PDA

View Full Version : NIT rule experiment - 2017 Edition

bonarae
February 14th, 2017, 02:21 AM
The experiment still doesn't follow the FIBA rules used everywhere overseas, however, the new experimental rule resets the seven-foul rule after each half... xcoffeex

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18677489/nit-experiment-reset-fouls-mimic-4-quarter-game

Laker
February 14th, 2017, 07:39 AM
Years ago Minnesota high schools moved from four 8 minute quarters to two 18 minute halves. They said they did it to match college games- but the pros and the Olympics are still in quarters.

No one ever answered my question as why they wanted to get rid of two of the most exciting plays in basketball- the buzzer beaters at the end of the quarters.

clenz
February 14th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Years ago Minnesota high schools moved from four 8 minute quarters to two 18 minute halves. They said they did it to match college games- but the pros and the Olympics are still in quarters.

No one ever answered my question as why they wanted to get rid of two of the most exciting plays in basketball- the buzzer beaters at the end of the quarters.
Hated playing Minnesota schools when I was in HS. It was dumb.

The rule thing does nothing to speed the game up. Now you're giving teams MORE fouls to play with before the send a team to the line. There can now be 24 stoppages of play in a half before free throws are awarded compared to 12. You are also instantly giving two free throws at 7? That takes out the missed front end of 1-1s to save time.

Go to quarters. If you want to do the foul thing go with the 5th foul being 2 shots and resetting every quarter.

Makes end of game strategy very different as fouling to extend games can either cement games a lot sooner or make games take much longer.