PDA

View Full Version : JMU VS YSU

Pages : 1 2 [3]

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2017, 06:28 AM
Pick the time frame that works for you. Care to go back to 2007? The point is MVFC sans the NDSU dynasty is the best, but not dominant.

Remember Thumper this is about the Wings not Paul McCartney.

hey.... that's my line..... POD knows this... Youngstown is the warm up band that finally gets a chance on the Big Stage as Paul (aka the Bison for our slow MFVC Fans) had to cancel due to a Doggie bite....haha

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 06:33 AM
hey.... that's my line..... POD knows this... Youngstown is the warm up band that finally gets a chance on the Big Stage as Paul (aka the Bison for our slow MFVC Fans) had to cancel due to a Doggie bite....haha

Never said it wasn't. Thought it hit the nail on the head. Now I have copyright lawyers from my own conference! Geez.....xpeacexxpeacexxpeacexxpeacexxpeacexxpeace x

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2017, 06:42 AM
Never said it wasn't. Thought it hit the nail on the head. Now I have copyright lawyers from my own conference! Geez.....xpeacexxpeacexxpeacexxpeacexxpeacexxpeace x

No worries from me, your using it for a very good cause.... Rocco better get busy and quick because Delaware and the Bison have a home and home coming up in 2018...

what songs will the warm up band from Rustbelt City be playing anyway?

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 06:55 AM
No worries from me, your using it for a very good cause.... Rocco better get busy and quick because Delaware and the Bison have a home and home coming up in 2018...

what songs will the warm up band from Rustbelt City be playing anyway?

In honor of Bo's cat fetish: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_I1_5mSXinQ

but this one will bring the Penguin faithful to their feet:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50XOKoTrmxM

uni88
January 3rd, 2017, 10:03 AM
Pick the time frame that works for you. Care to go back to 2007? The point is MVFC sans the NDSU dynasty is the best, but not dominant.

Remember Thumper this is about the Wings not Paul McCartney.

The MVFC is probably more like Cream or similar. Yes Clapton was the headliner but Baker and Bruce were pretty darn good as well. Besides if the MVFC without the Bison is like the Wings without McCartney and ...

1st of all. I'll continue to repeat myself and say that I've never written that the CAA was better than the MVFC during the NDSU run. All I'll ever written is that besides NDSU the rest of you are no better than the top teams in the CAA.

then the CAA is also the Wings (or maybe American English).

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 10:50 AM
The MVFC is probably more like Cream or similar. Yes Clapton was the headliner but Baker and Bruce were pretty darn good as well. Besides if the MVFC without the Bison is like the Wings without McCartney and ...

then the CAA is also the Wings (or maybe American English).

Uni88: now you are getting with it. Us annoying city slicker folks (not really) out this way have written all along that it's NDSU that is dominant and not the MVFC. Glad you have joined the ranks, but I'd lock your doors because your MVFC brothers may take you to the nearest wood chipper for getting this right. xthumbsupx

Bisonator
January 3rd, 2017, 10:54 AM
CAA has 12 teams so what is your scheduling rotation like? Would the fact that your teams skip 3 conference teams lend itself to more quality team records and higher seeds then similar teams in the MVFC? Could this have a bearing on perceived strength?

JMUNJ08
January 3rd, 2017, 11:03 AM
CAA has 12 teams so what is your scheduling rotation like? Would the fact that your teams skip 3 conference teams lend itself to more quality team records and higher seeds then similar teams in the MVFC? Could this have a bearing on perceived strength?

The rotation is still in flux, especially since we do not have split divisions like before the last big movement of teams. Used to be you play your full division and then 3 rotating every two years (do H-H). In some years, yes, we could potentially have a few teams at 8-0/ 7-1 that did not play each other. This year In particular that did not happen as JMU for instance missed Stony Brook, Albany and Towson who were all middle of the pack and none made the playoffs. However, I do not think this changes the 'strength' of the conference. You may have to pick apart Albany's record a bit further to see their overall worthiness of an at-large bid but that doesn't change what team they were or the conference's DNA.

Most CAA/ FCS posters were not up in arms over Albany sitting at home come Thanksgiving...

Now a Big Sky Conference where you miss what seems to be half the conference... how the hell are you suppose to do that? Some teams barely have common opponents!

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 11:06 AM

No one knows for sure how the CAA creates the schedule rotations. A great mystery. Villanova has skipped Stony Brook & UNH the past 4 seasons. Missed W&M for Elon this season.

I guess it depends if you think Missouri State, Indiana State, & SIU are year in, year out quality teams. I don't. You guys do.

I also think it's been proven in recent playoff matchups that SDSU & ISUr are no better or worse than our playoff teams.

NDSU stood head & shoulders above the rest until JMU (our champ) showed up in Fargo. SDSU didn't beat them. JMU did.

So as far as this perceived strength of conference angle you are going after it's a bunch of crap like the Massey ratings. NDSU dominant 2011-2015. The rest look just like us CAA playoff teams on AGS.

uni88
January 3rd, 2017, 11:11 AM
Uni88: now you are getting with it. Us annoying city slicker folks (not really) out this way have written all along that it's NDSU that is dominant and not the MVFC. Glad you have joined the ranks, but I'd lock your doors because your MVFC brothers may take you to the nearest wood chipper for getting this right. xthumbsupx

It depends on how you define "getting with it." I've admitted that NDSU has been the cream of the MVFC crop for longer than you've been posting here. That doesn't change the reality that others in the MVFC that are pretty darn good too just like Cream where Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce are considered among the great drummers/bassists.

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 11:14 AM
It depends on how you define "getting with it." I've admitted that NDSU has been the cream of the MVFC crop for longer than you've been posting here. That doesn't change the reality that others in the MVFC that are pretty darn good too just like Cream where Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce are considered among the great drummers/bassists.

As are the majority of CAA teams.

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 11:19 AM
This all comes down to some (god help me if I don't write some) MVFC posters think because we have Rhode Island & Elon that our conference is somehow inferior to the MVFC. Until recently NDSU was way out in front of all of us (may still be after this JMU loss), but the rest of the MVFC is not better than the teams in the CAA.

They arent worse, but they just aren't better. You can take your argument to the Big Sky or SLC or any other conference you play often, but the small amount of games played between the wannabes & the CAA show no substantial evidence that the wannabes win hands down.

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 11:28 AM

He has an even more important matchup on the 3rd Saturday this November. xsmiley_wix

Bisonator
January 3rd, 2017, 11:54 AM
The last 6 years has created very few head to head PO matchups between the CAA and MVFC. Of those the record is 5-2 in favor of the MVFC, take out the NDSU games and it's 2-1 in favor of MVFC teams. Clearly the MVFC is better then the CAA. :D

JMUNJ08
January 3rd, 2017, 12:39 PM
The last 6 years has created very few head to head PO matchups between the CAA and MVFC. Of those the record is 5-2 in favor of the MVFC, take out the NDSU games and it's 2-1 in favor of MVFC teams. Clearly the MVFC is better then the CAA. :D

I mean, they win 67% of the time! xthumbsupx

POD Knows
January 3rd, 2017, 12:40 PM
I mean, they win 67% of the time! xthumbsupx

67% of the time it works every time

Noryan34
January 3rd, 2017, 12:53 PM
Just some simple math over last 6 years of FCS playoffs (2011-2016)

w/out NDSU
MCFV 18-7 72%
CAA 22-15 59%

include NDSU
MVFC 35-8 81%
CAA 23-19 55%

But hey 59% winning percentage is the same if not better than 72% winning percentage xeyebrowx
#mathishard

Lehigh'98
January 3rd, 2017, 01:00 PM
Just some simple math over last 6 years of FCS playoffs (2011-2016)

w/out NDSU
MCFV 18-7 72%
CAA 22-15 59%

include NDSU
MVFC 35-8 81%
CAA 23-19 55%

But hey 59% winning percentage is the same if not better than 72% winning percentage xeyebrowx
#mathishard Just let it die. There is no dominance in these numbers sans NDSU, that is the point.

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 01:09 PM
Just let it die. There is no dominance in these numbers sans NDSU, that is the point.

Good luck with them thinking anything less.

It's like Matt Cassel thinking he's great because he backs up Tom Brady.

Plus those numbers aren't against CAA only.

They want to gloat on 2 out of 3 so be it. Shows how simple minded some of them really are.

Noryan34
January 3rd, 2017, 01:22 PM
Just let it die. There is no dominance in these numbers sans NDSU, that is the point.

I removed the highest winning percentage team from MVFC record and they still had a better playoff record than the CAA. Removing those numbers from the CAA also removed a 1-4 record from the CAA so they got the benefit of the doubt twice and still have a lower percentage. But ya your right it doesn't mean anything. I mean it is just numbers of wins and losses in the playoffs that doesn't tell us who is really better. Better follows the FBS model and start making bowl games, I mean that's the real litmus test right? xeyebrowx

Come on man. I know math is hard but just look at the numbers. Playoffs records versus non-conference opponents. Playoff records used because everyone keeps saying our best is just as good as yours. Well numbers say otherwise. The numbers also suggest that the CAA is a very good conference (possibly even #2, not sure didn't look at other conferences), I am not saying the MVFC is light years ahead but the gap is real.

Noryan34
January 3rd, 2017, 01:23 PM
Good luck with them thinking anything less.

It's like Matt Cassel thinking he's great because he backs up Tom Brady.

Plus those numbers aren't against CAA only.

They want to gloat on 2 out of 3 so be it. Shows how simple minded some of them really are.

What was Cassels record away from the Patriots?

Hmmm. Removed NDSU and the MVFC record still better than the CAA. Well that didn't work for you did it.xthumbsupx

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 01:34 PM
What was Cassels record away from the Patriots?

Hmmm. Removed NDSU and the MVFC record still better than the CAA. Well that didn't work for you did it.xthumbsupx

A 72-59% advantage is not dominance. It's better, but not dominance.

Greatest conference ever. CAA or any other FCS conference doesn't belong on the same field.

MVFC should replace the Big 10.

There you go. You got what you want.

I watch a lot of FCS football for a long time & only NDSU has my respect as a dominant opponent with the way they play on the field.

The rest can and have been beaten enough times to tell me they are just like all of us who were looking to beat NDSU.

There is nothing to fear if you are a CAA team playing home or away an MVFC team. They are good, but nothing to fear.

Nothing in the minute amount of games played suggests dominance.

DirtyDukes
January 3rd, 2017, 01:36 PM
A 72-59% advantage is not dominance. It's better, but not dominance.

Greatest conference ever. CAA or any other FCS conference doesn't belong on the same field.

MVFC should replace the Big 10.

There you go. You got what you want.

I watch a lot of FCS football for a long time & only NDSU has my respect as a dominant opponent with the way they play on the field.

The rest can and have been beaten enough times to tell me they are just like all of us who were looking to beat NDSU.

There is nothing to fear if you are a CAA team playing home or away an MVFC team. They are good, but nothing to fear.

Nothing in the minute amount of games played suggests dominance.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gangtackle11 again."

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 01:41 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gangtackle11 again."

72-59 is essentially 7-6. That's considered dominance in bizarro world. Smh.

Thumper 76
January 3rd, 2017, 01:50 PM

xlolx you bend it how you want but a .720 win % is a hell of a jump above a .590 no matter how you try to slice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noryan34
January 3rd, 2017, 02:01 PM

Hey I can play with numbers too

72-59 is essentially 72,000,000,000,000 to 59,000,000,000,000 that is a 13 TRILLION difference. Huge. Just Huge.

#welcometobizarroworld

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 02:07 PM
Hey I can play with numbers too

72-59 is essentially 72,000,000,000,000 to 59,000,000,000,000 that is a 13 TRILLION difference. Huge. Just Huge.

#welcometobizarroworld

Or it can be 7.2 to 5.9

Nice try skippy.

JMUNJ08
January 3rd, 2017, 02:32 PM
xlolx you bend it how you want but a .720 win % is a hell of a jump above a .590 no matter how you try to slice it.

Breaking it down in real terms....out of an 11 game schedule....

That's 7.92-3.08 vs 6.49-4.51

Since we cannot win %'s of games, though most would like to...., that's at best an 8-3 vs 6-5 or 7-4 team. Most years, both get you in the post season anymore... that ain't Trump HUUUUUGE, though a difference.

Problem here, with any data, is that the past 5 year run by NDSU is the time period, if we extend 10 years, the CAA probably is even or ahead. Last 15? CAA. Last 25? Socon? As with any good poster or politician, spin it so it makes your pig look prettier

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 02:45 PM

Since we cannot win %'s of games, though most would like to...., that's at best an 8-3 vs 6-5 or 7-4 team. Most years, both get you in the post season anymore... that ain't Trump HUUUUUGE, though a difference.

Problem here, with any data, is that the past 5 year run by NDSU is the time period, if we extend 10 years, the CAA probably is even or ahead. Last 15? CAA. Last 25? Socon? As with any good poster or politician, spin it so it makes your pig look prettier

yep....I gave them the golden era of the MVFC to work with, but it's fair since it's recent.We've played 3 non-NDSU games so it's a huge sample. Not afraid of any of them. Good games for us to play because we'd win our share, but that won't happen much.

We were all Matt Cassel in a Tom Brady world except the MVFC teams think they were Peyton Manning & the NCAA screwed them. What a joke.

Noryan34
January 3rd, 2017, 02:50 PM

While I see your point in the time period. The point I keep hearing is that NDSU is the MVFC and without them the conference is meh at best. So I took the years of NDSU supposedly holding up the conference (last 6) and removed their record from both conferences in order to remove all weight NDSU had on playoff records against non conference opponents.

I used playoff teams and records because the argument earlier was the bottom feeders where skewing people's perception of the CAA (playoff teams=each conferences best teams). After all that was said and done MVFC non-conference playoff record was still 21.2% better than the CAA.

And yes with any data you can skew numbers to fit your purpose. Just like you did in squeezing 6 years of playoff records and suggesting regular season records would be somehow be a similar outcome. If we put that over a 6 year 11 game schedule (same time period as % used) then it becomes 47.52-18.42 or 47-18 + - 1 and 38.94-27.06 or 39-27 + - 1. so 8-10 wins better or the length of time specified by others. 8-10 wins better is clearly better, not saying it is monumental but it is real.

Noryan34
January 3rd, 2017, 02:54 PM
1st of all. I'll continue to repeat myself and say that I've never written that the CAA was better than the MVFC during the NDSU run. All I'll ever written is that besides NDSU the rest of you are no better than the top teams in the CAA. That hurts feelings from South Dakota to Egypt apparently.

I think what you say is what makes the CAA one of the better conferences. We have a lot of teams with a few exceptions that are very close to either making the playoffs each year or sitting at home. The CAA has UNH, Villanova, JMU, Richmond,W&M that duke it out every year not knowing who is the best team in conference. Right behind that group are teams that join the dance every once in awhile or getting damn close like Towson, Maine, Stony Brook, & now Albany. Delaware will be back soon with Rocco. Really only Elon & Rhody have had no chance over here & that may change with the new coach @ Elon over time.

What you may think is a negative is in my eyes seen as a positive for the CAA. Every year 6-8 teams are close enough to think they will make a playoff run. When I look at our upcoming schedule it's hard to say sans Rhody & Elon that a game is an automatic win. That's our consistency. You see that as a weakness? So be it. Another agree to disagree moment.

Sorry to hear about your hoops team. I think ours is pretty good. Ask your buddies from Omaha what they think? xpeacex

PS: who besides NDSU goes deep into the playoffs consistently from the MVFC? Please don't give me the "would've, could've, should've regionalization stops us from being somebody" argument again. Please.

So I removed NDSU records and MVFC still 21% better record than all CAA playoff teams. Hmmm xeyebrowx

#mathishard

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 02:56 PM
No one said the MVFC is meh. Said they aren't as bad ass as some of the posters think they are. They hide behind regionalization for their losses & try to tell us that we aren't worthy because we play lesser opponents perceived by them mostly. Hogwash.

I see several NEC teams traveling west to play you guys, but no one mentions that. No one is critical of an MVFC team that plays Drake or Southwestern State.

Noryan34
January 3rd, 2017, 03:06 PM
No one said the MVFC is meh. Said they aren't as bad ass as some of the posters think they are. They hide behind regionalization for their losses & try to tell us that we aren't worthy because we play lesser opponents. Hogwash.

I just quoted you as saying other than NDSU the rest is the same as the CAA. I showed numbers that proved otherwise during the time frame you specified.

Now I am not saying the difference is a kin to the height difference between Muggsy Bouges and Yao Ming, but the difference is there. And if you look back maybe only the last 3 years has the MVFC really become deep conference getting more teams in the playoffs (although expansion has helped in some regards).

Just showing that the gap between the two is there and is more than just a smidge. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 03:21 PM
Throw out all the stats you want. I've watched most if not all MVFC/CAA games since the NDSU run.

I saw NDSU beat Towson, UNH, & Richmond pretty good. I didn't see the 1st JMU game in 2011.

I saw ISUr beat UNH 21-18 in '14

I saw Richmond beat ISUr 39-27 in '15.

I was in Brookings for the SDSU 10-7 win over Villanova & I saw JMU beat NDSU 27-17 this year.

You can quote statistics all day long until the cows come home (probably an accurate statement).

What I have seen since 2011 is a great NDSU team & I have seen Richmond, UNH, & Nova play ISUr & SDSU toe to toe in great football games.

So you can try to make your mathematical cases all day long. They have some merit I suppose, but at the end of the day when our playoff teams have come across the top teams from the MVFC not named the dynasty team it's been a ballgame. You guys have won 2. CAA has won 1. Our 2 losses were by 3 points. Hardly dominating. Hardly bad asses of the gridiron. Like I've said all along it's us & then there was NDSU.

i can go to Massey if I want skewed stats. He has 5-6 UNI 10th with his math.,

Noryan34
January 3rd, 2017, 03:38 PM
Throw out all the stats you want. I've watched most if not all MVFC/CAA games since the NDSU run.

I saw NDSU beat Towson, UNH, & Richmond pretty good. I didn't see the 1st JMU game in 2011.

I saw ISUr beat UNH 21-18 in '14

I saw Richmond beat ISUr 39-27 in '15.

I was in Brookings for the SDSU 10-7 win over Villanova & I saw JMU beat NDSU 27-17 this year.

You can quote statistics all day long until the cows come home (probably an accurate statement).

What I have seen since 2011 is a great NDSU team & I have seen Richmond, UNH, & Nova play ISUr & SDSU toe to toe in great football games.

So you can try to make your mathematical cases all day long. They have some merit I suppose, but at the end of the day when our playoff teams have come across the top teams from the MVFC not named the dynasty team it's been a ballgame. You guys have won 2. CAA has won 1. Our 2 losses were by 3 points. Hardly dominating. Hardly bad asses of the gridiron. Like I've said all along it's us & then there was NDSU.

i can go to Massey if I want skewed stats. He has 5-6 UNI 10th with his math.,

#mathishard :( But your 'eye' test is the real deal!xthumbsupx

Where is the laughing so hard I am crying emoji? I am new here.

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 03:41 PM
#mathishard :( But your 'eye' test is the real deal!xthumbsupx

Where is the laughing so hard I am crying emoji? I am new here.

New or not you fit right in.

Get your calculator out because after JMU/YSU you're going to change the numbers. Maybe not to your liking either.

Noryan34
January 3rd, 2017, 03:47 PM
New or not you fit right in.

Get your calculator out because after JMU/YSU you're going to change the numbers. Maybe not to your liking either.

According to Nostradamus
MVFC 18-8 69%
CAA 23-15 60%

Hmmmm, yep still better. Wake me up when you understand math. yawn.............................................. ..

GoGuinsGo
January 3rd, 2017, 04:04 PM
Gangtackle- Sounds like you just had a large slice of humble pie. How’d it taste?

flyrod
January 3rd, 2017, 04:09 PM
Gangtackle- Sounds like you just had a large slice of humble pie. How’d it taste?

Like PENGUIN !

"also tastes like chicken"

:Dxdrunkyx

uni88
January 3rd, 2017, 05:34 PM
So this thread has pretty much devolved into Group A continuing to make their arguments over and over while completely ignoring Group B's arguments, all the while their cheerleaders are egging them on and wondering how Group B can be so dense and not understand. Meanwhile Group B continues to make their arguments over and over while completely ignoring Group A's arguments, all the while their cheerleaders are egging them on and wondering how Group A can be so dense and not understand.

JMUNJ08
January 3rd, 2017, 05:48 PM
So this thread has pretty much devolved into Group A continuing to make their arguments over and over while completely ignoring Group B's arguments, all the while their cheerleaders are egging them on and wondering how Group B can be so dense and not understand. Meanwhile Group B continues to make their arguments over and over while completely ignoring Group A's arguments, all the while their cheerleaders are egging them on and wondering how Group A can be so dense and not understand.

You just summed up the 2016 election cycle!

How about the game at hand then? Any updates?

Only updates from JMU is that our alumni association is anticipating nearly 10K in the area for the game. I assume most are going but I guess some might just be milling around. Purple & Gold expecting in large numbers with numerous events planned.

ytownchief22
January 3rd, 2017, 05:49 PM
Jesus, this thread...

The Yo Show
January 3rd, 2017, 08:57 PM
To take the thread off base, I'm going to point out there were those on AGS as mvfc posters recommending YSU should be in the CAA in the offseason / right before season started. Heck there were YSU posters saying on the YSU site that YSU would be a better fit in the CAA. It was an interesting argument to see both sides on both sites. I'm not sure I even have a point I'm making here with this comment except that it is just seems relevant with all the comments in this thread recently in that it has nothing to do with this game :D

Gangtackle11
January 3rd, 2017, 09:08 PM

You should probably stay focused on JMU.

superman7515
January 3rd, 2017, 09:20 PM
Which one of you pencil-necked, sheep-loving, Ashley Madison Pukes fans got your ass tattooed?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1M7wtqWEAEo1Df.jpg

mcveyrl
January 3rd, 2017, 09:55 PM
I hope for his sake we win next year...

Also, how cheap is that tat? Can we get some graphics or color or something??

alexale23
January 3rd, 2017, 11:07 PM
Which one of you pencil-necked, sheep-loving, Ashley Madison Pukes fans got your ass tattooed?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1M7wtqWEAEo1Df.jpg
Prolly a bison fan who lost a bet ....same reason wentz was wearing a jmu shirt last week

Bisonoline
January 4th, 2017, 12:10 AM

The fans need to stay focused???? Now theres a wild shot in the dark.

Gangtackle11
January 4th, 2017, 04:16 AM
The fans need to stay focused???? Now theres a wild shot in the dark.

You guys twist things like a pretzel. All I have ever said is the CAA teams vs. the MVFC teams not named NDSU have nothing to fear when they play them.

Out comes the history of all games played during the golden era of NDSU against all conferences to try to deflect what I stated and have always stated. That the MVFC teams not located in Fargo are no better than the top CAA teams. When you focus on that line & that line only it takes away all this 72-59% argument.

Head to head it's 2-1 non NDSU MVFC teams vs. CAA teams. You want to say in 3 games that is 67% then you are right, but I'm not buying the dominance given the scores of the games.

I'll go over it again for you:

2014: ISUr 21 UNH 18

2015: Richmond 39 ISUr 27

2016: SDSU 10 Villanova 7
JMU - YSU TBD

That's it for all you math majors who want to twist my words & broaden the argument to look better for the MVFC. Those are the only games that I know of where the other MVFC teams have played a CAA team in the playoffs. THAT WAS MY ARGUMENT. Not the overall record against all comers, but if you don't like my argument then I can see where you need to broaden it to fit your needs.

I could give 2 *****s how the big bad MVFC did against the SLC or Big Sky. My contention all along is the CAA teams are as good as the MVFC teams not named NDSU in the best era known to the MVFC.

You don't have to agree, but please stay on topic. WHEN THE CAA PLAYS NON-NDSU MVFC TEAMS THEY HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR. (JMU apparently fears no one in the MVFC BTW)

You think 2-1 with 2 3 point wins is significant so be it. Typical MVFC shout downs when they aren't told they rule the earth.

2-1 with very close games which tells me the MVFC not named NDSU is essentially the same as the CAA teams & probably other top conference teams, but maybe not. I only care to defend the CAA here.

I'm done here. Fire away. There will be no more responses from me. Good luck to JMU & YSU. May the best team win.

Haley's Five Rings
January 4th, 2017, 06:03 AM
Would it really be a "huge upset?" We already knocked off the #2 and #3 seeds in the playoffs on the road. This one is on a neutral field.

Yeah, it would.

JMU hasn't lost an FCS game this season. They've steamrolled through the bracket with an average margin of victory of over 30 points per game.

Along the way they made the FCS Coaches Poll #1 look like a high school jv squad and dominated the 5 time defending champions in their own house.

JMU is the clear favorite. Anything can happen on Saturday, but if these teams play 10 times, the Dukes win 9 of them going away.

penguinpower
January 4th, 2017, 07:31 AM
This all comes down to some (god help me if I don't write some) MVFC posters think because we have Rhode Island & Elon that our conference is somehow inferior to the MVFC. Until recently NDSU was way out in front of all of us (may still be after this JMU loss), but the rest of the MVFC is not better than the teams in the CAA.

They arent worse, but they just aren't better. You can take your argument to the Big Sky or SLC or any other conference you play often, but the small amount of games played between the wannabes & the CAA show no substantial evidence that the wannabes win hands down.

They need to cha.get it back to the Yankee league or Atlantic 10 etc. The CAA name is gay and they always have to follow it with football.

kdinva
January 4th, 2017, 11:20 AM
http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_1dc63e33-6731-5486-86ce-7e560d5f27c6.html

Much of the transformation came through Houston’s intense commitment to making JMU a more physical team along both lines. That “really helped us get to the next level of our program,” said junior quarterback Bryan Schor.

Houston’s other overarching goal when he took the JMU job seemed simple, but wasn’t: unite the Dukes.

“When I got here, it was a very divided locker room, and it was one where there was no confidence and no cohesion defensively,” said Houston. “And the attitude of the offensive players was that the only reason that there was any success was because of them. So it was not a good situation.”

Gradually, the Dukes came together. Schor noted that when the defense makes a big play to get off the field, offensive players lead the sideline welcoming committee, and it works the other way, too.

“That’s something special. You don’t see that on every team. You don’t see that in every locker room in the country,” said Schor. “I think that right there has been a major thing to help us get to the point we are now.”

Lehigh'98
January 4th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Was there more drug testing done this week? I saw a tweet that said 7 players from JMU/5 YSU have been suspended, but couldn't tell if these were the same guys.

NDSUtk
January 4th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Was there more drug testing done this week? I saw a tweet that said 7 players from JMU/5 YSU have been suspended, but couldn't tell if these were the same guys.
Same numbers as before so I'd say no change

RootinFerDukes
January 4th, 2017, 02:16 PM
So NDSU fans, was 2011 the hardest year to wait for the 3 week layoff until Frisco? I'm about to lose my friggin mind. I can't take this wait.

DirtyDukes
January 4th, 2017, 02:21 PM
And the pengus are so scarce there's no one to **** talk to...

StrikeJMU
January 4th, 2017, 03:01 PM
I gotta say, being a Caps fan, its really easy to get behind hating a team called the Penguins.

penguinpower
January 4th, 2017, 07:09 PM
And the pengus are so scarce there's no one to **** talk to...
Maybe the Penguins have been here before and they act like it by not being so Cocky. I don't think any YSU fans care for such banter. When you are down to the last 2 teams, they are both outstanding and you're just ignorant if you think that you will win because of some transitive property that you want to apply, or because a being a tiger on paper makes it appear that your team will win without actually playing the game.

The fact is that no one knows and it is the reason we play the games. How will you look of dare I say you will lose the game?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The Yo Show
January 4th, 2017, 07:12 PM
So, I'm expecting Sam Herder never read this thread. *cough* http://herosports.com/news/fcs-playoffs-strength-of-the-valley-prepared-youngstown-st-for-postseason * cough*. So who's sending him hatemail? Please feel free to copy the emails verbatim into this thread after you send them.

The Yo Show
January 4th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Come on Power, YSU lost horribly to NDSU, and NDSU was, to use another poster's words, "dominated" by JMU. Therefore we have no hope by transitive property. xlolx
Plus we can't even counter with EWU and Richmond because Richmond was not the same team (in all seriousness I recognize this).

Nah I think most penguin fans agree with you in all seriousness. I think we know that JMU is a good team. Heck, the penguins could lose to JMU as bad as everyone thinks it will be, but as penguin fans we are going to believe in our team. I will state again I think both teams are really good and either could win. I hope my penguins do and I think this is going to be a close game and not a blowout. But what do I know? I could be dead wrong.

Gangtackle11
January 4th, 2017, 07:19 PM
So, I'm expecting Sam Herder never read this thread. *cough* http://herosports.com/news/fcs-playoffs-strength-of-the-valley-prepared-youngstown-st-for-postseason * cough*. So who's sending him hatemail? Please feel free to copy the emails verbatim into this thread after you send them.

Sorry I said I wasn't coming back, but this is pure gold.

Check his twitter handle: @TheHerd215

Writer that covers the MVFC & an NDSU grad.

Too funny.

JMU Newbill
January 4th, 2017, 09:00 PM
This board really has gone to ****. My how the mighty have fallen.

The Yo Show
January 4th, 2017, 09:13 PM
I didn't even notice he was an NDSU grad. To be honest, I figured it would stir the pot and revisit the the whole argument. This thread has been barren anything sans the argument, which is a shame with the game 72 hours away.

Gangtackle11
January 4th, 2017, 09:17 PM
I didn't even notice he was an NDSU grad. To be honest, I figured it would stir the pot and revisit the the whole argument. This thread has been barren anything sans the argument, which is a shame with the game 72 hours away.

No worries. Good luck on Saturday although
I'm pulling for our conference champ. Should be a good game.

Bisonoline
January 4th, 2017, 11:36 PM
So NDSU fans, was 2011 the hardest year to wait for the 3 week layoff until Frisco? I'm about to lose my friggin mind. I can't take this wait.

Between the bowl games, Christmas, New years, having to get tickets, hotel rooms and getting everything ready for tailgate and the trip I thought it went pretty fast. Plus it was a nice break after the long season.

Good luck this weekend. Im going to miss not being there this year. The people and food are great.

Gangtackle11
January 5th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Most recent line is:

JMU - 7 1/2 (O/U 63)

penguinpower
January 5th, 2017, 07:28 AM
How do the Dukes hold up to cold weather? Supposed to be ~28 with a wind chill of 21 at kickoff.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24298&stc=1

bluehenbillk
January 5th, 2017, 07:29 AM
People need to get with the times, the SEC was at BEST the 3rd best FBS conference this year - behind both the B1G and the ACC.

SkinsWizDukes
January 5th, 2017, 07:55 AM
How do the Dukes hold up to cold weather? Supposed to be ~28 with a wind chill of 21 at kickoff.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24298&stc=1

It was in the teens for the Sam Houston St game and that went well for us.

jmu007
January 5th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Was just about to say... i'll take 65-7 again.

UNIFanSince1983
January 5th, 2017, 08:17 AM
People need to get with the times, the SEC was at BEST the 3rd best FBS conference this year - behind both the B1G and the ACC.

Being a fan of a B1G team I am not afraid to admit the B1G was vastly overrated this year.

Noryan34
January 5th, 2017, 08:46 AM
If YSU can avoid giving up the big plays they have a real good shot at winning this one. Watching the NDSU game which I think overall defensively is very similar to YSU. JMU struggled to move the ball without the big play. But they did have 8 plays over 25 yards that accounted for over 2/3 of their entire offense.

Not saying it will be easy, as they will have to play nickle almost the whole game, creating a lot of 1v1 match ups and leaving your 3rd or 4th DB as one of the guys trying to tackle the RB (didn't go so well for the Bison).

Schor will probably make a play or two with his feet. But if YSU can limit the big plays I like their chances. If they give up the big plays the way the bison did, I think they are gonna be in for a long day and it may turn ugly quick.

I think the keys to the game for YSU are 1) Avoid giving up big plays 2) Don't give JMU short fields to work with 3) have a great game on ST all around; and for JMU 1) exploit mismatches; make the nickleback or LB go 1v1 against abdullah 2) be careful of the emotional let-down, in the NDSU game it felt they felt a little too comfortable in the 2nd and let NDSU come back on them and had to ramp the energy back up 3) don't let penalties ruin drives.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2017, 08:56 AM
You're joking right? The B1G sucks.

penguinpower
January 5th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Was just about to say... i'll take 65-7 again.

Are you stupid or something?

DirtyDukes
January 5th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Maybe the Penguins have been here before and they act like it by not being so Cocky. I don't think any YSU fans care for such banter. When you are down to the last 2 teams, they are both outstanding and you're just ignorant if you think that you will win because of some transitive property that you want to apply, or because a being a tiger on paper makes it appear that your team will win without actually playing the game.

The fact is that no one knows and it is the reason we play the games. How will you look of dare I say you will lose the game?

Won't happen bruh we da best

I know, right! It's going to be like twice that.

ytownchief22
January 5th, 2017, 09:46 AM
This team has been doubted all season long, especially in the playoffs. Not about to doubt them in the biggest game of the year. GO GUINS!!!

GoGuinsGo
January 5th, 2017, 11:17 AM

I’m not playing in the game. Are you?

GoGuinsGo
January 5th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Moving on....

YSU needs to control the running game early, and put JMU in 3rd and long. If they can put JMU in third and long, the guins can let the big dogs eat (Rivers and Moss). They are by far the best DE combo in the FCS and maybe in the entire country. However, containing Abdullah will be huge. You’re not going to shut him down completely, but by putting the Dukes in 3rd and 5 or longer, the big dogs will eat. If there’s one thing I know about Bo is that he will be blitzing from everywhere. It’s an attack style defense that only is limited by a consistent running game on the opposing side.

On the other side of the ball, I think people forget that the Penguins have a stud at RB as well, and one with more speed than Abdullah. I watched the whole JMU/NDSU game, and there were times that Jody would have made a house call whereas Abdullah got tracked down. He’s more shifty and stronger than Jody, but if Jody gets a crease, goodnight. He has next level speed.

As a Guins fan, I am worried about Abdullah breaking big gains which would open up the play action pass. Hell- who knows. Can’t wait for this game.

Gangtackle11
January 5th, 2017, 11:41 AM
I’m not playing in the game. Are you?

Good comeback for a juvenile. I'm sure your baby sitter is looking for you. Run along skippy.

mcveyrl
January 5th, 2017, 11:44 AM

Maybe you're just oblivious.

Somebody asked about cold weather games. Somebody responded that it was in the teens for SHSU (a game we won 65-7). Somebody else responded that they would be happy if we did that again in the cold (as I would guess you would be if YSU won 65-7). And then you called them stupid.

Nice.

penguinpower
January 5th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Maybe you're just oblivious.

Somebody asked about cold weather games. Somebody responded that it was in the teens for SHSU (a game we won 65-7). Somebody else responded that they would be happy if we did that again in the cold (as I would guess you would be if YSU won 65-7). And then you called them stupid.

Nice.

I misunderstood the comment. Sorry.

jmu007
January 5th, 2017, 12:04 PM
xpeacex

Paladin1aa
January 5th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Well, YSU had a rally to send off the team to the airport. Players are pumped. Team is healthy and the word is there are some new wrinkles added. Everyone tends to focus on O as that sells tickets, but the D is where championships are won. YSU believes they are well prepared. That has been the team strength all year. I look for Bo to be aggressive and blitz often from different angles to attack both the run and pass game. I still like the Penguins chances.

Go Guins.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2017, 01:00 PM
What about the cat? Did he take the cat??
http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/ap-nebraska-spring-football.jpg?w=1000&h=534

caribbeanhen
January 5th, 2017, 02:09 PM
so when is this mythical game going to be played again?

Sorry, I just don't like the 3 week delay.

NDSUtk
January 5th, 2017, 07:11 PM

Sorry, I just don't like the 3 week delay.
How about the 4 weeks the coveted FBS teams waited from conference championship game until semi finals? Or the 35 day break for Ohio State? Now that's ****ing stupid.

Bill
January 5th, 2017, 07:12 PM

It's going to be the undercard at the Hall of Fame Game in Canton later this year :)

KPSUL
January 5th, 2017, 08:09 PM
What about the cat? Did he take the cat??
http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/ap-nebraska-spring-football.jpg?w=1000&h=534

Did anyone tell Bo that's not a Penguin ?

KPSUL
January 5th, 2017, 08:22 PM
If YSU can avoid giving up the big plays they have a real good shot at winning this one. Watching the NDSU game which I think overall defensively is very similar to YSU. JMU struggled to move the ball without the big play. But they did have 8 plays over 25 yards that accounted for over 2/3 of their entire offense.

Not saying it will be easy, as they will have to play nickle almost the whole game, creating a lot of 1v1 match ups and leaving your 3rd or 4th DB as one of the guys trying to tackle the RB (didn't go so well for the Bison).

Schor will probably make a play or two with his feet. But if YSU can limit the big plays I like their chances. If they give up the big plays the way the bison did, I think they are gonna be in for a long day and it may turn ugly quick.

I think the keys to the game for YSU are 1) Avoid giving up big plays 2) Don't give JMU short fields to work with 3) have a great game on ST all around; and for JMU 1) exploit mismatches; make the nickleback or LB go 1v1 against abdullah 2) be careful of the emotional let-down, in the NDSU game it felt they felt a little too comfortable in the 2nd and let NDSU come back on them and had to ramp the energy back up 3) don't let penalties ruin drives.
If your assessment is accurate, and that is the only way YSU could win this game, they don't have a chance. They will give up some big plays anyway they line-up, and if they play a nickle D all day they are going to give up 250+ yards and 15 first downs rushing and lose TOP in the process. A perfect prescription for a big JMU victory.

IMO the better way for them to play is just the way they played EWU. Play a conventional defense and try to match JMU score for score, looking for a break or two, particularly in the 4th quarter, that will swing the momentum, and final score, in their direction.

ValleyTalk
January 5th, 2017, 08:52 PM
If your assessment is accurate, and that is the only way YSU could win this game, they don't have a chance. They will give up some big plays anyway they line-up, and if they play a nickle D all day they are going to give up 250+ yards and 15 first downs rushing and lose TOP in the process. A perfect prescription for a big JMU victory.

IMO the better way for them to play is just the way they played EWU. Play a conventional defense and try to match JMU score for score, looking for a break or two, particularly in the 4th quarter, that will swing the momentum, and final score, in their direction.
YSU Football... #3 in FCS in Time of Possession
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/705

Gangtackle11
January 5th, 2017, 08:53 PM
I wonder if this was NDSU-YSU what people would think the score would be?

I think most would pick NDSU by double digit points. I believe those who think NDSU would win by double figures would think JMU will too.

I'm in that camp.

Also the YSU miracle catch reminded me of the Steelers immaculate reception in the '72 playoffs. They lost the next week to Miami in the AFC championship. So much for positive karma.

ValleyTalk
January 5th, 2017, 10:17 PM

I think most would pick NDSU by double digit points. I believe those who think NDSU would win by double figures would think JMU will too.

I'm in that camp.

Also the YSU miracle catch reminded me of the Steelers immaculate reception in the '72 playoffs. They lost the next week to Miami in the AFC championship. So much for positive karma.
Sort of like that miracle catch in 91 against NOVA on fourth and long??? A few weeks later .... NATIONAL CHAMPS.

GoGuinsGo
January 5th, 2017, 11:03 PM

I'm in that camp.

I’d say 27-21 NDSU

Sax
January 5th, 2017, 11:55 PM
Moving on....

On the other side of the ball, I think people forget that the Penguins have a stud at RB as well, and one with more speed than Abdullah. I watched the whole JMU/NDSU game, and there were times that Jody would have made a house call whereas Abdullah got tracked down. He’s more shifty and stronger than Jody, but if Jody gets a crease, goodnight. He has next level speed.

I guess Jody really showed the other guys by scoring 6 times on the ground this year. He's good, but I'll take the workhorse powerhouse KA.

GoGuinsGo
January 6th, 2017, 01:29 AM
I guess Jody really showed the other guys by scoring 6 times on the ground this year. He's good, but I'll take the workhorse powerhouse KA.

He was hurt until 2 games before the playoffs, bud. You’ll see.

th0m
January 6th, 2017, 04:41 AM
YSU Football... #3 in FCS in Time of Possession
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/705

A whopping 2 minutes more than JMU at #20.

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 04:48 AM
I’d say 27-21 NDSU

Quite an improvement over the 24-3 beatdown they gave you during the regular season.

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 05:02 AM
He was hurt until 2 games before the playoffs, bud. You’ll see.

Maybe. Played in 13 games and started 10 according to YSU football website.

ValleyTalk
January 6th, 2017, 06:00 AM
Maybe. Played in 13 games and started 10 according to YSU football website.
If you are thinking of underestimating the deceiving speed of Jody Webb, please watch the JSU game. Also, when you have a cradle of backs like Ruiz, Webb, and McCaster, it spreads the load around. In the redzone this year, we typically go under center with a bigger RB than Webb. Although Webb will go up the middle, he is far better when you get him in space.

penguinpower
January 6th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Quite an improvement over the 24-3 beatdown they gave you during the regular season.

When YSU played NDSU they were on their 4th QB and I am pretty sure it was his first or second game back. He was actually going to transfer out and hadn't really done much with the team prior to that game.

It actually took him a few games to get back into getting shape. Although the score was lopsided, the other parts of the game were not. YSU moved the ball between the 20'same but costly turnovers, especially by the QB in those "early games" for him.

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 06:24 AM
If you are thinking of underestimating the deceiving speed of Jody Webb, please watch the JSU game. Also, when you have a cradle of backs like Ruiz, Webb, and McCaster, it spreads the load around. In the redzone this year, we typically go under center with a bigger RB than Webb. Although Webb will go up the middle, he is far better when you get him in space.

I watched all the YSU playoff games. He's talented.

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 06:29 AM
I’d say 27-21 NDSU

The oddsmakers definitely would have made NDSU prohibitive favorites in Frisco if they had gotten there. It would have been too much history on the Bison side to fault Vegas for anything less.

As for the actual score......that's up to anyone interested to decide. Vegas wouldn't have come close to NDSU being only a 6 point fav.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 6th, 2017, 06:51 AM
3 weeks for Bo to come up with a defensive game plan......xchinscratchx

Seeing both teams in person, I think JMU is more talented but YSU has scratched and clawed its way to the NC game and I think they might pull this out.

Gotta root for the fellow Valley team!

ValleyTalk
January 6th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Prediction Time:
YSU, in a late drive eerily reminiscent of the one that beat JMU in the 2006 first round, beats James Madison behind the arm of the myth, the man, the legend Hunter Wells 31-28 (that one is for you CHIEF).

Two outstanding coaches in this one. I will give the ever so slight edge to Bo Pelini and his brother Carl, who will have a game-plan ready to go to slow down (cause you cannot stop) Abdullah. That YSU interior DL doesn't get much credit, but they have played tremendous football all year. Of course the outstanding DE's get all the publicity, but do not sleep on the two big guys in the middle.

Go Guins!

Noryan34
January 6th, 2017, 07:32 AM

NDSU played a lot of nickle and JMU didn't have 15 rushing first downs, didn't have 250 rushing yards and did not win TOP. And many all year have argued that YSU defense was the best in the conference. So not so sure about your assessment that they will get gashed all day long.

Also I am not so sure YSU wants to get into a shootout with JMU. Ya it worked against EWU but I highly doubt you could find one person that would compare their defense to JMU in a favorable light. I know YSU is better than earlier in the year, I just do not see them scoring on over 60% of their possessions as they did in the EWU game.

Also not the only way, just if the game is relatively clean (i.e. no turnovers) then those will be things to watch for. Turnovers can shift the momentum of a game real quick depending on when and where they happen.

Noryan34
January 6th, 2017, 07:37 AM
The oddsmakers definitely would have made NDSU prohibitive favorites in Frisco if they had gotten there. It would have been too much history on the Bison side to fault Vegas for anything less.

As for the actual score......that's up to anyone interested to decide. Vegas wouldn't have come close to NDSU being only a 6 point fav.

Yep it would have been all about history, and nothing to do with making the #1 seed the points favorite. Man you love to trash on math with your hypotheticals.

Thanks for my daily dose of giggles.xthumbsupx

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Yep it would have been all about history, and nothing to do with making the #1 seed the points favorite. Man you love to trash on math with your hypotheticals.

Thanks for my daily dose of giggles.xthumbsupx

Dude. What's wrong with you? I'm saying NDSU would be prohibitive favorite over YSU. Like 14 points or so favorite based on their history & 24-3 win. Is that not how you read it or you just looking for a fight?

Go look at my posts and find one where I have ever said anything negative about NDSU. I'll save you some time. There aren't any.

So either learn to read or back off.

Noryan34
January 6th, 2017, 08:02 AM

I read just fine.

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I read just fine.

Meaning with 5 nattys in a row that the oddsmakers would take that into account positively when creating a line. JMU is 7 1/2 point favorite. NDSU would be 14 point or so favorite.

You needed to major in something other than parks & recreation at NDSU. It would help you on here newbie.

Daytripper
January 6th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Meaning with 5 nattys in a row that the oddsmakers would take that into account positively when creating a line. JMU is 7 1/2 point favorite. NDSU would be 14 point or so favorite.

You needed to major in something other than parks & recreation at NDSU. It would help you on here newbie.

While I agree with your basic point, I don't think NDSU would get that much love from Vegas. JMU is too good. I would guess NDSU would be favored by about 6 versus JMU.

By the way...my prediction: JMU 31 YSU 20

Noryan34
January 6th, 2017, 08:13 AM

Exactly my point. Your saying the previous championships would be the driving factor in the line. Nothing about the fact that NDSU would have been the #1 seed in the championship. Again your making my point.

But alas none of it matters since NDSU lost and isn't in the game, so arguing over a hypothetical line driven by years of past history is meaningless.

As a side note, you have no idea where or what I went to school for, so don't go assuming you know me.

POD Knows
January 6th, 2017, 08:14 AM
3 weeks for Bo to come up with a defensive game plan......xchinscratchx

Seeing both teams in person, I think JMU is more talented but YSU has scratched and clawed its way to the NC game and I think they might pull this out.

Gotta root for the fellow Valley team!

If UND moves to the MVFC and if they get to the championship game, would you support them. xsmhx

UNIFanSince1983
January 6th, 2017, 08:15 AM
While I agree with your basic point, I don't think NDSU would get that much love from Vegas. JMU is too good. I would guess NDSU would be favored by about 6 versus JMU.

By the way...my prediction: JMU 31 YSU 20

He was saying had NDSU beat JMU and played YSU in the championship. Then NDSU would have been about 14pt favorite over YSU which makes sense. NDSU beat them by 21 earlier in the year. I know YSU has improved, but they would be more of a favorite than JMU is right now. Just the way things would go in Vegas.

Daytripper
January 6th, 2017, 08:16 AM
If UND moves to the MVFC and if they get to the championship game, would you support them. xsmhx

You should support them simply based on their intense off-season workouts...

Bisonator
January 6th, 2017, 08:17 AM

I think the only team we were close to 14 point favorites was 2013 against Towson and that was -13. I'd say -7 to -10 would be about right.

Noryan34
January 6th, 2017, 08:25 AM

I'd rather burn my own eyes out than root for UND. But luckily the way they got handle in the first round, I am not too worried about them making the title game anytime soon.

Noryan34
January 6th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Does anyone know how much action the FCS championship usually gets? Ever any large point swings during the week?

POD Knows
January 6th, 2017, 08:39 AM
I'd rather burn my own eyes out than root for UND. But luckily the way they got handle in the first round, I am not too worried about them making the title game anytime soon.

I guess my larger point was supporting the "conference" member and why people do this. I have never really understood that, I hate them all equally but that is just me. I know it is good for the conference to have the eventual winner come from your conference but I just have a hard time getting on that bandwagon.

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Exactly my point. Your saying the previous championships would be the driving factor in the line. Nothing about the fact that NDSU would have been the #1 seed in the championship. Again your making my point.

But alas none of it matters since NDSU lost and isn't in the game, so arguing over a hypothetical line driven by years of past history is meaningless.

As a side note, you have no idea where or what I went to school for, so don't go assuming you know me.

You obviously don't know anything about how oddsmakers make a line. I get that.

As for your background. Ok. Internet tough guy.

UNIFanSince1983
January 6th, 2017, 09:15 AM
I guess my larger point was supporting the "conference" member and why people do this. I have never really understood that, I hate them all equally but that is just me. I know it is good for the conference to have the eventual winner come from your conference but I just have a hard time getting on that bandwagon.

I don't always support the conference mate. I.E. I was hoping NDSU would lose to JMU even though had they won we would have an all MVFC Championship for the 2nd time in 3 years. Of course had NDSU not won the previous 5 championships maybe I would have felt differently. I do, however, hope YSU wins it, but I really think JMU probably wins by 7-10 points.

My hatred for MVFC foes is not equal either NDSU and SIU are on top of that list. SDSU is getting close. For the most part though I will hope MVFC teams do well outside of the conference. Not that it matters UNI sucked this year so everything else is irrelevant.

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 09:25 AM
He was saying had NDSU beat JMU and played YSU in the championship. Then NDSU would have been about 14pt favorite over YSU which makes sense. NDSU beat them by 21 earlier in the year. I know YSU has improved, but they would be more of a favorite than JMU is right now. Just the way things would go in Vegas.

You get it. TY

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 09:29 AM

JMU is certainly a rival, but if they get through I'm sure as hell supporting the conference member. (Even Delaware)

Noryan34
January 6th, 2017, 09:30 AM
You obviously don't know anything about how oddsmakers make a line. I get that.

As for your background. Ok. Internet tough guy.

Now your trying to talk to me about numbers? Wow that's rich.

Internet tough guy? Your the one referencing fights and resorting to name calling.

Careful when throwing your car in reverse when driving that fast; it can damage the transmission.

Gangtackle11
January 6th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Now your trying to talk to me about numbers? Wow that's rich.

Internet tough guy? Your the one referencing fights and resorting to name calling.

Careful when throwing your car in reverse when driving that fast; it can damage the transmission.

You created math that worked for you.
2-1 is my math. The rest is noise.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

semobison
January 6th, 2017, 10:35 AM

Lol! Calling someone a newbie. Good thing your parents let you on the internet for your 13th birthday 2 years ago!
Enough smack....I am amused at the people on here that think because JMU beat the Bison they will have an easier time with YSU. In both of the Guins conference losses to the Bison and Jacks, early turnovers was the difference. In both games total yardage was very close. The truth is JMU will be facing a better defense than they did in Fargo. In MVFC stats:

Total D, YSU 1st, NDSU 2nd
RUSH D, NDSU 1st, YSU 2nd
Pass D, YSU 1st, NDSU 3rd
Opp 1st downs, YSU 1st, NDSU 3rd
Opp 3rd down conversion. YSY 1st 31%, NDSU 7th 42%
TOP, YSU 1st, NDSU 5th
Sacks, YSU 1st by a wide margin.

The Guins big problem was negative turnover ratio. This might get me in trouble with some of the Bison homers but NDSU was not a championship caliber team this year and their stats prove it. Both defense and offense 3rd down conversion percentage were just plain bad.

That at being said I have been very impressed with JMU throughout the playoffs. They are a complete team. Youngstown will be the best defense they have faced thus far and if they don't turn it over this should be a great matchup! Go Guins...I can't believe I just said that!

Paladin1aa
January 6th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Less than 24 hours away. I still like the Penguins chances.

28-24 YSU

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 6th, 2017, 03:09 PM

xslapfightx

Really?

Not UND. Any team in the Valley right now I would cheer for in a NC game.

Hoboken Dukes
January 6th, 2017, 03:41 PM
31-20 JMU.

Laker
January 6th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I thought that this was funny. Faux Bo Pelini:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1hPn7CVIAAT7FF.jpg:large

Longhorn
January 6th, 2017, 04:18 PM
I thought that this was funny. Faux Bo Pelini:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1hPn7CVIAAT7FF.jpg:large

Shortest is true. Sickly? Not sure where you're coming up with that factoid. The truth is the man lived well into his 80s. Madison was also undoubtedly one of the smartest of all the Founding Fathers, and for good reason is commonly referred to as the "Father of the Constitution"...

As for the notion Madison was a supporter of anything associated with "non-intercourse"...well, I think that's wishful thinking by YSU fans who rightfully fear their team is going to be F'd royal this Saturday.

jmufan999
January 6th, 2017, 05:25 PM
NDSU played a lot of nickle and JMU didn't have 15 rushing first downs, didn't have 250 rushing yards and did not win TOP. And many all year have argued that YSU defense was the best in the conference. So not so sure about your assessment that they will get gashed all day long.

i'm not exactly sure how you came up with these qualifications on a good rushing attack. i've never heard rushing first downs used as a measure of success. we ran for 201 on you guys after you were previously giving up under 100 per game. 5 yards a carry (Abdullah alone had 7.8 yards/carry!!), i think you were in the 3-ish yards per carry beforehand. all of the stats you provided speak more to NDSU slowing the game down and limiting our possessions. when we had the ball, we ran very effectively.

i would agree with KPSUL's assessment. best way to defend JMU is to play press man and go base defense. this has its own set of problems also, but what are you gonna do? pick your poison. YSU's best defense will probably be their offense. Webb (in my opinion) is far, FAR more talented than Ruiz anyway. that dude has serious skill. if he runs wild, it will be a total game-changer.

cx500d
January 6th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Now I'm confused. I thought it was James Mason we were talking about.

kdinva
January 6th, 2017, 08:27 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ex-citadel-coach-mike-houston-s-formula-working-again-at/article_0bb66d6e-d1e4-11e6-81b1-0b8b462f5a80.html

ming01
January 7th, 2017, 04:41 AM
Saw YSU is +10 on 5 Dimes. Think they will easily cover that. If the field is in crappy conditions like we've seen in the past, that could negate Abdullah a bit.

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2017, 05:38 AM
JMU is certainly a rival, but if they get through I'm sure as hell supporting the conference member. (Even Delaware)

the rebuild is over... hopefully the rivalry isn't ....

Gangtackle11
January 7th, 2017, 05:48 AM
the rebuild is over... hopefully the rivalry isn't ....

It always will be unless you guys go FBS someday.

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2017, 05:54 AM
It always will be unless you guys go FBS someday.

if that ever happens, Nova must be a part of the transition... subject of much debate on gohens.net, Many on there use the excuse that Talley Ho used moving up as recruiting bait for several years and that's why you've beat us like 9 of the past 10 years.... I don't buy that excuse though

Gangtackle11
January 7th, 2017, 06:15 AM
if that ever happens, Nova must be a part of the transition... subject of much debate on gohens.net, Many on there use the excuse that Talley Ho used moving up as recruiting bait for several years and that's why you've beat us like 9 of the past 10 years.... I don't buy that excuse though

Maybe, but I don't think had anything to do with the last 5 years or so. There may have been a few recruits who came on that premise back in 2010-12, but not many.

Villanova has a 3 pronged attack to recruiting academics, strong alumni network, & pretty good football. We also don't have to hold ourselves to the Academic Index of the Patriot & Ivy so we can compete for the average student, better athlete more often.

It's a basketball school also & a well known brand name. Talley always used that to his advantage.

Ferrante will be expected to compete immediately. They lose some big name players, but still have a playoff level football team at this point.

His 1st recruiting class is full of 3 star and/or high level All-State players, but we'll see what they look like in 2-3 years.

I'm not a fan of Rocco, but he's a winner & most certainly make UD a contender soon.

As far as transitioning to FBS that ship has most likely sailed for Nova, but never say never.

Now back to the JMU-YSU game.

catamount man
January 7th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Good luck to both institutions.

Bearkat04
January 7th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Good luck to both teams. Clean game no injuries. I'm torn on who to root for. I'm originally from Ohio but the dukes are the team that knocked (executed) out my Bearkats. Guess I'll just keep my glass full of makers mark and see which way that leads me.

Noryan34
January 7th, 2017, 08:05 AM
i'm not exactly sure how you came up with these qualifications on a good rushing attack. i've never heard rushing first downs used as a measure of success. we ran for 201 on you guys after you were previously giving up under 100 per game. 5 yards a carry (Abdullah alone had 7.8 yards/carry!!), i think you were in the 3-ish yards per carry beforehand. all of the stats you provided speak more to NDSU slowing the game down and limiting our possessions. when we had the ball, we ran very effectively.

i would agree with KPSUL's assessment. best way to defend JMU is to play press man and go base defense. this has its own set of problems also, but what are you gonna do? pick your poison. YSU's best defense will probably be their offense. Webb (in my opinion) is far, FAR more talented than Ruiz anyway. that dude has serious skill. if he runs wild, it will be a total game-changer.

I did not pick those qualifications. The person I quoted did. I just look at the game and JMU had 8 plays over 25 yards for 300 yards of offense. Leaving the remaining 50 plays for a total of 143 yards.

My comment was limit the big plays and I like YSU chances. I'll admit I watched two JMU games all year and the first was well ridiculous (SHSU game). The other I saw little in the way of moving the ball consistently without an explosive play (+25 yards), now they did have 8 (and several other 10+ yard) of them which says a lot about the athleticism of the skill position players on the team and I doubt YSU will be able to keep that number to 0 but limiting them in whatever way they can would be a big deal.

YSU wont be able to play 4-3 all game against a spread option offense. Putting a LB or S (then leaving only 1 over in coverage) on the slot guy all game long is just yucky.

Drblankstare
January 7th, 2017, 09:28 AM
I will be pulling for YSU, not much of a Pelini guy but I would love to see the Chipper stay in the Valley.

That being said, I think JMU is too talented on offense to be denied. Im going with JMU 27 YSU 13. This wisdom is brought to you from a guy, who damn near came in last in this year's bracket challenge....... so there's that.

Good luck and Good health to both teams.

footballer23
January 7th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Youngstown by a field goal or less.

IBleedYellow
January 7th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Pretty sad seeing the pictures and tweets about the amount of fans that made it down.

Frisco is probably wondering what happened.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

NDSUtk
January 7th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Shortest is true. Sickly? Not sure where you're coming up with that factoid. The truth is the man lived well into his 80s. Madison was also undoubtedly one of the smartest of all the Founding Fathers, and for good reason is commonly referred to as the "Father of the Constitution"...

As for the notion Madison was a supporter of anything associated with "non-intercourse"...well, I think that's wishful thinking by YSU fans who rightfully fear their team is going to be F'd royal this Saturday.
You do realize what Faux Bo Pelini is right?! It's meant to be a joke account. You must be real fun at a party if you get your panties in a bunch over a description of a long deceased President.

The Yo Show
January 7th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Well we are here. Looking for a good game

alexale23
January 7th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Well we are here. Looking for a good game
Don't think you going find that in Frisco.... Just tears and bad memories

ytownchief22
January 7th, 2017, 10:59 AM
GO GUINS!!!!!

Grizalltheway
January 7th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Pretty sad seeing the pictures and tweets about the amount of fans that made it down.

Crowd looks great to me. Maybe you guys should just accept that you aren't there and move on?

Laker
January 7th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Are they doing stadium construction? I don't see anyone but security in the end zone where JMU just kicked the PAT.

mmiller_34
January 7th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Are they doing stadium construction? I don't see anyone but security in the end zone where JMU just kicked the PAT.

Yes.

mmiller_34
January 7th, 2017, 11:21 AM

The Stadium is full.

Bisonator
January 7th, 2017, 11:21 AM

Yes. They are reconstructing that end for a museum and locker rooms I believe.

mmiller_34
January 7th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Kalid Abdullah is awesome.

Laker
January 7th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Yes. They are reconstructing that end for a museum and locker rooms I believe.

Would the museum be for FCS?

The D2 Hall of Fame is in Florence, Alabama. Now that UNA will be going FCS in 2018 I wonder if it will stay there since the D2 title game has moved to Kansas City.

Bisonoline
January 7th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Would the museum be for FCS?

The D2 Hall of Fame is in Florence, Alabama. Now that UNA will be going FCS in 2018 I wonder if it will stay there since the D2 title game has moved to Kansas City.

Its a soccer HOF I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Kalid Abdullah is awesome.

Hes had some pretty good running room.

footballer23
January 7th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Its a soccer HOF I think.

Correct.

Drblankstare
January 12th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I will be pulling for YSU, not much of a Pelini guy but I would love to see the Chipper stay in the Valley.

That being said, I think JMU is too talented on offense to be denied. Im going with JMU 27 YSU 13. This wisdom is brought to you from a guy, who damn near came in last in this year's bracket challenge....... so there's that.

Dammit, so close

DirtyDukes
January 12th, 2017, 01:10 PM

Impressive!

????Stadium was completely full and the bartender at the British Lion Pub told us after the game how they had twice as much sales as when the Bison were in town. Less bodies in the bar but more people drinking premium liquor and not just beer. Said he hopes we come back every year.

caribbeanhen
January 12th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Impressive!

????Stadium was completely full and the bartender at the British Lion Pub told us after the game how they had twice as much sales as when the Bison were in town. Less bodies in the bar but more people drinking premium liquor and not just beer. Said he hopes we come back every year.

just wait till Cal Poly makes it.... just wait....