PDA

View Full Version : Better venues for the championship game

Pages : 1 [2] 3

PAllen
January 18th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Oh you mean like Frisco???

Two great airports...and incase you havent looked at a map of the united states lately...see below. DFW is about as centrally located as you can get. Jesus JMU makes it to one chipper and they start acting like little bitches.

I suppose we could have it in Branson???

http://www.world-guides.com/images/dallas/map1_dallas.jpg

I always get a kick out of maps like this. Branson? Really? If we are including cities of that size, then the entire northeast should just be covered in blue squares. Springfield, VA is a moderate suburb in Northern Virginia and it's three times that size. I have nothing against "flyover country", in fact, I've been campaigning for a move there for some time. But maps like this give a huge false impression. For all intents and purposes, nobody lives in large swaths west of the mississippi. Years ago, someone on here did a weighted average of I-AA schools and the centroid location was within a couple of miles of Bowling Green KY. Redoing it for only playoff conferences, it was still in Kentucky. When done with actual playoff participants, eastern kentucky. Finalists, southeastern kentucky. That data has obviously changed a bit since then, but playing anywhere west of DFW just doesn't make sense.

Weather takes anywhere north of 37N latitude out of the equation. The most important thing to consider however, is which city really wants to host the game. Add easy airport access, a few things to do beyond just the game (most cities meet this one without trying), and a nice stadium, and you're done. Frisco seems to only be lacking a bit in the stadium department, and I'm guessing that is only due to the renovations. .

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 10:27 AM
I always get a kick out of maps like this. Branson? Really? If we are including cities of that size, then the entire northeast should just be covered in blue squares. Springfield, VA is a moderate suburb in Northern Virginia and it's three times that size. I have nothing against "flyover country", in fact, I've been campaigning for a move there for some time. But maps like this give a huge false impression. For all intents and purposes, nobody lives in large swaths west of the mississippi. Years ago, someone on here did a weighted average of I-AA schools and the centroid location was within a couple of miles of Bowling Green KY. Redoing it for only playoff conferences, it was still in Kentucky. When done with actual playoff participants, eastern kentucky. Finalists, southeastern kentucky. That data has obviously changed a bit since then, but playing anywhere west of DFW just doesn't make sense.

Weather takes anywhere north of 37N latitude out of the equation. The most important thing to consider however, is which city really wants to host the game. Add easy airport access, a few things to do beyond just the game (most cities meet this one without trying), and a nice stadium, and you're done. Frisco seems to only be lacking a bit in the stadium department, and I'm guessing that is only due to the renovations. .
Yeah, that was me that did all those maps.

I still have them somewhere.

Notice how I've referenced them many times.

You have to try REALLY hard, and do a pretty good spin cycle, to justify moving the title game any further north/east of Chattanooga/Nashville/Lexington.

Frisco genuinely is a pretty good spot in terms of how the game is treated, how local bars react to the game, ease of access and relatively central location.

Southern Bison
January 18th, 2017, 10:58 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article124734829.html

If the Smith family (Sonic Automotive Group & Speedway Motorsports, Inc.) can get it built, it'll offer a good location for the FCS title game.

American Airlines Hub
Venue walking distance to Uptown
Plenty of hotel space
NASCAR Hall of Fame
Billy Graham Library
Hosted ACC championship & Belk Bowl in December

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kdinva
January 18th, 2017, 11:06 AM
If the Frisco stadium sat 26,000 or thereabouts, this thread may not have been started in the first place....

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 11:11 AM
If the Frisco stadium sat 26,000 or thereabouts, this thread may not have been started in the first place....
Probably not, which shows how silly the complaint against Frisco is.

JMU couldn't sell out a reduced capacity Toyota Stadium, and now their fans think a bigger stadium is needed for a title game?

Hell, JMU doesn't sell out their 25K seat stadium with regularity. If they can't get 25K to a home game regularly. They got less than 15K to a semi-final game on their own campus. The excuse was it was cold. The observed high in Harrisonburg the day of the national title game was the same temp as the temp durin the semi-final game. So by that logic, JMU wouldn't have sold out a national title game in their own stadium.

jmufan
January 18th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Probably not, which shows how silly the complaint against Frisco is.

JMU couldn't sell out a reduced capacity Toyota Stadium, and now their fans think a bigger stadium is needed for a title game?

Hell, JMU doesn't sell out their 25K seat stadium with regularity. If they can't get 25K to a home game regularly. They got less than 15K to a semi-final game on their own campus. The excuse was it was cold. The observed high in Harrisonburg the day of the national title game was the same temp as the temp durin the semi-final game. So by that logic, JMU wouldn't have sold out a national title game in their own stadium.
If the game was in Harrisonburg and JMU was playing in the title game it would be sold out. That is a big game the community would get behind. Frisco and other far places require a lot of money to get to.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Mayville Bison
January 18th, 2017, 11:45 AM
7 pages and not one #notastadium reference. Disappointing to say the least

Bison_Pyro
January 18th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Does the NCAA release the names of cities that actually bid on hosting? For all we know, Frisco might have been the only city in the country that even wanted the game..

ElCid
January 18th, 2017, 04:07 PM
This may have been discussed already (I wasn't going to read through all 26 pages), but I have another angle. I understand the need to have it set a ways out in order to plan, etc, but the game is THREE weeks after the semis. I really do not like the fact that it is set for one location over a period of time. Most enthusiasm is spontaneous and not scheduled. Why have a place set when the teams are not even decided yet. I know this flies in the face of everything that big money sports stands for (not that the FCS championship is big money), but think about it just a little.

YSU and JMU faced off nowhere near their fan bases. Why? So some Texas town can get some free $. Wouldn't it have been better to play in the Ohio, Penn, Maryland, Virginia area? Does anyone really think that you still couldn't get a plane ticket or hotel three weeks out. Let's take some extreme examples. What if next year the two teams in the Championship are EWU and Montana. Really want to play in Texas instead of the NW somewhere? What if it is The Citadel and CSU. Really think we need to play 1500 miles away instead of in Charleston. What if it were NDSU and ND. That would be neat to make them trudge all the way the Texas. What if were Lehigh and NH xlolx? Really think they need to go all the way to Texas? Now some of these would never happen due to regionalization, but you get the point.

I get the planning aspect of having it set months/years out, but awarding it to some place that has zero relevance to the teams in question is really hurting the image in my mind. Nobody in Texas cares about it (sans any Texas teams being in it), just face that fact. Add in regard to the weather, maybe it could still be placed in the lower half of the country or neutral domes in the north, but a least have it closer to the fans who care. A set of alternative sites which are neutral could be established throughout the country to accommodate this.

I know most of you will have a dozen reasons why this is not feasible, but the NCAA needs to think a little more out of the box on this one. Just thinking out loud.

citdog
January 18th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Does the NCAA release the names of cities that actually bid on hosting? For all we know, Frisco might have been the only city in the country that even wanted the game..

Google is your friend

dewey
January 18th, 2017, 04:58 PM
If the game was in Harrisonburg and JMU was playing in the title game it would be sold out. That is a big game the community would get behind. Frisco and other far places require a lot of money to get to.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Going to the National championship game requires a fair amount of money? No kidding.

Dewey

REALBird
January 18th, 2017, 05:02 PM
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Been to Frisco for the Natty back in 2015. Frisco was perfect in size, atmosphere, parking, and lots of crap to do in the DFW Metroplex. That was during a time when my employer the Big Red Insurance Company was relocating a lot of people from Normal to Richardson, Tx, just SE of Frisco. I'd have NO problem going back, and would probably just shack up with friends and work in Dallas all that week.

"Frisco was cool, but it was COLD"
Might I suggest moving the game just to the South and setting up shop in Houston, TX. Similar sized stadium, plenty to do and eat. I'm a believer that the game should stay in the Central Region of the Country, and while I'm not a fan of Yulman Stadium at Tulane it has the size, even if NOLA is down right scary.

"Not crazy about being outdoors in January"
St. Louis - pretty mild winters, big old dome sitting unused. City does a decent job of hosting the MVC Basketball Tournament and NCAA events for basketball. Not sure how much longer it's going to be around though without a full-time tenant. Wouldn't make any long term plans to host there, but might be worth a try when the contract is up for renewal.

"Darkhorse Location"
Ladd Pebbles Stadium - site of the Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL.
It's not going to knock your socks off by any means, and honestly I've never been to Mobile, AL. But I'd like to think the weather is a hellava lot nicer in early January. A little larger than needed, and flights would be a B*tch to get in an out unless you flew into NOLA and drove over. But honestly, the weather in Frisco was about as cold as I want to be for a friggin' football game. Even if my team was playing. I know that may have been an anomaly that year in 2015, but since I don't drink and couldn't numb myself from the weather I was cold a good two hours after the game ended and I was indoors. I'm getting older and I need better weather. LOL

Clenz, having been to MSU they do have some nice facilities, but that campus and the athletic facilities are so landlocked I couldn't see them hosting the game. They do have a nice little downtown area with a few trendy watering holes that I observed in my time passing through. But I'd definitely be in for the game, and out right after.

The worst part of my 2015 NC experience was the weather. It was freezing rain in Dallas when I left that next morning. Rained from the Oklahoma State Line all the way through to St. Louis, MO, then just on the other side of the Illinois border just South of Springfield, I ran into a snow storm. The last hour drive from Springfield, IL to Normal which takes about an hour in dry weather took almost 2 hours due to the weather and visibility. I told myself next time I'm flying.

citdog
January 18th, 2017, 05:07 PM
When The Citadel finishes the visitor side of General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium Charleston will submit a bid and probably win it. Cheap flights, best cuisine in the country, plenty of hotel rooms and lots to do. The Chipper has been at The General before.

cx500d
January 18th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I like going to new places man... same city 5 years in a row doesn't sound as fun as it could be... it like the family that rent the same beach house every year for vacation...For me I'll be at a new beach every year

When you've been here 5 years in a row come back and post something from a point of personal knowledge.

cx500d
January 18th, 2017, 06:25 PM
I mean if we want the perception of a filled stadium, why not just book a Kansas high school. It doesn't get more central than that.
That way roughly half of the Fcs fan bases can maybe fill it up.

Because we all saw the conditions at the Div2 Natty in KC. If thats what you want, I repeat Missoula - big stadium, skiing.

cx500d
January 18th, 2017, 06:27 PM
keep it in Frisco for a few reasons

don't want the town to overshadow the title game, Frisco allows fans to focus on what there in town for....

also, Heaven forbid they actually put the game in an interesting place and some of the MFVC fans decide not to go back home.....

True, us Texans want the yankees to go home when the game is done. We especially don't want any more east or west coasters.

PAllen
January 18th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Yeah, that was me that did all those maps.

I still have them somewhere.

Notice how I've referenced them many times.

You have to try REALLY hard, and do a pretty good spin cycle, to justify moving the title game any further north/east of Chattanooga/Nashville/Lexington.

Frisco genuinely is a pretty good spot in terms of how the game is treated, how local bars react to the game, ease of access and relatively central location.

Like I said, south of 37N (think Norfolk to Branson) and east of West Texas. With somewhere in Kentucky being the geographic centroid.

POD Knows
January 18th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Been to Frisco for the Natty back in 2015. Frisco was perfect in size, atmosphere, parking, and lots of crap to do in the DFW Metroplex. That was during a time when my employer the Big Red Insurance Company was relocating a lot of people from Normal to Richardson, Tx, just SE of Frisco. I'd have NO problem going back, and would probably just shack up with friends and work in Dallas all that week.

Might I suggest moving the game just to the South and setting up shop in Houston, TX. Similar sized stadium, plenty to do and eat. I'm a believer that the game should stay in the Central Region of the Country, and while I'm not a fan of Yulman Stadium at Tulane it has the size, even if NOLA is down right scary.

St. Louis - pretty mild winters, big old dome sitting unused. City does a decent job of hosting the MVC Basketball Tournament and NCAA events for basketball. Not sure how much longer it's going to be around though without a full-time tenant. Wouldn't make any long term plans to host there, but might be worth a try when the contract is up for renewal.

"Darkhorse Location"
It's not going to knock your socks off by any means, and honestly I've never been to Mobile, AL. But I'd like to think the weather is a hellava lot nicer in early January. A little larger than needed, and flights would be a B*tch to get in an out unless you flew into NOLA and drove over. But honestly, the weather in Frisco was about as cold as I want to be for a friggin' football game. Even if my team was playing. I know that may have been an anomaly that year in 2015, but since I don't drink and couldn't numb myself from the weather I was cold a good two hours after the game ended and I was indoors. I'm getting older and I need better weather. LOL

Clenz, having been to MSU they do have some nice facilities, but that campus and the athletic facilities are so landlocked I couldn't see them hosting the game. They do have a nice little downtown area with a few trendy watering holes that I observed in my time passing through. But I'd definitely be in for the game, and out right after.

The worst part of my 2015 NC experience was the weather. It was freezing rain in Dallas when I left that next morning. Rained from the Oklahoma State Line all the way through to St. Louis, MO, then just on the other side of the Illinois border just South of Springfield, I ran into a snow storm. The last hour drive from Springfield, IL to Normal which takes about an hour in dry weather took almost 2 hours due to the weather and visibility. I told myself next time I'm flying.

East St Louis and St. Louis are #1 and #4 respectively in murder rates in the USA. St. Louis is as bad or worse than NOLA. One time I was at a business meeting in St Louis, right downtown at the Adams Mark, or whatever the hell it is, we took a cab across the river to East St Louis and when to a stripper bar, there was a dead guy in front of the bar surrounded by cops and crime tape, murder victim. We just went ahead and walked into the bar, just another normal night on the east side, didn't seem like a big deal. They didn't even close the bar. The guy was about 20 feet from the front door.

cx500d
January 18th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Going to the National championship game requires a fair amount of money? No kidding.

Dewey

Not for me. $50 for ticket and 2 gallons (for margin) of gas in the tank. Rely on tailgaters for beer. Thats why I'm pro-Frisco (or SMU stadium). Of course I would go anywhere if my school was in it, even...gasp.....California.

cx500d
January 18th, 2017, 06:40 PM

"Darkhorse Location"

Weather is hit or miss. Two days after the game it was 70. Three days later it was pushing 80.

PAllen
January 18th, 2017, 06:41 PM
This may have been discussed already (I wasn't going to read through all 26 pages), but I have another angle. I understand the need to have it set a ways out in order to plan, etc, but the game is THREE weeks after the semis. I really do not like the fact that it is set for one location over a period of time. Most enthusiasm is spontaneous and not scheduled. Why have a place set when the teams are not even decided yet. I know this flies in the face of everything that big money sports stands for (not that the FCS championship is big money), but think about it just a little.

YSU and JMU faced off nowhere near their fan bases. Why? So some Texas town can get some free $. Wouldn't it have been better to play in the Ohio, Penn, Maryland, Virginia area? Does anyone really think that you still couldn't get a plane ticket or hotel three weeks out. Let's take some extreme examples. What if next year the two teams in the Championship are EWU and Montana. Really want to play in Texas instead of the NW somewhere? What if it is The Citadel and CSU. Really think we need to play 1500 miles away instead of in Charleston. What if it were NDSU and ND. That would be neat to make them trudge all the way the Texas. What if were Lehigh and NH xlolx? Really think they need to go all the way to Texas? Now some of these would never happen due to regionalization, but you get the point.

I get the planning aspect of having it set months/years out, but awarding it to some place that has zero relevance to the teams in question is really hurting the image in my mind. Nobody in Texas cares about it (sans any Texas teams being in it), just face that fact. Add in regard to the weather, maybe it could still be placed in the lower half of the country or neutral domes in the north, but a least have it closer to the fans who care. A set of alternative sites which are neutral could be established throughout the country to accommodate this.

I know most of you will have a dozen reasons why this is not feasible, but the NCAA needs to think a little more out of the box on this one. Just thinking out loud.

Not sure Morgantown would have been a hit, but I see your point. What I don't like about your suggestion of multiple potential sites is the really weak presentation that each of those cities would produce on less than three weeks notice.

cx500d
January 18th, 2017, 06:43 PM

"Darkhorse Location"

I went to flight school in Pensacola, FL not too far from Mobile. Mobile is alright. Their big thing during Mardis Gras is throwing out moon pies. That's my main recollection of Mobile.

Bisonator
January 19th, 2017, 08:37 AM

It's all about the money. The NCAA doesn't really care how many tickets they sell or how many people actually show up. They care about how much the site is willing to pony up to host the event. That's worth way more then any ticket sales. Maybe your idea could work but I would think it would take more then 3 weeks to get the logistics worked out. There's way more involved then just figuring out which 2 teams are going to be playing.

Gil Dobie
January 19th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Rather deal with suburbs than downtown Orlando traffic.

FAU Stadium would be a great vacation destination for western or northern teams fans.

Seats 30,000, plenty of parking for tailgaters.
http://coacheshotseat.com/chsblog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/FAUStadium.jpg

caribbeanhen
January 19th, 2017, 09:07 AM

Yes! Perfect... May cold weather warm up a bit in hell..... Boca Raton works!

RootinFerDukes
January 19th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but does anyone know what the specific stadium that the city of Little Rock was proposing when they put in a bid back in 2009? I am curious to know what they brought to the table since they were a city that actually put their hat in the ring. Talking about cities that haven't put in a bid is somewhat pointless unless you can convince their mayor to step up to the plate.

I like that FAU stadium and I guess if it means a better location and biggest possible reasonably sized stadium (20-30k range), I'm somewhat open to putting it in an FBS team's stadium. Those who think it'll affect perception of FCS in any notable positive or negative direction to play in an FBS stadium are kidding themselves.

The FCS title game would be the largest crowd to show up to FAU's stadium every year. Owl fans know it's true.

UNIFanSince1983
January 19th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but does anyone know what the specific stadium that the city of Little Rock was proposing when they put in a bid back in 2009? I am curious to know what they brought to the table since they were a city that actually put their hat in the ring. Talking about cities that haven't put in a bid is somewhat pointless unless you can convince their mayor to step up to the plate.

I like that FAU stadium and I guess if it means a better location and biggest possible reasonably sized stadium (20-30k range), I'm somewhat open to putting it in an FBS team's stadium. Those who think it'll affect perception of FCS in any notable positive or negative direction to play in an FBS stadium are kidding themselves.

The FCS title game would be the largest crowd to show up to FAU's stadium every year. Owl fans know it's true.

Not with Lane Kiffin there now. ;)

Bisonoline
January 19th, 2017, 12:03 PM

I wont pull my tailgate rig that far. The trip is supposed to be fun. Orlando is 600 miles further than Frisco.

Bisonoline
January 19th, 2017, 12:09 PM
It's all about the money. The NCAA doesn't really care how many tickets they sell or how many people actually show up. They care about how much the site is willing to pony up to host the event. That's worth way more then any ticket sales. Maybe your idea could work but I would think it would take more then 3 weeks to get the logistics worked out. There's way more involved then just figuring out which 2 teams are going to be playing.

The NCAA is all about selling tickets. They dont care how its done they just want them all gone. This is obvious by the way they have handled ticket sales the last 7 years.

POD Knows
January 19th, 2017, 12:19 PM
I wont pull my tailgate rig that far. The trip is supposed to be fun. Orlando is 600 miles further than Frisco.

Yea, most would fly and we would be tailgating out of the trunks of our rental cars, the tailgate would be lame as **** but the weather and location would be nice. Just getting a tent/canopy put up would be a logistical hassle for most people. That is assuming we ever make it again.

Thumper 76
January 19th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Yea, most would fly and we would be tailgating out of the trunks of our rental cars, the tailgate would be lame as **** but the weather and location would be nice. Just getting a tent/canopy put up would be a logistical hassle for most people. That is assuming we ever make it again.

Bet it would be easier with an RV to make it happen xcoffeex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gil Dobie
January 19th, 2017, 12:30 PM
The NCAA is all about selling tickets. They dont care how its done they just want them all gone. This is obvious by the way they have handled ticket sales the last 7 years.

It is actually closer for many other FCS schools.

Bisonator
January 19th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Does the NCAA make more money from the bid to host the game or ticket sales?

POD Knows
January 19th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Bet it would be easier with an RV to make it happen xcoffeex

Damn, you sure know how to hurt a guy.

Bisonoline
January 19th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Does the NCAA make more money from the bid to host the game or ticket sales?

Dont know.

But they made more money at 75.00 a ticket and being 4,000 seats short than they did is previous years.

I know that in the first year we were there I bought our tickets through the stadium ticket office. After that it changed to a NCAA contractor.

Thumper 76
January 19th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Damn, you sure know how to hurt a guy.

I'm just saying it's a selling point xlolx

caribbeanhen
January 19th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Better take another look at your rand McNally

cx500d
January 19th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Better take another look at your rand McNally

Bro, based on the town listed on his profile thats about right. I guess when your state is the size of a county you aren't very good at estimating distance.

Bisonoline
January 19th, 2017, 07:14 PM
It is actually closer for many other FCS schools.

Dont care. They aint going.:D

caribbeanhen
January 20th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Bro, based on the town listed on his profile thats about right. I guess when your state is the size of a county you aren't very good at estimating distance.

I wasn't talking about the distance, he was quoting a picture of the FAU stadium in Boca Raton and measuring distance to Orlando... just didn't want him to show up in the wrong city on game day.

clenz
January 20th, 2017, 08:34 AM
I wasn't talking about the distance, he was quoting a picture of the FAU stadium in Boca Raton and measuring distance to Orlando... just didn't want him to show up in the wrong city on game day.Point is still valid...even more so.

It's something like 1,070 miles from his location to Frisco and about 1,700 to Orlando and nearly 1,900 to FAU's stadium....

PAllen
January 20th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Boca is definitely not a suburb of Orlando.

caribbeanhen
January 20th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Point is still valid...even more so.

It's something like 1,070 miles from his location to Frisco and about 1,700 to Orlando and nearly 1,900 to FAU's stadium....

you missed the point

cx500d
January 20th, 2017, 09:25 AM
I wasn't talking about the distance, he was quoting a picture of the FAU stadium in Boca Raton and measuring distance to Orlando... just didn't want him to show up in the wrong city on game day.

You sir, are a great American making sure a brother doesn't get lost.

UNIFanSince1983
January 20th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Would love to visit Del Boca Vista while at the game ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPh9Lnfkn-I

cx500d
January 20th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Would love to visit Del Boca Vista while at the game ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPh9Lnfkn-I

Phase 1 or phase 2?

ValleyTalk
January 22nd, 2017, 08:09 PM
Outside of the weather, I still think Canton, OH, home of the Pro Football HOF would be a neat venue for the title. Fawcett Stadium was demo'd for the new Tom Benson Stadium at th HOF. The Ohio HS State Championships will return to Canton in 2017 after being at the Shoe the past few seasons.

http://www.psam.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/bird-eye_no-logo-900x528.jpg

http://www.hksinc.com/wp-content/uploads/south-concourse_no-logo.jpg

Redbird007
January 22nd, 2017, 08:40 PM
Outside of the weather, I still think Canton, OH, home of the Pro Football HOF would be a neat venue for the title. Fawcett Stadium was demo'd for the new Tom Benson Stadium at th HOF. The Ohio HS State Championships will return to Canton in 2017 after being at the Shoe the past few seasons.

http://www.psam.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/bird-eye_no-logo-900x528.jpg

http://www.hksinc.com/wp-content/uploads/south-concourse_no-logo.jpg

been there and that is a beat up area. They should be yanking the Hall of Fame out of that area and moving it to Frisco or Orlando

BadlandsGrizFan
January 23rd, 2017, 04:39 PM
Why does nobody want the game in Washington Grizzly and take in the best venue in the FCS????? Just kidding...natty game in the winter in the Rockies is not a good idea. But one could dream...

Grizalltheway
January 23rd, 2017, 05:55 PM
Why does nobody want the game in Washington Grizzly and take in the best venue in the FCS????? Just kidding...natty game in the winter in the Rockies is not a good idea. But one could dream...

We'll get that retractable roof some day...

cx500d
January 23rd, 2017, 06:31 PM

I frequently mentioned in here I'm up for a chipper in Missoula, but I have an ulterior motive to get some skiing in also.

bisonnation
January 24th, 2017, 11:48 PM
Been to Frisco 5 times and the weather flat out sucks. It's been nice once. I thought 2 years ago was the worst ever but it looks like you guys got snow. Sorry but to encourage fans from anywhere north to come.. Decent weather helps. Also the stadium is solid but unspectacular . Mediocre grass one year. Mediocre video boards and sound system. Half the teams in the Missouri Valley have better.

RootinFerDukes
January 25th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Been to Frisco 5 times and the weather flat out sucks. It's been nice once. I thought 2 years ago was the worst ever but it looks like you guys got snow. Sorry but to encourage fans from anywhere north to come.. Decent weather helps. Also the stadium is solid but unspectacular . Mediocre grass one year. Mediocre video boards and sound system. Half the teams in the Missouri Valley have better.

I don't disagree with you and this is fairly reflective of my opinion of the venue. You have to be careful though. The AGS message board rulers don't like Frisco or it's mediocre at best venue to be criticized. It's further west than Chattanooga and dammit, that's all that matters.

Like you said, you can find many FCS stadiums that are about the same size but have a bit more to offer.

It's january. The weather will probably suck everywhere outside of Florida or Arizona. It has been blah and cold five of the last six seasons though, despite being in Texas.

Bisonoline
January 26th, 2017, 01:00 AM
Yep the weather has been a tad on the nippy side. :D I think there was only one year where the weather ok when we were down there.

Penguin Nation
January 26th, 2017, 08:11 AM
My 0.02. My daughter goes to FAU. Their stadium is perfect. Just recently built, good weather nearly guaranteed, easy airport access. It's the only D1 FB stadium where you can see the ocean from the upper stands. Lots to do in the surrounding area. My advice, stay in South Beach and Uber or Lyft to the stadium. Hit the nearby Hard Rock hotel and casino and maybe even stay there. One of the best swimming pools anywhere. Go on an everglades airboat tour and see Kennedy Space Center. Only negative is the traffic, which can get really bad "in season."

PurpleStreamers
January 26th, 2017, 11:52 AM
My 0.02. My daughter goes to FAU. Their stadium is perfect. Just recently built, good weather nearly guaranteed, easy airport access. It's the only D1 FB stadium where you can see the ocean from the upper stands. Lots to do in the surrounding area. My advice, stay in South Beach and Uber or Lyft to the stadium. Hit the nearby Hard Rock hotel and casino and maybe even stay there. One of the best swimming pools anywhere. Go on an everglades airboat tour and see Kennedy Space Center. Only negative is the traffic, which can get really bad "in season."

Love this idea for all the reasons you stated, but I'd think any stadium that is "on-campus" (I don't know whether FAU is or not?) is not worth the hassle. This was a good thing about Chatty - the stadium was disconnected from campus so it didn't feel like you were just hanging out on someone else's campus.

Penguin Nation
January 26th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Love this idea for all the reasons you stated, but I'd think any stadium that is "on-campus" (I don't know whether FAU is or not?) is not worth the hassle. This was a good thing about Chatty - the stadium was disconnected from campus so it didn't feel like you were just hanging out on someone else's campus.

It is on campus, but on the edge and partially surrounded by a wildlife area with walking/jogging trails. On the other side is a grassy field for tailgating as well as parking lots for additional tailgating. FWIW, classes began January 9th this year, days after the Natty.

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 12:22 PM
From the Home Side of General Johnson Hagood Stadium in Charleston one can see the Atlantic. So your claim about FAU's stadium is "fake news".

clenz
January 26th, 2017, 12:28 PM
From the Home Side of General Johnson Hagood Stadium in Charleston one can see the Atlantic. So your claim about FAU's stadium is "fake news".
I suppose in person it's different, but Google's 3D maps doesn't make it seem all that promising

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Johnson+Hagood+Memorial+Stadium/@32.794018,-79.9572797,32a,20y,120.25h,83.81t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fe7a4ed77461ef:0xe95b7 fc88591934d!8m2!3d32.7936975!4d-79.9558183

clenz
January 26th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Also, judging from the photos attatched to the stadium on Google, it doesn't seem like you can

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Johnson+Hagood+Memorial+Stadium/@32.7934362,-79.9558348,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s-hJqT98I62do%2FWB40aHqPBII%2FAAAAAAAANt0%2FK7N2JhGy PMobKY77RMJrSLGOp-_sXqMoACLIB!2e4!3e12!6s%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent .com%2F-hJqT98I62do%2FWB40aHqPBII%2FAAAAAAAANt0%2FK7N2JhGy PMobKY77RMJrSLGOp-_sXqMoACLIB%2Fs203-k-no%2F!7i5312!8i2988!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fe7a4ed77461ef:0 xe95b7fc88591934d!8m2!3d32.7936975!4d-79.9558183!6m1!1e1

To be fair, Google doesn't have the area around FAU's stadium 3d rendered so I can't check that, and none of the attatched photos give me a good review of if we can actually see the ocean

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Also, judging from the photos attatched to the stadium on Google, it doesn't seem like you can

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Johnson+Hagood+Memorial+Stadium/@32.7934362,-79.9558348,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s-hJqT98I62do%2FWB40aHqPBII%2FAAAAAAAANt0%2FK7N2JhGy PMobKY77RMJrSLGOp-_sXqMoACLIB!2e4!3e12!6s%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent .com%2F-hJqT98I62do%2FWB40aHqPBII%2FAAAAAAAANt0%2FK7N2JhGy PMobKY77RMJrSLGOp-_sXqMoACLIB%2Fs203-k-no%2F!7i5312!8i2988!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fe7a4ed77461ef:0 xe95b7fc88591934d!8m2!3d32.7936975!4d-79.9558183!6m1!1e1

You see that crane? That's the Port of Charleston. If one looks directly ahead instead of to the side the Cooper River Bridge is visible. From the Visitor Side one can see the Ashley and the Marina. Those rivers meet to "form the atlantic ocean" at the Battery.

clenz
January 26th, 2017, 12:36 PM
You see that crane? That's the Port of Charleston. If one looks directly ahead instead of to the side the Cooper River Bridge is visible. From the Visitor Side one can see the Ashley and the Marina. Those rivers meet to "form the atlantic ocean" at the Battery.
So, you can't actually see the ocean but you can see tall buildings/cranes/bridges by the ocean?

The bridge

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Johnson+Hagood+Memorial+Stadium/@32.7934362,-79.9558348,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s-FKQpfOEKUAs%2FWB43_lRMqxI%2FAAAAAAAAyVg%2FEXRpdHOM qbk9HP0fFsbJY2BWI-O3dKXdQCLIB!2e4!3e12!6s%2F%2Flh6.googleusercontent .com%2F-FKQpfOEKUAs%2FWB43_lRMqxI%2FAAAAAAAAyVg%2FEXRpdHOM qbk9HP0fFsbJY2BWI-O3dKXdQCLIB%2Fs203-k-no%2F!7i4048!8i3036!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fe7a4ed77461ef:0 xe95b7fc88591934d!8m2!3d32.7936975!4d-79.9558183!6m1!1e1

Again, to be fair I can't confirm the claim to FAU either.

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 12:40 PM
So, you can't actually see the ocean but you can see tall buildings/cranes/bridges by the ocean?

The bridge

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Johnson+Hagood+Memorial+Stadium/@32.7934362,-79.9558348,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s-FKQpfOEKUAs%2FWB43_lRMqxI%2FAAAAAAAAyVg%2FEXRpdHOM qbk9HP0fFsbJY2BWI-O3dKXdQCLIB!2e4!3e12!6s%2F%2Flh6.googleusercontent .com%2F-FKQpfOEKUAs%2FWB43_lRMqxI%2FAAAAAAAAyVg%2FEXRpdHOM qbk9HP0fFsbJY2BWI-O3dKXdQCLIB%2Fs203-k-no%2F!7i4048!8i3036!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fe7a4ed77461ef:0 xe95b7fc88591934d!8m2!3d32.7936975!4d-79.9558183!6m1!1e1

Again, to be fair I can't confirm the claim to FAU either.

I think you have a Midwesteners understanding of what the 'Ocean' is. It ain't just the beach with breaking waves and sand.

clenz
January 26th, 2017, 12:45 PM
I think you have a Midwesteners understanding of what the 'Ocean' is. It ain't just the beach with breaking waves and sand.
This

isn't seeing the ocean.

That's no different than looking towards downtown Brookings from SDSU's stadium.

Bisonator
January 26th, 2017, 12:49 PM
The only place the weather wouldn't be chilly in January would be Florida, Arizona or Southern California. Not a ton of choices out there if you are looking for sunny sky's and mid 70's.

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 12:51 PM
From the top of The General one can see this.

The stadium is 500 yards from this spot.

http://scgreatoutdoors.com/photos/park-brittlebank-photo-02.jpeg

Charleston is as flat as a pancake. Next time i am down I will take a pic from the top of the Home Side and Visitor side and add to Google!

Penguin Nation
January 26th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Since you are the actual fake news, I'll call you CNNdog.

"The stadium has 32 loge boxes and 24 suites, and the skybox and press box allows for a view of the Atlantic Ocean, which is the only stadium in the nation that can claim that."

http://www.fausports.com/facilities/footballstadium.html

You can see the blue stuff on the horizon...barely...but its there.

https://owlpix.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/owlblog042811.jpg

Penguin Nation
January 26th, 2017, 01:10 PM
If seeing a bridge and a crane = seeing the ocean, then you can see "the ocean" from YSU's stadium. xsmiley_wix

Bisonator
January 26th, 2017, 01:27 PM
If seeing a bridge and a crane = seeing the ocean, then you can see "the ocean" from YSU's stadium. xsmiley_wix

Oh yeah, well if it wasn't for the Rockies and Appalachians you could see the oceans from Fargo!:p

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 01:30 PM

The street at the top horizontally runs right into the Ashley River 500yards away. There are no structures taller than the stadium. So you don't think you can see the Ashley? The Ashley and the Cooper meet in another half of a mile to the left. There are also no structures taller than the stadium in that direction either.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VjnmarecbdM/TLHCHGlnkFI/AAAAAAAABGg/lskdE0tnzpI/s1600/John+007.JPG

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 01:38 PM
The curve where it says Lockwood Blvd is on the Ashley..

http://www.citadel.edu/root/images/old_imgs/main/stories/campusbig.gif

clenz
January 26th, 2017, 01:51 PM
So, you can see a river...

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 01:54 PM
So, you can see a river...

And you can also see where that river and the Cooper meet to form the Atlantic Ocean. No breakers, no beach, just the ocean...

bostonspider
January 26th, 2017, 02:16 PM
I think you mean "join" the Atlantic Ocean not form. Pretty sure that the Ashley and Cooper rivers join to form Charleston Harbor, which leads to the Atlantic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Charlestonriversmap.png/800px-Charlestonriversmap.png

bostonspider
January 26th, 2017, 02:20 PM
https://photos.smugmug.com/CharlestonAerials/Historic-Charleston-SC/i-LbvZN9g/4/L/DSC_6138-Edit-L.jpg

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 02:24 PM
I think you mean "join" the Atlantic Ocean not form. Pretty sure that the Ashley and Cooper rivers join to form Charleston Harbor, which leads to the Atlantic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Charlestonriversmap.png/800px-Charlestonriversmap.png

You are obviously not familiar with the arrogance of Charlestonians.

http://www.sciway.net/city/charleston.html

clenz
January 26th, 2017, 02:25 PM
https://photos.smugmug.com/CharlestonAerials/Historic-Charleston-SC/i-LbvZN9g/4/L/DSC_6138-Edit-L.jpg
Great.

That, if it can be seen from the stadium and isn't blocked by buildings, isn't the ocean.

Thumper 76
January 26th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Great.

That, if it can be seen from the stadium and isn't blocked by buildings, isn't the ocean.

Zero chance you can see that through the buildings. If a real estate agent tried to sell me property that had "ocean views" and that's what it was I would slap the piss out of them.

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Zero chance you can see that through the buildings. If a real estate agent tried to sell me property that had "ocean views" and that's what it was I would slap the piss out of them.

From the top of the home side looking directly backward from the field you can see the Ashley River. If you look to your right you see the ocean.

Penguin Nation
January 26th, 2017, 03:42 PM
I think this map will put this issue to rest.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Johnson+Hagood+Memorial+Stadium/@32.7737814,-79.9236318,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fe7a4ed77461ef:0xe95b7fc885919 34d!8m2!3d32.7936975!4d-79.9558183

clenz
January 26th, 2017, 04:09 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Johnson+Hagood+Memorial+Stadium/@32.7737814,-79.9236318,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fe7a4ed77461ef:0xe95b7fc885919 34d!8m2!3d32.7936975!4d-79.9558183
It doesn't.

I've linked to 3D renderings from the stadium. I've linked to photos taken from the top of the stadium.

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 04:12 PM

Yep! I am correct.

Penguin Nation
January 26th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Wait what? The map shows you may possibly see the river, but you'd have to see through a whole town/tons of concrete to see the harbor. The ocean?....NFW.

citdog
January 26th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Wait what? The map shows you may possibly see the river, but you'd have to see through a whole town/tons of concrete to see the harbor. The ocean?....NFW.

The harbor is what? A fresh water lake? That is the Atlantic Ocean. All of that concrete is not as tall as the stadium. Charleston has a law that no building can be taller than the steeples of the churches. General Hagood's House is an exception...

Penguin Nation
January 26th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Look at the satellite image. Maybe if you take out a mile and a half of buildings, you may see the harbor. I'm not convinced you even see the river.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Johnson+Hagood+Memorial+Stadium/@32.775766,-79.9504968,6026m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fe7a4ed77461ef:0xe95b7 fc88591934d!8m2!3d32.7936975!4d-79.9558183!6m1!1e1

PAllen
January 26th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Can you see Ft moultrie or Ft Sumter from the stands? That will tell whether you can see the ocean or not.

UAalum72
January 26th, 2017, 06:06 PM
If Charleston Harbor counts as the ocean, Wagner College also has a claim. The college is one mile from Upper New York Bay, and the Lower Bay begins just past the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

http://www.usnews.com/img/college-photo_2106.jpg

Of course, FAU could rationalize that Seahawks Stadium is "not a stadium"

Bisonoline
January 26th, 2017, 07:54 PM
The harbor is what? A fresh water lake? That is the Atlantic Ocean. All of that concrete is not as tall as the stadium. Charleston has a law that no building can be taller than the steeples of the churches. General Hagood's House is an exception...

That doesnt work. The harbor is more a part of one of the rivers than the ocean.

DoWe
January 27th, 2017, 12:49 AM
That doesnt work. The harbor is more a part of one of the rivers than the ocean.
There are Dolphins in that "river". That changes things.

Bisonoline
January 27th, 2017, 01:26 AM
There are Dolphins in that "river". That changes things.

It does?

DoWe
January 27th, 2017, 02:25 AM
It does?
Maybe not, but I think that makes it a marine environment. Otherwise, Chucktown is an extremely touristy city that appeals to folks that have never been there before. It's especially especially appealing in late fall through early spring. The rest of the year it's a hot, humid hellhole.

Bisonoline
January 27th, 2017, 02:32 AM
Maybe not, but I think that makes it a marine environment. Otherwise, Chucktown is an extremely touristy city that appeals to folks that have never been there before. It's especially especially appealing in late fall through early spring. The rest of the year it's a hot, humid hellhole.

Wow cant put anything over on you. If its got alot of water its a marine environment.:D But if you are referring to salt water species in the harbor you will find that in any harbor depending on wind direction and wind speed vs river current will have a bearing on the salinity of the harbor and inland waters like the rivers and bays.

RootinFerDukes
January 27th, 2017, 07:13 AM
The moral of the story folks is that if your stadium has a sliver of a view from one tippy top angle of any body of water that eventually feeds into an ocean, you can claim you have an ocean view.

Start over-inflating your beach front property in Kansas folks. It'll be beach front property any year now anyways.

Bisonator
January 27th, 2017, 08:00 AM
The moral of the story folks is that if your stadium has a sliver of a view from one tippy top angle of any body of water that eventually feeds into an ocean, you can claim you have an ocean view.

Start over-inflating your beach front property in Kansas folks. It'll be beach front property any year now anyways.
Sweet we got the Red River, which leads to the Hudson Bay, so we got that going for us, which is nice.:D

clenz
January 27th, 2017, 08:09 AM
There have been bull sharks found as far north as the Iowa/Illinois boarder in the Mississippi.

A National Geographic article posted on Oct. 28, 2010, said, "Bull sharks have traveled up the Mississippi River as far north as Illinois …"

Technically speaking they were found by Ashton, IL, which is quite a ways inland into Illinois - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ashton,+IL+61006/@41.5739877,-90.498751,9.1z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88091ce592302b97:0x8df4c1892ddd8 1c4!8m2!3d41.8661417!4d-89.2212088 - like about halfway between Iowa and Chicago into Illinois right off of I88. That means not only did they sruvive the MI River, they survived the Rock River, which is smaller than the Cedar and Iowa Rivers. Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City are subject to potential shark attacks at this point.

I guess Iowa is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean then. The Mississippi flows into the Gulf which flows to the Atlantic.

To make it UNI specific - The Cedar River could be seen if we stood on the highest point of the UNIDome (probably....maybe...at the very least a bridge support). The Cedar River meets with the Iowa River by Fredonia and Columbus Junction, IA. That then flows into the Mississippi at New Boston, IL. That then flows to the Gulf, then to the Atlantic

ST_Lawson
January 27th, 2017, 08:31 AM
There have been bull sharks found as far north as the Iowa/Illinois boarder in the Mississippi.

Technically speaking they were found by Ashton, IL, which is quite a ways inland into Illinois - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ashton,+IL+61006/@41.5739877,-90.498751,9.1z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88091ce592302b97:0x8df4c1892ddd8 1c4!8m2!3d41.8661417!4d-89.2212088 - like about halfway between Iowa and Chicago into Illinois right off of I88. That means not only did they sruvive the MI River, they survived the Rock River, which is smaller than the Cedar and Iowa Rivers. Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City are subject to potential shark attacks at this point.

I guess Iowa is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean then. The Mississippi flows into the Gulf which flows to the Atlantic.

To make it UNI specific - The Cedar River could be seen if we stood on the highest point of the UNIDome (probably....maybe...at the very least a bridge support). The Cedar River meets with the Iowa River by Fredonia and Columbus Junction, IA. That then flows into the Mississippi at New Boston, IL. That then flows to the Gulf, then to the Atlantic

Awesome...I can get in on this now then. Top of Hanson Field (and if it weren't for the trees), you could see the Lamoine River (https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4711798,-90.6871509,16.25z)...which feeds into the Illinois River (https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9861369,-90.5084075,15z) (where you can play "dodge the jumping carp") and from there you can get to the Mississippi (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9564739,-90.4334937,13.25z) and out to the Gulf.

Penguin Nation
January 27th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Mahoning River on your left, Ice castle on your right. You can practically feel the ocean spray in the stands.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oSDEzE5GWiE/TgvAH6pUk7I/AAAAAAAACjU/_0919UEna9Q/s1600/2011_0625_40I-FKL-BFD_YoungstownOH_Small.jpg

Cocky
January 27th, 2017, 09:26 AM
https://www.reference.com/geography/differences-between-ocean-sea-bay-gulf-5af5de6e23295e97

But this could be "fake news" as most media or references now make the definition fit their believes.

clenz
January 27th, 2017, 10:26 AM
https://www.reference.com/geography/differences-between-ocean-sea-bay-gulf-5af5de6e23295e97

But this could be "fake news" as most media or references now make the definition fit their believes.
There is quite the topic on this somewhere on CS.

Long thread made short, things like the GoM or the harbor in Charleston aren't the Atlantic ocean. They might meet the Ocean, but they aren't the ocean.

Same situation with the Panama Canal. Everything things it connections the Atlantic and Pacific. It doesn't. It connects the Caribbean to the Panama Gulf

Sycamore62
January 27th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Dont worry, global warming is going to make the stadium under the Atlantic.

RootinFerDukes
January 27th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Sweet we got the Red River, which leads to the Hudson Bay, so we got that going for us, which is nice.:D

Damn nobody told me the Fargo Dome has a view of the Arctic Ocean! Wait.... there's a roof on that sucker, how do you know you have a view?

Bisonoline
January 28th, 2017, 12:33 AM
Dont worry, global warming is going to make the stadium under the Atlantic.

That area has been under water before.

caribbeanhen
January 28th, 2017, 07:20 AM
you guys wouldn't know the ocean if you were standing in ithttp://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24462&stc=1

citdog
January 28th, 2017, 02:30 PM
you guys wouldn't know the ocean if you were standing in ithttp://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24462&stc=1

Although Jewish I am not a magician like the Carpenter.

caribbeanhen
January 28th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Although Jewish I am not a magician like the Carpenter.

haha, I tried to walk on the water but my feet were firmly in the seabed for that shot

alvin.kmiec
January 29th, 2017, 06:47 PM
The only place the weather wouldn't be chilly in January would be Florida, Arizona or Southern California. Not a ton of choices out there if you are looking for sunny sky's and mid 70's.

Hawaii.🤠😜

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 29th, 2017, 08:02 PM
If there's any city in America where you might get a decent local turnout, it's Atlanta.

1. It's basically the College Football capital of America. There's a reason the College Football HoF is there.

2. There's no one college football team (including even UGA) that really has a stranglehold on the fan loyalty of local people (see #1). Atlanta has been described as the UN of college football. That's fairly accurate.

3. Multiple good venues. You don't even need to have the Benz dome, Bobby Dodd Stadium is actually a really good venue and even Georgia State (yes, that Georgia State) will have a decent stadium starting this year.

4. Atlanta is actually one of the less-interesting large cities in America, which is an advantage. You put the NCG in a place where there's lots of things to do (e.g. Vegas) the game won't have as much of draw.

5. It's in the east. Let's face it, barring NDSU the east coast still has more FCS teams and more top FCS programs than the midwest and west. And no reason to think NDSU and Montana fans won't travel there in decent numbers.

ST_Lawson
January 30th, 2017, 07:39 AM
If there's any city in America where you might get a decent local turnout, it's Atlanta.

1. It's basically the College Football capital of America. There's a reason the College Football HoF is there.

2. There's no one college football team (including even UGA) that really has a stranglehold on the fan loyalty of local people (see #1). Atlanta has been described as the UN of college football. That's fairly accurate.

3. Multiple good venues. You don't even need to have the Benz dome, Bobby Dodd Stadium is actually a really good venue and even Georgia State (yes, that Georgia State) will have a decent stadium starting this year.

4. Atlanta is actually one of the less-interesting large cities in America, which is an advantage. You put the NCG in a place where there's lots of things to do (e.g. Vegas) the game won't have as much of draw.

5. It's in the east. Let's face it, barring NDSU the east coast still has more FCS teams and more top FCS programs than the midwest and west. And no reason to think NDSU and Montana fans won't travel there in decent numbers.

That's not a bad location either. And if you're talking about a place that's fairly easy to get flights to...pretty much every major airport, and a large number of the smaller regional ones fly into ATL-Hartsfield.

DFW HOYA
January 30th, 2017, 08:09 AM

The same argument could be made (and may have been made) with Dallas-Ft. Worth.

2. There's no one college football team that really has a stranglehold on the fan loyalty of local people.

3. Multiple good venues. You don't even need to have [Jerry World]. Others [Cotton Bowl, Amon Carter Stadium, Gerald J. Ford Stadium, Toyota Stadium, even Frisco's Ford Center] will have a decent stadium .

4. Dallas is also one of the less-interesting large cities in America, which sounds like a backhanded compliment.

Cocky
January 30th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Just needs to be indoors or warm.

AmsterBison
January 30th, 2017, 09:08 AM

Hahaha! I'm not sure that I've ever seen a group of people look colder than JSU fans did at the National Championship game, but I'm guessing the temp would have been OK if there hadn't been a breeze (and more sun would have helped too.)

Rain affects the game more than wind, and wind affects the game more than temperature - as long as we're not talking extremes, of course.

Cocky
January 30th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Hahaha! I'm not sure that I've ever seen a group of people look colder than JSU fans did at the National Championship game, but I'm guessing the temp would have been OK if there hadn't been a breeze (and more sun would have helped too.)

Rain affects the game more than wind, and wind affects the game more than temperature - as long as we're not talking extremes, of course.

FBS championship games uses this in most cases and the same should be applied to FCS. Most people want to be comfortable when using their vacation days to view a game. Plus it would increase the casual fan interest.

AmsterBison
January 30th, 2017, 11:08 AM
FBS championship games uses this in most cases and the same should be applied to FCS. Most people want to be comfortable when using their vacation days to view a game. Plus it would increase the casual fan interest.

I certainly wish it had been warmer and less windy the day NDSU and JSU played. I believe that it is better to have a "cold" venue than a wet one.

Of course, indoors would work for me - just saying that Frisco is plenty warm enough for football.

Sycamore62
January 30th, 2017, 11:11 AM

I agree. all the ones that I have watched have been warm. Of course I was inside my house. That will probably continue to be the case.

Cocky
January 30th, 2017, 01:57 PM
I certainly wish it had been warmer and less windy the day NDSU and JSU played. I believe that it is better to have a "cold" venue than a wet one.

Of course, indoors would work for me - just saying that Frisco is plenty warm enough for football.

Personally, I would have rather played in Fargo. I do agree cold is better than rain or the snow DII got this year.

bostonspider
February 1st, 2017, 04:20 PM
With MLS Expansion in the air, a few more plausible stadiums for future consideration..

Charlotte
https://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/images/FINAL%20_%20Charlotte.jpg

Indianapolis

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/7710ad066dc326e7481bdc6c66ef62fd9ade7259/c=504-0-3488-2243&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2017/01/31/INGroup/Indianapolis/636214872415070004-stadium-1.jpg

Phoenix

https://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/images/phoenix(formatted).jpg

St. Louis

https://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/images/STL.jpg

Sacramento

https://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/images/sacramento%20copy.jpg

San Diego

http://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/images/san-diego-stadium-rendering-0.png

Tampa Bay

http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/2016/12/07/tampa-bay-rowdies-stadium-topper.jpg?itok=66icXqeJ

San Antonio

https://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/images/toyota--stadium-rendering.jpg

RootinFerDukes
February 1st, 2017, 06:57 PM
Wow I didn't realize the MLS is expanding that aggressively. Good. Soccer deserves more popularity in the US and maybe we can get this EPL BS off of our tv channels.

The NCAA won't put it in this Charlotte venue as long as HB2 exists. Charlotte would be perfect for the entire eastern seaboard and is an interesting city.

citdog
February 1st, 2017, 07:00 PM
Wow I didn't realize the MLS is expanding that aggressively. Good. Soccer deserves more popularity in the US and maybe we can get this EPL BS off of our tv channels.

The NCAA won't put it in this Charlotte venue as long as HB2 exists. Charlotte would be perfect for the entire eastern seaboard and is an interesting city.

Interesting how? Nothing old or to do in Charlotte. That town rolls up at 10pm on Sat nite.

Cocky
February 1st, 2017, 07:23 PM
Interesting how? Nothing old or to do in Charlotte. That town rolls up at 10pm on Sat nite.

There are a few places to eat kangaroo but not much else.

Southern Bison
February 1st, 2017, 07:40 PM
It's apparently been awhile since you travelled to the "hornet's nest of rebellion" and the home of NASCAR.

Nightlife/clubs in Uptown Charlotte is pretty strong compared to 15 years ago.

citdog
February 1st, 2017, 07:49 PM
It's apparently been awhile since you travelled to the "hornet's nest of rebellion" and the home of NASCAR.

My neck isn't red enough for nascar.

Perhaps things have improved but it's STILL Charlotte.

cx500d
February 4th, 2017, 09:39 AM
My neck isn't red enough for nascar.

Perhaps things have improved but it's STILL Charlotte.

I haven't been in Charlotte in quite a while either. I had assumed it was subsumed by kudzu by now.

Anthony215
February 6th, 2017, 11:09 AM
I'd vote for San Antonio or Florida. The bulk of the FCS schools who legitimately compete for the championship come from the CAA, OVC, MVC, and then you have EWU & SHSU. I'd say alternate between the two states every other year. Air flight to Orlando is pretty cheap for those on the East Coast and those in the Midwest airflight to San Antonio isn't high priced either. Even from a NE city to San Antonio roundtrip is under $400 via Southwest.

RootinFerDukes
February 6th, 2017, 11:48 AM
The only reason why you would move something from Frisco is to move it further east, otherwise, don't bother.

If it went to another city in TX, it needs to mean it's a larger venue, and that flights and hotels are even cheaper and more abundant compared to Dallas. I doubt they'd be considerably cheaper to justify moving it. Those cities are actually further away for almost any competing FCS conference.

GodHelpTheBears
February 6th, 2017, 12:20 PM
The only reason why you would move something from Frisco is to move it further east, otherwise, don't bother.

If it went to another city in TX, it needs to mean it's a larger venue, and that flights and hotels are even cheaper and more abundant compared to Dallas. I doubt they'd be considerably cheaper to justify moving it. Those cities are actually further away for almost any competing FCS conference.

Agreed - don't underestimate DFW's two hub airports as well. That means the Metroplex has more non-stop service, which is more convenient for planning around a single event like this than an Orlando or Las Vegas, which many cities have flights to, but only 2-3 times a week.

Bucs2016
February 11th, 2017, 06:06 PM
I am positive that North Charleston, host Charleston Southern, will submit a very competitive bid in 2020.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7061985/buc%20field.jpg

At least we can fill ours. Our turf is nice. The diseased tears of Citadel folks killed our grass in 2014 so we had to replace it.

citdog
February 11th, 2017, 06:09 PM
At least we can fill ours. Our turf is nice. The diseased tears of Citadel folks killed our grass in 2014 so we had to replace it.

You can only fill the 3,000 seats when liberty or conway community college came there. Now that Coach Cheatwell has moved on it is right back to irrelevance for ladson southern.

Bucs2016
February 11th, 2017, 06:12 PM

Citadel folks dont get out much. They still dont know the Civil War ended.

citdog
February 11th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Citadel folks dont get out much. They still dont know the Civil War ended.

Son I was painting Southern towns, and now Western ones, red with debauchery since your daddy was carrying you around in his testicle satchel. Besides you religious fanatics don't like drink or dance.

Bucs2016
February 11th, 2017, 06:20 PM
You can only fill the 3,000 seats when liberty or conway community college came there. Now that Coach Cheatwell has moved on it is right back to irrelevance for ladson southern.

Its always full for homecoming regardless the opponent. Liberty, Coastal, SC State and Wofford it was always full. You dont knkw what you're talking about.

And we signed 3 Shrine Bowlers on the offensive line alone. Our only real weakness the last few years. CSU is gonna be just fine. And our new DC was big time recruiter in the MAC at Kent State, won several awards for it. He has strong high school ties to Ohio and Florida. And....Coach Tucker is the guy who is the option defense genius. Not Chadwell or anyone else. So the way we absolutely destroyed The Citadel offense the last few years...was Tuckers work. And hes here for a LONG time now.

Sooo....we will see ya in 2018 in your half empty stadium. Yall must be over compensating for something to build a 22,000 seat stadium when you barely approach 10k most games. Sad.

Bucs2016
February 11th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Son I was painting Southern towns, and now Western ones, red with debauchery since your daddy was carrying you around in his testicle satchel. Besides you religious fanatics don't like drink or dance.

You're wrong. We love to dance. We've danced all over the blue C at Johnson Hagood Stadium. And will again in 2018.

citdog
February 11th, 2017, 07:02 PM
You're wrong. We love to dance. We've danced all over the blue C at Johnson Hagood Stadium. And will again in 2018.

Fortunately I don't remember the first time my school was any good at football. People say that a team is a reflection of the personality of their Coach. So it is no surprise to see white trashy and "never been there before" redneck antics out of ladson southern. Cheatwell abandoned y'all, after not getting ANY of the Head Coaching jobs at GOOD schools he applied for, for an even bigger backwater of SC than ladson...

Bucs2016
February 11th, 2017, 10:36 PM
Fortunately I don't remember the first time my school was any good at football. People say that a team is a reflection of the personality of their Coach. So it is no surprise to see white trashy and "never been there before" redneck antics out of ladson southern. Cheatwell abandoned y'all, after not getting ANY of the Head Coaching jobs at GOOD schools he applied for, for an even bigger backwater of SC than ladson...

Then you have a bad memory because before 2015...Citadel had ONE...exactly ONE conference championships in modern times. 2 in all 112 years of football.
CSU before 2015 had one...exactly one...conference championship in football in 25 years of playing football. Now...we have 3. Citadel has 3 and 1/2.

We have 1 playoff win ever. Citadel has 1 playoff win ever.

So buddy....yall sure havent "been there" much before at all. And neither have we. But we're both "there" now because they're both great top 25 caliber programs.

It just didnt take us 100 years to get there.

Wofford is better than both of us and they've only been D1 for 20 years.
Coastal is better than both of us and they've only had a team for 13 years.
Your rival Furman has 13 conference titles and 1 national title.
SC State has 13 conference titles...2 playoff wins AND...they have 3 NFL Hall of Famers.
Hell even VMI has 7 conference titles.

But in the State of South Carolina....Citadel is clearly the most underachieving program in the state. So before you talk **** about yall having "been there before"....you havent been anywhere CSU hasnt been....and we're both looking UP at the achievements of EVERY other D1 team in this state outside of Presbyterian.

Chew on that one dog.

citdog
February 11th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Then you have a bad memory because before 2015...Citadel had ONE...exactly ONE conference championship. Ever. In 112 years of football.
CSU before 2015 had one...exactly one...conference championship in football in 25 years of playing football.

Now...we have 3. Citadel has 2 and 1/2.

We have 1 playoff win ever. Citadel has 1 playoff win ever.

So buddy....yall sure havent "been there" much before at all. But we're both "there" now because they're both great top 25 caliber programs.

It just didnt take us 100 years to get there.

You need to do a little bit of learning about just WHO played in the SoCon for a lot of those years. Can't compare the schools who have come and gone in our league since 1936 with the collection of misfits and diploma mills, VMI not included, that the little South has had since your little afterthought of a school in ladson joined it. You have an inferiority complex about The Citadel and you know what.....YOU SHOULD because you are an inferior institution in ALL ways.

Bucs2016
February 11th, 2017, 11:15 PM
You need to do a little bit of learning about just WHO played in the SoCon for a lot of those years. Can't compare the schools who have come and gone in our league since 1936 with the collection of misfits and diploma mills, VMI not included, that the little South has had since your little afterthought of a school in ladson joined it. You have an inferiority complex about The Citadel and you know what.....YOU SHOULD because you are an inferior institution in ALL ways.

Excuses huh? Thought they didnt tolerate excuses down there. Oh...and we didnt "join" the Big South. We are one of the few founding member institutions. Former AD Howard Bagwell (R.I.P.) founded the Big South.

Its just a fact. Citadel is the most underachieving D1 football team in this state outside of Presbyterian, and i give them a pass because theyve just recently moved up from D2.

Furman. Woffod. Coastal. SCSU. All have more shiny rings, playoff wins and trophies than Citadel. And us also. YOUR team is on the bottom tier of D1 football success in this state....right there with CSU and PC. Except us and PC havent been D1 for very long and we've already caught up to the 112 years of "success" you claim. PC probably will too one day.

So excuse me if i have to laugh when a Citadel fan tells us they've "been there before". You haven't been anywhere we havent. And neither of us are where Wofford, Furman, Coastal have been. But hey...we've only played D1 ball for 23 years. Whats yalls excuse?

jmufan999
February 11th, 2017, 11:33 PM
wherever the game is played, i think it should be played on turf. i've never seen so many guys slip (other than at the awful field for the 2004 NC game) than the JMU and YSU players this year. and this is with both teams being run-first kinds of teams, so don't tell me that running teams will prefer grass. no one benefits when both teams have guys constantly slipping all game. play the game on good turf and watch great athletes do their thing.

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Excuses huh? Thought they didnt tolerate excuses down there. Oh...and we didnt "join" the Big South. We are one of the few founding member institutions. Former AD Howard Bagwell (R.I.P.) founded the Big South.

Its just a fact. Citadel is the most underachieving D1 football team in this state outside of Presbyterian, and i give them a pass because theyve just recently moved up from D2.

Furman. Woffod. Coastal. SCSU. All have more shiny rings, playoff wins and trophies than Citadel. And us also. YOUR team is on the bottom tier of D1 football success in this state....right there with CSU and PC. Except us and PC havent been D1 for very long and we've already caught up to the 112 years of "success" you claim. PC probably will too one day.

So excuse me if i have to laugh when a Citadel fan tells us they've "been there before". You haven't been anywhere we havent. And neither of us are where Wofford, Furman, Coastal have been. But hey...we've only played D1 ball for 23 years. Whats yalls excuse?

Let me know when your list of schools that you have defeated in your program history include Army, Navy, Klempsin, South Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Arkansas, East Carolina, William and Mary, Richmond, etc etc. Like I said there is NO comparison that would be fair to you in your, shall we say, LIMITED history.

DoWe
February 12th, 2017, 12:13 AM
Wow, these CSU folks have citdog on the ropes. Amazing!

Charleston would be a fantastic venue for the FCS Championship game, but I suspect it will be a bowl town far sooner. It's simply way too far east for the egalitarian FCS crowd. That's understandable.

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 12:26 AM
Wow, these CSU folks have citdog on the ropes. Amazing!

Charleston would be a fantastic venue for the FCS Championship game, but I suspect it will be a bowl town far sooner. It's simply way too far east for the egalitarian FCS crowd. That's understandable.

I really am being kind to the young man. Like most Charleston People I never really cared or had an opinion about the Baptist College, one because we don't drink rat poison and handle rattlesnakes in Reform Judaism and two because in my time there was really nothing to compare. They only recently had begun playing football and played our JV Team. They got a little better when that Harvard fella coached them and then miraculously, musta been that Carpenter, they became much better under Cheatwell. He is gone, and so is just about everyone else, so if you are ladson southern....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Let me know when your list of schools that you have defeated in your program history include Army, Navy, Klempsin, South Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Arkansas, East Carolina, William and Mary, Richmond, etc etc. Like I said there is NO comparison that would be fair to you in your, shall we say, LIMITED history.

Most of those were won before the South even allowed black kids to play. Citadel tried to hold on to that tradition much longer but still.

Army? Stony Brook of the Big South beat them. LOTS of FCS teams can beat them.

South Carolina? Yes. The memory that Citadel fans will cling to for decades. Nice win in 2015 over a God awful USC team. OH BY THE WAY....thats the same year we beat your butts twice in the same season.

As I said...we've accomplished as much in a mere 23 years of D1 ball as Citadel has in 112.

And we are both looking UP at Wofford, Furnan, Coastal, SCSU....but at least we have an excuse to be.

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 02:10 PM
I really am being kind to the young man. Like most Charleston People I never really cared or had an opinion about the Baptist College, one because we don't drink rat poison and handle rattlesnakes in Reform Judaism and two because in my time there was really nothing to compare. They only recently had begun playing football and played our JV Team. They got a little better when that Harvard fella coached them and then miraculously, musta been that Carpenter, they became much better under Cheatwell. He is gone, and so is just about everyone else, so if you are ladson southern....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4

We became better as scholarship numbers rose. David Dowd played D1 ball with 34 scholarships until 2002. They had some good players in the 2 deep but no depth. Injuries ruined several good squads. Their 1998, 1999 and 2000 teams when healthy were probably better than those God awful late 90s Citadel teams.

Jay Mills got schollys nearly doubled from 34 to the allowed 65 in 2003. He won the Big South in 2005. Beat Citadel in 2006. And the rest.....is history....as the program rose to where it COULD have been in the late 90s if fully funded.

Sorry buddy. But its simply a fact that nearly every D1 program in this state has accomplished more than The Citadel with the exception of newish program Presbyterian. Yall are, by far, the most underachieving D1 program in this state.

And if one factors in the fact that Newberry, North Greenville and Limestone have played well above their limited means in D2....one could say Citadel is the most underachieving program in this state, any division.

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 02:27 PM
We became better as scholarship numbers rose. David Dowd played D1 ball with 34 scholarships until 2002. They had some good players in the 2 deep but no depth. Injuries ruined several good squads. Their 1998, 1999 and 2000 teams when healthy were probably better than those God awful late 90s Citadel teams.

Jay Mills got schollys nearly doubled from 34 to the allowed 65 in 2003. He won the Big South in 2005. Beat Citadel in 2006. And the rest.....is history....as the program rose to where it COULD have been in the late 90s if fully funded.

Sorry buddy. But its simply a fact that nearly every D1 program in this state has accomplished more than The Citadel with the exception of newish program Presbyterian. Yall are, by far, the most underachieving D1 program in this state.

And if one factors in the fact that Newberry, North Greenville and Limestone have played well above their limited means in D2....one could say Citadel is the most underachieving program in this state, any division.

You are the only one who would say that. Most people realize that The Citadel, Wofford, and vermin only admit STUDENT ATHLETES and ours also have to live in a 24 hour a day military environment. Most of your team could not be admitted to any GOOD school just as we don't recruit against SC State who we are 4-0 against. Those GOOD schools have no interest in your boys because they are marginal academically. You do well with them but please don't pretend that most of them could even sniff admission to the three schools I named above.

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 09:47 PM
You are the only one who would say that. Most people realize that The Citadel, Wofford, and vermin only admit STUDENT ATHLETES and ours also have to live in a 24 hour a day military environment. Most of your team could not be admitted to any GOOD school just as we don't recruit against SC State who we are 4-0 against. Those GOOD schools have no interest in your boys because they are marginal academically. You do well with them but please don't pretend that most of them could even sniff admission to the three schools I named above.

Hmmm. CSUs acceptance rate is 59%. Citadels is a whopping 76%. If your white, male, Southern and daddy gave you a rebel flag on Christmas...Citadel will take you.

SAT numbers....CSU is actually pretty close to Citadel. In fact these composite 25/75 numbers show Citadle is much more similar to CSU numbers than Wofford numbers and we're both about average for colleges in this state.
http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/a/south-carolina-colleges-sat-scores.htm

Heck...Citadels numbers were below Clemson...College of Charleston....even North Greenville. And tied with Presbyterian College and Anderson College. Huh. Who knew?

Yes. Wofford and Furman are academically far better than both of us. So is Clemson. And C of C. And USC-Columbia. You guys are slightly better than us and Coastal. Congrats.

Hmmmm. You're running out of excuses underachievers. It appears most of our players could jn fact get in to Coastal or Citadel. And your players...well...probably couldn't get in at Wofford oe Furman or USC or Clemson...or C of C. Ouch.

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 10:02 PM
Citdog i saw the SoCon comparisons of composite SAT scores. Yall would be tied for 6th place (with ETSU).

In the Big South... (diploma mills you called it)....Citadel would still fall behind Liberty, UNC Asheville, High Point and Presbyterian....so 5th place. And not that far ahead of CSU and Campbell. http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/a/big-south-conference-sat-scores.htm

Sooo....as you posture on your soapbox pretending to be Harvard talking to a community college....realize the numbers dont lie. You're really taking it on the chin in this thread. Just surrender like yall did in 1865. Its ok.

We never claimed to be an prestigious academic school like Wofford or Furman. We arent. And neither is Citadel.

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Citdog i saw the SoCon comparisons of composite SAT scores. Yall would be tied for 6th place (with ETSU).

In the Big South... (diploma mills you called it)....Citadel would still fall behind Liberty, UNC Asheville, High Point and Presbyterian....so 5th place. And not that far ahead of CSU and Campbell. http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/a/big-south-conference-sat-scores.htm

Sooo....as you posture on your soapbox pretending to be Harvard talking to a community college....realize the numbers dont lie. You're really taking it on the chin in this thread. Just surrender like yall did in 1865. Its ok.

We never claimed to be an prestigious academic school like Wofford or Furman. We arent. And neither is Citadel.

The Citadel is the #1 Public College in the South offering up to a Masters Degree. Y'all finished in the 170's if I remember correctly.

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 10:16 PM
CSU, Wofford, and Furman are PRIVATE INSTITUTIONS. The Citadel is a State College. Our missions are completely different.

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 10:19 PM
The Citadel is the #1 Public College in the South offering up to a Masters Degree. Y'all finished in the 170's if I remember correctly.

Yawn. Based on SAT/ACT scores the kids at Clemson and USC are far smarter than Citadel kids. You can quote a ranking. I'll quote stats.

In fact....if one was to ask "Which schools are Citadel enrollees closer to in SAT scores: Clemson & USC or CSU & Coastal?" The answer is....CSU and Coastal. While slightly better...your SAT scores are closer to us and Coastal than Clemson or USC. BUT a Citadel degree IS GREAT for employment. You'll ALWAYS have a job with that degree (*assuming you never stray more than 40 miles from Charleston).

FACT.

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/a/south-carolina-colleges-sat-scores.htm

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 10:20 PM
These numbers are interesting....

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/best-schools-by-state/bachelors/south-carolina

So you get to pay more for ladson southern and earn almost 20,000 less a year starting out and at the top almost 23,000 less too! GREAT VALUE there!!

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 10:24 PM
CSU, Wofford, and Furman are PRIVATE INSTITUTIONS. The Citadel is a State College. Our missions are completely different.

Excuses. Theres no reason to bring Wofford or Furman into this. Those schools are FAR better than both of us academically and in football. Citadel academically, according to the actual stats, is closer to College of Charleston, Coastal and CSU. Just the numbers.

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Yawn. Based on SAT/ACT scores the kids at Clemson and USC are far smarter than Citadel kids.

SMART ONES HERE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXnSl3nFlZI&t=98s

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 10:26 PM
These numbers are interesting....

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/best-schools-by-state/bachelors/south-carolina

So you get to pay more for ladson southern and earn almost 20,000 less a year starting out and at the top almost 23,000 less too! GREAT VALUE there!!

Its not surprising at all when you consider CSUs 4 largest careers post graduation tend to be police, teaching, nursing (all underpaid professions) and then music/arts.

Most colleges are a ripoff. Wont get an argument from me there.

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Excuses. Theres no reason to bring Wofford or Furman into this. Those schools are FAR better than both of us academically and in football. Citadel academically, according to the actual stats, is closer to College of Charleston, Coastal and CSU. Just the numbers.

The BIG question is why are Public Schools more demanding to enter than ladson southern???? Which is private and run by the SBC??

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 10:27 PM
SMART ONES HERE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXnSl3nFlZI&t=98s

^^^^2015....Citadel beats USC....but gets their asses beat TWICE by CSU^^^^ HAHAHA oops.

Yall won at Williams-Brice then lost at Ladson hahaha!!! Idiots!

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 10:29 PM
The BIG question is why are Public Schools more demanding to enter than ladson southern???? Which is private and run by the SBC??

Our acceptance rate is 59%. Yours is 76%.

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Our acceptance rate is 59%. Yours is 76%.

Can't help that we have better quality applicants...

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 10:32 PM
^^^^2015....Citadel beats USC....but gets their asses beat TWICE by CSU^^^^ HAHAHA oops.

Yall won at Williams-Brice then lost at Ladson hahaha!!! Idiots!

nobody will remember that but they will remember 23-22 and SoCon Champs!

Don't worry one of these days you might whip them too.

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Can't help that we have better quality applicants...

Haha yeah.

Citadel application:
1. White?
2. Male?
3. Southern?
4. Own a rebel flag?

YOU'RE IN!!!

The one big thing yalls military-themed college offers is the network. Anyone with "the ring" will hire another guy with the ring, regardless of qualifications. That is undeniable and guarantees Citadel grads a job for life (in Charleston).

Bucs2016
February 12th, 2017, 10:37 PM
nobody will remember that but they will remember 23-22 and SoCon Champs!

Don't worry one of these days you might whip them too.

We probably would've beat them that day. USC program was in a total meltdown at that time. But we likely wont ever play them or Clemson. We use our FBS games to try to establish some recognition in places we want to recruit more, like Florida or the Gulf Coast states.

TheKingpin28
February 13th, 2017, 12:15 AM
Holy thread drift.

PAllen
February 13th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Holy thread drift.

PL fans have been really slacking off recently.

Longhorn
February 13th, 2017, 11:33 AM
I'd vote for San Antonio or Florida. The bulk of the FCS schools who legitimately compete for the championship come from the CAA, OVC, MVC, and then you have EWU & SHSU. I'd say alternate between the two states every other year. Air flight to Orlando is pretty cheap for those on the East Coast and those in the Midwest airflight to San Antonio isn't high priced either. Even from a NE city to San Antonio roundtrip is under $400 via Southwest.

San Antonio is worth considering, but there really isn't a quality FCS facility in SA. I suppose you could curtain off the upper level of the Alamo Dome to reduce its seating to a little over 30k...which would mean plenty of seats remain for team #2 (should NDSU fans gorge on pre-sales). The old Alamo Stadium (a quaint and picturesque stadium built with WPA help during the Depression) was downsized to 20k, and it lacks the modern amenities you'd desire for a D1 championship game. Alamo Stadium is also used as a High School stadium, which only reinforces the idea of FCS as a lesser product in football crazed Texas.

PAllen
February 13th, 2017, 11:50 AM
San Antonio is worth considering, but there really isn't a quality FCS facility in SA. I suppose you could curtain off the upper level of the Alamo Dome to reduce its seating to a little over 30k...which would mean plenty of seats remain for team #2 (should NDSU fans gorge on pre-sales). The old Alamo Stadium (a quaint and picturesque stadium built with WPA help during the Depression) was downsized to 20k, and it lacks the modern amenities you'd desire for a D1 championship game. Alamo Stadium is also used as a High School stadium, which only reinforces the idea of FCS as a lesser product in football crazed Texas.

Doesn't the Alamo Dome sponsor the big HS all start game?

Bucs2016
February 13th, 2017, 02:15 PM
I would fully support Charleston as the venue. The Citadels stadium is beautiful and its walking distance to downtown of one of the top tourist cities in the world. January weather is mild. Food is unmatched for any city of this size. We have beaches.

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 02:21 PM
I would fully support Charleston as the venue. The Citadels stadium is beautiful and its walking distance to downtown of one of the top tourist cities in the world. January weather is mild. Food is unmatched for any city of this size. We have beaches.

Charleston has hosted before. The Citadel is currently looking at options for the visitor side of General Hagood's House. When that is done, and now that the ncaa has nothing to boycott, Charleston will submit what I am sure will be a competitive bid. Trust me y'all even if your team went 15 times in a row to Charleston you couldn't come CLOSE to seeing everything of interest in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Sad that the William Tecumseh Sherman Memorial Pisswall will be gone. I think that whatever AD Senter and the Board of Visitors decide should be built AROUND that important historical landmark.

RootinFerDukes
February 13th, 2017, 04:35 PM
What needs to be upgraded at the citadel's stadium specifically?

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 04:46 PM
What needs to be upgraded at the citadel's stadium specifically?

The Visitors side will be demolished and rebuilt. Age and lead based paint are responsible.

http://www.thecitadelfootballassociation.com/CFA%20Through%20The%20Years/images/aerialviewofjohnsonhagood-2011.jpg

RootinFerDukes
February 13th, 2017, 04:53 PM
That's a good sized visitors stand. I hope the new one has just as many seats.
We will need to get a waiver from Clenz for permission to upgrade the seating capacity by 500 seats. It might make Fcs look small time.

Grizalltheway
February 13th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Why would anyone give the visitors an entire side? xconfusedx

citdog
February 13th, 2017, 05:32 PM

10 years in a row: Charleston named best-mannered city

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-01-15-cities-manners_x.htm

Grizalltheway
February 13th, 2017, 05:45 PM
10 years in a row: Charleston named best-mannered city

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-01-15-cities-manners_x.htm

Heh

POD Knows
February 13th, 2017, 06:07 PM

Because they can. xnodx

Bucs2016
February 13th, 2017, 11:25 PM
Charleston has hosted before. The Citadel is currently looking at options for the visitor side of General Hagood's House. When that is done, and now that the ncaa has nothing to boycott, Charleston will submit what I am sure will be a competitive bid. Trust me y'all even if your team went 15 times in a row to Charleston you couldn't come CLOSE to seeing everything of interest in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Sad that the William Tecumseh Sherman Memorial Pisswall will be gone. I think that whatever AD Senter and the Board of Visitors decide should be built AROUND that important historical landmark.

Absolutely correct. Charleston will more likely land a bowl game though. ACC vs CUSA or something. Its true. In 15 trips a person still wouldn't see and do all the cool stuff here. And it offers a beautiful downtown stadium with hotels within walking distance.

Just my 2 cents but there isnt a better city for the FCS title game in my opinion.

The "pisswall"...you must be referring to the visitor side mens restroom, right? Yes. That is certainly an interesting relic of history haha!

Thumper 76
February 14th, 2017, 12:07 AM
That was my thought as well....

Because they can. xnodx
xlolx

BisonFan02
February 14th, 2017, 12:09 AM
That was my thought as well....

xlolx

Is that why you guys built a new one? How thoughtful of you! :D

clenz
February 14th, 2017, 01:31 PM
I've never understood all this talk about "home side" and visitor side.

Most of UNI's season ticket holders are on one side and the students are on the other. Why the hell give the visitors a side?

UAalum72
February 14th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Nobody "gives" the visitors all the seats on a side. It's the side that the visitors' team bench is on. Maybe the away team's ticket allotment is on that side if not in the end zone.

clenz
February 14th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Nobody "gives" the visitors all the seats on a side. It's the side that the visitors' team bench is on. Maybe the away team's ticket allotment is on that side if not in the end zone.So for UNI the visitor side has 95% of the season ticket holders sitting right behind them....

No.

It's called "the west side" because it's the west side of the stadium. Never give ownership of your stadium, in anyway, to an opponent.

It's your side, just on the west side of the stadium.

UAalum72
February 14th, 2017, 02:27 PM
So for UNI the visitor side has 95% of the season ticket holders sitting right behind them....

No.

It's called "the west side" because it's the west side of the stadium. Never give ownership of your stadium, in anyway, to an opponent.

It's your side, just on the west side of the stadium.
Don't play Western Illinois, then. Don't want them getting ideas.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 14th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Oh good! I've missed the home side/visitor side argument ever since the overly touchy App fans left. not all of them, just the very touchy ones.

I will always refer to it as the visitor side fwiw. It is the simplest way to discern to others the geography of what you are trying to impart to them. It takes a pretty short pecker to act as if it takes away from your team to refer to the side that the visitors are located on in this way, whether they are a majority or not. it just signifies where they are, where the visiting team is lined up, etc.

Grizalltheway
February 14th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Oh good! I've missed the home side/visitor side argument ever since the overly touchy App fans left. not all of them, just the very touchy ones.

I will always refer to it as the visitor side fwiw. It is the simplest way to discern to others the geography of what you are trying to impart to them. It takes a pretty short pecker to act as if it takes away from your team to refer to the side that the visitors are located on in this way, whether they are a majority or not. it just signifies where they are, where the visiting team is lined up, etc.

Hey pal I'll give YOU a short pecker...wait no. That didn't come out right.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 14th, 2017, 04:14 PM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aIWrFNDKQ6o/maxresdefault.jpg

BisonFan02
February 14th, 2017, 07:17 PM

On the home side or through the backdoor on the visitor's side? Geography or something.

dgtw
February 14th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Calling the two sides home and visitor makes it much easier to describe which side you are talking about. I have no idea which side is East or West unless I am in it and the sun is out.

Bucs2016
February 15th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Yeah i agree. This is a silly argument haha. The home side/visitor side lingo originates in high school football and everyone uses it except i suppose NFL and MAJOR college stadiums. You have some tweener college teams who fill both sides with their fans who wanna grandstand but whatever.

Bisonator
February 15th, 2017, 08:45 AM
We like to call it the losers corner.:D

vestaviadude
February 15th, 2017, 08:47 AM
We like to call it the losers corner.:D

Well said!

Professor Chaos
May 3rd, 2019, 09:06 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26662014/ncaa-rescinds-ban-title-events-betting-states

Vegas is now an option!

https://www.reviewjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/10036863992520sntic-sep25-15_0_0.jpg

IBleedYellow
May 3rd, 2019, 09:14 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26662014/ncaa-rescinds-ban-title-events-betting-states

Vegas is now an option!

https://www.reviewjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/10036863992520sntic-sep25-15_0_0.jpg

"**** Vegas! That's too far WEST!!!"

-Everyone in this thread complaining about Frisco.

nodak651
May 3rd, 2019, 09:58 AM

Vegas is now an option!

Vegas would be amazing. Even if the game is on the East Coast, people out there don't drive farther than 2-3 hours anyway... and a flight is a flight, and flights to Vegas are cheap as hell. Especially with service options from airlines like Allegiant that fly direct from smaller FCS cities. People are always looking for an excuse to go to Vegas, and the benefit of this location is that there could be an influx of fans from teams across the FCS, who aren't even in the title game, because it is a destination city. I hate to bring up college hockey due the the risk of thread drift, but one of the great things about that championship is that a huge percentage of attendees are fans of college hockey in general, and go every year, no matter who is playing. It would be great for the FCS if that could become more of a trend. Large numbers of fans from different schools make the event more fun. Especially if NDSU continues their run, more seating is needed anyway.

POD Knows
May 3rd, 2019, 10:03 AM
Vegas would be amazing. Even if the game is on the East Coast, people out there don't drive farther than 2-3 hours anyway... and a flight is a flight, and flights to Vegas are cheap as hell. Especially with service options from airlines like Allegiant that fly direct from smaller FCS cities. People are always looking for an excuse to go to Vegas, and the benefit of this location is that there could be an influx of fans from teams across the FCS, who aren't even in the title game, because it is a destination city. I hate to bring up college hockey due the the risk of thread drift, but one of the great things about that championship is that a huge percentage of attendees are fans of college hockey in general, and go every year, no matter who is playing. It would be great for the FCS if that could become more of a trend. Large numbers of fans from different schools make the event more fun. Especially if NDSU continues their run, more seating is needed anyway.I would be all over Vegas as well, I would probably still drive it as the 1500 miles to Vegas would probably seem the same and that 1000 mile drive to Frisco given the fact that there would actually be something to see on the way down to Vegas.

CappinHard
May 3rd, 2019, 11:04 AM

Vegas is now an option!

Hell. Yes. Has anyone started a petition yet?

Derby City Duke
May 3rd, 2019, 12:24 PM
Direct flight for me! Twice as long as the flight to Dallas and I lose my free lodging with family, but I'd still try to go.

gumby013
May 3rd, 2019, 12:25 PM
I would be all over Vegas as well, I would probably still drive it as the 1500 miles to Vegas would probably seem the same and that 1000 mile drive to Frisco given the fact that there would actually be something to see on the way down to Vegas.

Already mapping out the best routes from my place in Fargo and my parent's place in Phoenix.

uni88
May 3rd, 2019, 12:55 PM
Vegas would be amazing. Even if the game is on the East Coast, people out there don't drive farther than 2-3 hours anyway... and a flight is a flight, and flights to Vegas are cheap as hell. Especially with service options from airlines like Allegiant that fly direct from smaller FCS cities. People are always looking for an excuse to go to Vegas, and the benefit of this location is that there could be an influx of fans from teams across the FCS, who aren't even in the title game, because it is a destination city. I hate to bring up college hockey due the the risk of thread drift, but one of the great things about that championship is that a huge percentage of attendees are fans of college hockey in general, and go every year, no matter who is playing. It would be great for the FCS if that could become more of a trend. Large numbers of fans from different schools make the event more fun. Especially if NDSU continues their run, more seating is needed anyway.Vegas and Orlando probably have direct flights from more cities than anywhere else in the US.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PAllen
May 3rd, 2019, 01:13 PM
I would be all over Vegas as well, I would probably still drive it as the 1500 miles to Vegas would probably seem the same and that 1000 mile drive to Frisco given the fact that there would actually be something to see on the way down to Vegas.

You got something against Ft. Sill?

POD Knows
May 3rd, 2019, 01:18 PM
You got something against Ft. Sill?That is too far off the beaten path to Frisco from Fargo. The attached link is probably the best stop on the way to Frisco from up north, a little out of the way but worth the visit, I guess. Ain't never there, they tell me it's nice. xsmhx

https://chronicles.roadtrippers.com/history-of-picher-oklahoma/

cx500d
May 3rd, 2019, 03:01 PM

I went to FIRES school at Ft. Sill. I liked it. Adjacent to the firing range is the Witchita mountains wildlife refuge which has herds of Bison and Elk. I was hiking solo along a trail there one weekend in August when it was about 108F outside so nobody else was out there, and here I came across a herd of Bison scattered all over the trail...I had to go off piste and give them a wide berth because I didn't need to get gored or trampled when no-one was out there and no-one knew I was out there.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30486&stc=1

Had a great time learning how to rain steel

They have a great outdoor museum of artillery, rocket launchers, etc., like this 240mm howitzer

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30487&stc=1

Of course it's also the final resting place of some legendary indians, such as this one:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30488&stc=1

ElCid
May 3rd, 2019, 04:36 PM

I went to FIRES school at Ft. Sill. I liked it. Adjacent to the firing range is the Witchita mountains wildlife refuge which has herds of Bison and Elk. I was hiking solo along a trail there one weekend in August when it was about 108F outside so nobody else was out there, and here I came across a herd of Bison scattered all over the trail...I had to go off piste and give them a wide berth because I didn't need to get gored or trampled when no-one was out there and no-one knew I was out there.

Hah! You guys got nothing. Try Altus. An hour or so West of Ft Sill. Talk about Hell and gone. Ain't nothing out that way. We were about as far as you can get in SW OK without being in Texas. Ft Sill was like going to the big city for us in Altus. But we did have the rattlesnake roundup.

RootinFerDukes
May 3rd, 2019, 06:20 PM
"**** Vegas! That's too far WEST!!!"

-Everyone in this thread complaining about Frisco.

Does Frisco have an Eiffel Tower? I didn’t think so.

Bisonoline
May 3rd, 2019, 08:23 PM
I really like Frisco.

cx500d
May 3rd, 2019, 08:24 PM
Hah! You guys got nothing. Try Altus. An hour or so West of Ft Sill. Talk about Hell and gone. Ain't nothing out that way. We were about as far as you can get in SW OK without being in Texas. Ft Sill was like going to the big city for us in Altus. But we did have the rattlesnake roundup.

Yes, Altus sucked

uni88
May 3rd, 2019, 10:38 PM
Of course it's also the final resting place of some legendary indians, such as this one:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30488&stc=1

Legendary? He couldn't carry Quanah Parker's jock.

Bisonoline
May 3rd, 2019, 11:27 PM

In what regard???? Certainly not as a warrior from what Ive read. As a business man you might be correct.

uni88
May 3rd, 2019, 11:51 PM
In what regard???? Certainly not as a warrior from what Ive read. As a business man you might be correct.As a leader. Geranimo might have been the superior individual warrior but the Comanche were superior to the Apache overall and drove them out of Texas. Quanah was a hell of a leader. Read Empire of the Summer Moon and you'll appreciate Quanah and the Comanche a lot more.

POD Knows
May 4th, 2019, 08:28 AM
I really like Frisco.
I do to, plus it is a home game and fells like a home game and we are 7-0 there and I hate to mess with the streak. I wouldn't mind moving the game around once in while but it shouldn't be done until we lose our first Natty game, until then, it should remain in Frisco.

cx500d
May 4th, 2019, 08:45 AM

Quanah Parker is also buried on Ft. Sill

Derby City Duke
May 4th, 2019, 02:59 PM

Did you ever see the big prairie dog habitat out in the wildlife refuge?

I live there for 3 months for school at Sill back in '85.

Derby City Duke
May 4th, 2019, 03:02 PM

Remember driving past Altus when driving from Sill to Colorado Springs. Looked like a mirage in the late afternoon sun.

cx500d
May 5th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Did you ever see the big prairie dog habitat out in the wildlife refuge?

I live there for 3 months for school at Sill back in '85.
I don’t remember seeing that.

WeAreThePride
May 6th, 2019, 08:01 AM
I enjoy Frisco, but I also love variety. I’ll go wherever the game is, and I’d like to see some new cities on those trips. New Orleans would be freaking EPIC.

Bisonoline
May 6th, 2019, 08:37 AM
I enjoy Frisco, but I also love variety. I’ll go wherever the game is, and I’d like to see some new cities on those trips. New Orleans would be freaking EPIC.

I could do New Orleans.

I have no desire to go to Orlando or any other FLA city.

Derby City Duke
May 6th, 2019, 11:47 AM
I don’t remember seeing that.

Somewhere at home I've got some old photos. If I can dig em up, I'll scan them and post.

IBleedYellow
May 6th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Vegas or bust.

cx500d
May 6th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Somewhere at home I've got some old photos. If I can dig em up, I'll scan them and post.
Not surprising, not a fan of rodents such as prairie dogs, jackrabbits, etc

Bison56
May 7th, 2019, 07:25 AM
I could do New Orleans.

I have no desire to go to Orlando or any other FLA city.

2nd this, only issue with New Orleans is I gain about 30lbs when I go from eating all that delicious food.xthumbsupx

Bisonoline
May 7th, 2019, 02:40 PM
2nd this, only issue with New Orleans is I gain about 30lbs when I go from eating all that delicious food.xthumbsupx

Same thing happens when I go to Dallas-Frisco. Hope to have the same problem if we go to NO.

Redbird 4th & short
May 7th, 2019, 04:03 PM
I like Frisco just fine .. but Vegas works for me too.

Affordable flights and warm weather are 2 main criteria .. that and right sized stadium ... 18-25k. If Bison aren't there, they would struggle to get over 10k consistently some years.

We don't want to look like this guy ...

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2012/02/24/us/24fordfield-AP/24fordfield-AP-jumbo.jpg (https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/us/politics/for-romney-a-message-lost-in-the-empty-seats.html)

GAD
May 7th, 2019, 05:01 PM
Did Las Vegas or New Orleans submit bids?

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2019, 08:43 PM
50 years ago...it was Atlantic City on national TV:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cl0T1W_XiNA/THRYdp0E-gI/AAAAAAAAAWo/Xnf1tTri1y0/s1600/ACBoardwalkBowl.jpg

Professor Chaos
May 7th, 2019, 09:52 PM

Affordable flights and warm weather are 2 main criteria .. that and right sized stadium ... 18-25k. If Bison aren't there, they would struggle to get over 10k consistently some years.

We don't want to look like this guy ...

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2012/02/24/us/24fordfield-AP/24fordfield-AP-jumbo.jpg (https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/us/politics/for-romney-a-message-lost-in-the-empty-seats.html)
Meh... I don't see a problem with having an empty stadium from time to time. Numerous bowl games look like that every year and it doesn't seem to hurt their perception. There are other FCS schools that would bring a bunch to a title game other than NDSU. IMO they should be more worried about accommodating demand for a potential NDSU vs JMU matchup than they should be about the optics of a potential Eastern Washington vs Towson matchup.

PAllen
May 7th, 2019, 10:32 PM
50 years ago...it was Atlantic City on national TV:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cl0T1W_XiNA/THRYdp0E-gI/AAAAAAAAAWo/Xnf1tTri1y0/s1600/ACBoardwalkBowl.jpg

Gambling and 8 yard endzones.

TheRevSFA
May 8th, 2019, 05:07 AM
Same thing happens when I go to Dallas-Frisco. Hope to have the same problem if we go to NO.

You guys want to get rid of the one time a year you get good brisket....

PAllen
May 8th, 2019, 07:57 AM
You guys want to get rid of the one time a year you get good brisket....

Good brisket in Dallas? Where?

cx500d
May 8th, 2019, 08:14 AM

Hutchins, pecan lodge, Lockhart, just to name a couple

IBleedYellow
May 8th, 2019, 10:30 AM

MR. CHICKEN
May 8th, 2019, 10:59 AM
....IT'S DUH......CREAMED CORN.....AH CRAVE.....xnodx...BRAWK!

Redbird 4th & short
May 8th, 2019, 01:16 PM

Applebees ?

Redbird 4th & short
May 8th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Meh... I don't see a problem with having an empty stadium from time to time. Numerous bowl games look like that every year and it doesn't seem to hurt their perception. There are other FCS schools that would bring a bunch to a title game other than NDSU. IMO they should be more worried about accommodating demand for a potential NDSU vs JMU matchup than they should be about the optics of a potential Eastern Washington vs Towson matchup.
agree it's mostly optics, but also partly economics ... but there is something about right-sizing the venue that makes it more appealing on television. And unlike it being 1 of 40 FBS bowl games that rely on sponsors and TV commercials moreso than filled seats, this is our Natty .. so I think the optics matter more. PLus I assume economics come into play with cost of venue and what happens financially if you have just 10k attendance in a 40k venue .. I assume that has financial implications.

I checked and there was 14k reported attendance at JMU vs YSU .. not sure if that was tickets purchased (incl no shows) or butts in seats. What if it had been EWU vs YSU in finals instead of semi's.

Anyway, I like Frisco as is .. usually warm (not 2014 !!!) and easy/cheap to fly to with 3 weeks notice. And it barely fills all these years as is with Bison.

BucBisonAtLarge
May 8th, 2019, 01:30 PM

James Madison and YSU drew 14,400 in Frisco in 2017.

PAllen
May 8th, 2019, 01:36 PM

Thanks, I'll have to check them out the next time I'm down there. I know a few good steak places, but brisket has always been more of a west Texas thing for me.

DFW HOYA
May 8th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check them out the next time I'm down there. I know a few good steak places, but brisket has always been more of a west Texas thing for me.

Some of the least memorable barbecue in the state can be found in west Texas and along the Llano Estacado. It's first and foremost a central Texas product.

kdinva
May 8th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Thanks,.....has always been more of a west Texas thing for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-riL5A4eiWQ

cx500d
May 8th, 2019, 03:32 PM

West Texas? I never heard "brisket" and "west Texas" used in the same sentence before.

TheRevSFA
May 8th, 2019, 04:17 PM

The best brisket is in central Texas: black’s, franklins, kreutz’, coopers.

Dallas has some decent spots though

Professor Chaos
May 8th, 2019, 09:27 PM

agree it's mostly optics, but also partly economics ... but there is something about right-sizing the venue that makes it more appealing on television. And unlike it being 1 of 40 FBS bowl games that rely on sponsors and TV commercials moreso than filled seats, this is our Natty .. so I think the optics matter more. PLus I assume economics come into play with cost of venue and what happens financially if you have just 10k attendance in a 40k venue .. I assume that has financial implications.

I checked and there was 14k reported attendance at JMU vs YSU .. not sure if that was tickets purchased (incl no shows) or butts in seats. What if it had been EWU vs YSU in finals instead of semi's.

Anyway, I like Frisco as is .. usually warm (not 2014 !!!) and easy/cheap to fly to with 3 weeks notice. And it barely fills all these years as is with Bison.
The '16 title game was pretty much sold out at 14,000 and change. The entire south endzone was gone that year so capacity was reduced by a good margin. And that was with YSU's AD completely dropping the ball and only selling about 1500 tickets to their fans IIRC. I sold my tickets that year for above cost because there was significant demand from JMU fans plus a limited supply because of the missing endzone and the fact that us Bison fans bought most of the general public tickets that year also.

One thing that irks me a bit is the stadium in Frisco actually reduced capacity by about 2k with their endzone renovation.

But any discussion around a new location centers around who bids and what they bid. I'm sure Frisco bids aggressively and I don't know if there's many other places that put in serious bids. One can dream about places like Vegas and New Orleans but it sure could get a lot worse than Frisco too.

PAllen
May 9th, 2019, 07:54 AM
I think perhaps I have my regions of Texas incorrectly defined. Where would Lampasas and/or Killeen fall?

PAllen
May 9th, 2019, 07:55 AM
The '16 title game was pretty much sold out at 14,000 and change. The entire south endzone was gone that year so capacity was reduced by a good margin. And that was with YSU's AD completely dropping the ball and only selling about 1500 tickets to their fans IIRC. I sold my tickets that year for above cost because there was significant demand from JMU fans plus a limited supply because of the missing endzone and the fact that us Bison fans bought most of the general public tickets that year also.

One thing that irks me a bit is the stadium in Frisco actually reduced capacity by about 2k with their endzone renovation.

But any discussion around a new location centers around who bids and what they bid. I'm sure Frisco bids aggressively and I don't know if there's many other places that put in serious bids. One can dream about places like Vegas and New Orleans but it sure could get a lot worse than Frisco too.

This right here ^

Daytripper
May 9th, 2019, 07:58 AM

Frisco is a good central location and the business community loves them some FCS championships....especially when those hard-drinking, big-spending, good-tipping Bison fans show up. Vegas is too far west for any fan base east of the Mississippi River. New Orleans would be great but where would it be played? The Tulane stadium is the perfect size but I have been to a game there and the parking/tailgating is atrocious. It's right in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

JSUSoutherner
May 9th, 2019, 08:56 AM

You can thank JMU for that.

I wouldn't be surprised if less than 3000 people show up to Samford and YSU's "kick off" game in Montgomery this fall.

IBleedYellow
May 9th, 2019, 09:48 AM

Brisket is a synonym for BBQ for me.

Redbird 4th & short
May 9th, 2019, 09:50 AM
so assuming the 14k was actual butts in seats, and did not include unused tickets purchased well in advance by Bison ... how did that corwd split .. JMU vs YSU ? Though assume there were some neutral fans in attendance too.

And yes I recall the YSU ticket debacle .. total dropping of ball and even worse trying to act like they did nothing wrong. I assume many YSU fans got tickets thru other means despite this.

Anyway .. anyone come to reasonable conclusion on % crowd was split by school ? Pictures suggest at least 80/20 for JMU ... but I saw lot of empty seats in prime space that are red like YSU so probably not even 20%.

blackbeard
May 9th, 2019, 10:35 AM
https://footballstadiumdigest.com/2018/12/new-birmingham-stadium-breaks-ground/

Here is the venue where the FCS Championships should be hosted. Opening in 2021, new home to UAB Football. 45k seats, expandable to 55k for some events, right in the heart of a busy and growing entertainment district in the city known as the Football Capital of the South.

DFW HOYA
May 9th, 2019, 12:14 PM
The final has been very fortunate that it has featured large schools with traveling fan bases. Most schools don't have this, though. How will this event look in Birmingham when Cal Poly is playing Colgate?

JSUSoutherner
May 9th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Brisket is a synonym for BBQ for me.

Brisket is BBQ but BBQ is not brisket.

nodak651
May 9th, 2019, 01:50 PM
The final has been very fortunate that it has featured large schools with traveling fan bases. Most schools don't have this, though. How will this event look in Birmingham when Cal Poly is playing Colgate?

This is why Vegas or Orlando would be ideal. The number one thing the FCS should work on in regards to the championship game is getting fans of non championship teams to attend the game. It could be an annual party for FCS fans around the country.

Lorne_Malvo
May 9th, 2019, 01:52 PM
The best brisket is in central Texas.

Equating a region of Texas to the quality of their brisket is asinine.

Lorne_Malvo
May 9th, 2019, 01:56 PM
How will this event look in Birmingham when Cal Poly is playing Colgate?
I don think this scenario is something we will ever have to worry about. :)

BucBisonAtLarge
May 9th, 2019, 02:25 PM
so assuming the 14k was actual butts in seats, and did not include unused tickets purchased well in advance by Bison ... how did that corwd split .. JMU vs YSU ? Though assume there were some neutral fans in attendance too.

And yes I recall the YSU ticket debacle .. total dropping of ball and even worse trying to act like they did nothing wrong. I assume many YSU fans got tickets thru other means despite this.

Anyway .. anyone come to reasonable conclusion on % crowd was split by school ? Pictures suggest at least 80/20 for JMU ... but I saw lot of empty seats in prime space that are red like YSU so probably not even 20%.

I was there. It was a great environment, and remember the ratio a bit differently, but JMU travels very well. I got the tickets through the resale system set up by the NCAA. It worked, but the ticket uncertainty in the run-up to the game does suppress attendance. I would consider traveling to the game (it's a day away right now) but tickets can be unavailable.

I married a YSU alum who has been at all seven YSU 1-AA/FCS championship games. Each game is a story. ISU-R (and Bucknell) have been to exactly none. I hope we have a chance to worry about championship tickets. The Penguins at least got to have those issues.

JSUSoutherner
May 9th, 2019, 02:25 PM
https://footballstadiumdigest.com/2018/12/new-birmingham-stadium-breaks-ground/

Here is the venue where the FCS Championships should be hosted. Opening in 2021, new home to UAB Football. 45k seats, expandable to 55k for some events, right in the heart of a busy and growing entertainment district in the city known as the Football Capital of the South.

No. Birmingham is a ****hole.

uni88
May 9th, 2019, 02:46 PM
I was there. It was a great environment, and remember the ratio a bit differently, but JMU travels very well. I got the tickets through the resale system set up by the NCAA. It worked, but the ticket uncertainty in the run-up to the game does suppress attendance. I would consider traveling to the game (it's a day away right now) but tickets can be unavailable.

I married a YSU alum who has been at all seven YSU 1-AA/FCS championship games. Each game is a story. ISU-R (and Bucknell) have been to exactly none. I hope we have a chance to worry about championship tickets. The Penguins at least got to have those issues.January 10, 2015.