PDA

View Full Version : The "other" week 11 polls

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2016, 02:05 PM
These should give you a chuckle... what isn't funny and actually quite sad is these are the only two options schools/media have to list as the "official" rankings of teams. The AGS poll is infinitely better.

Coach's Poll (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll)

1 Sam Houston State (21) 641 1 10-0
2 Jacksonville State (2) 615 2 9-1
3 Eastern Washington (1) 595 3 9-1
4 North Dakota State (1) 575 4 9-1
5 James Madison (1) 555 5 9-1
6 The Citadel 520 6 10-0
7 Richmond 490 8 8-2
8 North Dakota 440 10 9-2
9 North Carolina A&T 434 9 9-1
10 South Dakota State 400 12 7-3
11 Chattanooga 373 7 8-2
12 Central Arkansas 369 13 9-1
13 Charleston Southern 342 14 6-3
14 Youngstown State 309 15 7-3
15 Villanova 292 11 7-3
16 Grambling State 271 18 8-2
17 Lehigh 235 18 7-3
18 Stamford 213 21 7-3
19 Wofford 166 NR 7-3
20 North Carolina Central 118 25 8-2
21 Montana 84 17 6-4
22 Kennesaw State 69 NR 8-2
23 Cal Poly 56 20 6-4
24 Western Illinois 46 19 6-4
25 Illinois State 31 NR 6-5

Others receiving votes: San Diego (30), UT Martin (26), Weber State (26), Saint Francis (Pa.) (20), Northern Iowa (19), New Hampshire (16), Harvard (12), Liberty (11), Maine (10), Northern Arizona (8), Southeastern Louisiana (8), Princeton (5), Fordham (4), Penn (4), Gardner-Webb (3), Southern (3), Southern Utah (3), Northern Colorado (2), Tennessee State (1).

STATS Poll (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/stats-fcs-top-25)

1 Sam Houston State (108) 3873 10-0 1
2 Jacksonville State (18) 3742 9-1 2
3 Eastern Washington (21) 3685 9-1 3
4 North Dakota State (7) 3592 9-1 4
5 Citadel (6) 3376 10-0 5
6 James Madison 3313 9-1 6
7 Richmond 2975 8-2 8
8 South Dakota State 2581 7-3 11
9 North Carolina A&T 2518 9-1 10
10 North Dakota 2432 9-2 12
11 Central Arkansas 2261 9-1 13
12 Chattanooga 2150 8-2 7
13 Villanova 2094 7-3 9
14 Charleston Southern 2004 6-3 14
15 Youngstown State 1714 7-3 17
16 Coastal Carolina 1632 8-2 15
17 Grambling State 1326 7-1 20
18 Samford 1209 7-3 22
19 Lehigh 1049 8-2 23
20 Wofford 1005 7-3 NR
21 Cal Poly 646 6-4 16
22 Montana 476 6-4 18
23 Western Illinois 411 6-4 19
24 North Carolina Central 405 8-2 NR
25 Saint Francis U 208 7-3 NR

Others receiving votes: New Hampshire (206), UT Martin (183), UNI (154), San Diego (123), Weber State (112), Illinois State (92), Harvard (84), Maine (83), Northern Colorado (41), Penn (37), Princeton (35), Albany (29), Kennesaw State (29), Fordham (24), Liberty (24), Stony Brook (18), Southern University (14), Nicholls (12), Northern Arizona (7), Southeastern Louisiana (7), Duquesne (4), Southern Utah (3), Dayton (2)

Daytripper
November 14th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Now we're making sense! xhugx

Sammy94
November 14th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Now we're making sense! xhugx

At least the rest of the country continues to see who the best team in the nation is....xsalutex

milleniumkat
November 14th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Wahahahahahhahah! "Infinitely better"
Muuuuahahahahahaahahah!!!

Credibility...cliff...=Jump

"You Can't run with #81!"

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2016, 02:14 PM
At least the rest of the country continues to see who the best team in the nation is....xsalutex

Well to be fair the only people that matter are the committee. Where did they have SHSU last week?

Daytripper
November 14th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Well to be fair the only people that matter are the committee. Where did they have SHSU last week?

But coaches..... and these other folks have much more FCS football knowledge...xsmiley_wix

Mayville Bison
Kennesaw State? The team with 3 sub D-1 wins on their schedule? I get there is a lot of terrible resumes in that 6 win range currently, but they shouldn't even be in the "others receiving votes" section let alone ranked #22. And we are supposed to take this list seriously?

Sammy94

Where will they have them next week is a better question.

Professor Chaos
The mind-boggling thing is SHSU at #1 isn't even close to the biggest head scratcher in either these polls. Kennesaw St at #22 in the Coach's poll is beyond ridiculous. I guess their 3 D2 wins and loss to SOCON cellar dweller ETSU must be real impressive. xrolleyesx

And whoever the MEAC has to campaign for votes in these polls probably could've been elected president.

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Well, neither of these polls gave any votes to Western Carolina...everything has it's flaws.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Well, neither of these polls gave any votes to Western Carolina...everything has it's flaws.
Except that's a 7 point mistake that barely moves the needle in terms of the overall poll. That mistake is like Tom Brady throwing a pick against the Seahawks last night whereas these polls are filled with butt-fumble level dumbassery.

Sammy94
November 14th, 2016, 02:23 PM
The thing is the media and coaches love the Kats. If we could just get our AD on the committee perhaps we could have that #1 spot with them also.

dewey
November 14th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Kennesaw State? The team with 3 sub D-1 wins on their schedule? I get there is a lot of terrible resumes in that 6 win range currently, but they shouldn't even be in the "others receiving votes" section let alone ranked #22. And we are supposed to take this list seriously?

Dang it Mayville Bison they have 8 wins and it doesn't matter who the opponents are:D

Dewey

grizband
November 14th, 2016, 03:05 PM
But coaches..... and these other folks have much more FCS football knowledge...xsmiley_wix
I cannot imagine coaches know about the entire landscape of FCS football...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FargoBison
November 14th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Kennesaw State being ranked is definitely a new low in the dumpster fire that is these polls.

thebootfitter
November 14th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Except that's a 7 point mistake that barely moves the needle in terms of the overall poll. That mistake is like Tom Brady throwing a pick against the Seahawks last night whereas these polls are filled with butt-fumble level dumbassery.
Can I use that phrase? Ha!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2016, 03:53 PM

If you only look at the W/L then I guess it makes sense but one thing about AGS Poll voters, they do their homework or are questioned for not doing it in some cases. xlolx

Your points are completely dead on.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2016, 03:55 PM

Troof.

Mayville Bison
November 14th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Dang it Mayville Bison they have 8 wins and it doesn't matter who the opponents are:D

Dewey

The funny thing is their SOS on Massey (90) is only 12 spots behind another team with a lot of wins...

citdog
November 14th, 2016, 04:05 PM
The funny thing is their SOS on Massey (90) is only 12 spots behind another team with a lot of wins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLT2erau3zo

Lehigh'98
November 14th, 2016, 04:06 PM
At least the STATS poll has Lehigh's record correct at 8-2. Can't say the same about the coaches.

Twentysix
November 14th, 2016, 04:09 PM
You typed these out right? #18 isn't really "stamford" in one of the polls.

Does stamford even play sports?

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2016, 04:13 PM
You typed these out right? #18 isn't really "stamford" in one of the polls.

Does stamford even play sports?
Nope, copied them straight from the NCAA site: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

They still don't have Samford's name fixed although they did fix Lehigh's record in the Coach's poll.

Catbooster
November 14th, 2016, 04:17 PM

I think I'd be pissed if my coach was spending time keeping up with how teams were doing in all the conferences across the country during the season. Seems more common that coaches aren't that sure about teams they'll be playing later in the season, let alone from some other conference they won't play against. As many have said before, most of the votes in the coaches' poll are probably SID's or some other staffer.

grizband
November 14th, 2016, 04:20 PM
I think I'd be pissed if my coach was spending time keeping up with how teams were doing in all the conferences across the country during the season. Seems more common that coaches aren't that sure about teams they'll be playing later in the season, let alone from some other conference they won't play against. As many have said before, most of the votes in the coaches' poll are probably SID's or some other staffer.
Exactly my points! The idea that coaches spend time studying anyone other than opponents send far fetched.

clenz
November 14th, 2016, 04:24 PM
The SID's don't really have time either. I've heard stories of the vote for the coaches poll falling all the way to athletic department interns....interns that couldn't name all of the teams in their own FCS conference.

The only "knock" on the AGS poll is that it's done by fans. Which is stupid because it's done by 80-100 fans from all across the country, across all conferences, etc... and has a "homer" negotiation build into it.

I can go check but I'm pretty sure the AGS poll has "correctly landed" something like 23 of 24 playoff teams every year it's been at 24 teams.

It's been shown, time and time again, to be the most accurate poll in the nation but it's dismissed because apparently athletic department interns that don't follow the FCS beyond what they have to as part of their internship.

Coaches, SIDs, interns, etc... don't watch games outside of what they need too for the coming week. They sure as hell aren't watching/reading about teams from halfway across the county to see how they should rank them.

I'd be the vast majority of AGS voters watch more games involving a wider array of teams in one weekend than coaches watch all year total.

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2016, 04:36 PM
The SID's don't really have time either. I've heard stories of the vote for the coaches poll falling all the way to athletic department interns....interns that couldn't name all of the teams in their own FCS conference.

The only "knock" on the AGS poll is that it's done by fans. Which is stupid because it's done by 80-100 fans from all across the country, across all conferences, etc... and has a "homer" negotiation build into it.

I can go check but I'm pretty sure the AGS poll has "correctly landed" something like 23 of 24 playoff teams every year it's been at 24 teams.

It's been shown, time and time again, to be the most accurate poll in the nation but it's dismissed because apparently athletic department interns that don't follow the FCS beyond what they have to as part of their internship.

Coaches, SIDs, interns, etc... don't watch games outside of what they need too for the coming week. They sure as hell aren't watching/reading about teams from halfway across the county to see how they should rank them.

I'd be the vast majority of AGS voters watch more games involving a wider array of teams in one weekend than coaches watch all year total.

most coaches think fans are dummies anyway....

grizband
November 14th, 2016, 04:37 PM

Again, exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks Clenz!

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Only in America...er, AGS.....can so many fans of a team with 5 consecutive national championships act so butt-hurt about a team ranked 22nd in a poll....in a division with playoffs.

clenz
November 14th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Only in America...er, AGS.....can so many fans of a team with 5 consecutive national championships act so butt-hurt about a team ranked 22nd in a poll....in a division with playoffs.

Because it shows a complete lack of awareness of the FCS. It shows people are only voting on record, not merit

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2016, 05:13 PM

Nothing against you here Mac but I really don't think you have taken the temperature on this very well.

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Perhaps not, but I think coaches/ADs/SIDs/interns don't have time to worry about who's #21-25 in a poll, and they realize it's just not that big of a deal. Several posters here apparently think it's a ​very big deal.

I'm old enough to remember when the polls just went to #20. :)

The Massey Composite rating has them at #29, so it's not THAT outrageous.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2016, 05:32 PM
It shouldn't be too much to ask to look at their schedule and everything would become clear.

That said I'm not sure why the coaches poll even exists...just scrap the whole thing if nobody has the time to do it right.

thebootfitter
November 14th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Perhaps not, but I think coaches/ADs/SIDs/interns don't have time to worry about who's #21-25 in a poll, and they realize it's just not that big of a deal. Several posters here apparently think it's a ​very big deal.

The big deal is the lack of awareness. And that is a big deal when you have playoffs that include 24 teams. Of course, the playoff committee <> the STATS or Coaches poll, but to think the polls have zero influence is probably not realistic. When it comes time to figure out who those final teams are that make the playoffs, it is a big deal indeed. Consider 2010 when NDSU was probably one of the last teams in at 7-4. Yet they took the eventual champions to the wire (and had a few controversial calls that could have influenced the outcome). Doesn't happen often in football, but when you have a team that is getting hot at the right time that is overlooked because "20-25 isn't a big deal," you could be doing the entire FCS and fan base a big disservice.

thebootfitter
November 14th, 2016, 05:37 PM
It shouldn't be too much to ask to look at their schedule and everything would become clear.

That said I'm not sure why the coaches poll even exists...just scrap the whole thing if nobody has the time to do it right.
I agree with this. Figure out a way to make AGS the "official" FCS poll.

Corn_3024
November 14th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Ha! Go Owls. First ever national ranking school history. While Kennesaw may not have that "signature" win, its been an impressive first two years.

Schedule is soft, but had to be. Jumped straight into a conference out of the gate, and had no way to project where they would be at this point in time. Not to mention light on scholies for the time being.

Deserve to be ranked? Of course not. Trending in the correct direction though.

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 06:19 PM
The big deal is the lack of awareness. And that is a big deal when you have playoffs that include 24 teams. Of course, the playoff committee <> the STATS or Coaches poll, but to think the polls have zero influence is probably not realistic. When it comes time to figure out who those final teams are that make the playoffs, it is a big deal indeed. Consider 2010 when NDSU was probably one of the last teams in at 7-4. Yet they took the eventual champions to the wire (and had a few controversial calls that could have influenced the outcome). Doesn't happen often in football, but when you have a team that is getting hot at the right time that is overlooked because "20-25 isn't a big deal," you could be doing the entire FCS and fan base a big disservice.

Fair enough - I'm sure the influence on the committee is a very small number greater than zero.
2010 was a crazy year anyway - first year of 20 teams, W&M a ludicrous #2 seed, two MEAC teams, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
Let that hot team show themselves, please! If that last team is a 5th place MVFC/BSC/CAA team at 6-5 let them lobby. It just amuses me that all the snark and outrage is coming from the fans of the team least affected (and should be #1 IMO).

Of course if Kennesaw beats Charleston Southern, all bets are off! :)

adamsputnik
November 14th, 2016, 06:21 PM
As an owls fan, it's cool to see us get some sort of national recognition in only our second year, while being aware that the poll results probably aren't really indicative of our current standing. perhaps a win next week against Csu will justify this ranking.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2016, 06:34 PM

Tell me what's worse. Criticizing a "national" FCS poll when they put out a ranking or several rankings that are very questionable or just shrugging your shoulders and saying "whatever"? Why should anyone take the FCS seriously when we don't take it seriously ourselves? The problem with these two polls is they're all that there is out there to use for any media that cares to pay attention to FCS football and, IMO, it's a bad look for the subdivision when it looks like the voters in these polls put about as much effort into it as Randy Moss did when he was playing in Oakland.

I had the same retort to those "whining about the whiners" after the initial selection committee rankings were released. Apparently, in that case as well, the selection committee didn't care enough to put in any real effort and if that effort, or lack thereof, is met with indifference why should they even pretend to make one?

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Who's not taking the FCS seriously because an 8-2 team is ranked #22 in one of our polls?

Quick....no peeking....who was ranked #22 in the FBS polls last week?

clenz
November 14th, 2016, 06:42 PM
The problem is they aren't 8-2 in games that actually matter.

Also, Boise State in the cfp poll

thebootfitter
November 14th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Tell me what's worse. Criticizing a "national" FCS poll when they put out a ranking or several rankings that are very questionable or just shrugging your shoulders and saying "whatever"? Why should anyone take the FCS seriously when we don't take it seriously ourselves? The problem with these two polls is they're all that there is out there to use for any media that cares to pay attention to FCS football and, IMO, it's a bad look for the subdivision when it looks like the voters in these polls put about as much effort into it as Randy Moss did when he was playing in Oakland.

I had the same retort to those "whining about the whiners" after the initial selection committee rankings were released. Apparently, in that case as well, the selection committee didn't care enough to put in any real effort and if that effort, or lack thereof, is met with indifference why should they even pretend to make one?
Exactly!

Fair enough - I'm sure the influence on the committee is a very small number greater than zero.
This is their official party line, and I tend to take them for their word. However, after the first committee rankings looked suspiciously like those polls, I have to wonder. Could be coincidence, but Occam's razor almost suggests otherwise.

It just amuses me that all the snark and outrage is coming from the fans of the team least affected (and should be #1 IMO).
I don't see a lot of snark and outrage, though you may be reading more closely than I am. What I am getting is that many fans on this site actually care about FCS football. They are expressing that it does matter. Professor Chaos summed it up nicely above.

thebootfitter
November 14th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Who's not taking the FCS seriously because an 8-2 team is ranked #22 in one of our polls?
Seriously? You may as well be one of the STATS poll voters then. Oh snap... Maybe you already ARE??? :p

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2016, 06:46 PM

Don't know and I frankly don't care. I'd guarantee you there would be an uproar though if someone like 8-2 South Florida cracked the top 25 and someone like Nebraska was ranked below them. When does it become ok to mail it in when voting in the top 25? Is it ok if they get the top 20 right and then just throw in some teams with gaudy records after that? A half-assed job is a half-assed job.

And if you really want to get into it there's a lot more wrong with that ranking than KSU at #22.

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 07:06 PM
The problem is they aren't 8-2 in games that actually matter.

Also, Boise State in the cfp poll You peeked.

Seriously? You may as well be one of the STATS poll voters then. Oh snap... Maybe you already ARE??? :p Nope - I used to be an AGS voter, though, and I did take it seriously. Would I have Kennesaw in my top 25? No. I think it's quite a stretch to assume a cause-and-effect here. The people who "don't take FCS seriously" aren't going to change their minds because our coaches suddenly made a better effort at who they voted #22. "Hey look, the coaches ranked Maine ahead of Kennesaw. Maybe I should start taking FCS seriously!"

Don't know and I frankly don't care. I'd guarantee you there would be an uproar though if someone like 8-2 South Florida cracked the top 25 and someone like Nebraska was ranked below them. When does it become ok to mail it in when voting in the top 25? Is it ok if they get the top 20 right and then just throw in some teams with gaudy records after that? A half-assed job is a half-assed job.

And if you really want to get into it there's a lot more wrong with that ranking than KSU at #22. The equivalent in your example would be if a bunch of Alabama fans were creating 99% of the uproar.

Yeah, NCC is more egregious. The polls have voted MEAC teams way too high going on 15 years now.

kalm
November 14th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Someone should send who ever runs the Stats and Coaches poll a copy of Supe's spreadsheet and it should be forwarded on to all of the voters every week. If the issue is time, assign the task to an intern at the start of each season and require them to spend a few hours every Sunday dedicated to studying the spread sheet and researching other sources. If that intern ends up doing it for a few years, so much the beter. Have the coach, SID, or AD sign on off on the submitted poll before sending.

milleniumkat
November 14th, 2016, 07:36 PM

But not more than AD's and randoms??

grizband
November 14th, 2016, 07:40 PM
But not more than AD's and randoms??

No, honestly I bet many AGS members are more versed in a variety of teams than an average FCS coach.

clenz
November 14th, 2016, 08:06 PM
You peeked.

Nope. Turns out there are people who watch a lot of football, and I happen to be one of them

Go back to about see 5 or 6 and notice that all of a sudden EWU grabbed a number 1 vote. Turns out someone watched enough football to see a flaw in NDSU that teams could exploit, especially teams like EWU,SDSU and nearly UNI with a revised offensive scheme. A couple weeks after that first vote swapped to EWU all of a sudden NDSU fell victim to exactly what that voter saw and EWU has been #1 since.

Sometimes people actually watch a ****ton of football. Most AGS voters are those people.

ElCid
November 14th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Sometimes people actually watch a ****ton of football. Most AGS voters are those people.

In addition to trying to watch the SOCON games, I try and watch 1 MVFC, 1 BS, and a CAA (if available), and a Southland each week. I always use the 4 quad function on ESPN3. I think I have seen at least 1 game from every conference except the MEAC and SWAC conf matchups. I have seen them when they play OOC.

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Nope. Turns out there are people who watch a lot of football, and I happen to be one of them

Go back to about see 5 or 6 and notice that all of a sudden EWU grabbed a number 1 vote. Turns out someone watched enough football to see a flaw in NDSU that teams could exploit, especially teams like EWU,SDSU and nearly UNI with a revised offensive scheme. A couple weeks after that first vote swapped to EWU all of a sudden NDSU fell victim to exactly what that voter saw and EWU has been #1 since.

Impressive. I watch a ****ton of football, too. Voters in the coaches poll don't. They don't have time outside of scouting their next two-three opponents.

Even watching a ****ton of football, I don't memorize the AP, Coaches, and CFP polls #1-25 every week. Bravo.

But y'all have convinced me. People are really going to start taking the FCS seriously as soon as the coaches stop voting Kennesaw at #22.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Impressive. I watch a ****ton of football, too. Voters in the coaches poll don't. They don't have time outside of scouting their next two-three opponents.

Even watching a ****ton of football, I don't memorize the AP, Coaches, and CFP polls #1-25 every week. Bravo.

But y'all have convinced me. People are really going to start taking the FCS seriously as soon as the coaches stop voting Kennesaw at #22.
C'mon man, you can't really be that dense. People aren't going to take the FCS any more seriously if the Coach's and STATS polls stop sucking but the suckitude of those polls show that the AGS poll voters take their responsibility more seriously than "national" poll voters. And those national poll voters deserve all the criticism they can get until they start putting a better product out there.

clenz
November 14th, 2016, 09:31 PM

The thing is, watch enough football and you remember that little number next to a teams name on the score widget, or box score. That's the issue.

People will see KSU with 22 next to their name and assume they are a top team. It's like when the celebration bowl announcers were pimping out the participants in that as two of the top teams in the nation with the two bets defenses in the nation. That's how the fcs gets misrepresented. That's the stuff that shows "week, if those that follow the fcs dgaf why should I?"

STATS wants to be the end all be all for fcs yet continue to pimp out complete bull**** like that poll that shows whomever is voting isn't paying attention.

Preferred Walk-On
November 14th, 2016, 09:51 PM
^^THIS^^

Preferred Walk-On
November 14th, 2016, 09:52 PM

I meant ^^THIS^^, but the other one works as well.

MacThor
November 14th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Nobody should knock the AGS poll. It's the best one out there. I'm not disputing that.
That being said, the polls aren't THAT different. 22 teams show up in all 3. The top 7 in each poll is made up of the same 7 schools.
NCC & Kennesaw are way too high, sure. Coastal I can see because STATS doesn't have the same rule as AGS - I bet if AGS didn't exclude CCU they'd get some votes. St. Francis at #25 in one poll doesn't bother me.

The committee's rankings are consistent with how they've seeded teams year in and year out. Best overall records from power conferences.
There's a very good chance their Top 10 has the same 10 schools as AGS's, but in a different order. That's a far cry from making "no effort."

What "people" are seeing the 22 next to KSU and making assumptions? I think you're seriously overstating the effect. The only people who care are KSU fans, Big South fans, and FCS superfans - and none of them are getting fooled.

WileECoyote06
November 14th, 2016, 10:48 PM
We're happy to be ranked in two polls in our 5th year of being fully DI. This only adds more excitement to our rivalry game on Saturday. I'm not saying y'all are wrong, but seriously. . .after 20. . . . let those teams enjoy their ranking. It's not like anyone after 15 has a real shot at winning the championship anyway.

BTW, NCCU got several votes in the AGS poll too, and it wasn't me (until very recently).

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2016, 11:10 PM
I think everyone here in this thread is making really good arguments.

I do think it would be best if those doing their ballots looked at it much more closely than just a w/l record but man I think when people just volunteering their effort put more into it than people being paid for doing these things it reflects on who has the passion for this sort of thing.

McNeese75
November 15th, 2016, 09:28 AM
KSU may not be top 25 but they should be close (pretty salty for their second season). Their offense is obviously prolific and their two losses have not been that bad. This week will tell a lot and the result will probably be a KSU mudhole but that's why they play the game.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2016, 09:42 AM
I'm just happy A&T made it to the top 15 of the AGS poll this week.

AmsterBison
November 15th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Kennesaw State being ranked is definitely a new low in the dumpster fire that is these polls.

For me, nothing will ever top NDSU dropping 6 spots after a bye week because the voters in the coaches poll couldn't tell NDSU and North Dakota apart.

I know, I know, UND fans don't think that the pollsters made a mistake and that their 1-2 team (16-0 v Drake, 30-point loss to Idaho (!!! how the hell do you even do that?) , 5-pt loss to Fresno State) should totally have been ranked #22 in the poll and that NDSU dropped because beating their first two opponents by 98-9 wasn't very convincing.

Mayville Bison
November 15th, 2016, 11:19 AM

I'll care about who is #22 in the FBS poll when they tell me teams outside of 1-4ish matter. Until that point, #22 doesn't matter. In the FCS world, #22 is on the bubble of the playoffs. Are you telling me you would put Kennessaw St in the playoffs before anyone below them?

The Pud
November 15th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Sammy continues to gain more votes to extend their number 1 ranking in both Coaches and Sports Writers poll. Impressive!

F'N Hawks
November 15th, 2016, 03:09 PM
For me, nothing will ever top NDSU dropping 6 spots after a bye week because the voters in the coaches poll couldn't tell NDSU and North Dakota apart.

I know, I know, UND fans don't think that the pollsters made a mistake and that their 1-2 team (16-0 v Drake, 30-point loss to Idaho (!!! how the hell do you even do that?) , 5-pt loss to Fresno State) should totally have been ranked #22 in the poll and that NDSU dropped because beating their first two opponents by 98-9 wasn't very convincing.

That was five years ago. You gonna be alright, big guy? xshakingmadxxshakingmadx

Bison56
November 15th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Sammy continues to gain more votes to extend their number 1 ranking in both Coaches and Sports Writers poll. Impressive!

Almost as impressive as their schedule.xcoffeex

milleniumkat
November 15th, 2016, 07:47 PM
No, honestly I bet many AGS members are more versed in a variety of teams than an average FCS coach.

Agree to disagree like gentlemen?

grizband
November 15th, 2016, 07:48 PM

Of course

AmsterBison
November 15th, 2016, 10:02 PM
That was five years ago. You gonna be alright, big guy? xshakingmadxxshakingmadx

Huh? That's still the all-time low for the coaches poll since I've been following FCS closely. Do you have a better example? If so, please enlighten me.

MacThor
November 15th, 2016, 10:47 PM
The committee's rankings are consistent with how they've seeded teams year in and year out. Best overall records from power conferences.
There's a very good chance their Top 10 has the same 10 schools as AGS's, but in a different order. That's a far cry from making "no effort."

I don't often quote myself, but truth.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2016, 11:13 PM
I don't often quote myself, but truth.
Wait! You're saying teams with better records are ranked higher??? What a novel concept...

MacThor
November 15th, 2016, 11:41 PM
No, I'm saying the committee top 10 is very close to the AGS top 10, but you knew that...

Let the adults talk now, Butters.....

thebootfitter
November 16th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Why would he do that when you are so obviously off base? xdrunkyx

milleniumkat
November 16th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Why would he do that when you are so obviously off base? xdrunkyx

i'm not.

Bisonator
November 16th, 2016, 12:00 PM

http://img07.deviantart.net/10a1/i/2012/363/6/6/gentleman__s_duel_by_sheys4-d5pmpcq.jpg

Sammy94
November 16th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Wait! You're saying teams with better records are ranked higher??? What a novel concept...

Wait, what? You left off depending on the schedule they played and if they had good wins/losses or not.

thebootfitter
November 16th, 2016, 12:28 PM
i'm not.

Would be fun do do a pop quiz or Jeapardy style game show pitting a handful of FCS coaches against the more knowledgeable posters on here to see how it shakes out. Not practical to implement, but would be fun.

I'd bet $100 of hard-earned cash that AGS posters would win hands down. Coaches pay attention to the teams they play. They don't have time for much else. They don't have time to compare stats and records across other conferences. They don't take the time to watch 8-10 or more games each week across the FCS. It has no value to them through the course of the regular season. Then in the playoffs, it doesn't matter. It only matters who they play next.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2016, 01:18 PM
i'm not.

You absolutely are. It is not close and has not been for a good decade.

If you were saying coaches knew more about football and members here could not match them in that endeavor and some dullard disagreed with you and said they could...you would be spot on.

It should be obvious to you at this point that you have been wrong about how things are lining up with the selection committee in that it is moving way closer to what these voters have had for weeks than what any other poll has out there. You might not like that you have been wrong about this since coming on here but you are going to live with it.

Results f'n matter. That's a fact Jack.

UNIFanSince1983
November 16th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Where will they have them next week is a better question.

Well we have that answer now don't we...

Sammy94
November 16th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Well we have that answer now don't we...

True but everybody else switched around so no telling what it will look like next week well besides who #1 will be. I'm starting to think they just put the top 10 teams in a hat and draw.