PDA

View Full Version : Shrine Game IS ON

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Kyle Shotwell was playing pretty well on the last defensive series for the west.

Anyone else watching?

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
David Ball just made a nice catch after Steve Baylark broke a pretty solid run where one of his blockers made a nice play to keep Shotwell away from Baylark.

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Ball just made another nice catch. He is having a very good game.

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Gutierrez just barely overthrew Ball on a TD pass.

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM
The announcers were wrong about only 4 non I-A guys in the game. They are still calling it I-AA (like most do). I suspect people will call it the FCS next year. There are more than 4. Zak Deossie, David Ball, Kyle Shotwell, Steve Baylark, Justin Durant, Alonzo Coleman, Matt Gutierrez, Michael Coe, Travarous Bain, and D2 WR Jacoby Jones are all in it. That is 10 total. A far cry from the 4 they mentioned.

Umass74
January 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM
27 yards for Baylark on that carry!!:hurray: :hurray:

UNHWildCats
January 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM
WHAT A FREAKING CATCH BY BALL!

YoUDeeMan
January 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM
The announcers were wrong about only 4 non I-A guys in the game. They are still calling it I-AA (like most do). I suspect people will call it the FCS next year. There are more than 4. Zak Deossie, David Ball, Kyle Shotwell, Steve Baylark, Justin Durant, Alonzo Coleman, Matt Gutierrez, Michael Coe, Travarous Bain, and D2 WR Jacoby Jones are all in it. That is 10 total. A far cry from the 4 they mentioned.

Add to those Ben Patrick, Tight End, from Delaware - #80, I believe. Helmet might be confused with Michigan's.

YoUDeeMan
January 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM

At least one more: Daren Stone - DB - Maine.

slostang
January 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM
WHAT A FREAKING CATCH BY BALL!
It was a great catch and Ball had the smarts to get up and keep going. He made a nice move on the safety to gain even more yards and he would have gone the distance if not for a touchdown saving tackle by another FCS player, Kyle Shotwell.

Baylark also look good on the long run.

FCS all the way!!!

Umass74
January 21st, 2007, 07:55 AM
The AP box score for the game is here (http://sports.newsday.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=newsday&page=cfoot/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=16978) .

Baylark had the longest run from scrimmage in the whole game (I believe). He led East with 7 carries for 32 yards. Also caught the only pass thrown to him for 10 yards and a first down. On most of his carries he had ZERO blocking. The East's offense reeked. The I-AA contingent seemed mostly QB'd by Gutierrez from Idaho State and he did not have a good game in my opinion.

Ball had 3 catches for 80 yards and had the best catch of the game.

Delaware's Patrick was WAY under utilized and had 2 catches for 27 yards.

Zac Deozzie was a star on defense and special teams.

UNHWildCats
January 21st, 2007, 08:06 AM
take away that 80 yard TD pass by Rowe for the west squad and Ball would have been offensive player of the game.

Great day for Ball and Baylark.

Umass74
January 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM
ake away that 80 yard TD pass by Rowe for the west squad and Ball would have been offensive player of the game.

Great day for Ball and Baylark.

The East needed Santos or Coen at QB.

Hen fans are probably pissed. The East seemed to forget about Patrick the whole game. On his best catch, Gutierrez seemed to find him by accident. On Baylark's catch he had to clap his hands to get Gutierrez' attention.

I did not like the East's whole scheme.

I agree that Ball looked like the best WR in the game. The 80 yard TD by Rowe was caused by a slip by the East's DB...

Mr. C
January 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Santos and Coen are underclassmen and are not eligible to play in a postseason all-star game.

umassfan
January 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM
Santos and Coen are underclassmen and are not eligible to play in a postseason all-star game.
Im pretty sure he is aware of that.

poly51
January 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
It was a great catch and Ball had the smarts to get up and keep going. He made a nice move on the safety to gain even more yards and he would have gone the distance if not for a touchdown saving tackle by another FCS player, Kyle Shotwell.

Baylark also look good on the long run.

FCS all the way!!!

Shotwell showed great pursuit for a linebacker to make that tackle that far down the field.

Old Cat Fan
January 21st, 2007, 12:04 PM
Just like to add that I thought ESPN did a great job with the game. I was fearing that the FCS players would get lost in their coverage but much to my suprise they actually seemed like they were giving special attention to some of them. At one point I thought I was watching a UNH game with the praise on Ball and the Isolation highlights they gave him. Then Andre Ware starts talking about Offensive Cord Chip Kelly and Ricky Santos and how good things are happening at UNH. Also they praised Delawares Patrick alot along with Baylark and metioned Coleman from Hampton a couple of times so all in all hats off to ESPN and the crew who called the games. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Go Poly
January 21st, 2007, 12:54 PM
Shotwell showed great pursuit for a linebacker to make that tackle that far down the field.

I was impressed as well. He had a couple of other tackles as well. :hurray:

Mr. C
January 21st, 2007, 01:45 PM
Anybody know if the game is going to be replayed?

Old Cat Fan
January 21st, 2007, 02:36 PM
Mr C I just scanned ahead on my DVR Guide and it is showing that the game will be replayed on ESPN U thats U on Monday morning at 6:00 AM to 9 AM EST repeat AM; hope you can catch it. :)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Where did that UNH helmet that David Ball wore come from? :confused: :confused: :confused: I never saw that one before!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM
The East needed Santos or Coen at QB.

Hen fans are probably pissed. The East seemed to forget about Patrick the whole game. On his best catch, Gutierrez seemed to find him by accident. On Baylark's catch he had to clap his hands to get Gutierrez' attention.

I did not like the East's whole scheme.

I agree that Ball looked like the best WR in the game. The 80 yard TD by Rowe was caused by a slip by the East's DB...

Ball, Baylark and Patrick all caught the ball. You'd think they would have thrown it their way just a tad more. :confused: The WR from Lane (IIRC) was inconsistent and the kid from Michigan didn't really do much.

But mainly that QB rotation the East deployed never created any kind of flow for the offense.

VT Wildcat Fan53
January 21st, 2007, 10:27 PM
Kudos to Ball, Baylark, Patrick, and Shotwell for great games all around. I also like Daren Stone's hustle on the 80 yrd TD pass by West QB, Rowe. Durant, the Hampton LB can really run, he got a tough Unsportsmanlike call on the sideline. Also, Trevarous(sp?) Bain (DB) looked very quick and active. Didn't see much of the HU RB.

Great, but typical, run by Baylark on his 27 yard gain. Followed his blocks and picked his way through. Looked very tough on other runs, too and showed nice hands on his one reception.

Patrick was terribly underutilized. He is a horse who can run and catch.

Ball had 4 balls thrown his way and came up with 3 prototypical Ball-like catches. (1) great body control and hands snagging a low throw to the sideline (2) Great route, coming back to the ball and getting the 1st down (4) Slipped in the endzone as he broke free to the sideline. Would have been a great catch and would have sealed MVP for him if he makes that catch -- which he has done many times in the past! (4) Showed off his vertical leap (39") and concentration and sufficient speed in getting downfield for what ended up as a 60+ yard reception. Great job on his sideline interview, as well.

I was a little surprised by how much the WR from Lane College was showcased. He played the most snaps by far for East WRs. He is a typical NFL project: questionable toughness, questionable hands, but 6'4" and very speedy & BIG so he'll get multiple chances to fail. Ball & Baylark, both of whom will have their speed questioned incessantly, will have the deck stacked against them-probably one chance to succeed. Here's hoping/guessing that they will do just that.

Also, to echo the sentiments of another poster, ESPN2 announcers did a great job vis-a-vis the 1-AA players. :thumbsup: Much better than anticipated given the poor job done during the playoffs.

Final note: the QB play was abysmal! There were at least 6 1-AA kids out there who would have done so much better.:confused:

Mr. C
January 22nd, 2007, 01:34 AM
Mr C I just scanned ahead on my DVR Guide and it is showing that the game will be replayed on ESPN U thats U on Monday morning at 6:00 AM to 9 AM EST repeat AM; hope you can catch it. :)
Thanks for the info. I'm getting my girls up for school at 6:30 a.m., so I should be able to catch at least a good portion of it. Look forward to seeing David Ball one more time as a college guy.

HensRock
January 22nd, 2007, 07:48 AM
It's a real shame that the East switched QBs on every play. Their drives were so short-lived that we never got to see much of Patrick, Ball and Baylark. The kid Breaston from Michigan was a bust and they kept throwing it to him. That, and the kid from South Carolina who kept saying "give me the ball" (and dropped at least 2). I wish they would have given the ball more to the FCS Play-Makers instead of the BCS Play-Talkers.

Umass74
January 22nd, 2007, 08:34 AM
It's a real shame that the East switched QBs on every play. Their drives were so short-lived that we never got to see much of Patrick, Ball and Baylark. The kid Breaston from Michigan was a bust and they kept throwing it to him. That, and the kid from South Carolina who kept saying "give me the ball" (and dropped at least 2). I wish they would have given the ball more to the FCS Play-Makers instead of the BCS Play-Talkers.

Patrick was the big mystery on how they handled him. The announcers stated that he drew good reviews from the scouts all week.

Then they don't throw to him. As I said in my original post, even his second catch at the end of the game seemed as if Gutierrez found him by accident.

Baylark was open a lot on swing passes out of the backfield but they only threw to him once. You would think they would have tried to get a drive going by using Partick and other short passes to the TB. Then go down field to Ball. No rhythm to the offense the whole game.

As I said, I thought the whole East offensive plan stunk. Gutierrez did not seem to have any field vision.

The West offense at least seemed to trying to do something.

HIU 93
January 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Kudos to Ball, Baylark, Patrick, and Shotwell for great games all around. I also like Daren Stone's hustle on the 80 yrd TD pass by West QB, Rowe. Durant, the Hampton LB can really run, he got a tough Unsportsmanlike call on the sideline. Also, Trevarous(sp?) Bain (DB) looked very quick and active. Didn't see much of the HU RB.

I don't know why, but they really didn't run Coleman a whole lot. I guess they got behind so much so fast that they tried to pass a lot, but I only saw them hand or toss to Coleman three times the entire game.

UNH 40
January 22nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
What in the world is Shula doing as the a coach they kept of showing him on the sidelines, he didn't look like he knew where he was, the man is ancient he has no business being on the sidelines. Shula did an aweful job with the QB's they had no chance to get into a rhythm and it showed. Breaston, the kid from Lane College, and the guy from South Carolina were all on the field way to much because they were not that good. I was more impressed with the FCS players than any of the 1A kids. Ball only got like 15 snaps that was rediculous considering he was probably the best offensive player on either side.

I thought the level of play was surprisingly poor in this game.

OhioHen
January 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Hen fans are probably pissed. The East seemed to forget about Patrick the whole game.

They ignored the other TE, as well. Both Patrick and Celek (Cincinnati) were getting open and not getting the ball. Total of 3 catches for 41 yards from the TE position, all in the second half. I don't recall any balls INTENDED for a TE until the 3rd quarter.

Interesting to note that the "rotation" for the TEs changed any time the East had a short-yardage situation -- Patrick was always in for 3rd and short or 4th and short.