PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Gameday to Albany?

BestDaneSinceHamlet
September 30th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Rumors are circulating from the ESPN producer for Gameday that UAlbany's game on October 8th is under consideration for Gameday. Was just retweeted by the official FCS account so it's legit. If you care to showcase FCS Football to the world (outside of you Bison faithful) please use #GreatDanesForGameday (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GreatDanesForGameday?src=hash) on your Twitter account.

Professor Chaos
September 30th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Selfishly I want to see them come back to NDSU and that probably wouldn't happen if they go to another FCS school but good for Albany if they can pull if off. However, there's three pretty good options in the big boy ranks that week as of now:

#11 Tennessee @ #9 Texas A&M
#12 Florida St @ #14 Miami (FL)
#1 Alabama @ #20 Arkansas

Root for those teams to lose this weekend. @LeeFitting is the guy who you want to follow on Twitter for announcements. He no longer produces Gameday but he still seems to be the guy who is most vocal on social media about where they're going.

KPSUL
September 30th, 2016, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=BestDaneSinceHamlet;2385314]Rumors are circulating from the ESPN producer for Gameday that UAlbany's game on October 8th is under consideration for Gameday. Was just retweeted by the official FCS account so it's legit. If you care to showcase FCS Football to the world (outside of you Bison faithful) please use #GreatDanesForGameday (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GreatDanesForGameday?src=hash) on your Twitter account.[/QUOTE

Be careful what you wish for. Remember what happened to JMU's 2015 season when they hosted ESPN Gameday and played Richmond.

mvemjsunpx
September 30th, 2016, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=BestDaneSinceHamlet;2385314]Rumors are circulating from the ESPN producer for Gameday that UAlbany's game on October 8th is under consideration for Gameday. Was just retweeted by the official FCS account so it's legit. If you care to showcase FCS Football to the world (outside of you Bison faithful) please use #GreatDanesForGameday (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GreatDanesForGameday?src=hash) on your Twitter account.[/QUOTE

Be careful what you wish for. Remember what happened to JMU's 2015 season when they hosted ESPN Gameday and played Richmond.

#CorsoKilledVadLee

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 30th, 2016, 08:45 PM
xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

RootinFerDukes
October 1st, 2016, 03:43 AM
I would love to see Albany host Game Day. It would be great for the Great Danes and hilarious that far older members of this conference continue to be overlooked by the Mothership. It would firmly put UAlbany up there among the conference's top.

KPSUL
October 1st, 2016, 08:31 AM
I would love to see Albany host Game Day. It would be great for the Great Danes and hilarious that far older members of this conference continue to be overlooked by the Mothership. It would firmly put UAlbany up there among the conference's top.

No, going 8-0, or even 7-1, in conference play, and winning the CAA championship would do that. Not hosting a TV show.

Dane96
October 1st, 2016, 08:38 AM
No, going 8-0, or even 7-1, in conference play, and winning the CAA championship would do that. Not hosting a TV show.

Exactly.

RootinFerDukes
October 1st, 2016, 09:13 AM

It's about perception and no one watching knows who did or didn't go 8-0 in CAA play. Also following that strictly, I guess no one was among the top of the CAA last year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2016, 09:36 AM
I do not follow Albany.

Why are they considering Albany?

Southern Bison
October 1st, 2016, 09:58 AM
I can see the following Gameday schedule (based on current Top 25)

10/8 - #1 Bama at #20 Arkansas (very likely)
10/15:
#1 Bama @ #11 Tennessee (doubtful as they already did Bristol & UF/UT games)
#2 Ohio St. @ #8 Wisconsin (already did LSU/UW game at Lambeau)
FCS top matchups: NDSU hosts SDSU & The Citadel hosts Chatty

10/22:
No FBS top 25 matchups so far

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2016, 10:09 AM
If they did the Marker Game I would be stupid excited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KPSUL
October 1st, 2016, 10:40 AM
It's about perception and no one watching knows who did or didn't go 8-0 in CAA play. Also following that strictly, I guess no one was among the top of the CAA last year.

And I thought you weren't a "perception is reality" guy like most the fans who post on the JMU board.

RootinFerDukes
October 1st, 2016, 10:53 AM
And I thought you weren't a "perception is reality" guy like most the fans who post on the JMU board.

I try not to be but the saying is true, perception often is reality.

ST_Lawson
October 1st, 2016, 11:01 AM
I can see the following Gameday schedule (based on current Top 25)

10/8 - #1 Bama at #20 Arkansas (very likely)
10/15:
#1 Bama @ #11 Tennessee (doubtful as they already did Bristol & UF/UT games)
#2 Ohio St. @ #8 Wisconsin (already did LSU/UW game at Lambeau)
FCS top matchups: NDSU hosts SDSU & The Citadel hosts Chatty

10/22:
No FBS top 25 matchups so far

If (and this is a big if, since we'd have to get past SDSU today, although I like our chances against ISUb and MSU) both Western and NDSU are undefeated on 10/22...that would be a pretty huge game. Obviously it'd depend on what happens over the next few weeks with other "top 5" teams, but it could legitimately be #1 vs #3/4ish. Still probably not very likely since it's in Macomb....but who knows.

BisonTru
October 1st, 2016, 11:05 AM
Who's Albany playing that weekend?

Southern Bison
October 1st, 2016, 11:05 AM
If (and this is a big if, since we'd have to get past SDSU today, although I like our chances against ISUb and MSU) both Western and NDSU are undefeated on 10/22...that would be a pretty huge game. Obviously it'd depend on what happens over the next few weeks with other "top 5" teams, but it could legitimately be #1 vs #3/4ish. Still probably not very likely since it's in Macomb....but who knows.
Macomb is probably why they wouldn't...if the game was in Fargo, a good possibility.

ST_Lawson
October 1st, 2016, 11:19 AM

At Villanova it looks like. If they both do well over the next few weeks, that'd also be a big game...wouldn't be at Albany though.

- - - Updated - - -

Macomb is probably why they wouldn't...if the game was in Fargo, a good possibility.

I won't deny that you're probably right on that.
Still...would be a HUGE game...probably nearly unanimous AGS GOTW.

Twentysix
October 1st, 2016, 11:21 AM
The matchup matters in the FBS games. The matchup is much less important in the FCS games. NDSU vs Mississippi Valley State or NDSU vs SDSU seems to make no difference to college gameday.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 1st, 2016, 11:28 AM
ESPN could fill a show with a lot of 'Nova fluff (Talley's last year, hoops/football dynamic). Be interesting...

How about Colgate at Lehigh? LOL...not like they'll come for Lafayette.

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2016, 11:53 AM
If Arizona St. gets past USC and UCLA over the next two weeks, a 6-0 Sun Devil team at Colorado gets the Gameday treatment. Its last visit to Colorado was in 2014.

RoyHobbs101
October 1st, 2016, 12:02 PM
October 8 Albany is hosting Richmond.

danefan
October 1st, 2016, 12:09 PM
The reality is it's a long shot. What needs to happen is no marquee FBS matchups and then a decent weather forecast.

Albany has really a few things going for us - we're close to ESPH HQ (read CHEAP) and we'd guarantee a big turnout. We have 18,000 students and the local area loves college football. They're learning to love UAlbany Football. They're mostly Cuse fans.

HailSzczur
October 1st, 2016, 02:07 PM
ESPN could fill a show with a lot of 'Nova fluff (Talley's last year, hoops/football dynamic). Be interesting...

That's also the opening/dedication of the Howie Long West Endzone Building. Our stadium would look sooooooooo good on ESPN. And Radnor Township would so love to have ESPN and Homecoming on campus at the same time

ST_Lawson
October 1st, 2016, 02:27 PM
That's also the opening/dedication of the Howie Long West Endzone Building. Our stadium would look sooooooooo good on ESPN. And Radnor Township would so love to have ESPN and Homecoming on campus at the same time

That'd be decent. They would have quite a bit to talk about. Plus, with one of the most versatile athletes of the last 10 years potentially competing (we'll know a lot more by then) for a world series (Matt Szczur...I love that a former FCS star is playing for my Cubbies)...that could add a little bit to the broadcast as well.

I'm also good with that because I know someone in the marching band. She was a 4-year member of the Marching Leathernecks, going to 'Nova as a grad student, was in the pep band for last year's championship run and is in the Villanova drumline this fall.

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2016, 03:00 PM
The reality is it's a long shot. What needs to happen is no marquee FBS matchups and then a decent weather forecast.

Albany has really a few things going for us - we're close to ESPH HQ (read CHEAP) and we'd guarantee a big turnout. We have 18,000 students and the local area loves college football. They're learning to love UAlbany Football. They're mostly Cuse fans.

Not sure if it would be that much cheaper. They still need to bring the set up from wherever it was last week. I'm assuming they don't take it back to Bristol to turn around and drive back to wherever it is going the next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjtheflamesfan
October 1st, 2016, 05:55 PM
If Arizona St. gets past USC and UCLA over the next two weeks, a 6-0 Sun Devil team at Colorado gets the Gameday treatment. Its last visit to Colorado was in 2014.

Don't think Arizona State-UCLA will really be a sexy enough matchup..Colorado will be the week after so it won't be up against the Great Danes matchup against Richmond

bjtheflamesfan
October 1st, 2016, 11:45 PM
You can send flaming bags of poop to Tennessee for Albany getting passed over this week after that Hail Mary to win over Georgia and stay unbeaten

smilo
October 2nd, 2016, 12:22 AM
You can send flaming bags of poop to Tennessee for Albany getting passed over this week after that Hail Mary to win over Georgia and stay unbeaten

I don't understand why people keep pretending UT is any good? It can't be healthy for their delusional fan base to have ESPN pretend this much.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2016, 12:25 AM
I don't understand why people keep pretending UT is any good? It can't be healthy for their delusional fan base to have ESPN pretend this much.

Sometimes pretending is worth lots of money.

catamount man
October 2nd, 2016, 05:49 AM
College Gameday heading to UT-Ta&m.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 2nd, 2016, 05:58 AM

They're headed to a top 10 game in College Station instead of the Albany v Richmond game??? WTH???

This campaign was pretty misguided and based solely on some BS from the Gameday producer, who seems to think he's a pretty big deal. I think it was pretty easy to see what was going on - or not going on - here.

Catsfan90
October 2nd, 2016, 06:35 AM
Having Game day come to most FCS stadiums will be nothing but a pipe dream. The majority of the country just doesn't care.

RootinFerDukes
October 2nd, 2016, 07:19 AM
Having Game day come to most FCS stadiums will be nothing but a pipe dream. The majority of the country just doesn't care.

Well they've made four appearances at FCS schools and one at a D3 school. They must have no clue what they're doing at ESPN.

RootinFerDukes
October 2nd, 2016, 07:21 AM
They're headed to a top 10 game in College Station instead of the Albany v Richmond game??? WTH???

This campaign was pretty misguided and based solely on some BS from the Gameday producer, who seems to think he's a pretty big deal. I think it was pretty easy to see what was going on - or not going on - here.

It is pretty easy to see what happened here. They finally got around to looking at the opponents' record, saw you all lost to Stony Brook, laughed hysterically for five minutes and then just scratched it off their list.

Catsfan90
October 2nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Well they've made four appearances at FCS schools and one at a D3 school. They must have no clue what they're doing at ESPN.

Hence why I said "Most FCS Stadiums"

1. NDSU: have won 5 championships in a row, have national prominence due to their many wins over power 5 conference teams, and have a beautiful arena.
2. JMU: Great program, great stadium, but this was all the work of Mr. Fitting.
3. Harvard: Ivy League is in a different class when it comes to name recognition.
4. Williams: Same idea as the Ivy. Nationally prominent, very old blood rivalry.
5. Southern Vs. Grambling: HBCU football is a culture completely separate from the rest of the FCS. They can easily draw crowds that rival the majority of FBS teams during their classics.

That's five times in 13 years. My original point still stands. Expecting game day at the majority of FCS schools is nothing more then a pipe dream.

Southern Bison
October 2nd, 2016, 10:40 AM
Thats the 3rd game featuring the Vols (Battle @ Bristol vs. VT & home vs. Florida).

A lot of SEC & ACC Homerism so far this season.

Only one team (Wisconsin vs. LSU week 1) not part of the ACC & SEC.

TheKingpin28
October 2nd, 2016, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the world of eSECpn and their love affair.