YSU kicker is hurt too

- - - Updated - - -

Spoke to his dad

penguinpower
December 10th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Sloppy play by YSU

Bison56
December 10th, 2016, 04:07 PM
I'm over the whale mating call, can't they just use it for touchdowns?

DoubleE
December 10th, 2016, 04:10 PM
TD guins

30-23

grizband
December 10th, 2016, 04:10 PM
YSU scores a TD in 2nd OT Period

YSU 30
Wofford 23

penguinpower
December 10th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Finally used the back-up kicker

DoubleE
December 10th, 2016, 04:13 PM
4th and 13 for wofford

Wilson16
December 10th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Congrats YSU! Hope to see you in Frisco

DoubleE
December 10th, 2016, 04:15 PM
YSU 30 Wofford 23 F 2ot

GoldandBlack
December 10th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Defense wins championships (and playoff games).

That's what finally decided this game.

Congrats and kudos to the Penguins on a hell of a football game- it wasn't perfectly
executed, but it was still a hell of a game.

Good luck next week against whoever you play.

Hope to see you again down the line.

grizband
Wofford finishes 0-3 on passes, as YSU advances to the semifinals!

Bisonator
Congrats Penguins! MVFC representing in both semi's!

Twentysix
December 10th, 2016, 04:17 PM
2/4 from the mvfc make the semis.

This conference is so strong.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Congrats YSU!! Great win!! Keep it rolling!

Will you host Richmond if they beat EWU?? Game will obviously be Saturday....

Twentysix
December 10th, 2016, 04:20 PM

Yeah YSU would probably host.

Richmond is done though.

TheKingpin28
Well Pelini just locked himself up a G5 job next season if he decides to move on. But why would he? In Youngstown, Tressel is god and Pelini is free to run the program how he wants.

Congrats again Penguins. How cool would it be to stick it to the committee to have another MVFC championship?

DoubleE

Thats the rumor

CockyGeek
December 10th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Why were there only three pass attempts? That's some high school ball stats.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2016, 04:22 PM

Richmond is done though.

Yup, saw EWU just scored again. I'm going to the Bills-Browns game next Sunday. I really wanted to get to a YSU game. I'm going with a couple workers from work. I think I could have convinced them to go....

grizband
December 10th, 2016, 04:25 PM
All Wofford does is run the ball...they rank dead last among FCS teams in passing yards/game.

GoldandBlack
December 10th, 2016, 04:27 PM

If you had seen the Gamecocks' loss to Wofford in the second round of the 2010 Playoffs, you'd know that Wofford is an option running team.

We almost never pass the ball unless the defense has so loaded the box that we have one on one matchups and the element of surprise.

If we are forced to pass, it's not a pretty thing.

penguinpower
They outbid us.

CockyGeek
If you had seen the Gamecocks' loss to Wofford in the second round of the 2010 Playoffs, you'd know that Wofford is an option running team.

We almost never pass the ball unless the defense has so loaded the box that we have one on one matchups and the element of surprise.

If we are forced to pass, it's not a pretty thing.
I was there. I just don't follow Wofford football that closely.

GoldandBlack
December 10th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Understood- we're used to that.

Just wanted to clarify that it's not a high school offense.

No offense taken or intended.

penguinpower
December 10th, 2016, 04:32 PM
That was one of the best games I've seen all year

woffordgrad94
December 10th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Anyone else think the announcers for this game were god awful? And do a little research, ESPN! We are NOT WU!

Bison56
December 10th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Anyone else think the announcers for this game were god awful? And do a little research, ESPN! We are NOT WU!

They were horrible.

woffordgrad94
December 10th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Congratulations, Penguins. You guys were very prepared for our offense. You were just a bit better than us today and deserved the win.

GoldandBlack
December 10th, 2016, 04:40 PM
They were horrible.

As I said on terrierfans.com,

I thought if Al Groh second-guessed both head coaches one more time, I'd lose my mind.

He's entitled to his opinion, but he's not in charge of either offense or defense, and
can't possibly know everything that went into each coach's decisions.

ytownchief22
December 10th, 2016, 04:40 PM
What a classic game. Credit to the Terriers, they capitalized on dumb mistakes by YSU. I have no words for the special teams blunders today, just unreal. Defense played great except for the 1st play out of half. OC of YSU almost cost us the game throwing TWICE at the end of the 4th quarter backed up but overall had a solid game plan. But hey, it's the playoffs and a win is a win! Moving on!

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 10th, 2016, 04:51 PM

I thought if Al Groh second-guessed both head coaches one more time, I'd lose my mind.

He's entitled to his opinion, but he's not in charge of either offense or defense, and

There is a reason Al Groh is an announcer......................

citdog
December 10th, 2016, 04:52 PM

Mike Ayers has forgotten more about football than Al Groh will ever know.

grizband
December 10th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Who could imagine the game between two teams no one expected to be in the quarterfinals, would end up being the best game!

RabidRabbit
December 10th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Only competitive game of the four quarter finals.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

GoldandBlack
December 10th, 2016, 05:21 PM
I hope the JMU at NDSU game is as competitive as the game we just finished with YSU- that way, whoever wins will know they had to earn every point to get it done.

I'm tired of blowouts- doesn't look good for the FCS.

kdinva
December 10th, 2016, 05:29 PM
I'm tired of blowouts- doesn't look good for the FCS.

doesn't look good for the committee members.....IMO

- - - Updated - - -

Mike Ayers has forgotten more about football than Al Groh will ever know.

xthumbsupx

xnodx

longtimemocfan
December 10th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Great game by both squads xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Welp - enjoyed my 1 day as a Terrier Fan. Fun game to watch!

Nice job Terriers, you deserved a Seed as the #2 SoCon Team & I expect things may have gone a bit differently in Sparkle City. Hopefully, next year, the committee will realize that the Big Lie/Big Fluffy, and the SLC are 1 bid leagues.

Looks like the Penguins are SoCon Killers, so I guess I'm joining Bo's Brigade for the next 2 rounds...

Daved
December 10th, 2016, 06:51 PM
When facing yankees from the cesspool of ohio all of FCS South Carolina will be with Wofford!

http://il3.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/9269876/thumb/1.jpgWofford went down in a valiant effort in a dogfight that could've gone either way--I saw this flag on a customers van last week and seriously asked if it was for ISIS--I was way off!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Congrats to YSU!!

xthumbsupx

Daved
December 10th, 2016, 07:05 PM
How have I never heard the horn?? Or what ever that sounds is before during a YSU game? That isn't suppose to be a penguin is it? I am waiting for an alien tripod to show up and blast everyone to dust.That's a shift whistle--aliens know better than to land in this area.

Daved
December 10th, 2016, 07:10 PM
I am almost certain it is a tug boat......they have those in Ohio dont they?Sounds like a tug boat--we used to have steel mills in Youngstown and that was a shift whistle.

PaladinFan
December 10th, 2016, 07:18 PM
Good game from the Terriers.

My significant takeaway from the game is that I have no interest in working for Bo Pellini. That guy looks like he screams at anyone who happens to catch his eye.

Daved
December 10th, 2016, 07:19 PM

Richmond is done though.Richmond is done but they outbid YSU so they would've played in Richmond had the game gone their way.

Daved
December 10th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Congratulations, Penguins. You guys were very prepared for our offense. You were just a bit better than us today and deserved the win.The game could've easily gone either way--both teams played with a tremendous amount of heart.

ValleyTalk
December 10th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Tons of KUDOS to Wofford. They were a TERRIFIC opponent. Your coach is a CLASS ACT and you had a fantastic couple hundred fans make the trip that were very vocal all game long. Your team was DAMN GOOD.

I've been to many a game at the Ice Castle and that would certainly rank up there as one of, if not the, very best football games I've ever seen in person. The ebbs and flows of this game were something else, coupled with the fact this was the playoffs, everyone was on their feet, and it went to 2OT.

Hope it was as fun watching at home folks!

Daved
December 10th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Tons of KUDOS to Wofford. They were a TERRIFIC opponent. Your coach is a CLASS ACT and you had a fantastic couple hundred fans make the trip that were very vocal all game long. Your team was DAMN GOOD.

I've been to many a game at the Ice Castle and that would certainly rank up there as one of, if not the, very best football games I've ever seen in person. The ebbs and flows of this game were something else, coupled with the fact this was the playoffs, everyone was on their feet, and it went to 2OT.

Hope it was as fun watching at home folks!
DITTO!!

Reign of Terrier
December 11th, 2016, 04:03 AM
Post game thoughts (we just got home from a 9 hour drive from Youngstown):

I said the X factor in this game was going to be seen on the offensive side of the ball. The jury is in: Youngstown State is peaking at the right time offensively. We haven't allowed 30 points the whole year to FCS opponents. Granted it was in OT, but the kicker probably left 7 points or so on the field.

The craziness of the kicking game I think can be attributed to the weather. The ball is harder in such weather. With that said, I can't help but pleased with the teams effort. Both teams were "lucky" in the sense that each made lots of mistakes. Wofford's lucky we didn't get blown out. Youngstown is lucky we didn't play Joe Newman the whole game and that we missed that last kick at regulation.

Youngstown's offense turned a corner though. No team, not even the citadel, was able to run as efficiently as Youngstown could.

I'm disappointed that we lost but I'm not heartbroken. I would rather go out that way than the way the other quarter finalists went out. Wofford wasn't expected to go this far in the playoffs this year (we were picked 6th in the socon). And admittedly, we didn't play great in this one. In some ways we just got lucky that it was close: Youngstown's kicking game kept us in it. At the same time we made our share of mistakes too and at the end of the day it just feels like the better team won. Compare that to the other playoff games we lost where one mistake defined the game (Richmond, UNI) or where we just didn't look like we belonged on the field offensively (NDSU) and I come away feeling content for the ride and optimistic for the future which is not a feeling I've had since like 2010 (and even then I was more pissed that we lost to GSU). I will say that losing to an MVFC team by 7 every time is starting to get old

Looking ahead:

This team exceeded expectations and I think there's a really good chance that we get picked to win the socon next year (for what that's worth). I know preseason hype is overrated but I don't think we have ever been picked higher than second or third in the preseason. We return 3/4 of our two deep as well. If YSU gives a good showing next week, complimented by the fact that we lost 3 FCS games this year by a combined 12 points (2 of which were in OT), I would be very surprised if we weren't preseason ranked top 10 preseason next year.

We were a decent team this year, but our offense wasn't nearly consistent enough and I think if we can take a step up next year we will be pretty dangerous. We got this far this year out of average offensive performance, spectacular defense and spectacular special teams. If we can step up from average to good on offense, we will be pretty hard to beat.

Reign of Terrier
December 11th, 2016, 04:15 AM
Also it wouldn't surprise me if YSU won the national title. Right now everyone looks even (hard to say how next week semifinals will play out because each team plays radically different styles from each other).

Before the game I said the unknown variables were offensive performance (to be honest I still don't know how good Wofford's offense is). YSU answered those question. No team has been able to run on us like that in a long time and I don't really think EWU will be able to stop it (that doesn't necessarily translate to a win, considering how EWU plays though)

Again, I've seen wofford lose 7 playoff games. This is probably the first since Delaware in 2003 where I felt that Wofford played our best game and the better team won. A couple of games we didn't play our best game (Richmond 07, GSU '10, NDSU '12) and a couple of games one mistake arguably cast a shadow on the outcome (UNI '11, JMU '08[bad spot on a fourth down imo]), and a couple of games we were clearly outmatched (NDSU, Delaware).

I won't say YSU "clearly outmatched us" but I think they were the better team, and we didn't play terribly or make one big mistake.

So YSU has the YT stamp of legitimacy (for what that's worth). I'll admit right now I'm not pulling for ya (JMU is my primary choice here on out, unless they lose), but if YSU makes the final against NDSU I will

dungeonjoe
December 11th, 2016, 07:15 AM
My humble summary...Great game...hospitable people (even the toll booth guy on the Pennsylvania border)...Wofford left it on the field and came up a yard short...1250 miles of driving in 20 hours, watching one of the best games I have ever seen (regardless of the 25 degree weather)-----PRICELESS.

ysubigred
December 12th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Sounds like a tug boat--we used to have steel mills in Youngstown and that was a shift whistle.
Someone told me it was to drown out BO's cussing out the Ref's :D

J.k. Daved is right a shift whistle from the US steel days. Soon to be back Go Trump xthumbsupx

ysubigred
December 12th, 2016, 10:44 AM
My humble summary...Great game...hospitable people (even the toll booth guy on the Pennsylvania border)...Wofford left it on the field and came up a yard short...1250 miles of driving in 20 hours, watching one of the best games I have ever seen (regardless of the 25 degree weather)-----PRICELESS.

Your team is bad ass! Next year watch out for the little ankle bitters (Terriers) xnodx