PDA

View Full Version : MVFC 2017- Brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 20th, 2017, 08:30 PM
I'm a big Tanner fan, he plays with great technique and leverage as well.

Watching some highlights of Karcz, he blew up Volson during the spring game. Kid must be really good.

Hammerhead
August 20th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Everyone knows it is spelled with a C. :) We had the same thing at work where the net nanny blocked sites referencing Superbowls that included XXX in their Roman numerals. :(

The AGS board automatically changes his last name to ****z and that makes the link invalid.

I will try some other things and edit my original post.

I added a link to the Fargo Forum sports page and then you will have to find it from there unless someone else knows how to do it another way.

Dewey

underdawg
August 21st, 2017, 02:32 PM
Would be willing to bet that these weights are partially due to the obesity epidemic that exists in the United States.

I guess you'll find out when the Red Turds get their *sses handed to them in Saluki Stadium Oct 14--enjoy!xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 21st, 2017, 02:48 PM
I guess you'll find out when the Red Turds get their *sses handed to them in Saluki Stadium Oct 14--enjoy!xlolx

SIU needs to improve that defense. If you cannot stop anyone, wins are tough to come by.

mmiller_34
August 21st, 2017, 07:38 PM
Pretty good crowd showed up at Saluki Stadium today to watch the solar eclipse.

https://suntimesmedia.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/steinberg-082217-03_70719601.jpg?w=763

clenz
August 21st, 2017, 08:19 PM
Saluki football hasn't seen a crowd like that since that stadium opened.

cx500d
August 21st, 2017, 08:20 PM
Saluki football hasn't seen a crowd like that since that stadium opened.

How many were from NDSU?

POD Knows
August 21st, 2017, 08:24 PM
How many were from NDSU?LOL, we should have tailgated that ****er

cx500d
August 21st, 2017, 08:26 PM
LOL, we should have tailgated that ****er

Probably would have resulted in some scorched retinas

POD Knows
August 21st, 2017, 08:42 PM
Probably would have resulted in some scorched retinasNo, the sun can't penetrate bloodshot eyes.

TheKingpin28
August 21st, 2017, 08:56 PM
No, the sun can't penetrate bloodshot eyes.

Bison fans and bloodshot eyes, where have I seen this before?

GodHelpTheBears
August 21st, 2017, 08:59 PM
Our day-one enrollment set a new all-time peak - 1.2% ahead of last year.

Thank God it settled down, last year it rose by almost 4%. We literally can't keep up with that kind of growth, the state does not appropriate enough money for the university to effectively deal with that annually. Apparently there were increases in all student categories - Missourians, Illinois and JoCo...er, out of state students, your various genders, minority groupings, et al.

I for one am glad there will be more people this year drinking in the quad north of the stadium before football games, then going back to their dorms/houses once the game starts.

Oh yeah, there was some damn eclipse thing too, but I was working when it happened.

cx500d
August 21st, 2017, 09:01 PM
Our day-one enrollment set a new all-time peak - 1.2% ahead of last year.

Thank God it settled down, last year it rose by almost 4%. We literally can't keep up with that kind of growth, the state does not appropriate enough money for the university to effectively deal with that annually. Apparently there were increases in all student categories - Missourians, Illinois...er, out of state students, your various genders, minority groupings, et al.

I for one am glad there will be more people this year drinking in the quad north of the stadium before football games, then going back to their dorms/houses once the game starts.

Oh yeah, there was some damn eclipse thing too, but I was working when it happened.

Probably helped by Mizzou's continuing decline after Assistant Professor Snowflake of the Journalism department's famed call for muscle...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/us/university-of-missouri-enrollment-protests-fallout.html?mcubz=3

GodHelpTheBears
August 21st, 2017, 09:10 PM
Probably helped by Mizzou's continuing decline after Assistant Professor Snowflake of the Journalism department's famed call for muscle...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/us/university-of-missouri-enrollment-protests-fallout.html?mcubz=3

Meh, every other university in the state benefited from that in some way, even the other schools in their system like Missouri S&T.

I think we've been helped by other factors, too - the Illinois budget crisis has pushed a few students our way, steady growth in southwest Missouri, investment and growth in online courses and degree programs, budget allocations to keep tuition raises lower than at other state schools...

dewey
August 22nd, 2017, 01:04 AM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about NDSU's 2 true freshman quarterbacks and how fall camp is going for them.

http://www.inforum.com/node/4315438/

Here is a small article and video from WDAY about NDSU likely starting Redshirt Freshman Dillon Radunz at left tackle and last year's left tackle moving to left guard.

http://www.wday.com/node/4315632/

Dewey

dewey
August 22nd, 2017, 07:55 AM
Here is a Bison Media Blog update from the last day of fall camp.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/video-blog-fall-camp-2017-wraps-up/

They made mention that SDSU plans to play 10 true freshman this year. Any Jackrabbit fans out there want to provide more details on that statement?

Dewey

Bisonator
August 22nd, 2017, 08:08 AM

They made mention that SDSU plans to play 10 true freshman this year. Any Jackrabbit fans out there want to provide more details on that statement?

Dewey
xnutsx

Where and why? I didn't think they lost very many players. xconfusedx

mango433
August 22nd, 2017, 08:53 AM

Dewey

Here is a little about it. Just seems this is one of the best classes SDSU has ever brought in but depth is an issue on the d-line, where 3 guys could get their redshirts pulled

http://www.argusleader.com/story/blogs/mattzimmer/2017/08/21/sdsu-football-notes-thoughts-pulling-redshirts/586476001/

Redbird 4th & short
August 22nd, 2017, 08:55 AM
Here is a little about it. Just seems this is one of the best classes SDSU has ever brought in.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/blogs/mattzimmer/2017/08/21/sdsu-football-notes-thoughts-pulling-redshirts/586476001/

only reason to do this is if you think this year is you best chance for Natty .. load up best depth on defense and special teams. otherwise usually a bad idea to play more than a small handful of true FR.

mango433
August 22nd, 2017, 08:56 AM
only reason to do this is if you think this year is you best chance for Natty .. load up best depth on defense and special teams. otherwise usually a bad idea to play more than a small handful of true FR.

See my edit.

Redbird007
August 22nd, 2017, 09:25 AM

Should be a good game but I like ISU's chances of dropping terds all over the salukis. I am thinking about attending this game with the wife as I need someone to travel with from Chicago. You up for a bet and maybe some cocktails before or after the game if you are attending?

clenz
August 22nd, 2017, 09:40 AM
This.

Thumper, IBY, BF02 and I were texting about this last night. As I said this is indicative of a small handful of things - almost none of which reflect good on the staff.

1. No depth was developed at positions over the previous years. That is a poor reflection of coaching, recruiting and roster management.
2. Your returners, starters and non, are complacent thinking "Look at good we already are now we are older and more experienced so it should just happen again". This tends to happen with programs that don't have a massive history of success and all of a sudden just this different level of success happens. This isn't a good sign of coaches keeping players hungry. It means freshman came in and out worked your upperclassmen.
3. Your previous classes aren't real deep, or real good. This is similar to point 1, but if 10 freshman are playing it means you did a good job recruiting a starting 11, but not a ton behind it of substance.
4. You probably have 7 Jerry Rice Award candidates. I suppose this is a great thing
5. Injuries have decimated the program.

It's normal/expected that there will be a few studs that play right away, but if true freshman, even redshirt freshman, are hitting the field en masse you've got some issues. Take it from a guy who has watching his UNI program ding the bell, hard, on every single one of those points since 2009-2011. The players got complacent. The staff got complacent. Development of players slowed. Injuries decimated and already under-developing roster.

Last year UNI played a record number of underclassmen. That's a sign that the underclassmen are better than the upper class. That means either UNI recruited much better or it did a poor job recruiting/developing. With UNI it's a combo of both but look at the WRs we played last year

Jalen Rima - true freshman
Jaylin James - RS freshman
Christian Jegen - true freshman
Marcus Weymiller - sophomore
Trevor Allen - RS freshman
Daurice Fountain - junior

Yeah, they are really good. Best group of WRs UNI has had in a really long time. They shouldn't have had to play outside of Jalen Rima last year. There should have been dept a head of them. There's talk of a true freshman playing at WR this year too. I'd love to see him redshirt and get him at 23 and not 18. He's such a talent I think we burn his RS and he gets like 8 catches - which isn't really worth burning it for.

It's great because as this year goes on and into the next 2 years after that group should become just unguardable (you know what I mean). In stead of letter them develop and build depth they are now leaving the program a year earlier and recruiting will have to change focuses to get depth in there a year or two sooner than needed.

Redshirting and that depth is what makes NDSU so god damn good. Their top end talent is top end. However, it's not like their mid level guys are significantly better than most other programs. The difference is they don't need to play until their RS sophomore or JR years. They get to come in, redshirt a year in the weight room and learning the game, spend a year getting part time play in games and as dept guys and then a year as a role player in game and then 2 years of being "the guy". That's the model Montana used to be able to use. It's what made UNI so great for all those years. They did that exact thing year after year after year. It was just a handful of years ago UNI set a record for most true freshman seeing the field - 4. Now that number is much higher. Not having that depth able to be built because your thrusting large numbers of true freshman onto the field will cause a peak and valley program.

Maybe Stig sees it as his one last chance. Maybe he only has a year or two he wants to keep going. He sees what his senior class is this year and wants to go out with a bang so he "doesn't care" about 3-5 years from today. He wants it right now and if it works he walks away. If it doesn't work he walks away anyway and goes "We did what we could"

Bisonator
August 22nd, 2017, 10:11 AM
Maybe Stig sees it as his one last chance. Maybe he only has a year or two he wants to keep going. He sees what his senior class is this year and wants to go out with a bang so he "doesn't care" about 3-5 years from today. He wants it right now and if it works he walks away. If it doesn't work he walks away anyway and goes "We did what we could"
That's what it seems like to me.

Redbird 4th & short
August 22nd, 2017, 10:23 AM
Coprich true FR year stats in 2012:

- 15 carries for 70 rush yards
- 11 kick returns for 253 yards

Maybe it's just me .. but i would have preferred a 3rd consecutive year with 2,000 rush yards in 2016.

p.s. I think Spack promised Coprich he would play him as true FR to get him to commit

clenz
August 22nd, 2017, 10:26 AM
Coprich true FR year stats in 2012:

- 15 carries for 70 rush yards
- 11 kick returns for 253 yards

Maybe it's just me .. but i would have preferred a 3rd consecutive year with 2,000 rush yards in 2016.

p.s. I think Spack promised Coprich he would play him as true FR to get him to commit
Wouldn't shock me. That happens a lot in basketball - UNI does this - much less so in the FCS but it happen.

However, there is almost zero cases of a kid being better/helping the program more at 18 than 23

Redbird 4th & short
August 22nd, 2017, 10:33 AM
Wouldn't shock me. That happens a lot in basketball - UNI does this - much less so in the FCS but it happen.

However, there is almost zero cases of a kid being better/helping the program more at 18 than 23

obviously in agreement. basketball is different due to less physical gaps than football.

Only argument that favors playing SOME true FR is if they can help this year at position you are weak in, and fact that FCS schools have 20 less schollies .. so 4 1/2 or 5 year schollies limit the FCS school more than straight 4 years.

In theory, if FCS school A redshirts every player and FCS school B redshirts zero players .. school B has 15-20 schollies free up sooner. But again, 1st year player contgribution vs 5th year player .. no contest.

Professor Chaos
August 22nd, 2017, 11:00 AM
That's what it seems like to me.
I think it's reasonable to say Bohl did something similar in 2013 for NDSU. I can think of 4 guys off the top of my head who had their redshirts pulled only to play a special teams only role or very limited spot duty and usually only when the game got out of hand. LB DeLuca, LB Gee-Tucker, DE Ambrosius, and RB Morlock. When you think about how historically good (and large) the junior and senior classes where on that 2013 NDSU team it seems silly to me that there were 4 redshirts pulled. In the end it was unnecessary because I'd bet anything that they would've been just as dominant in 2013 had they not pulled any of those redshirts.

This year is when it comes back to bite NDSU since if you added Gee-Tucker and Ambrosius to that defense you have an even more dominant unit. Similar, but to a lesser extent, of adding the versatility that Morlock had back on offense this year. But it's safe to say in the fall of 2013 Bohl didn't have an ounce of thought about the well-being of the 2017 team.

Is Stig doing the same this year? Hard to say unless you're in the coach's meeting rooms but its definitely possible and he wouldn't be the first coach to do it.

clenz
August 22nd, 2017, 11:04 AM
obviously in agreement. basketball is different due to less physical gaps than football.

Only argument that favors playing SOME true FR is if they can help this year at position you are weak in, and fact that FCS schools have 20 less schollies .. so 4 1/2 or 5 year schollies limit the FCS school more than straight 4 years.

In theory, if FCS school A redshirts every player and FCS school B redshirts zero players .. school B has 15-20 schollies free up sooner. But again, 1st year player contgribution vs 5th year player .. no contest.
They don't have them free up sooner. That's a fools argument that I had with the PL guys a few years back when talking about redshirting.

Let's say you sign, for easy math, 25 people every year. You red-shirt 20 every year. 20 scholarships open up every year. Technically, to the very letter of the argument, you are right. Those 20 scholarships don't open for an extra year. However, it's not as though those 20 scholarships are gone completely for that year. The group of seniors that was redshirted graduating leaves those scholarships open. It's literally the exact same cycle as not redshirting. The only time that is an actual thing would be the first year or two of redshirting players. After that it has evened out.

When you end up mixing/match large numbers of true freshman is when you start getting unbalanced classes. This is a much larger issue in basketball - see UNI's progression of an off year, followed by a good year followed by 2 really good years. Jake had to play the number game a few years back and it hasn't recovered.

Professor Chaos
August 22nd, 2017, 01:08 PM
Hey look! It's this year's version of Jack Attack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yxObjfTv1c

I must be ADD or not a great cinematic mind because I thought they could've gotten just as much out of that in 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes. Still very "corny".

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2017, 01:34 PM

I must be ADD or not a great cinematic mind because I thought they could've gotten just as much out of that in 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes. Still very "corny".

Well it was sponsored by the SD corn counsel I believe.

I thought they did this one last year as well. And it's nowhere near the awesome that is Jack Attack xcoffeex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNIFanSince1983
August 22nd, 2017, 01:36 PM

Wasn't anywhere near as bad as Jack Attack.

dewey
August 22nd, 2017, 02:04 PM
This.

Thumper, IBY, BF02 and I were texting about this last night. As I said this is indicative of a small handful of things - almost none of which reflect good on the staff.

1. No depth was developed at positions over the previous years. That is a poor reflection of coaching, recruiting and roster management.
2. Your returners, starters and non, are complacent thinking "Look at good we already are now we are older and more experienced so it should just happen again". This tends to happen with programs that don't have a massive history of success and all of a sudden just this different level of success happens. This isn't a good sign of coaches keeping players hungry. It means freshman came in and out worked your upperclassmen.
3. Your previous classes aren't real deep, or real good. This is similar to point 1, but if 10 freshman are playing it means you did a good job recruiting a starting 11, but not a ton behind it of substance.
4. You probably have 7 Jerry Rice Award candidates. I suppose this is a great thing
5. Injuries have decimated the program.

It's normal/expected that there will be a few studs that play right away, but if true freshman, even redshirt freshman, are hitting the field en masse you've got some issues. Take it from a guy who has watching his UNI program ding the bell, hard, on every single one of those points since 2009-2011. The players got complacent. The staff got complacent. Development of players slowed. Injuries decimated and already under-developing roster.

Last year UNI played a record number of underclassmen. That's a sign that the underclassmen are better than the upper class. That means either UNI recruited much better or it did a poor job recruiting/developing. With UNI it's a combo of both but look at the WRs we played last year

Jalen Rima - true freshman
Jaylin James - RS freshman
Christian Jegen - true freshman
Marcus Weymiller - sophomore
Trevor Allen - RS freshman
Daurice Fountain - junior

Yeah, they are really good. Best group of WRs UNI has had in a really long time. They shouldn't have had to play outside of Jalen Rima last year. There should have been dept a head of them. There's talk of a true freshman playing at WR this year too. I'd love to see him redshirt and get him at 23 and not 18. He's such a talent I think we burn his RS and he gets like 8 catches - which isn't really worth burning it for.

It's great because as this year goes on and into the next 2 years after that group should become just unguardable (you know what I mean). In stead of letter them develop and build depth they are now leaving the program a year earlier and recruiting will have to change focuses to get depth in there a year or two sooner than needed.

Redshirting and that depth is what makes NDSU so god damn good. Their top end talent is top end. However, it's not like their mid level guys are significantly better than most other programs. The difference is they don't need to play until their RS sophomore or JR years. They get to come in, redshirt a year in the weight room and learning the game, spend a year getting part time play in games and as dept guys and then a year as a role player in game and then 2 years of being "the guy". That's the model Montana used to be able to use. It's what made UNI so great for all those years. They did that exact thing year after year after year. It was just a handful of years ago UNI set a record for most true freshman seeing the field - 4. Now that number is much higher. Not having that depth able to be built because your thrusting large numbers of true freshman onto the field will cause a peak and valley program.

The 2016 NDSU class redshirted everyone and it sounds like all of the 2017 (minus maybe a DE due to an injury to Greg Menard) class will be redshirted. The Bison Media Blog guys said NDSU has only had one other class where the entire class was redshirted in the last 11 years or so.

Now is it because you don't need them because you have great depth then that is good news but it could also be they aren't really good.

Certainly redshirting a player will allow the team to have that player for arguably their best year (5th year) versus their worst year (true freshman). Seems like a very easy argument comparing a players 5th year (another year of getting bigger, stronger, faster and getting better with the playbook) vs the players true freshman year. Of course if they are really good and they will help your team win (define help...to me it is more than special teams) and then it may be worth it.

Dewey

BisonTru
August 22nd, 2017, 02:34 PM
Wasn't anywhere near as bad as Jack Attack.

"as good" xthumbsupx

Bison56
August 22nd, 2017, 02:35 PM

My overall review of the film. It was a real snoozer, way too long, and absolutely no excitement. It should have been shortened up, and went into some fast moving highlights at the end.
Its a 2 thumbs down for me.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2017, 02:43 PM
"as good" xthumbsupx

Tru gets it

mango433
August 22nd, 2017, 03:48 PM

Yeah, that's definitely last year.

CappinHard
August 22nd, 2017, 03:49 PM
this is indicative of a small handful of things - almost none of which reflect good on the staff.

Maybe I'm looking at it through blue and yellow colored glasses, but here are my thoughts.

1. Depth is a big deal, we lost a lot of depth at LB and DL, especially DT, due to some graduation and some injuries. If you have to pull some red shirts to add depth in a year where we have a legit shot at the natty, so be it. IF doing this proves to be the extra help that the team needed to put them over the top, the risk will definitely be worth the reward.
2. What if the guys coming in are legitimately better than the #2s or even starters ahead of them? Do you still hold them back?
3. Yes, doing this has the potential to leave your cupboards a little more bare than usual in future years, but it also gives you the ability to use a red shirt for an injury down the road (see Nick DeLuca).
4. Maybe the facility upgrades and recent success has brought in a level of talent that SDSU hasn't normally seen in the past, and eventually we will get back to a normal number of red shirts being pulled, but maybe there's a normalization there too.

Redbird 4th & short
August 22nd, 2017, 04:17 PM
They don't have them free up sooner. That's a fools argument that I had with the PL guys a few years back when talking about redshirting.

Let's say you sign, for easy math, 25 people every year. You red-shirt 20 every year. 20 scholarships open up every year. Technically, to the very letter of the argument, you are right. Those 20 scholarships don't open for an extra year. However, it's not as though those 20 scholarships are gone completely for that year. The group of seniors that was redshirted graduating leaves those scholarships open. It's literally the exact same cycle as not redshirting. The only time that is an actual thing would be the first year or two of redshirting players. After that it has evened out.

When you end up mixing/match large numbers of true freshman is when you start getting unbalanced classes. This is a much larger issue in basketball - see UNI's progression of an off year, followed by a good year followed by 2 really good years. Jake had to play the number game a few years back and it hasn't recovered.
My point is mathematical only and easiest to explain in the extremes. Assume FCS 65 total schollies available and there is no attrition or half schollies - using my teams A and B from earlier post:

FCS school B redshirts no one - so for simplicity sake, spread the 65 schollies evenly across the 4 classes fur 2017 season:

FR - 17 .. all 17 free up for 2021 season
SO - 16
JR - 16
SR - 16

FCS school A redshirts every FR - so you now have to spread 65 schollies to each of the 5 classes

FR - 13 .. only 13 available in theory, and these 13 don't free up again until 2022 season
FR RS - 13
SO RS - 13
JR RS - 13
SR RS - 13

So it is question of how many years you are spreading those 65 schollies over .. fractionally it is somewhere between 4 and 5 depending on ho wmuch each school redshorts their FR class .. and then of course attrition, transfers etc.

Now reality is that most programs have attrition that frees up more schollies for either FR or transfers (Juco or 4-year). But in the extreme comparison, you have more schollies if you redshirt no one.

But it is a foolish arguement in the extreme .. so just making point mathematically, there are more schollies freed up for other recruits by not redshirting all players. But it better be the exception where you need that player now.

p.s. in some cases, you might decide the true FR isn't working out or whatever reason, and then you don't redshirt him. Sends a message and player may leaves. But even if he stays, he doesn't use up a 5th year .. so a schollie frees up one year earlier than it would have.

Yote 53
August 22nd, 2017, 04:20 PM
I'll sum this up, SDSU is overrated and is set up to magnificently underachieve. Pulling 10 redshirts? Holy crap. And look at how many of them are on the defensive line, that is not a position group you want ot be undermanned if you plan on being successful in this conference. I can see doing something like this at a program like USD where Nielson has a rebuild in progress and is bringing in his own guys, but at SDSU? Stig has been there forever. There is no reason to have to pull so many redshirts and to have to rely on so many game minutes out of young players in a program that should be in reload mode. I see this as a big weakness and a harbinger of bad things for this season.

Redbird 4th & short
August 22nd, 2017, 04:26 PM
Maybe I'm looking at it through blue and yellow colored glasses, but here are my thoughts.

1. Depth is a big deal, we lost a lot of depth at LB and DL, especially DT, due to some graduation and some injuries. If you have to pull some red shirts to add depth in a year where we have a legit shot at the natty, so be it. IF doing this proves to be the extra help that the team needed to put them over the top, the risk will definitely be worth the reward.
2. What if the guys coming in are legitimately better than the #2s or even starters ahead of them? Do you still hold them back?
3. Yes, doing this has the potential to leave your cupboards a little more bare than usual in future years, but it also gives you the ability to use a red shirt for an injury down the road (see Nick DeLuca).
4. Maybe the facility upgrades and recent success has brought in a level of talent that SDSU hasn't normally seen in the past, and eventually we will get back to a normal number of red shirts being pulled, but maybe there's a normalization there too.

if I'm SDSU coach, only reason i do it is combination of:

1. Now is best chance for Natty with this offense
2. I have limited depth on defense and special teams.
3. I have much stronger true FR class than RS FR class to tap into.

CappinHard
August 22nd, 2017, 05:15 PM
Aaaand maybe they're pulling a couple extra red shirts because they just suspended last year's starting guard (might have been 2nd string this year), and a 2nd team Safety. Both gone for the first 6 games. Reason for suspension not disclosed. xbawlingx

cx500d
August 22nd, 2017, 05:42 PM
Aaaand maybe they're pulling a couple extra red shirts because they just suspended last year's starting guard (might have been 2nd string this year), and a 2nd team Safety. Both gone for the first 6 games. Reason for suspension not disclosed. xbawlingx

Probably got busted in the sheep barn for the third time....

BisonTru
August 22nd, 2017, 05:48 PM

That would make him a captain.

GodHelpTheBears
August 22nd, 2017, 06:04 PM
http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2017/08/22/s-n/400222001/

The Bear head turns 20. It is by far our best logo - what came before was painfully generic. Unfortunately, it's hard to make it look good on a maroon background, so we have to resort to white and black helmets.

Also worth noting the last sentence of the article. The university would rather you remember things that happened 15-20 years ago than realize we have been straight garbage in sports that matter in the 21st century. It's probably also why the News-Leader publishes puff piece crap like this instead of incisive, informative articles concerning our university and our athletic department, because the university would just freeze the paper out if they ever built up the nerve to ask those questions.

cx500d
August 22nd, 2017, 06:34 PM
That would make him a captain.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BisonTru again.

goyotes
August 22nd, 2017, 06:35 PM

What happens in the corn field stays in the corn field.

BisonTru
August 22nd, 2017, 06:40 PM
What happens in the corn field stays in the corn field.

The state motto. xlolx

CappinHard
August 22nd, 2017, 06:49 PM
Pulling 10 redshirts? Holy crap. And look at how many of them are on the defensive line, that is not a position group you want ot be undermanned if you plan on being successful in this conference.

You're right, it's not a position group that you want to be undermanned if you plan on being successful... Which is precisely the reason why the number of redshirts being pulled is so high.

Just stop, you're trying too hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yptXkLglKkA&app=desktop

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2017, 07:34 PM
Probably an easy decision for the Jack coaches to pull shirts on the DL. If your shorthanded true freshman need to play.

Yotes21
August 22nd, 2017, 08:15 PM
Probably an easy decision for the Jack coaches to pull shirts on the DL. If your shorthanded true freshman need to play.

Agreed. DL is the hardest group to become deep at IMO. Yotes know as well that thin DL depth can kill you. We've had some injuries as well and will probably have to rely on some young guys. You will find out if a player is legit pretty early if he has to play as a true freshman. Having a Sr leader and having 3 guys who can step in and know all of the schemes and plays is a big deal. This is why NDSU has been good year in and year out.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2017, 08:41 PM
I'll sum this up, SDSU is overrated and is set up to magnificently underachieve. Pulling 10 redshirts? Holy crap. And look at how many of them are on the defensive line, that is not a position group you want ot be undermanned if you plan on being successful in this conference. I can see doing something like this at a program like USD where Nielson has a rebuild in progress and is bringing in his own guys, but at SDSU? Stig has been there forever. There is no reason to have to pull so many redshirts and to have to rely on so many game minutes out of young players in a program that should be in reload mode. I see this as a big weakness and a harbinger of bad things for this season.
It's possible. Realistically when you lose two guys on the inside to graduation and then lose another to injury, in one position group, most teams will be thin there. The first team guys should be good. It's the depth issue. Hopefully they stay healthy. We'll see. SDSU has the offense to win shootouts against anyone.

And the overrated thing is laughable. It's just USeD fans praying that SDSU falls because their own team has been garbage since they got in a real conference.

Pretty much nails it.

Professor Chaos
August 22nd, 2017, 08:56 PM
It's also damn hard to establish depth at the FCS level at every position with only 63 scholarships while redshirting everyone. You need to rely on a decent amount of guys contributing on partial scholarships and you need to rely on walk-ons. The main reason NDSU has been able to redshirt the entire last two classes is because the walk-on program is booming right now. They've gotten 10+ recruited walk-ons the last few years. It gives you the ability to take normal attrition and injuries yet still field solid depth without needing true freshman to contribute. Not every school has that luxury.

CappinHard
August 23rd, 2017, 12:43 AM
Not every school has that luxury.

This is why I talked about how going all in could be very much worth it if it produces a championship. Future recruiting becomes so much easier. If recruited kids are going to walk on, it's going to be on a team that wins championships.

Yote 53
August 23rd, 2017, 09:23 AM
Throwing green-eared true freshman in on the D-line is not going to build depth at that position. It's a weakness, plain and simple. You can get away with this at the skill positions or the defensive backfield, but not so much on the line. It's a position that requires physical maturity, size, & strength. True freshman simply don't have that, and if they are freakish enough to have it they would be at an FBS school or could easily leave an FCS school after one season to pursue better options (see Andrew Van Ginkle's freshman year at USD). Also, it's hard enough to find one true freshman that can step in and contribute right away on the d-line but multiple players? Good luck with that.

SDSU has some great top end players, but I believe there is a drop off after that and the lack of depth is going to cost them this year. The MVFC conference schedule is a war of attrition as much as it is anything else. I've witnessed that year after year at USD. I've also seen teams like NDSU have some key injuries, the difference between them and USD is they had the depth to overcome injuries, USD has not. I don't think SDSU will either.

CappinHard
August 23rd, 2017, 09:34 AM
Throwing green-eared true freshman in on the D-line is not going to build depth at that position. It's a weakness, plain and simple. You can get away with this at the skill positions or the defensive backfield, but not so much on the line. It's a position that requires physical maturity, size, & strength. True freshman simply don't have that, and if they are freakish enough to have it they would be at an FBS school or could easily leave an FCS school after one season to pursue better options (see Andrew Van Ginkle's freshman year at USD). Also, it's hard enough to find one true freshman that can step in and contribute right away on the d-line but multiple players? Good luck with that.

SDSU has some great top end players, but I believe there is a drop off after that and the lack of depth is going to cost them this year. The MVFC conference schedule is a war of attrition as much as it is anything else. I've witnessed that year after year at USD. I've also seen teams like NDSU have some key injuries, the difference between them and USD is they had the depth to overcome injuries, USD has not. I don't think SDSU will either.

The hate for SDSU is strong in this one. Post saved to bring up on the evening of 11/18.

Yote 53
August 23rd, 2017, 10:15 AM
The hate for SDSU is strong in this one. Post saved to bring up on the evening of 11/18.

Hate or Truth? Go ahead and spin it to me that this is a good thing for the Jacks.

abc123
August 23rd, 2017, 10:43 AM
It's also damn hard to establish depth at the FCS level at every position with only 63 scholarships while redshirting everyone. You need to rely on a decent amount of guys contributing on partial scholarships and you need to rely on walk-ons. The main reason NDSU has been able to redshirt the entire last two classes is because the walk-on program is booming right now. They've gotten 10+ recruited walk-ons the last few years. It gives you the ability to take normal attrition and injuries yet still field solid depth without needing true freshman to contribute. Not every school has that luxury.
True to a point but I think you'd be surprised at how many guys are in that 75-80% range. From what I have seen, most teams are a lot closer to at least 80 guys than they are 63 on scholarship. Add in FCOA and you can sell a recruit that they are getting the financial equivalent of a full scholarship while only being counted around 85% or so depending on how the math works out.

Professor Chaos
August 23rd, 2017, 10:56 AM
True to a point but I think you'd be surprised at how many guys are in that 75-80% range. From what I have seen, most teams are a lot closer to at least 80 guys than they are 63 on scholarship. Add in FCOA and you can sell a recruit that they are getting the financial equivalent of a full scholarship while only being counted around 85% or so depending on how the math works out.
Oh yeah, I'm sure that's the case. You can split those 63 scholarships up amongst 85 players and I bet most of the elite FCS teams are pretty close to that 85 player limit. I'd also guess that some schools rely more on full rides than others in the recruiting cycle and that can lead to redshirts getting pulled because they don't have as many scholarship players.

jacksfan29
August 23rd, 2017, 02:47 PM

Who knew the MVFC was such a difficult league. Heck, SDSU has never had any success in it...

Oh right, that's USD who have never had success. SDSU will be fine. Stig hasn't pulled anything yet, he has informed some that they may have their redshirt pulled. We have played true freshmen before, and had a lot of success doing so. Keep hoping for our drop off. Or maybe, just maybe, hope for USD to finally play .500 in league play.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2017, 06:01 PM
Hate or Truth? Go ahead and spin it to me that this is a good thing for the Jacks.

If those Jacks FR are ready to play and they provide added depth then they should get their shirts pulled.

Is SDSU in dire straits? No, but if a position is thin from graduation, injuries or guys just leave then coaches will pull shirts for depth.

DL is a tough position. More kids rotating in will keep them from not wearing down come playoffs.....im sure that is part of it also.

ST_Lawson
August 23rd, 2017, 09:13 PM
Would I like SDSU to be thin on the line?....sure...wouldn't hurt our chances of a win.
Do I think it's actually the case?....I'll believe it when I see it.

dewey
August 23rd, 2017, 10:27 PM
Here is an article about NDSU senior tight end, Jeff Illies, and how he is recovering from a knee injury and hopes to be back for the Eastern Washington game.

http://www.inforum.com/node/4316690/

Dewey

dewey
August 24th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Yo Thumper, are you doing the MVFC picks this year again?

Dewey

Redbird 4th & short
August 24th, 2017, 07:53 AM
If those Jacks FR are ready to play and they provide added depth then they should get their shirts pulled.

Is SDSU in dire straits? No, but if a position is thin from graduation, injuries or guys just leave then coaches will pull shirts for depth.

DL is a tough position. More kids rotating in will keep them from not wearing down come playoffs.....im sure that is part of it also.
this makes most sense .. true FR, especially the DL grind, are not likely to last physical and mental pressure of full season where they hope to compete for Natty. But still not sure why they need to pull 8-9 redshirts, if DL is only real concern. Maybe it is simply a motivational thing to keep the true FR kids ready just in case .. make them compete a little harder knowing they might get reps .. just in case.

p.s. and notion that this smacks of desperation or some weakness in program depth is ridiculous .. per my other post, SDSU has been top 8 for 5 years, this fall will be 6th straight and possibly best year ... they know how to and are built to reload.

mango433
August 24th, 2017, 08:07 AM

Get out of here with this nonsense. SDSU is overrated and going to fail miserably this year and USD is about to take over the league

Bisonator
August 24th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Here is an article about NDSU senior tight end, Jeff Illies, and how he is recovering from a knee injury and hopes to be back for the Eastern Washington game.

http://www.inforum.com/node/4316690/

Dewey
Dewey, no disrespect intended but I don't think this board needs to see every NDSU article from the foolum. I'm sure most Bison fans know where to find them.

Yote 53
August 24th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Get out of here with this nonsense. SDSU is overrated and going to fail miserably this year and USD is about to take over the league

Finally, somebody with some common sense. Thank you!

Bison56
August 24th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Dewey, no disrespect intended but I don't think this board needs to see every NDSU article from the foolum. I'm sure most Bison fans know where to find them.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I don't think you are a very big fan of the Fargo fish wrap.

mango433
August 24th, 2017, 09:41 AM
I may be going out on a limb here, but I don't think you are a very big fan of the Fargo fish wrap.

Is anyone?

Bison56
August 24th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Is anyone?

Not that I am aware of. I like all the info Dewey shares, but when its from the Forum I usually skip it. I don't want to give them any clicks. xthumbsupx

Bisonator
August 24th, 2017, 09:46 AM
I may be going out on a limb here, but I don't think you are a very big fan of the Fargo fish wrap. Strong limb.xthumbsupx

Is anyone? Exactly.:)

Redbird 4th & short
August 24th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Finally, somebody with some common sense. Thank you!

realize you guys are just having some fun .. but for all the talk about SDSU defense and pulling redshirts, I think the USD people are living in some very fragile glass houses come this falll .. that is, as it relates to defense. Your coaches might want to pull a few redshirts on defense yourselves .. or your nice offense will be watching most of the game from sidelines .. great seats though !!! :D

Bison56
August 24th, 2017, 09:59 AM
realize you guys are just having some fun .. but for all the talk about SDSU defense and pulling redshirts, I think the USD people are living in some very fragile glass houses come this falll .. that is, as it relates to defense. Your coaches might want to pull a few redshirts on defense yourselves .. or your nice offense will be watching most of the game from sidelines .. great seats though !!! :D

http://www.jennifergibson.ca/resources/CaptainPicard.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNg8nekPDVAhVU9GMKHRsqAtAQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurogamer.net%2Fforum%2Fthrea d%2F288128%3Fstart%3D90&psig=AFQjCNGGyMZnN6EvtixIp2BYLfuEKpXouQ&ust=1503673034222279)

BNATION
August 24th, 2017, 10:04 AM
What are the odds EWU pulls one out against you guys? I have a gambling problem disclaimer.....

Redbird 4th & short
August 24th, 2017, 10:08 AM
http://www.jennifergibson.ca/resources/CaptainPicard.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNg8nekPDVAhVU9GMKHRsqAtAQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurogamer.net%2Fforum%2Fthrea d%2F288128%3Fstart%3D90&psig=AFQjCNGGyMZnN6EvtixIp2BYLfuEKpXouQ&ust=1503673034222279)

nice try .. I have way more hair

Mayville Bison
August 24th, 2017, 10:22 AM
What are the odds EWU pulls one out against you guys? I have a gambling problem disclaimer.....

After Menard got hurt and before one of their starting linemen retired, I would have said they have a better than average chance despite the new coaching staff.

Any road win in the FCS is tough. Any road win vs a ranked opponent is a great resume booster. That's why some had EWU #1 over NDSU despite the h2h result. If that game was in EWU last year, they more than likely come away with a W. I wouldn't bet against the Bison, but I could see if the lines are right why someone would in this game.

Professor Chaos
August 24th, 2017, 11:04 AM
I would never bet against my Bison but if NDSU was laying more than 7 I think it's definitely reasonable for someone else to bet on EWU.

BNATION
August 24th, 2017, 11:28 AM
One can only hope. +7 seems like a sucker bet. EWU always tough on that terrible red field.

I would never bet against my Bison but if NDSU was laying more than 7 I think it's definitely reasonable for someone else to bet on EWU.

CappinHard
August 24th, 2017, 11:32 AM

Imo, it depends on how EWU looks against Texas Tech in week 1. If they look respectable, I would think that the spread is around NDSU -4. Anything less than 3, I would bet NDSU, anything more than 7 I would look at EWU.

Thumper 76
August 24th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Yo Thumper, are you doing the MVFC picks this year again?

Dewey

I'm not sure. Leaning towards no. Maybe though.

dewey
August 24th, 2017, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure. Leaning towards no. Maybe though.

If you don't do it I can take over for you. You will have to give me the crown from last year after my epic collapsexthumbsupx

Dewey

Thundar
August 24th, 2017, 01:39 PM
One can only hope. +7 seems like a sucker bet. EWU always tough on that terrible red field.

except in the playoffs

Thumper 76
August 24th, 2017, 01:42 PM
If you don't do it I can take over for you. You will have to give me the crown from last year after my epic collapsexthumbsupx

Dewey

Works for me. I don't want to deal with the crybabys on the east coast.

Yote 53
August 24th, 2017, 03:36 PM

Word out of camp in Vermillion is that up to 9 true freshman could see action this season for USD. The difference is nobody is ranking USD in the top 5 and claiming they are a contender for a NC. Also, Nielson hasn't been at USD for over a decade and is in the middle of building his program with his guys. It's expected there will be a youth movement under those circumstances.

If you really look at it there are a lot of similarities between how USD and SDSU are constructed this season. USD is dangerous at the QB position, deep at receiver and tight end, offense should be potent. Defensively, young and (I'll say) weak up front due to inexperience. A defense that has a lot of work to do to prove itself. How much different is that than SDSU? Yet SDSU is a pre-season NC contender and USD is predicted to just maybe break through into the upper half of the conference. My prediction is that USD and SDSU have pretty similar seasons and are both sitting around the mid-pack of the conference by the time the dust settles. Both will be playoff contenders with probably only one of them getting in, probably due to the victory over the other, but neither will go on any sort of playoff run, 1 or 2 and done.

Redbird 4th & short
August 24th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Word out of camp in Vermillion is that up to 9 true freshman could see action this season for USD. The difference is nobody is ranking USD in the top 5 and claiming they are a contender for a NC. Also, Nielson hasn't been at USD for over a decade and is in the middle of building his program with his guys. It's expected there will be a youth movement under those circumstances.

If you really look at it there are a lot of similarities between how USD and SDSU are constructed this season. USD is dangerous at the QB position, deep at receiver and tight end, offense should be potent. Defensively, young and (I'll say) weak up front due to inexperience. A defense that has a lot of work to do to prove itself. How much different is that than SDSU? Yet SDSU is a pre-season NC contender and USD is predicted to just maybe break through into the upper half of the conference. My prediction is that USD and SDSU have pretty similar seasons and are both sitting around the mid-pack of the conference by the time the dust settles. Both will be playoff contenders with probably only one of them getting in, probably due to the victory over the other, but neither will go on any sort of playoff run, 1 or 2 and done.

Except SDSU was solid middle of pack defense last season and you guys were at bottom. For perspective off off vs def strength .. they got 50 more yards per game on offense and gave up 80 yards less per game on defense .. 180 yard differential per game across entire season. keeper has you guys losing slightly more starters/prodcution on both off and def. Then there's the whole record thing .. they finished 8-3, USD finished 4-7.

That all said, I have SDSU finishing somwhere 1st to 3rd - they get NDSU and us at home, so they get "tie breaker" for that reason. I have USD somewhere between 5th and 7th .. most likely 6th due to your defense not letting your offense on field enough. Your program is on favorable trend line, but your defense may keep you from moving up this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2017, 05:03 PM

The only similarities between the offenses is that they both have 11 players. SDSU has 2 legit NFL draft picks and USD might have an all-conference QB....might have one.

SDSU is a serious NC contender if you like it or not.

If USDs defense hasn't improved, they might go winless in conference.....like they have before.

cx500d
August 24th, 2017, 05:33 PM
...If you really look at it there are a lot of similarities between how USD and SDSU are constructed this season...

The main similarity I see is both teams are primarily inter-related.

jacksfan29
August 24th, 2017, 05:55 PM

Is this a wishful post or do you actually believe what you wrote? If it is the latter, I feel for you.

Thumper 76
August 24th, 2017, 06:10 PM
The only similarities between the offenses is that they both have 11 players. SDSU has 2 legit NFL draft picks and USD might have an all-conference QB....might have one.

SDSU is a serious NC contender if you like it or not.

If USDs defense hasn't improved, they might go winless in conference.....like they have before.

The wrong in his post is strong. SDSU returns almost the entirety of an offense that had three guys in the top ten for Walter Payton award voting plus a pre season AA center.

USeD fans are hoping hard that SDSU has a 7-4 season and only makes the quarters again. Then when USeD misses the playoffs but has 5 wins they will try to mock SDSU fans saying they had a better season because "expectations" or something. I've had similarly hilarious conversations with Vikings fans after a NFL season a couple years ago.

It's just hilarious the amount of varmint fans popping up all over various fan boards when the news about red shirts and the two suspensions popped. They get more execited when something bad happens for SDSU than their own season. Which should let you know just how much they are losing the battle for fans in SD and Sioux Falls. xlolx

GodHelpTheBears
August 24th, 2017, 06:21 PM
The wrong in his post is strong. SDSU returns almost the entirety of an offense that had three guys in the top ten for Walter Payton award voting plus a pre season AA center.

USeD fans are hoping hard that SDSU has a 7-4 season and only makes the quarters again. Then when USeD misses the playoffs but has 5 wins they will try to mock SDSU fans saying they had a better season because "expectations" or something. I've had similarly hilarious conversations with Vikings fans after a NFL season a couple years ago.

It's just hilarious the amount of varmint fans popping up all over various fan boards when the news about red shirts and the two suspensions popped. They get more execited when something bad happens for SDSU than their own season. Which should let you know just how much they are losing the battle for fans in SD and Sioux Falls. xlolx

It's fun to see salt spills like this. It makes me wonder what it would be like to have a rival.

Call me pessimistic but I don't think pulling these redshirts will have any effect on how our game will go xlolx

Yotes21
August 24th, 2017, 07:00 PM

One guy doesn't mean a fan base, but thanks for filling other people's mouths with words again. I just don't get how SDSU fans are always the first to call anyone out, but if there is something that is out of the ordinary like white-supremacists living near Brookings or players that got in trouble, but were then still able to play should get swept under the rug ASAP.

Thumper 76
August 24th, 2017, 08:38 PM
One guy doesn't mean a fan base, but thanks for filling other people's mouths with words again. I just don't get how SDSU fans are always the first to call anyone out, but if there is something that is out of the ordinary like white-supremacists living near Brookings or players that got in trouble, but were then still able to play should get swept under the rug ASAP.

Am I the only one who is curious as to wtf white supremacists have to do with this conversation? And I hadn't heard a word about it either.

As for the players I'm on record as saying that if they finagled the suspensions around the playoff game I am 100% pissed. SDSU should run a better program than that.

Btw it's more than one guy bucko. But you do you buttercup.

cx500d
August 24th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Am I the only one who is curious as to wtf white supremacists have to do with this conversation? And I hadn't heard a word about it either.

As for the players I'm on record as saying that if they finagled the suspensions around the playoff game I am 100% pissed. SDSU should run a better program than that.

Btw it's more than one guy bucko. But you do you buttercup.

I was thinking, due to the lack of coherency of that post, Catamountman might be back on.

TheKingpin28
August 24th, 2017, 08:56 PM
I was thinking, due to the lack of coherency of that post, Catamountman might be back on.

No, that would be chattown.

cx500d
August 24th, 2017, 08:58 PM
No, that would be chattown.

or him

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2017, 09:07 PM

What the heck is this??

mmiller_34
August 24th, 2017, 09:09 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/Lry6jqqgMf3kk/giphy.gif

cx500d
August 24th, 2017, 09:12 PM
What the heck is this??

#OnTheGrain

Schism55
August 24th, 2017, 09:17 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25912&stc=1

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2017, 09:26 PM
#OnTheGrain

#winlessinconferenceagain

LOL

Thundar
August 24th, 2017, 09:32 PM

dude

go stand in the corner....PLEASE

mmiller_34
August 24th, 2017, 09:43 PM
#winlessinconferenceagain

LOL

Using college football data warehouse, I was curious to know how many conference games USD has actually won in the past four seasons.

9 games.

In that time SDSU has won 20 conference games and NDSU has won 29.

...yet, this thought was seriously presented by a USD fan.

How much different is that than SDSU? Yet SDSU is a pre-season NC contender and USD is predicted to just maybe break through into the upper half of the conference. My prediction is that USD and SDSU have pretty similar seasons

cx500d
August 24th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Using college football data warehouse, I was curious to know how many conference games USD has actually won in the past four seasons.

9 games.

That many?

mmiller_34
August 24th, 2017, 09:50 PM
That many?

I know, I honestly had to double check before I posted.

2013 -- 3 games
2014 -- 0 games
2015 -- 3 games
2016 -- 3 games

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2017, 09:54 PM

9 games.

In that time SDSU has won 20 conference games and NDSU has won 29.

...yet, this thought was seriously presented by a USD fan.

Streveler is a decent/good QB but if you cannot stop anyone then wins will be hard to come by for USD.

NDSU ran thru the yote defense last year and it will be better this year. Hope the Bison lay down some payback for that cluster**ck two years ago.....

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2017, 09:55 PM
I know, I honestly had to double check before I posted.

2013 -- 3 games
2014 -- 0 games
2015 -- 3 games
2016 -- 3 games

They won't win 3 this year if that defense is still piss/poor.

BigGoosie13
August 24th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Streveler is a decent/good QB but if you cannot stop anyone then wins will be hard to come by for USD.

NDSU ran thru the yote defense last year and it will be better this year. Hope the Bison lay down some payback for that cluster**ck two years ago.....
Last year SDSU actively decided to run the ball, not pass, run against USD. That's how bad they were. The Jacks racked up 415 yards on the ground while out gaining the Yotes by almost 300 yards.

clenz
August 25th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Last year SDSU actively decided to run the ball, not pass, run against USD. That's how bad they were. The Jacks racked up 415 yards on the ground while out gaining the Yotes by almost 300 yards.
UNI was god awful last year on offense. I mean completely embarrassing. Worst UNI offense I've ever seen. Run the ball 57 times for over 4 yards per carry on that defense. Never really tried to pass. Never a threat to try to pass. It was straight shot gun off tackle after shot gun off tackle. Our quarterback had 25 rushing attempts for 121 yards (4.8 YPC). Our running back had 20 for 102 (5.1 ypc).

Yes, USD won by 3 as the only thing worse than UNI's offense was UNI's field goal unit. Feel free to go "WE STILL BEAT YOU AND BLAH BLAH BLAH".

The fact is that UNI had zero passing game until Dunne starting playing in week 7. UNI didn't even try to throw the ball. Literally every play was a zone read. Yet our QB and RUN still combined for 223 yards on 45 rushes (4.95555 YPC). UNI held the ball for 39 minutes. Held USD to 4-11 on third downs.

The difference in the game was the first driver of the game. Broken play for USD that Stevler took 69 yards for a score. Then in the second a broken coverage lead to a 75 yard pass for a TD. Two mistakes by the UNI defense cost the game. Those 2 plays accounted for 40% of USDs offense for the game. Over half of Stevelers rushing yards were in that one play. 45% of his passing yards were that one play.

That's how bad UNI's offense was last year. The defense had to play perfect because 2 mistakes meant that UNI would lose - and we did.

USD had 12 drives. Just 3 of them last longer than 1:55 - 2:28 for a TD in the first. 2:56 for a punt in the third and 4:27 for a ToD in the 4th.

God dammit UNI's offense was garbage last year.

Bisonator
August 25th, 2017, 09:01 AM
USD has one job this season, beat UND. Don't **** it up again!;)

CappinHard
August 25th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Can someone provide an outside perspective? I may be biased by my hate for USD, but doesn't it seem like the only time USD posters start talking is in reference to SDSU? Even when they post about themselves, they still mention SDSU. If UND fans are the same way toward NDSU, I feel for you guys. Maybe it will be a good thing for USD when UND joins... they can complain to each other about their big brothers.

GodHelpTheBears
August 25th, 2017, 10:37 AM
God dammit UNI's offense was garbage last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02-QOC9hNO4

POD Knows
August 25th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Can someone provide an outside perspective? I may be biased by my hate for USD, but doesn't it seem like the only time USD posters start talking is in reference to SDSU? Even when they post about themselves, they still mention SDSU. If UND fans are the same way toward NDSU, I feel for you guys. Maybe it will be a good thing for USD when UND joins... they can complain to each other about their big brothers.Those universities are both the flagships of their respective states, you must not have gotten that memo. xlolx

Professor Chaos
August 25th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Can someone provide an outside perspective? I may be biased by my hate for USD, but doesn't it seem like the only time USD posters start talking is in reference to SDSU? Even when they post about themselves, they still mention SDSU. If UND fans are the same way toward NDSU, I feel for you guys. Maybe it will be a good thing for USD when UND joins... they can complain to each other about their big brothers.
Has USD's school president came out and said to the local fishwrap that they'll have a better season, in football and many other sports, than SDSU will? If not, USD still hasn't topped UND in terms of little bro syndrome.

mango433
August 25th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Has USD's school president came out and said to the local fishwrap that they'll have a better season, in football and many other sports, than SDSU will? If not, USD still hasn't topped UND in terms of little bro syndrome.

I should be surprised by this but it's UND so, yeah, that sounds about right.

CappinHard
August 25th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Those universities are both the flagships of their respective states, you must not have gotten that memo. xlolx

Video equivalent of little bro USD spouting off and taking a cheap shot at big bro SDSU, then screaming and running when s**t gets real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApgrBSXnK5A

Yote 53
August 25th, 2017, 11:52 AM

It was a 7 point game, 28-21, with USD having opportunities to pull the game out in the 4th. Yeah, you guys racked up the yardage but the game was a tight one.

Yote 53
August 25th, 2017, 11:54 AM

No, you're correct. You are biased.

Yote 53
August 25th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Video equivalent of little bro USD spouting off and taking a cheap shot at big bro SDSU, then screaming and running when s**t gets real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApgrBSXnK5A

The big bro/little bro schtick is f'ing stupid.

Thumper 76
August 25th, 2017, 12:33 PM

Such a little brother thing to say xlolx

Professor Chaos
August 25th, 2017, 12:44 PM
You're right. It's more like little redheaded step-cousin.

CappinHard
August 25th, 2017, 01:04 PM

It's not schtick, it's reality, that's what makes it so good. If it really was schtick you wouldn't get so mad about it.

IBleedYellow
August 25th, 2017, 01:20 PM
UXD's have been following the XDSU's since 2004*.

That's. Fact.

*Except in that sentence, obviously.

Bison56
August 25th, 2017, 01:39 PM
UXD's have been following the XDSU's since 2004*.

That's. Fact.

*Except in that sentence, obviously.

Preach

Yote 53
August 25th, 2017, 01:42 PM
It's not schtick, it's reality, that's what makes it so good. If it really was schtick you wouldn't get so mad about it.

Reality is USD was founded first, is the first college in the Dakotas, and has twice the endowment size of SDSU. Twice. If anything, SDSU fans constantly spouting off with the "little brother" thing is what really makes you guys the little brothers. You're insecure. It's okay. You see, real big bros don't have to constantly tell everybody around them who they are. It's called quite confidence, maybe your insecure fanbase will be comfortable with who your are someday. You won't have to convince everybody else around you otherwise and maybe you'll quit hanging on NDSU's jock, like you are an equal.

Actually, this is who SDSU reminds me of...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25916&stc=1

No, you guys are not Scut Farkus, you're Grover Dill. Farkus's little hanger-on toadie. Farkus is NDSU, the bully, but we all know what Ralphie did the bully in the end. Now go tell your dad Grover, you toadie.

IBleedYellow
August 25th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Reality is USD was founded first, is the first college in the Dakotas, and has twice the endowment size of SDSU. Twice. If anything, SDSU fans constantly spouting off with the "little brother" thing is what really makes you guys the little brothers. You're insecure. It's okay. You see, real big bros don't have to constantly tell everybody around them who they are. It's called quite confidence, maybe your insecure fanbase will be comfortable with who your are someday. You won't have to convince everybody else around you otherwise and maybe you'll quit hanging on NDSU's jock, like you are an equal.

Actually, this is who SDSU reminds me of...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25916&stc=1

No, you guys are not Scut Farkus, you're Grover Dill. Farkus's little hanger-on toadie. Farkus is NDSU, the bully, but we all know what Ralphie did the bully in the end. Now go tell your dad Grover, you toadie.

Is it awesome knowing that the city of Sioux Falls chose having the state penitentiary be built in their town instead of your ****ty little college?

CappinHard
August 25th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Reality is USD was founded first, is the first college in the Dakotas, and has twice the endowment size of SDSU. Twice.

1. USD doesn't get called little brother due to the age of the institution... if you think that's a part of it, get a clue man.
2. So you have twice the endowment, yet less than half of the accomplishments to show for it. Congratulations...?

SoDakSA
August 25th, 2017, 01:53 PM

So being old is worth how many wins in the Valley this year? And I forget, does the ranking system put endowment size ahead of SOS or Victory Margin?

Yote 53
August 25th, 2017, 02:00 PM
So this is based entirely on football, nothing else, no other sports, not the school itself. Okay, gotcha.

BisonTru
August 25th, 2017, 02:03 PM
So this is based entirely on football, nothing else, no other sports, not the school itself. Okay, gotcha.

You do realize you are on an FCS football forum? xcoolx

SoDakSA
August 25th, 2017, 02:03 PM

Well...this is a football message board.

But I bet on the Track and Field message boards you guys crush

dewey
August 25th, 2017, 02:20 PM

Well actually NDSU is dominant in Summit league track and fieldxthumbsupx

Boy things will get really fun when UND (GFCC) officially joins the MVFC.

Dewey

Bisonator
August 25th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Well...this is a football message board.

Nope that would be NDSU as well.xlolx

SoDakSA
August 25th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Nope that would be NDSU as well.xlolx

That's my fault. I should have been more specific. The Pole Vaulting section is their Shangri La

Yotes21
August 25th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Such a little brother thing to say xlolx

Don't you need to get some sleep before your overnight shift at the box factory? That state degree really paying off. Hey at least your FB team has made the playoffs.

mango433
August 25th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Don't you need to get some sleep before your overnight shift at the box factory? That state degree really paying off. Hey at least your FB team has made the playoffs.

Oh man, where do you come up with these original burns? Overnight shift at the box factory? That one hurts

Yotes21
August 25th, 2017, 03:13 PM
You do realize you are on an FCS football forum? xcoolx

THIS. I should know better than to waste the time I have reading most of the drivel on here. It's like a bad car wreck, can't look away. I initially came here to have a decent discussion, but found out it's usually just bash fest like everything else on the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man, where do you come up with these original burns? Overnight shift at the box factory? That one hurts

Not copied, that is real life.

BigGoosie13
August 25th, 2017, 03:18 PM
1. USD doesn't get called little brother due to the age of the institution... if you think that's a part of it, get a clue man.
2. So you have twice the endowment, yet less than half of the accomplishments to show for it. Congratulations...?

And a law school that want's to get the hell out of dodge.

BigGoosie13
August 25th, 2017, 03:22 PM
SDSU has released their week 1 depth chart, doesn't look like any real shockers...http://www.argusleader.com/story/blogs/mattzimmer/2017/08/25/south-dakota-state-football-depth-chart-week-1/603027001/

BisonFan02
August 25th, 2017, 03:26 PM

All of you guys are peasants. xlolx

Thumper 76
August 25th, 2017, 08:37 PM

There's only three of us working on your moms box, that's hardly what I would call a factory. No need to get pissy about it.

mmiller_34
August 25th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Reality is USD was founded first, is the first college in the Dakotas, and has twice the endowment size of SDSU. Twice.

Uh oh. Did your fancy USD degree forget to teach you about Land Grant universities and how they receive their funding.

https://www.sdbor.edu/mediapubs/factbook/Documents/FY15Factbook.pdf

That link will tell you all you need to know about budgets about our schools. Page 48 will give you the total FY2015 operating budget for each institution.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2017, 08:44 PM
It was a 7 point game, 28-21, with USD having opportunities to pull the game out in the 4th. Yeah, you guys racked up the yardage but the game was a tight one.

I was at that game. USD hung in there with NDSU mistakes. Bison shot themselves in the foot many times in that game. But that is part of it.

We'll see how USD does this year on the road up here.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2017, 09:06 PM

So what is USD's record going to be since you think SDSU and USD are pretty comparable this year.

My take on USD's record:

Drake - Win

Bowling Green - Loss

UND - Toss up....but I'll call it a win for now 'cus I really do not like UND.

WIU - Loss

YSU - Loss

Ind State - Win

Ill State - Loss

SIU - Win

UNI - Loss

NDSU - Loss

SDSU - Loss

I see USD with 3 maybe 4 wins this year. So you think SDSU/USD are pretty comparable this year? So, SDSU will have the same approximate record as USD...according to your thought process, right?

My thoughts on SDSU's record:

10-1 with a loss to NDSU. Tough road games to Montana State and Youngstown with the tough games at home.

So 53, give me a run down of where SDSU will only get to 3-4 wins since you think both teams are comparable this year!!

xeyebrowxxnodx

BisonFan02
August 25th, 2017, 09:17 PM
So what is USD's record going to be since you think SDSU and USD are pretty comparable this year.

My take on USD's record:

Drake - Loss

Bowling Green - Loss

WIU - Loss

YSU - Loss

Ind State - Win

Ill State - Loss

SIU - Win

UNI - Loss

NDSU - Loss

SDSU - Loss

I see USD with 3 maybe 4 wins this year. So you think SDSU/USD are pretty comparable this year? So, SDSU will have the same approximate record as USD...according to your thought process, right?

10-1 with a loss to NDSU. Tough road games to Montana State and Youngstown with the tough games at home.

So 53, give me a run down of where SDSU will only get to 3-4 wins since you think both teams are comparable this year!!

xeyebrowxxnodx

bruh..... xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Edit: Drake is a win

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Let's go Coyote fans. Give me an answer.

ST_Lawson
August 26th, 2017, 09:51 AM
So being old is worth how many wins in the Valley this year? And I forget, does the ranking system put endowment size ahead of SOS or Victory Margin?

Damn man, if they're including this stuff in the rankings now, we're screwed.

Redbird 4th & short
August 26th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Damn man, if they're including this stuff in the rankings now, we're screwed.

ahem .. uh ... and it wasn't that long ago (pre-Spack and Hancock 2.0), I might have been arguing along side USD xeyebrowx xbawlingx

Must confess, we have that little brother syndrome with U of I .. except we've backed up that chip on our shoulder increasingly of late. But as we sit here today, 10 years older than U of I .. it is still hard to overcome our original charter and lack of professional undergrad programs compared to U of I. This fact seems to always get lost on our "FBS or bust" fair weather fans who think we should just make the jump. I get their basic point, but they think they can go from point A to point C without getting to point B first, and ignore the progress the last 7 years.

GodHelpTheBears
August 26th, 2017, 11:22 AM
ahem .. uh ... and it wasn't that long ago (pre-Spack and Hancock 2.0), I might have been arguing along side USD xeyebrowx xbawlingx

Must confess, we have that little brother syndrome with U of I .. except we've backed up that chip on our shoulder increasingly of late. But as we sit here today, 10 years older than U of I .. it is still hard to overcome our original charter and lack of professional undergrad programs compared to U of I. This fact seems to always get lost on our "FBS or bust" fair weather fans who think we should just make the jump. I get their basic point, but they think they can go from point A to point C without getting to point B first, and ignore the progress the last 7 years.

I'd hate for MSU to be an hour away from UM-C. I have to believe that sucks a lot of oxygen away for what you're trying to do. Our split is organic - Columbia is right on I-70, equidistant from Kansas City and St Louis, and far away from Ozarks population centers like Springfield and Joplin. MSU has always pulled very strongly from the Ozarks, it is not common for high school students from this part of the state to go up north. (Well, it isn't common for them to go to college at all, but MSU typically draws the most of those who do. UM-C and the University of Arkansas are, in my experience, alongside each other in terms of drawing power around here. For example, more students in my high school graduating class went to Fayetteville than Columbia.)

SoDakSA
August 26th, 2017, 12:34 PM
I'd hate for MSU to be an hour away from UM-C. I have to believe that sucks a lot of oxygen away for what you're trying to do. Our split is organic - Columbia is right on I-70, equidistant from Kansas City and St Louis, and far away from Ozarks population centers like Springfield and Joplin. MSU has always pulled very strongly from the Ozarks, it is not common for high school students from this part of the state to go up north. (Well, it isn't common for them to go to college at all, but MSU typically draws the most of those who do. UM-C and the University of Arkansas are, in my experience, alongside each other in terms of drawing power around here. For example, more students in my high school graduating class went to Fayetteville than Columbia.)

I have been a lurking around this site for awhile now (forgetting log in info and having an old email address isn't a great combo), but what is holding you guys back from being a very good program? It seems like with the ability to draw from those areas you would have plenty of talent. Is it an issue with scouting the rest of the country?

Redbird 4th & short
August 26th, 2017, 01:28 PM
it does hurt .. that and fact that we really compete for attention with 7 D-I programs, plus all the Chicago area sports are drains on ISU. It also doesn't help that BloNo is home to many transplants due to number of big companies HQ'd there ... and they all went to college somewhere else.

And I get that this is our reality. But some of our base .. too much of our base allow it to be THE reason they tepidly support our football program .. I don't get that at all. It is why in 2014 we draw less than 6k for UNI home playoff game, then 150-200 for EWU road game, then maybe 250-300 for UNH road game .. then 3,500+ for Frisco ... and we knew this would happen like this for the whole Frisco ticket gate episode. Again, I don't get that mentality of withholding support until AFTER we make the FBS commitment or get to championship game .. we hold ourselves back with that mentality.

Hancock 2.0 was 25m investment in football for what was essentially zero additional seating capacity .. just a whole lot nicer 13k capacity .. heck of commitment to help get us to next level. But now admin is waiting for fan and donor base to build slowly but surely.

GodHelpTheBears
August 26th, 2017, 02:47 PM
it does hurt .. that and fact that we really compete for attention with 7 D-I programs, plus all the Chicago area sports are drains on ISU. It also doesn't help that BloNo is home to many transplants due to number of big companies HQ'd there ... and they all went to college somewhere else.

And I get that this is our reality. But some of our base .. too much of our base allow it to be THE reason they tepidly support our football program .. I don't get that at all. It is why in 2014 we draw less than 6k for UNI home playoff game, then 150-200 for EWU road game, then maybe 250-300 for UNH road game .. then 3,500+ for Frisco ... and we knew this would happen like this for the whole Frisco ticket gate episode. Again, I don't get that mentality of withholding support until AFTER we make the FBS commitment or get to championship game .. we hold ourselves back with that mentality.

Hancock 2.0 was 25m investment in football for what was essentially zero additional seating capacity .. just a whole lot nicer 13k capacity .. heck of commitment to help get us to next level. But now admin is waiting for fan and donor base to build slowly but surely.

I'm not really sure what our potential is. I personally don't think we have much in football, and it's a waste of our resources to keep it going. We can do serious damage in basketball, baseball, etc. We have in the past. Football is just an afterthought in the Ozarks - a product of spread out, rural school districts lacking enough students to sustain football programs for many decades, or districts that could but still couldn't get it going because of land difficulties or lack of funds.

On the other hand, with an actual marketing effort we drew over 18,000 to watch a not very good MSU team play a not very good UND with our head coach firmly in lame duck status. Springfield's metro area is now over half a million - we're getting close to Wichita and Little Rock in size. There's no competition for eyeballs. There is a strong regional identity associated with the school that survived the name change.

I honestly don't know how fan culture would turn out if we started winning. I'm not totally sure we'd have a fan culture. If we did, I could see us turning into a FCS West Virginia in terms of behavior. My God, if we ever connect with the ol' boys in the rural counties we would make NDSU fans look like William F. Buckleys.

GodHelpTheBears
August 27th, 2017, 11:03 AM
**MISSOURI STATE QUARTERBACK LEADS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING DRIVE**

http://www.news-leader.com/videos/sports/college/msu/2017/08/24/peyton-husligs-njcaa-national-championship-winning-drive/104921010/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Also shame on everybody for letting this thread fall to page 2.

cx500d
August 27th, 2017, 01:10 PM
**MISSOURI STATE QUARTERBACK LEADS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING DRIVE**

http://www.news-leader.com/videos/sports/college/msu/2017/08/24/peyton-husligs-njcaa-national-championship-winning-drive/104921010/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Also shame on everybody for letting this thread fall to page 2.

Well ****, I guess the rest of the times should just take the rest of the year off because we obviously have no hope of beating you now.

GodHelpTheBears
August 27th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Well ****, I guess the rest of the times should just take the rest of the year off because we obviously have no hope of beating you now.

He's already the best QB we've had since Cody Kirby and he hasn't taken a game time snap with us.

Hell, he's the first Bear I've witnessed who has won something at the college level.

Thumper 76
August 27th, 2017, 04:08 PM
He's already the best QB we've had since Cody Kirby and he hasn't taken a game time snap with us.

Hell, he's the first Bear I've witnessed who has won something at the college level.

But how is he with dogs?

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 04:25 PM
But how is he with dogs?

xlolx

xbawlingx

GodHelpTheBears
August 27th, 2017, 04:50 PM
xlolx

xbawlingx

Don't laugh, he's referencing a guy whose first name is Breckinridge.

TheKingpin28
August 27th, 2017, 05:31 PM
But how is he with dogs?

https://media.giphy.com/media/r1HGFou3mUwMw/giphy.gif

cx500d
August 27th, 2017, 07:02 PM
Guy on the right might be a jackrabbit student or fan.

https://media.giphy.com/media/r1HGFou3mUwMw/giphy.gif

ST_Lawson
August 28th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Guy on the right might be a jackrabbit student or fan.

Looks like he just suffered a "jack attack"

Yote 53
August 28th, 2017, 11:04 AM

My take on USD's record:

Drake - Win

Bowling Green - Loss

WIU - Loss

YSU - Loss

Ind State - Win

Ill State - Loss

SIU - Win

UNI - Loss

NDSU - Loss

SDSU - Loss

xeyebrowxxnodx

My prediction:

Drake - Win

Bowling Green - Loss

UND - Win

WIU - Win

YSU - Win

Ind State - Win

Ill State - Loss

SIU - Win

UNI - Loss

NDSU - Loss

SDSU - Win

Final record 7-4, 5-3 in the MVFC.

I suspect SDSU will end up about the same. I'd say 8-3.

CappinHard
August 28th, 2017, 11:22 AM
My prediction:

UND - Win

WIU - Win

YSU - Win

SDSU - Win

Final record 7-4, 5-3 in the MVFC.

I suspect SDSU will end up about the same. I'd say 8-3.

That's a bold prediction. Imo, best case USD wins 2 out of those 4. The thing USD has going for them is that the only away game of those 4 is @WIU. Still... USD's defense had better be much improved if they're going to think about going 7-4. I can see SDSU going 8-3 if they have some injury issues. More realistic is 9-2 or 10-1 with possible losses being vs. NDSU, vs. UNI (wouldn't be the first Hobo Day let down), or @ USD (their super bowl). I'm not predicting 11-0, because even if we take NDSU at home, we're bound to slip up at some point.

Yote 53
August 28th, 2017, 11:49 AM
3 out of those 4 are at home with YSU on D-Days for some added juice to the game.

USD is a completely different team at home, historically. They can beat anybody there.

CappinHard
August 28th, 2017, 12:07 PM
3 out of those 4 are at home with YSU on D-Days for some added juice to the game.

USD is a completely different team at home, historically. They can beat anybody there.

You're right, they are completely different at home... but that's only because they have been historically bad away from home. If USD had been at least mediocre when away instead of really really bad, your claim would be false. I don't know about claiming they can beat anybody at home when they aren't even .500 at home. Since 2012 when they joined the MVFC, USD's home and away records are:

AWAY: 4-26 (13.33%)
HOME: 12-15 (44.44%)

For reference, SDSU's home and away records since they joined in 2008 are:

AWAY: 19-16 (54.3%)
HOME: 25-6 (80.64%)

Teams are usually going to have a better home record than away record. It would have to be much more of a gap to be able to make the claims you're trying to make.

Hambone
August 28th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Not to jump into the South Dakota fray too much, but from my somewhat outsiders perspective, I have SDSU as a national title contender (I have them winning the conference over the Bison) and I actually have USD as my most improved - I feel they will finish in the top 4 in the league. Don't really have a reason, just a gut feel. However, said gut has been way wrong before..........

I also think that UNI will actually come back as a force this year.

Redbird 4th & short
August 28th, 2017, 12:43 PM

I'm still bitter that we never got a thank you card from USD for our very generous gift last year .. even putting aside highly questionable officiating causing Spack to send tape to league of several very odd calls and non-calls. xnodx

Redbird 4th & short
August 28th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Not to jump into the South Dakota fray too much, but from my somewhat outsiders perspective, I have SDSU as a national title contender (I have them winning the conference over the Bison) and I actually have USD as my most improved - I feel they will finish in the top 4 in the league. Don't really have a reason, just a gut feel. However, said gut has been way wrong before..........

I also think that UNI will actually come back as a force this year.

Agree team with lowest expectations combined with highest chance of surprising is UNI .. the defense will be very good as usual., The offense has fresh blood/ideas with a decent pocket QB .. they may have no choice but to stopping their dual-threat/bi-polar offensive approach. They do this, and they will do better than people are thinking right now .. Clenz may come back into fold as fan-atic !!

As for USD .. I like their offensive upside, though it is more big play threat, than it is pound it down people throats .. but they are good on offense ... maybe 3rd or 4th best this fall. But defensively, they were last in conference last year and they lost a lot from that porous defense .. so very likely 10th again.

ISUr will no doubt look to grind/pound their defense into submission to chew up clock and keep their offense off the field. But their offense is NOT at level of SDSU .. and their defense is even further behind SDSU.

Barring significant injuries ... SDSU worst case scenario is 3rd place.

USD best case scenario is 5th place, maybe 4th place if all planets align .. which they usually don't. You went 1-5 on road last year and 3-2 at home. Your bad defense got worse. Your total offense ranked 7th in MVFC. Your total defense ranked a distant 10th .. run defense was abysmal. You played the score tough with lot of close games, but not sure how 4-7 gets to 7-4, especially since you had help with 2 suspect home wins (ISUr and UNI) .. or you could have been 2-9 overall and 1-7 in MVFC. Need to address that defense before talking upper half of MVFC.

ST_Lawson
August 28th, 2017, 03:44 PM
In case anyone is interested, our depth chart for the first game was posted today. You can check it out here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Vd4Jd0jxEfQi1RQmVYMC16X28/view?usp=sharing

Apparently we're dressing two true freshmen, J'Lon Smith (DL) and Shabar Wilson (DT), although they aren't listed on the 2-deep, so if we're able to get through the season without any/many serious injuries at those positions, we might not need to burn any redshirts this year.

clenz
August 28th, 2017, 04:21 PM
In case anyone is interested, our depth chart for the first game was posted today. You can check it out here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Vd4Jd0jxEfQi1RQmVYMC16X28/view?usp=sharing

Apparently we're dressing two true freshmen, J'Lon Smith (DL) and Shabar Wilson (DT), although they aren't listed on the 2-deep, so if we're able to get through the season without any/many serious injuries at those positions, we might not need to burn any redshirts this year.
I assumed all freshman dressed for home games. Pretty sure they do at UNI.

ST_Lawson
August 28th, 2017, 04:29 PM
I assumed all freshman dressed for home games. Pretty sure they do at UNI.

This was in reference to our first game at Tennessee Tech. I assume we probably dress everyone for home games as well.

Source:
https://twitter.com/hottscolland81/status/902239528706068480

TTUEagles
August 29th, 2017, 08:12 AM
This was in reference to our first game at Tennessee Tech. I assume we probably dress everyone for home games as well.

Source:
https://twitter.com/hottscolland81/status/902239528706068480

TTU is apparently staring a true Freshman at Center... Yikes.

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2017, 08:19 AM
TTU is apparently staring a true Freshman at Center... Yikes.

And we have a D-Lineman and two Linebackers on the preseason All-MVFC list (either named to the team or honorable mention), including one that's on the Buchanan Watch list.

My thoughts and sympathies are with your QB and his family.

I know Birdsong is gone now...who's the starting QB for you guys this year...does he have any experience?

TTUEagles
August 29th, 2017, 08:26 AM
And we have a D-Lineman and two Linebackers on the preseason All-MVFC list (either named to the team or honorable mention), including one that's on the Buchanan Watch list.

My thoughts and sympathies are with your QB and his family.

I know Birdsong is gone now...who's the starting QB for you guys this year...does he have any experience?

Starting QB is a Graduate/transfer from Rutgers. 5-star QB out of California who signed with LSU out of high school. I'll admit I have limited connections at TECH, but two people say he's "phenomenal." Seriously. Not sure what that means. We have a pre-season All-OVC RB and WR, too... Pretty confident in our offense and was shocked to see the center on depth chart... We shall see.

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Starting QB is a Graduate/transfer from Rutgers. 5-star QB out of California who signed with LSU out of high school. I'll admit I have limited connections at TECH, but two people say he's "phenomenal." Seriously. Not sure what that means. We have a pre-season All-OVC RB and WR, too... Pretty confident in our offense and was shocked to see the center on depth chart... We shall see.

Ah, ok. Maybe he'll be all right then. I'm hoping that him+your WR will heavily test our DBs this week. They were a HUGE weak spot for us last year, and while they've done quite a bit to improve that aspect, you never really know until the cleats hit the turf.

TTUEagles
August 29th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Ah, ok. Maybe he'll be all right then. I'm hoping that him+your WR will heavily test our DBs this week. They were a HUGE weak spot for us last year, and while they've done quite a bit to improve that aspect, you never really know until the cleats hit the turf.

Right. I don't know about this year's TTU team. Pretty pleased with the new coach/staff thus far, but they have a lot of Soph/Fresh on the 2-deep... This will be a good test, glad we play you guys vs some NAIA or FBS team. I hate that the game will likely be played in consistent/heavy rain, though.

UNIFanSince1983
August 29th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Who would have guessed there would be this much chatter for TTU vs WIU?

clenz
August 29th, 2017, 08:56 AM
And as I say if you're playing freshman in large numbers you have issues this come out from our beat writer

https://twitter.com/Nelley13/status/902283489587871745

So....

However, it's a Farley depth chart for week 1 so chances are 80% of it is made up and the points don't matter anyway. I remember against Iowa in 2013 he listed Bryce Paup's kid at starting linebacker. His kid was a D3 transfer from UW-Stout, I think...one of the UW D3s...It was his first year in the program. He was listed a head of Jared Farley, Jordan Gacke and Sam Tim - all three were All Conference or All American selections. I believe he also didn't list a single DL that played in that game on the 2 deep. I also believe every secondary position was listed as "Player X OR Player Y" in a defensive backfield that included Deiondre Hall, Mackinton Dorleant, and Tim Kilfoy - all of whom were All Americans of different levels and spend time/still in the NFL.

Nimmers nearly had his RS pulled last year, and Farley has said from the start, going back to signing day, that keeping Suni Lane off the field this year would be extremely difficult/impossible.

Thankfully there are really only 2 or 3 "potent" passing attacks we face this year.

Iowa State has Allen Lazard - who is a legit first 3 round NFL guy. Safety help will probably come from the Wisconsin grad transfer.
Cal Poly is not a passing threat
SUU's Patrick Tyler put up decent numbers last year (2300 yards 23 TDs in 10 games starting) but Big Sky defenses, so we'll see
SIU is going to chuck the pigskin like crazy
WIU is more balanced and shouldn't really hurt to have a freshman back there
SDSU - **** me
YSU - not worried
NDSU - stick is good but not super concerned about him beating us deep too badly
USD - more worried about him running that throwing
MSU - zero worries
ISUb - zero worries.

Basically - 1 Iowa State player, SIU and SDSU worry me for pass defense with 2 freshman sharing a FS spot with NDSU, SUU and WIU with the ability to burn if they aren't prepped.

BisonFan02
August 29th, 2017, 10:35 AM
And as I say if you're playing freshman in large numbers you have issues this come out from our beat writer

https://twitter.com/Nelley13/status/902283489587871745

So....

However, it's a Farley depth chart for week 1 so chances are 80% of it is made up and the points don't matter anyway. I remember against Iowa in 2013 he listed Bryce Paup's kid at starting linebacker. His kid was a D3 transfer from UW-Stout, I think...one of the UW D3s...It was his first year in the program. He was listed a head of Jared Farley, Jordan Gacke and Sam Tim - all three were All Conference or All American selections. I believe he also didn't list a single DL that played in that game on the 2 deep. I also believe every secondary position was listed as "Player X OR Player Y" in a defensive backfield that included Deiondre Hall, Mackinton Dorleant, and Tim Kilfoy - all of whom were All Americans of different levels and spend time/still in the NFL.

Nimmers nearly had his RS pulled last year, and Farley has said from the start, going back to signing day, that keeping Suni Lane off the field this year would be extremely difficult/impossible.

Thankfully there are really only 2 or 3 "potent" passing attacks we face this year.

Iowa State has Allen Lazard - who is a legit first 3 round NFL guy. Safety help will probably come from the Wisconsin grad transfer.
Cal Poly is not a passing threat
SUU's Patrick Tyler put up decent numbers last year (2300 yards 23 TDs in 10 games starting) but Big Sky defenses, so we'll see
SIU is going to chuck the pigskin like crazy
WIU is more balanced and shouldn't really hurt to have a freshman back there
SDSU - **** me
YSU - not worried
NDSU - stick is good but not super concerned about him beating us deep too badly
USD - more worried about him running that throwing
MSU - zero worries
ISUb - zero worries.

Basically - 1 Iowa State player, SIU and SDSU worry me for pass defense with 2 freshman sharing a FS spot with NDSU, SUU and WIU with the ability to burn if they aren't prepped.

Stick is the wildcard for NDSU, but I wouldn't exactly sleep on the passing attack this year....they might have some talent at WR if they figure out how to use it.

Bisonator
August 29th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Coach Klieman confirmed yesterday that true freshman DE Spencer Waege will have his redshirt pulled. Not a surprise considering the loss of Menard for the year. Waege is a stud and was highly recruited. That might be the only redshirt pulled from this class.

Bisonator
August 29th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Stick is the wildcard for NDSU, but I wouldn't exactly sleep on the passing attack this year....they might have some talent at WR if they figure out how to use it.
Agreed. Will be interesting to see how Engel and Cain play and Coach Messingham's offense and play calling. Lots of talent if they can get on the same page and execute.

BisonFan02
August 29th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Agreed. Will be interesting to see how Engel and Cain play and Coach Messingham's offense and play calling. Lots of talent if they can get on the same page and execute.

Bingo....takes heat off RJ and Shepherd to play in their more natural spots as well. Engel could be special and Cain is a threat.

TTUEagles
August 29th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Who would have guessed there would be this much chatter for TTU vs WIU?

Well, certainly, not me; but I'd chatter more if I thought anyone was interested...

Sycamore62
August 29th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Here's my predictions for the Sycamores (not that anyone cares)
EIU-W
Tennessee-L
Liberty-W
ISUr-W (im 50/50 on this since its in Normal)
NDSU-L
USD-W
SIU-W
MSU-W
YSU-W
WIU-W
UNI-L

Bisonator
August 29th, 2017, 11:14 AM
EIU-W
Tennessee-L
Liberty-W
NDSU-L
USD-W
SIU-W
MSU-W
YSU-W
WIU-W
UNI-L
I think you might have mixed up the W and L.....;)

POD Knows
August 29th, 2017, 11:17 AM
EIU-W
Tennessee-L
Liberty-W
NDSU-L
USD-W
SIU-W
MSU-W
YSU-W
WIU-W
UNI-LWhat is the emoji for spiting coffee all over my computer screen. Are the W's next to the team name mean that the team will win, as in, YSU-W means YSU wins.

Well that can't be right because using that method, you have NDSU losing to ISUb

CappinHard
August 29th, 2017, 11:19 AM
In light of fantasy football drafts going on this week, with David Johnson being deemed as the best RB in the NFL, how do UNI fans feel about knowing that you had him in your stable and under utilized him during his time there? Makes a guy wonder how much damage he could have done if he was given a healthy dose of carries for at least 3 years of his college career.

clenz
August 29th, 2017, 11:53 AM
In light of fantasy football drafts going on this week, with David Johnson being deemed as the best RB in the NFL, how do UNI fans feel about knowing that you had him in your stable and under utilized him during his time there? Makes a guy wonder how much damage he could have done if he was given a healthy dose of carries for at least 3 years of his college career.
https://i.giphy.com/media/6h4z4b3v6XWxO/giphy.webp

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2017, 12:21 PM
https://i.giphy.com/media/6h4z4b3v6XWxO/giphy.webp

Yea, I was going to say....wondering of that nature is what drives UNI fans to drink...heavily.

Sycamore62
August 29th, 2017, 12:35 PM
What is the emoji for spiting coffee all over my computer screen. Are the W's next to the team name mean that the team will win, as in, YSU-W means YSU wins.

Well that can't be right because using that method, you have NDSU losing to ISUb

which one do you think i have wrong? Tennessee?

clenz
August 29th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Yea, I was going to say....wondering of that nature is what drives UNI fans to drink...heavily.
I'll simply leave it with this.

Between 2011-2015 we had the following guys on our roster and never made it past the quarterfinals. You want to know why UNI fans are salty? Want to understand why we hate football season? Want to understand our disdain for anything we have disdain for? Take a look at this list and remember all of these guys were on the same ****ing teams - with a year or so of overlap from the oldest to the youngest players.

RB David Johnson - nuff said
OL Robert Rathje - multiple time AA/AC on the OL, 4 year starting center that never missed a game
OL Jack Rummells - multiple AC honors on the OL - 3 year starter
OL Bryce Sweeney - still on the roster but played in every game in 2014 and 2015. Started every game in 15 at RT. All Conference. Missed last year due to injury
OL - Dan Kruger - multiple AC honors
WR Daurice Fountain - still on roster. A top 5 WR in WI in HS. Watch out for him with Dunne, obviously never used with Carnes.
WR Kevin Vereen - AC honors

This is where it gets real good....this is the defense we were putting out there
CB Deiondre Hall - multiple time AA/AC, confererence DPOY, national DPOY, drafted, sees good NFL PT.
CB - Makinton Dorleant - multiple time AA/AC, in the NFL
SS - Tim Kilfoy - multiple time AA/AC, time in the NFL - now coaching at UNI
FS - Ray Mitchell - multiple time AC, bouncing around NFL camps as a camp body
LB/SS - D'Shawn Dexter - all conference
LB - Jake Farley - muitple time AA/AC
LB - Jared Farley - multiple time AC/AA, if healthy will get it again this year
LB - Brett McMakin - multiple AA/AC honors - lead nation in tackles as a JR before leaving school for NFL draft
LB - Jordan Gacke - multiple AC honors
DL - Xaiver Williams - multipe time AC/AA, in NFL on same team with DJ. Just a ****ing monster on the KL
DL - Karter Schult - multiple AC/AA, conference DPOY, national player of the year,
DL - Isaac Ales - mutliple AC honors
DL - Mac O'Brein - multiple AC honors
DL - Colin Albrecht - All Conerence - lead conference in sacks as a senior

Yeah...that's all from a 4 year span. missed the playoffs twice in that span. Didn't get passed the quarters in the other two. Those are also just guys I remember off the top of my head. I wonder who I missed - especially on the OL.

People - especially NDSU fans - give me all kinds of **** for this statement but I will stand by it until I die. A decent...not even great....quarterback getting run at UNI during that time and we have at least 1, if not 2, national titles. Disagree if you want, but UNI has a top 3 defense in the nation every ****ing year. Literally the only difference between NDSU and UNI the last 7 years has bee QB play. That's ****ing it

I'm going to go drink a full bottle of jager mixed with bleach now

clenz
August 29th, 2017, 01:13 PM
As for this year - we don't have an official two deep, and even when Farley does it's garbage anyway. Here's my guess

QB: Eli Dunne
RB: Trevor Allen, J'Veyon Browning, Marcus Weymiller - depending on match up and situation
WR: Daurice Fountain, Jalen Rima, Jaylin James, Isaiah Westen, Weymiller, Allen
TE: Elias Nissen, Briley Moore, Peyton Williams
Who knows how OL will shuffle out with who is where but my guess is
LT: Cal Twait
LG: Jackson Scott-Brown
C: Lee Carhard
RG: Jacob Applman
RT: Bryce Sweeney
Others likely to see time on the line (maybe start) Colton Lueck, Exra Szczyrbak, Phili Ardent and freshman Nick Ellis (darkhorse for the center spot now that Rathje is graduated).

DE: Adam Reth
DE: Hezekiah Applegate
DT: Bryce Douglas
DT: Preston Woods
rotational DL guys: Seth Thomas, Marcel Minniefield, Brawntae Wells, Sonny Onken - that would be 3 senior starters and pretty much all freshman and sophomores after that
OLB: Ricky Neal/Blake Thomas - depending on the set. Neal will take the plays that De'Shawn Dexter had in previous years. Thomas the more traditional backer plays
MLB: Jared Farley
OLB: Duncan Ferch
rotational guys: Blake Thomas/Rickey Neal, Alfonzo Lambert, Chris Kolarevic (true FR), Kendrick Suntken, Bryce Flater (darkhorse true freshman), AJ Allen
CB: Elijah Campbel
CB: Malcolmb Washington
FS: AJ Allen
SS: Keelon Brookins
Rotational guys: Isaiah Nimmers, Suni Lane (true freshman), Rashadeem Gray, Willie Beamon, Nikholi Jaghai

P: Sam Kuhter
K: Sam Drysdale

IBleedYellow
August 29th, 2017, 01:22 PM
I'll simply leave it with this.

Between 2011-2015 we had the following guys on our roster and never made it past the quarterfinals. You want to know why UNI fans are salty? Want to understand why we hate football season? Want to understand our disdain for anything we have disdain for? Take a look at this list and remember all of these guys were on the same ****ing teams - with a year or so of overlap from the oldest to the youngest players.

RB David Johnson - nuff said
OL Robert Rathje - multiple time AA/AC on the OL, 4 year starting center that never missed a game
OL Jack Rummells - multiple AC honors on the OL - 3 year starter
OL Bryce Sweeney - still on the roster but played in every game in 2014 and 2015. Started every game in 15 at RT. All Conference. Missed last year due to injury
OL - Dan Kruger - multiple AC honors
WR Daurice Fountain - still on roster. A top 5 WR in WI in HS. Watch out for him with Dunne, obviously never used with Carnes.
WR Kevin Vereen - AC honors

This is where it gets real good....this is the defense we were putting out there
CB Deiondre Hall - multiple time AA/AC, confererence DPOY, national DPOY, drafted, sees good NFL PT.
CB - Makinton Dorleant - multiple time AA/AC, in the NFL
SS - Tim Kilfoy - multiple time AA/AC, time in the NFL - now coaching at UNI
FS - Ray Mitchell - multiple time AC, bouncing around NFL camps as a camp body
LB/SS - D'Shawn Dexter - all conference
LB - Jake Farley - muitple time AA/AC
LB - Jared Farley - multiple time AC/AA, if healthy will get it again this year
LB - Brett McMakin - multiple AA/AC honors - lead nation in tackles as a JR before leaving school for NFL draft
LB - Jordan Gacke - multiple AC honors
DL - Xaiver Williams - multipe time AC/AA, in NFL on same team with DJ. Just a ****ing monster on the KL
DL - Karter Schult - multiple AC/AA, conference DPOY, national player of the year,
DL - Isaac Ales - mutliple AC honors
DL - Mac O'Brein - multiple AC honors
DL - Colin Albrecht - All Conerence - lead conference in sacks as a senior

Yeah...that's all from a 4 year span. missed the playoffs twice in that span. Didn't get passed the quarters in the other two. Those are also just guys I remember off the top of my head. I wonder who I missed - especially on the OL.

People - especially NDSU fans - give me all kinds of **** for this statement but I will stand by it until I die. A decent...not even great....quarterback getting run at UNI during that time and we have at least 1, if not 2, national titles. Disagree if you want, but UNI has a top 3 defense in the nation every ****ing year. Literally the only difference between NDSU and UNI the last 7 years has bee QB play. That's ****ing it

I'm going to go drink a full bottle of jager mixed with bleach now

As I have said in the past, my friend. It takes more than just a QB play. You need a competent coaching staff to put your players in the correct places to win.

I cite your use of David ****ing Johnson as a point to show that your coaching staff is/was/will continue to be incompetent.

I rest my case.

clenz
August 29th, 2017, 01:28 PM
As I have said in the past, my friend. It takes more than just a QB play. You need a competent coaching staff to put your players in the correct places to win.

I cite your use of David ****ing Johnson as a point to show that your coaching staff is/was/will continue to be incompetent.

I rest my case.
Yet UNI still beat NDSU. UNI was still the only team to even touch NDSU.

A decent, passing, QB and UNI wins a national title.

The issue was attempting to run a damn passing offense with Brion ****ing Carnes and Aaron Bailey (though that was post DJ). Replace Carnes with a healthy Kollmorgen and DJ isn't averaging 9 touches a game. We don't have a QB completing 46% of his passes. We have a system that doesn't allow the other team to put 10 in the box.

IBleedYellow
August 29th, 2017, 01:56 PM

A decent, passing, QB and UNI wins a national title.

The issue was attempting to run a damn passing offense with Brion ****ing Carnes and Aaron Bailey (though that was post DJ). Replace Carnes with a healthy Kollmorgen and DJ isn't averaging 9 touches a game. We don't have a QB completing 46% of his passes. We have a system that doesn't allow the other team to put 10 in the box.

So coaching?

xcoffeex

My point is - your coaching staff was competent enough to get the kids there. I would then say the Panthers won despite the incompetence of the staff to field the proper players.

Either way dude: Y'all didn't win. Someone is to blame. If it's not the kids. Who else is there? Someone's gotta fall. I'm looking @ Farley. Look at how much Farley and co botched up Kollmorgen. Dude got jerked around so many different way, got concussions, etc. He has a legit gripe, if you ask me. WITH THE DAMN COACHES.

clenz
August 29th, 2017, 02:05 PM
So you think the 2014 team with David Johnson, and that defense with a guy like Easton Stick/Carson Wentz or hell, even Trenton Norvell or a healthy Sawyer Kollmorgen wouldn't get it done?

Okay.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2017, 02:06 PM
So you think the 2014 team with David Johnson, and that defense with a guy like Easton Stick/Carson Wentz or hell, even Trenton Norvell or a healthy Sawyer Kollmorgen wouldn't get it done?

Okay.Nah, they would still choke, it is in the program's DNA.

Bisonator
August 29th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Where have we heard this before Bison fans??? xlolx

Oh I suppose YSU, ISUb, USD, Montana can make the same claim.

Sycamore62
August 29th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Where have we heard this before Bison fans??? xlolx

Indiana State 2012?

Bisonator
August 29th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Indiana State 2012?
I edited my post.

It's more a shot at UND who constantly brings up the H/H record while we flaunt our NC's!

Sycamore62
August 29th, 2017, 02:18 PM
I edited my post.

It's more a shot at UND who constantly brings up the H/H record while we flaunt our NC's!

Im just getting into game mode. Im hoping the talking makes the time pass quicker. game weeks drag waiting on a game.

IBleedYellow
August 29th, 2017, 02:25 PM

Okay.

Nope.

Because Farley would pull Easton or Carson and put Carnes back in. Because #dualthreatQB

I'm sorry man, Farley is the boon and bane of your program.

ST_Lawson
August 30th, 2017, 09:09 AM
From the FCS Wedge: MVFC Week 1 Preview (http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-week-1-preview/)

Feedback welcome...let me know if you want more of something, less of other things, additional information, or just want me to shut the hell up already ;)

Bison56
August 30th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Am I missing a MVFC Pick'em, or hasn't one been posted?

- - - Updated - - -

From the FCS Wedge: MVFC Week 1 Preview (http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-week-1-preview/)

Feedback welcome...let me know if you want more of something, less of other things, additional information, or just want me to shut the hell up already ;)

Nice work!

Schism55
August 30th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Im just getting into game mode. Im hoping the talking makes the time pass quicker. game weeks drag waiting on a game.
xdrunkyx

IBleedYellow
August 30th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Fun fact of the day: Since 1965, NDSU Football has won the National Title 27% of the time they have been eligible.

dewey
August 30th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Am I missing a MVFC Pick'em, or hasn't one been posted?

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work!

I am doing it for Thumper this year and I will post it later tonight.

Dewey

dewey
August 30th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Here is an article about UNI getting ready to take on the Iowa State Cyclones.

UNI has won 3 of the last 5 meetings.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/uni-footbal-panthers-ready-for-adversity-challenges-isu-will-give/article_2611f104-14c4-5399-82f7-e0aa5d5a2701.html

Dewey

UNIFanSince1983
August 31st, 2017, 07:41 AM
Here is an article about UNI getting ready to take on the Iowa State Cyclones.

UNI has won 3 of the last 5 meetings.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/uni-footbal-panthers-ready-for-adversity-challenges-isu-will-give/article_2611f104-14c4-5399-82f7-e0aa5d5a2701.html

Dewey

As much as I will be cheering for UNI to beat ISU on Saturday it probably won't happen. I mean it is always a great year when UNI beats ISU then ISU beats Iowa, but alas I fear ISU has improved too much for UNI to win this year. Although I think we could be better than I have been putting on. IF Farley goes back to what made us good (pocket passer, good run game, and dominant defense) we could be dangerous. I just worry if something happens to Dunne he might find a way to put one of the freshman running QBs in and it will go to heck.

Murphy's Law says "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". Around Panther fans it has to be: "Anything that can go wrong, Farley will make sure goes wrong"

mmiller_34
August 31st, 2017, 08:11 AM
Fun fact of the day: Since 1965, NDSU Football has won the National Title 27% of the time they have been eligible.

https://media.giphy.com/media/12gso93JL7LOi4/giphy.gif

TTUEagles
August 31st, 2017, 02:18 PM

In the Nashville area, it's raining like a bull pissing on flat rock right now... will make for a soggy, nasty game: I dread sitting in the rain all night. But, a TECH win will make it a lot more tolerable! :)

ST_Lawson
August 31st, 2017, 02:28 PM
In the Nashville area, it's raining like a bull pissing on flat rock right now... will make for a soggy, nasty game: I dread sitting in the rain all night. But, a TECH win will make it a lot more tolerable! :)

It's on turf at least though, right?
During our 2010 season it rained at least some portion of every home game, including full-on downpours for much of two of them.
That was the last season we had real grass/mud pit.

Rain favors the running game, so we'll see who's better in that aspect, at least.

TTUEagles
August 31st, 2017, 03:00 PM
It's on turf at least though, right?
During our 2010 season it rained at least some portion of every home game, including full-on downpours for much of two of them.
That was the last season we had real grass/mud pit.

Rain favors the running game, so we'll see who's better in that aspect, at least.
Yes, it is Field Turf - has a huge crown on it, so it should drain well... I actually think rain favors passing teams where DB's footing is at a disadvantage... Our coach favors the huddle, two tight ends (3 if he could) and run it a lot, with drop-back passing. OL is a question mark - for me- but have a lot of confidence in our front 7, #1 WR and RB. DB's and O-line? I just don't know

JSUSoutherner
August 31st, 2017, 03:05 PM
Yes, it is Field Turf - has a huge crown on it, so it should drain well... I actually think rain favors passing teams where DB's footing is at a disadvantage... Our coach favors the huddle, two tight ends (3 if he could) and run it a lot, with drop-back passing. OL is a question mark - for me- but have a lot of confidence in our front 7, #1 WR and RB. DB's and O-line? I just don't knowPLEASE GOD PULL IN A WIN.

The OVC needs some OOC wins. Badly.

Bison56
August 31st, 2017, 03:27 PM
I am doing it for Thumper this year and I will post it later tonight.

Dewey

Thanks Dewey, I appreciate the work you are doing.

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2017, 03:54 PM
While I think WIU will win, Tennessee Tech is looking to be a tough program this year from what I understand.

dewey
August 31st, 2017, 10:10 PM
Well Western Illinois just whooped TTU.

Dewey

Schism55
August 31st, 2017, 10:23 PM
PLEASE GOD PULL IN A WIN.

The OVC needs some OOC wins. Badly.
No soup for you!

TTUEagles
August 31st, 2017, 10:39 PM
TECH is terrible. God awful OLine play and they tried 2 different QB's all night - neither worked. Tough to tell if WIU was THAT much better than TECH, but their DLine was pretty darn good. I hope they go really far this year!
Thank God, hockey season starts soon. I bought into the TTU hype ... fooled again.

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2017, 09:12 AM
TECH is terrible. God awful OLine play and they tried 2 different QB's all night - neither worked. Tough to tell if WIU was THAT much better than TECH, but their DLine was pretty darn good. I hope they go really far this year!
Thank God, hockey season starts soon. I bought into the TTU hype ... fooled again.

Yea, I liked how a lot of our guys performed, but with one game between two teams with a lot of question marks going into the season, it's hard to tell if it was WIU taking a big step up, or TTU taking a step down. You had a couple of guys with big receptions, which was a weakness of ours last season, but idk if it was because we had second string defenders in, we just haven't gotten any better in that area, or maybe your QB is just starting to find his rhythm. I definitely agree that the D-Line and LBs were getting pressure all evening long...0 net rushing yards. It was really their night. That big 3rd quarter was pretty much set up by a forced turnover and the pick-6, as well as the line preventing TTU from going anywhere.

Everything I heard from people that went to the game was positive. Sounds like they were treated well by all the TTU people and many of our fans thought that TTU/Cookeville was similar to WIU/Macomb (in a good way). Good luck to you guys on the rest of your season. I've been through some rough years on our end (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2710/year/2009) and I don't wish that on any fanbase.

So, we know that our defensive "short game" is solid...but next week we'll likely get a huge test of our DBs (to see if they've really improved or not) against Northern Arizona.

TTUEagles
September 1st, 2017, 11:31 AM
Yea, I liked how a lot of our guys performed, but with one game between two teams with a lot of question marks going into the season, it's hard to tell if it was WIU taking a big step up, or TTU taking a step down. You had a couple of guys with big receptions, which was a weakness of ours last season, but idk if it was because we had second string defenders in, we just haven't gotten any better in that area, or maybe your QB is just starting to find his rhythm. I definitely agree that the D-Line and LBs were getting pressure all evening long...0 net rushing yards. It was really their night. That big 3rd quarter was pretty much set up by a forced turnover and the pick-6, as well as the line preventing TTU from going anywhere.

Everything I heard from people that went to the game was positive. Sounds like they were treated well by all the TTU people and many of our fans thought that TTU/Cookeville was similar to WIU/Macomb (in a good way). Good luck to you guys on the rest of your season. I've been through some rough years on our end (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2710/year/2009) and I don't wish that on any fanbase.

So, we know that our defensive "short game" is solid...but next week we'll likely get a huge test of our DBs (to see if they've really improved or not) against Northern Arizona.

Good to hear good things about TECH/Cookeville. I thought it was a very subdued and dull crowd, even for a TECH game. Threat of downpour (waited until game's end and my area got hit really hard with over 7" of rain in some places) + Titans game + they still carry the game live on local TV really reduced the crowd. But, I think I bought into the hype about our offense and our QB (who the transfer QB didn't even start and threw a easy INT TD (I loathe the term "pick 6") right to a guy. They looked confused - WR's and QB's - and OLine got beaten regularly. REALLY hope WIU makes a lot of noise this year, but I'm very discouraged about TTU this year.

The Yo Show
September 1st, 2017, 12:56 PM
While I think WIU will win, Tennessee Tech is looking to be a tough program this year from what I understand.

Just need to clarify I suppose. When I wrote this, I was thinking of Tennessee State. This correction is not downplaying Tennessee Tech, just clarifying that I was mistaken as I was thinking of a different program when I made the comment.

underdawg
September 1st, 2017, 01:20 PM
https://twitter.com/SIU_Football/status/903662561803071488

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/SIU_Football/status/903662561803071488

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2017, 01:31 PM
Just need to clarify I suppose. When I wrote this, I was thinking of Tennessee State. This correction is not downplaying Tennessee Tech, just clarifying that I was mistaken as I was thinking of a different program when I made the comment.

You're not the only one to make that mistake. When I first saw it announced that we were playing Tennessee Tech, my first thought was..."oh, cool...we're playing an HBCU", until I looked up some info and realized that it was the other OVC TN-named team (I know there's Tennessee-Martin, but always just seem them as UT-Martin).

You're also not wrong about TSU being a good team, as Georgia State found out last night.

Redbird 4th & short
September 1st, 2017, 04:03 PM
You're not the only one to make that mistake. When I first saw it announced that we were playing Tennessee Tech, my first thought was..."oh, cool...we're playing an HBCU", until I looked up some info and realized that it was the other OVC TN-named team (I know there's Tennessee-Martin, but always just seem them as UT-Martin).

You're also not wrong about TSU being a good team, as Georgia State found out last night.

Congrats to your Leathernecks .. as advertised, came ou twith strong run game and defense despite McShane only getting 7 carrier. Hope his injury is minor ... and heals 100% after our game !!!

Not so sure about Tenn St yet ... they beat a weak Georgia Southern who were 3-9 last year including win over FCS, lost 6 starters on offense and defense from last season. So they have some rebuilding to do the next 2 years to get competitive again. Tenn St was 7-4 last year but did that against 216th ranked SOS (per Massey all D-I). Best win was TN Martin.

BisonFan02
September 1st, 2017, 04:17 PM
Congrats to your Leathernecks .. as advertised, came ou twith strong run game and defense despite McShane only getting 7 carrier. Hope his injury is minor ... and heals 100% after our game !!!

Not so sure about Tenn St yet ... they beat a weak Georgia Southern who were 3-9 last year including win over FCS, lost 6 starters on offense and defense from last season. So they have some rebuilding to do the next 2 years to get competitive again. Tenn St was 7-4 last year but did that against 216th ranked SOS (per Massey all D-I). Best win was TN Martin.

Georgia State

Redbird 4th & short
September 1st, 2017, 05:22 PM
Georgia State
oops .. lost track of last name. Georgia State had the 3-9 season I mentioned, but did NOT have the lost starters. Georgia St only lost just 3 on offense and 4 on defense.

Thanks for correction.

BisonFan02
September 1st, 2017, 05:26 PM
oops .. lost track of last name. Georgia State had the 3-9 season I mentioned, but did NOT have the lost starters. Georgia St only lost just 3 on offense and 4 on defense.

Thanks for correction.

No prob...token Sunbelt teams anyway. Nobody cares. xlolx

CappinHard
September 2nd, 2017, 02:55 PM
YSU ties Pitt 21-21 with 3:35 left. Interesting.

Carolina010
September 2nd, 2017, 03:13 PM

missed a 38 yarder. going to overtime

CappinHard
September 2nd, 2017, 03:14 PM

Pitt misses a 38 yd FG ftw with time expiring. Going to OT.

underdawg
September 2nd, 2017, 03:29 PM
Pitt wins 28-21 in OT--YSU QB intercepted in Pitt end zone--too bad. Penquins played well

mango433
September 2nd, 2017, 09:59 PM
Some ugly scores in the MVFC this week.

Redbird 4th & short
September 3rd, 2017, 07:58 AM
Pitt wins 28-21 in OT--YSU QB intercepted in Pitt end zone--too bad. Penquins played well
for perspective, Pitt went 8-4 in reg season last year playing against the 8th toughest SOS. They beat nat champs Clemson at Clemson, their only loss last year. Pit went 3-4 playing against 7 top 35 teams. Then lost to Northwestern in Bowl Game. However Pitt did lose 5.4 starters on offense and 8.4 starters on defense .. Pitt defense was weak spot last year. But given YSU lost 3 on offense and 7 on defense (many all conference, couple all americans), this is a very impressive showing for YSU.

And who would have thought MoST offense would do that to SEC team, even if lower end .. but their defense has to be cause for concern .. only real loss was stud MLB for MoST. Missouri had lost just 0.7 starters from so so offense, but 5.7 from a weak defense. Maybe MoST found themselves a QB.

GodHelpTheBears
September 3rd, 2017, 08:25 AM
Our transformation into a mediocre Big 12 team is complete.

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2017, 10:04 AM
Our transformation into a mediocre Sunbelt team is complete.

FIFY

mmiller_34
September 3rd, 2017, 10:06 AM
Impressed with USD's O. Lets see what they can do with Bowling Green next week. If they come out with a W next week, I'll be sold on them being top 3 or 4 team in the MVFC this year.

GodHelpTheBears
September 3rd, 2017, 10:19 AM
FIFY

Sun Belt teams get into blistering shootouts every week? Help me out, I don't watch Sun Belt games and it seems like you do

BigGoosie13
September 4th, 2017, 05:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiTARP1Qq0Q

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Sun Belt teams get into blistering shootouts every week? Help me out, I don't watch Sun Belt games and it seems like you do

No, but they tend to be SEC patsys early in the season ala Georgia Southern, App State, and South Alabama.

dewey
September 4th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Here are the MVFC players of the week.

http://valley-football.org/news/2017/9/3/valley-football-announces-players-of-the-week-sept-2.aspx

This week's Missouri Valley Football Conference Players of the Week include;
QB Chris Streveler of South Dakota
LB Quentin Moon of Western Illinois
P Brady Schutt of South Dakota
QB Peyton Huslig of Missouri State
Center Tanner Volson of North Dakota State.

Dewey

GodHelpTheBears
September 4th, 2017, 09:03 PM
No, but they tend to be SEC patsys early in the season ala Georgia Southern, App State, and South Alabama.

We play Big 12 teams more often.

In fact, allow me to twist this troll attempt into something informative - our future buy game schedule!

2018 - @ Oklahoma State
2019 - @ "MAC team" (LOL)
2020 - @ Oklahoma
2021 - @ Arkansas (if they sign a new contract with the city of Little Rock this one will be played there - but I doubt they will)
2022 - @ Oklahoma State again
2023 - @ School that produced Flatland Cavalry

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2017, 09:05 PM
We play Big 12 teams more often.

In fact, allow me to twist this troll attempt into something informative - our future buy game schedule!

2018 - @ Oklahoma State
2019 - @ "MAC team" (LOL)
2020 - @ Oklahoma
2021 - @ Arkansas (if they sign a new contract with the city of Little Rock this one will be played there - but I doubt they will)
2022 - @ Oklahoma State again
2023 - @ School that produced Flatland Cavalry

Neato. I don't care. Missouri State should be in the Sunbelt. Get on that. :D

GodHelpTheBears
September 4th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Neato. I don't care. Missouri State should be in the Sunbelt. Get on that. :D

This is the MVFC thread, we are in the MVFC, tough titties.

You are free to post all the NDSU crap you want in here as well.

GodHelpTheBears
September 4th, 2017, 10:19 PM
In fact, just for that comment I'll add some more MSU-related stuff.

TE Jordan Frazier injured for the next few weeks: http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2017/09/04/missouri-states-oklahoma-state-transfer-tight-end-miss-six-weeks/631493001/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Coach Stec talks about...whatever Saturday was: http://www.news-leader.com/videos/sports/college/msu/2017/09/02/msu-dave-steckel-talks-season-opener/105239290/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

clenz
September 5th, 2017, 07:00 AM
UNI doesn't suck as much as I thought they would.

That's neat.

Bisonator
September 5th, 2017, 08:25 AM
UNI doesn't suck as much as I thought they would.

That's neat.
So on the level of suckiness 0-10 they are ????

clenz
September 5th, 2017, 09:07 AM
So on the level of suckiness 0-10 they are ????
I'm going to redefine your scale so we are on the same page

Preseason I thought this was a 4-5 win team if Farley didn't put the correct offense in.
Preseason, with the right offense I thought it was a 7 win team...outside shot at 8 if we beat ISU win team.
After seeing highlights of the UNI/ISU game and hearing what others who were just as down on the program as I was said about the game I think this is a 8-9 win team, but 7 is in play.

There are 7 TE's listed on the roster
There are fullbacks listed for the first time in about a decade.
We completed 6 passes to TEs on Saturday - that used to be a full season worth of TE completions.

There wasn't a single zone read option run
Roughly 40% of the plays UNI ran were from under center - there were years previously where we didn't run our first non-goal line under center play until playoffs...that's a real stat
The offensive line is actually big and mean again - gone from a spread zone blocking scheme back to power
Defense only gave up 28 of the points

UNI's offense actually has a real offense box score vs Iowa State

20 rushes for 139 yards 6.95 yards per carry
23-38 passing for 260 yards and 3 TDs
9 different players caught a pass, 7 with multiple catches and 5 with at least 3 - compered to 3 in most games the last couple years
6.3 yards per play
45 yards per punt
3 touch-backs on 5 kickoffs (we used to not get 3 in a season)
3-3 on PATs - that was an adventure last year
1-2 on FGs - 43 yard make 49 yard miss. It's been a while since we had a FG kicker we could trust on 40+

Yes, Eli threw 3 picks, with 2 pick 6s, but two weren't on him actually. The first pick was a sailed throw - on him. The second hit the WR in the hands and bounced up to a defender and the third looks to have been a bad route.

UNI's defense is UNI's defense. It'll be good again.

A lot can still go wrong, but outside of the DSU's I'm pretty confident right now

Bisonator
September 5th, 2017, 09:10 AM
But when will Farley start playing musical QB's??? You know it's gonna happen.

clenz
September 5th, 2017, 09:20 AM
But when will Farley start playing musical QB's??? You know it's gonna happen.
I'm not sure it will.

There isn't another QB close enough to Dunne to warrant it.
There isn't a "big time" transfer that came in with the promise of the job like Bailey and Carnes.
There isn't patience left in the UNI fan base for that to happen - and Farley knows it
There isn't time enough for him to save his job if he pulls that again
There isn't another QB close to Dunne

We are in trouble if Dunne goes down though 5 QBs traveled to Iowa State because I'm not sure we have a true back up yet.