PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Points

89Hen
April 11th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I know the reason the points are the way they are is to reward consistency, but I can't stand the point system in NASCAR. Jeff Gordon is the only driver with two wins (plus another top 5) in six races and he's a distant sixth. Sure he had two DNF's, but he should easily be second behind only Jimmie Johnson.

JJ is clearly #1 with one win, three more top 5's and all 6 in the top 10. You can make a case for Biffle staying in second with four top 10s and a ton of laps led, but Sadler in third with no wins, one top 5 and only 35 laps lead?! I thought the goal was to win races? I've always said they need to award more points for winning.

colgate13
April 11th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Hen, you just betrayed my sense of respect for you. You actually know, and follow, NASCAR and their point system?

:bawling:

89Hen
April 11th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Yup, I like NASCAR. However, I didn't watch a single minute of it this week as the Masters took center stage. NASCAR ranks behind football (CF and NFL), golf and hockey, but probably just ahead of baseball. Which makes me think of a new topic....

grizbeer
April 11th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I agree with you hen the point system is kind of silly. However it really doesn't matter at if you are #1 or #10 with the new Chase system.

I always thought your should get points based on your position each lap of the race. For example if a race is 500 laps long you would get 1/500 * inverted position points (43 for 1st, 1 for 43rd), with a bonus for the pole and a bonus for winning the race. Maybe too complicated though.

Hansel
April 11th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Yup, I like NASCAR. However, I didn't watch a single minute of it this week as the Masters took center stage. NASCAR ranks behind football (CF and NFL), golf and hockey, but probably just ahead of baseball. Which makes me think of a new topic....

You need a second TV in your living room, in general I just use the second for Video Games, but on Sun. it was Nascar on one TV and Masters on the other

bisonguy
April 11th, 2005, 07:47 PM
You need a second TV in your living room, in general I just use the second for Video Games, but on Sun. it was Nascar on one TV and Masters on the other

Dual tuner TV and a PC with a tuner card downstairs= ace on fall saturdays when NDSU isn't playing. :)

polsongrizz
April 11th, 2005, 11:40 PM
This new point system is a crock of s**t. At the end of last yr when Busch, Johnson and Gordon were dueling untill the end, paid mouthpeices were announcing what a great job nascar had done. anyone can rigg a point system or playoff (bcs) to help those they want in it and or a so-called race to the finish. :confused: :mad:

ISUMatt
April 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM

I have that second TV, normally its sports on one and shows for my 2 yr old on the other, but come Football season, get your own TV kid, Daddy's busy!!!

Anovafan
April 12th, 2005, 09:55 AM
This new point system is a crock of s**t. At the end of last yr when Busch, Johnson and Gordon were dueling untill the end, paid mouthpeices were announcing what a great job nascar had done. anyone can rigg a point system or playoff (bcs) to help those they want in it and or a so-called race to the finish. :confused: :mad:

I couldn't agree more, this new chase system is worse than the old one. If they want to create some type of playoffs for the top 10 fine, but do it outside of the old system. They should still reward an overall season champion. I used to watch a lot more races, now who cares about the first 2/3 of the season as it only puts you in the chase for the top 10. Then, when the chase happens, football season is already on and I have lost total interest. NASCAR better be careful, it attracted me to the sport as a casual fan, and has now all but lost me. If it wasn't for JG, I would have no interest in the sport.

grizbeer
April 12th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Imagine if Junior had the most total points but not won the championship under the Chase system. I guarantee we would have had a split champion, as somebody would have anointed Jr. the Champ as well. :(

Anovafan
April 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Imagine if Junior had the most total points but not won the championship under the Chase system. I guarantee we would have had a split champion, as somebody would have anointed Jr. the Champ as well. :(

It happened last year, just not to junior. Gordon would have won under the old system last year, but missed out due to the chase.

polsongrizz
April 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Agreed. :(

eaglesrthe1
April 12th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I like the new points system. Now you have a regular season, and then a championship. Kind of like having a sixteen team playoff field where any one of them can win the title.

SiouxFallsJack
April 14th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I agree with 89Hen. I would like to see the driver who wins the race get more points, 200 points for example. I like grizbeer idea about points per position for each lap, but probably way too complicated. It would make for exciting racing each lap. I would also like to see bonus points awarded for qualifying in the front row or maybe the first four postions.

P.S. Go Jacks!!! and hate to admit it Go Gordon!!!

89Hen
April 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM
GBeer's idea wouldn't be hard at all in this day and age. They keep stats on tire temperature every lap, surely they can keep points. :p

LacesOut
April 15th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Love NASCAR. I go to the two races in Dover, DE, each year.

I like the Chase, can't say I agree with the point system.

Look at two years ago, with Kennseth being the champ, having wrapped up the cup with about 4 or 5 races left. That was horrible, IMO.