESHMEN 43
SOPHOMORE 12
JUNIOR 17
SENIOR 26

ARKANSAS 33
TEXAS 22
MISSISSIPPI 16
FLORIDA 8
ALABAMA 5
LOUISIANA 5
OKLAHOMA 4
MISSOURI 2
TENNESSEE 1
GEORGIA 1

SFA Football

JUCO 12
FBS 11
DIVISION II TRANSFERS 3

FRESHMEN 34
SOPHOMORE 25
JUNIOR 22
SENIOR 10

TEXAS 81
LOUISIANA 3
FLORIDA 2
OKLAHOMA 1
ILLINOIS 1
ARIZONA 1
GEORGIA 1
CALIFORNIA 1

SHSU Football

JUCO 5
FBS 12
FCS TRANSFERS 1

FRESHMEN 24
SOPHOMORE 30
JUNIOR 22
SENIOR 14

TEXAS 80
LOUISIANA 4
FLORIDA 2
OKLAHOMA 2
NORTH CAROLINA 1
ARIZONA 1

Hella' information SFA 93. Good work.

Catatonic
June 7th, 2017, 04:01 PM
How it should be, imho.

Our new coaches are mostly from Missouri. They hit the ground running when they arrived in Texas getting out in the state and meeting coaches. Most of the offers we have out for next year are from Texas, with a few from Oklahoma and elsewhere. I really like that our coaches have made it a point to get to know the coaches in our areas. For whatever reason our previous staff didn't have a very good relationship with Abilene high schools.

Daytripper
June 7th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Our new coaches are mostly from Missouri. They hit the ground running when they arrived in Texas getting out in the state and meeting coaches. Most of the offers we have out for next year are from Texas, with a few from Oklahoma and elsewhere. I really like that our coaches have made it a point to get to know the coaches in our areas. For whatever reason our previous staff didn't have a very good relationship with Abilene high schools.

Kids want their families to be able to see them play. There is enough talent in Texas to go around, even though we lose a lot of the top tier 5-star talent to the SEC (excluding TAMU). If they would stay and play for in-state Big 12 teams, more of the next tier would drop down to G5 and FCS.

SFA 93
June 7th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Yes, just did it by eye off of the official athletic websites to get an idea who has what.

BEAR
June 7th, 2017, 08:56 PM
​UCA FOOTBALL

JUCO 8
FBS 4
FCS TRANSFERS 1
DIVISION II Transfers 1

FRESHMEN 43

SOPHOMORE 12
JUNIOR 17
SENIOR 26

43 freshman. Man. :(

SFA 93
June 7th, 2017, 09:43 PM
That includes red shirt freshmen as well.

citdog
June 7th, 2017, 10:50 PM

Feels Good Man

Daytripper
June 8th, 2017, 05:23 PM

Look out in three years!! xrolleyesx

Wildcat1997
June 9th, 2017, 08:38 PM
ACU FOOTBALL

JUCO 9
FBS 3
DIVISION II Transfers 2

FRESHMEN 36
SOPHOMORE 17
JUNIOR 21
SENIOR 11

TEXAS 69
OKLAHOMA 7
CALIFORNIA 2
TENNESSEE 2
FLORIDA 1
ILLINOIS 1
NEW MEXICO 1
KANSAS 1
GEORGIA 1This is 2016's roster and we're gonna have a LOT of players coming in this fall. 2017 will look a lot different than 2016.

Serpentor
June 9th, 2017, 11:10 PM

Damn, did your coach clean house or something?

Catatonic
June 10th, 2017, 04:40 AM
This is 2016's roster and we're gonna have a LOT of players coming in this fall. 2017 will look a lot different than 2016.

By subtraction as well as addition. #TheDorrelEffect. #100%Buynorbyebye

BEAR
June 10th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Damn, did your coach clean house or something?

He redshirted nearly every freshman last year then added 20+ this year. That makes one huge class. The idea could work if he red shirts this incoming class this fall. He did fairly well during the season and in the playoffs so it's hard to contest his methods. He is apparently filling his rosters with freshman instead of FBS transfers which I like for the team. I think we will see some real talent this year that didn't get to make it to the field last year. I just hope he has some pass defense as that was our weakness.

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 11:51 AM
I would give ANYTHING if WCU would schedule more Southland teams. We did have the one game in Cullowhee back in 2004 when we beat Nicholls State 28-7 and met some awesome Colonels fans. We gave them a sampling of some good Dillsboro, NC "B & AL's chili" and they returned the favor with some awesome gumbo. Good folks and I hate that RITA rained out our 2005 return trip to Nicholls. Maybe someday again.

Catatonic
June 10th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I would give ANYTHING if WCU would schedule more Southland teams. We did have the one game in Cullowhee back in 2004 when we beat Nicholls State 28-7 and met some awesome Colonels fans. We gave them a sampling of some good Dillsboro, NC "B & AL's chili" and they returned the favor with some awesome gumbo. Good folks and I hate that RITA rained out our 2005 return trip to Nicholls. Maybe someday again.

Love the mountains of NC! Beautiful area.

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Love the mountains of NC! Beautiful area.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/df/46/dc/df46dc60edf944d05d5b9ef31cd92a1f.jpg

SFA 93
June 11th, 2017, 10:25 AM
SFA WR Justice Liggins making some noise in the CFL.

https://twitter.com/russ_sportsguy/status/873748838154194944

BEAR
June 12th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Here's what I think might be the games of the week each week in the SLC this coming year. I went off a an ESPN search for each team because our conference website doesn't even have the schedules up yet. How pathetic.

Yes some may have better game options but I had to go with what I could find. I picked weeks 1-11 but understand the week's may not line up exactly. Please feel free to add or change it. I chose as many teams as possible but some match ups were just more intriguing than others.

Week 1- Richmond at SHSU, McNeese at Nicholls
Week 2- ACU at Colorado State
Week 3- SLU at UCA, Nicholls at SHSU
Week 4- SHSU at UCA
Week 5- McNeese at SFA (SFA has SHSU and UCA next. Yikes! )
Week 6- SHSU at SFA
Week 7- Lamar at SHSU
Week 8- McNeese at UCA
Week 9- SLU at McNeese
Week 10- Nicholls at SFA
Week 11- Nicholls at SLU

Daytripper
June 13th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Here's what I think might be the games of the week each week in the SLC this coming year. I went off a an ESPN search for each team because our conference website doesn't even have the schedules up yet. How pathetic.

Yes some may have better game options but I had to go with what I could find. I picked weeks 1-11 but understand the week's may not line up exactly. Please feel free to add or change it. I chose as many teams as possible but some match ups were just more intriguing than others.

Week 4- SHSU at UCA
Week 6- SHSU at SFA
Week 7- Lamar at SHSU
Week 8- McNeese at UCA
Week 9- SLU at McNeese
Week 10- Nicholls at SFA
Week 11- Nicholls at SLU

I think we could have three teams in the playoffs this year. SHSU, UCA and one of Nicholls or McNeese.

Catatonic
June 13th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Week 4- SHSU at UCA
Week 6- SHSU at SFA
Week 7- Lamar at SHSU
Week 8- McNeese at UCA
Week 9- SLU at McNeese
Week 10- Nicholls at SFA
Week 11- Nicholls at SLU

I'm going with SFA at ACU in week 4 as co game of the week. ACU fans have very high expectations going into the season with a new coach who has won 30 games in a row, has averaged over 12 wins a year over his 6 year career, winning 3 national championships and 3 national coach of the year honors along the way all at the D2 level. He doesn't have all the pieces in place yet to be a serious threat to win the SLC, but the SFA game will provide an opportunity for SLC observers to see what kind of progress we have made. SFA will be a slight favorite, based mostly on last year's score but if we have made the kind of progress we believe we have, the Jacks will have quite a tussle on their hands.

BEAR
June 13th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I'm going with SFA at ACU in week 4 as co game of the week. ACU fans have very high expectations going into the season with a new coach who has won 30 games in a row, has averaged over 12 wins a year over his 6 year career, winning 3 national championships and 3 national coach of the year honors along the way all at the D2 level. He doesn't have all the pieces in place yet to be a serious threat to win the SLC, but the SFA game will provide an opportunity for SLC observers to see what kind of progress we have made. SFA will be a slight favorite, based mostly on last year's score but if we have made the kind of progress we believe we have, the Jacks will have quite a tussle on their hands.

Sounds like things are looking up for ACU! That's great news for the conference as I always thought ACU would be a player in the conference in short time. While the game vs SFA will tell ACU fans where they stand in conference, the SHSU (9-0) vs UCA (8-1) game is likely a bigger one as it might determine early the conference title contenders plus the two teams were playoff winners last year and APPEAR to be stronger this year. If UCA and SHSU lose their first three games, then it's a different story for sure. But, not because I'm a Bear fan, but because both teams returning play such a big game so early on.

Catatonic
June 13th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Sounds like things are looking up for ACU! That's great news for the conference as I always thought ACU would be a player in the conference in short time. While the game vs SFA will tell ACU fans where they stand in conference, the SHSU (9-0) vs UCA (8-1) game is likely a bigger one as it might determine early the conference title contenders plus the two teams were playoff winners last year and APPEAR to be stronger this year. If UCA and SHSU lose their first three games, then it's a different story for sure. But, not because I'm a Bear fan, but because both teams returning play such a big game so early on.

I don't disagree with you. Since you list two games some other weeks, I thought it ok to add one. Call it the underard before the main event.

SFA 93
June 13th, 2017, 06:56 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25226&stc=1

TheRevSFA
June 13th, 2017, 07:46 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic with Foster Sawyer at QB. He fits our system. I think we will be in playoff discussion but won't make the cut

SFA 93
June 13th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Sawyer will have some big targets.

If we can get the OL to gel and give him time, our offense can be something special.

WR:#2 Frank Iheanacho 6-6; 230 (Jr.)
TE:#87 Allen Arclies 6-4; 235 (Fr.)
WR:#88 Dylan Parker 6-4; 185 (Fr.)
TE:#86 Will Taylor 6-3; 248 (Sr.)
WR:#80 Tamrick Pace 6-3; 200 (So.) (All-SLC) HM; All-American (Freshman)
WR:#82 Cody Williams 6-3; 212 (So.)
WR:#00 Lar’Darion Cobb 6-3; 190 (So.)
WR:#19 Thomas Nolley 6-3; 190 (Fr.)
WR:#5 Terian Goree 6-3; 185 (Jr.)
TE:#89 Kiki Hill 6-2; 235 (So.) (All-SLC) HM
WR:#81 Jonathan Sam 6-2; 200 (So.)
WR:#31 Trent Williams 6-2; 195 (So.)
WR:#85 Darby Baldwin 6-2; 185 (R/Fr.)

and then
WR:#9 Trae Hart 5-11; 175 (Sr.) (All-SLC) 2nd Team
WR:#4 Romellio Bentley 5-9; 180 (Jr.) JUCO
WR:#83 Tristen Gomez 5-9; 175 (Jr.)
WR:#22 Josh Thompson 5-11; 175 (Fr.)

Yes at QB and WR we are stacked.

I just hope we don't get the same ole injury story.

BEAR
June 14th, 2017, 07:21 AM
I don't disagree with you. Since you list two games some other weeks, I thought it ok to add one. Call it the undecard before the main event.

My apologies. It is a big game and may be even bigger because a bad start by either conference leader from last year and ACU comes into play very quickly. While I don't see UCA beating #18 FBS Kansas State, a loss to SLU at home then taking on SHSU would technically end their playoff hopes and put SHSU on cruise control (if they continue to play strong like they did last year). The second team in conference is likely McNeese, SFA, SLU, or ACU..so any of those four could cause havoc in the standings. Good option.

Daytripper
June 14th, 2017, 07:39 AM
My apologies. It is a big game and may be even bigger because a bad start by either conference leader from last year and ACU comes into play very quickly. While I don't see UCA beating #18 FBS Kansas State, a loss to SLU at home then taking on SHSU would technically end their playoff hopes and put SHSU on cruise control (if they continue to play strong like they did last year). The second team in conference is likely McNeese, SFA, SLU, or ACU..so any of those four could cause havoc in the standings. Good option.

Sam has a pretty sporty early schedule. Richmond, Nicholls, UCA and SFA are four of the first five (PVAMU is the fifth). I"m guessing we come out of that with at least one, and maybe two, losses.

Catatonic
June 14th, 2017, 07:57 AM

I'm not THAT optimistic about ACU this year. I do think we are capable of spoiling some of the leaders chances of making the playoffs and that we will regain some credibility this year but we are realistically still a year away from playing with the big boys.

Wildcat1997
June 14th, 2017, 10:41 AM
FBS Players Transferring To ACU So Far:
DT Daytreion Dean-Arkansas
CB Cyd Calvin-TCU
CB Jesse Montgomery-SMU
S Erik Huhn-UT (Enrolled)
DT Jaleel Carter-Fresno State
OL Bill Weber-Toledo (Enrolled)
OL Keaton Bates-SMU (Enrolled)

There's the potential of also adding some more players to this list in the future. Hopefully one will be a RB.

Catatonic
June 14th, 2017, 05:07 PM
FBS Players Transferring To ACU So Far:
DT Daytreion Dean-Arkansas
CB Cyd Calvin-TCU
CB Jesse Montgomery-SMU
S Erik Huhn-UT (Enrolled)
DT Jaleel Carter-Fresno State
OL Bill Weber-Toledo (Enrolled)
OL Keaton Bates-SMU (Enrolled)

There's the potential of also adding some more players to this list in the future. Hopefully one will be a RB.

The big rumor out of Abilene town is that we are treading water. There are as many players going out as coming in.

Wildcat1997
June 14th, 2017, 05:48 PM
The big rumor out of Abilene town is that we are treading water. There are as many players going out as coming in.That's unfortunately gonna happen when a new staff comes in. But it'll only speed up the process if we can get the players out who don't buy into the culture and get players in who do.

BEAR
June 15th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Anyone have their summer camps going on right now? Not the ones high school kids get to attend for a fee, but your team camps? xeyebrowx

Wildcat1997
June 15th, 2017, 06:43 PM
DL Jaleel Carter from Fresno State makes it official. No we're just waiting on Dean,Calvin and Montgomery.

citdog
June 15th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Dean,Calvin and Montgomery.

Sounds like a law firm.

SFA 93
June 15th, 2017, 09:39 PM
From the South.

cx500d
June 17th, 2017, 11:20 AM
From the South.

I would think Beauregard, Stuart, and Lee

BEAR
June 17th, 2017, 10:14 PM
UCA Sr. O- lineman Stockton Mallett spent the day getting ready for this:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25251&stc=1

She said YES!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25252&stc=1

Video board reads "Make me a Mallett" and the teams are Stockton and Lexi!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25253&stc=1

Congrats to Stock and family! What a way to start your senior year!

citdog
June 17th, 2017, 10:37 PM
UCA Sr. O- lineman Stockton Mallett spent the day getting ready for this:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25251&stc=1

She said YES!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25252&stc=1

Video board reads "Make me a Mallett" and the teams are Stockton and Lexi!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25253&stc=1

Congrats to Stock and family! What a way to start your senior year!

I know that Arkansas is a few decades behind the rest of us but he does know that he doesn't HAVE to marry her to **** her right?

BEAR
June 20th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Let's look at the Southland's 2017 OOC schedule to see if we can get some respect at the FCS level:

FBS level as ranked by FBS on SB Nation.
FCS level as ranked by Massey Ratings.

UCA:
Kansas State- #18 in FBS. Likely a loss.
Murray State- #74 in FCS. Likely a win.

UCA loses to KSU, beats Murray State but has nothing to offer the playoff committee at the end of the year unless they win the conference. SHSU has their sights on it though.

McNeese:
Florida Tech- Division II. Better win.
Alcorn State- #84 in FCS. Win

Even going undefeated through conference the only thing McNeese will offer is a warm body for the playoffs but they seriously have to get through SHSU and UCA to do that. Otherwise their offering of that schedule is warm at best going 9-2.

SHSU:
Richmond- #13 in FCS. No idea.
Prairie View- #65 in FCS. Win.

A win against Richmond and wrapping up the conference will assure a playoff spot. But again, unless UCA and McNeese make some noise, the rest of the offering of schedule is horrible. Go 9-2 with losses to Richmond and ONE SLC team...and there's nothing there.

Nicholls:
Texas A&M- #19 in the FBS. Loss.
Prairie View- #65 in the FCS. Win.

It will take a miracle for Nicholls to make a playoff spot if they don't win the conference.

Southeastern Louisiana
UL-Lafeyette- #112 in FBS. No idea.
Bethune-Cookman- #90 in FCS. NO idea.

Eh. this one's a toughie. Gotta win conference to get a spot. Otherwise there's just too many teams in the SLC that will keep them home.

Northwestern State:
Louisiana Tech- #82 in FBS. Loss
Grambling- #20 in FCS. No idea

Defeated in conference last year, I don't see them winning the conference so no at large spot for them.

SFA:
SMU- #81 in FBS. Loss
Southern Utah- #27 in FCS. Likely loss.

It's a rebuilding year for SFA even with all the talent coming in. Win the conference or stay home. SMU, SUU, SHSU, UCA, McNEESE...just too many hurdles IMO.

ACU:
New Mexico- #110 in FBS. Likely loss.
Colorado State- #43 in FBS. Loss.

It's a year to earn some money..and experience..no playoffs.

HBU:
Texas State- #129 in FBS. Loss.
Texas Southern- #107 in FCS. Loss.

Um. No. Too many OOC and conference hurdles. Not time yet.

UIW:
Fresno State- #115 in FBS. Loss
Sac State- #101 in FCS. Loss.

Not going to happen. Just isn't.

Lamar:
North Texas- #106 in FBS.
Texas- Permian Basin- #Division II

A win over NT and TPB plus a few more in the SLC will get them a look but the schedule is filled with 100 plus ranked teams. Not gonna happen unless the conference is won outright.

SLC against:

FBS top 25- 2 games (likely losses)
FBS 26 - 100- 3 games (likely losses)
FBS 100+- 6 games (might get a win or two)

FCS top 25- 2 games (Might get ONE win)
FCS 26-130+- 7 games (a couple of wins)

Division II- 2 games. (two wins)

The SLC isn't giving the playoff committees anything of value to hold on to.

SHSU has a good game against Richmond. That's a plus.
SFA has SUU. Not bad.
The rest are either body bag games for the SLC or for their opponents.

The SLC has to do better OOC in the FCS and get some midlevel wins against FBS teams even if they don't win their conference to consider more than just two teams.

For example, UCA beat midlevel FBS conference champion Arkansas State last year and stayed within 5 to an FCS playoff team Samford (coulda woulda shoulda). UCA lost only ONE conference game (SHSU) and did well against the teams in conference that were tough. Nicholls State for example.

SHSU ran the conference. Got the autobid. Did well in the playoffs.

Thoughts? xeyebrowx

McNeese75
June 20th, 2017, 02:21 PM
I got nothing, and by the way, McNeese does not even play SHSU this year xeyebrowx

BEAR
June 20th, 2017, 02:25 PM
I got nothing, and by the way, McNeese does not even play SHSU this year xeyebrowx

Yeah. I noticed that. I was thinking more along the lines of winning every conference game they got and SHSU having a bit of a falling.

I wonder how many games the SLC teams have to make it a close score to gain some credibility within the FCS.

FBS games are typically loses for nearly all FCS teams.

Upper level FCS games need to be won.

Lower level FCS games had better be won.

McNeese75
June 20th, 2017, 02:56 PM
The only games that will be of any credit to strength of schedule will probably be UCA, Nicholls (maybe) SFA (maybe) and SELU (maybe) but they will mean nothing to the rest of the country xlolx

BEAR
June 20th, 2017, 03:06 PM
The only games that will be of any credit to strength of schedule will probably be UCA, Nicholls (maybe) SFA (maybe) and SELU (maybe) but they will mean nothing to the rest of the country xlolx

I don't look forward to the McNeese vs UCA game..even at home...after last year's game. xlolx

Wildcat1997
June 20th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Here's the new scoreboard in action at Wildcat Stadium. The resolution 504 x 1296 with 15HD pixel layout. I have no idea how good that is, but the picture doesn't get drowned out in the Sun so I'm good.
https://twitter.com/ldeleon5/status/877256581292969984

Nickels
June 20th, 2017, 07:34 PM
The SLC has to do better OOC in the FCS and get some midlevel wins against FBS teams even if they don't win their conference to consider more than just two teams.

Our conference is ran by self serving assholes who'd rather have a bigger footprint, for more weekend trips, than running a strong and respected conference. We're all ****ed with this **** 9 game round robin conference schedule. I still haven't figured out why teams don't play for 3 years or the general outline for the rotations. Makes zero sense. If you're going to have a **** 9 game round robin then it at least needs to be sensible.

Even when you make it out of the conference you're woefully unprepared to play strong teams in the playoffs.

**** the SLC.

BEAR
June 21st, 2017, 09:02 AM
Some off season graphics for football done by those with actual skills in creating them. Post 'em if you got 'em!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCnDHy9VwAAP5sg.jpg

SFA 93
June 21st, 2017, 02:08 PM
1995 - SFA vs McNeese State

Largest crowd in Homer Bryce Stadium history - 23,617
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCY67_vXoAAuu0H.jpg

McNeese75
June 21st, 2017, 03:49 PM
1995 - SFA vs McNeese State

Largest crowd in Homer Bryce Stadium history - 23,617
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCY67_vXoAAuu0H.jpg

That was a good year xnodx

Sammy94
June 21st, 2017, 04:43 PM
Back to back games on ESPNU...... Richmond, then Prairie View

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211633492&DB_OEM_ID=19900

SFA 93
June 21st, 2017, 05:10 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25272&stc=1

Panther88
June 22nd, 2017, 10:43 AM
Back to back games on ESPNU...... Richmond, then Prairie View

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211633492&DB_OEM_ID=19900

This could be the worst for PV if sTu moves our scheduled Sat LDC w/e game to Sunday. And, SHSU has almost two weeks off prior to the PV game... xsmhx

FormerPokeCenter
June 22nd, 2017, 12:42 PM
McNeese fans are hard at work preparing for Tropical Storm Cindy...er...I mean Football Season...

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19424501_1342562932445792_2108745306748384757_n.jp g?oh=321351c3b7c75755b59c1a9b3e1343b7&oe=59D628AB

BEAR
June 22nd, 2017, 01:33 PM
Be safe SLC fans. I know Cindy is no joke even if its not hurricane force. We're already getting heavy rains here in Arkansas from it. Be safe. xthumbsupx

Sammy94
June 22nd, 2017, 02:52 PM
This could be the worst for PV if sTu moves our scheduled Sat LDC w/e game to Sunday. And, SHSU has almost two weeks off prior to the PV game... xsmhx

It will show off that new stadium on national tv. No matter the outcome, national exposure is great for both teams.

Wildcat1997
June 22nd, 2017, 02:54 PM
It will show off that new stadium on national tv. No matter the outcome, national exposure is great for both teams.It would be nice if they could do that for us.

Wildcat1997
June 23rd, 2017, 12:50 PM
Here is how Texas Football magazine predicts the Southland.

1. Sam Houston State

2. Central Arkansas

3. McNeese

4. Nicholls

5. Stephen F Austin

6. Southeastern LA

7. ACU

8. Houston Baptist

9. Incarnate Word

10. Lamar

11. Northwestern State

FormerPokeCenter
June 23rd, 2017, 01:04 PM
I don't see Northwestern being dead last behind HB, or IWU....I dont see SFA at 5th, either...nor Nicholls at 4th. SFA's too low...Nicholls is too high...

Sammy94
June 23rd, 2017, 01:07 PM

1. Sam Houston State

2. Central Arkansas

3. McNeese

4. Nicholls

5. Stephen F Austin

6. Southeastern LA

7. ACU

8. Houston Baptist

9. Incarnate Word

10. Lamar

11. Northwestern State

That looks about right. I think 3-7 could be a toss up.

TheRevSFA
June 23rd, 2017, 02:25 PM
With the exception of dropping SLU and moving around 2 bottom feeders, it's the same as the 2016 final standings.

Thats some real prognosticative **** right there

Nickels
June 23rd, 2017, 07:26 PM
With the exception of dropping SLU and moving around 2 bottom feeders, it's the same as the 2016 final standings.

Thats some real prognosticative **** right there
This

Daytripper
June 24th, 2017, 10:12 AM

1. Sam Houston State

2. Central Arkansas

3. McNeese

4. Nicholls

5. Stephen F Austin

6. Southeastern LA

7. ACU

8. Houston Baptist

9. Incarnate Word

10. Lamar

11. Northwestern State

Looks pretty good to me. I predict there will be at least one team that surprises and takes a leap into the playoff hunt. Probably Nicholls or SFA. I think McNeese might drop off. Not sure about their direction. Life is good when Lamar is predicted to finish behind HBU and UIW....

SFA 93
June 24th, 2017, 07:14 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25321&stc=1

BEAR
June 26th, 2017, 01:27 PM

1. Sam Houston State

2. Central Arkansas

3. McNeese

4. Nicholls

5. Stephen F Austin

6. Southeastern LA

7. ACU

8. Houston Baptist

9. Incarnate Word

10. Lamar

11. Northwestern State

I'm thinking:

1. SHSU- I honestly don't see this changing. Doesn't play McNeese and goes against UCA that has no pass defense.
2. UCA- I'm not really sure about this. I think they are better but what difference will that make if the pass defense is not there.

3. Nicholls- Getting better and better. Might be #2 in the end.
4. McNeese- Is better than they played last year. Likely #3 or even #2 because NO SHSU on schedule.
5. SLU- Plays tough and last year was a bad year.

6. SFA- Tons of really good talent coming in. Might end up 3rd in conference if the chips fall right.
7. ACU- not there yet.
8. IWU- Getting better.
9. Lamar- struggles even with talent.
10. NWST- in the hated LUL.
11. HBU- Getting better but not this year.

TheRevSFA
June 26th, 2017, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking:

1. SHSU- I honestly don't see this changing. Doesn't play McNeese and goes against UCA that has no pass defense.
2. UCA- I'm not really sure about this. I think they are better but what difference will that make if the pass defense is not there.

3. Nicholls- Getting better and better. Might be #2 in the end.
4. McNeese- Is better than they played last year. Likely #3 or even #2 because NO SHSU on schedule.
5. SLU- Plays tough and last year was a bad year.

6. SFA- Tons of really good talent coming in. Might end up 3rd in conference if the chips fall right.
7. ACU- not there yet.
8. IWU- Getting better.
9. Lamar- struggles even with talent.
10. NWST- in the hated LUL.
11. HBU- Getting better but not this year.

I think Nicholls is getting too much credit. Their defense was stout but their offense was mediocre and wasn't good enough to get the W.

I'll gladly eat my words

McNeese75
June 27th, 2017, 08:23 AM
I think Nicholls is getting too much credit. Their defense was stout but their offense was mediocre and wasn't good enough to get the W.

I'll gladly eat my words

Well, I wish it were the Jacks going into Thibodaux on August 31st to find out instead of the Cowboys xnodx

McNeese72
June 27th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Well, I wish it were the Jacks going into Thibodaux on August 31st to find out instead of the Cowboys xnodx

Thursday night games suck!!! Especially away games!!!

Doc

Nickels
June 27th, 2017, 12:58 PM

I'll gladly eat my words
What wrong with me? I'm agreeing with Rev again...

TheRevSFA
June 27th, 2017, 01:11 PM
What wrong with me? I'm agreeing with Rev again...

Damnit man.

See you at BOTPW...

McCowboys
June 27th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Damnit man.

See you at BOTPW...

Nicholls had a freshman QB so he and the offense should be better with a year under their belt, and if the defense is as good or better, they should be tough. They always seem to get fired up and play their best against McNeese, no matter what, anyway.

McCowboys
June 28th, 2017, 04:39 AM
http://www.dailycomet.com/news/20170626/nicholls-quarterback-embraces-role-as-teacher-at-manning-camp

McCowboys
June 28th, 2017, 04:42 AM
Bad things happen everywhere. NO School is immune. http://acuoptimist.com/2017/06/sophomore-football-player-arrested-sexual-assault-charge/

Daytripper
June 28th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Bad things happen everywhere. NO School is immune. http://acuoptimist.com/2017/06/sophomore-football-player-arrested-sexual-assault-charge/

After the Baylor cluster**** I don't think ACU will take too much time in jettisoning this (alleged) piece of crap. Innocent until proven guilt, though.

- - - Updated - - -

After the Baylor cluster**** I don't think ACU will take too much time in jettisoning this (alleged) piece of crap. Innocent until proven guilt, though.

BEAR
June 28th, 2017, 07:36 AM

Deng Majok, a sophomore criminal justice major from Amarillo, played defensive back for the football team. Last year he was named to the Fall 2016 Southland Conference Commissioner’s honor roll.

Really? A CJ major.....I just don't know what to say....xoopsxHe's gonna have to believe in that "dang magic" to get out of this one.

Catatonic
June 28th, 2017, 08:26 AM

- - - Updated - - -

He is suspended pending the outcome, but, yeah, I doubt ACU will hesitate to dump him. Coach Dorrel has zero patience for off the field problems of any sort. Deng was a walk on who didn't play last year.

McCowboys
June 28th, 2017, 03:57 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I agree about ACU and how they will handle this. IMO, Baylor football and Louisville basketball should have been given the death penalty.