PDA

View Full Version : MVFC 2017- Brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

Bisonoline
September 27th, 2017, 09:26 PM
I am an ardent supporter of Pizza Luce and Punch Pizza here in the cities otherwise Zorbaz up on the lakes.

Zorbaz is bad but tolerable. It fills a void if you really have a taste for pizza and its the only thing around. I will say the DL Zorbaz is better than the one in Cross Lake.

BisonTru
September 27th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Zorbaz is bad but tolerable. It fills a void if you really have a taste for pizza and its the only thing around. I will say the DL Zorbaz is better than the one in Cross Lake.

Lowden at Zorbaz. Peanut butter, pepperoni, jalapenos, extra cheeze. Sounds weird, but it's really good.

TheKingpin28
September 27th, 2017, 09:34 PM

Have only eaten at DL and Ottertail

FargoBison
September 27th, 2017, 09:45 PM
I like Zorbaz, usually solid pizza with a lot toppings. My main gripe is more with the price I guess, then again what they charge for alcohol is worse...Can't rip them though since they basically print money. I only go to the Pelican and DL locations, both are pretty consistent.

HAL_9000
September 28th, 2017, 12:55 AM
Honestly, ST_ Lawson is unflapable I met him in 2010 at the UNI game. That's the first time I met Clenz. That was back when we had the old "board" honestly if it werem't for Lawson we would still be the servants of UNI. Apparently, St_Lawson discovered that our board was owned and operated by a UNI guy. Apparently St_Lawson didn't get administrator authorization so he started his own board.

Leathernecknation.net Is a 100% an entity that St_Lawson created out of thin air.

Leather Neck Nation owes a debt of gratitude for the endless hours that Lawson has put into promoting FCS brand.

Professor Chaos
September 28th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Zorbaz benefits a ton from being on the lakes. They take advantage of the drunken hungry lake crowd. It's a great business model and they know not to screw with it. I think if you put a Zorbaz in downtown Fargo it just wouldn't cut it (unless it was open past bar close).

It's like the Pizza Patrol phenomenon. At 3AM it seems soooo good. At 3PM it's effin' gross.

ST_Lawson
September 28th, 2017, 09:23 AM
MVFC Week 5 Preview: http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-week-5-preview-2/

Redbird 4th & short
September 28th, 2017, 11:30 AM
MVFC Week 5 Preview: http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-week-5-preview-2/

nice recap ... seems like you stepped up your game this week, presumably because of all the games with ranked teams squaring off.

But you missed one thing in your ISUb vs ISUr recap ... yes, we've played weaker schedule than ISUb to this point, but we do have 1 game in common - we played at EIU and beat them easily 44-13. InSU hosted EIU and lost by 2. The most remarkable stat for our game agains EIU was the following:
- 16 total drives with total net yards of 81 .. that is total EIU offensive yards less offensive penalties .. basically using their drive charts
- 1 scoring drive for game was 14 plays for 80 yards in Q3
- all other 15 drives combined for 46 plays and produced just 1 total net yard .. not 1 yard avg per play or even series .. for all 15 drives combined.

That said, InSU reminds me more of MoST than EIU offensively .. they have talent at the skill positions, but maybe not in the trenches. MoST came out and put us on our heels initially with their read option .. but we settled down quickly and held them to 6 points after very slow start.

Being at home and having lost last year with Kolbe playing just half the game should work to our advantage this year ... so I see a 3 TD win.

Sycamore62
September 28th, 2017, 12:10 PM
nice recap ... seems like you stepped up your game this week, presumably because of all the games with ranked teams squaring off.

But you missed one thing in your ISUb vs ISUr recap ... yes, we've played weaker schedule than ISUb to this point, but we do have 1 game in common - we played at EIU and beat them easily 44-13. InSU hosted EIU and lost by 2. The most remarkable stat for our game agains EIU was the following:
- 16 total drives with total net yards of 81 .. that is total EIU offensive yards less offensive penalties .. basically using their drive charts
- 1 scoring drive for game was 14 plays for 80 yards in Q3
- all other 15 drives combined for 46 plays and produced just 1 total net yard .. not 1 yard avg per play or even series .. for all 15 drives combined.

That said, InSU reminds me more of MoST than EIU offensively .. they have talent at the skill positions, but maybe not in the trenches. MoST came out and put us on our heels initially with their read option .. but we settled down quickly and held them to 6 points after very slow start.

Being at home and having lost last year with Kolbe playing just half the game should work to our advantage this year ... so I see a 3 TD win.

But you left out that in the EIU ISUb game our starter from last year was pulled for our new starter. The (then) starter threw all screen passes except for the one pass that ended up being a pick-6. the new starter has done a pretty solid job since then with 400+yds passing against Liberty. The Tennessee game could have easily been a 28-17 game (at least it felt like a better game than the score showed). This will probably be a close game, and every time I hear about Kolbe missing half the game it reminds me of your 2014 team that was lucky to beat us with our freshman backup playing the whole game.

UNIFanSince1983
September 28th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Zorbaz benefits a ton from being on the lakes. They take advantage of the drunken hungry lake crowd. It's a great business model and they know not to screw with it. I think if you put a Zorbaz in downtown Fargo it just wouldn't cut it (unless it was open past bar close).

It's like the Pizza Patrol phenomenon. At 3AM it seems soooo good. At 3PM it's effin' gross.

There used to be a place like that in CF. It was on the Hill called Stein/Mojos. The pizza was amazing after a night out on the Hill, but not so great otherwise.

clenz
September 28th, 2017, 01:26 PM
There used to be a place like that in CF. It was on the Hill called Stein/Mojos. The pizza was amazing after a night out on the Hill, but not so great otherwise.
I knew it was Mojos/Mohos. My wife knows it as the Stein and Mojos. I just missed it being the Stein. That pizza was ****ing brilliant at 2AM.

Plus they had a "walk thru" window facing out of the front of the building to sell it to anyone walking by.

Redbird 4th & short
September 28th, 2017, 01:33 PM
But you left out that in the EIU ISUb game our starter from last year was pulled for our new starter. The (then) starter threw all screen passes except for the one pass that ended up being a pick-6. the new starter has done a pretty solid job since then with 400+yds passing against Liberty. The Tennessee game could have easily been a 28-17 game (at least it felt like a better game than the score showed). This will probably be a close game, and every time I hear about Kolbe missing half the game it reminds me of your 2014 team that was lucky to beat us with our freshman backup playing the whole game.

i recall the 2014 game very well .. we did not play well and you guys played very well. Your defense had Roberson confused all game, and we weren't prepared for your back up QB and it showed. Yet we pulled the game out with late FG. We had a couple games like that in 2014 .. most teams have couple games like that. But I promise you, your backup in 2014 was way better and more ready than our backup in 2016.

That said, I feel good about how this game sets up for our Redbirds. Could be wrong, but that's what i think.

Sycamore62
September 28th, 2017, 01:37 PM
i recall the 2014 game very well .. we did not play well and you guys played very well. Your defense had Roberson confused all game, and we weren't prepared for your back up QB and it showed. Yet we pulled the game out with late FG. We had a couple games like that in 2014 .. most teams have couple games like that. But I promise you, your backup in 2014 was way better and more ready than our backup in 2016.

That said, I feel good about how this game sets up for our Redbirds. Could be wrong, but that's what i think.

Im mostly saying the EIU game isnt indicative of our team at this point. I might be wrong.

neverobeyed
September 28th, 2017, 01:53 PM

I knew it was Mojos/Mohos. My wife knows it as the Stein and Mojos. I just missed it being the Stein. That pizza was ****ing brilliant at 2AM.

Plus they had a "walk thru" window facing out of the front of the building to sell it to anyone walking by.

I don't think I have ever considered pairing the words "amazing" and "The Stein" in the same sentence.

But you have sparked memories of Mary Kay's cheese fries at 2 a.m.

Redbird 4th & short
September 28th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Im mostly saying the EIU game isnt indicative of our team at this point. I might be wrong.
no worries. I understand you guys like to mix things up on offense ... it will certainly help if you can keep our defense guessing. EIU had no answers all game .. the one drive they got, they platooned QBs and mixed it up a lot. But otherwise, Ive never seen a Spack Redbird defense dominate a game so thoroughly on defense. We shall see soon enough.

Thumper 76
September 28th, 2017, 02:55 PM

In Brookings it’s George’s Pizza. Manna of the Gods at night at the walk up window. Buy it by the slice. Then during the day......not so much xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CappinHard
September 28th, 2017, 03:01 PM
George’s Pizza

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzemcbhLeU1qk5ov1.gif

mango433
September 28th, 2017, 03:41 PM
In Brookings it’s George’s Pizza. Manna of the Gods at night at the walk up window. Buy it by the slice. Then during the day......not so much xlolx

Just came here to say that. To be fair, the George's Pizza at 2 a.m. is a completely different product than the George's during the day.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 04:15 PM

Taco Bro's?

That place is good no matter when.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Fargo needs to supplant the Pagliai's from Iowa City and bring it up there. That place is unreal and so damn good!

SoDakSA
September 28th, 2017, 04:19 PM

George's and Pizza Kings. Those were my go-to spots.

Of course late nights in Young Hall it was Ittza Pizza. Of course, that was because they accepted our mean plans any any resemblance to actual pizza was merely a coincidence

PantherRob82
September 28th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Fargo needs to supplant the Pagliai's from Iowa City and bring it up there. That place is unreal and so damn good!

Exactly. I hit that place for the first time earlier this year after our company holiday party. I had a couple different slices and they were all amazing, and I think they would be just as goodsober.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Exactly. I hit that place for the first time earlier this year after our company holiday party. I had a couple different slices and they were all amazing, and I think they would be just as goodsober.

It is amazing. Anyone who has had, will stand by it. Sucks that when one places an order, it takes over 1 hour for a pizza to be made. They usually have between 30-50 working too!

BisonTru
September 28th, 2017, 05:18 PM
It is amazing. Anyone who has had, will stand by it. Sucks that when one places an order, it takes over 1 hour for a pizza to be made. They usually have between 30-50 working too!

An hour? They could sprinkle gold dust on it and I aint waiting that long for a pie.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 05:33 PM
An hour? They could sprinkle gold dust on it and I aint waiting that long for a pie.

1 hour is quick. They are so busy that if you do not place your order by 9, it might not be done by the time they close.

ST_Lawson
September 28th, 2017, 05:40 PM
I miss Pag's. We had one for quite a while, from when I was a little kid until about 10 years ago.

Thumper 76
September 28th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Taco Bro's?

That place is good no matter when.

Taco bros is good. New place opened up right by me that I like even better TBH. Tacos Trompo.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Taco bros is good. New place opened up right by me that I like even better TBH. Tacos Trompo.

So, what you're saying is we should go there?

So you don't "Trust Your Bro's" anymore? They have some great sauce though and Mexi-corn.

PantherRob82
September 28th, 2017, 06:44 PM

Oops, I was wrong. I had Mesa:

http://mesapizzaia.com/menu/

Amazing options.

Lorne_Malvo
September 28th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Fargo has 10 or so Pizza places, all which suck.
I wish we could get a decent Pizza place here.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Oops, I was wrong. I had Mesa:

http://mesapizzaia.com/menu/

Amazing options.

I have had Mesa, except it was in Uptown and Dinkytown and that is good when it is 2am and food in general tastes good.

Winterborn
September 28th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Fargo has 10 or so Pizza places, all which suck.
I wish we could get a decent Pizza place here.

Blackbird is still pretty good. Rhombus Guy's was good till they decided on going the cheap route on their ingredients. The rest I could live without. Had Duanes pizza for the first time last week and it was ok. For sure did not live up to the hype. I would probably die from obesity if they had a Giordano's up here.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Blackbird is still pretty good. Rhombus Guy's was good till they decided on going the cheap route on their ingredients. The rest I could live without. Had Duanes pizza for the first time last week and it was ok. For sure did not live up to the hype. I would probably die from obesity if they had a Giordano's up here.

Nancy's bro! You want "Chicago" pizza and you choose Giordano's over Nancy's? Hell, I'd even throw Geno's East above Giordano's.

GodHelpTheBears
September 28th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Hillbillies aren't known for their pizza. The Italians (like most continental Europeans) generally avoided the Ozarks.

We pretty much have the national chains, Casey's and Imo's, which is a regional chain based off the controversial St. Louis style. A couple of Chicago-style places opened a few years ago but deep dish didn't catch on, and they went out of business.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 07:44 PM
Hillbillies aren't known for their pizza. The Italians (like most continental Europeans) generally avoided the Ozarks.

We pretty much have the national chains, Casey's and Imo's, which is a regional chain based off the controversial St. Louis style. A couple of Chicago-style places opened a few years ago but deep dish didn't catch on, and they went out of business.

Hopefully you do not eat Imo's. That might be some of the worst pizza that is known to man. I feel bad for anyone who eats that.

GodHelpTheBears
September 28th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Hopefully you do not eat Imo's. That might be some of the worst pizza that is known to man. I feel bad for anyone who eats that.

Way too expensive for small portions. I don't think it's horrible, just kind of a ripoff.

Winterborn
September 28th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Nancy's bro! You want "Chicago" pizza and you choose Giordano's over Nancy's? Hell, I'd even throw Geno's East above Giordano's.

Haven't had Nancy's yet. Geno's East is about the same as Giordano's in my opinion. I was at a conference and two of the guys running sound board grew up in Chicago, but on different ends of the city. Got them talking about pizza and they didn't stop arguing for about 30 minutes. Came to the conclusion that pizza is like women, everybody has a different opinion on what is the 'best". I just know what I like. xthumbsupx Though to be honest, I would rather have a pizza with seafood or something else on it then a standard cheese or peperoni one.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Way too expensive for small portions. I don't think it's horrible, just kind of a ripoff.

Provel cheese, IMO, should never exist. I had it in St. Louis as I was told, IT WAS THE PIZZA TO EAT, and I damn near vomited from it. I will never eat it again.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 07:52 PM
Haven't had Nancy's yet. Geno's East is about the same as Giordano's in my opinion. I was at a conference and two of the guys running sound board grew up in Chicago, but on different ends of the city. Got them talking about pizza and they didn't stop arguing for about 30 minutes. Came to the conclusion that pizza is like women, everybody has a different opinion on what is the 'best". I just know what I like. xthumbsupx Though to be honest, I would rather have a pizza with seafood or something else on it then a standard cheese or peperoni one.

http://www.nancyspizza.com/uploads/1/5/9/4/15946036/wheaton_web_menu_1_.pdf

Shrimp, but better than that, Pineapple! :D (Just to piss off the anti-pineapple people xlolx)

GodHelpTheBears
September 28th, 2017, 07:52 PM
Provel cheese, IMO, should never exist. I had it in St. Louis as I was told, IT WAS THE PIZZA TO EAT, and I damn near vomited from it. I will never eat it again.

To continue the Chicago-style talk, I had Lou Malnati's earlier this month and I wasn't blown away. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't life changing either.

Schism55
September 28th, 2017, 07:57 PM
http://www.nancyspizza.com/uploads/1/5/9/4/15946036/wheaton_web_menu_1_.pdf

Shrimp, but better than that, Pineapple! :D (Just to piss off the anti-pineapple people xlolx)
Pineapple is for douchebags and lily pickers xthumbsupx

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Pineapple is for douchebags and lily pickers xthumbsupx

I did get called a pretentious asshole on here a couple of weeks ago. I corrected them as I am THE Asshole.

Also, I have a normal haircut and drink whiskey and/or bourbon. I am no douchebag sir.

Schism55
September 28th, 2017, 08:06 PM
I did get called a pretentious asshole on here a couple of weeks ago. I corrected them as I am THE Asshole.

Also, I have a normal haircut and drink whiskey and/or bourbon. I am no douchebag sir.
Haha fair enough.
I liked pineapple and ham pizza as a kid...had all my b-day parties at A&B pizza or Happy Joes (for you ND folks).
But as an adult it just doesnt taste good. /shrug

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Haha fair enough.
I liked pineapple and ham pizza as a kid...had all my b-day parties at A&B pizza or Happy Joes (for you ND folks).
But as an adult it just doesnt taste good. /shrug

Taco Pizza from Happy Joes is 2nd to none. That is the only reason why I would go there.

Schism55
September 28th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Taco Pizza from Happy Joes is 2nd to none. That is the only reason why I would go there.
I really like A&B's taco pizza too, although its been awhile since I've had it.

uni88
September 28th, 2017, 09:55 PM
I don't think I have ever considered pairing the words "amazing" and "The Stein" in the same sentence.

But you have sparked memories of Mary Kay's cheese fries at 2 a.m.
Mary Kay's was the best! You must all be too young to remember Hyperdogs - Stein Pizza was much better than Hyperdogs when the sun was shining.

CappinHard
September 28th, 2017, 11:02 PM
I would probably die from obesity if they had a Giordano's up here.

I've had deep dish Giordano's pizza once. Didn't have a bowel movement for a week. Pretty sure they used a whole wheel of cheese for one pizza.

POD Knows
September 29th, 2017, 07:18 AM
I've had deep dish Giordano's pizza once. Didn't have a bowel movement for a week. Pretty sure they used a whole wheel of cheese for one pizza.Deep dish pizza is not pizza, it is hotdish.

Bison56
September 29th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Deep dish pizza is not pizza, it is hotdish.

^This

POD Knows
September 29th, 2017, 07:34 AM
^ThisYea, didn't we settle this argument a long time ago.

clenz
September 29th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Mary Kay's was the best! You must all be too young to remember Hyperdogs - Stein Pizza was much better than Hyperdogs when the sun was shining.
I don't know what the 88 in your screenname is for, but that is the year of my birth. That should give you some reference to what I know as far as CF bars.

Mojo's hasn't been Mojo's since 2012. It's Ginger's - or some **** like that. Another Darin Beck establishment. Mojo's went to an Asian resturant that was across the street and failed. That failed in that location too and became Ginger's in 2013. After Great Wall burned to the ground, I'm not sure Ginger's has reopened yet.

The Hill is dead. Places come and go so fast there. Suds is still a thing. The Library is still a thing. After that everytime I go to CF everything else is something different.

Turns out people don't like Darin Beck, or his business model. Everyone goes to Main now. Sure Beck has a few places there as well, but Toads, Pump Haus, Blue Room, Berks, Landmark, Uncle Harry's are all busy now (Beck has a few places over there as well, but they aren't as busy as non Beck places). I was a student from 06-10. The Hill was for sure the place to be up to 08. Then it went WAY down hill real fast. Everything shifted over to Main. Main was always the place the JR and SRs hung out, but it's shifted to everyone but skank ass freshman go to Main now.

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2017, 08:22 AM
I don't know what the 88 in your screenname is for, but that is the year of my birth. That should give you some reference to what I know as far as CF bars.

Mojo's hasn't been Mojo's since 2012. It's Ginger's - or some **** like that. Another Darin Beck establishment. Mojo's went to an Asian resturant that was across the street and failed. That failed in that location too and became Ginger's in 2013. After Great Wall burned to the ground, I'm not sure Ginger's has reopened yet.

The Hill is dead. Places come and go so fast there. Suds is still a thing. The Library is still a thing. After that everytime I go to CF everything else is something different.

Turns out people don't like Darin Beck, or his business model. Everyone goes to Main now. Sure Beck has a few places there as well, but Toads, Pump Haus, Blue Room, Berks, Landmark, Uncle Harry's are all busy now (Beck has a few places over there as well, but they aren't as busy as non Beck places). I was a student from 06-10. The Hill was for sure the place to be up to 08. Then it went WAY down hill real fast. Everything shifted over to Main. Main was always the place the JR and SRs hung out, but it's shifted to everyone but skank ass freshman go to Main now.

Did prohibition suck?

Redbird 4th & short
September 29th, 2017, 08:47 AM
bunch of blasphemy from people who worship pizza from gas station

neverobeyed
September 29th, 2017, 09:29 AM

Once upon a time, Cedar Falls had a Pagliai's on the Parkade. Vague memories of goodness ... think it closed by the late '70s.

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Once upon a time, Cedar Falls had a Pagliai's on the Parkade. Vague memories of goodness ... think it closed by the late '70s.

I will have to ask my parents about that. I know they always loved going to the one in Des Moines so maybe that was the reason why.

uni88
September 29th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Turns out people don't like Darin Beck, or his business model. Everyone goes to Main now. Sure Beck has a few places there as well, but Toads, Pump Haus, Blue Room, Berks, Landmark, Uncle Harry's are all busy now (Beck has a few places over there as well, but they aren't as busy as non Beck places). I was a student from 06-10. The Hill was for sure the place to be up to 08. Then it went WAY down hill real fast. Everything shifted over to Main. Main was always the place the JR and SRs hung out, but it's shifted to everyone but skank ass freshman go to Main now.88 is the year I graduated from UNI. Back then the Hill was where it was at. Main St hadn't been revitalized yet so only place students really went to was 4th & Main on Thursday nights for progressive draws. I loved Suds back then and still go there whenever I make it back.

Change happens.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Man all this CF talk makes me wish I was going back sooner than November! :(

clenz
September 29th, 2017, 09:46 AM
88 is the year I graduated from UNI. Back then the Hill was where it was at. Main St hadn't been revitalized yet so only place students really went to was 4th & Main on Thursday nights for progressive draws. I loved Suds back then and still go there whenever I make it back.

Change happens.

Main St now is so different even compared to when I left Cedar Falls 4 years ago....****, it's already been 4 years since I moved. Damn time moved fast.

They've build a ton of new apartments/condos, renovated tons of buildings, new shops, new bars, new restaurants, etc...

Main St is an awesome place right now.

neverobeyed
September 29th, 2017, 10:38 AM
88 is the year I graduated from UNI. Back then the Hill was where it was at. Main St hadn't been revitalized yet so only place students really went to was 4th & Main on Thursday nights for progressive draws. I loved Suds back then and still go there whenever I make it back.

Change happens.

Started with dime draws at 6 p.m., people quickly grabbed and guarded trays (think fast food trays ... you could fit 16 cups at a time). By 8 p.m., the place started to clear. By 9 p.m., it wreaked of stale beer and urine.

CappinHard
September 29th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Started with dime draws at 6 p.m., people quickly grabbed and guarded trays (think fast food trays ... you could fit 16 cups at a time). By 8 p.m., the place started to clear. By 9 p.m., it wreaked of stale beer and urine.

Ah, progressives... in Brookings on Friday nights you pregamed for the "9 @ 9". You would drink at the house, then go to the 9 bar at 9 p.m. where you could drink anything you want for $1 a piece for the first hour (I mean anything, I saw 2 trays full of 100 starry night shots at a dollar a piece once), then $2 in hour 2, and so on.

dewey
September 29th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Ah, progressives... in Brookings on Friday nights you pregamed for the "9 @ 9". You would drink at the house, then go to the 9 bar at 9 p.m. where you could drink anything you want for $1 a piece for the first hour (I mean anything, I saw 2 trays full of 100 starry night shots at a dollar a piece once), then $2 in hour 2, and so on.

Sounds freaking awesome and also similar to when I was in college and we would go to Chumleys in Moorhead. 35 cents for a 8 oz cup of beer from 7 to 9. People would order multiple trays of beer and then drink it all night.

Ahh the old days.

I would hurt for days if I drank like that now.

Dewey

Thumper 76
September 29th, 2017, 02:58 PM

Ah yes. When $20 was all you needed. Good times.

BigGoosie13
September 29th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Ah yes. When $20 was all you needed. Good times.

$2 tallboys man, too bad it had to be on Wednesday though, all my important classes were on Thursdays starting at 7am.

GodHelpTheBears
September 29th, 2017, 04:18 PM
We turned downtown Springfield into a drinking district for MSU and Drury students, even though I was more of a "buy a case and pop a top" guy due to my rural raising.

We also turned new quad into a drinking area for students while our football games go on. 1-10 teams ain't rippin' those kids from their YETI coolers and their Bud Lights.

semobison
September 29th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Sounds freaking awesome and also similar to when I was in college and we would go to Chumleys in Moorhead. 35 cents for a 8 oz cup of beer from 7 to 9. People would order multiple trays of beer and then drink it all night.

Ahh the old days.

Dewey

Micks Office, 25 cent draws! Those were the days!

cx500d
September 29th, 2017, 05:21 PM

Ahh the old days.

Dewey

Don't remember that....Way back in the day we would go to Mick's Office and get a beer and a burger for lunch for like $2 I think

cx500d
September 29th, 2017, 05:23 PM
$2 tallboys man, too bad it had to be on Wednesday though, all my important classes were on Thursdays starting at 7am.

$2 tallboy's, you can't go wrong since tallboys tend to be good 'merican beer like PBR, Old Milwaukee, Hamm's, Milwaukee's Best, Keystone, etc!

BigGoosie13
September 29th, 2017, 05:38 PM
$2 tallboy's, you can't go wrong since tallboys tend to be good 'merican beer like PBR, Old Milwaukee, Hamm's, Milwaukee's Best, Keystone, etc!

Mich Golden baby, the beer too good for the rest of America.

Schism55
September 29th, 2017, 06:39 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26184&stc=1

BigGoosie13
September 29th, 2017, 06:49 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26184&stc=1
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/ac/ac35d13f2e71cb381965f556f28d38681e19449a13a3cce056 1f418d6103eec1.jpg

cx500d
September 29th, 2017, 06:55 PM

There's a thread devoted to it:

(https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/whats-the-deal-with-minnesotans-and-michelob-golden-draft-light.38214/)https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/whats-the-deal-with-minnesotans-and-michelob-golden-draft-light.38214/

Not sure we get that here...Whats the difference between golden light and Mich ultra?

Da Bison
September 29th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Micks Office, 25 cent draws! Those were the days!Trader & Trapper had $0.13 draws and $1.13 pitchers on Friday afternoon 4-6.

Ah the memories.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BigGoosie13
September 29th, 2017, 08:17 PM
There's a thread devoted to it:

(https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/whats-the-deal-with-minnesotans-and-michelob-golden-draft-light.38214/)https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/whats-the-deal-with-minnesotans-and-michelob-golden-draft-light.38214/

Not sure we get that here...Whats the difference between golden light and Mich ultra?
Mich Golden is for freedom loving Americans, Ultra is for calorie counting communist.

CappinHard
September 29th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Mich Golden is for freedom loving Americans, Ultra is for calorie counting communist.

I second this. They are nowhere near similar. Mich golden/ golden light is just another variation of an American lager made by Anheiser Busch. I've heard that they wanted to build Bud Light into a national presence and didn't want to clutter the market with another similar beer that may or may not taste better.

GodHelpTheBears
September 29th, 2017, 08:51 PM
I second this. They are nowhere near similar. Mich golden/ golden light is just another variation of an American lager made by Anheiser Busch. I've heard that they wanted to build Bud Light into a national presence and didn't want to clutter the market with another similar beer that may or may not taste better.

And now that Bud Light is the #1 selling beer in America by far, there are now products like Bud Light with Lime, which in the event that God cuts down the Bison tomorrow, I will be brewing in a coffeemaker and drinking on Sunday morning.

ST_Lawson
September 29th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Today was the unveiling of the new statue of Colonel Ray "Rock" Hanson at WIU.

Colonel Hanson was a WWI and WWII Marine hero who was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star, the Purple Heart, the Good Conduct Medal, the Victory Medal and the Army of Occupation of Germany Medal. He was our football, basketball, and baseball coach, as well as director of the physical education department and is distinguished as the longest-serving athletic director at Western. Colonel Hanson is the reason that our football stadium is named Hanson Field, the reason that our mascots are "Rocky" and "Colonel Rock III", and he is the reason that for 90 years, we have been the Fighting Leathernecks.

The bronze statue of Colonel Rock, in uniform, is located along the walk to the stadium that bears his name, and is positioned so that he is always looking across the field and rooting for his Leathernecks.
http://wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=14874

http://www.wiu.edu/images/news/14874/14874_6975_1_thumb.jpg

You can view more photos of the ceremony and statue here: https://www.facebook.com/wiu.edu/posts/10156687907868957

dewey
September 29th, 2017, 09:01 PM

Colonel Hanson was a WWI and WWII Marine hero who was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star, the Purple Heart, the Good Conduct Medal, the Victory Medal and the Army of Occupation of Germany Medal. He was our football, basketball, and baseball coach, as well as director of the physical education department and is distinguished as the longest-serving athletic director at Western. Colonel Hanson is the reason that our football stadium is named Hanson Field, the reason that our mascots are "Rocky" and "Colonel Rock III", and he is the reason that for 90 years, we have been the Fighting Leathernecks.

The bronze statue of Colonel Rock, in uniform, is located along the walk to the stadium that bears his name, and is positioned so that he is always looking across the field and rooting for his Leathernecks.

You can view more photos of the ceremony and statue here: https://www.facebook.com/wiu.edu/posts/10156687907868957

Awesome story of an American hero! Thanks for sharing.

Dewey

Schism55
September 29th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Awesome story of an American hero! Thanks for sharing.

Dewey
Here here! Well done WIU.

Thumper 76
September 29th, 2017, 10:53 PM

Awesome as hell

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2017, 08:06 AM

wow .. never knew this history. just always thought you guys couldn't decide what to call yourselves. Very impressive life and tribute. thanks for sharing this.

p.s. our Hancock stadium is named after a football coach for 1931-45 .. he went 57-45-19. According to wikipedia, his most notable accomplishment is having the "highest tie percentage" in college football history ... seriously. Probably a good guy and coach ... but having looked this up today for first time, I no longer wonder why our football program was so mired in lethargy and mediocrity up into we hired Spack in 2009. Highest tie percentage ?? Really ... What could be worse than being known for most ties ?? Ties are like taking your sister or cousin to prom - doesn't count. Even NHL hockey figured out how to get rid of the dreaded tie.

click here if you think I'm making this up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hancock

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Old Broadway (OB), assuming you do not mind going to the sketchiest bar in America, has pay the day every Friday. 27 beers on tap and whatever Friday is, that is how many pennies an 8oz beer costs. Thumper and I got pretty lit one night on Michgolden and his ****ty Sconie beer he drinks.

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2017, 08:23 AM

That is awesome to see your school do.

ST_Lawson
September 30th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Colonel Hanson was a WWI and WWII Marine hero who was awarded the Navy Cross...

One of my favorite stories regarding this was a couple of years ago, when a Western Illinois alumni, USMC Lieutenant General Vincent R. Stewart (http://www.dia.mil/About/Leadership/Article-View/Article/567072/lieutenant-general-vincent-r-stewart-usmc/) (the Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency) came back to campus for a "distinguished alumni" award. As he was walking around Western Hall (our basketball arena and where we do graduation ceremonies and stuff), he passed by the display dedicated to Colonel Hanson. He was looking at his awards from the USMC and saw the Navy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Cross) there, at which point he turned to person showing him around and said "you know, we don't just hand those out to anyone".

cx500d
September 30th, 2017, 09:43 AM
One of my favorite stories regarding this was a couple of years ago, when a Western Illinois alumni, USMC Lieutenant General Vincent R. Stewart (http://www.dia.mil/About/Leadership/Article-View/Article/567072/lieutenant-general-vincent-r-stewart-usmc/) (the Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency) came back to campus for a "distinguished alumni" award. As he was walking around Western Hall (our basketball arena and where we do graduation ceremonies and stuff), he passed by the display dedicated to Colonel Hanson. He was looking at his awards from the USMC and saw the Navy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Cross) there, at which point he turned to person showing him around and said "you know, we don't just hand those out to anyone".

No kidding, even I couldn't manage to get one of those, and I'm the guy that (didn't) killed bin laden

Drblankstare
September 30th, 2017, 05:21 PM
I refuse to live in a world that allows USD to be a real threat. Save me Jeebus

REALBird
September 30th, 2017, 05:36 PM
To continue the Chicago-style talk, I had Lou Malnati's earlier this month and I wasn't blown away. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't life changing either.

Chicago Style Pizza is as segregated as Chicago. North Siders like Connie’s, Lou Malnati’s, UNO, DUO. South Siders swear by Auerileo’s, Girodano’s, Italian Fiesta. West Sider’s like Home Run Inn Pizza. Anyone wanting to meet in the middle take your choice of Gino’s East or a half dozen other places.

Normal has some good College Pizza - Tobin’s, Micheleo’s (now served by Tobin’s). CJ’s our by the airport serves a nice next to Chicago Deep Dish. Giordano’s will open soon in Normal hopefully in the next month. But seeing as most kids are from the Chicago area, by and large were all Pizza Snobs.

dustinthorn93
October 1st, 2017, 03:32 PM
So....how far does WIU drop, and how much does UNI gain? That'll be interesting next week. Also, USD played so well the first 2.5 quarters! Congrats Yotes!

TheKingpin28
October 1st, 2017, 03:37 PM
So....how far does WIU drop, and how much does UNI gain? That'll be interesting next week. Also, USD played so well the first 2.5 quarters! Congrats Yotes!

I kept them where I had them last week, which means they would still drop if the national poll drops them. UNI gets no love since taking Cal Poly to 2OT looks bad and losing to SUU who got trounced by Sac St looks even worse than what it should. If they beat WIU, then I will give them some love and maybe vote for them, but as of right now, they get no love.

Bisonoline
October 1st, 2017, 04:44 PM
Chicago Style Pizza is as segregated as Chicago. North Siders like Connie’s, Lou Malnati’s, UNO, DUO. South Siders swear by Auerileo’s, Girodano’s, Italian Fiesta. West Sider’s like Home Run Inn Pizza. Anyone wanting to meet in the middle take your choice of Gino’s East or a half dozen other places.

Normal has some good College Pizza - Tobin’s, Micheleo’s (now served by Tobin’s). CJ’s our by the airport serves a nice next to Chicago Deep Dish. Giordano’s will open soon in Normal hopefully in the next month. But seeing as most kids are from the Chicago area, by and large were all Pizza Snobs.

Who has the best thin crust in Normal?

mvfcfan
October 1st, 2017, 05:39 PM
I don't think my longer introduction ever made it on here so here it goes now that I've posted enough that I'm a full member.

I've been an Indiana State fan my whole life. I go to every home football, basketball, and baseball game I can. Yesterday I drove over to Normal to watch us play even though I didn't think we would win.

Whenever Jacksonville State beat Ole Miss in 2OT back in 2010 I wanted to see them play, so I went over to Charleston to watch them play Eastern Illinois. EIU came up short, but they've been my second favorite team for 7 years now. Whenever ISU is on the road and EIU is at home (football and basketball) then I'll go over there and watch them play. EIU is a small school like ISU so it's pretty easy for me to support them and they're only an hour and 15 minutes from Terre Haute (where I live). I noticed that there is a Sycamore fan on here from Charleston, but he might have a totally different view on EIU than me.

So basically to sum this up I'll root for Indiana State and Eastern Illinois no matter what unless they're playing each other. When they play each other there is no lost love for EIU. I am very happy that we started our rivalry game back up in football. I am disappointed that we aren't playing each other in basketball this upcoming season though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2017, 06:49 PM
Weather forecast for Terre Haute on Saturday is 73 degrees and 60% chance of rain.

I better bring an umbrella for this one.

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2017, 06:58 PM
Weather forecast for Terre Haute on Saturday is 73 degrees and 60% chance of rain.

I better bring an umbrella for this one.
I'm very curious to see the Bison rushing attack that's 2nd in the nation at 6.91 yards per rush go up against a very good Indiana St run defense. I believe InSU is tied for 20th in the nation allowing only 2.97 yards per rush. There's been a lot praise for the Bison offense so far this season but they still haven't played even an above average run defense yet (RMU was the best so far allowing 4.33 ypc - roughly 80th in the nation). Indiana St will be the best they've seen to this point and they'll see an even better one in Youngstown the week after.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2017, 07:44 PM
I'm very curious to see the Bison rushing attack that's 2nd in the nation at 6.91 yards per rush go up against a very good Indiana St run defense. I believe InSU is tied for 20th in the nation allowing only 2.97 yards per rush. There's been a lot praise for the Bison offense so far this season but they still haven't played even an above average run defense yet (RMU was the best so far allowing 4.33 ypc - roughly 80th in the nation). Indiana St will be the best they've seen to this point and they'll see an even better one in Youngstown the week after.

Ya, it will be an interesting matchup.

But they are #90 in scoring defense giving up 32.5/game and #67 in total defense giving up 394/game. They are #113 in passing defense. Bison passing game should move the ball on them.

Looking forward to it.

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2017, 07:50 PM
Ya, it will be an interesting matchup.

But they are #90 in scoring defense giving up 32.5/game and #67 in total defense giving up 394/game.

Looking forward to it.
Yeah, looks like Kolbe gashed them through the air yesterday to the tune of 11.5 ypa but for as good as Stick has been this year the run game is still the straw that stirs the drink for NDSU offensively. I was always the resident Polasek apologist but even I got frustrated with how he had a tendency to be stubborn and get into a dick swinging contest by repeatedly calling interior run plays on 1st and 2nd down when the defense was gearing everything to stop them. Will Messingham be more apt to take what the defense gives them? If so I think Stick is going to have to throw more often during the early downs than normal to soften up that InSU run defense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2017, 08:03 PM
Yeah, looks like Kolbe gashed them through the air yesterday to the tune of 11.5 ypa but for as good as Stick has been this year the run game is still the straw that stirs the drink for NDSU offensively. I was always the resident Polasek apologist but even I got frustrated with how he had a tendency to be stubborn and get into a dick swinging contest by repeatedly calling interior run plays on 1st and 2nd down when the defense was gearing everything to stop them. Will Messingham be more apt to take what the defense gives them? If so I think Stick is going to have to throw more often during the early downs than normal to soften up that InSU run defense.

IMO, he did that yesterday. MSU was come hell or high water determined to take away the G-gap power inside run yesterday and did a decent job for a half. Stick was efficient and would have a had a great % if not for some drops.

I'm sure Ind State will stack the box and dare the Bison to beat them through the air. Given what they give up passing, I bet the Bison can protect Stick and he will make them pay which will open up the running game. I think the TEs will be big in this one.

uni88
October 1st, 2017, 09:50 PM

Normal has some good College Pizza - Tobin’s, Micheleo’s (now served by Tobin’s). CJ’s our by the airport serves a nice next to Chicago Deep Dish. Giordano’s will open soon in Normal hopefully in the next month. But seeing as most kids are from the Chicago area, by and large were all Pizza Snobs.Lou's core market is the suburbs.

Sycamore62
October 1st, 2017, 10:04 PM
I don't think my longer introduction ever made it on here so here it goes now that I've posted enough that I'm a full member.

I've been an Indiana State fan my whole life. I go to every home football, basketball, and baseball game I can. Yesterday I drove over to Normal to watch us play even though I didn't think we would win.

Whenever Jacksonville State beat Ole Miss in 2OT back in 2010 I wanted to see them play, so I went over to Charleston to watch them play Eastern Illinois. EIU came up short, but they've been my second favorite team for 7 years now. Whenever ISU is on the road and EIU is at home (football and basketball) then I'll go over there and watch them play. EIU is a small school like ISU so it's pretty easy for me to support them and they're only an hour and 15 minutes from Terre Haute (where I live). I noticed that there is a Sycamore fan on here from Charleston, but he might have a totally different view on EIU than me.

So basically to sum this up I'll root for Indiana State and Eastern Illinois no matter what unless they're playing each other. When they play each other there is no lost love for EIU. I am very happy that we started our rivalry game back up in football. I am disappointed that we aren't playing each other in basketball this upcoming season though.

we have a much different view on EIU lol. not really, I make it a friendly rivalry, I work with another ISUb grad and the rest of the town are basically EIU fans or apathetic. Except for when EIU is playing ISUb then I hate them all the burning passion of 10,000 firey suns.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 09:43 AM
So....

I came away from the SIU/UNI game 100% unimpressed with Sam Straub.

Kept hearing all last year and over the off season he'd be the best int he league. UNI left dozens of WR open most of the night and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his throws. It's not like UNI was putting a ton of pressure on him either. He was 23-49 with 2 picks and 2 TDs.

Against SEMO he was also 13-29. MVSU was 12-20. Memphis was a good game, but those other 3 don't leave me real impressed.

He's second to last in efficiency in the conference while throwing the second most passes. He's second to last in completion % and one of only two that aren't a rounding error away from being at/over 60% for completions. He's 5th in yards and is the only QB without a throw over 40.

Maybe it'll get turned around, but man I was expecting more.

Sycamore62
October 2nd, 2017, 09:57 AM
Im curious of ISUr fans' opinion of the game. I thought for the most part ISUb sucked, ISUr sucked, the refs sucked, the tv coverage sucked(i wasnt watching but I heard it was off for a long period), the nachos sucked, waiting to get in the stadium sucked, waiting for the team to walk by after the game so i could leave sucked, my kids' behavior sucked, the concession lines sucked and the drive home sucked.

The one bright spot was that at the end of the 3rd qtr, my wife and older daughter had already went back to the truck and I had to take my 5yo daughter to the bathroom. I took her to the entrance of the women's RR and said I would wait here for her, at the same time a girl from the band asked if I wanted her to watch her. that was the nicest girl in the stadium saturday.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 10:05 AM
Must have been something in the system with ESPN3 over the weekend.

UNI/SIU didn't work for pretty much the entire first quarter and then cut out multiple times during the game.

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2017, 10:07 AM
Must have been something in the system with ESPN3 over the weekend.

UNI/SIU didn't work for pretty much the entire first quarter and then cut out multiple times during the game.Yea, I was switching between the UNI/SIU game and the SDSU/YSU game and had tons of trouble with the UNI/SIU game and I generally don't have much trouble with ESPN3.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 10:13 AM
Yea, I was switching between the UNI/SIU game and the SDSU/YSU game and had tons of trouble with the UNI/SIU game and I generally don't have much trouble with ESPN3.
It was definitely on SIU's end. They were making statements on social media during the game about working on it.

ESPN3 is usually flawless for me on my phone and Roku.

Had issues with the UNI/SIU game ISU/ISU game and even the UNI/ISUr volleyball match I missed the entire 4th set. Not that there was any issues. #22 UNI beat ISUR 3-1 to remain flawless in conference play but that's not for here.

Had zero issues with the UNI/Evansville women soccer match.

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2017, 10:18 AM
I heard that people were having problems with the USD@WIU game as well, but I don't know for sure. I was there, so I wasn't streaming.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 10:22 AM
I heard that people were having problems with the USD@WIU game as well, but I don't know for sure. I was there, so I wasn't streaming.
I only watched bits of it and didn't have any issues, but based on what I've read from around the league it wouldn't shock me.

To have that many issues, in that many different cities across the MVC/MVFC footprint there must have been a switchboard issue somewhere.

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2017, 10:24 AM
I only watched bits of it and didn't have any issues, but based on what I've read from around the league it wouldn't shock me.

To have that many issues, in that many different cities across the MVC/MVFC footprint there must have been a switchboard issue somewhere.

Could be. I wonder if most of the midwest stuff gets routed through a specific group of servers or a specific routing connection that was being slow on Saturday.

Sycamore62
October 2nd, 2017, 10:32 AM
generally the quality has been amazing this year. at ISUb, if you pull it up after a close play it takes about 30 more seconds then you can see the play again "live" on your phone. ISUr was at least a series behind.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 10:35 AM
generally the quality has been amazing this year. at ISUb, if you pull it up after a close play it takes about 30 more seconds then you can see the play again "live" on your phone. ISUr was at least a series behind.
Most streamed events are a ways behind.

It's frustrating to me to be watching a soccer match at 6:30 on a Saturday morning (yes, I'm a soccer fan and yes I do that) and get an ESPN blast about a goal a solid 30 seconds before the goal happens.

Same thing happens watching the Twins on Fox Sports Go. I'll get a score alert 2 or 3 pitches before the score.

Professor Chaos
October 2nd, 2017, 10:57 AM

It's frustrating to me to be watching a soccer match at 6:30 on a Saturday morning (yes, I'm a soccer fan and yes I do that) and get an ESPN blast about a goal a solid 30 seconds before the goal happens.

Same thing happens watching the Twins on Fox Sports Go. I'll get a score alert 2 or 3 pitches before the score.
You've got too many alerts on your phone. :D

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2017, 11:06 AM

For me, that's actually a good thing. Usually I'll have Cubs games video streaming in the background with the radio audio feed synced to the video, so I can hear what's going on and the guys talking and stuff. I'll get an alert of a scoring play to my phone/watch maybe 10-15 seconds before it happens, so I know to bring up the video and watch the big play.

But yea, if you're streaming video, it's always going to be a play or two behind "live". Just how the system works. The issues most of us were talking about, I believe, were things like the video feed locking up or disappearing entirely for a bit.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 11:38 AM
You've got too many alerts on your phone. :D
My phone is blowing up all day/night.

I have every alert set for every team I follow. Why? Because they are what I watch.

I don't watch any pro leagues with any regularity other than my teams.
I don't watch much NCAA sports outside of my conference/teams at this point
I don't watch anything on TV.
I have a very select few shows I watch and rewatch on Netflix.

I allow my phone to give me every alert for the teams I follow. No alerts of any kind for any team I don't.

Professor Chaos
October 2nd, 2017, 11:44 AM
My phone is blowing up all day/night.

I have every alert set for every team I follow. Why? Because they are what I watch.

I don't watch any pro leagues with any regularity other than my teams.
I don't watch much NCAA sports outside of my conference/teams at this point
I don't watch anything on TV.
I have a very select few shows I watch and rewatch on Netflix.

I allow my phone to give me every alert for the teams I follow. No alerts of any kind for any team I don't.
Meh... being a Minnesota (pro) sports fan myself I prefer to be left in the dark about how those teams are doing (especially the Vikings). When I feel like my life is just going too well I'll pull up my ESPN app and see what new and inventive ways the Vikings and Twins are finding to punch their fans in the gut/nuts.

UNIFanSince1983
October 2nd, 2017, 11:49 AM
My phone give me 0 sports notifications. Partially because I hate unimportant notifications on my phone, and partially because if my team is playing I am more than likely at least following along.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 11:51 AM
Meh... being a Minnesota (pro) sports fan myself I prefer to be left in the dark about how those teams are doing (especially the Vikings). When I feel like my life is just going too well I'll pull up my ESPN app and see what new and inventive ways the Vikings and Twins are finding to punch their fans in the gut/nuts.
I'm a Minnesota guy too. DGAF.

I have full alerts set for the following teams between ESPN, Fox Sports and NBC Sports

Vikings - NFL
Wild - NHL
Wolves - NBA
Twins - MLB
Loons - MLS
Lynx - WNBA
UNI - football
UNI - mens basketball
UNI - womens basketball
UNI - softball
Michigan - football
Louisville - football
Tottenham - English soccer
Weder Bremen - German soccer
US - mens soccer
US - womens soccer
England - mens soccer
Germany - mens soccer

I'll add any other UNI team that gets added to that as well....

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2017, 12:01 PM
MVFC Week 5 in Review: http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-week-5-in-review/

REALBird
October 3rd, 2017, 03:39 PM
Who has the best thin crust in Normal?

I think the locals will side with Tobin's Pizza (who also serves an old Normal favorite - Micheleo's Pizza). Being from Chicago, I'm partial to Rosati's Pizza or Joe's Stationhouse Pizza if I'm going thin crust.
CJ's and Rosati's serve probably the best deep dish in town IMHO. Sure that will change once Giordano's opens.

- - - Updated - - -

Lou's core market is the suburbs.

I rarely venture into the Suburbs, so I don't doubt it. Not a fan of Lou's.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 3rd, 2017, 03:48 PM
I think the locals will side with Tobin's Pizza (who also serves an old Normal favorite - Micheleo's Pizza). Being from Chicago, I'm partial to Rosati's Pizza or Joe's Stationhouse Pizza if I'm going thin crust.
CJ's and Rosati's serve probably the best deep dish in town IMHO. Sure that will change once Giordano's opens.

- - - Updated - - -

I rarely venture into the Suburbs, so I don't doubt it. Not a fan of Lou's.

Ill have to check out one of those pizza places when I'm down for the game.

dewey
October 3rd, 2017, 03:48 PM

We sound very similar. I have become less and less interested in the Vikings every year. Like you said the Vikings keep me balanced as the Bison seem to continually find a way to win (almost all the time) and the Vikings find a way to lose almost all the time.

Dewey

REALBird
October 3rd, 2017, 03:58 PM
Im curious of ISUr fans' opinion of the game. I thought for the most part ISUb sucked, ISUr sucked, the refs sucked, the tv coverage sucked(i wasnt watching but I heard it was off for a long period), the nachos sucked, waiting to get in the stadium sucked, waiting for the team to walk by after the game so i could leave sucked, my kids' behavior sucked, the concession lines sucked and the drive home sucked.

The one bright spot was that at the end of the 3rd qtr, my wife and older daughter had already went back to the truck and I had to take my 5yo daughter to the bathroom. I took her to the entrance of the women's RR and said I would wait here for her, at the same time a girl from the band asked if I wanted her to watch her. that was the nicest girl in the stadium saturday.

I thought ISUb did a great job of sticking to the game plan and making the Redbirds beat them through the air. Try as we might, we wanted to run and just pound the rock, but eventually for part of the second quarter our OC decided what the heck and just let Kolbe throw. For every good throw he made, he made some questionable throws. Had a few drops. But once we got the lead, we went back to trying to establish the run to no avail.

I thought the Sycamores did a great job when they mixed the run with the pass, but the offense seemed quite predictable with that whole jet sweep thing. Difficult game to watch outside of the second quarter for me. I thought the crowd was a great size. The refs sucked, and I'm still steamed about that targeting penalty. Then there was a PI call that was missed in the 3rd quarter that drew my ire. Poor female official blew it right in front of me and I gave her HELL for it. I could live with it if she had just ignored me, but she let me get in her head so why the hell not!

I'm yelling that was PI and she's nodding her head side to side saying No. I'm like he never looked back at the ball, and didn't make an attempt to turn around, he face guarded. She's still shaking her damn head side to side.
I told her if you aren't ready for the big time, then come back later. She's still shaking her head side to side. This is well into the next play. So finally, I'm like....."If you didn't think the call was bad, then why are you spending so much time acknowledging my complaint." She finally stopped shaking her head. GRRRRRRRRRR!

Overall an ugly W, but you guys know how to muck up a game against us for some reason. The band kids are pretty cool, glad there was one bright spot for you last weekend.

Professor Chaos
October 3rd, 2017, 04:01 PM
It means very little in the grand scheme of things but something that I thought was an interesting mid-season talker has been the stellar QB play in the MVFC so far this year. Taryn Christion was pretty much the consensus first team QB going into the season and he's put up some good numbers going 66-102 for 849 yards, 8 TDs, and 2 INTs for a 156.6 efficiency rating to go with 200 yards and 3 TDs on the ground but he's got a lot more competition that I think most expected:

Chris Streveler: 78-120 for 1168 yards, 10 TDs, and 0 INTs (174.3 rating) - 362 yards rushing and 7 TDs
Easton Stick: 44-61 for 609 yards, 6 TDs, and 0 INTs (188.5 rating) - 39 yards rushing and 2 TDs
Sean McGuire: 79-114 for 1062 yards, 9 TDs, and 3 INTs (168.3 rating) - 37 rushing yards and 1 TD
Jake Kolbe: 73-117 for 1069 yards, 6 TDs, and 2 INTs (156.2 rating) - no rushing stats that I could find

That's 5 pretty darn good QBs all within the top 21 in passing efficiency in the FCS. The MVFC has a reputation of being a ground and pound league but these guys are doing their best to change that image this year so far at least. Streveler has been the most impressive so far but any one of these guys has the potential to be the conference offensive player of the year still at this point.

REALBird
October 3rd, 2017, 04:03 PM
I'm a Minnesota guy too. DGAF.

I have full alerts set for the following teams between ESPN, Fox Sports and NBC Sports

Vikings - NFL (check)
Wild - NHL (don't watch Hockey)
Wolves - NBA (Sixers)
Twins - MLB (check)
Loons - MLS (Sounders)
Lynx - WNBA (No thanks to WNBA)
UNI - football (Illinois State)
UNI - mens basketball (Illinois State)
UNI - womens basketball (Illinois State)
UNI - softball (Illinois State)
Michigan - football (Yep them too.)
Louisville - football (Oregon)
Tottenham - English soccer (Hey I'm just getting into Soccer, gimme a time to acclimate to the MLS. LOL)
Weder Bremen - German soccer (see above)
US - mens soccer (Yep...I watched my first World Cup in 2014, I was sold on the game and fans in Brazil)
US - womens soccer (Yep.)
England - mens soccer (Not there yet)
Germany - mens soccer (Not there yet)

I'll add any other UNI team that gets added to that as well....

I feel like I was cheating off Clenz's test until he covered his answers and then I just had to wing it. LOL.

Sycamore62
October 3rd, 2017, 04:19 PM
I thought ISUb did a great job of sticking to the game plan and making the Redbirds beat them through the air. Try as we might, we wanted to run and just pound the rock, but eventually for part of the second quarter our OC decided what the heck and just let Kolbe throw. For every good throw he made, he made some questionable throws. Had a few drops. But once we got the lead, we went back to trying to establish the run to no avail.

I thought the Sycamores did a great job when they mixed the run with the pass, but the offense seemed quite predictable with that whole jet sweep thing. Difficult game to watch outside of the second quarter for me. I thought the crowd was a great size. The refs sucked, and I'm still steamed about that targeting penalty. Then there was a PI call that was missed in the 3rd quarter that drew my ire. Poor female official blew it right in front of me and I gave her HELL for it. I could live with it if she had just ignored me, but she let me get in her head so why the hell not!

I'm yelling that was PI and she's nodding her head side to side saying No. I'm like he never looked back at the ball, and didn't make an attempt to turn around, he face guarded. She's still shaking her damn head side to side.
I told her if you aren't ready for the big time, then come back later. She's still shaking her head side to side. This is well into the next play. So finally, I'm like....."If you didn't think the call was bad, then why are you spending so much time acknowledging my complaint." She finally stopped shaking her head. GRRRRRRRRRR!

Overall an ugly W, but you guys know how to muck up a game against us for some reason. The band kids are pretty cool, glad there was one bright spot for you last weekend.

I have a quick question and some thoughts, do you know how many people not including the suites your home side holds? i was just taking the 2013 capacity and subtracting the 2012 capacity to come up with 5,600ish and i think that could count the suites.

to respond to the officiating, there is no face-guarding penalty in the NCAA. maybe that's why she was nodding her head. I think there is a lot of contact that doesnt get called. If you are talking about the one on the south end home side, that was one where I was hoping we didnt get it called but honestly every pass that is close Im hoping for/against DPI depending on if we have the ball.

The worst part was the refs forgetting the QB got sacked and I still say they lost the spot and just guessed.

I was stunned they didnt throw the targeting penalty when it happened. it met all the requirements. the guy went in head first with his head down. ESPN app was down at the time so we cant see it again.

Our QB is very unsafe holding the ball....another guy and I talked about it vs EIU and it finally bit us in the ass. Our punt returner screwed up a punt return again. vs Liberty he missed catching one that led to points and I dont remember if you guys scored off his fumble but BEST case scenario we stopped you without scoring and ended up with bad field position.

I think that jet sweep is for teams that are keeping us from getting push up front and we did not get that. It pisses me off that one of your starters (DL) didnt even get asked to walk onto the team his brother played for(i think you had that with the Underwood brothers).

we had our opportunities to be in the game but pissed them away, you could argue that ISUr forced them into those failures and I dont think I could disagree.

REALBird
October 3rd, 2017, 06:48 PM
I have a quick question and some thoughts, do you know how many people not including the suites your home side holds? i was just taking the 2013 capacity and subtracting the 2012 capacity to come up with 5,600ish and i think that could count the suites.

to respond to the officiating, there is no face-guarding penalty in the NCAA. maybe that's why she was nodding her head. I think there is a lot of contact that doesnt get called. If you are talking about the one on the south end home side, that was one where I was hoping we didnt get it called but honestly every pass that is close Im hoping for/against DPI depending on if we have the ball.

The worst part was the refs forgetting the QB got sacked and I still say they lost the spot and just guessed.

I was stunned they didnt throw the targeting penalty when it happened. it met all the requirements. the guy went in head first with his head down. ESPN app was down at the time so we cant see it again.

Our QB is very unsafe holding the ball....another guy and I talked about it vs EIU and it finally bit us in the ass. Our punt returner screwed up a punt return again. vs Liberty he missed catching one that led to points and I dont remember if you guys scored off his fumble but BEST case scenario we stopped you without scoring and ended up with bad field position.

I think that jet sweep is for teams that are keeping us from getting push up front and we did not get that. It pisses me off that one of your starters (DL) didnt even get asked to walk onto the team his brother played for(i think you had that with the Underwood brothers).

we had our opportunities to be in the game but pissed them away, you could argue that ISUr forced them into those failures and I dont think I could disagree.

I want to say around 6000 minus the suites. We were down to about 7700 after tearing down the South End Zone and East Side bleachers. The band took up residence in the much smaller South end zone for a while, so I would say it never say more than about 500. My best guess is 6500 on both sides counting the suites and we sold about 300 end zone and SRO last game.

It was likely DPI, but I never knew about the face guarding. That snafu on the sack and spotting the ball was terrible.

Haven’t looked at the hit on the QB. Honestly in real time I thought it was helmet to helmet, at worst I thought a penalty. Haven’t seen a replay so I’m trusting their judgement.

Honestly the fumble in the end zone seemed to be the momentum shifter. We had nothing going until that play and the flood gates opened over the next 16-17 minutes. That being said I kept waiting for ISUb to pull within a TD all 4th quarter and make it a game. We did just enough to win.

Which ISUr starter did we get this time? Guess that means you guys get the next brother. LOL

Redbird 4th & short
October 3rd, 2017, 09:35 PM

We also pissed away opportunities .. drove the ball 3 times well into red zone in 1st half ... first to 8 yard line (failed on 4th down to your credit), 1 yard line but RB fumbled as he tried to one-arm it into end zone, and another drive to your 1 after which our center snapped the ball clear over our QB Kolbe's head that you guys recovered .. 3 drives in 1st half inside your 8 and we got zero points, yet still led 24-0 at half. You guys took momentum back in Q3 with a pick 6 and a drive, but then 4th qtr was stalemate as we put game on ice.

Your front 7 is strong and kept our young OL off balance most of the game .. we can only hope it was a learning experience that prepares them for rest of season. You guys are better than your record .. noted Massey has your SOS ranked 4th in FCS, and your average loss to FCS is just 5 points per game, ignoring the FBS Tenn game.

CappinHard
October 3rd, 2017, 10:52 PM
tl;dr x3

Updated MVFC power ranking imo:

NDSU
YSU
ISUr
USD
SDSU
WIU
UNI
SIU
ISUb
MSU

From the looks of things right now, it's looking like a 4 bid year for sure, 5 is possible, crazy things would have to happen for 6.

Thumper 76
October 3rd, 2017, 10:54 PM
tl;dr x3

NDSU
YSU
ISUr
USD
SDSU
WIU
UNI
SIU
ISUb
MSU

From the looks of things right now, it's looking like a 4 bid year for sure, 5 is possible, crazy things would have to happen for 6.

Fairly accurate as it stands right now.

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2017, 08:45 AM
We also pissed away opportunities .. drove the ball 3 times well into red zone in 1st half ... first to 8 yard line (failed on 4th down to your credit), 1 yard line but RB fumbled as he tried to one-arm it into end zone, and another drive to your 1 after which our center snapped the ball clear over our QB Kolbe's head that you guys recovered .. 3 drives in 1st half inside your 8 and we got zero points, yet still led 24-0 at half. You guys took momentum back in Q3 with a pick 6 and a drive, but then 4th qtr was stalemate as we put game on ice.

Your front 7 is strong and kept our young OL off balance most of the game .. we can only hope it was a learning experience that prepares them for rest of season. You guys are better than your record .. noted Massey has your SOS ranked 4th in FCS, and your average loss to FCS is just 5 points per game, ignoring the FBS Tenn game.

I also meant to laugh at that shameful effort one of our DBs had attempting to cover then attempting to DPI going toward the scoreboard. That was 1 of 2 situations where you guys were open to the endzone and fell down.

I wasnt trying say you guys didnt make mistakes, I just felt like you guys played in a fashion that would allow us to win and we failed to take advantage. kind of like 3 of the last 4 times we played.

Redbird 4th & short
October 4th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Fairly accurate as it stands right now.

As it stands right now, we deserve 6 teams. Colonial looks deeper, but Big Sky and Southern have slipped considerably from last 2 years.

Things could of course change but MVFC teams better not drop as top 10 teams start beating the crap out of each other. Case in point, SDSU loses by 12 to a very tough YSU team that executed a perfect game plan holding ball for 45 of 60 mins.

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Any of you UNI folks going to be at our game this Saturday?

My parents and I will be coming up and I thought if anyone from around these parts was going to be at the game, I'd try to stop by and say hi.
We might be in town by around lunchtime...any recommendations for places to eat (besides Casey's Pizza, of course)?

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2017, 09:52 AM
I won't be there. We chose Cal poly, Youngstown, and South Dakota this year. You could always say hello next time you're in the Quad cities though. xcoffeex

I would eat at Little Caesars, McDonalds, or the Wal Mart deli.

BisonTru
October 4th, 2017, 09:58 AM
I won't be there. We chose Cal poly, Youngstown, and South Dakota this year. You could always say hello next time you're in the Quad cities though. xcoffeex

I would eat at Little Caesars, McDonalds, or the Wal Mart deli.

xlolx

This is either the funniest thing I've read on here in a while.... or the saddest. xdrunkyx

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2017, 11:18 AM
xlolx

This is either the funniest thing I've read on here in a while.... or the saddest. xdrunkyx

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/565/679/781.png

UNIFanSince1983
October 4th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Sadly I will not be there either. Can only make it back once and we settled on Nov 4th against the Yotes.

I would suggest Mulligan's to eat. It is always on top of our list when we make it back.

TheKingpin28
October 4th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Any of you UNI folks going to be at our game this Saturday?

My parents and I will be coming up and I thought if anyone from around these parts was going to be at the game, I'd try to stop by and say hi.
We might be in town by around lunchtime...any recommendations for places to eat (besides Casey's Pizza, of course)?

Iirc, you said you enjoyed Pagliais and if so, (unless you have not), go into Iowa City and eat there, otherwise, the Hamburg Inn #2 in Iowa City is always a perfect choice.

clenz
October 4th, 2017, 04:08 PM
You do realize that Iowa City is 80-90 minutes south of Cedar Falls, right?

Sure, he's driving through on his way to CF...kinda...but it's still not really a place that's an easy eat and get to CF for a game situation - or eat after the game. It's a 4 PM kick. By the time you get to Iowa City after the game (if they drive home after) it's going to be 9:30. Game is over about 7:7:30. To get to your car and out of the lot you're looking 745-800.

In Cedar Falls it's tough to go wrong with Mulligans. I'd suggest Whiskey Road on Main Street. Toads on Main street is pretty good. Ursus and Alpha loved the hell out of the garbage burger at Toads. Pump Haus on Main St is pretty good as well. Basically, go to Main Street.

Also, 4Queens Ice Cream on 1st St on the north side of Cedar Falls is worth the wait of the drive through.

TheKingpin28
October 4th, 2017, 04:27 PM
You do realize that Iowa City is 80-90 minutes south of Cedar Falls, right?

Sure, he's driving through on his way to CF...kinda...but it's still not really a place that's an easy eat and get to CF for a game situation - or eat after the game. It's a 4 PM kick. By the time you get to Iowa City after the game (if they drive home after) it's going to be 9:30. Game is over about 7:7:30. To get to your car and out of the lot you're looking 745-800.

In Cedar Falls it's tough to go wrong with Mulligans. I'd suggest Whiskey Road on Main Street. Toads on Main street is pretty good. Ursus and Alpha loved the hell out of the garbage burger at Toads. Pump Haus on Main St is pretty good as well. Basically, go to Main Street.

Also, 4Queens Ice Cream on 1st St on the north side of Cedar Falls is worth the wait of the drive through.

I can make the drive in 1 hour, but it was a suggestion in case he is going through that way. I know when I would go to CF/Waterloo I would eat in Iowa City and then go up there. Again. that is just me.

UNIFanSince1983
October 4th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Depending on when he is going through he may just want to Avoid Iowa City altogether. The Hawks play at 11 and it is bitch getting through there anywhere near game time.

I would suggest going through the QC and taking 61 up to 30 then over to CR just to skip IC traffic altogether depending on when you would be traveling through.

clenz
October 4th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Plus it's homecoming in Iowa City....so....

I went to Iowa City today for work (work on the south side of CR). It is already a disaster down there. You're advice about getting to HWY 30 is solid advice actually.

I'd look at taking 67 north to I80 then taking I80 to Hwy 38 north (Tipton) and then getting on HWY 30 from there. That will dump you right on to the south side of Cedar Rapids to take 380 north.

Having said that - 30 is real torn up around Mt Vernon due to putting a bypass or something in. Which still might not be as bad as the Iowa City traffic homecoming weekend.

clenz
October 4th, 2017, 04:42 PM
I can make the drive in 1 hour, but it was a suggestion in case he is going through that way. I know when I would go to CF/Waterloo I would eat in Iowa City and then go up there. Again. that is just me.
You're ****ing high, or just like a ****ing moron if you think you're making it to the UNIDome from Iowa City in an hour. The speed limit is 65

It's 83 miles from the UNIDome to the junction of 380/80. That is the extreme NW side of the Iowa City/Coralville Metro.

Don't believe me?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.6944501,-91.6302835/UNI-Dome,+2501+Hudson+Rd,+Cedar+Falls,+IA+50614/@41.6936475,-91.628572,15.96z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x87effffa1f2ba437:0xf 3e56de649450483!2m2!1d-92.4673954!2d42.5156321!3e0

If you' are going 83 miles per hour, on average, between those two points you're IQ is about 7. That includes having to get through Cedar Rapids on 380, which I can tell you because I ****ing live here, is going to add time to your drive.

If you're getting from Pagliai's to the dome it's 90 miles. Don't believe me? https://www.google.com/maps/dir/A+%26+A+Pagliai's+Pizza,+East+Bloomington+Street,+ Iowa+City,+IA/UNI-Dome,+2501+Hudson+Rd,+Cedar+Falls,+IA+50614/@42.0898052,-92.5264196,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x87e441f0bb3a4f 6d:0x4b74bdf5f899eca6!2m2!1d-91.5314101!2d41.6649623!1m5!1m1!1s0x87effffa1f2ba4 37:0xf3e56de649450483!2m2!1d-92.4673954!2d42.5156321!3e0

There is no ****ing way you're going Iowa City to Cedar Falls in an hour.

Maybe if you're counting Coralville and Waterloo as part of Iowa City and Cedar Falls you can do it. It's 71 miles from the last Iowa City/Coralville exit to the first Waterloo/Cedar Falls exit. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.6986581,-91.640476/42.4552064,-92.3091451/@42.4529565,-92.3162657,15.18z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Again, I live here. I drive 380 every single day. I go to Iowa City a few times a week for work. I live on the far NE side of the CR metro. It's 63 miles from my house to the UNIDome. I drive faster than the average person as I do about 72-73. By the time I get from my house to the parking lot of the UNIDome I park in, it's 67 minutes. No way you're getting to the UNIDome faster than that from downtown Iowa City.

Side note Lawson - parking is $5 per car at UNI now just to protect you from not having cash with you

BisonTru
October 4th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Math time.

If you drive 83 MPH you have an IQ of 7. Clenz drives 73. What is Clenz's IQ? xdrunkyx

TheKingpin28
October 4th, 2017, 04:57 PM
You're ****ing high, or just like a ****ing moron if you think you're making it to the UNIDome from Iowa City in an hour. The speed limit is 65

It's 83 miles from the UNIDome to the junction of 380/80. That is the extreme NW side of the Iowa City/Coralville Metro.

Don't believe me?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.6944501,-91.6302835/UNI-Dome,+2501+Hudson+Rd,+Cedar+Falls,+IA+50614/@41.6936475,-91.628572,15.96z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x87effffa1f2ba437:0xf 3e56de649450483!2m2!1d-92.4673954!2d42.5156321!3e0

If you' are going 83 miles per hour, on average, between those two points you're IQ is about 7. That includes having to get through Cedar Rapids on 380, which I can tell you because I ****ing live here, is going to add time to your drive.

If you're getting from Pagliai's to the dome it's 90 miles. Don't believe me? https://www.google.com/maps/dir/A+%26+A+Pagliai's+Pizza,+East+Bloomington+Street,+ Iowa+City,+IA/UNI-Dome,+2501+Hudson+Rd,+Cedar+Falls,+IA+50614/@42.0898052,-92.5264196,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x87e441f0bb3a4f 6d:0x4b74bdf5f899eca6!2m2!1d-91.5314101!2d41.6649623!1m5!1m1!1s0x87effffa1f2ba4 37:0xf3e56de649450483!2m2!1d-92.4673954!2d42.5156321!3e0

There is no ****ing way you're going Iowa City to Cedar Falls in an hour.

Maybe if you're counting Coralville and Waterloo as part of Iowa City and Cedar Falls you can do it. It's 71 miles from the last Iowa City/Coralville exit to the first Waterloo/Cedar Falls exit. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.6986581,-91.640476/42.4552064,-92.3091451/@42.4529565,-92.3162657,15.18z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Again, I live here. I drive 380 every single day. I go to Iowa City a few times a week for work. I live on the far NE side of the CR metro. It's 63 miles from my house to the UNIDome. I drive faster than the average person as I do about 72-73. By the time I get from my house to the parking lot of the UNIDome I park in, it's 67 minutes. No way you're getting to the UNIDome faster than that from downtown Iowa City.

Side note Lawson - parking is $5 per car at UNI now just to protect you from not having cash with you

Well I am a horrible driver and my family lives up in Coralville so I consider that part of the IC metro. (Up by Culvers) Also, I am a horrible driver so I am usually cruising down the road. Sorry that it takes me 1:15 to get to CF, but I consider the 2 to be one bigger metro so yeah, that is why I consider it about to get there.

CappinHard
October 4th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Math time.

If you drive 83 MPH you have an IQ of 7. Clenz drives 73. What is Clenz's IQ? xdrunkyx

Assuming a negative logarithmic relation between a person's IQ and the amount over the speed limit that person drives, Clenz's IQ would be 49. Still not very good. Explains some of the posts at least. :D

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2017, 06:35 PM
I honestly can't think of anywhere in Cedar Falls that I have to eat when I am back. Depends on what you are into.

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info guys. We were planning on heading out of Macomb around 10, putting us going past Iowa City around lunch time, but if it's Homecoming at Iowa...lunch in town would be a big ol' nope. We'd be coming up Burlington->Mt. Pleasant and up on 218...if we just kept on that where it turns into I-380 out past Coralville and maybe just pushed through to have lunch around Cedar Rapids or something, would that work...or do you think it'll be crazy out on the highway too if the game is underway? Or would it be better to leave earlier so we're up by CF/WL by lunchtime?

We'll probably grab late dinner after the game if there's any place in CF that isn't packed...but considering it's you all's Homecoming too, that might be too much to ask.

A friend of mine is the HS band director in Mt. Vernon, so I'll ask him about US 30 through that area.

I can also confirm that Cedar Falls to Iowa City is more than an hour. We had to go to a family funeral in Dike and were staying at the Holiday Inn Express by the Crossroads Mall once. My brother-in-law, who was going to U of Iowa at the time, had forgotten his dress pants, so I drove him from there down to Iowa City and back to CF the night before the funeral. Almost exactly 1:15 for that drive, and that's about the closest corner of CF to Iowa City.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2017, 07:52 PM
Clenz is also your CR guy. In Cedar Rapids I enjoy the Lost Cuban right off the interstate.

Bisonoline
October 4th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Clenz is also your CR guy. In Cedar Rapids I enjoy the Lost Cuban right off the interstate.

In CR Need Pizza. They also have place called the Flying Weiner or something like that that had a good italian sausage.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2017, 08:31 PM
There are a few Casey's along the path. Stop early enough and order a breakfast pizza with pineapple!

TheKingpin28
October 4th, 2017, 08:34 PM
There are a few Casey's along the path. Stop early enough and order a breakfast pizza with pineapple!

This and more of this!

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2017, 08:55 PM

Casey's....yes

Pizza w/ pineapple....
https://i.giphy.com/media/3o7btT1T9qpQZWhNlK/giphy.webp

clenz
October 5th, 2017, 07:48 AM
In CR Need Pizza. They also have place called the Flying Weiner or something like that that had a good italian sausage.
Can confirm Need Pizza http://www.needcr.com/

http://nebula.wsimg.com/510b04122816aa7a2f28d3c662071a0b?AccessKeyId=378F9 0434821A5EFB412&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I can't really give a ton of advice as to what the HWY will look like that time of day. It could be completely empty due to the 11 kick. Avoid going into Iowa City at all costs.

Cedar Rapids places could be busy too with the game on, but it's about an an hour fiften, maybe an hour and a half from downtown to the UNIDome, so you'd be fine if you rolled into CR about 11-11:30

It depends on what food your into, what you want to spend and how far into CR you want to get. Here's a handful I enjoy

Village Meat Market & Cafe http://www.villagemeatmarketcafe.com/meat-market.html
Emil's Hideaway - http://www.emilshideaway.com/ - it really is hidden, but worh it.
Need Pizza - already covered
Parlor City - http://www.parlorcitypub.com/
Brewhemia - https://www.facebook.com/Brewhemia/ - this is your hipster place if you want that.
The Lost Cuban - https://www.facebook.com/TheLostCuban/
Jersey's Pub and Grub - http://www.jerseyscr.com/ = typical sports bar food. Nothing great but it's a true sports bar if you want that.

My favorite
Zoey's Pizza - http://www.zoeyspizza.com/ - this one is really off the 380 path....like 15 minutes off 380 depending how you hit traffic on Blairs Ferry Road. Getting back to 380 is super easy though. You head straight north from that place until you are in the coutntry and come to a T. Take the T west and it'll run you straight into 380. Bonus is you could stop at the local high school (right off of the road you take north) and see a HS stadium that puts 80-85% of the FCS stadiumds to shame. The pizza will cost you more than pretty much any other place but so worth it. It's a hole in the wall size building. I think the entire dining area is maybe 20x30.

Wait County Home Road is torn up. Here's a map of how to get there, and out, in the fastest way possible. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.0287529,-91.6730735/ZOEY'S+PIZZERIA,+690+10th+St,+Marion,+IA+52302/42.058652,-91.6120777/42.096187,-91.7013971/@42.0719427,-91.6250244,14.08z/data=!4m11!4m10!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x87e4f18747a58fcd:0 xa747c980839af4e5!2m2!1d-91.599531!2d42.033169!1m0!1m0!3e0

Plus, if you do end up taking 30, Zoeys' is super easy to get too given where Marion is.

As Rob said, there isn't a "must have" place in Cedar Falls. The OP on University is pretty close to that, but that's about it. I'd take most CR places over CF places.

Anyway...I'll stop now and let you decide what you're going to do

Sycamore62
October 5th, 2017, 08:21 AM
we should have a forum for road trippers to each fcs school from a football fan's perspective. Hotels, food and traffic.

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2017, 08:29 AM
we should have a forum for road trippers to each fcs school from a football fan's perspective. Hotels, food and traffic.

Don't need much for us though...
Hotels - you have all of maybe 3 options
Traffic - none
Food - ok, we do have some decent restaurants compared to some areas

Redbird 4th & short
October 5th, 2017, 09:48 AM
This and more of this!

Being from Chicago, where the only good pizza can be found and in a wide variety of styles, this shames me to admit this .. but couple times a year, I'll do the pineapple and canadien bacon, but no f-ing way do I add the BBQ sauce .. not proud of fruiting a pizza, but it's good once in a while ... nor will I ever come out of the closet. Made my family sign NDAs. xcoolx

Like the road trip tips thread idea .. general question ... any decent gas station will offer .10 cents off per gallon of gas if you also buy the carwash. Does Casey's gas station have same deal if you buy a pizza ?? :D

MarkG87
October 5th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Being from Chicago, where the only good pizza can be found and in a wide variety of styles, this shames me to admit this .. but couple times a year, I'll do the pineapple and canadien bacon, but no f-ing way do I add the BBQ sauce .. not proud of fruiting a pizza, but it's good once in a while ... nor will I ever come out of the closet. Made my family sign NDAs. xcoolx

Like the road trip tips thread idea .. general question ... any decent gas station will offer .10 cents off per gallon of gas if you also buy the carwash. Does Casey's gas station have same deal if you buy a pizza ?? :D

Went to ISU a long time ago and stayed a couple more years in B-N and have to say, I ate a whole lot of Tobin's BBQ pizza. But it is the only BBQ pizza I've ever liked. Haven't been back in over 20 years, but Avanti's sounds really good right now.

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2017, 04:14 PM

Not sure about that, but I know you can use your Hy-Vee fuel saver card at Casey's.

Redbird 4th & short
October 5th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Went to ISU a long time ago and stayed a couple more years in B-N and have to say, I ate a whole lot of Tobin's BBQ pizza. But it is the only BBQ pizza I've ever liked. Haven't been back in over 20 years, but Avanti's sounds really good right now.

Avanti's fresh baked bread is the bomb .. for hot and cold sandwiches, garlic breads, or just plain warm bread & cold butter

The other hot spot is DP Dough .. specialize in Calzones ... very good eats ... drunk or sober.

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Not sure about that, but I know you can use your Hy-Vee fuel saver card at Casey's.

I love that...saved 'em up and a couple of times I've been able to get gas for nearly free.

Avanti's fresh baked bread is the bomb .. for hot and cold sandwiches, garlic breads, or just plain warm bread & cold butter

Avanti's is so good.

My mom went to Illinois State and Avanti's got her through many weekend study sessions. We went to both WIU games at ISU back in 2015 and both times we stopped off at Avanti's in Peoria on the way back (Avanti's in Normal would have been too busy to get out of there at a reasonable time).

I also dated a girl for a while who went to Bradley, right across the street from Avanti's in Peoria. I make a point of stopping there nearly every time I'm over that way.

EDIT - here...I made a thing: http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-week-6-preview-2/

ST_Lawson
October 6th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Random trivia question that is probably not that hard for some of you, I'd imagine.

What person has been inducted into the athletic Halls of Fame for four different schools that are or were members of the MVFC/Gateway Conference?

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Random trivia question that is probably not that hard for some of you, I'd imagine.

What person has been inducted into the athletic Halls of Fame for four different schools that are or were members of the MVFC/Gateway Conference?
Darrell Mudra???

ST_Lawson
October 6th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Darrell Mudra???

Yup.
NDSU - http://www.gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=153
WIU - http://goleathernecks.com/hof.aspx?hof=167
UNI - http://unipanthers.com/hof.aspx?hof=84
and former Gateway conference member EIU (their HOF site is goofy, so I can't link directly to it)

Also DII Adams State: http://www.asugrizzlies.com/hof.aspx?hof=77
(although I think we were all technically DII back when he coached our teams).

Just something interesting that I noticed. I knew he had coached at WIU, NDSU, and UNI, but didn't realize he was in all of our HoF's along with Eastern's.

UNIFanSince1983
October 6th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Yup.
NDSU - http://www.gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=153
WIU - http://goleathernecks.com/hof.aspx?hof=167
UNI - http://unipanthers.com/hof.aspx?hof=84
and former Gateway conference member EIU (their HOF site is goofy, so I can't link directly to it)

Also DII Adams State: http://www.asugrizzlies.com/hof.aspx?hof=77
(although I think we were all technically DII back when he coached our teams).

Just something interesting that I noticed. I knew he had coached at WIU, NDSU, and UNI, but didn't realize he was in all of our HoF's along with Eastern's.

He was definitely the coach for us in 1-AA. I don't know exactly when we started the transition, but he led us to our first 1-AA playoffs in 1985.

ST_Lawson
October 6th, 2017, 02:11 PM
He was definitely the coach for us in 1-AA. I don't know exactly when we started the transition, but he led us to our first 1-AA playoffs in 1985.

Oh yea, you're right. He was with NDSU and WIU when we were both DII, with EIU during their transition from DII to I-AA (DII championship game in 1980, I-AA quarterfinal finish in 1982), and then UNI in the '80s when you'd already moved up. Mid-Con football started at the I-AA level in 1981, and I think that's when we moved up (and likely most of the rest of us original Mid-Con->Gateway football members around the same time as well).

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2017, 02:15 PM
He was instrumental in turning NDSU into a traditional football power as well. In 1962 NDSU was 0-10 and only one of those games was closer than a 10 point margin. His first year in 1963 they went 3-5, his 2nd year they went 10-1, and his 3rd and final year they went 11-0 and won their first college division championship. The rest is history.

ST_Lawson
October 6th, 2017, 02:27 PM
He was instrumental in turning NDSU into a traditional football power as well. In 1962 NDSU was 0-10 and only one of those games was closer than a 10 point margin. His first year in 1963 they went 3-5, his 2nd year they went 10-1, and his 3rd and final year they went 11-0 and won their first college division championship. The rest is history.

I think that all four of the schools can trace a great deal of success back to Coach Mudra. It's crazy to think of the impact that one guy had on football at our level and in our conference.

uni88
October 6th, 2017, 04:15 PM
It still pisses me off that he was pushed out to make room for Earle Bruce. Bruce's '88 team had a lot of guys back from Mudra's '87 team that lost on the road in OT in the semifinals. Bruce turned a high powered offense that should have competed for a natty into 3 yards and a cloud of turf offense for a team that finished 5-6.

cx500d
October 6th, 2017, 09:56 PM

I remember beating UNI in 1982 which was the last time we played them until 2008. I guess that was the year before Mudra started at UNI, though.

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2017, 07:31 AM
I think that all four of the schools can trace a great deal of success back to Coach Mudra. It's crazy to think of the impact that one guy had on football at our level and in our conference.
Even more amazing when you think he only spent 3-5 years at all those places.

There were no "He needs time to flush out the old coach's players and get his recruits in there" excuses for Mudra.

Redbird 4th & short
October 7th, 2017, 08:34 AM

This story peaked my curiosity, and I just caught up on google ... this guy had one incredible career. So I decided to do chronology of this guy ... his finger prints are all over MVFC and FCS programs. Can only guess he liked the challenge of turning around programs and then got bored ??? But he never experience much D-I A success, though he laid foundation for Florida St by making them at least competitive while going 1-10 and 3-8, and did turn Arizona into winning team .. very curious why he left Arizona at time after getting them to 8-3 paling in WAC.

Started head coaching at age of 30 at Adams St

1957-58, Adams St was 1-17-1, then 1959-62 Adams St went 32-4-1 under Mudra, same division as NDSU back then.

1962 NDSU was 0-10 under prior coach, then Mudra took over to go 3-5 in 1963 followed up with 10-1 in 1964 and 11-0 in 1965. Was 24-6 in 4 years.

1966 Arizona (WAC) was 3-7 under prior coach, then Mudra took over to go 3-6-1 in 1967, but then went 8-3 in 1968 and left before making them power house.

1968 WIU was 2-7-1 under prior coach, then Mudra took over and went 8-2 in 1969 to win conference, and 39-13 over 5 years.

1973 Florida was 0-11 under prior coach, Mudra took over and only managed 1-10 and then 3-8. But his first year he lost to #13 Pitt by just 3 and #3 Alabama by just 1 in a game they had won if not for taking a safety and then giving up a FG to lose. Only program he did not turn around inside of 1 or 2 years.

1977 EIU was 1-10 under prior coach, then Mudra took over and went 12-2 in 1978 and won D-11 championship. He left after going 11-1-1 in 1982 losing in quarterfinals. Was 47-15-1 in 6 years.

1981-82 (just went D-I AA) UNI was 9-12-1 under prior coach, then Mudra took over and went 6-5 followed by 9-2, when Gateway was just formed, and won 2 conference championships, ranking 4th nationally and losing both years in semis .. before retiring around age of 53.Was 43-16-1 in 5 seasons.

This guy had incredible career and left quiet a footprint all over what is now FCS level football.

uni88
October 7th, 2017, 08:56 AM
This story peaked my curiosity, and I just caught up on google ... this guy had one incredible career. So I decided to do chronology of this guy ... his finger prints are all over MVFC and FCS programs. Can only guess he liked the challenge of turning around programs and then got bored ??? But he never experience much D-I A success, though he laid foundation for Florida St by making them at least competitive while going 1-10 and 3-8, and did turn Arizona into winning team .. very curious why he left Arizona at time after getting them to 8-3 paling in WAC.

Started head coaching at age of 30 at Adams St

1957-58, Adams St was 1-17-1, then 1959-62 Adams St went 32-4-1 under Mudra, same division as NDSU back then.

1962 NDSU was 0-10 under prior coach, then Mudra took over to go 3-5 in 1963 followed up with 10-1 in 1964 and 11-0 in 1965. Was 24-6 in 4 years.

1966 Arizona (WAC) was 3-7 under prior coach, then Mudra took over to go 3-6-1 in 1967, but then went 8-3 in 1968 and left before making them power house.

1968 WIU was 2-7-1 under prior coach, then Mudra took over and went 8-2 in 1969 to win conference, and 39-13 over 5 years.

1973 Florida was 0-11 under prior coach, Mudra took over and only managed 1-10 and then 3-8. But his first year he lost to #13 Pitt by just 3 and #3 Alabama by just 1 in a game they had won if not for taking a safety and then giving up a FG to lose. Only program he did not turn around inside of 1 or 2 years.

1977 EIU was 1-10 under prior coach, then Mudra took over and went 12-2 in 1978 and won D-11 championship. He left after going 11-1-1 in 1982 losing in quarterfinals. Was 47-15-1 in 6 years.

1981-82 (just went D-I AA) UNI was 9-12-1 under prior coach, then Mudra took over and went 6-5 followed by 9-2, when Gateway was just formed, and won 2 conference championships, ranking 4th nationally and losing both years in semis .. before retiring around age of 53.Was 43-16-1 in 5 seasons.

This guy had incredible career and left quiet a footprint all over what is now FCS level football.

Good summary but I don't think he "retired" from UNI. Everything I remember from that time indicates that he was pushed out to make room for Earle Bruce who had just been fired by Ohio State.

Bobby Bowden also spoke highly of Mudra, saying something along the lines of the cupboard wasn't bare when he got to Florida State and Mudra likely would have turned it around with one more year.

I'm also curious about why he left Arizona.

Redbird 4th & short
October 7th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Good summary but I don't think he "retired" from UNI. Everything I remember from that time indicates that he was pushed out to make room for Earle Bruce who had just been fired by Ohio State.

Bobby Bowden also spoke highly of Mudra, saying something along the lines of the cupboard wasn't bare when he got to Florida State and Mudra likely would have turned it around with one more year.

good info on Bruce hiring and Bowden.

Here is article from his FSU days .. they questioned his tactic of coaching games from press box. He said he did it because it gave him much better vantage point, than standing on sidelines, so he could better see what was working and not working. I'd say he was way ahead of his time. Not sure why he couldn't break thru to D-I A with his track record. Going to dig more another time ... but press clippings and archives are lot thinner dating back to 1980's.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19741124&id=jx5UAAAAIBAJ&sjid=8owDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6977,3389157

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 12:33 PM

Mack Brown also talked about him when Mack was the color man for either the FCS kickoff against chuck south or the EWU game last year. Mack Brown was an assistant on Mudra's staff at Florida State and said Mudra would often talk about his time at NDSU.

ST_Lawson
October 7th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Live from the UNI-Dome...sponsored by Caseys Pizza
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171007/7168df51ce5ecb25b5eba859cb98c570.jpg

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Live from the UNI-Dome...sponsored by Caseys Pizza
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171007/7168df51ce5ecb25b5eba859cb98c570.jpg

Hmm... Just had some pizza from Pizza Luce today.

Schism55
October 7th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Straight Fire!! ^^

Drblankstare
October 7th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Refill those blood pressure scrips boys and girls, we got 6 more weeks of this

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Refill those blood pressure scrips boys and girls, we got 6 more weeks of this

You got that Valium? :p

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Ill State - NAU is on the Pluto app on my apple TV. NAU just makes two big passes. down to the 20

- - - Updated - - -

TD NAU 14-6

Oops, I meant 20-6.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Ill turns over ball on downs at the 15

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 08:18 PM
NAU gets another TD...ILL State is embarrassing the MVFC

centennial
October 7th, 2017, 08:20 PM
I am not going to vote for Illinois State this week shameful football.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 08:21 PM
monster kickoff return by Ill St. down to the NAU 22.

centennial
October 7th, 2017, 08:24 PM
27-9 NAU
Embarrassing the MVFC.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 08:24 PM
ill state only gets a filed goal out of it. 27-9 NAU

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2017, 08:30 PM
319 yards passing for NAU already. xsmhx

Still time left in the 2nd quarter.

centennial
October 7th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Illinois State lucky, it should've been an INT.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 08:37 PM
Ill State is stinkums...

centennial
October 7th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Cookus taking an absolute beating by Illinois State. But NAU is about to score here.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 08:39 PM
WIU handled NAU pretty easy....Looking like Redbirds blow this year.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 08:43 PM
NAU FG 30-9..

centennial
October 7th, 2017, 08:44 PM
I am still hoping they can pull it out. But don't see how that will happen. Need 3 scores.

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2017, 08:45 PM
NAU FG 30-9..

No reason for me to believe that ISUr is a top 15 team. However, since almost everyone else has decided not to show up this season, they will find a way to stay in the top 15. NAU has made a case for me to put them in my poll.

centennial
October 7th, 2017, 08:46 PM
No reason for me to believe that ISUr is a top 15 team. However, since almost everyone else has decided not to show up this season, they will find a way to stay in the top 15. NAU has made a case for me to put them in my poll.
ISUr and NAU both suck. I can't believe I thought Illinois State was any good.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 08:51 PM
NAU picks off Ill state in the redzone....embarrassing

TheKingpin28
ISUr and NAU both suck. I can't believe I thought Illinois State was any good.

Cookus, is solid, but the fact of the matter is, can you name 25 other teams who deserve to be in there?

I ask, since I know I can't. The Citadel does not belong, Stony Brook is borderline, Montana is borderline but I had them at 25 last week, UNI (after today not a chance with that collapse), William & Mary lost to Elon so they are out, Tenn St (they won but lost to UTM who lost to MURRAY STATE!), I already had Delaware in so I don't count them, IVY LEAGUE TEAMS yeah not going to happen in my book as of now.

That is just me, but both teams will get in by virtue of a lot of teams not showing up.

centennial
Game over ISUr. Throws an INT in the red zone.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Finally ill state gets a TD

centennial
October 7th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Finally ill state gets a TD
As soon as i think Illinois State is out, they score. There is still a game here.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Ill State turns over on downs.

centennial
October 7th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Yea.. after that run, I am going to go watch something else. Even a FG here ends this game.

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2017, 09:09 PM
ISUr should not even be in this game.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Yea.. after that run, I am going to go watch something else. Even a FG here ends this game.

Yeah, EWU game is also on Pluto

UCD 14, EWU 13

centennial
October 7th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Yeah, EWU game is also on Pluto

UCD 14, EWU 13
That's what I am watching now.

dbackjon
October 7th, 2017, 09:16 PM
NAU scores again

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 09:17 PM
NAU scores again

Yeah, not watching anymore...Too embarrassing

POD Knows
October 7th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Way to go ISUr, pathetic. Have a nice ride home to nowheresville.

Redbird 4th & short
October 7th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Defense was crushing it, other than their WR made some big plays. Offense was horrible all game .. OL has been completely exposed. Cookus started to ffind some holes in wnd half, Defense eventually got gassed getting no help from offense. NAU defense came out flying fast and put our OL on their heels .. embarrasing to say the least.

Our defense is still legit. Our offense goes back to square one .. we knew our OL was suspect but thought they were and would continue developing .. been a struggle to run the ball for 3 games now, and only ISUb had a respectable defense. Kolbe had bad day on top of it all .. but he had little time and RBs had very little room for 3 quarters.

Back to square one on offense .. lot to work on. Not giving up on them yet .. but today was 2 steps backward.

POD Knows
October 7th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Defense was crushing it, other than their WR made some big plays. Offense was horrible all game .. OL has been exposed. Cookus started to ffind some holes in wnd half, Defense eventually got gassed getting no help from offense. NAU defense came out flying fast and put our OL on their heels .. embarrasing to say the least.

Our defense is still legit. Our offense goes back to square one .. we knew our OL was suspect but thought they were and would continue developing .. been a struggle to run the ball for 3 games now, and only ISUb had a respectable defense. Kolbe had bad day on top of it all .. but he had little time and RBs had very little room for 3 quarters.

Back to square one on offense .. lot to work on. Not giving up on them yet .. but today was 2 steps backward.100 steps backward, your season is over.

BisonFan02
October 7th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Defense was crushing it, other than their WR made some big plays. Offense was horrible all game .. OL has been completely exposed. Cookus started to ffind some holes in wnd half, Defense eventually got gassed getting no help from offense. NAU defense came out flying fast and put our OL on their heels .. embarrasing to say the least.

Back to square one on offense .. lot to work on. Not giving up on them yet .. but today was 2 steps backward.

Better figure it out fast....you've got one more tune up game (debatable) before you could be staring down 5 consecutive losses (USD, YSU, WIU, SDSU, and NDSU in that order).

dbackjon
October 7th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Give NAU and Cookus some credit. He is a legit Payton Candidate. NAU lost one of FCS' best receivers to injury early in the season but is now recovering

POD Knows
October 7th, 2017, 09:28 PM
Give NAU and Cookus some credit. He is a legit Payton Candidate. NAU lost one of FCS' best receivers to injury early in the season but is now recoveringAgree, great win guys, I hate MVFC posers, the more losses for them the better, screw ISUR, it only helps NDSU in the long run, I love it when these guys get there ass handed to them. Big thumbs up from me.

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Give NAU and Cookus some credit. He is a legit Payton Candidate. NAU lost one of FCS' best receivers to injury early in the season but is now recovering

I have given Cookus credit going all the way back to last year. I would have to look for it, but I can tell you I have been on his bandwagon since at least last year.

CappinHard
October 7th, 2017, 09:43 PM

NDSU
USD
YSU
SDSU
WIU
ISUr
UNI
SIU
MSU
ISUb

Redbird 4th & short
October 7th, 2017, 11:36 PM
100 steps backward, your season is over.

must you be so obvious

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShjKGyz98lRF2AZDlFC12G1mt-Snx6CsfpPA2lgvybyzMhK3Sq (https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic2.fjcdn.com%2Fco mments%2F5303049%2B_c612303441dc551c008ecdc583edcf d9.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyjunk.com%2FKarma% 2Bpolice%2Ffunny-gifs%2F5303493%2F84&docid=yXm3l-5cOj6rjM&tbnid=ALAWocTPRhqVxM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwi_6PWQmeDWAhWZ0YMKHUxGDTYQMwhPKBYwFg.. i&w=604&h=453&client=safari&bih=816&biw=1199&q=not%20taking%20the%20bait&ved=0ahUKEwi_6PWQmeDWAhWZ0YMKHUxGDTYQMwhPKBYwFg&iact=mrc&uact=8)

Redbird 4th & short
October 7th, 2017, 11:41 PM
Better figure it out fast....you've got one more tune up game (debatable) before you could be staring down 5 consecutive losses (USD, YSU, WIU, SDSU, and NDSU in that order).
Spack has recovered from similar situations just fine. Will admit, losing some confidence this OL will improve enough to hold their own as our schedule strengthens, given how last 3 games have played out in run game ... but not giving up on my Redbirds over one game.

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Defense was crushing it, other than their WR made some big plays.

Yeah, 431 yards of against your defense, I'd say were crushed...

POD Knows
October 8th, 2017, 08:36 AM
must you be so obvious

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShjKGyz98lRF2AZDlFC12G1mt-Snx6CsfpPA2lgvybyzMhK3Sq (https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic2.fjcdn.com%2Fco mments%2F5303049%2B_c612303441dc551c008ecdc583edcf d9.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyjunk.com%2FKarma% 2Bpolice%2Ffunny-gifs%2F5303493%2F84&docid=yXm3l-5cOj6rjM&tbnid=ALAWocTPRhqVxM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwi_6PWQmeDWAhWZ0YMKHUxGDTYQMwhPKBYwFg.. i&w=604&h=453&client=safari&bih=816&biw=1199&q=not%20taking%20the%20bait&ved=0ahUKEwi_6PWQmeDWAhWZ0YMKHUxGDTYQMwhPKBYwFg&iact=mrc&uact=8)LOL, a little of both but mostly bait. Plus I am am pissed because now I might have to actually put some thought into my poll, WTH are we going to do with you guys in the rankings.

Professor Chaos
October 8th, 2017, 04:09 PM

NDSU
USD
YSU
SDSU
WIU
ISUr
UNI
SIU
MSU
ISUb
Notice your bottom five are the 5 MVC members of the MVFC? SL/MVFC teams are a combined 18-2 on the year and MVC/MVFC teams are a combined 9-16. Maybe we should change the league name to the SLFC (Summit League Football Conference) based on what programs are carrying the water??? :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 8th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Notice your bottom five are the 5 MVC members of the MVFC? SL/MVFC teams are a combined 18-2 on the year and MVC/MVFC teams are a combined 9-16. Maybe we should change the league name to SLFC (Summit League Football Conference) based on what programs are carrying the water. :D

Of the 6 remaining games for the Bison, I would have never thought that the "weak sister" in the group would be UNI, as of right now....xeekx

Professor Chaos
October 8th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Of the 6 remaining games for the Bison, I would have never thought that the "weak sister" in the group would be UNI, as of right now....xeekx
Indeed. It's also a testament to how tough the rest of the schedule is since, despite being 2-3, UNI is far from a gimme win. The cupcakes are over for the Bison... they've feasted on them as they should've but the real football season starts next week in Youngstown!

TheKingpin28
October 8th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Notice your bottom five are the 5 MVC members of the MVFC? SL/MVFC teams are a combined 18-2 on the year and MVC/MVFC teams are a combined 9-16. Maybe we should change the league name to the SLFC (Summit League Football Conference) based on what programs are carrying the water??? :D

Wait until Clenz sees this. Oh this will be good!

BisonFan02
October 8th, 2017, 04:25 PM

https://media.tenor.com/images/f68e301d032d03e7ea7b6b1b14f12099/tenor.gif

BisonFan02
October 8th, 2017, 04:26 PM

Shut it toadie.

Professor Chaos
October 8th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Over/under: 750 words

BisonFan02
October 8th, 2017, 04:28 PM

Now? Under.

Professor Chaos
October 8th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Now? Under.
Haha, fair enough... maybe a better O/U would be number of asterisks. I'll peg it at 8.5.

TheKingpin28
October 8th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Shut it toadie.

What did you say! You got nothing on me, brah!

Well he USED to care about UNI football so I will take the under. Though I feel like he would copy/paste 751 words over and over just so I would lose.

PantherRob82
October 8th, 2017, 04:56 PM

You know we are going to whup you and then lose out, right? ;)

TheKingpin28
October 8th, 2017, 04:59 PM

Farley will Farley the game. NGTH. He will put in a "dual-threat" QB who would fall out of a boat and not hit water, but since he can "run" Farley will find a way to screw with the gameplan and Farley things up.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 8th, 2017, 05:24 PM

UNI always plays the Bison tough and I do not doubt they will again. They definitely can beat the Bison. Any of these last 6 teams can.

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2017, 05:52 PM

translated there's only one singer that's caring the whole band

Redbird 4th & short
October 8th, 2017, 06:22 PM
LOL, a little of both but mostly bait. Plus I am am pissed because now I might have to actually put some thought into my poll, WTH are we going to do with you guys in the rankings.

I've thought we were 10-15 until now. Now thinking 15-20 until we see another week or 2. It's just one game. NAU played out of their minds on defense and we sucked - they played fast and loose. Many good teams have played a bad game, and many more will. As I said on another post .. Spack has bounced back from situations like this before. We'll see how we bounce back from here .. not feeling as confident as 2 weeks ago about our progress, but not ruling us out of anything yet.

POD Knows
October 8th, 2017, 07:30 PM
I've thought we were 10-15 until now. Now thinking 15-20 until we see another week or 2. It's just one game. NAU played out of their minds on defense and we sucked - they played fast and loose. Many good teams have played a bad game, and many more will. As I said on another post .. Spack has bounced back from situations like this before. We'll see how we bounce back from here .. not feeling as confident as 2 weeks ago about our progress, but not ruling us out of anything yet.Yea, I had you at 15 in my poll this morning.

Bisonator
October 9th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Hey bunny fans WTH is wrong with Goedert this year? 1 TD thru 5 games?? Little gronk banged up? I haven't seen all of your games so just curious.

neverobeyed
October 9th, 2017, 10:15 AM

It's the grain of truth that makes this funny. And infuriating.

Farley will Farley the game. NGTH. He will put in a "dual-threat" QB who would fall out of a boat and not hit water, but since he can "run" Farley will find a way to screw with the gameplan and Farley things up.

Farley things up real good.

I am beginning to wonder if Harris is charging for parking at UNI games this season as a way to raise the money needed to buy out the contract. Because it won't come from attendance figures.

dewey
October 9th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Like I said in another thread I dropped Illinois State hard in my poll. Nothing about their schedule/ results (see attached) says they are a top team IMHO.

The close game against Indiana State and the big loss to Northern Arizona says a lot to me.

Now if they beat some top MVFC teams then it changes again.

Dewey https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171009/58e80747262e899b60f8a068216945b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CappinHard
October 9th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Hey bunny fans WTH is wrong with Goedert this year? 1 TD thru 5 games?? Little gronk banged up? I haven't seen all of your games so just curious.

Yes, he has been a bit banged up. Sounds like the injuries haven't been serious enough to keep him out of games, but 3 of the 5 games we have played he wasn't needed so they didn't play him much. Against Montana State he had 11 catches for 132 yards and against Youngstown he had 3 catches for 58 yards in a game where we only had 15 minutes on offense (and an early fumble as he was close to the end zone, which really set the tone for the game). I'm thinking that as we get into the heart of the MVFC games, he'll be productive.

Thumper 76
October 9th, 2017, 01:09 PM

Yes, he has been a bit banged up. Sounds like the injuries haven't been serious enough to keep him out of games, but 3 of the 5 games we have played he wasn't needed so they didn't play him much. Against Montana State he had 11 catches for 132 yards and against Youngstown he had 3 catches for 58 yards in a game where we only had 15 minutes on offense (and an early fumble as he was close to the end zone, which really set the tone for the game). I'm thinking that as we get into the heart of the MVFC games, he'll be productive.

This. Though Jakes production has been down compared to recent years as well. TC has been doing better at spreading the ball around and hasn’t been hitting on the deep ball quite yet. But both have been banged up as well.

ST_Lawson
October 9th, 2017, 03:22 PM
MVFC Week 6 in Review: http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-week-6-in-review/

CappinHard
October 10th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Week 6 lines:

SDSU -11.5 vs. UNI (Seems high to me, I think a line around 5 or 6 is more appropriate)
USD -27 vs. ISUb (Until ISUb shows any signs of life, they will probably see spreads like this throughout)
ISUr -4 @ SIU (this one surprised me a bit, but after ISUr's poor showing I can understand it, I think ISUr bounces back big in this one)
NDSU -6 @ YSU (Gotta give NDSU respect, but it will be interesting to see how they play against their first real competition)
WIU -27.5 vs. MSU (See comment about ISUb)

POD Knows
October 10th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Week 6 lines:

SDSU -11.5 vs. UNI (Seems high to me, I think a line around 5 or 6 is more appropriate)
USD -27 vs. ISUb (Until ISUb shows any signs of life, they will probably see spreads like this throughout)
ISUr -4 @ SIU (this one surprised me a bit, but after ISUr's poor showing I can understand it, I think ISUr bounces back big in this one)
NDSU -6 @ YSU (Gotta give NDSU respect, but it will be interesting to see how they play against their first real competition)
WIU -27.5 vs. MSU (See comment about ISUb)NDSU beat a top 10 team on the road but yea, this will be a tougher game.

CappinHard
October 10th, 2017, 10:06 AM
NDSU beat a top 10 team on the road but yea, this will be a tougher game.

I figured I would get a comment on that. Yes, they were top 10, but EWU gets a lot of credit for their past success. I think we can all agree they aren't near as good as they have been. I don't know if they even have a quality win yet... The Big Sky is down this year as a whole.

Redbird 4th & short
October 10th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Like I said in another thread I dropped Illinois State hard in my poll. Nothing about their schedule/ results (see attached) says they are a top team IMHO.

The close game against Indiana State and the big loss to Northern Arizona says a lot to me.

Now if they beat some top MVFC teams then it changes again.

Dewey https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171009/58e80747262e899b60f8a068216945b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
We destroyed EIU (4-2) on road, worse than NIU did at home .. 7 of their 13 points was blocked punt for TD. We beat MoST on road as easily as NDSU did at home, though we put game in ice in Q4. Against InSU, we were up 23-0 at half, despite no run game, and despite leaving 20+ points on field .. not exaggerating ... then came out complacent after half, played poorly in Q3 before putting game on ice in Q4, like Spack always does with a lead.

And we're doing this with 4.5 lost OL starters from a year ago and 2 more injured OL starters this year - so we are still moving guys around finding right group. Plus we're finding out our WR crew is not as strong as we had hoped. Not making excuses, just telling it like it is. Said all along being a good versus great team will depend on our OL development.

That said, I would drop us into 15-20 range. But keep any eye on NAU .. they are climbing in objective ranking systems. This loss may not look as bad 6 weeks from now. but we need to go 3-3 the rest of way to get to 7-4. From how it looks now, that means beating SIU, then probably WIU at home, then need to pick off just 1 other of the top 4 MVFC juggernaut teams. Do that, we are 7-4 and 5-3 in conference .. playoff lock.

Again, Spack has recovered from low points in season before .. most teams lay an egg during regular season. We'll see how it goes from here with our OL.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Sounds like the Redbirds Will be lucky to win another game

Sycamore62
October 10th, 2017, 02:08 PM
We destroyed EIU (4-2) on road, worse than NIU did at home .. 7 of their 13 points was blocked punt for TD. We beat MoST on road as easily as NDSU did at home, though we put game in ice in Q4. Against InSU, we were up 23-0 at half, despite no run game, and despite leaving 20+ points on field .. not exaggerating ... then came out complacent after half, played poorly in Q3 before putting game on ice in Q4, like Spack always does with a lead.

And we're doing this with 4.5 lost OL starters from a year ago and 2 more injured OL starters this year - so we are still moving guys around finding right group. Plus we're finding out our WR crew is not as strong as we had hoped. Not making excuses, just telling it like it is. Said all along being a good versus great team will depend on our OL development.

That said, I would drop us into 15-20 range. But keep any eye on NAU .. they are climbing in objective ranking systems. This loss may not look as bad 6 weeks from now. but we need to go 3-3 the rest of way to get to 7-4. From how it looks now, that means beating SIU, then probably WIU at home, then need to pick off just 1 other of the top 4 MVFC juggernaut teams. Do that, we are 7-4 and 5-3 in conference .. playoff lock.

Again, Spack has recovered from low points in season before .. most teams lay an egg during regular season. We'll see how it goes from here with our OL.

I hadn't considered ISUr as a team that wouldnt make the playoffs but I think you just talked me into it.

Thumper 76
October 10th, 2017, 02:47 PM
NDSU beat a top 10 team on the road but yea, this will be a tougher game.

Come on man don’t be trying to pull a Patriot League move and count a win vs a bad team as what their overinflated ranking was xlolx

POD Knows
October 10th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Come on man don’t be trying to pull a Patriot League move and count a win vs a bad team as what their overinflated ranking was xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkEWU is going to win the BSC, they are a national powerhouse, although I think UND is going to make a run, they are a sleeping giant. Although, the Griz have a storied past on their side, they could make a run. How about NAU, knocking off national power ISUr, UC Davis is on the way up. ****, who am I kidding, they all suck balls.

Sycamore62
October 11th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Which MVFC schools pay full cost of attendance and are they all paying the same amount?

ST_Lawson
October 11th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Which MVFC schools pay full cost of attendance and are they all paying the same amount?

NDSU and USD, I think. SDSU might be.

Western is not.

UNIFanSince1983
October 11th, 2017, 11:27 AM
NDSU and USD, I think. SDSU might be.

Western is not.

UNI is if I remember correctly.

clenz
October 11th, 2017, 11:34 AM
UNI is if I remember correctly.
Correct.

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI

UND when they join

NDSU's writers a few weeks back went on a tear against UNI (they've done that a few times recently according to my Fargo sources) and one of the things they mentioned was UNI not doing FCOA. Which is a lie. We've had it for a couple years now. We, unlike the others, didn't feel the need to make a giant press release out of it.

Yote84
October 11th, 2017, 11:59 AM
SDSU does it on a limited basis. not all players get it. They pick and choose who and how much to give to each player.