PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 12

Pages : [1] 2

carney2
November 12th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Week 12

Only two teams will finish the season with a winning record. Mediocrity r us.

FORDHAM @ BUCKNELL
LEHIGH @ LAFAYETTE
GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE

Bye: HOLY CROSS

Game of the Week: Lehigh @ Lafayette – It will be a blowout, but picking it for the tradition. Anyone who goes with the “Ya never can tell in a rivalry” argument gets no soup – not even a dirty bowl.

carney2
November 12th, 2016, 03:28 PM
An individual on the Lafayette board says that Tavani will resign by Monday the 14th. Let's see if he's dreaming or has inside information.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2016, 03:37 PM
An individual on the Lafayette board says that Tavani will resign by Monday the 14th. Let's see if he's dreaming or has inside information.

You misspelled "Gilmore"

Go...gate
November 12th, 2016, 03:39 PM

Resign or retire?

carney2
November 12th, 2016, 03:54 PM
You misspelled "Gilmore"

Gilmore is apparently a given. Tavani is still in doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

Resign or retire?

And the difference is ... ?

bonarae
November 12th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Fordham
Lehigh
Colgate

Go...gate
November 12th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Gilmore is apparently a given. Tavani is still in doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

And the difference is ... ?

In this particular situation, one is less ignominious and more graceful than the other.

ngineer
November 12th, 2016, 11:21 PM
Bucky may give the Rams all they can handle with their D. I see this as competitive, but see Rams prevailing, 31-21.

Hoyas on the frozen tundra. May the G-string can make it interesting for awhile, but can't see them containing Melville whole game. Raiders 34-14.

Lehigh should "more than shine". A week to rest/heal up, and get focus on finishing strong to possibly get a home field playoff game. Andy will not run it up on Frank. He called off the dogs on Yale and Fordham (whose coaches are not on his Christmas card list), so as much as Lehigh alums would love the Brown & White to hang 70 on the Leotards, I see this as a 47-17 beating.

The Gilmore Girls soak in Worcester Sauce.

For the 13th consecutive year, I must succinctly state:

November 19, 2016...THAT TIME OF THE MONTH FOR THE PUSSY TO BLEED!!!! xnodxxrotatehxxsmiley_wixxthumbsupx:):Dxawesomexxt roublexxsmileyclapxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhu rrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxslapfightxxbeerchugxxasswhip xxasswhipxxasswhipxxasswhipxxspankxxspankxxanim_ch aixxanim_chaixxanim_chaixxanim_chaixxanim_chaixxan im_chaixxanim_chaixxanim_chaix

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 12th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Hopefully this year's Lehigh-Lafayette game is not a replay of 1999. The dreadful Leopards played an inspired game for the outgoing Bill Russo and nearly pulled off a huge upset.....

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2016, 01:22 AM
Georgetown's games at Hamilton. I see a trend here.

2002: Lost by 22
2004: Lost by 33
2006: Lost by 17
2010: Lost by 31
2012: Lost by 21
2014: Lost by 19

Ivytalk
November 13th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Rams
M-Hawks
Da Raidahs

ColgateTD
November 13th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Fordham - by 28
Colgate - by 37
Lafayette - by 5 - upset for the ages

38-15

Lehigh'98
November 13th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Fordham - by 28
Colgate - by 37
Lafayette - by 5 - upset for the ages

38-15

If Tavani announces he's leaving, I could see this as being a very close contest. Lehigh will be looking ahead and the Lafayette seniors haven't had a big win in two years. Last chance here.

carney2
November 13th, 2016, 12:12 PM
The Squawkers on this board are unbelievable. The DungBoys could be playing the Shady Maples Senior Center JVs and it would still be a really tough game with "Game of the Week" written all over it. Have you been unconscious for 2 years since Yankee Stadium?!! The Brownies will hang at least 50 on a very bad team/program - and that's with or without Coen "taking it easy."

Speaking of Yankee Stadium, what was the attendance at the Fordham - Holy Cross snorefest?

Ramblin' Man
November 13th, 2016, 12:21 PM

Lehigh'98
November 13th, 2016, 12:24 PM
The Squawkers on this board are unbelievable. The DungBoys could be playing the Shady Maples Senior Center JVs and it would still be a really tough game with "Game of the Week" written all over it. Have you been unconscious for 2 years since Yankee Stadium?!! The Brownies will hang at least 50 on a very bad team/program - and that's with or without Coen "taking it easy."

Speaking of Yankee Stadium, what was the attendance at the Fordham - Holy Cross snorefest?

Excuse me for saying something that could be construed as slightly positive towards Lafayette football

Lehigh'98
November 13th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Bucky may give the Rams all they can handle with their D. I see this as competitive, but see Rams prevailing, 31-21.

Hoyas on the frozen tundra. May the G-string can make it interesting for awhile, but can't see them containing Melville whole game. Raiders 34-14.

Lehigh should "more than shine". A week to rest/heal up, and get focus on finishing strong to possibly get a home field playoff game. Andy will not run it up on Frank. He called off the dogs on Yale and Fordham (whose coaches are not on his Christmas card list), so as much as Lehigh alums would love the Brown & White to hang 70 on the Leotards, I see this as a 47-17 beating.

The Gilmore Girls soak in Worcester Sauce.

For the 13th consecutive year, I must succinctly state:

November 19, 2016...THAT TIME OF THE MONTH FOR THE PUSSY TO BLEED!!!! xnodxxrotatehxxsmiley_wixxthumbsupx:):Dxawesomexxt roublexxsmileyclapxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhu rrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxslapfightxxbeerchugxxasswhip xxasswhipxxasswhipxxasswhipxxspankxxspankxxanim_ch aixxanim_chaixxanim_chaixxanim_chaixxanim_chaixxan im_chaixxanim_chaixxanim_chaix

The pussy has been hemorrhaging blood all season. In fact I think it's dead

hawkineer
November 13th, 2016, 12:33 PM
If Tavani announces he's leaving, I could see this as being a very close contest. Lehigh will be looking ahead and the Lafayette seniors haven't had a big win in two years. Last chance here.
If this isn't at least a 17 point win, it will be disappointing and wouldn't bode well for the following week. There have been very few upsets in this series over the past two decades plus, despite being a rivalry game. Except for '99 and '10, Lehigh has won handily when they have been a prohibitive favorite regardless of the game being at Fisher or Goodman. A loss would place a large damper on the season and eliminate any chance for a home playoff. LU should be highly motivated. I don't see how a Tavani retirement announcement can overcome the talent gap or LU's motivaion, nor should it. A beat down of LC would finally get rid of that awful taste still lingering from '14. Last year only partially did so.

Doc QB
November 13th, 2016, 01:06 PM
If this isn't at least a 17 point win, it will be disappointing and wouldn't bode well for the following week. There have been very few upsets in this series over the past two decades plus, despite being a rivalry game. Except for '99 and '10, Lehigh has won handily when they have been a prohibitive favorite regardless of the game being at Fisher or Goodman. A loss would place a large damper on the season and eliminate any chance for a home playoff. LU should be highly motivated. I don't see how a Tavani retirement announcement can overcome the talent gap or LU's motivaion, nor should it. A beat down of LC would finally get rid of that awful taste still lingering from '14. Last year only partially did so.

agree. Tavani has lost the team and program, and alums. Him leaving or announcing it won't raise anybody's blood pressure, except the Leopard alums who would then be able to knowingly and with certainty look for his replacement.

van
November 13th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Scene from Lafayette campus next Saturday!

http://d2ouvy59p0dg6k.cloudfront.net/img/original/skin_resize_1.jpg

Franks Tanks
November 13th, 2016, 01:22 PM
agree. Tavani has lost the team and program, and alums. Him leaving or announcing it won't raise anybody's blood pressure, except the Leopard alums who would then be able to knowingly and with certainty look for his replacement.

Yes. If he says tomorrow he is retiring after the game, I think his players and assistants would prefer he retires immediately. Nobody on the current team is playing harder cause the guy who decides the movie on the bus is finally leaving.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2016, 01:23 PM
It's been said before, but the stubborn refusal of the PL to establish rivalry games in week 12 other than the all-important Leh-Lef game further minimizes the league's marketability.

Fordham-Bucknell? Georgetown-Colgate? The combined attendance for these two games is likely under 6,000.

hawkineer
November 13th, 2016, 01:44 PM
It's been said before, but the stubborn refusal of the PL to establish rivalry games in week 12 other than the all-important Leh-Lef game further minimizes the league's marketability.

Fordham-Bucknell? Georgetown-Colgate? The combined attendance for these two games is likely under 6,000.
I'm not sure how you can create a rivalry game. LU-LC is one of the top ten rivalries in the country. Geography, longevity, and general disdain for each other obviously have a lot to do with it.

Colgate and Fordham seem like the most likely for a week 12 game. This could evolve into a rivalry. Two NY teams who are perennial contenders. The game would likely be consequential year in, year out.

Not sure what you can do with the other three teams. Bucknell has played LU and LC more than any other school. HC biggest rival might be Harvard. GU??????

Engineer86
November 13th, 2016, 02:02 PM

Hey this is a rivalry game and you never know with a rivalry game!:Dxlolx

xcoffeex I brought my own soup

Fordham
November 13th, 2016, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure how you can create a rivalry game. LU-LC is one of the top ten rivalries in the country. Geography, longevity, and general disdain for each other obviously have a lot to do with it.

Colgate and Fordham seem like the most likely for a week 12 game. This could evolve into a rivalry. Two NY teams who are perennial contenders. The game would likely be consequential year in, year out.

Not sure what you can do with the other three teams. Bucknell has played LU and LC more than any other school. HC biggest rival might be Harvard. GU??????
Fordham and Gtown are natural last game rivals imo.

I believe HC and Gate have a very long history and make for natural last game opponents to DFW's point imo

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Holy Cross and Colgate have played 78 times since 1934.

NE Leopard
November 13th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Yes. If he says tomorrow he is retiring after the game, I think his players and assistants would prefer he retires immediately. Nobody on the current team is playing harder cause the guy who decides the movie on the bus is finally leaving.

A bit of apples and oranges, but Pitt was not supposed to beat Clemson, USC was not supposed to beat Washington, and God knows Iowa was not supposed to beat Michigan. I'm not predicting an upset, but Lafayette is a better team than what has been showing up on the field. Let's see who shows up next Saturday. That's why we play the game.

Ramblin' Man
November 13th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Fordham and Gtown are natural last game rivals imo.

I believe HC and Gate have a very long history and make for natural last game opponents to DFW's point imo

Fordham and Georgetown have played 61 times since 1890. It is Fordham's oldest and longest rivalry. Fordham leads in the series 36-22-3.

Gate83
November 13th, 2016, 08:24 PM
So Bucknell gets a bye last week of the season every year?

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2016, 08:35 PM
So it's Lehigh week....

https://assets.pando.com/_versions/2015/03/meh-cat_featured.png

hawkineer
November 13th, 2016, 08:39 PM
I guess that the number of times played matters, but I think that it is the contempt that the familiarity breeds that makes a rivalry. From an external perspective, I just don't see the passion, disdain, needling, banter, etc. of FU-GU or HC-CU fans to indicate a rivalry or making of one. At least with FU-CU, the meaningfulness of the games could plant the seeds of a healthy rivalry like disdain and contempt for the other guys!xsmiley_wix

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2016, 08:49 PM
:SIGH:....

http://cdn.vidyard.com/thumbnails/custom/1fe39baa-5543-4f49-8d19-176946aa3c13.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2016, 09:46 PM
I think it works like this:

Competitively: Big games make Rivalries. The more times you play Big Games and the results are split, the bigger Rivalries get. The closer these games are to the end of the season, the more likely the games are to be Big.

Once teams have established themselves in some sort of competitive way with each other, that's where the other stuff comes into play - proximity, types of institutions, enrollment, etc.

Lehigh and Lafayette's Rivalry had a headstart over almost every other Rivalry in America because the towns were separated by a train stop. It was a rare football game in the 1880s where the fans of both schools could see the games against their Rivals both home and away. That's the origin of everything, I think, and from there it has continued.

Alongside the Lafayette Rivalry, a rivalry between Colgate and Lehigh has blossomed somewhat, I think, over the last couple of decades. That's because the games have been both competitive and have been Big (playoff, champ implications).

In conclusion, the reason why more Rivalries haven't popped up is because the teams themselves haven't had consistent success. There was a stretch where Holy Cross had some big games vs. Lehigh, but it's been very inconsistent. Same with Fordham, though that's more difficult to explain - in fact, it's very frustrating to me that Fordham doesn't have more of a rivalry with Lehigh. They've played some big games with Lehigh, but Bucknell brought more fans to Lehigh than Fordham did, I thought. Fordham really bucks the trend, but maybe with more competitive games this might bear itself out a bit more.

Go...gate
November 13th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Holy Cross and Colgate have played 78 times since 1934.

And the two teams have a rich series history. Some marvelous games.

Go...gate
November 13th, 2016, 10:14 PM
We don't have an extensive history with Fordham, save the fact they they played their very first game in I-AA against us in September 1989.

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2016, 06:16 AM
In conclusion, the reason why more Rivalries haven't popped up is because the teams themselves haven't had consistent success. There was a stretch where Holy Cross had some big games vs. Lehigh, but it's been very inconsistent. Same with Fordham, though that's more difficult to explain - in fact, it's very frustrating to me that Fordham doesn't have more of a rivalry with Lehigh. They've played some big games with Lehigh, but Bucknell brought more fans to Lehigh than Fordham did, I thought. Fordham really bucks the trend, but maybe with more competitive games this might bear itself out a bit more.

Rivalries live on timing. There's a reason Harvard and Yale don't play in September, or why the Iron Bowl isn't in October. it's a way for these schools (and by extension, the conference) to state that these games matter, and others don't. Placing Holy Cross-Colgate on week 12 every year doesn't diminish Lehigh-Lafayette. Why is it so difficult for the league to acknowledge that there are rivalries elsewhere?

jimbo65
November 14th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Fordham

Lehigh

Colgate

ColgateTD
November 14th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Colgate-Holy Cross has been a long time rivalry and having it be the last game would be perfect. In the past this game decided the PL championship many times, or at least bragging rights. Most 'Gate alums are in favor of having the schedule changed to accomodate this.

PAllen
November 14th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Rivalries live on timing. There's a reason Harvard and Yale don't play in September, or why the Iron Bowl isn't in October. it's a way for these schools (and by extension, the conference) to state that these games matter, and others don't. Placing Holy Cross-Colgate on week 12 every year doesn't diminish Lehigh-Lafayette. Why is it so difficult for the league to acknowledge that there are rivalries elsewhere?

I don't disagree. I think one of the biggest reasons there are no set week 12 rivalries beyond Lehigh/Lafayette is the odd number of schools and the long standing relationships between some. Bucknell's biggest rivalry in the PL is with Lehigh. LU's not going to play a doubleheader in week 12, so who do you match the Bison up with? Colgate might work along with pairing HC up with Fordham. That leaves GU out in the cold. So then you look at attracting expansion candidates, and does a set week 12 home and away with GU really appeal?

PAllen
November 14th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Colgate-Holy Cross has been a long time rivalry and having it be the last game would be perfect. In the past this game decided the PL championship many times, or at least bragging rights. Most 'Gate alums are in favor of having the schedule changed to accomodate this.

The problem is that the league is not going to leave founding member Bucknell out in the cold. Does Bucknell/Fordham have any real interest? Bucknell/Georgetown surely does not. I don't see any scenario with the current league makeup where Georgetown gets a week 12 "rivalry".

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2016, 12:19 PM
The problem is that the league is not going to leave founding member Bucknell out in the cold. Does Bucknell/Fordham have any real interest? Bucknell/Georgetown surely does not. I don't see any scenario with the current league makeup where Georgetown gets a week 12 "rivalry".

By week 12, I'm not sure how many would care that Georgetown doesn't have a rivalry game. Fifteen losing seasons since 2000 (and no end in sight) tends to wear out a fan base.

Lehigh'98
November 14th, 2016, 12:28 PM
By week 12, I'm not sure how many would care that Georgetown doesn't have a rivalry game. Fifteen losing seasons since 2000 (and no end in sight) tends to wear out a fan base.

Georgetown, being the only team not giving schollies, should be left out of the week 12 rivalry game argument. I think it should be L/L, Fordham/HC & Gate/Bucknell each year.

ngineer
November 14th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I think it works like this:

Competitively: Big games make Rivalries. The more times you play Big Games and the results are split, the bigger Rivalries get. The closer these games are to the end of the season, the more likely the games are to be Big.

Once teams have established themselves in some sort of competitive way with each other, that's where the other stuff comes into play - proximity, types of institutions, enrollment, etc.

Lehigh and Lafayette's Rivalry had a headstart over almost every other Rivalry in America because the towns were separated by a train stop. It was a rare football game in the 1880s where the fans of both schools could see the games against their Rivals both home and away. That's the origin of everything, I think, and from there it has continued.

Alongside the Lafayette Rivalry, a rivalry between Colgate and Lehigh has blossomed somewhat, I think, over the last couple of decades. That's because the games have been both competitive and have been Big (playoff, champ implications).

The thing about L-L is that The Rivalry transcends all sports, not just football. The proximity certainly helped fan the fire and has kept it going. The schools, themselves, are very different in many ways. Fordham can become a good rivalry, it just needs time. Rams have only been on the scene (locally) for the past 20 years or so, and only recently have begun being consistently good. When "stuff" is on the line, year after year, it starts getting personal.

LeopardBall10
November 14th, 2016, 12:54 PM
The thing about L-L is that The Rivalry transcends all sports, not just football.

I can't agree with you this week, but let's just say that if I read this comment the day after Lehigh wipes the field with my beloved leopards I wouldn't disagree with it. Lafayette-Lehigh basketball games, soccer games, admission rates, Forbes rankings.... Anywhere these two schools can openly compete, we do.

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I can't agree with you this week, but let's just say that if I read this comment the day after Lehigh wipes the field with my beloved leopards I wouldn't disagree with it. Lafayette-Lehigh basketball games, soccer games, admission rates, Forbes rankings.... Anywhere these two schools can openly compete, we do.

Here's your Week 12 lineups:

Lafayete-Lehigh
Bucknell-Colgate (65 games)
Holy Cross-Fordham (52 games)

It would be difficult even for me to argue Georgetown should be included above. The Hoyas are not only a geographic and competitive outlier, but after 16 years share no real rivalries with any PL schools. No one walks around Washington worrying about talk of "Colgate week" or some burning desire to beat Bucknell. It isn't there, and it's not likely to change.

It's hard to get worked up with teams that you never see the rest of the year and and the school has never regularly played. Villanova would be the only school to whom students and alumni would show heightened interest but that program has no interest whatsoever in a series.

PAllen
November 14th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Here's your Week 12 lineups:

Lafayete-Lehigh
Bucknell-Colgate (65 games)
Holy Cross-Fordham (52 games)

It would be difficult even for me to argue Georgetown should be included above. The Hoyas are not only a geographic and competitive outlier, but after 16 years share no real rivalries with any PL schools. No one walks around Washington worrying about talk of "Colgate week" or some burning desire to beat Bucknell. It isn't there, and it's not likely to change.

It's hard to get worked up with teams that you never see the rest of the year and and the school has never regularly played. Villanova would be the only school to whom students and alumni would show heightened interest but that program has no interest whatsoever in a series.

I agree. So that leaves the one remaining issue (which I'm not sure is that much of a concern at the league offices at the moment) being how much does it help or hurt the league with courting expansion candidates by clearly stating that your regular season ending game will be against Georgetown? It certainly doesn't help with the preferred candidates (who aren't all that interested in the league anyway), but it may help with a Marist, Monmouth, or Duquesne.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2016, 04:34 PM
There was a span of two years where Fordham/HC and Colgate/HC were some pretty enormous games for those teams. But it wasn't sustainable.

That's what I mean about consistency. If you have a span of 5-10 years when the HC/Colgate or Fordham/Colgate winner determines the PL championship, that is a big factor. That's why Colgate/Lehigh has really blossomed into something - we literally have decades where the winner of that game has the inside track for the championship. They had the history, they're very similar institutions, and in 1986 they became leaguemates. But I'd argue that it's become a rivalry due to the competitiveness.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2016, 04:35 PM
I agree. So that leaves the one remaining issue (which I'm not sure is that much of a concern at the league offices at the moment) being how much does it help or hurt the league with courting expansion candidates by clearly stating that your regular season ending game will be against Georgetown? It certainly doesn't help with the preferred candidates (who aren't all that interested in the league anyway), but it may help with a Marist, Monmouth, or Duquesne.

Georgetown/Loyola(MD).....

Lehigh'98
November 14th, 2016, 04:47 PM
So, any word on Tavani or GIlmore today?

TheValleyRaider
November 14th, 2016, 05:31 PM
3-0 last week, up to 38-14 for the season. How quickly it ends, so soon after beginning...

Fordham at Bucknell Fordham Sneakily, this might be the best match-up of the day. The Bison have the defense to give anyone in the League fits, and it wasn't that long ago that these two had several down-to-the-wire contests to decide the League title. I think the Rams will score just enough to outlast Bucknell, but this one could be quite competitive. It would be a nice add to the Bison season to grab a win over their Bronx rivals.

Lehigh at Lafayette Lehigh The one, the only. Carney did the math a few years ago and, in spite of traditional rivalry talk, the favorite usually walks away the winner. Depending on the status of Tavani, the Leopards might be able to pull something together and make it interesting. Even with that though, I doubt the Hawks slow down with a perfect League record and another victory over the ancient foe on the table.

Georgetown at Colgate Colgate 5-5 seemed like a plausible scenario back in August, with only the Yale and Cornell results swapped. I've said my piece on the 10-game schedule, but this is a team much closer to a playoff spot than the record indicates. 3 of those 4 losses came by 1 score, meaning they weren't too far away from entering this weekend 7-2. Plenty of changes, including at QB, for next season, but I see no reason to believe the 'Gate won't be back in the thick of it again. Finishing with wins in 3 of 4 would feel good, even if it came after passing through the meat of the schedule. Oh, this game in particular? While I don't want to completely dismiss Georgetown (why they play the games and all that), but I don't see how Colgate loses this one given what we know this season. Of course, it could happen, but I wouldn't pick it.

Sader87
November 14th, 2016, 07:46 PM
We used to be rivals with BC ya' know......we also coulda been in the Big East xdrunkyx

Gate83
November 14th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Our rival (at least from the Gate side) is Cornell, not any of the other PL squads. Geography, hockey, etc. As LFN points out we've had spurts where HC & Lehigh were good & meaningful games, but I can't remember one conversation in 30+ years where we've really considered either one a "rival."

So yeah, if we end the year with Bucknell (or Georgetown), fine. How about a flex schedule where we can make Gate/Lehigh the last game of the year if the Pards can't turn it around?

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Our rival (at least from the Gate side) is Cornell, not any of the other PL squads. Geography, hockey, etc. As LFN points out we've had spurts where HC & Lehigh were good & meaningful games, but I can't remember one conversation in 30+ years where we've really considered either one a "rival."

So yeah, if we end the year with Bucknell (or Georgetown), fine. How about a flex schedule where we can make Gate/Lehigh the last game of the year if the Pards can't turn it around?

Nobody associated with Lehigh would want that, as most come for the event and not the game.

Sader87
November 14th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Colgate-HC was a very good football rivalry from the 1950s-1980s....they were basically the two small East Indies amongst Penn St, Syracuse et al......it really hasn't come close to being as good a rivalry on a yearly basis since the advent of the Patriot League.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Lehigh 63, Lafayette 14

van
November 14th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Lehigh 63, Lafayette 14

nope, we would not run up a score like that even if we could, 35-14 maybe

ngineer
November 14th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Nobody associated with Lehigh would want that, as most come for the event and not the game.

True dat. I know scores of alums who will be on College Hill Saturday, but have no desire to see the game. Will be tailgating from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Despite the Administration's efforts over the years to have a "Homecoming Week" in October, this weekend has always been the weekend the alums come home.

Gate83
November 14th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Colgate-HC was a very good football rivalry from the 1950s-1980s....they were basically the two small East Indies amongst Penn St, Syracuse et al......it really hasn't come close to being as good a rivalry on a yearly basis since the advent of the Patriot League.

Rivalry to me implies there's something special about the game, as there clearly is with Pards/Mountain Engineers. Never felt the same with the Cross, at least from our side... even in the Dom Randolph heyday when both of our teams were pretty good I didn't feel any extra juice for the Cross game, other than they were meaningful from a league perspective. Did you feel differently?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 14th, 2016, 10:23 PM

I certainly think Lehigh and Colgate has emerged as a rivalry in the same way Delaware and Lehigh use to be rivals. There's been a lot on the line between the two (two winningest PL programs) and emotions are usually extremely high. There was a year stretch ('98-'01) when the Lehigh-Colgate games were FAR more intense than Lehigh-Lafayette imo.

I can think back to '97 and basically recall every game between Colgate and Lehigh. No offense to HC, but Lehigh and Colgate have played far more meaningful games in the playoff era then the Crusaders and Raiders have. That's why both fan bases were disappointed that this year's game was held in early October.

I'm not sure who said it, but I felt this was an accurate description of how Lehigh fans look at Colgate, "Lafayette is our rival, but Colgate is our nemesis". Think Auburn-Alabama (LU-LC) and Alabama-LSU (Lehigh-Colgate)....for frame of reference purposes only...lol xdrunkyx

Sader87
November 14th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Rivalry to me implies there's something special about the game, as there clearly is with Pards/Mountain Engineers. Never felt the same with the Cross, at least from our side... even in the Dom Randolph heyday when both of our teams were pretty good I didn't feel any extra juice for the Cross game, other than they were meaningful from a league perspective. Did you feel differently?

Holy Cross-Colgate was a very big game (from my experience as a young fan, later student) in the 1970s and 1980s.....as I mentioned earlier, they were sort of the 'little 2" of the East Indies in the 60s and 70s and then were two of the better 1-AA programs in the country in the 1980s.....the 1983 Colgate-HC drew 20K+ at Fitton in 1983, a year after the game was televised on ABC in Hamilton in 1982....yes, it was a big rivalry at that time.

I agree that institutionally it doesn't make for a great athletic rivalry in general....but it was a very good football rivalry at one time.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2016, 11:36 PM
I can say among players Lehigh/Colgate is VERY intense and has been for, conservatively, the last decade. Even going into the late 1990s, though, they were also for league titles. There is also a recruiting aspect. Maddaluna is just one guy that was thinking about heading to Lehigh but instead went to Colgate. All the PL teams recruit against each other, but there seems like there's a lot of overlap between Lehigh and Colgate.

Lehigh and Lafayette, of course, is the most-played Rivalry, and is unquestionably the arch-Rivalry for both. What's odd about a particularly great Rivalry like this one is that it gets its own momentum - even if one team or both teams suck, fans turn out for the bowl game and the spectacle, whereas Lehigh/Colgate is more fragile.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 14th, 2016, 11:41 PM
I can say among players Lehigh/Colgate is VERY intense and has been for, conservatively, the last decade. Even going into the late 1990s, though, they were also for league titles. There is also a recruiting aspect. Maddaluna is just one guy that was thinking about heading to Lehigh but instead went to Colgate. All the PL teams recruit against each other, but there seems like there's a lot of overlap between Lehigh and Colgate.

Lehigh and Lafayette, of course, is the most-played Rivalry, and is unquestionably the arch-Rivalry for both. What's odd about a particularly great Rivalry like this one is that it gets its own momentum - even if one team or both teams suck, fans turn out for the bowl game and the spectacle, whereas Lehigh/Colgate is more fragile.

Lehigh-Colgate in 1999 is the most intense Lehigh football I remember attending during the PL playoff era. The two teams tried to kill each other for 60 minutes. They really didn't shake hands after the game. I'm not sure Higgins and Biddle did. The entire game is on youtube and worth a watch despite the outcome. For whatever reason Higgins, Lembo and Coen never seemed too fond of Biddle.

The only Lehigh-Lafayette game that comes close imo was 2005 due to what happened the year before and Lafayette's emergence on the national scene.

Colgate '99, Lafayette '05 and UMass in '98 are three games that really stand out in terms of being on the next level of intensity and meaning.

Gangtackle11
November 15th, 2016, 06:44 AM
Fordham
Lehigh
Colgate

Last Week: 1-2 Season: 35-17

Gate83
November 15th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Lehigh-Colgate in 1999 is the most intense Lehigh football I remember attending during the PL playoff era. The two teams tried to kill each other for 60 minutes. They really didn't shake hands after the game. I'm not sure Higgins and Biddle did. The entire game is on youtube and worth a watch despite the outcome. For whatever reason Higgins, Lembo and Coen never seemed too fond of Biddle.

The only Lehigh-Lafayette game that comes close imo was 2005 due to what happened the year before and Lafayette's emergence on the national scene.

Colgate '99, Lafayette '05 and UMass in '98 are three games that really stand out in terms of being on the next level of intensity and meaning.

I don't really remember the '99 game (kids were at the age where I wasn't following so closely) but certainly remember the great Cross games of the early 80's (was at Fitton in '83!) and more recently the games against Lehigh that had title implications. I'd agree those were great games because of context, but there's not the carryover from year to year that I associate with a true rivalry. The easy distinction is Lehigh/Laffy is a game both sets of fans circle regardless of whether the teams are good or bad, if either Gate or Lehigh has an off year the zip goes out of that game immediately. So I guess I'm defining "rivalry" a little differently than you guys are... love it when the games are meaningful, but don't feel any particular satisfaction in beating Lehigh or the Cross other than what it means for league title implications.

carney2
November 15th, 2016, 08:18 AM
nope, we would not run up a score like that even if we could, 35-14 maybe

It will be almost impossible not to. In many respects, Lafayette football has returned to the total ineptitude of the Neil Putnam era when embarrassing blowouts by Lehigh were an every year occurrence. P4L's 63 points may not be spot on (no pun intended), but it will be in the neighborhood.

carney2
November 15th, 2016, 08:26 AM

It's Tuesday the 15th and, to the best of my knowledge, Frank is still cashing his pay checks. Another promising rumor shot to hell.

A bigger surprise is that HC's Pine has not yet disposed of Gilmore. That looked like it should have happened during the post-game conversations at Yankee Stadium. Perhaps Pine is waiting for a puff of smoke to leak out of the Hart Center.

carney2
November 15th, 2016, 08:35 AM
FORDHAM @ BUCKNELL - Every year a bunch of folks get on the Buckie bandwagon. It's time for both fans to chip in for matches and burn that thing. Football is an unwanted stepchild in Buffalo.

GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE - Saw oceans of empty seats at last Saturday's game. No need to show up for this one either.

crusader11
November 15th, 2016, 09:40 AM
A bigger surprise is that HC's Pine has not yet disposed of Gilmore. That looked like it should have happened during the post-game conversations at Yankee Stadium. Perhaps Pine is waiting for a puff of smoke to leak out of the Hart Center.

Pine had a cryptic message during the halftime interview of the HC at South Carolina basketball game on Sunday night. Speaking of the football program, he said: "Patience is the key."

Infer from that what you will. We don't know what the terms of TG's contract are, and maybe it's not such a cheap buyout. Maybe Pine will take into consideration that the team played without their starting QB and RB for the majority of the season. He certainly is well within reason to make a change, and I would be surprised if he didn't.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 15th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I just saw that Andy Coen was named a finalist for the Eddie Robinson COY Award. Pete Lembo won it in 2001....

ngineer
November 15th, 2016, 09:01 PM
I certainly think Lehigh and Colgate has emerged as a rivalry in the same way Delaware and Lehigh use to be rivals. There's been a lot on the line between the two (two winningest PL programs) and emotions are usually extremely high. There was a year stretch ('98-'01) when the Lehigh-Colgate games were FAR more intense than Lehigh-Lafayette imo.

I can think back to '97 and basically recall every game between Colgate and Lehigh. No offense to HC, but Lehigh and Colgate have played far more meaningful games in the playoff era then the Crusaders and Raiders have. That's why both fan bases were disappointed that this year's game was held in early October.

I'm not sure who said it, but I felt this was an accurate description of how Lehigh fans look at Colgate, "Lafayette is our rival, but Colgate is our nemesis". Think Auburn-Alabama (LU-LC) and Alabama-LSU (Lehigh-Colgate)....for frame of reference purposes only...lol xdrunkyx

​Pretty good analogy.

ngineer
November 15th, 2016, 09:05 PM
It will be almost impossible not to. In many respects, Lafayette football has returned to the total ineptitude of the Neil Putnam era when embarrassing blowouts by Lehigh were an every year occurrence. P4L's 63 points may not be spot on (no pun intended), but it should be in the neighborhood.

My edit. Yes, based upon the way our offense has played most of the year, something in the 50 point range would be no suprise. However, 'pards have shot themselves alot in the foot this year and if they eliminate a lot of mistakes and can do some ball control to keep our offense on the sideline, they can keep it close and hope for turnovers, etc. It's why the game is played.

Pard4Life
November 15th, 2016, 09:27 PM
My edit. Yes, based upon the way our offense has played most of the year, something in the 50 point range would be no suprise. However, 'pards have shot themselves alot in the foot this year and if they eliminate a lot of mistakes and can do some ball control to keep our offense on the sideline, they can keep it close and hope for turnovers, etc. It's why the game is played.

Stop trying to make this a game. It's not. Lehigh will get 600 yards without even needing to pass the ball.

carney2
November 16th, 2016, 07:53 AM

As usual, a pile of Squawker crap. Every week's game is Armageddon and a "real test." The Pards "shoot themselves in the foot" every time they put on their uniforms. How do you "control the ball" with an offensive line composed of five immobile tubs of goo and a running game that considers a 60 yard game a superior performance. Can you spell "three and out?" That will be the Lafayette offense.

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2016, 08:11 AM
When was the last time the week 12 games drew such yawns from fans of all seven teams?

Lehigh'98
November 16th, 2016, 08:48 AM
"We know what game plan calls for," Lafayette Coach Frank Tavani said on Tuesday. "The game plan calls for an upset, and that's what everybody's talking about. But this is Lafayette-Lehigh, and once the whistle blows, all that other stuff doesn't mean anything.For us, we're playing a playoff team. We're in the playoffs."

hahahahahahaha. Lafayette is in the playoffs!! Still playing UNH from 2013.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2016, 09:08 AM
"We know what game plan calls for," Lafayette Coach Frank Tavani said on Tuesday. "The game plan calls for an upset, and that's what everybody's talking about. But this is Lafayette-Lehigh, and once the whistle blows, all that other stuff doesn't mean anything.For us, we're playing a playoff team. We're in the playoffs."

xconfusedx

crusader11
November 16th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Is Frank senile?

Fordhamanhattan
November 16th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Fordham_Bison game on SNY in New York

carney2
November 16th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Is Frank senile?

All in the Lafayette community wish he was that good.

van
November 16th, 2016, 11:50 AM
As usual, a pile of Squawker crap. Every week's game is Armageddon and a "real test." The Pards "shoot themselves in the foot" every time they put on their uniforms. How do you "control the ball" with an offensive line composed of five immobile tubs of goo and a running game that considers a 60 yard game a superior performance. Can you spell "three and out?" That will be the Lafayette offense.

your running game may be suspect but Reed is a fine passer if he gets some protection

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2016, 02:36 PM
You heard it here first: if Fordham wins this Saturday, they will have an excellent chance to make the field. A much better chance than is being advertised.

crusader11
November 16th, 2016, 02:46 PM
You heard it here first: if Fordham wins this Saturday, they will have an excellent chance to make the field. A much better chance than is being advertised.

Lehigh was left out of the playoffs in 2012 with a 10-1 record, and it's not like Fordham has beaten anyone of note in 2016. 7 wins against D1 teams won't cut it, IMO.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Lehigh was left out of the playoffs in 2012 with a 10-1 record, and it's not like Fordham has beaten anyone of note in 2016. 7 wins against D1 teams won't cut it, IMO.

Let's put it this way: I'm trying to project the field, and I'm having a very hard time picking the final team, and I know I'm not alone. And I already have a 6-5 team in my bracket.

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2016, 03:04 PM

More teams make the playoffs now than in 2012.

Fordham
November 16th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Hope you're right, LFN, but I just don't see it

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Hope you're right, LFN, but I just don't see it

Here's a path:

* Stony Brook beats Albany
* South Dakota State beats UNI
* SIU upsets WIU or Cat upset Griz

If all four of those hit I think Fordham is in. If three out of four hit I believe Fordham is in, but it might be close.

Optional: Northern Colorado upsetting Cal Poly may also help.

Lehigh'98
November 16th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Cal Poly, UNH/Maine, Weber, Samford you all have in?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I'm with LFN on Fordham. I think they have a 50/50 shot to get in. My reasoning is purely the Chase Edmonds effect combined with an ok resume.

I think it comes down to how much stock the committe has in a scholarship PL. The playoff performanes this decade have solid. Colgate hopefully pushed the needle by beating two CAA teams last year.

Lehigh'98
November 16th, 2016, 04:17 PM
I'm with LFN on Fordham. I think they have a 50/50 shot to get in. My reasoning is purely the Chase Edmonds effect combined with an ok resume.

I think it comes down to how much stock the committe has in a scholarship PL. The playoff performanes this decade have solid. Colgate hopefully pushed the needle by beating two CAA teams last year.

Past playoff performance doesn't seem to mean much for the PL. If it did, Lehigh would have been given the benefit of the doubt in 2012 and let in.

Fordham
November 16th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Past playoff performance doesn't seem to mean much for the PL. If it did, Lehigh would have been given the benefit of the doubt in 2012 and let in.
Owl was referencing the PL since we started scholarships, not before. In '12 we were the only ones with scholarships and we only had 2 classes at that point.

I still don't see us making it

Lehigh'98
November 16th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Owl was referencing the PL since we started scholarships, not before. In '12 we were the only ones with scholarships and we only had 2 classes at that point.

I still don't see us making it
Fair enough, but I don't think we are viewed much differently on a national level now vs. then. We still had equivalencies back then. Personally, I think Fordham has benefited the most from scholarships, but that could have been due to Moorehead. The conference as a whole hasn't changed much as far as raising eyebrows with big wins. We had Colgate last year, but Lehigh, Colgate and Fordham all have had past success in the playoffs. I would love to see you guys get in though.

van
November 16th, 2016, 04:58 PM
FORDHAM @ BUCKNELL, suspect that Edmonds will eventually wear down Buffs D and that should give the edge to Rams

LEHIGH @ LAFAYETTE, Pards running game not very stout and that is our weakness on D, should not be close, Pards fans conceding so hard to get any good smack going

GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE, tundra is a tough place to win in late November, Hoyas can't score enough to keep up

LUHawker
November 16th, 2016, 06:50 PM
I think the problem with Fordham's path to the playoffs is that they don't have any "good" wins. Yes, assuming they defeat Bucknell (not a gimme), FU places 2nd in the PL, but then the entire rest of the resume is on defeating Penn. They would only have 7 D-1 wins and the blow-out loss to Lehigh doesn't look good.

Lehigh'98
November 16th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Would Lehigh get considered for an at large if they had lost to Fordham? One bad loss to Monmouth and no real good wins. If you can't answer yes to this, then I think Fordham is one step below that due to Elizabeth City game.

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2016, 08:35 PM
LFN right for a change, Fordham borderline for an invite.

Is this the first time we don't have a Laf Lehigh thread? I seriously don't care at all about the game Saturday. Just going to keep my streak alive.

van
November 16th, 2016, 08:43 PM

Is this the first time we don't have a Laf Lehigh thread? I seriously don't care at all about the game Saturday. Just going to keep my streak alive.

yeah, you guys got your dobbers down so much we can't even have any fun

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2016, 08:44 PM

There's no "Brawl" thread either. Montana State sucks this year too....

I'm not one to hype up opponents for no reason but I don't think this is going to be a complete blowout. 45-27'ish.....Reed will make some plays against the LU defense. Lehigh can't turn the ball over or give up big plays.

ngineer
November 16th, 2016, 09:22 PM

OMG. Resurrect that thread forthwith!

ngineer
November 16th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Let's put it this way: I'm trying to project the field, and I'm having a very hard time picking the final team, and I know I'm not alone. And I already have a 6-5 team in my bracket.

Any 6-5 team that gets in will be from one of the perceived "power conferences" because of "good losses".

ngineer
November 16th, 2016, 09:29 PM

Hey, I tried with my annual "Time for the pussy to bleed" post early one. Couldn't get a rise out of anyone. Also saw that tickets allocated for Lafayette now being offered to Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Hey, I tried with my annual "Time for the pussy to bleed" post early one. Couldn't get a rise out of anyone. Also saw that tickets allocated for Lafayette now being offered to Lehigh.

Will Lehigh fans outnumber the 'Pard faithful. That might have happened in '98 and '00. I remember a couple times down there where it was a near 50/50 split.....

ngineer
November 16th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Will Lehigh fans outnumber the 'Pard faithful. That might have happened in '98 and '00. I remember a couple times down there where it was a near 50/50 split.....

Oh, I think it is almost a certainty Lehigh will have more fans than the 'pards. Usually, the tickets are split 50/50, LC can't sell all of theirs.

ngineer
November 16th, 2016, 09:52 PM
About the only suspense for this game is what uniform combination Lehigh will use. I think they have used 10 different combinations this year. Of course the jerseys will have to be white, but after that it's either gold or white helmet, and white, gold or brown pants.

hawkineer
November 17th, 2016, 05:44 AM
About the only suspense for this game is what uniform combination Lehigh will use. I think they have used 10 different combinations this year. Of course the jerseys will have to be white, but after that it's either gold or white helmet, and white, gold or brown pants.

Since LC has white helmets w/o a stripe, I am guessing gold helmets and pants for LU. Need to make sure Shad sees our receivers clearly. 😜

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2016, 06:57 AM
Oh, I think it is almost a certainty Lehigh will have more fans than the 'pards. Usually, the tickets are split 50/50, LC can't sell all of theirs.

Usually a 50/50 split? Uh no, not even close, and not even remotely accurate. This is the 1st year since about 2000 that tickets are available this late, but the split will be at least 60/40 Lafayette. Yes, Lafayette fans are pretty pathetic this year, but we've had enough.

PAllen
November 17th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Usually a 50/50 split? Uh no, not even close, and not even remotely accurate. This is the 1st year since about 2000 that tickets are available this late, but the split will be at least 60/40 Lafayette. Yes, Lafayette fans are pretty pathetic this year, but we've had enough.

Don't LU fans normally outnumber LC fans by a bit? Nothing against LC fans there, just pure numbers of alumni and students.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2016, 07:55 AM
BUCKNELL
LEHIGH
COLGATE

Leopard Loyalist
November 17th, 2016, 07:58 AM
37-14 heading into the final week.

Colgate bests Georgetown
Fordham edges out Bucknell
Lehigh rolls over Pards

carney2
November 17th, 2016, 09:24 AM
your running game may be suspect but Reed is a fine passer if he gets some protection

He only got that protection against a suspect Georgetown team. Five sacks IN THE 4th QUARTER last week against Colgate. As I (and many) have said over and over again, he is operating without an offensive line. Just a bunch of fat guys who can't move. This is the seventh consecutive year of no OL. Nothing else changes on College Hill until that changes. And that won't change without a coaching change. And a coaching change will be only a Band-Aid without a culture change. And ...

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2016, 09:38 AM
45-27? You are going on the spread and o/u...

The P4L black market betting is: o/u 80.5, Lehigh -34.5

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2016, 10:33 AM
There will be a larger proportion of Lehigh fans there this year over 4 years ago (the last time this game was in Easton). Whether it's 50/50, 60/40, whatever, it seems like there is some percentage of Lafayette fans that aren't bothering. Then again, Lafayette hasn't had a winning record for the last six years.

carney2
November 17th, 2016, 10:56 AM
There will be a larger proportion of Lehigh fans there this year over 4 years ago (the last time this game was in Easton). Whether it's 50/50, 60/40, whatever, it seems like there is some percentage of Lafayette fans that aren't bothering. Then again, Lafayette hasn't had a winning record for the last six years.

7 !

DFW HOYA
November 17th, 2016, 11:46 AM
When was the last time Colgate wore white (or in this case, gray) at home?

https://twitter.com/Uniformswag/status/798962385666965504

WeAreThePride
November 17th, 2016, 01:00 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23908&stc=1

Lehigh'98
November 17th, 2016, 01:10 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23908&stc=1

Weak. Try harder

WeAreThePride
November 17th, 2016, 01:14 PM
That's what we says to your conference.

Lehigh'98
November 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM
That's what we says to your conference.

We are aware

carney2
November 17th, 2016, 01:48 PM
7 !

And no team - men's or women's - has had a winning season in something like 3 or 4 years. It is truly an athletic toilet, D-1 in name only.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2016, 01:58 PM
To get some sort of juice going for the 152 meeting, I'll put my previews up here, this week only:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/11/this-week-rivalry-can-be-first-healing.html

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/11/rivalry152-game-preview-two-different.html

RichH2
November 17th, 2016, 02:20 PM
No smack. No trash talk. A humdrum lead in to the Rivalry. smh

crusader11
November 17th, 2016, 02:35 PM
No smack. No trash talk. A humdrum lead in to the Rivalry. smh

It was a really blah PL season all the way around, don't you think? Even with Lehigh winning the league and likely going undefeated, I'm sure you and others felt like there wasn't as much juice this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2016, 02:42 PM
It was a really blah PL season all the way around, don't you think? Even with Lehigh winning the league and likely going undefeated, I'm sure you and others felt like there wasn't as much juice this year.

Ain't complaining. xlolx

More seriously, I think the Patriot League's OOC had something to do with this. There were some almost-wins over the CAA, but the league went O-fer. The FBS games weren't close. While the top of the league did well against the Ivies, the Ivies overall seemed down from last year. And f-ing Monmouth, of course.

RichH2
November 17th, 2016, 02:44 PM

Didn't consider that but I think you are right. Parity not the word to describe this season. Guess that primary cause.

crusader11
November 17th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Plus, were there really any conference games that were dramatic? Best game of the PL season to date was probably Fordham - Colgate, I guess? But, with Lehigh already having the league wrapped up, the game held little significance, unless you're Fordham who was still playing for an at-large.

Lehigh can salvage things for the league, to an extent, by winning a couple of games in the tournament.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Plus, were there really any conference games that were dramatic? Best game of the PL season to date was probably Fordham - Colgate, I guess? But, with Lehigh already having the league wrapped up, the game held little significance, unless you're Fordham who was still playing for an at-large.

Lehigh can salvage things for the league, to an extent, by winning a couple of games in the tournament.

Lehigh/Colgate was pretty big (I thought, anyway) when it happened, but it was in Week 6. In years past, Colgate was the next to last weekend of the year, which ramped up the tension.

Honestly, as a Lehigh fan, the Colgate, Fordham, and Bucknell games all had an "important" feel to them. But I can't speak for the rest of the fans of the League. It seemed more like to me that all the other teams seemed to sense they had flaws that were ripe to be exploited, especially after critical injuries. Lehigh didn't face off against Colgate's top rusher, or Pete Pujals, or G'Town's top QB. Those injuries I think dampened some enthusiasm.

I will say that at Murray Goodman, there was a pretty good group of Bucknell fans there that made the trip. Better than the Fordham fan contingent.

DFW HOYA
November 17th, 2016, 03:08 PM

Georgetown's season skidded off the road after QB Tim Barnes was injured at Harvard. The Hoyas' seven straight losses are the third most in 135 years of football at Georgetown.

Enthusiasm for 2017 seems in short supply around the league. Georgetown has no momentum, another season of Gilmore and Tavani won't be rallying the local HC and Lafayette faithful, and Bucknell remains in relative obscurity.

Fordham
November 17th, 2016, 03:15 PM
I agree with those who think our lack of a signature win will hold us back. Still, it's good to have even a slight shot and also have a reason to tune in when they announce the brackets.

LeopardBall10
November 17th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Still, it's good to have even a slight shot and also have a reason to tune in when they announce the brackets.

Gosh, I wish I could remember what that was like.

crusader11
November 17th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Lehigh/Colgate was pretty big (I thought, anyway) when it happened

Definitely a big one when it happened, but it wasn't much of a game. Lehigh was up by three scores midway through the 4th.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Definitely a big one when it happened, but it wasn't much of a game. Lehigh was up by three scores midway through the 4th.

Sign me up for similar "boring ball" this Saturday and every week through to Frisco

ngineer
November 17th, 2016, 09:56 PM
When was the last time Colgate wore white (or in this case, gray) at home?

https://twitter.com/Uniformswag/status/798962385666965504

I think NCAA rules require the home team to wear colored jerseys. Not sure when that became effective, but prior that would be the time.

ngineer
November 17th, 2016, 10:06 PM

I agree to some degree and others have stated valid reasons. The early match up with 'gate certainly contributed to that "year end Armagedon feel", and the Fordham game was a surprising blow out. Not that I'm complaining. I am hoping our guys come our firing on Saturday to get on top of the 'pards early. Get the starters out early to stay healthy for playoffs. While there may have been juice missing league-wise, I am getting pumped for this weekend and next week.

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2016, 06:31 AM
I think NCAA rules require the home team to wear colored jerseys. Not sure when that became effective, but prior that would be the time.

I think the rule is that the home team gets to pick what color to wear. Look at someone like LSU, who wears white at home. I think the only rule is that one team has to be wearing white, though some games get a waiver (USC-UCLA is one)

As for when Colgate did this? Wouldn't surprise me if the answer was never, but I would be shocked if they did it during the Biddle years

The Boogie Down
November 18th, 2016, 06:53 AM
I think the rule is that the home team gets to pick what color to wear. Look at someone like LSU, who wears white at home. I think the only rule is that one team has to be wearing white, though some games get a waiver (USC-UCLA is one)

As for when Colgate did this? Wouldn't surprise me if the answer was never, but I would be shocked if they did it during the Biddle years

When hearing on TV about USC-UCLA getting their waiver (about 4/5 years ago), I also remember hearing that w/out it, home teams had to wear dark. Which got me wondering about LSU and, often times, Ga Tech as well. Still don't know what the exact rule is but find it hard to believe they're the only two FBS/FCS teams in the entire country to prefer white at home.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 18th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Is this the day Tavani "retires"?

The tenor on from the HC folks suggests Gilmore will be back. That's not good for anybody....

van
November 18th, 2016, 07:21 AM
from the rule book, item 3 covers USC/UCLA

1. Players of opposing teams shall wear jerseys of contrasting colors.
Players on the same team shall wear jerseys of the same color and
design.
2. The visiting team shall wear white jerseys; however, the home team
may wear white jerseys if the teams have agreed in writing before
the season.
3. If the home team wears colored jerseys, the visiting team may also
wear colored jerseys, if and only if the following conditions have
been satisfied
a. The home team has agreed in writing prior to the game; and
b. The conference of the home team certifies that the jersey of the
visiting team is of a contrasting color.
4. If on the kickoff at the start of each half, the visiting team wears a
colored jersey in violation of the conditions specified in paragraph
3, it is a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.
PENALTY—Administer as a dead-ball foul. 15 yards at the succeeding
spot following the kickoff. If the kickoff is returned for a
touchdown, the penalty is assessed either on the try or on
the succeeding kickoff, at the option of the home team.
[S27]
5. If a colored jersey contains white, it may appear only as any of the
items listed in paragraph a-2 above.

crusader11
November 18th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Tom Gilmore returning as head coach. Just received an email from him and Nate Pine.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Tom Gilmore returning as head coach. Just received an email from him and Nate Pine.

My hot take on this is, it would have been awful to can Gilmore in part at least to Pujals' injury. Assuming he comes back next season, Gilmore deserves a shot to win with him.

Objectively looking at HC's season: Over the last three years, they have been maddeningly inconsistent. They seem to be able to play out of their minds one or two games a year (win over Harvard leaps to mind this year), and then underperform during large swaths of the season otherwise. HC was decimated by Pujals' injury, though, at least in terms of the Lehigh game.

carney2
November 18th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Is this the day Tavani "retires"?

I have my prayer shawl on as I "speak." One rumor says that he has told friends that he is retiring and moving to his house at the beach. May he have many peaceful years with sand in his shorts.

If he does go it presents something of an ironic problem for Lafayette and the faithful. With the program buried in years of consistent losing and the consultants study of athletics not due to be presented until mid-April, how attractive would this job be to "reasonable" applicants?

LeopardBall10
November 18th, 2016, 09:20 AM
If he does go it presents something of an ironic problem for Lafayette and the faithful. With the program buried in years of consistent losing and the consultants study of athletics not due to be presented until mid-April, how attractive would this job be to "reasonable" applicants?

Would probably lead to a hire of someone already in the Lafayette circle. IF it happens. Big IF.

Doc QB
November 18th, 2016, 09:52 AM
My hot take on this is, it would have been awful to can Gilmore in part at least to Pujals' injury. Assuming he comes back next season, Gilmore deserves a shot to win with him. Objectively looking at HC's season: Over the last three years, they have been maddeningly inconsistent. They seem to be able to play out of their minds one or two games a year (win over Harvard leaps to mind this year), and then underperform during large swaths of the season otherwise. HC was decimated by Pujals' injury, though, at least in terms of the Lehigh game.

Crus11 and Sadere87..u think he deserves another chance because of Pujols being out this year? It would seem that line of reasoning demonstrates the admin is not that unhappy with the program's performance the last several years, correct? Losing him at QB certainly affected this year, but Gilmore wasn't lighting it up when he was healthy. And even though high-level dynamic players make a difference in a season or two, hard to ignore overall body of work of the program's leader. Thoughts?

carney2
November 18th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Lafayette President Alison Byerly had an online fireside chat on Monday night. Athletics, and the study of athletics was apparently the final thing she addressed, but the entire presentation was something of an infomercial for a new fund raising campaign. Her comments indicated that the College would be staying in the Patriot League, and therefore Division 1. Hopefully that is the final word, but the dislike and distrust of athletics runs deep among the powers that be.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 18th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Holy Cross has Pujals and what coming back? They were terrible this year. If I was a Holy Cross fan I'd be furios. As a fan of the league I'm extremely disappointed. The lack of commitment in Worcester is alarming.

carney2
November 18th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Would probably lead to a hire of someone already in the Lafayette circle. IF it happens. Big IF.

Are you suggesting "Coach Mickey?" Say it ain't so!

LeopardBall10
November 18th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Are you suggesting "Coach Mickey?" Say it ain't so!

Not sure there. That was the idea a few years back, but they would have a tough time justifying it now. My thoughts were more to the John Troxell/John Loose/Matt Hachman types, guys who have coached at Lafayette previously. But with the results of the committee still outstanding it will be near impossible to get a commitment from a serious outside applicant.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Holy Cross has Pujals and what coming back? They were terrible this year. If I was a Holy Cross fan I'd be furios. As a fan of the league I'm extremely disappointed. The lack of commitment in Worcester is alarming.

"The lack of commitment in [Worcester, Washington, Easton, Lewisburg] is alarming." And unlikely to change.

Go...gate
November 18th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Colgate 24, Georgetown 7

Lehigh 33, Lafayette 10

Fordham 23, Bucknell 14

Bonus Pick:

Princeton 34, Dartmouth 21

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Tavani isn't going anywhere. And if he were, you have to look at his replacement not from a football perspective, but from a 'how well can he manage academics' perspective.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2016, 07:07 PM
"The lack of commitment in [Worcester, Washington, Easton, Lewisburg] is alarming." And unlikely to change.

Hasn't it been that way since 1991, 1953, 1955, and forever?

Go...gate
November 18th, 2016, 07:45 PM
The hell with the excuses about commitment, coaching issues and all that stuff.

Lehigh beat the pants off of the rest of us this year. The Engineers deserve their PL championship and I hope they have a very successful NCAA playoff run.

RichH2
November 18th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Gate
Rams
LEHIGH
Disconcertingly odd thread this year, even for us :). Overall dismally dreary.

Sader87
November 18th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Crus11 and Sadere87..u think he deserves another chance because of Pujols being out this year? It would seem that line of reasoning demonstrates the admin is not that unhappy with the program's performance the last several years, correct? Losing him at QB certainly affected this year, but Gilmore wasn't lighting it up when he was healthy. And even though high-level dynamic players make a difference in a season or two, hard to ignore overall body of work of the program's leader. Thoughts?

No, Gilmore is a horrendous head coach.....recruits don't like him (from what I've heard anecdotally), he's a terrible game-day coach.....it's a nightmare ....somehow, someway he has retained his position and Holy Cross football has only been the worser for it.....very sad.

Go...gate
November 18th, 2016, 09:24 PM
I'm very surprised that Gilmore has received an extension.

ngineer
November 18th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Good news for the Lehigh faithful, Sr. all-league tackle Zach Duffy has been granted his eligibility for a medical red shirt and return next season. He has been a real force on OL, both physically and in leadership.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2016, 10:38 PM
I'm very surprised that Gilmore has received an extension.

Not surprised. If the cost of a buyout exceeds the ability to pay for it, and Gilmore met his departmental responsibilities, it's easier to wait until next year.

ngineer
November 18th, 2016, 10:45 PM
What a nice warm up for tomorrow's Rivalry #152. Great Senior and 50 Game member luncheon today. Some very heartfelt moments by the captains and President Simon giving an impassioned pep talk while donning an Engineers cap with Mountain Hawk gloves. Then off to pick up 12 turkeys for the tomorrow's tailgate, followed by "prepping" then in the efficient assembly line with my garage fueled by sufficient brewskis. We are stoked and ready to go. Class of 1974 "Kings of Tailgates" will be in full swing starting at 9:30 a.m. across from College Hill Tavern in a dentist's parking lot. A great spread with all the trimmings and some "alternative" foods for those not into turkey. Contributions requested (but you won't find a better turkey dinner anywhere) with go to the Roger McFillin Memorial Fund that supports Lehigh Football Partnership. Weather looks perfect. LEHIGH WILL SHINE!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 18th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Fordham 30 Bucknell 17 - The Rams do their part. Now must get some help and wait....
Colgate 37 Georgetown 6 - The Raiders are better than their final record would suggest. I feel like that will be reoccurring theme moving forward....
Lehigh 48 Lafayette 23 - Come out early and take care of business. Don't give Lafayette a single reason to believe. Protect the ball, win, get out of Easton injury free and get ready for next week!!

PAllen
November 18th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Rams in a tight one.

Colgate could sleepwalk through to a win, but they'll be firing.

152 will be ugly. Lehigh comes out over confident, and Lafayette makes a game of it. My superstitious pick is Lafayette holding on for the win late.

RichH2
November 19th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Good news for the Lehigh faithful, Sr. all-league tackle Zach Duffy has been granted his eligibility for a medical red shirt and return next season. He has been a real force on OL, both physically and in leadership.

Yup So we return 4of5 next year.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Perfect day for football! College Hill feels listless. I sense the natives know the impending doom...

RichH2
November 19th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Perfect day for football! College Hill feels listless. I sense the natives know the impending doom...

:) Dont expect Pards to come out listless but do hope they go home that way :)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 10:07 AM
:) Dont expect Pards to come out listless but do hope they go home that way :)

I agree! They'll come out with a ton of emmotion. Tavani will stir the troops for the battle. He might not go the Jackie Sherrill castrating a bull route but he'll get them fired up...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Lehigh-Lafayette about to kickoff!

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I like the fact the Patriot League Network has both a Lehigh feed and a Lafayette feed available.

The Lafayette broadcast is NOT on ESPN3 for once, but it is available in the DC area on MASN (probably the primary way I'll watch the game). The Lehigh broadcast, which in recent years was televised on Fox College Sports Atlantic, is not being televised nationally this year (FCS Atlantic is televising Penn/Cornell, which I'm also watching).

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Shafnisky is throwing off his back foot too much, though it hasn't cost Lehigh yet.

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Fans gathering en masse for the Colgate-Georgetown spectacle:

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/colgate_401.jpg

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Lehigh with a 16 yard touchdown pass; the drive was set up by a bad Lafayette INT that set up the Mountain Hawks in Leopards' territory. Lehigh up 7-0.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Had to make Lafayette pay on the second turnover and they did. They need to tee off on Reed now....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Off-topic comment - it is HARD to follow 3 games at the same time. I'm currently watching:

*Lehigh/Lafayette (MASN)
*Penn/Cornell (Fox College Sports Atlantic)
*IUP/Fairmont State (WV MetroNews stream)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Lehigh 7 Lafayette 0 End 1Q

Lehigh has a 3rd and 6 from the Pard 15 when the 2nd quarter starts....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 12:17 PM
That fumble on Lafayette's first possession when the Leopards were moving the ball is starting to loom large.

Nice pass by Shafnisky - Lehigh with another TD pass. Now 14-0 Mountain Hawks very early in the 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 12:18 PM
TD Lehigh!

14-0 14:53 2Q

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Second series, Colgate blocks a Georgetown punt at its 10 and picks up the quick TD.

Colgate 7-0 9:17 1st.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Lehigh kicks a 32 yard FG

17-0 10:46 2Q

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Nice catch and run TD pass by the Leopards. Lafayette on the scoreboard and now trailing 17-7 in the 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Pards with a 56 yard TD pass

Lehigh 17-7 9:30 2Q

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Georgetown 0
Colgate 7
End 1st

Blocked punt the only score so far, though we came close to blocking a second as well. G'town defense has done well to this point, but the Raiders are downfield to start the second.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Great 4 yard TD run by Shafnisky when he should have lost 2-3 yards. The touchdown was set up by a long Mountain Hawks kickoff return into Leopards territory. It is now 24-7 Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Lehigh answers!

Hawks 24-7 6:36 2Q

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2016, 12:47 PM
G'town defense has done well to this point, but the Raiders are downfield to start the second.

After 16 years of this, something the announcers won't say: this Georgetown thing isn't getting better.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Big stop by the Lehigh defense on a 4th and 1 Lafayette attempt just beyond midfield.

As has been the case for most of the game, Lehigh will start with excellent field position.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 12:56 PM
TD Lehigh! Lafayette looks completely inept....

31-7 1:09 2Q

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Lehigh scores again; the key play being about a 15 yard pass on a 4th and 5. Mountain Hawks now ahead 31-7 with 1:09 left in the 2nd quarter.

Those two early Lafayette turnovers really turned the tide of this game (or if you prefer, set the tone) IMO.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Lafayette is stuffed at the end of the 1st half while trying to go for a touchdown at the 2 yard line with 4 seconds left.

Lehigh ahead 31-7 at halftime.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Not even a phantom PI call could save the Pards! Great stand before half!

31-7 Lehigh at halftime...

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Not even a phantom PI call could save the Pards! Great stand before half!

31-7 Lehigh at halftime...

IMO, that was a legitimate pass interference call. It didn't matter though.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 01:10 PM
IMO, that was a legitimate pass interference call. It didn't matter though.

I'm sitting right in front of where it went down. Looked like both players were hand fighting. I don't think the pass was catchable. Ther ref right there let it go...

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Georgetown 3
Colgate 21
Halftime

Long FG for the Hoyas right before the half got them on the board. Offense grinding out yards and picked up 2 TDs in the 2nd. Really not much else to add with this one. Colgate should be getting the ball to start the 2nd half.

PAllen
November 19th, 2016, 01:27 PM
I'm sitting right in front of where it went down. Looked like both players were hand fighting. I don't think the pass was catchable. Ther ref right there let it go...

It would have been DPI if the pass was catchable. It wasn't. Terrible clock management by Tavani. LC should have had two additional plays there. Tavani has given up. His interview coming out of halftime was a coach talking post game after a butt kicking loss.

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Georgetown 3
Colgate 21
Halftime

Long FG for the Hoyas right before the half got them on the board. Offense grinding out yards and picked up 2 TDs in the 2nd. Really not much else to add with this one. Colgate should be getting the ball to start the 2nd half.

Clay Norris is 11 of 18 for 52 yards. That ought to say something about Georgetown's offensive firepower.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Nice drive to open the 2nd half by Lehigh. The Mountain Hawks are pouring it on, and now lead L-L 152 by a 38-7 count.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM
TD Lehigh on their first possession of the second half!

38-7 11:50 3Q

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I like the aerial drone shots they are showing on the Lafayette broadcast.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Long drive by Lehigh to score another TD. The Mountain Hawks are salting this one away, now ahead 45-7 in the 3rd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 01:50 PM
TD Lehigh!

45-7 4:42 3Q

How can Lafayette allow this to go on? The games from '98-'01 weren't this bad....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 01:54 PM
TD Lehigh!

45-7 4:42 3Q

How can Lafayette allow this to go on? The games from '98-'01 weren't this bad....

I know the guys on the Lafayette Sports Forum have been saying the same thing for a while.

Lehigh/Lafayette isn't even the most lopsided game I'm watching; IUP is destroying Fairmont State 62-13 in the last minute of the game. Fairmont State didn't score until it was 56-0 in the 4th quarter. And that was a Division II playoff game.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Lafayette gets on the board in the 2nd half, but has the extra point blocked. The Leopards still trail 45-13 late in the 3rd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I know the guys on the Lafayette Sports Forum have been saying the same thing for a while.

Lehigh/Lafayette isn't even the most lopsided game I'm watching; IUP is destroying Fairmont State 62-13 in the last minute of the game. Fairmont State didn't score until it was 56-0 in the 4th quarter. And that was a Division II playoff game.

IUP and Cal are really good!

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 02:01 PM
IUP and Cal are really good!

The PSAC West was really good this year, and CalU and IUP were the standouts in that group. They play each other next week.

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2016, 02:02 PM
What, no talk about that Georgetown-Colgate battle? xrolleyesx

Red Raiders 28-3 to open the 3rd. Announcers already in garbage time mode.

(Are PL announcers told not to mention the scholarship elephant in the room?)

Lehigh'98
November 19th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Sorry Hoya, not much to discuss. Haven't had a close L-L in a long time now

PAllen
November 19th, 2016, 02:08 PM
What, no talk about that Georgetown-Colgate battle? xrolleyesx

Red Raiders 28-3 to open the 3rd. Announcers already in garbage time mode.

(Are PL announcers told not to mention the scholarship elephant in the room?)

Scholarships aren't helping Lafayette

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Lehigh loves to let up on defense. This game will end up 45-35 or so....

45-21 11:57 4Q

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Lafayette not giving up, score a touchdown and a 2-point conversion to make it 45-21 Lehigh with about 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

RichH2
November 19th, 2016, 02:15 PM
2s andv3s getting PT on D.

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Georgetown 3
Colgate 31
End 3rd

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Caslow hurt for Lehigh. Not good...

On crutches now...

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Just because I don't remember seeing it mentioned here:

Fordham 36
Bucknell 22
Final

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Tom Kelleher with 12:25 to play: "They're the only school in the league that doesn't offer scholarships....do you think they'll revisit it?"

No.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 02:38 PM
MVP....Shafnisky? Casey? Rippanti?

Lehigh'98
November 19th, 2016, 02:41 PM
MVP....Shafnisky? Casey? Rippanti?

Lehigh's MVP = Frank

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Lehigh's MVP = Frank

Or the LC administration.

Caslow's injury might not be too bad. He's putting weight on his leg but still using crutches...

LUHawker
November 19th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Caslow hurt for Lehigh. Not good...

On crutches now...

Stupid to have him in there at that point. Really bad for the playoffs...

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 02:48 PM
L-L 152 is finally over:

Lehigh 45 Lafayette 21

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Lehigh 45 Lafayette 21 Final

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Stupid to have him in there at that point. Really bad for the playoffs...

Ehh...tough spot with time and limited players due to travel team.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 03:00 PM

Wouldn't the travel team be a little larger for the L-L game because of the proximity of the two schools?

RichH2
November 19th, 2016, 03:02 PM

Owl
No reason for CC to still be on field. 2nd string is there regardless of travel.

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Georgetown 10
Colgate 38
Final

Hoyas finally get into the end zone with 10 seconds to go

As we wrap up the 2016 season, congrats, thank you, and good luck to the Raider seniors for all their hard work and success
#1-Joe Figueroa
#2-Chris Morgan
#13-Eddie Robinson
#15-Jake Melville
#17-Danny Copeland
#21-Adam Bridgeforth
#24-John Wilkins
#29-John Maddaluna
#31-Christian Hardegree
#32-Dan Grasso
#38-Kyle Diener
#46-Jonah Bowman
#47-Charles Cairnie
#55-Victor Steffen
#57-Zach Provin
#62-Alex Campbell
#73-Jordi Dalmau
#74-Grant Siegel
#75-Terence Sino
#77-Ryan Kasten
#93-Brett Field

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Also, since this is the Pick 'Em Thread, I'll add that I went 3-0 to close out the season, 41-14 overall. 16-5 picking League games.

Thanks to carney for putting these up each week :)

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Harvard 31, Georgetown 17
Princeton 31, Georgetown 17
Lehigh 35, Georgetown 3
Fordham 17, Georgetown 14
Lafayette 17, Georgetown 3
Holy Cross 21, Georgetown 20
Bucknell 21, Georgetown 7
Colgate 38, Georgetown 10

Eight game losing streak.

van
November 19th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Lehigh 35, Georgetown 3
Fordham 17, Georgetown 14
Lafayette 17, Georgetown 3
Holy Cross 21, Georgetown 20
Bucknell 21, Georgetown 7
Colgate 38, Georgetown 10

Eight game losing streak.

yeah, Georgetown sucks, get over it already

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2016, 03:13 PM
When you've spent the last 16 years of Saturdays sitting through this mess, you don't quite get over it.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 03:28 PM
When you've spent the last 16 years of Saturdays sitting through this mess, you don't get over it.

Georgetown had a pretty good team in 2011, and might have made the playoffs that year had the field been 24 teams.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 06:13 PM
The door has opened for Lehigh to get a seed and for Fordham to sneak in. I think Fordham getting in is more likely but they both COULD happen. There's always a surprise or two so you never know. 11 A.M. seems like a long ways away....

Go...gate
November 19th, 2016, 07:14 PM
When you've spent the last 16 years of Saturdays sitting through this mess, you don't quite get over it.

I like GU a great deal (and have family members as GU Alumni as well) and I want the Hoyas to remain and succeed in our conference, but I also feel compelled to say this.

GU knows what it needs to do to be competitive in the conference.

It needs to finish the MSF and it needs to break some eggs regarding financial aid for football players.

It fails or refuses to do either.

Until those items change, GU will struggle in the conference.

I do not have a great deal of optimism that there will be any change.

van
November 19th, 2016, 07:44 PM
The door has opened for Lehigh to get a seed and for Fordham to sneak in. I think Fordham getting in is more likely but they both COULD happen. There's always a surprise or two so you never know. 11 A.M. seems like a long ways away....

door may be ajar, but the loss to Monmouth probably keeps it from opening

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 07:50 PM

They SDSU win probably seals the deal for the 'Jacks. Even so, Lehigh has 3 legitimately good wins, Fordham, Penn and Princeton. The million dollar question is how much the committee respects the PL. I bet it's more than AGS.....xthumbsupx

ngineer
November 19th, 2016, 07:55 PM
I talked with CC after the game. He doesn't think the knee is very bad. Prelim diagnosis is sprain, but MRI tomorrow. When Laughyette scored those two TD's with 9 min. to go I think Coen deemed it necessary to stop the bleeding. Getting three scores in 9 min. is not unheard of so he put the #1 D out there. CC seemed very confident of being okay for next week. Other concern was Dom, who left game in third Q. However, was seemed to be 'heat related'/cramps/fatigue. I was concerned that he may have gotten a ding which can have longer effect than one week.

I think we took the foot off the gas a little too early in this one. But good to get the 2s and 3s more experience as well as the Rivalry experience. Mish was very good again. Still has not missed an XP this year and had a 50+yard ave. punting with one inside the 15. Very impressed with Lambert at ROV. Our best hitter/tackler on the team. Just way too many weapons for Leotards to cover. Like earlier games, we could have hung another 14 on them. Poor LC turnout. Game not even sold out.

Other highlight of the game: At halftime the LC "pep band" took the field as Lehigh's band stood at parade rest on the far sideline awaiting their turn. LC's band plodded through a continuim of unrecognizable 'songs', which went on interminably for almost 10 min and showing no sign of ending. LU fans started booing and chanting for the Marching '97 to take the field, and with only 6 min left in halftime, the Drum Major lead the '97 onto the field right toward the lowly 'pep' band. The "charge" drove the pussy willows off the field and the '97 proceeded with a quickened version of their program, which was sharply performed. Teams were coming out onto the field, and the '97 transformed into their famed "Marching LEHIGH" while playing "Down the Field". They finished to rousing ovation for having driven the Leotards out of their own house. Still, they had been deprived the opportunity to play the Alma Mater, so with the clock winding down at the end of the game, the '97 reformed on the sideline and immediately after the final horn, formed a semicircle and played the Alma Mater, drowning out the LC's "pep" band. I made it a point afterward to search out the Drum Major and congratulated him on having the balls to lead the charge across the field. He said it was quite obvious what LC was trying to do as it had been agreed each school was to get about 7-8 min of performance time.

Our tailgate at Monroe and Cattell Streets was a smashing success with 12 turkeys consumed by about 200. A glorious time was had by all....xnodxxthumbsupxxdrunkyx:D

ngineer
November 19th, 2016, 07:57 PM

It's the only time when a door is not a door.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2016, 07:58 PM

I have it as 9-2 Lehigh 8-3 Villanova and 9-2 North Dakota for the final seed. Probably Villanova gets it is my feeling.

Lehigh'98
November 19th, 2016, 08:10 PM
ND are big Sky champs. I think they get it

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 08:22 PM
So LehighOwl, what do you think of this schedule for next week:

*Lehigh home playoff game, 12:30 PM
*Villanova home playoff game, 4:30 PM
*East Carolina at Temple, 8 PM

I realize the above almost definitely won't happen. But what would you do if it did?

(I personally don't see Lehigh, or for that matter Villanova, getting byes. However, I DO think both Lehigh and Villanova will host first round playoff games.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ngineer
November 19th, 2016, 08:28 PM

I realize the above almost definitely won't happen. But what would you do if it did?

(I personally don't see Lehigh, or for that matter Villanova, getting byes. However, I DO think both Lehigh and Villanova will host first round playoff games.)

Should be able to make them all. (;-) 'nova only an hour's drive from Lehigh.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Should be able to make them all. (;-) 'nova only an hour's drive from Lehigh.

That's why I posed the question!

Number of those games I'll be attending: 0. 😞

I'll be visiting my brother at Mississippi State at Thanksgiving, ironically in part because Lehigh basketball is playing there on Black Friday.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 08:38 PM

The Lehigh/Temple double-header would be very enticing!! We'll know tomorrow the logistics!

ColgateTD
November 19th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Congrats to the 'Gate seniors for finishing up strong and getting to 5-5. Thanks for the memories guys...

Thanks to Carney for putting up with this foolery for another year. My final result: 40-15

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Also, since this is the Pick 'Em Thread, I'll add that I went 3-0 to close out the season, 41-14 overall. 16-5 picking League games.

Thanks to carney for putting these up each week :)

I think you're my stiffest competition. 6-0 the last two weeks to finish 43-12 on the year....xnodx

ngineer
November 19th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Man, did we luck out today. Beautiful clear sunny skies and temps approaching 70. It is now 10 p.m. in the East, and the temp is now around 40, wind at 20-25 mph, along sleet and light snow expected later tonight!xdizzyx

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I watched a number of games today where there was dramatically different weather conditions as the game went on. It also went from nice to ominous outside where I live at maybe 2:30 to 3:00 PM.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 09:35 PM
I watched a number of games today where there was dramatically different weather conditions as the game went on. It also went from nice to ominous outside where I live at maybe 2:30 to 3:00 PM.

I hit the front of fury on Interstate 380 in the Poconos on my way home from the game. Just a wall of black clouds with a ton of wind. We have about 2 inches of snow on the ground right now.

LeopardBall10
November 19th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Anyone who hasn't read Frank's post game comments are truly missing out on some insane staff. This guy is either losing it or is a complete narcissist.

It is looking like Frank will be the head coach of Lafayette for at least one more year. He is telling players that he is under contract through next season, and is a tenured faculty member. He actually told a player he was going to get his money no matter what...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 09:50 PM
Anyone who hasn't read Frank's post game comments are truly missing out on some insane staff. This guy is either losing it or is a complete narcissist.

It is looking like Frank will be the head coach of Lafayette for at least one more year. He is telling players that he is under contract through next season, and is a tenured faculty member. He actually told a player he was going to get his money no matter what...

It's a shame what's going on at Holy Cross and Lafayette. It obviously hurt those two programs by keeping Tavani and Gilmore around but it's also holding the league back. There is zero reason a coach that has 7 straight losing seasons, the final two being complete train wrecks, should be able to keep his job. I'm not sure there's a high school football coach in PA that would survive that....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2016, 10:26 PM
I hit the front of fury on Interstate 380 in the Poconos on my way home from the game. Just a wall of black clouds with a ton of wind. We have about 2 inches of snow on the ground right now.

It is possible there will be snow on the ground at Fisher Stadium by Sunday morning.

Gate83
November 19th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Tom Kelleher with 12:25 to play: "They're the only school in the league that doesn't offer scholarships....do you think they'll revisit it?"

No.

Love closing the year out with you guys, it's very relaxing. Also let us play our senior QB Danny Copeland the last series, players were pumped for him to get in. Good luck to the Engineers in the playoffs!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2016, 11:46 PM
I have literally seen 4 different brackets where Lehigh is projected to play 4 different opponents (Albany, UNH, SFPA, Youngstown) and can think of one other opponent (Richmond) that might also be in play. I have seen Fordham in about half the brackets. I am picking Lehigh to host SFPA and the winner to face JMU, but I am not at all comfortable with that projection.

Additionally, if they were to jettison the "no 1st round rematches" rule, Nova (and less likely Fordham) could also be slim possibilities.

Could Lehigh be the 8 seed? It's a very slim shot, but ALSO a possibility.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 11:54 PM
I have literally seen 4 different brackets where Lehigh is projected to play 4 different opponents (Albany, UNH, SFPA, Youngstown) and can think of one other opponent (Richmond) that might also be in play. I have seen Fordham in about half the brackets. I am picking Lehigh to host SFPA and the winner to face JMU, but I am not at all comfortable with that projection.

Additionally, if they were to jettison the "no 1st round rematches" rule, Nova (and less likely Fordham) could also be slim possibilities.

Could Lehigh be the 8 seed? It's a very slim shot, but ALSO a possibility.

It will be very interesting. Had UNI beat SDSU I think Lehigh gets seeded. How much stock will the committee put in rather easy wins over 8-2 Princeton and 7-3 Penn (IL co-champs) and a dominating W over Fordham? As it is, both SDSU and UND are conference champs too so it's hard to argue with them. I just want a home game and a possible second opponent that's within driving distance. I'm prepared to travel next week but I sure as hell don't want to.....

Fordham still has a shot. If they had performed better in the playoffs I'd like them more but they're definitely up for discussion.

Go...gate
November 20th, 2016, 12:02 AM

Go Lehigh TU owl, hope you are home safe and sound. Not good here in Central NJ.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 20th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Go Lehigh TU owl, hope you are home safe and sound. Not good here in Central NJ.

Safe and secure! I guess the golf season has officially ended at Seven Oaks. xbawlingx

CHIP72
November 20th, 2016, 12:55 AM
Hey Lehigh TU Owl, assuming Lehigh gets a first round home game (and LU doesn't install lights at Goodman Stadium within the next week), that doubleheader discussed up thread would be in play - the Saturday 11/26 ECU/Temple game will start at 7:30 PM.

Meanwhile, if the sports gods really want to torture me, they'll give both Lehigh and Villanova first round home playoff games and have the Lehigh game start at 12 PM and the Villanova game start at 4 PM.