PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate spots for the October 29th Magic City Classic sold out in less than 5 minute

ASU33
October 4th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Last year tailgate spots sold out in 30 minutes, this year they didn't even last 5 minutes. Also ticket sales have now exceeded 50,000 as of October 3rd. Not bad for two teams who are a combined 2-8 overall right now.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23658&stc=1

Catsfan90
October 4th, 2016, 06:48 PM
I wish that the rest of the FCS had the same success as the HBCU's when it comes to game culture!

ASU33
October 5th, 2016, 05:50 AM
I wish that the rest of the FCS had the same success as the HBCU's when it comes to game culture!

I think HBCU culture is unique to the point where you don't have to be a football diehard to get into it. For games such as this we literally have something for everybody which is why the Classics are so successful. I know for the Magic City Classic you have all four of the largest black nationally syndicated radio shows live from Birmingham that week(Rickey Smiley, Steve Harvey, Tom Joyner, and DL Hughley). With those four big outlets that's just as good as free marketing from coast to coast for this game. Also HBCU Classics draw TONS of celebrities which also draws in people. At the Magic City Classic is almost nothing to see Denzel Washington or Oprah Winfrey or Samuel L. Jackson just walking around the tailgate area mingling with folks. And for the Magic City Classic we're talking a tailgate areas of 130,000+ people. Also you have the concerts and other things throughout the week and those events start the Sunday before the game. Also tailgating for the Magic City Classic starts Tuesday morning at 6am. You have about 50,000 people or so that never make it inside of the stadium, they're just there for the tailgating which is festive to say the least. Then you have the bands. HBCU bands take a "going to war" approach to game day and they're trying to "out do" the other band. This extends far beyond just halftime it's the Mayor's pep rally on Thursday night, the parade on Saturday morning, before the game, during the game, halftime, and finally the 5th quarter. Also the sidelines during the game is almost like black Hollywood Central filled with celebrities. This game is a HUGE recruiting tool for both us and Alabama A&M. Its the largest FCS game in the country, it's an amazing crowd, and for one weekend you're basically in the center of the universe. And this is the case for many of the other HBCU classics. Its more than just a game its everything surrounding it.

SU DOG
October 5th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Living near B'ham, in Shelby County, I am well aware of what a magnificent production this event is. I also would say congrats to ASU for being on the 2018 Auburn schedule. Auburn continues to help instate FCS programs UNLIKE the other P5 team across the state that has a rule against doing so.

ASU33
October 5th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Living near B'ham, in Shelby County, I am well aware of what a magnificent production this event is. I also would say congrats to ASU for being on the 2018 Auburn schedule. Auburn continues to help instate FCS programs UNLIKE the other P5 team across the state that has a rule against doing so.

We were able to get both Auburn and Troy on the schedule. Hopefully we can get you guys on the schedule soon.

Schism55
October 5th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I think HBCU culture is unique to the point where you don't have to be a football diehard to get into it. For games such as this we literally have something for everybody which is why the Classics are so successful. I know for the Magic City Classic you have all four of the largest black nationally syndicated radio shows live from Birmingham that week(Rickey Smiley, Steve Harvey, Tom Joyner, and DL Hughley). With those four big outlets that's just as good as free marketing from coast to coast for this game. Also HBCU Classics draw TONS of celebrities which also draws in people. At the Magic City Classic is almost nothing to see Denzel Washington or Oprah Winfrey or Samuel L. Jackson just walking around the tailgate area mingling with folks. And for the Magic City Classic we're talking a tailgate areas of 130,000+ people. Also you have the concerts and other things throughout the week and those events start the Sunday before the game. Also tailgating for the Magic City Classic starts Tuesday morning at 6am. You have about 50,000 people or so that never make it inside of the stadium, they're just there for the tailgating which is festive to say the least. Then you have the bands. HBCU bands take a "going to war" approach to game day and they're trying to "out do" the other band. This extends far beyond just halftime it's the Mayor's pep rally on Thursday night, the parade on Saturday morning, before the game, during the game, halftime, and finally the 5th quarter. Also the sidelines during the game is almost like black Hollywood Central filled with celebrities. This game is a HUGE recruiting tool for both us and Alabama A&M. Its the largest FCS game in the country, it's an amazing crowd, and for one weekend you're basically in the center of the universe. And this is the case for many of the other HBCU classics. Its more than just a game its everything surrounding it.
Not sure I wold consider those two in attendance as a good thing xlolx

ASU33
October 5th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Not sure I wold consider those two in attendance as a good thing xlolx

Steve is a pretty good dude. He's adopted Bama State as kind of his own and he has a son at ASU. Steve is on our campus A LOT! He's even over The Turkey Day Classic event planning this year.http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23661&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23662&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23663&stc=1

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Show me "Not a Stadium."

Survey says 54, number one answer!

Daytripper
October 5th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a blast. xthumbsupx

ASU33
October 7th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Sounds like a blast. xthumbsupx

It is! I'm counting down the weeks to "Classic Week".xnodx

FootballFanatic83
October 10th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Hello all,

I have a quick question regarding tailgating for the Magic City Classic. I haven't been in years so I'm a little out of the loop regarding tailgating. Previous years I've been I've known some tailgaters pretty well but now I have no clue.

Are some tailgate groups open to outsiders willing to pay or would the best option be buying from food vendors? If so, what is normally the individual tailgate price? How do people pay to be apart of someone's tailgate? We wanted to know how much money we should bring. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ASU33
October 10th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Hello all,

I have a quick question regarding tailgating for the Magic City Classic. I haven't been in years so I'm a little out of the loop regarding tailgating. Previous years I've been I've known some tailgaters pretty well but now I have no clue.

Are some tailgate groups open to outsiders willing to pay or would the best option be buying from food vendors? If so, what is normally the individual tailgate price? How do people pay to be apart of someone's tailgate? We wanted to know how much money we should bring. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Some groups open up tailgating to outsiders at no charge, so charge a fee. It all depends on the people over that particular tailgate. The most popular spot over the last 10 years or more has been the Southern Company/Alabama Power tent which costs around $25.00 per person but they have food catered in and its all you can eat and drink. They hand out wristbands once you pay for entry. I'm usually apart of three separate tailgates during Classic(The Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc., Alabama State football alumni, and my family's tailgate). The individual vendors are all located on the Graymont Ave side of the stadium and there's some REALLY good stuff over there too from Po Boys, to Turkey Legs, to BBQ, to Polish Sausages, and ect. The individual tailgate spots are around $150 and it's $225 for RVs and oversized tents. I hope I was kinda helpful.

ASU33
October 10th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Also most public tailgates where you have to pay to enter are usually posted on the MCC pages on Facebook.

FootballFanatic83
October 10th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Some groups open up tailgating to outsiders at no charge, so charge a fee. It all depends on the people over that particular tailgate. The most popular spot over the last 10 years or more has been the Southern Company/Alabama Power tent which costs around $25.00 per person but they have food catered in and its all you can eat and drink. They hand out wristbands once you pay for entry. I'm usually apart of three separate tailgates during Classic(The Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc., Alabama State football alumni, and my family's tailgate). The individual vendors are all located on the Graymont Ave side of the stadium and there's some REALLY good stuff over there too from Po Boys, to Turkey Legs, to BBQ, to Polish Sausages, and ect. The individual tailgate spots are around $150 and it's $225 for RVs and oversized tents. I hope I was kinda helpful.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot!

FootballFanatic83
October 10th, 2016, 05:31 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Also most public tailgates where you have to pay to enter are usually posted on the MCC pages on Facebook.
Ok. I will certainly check that out. Again...thanks!

ASU33
October 10th, 2016, 08:05 PM
No problem man!