PDA

View Full Version : RIP to Gary Laney, former McNeese Beat writer and long-time AGS poster.

FormerPokeCenter
December 23rd, 2016, 08:35 PM
Gary Laney, the former McNeese Beat writer, succumbed to a heart attack today in Baton Rouge. Gary had finished a morning Crossfit workout when he had a heart attack and was admitted to Baton Rouge General Hospital.

After leaving the Lake Charles American Press, Laney worked for the Baton Rouge Morning Advocate and then for Yahoo Sports, covering LSU and the SEC. He got out of full-time journalism in recent years and was pursuing a career as a realtor, though he'd begun to write more frequently for Saturday Down South.

Gary first began covering sports for the LCAP when he was still in high school as a student at Lake Charles High. He then attended McNeese where he continued to work for the LCAP and he wrote for The Contraband, the McNeese student publication.

He provided stellar coverage for McNeese during his tenure at the LCAP and was singled out by The Sports Network, for his superlative work covering the FCS.

He was a regular poster on GeauxCowboys and AGS under the nickname McBeat.

bonarae
December 23rd, 2016, 09:11 PM
RIP. I don't think I ever saw his posts, even as a long-time AGS poster. xcoffeex

Go...gate
December 23rd, 2016, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear this. Condolences and prayers to his family.

McNeese75
December 23rd, 2016, 09:45 PM
Damn, that really sucks. Gary was a really good guy and his coverage was spot on.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2016, 11:33 PM
Gary Laney, the former McNeese Beat writer, succumbed to a heart attack today in Baton Rouge. Gary had finished a morning Crossfit workout when he had a heart attack and was admitted to Baton Rouge General Hospital.

After leaving the Lake Charles American Press, Laney worked for the Baton Rouge Morning Advocate and then for Yahoo Sports, covering LSU and the SEC. He got out of full-time journalism in recent years and was pursuing a career as a realtor, though he'd begun to write more frequently for Saturday Down South.

Gary first began covering sports for the LCAP when he was still in high school as a student at Lake Charles High. He then attended McNeese where he continued to work for the LCAP and he wrote for The Contraband, the McNeese student publication.

He provided stellar coverage for McNeese during his tenure at the LCAP and was singled out by The Sports Network, for his superlative work covering the FCS.

He was a regular poster on GeauxCowboys and AGS under the nickname McBeat.

Man that really sucks. I remember him well but thought he posted as "McNeeseBeat" but could be wrong. His username didn't show up which I assume means his name was purged along with a few thousand others years back. He was a good and regular poster and brought that extra little bit of information for us due to his position. Was not real happy that he had to sort of step away when he took his new job but he was always such a good guy to talk with on here.

REP good sir. Condolences to his family and friends. Sad deal man.

BEAR
December 24th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Condolences to the Cowboy family. Life is so short....:(

ASU33
December 24th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Prayers to his family and loved ones!:(

TheRevSFA
December 24th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Sad to hear.

RIP

Drblankstare
December 24th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Sorry to hear this. Prayers for his family. 2016 just can't end soon enough

McNeese75
December 24th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Man that really sucks. I remember him well but thought he posted as "McNeeseBeat" but could be wrong. His username didn't show up which I assume means his name was purged along with a few thousand others years back. He was a good and regular poster and brought that extra little bit of information for us due to his position. Was not real happy that he had to sort of step away when he took his new job but he was always such a good guy to talk with on here.

REP good sir. Condolences to his family and friends. Sad deal man.

Yes, he was McNeeseBeat here. (or McBeat)

Nickels
December 24th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Condolences to Gary and his family.

Serpentor
December 25th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Sorry to hear.

VikingPSU
December 25th, 2016, 09:10 AM
RIP Gary, you were my friend and talked straight, so young