PDA

View Full Version : UND Negotiating move to MVFC and Summit

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Schism55
November 5th, 2016, 07:24 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4153166-report-und-negotiating-conference-move-missouri-valley-summit-league

UNHWildcat18
November 5th, 2016, 07:27 PM
smart move

FargoBison
November 5th, 2016, 07:29 PM
It makes sense for everyone involved....UND is stuck on an island in the Big Sky.

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Shocked......shocked I tell you..... xlolx

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 07:32 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4153166-report-und-negotiating-conference-move-missouri-valley-summit-league

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

After what they did to NDSU during the move up and spurning them when they went to the Big Sky in the 11th hour, that is how I feel.

That means 2 teams need to leave or 1 needs to join to make it a 12 team conference and 2 divisions of 6

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Divisions.....dont......****ing......matter! There is no conference championship game....

centennial
November 5th, 2016, 07:35 PM
I hope NDSU blocks it. Maybe we can get YSU or Missouri State to help not make this happen.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Divisions.....dont......****ing......matter! There is no conference championship game....

I get that, but the east teams will then want 2 games with the "west" pulled so they can travel even less making it that much more of a bitch to have to play SDSU, UND, USD, UNI, MSU, and WIU every year. There is no reason to believe that including NDSU 4 of these teams will always be either top 4 or 5. Take into account 3 OOC games that only leaves 2 games a year against YSU, SIU, ISUr, ISUb which would be a huge difference since I believe UND is here to stay with being a top 25 team year in and year out with Bubba at the helm.

All in all strengthening the SOS, which the committee told us does not matter when putting a top 10 together, and hindering the likes of UNI, SDSU, and NDSU from getting that #1 and #2 seed.

IBleedYellow
November 5th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Alright Valley.

Block them please.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 5th, 2016, 07:40 PM
This would be awesome for FCS! I hope it happens! Grand Forks is a long ways away from their the closest Big Sky opponent (Bozman is the closest place, I did the drive straight through once).

UND-NDSU last game of the year every year!! Build a 35k seat stadium in Grandin!

BisonFan02
Alright Valley.

Block them please.

..........why? Seriously...other than some petty BS, they are a good add for the Summit. I wish it was at the expensive of another fringe MVFC member leaving, but I won't complain.

FargoBison
Block them??? If their AD is having discussions with Patty V and Douple than they are as good as in.

Twentysix
I hope NDSU blocks it. Maybe we can get YSU or Missouri State to help not make this happen.

I sincerely think that NDSU will be a top advocate for UND, and rightfully so.

IBleedYellow
November 5th, 2016, 07:42 PM
No.

Leave them to die as an island away from their conference teams.

IBleedYellow
November 5th, 2016, 07:43 PM
No.

Leave them to die as an island away from their conference teams.

I have no desire to see them in the same conference as NDSU. The politics is already terrible, and it will just get worse with them in the same.

Also, ADs aren't the ones that make these decisions. Presidents do, albeit with their ADs advice, I am sure.

mmiller_34
November 5th, 2016, 07:47 PM
I think I'm fine with this move.

Bison56
November 5th, 2016, 07:49 PM
This would be awesome for FCS! I hope it happens! Grand Forks is a long ways away from their the closest Big Sky opponent (Bozman is the closest place, I did the drive straight through once).

UND-NDSU last game of the year every year!! Build a 35k seat stadium in Grandin!

That's UNDs problem.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 5th, 2016, 07:50 PM
I have no desire to see them in the same conference as NDSU. The politics is already terrible, and it will just get worse with them in the same.

Also, ADs aren't the ones that make these decisions. Presidents do, albeit with their ADs advice, I am sure.

You're crazy! In-state rivalries are what make college sports great! This should be like Brawl! Fargo an GF are separated by 60 miles! The bragging rights at the end of the year would be worth it!

clenz
November 5th, 2016, 07:51 PM
They can take UNIs spot.

**** this. We want out

mmiller_34
November 5th, 2016, 07:53 PM
They can take UNIs spot.

**** this. We want out

Where the **** do you think UNI will go?

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2016, 07:54 PM

The PFL with Drake

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 07:55 PM
The Big Ten!

dewey
They can take UNIs spot.

**** this. We want out

Going to join the Patriot or Pioneer and schedule some cupcake OOC to get a top 2 seedxthumbsupx

Dewey

TheKingpin28

OVC so they can win the conference or finish with 1-2 losses each season?

mmiller_34
The PFL with Drake

LOL xlolx

BisonTru
November 5th, 2016, 07:57 PM

With this committee I would hope NDSU will follow UNI to the OVC. **** competition, it isn't rewarded.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 07:59 PM
..........why? Seriously...other than some petty BS, they are a good add for the Summit. I wish it was at the expensive of another fringe MVFC member leaving, but I won't complain.

I laid out why I think this could be a great thing for the SOS, but unless YSU, MSU, or one other team leaves, or a team like EIU joins to get to 12, I do not see YSU, ISUb, ISUr, and SIU, and possibly NDSU backing this. Then again, if word got out that NDSU blocked this, the state legislature would continue to under fund us even more and continue to fund UND at a higher rate. If the votes could be sealed and then never shown to the media or public, then I think NDSU would heavily consider giving them a taste of their own medicine and voting no.

Also, does it take 2/3 or 3/4 to vote yes to approve for the MVFC?

superman7515
November 5th, 2016, 08:01 PM
In-state rivalries are what make college sports great!

Yeah, they're amazing...

Schism55
November 5th, 2016, 08:02 PM
It already sucks missing one team a year. Adding UND doubly compounds that problem. Unless the MVFC sheds a team as well in this move, rather UND politely **** off.
Obv lots of gross political baggage from the past and definitely some good things that would come of it too. I'll abstain from talking about the Summit implications as I do not follow that closely.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 5th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Yeah, they're amazing...

John Taylor was a helluva player....

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 08:06 PM
This is an absolutely moronic move for the MVFC. At least for UNI and the Dakota schools. It will be wonderful for the Eastern schools who will be able to rotate off of two of these teams now instead of one. That seems like a legit way to set the autobid. It would be like last year where ISUr got to tie for the conference championship without playing NDSU. Now take that situation where they finish above a ndsu, used, SDSU, UNI, or UND by one game, except they got to miss SDSU and ndsu that year. How ****ed would that be? But no everyone is all for making 300 team conferences. ****ing stupid. Take them in the summit but not the MVFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pud
November 5th, 2016, 08:09 PM
I am sure the Southland Conference would love to have UNI join their league.

centennial
November 5th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Anything but UND failing is unacceptable. If we need to block them with underhanded tactics so be it. And don't put it on email or text. Morons.

BisonTru
November 5th, 2016, 08:12 PM
I'm fine with the move. I wouldn't mind adding Eastern Illinois as well. East West divisions.

West
North Dakota St
South Dakota ST
Northern Iowa
South Dakota
North Dakota
Missouri St

East
Illinois St
Eastern Ill
Western Ill
Southern Ill
Indianan St
Youngstown St

Play 5 games against your subdivision. The remaining three against the opposite subdivision opponents alternating every other year.

*Albeit UNI would be skipping a lot of traditional rivalry games tho, and as of late the toughest competition would lay in the west.

MontanaVandal
November 5th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Send them on their way. If UND leaves maybe Idaho can try and get New Mexico State to drop to FCS as they have less of a chance at competing in FBS as the Vandals.

IBleedYellow
November 5th, 2016, 08:19 PM
I'm fine with the move. I wouldn't mind adding Eastern Illinois as well. East West divisions.

West
North Dakota St
South Dakota ST
Northern Iowa
South Dakota
North Dakota
Missouri St

East
Illinois St
Eastern Ill
Western Ill
Southern Ill
Indianan St
Youngstown St

Play 5 games against your subdivision. The remaining three against the opposite subdivision opponents alternating every other year.

*Albeit UNI would be skipping a lot of traditional rivalry games tho, and as of late the toughest competition would lay in the west.
So you want someone from the East to win every year?

That's how you do it.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 08:20 PM

West
North Dakota St
South Dakota ST
Northern Iowa
South Dakota
North Dakota
Missouri St

East
Illinois St
Eastern Ill
Western Ill
Southern Ill
Indianan St
Youngstown St

Eastern Illinois wouldn't even strengthen the East. JFC.

clenz
November 5th, 2016, 08:22 PM

West
North Dakota St
South Dakota ST
Northern Iowa
South Dakota
North Dakota
Missouri St

East
Illinois St
Eastern Ill
Western Ill
Southern Ill
Indianan St
Youngstown St

**** that with every ounce of being.

IDGAF where UNI goes. Go Indy for all I give a ****.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Just do what the Big 10 did and have no divisions with 11 teams. Divisions are dumb, the eastern teams will need to suck it up and make an extra flight every now and then.

BisonTru
November 5th, 2016, 08:25 PM

That's how you do it.

Does it matter? The Auto from the Valley means nothing. Multiple teams are getting in the playoffs, and I'm more interested in National Championships than Conference banners.

With this committee, I can understand the fear of creating too tough of a conference or sub-conference. However, maybe way over optimistic, I'm hopeful that future committees will be better.

- - - Updated - - -

That's how you do it.

Does it matter? The Auto from the Valley means nothing. Multiple teams are getting in the playoffs, and I'm more interested in National Championships than Conference banners.

With this committee, I can understand the fear of creating too tough of a conference or sub-conference. However, maybe way over optimistic, I'm hopeful that future committees will be better.

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 08:26 PM
**** that with every ounce of being.

IDGAF where UNI goes. Go Indy for all I give a ****.

LOL. Grow up.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 08:28 PM
LOL. Grow up.
Because we don't want to add UND to our conference? What does that have to do with growing up?

UNI doesn't need this move. We think it ****ing sucks. The end.

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 08:28 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Well yeah but one extra loss from being in the far tougher side kills a seed chance.

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Because we don't want to add UND to our conference? What does that have to do with growing up?

UNI doesn't need this move. We think it ****ing sucks. The end.

Cool. Go Indy then.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Not sure why UNI fans are so worked up, it isn't like they are joining your basketball conference.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Not sure why UNI fans are so worked up, it isn't like they are joining your basketball conference.
No, we just miss the dumpster fire teams on the eastern part of the conference map.

BisonTru
November 5th, 2016, 08:35 PM
BTW, I fully respect the UNI guys hating on my East West division thought. Nothing about it seems good for UNI, but at the end of the day if the east schools like it and the west schools like it, UNI is kind of stuck with it. Going Indy isn't a realistic option.

superman7515
November 5th, 2016, 08:36 PM
So do we finally get Youngstown State? You guys have been offering them for five years.

UNDBIZ
November 5th, 2016, 08:36 PM
If I was UNI, I wouldn't want another team that will be better than us joining the conference either.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 08:37 PM
If I was UNI, I wouldn't want another team that will be better than us joining the conference either.

xlolx

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 08:38 PM

LOL...easy panther nation. He is kidding.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 08:46 PM

xlmaox

How is that weight room working out for a schedule that rivals SHSUs

Remind me again how many playoff wins you have?

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 08:48 PM
xlmaox

How is that weight room working out for a schedule that rivals SHSUs

Remind me again how many playoff wins you have?

Ick.

centennial
November 5th, 2016, 08:50 PM

That's some weak smack. UNI would eat UND for lunch. There a difference between rankings and reality. And the Summit is a much stronger league than the Big Sky for men's bb. UND would pull us down.

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2016, 08:53 PM
What part of the fact that you cannot play a conference championship game and the FCS playoffs do some of you guys not understand? xlolx There are ZERO reason the have divisions....unless you plan on having a "VALLEY BOWL" at some stupid neutral site....like Target Field. xthumbsupx

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 08:54 PM

Get the net.

superman7515
November 5th, 2016, 08:55 PM
What part of the fact that you cannot play a conference championship game and the FCS playoffs do some of you guys not understand?

The fact that it is entirely, completely, and unequivocally false.

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2016, 08:57 PM
The fact that it is entirely, completely, and unequivocally false.

When do you plan on doing it and how do you stay within the # of games to play? Everyone agrees to schedule 1 game short at end of season? Play 10 and the 11th (or 12th) is some sort of conference championahip?

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 08:57 PM
What part of the fact that you cannot play a conference championship game and the FCS playoffs do some of you guys not understand? xlolx There are ZERO reason the have divisions....unless you plan on having a "VALLEY BOWL" at some stupid neutral site....like Target Field. xthumbsupx

But but but Jay Walker says the Celebration Bowl is the national championship and we all know the Valley are the overlords so it must be true. (Sarcasm for the Walker reference.)

If no divisions, (I still do not want UND in) but if they get in, then 2 teams need to drop or at least 1 to keep the horrible rotation we have going.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2016, 09:00 PM
You could have a conference title game, it would be pointless but you could do it.

MontanaVandal
November 5th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Holy ****. Who pissed in UNI's cereal this morning?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2016, 09:07 PM
I'm all for a Summit move. Wonder if UND would bring back baseball?

Still not sold on the Valley move. Geography makes sense but 11 teams is not good.

superman7515
November 5th, 2016, 09:08 PM
When do you plan on doing it and how do you stay within the # of games to play? Everyone agrees to schedule 1 game short at end of season? Play 10 and the 11th (or 12th) is some sort of conference championahip?

No need, conference championship games are expressly permitted by the NCAA.

"A conference championship game on an open date during the traditional fall season, provided the game isplayed (as opposed to scheduled) the week prior to the first round of an NCAA football championship dateand provided the game is listed on the schedules of all conference members;"

Now that teams are playing games in Week 0, hence why some teams have two games played by the end of Week 1, the MVFC would simply require all teams to begin the season with a game in Week 0 (it may have to be a conference game simply to insure that all teams get a game in). All teams would still play 11-12 games, still have a bye week, and the conference championship game would be played the weekend before the playoffs started.

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 09:08 PM

You know why we would have divisions? Because the eastern schools would demand it. Adding USeD was allowed because the east schools got to drop a trip west every year. Do you think adding another team out west will be ok with them, especially with the Illinois schools financial issues, unless it doesn't add an extra trip? We already have a pseudo division set up because of it. Each team would be missing two teams per year, so you think there is any chance that it won't be used to drop another east west game with the eastern teams mentality about travel? In fact, I would bet my ass UND is trying to sl the eastern schools that it would save them travel by being able to drop two western schools from their schedule per year. It will happen. The irony of this is most if not all Valley fans hate the weakness of SHSUs schedule but are for adding UND which will create that situation on a smaller scale in our own conference.

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2016, 09:12 PM
You know why we would have divisions? Because the eastern schools would demand it. Adding USeD was allowed because the east schools got to drop a trip west every year. Do you think adding another team out west will be ok with them, especially with the Illinois schools financial issues, unless it doesn't add an extra trip? We already have a pseudo division set up because of it. Each team would be missing two teams per year, so you think there is any chance that it won't be used to drop another east west game with the eastern teams mentality about travel? In fact, I would bet my ass UND is trying to sl the eastern schools that it would save them travel by being able to drop two western schools from their schedule per year. It will happen. The irony of this is most if not all Valley fans hate the weakness of SHSUs schedule but are for adding UND which will create that situation on a smaller scale in our own conference.

Add UND....send YSU to the CAA and either ISUB drops to the Pioneer....MSU takes their ball and goes to the OVC or makes a brain dead FBS move.....etc. the end result could still be a true round robin.....I dunno.

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Add UND....send YSU to the CAA and either ISUB drops to the Pioneer....MSU takes their ball and goes to the OVC or makes a brain dead FBS move.....etc. the end result could still be a true round robin.....I dunno.
Would be all for it but the odds of that happening.....
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161106/add46c9694adccddd6b4141daad38a3d.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Personally I think this will work out great after NDSU' s move to the Sun Belt

SUPharmacist
November 5th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Don't like this one bit. The MVFC is just fine as is, and doesn't need another team. As for the Summit what does UND do to bring real stability?

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Holy ****. Who pissed in UNI's cereal this morning?

Was it:
A: The person who made SHSU's schedule?
B: The person who approved Idaho moving to FBS
C: Aliens

No_Skill
November 5th, 2016, 09:29 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/77775-I-just-threw-up-in-my-mouth-a-y6Da.gif

RootinFerDukes
November 5th, 2016, 09:30 PM
I'd like to see und in the Mvfc. It just makes way to much sense.
Only realignment that makes too much sense fails to happen at the fbs level.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Personally I think this will work out great after NDSU' s move to the Sun Belt

Nice try......xrolleyesx

dakotadan
November 5th, 2016, 09:32 PM
As a UND fan I hope that this falls through. I would much rather stay in the Big Sky.

No_Skill
November 5th, 2016, 09:34 PM
As a UND fan I hope that this falls through. I would much rather stay in the Big Sky.

Call your president and AD please.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2016, 09:35 PM

It wont.

If Faison is actively talking with both commissioners, it is probably a done deal.

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Don't like this one bit. The MVFC is just fine as is, and doesn't need another team. As for the Summit what does UND do to bring real stability?

10 teams and full travel partner scheduling. The Summit ADs are begging for UND to join.

Bisonoline
November 5th, 2016, 09:42 PM
10 teams and full travel partner scheduling. The Summit ADs are begging for UND to join.

xlmaoxxlmaoxxthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2016, 09:43 PM

UND should bring back baseball and get rid of tennis and swimming. Summit needs another baseball school.

Drblankstare
November 5th, 2016, 09:48 PM
UND should bring back baseball and get rid of tennis and swimming. Summit needs another baseball school.

100% agree with this

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 09:49 PM
xlmaoxxlmaoxxthumbsupx
[/B]

You need to listen to more interviews.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 09:49 PM

You do not offer baseball so why would the Summit want you? I think basketball is a joke but you only bring the RPI down for the rest of the conference and do not promote it in a way that is beneficial to the Summit.

CappinHard
November 5th, 2016, 09:54 PM
I wish it was at the expensive of another fringe MVFC member leaving, but I won't complain.
MoSt, ISUb... We're looking at you...

SUPharmacist
November 5th, 2016, 09:55 PM

My understanding was this was the need, a baseball team to help preserve the autobids.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2016, 10:01 PM
My understanding was this was the need, a baseball team to help preserve the autobids.

Summit is at the minimum of 6 teams for an autobid for baseball. My guess, is that might be part of the deal to enter the Summit, reinstate baseball. UND has dead weight teams that can be cut.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Wasn't UND on the brink of dropping sports due to cost, yet now people are saying they need to add baseball to join the Summit? That makes zero sense.

abc123
November 5th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Guessing on the MVFC side this partly has to do with some concern on one or two teams who are either having financial issues or are a threat to leave the conference. Or maybe just a coincidence. Who knows what Patty's motives are.

abc123
November 5th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Summit is at the minimum of 6 teams for an autobid for baseball. My guess, is that might be part of the deal to enter the Summit, reinstate baseball. UND has dead weight teams that can be cut.
UND applied to be an associate member for baseball a few years ago and Douple never bothered responding. UND ended up in the WAC and then baseball got cut. It isn't coming back.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 10:06 PM
MoSt, ISUb... We're looking at you...

But the committee made it clear SOS means nothing to them and we need bottom feeders to pad the stats

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Wasn't UND on the brink of dropping sports due to cost, yet now people are saying they need to add baseball to join the Summit? That makes zero sense.

Do you know the whole story bud?

Baseball was just dropped by UND. Their president wanted to drop some more but that was ruled out. Entering the Summit/Valley will start that debate again. The Summit needs another baseball team. Pretty easy to reinstate the sport when it was just dropped in the spring. UND has non revenue sports they can drop: tennis and swimming/diving.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 10:08 PM

IE women's hockey? 2.1 million loss per year. Cut it and allocate the funds and scholarships to track and field, cross country, volleyball, and softball. Then reinstate baseball and then all is well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
UND applied to be an associate member for baseball a few years ago and Douple never bothered responding. UND ended up in the WAC and then baseball got cut. It isn't coming back.

But the landscape has changed now. If UND enters the Summit, IMO, baseball is back. But maybe not.

F'N Hawks
Doesnt the Summit have Tennis and S&D?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2016, 10:09 PM
IE women's hockey? 2.1 million loss per year. Cut it and allocate the funds and scholarships to track and field, cross country, volleyball, and softball. Then reinstate baseball and then all is well.

Could be. Would the hockey nuts up there like that?

clenz
November 5th, 2016, 10:10 PM
You want to know why UNI fans don't want this?

1. We don't have a president right now and an AD that's 7 months on the job. Not a great time to vote for **** like this.

2. No matter what happens UNI is ****ed.

2.1. The vote goes through and unofficial divisions happen. Because UNI is the geographic center of the conference and isn't cheap as **** and insists on bus rides to 99% of games UNI gets sent west to be in a side that would be made up of UNI, SDSU, NDSU, MSU, USD and UND. Checked the standings lately? That's 4 of the top 6 right now. It's also the only 3 teams with any sort of national pedigree. Spin Illinois State any way you want. They have like 5 playoff appearances all time.

2.2. The vote goes through and the unofficial split happens and UNI is now cut off from its MVC brethren. UNIs biggest rival has always been SIU. Doesn't matter how good or bad either team is SIU is the rival. Played them every single year since 1983. Indiana State 31 times since 1983. Illinois State 34 times since 1985. WIU every year since 1978 and 6 more times between 1967 and 1974. We've already been forced to rotate Indiana State and Illinois State off our schedules because of this dumb set up we currently have. I've had enough of it. I hate it. To make it worse they are rotated off to play USD. Sure we have history with USD in the 60s and 70s but 99% of UNI fans dgaf. There's nothing that makes those games special. Same to be said to some extent with SDSU and NDSU. Sure they are heated because they are tight and physical games but that's it. There's something special about a bond/rivalry that's created by playing every year for 3 decades or playing in every single sport every single year. To drop those rivalries for USD and UND is damn tough to swallow. Real damn tough.

3. If it doesn't happen and UNI votes against it we are the bad guys because we are in the middle and it's"doesn't affect us like others".

4. If it doesn't happen and we voted for it we look like we are turning our backs on what the rest of our conferences, and long standing mates/rivals want.

There's no winning in this for UNI. It's adding another school that doesn't do anything to move the meter of the UNI fan base while driving us further from those that do.

I'd rather go Indy and schedule series arrangements similar to what Notre Dame does with our long standing rivals and branching out to OVC and PFL schools.

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 10:14 PM
You want to know why UNI fans don't want this?

1. We don't have a president right now and an AD that's 7 months on the job. Not a great time to vote for **** like this.

2. No matter what happens UNI is ****ed.

2.1. The vote goes through and unofficial divisions happen. Because UNI is the geographic center of the conference and isn't cheap as **** and insists on bus rides to 99% of games UNI gets sent west to be in a side that would be made up of UNI, SDSU, NDSU, MSU, USD and UND. Checked the standings lately? That's 4 of the top 6 right now. It's also the only 3 teams with any sort of national pedigree. Spin Illinois State any way you want. They have like 5 playoff appearances all time.

2.2. The vote goes through and the unofficial split happens and UNI is now cut off from its MVC brethren. UNIs biggest rival has always been SIU. Doesn't matter how good or bad either team is SIU is the rival. Played them every single year since 1983. Indiana State 31 times since 1983. Illinois State 34 times since 1985. WIU every year since 1978 and 6 more times between 1967 and 1974. We've already been forced to rotate Indiana State and Illinois State off our schedules because of this dumb set up we currently have. I've had enough of it. I hate it. To make it worse they are rotated off to play USD. Sure we have history with USD in the 60s and 70s but 99% of UNI fans dgaf. There's nothing that makes those games special. Same to be said to some extent with SDSU and NDSU. Sure they are heated because they are tight and physical games but that's it. There's something special about a bond/rivalry that's created by playing every year for 3 decades or playing in every single sport every single year. To drop those rivalries for USD and UND is damn tough to swallow. Real damn tough.

3. If it doesn't happen and UNI votes against it we are the bad guys because we are in the middle and it's"doesn't affect us like others".

4. If it doesn't happen and we voted for it we look like we are turning our backs on what the rest of our conferences, and long standing mates/rivals want.

There's no winning in this for UNI. It's adding another school that doesn't do anything to move the meter of the UNI fan base while driving us further from those that do.

I'd rather go Indy and schedule series arrangements similar to what Notre Dame does with our long standing rivals and branching out to OVC and PFL schools.

The Indy thing sounds interesting. Could work.

abc123
November 5th, 2016, 10:23 PM
But the landscape has changed now. If UND enters the Summit, IMO, baseball is back. But maybe not.

The Summit needed baseball members then too but it didn't seem to matter. I guess the Summit could try to add it as a requirement for UND to join but since it isn't a required core sport, I'm thinking they would have a hard time doing it.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Could be. Would the hockey nuts up there like that?

Womens hockey to GFCC is about as popular as people who watch CSPAN

JayJ79
November 5th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Going Indy isn't a realistic option.
Why not?
Unlike basketball, there is no financial shares from the ncaa tournament.
unlike P5 conferences, there isn't a boatload of TV money (there may be some financing with the ESPN3 deal, but not much)

Scheduling becomes a bit of a pain, but I don't see why you couldn't set up home-and-homes with various teams.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Womens hockey to GFCC is about as enjoyable as watching CSPAN

Don't they give tickets away for the women's games?

UND guys: what is the average attendance at a women's game?

FargoBison
November 5th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Why not?
Unlike basketball, there is no financial shares from the ncaa tournament.
unlike P5 conferences, there isn't a boatload of TV money (there may be some financing with the ESPN3 deal, but not much)

Scheduling becomes a bit of a pain, but I don't see why you couldn't set up home-and-homes with various teams.

NDSU was kind of an indy when we were Great West...scheduling was a constant nightmare for our AD.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 10:35 PM

I slightly edited post to "popular as people who watch". I just know it kills revenue and to strip the team, bring back baseball, cut tennis and possibly S/D, and reallocate scholariships so the faminazis dont go balls to the wall (which they will even if they cut a sport that bleeds money since it is a womens sport and by doing this und is telling young girls their sport is worthless, but they have a huge deficit so they need to find ways to cut back spending) and bring up title 9 protests, which they will regardless.

RabidRabbit
November 5th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Und to summit & mvfc could work. From football perspective, split Summit MVC.
Summit
Und
Ndsu
Sdsu
Usd
WIU
Possibly EIU.

MVC
Uni
Isu b
Isu r
Siu
Ysu
MoSt

Note to UNI, look at how closely UNI matches sports in Summit. If Wichita St leaves or adds football how well does MVC fit UNI's sports?

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2016, 10:46 PM
It's Summit League Football time! **** the MVC. xlolx

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Summit
Und
Ndsu
Sdsu
Usd
WIU
Possibly EIU.

MVC
Uni
Isu b
Isu r
Siu
Ysu
MoSt

Note to UNI, look at how closely UNI matches sports in Summit. If Wichita St leaves or adds football how well does MVC fit UNI's sports?

Yeah, personally don't love that. I would love to be in the MVC division though.

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Yeah, personally don't love that. I would love to be in the MVC division though.

Because it's weak?

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Because it's weak?
Absolutely :D

clenz
November 5th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Summit
Und
Ndsu
Sdsu
Usd
WIU
Possibly EIU.

MVC
Uni
Isu b
Isu r
Siu
Ysu
MoSt

It doesn't.

It also doesn't match the summit.

If* conversations are happening it's not with the summit.

BisonFan02
November 5th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Absolutely :D

Maybe Summit League teams can pad their OOC schedule with MVC and Pioneer cupcakes? xlolx :D

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Maybe Summit League teams can pad their OOC schedule with MVC and Pioneer cupcakes? xlolx :D
Pretty much xlolx I mean the split is basically top half and bottom half of the standings.

Redbird007
November 5th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Absolutely nothing in it for ISUr by adding UND. Not about UND specifically rather about what does any potential new member bring to the table. Answer...nothing that conference does not already have so it dilutes. BTW....UNI can talk history all it wants but ISUr academics improving nationally as is their football program too. My point is ISU can fend for themselves as much as anyone in the conference.

Hambone
November 5th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Summit
Und
Ndsu
Sdsu
Usd
WIU
Possibly EIU.

MVC
Uni
Isu b
Isu r
Siu
Ysu
MoSt

If UND and EIU were to join to make it 12 teams, would there be any chance of having three 4 team "pods" that play each other, similar to the Big Sky "Rivals"? For example, you have the Dakota schools in one, the second has UNI, WIU, ISUr, Missouri State, and the third has EIU, SIU, ISUb and YSU? So you play the three teams in your pod and then a mix of 5 from the others? Probably not a popular idea, but maybe a possibility?

POD Knows
November 5th, 2016, 11:09 PM

Would they have title IX problems if they dropped women's hockey and added men's baseball.

clenz
November 5th, 2016, 11:11 PM
The fact we have to discuss all of these scenarios to try to figure out how to make it work is more than enough reason to say no

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 11:23 PM
#sos-gate

Red & Black
November 5th, 2016, 11:48 PM
Bye, Felicia.

centennial
November 6th, 2016, 12:10 AM
The only one this works for is UND. Maybe it works for the summit if they bring back baseball. Even then almost no reason to bring UND on board. Stay away. Hope all the eastern teams block this. The Big Sky can let UND be an associate football member, if they bring back baseball then can come to the summit, not the MVFC.

abc123
November 6th, 2016, 12:19 AM
The only one this works for is UND. Maybe it works for the summit if they bring back baseball. Even then almost no reason to bring UND on board. Stay away. Hope all the eastern teams block this. The Big Sky can let UND be an associate football member, if they bring back baseball then can come to the summit, not the MVFC.
Yes, I'm sure there are no benefits to the MVFC and Summit, they are just doing a big old favor for UND out of the goodness of their heart. The Summit is no surprise, 10 teams makes a ton of sense and gives NDSU a simple travel partner. I've already mentioned the baseball thing, the Summit shot that down and I'm pretty confident that ship has sailed. And the MVFC didn't just do a compete 180 on their public stance for no reason. As much as I love to criticize the two commissioners, the conferences aren't exploring it without benefit to them.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2016, 12:28 AM
I'm sure I'm in the minority of Bison fans with this one but I wouldn't mind seeing UND on the conference schedule for football. It would save a lot of gnashing of teeth about how/when/where they should schedule the next OOC series between the schools since the schedules are dictated by the conference.

However, from an overall conference perspective I'm not a fan of 11 teams. It's too many IMO. I think 10 is a good number because it allows you to play almost everyone in the league (except one team) and allows them to set the conference schedule so everybody plays each week and there isn't one team left out to dry each week (I always feel bad for the team that has the conference bye in the last week of the season with an odd number of teams in the league). So if UND does join I hope that means that the MVFC knows of another school on the way out.

From the Summit perspective it makes plenty of sense since it gets the conference to 10 teams which makes scheduling much easier with travel partners and allowing them to set a more consistent conference schedule (similar to having 10 teams instead of 9 for football). I really wish UND hadn't dropped their baseball program if they end up joining the Summit though. That would've made it a slam dunk of a move for the conference.

Schism55
November 6th, 2016, 01:08 AM
Soo much this xpeacex

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 04:23 AM
#buttbaseball. LOL. Huge Summit league baseball fans everywhere, as attendance shows.

Twentysix
November 6th, 2016, 04:59 AM
#buttbaseball. LOL. Huge Summit league baseball fans everywhere, as attendance shows.

Nah,without another baseball team the whole conference is in jeopardy because if one more baseball team leaves all of the conferences autobids will cease to exist.

It really has nothing to do with people liking baseball, it has everything to do with people liking the men's and women's basketball autobids to the NCAA tournament.

NDB
November 6th, 2016, 05:54 AM
lets listen to the sioux, i mean fighting hawk fans. these guys know how to run an athletic department.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Nah,without another baseball team the whole conference is in jeopardy because if one more baseball team leaves all of the conferences autobids will cease to exist.

It really has nothing to do with people liking baseball, it has everything to do with people liking the men's and women's basketball autobids to the NCAA tournament.

Which makes it even more amazing that Couple and a couple ADs blackballed UND from affiliate membership a few years ago. Real forward thinking. Wasn't too worried about the entire conference I guess.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 06:08 AM
IMO, the Summit move is a done deal, just trying to work out the football timing.

SUPharmacist
November 6th, 2016, 06:25 AM

Is this item a real concern? Would UNI take that much flak over it?

IBleedYellow
November 6th, 2016, 06:45 AM
IMO, the Summit move is a done deal, just trying to work out the football timing.
Never would be a great answer to the Valley membership.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Never would be a great answer to the Valley membership.

11 teams is not good IMO.

Plus if the eastern teams bitch and moan enough about 2 "Dakota" trips, will that create the 2 game drop?

If UND does join, Patty should tell them tough **** and suck it up.

Geographically, UND does belong in the Valley. I don't like 11 teams but who knows what will happen.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2016, 07:01 AM

Eeeee-yup!

REALBird
November 6th, 2016, 07:19 AM
13 pages already....Wow.

OK here goes.......

1.) If Patty V is involved then we can basically stop chatting, it's likely a done deal once UND secures their place in the Summit. Why? Because Patty does dumb ISH and can be easily influenced. Welcome UND.

2.) UND was basically told by the Big Fluffy, it's ok to sleep around. Now that they have an open relationship, they're hot for the MVFC and Summit. They didn't realize that this chick Ida-HO needs a home, and she has this friend in New Mexico that is on the fence about joining the swingers club. The Big Fluffy is a pimp trying to add to its already big flock. Letting an underperforming lady go isn't that bad, but until then "go make my money"!

3.) Yes there are scheduling issues with 11 teams, but damn the Big Sky hasn't had trouble getting multiple bids, nor the CAA who has what.....12? Geez what do we sound like complaining? Yeah I know the MVFC is a meat grinder. That will get worked out. Orhers may feel otherwise, but what made the 2014 Championship so much damn fun was that it was really the MVFC and NC. If we can get rid of regionalization could happen more in the future.

4.) Conspiracy theorist of the world unite. What's in a name? Well for the MVFC....football. It's nothing like the MVC for basketball. I've seen it bandied about here, and at first was like meh! But NDSU as long as they're not going FBS is the cream of the crop. If a Summit Football League does materialize with USD, SDSU, UND, WIU. It's probably a hella lot easier to poach a few schools who may think the Big Fluffy is too damned big than it would be to get a few more MVC/MVFC schools to join. But it instantly would become one of the better conferences. Quite honest, I think they really have all the leverage in this one. Maybe the Eastern schools do block it, but maybe Patti V knows she's been grabbed by the short and curlies, and is positioningnto keep it all together than watch it being ripped apart.

All in all. Don't care if we take UND or not. But it's Patti sooooo....welcome UND.

SDSUAlum08
November 6th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I'm all for a Summit move. Wonder if UND would bring back baseball?

Still not sold on the Valley move. Geography makes sense but 11 teams is not good.

The Summit shouldn't accept without UND having baseball.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 07:46 AM
The Summit shouldn't accept without UND having baseball.

I don't have any inside info but this makes sense for sure.

goyotes
November 6th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Lot of mention about the Summit League's need to have another member sponsoring baseball in order to keep their autobids for other sports. What are the requirements for a conference to keep autobids? Could a sport other than baseball be used to meet the requirements?

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Lot of mention about the Summit League's need to have another member sponsoring baseball in order to keep their autobids for other sports. What are the requirements for a conference to keep autobids? Could a sport other than baseball be used to meet the requirements?

It's the baseball autobid so it needs to be baseball. xlolx

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 08:25 AM

It's the number of sports offered by the conference that qualify for a NCAA tournament autobid that is the problem. Baseball is the issue because the Summit is at the minimum for sports and baseball barely has enough teams to qualify for an autobid.

IBleedYellow
November 6th, 2016, 08:28 AM

You must maintain 6 programs in the sponsored main sports.

The Summit actually fell under this but the NCAA gave the Summit an exception while UNO was on their 5 year transition period.

superman7515
November 6th, 2016, 08:28 AM

Not sure if serious... but no.

To be eligible for automatic qualification into any Division I championship, a conference shall: (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)
(a) Have at least six member institutions classified in Division I in the sport in which automatic qualification is
sought; and
(b) Meet all requirements for conference automatic qualification into any division championship as set forth in
Bylaw 31.3.4.

31.3.4.1 Requirements—Division Championship. To be eligible for automatic qualification in a Division Championship, a member conference must meet the following requirements: (Revised: 12/9/91, 8/13/93, 12/5/94, 10/18/95, 10/27/98, 4/29/99, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, 12/15/06)

(a) Conference competition must be conducted in the applicable sport and the conference champion in that sport must be determined not later than the date on which participants are selected for the NCAA championship, either by regular in-season conference competition or a conference meet or tournament, as indicated at the time of application. If a conference’s competition to determine its automatic qualifier is unexpectedly terminated (e.g., due to inclement weather), the conference may designate its qualifier, provided it has established objective criteria for making that designation and has communicated that information to the appropriate sports committee by a specified deadline.

(b) In the event of a tie for the conference championship, the conference shall have the responsibility of determining which team or individual shall represent the conference in NCAA competition. If a play-off is held, such competition shall be considered conference competition, not NCAA competition.

(c) In sports other than championship subdivision football, a conference may establish subdivisions and conduct competition within each subdivision to determine a conference champion, as long as each subdivision consists of at least four members. Conferences with subdivisions of four members must conduct double round-robin competition within each subdivision, plus a postseason tournament, to determine their champion. Conferences with subdivisions of five or more members may conduct either single or double round-robin competition within each subdivision, plus a postseason tournament to determine their champion. (Note: This regulation does not apply to Division I men’s or women’s basketball. In those sports, a conference may conduct either double round-robin, in-season competition, or a minimum of 14 conference games in order to determine its champion.)

(d) In championship subdivision football, football-playing conferences that subdivide into five or more teams are required to conduct a single round-robin competition within each division and develop a formula for determination of the conference champion, which must be approved by the Football Championship Committee prior to the start of the season. A postseason championship game is not required.

(e) The conference must maintain and actively enforce compliance with eligibility rules at least as stringent as those in Bylaw 14 applicable to its members. The use of an ineligible student-athlete by a team in a conference that has been granted automatic qualification may result in the involved team being denied the right to be the automatic entry in the NCAA championship. The governing sports committee may recommend loss of the automatic-qualification privilege for the conference during the season in which the violation occurred or for a future championship.

(f ) All eligible member institutions must agree to participate in the appropriate NCAA championship. If a conference champion is ineligible to compete, declines to compete or cannot compete for any reason, automatic qualification shall be withdrawn for that year and the remaining conference members shall be considered at large. Automatic qualification for a conference shall not be withdrawn if a conference champion declines to compete in an NCAA championship for reasons related to written religious policies against competition on certain days. Under such circumstances, the conference’s second-place team (as determined by the conference) shall receive the automatic bid to the NCAA championship.

(g) All institutions may hold membership in only that conference in the sport in which automatic qualification is sought and may participate in only that conference’s process to determine the automatic qualifier.

31.3.4.2 Requirements—National Collegiate Championship. [#] To be eligible for automatic qualification in a National Collegiate Championship, a member conference must meet the following general requirements: (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

(a) Have at least six active members that sponsor the applicable sport in any division (Note: A provisional member in the process of becoming an NCAA member cannot be used to meet the requisite number.);
(b) The six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two years in the applicable sport;
(c) There shall be no waivers of the two-year waiting period; and
(d) Any new member added to a conference that is eligible for an automatic bid shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifier.

Laker
November 6th, 2016, 08:38 AM

The Summit actually fell under this but the NCAA gave the Summit an exception while UNO was on their 5 year transition period.

Speaking
of UNO- is football there gone forever because of Trev Alberts backroom deal with UNL?

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Speaking
of UNO- is football there gone forever because of Trev Alberts backroom deal with UNL?

They'll deny it...but...yea

geaux_sioux
November 6th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Speaking

It's really unfortunate because they'd make a great FCS program.

penguinpower
November 6th, 2016, 09:26 AM

This further anchors the conference more West. I hope YSU and Indiana State can help along with NDSU

IBleedYellow
November 6th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Hey WIU fans... Have y'all heard rumors of y'all dropping football?

Or MSU leaving for FBS...or YSU for OVC or CAA?

Something must have happened or happening to bring the Valley to the negotiation table.

centennial
November 6th, 2016, 10:49 AM
This further anchors the conference more West. I hope YSU and Indiana State can help along with NDSU

Yeah, basically we cannot block them because of state legislature. Sooo.. if some eastern schools want to block them- 2 for 1's in men's bb?

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Yeah, basically we cannot block them because of state legislature. Sooo.. if some eastern schools want to block them- 2 for 1's in men's bb?

Fascinating, Billy Bob.

IBleedYellow
November 6th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Fascinating, Billy Bob.
Not really.

The media would be able to find out how NDSU voted just like how they found these text messages.

FOIA.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Not really.

The media would be able to find out how NDSU voted just like how they found these text messages.

FOIA.

Which exactly how this "secret" information got out.

centennial
November 6th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Which exactly how this "secret" information got out.

That's why you do it in person or a call. No emails or texts. Does WIU want to drop football? Missouri State leaving for the Sun Belt? I don't see why we would want UNDies in the MVFC. They don't bring anything.

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Which is why I want the east schools to vote no hard since NDSU will have to be a yes or the legislature will continue to under fund NDSU at a ridiculous rate and overfund UND as usual.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 11:36 AM
That's why you do it in person or a call. No emails or texts. Does WIU want to drop football? Missouri State leaving for the Sun Belt? I don't see why we would want UNDies in the MVFC. They don't bring anything.

What did South Dakota bring?

goyotes
November 6th, 2016, 11:39 AM
The same thing that UND brings, that being stability to the Summit League, which in turn brings stability to the MVFC.

No_Skill
November 6th, 2016, 11:40 AM

Fleas and mange.

Schism55
November 6th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Fleas and mange.
****ing lol

centennial
November 6th, 2016, 11:50 AM

They are already in. Can't do anything about it. Also they helped keep basketball stable. UND brings nothing.

Redbird007
November 6th, 2016, 11:56 AM
UND brings nothing to the current conference members moreover it is a bad geographic fit for many members. It makes sense why UND would want to join but that is only thing that makes sense.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 12:02 PM
They are already in. Can't do anything about it. Also they helped keep basketball stable. UND brings nothing.

For the last time, hopefully, 9 members for BB is bad. 10 is perfect. UND is #10. The ADs are ecstatic. The MVFC has to go along.

Schism55
November 6th, 2016, 12:05 PM
For the last time, hopefully, 9 members for BB is bad. 10 is perfect. UND is #10. The ADs are ecstatic. The MVFC has to go along.
Keep telling yourself that.
Keep your non stop drama asses in the big sky please, noone wants you in the mvfc.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Keep telling yourself that.
Keep your non stop drama asses in the big sky please, noone wants you in the mvfc.

Buddy Noone? He wants us in.

centennial
November 6th, 2016, 12:09 PM

This has nothing to do with basketball at all. There might be other reasons like NDSU or SDSU going to bat for UND. Or someone leaving. We already have a good bb conference. Summit is rated 11-14 in the nation, Big Sky is 22-26. UND would actually bring down our RPI. We need a team that is as good as NDSU, SDSU so we can get in the conversation for an at large.

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM
This has nothing to do with basketball at all. There might be other reasons like NDSU or SDSU going to bat for UND. Or someone leaving. We already have a good bb conference. Summit is rated 11-14 in the nation, Big Sky is 22-26. UND would actually bring down our RPI. We need a team that is as good as NDSU, SDSU so we can get in the conversation for an at large.

UNI anyone? xlolx

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM

Surface-level clueless. Ask around or listen to an interview once in a while. The takes on here are embarrassing.

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Surface-level clueless. Ask around or listen to an interview once in a while. The takes on here are embarrassing.

It is cause if Brescani (who the state and Board of Ed hates) and Larsen say anything negative about this, the legislature or Board of Ed will punish them severely for being anti-UND. Now if the roles were reversed, they would say tough luck and grow up and stop being a perpetulant man child. You and I both know this to be true and so does anyone who has followed NDSU/UND and politics relations since late 1990s early 2000s.

centennial
November 6th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Please explain how? You think we are looking for more basketball schools? The Summit is a solid mid major conference, what good does it do to add a team that is lower than average. Neither is UND a basketball school. Hockey> Football>Basketball. It's not like SDSU where they care about basketball as much as football.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 12:19 PM
So Dean and Matt went to the Summit and MVFC and told them all that they have to push this through so there isn't bad press back in ND?
Those two hold ALOT of power over the other President's and AD's.

- - - Updated - - -

Please explain how? You think we are looking for more basketball schools? The Summit is a solid mid major conference, what good does it do to add a team that is lower than average. Neither is UND a basketball school. Hockey> Football>Basketball. It's not like SDSU where they care about basketball as much as football.

Read what I wrote about why they are adding. Then, process it.

IBleedYellow
November 6th, 2016, 12:35 PM
So Dean and Matt went to the Summit and MVFC and told them all that they have to push this through so there isn't bad press back in ND?
Those two hold ALOT of power over the other President's and AD's.

- - - Updated - - -

Read what I wrote about why they are adding. Then, process it.
Dean and Matt don't need to push anything...they just have to show publicly that they support UND.

Behind close doors they might not, but it doesn't matter. They will get crucified by the media and politicians of they don't vote yes for UND. Hence why NDSU fans hope everyone else votes no. Then we can play the "look we voted yes" card.

Hammersmith
November 6th, 2016, 01:39 PM

It's the number of sports offered by the conference that qualify for a NCAA tournament autobid that is the problem. Baseball is the issue because the Summit is at the minimum for sports and baseball barely has enough teams to qualify for an autobid.

I was in the process of writing a post about the Summit using football to replace baseball in the MBB autobid calculation, when I reread part of the NCAA rules that made me sit back and wonder if we're getting this baseball thing wrong.

Here's the actual bylaw in question:

18.5.3 Men’s Basketball Eligibility Requirements. For automatic qualification in the sport of men’s basketball in Division I, a conference shall meet the following additional requirements: (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91)
(a) It shall determine a conference champion in at least six men’s sports [at least two of which must be team sports as set forth in Bylaw 31.3.4.1-(a)]; and in each of these six sports, at least six of the conference’s member institutions shall sponsor the sport on the varsity intercollegiate level; and
(b) It shall conduct double round-robin, in-season conference competition, or a minimum of 14 conference games, before declaring its champion in basketball.

Note the section I bolded and underlined. That's always been the issue with the Summit. It only has two men's team sports other than MBB(soccer and baseball). But in reading the bylaw this time, I noticed that at no point does it say that MBB is excluded as a possibility for one of the two teams. You can infer that the NCAA meant to exclude MBB, but they didn't add the single word necessary to do that. All they would have had to do is start it with "It shall determine a conference champion in at least six other men’s sports". The addition of that single word would have excluded MBB. But they didn't, so it's not.

Unless someone can point out something in the bylaws that says otherwise, I have to conclude that the Summit MBB autobid is safe as long as the Summit keeps either soccer or baseball above 6 teams.

Sure it would be nice if UND had baseball, but I have to reverse positions on whether it's necessary.

For the record, I personally think the Summit is much better for UND, mildly better or neutral for the Summit, and worse for NDSU. I think that the MVFC is much better for UND, worse for the MVFC, and worse for NDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 01:42 PM
To all the NDSU guys on here bad-mouthing the move to add UND.

It is good for the Summit and a good geographical fit for UND and logical one at that.

Now the Valley membership is kind of questionable but it also makes geographical sense also. 11 teams is not ideal but it can work.

Hammersmith
November 6th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Dean and Matt don't need to push anything...they just have to show publicly that they support UND.

Behind close doors they might not, but it doesn't matter. They will get crucified by the media and politicians of they don't vote yes for UND. Hence why NDSU fans hope this never comes to a vote.

FIFY. Never getting to the point of a vote is a best-case scenario for everyone not named UND. While it could play well for NDSU if they voted yes as part of a failed vote, I'd rather not see the divisions within the conference go on the record. The media and everyone can guess who was leaning yes and who was leaning no, but no one will know for certain except those in the room. I think that's best for the conference, long-term.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 02:23 PM
FIFY. Never getting to the point of a vote is a best-case scenario for everyone not named UND. While it could play well for NDSU if they voted yes as part of a failed vote, I'd rather not see the divisions within the conference go on the record. The media and everyone can guess who was leaning yes and who was leaning no, but no one will know for certain except those in the room. I think that's best for the conference, long-term.

Why is it bad for NDSU?

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 02:27 PM
The irony of this is thick. Sioux fans were ripped for not being able to move on from their old nickname.
Now we got all the MVFC fans who can't seem to embrace any change to their Utopia and use every hillbilly reason why it shouldn't change.

Sucks when **** is forced on you, isn't it?

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 02:30 PM
The irony of this is thick. Sioux fans were ripped for not being able to move on from their old nickname.
Now we got all the MVFC fans who can't seem to embrace any change to their Utopia and use every hillbilly reason why it shouldn't change.

I've got to hand it to you.This might be the single stupidest thing you've ever said on this board. Bravo. xlolx

Schism55
November 6th, 2016, 02:36 PM

You self aggrandizing arrogant assholes made your bed, now ****ing lie in it.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 02:45 PM
You self aggrandizing arrogant assholes made your bed, now ****ing lie in it.

With Summit sheets and MVFC comforter. If we want.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 02:47 PM
I've got to hand it to you.This might be the single stupidest thing you've ever said on this board. Bravo. xlolx

Possibly. You guys are handling it well. I may be wrong.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Possibly. You guys are handling it well. I may be wrong.

Maybe we should have the tribes take a vote.If it passes then we can keep you out.:D

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 02:55 PM

I'm fine with UND in the Summit. I just absolutely loathe the idea of them in the MVFC for the reasons I've stated several times. It ****s the Dakota schools and UNI hard when it comes down to qualifying for the playoffs, attaining a seed, and the autobid. All because UND can't handle their budget. WAFJ

Twentysix
November 6th, 2016, 03:09 PM
UND brings another ultra stable member. There is value in that.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 03:10 PM
UND brings another ultra stable member. There is value in that.

What team in the MVFC is really that unstable? Plus we can afford to lose one to get us back to a round robin.

Redbird007
November 6th, 2016, 03:16 PM
To all the NDSU guys on here bad-mouthing the move to add UND.

It is good for the Summit and a good geographical fit for UND and logical one at that.

Now the Valley membership is kind of questionable but it also makes geographical sense also. 11 teams is not ideal but it can work.

Explain the geographical sense it makes for the vast majority of the MVFC? Other than the 3 Dakota schools it makes no geo sense. I would argue already one two many S Dakota schools. The MVFC already has a majority of the fan base locked up in ND and related region via NDSU. If MVFC is going to add a new member how about a team that brings more visibility to the conference vs a team that only adds travel difficulty/costs.

citdog
November 6th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I know the hatred is strong between y'all but financially it makes sense. Easy, read cheap, bus trip and packed stadiums for both (not that NDSU needs the help).

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 04:06 PM
It makes sense geographically for UND, NDSU, USD, and SDSU.

UNI is the next closest team at a 7.5 hour drive.

centennial
November 6th, 2016, 04:09 PM

Agreed.

centennial
November 6th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I know the hatred is strong between y'all but financially it makes sense. Easy, read cheap, bus trip and packed stadiums for both (not that NDSU needs the help).
Summit- If they bring men's baseball which they don't have.
Football- The western part of the division is stronger, we will either need to round robin weaker teams even more. For example SIU could win the conference without playing NDSU and UNI.

NDSU has to be behind them even discussing this. Most of the conference is dead set against UND.

We don't want to become Big Sky number 2. 10 MVFC teams are enough, 9 are fine too.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 04:28 PM
It makes sense geographically for UND, NDSU, USD, and SDSU.

UNI is the next closest team at a 7.5 hour drive.

You want bus rides for all of your games?

Drop down to D2 or D3.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Summit- If they bring men's baseball which they don't have.
Football- The western part of the division is stronger, we will either need to round robin weaker teams even more. For example SIU could win the conference without playing NDSU and UNI.

NDSU has to be behind them even discussing this. Most of the conference is dead set against UND.

We don't want to become Big Sky number 2. 10 MVFC teams are enough, 9 are fine too.

Who in the conference is dead set against it?

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 04:31 PM

All the eastern schools would be against adding another western team just for starters.

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2016, 04:31 PM

NDSU (whether or not they admit it)
YSU
All of the Illinois schools due to deficit and shortfall
ISUb
UNI

Besides maybe USD and SDSU none of the east schools want this and most Bison fans would rather see your program burn after what you did to NDSU then ever let you into the Valley for football and the Summit for all other sports since you do not sponsor baseball and your basketball program is dog ****. (even if basketball is pointless).

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Explain the geographical sense it makes for the vast majority of the MVFC? Other than the 3 Dakota schools it makes no geo sense. I would argue already one two many S Dakota schools. The MVFC already has a majority of the fan base locked up in ND and related region via NDSU. If MVFC is going to add a new member how about a team that brings more visibility to the conference vs a team that only adds travel difficulty/costs.

Who is there to add? EIU? They left the Gateway because they couldn't compete. What team will bring "more visibility", like you just said?

It is a football only league. Is one more charter that detrimental to the athletic departments of ISUb, YSU, SIU, Ill State, MSU and UNI?

Bisonator
November 6th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I would think: ISUr, ISUb, YSU, UNI, SIU, MSU

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Who is there to add? EIU? They left the Gateway because they couldn't compete. What team will bring "more visibility", like you just said?

It is a football only league. Is one more charter that detrimental to the athletic departments of ISUb, YSU, SIU, Ill State, MSU and UNI?

You have been paying attention to the massive problems with budgets the Illinois schools are having right now haven't you?

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 04:36 PM
LOL. So Patty is going rogue. Interesting strategy on her part.

citdog
November 6th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Drop down to D2 or D3.

The SoCon buses everywhere and I am pretty sure it is D1.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 04:41 PM

Not sure where everyone gets the idea that this is a done deal. Sounds to me like the process you would go through for having all your info together before presenting a proposal to the other schools for entrance to the conferences. You would want the timelines, how much it would cost you to leave, etc before it was voted on.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 04:42 PM
The SoCon buses everywhere and I am pretty sure it is D1.

Apples/oranges

Many FCS schools in your vicinity.

- - - Updated - - -

You have been paying attention to the massive problems with budgets the Illinois schools are having right now haven't you?

Well they will probably vote No then right?

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Apples/oranges

Many FCS schools in your vicinity.

- - - Updated - - -

Well they will probably vote No then right?

Unless UND can sell them on the idea of saving money by getting the to drop another trip west and **** over the stronger half of the conference.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 04:49 PM

Drop down to D2 or D3.

I didn't say that, jackass. I said it didn't make geographical sense for the MVFC. There are 6 teams further than UNI. xrolleyesx

jacksfan29
November 6th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Not sure where everyone gets the idea that this is a done deal. Sounds to me like the process you would go through for having all your info together before presenting a proposal to the other schools for entrance to the conferences. You would want the timelines, how much it would cost you to leave, etc before it was voted on.

Reading the story, you may not like it but it would seem to be a done deal. Could be Patti knows more, WIU could be dropping or YSU finally leaving but it would seem UND will be in the MVFC starting in 2018.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:02 PM
I didn't say that, jackass. I said it didn't make geographical sense for the MVFC. There are 6 teams further than UNI. xrolleyesx

Well then jackass, email your AD and tell him to vote no on this if it comes to that....xcoffeex

- - - Updated - - -

Reading the story, you may not like it but it would seem to be a done deal. Could be Patti knows more, WIU could be dropping or YSU finally leaving but it would seem UND will be in the MVFC starting in 2018.

That is what I got out of it also.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 05:04 PM

No one is saying that. It seems as if they have the votes. We're just not sure why.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Well then jackass, email your AD and tell him to vote no on this if it comes to that....xcoffeex

- - - Updated - - -

That is what I got out of it also.

Apparently reading is not your strong suit. Someone asked why the MVFC would add UND and another person said geography. I posted the distances. GTFO with these stupid responses.xrolleyesx

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Gotta love getting ****ed over because UND can't manage a budget. WAFJ

Southern Bison
November 6th, 2016, 05:08 PM
UND and their fans were little whiny bitches when we made our move to D1 (see GF Herald op-ed). Since then, they've fubar'd their name change, have run the Athletics budget into the deep red, and still won't display the Nickel trophy or put it up for thw winner of our '15 or '19 game because they're ****ing pussies.

I'd rather play ISU-B & YSU than the ****sticks from Grand Forks.

You started making your bed 13 years ago...go lie in your filth.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 05:09 PM
UND and their fans were little whiny bitches when we made our move to D1 (see GF Herald op-ed Since then, they've fubar'd their name change, have run the Athletics budget into the deep red, and still won't display the Nickel trophy or put it up for thw winner of our '15 or '19 game because they're ****ing pussies.

Wow. Huh

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Apparently reading is not your strong suit. Someone asked why the MVFC would add UND and another person said geography. I posted the distances. GTFO with these stupid responses.xrolleyesx

xblahxxblahxxblahx

Why?

It is a good geographic fit if you like it or not.

Like I said, email your AD to vote no.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 05:11 PM
UND and their fans were little whiny bitches when we made our move to D1 (see GF Herald op-ed). Since then, they've fubar'd their name change, have run the Athletics budget into the deep red, and still won't display the Nickel trophy or put it up for thw winner of our '15 or '19 game because they're ****ing pussies.

I agree with all of this, except for the part about the nickel trophy. It sounds like things went a little bit too far with that one it was on display. xlolx

Southern Bison
November 6th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Wow. Huh
Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Bison56

Agree, let them die.

IBleedYellow
Wow. Huh
He's not wrong. About any of it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:13 PM

I had this same feeling also in the past but time to move on IMO.

UND would be a good addition to the Summit and to a lesser extent the Valley. 11 teams is not ideal but maybe someone is leaving?? Don't know yet.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 05:14 PM
xblahxxblahxxblahx

Why?

It is a good geographic fit if you like it or not.

Like I said, email your AD to vote no.

If that's a good geographic fit for the conference then there are a million teams that we could add. Apparently your boner for the fighting Hawks clouds your ability to use logic.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 05:14 PM
This thread is embarrassing. Yuck.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I had this same feeling also in the past but time to move on IMO.

UND would be a good addition to the Summit and to a lesser extent the Valley. 11 teams is not ideal but maybe someone is leaving?? Don't know yet.

11 is retarded. Also will savagely **** over the western teams from trying to achieve a seed. But hey, they're close to Fargo so it's worth it.....

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:18 PM
If that's a good geographic fit for the conference then there are a million teams that we could add. Apparently your boner for the fighting Hawks clouds your ability to use logic.

You don't like them possibly coming in, good for you. If someone leaves then they are a good fit. Geographically, they are a good fit.

Million teams? xlolx

Not many FCS would leave their conference to going the Valley. EIU? No Who else? Most FCS schools in the west are in the Big Sky. Name these million schools that will drop their current conference membership to come to the Valley.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 05:18 PM

Says the guy who compared the process for adding a team on the outside of the geographic footprint to fighting to keep an offensive nickname. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:19 PM
11 is retarded. Also will savagely **** over the western teams from trying to achieve a seed. But hey, they're close to Fargo so it's worth it.....

Like I said, it is not ideal. Maybe someone is leaving. I don't know. We are all speculating right now.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 05:19 PM
You don't like them possibly coming in, good for you. If someone leaves then they are a good fit. Geographically, they are a good fit.

Million teams? xlolx

Not many FCS would leave their conference to going the Valley. EIU? No Who else? Most FCS schools in the west are in the Big Sky. Name these million schools that will drop their current conference membership to come to the Valley.

WHY DOES THE VALLEY NEED ANOTHER TEAM

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 05:20 PM

Million teams? xlolx

This entire conversation has nothing to do with whether or not I want them. We are talking about a good Geographic fit. We are closer to them than the Big Sky schools so it is a great fit for them. They are outside of our current footprint so it is not a good Geographic fit for the conference as a whole. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp. If we can stretch the footprint in any direction there are quite a few teams that would be options. Would any of them want to join? Who knows?

Southern Bison
I agree with all of this, except for the part about the nickel trophy. It sounds like things went a little bit too far with that one it was on display. xlolx
The Nickel is apparently housed in an Athletics Department employee's personal garage. Just how ****ed up is that??

Redbird007

I said "if" we are going to add another university let us (MVFC members) add one that provides more conference visibility / increased brand value for all universities....if we can't add a member like that then why add another university? The EIU reference is your commentary not mine. Adding any other university to MVFC exacerbates the problem of not being able to play every conference member as it is. This is a REAL problem as ISU and UNI may soon be unnecessary conference adversaries arguing against each other if ISU wins its remaining football game and UNI wins it last two...they will have same records, similar strength of schedule, both will be playoff potential teams yet never played each other and only one team may get invited?

I have nothing against UND whatsoever. I do know Grand Forks is 750 miles one way from ISU and there is no easy way to get there. The MVFC already has a member in that state that draws incredible well from that area and there is nothing left to obtain from a marketing perspective. My comments are not anti-UND rather my comments are based upon what is best for ISU. If UND to MVFC happens in my opinion it weakens the MVFC as many members will not like the addition. Those reasons do not go away and will continue to exist and add pressure for the conference to dissolve in the long term.

To answer your question about detrimental to other schools?... the detriment is not severe but yes the costs far outweigh the benefits as there are no benefits for ISU. Yes that is selfish but ISU must do what is in the best interest of ISU just as UND must do the same.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 05:21 PM
The Nickel is apparently housed in an Athletics Department employee's personal garage. Just how ****ed up is that??

You sound concerned.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:22 PM

I'm more neutral on the whole thing with the Valley addition. It is good for the Summit though.

Right now I think the Valley is fine. Maybe someone is leaving the Valley and UND is filling the void? I don't know. Just guessing. But it sounds like it might be a done deal with the UND AD speculating on a date to start???

Southern Bison
November 6th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Your school is ****ing embarrassing. It's been a massive cluster**** since 2003 and your candy asses couldn't beat the flood of '97 like NDSU did.

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 05:26 PM

The summit will never have an at large team.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Your school is ****ing embarrassing. It's been a massive cluster**** since 2003 and your candy asses couldn't beat the flood of '97 like NDSU did.

Wow. Dude, just walk away. Breathe. Chop some wood....something.

Then get help.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:28 PM
This entire conversation has nothing to do with whether or not I want them. We are talking about a good Geographic fit. We are closer to them than the Big Sky schools so it is a great fit for them. They are outside of our current footprint so it is not a good Geographic fit for the conference as a whole. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp. If we can stretch the footprint in any direction there are quite a few teams that would be options. Would any of them want to join? Who knows?

You just said it yourself. "Stretch" the footprint in any direction. So, 75 miles north of Fargo is too much?

Like I said, I'm probably neutral on the whole possible addition of them but all the hate on them joining is comical. Maybe one school is leaving? We don't know....yet.

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 05:28 PM

People understood your side of the nickname thing at first. It's what came after and during the whole process that turned people against you.

This doesn't have to to be forced on us. We get to vote.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:30 PM
People understood your side of the nickname thing at first. It's what came after and during the whole process that turned people against you.

This doesn't have to to be forced on us. We get to vote.

Do you think UNI would vote No for their possible addition?

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 05:32 PM

He can't see past his nose when it comes to arguing. Best to ignore his comprehension deficits.

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 05:33 PM

They would be the biggest geographic outlier to all but 3 schools but they are a perfect geographic fit somehow. Duh

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 05:35 PM

Exactly. WGAF who else would join. We don't need another ****ing team. Especially one that would reset the extreme boundaries of he the co conference.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:35 PM
He can't see past his nose when it comes to arguing. Best to ignore his comprehension deficits.

Do you really believe that?

xeyebrowx

Laker
November 6th, 2016, 05:37 PM
76 miles from the FargoDome to the Alerus up I-29. An hour and nine minutes according to MapQuest. Not really very far.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 05:41 PM
76 miles from the FargoDome to the Alerus up I-29. An hour and nine minutes according to MapQuest. Not really very far.

I guess that 76 miles is way to far and will reset the extreme boundaries of the conference....xlolx

I'm neutral on the addition but all this doom and gloom from most on this is entertaining.

TennBison
November 6th, 2016, 05:45 PM
The real question should be does the MVFC need UND, or does UND need the MVFC. The people who vote need to think of what is good for the conference and nothing else. It is not the job of the MVFC to save UND from the financial disaster of travel expenses in the BS because of their location. Bad choices by UND in the past have put them into this mess. If they would have been smart and made the move with NDSU and SDSU and not mocked us for moving to DI they could have been in the MVFC and all would have been fine for them at this point. So my guess based on all the info available right now is that this move is not good for the MVFC and UND should not be allowed to join. UND is not some big name school that brings anything to the league and the number of teams in it right now is perfect and some could argue that it might be one team to many as it is.

Southern Bison
November 6th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Wow. Dude, just walk away. Breathe. Chop some wood....something.

Then get help.
I'm good...just don't need your ass in the MVFC. You're almost as stupid as ND4E.

Hammersmith
November 6th, 2016, 05:56 PM
I guess that 76 miles is way to far and will reset the extreme boundaries of the conference....xlolx

I'm neutral on the addition but all this doom and gloom from most on this is entertaining.

Seriously, don't you get it? Just because it's not a big deal for the Dakota schools, doesn't mean it isn't a big deal for the rest of the conference. The xDSUs pulled the league boundaries really far to the northwest. Then the line was tilted farther to squeeze USD in. Now you think it isn't a big deal to extend and tilt the boundary even farther? Don't think of it from a ND/MN perspective, look at it from a IN/IL/OH/MO perspective.

Adding UND is not adding 76 miles to the conference. It's adding 76 miles to NDSU.

It's adding the following miles to the rest:
265 SDSU
375 USD
530 UNI
740 WIU
770 ISUr
845 MSU
915 ISUb
975 SIU
1130 YSU

That's an average of 660 miles. And you think it's a good geographic fit for anyone without the word Dakota in the school name(70% of the conference)?

POD Knows
November 6th, 2016, 05:57 PM
I'm good...just don't need your ass in the MVFC. You're almost as stupid as ND4E.

UND should start a GoFundMe page so they can cover their travel costs in the BSC, ND4E can set it up.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Seriously, don't you get it? Just because it's not a big deal for the Dakota schools, doesn't mean it isn't a big deal for the rest of the conference. The xDSUs pulled the league boundaries really far to the northwest. Then the line was tilted farther to squeeze USD in. Now you think it isn't a big deal to extend and tilt the boundary even farther? Don't think of it from a ND/MN perspective, look at it from a IN/IL/OH/MO perspective.

Adding UND is not adding 76 miles to the conference. It's adding 76 miles to NDSU.

265 SDSU
375 USD
530 UNI
740 WIU
770 ISUr
845 MSU
915 ISUb
975 SIU
1130 YSU

That's an average of 660 miles. And you think it's a good geographic fit for anyone without the word Dakota in the school name(70% of the conference)?

Those schools bus to NDSU?

goyotes
November 6th, 2016, 06:06 PM
The MVFC needs a stable Summit League. UND adds stability to the Summit League.

dgtw
November 6th, 2016, 06:07 PM
I don't have a dog in the fight but if the conference leaders are involved i suspect it is a done deal.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Exactly. WGAF who else would join. We don't need another ****ing team. Especially one that would reset the extreme boundaries of he the co conference.

I know it's only a little over an hour from Fargo to Grand Forks. In the past I think you've done a comparison of the conference center point. How far would adding North Dakota shift the center of the conference?

Scratch that. I just realize that it's not some sort of average so adding another team for their in the northwest corner wouldn't really change much.

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 06:08 PM
For reference the geographic midnpoint of the MVFC is West Liberty, IA, which is just 20 min east of Iowa City. So the comps about WIu or UNI for travel are pretty on point for of UND fits as it's about 1:45 from both.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/acf16f716abb13da6ba0153f1a7dba79.jpg

Grand Forks is 522 miles, straight line from the mod point.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/dc47fb8db1a362836545da8e1e3e28ca.jpg

By comparison any school within the lines I've provided are a better geographic fit than UND

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/2927f7baf390385cdc7e8f29a2347bf7.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/20f1163f7fb626a715f1d58932dedf37.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/c26ae13bd1cbf5aaf84b802ce66bcdb9.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/3ac77cb39439b06ddb9ae7b99337c12c.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/75ae94ecaa77d22cc6dc13dc572b6c81.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/6e92003cfd119a3ec04af9fdeee8e6d5.jpg

I can't imagine any schools that far south or east getting much support from the Dakotas even though they all are actually closer to the weighted mid point than UND and just as close to the "true geomid"

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 06:09 PM

265 SDSU
375 USD
530 UNI
740 WIU
770 ISUr
845 MSU
915 ISUb
975 SIU
1130 YSU

I realize the extra miles for all of the other schools, not just the short distance for NDSU. This is a football only conference, these teams are not sending their other sports on multiple trips to the Dakotas throughout the year.

I don't know if UND is going to be added or not, I have said, I'm more neutral on it. But all of you that think this is such a bad idea, is it really that bad for the schools not with "Dakota in their name" to take an extra trip to the Dakotas per year?

If their ADs and presidents think it will be too expensive then I'm sure they will vote no: (UNI, WIU, MSU, Ill State, Ind State, SIU and YSU)

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 06:10 PM
I would love to add Central Arkansas, but I'm sure that isn't happening.

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 06:10 PM
And yes, one of those is directly on Marshall's stadium. Yup. ****ing Marshall is actually closer to the geomid point of the conference than UND. Would Marshall get the Dakota support?

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 06:12 PM
And yes, one of those is directly on Marshall's stadium. Yup. ****ing Marshall is actually closer to the geomid point of the conference than UND. Would Marshall get the Dakota support?

**** Marshall. xlolx

Too bad UNI took a big step backward on the rumor a little birdie told me.

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 06:14 PM
I would love to add Central Arkansas, but I'm sure that isn't happening.

They are just as in the footprint as UND

Actually, significantly closer. To UCAs stadium from the mid point.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/70a954b4c7fe9c17b6cbeb2afe5c5ce9.jpg

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 06:15 PM
**** Marshall. xlolx

Too bad UNI took a big step backward on the rumor a little birdie told me.

If your talking about me then o was just passing what I heard from those that know the program/department told me. I'm not about to spill names but they are about as close to the department as fans can get outside of the Derry family.

PantherRob82
November 6th, 2016, 06:18 PM
If your talking about me then o was just passing what I heard from those that know the program/department told me. I'm not about to spill names but they are about as close to the department as fans can get outside of the Derry family.

It seems pretty irrelevant at the moment given the way this season has gone. Support might be at an all-time low right now.

clenz
November 6th, 2016, 06:19 PM
If their ADs and presidents think it will be too expensive then I'm sure they will vote no: (UNI, WIU, MSU, Ill State, Ind State, SIU and YSU)

The thing is, that's not how simple this really is. Voting on something like this is actually quite complex and wheeling and dealing of "I'll vote his way if you do this and this for us in the future". Especially within other sports conference alignments.

As has been pointed out. There is about a 1% chance NDSU wants UND in. However, because of how his actually works the chances they vote no is about 0

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Who all buses to Fargo?

Redbird007
November 6th, 2016, 06:24 PM
The thing is, that's not how simple this really is. Voting on something like this is actually quite complex and wheeling and dealing of "I'll vote his way if you do this and this for us in the future". Especially within other sports conference alignments.

As has been pointed out. There is about a 1% chance NDSU wants UND in. However, because of how his actually works the chances they vote no is about 0

All emotions aside NDSU can't and should not vote NO is how I see it from an economic interest. Now from an emotional / rivalry perspective it is the complete opposite.