PDA

View Full Version : Selection Committee's First Top 10 Rankings (Guesses)

Samalum'10
November 1st, 2016, 01:10 PM
And Go.....

1. EWU
2. Jacksonville State
3. NDSU
4. SHSU
5. JMU
6. The Citadel
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. Charleston Southern
10. North Dakota

FWIW, I found #10 was more difficult placing than #1-4

RootinFerDukes
November 1st, 2016, 01:21 PM
Aside from UND, not too far off from our AGS poll this week.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 1st, 2016, 01:26 PM
Hmm, I swear I've something very similar recently here as well. xlolx

Good for UND being up in the top 10 there and having a serious shot at a seed.

BTW, it is gonna be interesting to see if other polls start to come around and ballots start changing.

Professor Chaos
November 1st, 2016, 01:26 PM
I'd be very surprised if EWU and NDSU aren't #1 and #2. Not quite sure in what order though.

BigSouthFan
November 1st, 2016, 01:30 PM
1. EWU
2. Jax State
3. NDSU
4. Sammy
5. The Citadel
6. JMU
7. Richmond
8. Chuck South
9. Chattanooga
10. Samford

I agree, 10 was the hardest for me. As well as 4-6. Cal Poly is deserving. UCA is deserving but the head to head loss with Samford steered me away. Outside of SEC Mississippi State which they played tight, Samford's only loss is against another Top 10 team. Same goes for Chuck South and Chattanooga (their only other loss should be Bama). Loss to ISU this past weekend steered me away from a SDSU nod as well. Many teams deserving of that 10 spot.

My question is, do 2 out of the 3 teams holding rankings 8-10 (barring they win out in FCS competiton) get seeded since JMU or Richmond HAS to lose this weekend? Or does the committee keep JMU and Richmond seeded and avoid the "bad timing" loss thought that the FBS carries? Btw, JMU has a tough road to the finish coming up.

Samalum'10
November 1st, 2016, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I think AGS is on the money #1-4(I know, head to head blah blah blah). I don't like Chuck South at #8, but seems like all the polls have them and Chatty #8/9. I may be a week too early on UND but oh well.

Not exactly my top ten, but my educated guess as to what the committee will say.

BigSouthFan
November 1st, 2016, 01:32 PM
Hmm, I swear I've something very similar recently here as well. xlolx

Good for UND being up in the top 10 there and having a serious shot at a seed.

BTW, it is gonna be interesting to see if other polls start to come around and ballots start changing.

I don't believe this is official, I think it is a guess at it.

F'N Hawks
November 1st, 2016, 02:16 PM
And Go.....

1. EWU
2. Jacksonville State
3. NDSU
4. SHSU
5. JMU
6. The Citadel
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. Charleston Southern
10. North Dakota

FWIW, I found #10 was more difficult placing than #1-4

Once again, why is Charleston Southern in the Top 10? People give grief to Sammy over their wins, my gawd, look at Chuck's.

FWIW, I would NOT place UND in the Top 10 right now. Maybe 12-15 range.

ASU33
November 1st, 2016, 02:24 PM
Once again, why is Charleston Southern in the Top 10? People give grief to Sammy over their wins, my gawd, look at Chuck's.

I think Chuck South is getting a lot of credit for pushing NDSU to OT.

BisonTru
November 1st, 2016, 02:28 PM
My guess

1. Eastern Washington
2. NDSU
3. Jacksonville St
4. The Citadel
5. SHSU
6. Richmond
7. Charleston Southern
8. James Madison
9. Chattanooga
10. Central Arkansas

- - - Updated - - -

As they should. We learned a lot more about that squad than Sammy beating up on the Panhandle of OK.

They also beat Coastal Carolina on the road. Nobody has any issue with JSU and they beat Coastal by the same margin just at home.

BigSouthFan
November 1st, 2016, 02:33 PM
As they should. We learned a lot more about that squad than Sammy beating up on the Panhandle of OK.

They also beat Coastal Carolina on the road. Nobody has any issue with JSU and they beat Coastal by the same margin just at home.

What a point. When you're right, you're right. xnodx

F'N Hawks
November 1st, 2016, 02:33 PM
My Top 10 Prediction:

1. NDSU
2. EWU
3. Jacksonville State
4. The Citadel
5. JMU
6. Sam Houston State
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. South Dakota State
10. Central Arkansas

I tried to use Massey to help me out with numbers (like SOS), their recent success (bias), and top-end wins.

Sammy94
November 1st, 2016, 02:48 PM

Quality losses, you don't have to win with many folks.

centennial
November 1st, 2016, 03:00 PM
Quality losses, you don't have to win with many folks.

Better than playing a D2 schedule.

FargoBison
November 1st, 2016, 03:01 PM
1. NDSU
2. EWU
3. SHSU
4. JSU
5. The Citadel
6. JMU
7. Richmond
8. CSU
9. Chattanooga
10. Cal Poly

I could go either way with NDSU and EWU.

Things get messy at the bottom. I'm still very impressed with CP's road win at SDSU, tough place to win. Probably one of the better road wins in the FCS this year. Of course for CP to stay there or move up they will need to earn it by beating EWU, no easy task.

JSUSoutherner
November 1st, 2016, 03:01 PM
My guess

1. Eastern Washington
2. NDSU
3. Jacksonville St
4. The Citadel
5. SHSU
6. Richmond
7. Charleston Southern
8. James Madison
9. Chattanooga
10. Central Arkansas

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah unfortunately for us we played like garbage in that game. We're finally starting to click but no ones left on our schedule where we can really prove it. If we played Coastal like we played EIU or Liberty it would have been ugly.

BisonFan02
November 1st, 2016, 03:02 PM
Better than playing a D2 schedule.

Hey now....at least they aren't losing to that D2 schedule anymore.

BEAR
November 1st, 2016, 03:06 PM
I'd put UCA at #10 too. Tough early season loss to Samford and should win the next 2. That would put them at 9-1. The Samford game just kills me. Check out these stats... http://www.ucasports.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=1828 xbawlingx

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2016, 03:11 PM
1. NDSU
2. EWU
3. SHSU
4. JSU
5. The Citadel
6. JMU
7. Richmond
8. CSU
9. Chattanooga
10. Cal Poly

I could go either way with NDSU and EWU.

Things get messy at the bottom. I'm still very impressed with CP's road win at SDSU, tough place to win. Probably one of the better road wins in the FCS this year. Of course for CP to stay there or move up they will need to earn it by beating EWU, no easy task.

CP above UND though? I guess you can do that since CP's best wins are Montana and SDSU where as UND's best wins are CP and USD. That is really actually kind of tough. Get's a little sticky really.

ysubigred
November 1st, 2016, 03:13 PM
Not to sound like a homer here but,,, where would YSU end up going 9-2 (8-1 in the MVFC) xeyebrowx

JSUSoutherner
November 1st, 2016, 03:16 PM
#PrayingForATopTwoSeed

FargoBison
November 1st, 2016, 03:21 PM
CP above UND though? I guess you can do that since CP's best wins are Montana and SDSU where as UND's best wins are CP and USD. That is really actually kind of tough. Get's a little sticky really.

It was more about CP over UCA...I'm just not sure about UND. I realize they beat CP but CP was missing a key player.

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2016, 03:34 PM
This thread was terribly titled. Makes it seem like the official rankings. It has nothing to do with the selection committee at all. BOOOOOOO!

xflaggedx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 1st, 2016, 03:43 PM
I don't believe this is official, I think it is a guess at it.

Oh, I gotit. I assumed he was putting up official ranking. IN MY FACE!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 1st, 2016, 03:46 PM
This thread was terribly titled. Makes it seem like the official rankings. It has nothing to do with the selection committee at all. BOOOOOOO!

xflaggedx

Yes, putting a question mark at the end would have been a nice addition. I'm adding that now.

grizband
November 1st, 2016, 04:05 PM
It was more about CP over UCA...I'm just not sure about UND. I realize they beat CP but CP was missing a key player.
Heard about that...it was a full back right?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 1st, 2016, 04:24 PM
Where will the rankings be released? And when?

ex189
November 1st, 2016, 04:31 PM
1. EWU
2. JSU
3. NDSU
4. SHSU
5. The Citadel
6. JMU
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. CSU
10.SDSU

Professor Chaos
November 1st, 2016, 04:36 PM
Where will the rankings be released? And when?
During the Thursday 3PM ET broadcast of College Football Live on ESPNU.

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2016, 04:42 PM
1. Harvard
2. UNI
3. NDSU
4. Samford
5. Mexican University
6. San Diego
7. UND
8. EWU
9. Kevin Bacon
10. Casey's Breakfast Pizza

CappinHard
November 1st, 2016, 05:00 PM
Not to sound like a homer here but,,, where would YSU end up going 9-2 (8-1 in the MVFC) xeyebrowx

Legit question... If this happens, I think YSU gets a seed without a doubt, maybe 4-6 range? The bigger question would be if NDSU would still hold onto a seed. I would think so... maybe at 5-8?

Bisonator
November 1st, 2016, 05:37 PM
1. NDSU
2. EWU
3. JSU
4. The Citadel
5. SHSU
6. JMU
7. Richmond
8. CSU
9. Doesn't matter
10. Ditto

Katfan
November 1st, 2016, 05:40 PM
Does anyone think the committee uses RPI? I know it baseball and basketball they utilize it quite extensively

Professor Chaos
November 1st, 2016, 05:59 PM
Does anyone think the committee uses RPI? I know it baseball and basketball they utilize it quite extensively
They claim they use the SRS (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system). Which is worse than the RPI. However, they definitely don't follow it that closely (if they use it at all).

ST_Lawson
November 1st, 2016, 07:33 PM
1. Harvard
2. UNI
3. NDSU
4. Samford
5. Mexican University
6. San Diego
7. UND
8. EWU
9. Kevin Bacon

I see that the Abilene Christian ballgirl just barely missed the cut.

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2016, 07:39 PM

Weak SOS

Twentysix
November 1st, 2016, 07:40 PM
1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Eastern Washington Eagles
3: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
4: The Citadel Bulldogs
5: Sam Houston State Bearkats
6: James Madison Dukes
7: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
8: Richmond Spiders
9: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
10: Charleston Southern Buccaneers

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2016, 07:58 PM
What is he point of this thread? Assuming you vote in the AGS poll, is it not your same TOP 10?

Twentysix
November 1st, 2016, 08:12 PM
1. NDSU
2. EWU
3. JSU
4. The Citadel
5. SHSU
6. JMU
7. Richmond
8. CSU
9. Doesn't matter
10. Ditto

We have a nearly identical top 8, but I bump CSU for UND.

- - - Updated - - -

What is he point of this thread? Assuming you vote in the AGS poll, is it not your same TOP 10?

for me it is not

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2016, 08:17 PM

- - - Updated - - -

for me it is not

That seems silly. What's the difference?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2016, 08:41 PM

- - - Updated - - -

for me it is not

Please explain.

CID1990
November 1st, 2016, 08:51 PM
1. EWU
2. Jax State
3. NDSU
4. Sammy
5. The Citadel
6. JMU
7. Richmond
8. Chuck South
9. Chattanooga
10. Samford

I agree, 10 was the hardest for me. As well as 4-6. Cal Poly is deserving. UCA is deserving but the head to head loss with Samford steered me away. Outside of SEC Mississippi State which they played tight, Samford's only loss is against another Top 10 team. Same goes for Chuck South and Chattanooga (their only other loss should be Bama). Loss to ISU this past weekend steered me away from a SDSU nod as well. Many teams deserving of that 10 spot.

My question is, do 2 out of the 3 teams holding rankings 8-10 (barring they win out in FCS competiton) get seeded since JMU or Richmond HAS to lose this weekend? Or does the committee keep JMU and Richmond seeded and avoid the "bad timing" loss thought that the FBS carries? Btw, JMU has a tough road to the finish coming up.

I don't see how Samford and El Cid can wind up in those positions. If The Citadel wins this Saturday's game, then Samford certainly won't be seeded higher. I'll assume you are picking a Samford win, in which case The Citadel most likely wouldn't be seeded higher than 7th, and possibly not at all.

Unless you're assuming a loss to Samford and a win over UNC, in which case yeah, ok!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red & Black
November 1st, 2016, 08:58 PM
Please explain.

It is an attempt to identify who they believe the committee will select for the various seeds, whereas the poll would be who they personally believed belonged where.

CappinHard
November 1st, 2016, 10:40 PM
I don't see how Samford and El Cid can wind up in those positions. If The Citadel wins this Saturday's game, then Samford certainly won't be seeded higher. I'll assume you are picking a Samford win, in which case The Citadel most likely wouldn't be seeded higher than 7th, and possibly not at all.

Unless you're assuming a loss to Samford and a win over UNC, in which case yeah, ok!

These guesses are based on what they think the committee will come out with on Thursday. They have nothing to do with what they think the seeds or committee rankings will be after this weekend or at the end of the regular season.

Bisonwinagn
November 1st, 2016, 10:52 PM
It is an attempt to identify who they believe the committee will select for the various seeds, whereas the poll would be who they personally believed belonged where.

This is not true. Polls are based on what have you done for me lately. Playoff seeds will be evaluated for the full body of work and a teams resume which clearly will be different.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2016, 10:58 PM
This is not true. Polls are based on what have you done for me lately. Playoff seeds will be evaluated for the full body of work and a teams resume which clearly will be different.

I'm getting dizzy. So if a team is 4-4 but "playing great football right now", you might rate them ahead of a 7-1 or 6-2 team in your poll, all other things equal?

Bucs2016
November 1st, 2016, 11:22 PM

CSU is in the top 10 because in the last 20 games they've only lost to North Dakota State in OT, Florida State, Alabama, and Jacksonville State. They've beat top 6 Citadel twice, top 15 Coastal twice, and Liberty once. And beat everyone else.

They've proven they are a top 15 team on the field. Many think top 10.

Bucs2016
November 1st, 2016, 11:27 PM

Could you imagine if CSU and Citadel BOTH got seeded with home playoff games??? 2 FCS playoff games in Charleston at same time would be amazing and there's a solid chance of it. Hopefully they'd kickoff at different times far apart because I'd love to attend both.

geaux_sioux
November 1st, 2016, 11:47 PM
They certainly passed the eye test for me. They are a legit team.

CappinHard
November 2nd, 2016, 12:18 AM
CSU is in the top 10 because in the last 20 games they've only lost to North Dakota State in OT, Florida State, Alabama, and Jacksonville State. They've beat top 6 Citadel twice, top 15 Coastal twice, and Liberty once. And beat everyone else.

They've proven they are a top 15 team on the field. Many think top 10.

They might not show up on the top 10 yet, but they are right outside of it, and the nice thing is you control your own destiny for a seed. Win out and it's yours. Lose 1 and I don't think a seed happens. I wish SDSU was in that situation, however I think they need to win out and get some help before they end up in any serious seed talks.

BigSouthFan
November 2nd, 2016, 12:24 AM
These guesses are based on what they think the committee will come out with on Thursday. They have nothing to do with what they think the seeds or committee rankings will be after this weekend or at the end of the regular season.

Thanks.

grizband
November 2nd, 2016, 12:31 AM
Could you imagine if CSU and Citadel BOTH got seeded with home playoff games??? 2 FCS playoff games in Charleston at same time would be amazing and there's a solid chance of it. Hopefully they'd kickoff at different times far apart because I'd love to attend both.
If that scenario comes to pass, what's the chance the games aren't played on the same day.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The Pud
November 2nd, 2016, 01:16 AM
I think Sammy will get the No. 2 or 3 seed, ahead of Chattanoga and Citadel and JSU, all have soft SOS similar to Sammy, but Sammy has demonstrated more dominance in its wins and have a lot of players back from their semi-finals appearance last year.

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 01:30 AM
So let me get this straight...

I've been reading post after post for a week from all the fans of High Seeded teams from last year crying and crying about how the Selection Committee routinely screws over the high seeds by giving them hard match ups, and all the unseeded teams get all the easy matchups in the playoffs.

And yet now your telling me to ignore all the other major polls and start paying attention to the rankings of the "All Knowing Selection Committee"???

That makes as much sense as the other garbage i've tried to read i suppose.

So are we agreeing that when this rankings comes out that that is what it is and that's that? Because if that's the case, then that's cool, let's live with it and let the playoffs decide the best.

So then when this same committee makes the matchups, everyone needs to try to be a big boy and live with it and stop using it as an excuse if you trust them so much.

"I'll not be pawed at. I have not yet begun to defile myself"

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 2nd, 2016, 01:56 AM
The best teams will win. NDSU has had some tough teams en route to how many NC titles now in a row? Seeding only matters for the advantage of the home game. But even that is not insurmountable. JMU used 3 consecutive playoff road wins in 2004 to win its only national championship.

At the end of the day, I do believe the SC looks at attendance and revenue potential as a factor if there are some disagreements about seeding one team over another.

So here's my list:
1. EWU
2. NDSU
3. SHSU
4. JSU
5. The Citadel
6. JMU
7. Richmond
8. UT-Chattanooga
9. UND
10. CAU

I think EWU and NDSU will be rated highest to date even with 1 loss due to SOS being so dominant compared to JSU and SHSU. This is obviously not a predictor of where things will be at season's end - a lot of football left starting with JMU@UR this Saturday!

Thumper 76
November 2nd, 2016, 03:13 AM

I've been reading post after post for a week from all the fans of High Seeded teams from last year crying and crying about how the Selection Committee routinely screws over the high seeds by giving them hard match ups, and all the unseeded teams get all the easy matchups in the playoffs.

And yet now your telling me to ignore all the other major polls and start paying attention to the rankings of the "All Knowing Selection Committee"???

So are we agreeing that when this rankings comes out that that is what it is and that's that? Because if that's the case, then that's cool, let's live with it and let the playoffs decide the best.

So then when this same committee makes the matchups, everyone needs to try to be a big boy and live with it and stop using it as an excuse if you trust them so much.

Congrats, you just proved how out of touch you are. Again. Theres nothing about trusting the committee in this thread. Its about guessing what they will think the committee will have as their seeds. Nobody says they will like it, but its usually not about the seeds that they are pissed about. Way to pay attention. Good on ya.

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 03:38 AM
Congrats, you just proved how out of touch you are. Again. Theres nothing about trusting the committee in this thread. Its about guessing what they will think the committee will have as their seeds. Nobody says they will like it, but its usually not about the seeds that they are pissed about. Way to pay attention. Good on ya.

That's why I was asking..."Let me get this straight."

Wanted gauge the feelings.

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 03:39 AM
I'll make sure to email the Committee: "Please give high seeds and easy games to all the teams that suffer through the MVFC"

POD Knows
November 2nd, 2016, 06:12 AM
I'll make sure to email the Committee: "Please give high seeds and easy games to all the teams that suffer through the MVFC"

Thank you, we appreciate it. It is a long season up here, we need a break for the first couple weeks of the playoffs. Anything you can do would be appreciated.

kalm
November 2nd, 2016, 07:39 AM
I think Sammy will get the No. 2 or 3 seed, ahead of Chattanoga and Citadel and JSU, all have soft SOS similar to Sammy, but Sammy has demonstrated more dominance in its wins and have a lot of players back from their semi-finals appearance last year.

It would be interesting to see how this plays out especially if The Citadel and JSU finish 10-1. All 3 would be undefeated in FCS, the Citadel and JSU would have 2-3 quality wins (depending on Wofford, Samford, Liberty, and UTM, and EIU finish), plus wins against CCU and UTC that would be as high quality as Sam's against UCA is. So it boils down to margin of vicotry vs. SoS and possibly one to two more quality wins?

Milktruck74
November 2nd, 2016, 08:47 AM
There is a chance that the SoCon has two seeded teams and MVFC only has one. Wow...talk about a shake up. Now,that said, the SoCon may only have two teams in (possibly 3...and if you are smoking crack you will tell me how 4 are getting in), and MVFC should have 4 (they have beat up on each other a little). I'm not comparing conferences top to bottom, but it is very interesting. Keep in mind,there is still plenty of football after this top 10 comes out.

ElCid
November 2nd, 2016, 09:17 AM

Not even close.

According to both Massey and Sagarin, UTC, The Citadel and JSUs schedule are vastly higher than SHSU's SOS. And according to Massey, that includes the predicted final SOS.

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605

Twentysix
November 2nd, 2016, 09:56 AM
Please explain.

I think ndsu at 10-1 will get the #1 seed over ewu. Ndsu is not currently my #1 on ags

kalm
November 2nd, 2016, 10:00 AM
I think ndsu at 10-1 will get the #1 seed over ewu. Ndsu is not currently my #1 on ags

I think so to. The only way that changes would be for NAU and UNC to finish strong and even then it probably wouldn't be enough. And they both have tough games remaining.

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2016, 10:03 AM
You can predict it however you want but I'm pretty sure the OP's intent was to predict what the top 10 will be when the selection committee releases it tomorrow afternoon. I hope they're not trying to guess how the last 3 weeks will shake out when making those rankings and are just looking at the season to this point.

BigSouthFan
November 2nd, 2016, 10:16 AM
You can predict it however you want but I'm pretty sure the OP's intent was to predict what the top 10 will be when the selection committee releases it tomorrow afternoon. I hope they're not trying to guess how the last 3 weeks will shake out when making those rankings and are just looking at the season to this point.Valid. I believe that was the OP's intent. Because I surely have JMU listed at 6 and Richmond at 7, yet I predict a JMU win this weekend and will have Richmond drop out of the top 8 and JMU move up a spot or two. But the rankings come out tomorrow.

Twentysix
November 2nd, 2016, 10:17 AM
You can predict it however you want but I'm pretty sure the OP's intent was to predict what the top 10 will be when the selection committee releases it tomorrow afternoon. I hope they're not trying to guess how the last 3 weeks will shake out when making those rankings and are just looking at the season to this point.

You are certainly right.

flyrod
November 2nd, 2016, 10:26 AM

Exactly.
IT's how they line up at this point in time....

similar to how the FBS has them lined up... (you dont think the 4 they picked will remain the same come end of the season for the final 4) same applies to the FCS rankings

not considering the games to come. they will be adjusted the next time the rankings come out....Lots can change and lots could stay the same all depends on what transpires on Any Given Saturday

Bucs2016
November 2nd, 2016, 10:43 AM
Not even close.

According to both Massey and Sagarin, UTC, The Citadel and JSUs schedule are vastly higher than SHSU's SOS. And according to Massey, that includes the predicted final SOS.

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605

WOW....shocked to see Charleston Southern strength of schedule ranked 18th. That's the biggest knock on CSU...yet Massey has them at 18th SOS.

F'N Hawks
November 2nd, 2016, 10:55 AM
WOW....shocked to see Charleston Southern strength of schedule ranked 18th. That's the biggest knock on CSU...yet Massey has them at 18th SOS.

Thanks, Florida State. Which is a guaranteed loss, congratulations.

dewey
November 2nd, 2016, 11:13 AM
Thanks, Florida State. Which is a guaranteed loss, congratulations.

Too bad there isn't a total schedule SOS and a FCS SOS. Just because a SOS can be so skewed by an Alabama, Florida State or top 10 FBS teams.

Dewey

centennial
November 2nd, 2016, 11:20 AM
Too bad there isn't a total schedule SOS and a FCS SOS. Just because a SOS can be so skewed by an Alabama, Florida State or top 10 FBS teams.

Dewey

It's 1/11th of the schedule. Playing Alabama moves most team up 20ish spots at best. Really it isn't that bad, I played with the numbers a few days ago.

dewey
November 2nd, 2016, 11:23 AM
It's 1/11th of the schedule. Playing Alabama moves most team up 20ish spots at best. Really it isn't that bad, I played with the numbers a few days ago.

Good stuff. Thanks for the information.

Dewey

UNIFanSince1983
November 2nd, 2016, 11:37 AM
CSU does have 3 really good games on their schedule. NDSU(41), FSU(16), and CCU(115).

These bring up their SOS. Then the fact that the Big South also gets to play CSU and CCU bring up the rest of the conference SOS which then brings up CSU SOS. Plus I am not sure most people rag on the SOS of CSU per say. Mostly that they play in a weak conference (which they do).

CappinHard
November 2nd, 2016, 11:56 AM

It's not that we trust them to make the right decisions, we will still b*tch about them no matter what, that's what we do. However, these rankings mean WAYYY more than any other poll, so in actuality people will probably moan and groan more than normal. That should be fun!

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/68336135.jpg

Thumper 76
November 2nd, 2016, 12:35 PM
It's not that we trust them to make the right decisions, we will still b*tch about them no matter what, that's what we do. However, these rankings mean WAYYY more than any other poll, so in actuality people will probably moan and groan more than normal. That should be fun!

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/68336135.jpg
It will have EXTRA pissing and EXTRA moaning xlolx

X-Factor
November 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
Just listened to the FCS committee chair on Bison Media Blog. He made it very clear that this year the committee is putting emphasis on SOS, and in particular OOC games. Also they will look closely at minimizing regionalization and picking the right field of teams. That is good news! Take that how you like, but it tells me that the top 2 teams right now are easily EWU and NDSU. Filling out the brackets should be a lot more fun this year, I'm looking forward to it!

Thumper 76
November 2nd, 2016, 12:44 PM
Just listened to the FCS committee chair on Bison Media Blog. He made it very clear that this year the committee is putting emphasis on SOS, and in particular OOC games. Also they will look closely at minimizing regionalization and picking the right field of teams. That is good news! Take that how you like, but it tells me that the top 2 teams right now are easily EWU and NDSU. Filling out the brackets should be a lot more fun this year, I'm looking forward to it!
With the window dressing rule about regionalization they put in to make people feel good over the summer, Ill believe it when I see it xcoffeex

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2016, 12:52 PM
It will have EXTRA pissing and EXTRA moaning xlolx
I'm going to be drinking water and eating asparagus all morning to get myself ready!

CappinHard
November 2nd, 2016, 12:57 PM
He made it very clear that this year the committee is putting emphasis on SOS...

SHSU fans everywhere shudder.

Redbird007
November 2nd, 2016, 12:59 PM

Good to hear the selection committee is openly announcing what many of us believe is a key criteria, SOS. Since the selection committee is now on record of that criteria we can give perennial fcs regular season power teams a light hall pass for having a weak schedule for another year but by 2018 and beyond they should be judged harshly if they do not have some INTENDED stiff OOC competition. I say intended because of the obvious problem....if a good traditional strong football team(s) on their schedule happens to be weak that year. Scheduling tough teams is not a requirement but FCS playoff schools should NOT receive a high seed if they are not willing to prove they deserve it.

X-Factor
November 2nd, 2016, 04:15 PM
With the window dressing rule about regionalization they put in to make people feel good over the summer, Ill believe it when I see it xcoffeex

Oh I hear you. I don't think it is going to be perfect, but hopefully an improvement over last few years debacles. The chair even slipped in a comment about trying to avoid regular season rematches in the 2nd round. I'm highly suspicious of that, but cautiously optimistic.

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 05:25 PM
SHSU fans everywhere shudder.

Eh. It is what it is. It's FCS sports after all. Anyone in the dance has a shot.

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 05:27 PM
I'm very much in favor of minimizing regionalization. If for no other reason that we deal with enough of that already. Getting to the playoffs is a chance to pit your skills against the nation. Not just Conference rematches. That honestly sucks to me.

jacksfan29
November 2nd, 2016, 05:40 PM
Oh I hear you. I don't think it is going to be perfect, but hopefully an improvement over last few years debacles. The chair even slipped in a comment about trying to avoid regular season rematches in the 2nd round. I'm highly suspicious of that, but cautiously optimistic.

UND need to hope for a seed. I heard that same comment and it would seem to indicate they will at least try and not place SDSU in a position to head to Fargo for the 2nd round. A seedless UND will likely end up playing in Missoula for the honor of heading to Fargo for round 2.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2016, 05:57 PM

Translation: No matter how many losses they have we're taking 5 MVFC teams so be prepared for a 5-6 UNI or 5-6 Illinois State to make it in the field

Translation: No matter how trash your OOC schedule actually is, if you have an FBS team on there you're good, so when Sam Houston State is sent on the road Week 1 don't be surprised

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 2nd, 2016, 06:02 PM

Sounds like JMU will be travelling to an OVC school on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2016, 06:12 PM
Sounds like JMU will be travelling to an OVC school on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Nah, they just check Sagarin. Their game vs. UNC will be good for 100 Bonus Schedule Strength Points

Katfan
November 2nd, 2016, 06:12 PM
Translation: No matter how many losses they have we're taking 5 MVFC teams so be prepared for a 5-6 UNI or 5-6 Illinois State to make it in the field

Translation: No matter how trash your OOC schedule actually is, if you have an FBS team on there you're good, so when Sam Houston State is sent on the road Week 1 don't be surprised
If we're not seeded, I doubt we'd be on the road because that comes down to the bid and I do know we always bid very competitively.

Hammersmith
November 2nd, 2016, 07:18 PM

Seems a little too convenient. Guy getting interviewed by an NDSU beat reporter just happens to say the committee will be strongly looking at the exact things that NDSU has been good at or wants? Feels like he's playing to the audience. Wonder if he'd say the same things talking to a SHSU beat reporter? Or would he stress number of wins and convincing victories?

No_Skill
November 2nd, 2016, 08:22 PM
Seems a little too convenient. Guy getting interviewed by an NDSU beat reporter just happens to say the committee will be strongly looking at the exact things that NDSU has been good at or wants? Feels like he's playing to the audience. Wonder if he'd say the same things talking to a SHSU beat reporter? Or would he stress number of wins and convincing victories?

I'm with you. I won't believe anything until selection Sunday.

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2016, 08:46 PM
SOS was clearly important last year, so I can believe that. The regionaliztion part though is something I am very skeptical about.

MacThor
November 2nd, 2016, 09:00 PM
Good to hear the selection committee is openly announcing what many of us believe is a key criteria, SOS. Since the selection committee is now on record of that criteria we can give perennial fcs regular season power teams a light hall pass for having a weak schedule for another year but by 2018 and beyond they should be judged harshly if they do not have some INTENDED stiff OOC competition. I say intended because of the obvious problem....if a good traditional strong football team(s) on their schedule happens to be weak that year. Scheduling tough teams is not a requirement but FCS playoff schools should NOT receive a high seed if they are not willing to prove they deserve it.

That's tricky. In most cases OOC games are scheduled years in advance.

UNHWildcat18
November 2nd, 2016, 09:53 PM
I think NDSU fans are going to burn the committee building down when SHSU and JSU get 1/2 for going undefeated in FCS play(if they do). I can feel it, the committee secretly doesn't want a semi in Fargo for a 6th year in a row. (yeah yeah fargo dome= great atmosphere for TV I know)

Red & Black
November 2nd, 2016, 10:01 PM
I think NDSU fans are going to burn the committee building down when SHSU and JSU get 1/2 for going undefeated in FCS play(if they do). I can feel it, the committee secretly doesn't want a semi in Fargo for a 6th year in a row. (yeah yeah fargo dome= great atmosphere for TV I know)

I don't believe it. P5 wins for both NDSU and EWU matter.

UNHWildcat18
November 2nd, 2016, 10:11 PM

Coaches poll have NDSU at 4 and EWU at 3 on ESPN :D I do obviously agree with SOS and FBS wins counting for a lot, just have a gut feeling. This is all granted everyone wins out, any of the 4 teams could easily lose and shake things up.

Southern Bison
November 2nd, 2016, 10:13 PM

Weak SOS
SOS in this case is Spit or Swallow??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dudeitsaid
November 2nd, 2016, 10:38 PM

I think you have some really good points, and brings to mind something that's been debated on the EWU boards, and I've seen some UNI fans discuss here. There is a thought that when you play in a tough conference (one of the top rated four or five), that you should schedule soft OOC games, as your conference games will take care of the SOS question. The fear for many EWU fans was that the very challenging OOC games we played would knock us out of a good spot regarding playoff contention or possibility of a seed before the conference season even began. For UNI, that is certainly their reality. They are arguably a good team that may have scheduled themselves out of a late season surge into the playoffs.

Another thought, and I think you addressed it with the word "INTENDED" is that when schedules are made, sometimes those games can be several years out. The quality of a team can change dramatically in the span of a couple of years. Heck, look at MSU or PSU from the Big Sky Conference. Schedules may have been set last year with that thought in mind, but who knows what those teams will be like next year, or the next couple of years (personally, I think MSU will come back to prominence, and PSU will remain in mediocrity.) Additionally, I'd be interested in knowing how you measure "intention".

I'm not saying to leave SOS out at all. Teams should be rewarded for beating tough competition. Just saying that it's not always entirely within a team's control.

kalm
November 3rd, 2016, 07:33 AM
I think you have some really good points, and brings to mind something that's been debated on the EWU boards, and I've seen some UNI fans discuss here. There is a thought that when you play in a tough conference (one of the top rated four or five), that you should schedule soft OOC games, as your conference games will take care of the SOS question. The fear for many EWU fans was that the very challenging OOC games we played would knock us out of a good spot regarding playoff contention or possibility of a seed before the conference season even began. For UNI, that is certainly their reality. They are arguably a good team that may have scheduled themselves out of a late season surge into the playoffs.

Another thought, and I think you addressed it with the word "INTENDED" is that when schedules are made, sometimes those games can be several years out. The quality of a team can change dramatically in the span of a couple of years. Heck, look at MSU or PSU from the Big Sky Conference. Schedules may have been set last year with that thought in mind, but who knows what those teams will be like next year, or the next couple of years (personally, I think MSU will come back to prominence, and PSU will remain in mediocrity.) Additionally, I'd be interested in knowing how you measure "intention".

I'm not saying to leave SOS out at all. Teams should be rewarded for beating tough competition. Just saying that it's not always entirely within a team's control.

I would like to think "intention" in scheduling has very little to do with the seeding and selections. Of course it's not SHSU's fault that UNM backed out of an obligation, but at the end of the day, they still have only played one good team. It's not as if they're not going to get seeded...it just may be below a couple of teams who won against superior competition. The same is true for years where your marquee wins on paper end up not being as valuable. Should other teams vying for playoff spots be punished because one of your opponents ended up not being good that year? No.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2016, 07:40 AM
SOS is a ****ing farce xeyebrowx YSU's SOS went down from 6 to 7 when WVU lost xrolleyesx

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2016, 07:41 AM

That has to be the fastest white guy I've ever seen in you Signature block area xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
November 3rd, 2016, 09:57 AM
1. Harvard
2. UNI
3. NDSU
4. Samford
5. Mexican University
6. San Diego
7. UND
8. EWU
9. Kevin Bacon

Grambling should be 1 or 2 there Rob?

Bison56
November 3rd, 2016, 10:07 AM
1. Harvard
2. UNI
3. NDSU
4. Samford
5. Mexican University
6. San Diego
7. UND
8. EWU
9. Kevin Bacon

No way, I mean no way, Casey's Breakfast Pizza isn't in the top 2. I'm not sure what your trying to prove here, or maybe you're just looking for attention, but I think this is pure BS. Take your agenda elsewhere sir, we will not have that here.

F'N Hawks
November 3rd, 2016, 10:09 AM
No way, I mean no way, Casey's Breakfast Pizza isn't in the top 2. I'm not sure what your trying to prove here, or maybe you're just looking for attention, but I think this is pure BS. Take your agenda elsewhere sir, we will not have that here.

I do see that people get free breadsticks with the purchase of a large pizza. How does this tie into which MVFC team will win this weekend? I have some theories but there are a couple dots unconnected........

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
Mexican U's tequila is top-notch

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2016, 10:22 AM

It had too much bacon.

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 10:24 AM
Now, I am guessing that it is the Kevin Bacon Strips......with this on the helmet:

http://ghk.h-cdn.co/assets/16/08/980x490/landscape-1456165374-bacon-strips.jpg

Bison56
November 3rd, 2016, 11:07 AM
It had too much bacon.

Now you've done it.xslapfightx

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
We should know in like 3 hours.

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2016, 11:46 AM
It had too much bacon.

are you going to put forth the effort and write in Bernie, or take the easy route and vote for Jill Stein? Cause you ain't even Merica nuff to vote for Hillary, let alone The Donald!!!!

CappinHard
November 3rd, 2016, 11:53 AM
It had too much bacon.

Can we keep food talk to the food thread... I mean the MVFC thread.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 12:18 PM

Ok. Not sure if you mean this or if it's a joke.

I would think that ESPN would be lining up to shell out cash for the FCS to play as many games in Fargo as possible. Awesome town. Awesome facility. Awesome team with national recognition. Bison are a household name. Zero chance they get snubbed if it's close IMHO.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2016, 12:26 PM

I would think that ESPN would be lining up to shell out cash for the FCS to play as many games in Fargo as possible. Awesome town. Awesome facility. Awesome team with national recognition. Bison are a household name. Zero chance they get snubbed if it's close IMHO.

xhomerx

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 12:27 PM

xhomerx
Ok, now I've seen it all.

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2016, 12:58 PM
Ok, now I've seen it all.

It's trollception.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 01:04 PM
Que?

Schism55
November 3rd, 2016, 01:19 PM
It's trollception.
Its a troll within a troll within a troll xlolx

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 01:38 PM
You guys are too gun shy. lololol

I have tons of respect for NDSU football program. Some of their fans? Another story.

Old MK had a co worker that recently retired who was a NDSU grad. He was telling me stories of the old days on the tundra vs Minnesota at Dakota stadium. He made me wear a Bison tie to work the monday after the 2011 natty.

Redbird007
November 3rd, 2016, 01:47 PM
Its a troll within a troll within a troll xlolx

a MATRYOSHKA TROLL!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23801&stc=1

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2016, 02:03 PM
http://static.srcdn.com/slir/w674-h1000-q90-c674:1000/wp-content/uploads/trolls-movie-poster-2016.jpg

Bucs2016
November 3rd, 2016, 02:07 PM

I agree. It's great on TV also. Not to mention NDSU is 5x defending champ. Defending champion should get the nod when it's too close to call on a selection .

BadlandsGrizFan
November 3rd, 2016, 02:53 PM
I agree. It's great on TV also. Not to mention NDSU is 5x defending champ. Defending champion should get the nod when it's too close to call on a selection .

Bison should get it because of their 5x Natty record...not because of any of the other things that were listed however....

Fargo is not awesome....
The facility sucks on tv..dark, damp metal barn feeling...
The Bizon are not a household name....2 places people know the Bizon outside of FCS country....Frisco TX and Philly

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2016, 02:58 PM
Bison should get it because of their 5x Natty record...not because of any of the other things that were listed however....

Fargo is not awesome....
The Bizon are not a household name....2 places people know the Bizon outside of FCS country....Frisco TX and Philly

:\ Walking around in San Diego in Bison gear and people comment on NDSU.

No one here follows FCS football.

Schism55
November 3rd, 2016, 03:00 PM
:\ Walking around in San Diego in Bison gear and people comment on NDSU.

No one here follows FCS football.
Absolutely. Wearing Bison t shirt/hat around this weekend, got props in Boulder and Colorado Springs.

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 03:04 PM
Well, appears that the rankings are not likely coming out until closer to the bottom of the hour. CFB Daily just came on and they're just pumping up a bunch of FBS talk so far.

They also have a silent analyst which is superb... appears the hosts can hear her but the viewers can't. xconfusedx

Bucs2016

Fargo is not awesome....

I've never been but watched my CSU team in this year's opener there. It was a great environment on TV...for an FCS game.

That said...so is Montana. They snow and mountains...beautiful place on TV. The Coastal vs Montana a few years ago was epic.

dewey
Is anyone watching this live? Any Twitter updates? I am at the office and would like to know what is going on.

Thanks in advance.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 03:07 PM
Is anyone watching this live? Any Twitter updates? I am at the office and would like to know what is going on.

Thanks in advance.

Dewey
They're talking CFP rankings now. And their teasers have all been other FBS talk so doesn't appear the FCS rankings are coming all that quickly. It's an hour long show.

geaux_sioux
November 3rd, 2016, 03:07 PM

Thanks in advance.

Dewey

UND at #1 because we've been smashing teams and NDSU is the first team out. At least I think that's what the mute brunette said.

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 03:08 PM

Thanks in advance.

Dewey

Yep. It'll get posted shortly after coming out. Like PC said, they are just talking FBS stuff with no mention of it yet.

Bisonator
November 3rd, 2016, 03:08 PM

Fargo is not awesome....
http://memecrunch.com/meme/5JGLP/someone-s-jelly/image.gif

dewey
November 3rd, 2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. People around me are working and I could care less right now I just want to know the rankings.:D

Dewey

- - - Updated - - -

UND at #1 because we've been smashing teams and NDSU is the first team out. At least I think that's what the mute brunette said.

LOL! Smashing teams because of all the weight lifting, right?:D

Dewey

Schism55
November 3rd, 2016, 03:16 PM
Its on ESPNU, but also on WatchESPN which is how I'm watching.

bluehenbillk
November 3rd, 2016, 03:20 PM
20 minutes in & not one peep it's even coming up....

Daytripper
November 3rd, 2016, 03:20 PM
Please start a new thread when the rankings come out.

BamKat
November 3rd, 2016, 03:22 PM
Its on ESPNU, but also on WatchESPN which is how I'm watching.
What is the title? I cant find it.

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 03:23 PM

I'll do that if no one beats me to it.

dudeitsaid
November 3rd, 2016, 03:24 PM
Yes, please...also at work...

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Schism55
November 3rd, 2016, 03:25 PM
College Studio
NCAAF
CFB Daily presented by Dr Pepper

BisonTru

College football daily

Schism55
Please do

No_Skill

Might as well start it now as a place holder.

bluehenbillk
November 3rd, 2016, 03:32 PM
as they go the break it's "coming up next"

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 03:32 PM
Coming up next! Just went to commercial.

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 03:33 PM
They finally mentioned it. So should be up soon, maybe.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 03:34 PM
I bet it's like a 30 second blurb where they throw it up on the screen and say "Here it is. Now let go talk about Bama." xcoffeex

penguinpower
November 3rd, 2016, 03:34 PM
Did they have it yet?

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 03:35 PM
Did they have it yet?
No. Still at commercial.

DirtyDukes
November 3rd, 2016, 03:36 PM
Why do I have the feeling it's definitely not next?

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
NDSU at #4.... wow.

JSUSoutherner
Why do I have the feeling it's definitely not next?
Because we have to talk about Bama. Bama hasn't been mentioned for almost 5 minutes. It's a contractual obligation.

Professor Chaos
Well, SOS obviously doesn't matter.

F'N Hawks
November 3rd, 2016, 03:38 PM
lololololololololololololololololol

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2016, 03:39 PM
WOOOOOOOOO

Thundar
November 3rd, 2016, 03:41 PM
Well, as usual they reward weakness

F'N Hawks
November 3rd, 2016, 03:45 PM
Well, as usual they reward weakness

Not last year. Last year they just let cronyism take over at the end.

milleniumkat
November 3rd, 2016, 04:53 PM
LOL.

Katfan
November 3rd, 2016, 06:26 PM
Haters gonna hate. I'm not gonna say told you so, but this is exactly what they did in 2011.

Bisonoline
November 3rd, 2016, 11:38 PM

Fargo is not awesome....

You are one of the few people Ive ever heard this from. Most people say it looks like an awesome place to play football.

Do you live in a cave? Ever since the end of the Natty in January Carson Wentz and NDSU has been mentioned daily sometime somewhere on TV , Talk radio bogs etc etc etc.

I talk with numerous friends all over the US. Everyone to a man brings up NDSU in our conversation.

You might want to have the cable guy visit your cave.

Bisonoline
November 3rd, 2016, 11:39 PM
Well, SOS obviously doesn't matter.

Not this year.xthumbsupx