PDA

View Full Version : Brock has been fired!

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2016, 04:45 PM
it's finally over

Spider from the North
October 16th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Do you have a link to a site? I cannot find it online.

mainejeff
Wow......

MR. CHICKEN
xhypedx............................BRAWK!

mainejeff
October 16th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Do you have a link to a site? I cannot find it online.

http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29100&ATCLID=211232805

TheKingpin28
October 16th, 2016, 05:13 PM
I initially thought this was about Brock Spack, and that he had been fired, but then I realized how shocking that would have been. This is good for Delaware though. Been too long since they have been where they need to be.

Redbird007
October 16th, 2016, 05:14 PM
I like how efficient they are at Delaware...killed 3 birds with one stone. AD must of had a bad morning and suddenly decided to start firing coaches.

Catsfan90
October 16th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I like how efficient they are at Delaware...killed 3 birds with one stone. AD must of had a bad morning and suddenly decided to start firing coaches.

I'm picturing a Stalinesque moment where the secretary brings in a list of employees, and the AD just begins lining out names in red.

GoBlueHens83
October 16th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Finally! Never should have been hired in the first place.

Redbird007
October 16th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I initially thought this was about Brock Spack, and that he had been fired, but then I realized how shocking that would have been. This is good for Delaware though. Been too long since they have been where they need to be.

With Hazell canned at Purdue today the Redbird fans are unnerved about Spack's ties to Purdue... he played at Purdue and was an assistant coach for many years. Probably a stretch for Spack but you never know.

Thumper 76
October 16th, 2016, 05:28 PM
With Hazell canned at Purdue today the Redbird fans are unnerved about Spack's ties to Purdue... he played at Purdue and was an assistant coach for many years. Probably a stretch for Spack but you never know.

Youngstown fans should be nervous as well. On topic, good for UD fans, hopefully they get a good one. It's better for FCS when they are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytripper
October 16th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Youngstown fans should be nervous as well. On topic, good for UD fans, hopefully they get a good one. It's better for FCS when they are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xthumbsupx

centennial
October 16th, 2016, 05:31 PM

If Spack had a good year sure. YSU is also a target; NDSU, EWU could also be targets. IMO they probably take a G5 head coach, or a P5 assistant.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 16th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Good for Delaware. Doing it midseason sends a good message to administrator at FCS schools everywhere. Winning matters too.

Redbird007
October 16th, 2016, 05:37 PM
If Spack had a good year sure. YSU is also a target; NDSU, EWU could also be targets. IMO they probably take a G5 head coach, or a P5 assistant.

Agree with your comments. After the Hazell disaster I can't imagine the Purdue faithful being excited by an FCS coach hire. That said maybe some of the coaches you noted could become candidates for high paying P5 assistants as there will be many significant jobs opening up soon and entire coaching staffs are likely replaced too.

Daytripper
October 16th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Les Miles to Purdue and the college football world will erupt in joyous celebration...xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

melloware13
October 16th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Les Miles to Purdue and the college football world will erupt in joyous celebration...xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

Or he could come to Newark and see how artificial turf tastes

centennial
October 16th, 2016, 05:44 PM
I really like Adam Dorrel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Dorrel
Runs a tight ship at NW Missouri State (DII champions). If NDSU looses coach Klieman I hope we take a look at him..

ursus arctos horribilis
October 16th, 2016, 05:48 PM
This is about UD correct? The Purdue talk though...you ought to know better fellas.

I know this has been a long standing problem for most UD fans and I hope as other do that UD is on it's way back up.

TheKingpin28
October 16th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Runs a tight ship at NW Missouri State (DII champions). If NDSU looses coach Klieman I hope we take a look at him..

I feel like Entz would stay at NDSU and become the coach and Polasek would leave with Coach K similar to what happened with Bohl and Vigen.

To bring it back to discussion, who does UD go with? Any list of candidates that they are looking at?

underdawg
October 16th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Ha-ha! I thought this thread was refering to Brock Spack

Daytripper
October 16th, 2016, 05:54 PM

John Wristen from CSU-Pueblo is another that will likely get a promotion...
http://www.gothunderwolves.com/sports/fball/coaches/John_Wristen?view=bio

centennial
October 16th, 2016, 06:06 PM
John Wristen from CSU-Pueblo is another that will likely get a promotion...
http://www.gothunderwolves.com/sports/fball/coaches/John_Wristen?view=bio

He is one of other ones from D2 that I am very impressed with. There are others such as Ed Pinkham(WMU DC) that I believe also deserve a chance.

superman7515
October 16th, 2016, 06:10 PM
It's like Jesus had sex with a pilgrim and I got to celebrate Christmas and Thanksgiving on the same day.

ngineer
October 16th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Or he could come to Newark and see how artificial turf tastes

He could end up in Easton, PA, too....

RootinFerDukes
October 16th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Wow a midseason firing at an Fcs school? I don't think I've ever heard of that before. Costs alone usually stop administrations from bothering. That is unless there's some huge controversy where they have to suddenly let a guy go.

centennial
October 16th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Wow a midseason firing at an Fcs school? I don't think I've ever heard of that before. Costs alone usually stop administrations from bothering. That is unless there's some huge controversy where they have to suddenly let a guy go.

Delaware is not a regular FCS. They have an Endowment of $1.3 billion. If they can get back to being good again, they could easily be G5/P5 with how much money they can throw around. It's a different matter if the elected student body + professors + administration actually wants to do that.

bluehenbillk
October 16th, 2016, 06:34 PM
I don't know if I can beat Jesus and a pilgrim having sex, but it's definitely like Xmas in October.

There were UD fans rooting for the team to actually lose so UD would make a change. Brock was a really bad hire and a really bad coach. A coaching change is one step but the personnel on the field needs to get better too.

It's a happy day for Blue Hen nation.

Bisonator
October 16th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Now Mr. Chicken is going to have to come up with a new saying......Fire Brock! They did! xlolx

Gangtackle11
October 16th, 2016, 06:53 PM
I have met him a couple of times. Good guy. Didn't win. Wish him the best in his new world.

grizband
October 16th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Who we'll be interim?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
October 16th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Who we'll be interim?

DC Dennis Dottin-Carter has been named interim.

superman7515
October 16th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Who we'll be interim?

Dennis Dottin-Carter, who by virtue of his appointment, becomes Delaware football's first black head coach.

http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29100&ATCLID=209242453

grizband
October 16th, 2016, 07:02 PM
What are people's opinions of him?

DallasSpider
October 16th, 2016, 07:04 PM
What type of team identity do the hens take on now with Brock gone? Does the internal hire change any philosophies or attitudes besides the immediate emotional aspect of a team losing their head coach?

melloware13
October 16th, 2016, 07:19 PM
What are people's opinions of him?

He was named co-DC in 2014, coming off what seemed like a swiss cheese defense in November 2013 (when there's 2 teams that go 80 yards in under a minute to end the games, and those losses keep you out of the playoffs, it's a problem). Defense has improved, so I'll give him some credit until given a reason not to.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Dennis Dottin-Carter, who by virtue of his appointment, becomes Delaware football's first black head coach.

http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29100&ATCLID=209242453

so when is Mike Adams retiring? He could be the second black coach.... he would command some respect!

JayJ79
October 17th, 2016, 12:36 AM
I'm curious about the reasons behind canning the VB coaches. Yes, Delaware VB is having a bad season, but is there something more to it? Not that anyone on here likely pays much attention to Delaware VB.

Daytripper
October 17th, 2016, 06:03 AM
It's like Jesus had sex with a pilgrim and I got to celebrate Christmas and Thanksgiving on the same day.

xthumbsupx:Dxthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

so when is Mike Adams retiring? He could be the second black coach.... he would command some respect!

Flacco should retire first. At least Adams still has game.

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Nice News-Urinal headline to wake up to: "Struggling UD sacks Brock"!xthumbsupx

YoUDeeMan
October 17th, 2016, 06:51 AM
What type of team identity do the hens take on now with Brock gone? Does the internal hire change any philosophies or attitudes besides the immediate emotional aspect of a team losing their head coach?

We might actually invent something called the forward pass.

HensRock
October 17th, 2016, 08:30 AM

No controversy here. It's definitely a surprise, but from all indications, Dave Brock ran a squeaky clean program at Delaware. His rep is beyond reproach there. In the past, The Board of Trustees who run things at UD seemed to completely disregard winning as a criteria for a succesful coach at Delaware. It seemed as long as they ran a clean program and graduated student-athletes at an acceptably high rate, their job was safe at Delaware. It seems there's a new sherriff in town...

And while I'm sure the emphasis will still be on doing things the right way and graduating players, that alone won't be good enough any longer.

fansincehighschool
October 17th, 2016, 08:37 AM

I sure hope so.

Daytripper
October 17th, 2016, 08:55 AM
No controversy here. It's definitely a surprise, but from all indications, Dave Brock ran a squeaky clean program at Delaware. His rep is beyond reproach there. In the past, The Board of Trustees who run things at UD seemed to completely disregard winning as a criteria for a succesful coach at Delaware. It seemed as long as they ran a clean program and graduated student-athletes at an acceptably high rate, their job was safe at Delaware. It seems there's a new sherriff in town...

And while I'm sure the emphasis will still be on doing things the right way and graduating players, that alone won't be good enough any longer.

It is possible to have a clean AND a successful program. It is not easy and sometimes there are gray areas. The key is you can't err too far on either side. A dirty program may get short term success but be destructive in the long run. A program that is too clean and refuses to take chances on athletes who have academic or off-field issues will be pushing a boulder up a mountain. As Aristotle taught: All things in moderation.

ASU33
October 17th, 2016, 09:18 AM

I can think of a few schools that have fired coaches mid season at the FCS level. Jackson State did it last year with Harold Jackson. Southern did it with Stump Mitchell back in 2012.

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2016, 09:19 AM
It is possible to have a clean AND a successful program. It is not easy and sometimes there are gray areas. The key is you can't err too far on either side. A dirty program may get short term success but be destructive in the long run. A program that is too clean and refuses to take chances on athletes who have academic or off-field issues will be pushing a boulder up a mountain. As Aristotle taught: All things in moderation.

Including moderation!xsmiley_wix

Fear the Bird
October 17th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I've been waiting for this day pretty much since the first time I sat behind Coach Brock back in 2013 vs those Dolphins of Jacksonville something just didn't seem right. I still haven't forgotten the epic collapse in the Battle of the Blue that year. As many people will say, seemed like a great guy, but a lousy coach. There is too much tradition in this program to accept this much lack of relevance. For those of you at storied programs that think we have been too harsh on Brock, stop for a second and put yourself in our shoes.

Terry2889
October 17th, 2016, 09:35 AM

I've met Dave a couple of times and from what I can tell he is a genuinely good guy who surrounded himself with high character guys like Sean Devine. Unfortunately that isn't always the recipe for success. I really hope he can recover from this.

centennial
October 17th, 2016, 09:47 AM
I've been waiting for this day pretty much since the first time I sat behind Coach Brock back in 2013 vs those Dolphins of Jacksonville something just didn't seem right. I still haven't forgotten the epic collapse in the Battle of the Blue that year. As many people will say, seemed like a great guy, but a lousy coach. There is too much tradition in this program to accept this much lack of relevance. For those of you at storied programs that think we have been too harsh on Brock, stop for a second and put yourself in our shoes.

Bohl almost got fired after the 2009 season at NDSU, I think we were 3-8 that year. 7-4 is unacceptable for more than a couple of years. You can call us spoiled, but the expectation is conference championships, and deep playoff runs

Daytripper
October 17th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Bohl almost got fired after the 2009 season at NDSU, I think we were 3-8 that year. 7-4 is unacceptable for more than a couple of years. You can call us spoiled, but the expectation is conference championships, and deep playoff runs

That SHOULD be the expectation of every program... unfortunately it is not.

centennial
October 17th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Well it should. For there to be winners, there will be teams that don't do well.

Silenoz
October 17th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Noooooo

Oh, the UD guy. Yeah, what a train wreck

Redbird007
October 17th, 2016, 11:26 AM

invented by University of Chicago..true fact

Redbird007
October 17th, 2016, 11:37 AM

If that were the true expectation of every program coaches would be fired endlessly for failure. There about 120 teams in FCS and only 8 or less can make a deep playoff run every year depending on one's definition of a deep playoff run. Therefore 112 would have failed seasons. That expectation may apply for NDSU but can not apply universally in FCS.

Mr. C
October 17th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Since no one else has mentioned it, how about bringing K.C. Keeler and his sunglasses back to Delaware? Think that the Blue Hens folks made a mistake kicking K.C. to the curb? One guy I know who would love a shot at the Delaware program is one of its former players, Bill Zwaan, who has had a very successful program at West Chester through the years. Great guy too.

Daytripper
October 17th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Since no one else has mentioned it, how about bringing K.C. Keeler and his sunglasses back to Delaware? Think that the Blue Hens folks made a mistake kicking K.C. to the curb? One guy I know who would love a shot at the Delaware program is one of its former players, Bill Zwaan, who has had a very successful program at West Chester through the years. Great guy too.

Sorry, but KCK is loving recruiting the best talent in the country, being supported by the college administration, making deep playoff runs, and eating real Mexican food. If he goes anywhere it will be a Texas G5 school.

MR. CHICKEN
October 17th, 2016, 01:18 PM

...........SEND UH FRUIT BASKET TA TEXAS........xcoolx..........BROCK....ER....UH...U MM..........BRAWK!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2016, 01:49 PM

Brock will fit in perfectly as Frank Tavani's successor is my reading of this.

centennial
October 17th, 2016, 02:21 PM
So is Keeler going back to Delaware? How much does SHSU pay him?

centennial
October 17th, 2016, 02:24 PM
If that were the true expectation of every program coaches would be fired endlessly for failure. There about 120 teams in FCS and only 8 or less can make a deep playoff run every year depending on one's definition of a deep playoff run. Therefore 112 would have failed seasons. That expectation may apply for NDSU but can not apply universally in FCS.
The way I look at it. If you have the resources to buy out, and if you have a consistent under performing coaching staff- then you go for it. There are lots of schools that are okay with 1-2 wins every year; might as well shut the program then.

gumby013
October 17th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Poor Brock.

http://i.imgur.com/k6PokAb.png

SENOREIDA
October 17th, 2016, 07:03 PM
I could see him going back to his alma mater

paward
October 17th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Keller firing was huge.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 17th, 2016, 07:11 PM
How much does Keeler get paid by Sammy State?

HensRock
October 17th, 2016, 07:22 PM

I think that bridge has been burned.... from both ends.

Gangtackle11
October 17th, 2016, 07:39 PM
The new AD is from University of Michigan. Probably going to be a branch from that tree.

Go...gate
October 17th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Seems to me that UD should be able to command some very fine candidates. One of the traditionally "gold standard" FCS programs.

SENOREIDA
October 17th, 2016, 08:17 PM
The new AD is from University of Michigan. Probably going to be a branch from that tree.
Harbaugh?

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Re: Brocks first sit down with new AD - Fly on the wall fict (http://gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20001&start=45#p302131)ion... as in Lampoonhttp://gohens.net/boards/styles/GoHens/imageset/icon_post_target.gif (http://gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?p=302131#p302131)by Caribbean Hen (http://gohens.net/boards/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=47) on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:00 pm
Late Sunday Afternoon in Huntsville Texas

The Head football coach at Sam Houston State is on his way over to Offensive Coordinator Phil Longo's home for an old fashonied backyard Sunday Texas style B B Q, times are good in Texas for KC Keeler, his team is rolling along and wont even be challenged until mid November, the alumni are thrilled to have a Yankee in town, as long as he keeps winning!

The coach is on top of the world you would think, behind the wheel of his new Porsche, the top is down, the sun is out, the sky is blue, it's a beautiful day, and KC thinks he is too. The coach is distracted by his vibrating iPhone, now it's not abnormal for the his phone to vibrate often, but something is going on this time, the coach hopes another one of his players didn't get arrested or something even worse ....... he parks the car in Longo's driveway and jumps out and checks his phone, he has 20 voice mails and 49 text messages in the span of an hour...

standing in the driveway he starts reading his messages and is stunned, "Dear Blue Hen Family:I write to you today to share that we have informed Head Football Coach Dave Brock that he has been relieved of his duties." We now turn to the task of finding a new leader for our storied football program"

KC's heart jumps up into his throat, his pulse is racing, his brain is becoming light on elation,

Longo saw KC pull into the drive way a few minutes ago and looks out the door for his head coach, KC is pacing around the driveway

he calls out to the head coach with no response

he walks out in the yard and again calls out
KC
KC
KC

a startled Keeler finally hears Longo and breaks the news.... Dave Brock was just fired at Delaware

Longo - well that's nice Boss but don't get any ideas, we got a championship to win

KC didn't have a chance to read all of his messages before he was snapped out of his daydream, for if he had he would of seen this one

From : Crissi Rawak : "hey KC, you mind shooting me Longo's cell phone number.. thanks "