PDA

View Full Version : Who's on the Hot Seat and Who's the perfect candidate?

LeopardBall10
October 26th, 2016, 08:13 AM
With a little under a month left in the regular season many of you are preparing for your team's deep playoff run that will hopefully end with a ring. For the rest of us we cringe watching game after game of miserable losing, counting down the games, and hoping for a change at the end of the season.

Delaware made the bold move of firing Dave Brock, much to the jubilation of Hens faithful. I don't see anyone else in FCS willing to make that kind of move this season, but who else has a coach on the hot seat? The Patriot League may have 2 or 3 coaches who have to answer to an angry alumni base at seasons end (Tavani at Lafayette (1-7), Gillmore at Holy Cross (3-5), Susan at Bucknell (3-4)). And if your AD does make a change who do you see as the best candidates available? Will your school try to take another teams HC or assistants? And FBS guys who may be interested in the job?
https://questioninganddiscussionforteaching.files.wordpres s.com/2015/04/hotseat-placeholdersize1-390x238.jpg

Mocs123
October 26th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Bruce Fowlers seat has to be getting pretty hot at Furman.

DFW HOYA
October 26th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Patriot League Hot Seat (warmest to coldest)

1. Gilmore
2. Tavani
-----------------
3. Susan
4. Coen
5. Breiner/Hunt
7. Sgarlata

mvemjsunpx
October 26th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Big Sky

Mike Kramer (ISU) - I doubt they'd fire him now with another year on his contract, but you never know.

Ron Gould (UCD) - He also has another year, but his team has had little success in 4 seasons. I wonder if hiring someone not connected to Bob Biggs was a mistake.

Jody Sears (SAC) - Another contract that expires next year… The Hornets were supposed to suck last season after graduating a ton, but they've been worse this year instead of better.

Nobody else seem close to the hot seat, honestly.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 26th, 2016, 08:40 AM
The fact that Tavani can have 7 straight losing season including back-2-back 1-10 campaigns and still keep his job blows my mind.....xrotatehxxcrazyx

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2016, 08:44 AM

It takes a long time (I mean, really long time) for Furman fans to turn on a coach. I think the Kennesaw State game, regardless of what happens the rest of the season, was the straw that broke the camel's back for the fans. Furman is too talented to just not show up to play football several times a season, which has become a routine occurrence under Fowler's administration.

At the end of the day, Furman fans are a pretty low key bunch. We understand the economics of college football, and that you cannot change coaches like one changes their socks, especially at a small liberal arts college. Still, our fans are proud of the university and its football tradition and watching some of these performances are just unacceptable. I don't mind losing, but mailing it in several times a season cannot be allowed.

In terms of the perfect candidate, most Furman fans would probably agree on Clay Hendrix. Hendrix is from North Georgia, a Furman grad, and was the OL coach under Bobby Lamb. He is now the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Air Force, where he has been wildly successful. He also recruits the heck out of the deep south for the Academy, often recruiting directly against Furman.

Many Furman fans will equate our 10 year malaise with Hendrix's departure moreso than any other event. He'd probably have to take a pay cut, but provided the opportunity to come back home might be enticement enough. I believe he was in the conversation for the Citadel job as well three years ago. He'd be a monumental hire for Furman, I think.

UNIFanSince1983
October 26th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Well clearly the perfect candidate for Delaware would be K.C. Keeler.

Their fans can't get enough of him even though he now coaches at SHSU.

Daytripper
October 26th, 2016, 09:01 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlJafeRYr2bXSfK/giphy.gif

katstrapper
October 26th, 2016, 09:01 AM

xlolx. Im pretty sure that wouldn't happen. I think the current AD at Delaware burned that bridge, plus I think KCK is liking it in Texas.

UNIFanSince1983
October 26th, 2016, 09:05 AM
xlolx. Im pretty sure that wouldn't happen. I think the current AD at Delaware burned that bridge, plus I think KCK is liking it in Texas.

I know. He would never go back there. Just saying if you took a poll of Blue Hen fans I guarantee his name would be on top.

FUBeAR
October 26th, 2016, 09:06 AM
In terms of the perfect candidate, most Furman fans would probably agree on Clay Hendrix. He'd be a monumental hire for Furman...

Who? Clay-Bob?...I raised him from a pup. Guess he's no longer a 210 pound Freshman Scout Team OLman for the 'Dins, huh? :)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Dave Brock is the perfect candidate for Lafayette

Catatonic
October 26th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Southland. On the verge of losing the fan base:

Conque (SFA).

Collums (ACU). The "Transition is a process. We will be ready when we are eligible in 2017" message Collums has been preaching for four years now is not as believable since the Wildcats record has been getting worse not better each year. Collums still has a year left on his contract, so he may get a short term reprieve.

Ideal Candidate: A highly successful D2 HC or a hot FBS assistant wanting a head coaching gig. Must identify with and exemplify ACU's mission as a Christ-centered institution and ideally would have close ties to Texas/Oklahoma high schools.

Daytripper
October 26th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Charlie Strong will available shortly.

The Pud
October 26th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Art Briles is available

Daytripper
October 26th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Art Briles is available

Can you imagine Art Briles at Abilene Christian? Awesomeness will ensue!

ST_Lawson
October 26th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I can't really think of anyone in the MVFC who would definately be on a hot seat at this point. Maybe Spack at Illinois State, although "The 'Stache" has been beloved at ISU for a while, and due to the last few year's successes, he's likely to get a pass on a bad season or two.

Possibly Sanford at Indiana State...depending on how they finish out the season. This is year 4 for him and while he did do pretty well in 2014, had a losing record last year and at 4-4 now with games @YSU, UNI, and @NDSU, it's likely to be a losing record again this year. I don't know if that's enough for the ISUb higher-ups to fire him. It would be if it was NDSU with back to back losing records, but ISUb seems to have slightly different "expectations" for their football team.

Otherwise, the coaches of the teams near the bottom are pretty much all in the first or second years (SIU - Nick Hill, 1st year; MSU - Dave Steckel, 2nd year), which isn't enough properly evaluate recruiting classes and stuff. Most FCS schools don't really have the money to be firing coaches at the first sign of trouble.

I'm not quite sure what would have happened with Farley at UNI if he'd stuck with Bailey and possibly finished with a losing record. He might have saved his job for another season by switching to Dunne and steamrolling MSU.

crusader11
October 26th, 2016, 10:05 AM
And if your AD does make a change who do you see as the best candidates available? Will your school try to take another teams HC or assistants? And FBS guys who may be interested in the job?

If we are to stay in the family, Mark Duffner would be a great candidate for his swan song. He would totally reenergize the 1980s and early 90s alums at HC (sader87 can back me up here).

Terry Malone would be an intriguing option, and I bet he'd jump at the opportunity. The one red flag for me is that he's never been a head coach before -- why? Wouldn't want to hire another Sean Kearney...not saying that's the case with Malone.

Mike Sherman is another name that would get thrown around, but I imagine he's content with having hung it up. He's coaching high school football on the Cape, currently.

Bill McGovern is an intriguing name. Like Terry Malone, he's never been a head guy. He's currently the LB coach with the Giants, and spent more than a decade as an assistant at BC.

I am of the opinion that Tom Gilmore will be relieved of his duties following this season, and it will be really interesting to see the direction Nate Pines heads in. Would a guy like Randy Edsall be a candidate, given that Pine was the associate AD at Maryland before HC? Who knows what their relationship is like. Is a guy like Greg Schiano too big a name for HC?

I do think HC is a pretty attractive job, given the $90 million they're putting into new athletic facilities.

Here's a really good name for HC: Tim Cramsey.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Edsall is 58 and if Holy Cross does relieve Gilmore at the end of the year (I have no idea on the genuine odds of that part of it), it would be a bridge to retirement for him and would be likely his final head coaching position. Randy seems to have a pretty cushy gig at the Lions and it's open to question whether he would want to give that up - or whether Holy Cross would pony up the dough to attract him here.

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2016, 10:22 AM
If we are to stay in the family, Mark Duffner would be a great candidate for his swan song. He would totally reenergize the 1980s and early 90s alums at HC (sader87 can back me up here).

Terry Malone would be an intriguing option, and I bet he'd jump at the opportunity. The one red flag for me is that he's never been a head coach before -- why? Wouldn't want to hire another Sean Kearney...not saying that's the case with Malone.

Mike Sherman is another name that would get thrown around, but I imagine he's content with having hung it up. He's coaching high school football on the Cape, currently.

Bill McGovern is an intriguing name. Like Terry Malone, he's never been a head guy. He's currently the LB coach with the Giants, and spent more than a decade as an assistant at BC.

I am of the opinion that Tom Gilmore will be relieved of his duties following this season, and it will be really interesting to see the direction Nate Pines heads in. Would a guy like Randy Edsall be a candidate, given that Pine was the associate AD at Maryland before HC? Who knows what their relationship is like. Is a guy like Greg Schiano too big a name for HC?

I do think HC is a pretty attractive job, given the $90 million they're putting into new athletic facilities.

Here's a really good name for HC: Tim Cramsey.

No, we want Cramsey. He is from Allentown, Pa after all and I think we would love to come home. He would be a very good FCS head coach IMO. If Loose is available he would be a very solid choice as well. If all else fails just have player coaches.. They can't do any worse.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 26th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Al Golden to Lafayette!! ;)

Doc QB
October 26th, 2016, 10:25 AM
With a little under a month left in the regular season many of you are preparing for your team's deep playoff run that will hopefully end with a ring. For the rest of us we cringe watching game after game of miserable losing, counting down the games, and hoping for a change at the end of the season.

Delaware made the bold move of firing Dave Brock, much to the jubilation of Hens faithful. I don't see anyone else in FCS willing to make that kind of move this season, but who else has a coach on the hot seat? The Patriot League may have 2 or 3 coaches who have to answer to an angry alumni base at seasons end (Tavani at Lafayette (1-7), Gillmore at Holy Cross (3-5), Susan at Bucknell (3-4)). And if your AD does make a change who do you see as the best candidates available? Will your school try to take another teams HC or assistants? And FBS guys who may be interested in the job?
https://questioninganddiscussionforteaching.files.wordpres s.com/2015/04/hotseat-placeholdersize1-390x238.jpg

Hard to see Bucknell caring enough. Susan is a solid guy, no question. Its all culture there, or lack thereof. Their homecoming game drew a thousand, with Leopard fans claiming it may have been less. So, I doubt alums care, and I don't get the impression the football alums care either. One is a friend of mine, from the Rich Lemon era when the Bison were tough, he even got married at BU's chapel. Bucknell to the bone. But, he could care less about BU football, is emblematic of the apathy that will keep Susan's job secure.

Professor Chaos
October 26th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I'm not quite sure what would have happened with Farley at UNI if he'd stuck with Bailey and possibly finished with a losing record. He might have saved his job for another season by switching to Dunne and steamrolling MSU.
This is kind of interesting to me. A blowout against MSU isn't going to save anyone's job. A win against NDSU on the other hand....

But say UNI loses to NDSU this weekend and they're now 3-5. I don't know if I'd classify it as a "hot seat" yet the potential would be there if that started a late season swoon. It seems like UNI fans have more animosity towards Farley than ever before and, even worse, are showing more apathy towards the football program than in previous years under his guide. I would guess he's not going anywhere over the next year but of all the MVFC coaches I'd say his seat is the warmest. However, a lot of that has to do with the fact that there's so many coaches with less than 3 years of experience at their current job in the conference so their seats haven't had time to get warm.

crusader11
October 26th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I think I'd be okay with Dave Cecchini at HC. Never understood why he took the Valpo job, as that's pretty much an impossible place to win. He's a brilliant offensive mind, knows the PL / IL inside-out, and would be a good PL coach, IMO.

ST_Lawson
October 26th, 2016, 10:39 AM
This is kind of interesting to me. A blowout against MSU isn't going to save anyone's job. A win against NDSU on the other hand....

But say UNI loses to NDSU this weekend and they're now 3-5. I don't know if I'd classify it as a "hot seat" yet the potential would be there if that started a late season swoon. It seems like UNI fans have more animosity towards Farley than ever before and, even worse, are showing more apathy towards the football program than in previous years under his guide. I would guess he's not going anywhere over the next year but of all the MVFC coaches I'd say his seat is the warmest. However, a lot of that has to do with the fact that there's so many coaches with less than 3 years of experience at their current job in the conference so their seats haven't had time to get warm.

I think the way I'd put it though is less that the blowout win over MSU saved him his job, but that actually losing to MSU, like some were predicting, and honestly, was a possibility if they'd played Bailey, might have cost him his job. Kinda like how the North Texas coach last year was fired right after their loss to Portland State. Not saying Farley would have been fired as he was walking off the field of a loss to MSU, but it might have ended up being the deciding factor...the biggest "black mark" in a disappointing season.

Like, sticking with what they had, they probably would end up losing against NDSU, SDSU, and maybe WIU, and beating ISUb. That would have given them 4-5 wins and 6-7 losses. A losing record including getting beat by MSU...that'd be a pretty hot seat in Cedar Falls.

But, with their offense the way it is now, 5-6 wins seems very possible, with 5-6 losses, and blowing out MSU...he's likely safe.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2016, 10:54 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlJafeRYr2bXSfK/giphy.gif

Apparently Delaware fans do....

LeopardBall10
October 26th, 2016, 11:01 AM

1. Gilmore
2. Tavani
-----------------
3. Susan
4. Coen
5. Breiner/Hunt
7. Sgarlata

I don't disagree, even if I think Susan is just as responsible for poor PL teams as the top two. But who is the PL going to target for new hires? Do any of these ADs know how to hire a coach who can recruit with scholarships?

LeopardBall10
October 26th, 2016, 11:02 AM
In terms of the perfect candidate, most Furman fans would probably agree on Clay Hendrix. Hendrix is from North Georgia, a Furman grad, and was the OL coach under Bobby Lamb. He is now the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Air Force, where he has been wildly successful. He also recruits the heck out of the deep south for the Academy, often recruiting directly against Furman.

Would a small school like Furman be able to afford the OC from Air Force? At Lafayette we have this discussion all the time because long time DC John Loose left for a position coach job at Army where he makes more than our head coach now. xsmhx

walliver
October 26th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Other than Bruce Fowler, I suspect everyone in the SoCon is safe. Chatty, ElCid, Samford, Wofford and Mercer are playing competitive football. VMI is much better than they usually are. ETSU is performing as expected. WCU has hit a bump in the road, but Spiers has turned the program around.

Fowler is an enigma. In 2013 he got off to a 2-4 (almost 1-5) start but coached his team into the second round of the playoffs. The next year he lost 9 of the last 10 games on the schedule. In 2015 he won a FCS game, but lost 5 of his last 6, somehow beating Samford during that stretch. Despite this year's 0-6 start, I would not be surprised to see them competitive in all their games for the rest of the year.
Although I personally blame the teams lack of success to tearing up their grass and putting down field turf for a lacrosse team, it's hard to justify keeping him. At times, his teams look great ... but then they don't. He does have a year left on his contract, but Furman's attendance is well down from its historical norm, and getting paying fans in seats would likely justify the expense of buying him out. In theory, I should enjoy FU's misery, but since we can't even beat bad Fowler-coached Furman teams in Greenville, it's time to send him packing.

RedFlash
October 26th, 2016, 11:06 AM
NEC Coaches on the Hot Seat

I have to think it's just Banaszak and Rossomando at this point. Banny is 5-22 in just under 3 seasons at RMU. Rossomando is 8-20 in his 3rd year at CCSU.

I've seen some RMU people mentioning Scott Benzel - a D-3 coach at Westminster (Pa.) who used to coach at RMU and StFU - if the job opens up. RMU just got a new university president, so that could factor in as well.

LeopardBall10
October 26th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I think I'd be okay with Dave Cecchini at HC. Never understood why he took the Valpo job, as that's pretty much an impossible place to win. He's a brilliant offensive mind, knows the PL / IL inside-out, and would be a good PL coach, IMO.
I bet that would be a pretty lateral job in terms of $$$ but if he ever wants to win again he would be open to it.

LeopardBall10
October 26th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Banny is 5-22 in just under 3 seasons at RMU.

I've seen some RMU people mentioning Scott Benzel - a D-3 coach at Westminster (Pa.) who used to coach at RMU and StFU - if the job opens up. RMU just got a new university president, so that could factor in as well.

Yeah, Banazak has a terrible record as a HC and can also be parially to blame for all of the previous seasons as Assoc. HC under Walton who was just a figure head. Seriously, Walton had to be on a golf cart on the sideline his last season because he couldn't stand that long. If there is a new president I would think they would make a move. Benzell may be the best hire an NEC team could hope for, a young(er) guy with scholarship experience, with a winning record as a head coach, and you could get for cheap from Westminster.

crusader11
October 26th, 2016, 11:15 AM
I bet that would be a pretty lateral job in terms of $$$ but if he ever wants to win again he would be open to it.

You think? Gilmore is making roughly $250K at HC. I doubt Valpo is paying Dave C that much money.

LeopardBall10
October 26th, 2016, 11:17 AM
You think? Gilmore is making roughly $250K at HC. I doubt Valpo is paying Dave C that much money.

I know Frank at LC isn't making that kind of money. If Gilmore is making $250 you can definitely find someone better to do that job. And you're probably right, Valpo probably isn't paying that either.

Doc QB
October 26th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I don't disagree, even if I think Susan is just as responsible for poor PL teams as the top two. But who is the PL going to target for new hires? Do any of these ADs know how to hire a coach who can recruit with scholarships?

Leop, I see this mentioned on our LU board and here with regard to PL and "learning curve" with scholarships and as you stated, "who can recruit with scholarships." There is nothing to learn. You either are a good talent evaluator or you are not. Your assistants are, or they are not. What is to learn? Go after better kids, talented ones in the past who went CAA, ones that said no thanks to that need based scholarship and went CAA. The problem lies with the inability to identify that better kid to begin with, by a collective of PL coaches who have always been in IVY or PL, and poisoned by getting to know a certain talent-grades level kid they can get as well as those they didnt recruit because they had multiple full scholarship offers. My view is that some of these guys have just continued to target the same kids and now leave the FAFSA form in the briefcase and now offer them the scholarship. Makes their job easier, right?

And for those guys, this supposed learning curve becomes: pay less attention to the IVY targets and see who the CAA is recruiting, see if they have the grades for us, and SELL the PL to them. Sure, we cant match up with their NC appearances, playoff appearances, more national cache. But, the coach can sell a fantastic degree, alum and fan support when you are done, play EARLY (no redshirts...you can play that as a selling point to young kids who are hungry), good stadiums, facilities, playoff opportunity the IVY doesn't have. Don't try to steal the Princeton bound QB with a million on his SATs, get that 6-3 gunslinger who wants to go to Richmond or W&M or UNH with almost a million on his SATs and SELL IT. We wont be as successful competing on the field against the CAA and nationally until we compete with them better recruiting. Losing head to head with Ivies should no longer sting, shouldn't be a focus. I hear every year about the scores of FBS offers kids have on IVY rosters, their limitless aid, no roster limits, multiple FBS offers turned down to play in the Ancient Eight. I ain't seeing it on the field. For all the hoopla a few years back about Surace and his big guys he's getting at Princeton, they guys are older now and certainly not tearing it up as you would expect of such reported talent.

The PL teams with a possible HC vacancy need to find the guy who has had success coaching and recruiting. "Can recruit with scholarships..." How about, "CAN recruit period."

UNIFanSince1983
October 26th, 2016, 11:55 AM

I am not sure UNI would ever fire Farley. I guess anything is possible especially with a new AD, but I just can't see it happening. Not to say some UNI fans would love to get some fresh blood in there. Just not sure the higher ups agree with getting rid of him. The grass isn't always greener. Just look at Delaware. The funny thing is we got rid of a coach after 4 seasons who never finished worse than 7-4, but also never made the playoffs. Farley has 2 losing seasons and is on the verge of a 3rd. For perspective we only have 1 other losing season since joining the Gateway/MVFC. So we will just have to see what happens.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 26th, 2016, 12:21 PM

He has to be the highest paid coach in the league? Fordham has A10 TV money yet I can't see Breiner making that.

I'm 99% positive Coen's salary isn't close to that. Maybe $150k with some nice perks??

Professor Chaos
October 26th, 2016, 12:29 PM
I think the way I'd put it though is less that the blowout win over MSU saved him his job, but that actually losing to MSU, like some were predicting, and honestly, was a possibility if they'd played Bailey, might have cost him his job. Kinda like how the North Texas coach last year was fired right after their loss to Portland State. Not saying Farley would have been fired as he was walking off the field of a loss to MSU, but it might have ended up being the deciding factor...the biggest "black mark" in a disappointing season.

Like, sticking with what they had, they probably would end up losing against NDSU, SDSU, and maybe WIU, and beating ISUb. That would have given them 4-5 wins and 6-7 losses. A losing record including getting beat by MSU...that'd be a pretty hot seat in Cedar Falls.

But, with their offense the way it is now, 5-6 wins seems very possible, with 5-6 losses, and blowing out MSU...he's likely safe.
That makes sense but I think even with Bailey UNI would've wiped the field with MSU. Maybe not a 50 point win like they had but a 20+ point win nonetheless.

I am not sure UNI would ever fire Farley. I guess anything is possible especially with a new AD, but I just can't see it happening. Not to say some UNI fans would love to get some fresh blood in there. Just not sure the higher ups agree with getting rid of him. The grass isn't always greener. Just look at Delaware. The funny thing is we got rid of a coach after 4 seasons who never finished worse than 7-4, but also never made the playoffs. Farley has 2 losing seasons and is on the verge of a 3rd. For perspective we only have 1 other losing season since joining the Gateway/MVFC. So we will just have to see what happens.
That's the most logical way to look at it. I don't think firing him would be a good idea. But sometimes we see kneejerk reactions, even at this level, from an AD who gets a little too big for his britches. Back in 2009 when NDSU went 3-8 there were plenty of fans calling for Bohl's head despite the fact he was just two seasons removed from back-to-back 10-1 campaigns. The NDSU AD at the time left no gray area and said flat out that his job for was safe for the year. The rest, as they say, is history.

PaladinNation
October 26th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Would a small school like Furman be able to afford the OC from Air Force? At Lafayette we have this discussion all the time because long time DC John Loose left for a position coach job at Army where he makes more than our head coach now. xsmhx

Clay was one of three finalists for The Citadel jobæ believe Houston's contract was $210K.My guess is that's doable and realistic for Furman.The question is where does the new President, new AD, and the board stand???

Furman has had for many years a very well attended football camp not just for individuals but also teams. Clay would do well with his name on the offensive line camp alone.

Greenville has become a very attractive place to live… and Clay's wife is from Taylors. Rumour has it that Clay would like to move back home.

Clay would be my number 1 choice!

Billy Napier would be number 2. Furman cannot match Billy's Alabama salary at 350K. The question is how important is it to Billy to become a head coach, a head coach at Furman? Again another rumour is his dream has been to be the head coach at Furman.
Billy has seemed to thrive on the Saban staff.

After Clay and Billy I think you're looking at an assistant from Navy, maybe a few D2 or D3 head coaches, or a longshot Quarles at Maryville HS, or Ingle Martin at CPA.

There could be a big push to go completely outside the Furman coaching tree. I think Furman needs a coach that has an offensive philosophy.

crusader11
October 26th, 2016, 12:50 PM
He has to be the highest paid coach in the league? Fordham has A10 TV money yet I can't see Breiner making that.

I'm 99% positive Coen's salary isn't close to that. Maybe $150k with some nice perks??

Gilmore is $190K with about $50K in perks.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 26th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Other than Bruce Fowler, I suspect everyone in the SoCon is safe. Chatty, ElCid, Samford, Wofford and Mercer are playing competitive football. VMI is much better than they usually are. ETSU is performing as expected. WCU has hit a bump in the road, but Spiers has turned the program around.

Fowler is an enigma. In 2013 he got off to a 2-4 (almost 1-5) start but coached his team into the second round of the playoffs. The next year he lost 9 of the last 10 games on the schedule. In 2015 he won a FCS game, but lost 5 of his last 6, somehow beating Samford during that stretch. Despite this year's 0-6 start, I would not be surprised to see them competitive in all their games for the rest of the year.
Although I personally blame the teams lack of success to tearing up their grass and putting down field turf for a lacrosse team, it's hard to justify keeping him. At times, his teams look great ... but then they don't. He does have a year left on his contract, but Furman's attendance is well down from its historical norm, and getting paying fans in seats would likely justify the expense of buying him out. In theory, I should enjoy FU's misery, but since we can't even beat bad Fowler-coached Furman teams in Greenville, it's time to send him packing.

Speaking of ETSU, I think it will be a matter of time before Carl Torbush rides off into the sunset. It may happen at the end of this season or the next season. If Torbush does indeed retire, my top choice is Jamey Chadwell. He has been at the top of my list ever since ETSU brought football back (except for brief period of time Fulmer expressed interest in helping out ETSU).

BigSouthFan
October 26th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Speaking of ETSU, I think it will be a matter of time before Carl Torbush rides off into the sunset. It may happen at the end of this season or the next season. If Torbush does indeed retire, my top choice is Jamey Chadwell. He has been at the top of my list ever since ETSU brought football back (except for brief period of time Fulmer expressed interest in helping out ETSU).

What's the murmuring around there? Has anybody heard any interest of him returning to ETSU? Does anybody think he would take the ETSU job or is he more of a SunBelt, C-USA guy next up? He was in the final running for the Georgia Southern job last year if I recall correctly.

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Gilmore is $190K with about $50K in perks.

Perks must include free life advice from Sader 87, and all the communion wine one wishes to drink!

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2016, 01:37 PM

If you unpack the 2013 numbers, you'll see a lot of the same trends plaguing the team now. The offense was bad, but the team managed to ride an unsustainably high turnover margin (+12) and (I think) 5 non-offensive touchdowns. They also were 20-25 on field goal kicking by Ray Early. The odds of any team replicating those numbers in the kicking department and on defense were pretty small.

I also think that Dakota Dozier masked a lot of inherent issues we have on the offensive line. The team was able to run the ball well with Jerodis Williams, but I think much of that was because we had an NFL draft pick at LT that could just collapse a defensive line on his own. Once he graduated, our offensive line was sorely exposed.

You note the biggest issue, though. Attendance. 10 years ago Furman was drawing 12-13k fans a game with regularity. 2004 they had 17k+ for a game with Georgia Southern. Now they are drawing, what, 5-6k a game? Furman has a serious problem with alumni outreach, I think, if there is an entire generation of students (perhaps the first group in anyone's memory) that is graduating with a losing Paladin football team.

LeopardBall10
October 26th, 2016, 02:44 PM
The PL teams with a possible HC vacancy need to find the guy who has had success coaching and recruiting. "Can recruit with scholarships..." How about, "CAN recruit period."

That is a fair assessment, and not totally off base. Tavani is legendary in how little he actually recruits. The man has never been on a home visit outside of an 8 hour drive from campus and is a historically bad evaluator. But at the same time, I have experience recruiting both ways and I will say that they are completely different, and require a different mind set. Sure, you can go out and offer all the same kids as the Ivys, but 80% of the time kids will pass on the PL scholarship if accepted to H,Y,P. And very few of the CAA offers will make it into the AI for PL schools. So you go and offer all of those kids but the question is how many offers do you put out? Do you offer them all right away and pressure your top guys to commit before someone else takes their spot? And what do you do if all the spots are taken, but your #1 QB just became available? All of this strategy is a learned behavior based on experience in the marketplace. Every staff in the PL before scholarships was looking for either high academic kids who would get institutional money (preferably poor and/or minority) and then guys who would be able to come on "some" football money. It was much more like DII recruiting with partials and a few fulls than anything else.

LeopardBall10
October 26th, 2016, 02:49 PM

That's about where Frank is at Lafayette. I mean the school pays for his house, car, phone, travel, etc. but its not like they are paying him performance bonuses to get him to $200k. That's why I really struggle to see FCS schools pulling FBS assistants who are making over that as position coaches, not even coordinators. Unless you are the upper echelon NDSU, etc paying $300,00 + I think you need to be creative with your searches. I'll be interested to see who everyone hears actually gets interviews once the searches heat up in December.

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2016, 03:02 PM

....IFIN' NOT FO' APP STATE'S 3-PEAT....AN' DUH AMAZIN' BIZONSSSS 'S RUN........KC'S....3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCES.....IN UH SHORT SPAN....WOOD BE DUH HOLY GRAIL....UH FCS OINKY.....SAM STATE WILL DOMINATE FO-EVERAH...AS LONG AS KEELER STAYS PUT......AN' ALL DEM UNHAPPY PLAYERS @...TEXAS/BAYLOR/A & M.....WANT PLAYIN' TIME....xcoolx...........BRAWK!

Katfan
October 26th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Apparently Delaware fans do....
I think they are split. There are a few on here that show us the love because he coaches at SHSU, but on their fan board, it seems to be more divided.

Bluefish845
October 26th, 2016, 05:30 PM
ACE I think CCSU's problem is the OOC Sched:
14 Towson W
14 ALbany L
14 Holy Cross L
14 Dartmouth L
14 Rhode Island W
15 Lehigh L
15 Stony Brook L
15 New Hampshire L
15 Dartmouth L
16 Lafayette L
16 JMU L
16 PEnn L
16 Coastal L

2-11 vs OOC FCS schools...given the # of schollies in the NEC, a .500 record against these teams would be difficult. Great that they are able to schedule these teams and some of the L's have been competititve but you'd hope that Rossomondo isn't judged by the OOC losses.
Admittedly SHU's 3 W's over the Pioneer are not impressive this year but they are W's non the less. Nofri now needs to win a playoff game or 2 and he may be spoken as a candidate to move on. I certainly think the DC Dave Wissman does a great job and could be plucked if he had an offer and some interest.

aceinthehole
October 26th, 2016, 06:24 PM
ACE I think CCSU's problem is the OOC Schedule

Problem is some of those games were very winnable for a 40 scholly program.

Even if you ignore the admittedly very challenging non-conference slate, his record vs. the NEC is equally awful (4-10).

Go...gate
October 26th, 2016, 06:51 PM

1. Gilmore
2. Tavani
-----------------
3. Susan
4. Coen
5. Breiner
6/7. Sgarlata/Hunt

Agree on Gilmore and Tavani. It is over for them.

I don't see Susan going anywhere, either.

Hunt is in very good standing at Colgate, perhaps better than Sgarlata. Last year really helped.

Go...gate
October 26th, 2016, 06:55 PM

Agreed. In general, PL Head and Assistant Coaches have never been lavishly compensated.

TheValleyRaider
October 26th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not really sure why there'd be any pressure on Susan. Surely no one there really expects him to do any better than maybe compete for the league title every couple of years, right? As long as the Bison aren't dreadful (like they were when he was hired), I can't see any change coming in Lewisburg.

And while I know there is discontent with Tavani here (with good reason, at this point), is there reason to believe he's actually on the hot seat? That people at Lafayette are preparing to let him go, or he's getting ready to leave? Obviously he wouldn't necessarily say that out loud, but is there anything going on behind the scenes that would suggest more pressure is coming from the administration?

ngineer
October 26th, 2016, 07:40 PM

The problem is the assumption there is much of an "alumni base" that cares. I don't see enough of a 'rabid' fan base at either Lafayette or Bucknell that would result in a firing. Perhaps a major donor could influence some things by threatening to withhold donations, but there is little concern over what the overall base of alumni think when it comes to athletics.

ngineer
October 26th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Agree on Gilmore and Tavani. It is over for them.

I don't see Susan going anywhere, either.

Hunt is in very good standing at Colgate, perhaps better than Sgarlata. Last year really helped.

The only one i see being 'forced out' is Gilmore as the HC crowd still sees themselves as trying to return to glory of 30 years past. Tavani goes only if Frank is ready to go. There is no interest on College Hill to fire someone who has given so many years to the school. Susan is doing okay by BU standards as few care about football. Coen is closer to Hunt, and indeed, if this season and next turn into another special run, may be in a position for becoming longterm. He is now the second winningest coach in LU history with only about 12 wins away from passing #1 Leckonby. Breiner is too new and certainly has a longer leash to get his program established. Sgarlata doing very well with limited resources.

ngineer
October 26th, 2016, 07:50 PM
That is a fair assessment, and not totally off base. Tavani is legendary in how little he actually recruits. The man has never been on a home visit outside of an 8 hour drive from campus and is a historically bad evaluator. But at the same time, I have experience recruiting both ways and I will say that they are completely different, and require a different mind set. Sure, you can go out and offer all the same kids as the Ivys, but 80% of the time kids will pass on the PL scholarship if accepted to H,Y,P. And very few of the CAA offers will make it into the AI for PL schools. So you go and offer all of those kids but the question is how many offers do you put out? Do you offer them all right away and pressure your top guys to commit before someone else takes their spot? And what do you do if all the spots are taken, but your #1 QB just became available? All of this strategy is a learned behavior based on experience in the marketplace. Every staff in the PL before scholarships was looking for either high academic kids who would get institutional money (preferably poor and/or minority) and then guys who would be able to come on "some" football money. It was much more like DII recruiting with partials and a few fulls than anything else.

Fully agree that with the advent of scholarships recruiting has taken on a whole new focus and it appears LC has missed the boat the past few years, which is now showing. The squads are smaller, now, so getting quality players with high academics is all the more demanding. The pool is wide but not very deep.

RMU
October 26th, 2016, 08:03 PM
NEC Coaches on the Hot Seat

I have to think it's just Banaszak and Rossomando at this point. Banny is 5-22 in just under 3 seasons at RMU. Rossomando is 8-20 in his 3rd year at CCSU.

I signed up here to post just that! On the RMU board, there has been talk about it. RMU has only had 2 coaches, Joe Walton for 20 years and Banny for the last 3, so RMU has never been in this position before. There was a story in the school paper how RMU had been shut out maybe 2 or 3 times in Joe Walton's tenure, and I think around 5 times in 2.5 years under Banny.

Benzel is a hell of coach who would really be a dream hire for people have followed/been involved in RMU for a long time. He is doing at a great job at Westminster, and can flat out coach. Local guy who will probably never leave Western PA, could coach at RMU for 20 years. I do not know if it was coincidence or not, but StFU came out of the doldrums and became a heck of team when Benzel was there. Lots of people were shocked when he went there, due to their previous records. Their senior class now at StFU has Benzels fingers all over it.

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2016, 09:20 PM
The problem is the assumption there is much of an "alumni base" that cares. I don't see enough of a 'rabid' fan base at either Lafayette or Bucknell that would result in a firing. Perhaps a major donor could influence some things by threatening to withhold donations, but there is little concern over what the overall base of alumni think when it comes to athletics.

Lafayette has an alumni base that cares as much as any in the league, its just that our leadership hates us. Donations are solid, the football budget was 2nd in the league last I checked and attendance often leads the league as well. Lafayette had poor support from the admin is certain ways, but I disagree that the program lacks support. However, we are at the point of no return and something must be done with Frank. It's just not that he is losing, but he is literally not performing the duties expected of a head football coach. Whatever friends in high places Frank may have had can no longer justify his continued employment IMO.

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2016, 09:22 PM
I signed up here to post just that! On the RMU board, there has been talk about it. RMU has only had 2 coaches, Joe Walton for 20 years and Banny for the last 3, so RMU has never been in this position before. There was a story in the school paper how RMU had been shut out maybe 2 or 3 times in Joe Walton's tenure, and I think around 5 times in 2.5 years under Banny.

Benzel is a hell of coach who would really be a dream hire for people have followed/been involved in RMU for a long time. He is doing at a great job at Westminster, and can flat out coach. Local guy who will probably never leave Western PA, could coach at RMU for 20 years. I do not know if it was coincidence or not, but StFU came out of the doldrums and became a heck of team when Benzel was there. Lots of people were shocked when he went there, due to their previous records. Their senior class now at StFU has Benzels fingers all over it.

Hope you guys get the ship righted as well. Walton had a lot of solid teams with little to work with back in the day, and now that you have nice facilities and a better budget results should be better.

bonarae
October 26th, 2016, 09:38 PM
And for those guys, this supposed learning curve becomes: pay less attention to the IVY targets and see who the CAA is recruiting, see if they have the grades for us, and SELL the PL to them. Sure, we cant match up with their NC appearances, playoff appearances, more national cache. But, the coach can sell a fantastic degree, alum and fan support when you are done, play EARLY (no redshirts...you can play that as a selling point to young kids who are hungry), good stadiums, facilities, playoff opportunity the IVY doesn't have. Don't try to steal the Princeton bound QB with a million on his SATs, get that 6-3 gunslinger who wants to go to Richmond or W&M or UNH with almost a million on his SATs and SELL IT. We wont be as successful competing on the field against the CAA and nationally until we compete with them better recruiting. Losing head to head with Ivies should no longer sting, shouldn't be a focus. I hear every year about the scores of FBS offers kids have on IVY rosters, their limitless aid, no roster limits, multiple FBS offers turned down to play in the Ancient Eight. I ain't seeing it on the field. For all the hoopla a few years back about Surace and his big guys he's getting at Princeton, they guys are older now and certainly not tearing it up as you would expect of such reported talent.

Is the better half of the Ivy/PL relationship already being severed, albeit slowly, due to the PL trying hard to compete with the CAA teams when in fact they are still competing against the Ivies? The football-playing PL institutions and the PL office itself must admit that they should try harder and compete against the CAA and the Northeast FBS programs instead of the Ivies. Leave the Ivies to themselves. We've practically lost the race by not competing in the Road to Frisco.

Another suggestion for the PL schools: Try to compete with the D-II schools as well, especially PSAC and NE-10 schools. D-III can be hard to reach.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2016, 10:43 PM
I think by definition Lehigh's seat always seems to be somewhat warm because the expectations are so high, which appears to make it different than the other jobs in the Patriot League. The closest thing to the crazy expectations at Lehigh are at Fordham, but I'd imagine Breiner will get a long leash. The fact that he is basically the hand-picked successor of Joe Moorhead, Fordham prodigal son and Penn State OC, certainly is a big help in that area. A Patriot League title this year would also be a huge help, something very much in his reach.

Overall, all the PL schools are just different when it comes to expectations. Bucknell and Colgate want winning programs, but just go about it quietly. Georgetown wants a program of fighters that will every once in a while make a run at a PL championship. Holy Cross and Lafayette are harder to figure - at times it seems like they don't know what they really want to be, football-wise. Their fans do, but not their presidents and admins - which is why it's really hard to say with any certainty that there is a "hot seat" there.

LeopardBall10
October 27th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I think by definition Lehigh's seat always seems to be somewhat warm because the expectations are so high, which appears to make it different than the other jobs in the Patriot League.

I'm going to call bull here. How many Lehigh football coaches have been fired for poor performance? Admittedly I am not a Lehigh Football Historian, but I don't think the administration at Lehigh reacts to poor performance any differently than most of the rest of the league. And how can you put Fordham in that same conversation for "always having a warm seat" when they have a recent history of being an absolute door mat for a decade before Moorehead.

Gate83
October 27th, 2016, 07:35 AM
I'm going to call bull here. How many Lehigh football coaches have been fired for poor performance? Admittedly I am not a Lehigh Football Historian, but I don't think the administration at Lehigh reacts to poor performance any differently than most of the rest of the league. And how can you put Fordham in that same conversation for "always having a warm seat" when they have a recent history of being an absolute door mat for a decade before Moorehead.

Yep. I'd also say historically Gate's expectations are quite high... but we had Biddle, which made things seem quiet based on his long-term success. Prior to Biddle we fired Foley in 5 years for lack of success, and Sweeney in 3 following that. Here's to hoping coach Hunt follows the Biddle/Dunlap model...

PAllen
October 27th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Yeah, Lehigh's seat is not anywhere near "always warm". It took Lembo publicly going after alumni and boosters before he was encouraged to start to look elsewhere. Coen has had much more than his fair share of subpar seasons and there's been no hint of the administration pushing him to do better.

#1 requirement for PL FB - run a program that doesn't embarrass the school. For Georgetown, that's just about it. For Lafayette, add in beating Lehigh every now and again. Frank won 150 in a big way and that bought him a lot of leeway for the seasons that followed. Bucknell and Holy Cross would add the desire to compete for the league title every few years or so. Fordham was in the same boat, but with their recent success, I'm guessing the admin might want a little more. Lehigh wants to beat Lafayette more often than not and compete for the league title most years, a few playoff games are nice. Colgate wants winning seasons and to be in the conversation for the league title just about every year. The Raiders also want to make playoff runs every now and again.

RedFlash
October 27th, 2016, 08:18 AM

Welcome aboard RMU. It's always nice to have another NEC voice in the community.

Benzel would be an excellent choice for RMU, as would Cal U. (Pa.) head coach Gary Dunn, who was Duquesne's offensive coordinator for six years before jumping to D-II Cal this past year (where he's got them playing incredibly well - 7-0 and ranked in the Top 5.)

CitadelGrad
October 27th, 2016, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't say he's on the hot seat, but I'm hearing some grumbling about Jeff Monken at Army. If he is eventually fired and Army wishes to remain a triple option team, this could have implications for The Citadel.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2016, 09:12 AM

I guess it comes down to: if Andy Coen had a 1-10 season like last year, like Tavani, or one single 8-win season over his career, like Joe Susan, or 3 losing seasons over the last four (and possibly four out of the last five), like Gilmore, would Lehigh's AD have retained him? I don't believe he would have.

Early in his career, Andy's seat was clearly hot after 3 seasons floating around .500, and arguably only barely kept his job after a 4-7 season after barely beating Lafayette. And during that stretch, yes, the OC was fired and replaced by Dave Cecchini. So you can say that the OC got "fired" for poor performance.

I'm not saying that Lehigh's job expectations are like the expectations at Alabama. However compared to the other PL coaches, I think, yes, there's more pressure at Lehigh than at other places.

walliver
October 27th, 2016, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't say he's on the hot seat, but I'm hearing some grumbling about Jeff Monken at Army. If he is eventually fired and Army wishes to remain a triple option team, this could have implications for The Citadel.

I suspect Army would go after Houston first.

LeopardBall10
October 27th, 2016, 12:07 PM

I can imagine there are grumblings, but I don't think they are to the point of firing him yet. Army is having a decent season, better than most in recent memory. If they did fire him the question becomes do they go after someone with and Army background (i.e. knows how the team has to operate), someone with an option background, or something totally different. I think they go after someone from the Paul Johnson tree before they pull from Citadel.

RichH2
October 27th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Only coach actually fired over my time was Mike Cooley back in 64. Lembo was forced out for 2 reasons
1. Disappointed expectations after Higgins.
2. More pertinent,perhaps. Was Pete's abrasive personality. He alienated a lot of people outside his program.
Agree tho that his seat is warm tho not yet uncomfortably so yet.:) He needs a solid winning season to keep it that way.

Go Green
October 27th, 2016, 01:55 PM
In the Ivy, the only coaches whose seats are warm are Yale's Reno and Brown's Estes.

Personally, I think both will get one more year. Reno is the more likely of the two to be shown the door this year.

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2016, 03:40 PM
In the Ivy, the only coaches whose seats are warm are Yale's Reno and Brown's Estes.

Personally, I think both will get one more year. Reno is the more likely of the two to be shown the door this year.

The chances of Reno losing his job this year are almost nil

Rjones61
October 27th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I think Bruce Barnum's seat might be getting warm. Last year, he fielded a team that went to playoffs. Big mistake, because he also set expectations higher. This year they are in free fall and play like hot garbage.

TheValleyRaider
October 27th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Yep. I'd also say historically Gate's expectations are quite high... but we had Biddle, which made things seem quiet based on his long-term success. Prior to Biddle we fired Foley in 5 years for lack of success, and Sweeney in 3 following that. Here's to hoping coach Hunt follows the Biddle/Dunlap model...

I agree with this. Colgate is much tougher to judge in this situation relative to our PL brethren because we had Biddle for so many years. In 18 years at Colgate, he never reached a point where letting him go would have been a serious option. 18 years is a long time, but how many institutions (Patriot League or otherwise) would let go of a guy with his record during that run?

nevadagriz
October 27th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Stitt is on the hot seat in missoula. He lost two games this year! He also lost some games at Colorado School of Mines. The guys at egriz will not stand for this!

Go Green
October 27th, 2016, 06:13 PM

Didn't realize Yale cares that much about beating Dartmouth. :)

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Didn't realize Yale cares that much about beating Dartmouth. :)

Coming off two winning seasons, it would take a lot more than one losing season to cost a coach at Yale their job.

mvemjsunpx
October 27th, 2016, 08:32 PM
I think Bruce Barnum's seat might be getting warm.

He was given a 5-year contract last season, so no.

catamount man
October 27th, 2016, 08:46 PM

Speir is safe but I imagine he will have LONG TALKS with a lot of his assistants after the season and as much grief as not having a good D coordinator gives CATS fans, I'm starting to think Brad Glenn, OC, needs to be shown the door. Our OL can't block toys and poor Tyrie Adams is running for his laugh. I certainly hope Speir has a "come to Jesus" meeting with his assistants cause if nothing changes, you can expect much of the same in 2017 and THEN Mark would be on the hot seat. Just my 2 cents. GO CATS!

catamount man
October 27th, 2016, 08:48 PM

Uh, Army is 4-3 in 2016. Monken's more than fine with that record........but they GOTTA beat Navy sometime. GO CATS!

Serpentor
October 27th, 2016, 08:50 PM
If Stephen F. Austin's Coach Conque doesn't finish strong this year, his head is on the chopping block. THIS, I COMMAND!

superman7515
October 27th, 2016, 08:55 PM

I don't think it would happen, but has KC ever even met the current AD at Delaware?

Serpentor
October 27th, 2016, 09:05 PM
I don't think it would happen, but has KC ever even met the current AD at Delaware?

I've heard rumblings from the AD that KC might not be here after the season ends, too many higher opportunities. Would he go back to Delaware? Who knows. THIS, I COMMAND!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 27th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I've heard rumblings from the AD that KC might not be here after the season ends, too many higher opportunities. Would he go back to Delaware? Who knows. THIS, I COMMAND!

Would Baylor give him a shot? Groh's a good coach and has done a solid job this year but he's definitely not in it for the long haul.

Serpentor
October 27th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Would Baylor give him a shot? Groh's a good coach and has done a solid job this year but he's definitely not in it for the long haul.

I'm not certain. Can an FCS coach jump up to a Power 5 school? I mean, Craig Bohl ended up at Wyoming, but it felt like he should have gone to a BIG 10 school or something.

I'm thinking he might move up to Houston if Tom Herman takes the Texas job. Of course I want him to stay at SHSU for years, so who knows in the end? THIS, I... must think on for a while...

ngineer
October 27th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Only coach actually fired over my time was Mike Cooley back in 64. Lembo was forced out for 2 reasons
1. Disappointed expectations after Higgins.
2. More pertinent,perhaps. Was Pete's abrasive personality. He alienated a lot of people outside his program.
Agree tho that his seat is warm tho not yet uncomfortably so yet.:) He needs a solid winning season to keep it that way.

Disagree. Lembo was looking to leave Lehigh as he clearly was a man on a mission to grab the FBS ring. He leaped at the Elon opening as a great opportunity to turn around a moribund program, while able to sell himself as a big winner at Lehigh. Yes, he rubbed some alums the wrong way, but part of that was growing pains. The guy was actually too young to be a HC when he took over from Higgins as part of a deal he, Cecchini and Gilmore sold to Sterrett to pick one of them as HC and the others would stay for at least two years as they had a great thing going. Once Gilmore and Chick went to Holy Cross and Harvard, respectively, the results began to sag. Still winning seasons, but not what people were used to. Still, one can see what Lembo is all about...every five years onto the next rung. Only time will tell if he gets the 'big gig'.

Bucs2016
October 27th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Jamey Chadwell at Charleston Southern is on the hot seat for sure.

You see....the old timers at the very top of CSUs administration are old Southern Baptists who never intended for football to outshine the other stuff on campus. And Chadwell has damn well better get real mediocre real quick. A deep playoff run could end up getting him canned haha!

I'm only half joking sadly.

But Chadwell is gone soon. He's gonna land one of these bigger jobs you guys are mentioning. He'd be an excellent choice for Furman or Delaware.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 27th, 2016, 10:24 PM
I'm not certain. Can an FCS coach jump up to a Power 5 school? I mean, Craig Bohl ended up at Wyoming, but it felt like he should have gone to a BIG 10 school or something.

I'm thinking he might move up to Houston if Tom Herman takes the Texas job. Of course I want him to stay at SHSU for years, so who knows in the end? THIS, I... must think on for a while...

Jim Tressel made it happen. Keeler doesn't have quite the resume of Tressel but it's damn impressive nonetheless.

Houston would be very intriguing. I think it depends on how much Keeler likes Texas. He's definitely a Northeast/Mid-Atlantic guy. Or at least I thought he was...

LeopardBall10
October 28th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Jamey Chadwell at Charleston Southern is on the hot seat for sure.

You see....the old timers at the very top of CSUs administration are old Southern Baptists who never intended for football to outshine the other stuff on campus. And Chadwell has damn well better get real mediocre real quick. A deep playoff run could end up getting him canned haha!

I'm only half joking sadly.

But Chadwell is gone soon. He's gonna land one of these bigger jobs you guys are mentioning. He'd be an excellent choice for Furman or Delaware.

Us Patriot League fans know that story all too well, just without the religious bent. xdrunkyx

LeopardBall10
October 28th, 2016, 08:02 AM
From everything I've seen over the years the Ivys don't fire coaches. Even HYP are slow to move. These aren't going to open up anytime soon. But if they did there would be a lot of great coaches interested.

carney2
October 28th, 2016, 08:29 AM
In the Patriot League Gilmore appears to be as good as gone and should already have moving companies on speed dial. The Cross faithful are convinced that the new AD will do the right thing when it comes to a new hire.

Tavani and Lafayette, however, are a strange case. As someone already pointed out, name one other school where a coach with Frank's record over the past 7 years would still be drawing a pay check. The people in charge just don't care. Rumors are surfacing that he will resign/retire, but he will not be fired. If he leaves, AD McCutcheon will be placed in charge of the search committee for a replacement and many (myself included) are convinced that he will botch the job.

Original_RMC
October 28th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Welcome aboard RMU. It's always nice to have another NEC voice in the community.

Benzel would be an excellent choice for RMU, as would Cal U. (Pa.) head coach Gary Dunn, who was Duquesne's offensive coordinator for six years before jumping to D-II Cal this past year (where he's got them playing incredibly well - 7-0 and ranked in the Top 5.)

Lots of talk over at https://robertmorris.forums.rivals.com/forums/the-free-forum.6/ against the current staff and team. It's a tough conversation and we know the staff and players read the boards. But for the overall direction of the program, you have to have those talks about the current state of the program and the necessary changes (if any) to get RMU back on the roadmap to another NEC title.

I just hope that if there is a change that they open the position to at least do interviews. Scott Farison is a great coach and great recruiter and I know a candidate.

Daytripper
October 28th, 2016, 08:58 AM

No way Baylor hires Keeler. I have family that are alums and their fan base would absolutely freak out. If a successful coach like Craig Bohl can only pull the Wyoming gig, why would Keeler get a better job? Baylor will only hire an up-and-comer G5 HC or a legit P5 coordinator.

mamberso
October 28th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Short of some scandal, no one will be fired in the OVC. Lots of turnover after last season. Best chance of a coach departing would be Grass at JSU if he is offered a G5 head coach or P5 OC job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2016, 09:44 AM
For the PL and especially Holy Cross fans on here: A hypothetical. Gilmore runs the table, hoists the Ram-Crusader Cup in front of 30,000 fans and goes over .500. Ends at 6-5, and gets Pujals back next season. Still think he's shown the door?

crusader11
October 28th, 2016, 10:19 AM
For the PL and especially Holy Cross fans on here: A hypothetical. Gilmore runs the table, hoists the Ram-Crusader Cup in front of 30,000 fans and goes over .500. Ends at 6-5, and gets Pujals back next season. Still think he's shown the door?

That would be interesting, but I think Pine has made up his mind. If Geoff Wade is healthy, HC has a fighting chance in the final three games. If he's not, it's quit possible HC loses the final three games with a WR playing QB (Blaise Bell). I'm dumbfounded that the coaching staff thought he could play QB.

I'm interested to see the mentality of HC tomorrow. They're officially out of the PL race, but does the chance for a winning season motivate them?

Original_RMC
October 28th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Extension Stretches Banaszak Contract Through 2017 Season

http://rmucolonials.com/news/2016/10/28/football-banaszak-inks-contract-extension.aspx (http://rmucolonials.com/news/2016/10/28/football-banaszak-inks-contract-extension.aspx)

BEAR
October 28th, 2016, 10:43 AM
NOT having read the entire thread or recalling if I posted in it...xlolx .... does SFA give Clamp Crank another year?

Catatonic
October 28th, 2016, 11:04 AM
NOT having read the entire thread or recalling if I posted in it...xlolx .... does SFA give Clamp Crank another year?

Probably. Not enough money in SFA land to buy out his contract and pay for another coach. Same in Abilene. Ken Collums gets one more year to prove he can coach with the bigger boys.

Daytripper
October 28th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Probably. Not enough money in SFA land to buy out his contract and pay for another coach. Same in Abilene. Ken Collums gets one more year to prove he can coach with the bigger boys.

I am surprised about Collums. I really thought you guys would be much better. Maybe he needs another year to acclimate to this level.

superman7515
October 28th, 2016, 11:45 AM
http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29100&ATCLID=211256594

NEWARK, Del. -- Chrissi Rawak (http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=29100&ATCLID=210952389), Director of Athletics and Recreation Services, announced today that the University of Delaware has retained Korn Ferry, one of the world's most respected executive search firms with vast experience in coaching searches, to assist as consultants on the hiring of the Blue Hens next head football coach.

Korn Ferry has assisted in the hiring of high-level athletic administrators and head coaches at Oregon, Texas, Virginia, Michigan, Florida and multiple other universities across the country.

Jed Hughes (http://www.kornferry.com/consultants/jedhughes/?DB_OEM_ID=29100), Vice Chairman of Korn Ferry’s Sports Practice, will be part of the firm’s efforts on Delaware’s behalf. His relationships within sports and intercollegiate athletics are extensive, having spent twenty years coaching in professional and intercollegiate football and working for five Hall of Fame coaches.

A national search for the position is currently underway.

Daytripper
October 28th, 2016, 11:56 AM

Looks like it's GO BIG OR GO HOME for Delaware. Good luck on the search. FCS is better when the Blue Hens are good.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2016, 12:05 PM
That's different - Delaware conducting an actual head coach search rather than firing a guy in the dead of night an propping up a successor the next day.

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2016, 12:18 PM

Hmm, was he in charge of hiring Helfrich? xeyebrowx

RedFlash
October 28th, 2016, 01:00 PM

http://rmucolonials.com/news/2016/10/28/football-banaszak-inks-contract-extension.aspx (http://rmucolonials.com/news/2016/10/28/football-banaszak-inks-contract-extension.aspx)

Interesting, but if you're a kid thinking about going there, it has to be a bit of a red flag seeing as he'll likely be gone if things don't change in 2017.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 28th, 2016, 01:02 PM

Lehigh has been quite successful the last 45 years or so. Whitehead won a national title and didn't hang around too long once the team's performance slipped a bit. Small left after winning Lehigh's first PL title in '93. Higgins headed to Detroit to become their QB coaching after and undefeated regular season in 2000. Lembo was 8-3 and the victim of the "Big Hurt" when bolted for Elon.

Coen is closest a Lehigh football has come to getting fired in 50 years probably. Had they not turned it around in 2010 he was going to get canned imo. Sterrett brough Cech in to either help right the ship or take over. If Cech knew Coen was going to remain I don't think he would have come back for a second go around.

Lehigh's a great gig. Their AD Joe Sterrett is extremely pro football. He lives and breaths Lehigh football.

PAllen
October 28th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Lehigh has been quite successful the last 45 years or so. Whitehead won a national title and didn't hang around too long once the team's performance slipped a bit. Small left after winning Lehigh's first PL title in '93. Higgins headed to Detroit to become their QB coaching after and undefeated regular season in 2000. Lembo was 8-3 and the victim of the "Big Hurt" when bolted for Elon.

Coen is closest a Lehigh football has come to getting fired in 50 years probably. Had they not turned it around in 2010 he was going to get canned imo. Sterrett brough Cech in to either help right the ship or take over. If Cech knew Coen was going to remain I don't think he would have come back for a second go around.

Lehigh's a great gig. Their AD Joe Sterrett is extremely pro football. He lives and breaths Lehigh football.

Not sure how that works. How do you bring a guy in to help out a program with the promise of taking over if it doesn't work out?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 28th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Not sure how that works. How do you bring a guy in to help out a program with the promise of taking over if it doesn't work out?

I don't think there was any sort of promise between the AD and coach. I just think Cech thought it was his opportunity to take over perhaps. Either Coen would be asked to leave or perhaps he'd decide to leave on his own terms.

LeopardBall10
October 28th, 2016, 02:51 PM

Uh... wow... I guess it really is all about the spin? Don't see how this makes any sense.

LeopardBall10
October 28th, 2016, 02:54 PM

That's big boy money right there. Wonder what it feels like to have an administration that wants to win... xbawlingx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 29th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Lafayette beat Georgetown today 17-3. The Leopards have a bye next before finishing the year at Colgate then against Lehigh for #151.

Holy Cross lost to Colgate 26-8. From the sounds of it the Crusaders put forth another terrible performance. With no shot at a winning record Gilmore's fate has to be sealed imo.

carney2
October 30th, 2016, 09:40 AM
The Leopards have a bye next before finishing the year at Colgate then against Lehigh for #151.

That's 152, but then Squawkers have always been arithmetically challenged. For those of you who have trouble keeping up with this, the game is in Easton this year and Lehigh is odd. And this is 2016.

superman7515
November 14th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Abilene Christian fires Ken Collums.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/abilene-christian-university-fires-head-football-coach-ken-coillums/154829703

ABILENE, Texas - A day after the Abilene Christian University Wildcats lost their season closer to Southeastern Louisiana, the school announced the termination of head football coach Ken Collums.Collums, who had a 24-32 record as head coach, worked with the Wildcats for 14 years. He was head coach for five seasons.

ACU Athletic Director Lee De Leon said Sunday the decision to release Collums from his contract was the hardest decision he had made at the school. He said Collums "is a wonderful man of God who has worked tirelessly to lead our football program through a difficult time of transition."

The Wildcats football team closed out a three-year transition from the Lone Star Conference in NCAA Division II to the Southland Conference in Division I. The school is also in the process of constructing a new stadium for the team, which will be opened in Sept. 2017...

TheRevSFA
November 14th, 2016, 09:52 AM
I think Conque is on the hot seat, as for perfect candidate? Good question.

Catatonic
November 14th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Abilene Christian fires Ken Collums.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/abilene-christian-university-fires-head-football-coach-ken-coillums/154829703

De leon will use a search firm to help recruit a new HC. Says he is looking for: a committed Christian (keeping the Christian in Abilene Christian), structure and discipline, excellent recruiting skills and probably Texas ties. I dunno who best fits these criteria. It will be interesting to see who expresses interest.

Model Citizen
November 14th, 2016, 10:02 AM
This season, Davidson is winless against the Pioneer + Georgetown. One PFL win in four years.

You might think the coach's seat is hot, but this is Davidson. I dunno...

Daytripper
November 14th, 2016, 10:10 AM
De leon will use a search firm to help recruit a new HC. Says he is looking for: a committed Christian (keeping the Christian in Abilene Christian), structure and discipline, excellent recruiting skills and probably Texas ties. I dunno who best fits these criteria. It will be interesting to see who expresses interest.

Art Briles??xcoffeex

crusader11
November 14th, 2016, 10:28 AM
For Tom Gilmore, it comes down to how his buyout is structured. He received a three year extension at the end of the 2015 season, but many surmised there would be a cheap buyout in the deal.

Injuries decimated HC this season, but Nate Pine certainly is more than justified to make a change based on what we've seen since 2012.

Catatonic
November 14th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Art Briles??xcoffeex

Pretty sure that's not gonna happen. But what do I know? I was certain Clinton was gonna bury Trump on election day. xthumbsdownx

Daytripper
November 14th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Pretty sure that's not gonna happen. But what do I know? I was certain Clinton was gonna bury Trump on election day. xthumbsdownx

He's going to be looking for a gig...any gig...to redeem himself. Who better to offer him a chance for redemption from his un-Christian acts at Baylor than other Christians? Only a religious school could justify hiring this guy. I give you a 10% chance of getting him.

Catatonic
November 14th, 2016, 11:21 AM
He's going to be looking for a gig...any gig...to redeem himself. Who better to offer him a chance for redemption from his un-Christian acts at Baylor than other Christians? Only a religious school could justify hiring this guy. I give you a 10% chance of getting him.

Well, Briles does have a master's from ACU and Knows how to recruit Texas. That would be a very gutsy hire, for sure.

Phil Longo is on some fan's wish list.

Daytripper
November 14th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I didn't know he had his graduate degree from ACU. I bump your chances to 20%!

Longo is a good coach. That is a legit possibility. I know he's on the wish list of some Delaware fans, also.

LeopardBall10
November 14th, 2016, 01:01 PM
De leon will use a search firm to help recruit a new HC.

How many FCS schools are willing to pony up the dough for the HC search firm? Does it really get better candidates or just get jobs for the friends of the search firm?

Sammy94
November 14th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Well, Briles does have a master's from ACU and Knows how to recruit Texas. That would be a very gutsy hire, for sure.

Phil Longo is on some fan's wish list.

No chance for that Briles but maybe Kendal?

citdog
November 14th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I still think Kevin Higgins would be a perfect fit for Lafayette...

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2016, 02:56 PM

If it were 1999. At this point I would hire LFN if he could win some darn football games.

Catamount87
November 14th, 2016, 03:06 PM

One has to believe that Fowler is on a really, really warm to hot seat now. Sad thing is, over the last several weeks they have come on a bit, 3-1. (Granted the wins are against ETSU, VMI and a collapsing WCU.) Worst yet, they had probably the most brutal Sept schedule of anyone in a LONG time, 4 ranked teams including an FBS team. Even if they'd been a decent team, starting 0-4 was a good possibility. Flip their schedule around and chances are Fowler's seat would only be a bit warm and not hot.

crusader11
November 14th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Chris Villarrial is an interesting name if the Lafayette and Holy Cross jobs were to open up.

citdog
November 14th, 2016, 03:08 PM
One has to believe that Fowler is on a really, really warm to hot seat now. Sad thing is, over the last several weeks they have come on a bit, 3-1. (Granted the wins are against ETSU, VMI and a collapsing WCU.) Worst yet, they had probably the most brutal Sept schedule of anyone in a LONG time, 4 ranked teams including an FBS team. Even if they'd been a decent team, starting 0-4 was a good possibility. Flip their schedule around and chances are Fowler's seat would only be a bit warm and not hot.

safe to say that fowlers seat is HOT! HOT! HOT!!!???

Catatonic
November 14th, 2016, 03:31 PM
No chance for that Briles but maybe Kendal?

Wonder what Tripper's odds are on this one? Higher than for Art I'd wager. He, too, might be looking for a place to light after this season and isn't quite the lightning rod his dad would be.

Daytripper
November 14th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Wonder what Tripper's odds are on this one? Higher than for Art I'd wager. He, too, might be looking for a place to light after this season and isn't quite the lightning rod his dad would be.

I'd say there is a better chance of getting Art than Kendal. Kendal will need to get another P5 coordinator job before anybody gives him a chance as HC. The only person he as ever worked for is his dad, and I think that would make AD nervous. Art just wants a HC job. He doesn't have to worry about money or his "career prospects. Kendal does.

ngineer
November 14th, 2016, 10:18 PM

Kevin would be a good fit for a lot of schools. A good coach and a better man. He really turned around our program that was going through a "mediocre" phase in the mid-90's. I would hate tos see him have to put up with the Laughyette administration.

Catatonic
November 15th, 2016, 02:29 AM
I'd say there is a better chance of getting Art than Kendal. Kendal will need to get another P5 coordinator job before anybody gives him a chance as HC. The only person he as ever worked for is his dad, and I think that would make AD nervous. Art just wants a HC job. He doesn't have to worry about money or his "career prospects. Kendal does.

I have done a good bit of reading about the role Briles played in the mess at Baylor. There is a case to be made that he was unfairly scapegoated for the institution's systemic failures. Example:

Volleyball Coach phones Art to tell him a VB player reports she was assaulted by a FB player and is thinking about going to the police. VB coach also informs the AD.

Art tells VB coach he supports her informing the police.

Art confronts the football player. FB player admits to consensual sex. Meanwhile the VB player does not file a police report. The Baylor Office of Judicial Affairs is not informed per university policy. Art punishes the player for consensual sex, a violation of the Baylor Honor Code but does not remove him from the team for sexual assault. Art is later held responsible for not informing Baylor's office of Judicial affairs (this is before Baylor had a Title IX office).

The question many Baylor supporters ask is why Art was responsible for informing police or judicial affairs? He had only third hand knowledge of the alleged incident. Wasn't it the duty of the VB coach or AD to file the report?

There are several similar incidents in which there was clearly a failure to respond appropriately somewhere in the system but Art's culpability is less clear.

Regardless, whoever hires Art is likely to receive a lot of heat from the national press, as well as concerned parents and alums of their own institution. Even if ACU officials were convinced that he was unfairly targeted by the press and others, I am not at all convinced ACU could or should go that route. The risk:reward ratio just doesn't make it a prudent move.

elcid96
November 15th, 2016, 04:55 AM

HOT? That seat is on FIRE!!

Catatonic
November 15th, 2016, 05:25 AM
How many FCS schools are willing to pony up the dough for the HC search firm? Does it really get better candidates or just get jobs for the friends of the search firm?

I dunno. I know some ACU alums are wondering where we came up with the money to buy out the last year of the current coach's contract, hire a new coach and staff at what will undoubtedly cost us more than we are paying the current coach/staff, in addition to the bucks needed for search firm. Maybe from the same donors who are building our new 50M stadium?

I will let you know whether it was worth it to hire an outside firm after I know who we hire. :D

Catamount87
November 15th, 2016, 08:10 AM
I dunno. I know some ACU alums are wondering where we came up with the money to buy out the last year of the current coach's contract, hire a new coach and staff at what will undoubtedly cost us more than we are paying the current coach/staff, in addition to the bucks needed for search firm. Maybe from the same donors who are building our new 50M stadium?

I will let you know whether it was worth it to hire an outside firm after I know who we hire. :D

I can tell you how WCU did it a couple of years ago, 2 FBS games a season for a couple of seasons. Talk about putting a new coach under the gun.

seelarke
November 15th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I suspect that Harold Nichols will be gone at PC after this year. The 2014 season as a fluke from our stand point of winning games and haven't been competitive at all. PC could turn things over to current DC and former HC Tommy Spangler (would be the least expensive option I'd imagine). Who would I love to see, Will Hall, current HC at West Georgia. He coached at PC for a year back in 2005 and has done a pretty good job every where he's been. Also wouldn't be surprised to see PC stick with Nichols and bring in a new OC next year, or for PC to go back to the high school ranks and bring in a local HC.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Kerwin Bell to FCS?

Catatonic
November 16th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Kerwin Bell to FCS?

Well, VSU has a history of being a springboard for coaches who move up. So, yeah, why not?

There are several good D2 coaches that FCS programs will no doubt look to to fill vacancies.

LeopardBall10
November 16th, 2016, 07:15 AM
There are several good D2 coaches that FCS programs will no doubt look to to fill vacancies.

There are also some FCS coaches who are going to get poached for FBS. There is already talk on The Scoop and Twitter that Chadwell is a candidate for the Georgia State job. They are going to be looking for a younger, enthusiastic coach who can recruit the metro Atlanta and South Carolina areas and based on their budget from the previous staff its not like they can go and hire some of the other young guns already in FBS.

Catatonic
November 16th, 2016, 07:26 AM
There are also some FCS coaches who are going to get poached for FBS. There is already talk on The Scoop and Twitter that Chadwell is a candidate for the Georgia State job. They are going to be looking for a younger, enthusiastic coach who can recruit the metro Atlanta and South Carolina areas and based on their budget from the previous staff its not like they can go and hire some of the other young guns already in FBS.

Ga State is going to need someone very special to make that program competitive. No fan or alumni base. No history. No real sense of campus community. Very good academics in some areas but still essentially an urban commuter school. But I agree with your main point--higher level schools will spend the off season poaching lower level schools unless they have the budget to poach from a fellow FBS or P5 school.

superman7515
November 16th, 2016, 09:41 AM
...and based on their budget from the previous staff its not like they can go and hire some of the other young guns already in FBS.

Maybe they should have saved that money they dropped from the ceiling to try bringing in fans.

Mattymc727
November 16th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Can UD take Ryan Carty back? You can have him.

CID1990
November 16th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Ga State is going to need someone very special to make that program competitive. No fan or alumni base. No history. No real sense of campus community. Very good academics in some areas but still essentially an urban commuter school. But I agree with your main point--higher level schools will spend the off season poaching lower level schools unless they have the budget to poach from a fellow FBS or P5 school.

Chadwell is the perfect fit at GSU. Im surprised I overlooked them as a program that might go after him.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2016, 03:50 PM

BlueHen fans keep mentioning that name, but I'm not one of em... no Thanks

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Chadwell is the perfect fit at GSU. Im surprised I overlooked them as a program that might go after him.

I hate to keep dropping this name but Kerwin Bell is being rumored for that job

Catatonic
November 16th, 2016, 04:29 PM
So right now there are two FCS openings--Abilene Christian and Delaware? Correct? ACU's AD would like to finish up the search by Dec 1 (not likely). What's Delaware's time line?

ACU's likely candidates will come from the ACU network, a broader network of faith based institutions such as Liberty, contacts via our AD's network, with additional names from the search firm. Names I am hearing include a couple of D2 Head Coaches, FCS coordinators, an FBS coordinator or two, P5 and G5 position coaches. No less than 15 names have come up and that's without knowing anything about our AD's contacts or contacts via the search firm. Most people estimate about 100 total applicants, although that number will quickly go down as a lot of less qualified guys will be screened out early.

Our AD likes to swing for the fences, so I expect him to reach out to test the waters with higher profile guys early in the process. The most likely hire will come from either the D2 head coach or FCS coordinator ranks and I would be surprised if we hired anyone without a background on the offensive side of the ball and probably someone with contacts in Texas.

I think Delaware is a little ahead of us in the process.

WeAreThePride
November 16th, 2016, 10:46 PM
I have a feeling Coach Klieman's seat is ice cold. :D

katstrapper
November 17th, 2016, 05:58 AM

Rumblings from who? If he was looking to leave after 3 years, then everything he said at his press conference when hired was crap. But, if he was to leave I would understand why. The AD is a pompass azz, the football facilities are WAY outdated. New turf and a scoreboard aren't going to get it done.

If there is anyone in the Ath Dept that needs to go its the Ath Director.

katstrapper
November 17th, 2016, 06:10 AM
I want to know how Ray Woodard at Lamar is able to hold on to his job, year in and year out...

He is 31-38 in 6 seasons and has had one winning season, in 2014. This year the Cardinals are currently 3-7 and have lost 4 straight including losses to HBU and Incarnate Word at home.

Daytripper
November 17th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Rumblings from who? If he was looking to leave after 3 years, then everything he said at his press conference when hired was crap. But, if he was to leave I would understand why. The AD is a pompass azz, the football facilities are WAY outdated. New turf and a scoreboard aren't going to get it done.

If there is anyone in the Ath Dept that needs to go its the Ath Director.

I would be okay with K.C. leaving after this season. I begrudge no person for doing what he/she thinks is best for them and their family. I would prefer, though, that he leave after hoisting the national championship trophy.... maybe that is just me,,,,,

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlSH2gsSrxJySnS/giphy.gif

TheEagleSHSU
November 17th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I would be okay with K.C. leaving after this season. I begrudge no person for doing what he/she thinks is best for them and their family. I would prefer, though, that he leave after hoisting the national championship trophy.... maybe that is just me,,,,,

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlSH2gsSrxJySnS/giphy.gif

If Tom Herman leaves for UT and UH becomes available, I could see it. However, I would think UH would try for a splashier hire.

If KCK goes, I see longo staying and being HC.

Daytripper
November 17th, 2016, 09:53 AM
If Tom Herman leaves for UT and UH becomes available, I could see it. However, I would think UH would try for a splashier hire.

If KCK goes, I see longo staying and being HC.

I agree with the first part. I am adamantly against the second. With few exceptions (Klieman being one) promoting within doesn't usually work.

TheEagleSHSU
November 17th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I agree with the first part. I am adamantly against the second. With few exceptions (Klieman being one) promoting within doesn't usually work.

I agree with you on hiring within, You could also see Longo going with him to wherever or if KCK does go. In my gut, I don't see KCK going anywhere unless we can upgrade the facilities and get him more cash.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 17th, 2016, 01:07 PM

I can think of another example of hiring from within working, when Tennessee announced they were canning Johnny Majors in 1992. They looked to Phil "the Phrancise" Fulmer. I need not tell you how that worked out for them. Was The Citadel an internal hire as well?

- - - Updated - - -

I can think of another example of hiring from within working, when Tennessee announced they were canning Johnny Majors in 1992. They looked to Phil "the Phranchise" Fulmer. I need not tell you how that worked out for them. Was The Citadel an internal hire as well?

Daytripper
November 17th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I can think of another example of hiring from within working, when Tennessee announced they were canning Johnny Majors in 1992. They looked to Phil "the Phrancise" Fulmer. I need not tell you how that worked out for them. Was The Citadel an internal hire as well?

- - - Updated - - -

I can think of another example of hiring from within working, when Tennessee announced they were canning Johnny Majors in 1992. They looked to Phil "the Phranchise" Fulmer. I need not tell you how that worked out for them. Was The Citadel an internal hire as well?

You can always find some successes. Jimbo Fisher at FSU is an example. But it is much more likely to fail....

dgtw
November 18th, 2016, 03:44 AM
Fuller got the job by stabbing Majors in the back and Jimbo was planned as the successor when he was hired.

Catatonic
November 18th, 2016, 03:53 AM
I don't know who Abilene Christian's perfect candidate is just yet but our AD and the search committee have been ringing their doorbells to with them on their home turf. So if you see strangers huddled in a corner with one of your coaches it might be us.

Daytripper
November 18th, 2016, 05:41 AM
I don't know who Abilene Christian's perfect candidate is just yet but our AD and the search committee have been ringing their doorbells to with them on their home turf. So if you see strangers huddled in a corner with one of your coaches it might be us.

Now I WOULD be pissed if Keeler moved within the SLC like Conque! But I don't think Keeler fits the "profile" that ACU would be looking for....but who knows?

Catatonic
November 18th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Now I WOULD be pissed if Keeler moved within the SLC like Conque! But I don't think Keeler fits the "profile" that ACU would be looking for....but who knows?

Keeler is beyond our price point. Longo, maybe, but not Keeler. Don't know anything about whether Longo fits our profile or not though.

LeopardBall10
November 18th, 2016, 07:18 AM
FCS Black Sunday is nearly upon us. I guess we may see just how many of these coaches really are on the hot seat, although I feel like most FCS ADs don't fire staffs the day after the end of the regular season like the FBS does.

Catatonic
November 18th, 2016, 08:35 AM
FCS Black Sunday is nearly upon us. I guess we may see just how many of these coaches really are on the hot seat, although I feel like most FCS ADs don't fire staffs the day after the end of the regular season like the FBS does.

Ours did. I think he made up his mind to make a change several weeks ago and was just waiting until the end of the season to make the move.

catbob
November 18th, 2016, 12:25 PM
I would imagine Bob Stitt is going to be on a very hot seat if he loses to MSU this weekend and misses the playoffs, which would mean losing 4 of the last 5 games and finishing outside the top 25.

BEAR
November 18th, 2016, 12:50 PM
How much was ACU's coach making? How much are they willing to pay another coach...especially one from a competing SLC school?

Catatonic
November 18th, 2016, 12:54 PM
How much was ACU's coach making? How much are they willing to pay another coach...especially one from a competing SLC school?

152k currently and I don't know how much more they are willing to pay but enough to pay the current market. 175-225 is what I have heard.

BEAR
November 18th, 2016, 01:07 PM
152k currently and I don't know how much more they are willing to pay but enough to pay the current market. 175-225 is what I have heard.

Well, the good news is you will find a good one. I'm just glad your range there is about what Campbell is making at UCA. No real strong pay to move in that case. xlolx

Sammy94
November 18th, 2016, 01:15 PM

Not sure what it will take to move him, if any amount at all but if I was looking, this is the guy I would call first.

http://bearcatsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=324&path=football

Catatonic
November 18th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Not sure what it will take to move him, if any amount at all but if I was looking, this is the guy I would call first.

http://bearcatsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=324&path=football

Yup. Me too. He's kept his school at the top of a very tough conference since he was named HC.

Our fan site has a "wish list" of about 10 coaches. He is definitely near the top. Two or three other D2 Head Coaches are on the list as well, Wristen from CSUP and Carthel from TAMUC maybe another that I don't recall now. Also some FCS and FBS assistants/coordinators. Carthel and a couple of the FBS assistants have an ACU connection.

Since we did our list a couple more coaches have expressed an interest. Guys we hadn't thought about from SEC and B12 schools. Not sure how serious they are there is more interest in our position than I imagined.

Daytripper
November 18th, 2016, 02:10 PM

I hope you guys go with somebody who has had some success as a head coach, maybe at the DII level. Taking a chance on a coordinator is risky.

Catatonic
November 18th, 2016, 02:41 PM
I hope you guys go with somebody who has had some success as a head coach, maybe at the DII level. Taking a chance on a coordinator is risky.

I don't know what the thinking of the AD is but it has not gone unnoticed by our fans that the two top teams in our conference both made recent hires that had won national championships-Keeler (FCS) and Campbell (both Juco and D2).

I thought they would target has withdrawn. Leading contenders are D2 head coaches. If they are the coaches mentioned above i like it.

superman7515
November 18th, 2016, 11:59 PM

The (very early) leader in the rumor mill clubhouse right now is Justin Lustig, head coach of the Edinboro Fighting Scots. Played at Bucknell as a four-year starting CB & safety, previous assistant coaching positions at Ball State under Lembo, Villanova, Eastern Illinois, and UL Lafayette.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2016, 01:49 AM
Working pretty well for us.

Daytripper
November 19th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Working pretty well for us.

Like I said, with a few exceptions....reading comprehension is a learned skill.

ngineer
November 19th, 2016, 09:09 PM
7 hours after The Rivalry's conclusion, and not word on the fate of Frank Tavani???!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2016, 09:12 PM
7 hours after The Rivalry's conclusion, and not word on the fate of Frank Tavani???!

He completely expects to be back next year. Read some of his quotes on the 'Pard board. Scary....

LeopardBall10
November 19th, 2016, 09:50 PM
He completely expects to be back next year. Read some of his quotes on the 'Pard board. Scary....

His quotes in the post game conference make him seem unhinged. It's almost like he actually thinks he is owed this job for life. He is actually discussing his contract and tenure with his players... ugly.

SumItUp
November 19th, 2016, 10:54 PM
The seat of the highest paid FCS head coach is getting hot.

Catatonic
November 20th, 2016, 04:50 AM
Potential candidates for the ACU coaching job include OU HS recruiting director Steve Spurrier jr & TAMU Commerce HC Colby Carthel, per Twitter

Spurrier has a non-coaching job at Oklahoma and wants back on the field. Head Ball Coach: The Next Generation?

Carthel has turned around a bad D2 Texas A&M Commerce team. The Lions advanced to the second round of the D2 playoffs yesterday. Carthel's dad was a volunteer coach at Abilene Christian for nine years. Deep family connections here.

Lots of other names in the mix. It's still early although our AD says he would like to wrap this up by December 1.

Daytripper
November 20th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Potential candidates for the ACU coaching job include OU HS recruiting director Steve Spurrier jr & TAMU Commerce HC Colby Carthel, per Twitter

Spurrier has a non-coaching job at Oklahoma and wants back on the field. Head Ball Coach: The Next Generation?

Carthel has turned around a bad D2 Texas A&M Commerce team. The Lions advanced to the second round of the D2 playoffs yesterday. Carthel's dad was a volunteer coach at Abilene Christian for nine years. Deep family connections here.

Lots of other names in the mix. It's still early although our AD says he would like to wrap this up by December 1.

I think ACU is an attractive job. Good school. Decent size town. A conference you can compete in. A lot to like.

Catatonic
November 20th, 2016, 08:07 AM
I think ACU is an attractive job. Good school. Decent size town. A conference you can compete in. A lot to like.

Record enrollment. 95 million plus in new buildings going up, including 50 million for a new stadium. Low student:teacher ratio. Unique environment. Brand spanking new stadium next year. Young, dynamic and visionary Prez and AD. What a Burger near campus. Just a few things to like...

PaladinNation
November 20th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Well… us Furman fans are playing the what's gonna happen game. Does Bruce Fowler stay for a lame duck last year of his contract? Or does the admin pay up? Rumors have this number over 600K.

I like what I see from new AD Mike Buddie, and new school Prez Dr Davis. Evidence points to FU coaches now have performance reviews and expectations… finish top 3 in the SoCon. Still Buddie could have his hands tied by the expense of a buyout and how that could affect what could be offered to a new coach and staff.

If Furman does move on, I would love to see Clay Hendrix (Air Force) Ashley Ingram (Navy) Chadwell (CSU) get serious consideration. Chadwell at Furman? Furman and Greenville I think would be attractive to his coaching staff, some have upstate ties, full staff pay and cost of living gives Furman IMO a big upside.

An interesting angle is AD Buddie came from Wake and Wake has two coaches I would add to that first hot list.
Kevin Higgins could be a very interesting choice for Furman, maybe the brilliant choice. The other is Warren Ruggiero. I loved his offense during his days at Elon, and love him or hate Scott Riddle was a thorn in Furman's side.

Saying all that my top three candidates would be Hendrix or Ingram, Chadwell or another young coach (D2), and Higgins.
One final thought when Furman moves on from Fowler this season or next… I expect Furman to do as they did with the recent basketball coaching search to hire a consulting firm.

ngineer
November 20th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Well… us Furman fans are playing the what's gonna happen game. Does Bruce Fowler stay for a lame duck last year of his contract? Or does the admin pay up? Rumors have this number over 600K.

I like what I see from new AD Mike Buddie, and new school Prez Dr Davis. Evidence points to FU coaches now have performance reviews and expectations… finish top 3 in the SoCon. Still Buddie could have his hands tied by the expense of a buyout and how that could affect what could be offered to a new coach and staff.

If Furman does move on, I would love to see Clay Hendrix (Air Force) Ashley Ingram (Navy) Chadwell (CSU) get serious consideration. Chadwell at Furman? Furman and Greenville I think would be attractive to his coaching staff, some have upstate ties, full staff pay and cost of living gives Furman IMO a big upside.

An interesting angle is AD Buddie came from Wake and Wake has two coaches I would add to that first hot list.
Kevin Higgins could be a very interesting choice for Furman, maybe the brilliant choice. The other is Warren Ruggiero. I loved his offense during his days at Elon, and love him or hate Scott Riddle was a thorn in Furman's side.

Saying all that my top three candidates would be Hendrix or Ingram, Chadwell or another young coach (D2), and Higgins.
One final thought when Furman moves on from Fowler this season or next… I expect Furman to do as they did with the recent basketball coaching search to hire a consulting firm.

Can't go wrong with Higgins. He is a good coach and a better person. Also, tuned into the the whole person, not just the football player. Makes academics a priority. He could have had a job for life at Lehigh.

ngineer
November 20th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Per report in today's Morning Call, Tavani has no interest in retiring. He will either die on the job or be removed, and I don't see LC removing him. He does have some legitimate points about the injury snakebites over the past two years, but then, most programs suffer that and the good ones find a way to turn around. He's had 7 straight losing seasons, although the one championship four years ago. Will be interesting if they make any changes below him with an "HC in waiting", like Troxel?

neverobeyed
November 20th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Record enrollment. 95 million plus in new buildings going up, including 50 million for a new stadium. Low student:teacher ratio. Unique environment. Brand spanking new stadium next year. Young, dynamic and visionary Prez and AD. What a Burger near campus. Just a few things to like...

You buried the lead.

LeopardBall10
November 21st, 2016, 07:16 AM
Will be interesting if they make any changes below him with an "HC in waiting", like Troxel?

What legitimate coach is going to jump on board this sinking ship right now? Tavani apparently has another year on his contract, but they haven't announced an extension (thank God). The president is holding committee meetings with an outside consultant on the athletic department, and the program has three wins over the last 2 years. If you force out the assistants now Frank won't be able to fill his staff with anyone worthy for a one season death knell.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2016, 10:20 AM
What legitimate coach is going to jump on board this sinking ship right now? Tavani apparently has another year on his contract, but they haven't announced an extension (thank God). The president is holding committee meetings with an outside consultant on the athletic department, and the program has three wins over the last 2 years. If you force out the assistants now Frank won't be able to fill his staff with anyone worthy for a one season death knell.

Totally agree, and would argue that nobody would want to come work for Frank period, even if we announced he has 3 more years. He doesn't do his job, doesn't help develop his own coaches and will probably throw you under the bus on the way out. He is is the lamest of lame ducks. He can't do the job himself, so "working harder" wont do a darn thing. Nobody of quality wants to work for this guy. Every minute he continues to be the coach he sets the program back, and benefits only himself.

LeopardBall10
November 21st, 2016, 11:58 AM
Ron Gould at UC Davis is out along with Nichols at Presbyterian.

Schism55
November 21st, 2016, 12:19 PM
Ron Gould at UC Davis is out along with Nichols at Presbyterian.
Sad whats become of a once great UC Davis program.
Hopefully this is the first step in changing that.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 21st, 2016, 12:38 PM
Poor Lafayette....

2010 2-9
2011 4-7
2012 5-6
2013 5-7 League Champs
2014 5-6
2015 1-10
2016 2-9

LeopardBall10
November 22nd, 2016, 08:12 AM
Add Lamar to the list of teams without a coach. Ray Woodard was let go as the only head coach since the program was resurrected in 2008. From personal experience I can tell you that starting (or restarting a program) is near impossible. The next guy they hire will have a much different, and easier row to hoe.

Daytripper
November 22nd, 2016, 09:13 AM
Add Lamar to the list of teams without a coach. Ray Woodard was let go as the only head coach since the program was resurrected in 2008. From personal experience I can tell you that starting (or restarting a program) is near impossible. The next guy they hire will have a much different, and easier row to hoe.

It is tough starting a new program, but he had 7 years to do it and failed. Lamar has a lot going for it. They have a nice stadium and the largest endowment in the SLC. You can win there.

McNeese75
November 22nd, 2016, 10:20 AM
It is tough starting a new program, but he had 7 years to do it and failed. Lamar has a lot going for it. They have a nice stadium and the largest endowment in the SLC. You can win there.

Hopefully they hire a CAA guy that wants to recruit in the Northeast xnodx

Catbooster
November 22nd, 2016, 10:31 AM
I would imagine Bob Stitt is going to be on a very hot seat if he loses to MSU this weekend and misses the playoffs, which would mean losing 4 of the last 5 games and finishing outside the top 25.
So what do the Griz fans here think?

I dropped by egriz Sunday (ok, I admit I'm not above enjoying a little schadenfreude at the expense of Grizzlies ;) ) and the torches and pitchforks were out in force as expected. Like most school fan sites, I know egriz isn't representative of the typical Griz fan (There was a guy on BN that wanted Choate fired immediately when we were 4 games into the season). I don't imagine Stitt would be canned after only 2 years, with another year on his contract, but how warm is his seat as he enters next season?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2016, 11:35 AM

I dropped by egriz Sunday (ok, I admit I'm not above enjoying a little schadenfreude at the expense of Grizzlies ;) ) and the torches and pitchforks were out in force as expected. Like most school fan sites, I know egriz isn't representative of the typical Griz fan (There was a guy on BN that wanted Choate fired immediately when we were 4 games into the season). I don't imagine Stitt would be canned after only 2 years, with another year on his contract, but how warm is his seat as he enters next season?

I think anybody that wants him gone right now is a bit of a reactionary dumbass. The program has been through very much change and turmoil and the last 5 years and I think the seat has indeed warmed up to the point that he really does need to get things moving in a direction and a level we expect to be at. But, I think expectations of a new guy coming in were far higher than they should be after his first game.

He also got rid of so many players last year trying to get us where he needs us to be (his vision) that we are so young everywhere and had lots of inexperience so do I expect next year will be moving in his direction...of course, that is what hopeful fans do. But with the complete changing of one system to another system, back to the original style and so forth has put us in some trouble, as well as a lack of exution, and a defense that can't seem to be prepped up to play the particular style of opponent on any give week.

What he does next year is the key. Talking about a change at the top now is god damn idiocy if you ask me. You have to give a guy an appropriate amount of time to get things in place and make his stand. At the end of this season though...we were going backwards so there is much ground to be made up for sure.

Our D just flat sucked at the end and that is every bit as concerning as anything on the offense. There is really good talent there being wasted.

Bisonator
November 22nd, 2016, 11:56 AM
I think anybody that wants him gone right now is a bit of a reactionary dumbass. The program has been through very much change and turmoil and the last 5 years and I think the seat has indeed warmed up to the point that he really does need to get things moving in a direction and a level we expect to be at. But, I think expectations of a new guy coming in were far higher than they should be after his first game.

He also got rid of so many players last year trying to get us where he needs us to be (his vision) that we are so young everywhere and had lots of inexperience so do I expect next year will be moving in his direction...of course, that is what hopeful fans do. But with the complete changing of one system to another system, back to the original style and so forth has put us in some trouble, as well as a lack of exution, and a defense that can't seem to be prepped up to play the particular style of opponent on any give week.

What he does next year is the key. Talking about a change at the top now is god damn idiocy if you ask me. You have to give a guy an appropriate amount of time to get things in place and make his stand. At the end of this season though...we were going backwards so there is much ground to be made up for sure.

Our D just flat sucked at the end and that is every bit as concerning as anything on the offense. There is really good talent there being wasted.
Didn't last years DC get blamed too? Maybe he wasn't the problem after all.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2016, 12:21 PM
Didn't last years DC get blamed too? Maybe he wasn't the problem after all.

Maybe he did but it wasn't by me or anyone around the program that I recall. I can't speak to what was being done on egriz etc.

What I had said many times is that if our offense got just a little better at executing, our defense would be unbelievable. They spent nearly 3/4 of the game on the field season before this one. This year I really think our schemes were a big problem. We were so exploitable this year at the end it was really hard to watch.

superman7515
November 23rd, 2016, 06:20 PM
"Flea" Harrell will not return to the Howard Bison next year. While not technically fired, he will not be offered a contract extension, and his contract ends in December.

http://thehilltoponline.com/2016/11/23/howard-bison-head-football-coach-gary-harrell-to-depart-after-six-seasons/

Harrell became the head coach in 2011, taking over a 1-10 team from Carey Bailey. He went 5-6 in his first season, 7-4 in the second, but then was suspended for all of 2013 with assistant Ray Petty taking over and the team never recovered, going 3-19 the last two seasons.

superman7515
November 23rd, 2016, 06:31 PM
In other news, Brock Spack (Illinois State) has applied for the head coaching job at Purdue. Spack is a Purdue alum who served as an assistant coach there previously.

Catbooster
November 24th, 2016, 01:40 AM

That's my take on it as well - too early to tell, but some reason for concern. I think a new coach is similar to a high school recruit: you can't really tell how good they're going to be until a few years after you've got them.

And the expectations were probably too high among some of the fans. You guys have had good success on a lot of the new coaches, so it seems some of the fans forgot that new coaches often take a few years to get their system going. In a way, you've been cursed by having too much success in the past. ;)

ngineer
November 24th, 2016, 09:42 PM
If you have seen the Patriot League Week 13 Thread, then you know the thermostats have been turned off at Holy Cross and Lafayette. Business as usual next year.

Silenoz
November 25th, 2016, 05:10 AM

Most of me is too apathetic anymore to get riled up. And with the lack of FCOA I'm not getting my hopes up that there is going to be any turnaround anytime soon. The Big Sky will become as irrelevant in football as it is in basketball.

Which, honestly, I don't even care about. With 3 little kids I don't have time for it anytime soon. So, again, apathy.

dgtw
November 25th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Poor Lafayette....

2010 2-9
2011 4-7
2012 5-6
2013 5-7 League Champs
2014 5-6
2015 1-10
2016 2-9

They won the league at 5-7?

ngineer
November 25th, 2016, 08:23 AM

Yes. 5-6 regular season. Lost horribly to UNH in FCS first round. Without looking it up, they were either 4-1 or 5-0 in the league.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 25th, 2016, 10:51 AM

Yup, first below .500 team ever to reach the playoffs. The Leopards are the perfect program to own that honor. Nothing about them makes any sense

This happened before with the Leopards. Lafayette won the Patriot League in 1992 before when they finished the season with a 5-6 record. They lost to D2 East Stroudsburg by 17, Penn by 20, Hofstra by 21, Columbia by 15, Dartmouth 12 but amazingly lost to (a then really bad) Navy 7-0 before rolling through the league. I'm pretty sure the finale against Lehigh was for the title. The Leopards crushed Lehigh 54-20. The then Engineers (I think) finished the year 5-5-1. Lafayette had one player that year and he was a great one, Erik Marsh.

BEAR
November 25th, 2016, 10:07 PM
SHSU's coach Keeler is on the hot seat. Why? Because an FBS team is about to throw some serious cash his way. But Sam fans knew it was coming....its just a matter of who....when? not so much a question...very very soon.

Nickels
November 25th, 2016, 10:47 PM
SHSU's coach Keeler is on the hot seat. Why? Because an FBS team is about to throw some serious cash his way. But Sam fans knew it was coming....its just a matter of who....when? not so much a question...very very soon.
I think we got at least another year with Keeler. Longo is who I'm worried about after this year. Our President (great relationship with Keeler) and AD are serious about football these days. We'll get another great coach when he leaves.

SFA 93
November 27th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Stephen F. Austin (FCS – TX) Sources tell FootballScoop several positions have opened at SFA with receivers coach Demo Odems, defensive coordinator Matt Williamson, defensive tackles coach Chris Van Horn and defensive backs coach / co-special teams coordinator Mike Walton all not returning to the staff.

Bet Keeler interviews with Houston, now with that job open.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2016, 12:02 PM
You thinking Houston may snatch him up?

BEAR
November 27th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Wow....SFA let Williamson go? Never would have thought that since he was one of them that left a very good UCA team to follow Conque. Just wow. There was even a tv bit done on him the other day by one of our local stations. Matt good luck man. You have proven to be a great recruiter and a beast of a coach!

bonarae
November 28th, 2016, 11:31 PM
In another thread... UC Davis has hired Dan Hawkins, a graduate of the program and a former assistant coach. He was previously a CFB analyst for ESPN and before that, the head coach at FBS Colorado.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112816aaa.html

Catatonic
November 29th, 2016, 02:19 AM
You thinking Houston may snatch him up?

No. Houston has moved to a level just below the P5's. Keeler is more likely to be snapped up by the mid or lower level G5 school left without a coach after Houston steals their coach--North Texas, Troy, Memphis or a school at that level salary and overall budget.

Schism55
November 29th, 2016, 03:31 AM
In another thread... UC Davis has hired Dan Hawkins, a graduate of the program and a former assistant coach. He was previously a CFB analyst for ESPN and before that, the head coach at FBS Colorado.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112816aaa.html
Very interesting. Hawk had a very nice run at Boise but was terrible at Colorado.
Best of luck to him, be nice to see UC Davis good again.

Catatonic
November 29th, 2016, 05:37 AM

Ahem.....Lamar's endowment is about one fourth the size of Abilene Christian's. -108M for Lamar, 380M for ACU.

Catatonic
November 29th, 2016, 05:41 AM
ACU's search is winding down, I hear. The focus is on 4-5 guys, at least one D2 Head Coach and some FBS assistants. Some with obvious ACU connections, some not. Unless something surprising pops up--Charlie Strong wants to spend some time at a small school to regroup while collecting his salary from UT--I look for an announcement by the weekend or early next week.

LeopardBall10
November 29th, 2016, 09:32 AM
ACU's search is winding down, I hear. The focus is on 4-5 guys, at least one D2 Head Coach and some FBS assistants.

This seems like the pace for all of those searching right now. Only 5 FCS jobs have opened so far, and if the UC Davis hire is true then you're looking at only 3 currently open. There will likely be a few more that open once an FCS coach gets tagged for an FBS coordinator spot, but it seems like we may not get close to the total of 19 head coaching changes that we saw last year.

For those of you who like to follow along like I do: http://footballscoop.com/news/2016-17-head-coaching-changes/ (http://footballscoop.com/news/2016-17-head-coaching-changes/)

BEAR
November 29th, 2016, 10:13 AM
ACU's search is winding down, I hear. The focus is on 4-5 guys, at least one D2 Head Coach and some FBS assistants. Some with obvious ACU connections, some not. Unless something surprising pops up--Charlie Strong wants to spend some time at a small school to regroup while collecting his salary from UT--I look for an announcement by the weekend or early next week.

Wait...Charlie Strong? You want to go from a former UCA QB to a former UCA WR? Really? Well I guess if Michael Norvell has done so well...maybe those WRs make good coaches...xlolx

Norvell just recently donated a nutrition center to athletics...classy guy...and Charlie is a big donor to our program too. Wonder if he will continue if he gets the ACU job...

http://www.ucasports.com/images/2016/11/17/rp_primary_nutrition_center_WEB.jpg

BadlandsGrizFan
November 29th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Wait...Charlie Strong? You want to go from a former UCA QB to a former UCA WR? Really? Well I guess if Michael Norvell has done so well...maybe those WRs make good coaches...xlolx

Norvell just recently donated a nutrition center to athletics...classy guy...and Charlie is a big donor to our program too. Wonder if he will continue if he gets the ACU job...

http://www.ucasports.com/images/2016/11/17/rp_primary_nutrition_center_WEB.jpg

LOL nothing says world class nutrition like a cubbard full of pop tarts

BEAR
November 29th, 2016, 12:37 PM

...and ramen noodles. xlolx Happily that center gave our guys enough energy to slip by an MVFC team...

Daytripper
November 29th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Ahem.....Lamar's endowment is about one fourth the size of Abilene Christian's. -108M for Lamar, 380M for ACU.

Did not know that. You should be winning a lot more.

jacksfan29
November 29th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Very interesting. Hawk had a very nice run at Boise but was terrible at Colorado.
Best of luck to him, be nice to see UC Davis good again.

"Terrible at Colorado" is an understatement. Hopefully he does OK at Davis but the reality is take away Peterson at BSU and one has to wonder if Hawkins would have ever won like he did at the D1 level. His Colorado reign was one embarrassment after another. As a Buff fan I'm amazed Hawkins could find another job after the mess he left at CU.

LeopardBall10
November 29th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Add the Lafayette job to the open list. Frank Tavani has been fired according to the scoop. I can't believe they actually went through with it. No idea who actually gets interviewed at this point. Will probably be a totally different pool than the rest of the schools currently looking.

PAllen
November 29th, 2016, 06:56 PM

Don't forget the chocolate covered breakfast bars.

RedFlash
December 1st, 2016, 07:16 AM
Add Bryant to the list of schools looking for a new head coach.

According to Craig Haley, Bryant announces coach Marty Fine's resignation after 13 seasons. 80-61 overall, including 53-47 at the FCS level.

OL FU
December 1st, 2016, 07:41 AM
Obviously don't know for certain but at this point in time, I would imagine that contractual obligations have kept the Furman coaching staff in place. But this is just a guess.

Gate83
December 1st, 2016, 10:58 AM
Lots of smoke down at Richmond, Rocco rumored on his way to Delaware. Thought it was just rumors, but coach doesn't sound happy...

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/university-richmond/article_73992add-ce26-5449-9000-a955ccab9ca4.html