Or #2 The one i see in my dreams?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161028/809e8e7c61e08bfb0e8c9e6430d407de.png

"I'll not be pawed at. I have not yet begun to defile myself"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milleniumkat
October 27th, 2016, 10:02 PM
You really should make your avatar Doc Holliday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah Ha!! I tricked you...I'm going with #3!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161028/2006d1ca5b2fa165f125b4758dc7086c.jpg

ngineer
October 27th, 2016, 10:05 PM
I can see either Lehigh or Fordham getting an at-large bid IF their game is a down to the wire nailbiter decided by a point or in OT. Both teams have great offensive weapons that would be attractive to the Committee in terms of having a teams that could produce some fireworks. Edmonds leads the nation in rushing and Lehigh's passing game is near the top with the top two receivers. "Putting on a good show" is also important to the Committee as anything at that stage.

BisonTru
October 27th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Thank you.

My honest opinion has always been that the FCS seeding was really just a waste of time anyway.

Without it we get more regionalization. Get in the top 2 seeds and you get home field throughout and a bye. Top 4 you get a bye and two home games, and Top 8 you get a bye and a home game. After that it doesn't matter if you're #9 or #24, who you play and where depends on geography and bids.

It'd be great if we could get a fully seeded tournament, but with the lack of revenue it generates we are stuck where we are.

milleniumkat
October 27th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Without it we get more regionalization. Get in the top 2 seeds and you get home field throughout and a bye. Top 4 you get a bye and two home games, and Top 8 you get a bye and a home game. After that it doesn't matter if you're #9 or #24, who you play and where depends on geography and bids.

It'd be great if we could get a fully seeded tournament, but with the lack of revenue it generates we are stuck where we are.

I know how to works in terms of home vs away. I just didn't know who actually made the decision.

When i say "waste of time" i'm. it saying we don't need it, every tourney should have a seeding system...i just mean at the FCS level seeding has never been an indication of better vs worse teams. That's all. Dominant teams in one region are often no match for those elsewhere.

Sadly, i've seen that first hand too many times. 😔 And i understand that this year may be no different, but you just never know until you line up and play.

dudeitsaid
October 27th, 2016, 11:53 PM
The fact that the final regular season #1 in the polls has always been the #1 seed, may justify that.

In 2010, EWU was ranked #1 in the polls, but seeded 5th.

dudeitsaid
October 28th, 2016, 12:16 AM
I know how to works in terms of home vs away. I just didn't know who actually made the decision.

When i say "waste of time" i'm. it saying we don't need it, every tourney should have a seeding system...i just mean at the FCS level seeding has never been an indication of better vs worse teams. That's all. Dominant teams in one region are often no match for those elsewhere.

Sadly, i've seen that first hand too many times.  And i understand that this year may be no different, but you just never know until you line up and play.

This is where OOC games against other conferences can help some. But like you said, even those are often heavily impacted by geography. And one or two games against another conference is certainly a small sample size. That being said, I dont think there is necessary a huge drop off in talent between top teams in different regions. I think that regarding schools that fully fund to the scholly limit, they often recruit through a wider geographic area than their home state, and the quality of those teams are more impacted by the similar factors as with FBS schools, such as coaching staff, facilities, winning, program strength and tradition, etc, when it comes to attracting top talent and setting up a tradition of success (a situation in which the haves continue to have, and it's tough for the have not's to break through).

If you look at the last six years of FCS playoffs, there is a fair representative sample of top conferences in the semis, which I think is a good indication of the level of talent being a little more widespread than just one region or conference.

For example, in the semis, the following conferences have had this many representatives:

CAA 6
BSC 4
SoCon 3
MVFC 6
Southlound 4
OVC 1

Though it is true that several of the conference representatives were the same team year after year (such as SHSU four times, NDSU five times, EWU three times, GSU three times), it does at least show it is not one area that has been able to make it deep into the playoffs. And I don't believe any of those teams made it there beating only conference mates to get there.

But like you said, we need seeding, and making a best guess of strength based on performance on the field seems to be the best approach, even if it is not a perfect science, and sometimes the high seeds get killed by unseeded teams.

milleniumkat
October 28th, 2016, 03:24 AM
This is where OOC games against other conferences can help some. But like you said, even those are often heavily impacted by geography. And one or two games against another conference is certainly a small sample size. That being said, I dont think there is necessary a huge drop off in talent between top teams in different regions. I think that regarding schools that fully fund to the scholly limit, they often recruit through a wider geographic area than their home state, and the quality of those teams are more impacted by the similar factors as with FBS schools, such as coaching staff, facilities, winning, program strength and tradition, etc, when it comes to attracting top talent and setting up a tradition of success (a situation in which the haves continue to have, and it's tough for the have not's to break through).

If you look at the last six years of FCS playoffs, there is a fair representative sample of top conferences in the semis, which I think is a good indication of the level of talent being a little more widespread than just one region or conference.

For example, in the semis, the following conferences have had this many representatives:

CAA 6
BSC 4
SoCon 3
MVFC 6
Southlound 4
OVC 1

Though it is true that several of the conference representatives were the same team year after year (such as SHSU four times, NDSU five times, EWU three times, GSU three times), it does at least show it is not one area that has been able to make it deep into the playoffs. And I don't believe any of those teams made it there beating only conference mates to get there.

But like you said, we need seeding, and making a best guess of strength based on performance on the field seems to be the best approach, even if it is not a perfect science, and sometimes the high seeds get killed by unseeded teams.

Seriously...fantastic work. Great post.

Gangtackle11
October 28th, 2016, 06:19 AM
I can see either Lehigh or Fordham getting an at-large bid IF their game is a down to the wire nailbiter decided by a point or in OT. Both teams have great offensive weapons that would be attractive to the Committee in terms of having a teams that could produce some fireworks. Edmonds leads the nation in rushing and Lehigh's passing game is near the top with the top two receivers. "Putting on a good show" is also important to the Committee as anything at that stage.

Doubt it. Too many teams from perceived power conferences that will be sitting with 7+ wins. A MVFC team @ 6-5 would also go before the PL runner-up in all likelyhood.

kalm
October 28th, 2016, 07:54 AM
I know how to works in terms of home vs away. I just didn't know who actually made the decision. When i say "waste of time" i'm. it saying we don't need it, every tourney should have a seeding system...i just mean at the FCS level seeding has never been an indication of better vs worse teams. That's all. Dominant teams in one region are often no match for those elsewhere. Sadly, i've seen that first hand too many times. �� And i understand that this year may be no different, but you just never know until you line up and play.Seeding isn't regionalized. And seeding is a strong indicator of which teams are the best. It's not perfect and you're bound to upsets and the occasional cinderella, but it's pretty damned good.

Professor Chaos
October 28th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Seeding isn't regionalized. And seeding is a strong indicator of which teams are the best. It's not perfect and you're bound to upsets and the occasional cinderella, but it's pretty damned good.
Case in point no team to play a playoff road game has won the title since 2009.