PDA

View Full Version : Best I-AA Gameday Promotion

DFW HOYA
July 10th, 2005, 06:42 PM
What promotion has worked best for your school's home opener?

blukeys
July 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM
scheduling a good Nationally Ranked opponent like Georgia Southern.

rokamortis
July 10th, 2005, 08:03 PM
2003 - First game ever
2004 - nothing special
2005 - Host defending I-AA national champs

JMU2004
July 10th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Coastal got the deal of the century.......ya'll better be coming to H-Burg for at least 3 years.

GSUBass
July 10th, 2005, 08:27 PM
scheduling a good Nationally Ranked opponent like Georgia Southern.

I remember listening to that game while doing homework...I was rather mad at the outcome...:(

rokamortis
July 10th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Coastal got the deal of the century.......ya'll better be coming to H-Burg for at least 3 years.

I've heard it was a 1-1. We will likely return it in 2007 from what I've heard.

JMU2004
July 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I've heard it was a 1-1. We will likely return it in 2007 from what I've heard.

if that is the truth, then JMU did you a hell of a favor.

Its like USC going to FAU or FIU

ccujacket
July 10th, 2005, 10:17 PM

OK

JMU2004
July 10th, 2005, 10:20 PM
a National Champion going to a start-up program........thats all I am saying.

Ya'll got a heck of a deal

rokamortis
July 10th, 2005, 10:24 PM

xidiotx

I have to admit that JMU visiting CCU first was a shock to me and most of the coastal faithful - but I guess it worked out good for everyone. Plus it seems like you guys are planning a hell of a party down here. Most of the JMU posters seem a bit more level headed than you and are waiting to see if the success continues before getting big headed.

JaxSinfonian
July 11th, 2005, 12:25 AM
A few years ago, having the first woman in NCAA history to play in a football game and score points wasn't bad at all. (Didn't hurt that she was a babe, either) ...

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2001/0830/1246153.html

Hopefully, having the (perhaps) consensus preseason #1 team in town for a rematch of last year's season-ending playoff game will go over just as well.

umassfan
July 11th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Last two years we had the games at night... last year for Colgate we had Public Safety Day. This year we have Albany at night though... Wont be as good as beating the team who knocked us out of the playoffs the year before but it will be good being at night and the first real weekend students are there.

89Hen
July 11th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Like umassfan, the best 'promotion' for Delaware IMO was moving the opener to a night game. It became such a great thing that UD put in permanent lights and now the first 3-4 home games each year are night games. Much cooler, great for tailgating in the late afternoon, gives families a chance to get soccer and football games out of the way during the day...

GannonFan
July 11th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Interesting thing, while UD having games at night in September has really been a huge plus (only 1 game since the late 90's at night has failed to draw more than 20k), the one game where UD didn't draw 20k was the Georgia Southern game to start the year in 2002 - it was a Thursday game (avoid Labor Day weekend conflicts) so probably the Eagle faithful couldn't make a mid-week game (I certainly wouldn't if the game was in GA).

Husky Alum
July 11th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Northeastern can improve its gate at home openers by avoiding scheduling the following:

1. Bullcrap D-2 or Non Scholy 1-AA teams (Cheyney, Stonehill, Albany).

2. Not having the game on Freshman Move In Day

3. Not having the game when the Red Sox are playing the Yankees (the Parsons Field area is great alternative parking for Fenway).

4. Having the students actually be on campus.

5. Playing on the road on Labor Day Weekend

All of the following have occured in the last 4-5 years at NU.

This year, the home opener is against Ga Southern, on Labor Day weekend, the Sox are playing the Orioles, and there won't be any students on campus - so we still can't get it right.

Oh, having a new stadium built won't hurt either....

th0m
July 11th, 2005, 10:00 AM
For JMU, the general excitement of the I-AA champion playing should be good promotion, along with the new additions to the stadium. But playing our first game against Lock Haven kind of deflates some of that effort. I still think attendance will be higher than last year's game against LHU, which was reported as 10221, and also our season-opener.

grizband
July 11th, 2005, 10:16 AM
This year the promotional aspect of the first game won't be the opponent (division II Fort Lewis), but the 10 year reunion of the 1995 National Championship team. This meeting will bring back the most beloved player in Griz history, Dave Dickinson. This game should be an easy sell out.

89Hen
July 11th, 2005, 10:55 AM
This game should be an easy sell out.
Aren't they all in Missoula? :)

grizband
July 11th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Yes, they are, and this is the team that basically started our entire tradition that we have now. This could be one of the highest attended home openers ever at Washington Grizzly stadium.

JoltinJoe
July 11th, 2005, 11:10 AM
DFW:

Why not celebrate the opening of your new stadium by passing out reproductions of the 1941 Orange Bowl souvenir program?

http://www.bobsarchives.com/prodimages/41obcfp-200.jpg

What better way to tie the future of the program in its new home, with the program's storied past?

Cocky
July 11th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Schedule a HBCU and make sure they bring their band.

Eaglegus2
July 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Northeastern can improve its gate at home openers by avoiding scheduling the following:

1. Bullcrap D-2 or Non Scholy 1-AA teams (Cheyney, Stonehill, Albany).

2. Not having the game on Freshman Move In Day

3. Not having the game when the Red Sox are playing the Yankees (the Parsons Field area is great alternative parking for Fenway).

4. Having the students actually be on campus.

5. Playing on the road on Labor Day Weekend

All of the following have occured in the last 4-5 years at NU.

This year, the home opener is against Ga Southern, on Labor Day weekend, the Sox are playing the Orioles, and there won't be any students on campus - so we still can't get it right.

Oh, having a new stadium built won't hurt either....

I don't actually know how many Georgia Southern fans are traveling to Boston. I would guess that at least 100 will be there.

What is the policy for alcohol consumption near the field?

You have brown bags up there? Or should we bring them with us? :D

blueballs
July 11th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I soooooooo wished I was going to the GSU/NE game, but we are playing in Valdosta that weekend. The GSU folks are going to be really out of place in Boston, it will be funny... I have never been so looked down upon because of my southern accent as I was in Boston last fall, despite the fact I was staying at the Parker House and dining in the north end every night. And they think southerners are ignorant...

One of the best promotions ever was done by GSU in 2001. They had 6 home games that year, and for each of the 6 editions of the "Soar" gameday program they had a different poster celebrating each of GSU's 6 national championships. Truly a collectors item for GSU fans and a nice draw that year. BTW, they had the season tix printed with the photos from the posters, too. A very nice touch.

JaxSinfonian
July 11th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Schedule a HBCU and make sure they bring their band.
Cocky, that only works if the opposing team, band & fans actually intend to come. Otherwise, it's not a good promotion at all.

Ivytalk
July 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM
For the Ivies, I agree that the best promotion is the quality of the opposition. This year, Harvard's home opener is against Brown, a team that just might win the whole Ivy enchilada this year. The Bears will certainly be out for revenge, given last year's monumental choke.

GaSouthern
July 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I soooooooo wished I was going to the GSU/NE game, but we are playing in Valdosta that weekend. The GSU folks are going to be really out of place in Boston, it will be funny... I have never been so looked down upon because of my southern accent as I was in Boston last fall, despite the fact I was staying at the Parker House and dining in the north end every night. And they think southerners are ignorant...

One of the best promotions ever was done by GSU in 2001. They had 6 home games that year, and for each of the 6 editions of the "Soar" gameday program they had a different poster celebrating each of GSU's 6 national championships. Truly a collectors item for GSU fans and a nice draw that year. BTW, they had the season tix printed with the photos from the posters, too. A very nice touch.
Interesting, there is about a 10% chance that I will be able to go to this game but I did not even think of the factor of being looked down upon, Boston accents are one of the only ones from the north that dont send chills down my back in agony when I hear thoes people speak with their high pitched voices.

eagleskins
July 11th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Interesting, there is about a 10% chance that I will be able to go to this game but I did not even think of the factor of being looked down upon, Boston accents are one of the only ones from the north that dont send chills down my back in agony when I hear thoes people speak with their high pitched voices.

They are the worst accents for me, with Minnesota a close second.

Cocky
July 11th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Cocky, that only works if the opposing team, band & fans actually intend to come. Otherwise, it's not a good promotion at all.
That where the MAKE SURE comes in

If the band comes they all come. TN St did bring a good crowd but no band

blukeys
July 11th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I have never been so looked down upon because of my southern accent as I was in Boston last fall, despite the fact I was staying at the Parker House and dining in the north end every night. And they think southerners are ignorant...

Get Used to it. Bostonians are the most bigoted and biased people I have ever met regarding judging people based on accents. I do not have a Southern Accent (at least not to folks from Georgia). But when I visit my brother who lives in Sudbury MA. I have people asking if I am from Georgia, Alabama, or South Carolina. One of my brother's friends said to me "I was surprised when I first heard you talk because your brother is such a smart person but now that I have gotten to know you I know you are smart too".

This is one of those ligthbulb moments one has in life and it was a realization that MASS. folks really believe they are smarter and better than everyone else (and they make this decision based on your ACCENT). It must really irk them to lose when one of their own gets their butt beaten in an election.

FightinBluHen51
July 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I remember listening to that game while doing homework...I was rather mad at the outcome...:(

Man, why were you not there? I'm sorry that I did not make the trip to Statesborrow in 01, but I won't make that mistake twice.

FightinBluHen51
July 11th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Interesting thing, while UD having games at night in September has really been a huge plus (only 1 game since the late 90's at night has failed to draw more than 20k), the one game where UD didn't draw 20k was the Georgia Southern game to start the year in 2002 - it was a Thursday game (avoid Labor Day weekend conflicts) so probably the Eagle faithful couldn't make a mid-week game (I certainly wouldn't if the game was in GA).

Also remember that it was before all the students were back as move in days were that coming weekend. That would have also played a big factor.

FightinBluHen51
July 11th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I don't actually know how many Georgia Southern fans are traveling to Boston. I would guess that at least 100 will be there.

What is the policy for alcohol consumption near the field?

You have brown bags up there? Or should we bring them with us? :D

It's BASTON, bring your cups, lol.

FightinBluHen51
July 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Get Used to it. Bostonians are the most bigoted and biased people I have ever met regarding judging people based on accents. I do not have a Southern Accent (at least not to folks from Georgia). But when I visit my brother who lives in Sudbury MA. I have people asking if I am from Georgia, Alabama, or South Carolina. One of my brother's friends said to me "I was surprised when I first heard you talk because your brother is such a smart person but now that I have gotten to know you I know you are smart too".

This is one of those ligthbulb moments one has in life and it was a realization that MASS. folks really believe they are smarter and better than everyone else (and they make this decision based on your ACCENT). It must really irk them to lose when one of their own gets their butt beaten in an election.

Hell, being from Maryland my whole life I have an "accient." It's nothing like Southern VA, NC, SC, GA, TN, ect, though if you stuck me there for more than 2 weeks, I'd probably pick it up. :nod: Go figure.

RadMann
July 12th, 2005, 02:06 AM
FightinBluHen51: I know what you mean. I'm a native of Cecil County and the accent there borders on southern but with that Murlyn twang. I left Maryland early, so I guess I grew up with a Delaware accent. Northern Delaware almost does not have an accent unless you say certain words such as "home"

LBPop
July 13th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Actually, you don't have to go as far north as MA to find that attitude...DC or NY will do just fine. The really smart folks with the southern accents use this bias to their advantage. Nobody is more vulnerable than someone who underestimates their opponent. Works in sports...works in business...works in the courtroom.

bigred
July 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM
You JMU boys need to simmadonna a bit.

Down with the Foe!
July 13th, 2005, 03:49 PM
What promotion has worked best for your school's home opener?

We open the ticket office doors, and announce that tickets are on sale, and schedule a game.

:cool: :cool: :cool: