PDA

View Full Version : Which FCS School Made the Best Coaching Hire?

Catatonic
January 2nd, 2017, 07:02 AM
13 FCS schools will have new head coaches for 2017. Eleven of those have hired their new guy. Howard and Indiana State are searching.

Which of these schools have made the best hire in your opinion and why? Here are my thoughts:

Abilene Christian Adam Dorrel (42), HC NW Missouri (D2). Record as HC: 76-8. Led his team to the D2 playoffs each of the 6 years he was HC, including 3 national championships. Knows how to win and coach. Negatives: Has never built a struggling program. Not from Texas. Will have to establish relationships with Texas HS coaches. Grade A

Bryant James Perry (late 30’s). OC Princeton. Princeton was 28th in total offense (FCS) last season. Known as an innovative offensive coach. Never been a HC. Grade B.

Delaware Danny Rocco (56), HC Richmond. Record as HC: 90-42 at Richmond and Liberty. Guided Richmond to the FCS semifinals and two additional trips to the playoffs. Grade A+

Elon Curt Cignetti (55), HC, IUP (D2). Record as HC: 53-17. Three trips to the D2 playoffs. From the region which should help with recruiting. Solid if not spectacular hire. Grade B+

Furman Clay Hendrix (early 50’s). Associate HC and OL coach Air Force Academy. Perfect fit for Furman. Forman grad and went to HS in the area (Commerce, Ga). Familiar with a scheme at AFA that is tailored to Furman. Negative: has never been a HC. Grade A-

Lafayette John Garrett (51). OC Richmond. Previous experience as an assistant and OC with NFL and FBS teams. Very good offensive team at Richmond last season. Never been HC. Grade B+

Lamar Mike Schultz (58) 2016-not in coaching. Previous experience as OC at Texas State, Middle Tenn, Illinois and TCU. Grade C

Presbyterian (SC) Tommy Spangler (55). DC Presbyterian. Previously served as HC at Presbyterian (D2). HC record: 42-24 with one trip to D2 playoffs. Grade B

Richmond Russ Huesman (56). HC Chattanooga. Record as HC: 59-37. Has guided Chatty to the FCS playoffs 3 consecutive years. Grade A+

Tennessee-Chattanooga Tom Arth (35) HC John Carroll (D3). Record as HC: 40-8. Led John Carroll to the D3 playoffs 3 of the 4 years he was HC, advancing as far as the semifinals. Grade B

UC Davis Dan Hawkins (56). OC Vikings Vienna, Austrian Football League. Previously HC at Colorado, Boise State, Willamette (NAIA). Record as HC: 112-61-1, including a NAIA national championship and 5 bowl teams. Grade B

Biggest surprise so far: No one has hired Jamey Chadwell.

I am voting for Dorrel. I admit to a bias since my school hired him, but this looks like a home run hire to me particularly since we lack the resources to offer the bigger bucks that Delaware and Richmond can throw around.

Daytripper
January 2nd, 2017, 11:35 AM
I like the Rocco hire. I like Huesman and Dorrel as well. Lamar choked on their hire. They had the opportunity to make a statement and hire a legit HC. Instead, they hire a life-time assistant who wasn't even coaching last year...ANYWHERE. Lamar is a sleeping giant IMO, but they always think small.

Catatonic
January 2nd, 2017, 12:27 PM
I like the Rocco hire. I like Huesman and Dorrel as well. Lamar choked on their hire. They had the opportunity to make a statement and hire a legit HC. Instead, they hire a life-time assistant who wasn't even coaching last year...ANYWHERE. Lamar is a sleeping giant IMO, but they always think small.

Agree across the board. In addition to the three you mentioned, Hendrix looks like a great pick for Furman. He played for Furman back when Furman was relevant. He is widely recognized for his expertise as an OL and run game coordinator. Knows the area from a recruiting perspective. Hard not to like this pick.

Arth is an interesting pick. A very young guy who has had a lot of success as a D3 coach. FCS is two steps up but he could prove to be a winner.

I don't get Lamar. Why didn't they go for some of the other guys whose names were being tossed around---Chadwell or the Valdosta State coach would have been better picks imo.

RootinFerDukes
January 2nd, 2017, 12:36 PM
Nothing against ACU, but would ACU be an upgrade for CSU's Chadwell at this point? It involves a rebuilding of a SLC program that has not seen the playoffs so far, although it is a proven 2-bid conference. The Big South is likely a one bid conference moving forward, but the path to the playoffs and overall success is more obvious right now at CSU.

I went with UD taking Rocco. The guy wins where we goes and should get UD back to the playoffs in relatively short order. It is also rare to see a hire within the conference. It has to humble the spatters a little bit to see that happen.

Catatonic
January 2nd, 2017, 01:11 PM
Nothing against ACU, but would ACU be an upgrade for CSU's Chadwell at this point? It involves a rebuilding of a SLC program that has not seen the playoffs so far, although it is a proven 2-bid conference. The Big South is likely a one bid conference moving forward, but the path to the playoffs and overall success is more obvious right now at CSU.

I went with UD taking Rocco. The guy wins where we goes and should get UD back to the playoffs in relatively short order. It is also rare to see a hire within the conference. It has to humble the spatters a little bit to see that happen.

I didn't make the comment about Chadwell relative to ACU. I am just surprised he hasn't been hired by another school. He is underpaid and his home football stadium is undersized and underwhelming. Conditions are ripe for some school to snap him up. ACU got the coach we wanted. Time will tell whether it was a good hire but on paper, its hard not to be excited. I wonder more about why Lamar didn't make a bid for Chadwell?

Oh, and about ACU not seeing the playoffs since moving up for D2. There are lots of reasons for this. Chief among them, ACU has not been eligible for the play offs per NCAA rules for move up teams. 2017 will be the first year it would even be possible for ACU to advance to the playoffs. It's also the first year conference and NCAA revenue sharing money will begin to trickle in, which will ease budget constraints.

i like the Rocco hire, too. Note that I gave Delaware an A for hiring him.

longtimemocfan
January 2nd, 2017, 04:03 PM
I actually wanted Chadwell really bad for Chattanooga, but I totally understand why they decided to go another direction. Chadwell has already been nabbed for secondary recruiting violations, then you have the 30 player suspension deal. I think the brass at Chattanooga was a little leary of him. Word is Arth just totally knocked it out of the park with his interview and vision for the program.

Mocs123
January 2nd, 2017, 04:08 PM
I have warmed to Arth quite a bit and am excited to see what he is able to do. We will know a lot more about 11:00pm on 8/26.

Mocdaddy
January 2nd, 2017, 04:30 PM
I think everyone has some questions and concerns about new coaching staffs when brought aboard. Most think their hires are great for their respective programs. Whether good or bad, we will certainly know about this time next year.

penguinpower
January 2nd, 2017, 04:54 PM
You can vote on Hero Sports

Milktruck74
January 2nd, 2017, 06:06 PM
I think Richmond got a great fit....and Arth will either be the a GREAT hire or a total flop. Time will tell. I really like what I see and hear. Based on the ADs last few hires (WBB, MBB, MBB), I'll just trust that the guy knows what talent looks like.

superman7515
January 2nd, 2017, 10:16 PM
I think everyone has some questions and concerns about new coaching staffs when brought aboard. Most think their hires are great for their respective programs. Whether good or bad, we will certainly know about this time next year.

Way to put yourself out there and really go out on a limb with a strong opinion.

Milktruck74
January 2nd, 2017, 10:18 PM
Way to put yourself out there and really go out on a limb with a strong opinion.

Haha. Thought the same thing when I made my post about the best or the worst hire out there.......Time will tell,

JMU2K_DukeDawg
January 3rd, 2017, 03:55 AM
I know when Everette Withers was hired for JMU, most of us liked the fact that he had so much experience at the FBS level, particularly on championship Ohio State teams as an assistant. However, when we looked deeper we could see that the stats for the defensive side of the ball at all his schools got worse. OSU was thankful that JMU took him, and was pretty sure he'd be fired if he hadn't landed the coaching position. He also brought in a number of assistants that probably looked about the same age as some of the football players and were very green, but flashed potential. JMU got bad fast on the defensive side of the ball, and Coach Withers rode GT xfer Vad Lee until that horse broke and he was on the first bus out of town (typical of his career). To his credit, Withers recruited some great talent - he just is not a good coach.

Enter Coach Houston. We knew he took D2 Lenoir-Rhyne from crap to the D2 Title game. He came to an average Citadel squad and made it a national championship contender in just 2 seasons. So although he was/is working his way up the ladder, the results were impressive and continue to be. But what made us JMU fans the most excited about the Houston hire were the assistants that he brought in. It's not like JMU throws so much $$$ around to personnel as they do infrastructure for the school. But Houston managed to steal UR's DC, a solid D2 VUU team's HC for an assistant position, ECU's offensive coordinator, and Virginia Tech's TE and Recruiting Coordinator (also a JMU alum) to construct what I consider to be the most experienced, competent coaching staff in all of FCS. It's quite impressive and surely can't last too long.

So, I share this to say look deeper than the HC. The assistants are just as important. Jeff Durden OC at Richmond following Huesman, for example. These are the people that will make the transitions less painful and more effective. It will be interesting to follow Coach Dorrel - it sounds like he will get an opportunity to make a big name for himself and put Abilene Christian on the map outside of Texas. Good luck!!

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2017, 06:45 AM
Agree across the board. In addition to the three you mentioned, Hendrix looks like a great pick for Furman. He played for Furman back when Furman was relevant. He is widely recognized for his expertise as an OL and run game coordinator. Knows the area from a recruiting perspective. Hard not to like this pick.

Arth is an interesting pick. A very young guy who has had a lot of success as a D3 coach. FCS is two steps up but he could prove to be a winner.

I don't get Lamar. Why didn't they go for some of the other guys whose names were being tossed around---Chadwell or the Valdosta State coach would have been better picks imo.

Kerwin Bell hasn't been hired by anyone yet? someone better grab him fast, he would be a good get I believe

PaladinNation
January 3rd, 2017, 07:01 AM
Hard not be excited if your a Paladin. The intangibles of the Hendrix hire for Furman Football is huge.

School support has been terrible, budgets, admissions, fan apathy, former player apathy. Furman fans have to pinch ourselves to make sure this isn't a dream. Furman announced a football only fund, former players are backing this hire with coin and committment. By the way relationships between a Clay Hendrix staff and the former coaching staff with high school coaches will be night and day.

And for FCS fans outside of the Furman family and Tennessee, it's understandable to not see the value of the hire of George Quarles. Hendrix and Quarles have always wanted to coach together, it took this opportunity for George to leave Maryville. (has had offers from UT).

Quarles, a 1989 Furman graduate and starting wide receiver on the Paladins' 1988 NCAA FCS (I-AA) National Championship team, has spent 22 years at Maryville (Tenn.) High School, including the last 18 as head coach, during which time he recorded a stupendous coaching record of 250-16 (.939), making him one of the most successful prep coaches in the United States. The fastest coach in U.S. high school football history to register 200 wins, he guided Maryville to 11 state championships, including the last four in TSSAA Class 6A, and 15 state title game appearances, and won at least 10 games every season there.

Last nugget on the Hendrix hire, most of us thought Quarles would be the OC and we would see his twin spread offense, Nope. The OC is Drew Cronic. Cronic runs a mash-up of wing t and spread with an emphasis on movement.

Cronic, who served as an assistant coach at Furman for nine seasons (2002-10), returns to Greenville following five years at Reinhardt (Ga.) University, where he served as head coach the last two seasons and posted a combined 22-3 record. This fall he directed the Eagles to a 13-1 campaign, Mid-South Conference championship, and semifinal finish in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) playoffs with a squad that averaged 51.1 points and 550.6 yards per game.

Hendrix, Quarles and Cronic have all used the word unique to describe what we will see when the Paladin offense is on the field. Go Dins!

ASU33
January 3rd, 2017, 12:57 PM
Gotta go Rocco

superman7515
January 3rd, 2017, 02:04 PM
My dog's name is Rocco, so he's been very confused about some of the conversations in the house the last few weeks.

Milktruck74
January 3rd, 2017, 03:34 PM
It'll be fun to revisit this after the season....and maybe in 3 more years. I'm too lazy to do the research, but who were the big hires 3 or 4 years ago? wonder if those fans are still as excited or mad as they were when they were announced?

citdog
January 3rd, 2017, 03:49 PM
It'll be fun to revisit this after the season....and maybe in 3 more years. I'm too lazy to do the research, but who were the big hires 3 or 4 years ago? wonder if those fans are still as excited or mad as they were when they were announced?

I'm pretty happy!

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2017, 04:40 PM
It's a toss-up with Rocco at Delaware, but for overall improvement of the program in the first year, I'm going with the homer pick and say John Garrett at Lafayette College. Garrett has resources and experience that have never been seen or known in the Patriot League. Games for 2017 against Harvard, Princeton, Villanova and Lehigh will prove his worth. If Garrett beats three of the four, he'll be worshiped as a deity on College Hill.

I'm somewhat mystified by the OP's decision to assign Coach Garrett his lowest grade amongst the group of new hires, but watching Lehigh suck it for the next decade would make my life complete. xnodx

Catatonic
January 3rd, 2017, 05:18 PM
It's a toss-up with Rocco at Delaware, but for overall improvement of the program in the first year, I'm going with the homer pick and say John Garrett at Lafayette College. Garrett has resources and experience that have never been seen or known in the Patriot League. Games for 2017 against Harvard, Princeton, Villanova and Lehigh will prove his worth. If Garrett beats three of the four, he'll be worshiped as a deity on College Hill.

I'm somewhat mystified by the OP's decision to assign Coach Garrett his lowest grade amongst the group of new hires, but watching Lehigh suck it for the next decade would make my life complete. xnodx

look again. I gave Garrett a solid B well ahead of the C for Mike Schultz of Lamar, who wasn't in coaching last year, has never been a HC, and wasn't particularly effective in his last gig as an OC. Garrett did an excellent job at Richmond as OC.
Lamar Mike Schultz (58) 2016-not in coaching. Previous experience as OC at Texas State, Middle Tenn, Illinois and TCU. Grade C+

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2017, 06:09 PM
look again. I gave Garrett a solid B well ahead of the C for Mike Schultz of Lamar, who wasn't in coaching last year, has never been a HC, and wasn't particularly effective in his last gig as an OC. Garrett did an excellent job at Richmond as OC.
Lamar Mike Schultz (58) 2016-not in coaching. Previous experience as OC at Texas State, Middle Tenn, Illinois and TCU. Grade C+

Whoops. My bad. :p

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 3rd, 2017, 07:51 PM
My dog's name is Rocco, so he's been very confused about some of the conversations in the house the last few weeks.

How is your pooch's "vision"?

superman7515
January 3rd, 2017, 07:56 PM
How is your pooch's "vision"?

Pretty good. He's the best wingman on four legs!

http://i.imgur.com/9xROd1d.jpg

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 3rd, 2017, 08:01 PM
I think you missed my joke but nice looking dog.

superman7515
January 3rd, 2017, 08:09 PM
I think you missed my joke but nice looking dog.

I got the joke, but considering the ladies dig his blue eyes, it segued nicely.

spdram
January 3rd, 2017, 09:02 PM
Richmond fans were pretty upset when Huesman left after 08, but happy for him to have the chance to coach at his alma mater, UTC. Since he came back to Richmond the fan base appears excited, the feeling is he can build on what Rocco did, and has a greater chance to reach new heights. Fans seem to especially like the extensive HC & C experience of the staff he has gathered. When Rocco left Liberty their fan base was perplexed and had mixed emotions when he left, many actually appeared relieved he was gone. Although there was a general satisfaction with Rocco at Richmond there was also a feeling he had done all he could do, when he left fans were upset that he left when things were becoming stable, but fans were more upset by the way he attempted to denigrate the program on his way out. Time will tell, but the Spiders believe they upgraded. I'll vote for Huesman.

PaladinFan
January 4th, 2017, 05:10 AM
Hard not be excited if your a Paladin. The intangibles of the Hendrix hire for Furman Football is huge.

School support has been terrible, budgets, admissions, fan apathy, former player apathy. Furman fans have to pinch ourselves to make sure this isn't a dream. Furman announced a football only fund, former players are backing this hire with coin and committment. By the way relationships between a Clay Hendrix staff and the former coaching staff with high school coaches will be night and day.

And for FCS fans outside of the Furman family and Tennessee, it's understandable to not see the value of the hire of George Quarles. Hendrix and Quarles have always wanted to coach together, it took this opportunity for George to leave Maryville. (has had offers from UT).

Quarles, a 1989 Furman graduate and starting wide receiver on the Paladins' 1988 NCAA FCS (I-AA) National Championship team, has spent 22 years at Maryville (Tenn.) High School, including the last 18 as head coach, during which time he recorded a stupendous coaching record of 250-16 (.939), making him one of the most successful prep coaches in the United States. The fastest coach in U.S. high school football history to register 200 wins, he guided Maryville to 11 state championships, including the last four in TSSAA Class 6A, and 15 state title game appearances, and won at least 10 games every season there.

Last nugget on the Hendrix hire, most of us thought Quarles would be the OC and we would see his twin spread offense, Nope. The OC is Drew Cronic. Cronic runs a mash-up of wing t and spread with an emphasis on movement.

Cronic, who served as an assistant coach at Furman for nine seasons (2002-10), returns to Greenville following five years at Reinhardt (Ga.) University, where he served as head coach the last two seasons and posted a combined 22-3 record. This fall he directed the Eagles to a 13-1 campaign, Mid-South Conference championship, and semifinal finish in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) playoffs with a squad that averaged 51.1 points and 550.6 yards per game.

Hendrix, Quarles and Cronic have all used the word unique to describe what we will see when the Paladin offense is on the field. Go Dins!

Cannot devalue the recruiting aspect either. Most of Furman's players come from Georgia. Hendrix is a Georgian and recruits Georgia for Air Force, which has a lot of Georgians on their roster. He is already a known entity in that state, and does not have to spend years introducing himself.

He also hired Drew Cronic, a former UGA player and son of a long time high school football coach in Georgia and a guy that was already an active recruiter at Reinhardt.

Add to that Quarrels, who has instant name recognition in Tennessee.

These are guys that give Furman the opportunity to be relevant in recruiting day one not to mention are really good coaches.

Catatonic
January 4th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Interesting to look at the results thus far. No real surprises. There's strong support for the two coaches (Rocco, Huesman) who have proven themselves by winning at other FCS schools prior to their new gig. At the next tier, there is support for a guy who has been wildly successful as a D2 coach (Dorrel), followed by a FBS coach who is returning to his alma mater (Hendrix).

It's all speculation at this point, of course. We can all cite well known examples of coaches who have been successful at one school who were either flops (Strong, Texas) or wildly successful (Saban, Bama) at another school, coaches who moved up from a lower level FCS or G5 school who either failed (Miles, Ga State ) or were successful ( Kelly, Eastern Michigan, Cincinnati ) at the next level, coordinators or assistants who succeeded (Herman, Houston) or who disappointed (Muschamp, Florida).

We could also cite examples of coaches who picked veteran staffers from peer programs or the NFL who worked out (Saban, 'Bama) or not (Brown, Texas) or who were more successful going the route of hiring a young staff of guys moving up from lower ranks (Klieman, NDSU).

Bottom line: We will all know more in 3-4 years but that should not stop us from speculating now.

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2017, 06:45 AM
The best hire could still be out there as more FBS coaching positions open up, and the trickle up continues.

ngineer
January 5th, 2017, 01:25 PM
As much as I hate to tip a hat to the Spotted Pussies, I think Garrett will be a very acquisition for them. He seems to be the type who can bring some 'juice' to the program that needs several shots of adrenaline.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I hate to tip a hat to the Spotted Pussies, I think Garrett will be a very acquisition for them. He seems to be the type who can bring some 'juice' to the program that needs several shots of adrenaline.

whoanellie
January 5th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I think when one looks a bit deeper into Cignetti's resume' and see who He has worked with and where I believe He deserves an "A".
The big If in the room is If He can translate his ability to develop quarterbacks, which has been Elon's Achilles Heel. His track record is a big Hell Yes! I think it spells success for Elon's success. Thanks for the honorable mention.

Catatonic
January 5th, 2017, 02:49 PM
I think when one looks a bit deeper into Cignetti's resume' and see who He has worked with and where I believe He deserves an "A".
The big If in the room is If He can translate his ability to develop quarterbacks, which has been Elon's Achilles Heel. His track record is a big Hell Yes! I think it spells success for Elon's success. Thanks for the honorable mention.

Scott Bilo (Twitter) agrees with you. He rates Cignetti as an A+ hire.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2017, 03:52 PM

My homer vote for John Garrett too!

Bill
January 5th, 2017, 07:10 PM
I concur. I believe Garrett will turn things around by year 2 or 3. By that time all the Lehigh posters will be calling for Cohen's head again.xrolleyesx

Daytripper
January 6th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Looks like Minnesota will hire P.J. Fleck. That is a G5 job now open (W. Michigan). Also, will hiring a dynamic personality (and recruiter?) at Minnesota adversely impact NDSU recruiting in that state?

Bisonator
January 6th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Looks like Minnesota will hire P.J. Fleck. That is a G5 job now open (W. Michigan). Also, will hiring a dynamic personality (and recruiter?) at Minnesota adversely impact NDSU recruiting in that state?
I doubt it but we'll see and NDSU isn't the only FCS school recruiting MN heavily. I'm guessing we will still get most of the kids we want there.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2017, 10:06 AM

I was listening to 93X this morning and Randy Shaver called him the, and I quote "Next Tim Brewster". Nick went into a frenzy and I thought he was going to lose it, and had he not been on air, I bet he would have said some questionable words. Randy calmed him down when he said he has the energy of him and Nick made it clear that that is a dis and not something to compliment with. If he turns into Tim Brewster, I am more than happy to see that. He seems like a nice guy but when the Gophers lose, America wins. Kind of like when the Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, and Cheatriots lose, America wins.

Thumper 76
January 6th, 2017, 04:25 PM
I was listening to 93X this morning and Randy Shaver called him the, and I quote "Next Tim Brewster". Nick went into a frenzy and I thought he was going to lose it, and had he not been on air, I bet he would have said some questionable words. Randy calmed him down when he said he has the energy of him and Nick made it clear that that is a dis and not something to compliment with. If he turns into Tim Brewster, I am more than happy to see that. He seems like a nice guy but when the Gophers lose, America wins. Kind of like when the Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, and Cheatriots lose, America wins.

You must be salty about the nfl playoffs then. How are your ravens and Vikings doing? I remember catching quite a bit of **** at the mid season mark.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2017, 04:52 PM
You must be salty about the nfl playoffs then. How are your ravens and Vikings doing? I remember catching quite a bit of **** at the mid season mark.....

I do not like the Vikings and at least my Ravens won a SB this decade. It does suck that they lost but since they won a SB recently, I am good to go. The one thing that is beyond annoying was that the Ravens lost to Trashburgh. Good thing is your packers are straight trash and even the refs wont be able to save them this weekend.

The only time I am salty is when the Wild lose or when people think basketball is a sport. Otherwise, I am easy going unless the person I know does the following, which requires heavy scrutiny: prefers Miller Genuine Draft, supports the SDSU Jackrabbits, and are Green Bay Packers fans.

Thumper 76
January 6th, 2017, 05:57 PM
I do not like the Vikings and at least my Ravens won a SB this decade. It does suck that they lost but since they won a SB recently, I am good to go. The one thing that is beyond annoying was that the Ravens lost to Trashburgh. Good thing is your packers are straight trash and even the refs wont be able to save them this weekend.

The only time I am salty is when the Wild lose or when people think basketball is a sport. Otherwise, I am easy going unless the person I know does the following, which requires heavy scrutiny: prefers Miller Genuine Draft, supports the SDSU Jackrabbits, and are Green Bay Packers fans.

Funny how trash kept your team out of the playoffs and my trash is in the playoffs xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Funny how trash kept your team out of the playoffs and my trash is in the playoffs xcoffeex

https://i.imgflip.com/1h7qoz.jpg

BluBengal07
January 6th, 2017, 07:02 PM
i guess who ever has Coach of the Yearxcoffeex

Thumper 76
January 6th, 2017, 07:19 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1h7qoz.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170107/f6a6339ca31d1c5a92d5b747aa312a50.jpg

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2017, 08:34 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170107/f6a6339ca31d1c5a92d5b747aa312a50.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/1h7xig.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/1h7xkf.jpg

Thumper 76
January 6th, 2017, 08:36 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1h7xig.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/1h7xkf.jpg

Guess you don't need to worry about that being tarnished this year then xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Guess you don't need to worry about that being tarnished this year then xcoffeex

They got bored with having the best win percentage of all time and wanted to give your precious #NoPackNo more chances for Joe Buck to worship A.A. Ron Rodgers and then have his heart broken when he loses.

Thumper 76
January 6th, 2017, 08:40 PM
They got bored with having the best win percentage of all time and wanted to give your precious #NoPackNo more chances for Joe Buck to worship A.A. Ron Rodgers and then have his heart broken when he loses.

Just means you haven't made it often, congrats on that.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Just means you haven't made it often, congrats on that.

10/20 seasons compared to the Packers and their 32/95 seasons? Keep spitting that narrative.

But we regressed from the main topic so it is time to get back on track.

Thumper 76
January 6th, 2017, 09:27 PM
10/20 seasons compared to the Packers and their 32/95 seasons? Keep spitting that narrative.

But we regressed from the main topic so it is time to get back on track.

Right, the part where the ravens didn't even make the playoffs but you call teams that did trash.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Right, the part where the ravens didn't even make the playoffs but you call teams that did trash.

Do the Texans ring a bell? Or how about the Raiders without Carr? Or how about the Dolphins who were curbed stomped by the "trash" Ravens 38-6? Come on man!

Catatonic
January 7th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Back to the topic of the thread....

Scott Bilo's football blog grades for new FCS coaching hires are out.....3 A+ hires---Rocco, Cignettti and Dorrel. Bilo is not quite as high on Huesman and most on here, giving him a B+.http://bilofootball.blogspot.com/

Daytripper
January 8th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Will W. Michigan poach an FCS coach? Were they waiting for Mike Houston?

Pard4Life
January 9th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Next year's Delaware-Lafayette game is now that much more interesting...

HENJOHN
January 9th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Rocco and Cignetti in my opinion. Garrett could do good things at Easton.

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Next year's Delaware-Lafayette game is now that much more interesting...

No doubt about that, both of the ousted coaches were pretty good at boring the crowd

Catatonic
January 10th, 2017, 06:39 AM
Rocco and Cignetti in my opinion. Garrett could do good things at Easton.

Rocco is a no brainer. Why Cignetti over Dorrel? Cignetti and Dorrel are both moving up from the D2 ranks and Dorrel's resume is much more impressive. This is not to disparage Cignetti. Rather it is to question why he gets the nod over Dorrel?

Daytripper
January 12th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Rumor is that Tim Cramsey, former UNH and Montana State OC, is in the mix for SHSU OC job.

Gangtackle11
January 12th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Cocko (what better school for that nickname to fit than UD in the CAA?) is the most impactful as he's joined a program steeped in a winning tradition that has a new AD who appears to have the eggs to bring Delaware back to the forefront of the FCS.

Delaware has my full attention with his hiring. I dislike Cocko & love to plunk the feathers often of our rival the past decade. (28-21-1 & 9-1 in last 10.) The basketball school is also the football school until Cocko does something about it.. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
January 12th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Cocko (what better school for that nickname to fit than UD in the CAA?) is the most impactful as he's joined a program steeped in a winning tradition that has a new AD who appears to have the eggs to bring Delaware back to the forefront of the FCS.

Delaware has my full attention with his hiring. I dislike Cocko & love to plunk the feathers often of our rival the past decade. (28-21-1 & 9-1 in last 10.) The basketball school is also the football school until Cocko does something about it.. xpeacex

How has Rocco/Richmond fared vs Nova? Honest question...

The Pud
January 12th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Rumor is that Tim Cramsey, former UNH and Montana State OC, is in the mix for SHSU OC job.

This would be a good hire if true. He was also Nevada's former OC

Gangtackle11
January 12th, 2017, 08:15 AM
How has Rocco/Richmond fared vs Nova? Honest question...

2016: win 23-0 @ UR
2015: Lost 21-20 @ Villanova
2014: Win 10-9 @ UR
2013: no game
2012: win 28-17 @ UR

Rocco is 3-1 vs. Villanova. Home team winning all 4 games.

caribbeanhen
January 12th, 2017, 10:00 AM

haha, hence the nickname... we got you now!

Bogus Megapardus
January 12th, 2017, 05:03 PM

There was some speculation that Cramsey was one of the finalists for the Lafayette HC job but the rumor turned out not to be true. A number of people on the Lafayette board hoped he would get the job, though. He'd be a terrific OC for Sam Houston if you could get him.

Gangtackle11
January 12th, 2017, 05:10 PM
haha, hence the nickname... we got you now!

Not so fast, but you can dream big! You also play us away meaning loss for Cocko & the boys!

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 12th, 2017, 10:06 PM

The 2012 game was at your place.

whoanellie
October 27th, 2017, 02:18 PM
I suppose after 10 months into these hires, Elon's Cignetti looks like Annie Sullivan (The miracle worker for Hellen Keller)
think the powers that be are changing the fight song to Tom Petty's "Into the great wide open"

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Clay Hendrix is probably the best out of this list thus far this season

Wildcat1997
October 27th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Dorrel has only won 2 games this year but the team has been much improved, especially on defense, but I still think it’s going to take 3 years to truly turn ACU around.

BisonTru
October 27th, 2017, 03:59 PM

I'd go with second. Rocco's turn around in Delaware is the most impressive of the bunch, IMO.

caribbeanhen
October 27th, 2017, 04:44 PM
I suppose after 10 months into these hires, Elon's Cignetti looks like Annie Sullivan (The miracle worker for Hellen Keller)
think the powers that be are changing the fight song to Tom Petty's "Into the great wide open"

I would give it to Cignetti, a scarecrow could've turned Delaware around as that team was ready to break out

Catatonic
October 28th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Dorrel has only won 2 games this year but the team has been much improved, especially on defense, but I still think it’s going to take 3 years to truly turn ACU around.

Credit where credit edit is due: Cignetti and Hendrix have sprinted ahead of the pack coming off the starting block. Cignetti in particular has taken a team that won 2 games last year to what looks to be playoff team this year’s, barring a complete late season melt down.

Loke you I like what I have seen thus far from Dorrel but in terms of w’s and l’s we have not made the progress Cignetti and Hendrix have made.

R.A.
October 28th, 2017, 06:11 PM
HOWARD UNIVERSITY'S HIRE OF COACH MIKE LONDON... BEST HIRE.

gofurman
October 28th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Appreciate youngterrier. Good objective fan whose team refuses to lose. Furman and Wofford are tied for first in SoCon now !

Grandpa
October 29th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Cignetti by a landslide.

Professor
October 30th, 2017, 10:50 AM
HOWARD UNIVERSITY'S HIRE OF COACH MIKE LONDON... BEST HIRE.

Pretty much