PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom 10

BisonTru
September 21st, 2016, 11:17 PM
The Bottom Ten

So the conference schedules are starting to start up. I figured I'd look at some of the worst teams in the country. My only rule is one team per conference otherwise I might as well just call this the HBU poll and put it on their forum.

10. Missouri State Bears - Alright you guys are 2-0 and have a D1 victory. Congrats, but after last years absolutely horrid season you're still not off the hook. Win a MVFC game and you come off, and you'll also eliminate 3/4 of the folks in the survivor pool.

9. Presbyterian Blue Hose - Maybe I left them off the first go because I didn't want to have to try to spell their name. Nonetheless, they belong after losing by 21 to Florida Tech. To be a little fair, Florida Tech does look like a good DII. They stomped Shorter. We'll see how the Panthers do later in the season against Taller.

8. Rhode Island Rams - Congrats guys on giving Kansas their only D1 win since 2014. 6-55. I realize they're the beloved FBS, but cmon it's Kansas.

7. Sacramento State Hornets - 0-3 and looking at going O-fer in the Big Fluffy. The hornets failed to get a win against DII W Oregon which looks to be the runnin wolves only likely victory outside of their battles with some dude named Simon Fraser.

6. Abilene Christian Wildcats - This spot was reserved for Houston Baptist, but not if those pesky cats had anything to say about it giving HB their first real D1 win. Congrats guys on knocking the huskies off their porcelain podium.

5. Robert Morris Colonials - Bobby Morris lost to something called Ald-Broaddus (DII I believe). Now 0-3, all hope isn't lost, they are favored to beat something called Malone this weekend.

4. Austin Peay Governers - 1 win in the OVC since 2012. This year looks like another O-fer for the politicians. Again. In the OVC!

3. Davidson Wildcats - The Wildcats lost their battle with Valpo earning them a spot on the list. They do have a couple DII wins although both of those teams look pretty bad at the DII level. They do have decent shot next week to get a win over Stetson, but after that they look like heavy dogs all the way out.

2. Delaware State Hornets - The Hornets are giving up 56 points a game. They have a small chance at victory against Florida A&M. The rest of the SWAC should get past them fairly easily.

1. Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils - Poor Clenzy's boys. They are 0-3, and their only slim very slim chance at a win this year looks to be AR-PB who already lost to DII Oklahoma Panhaddle State. That looks to be OKPS's only realistic win of the year, in DII! Of course SHSU beat up on the sliver of OK U, and Stats used that to elevate them to #2 in the country.

Honorable Mentions - Bo Pelini's Emotional Support Cat, Charleston Southern's Compliance Department, The Georgia Bulldogs, UND's Anger Management Team, Emory Hunt's Talent Evaluations

Go...gate
September 21st, 2016, 11:59 PM
Thanks for posting! :D

Silenoz
September 22nd, 2016, 12:51 AM
Suc State and Miss Valley xdrunkyx

Man, what a murderers row our home slate is this year

MTfan4life
September 22nd, 2016, 04:15 AM
9. Kennesaw Owls - They did beat NAIA Point (who picks these names?). They also look like they should be able to get past a couple more sub-D1 opponents as well. That should be about it for the start-up that prefers home games to any realistic shot at ever making the playoffs. I suppose they aren't even eligible for the playoffs since restricting move up programs from the playoffs makes sense (heavy sarcasm, still mad.)

Ya gotta give this spot to Presby until they prove otherwise. Kennesaw State was actually decent for a first year program last year winning two conference games and return basically their whole roster. Plus, they have a legitimate fanbase as they've yet to play a home game that wasn't a sellout, so you have to think they're going to keep improving.

Little Stevie
September 22nd, 2016, 06:41 AM
Wow-Rhody and MSVU were 2 high profile programs in 84-85.
Wasn't Sacramento really good at one point also?

woffordgrad94
September 22nd, 2016, 07:33 AM
Ya gotta give this spot to Presby until they prove otherwise. Kennesaw State was actually decent for a first year program last year winning two conference games and return basically their whole roster. Plus, they have a legitimate fanbase as they've yet to play a home game that wasn't a sellout, so you have to think they're going to keep improving.
I agree. PC has had time to build a decent program but they just keep on sucking.

eiu1999
September 22nd, 2016, 08:09 AM
Murray St.........

BisonFan02
September 22nd, 2016, 08:34 AM
Absent any PL or IVY teams? Columbia?

walliver
September 22nd, 2016, 08:40 AM
Kennesaw State is a new program from an existing D-I member. They are not a move-up, and none of the transitional rules apply. They are play-off eligible and were a middle-of-the-pack Big South team in their first year.

JSUSoutherner
September 22nd, 2016, 08:41 AM
Murray St.........
This. Murray State looks awful. I'd take APSU over them.

Go Green
September 22nd, 2016, 08:44 AM
Absent any PL or IVY teams? Columbia?

Strictly within the context of 2016 performance, Yale is the Ivy rep on this list.

Grizalltheway
September 22nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Suc State and Miss Valley xdrunkyx

Man, what a murderers row our home slate is this year

No kidding. Going to be a lot of empty seats in the second half this year.

BEAR
September 22nd, 2016, 09:10 AM
You forgot Nicholls State......

Oh wait...xlolx

caribbeanhen
September 22nd, 2016, 09:35 AM
honorable mention - Delaware State

BisonTru
September 22nd, 2016, 09:43 AM

Prove otherwise? The Blue Hose beat the Fighting Camels. How ridiculously awesome is that sentence? Presi's alright with me. Gardner-Webb is on the watch list.

KPSUL
September 22nd, 2016, 09:46 AM

I don't know, what can you say about a team with the victory chant, " Let's go Pee"

clenz
September 22nd, 2016, 09:47 AM
The Delta Devils are playing the rest of you. They are doing what Trae Waynes did to Aaron Rodgers the other night. Lull everyone into a false sense of security and then strike with force.

Schism55
September 22nd, 2016, 12:12 PM
Wow-Rhody and MSVU were 2 high profile programs in 84-85.
Wasn't Sacramento really good at one point also?
Yes, Sac st was.
1988 D2 playoffs they made the semi-finals. They came to Fargo and a brutally cold Dacotah field and got stomped.
I was by their locker room when they came out for the game, look on their faces was like Are we on another ****ing planet? Lol
I've been to lots of cold games, quite a few at ole Dacotah field, and that Sac st game just may be the coldest. Mom and sis were back in the car before kickoff xlolx

BisonTru
September 25th, 2016, 10:35 PM

Credit is due here. I may or may not have put way too much stock in their nickname and their battle with the fighting camels. Presby got smoked by DII Florida Tech. Not only that but Kennessaw St beat one of the top contenders in the NEC which we now know that might be the best conference in the nation. xrolleyesx I'm going to have to do some research on Florida Tech, but Presby definitely made the list. Congrats guys.

honorable mention - Delaware State

Not for long. Savannah St won a game. xscanxHow far has Bethune-Cookman fallen? Anyways, congrats hornets, you got paid a lot of money this weekend to give up 30 points in the first 15 minutes, and you made the list.

No, you OVC guys don't even know bad football. Peay still stinks. Might have been the whiskey last night.

Also, Davidson earns a spot losing the Pioneer toilet bowl.

ElCid
September 25th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Glad the SOCON didn't make the list. There is actually quite a bit a parity in the conference right now, with UTC looking a bit out front. ETSU maybe, but even they showed they can compete by besting Kennesaw and WCU although they may have fallen off a bit this year. Even VMI has risen nicely.

Cocky
September 25th, 2016, 11:01 PM
Northwestern State
Alabama State
Marist
Murray
Furman
FAMU
Bethune Cookman

All should be ranked before Kennesaw and Missouri St.

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 11:02 PM
The Bottom Ten

7. Sacramento State Hornets - 0-3 and looking at going O-fer in the Big Fluffy. The hornets failed to get a win against DII W Oregon which looks to be the runnin wolves only likely victory outside of their battles with some dude named Simon Fraser.

Simon Fraser is a Canadian university in suburban Vancouver. I have lots of friends that went there. I'd love to see some of the premier universities in Canada playing DI football, I'd hope for UBC out of Vancouver though, not Simon Fraser.

ElCid
September 25th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Northwestern State
Alabama State
Marist
Murray
Furman
FAMU
Bethune Cookman

Not sure Furman is quite there yet even if purple makes me puke. They lose to Kennesaw, have at it. They still beat a huge number of teams head to head. Just happens they had a crapola schedule for September.

BisonTru
September 25th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Northwestern State
Alabama State
Marist
Murray
Furman
FAMU
Bethune Cookman

Updated. Kennesaw is off. Missouri St knows what they have to do.

Also, one team from each conference unless you just want me to rank a bunch of HBUs and Pioneer teams.

Cocky
September 25th, 2016, 11:26 PM
Updated. Kennesaw is off. Missouri St knows what they have to do.

Also, one team from each conference unless you just want me to rank a bunch of HBUs and Pioneer teams.
10-4 I didnt know the guidelines.

UIWWildthing
September 26th, 2016, 07:12 AM
The Bottom Ten

2. Delaware State Hornets - The Hornets are giving up 56 points a game. They have a small chance at victory against Florida A&M. The rest of the SWAC should get past them fairly easily.

Good thing they play in the MEAC :)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 26th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Is this the first time Savannah St. has not made the list?

Laker
September 26th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Simon Fraser is a Canadian university in suburban Vancouver. I have lots of friends that went there. I'd love to see some of the premier universities in Canada playing DI football, I'd hope for UBC out of Vancouver though, not Simon Fraser.

Just read a USCHO article about the possibility of Simon Fraser and Minot State looking at adding D1 hockey. I would doubt the second, but if SF and UBC both added it would be interesting.

Go Green
September 26th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Strictly within the context of 2016 performance, Yale is the Ivy rep on this list.

Still holds true this week.

POD Knows
September 26th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Just read a USCHO article about the possibility of Simon Fraser and Minot State looking at adding D1 hockey. I would doubt the second, but if SF and UBC both added it would be interesting.

NCAA expanding to Canada, say it isn't so.

ASU33
September 26th, 2016, 09:59 AM
We gotta be in there! I'm almost ready for basketball season at this point.

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2016, 10:50 AM

University of Toronto to the Big 10 confirmed ;)

Catatonic
September 26th, 2016, 11:13 AM

Les Miles sited at Canadian border crossing coaching resume in hand.

Twentysix
September 26th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Although this is a joke. They are a school that could do it. They have everything, the money, the academics, the media market.

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Although this is a joke. They are a school that could do it. They have everything, the money, the academics, the media market.

Oh, I know. I saw someone mention it a few years ago on reddit (I think) as kinda a half-joke, but really they'd be a great addition to the conference if it's allowed.

They're currently ranked around the 16th best academic university in the world (would make them the top one in the Big 10, just ahead of Michigan) and a few spots ahead of Northwestern and Wisconsin.
With 66k students, they'd be the largest Big 10 school (#2 would be Ohio State at 58k).
Their endowment would be a little low for the Big 10, but not the lowest (Iowa, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers are all around the same or lower).
It's the 4th largest media market in North America (behind NY, LA, and Chicago), plus with it being really close to Buffalo, it's probably about the most football-interested big city in Canada.
Being founded in 1827, they'd be the 4th oldest Big 10 school behind Rutgers, Michigan, and Indiana, so they've got history.
And, it's right in the Big 10's footprint.

I don't know if it's a situation where the NCAA won't let a Canadian university in, or if U of Toronto just isn't interested in going all-in on full-scholarship American football (they'd have to move it to the Rogers Centre probably), but if it's something that's allowed, and the school was interested, I'd think it'd be a no-brainer for the Big 10 to add them.

Mocs123
September 26th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Northwestern State
Alabama State
Marist
Murray
Furman
FAMU
Bethune Cookman

Furman isn't that bad of a football team but is victims of their scheduling. They played a good Big 10 teams and 3 ranked FCS teams. They are not the Furman of old, but they aren't the bottom of the barrel either.

Furmans defense is really good (21 of CCU's points were when Furmans defense wasn't on the field) but their offense and apparently special teams is letting them down. I imagine Fowlers seat is getting a little warm in Greenville.

lionsrking2
September 26th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Furman isn't that bad of a football team but is victims of their scheduling. They played a good Big 10 teams and 3 ranked FCS teams. They are not the Furman of old, but they aren't the bottom of the barrel either.

Furmans defense is really good (21 of CCU's points were when Furmans defense wasn't on the field) but their offense and apparently special teams is letting them down. I imagine Fowlers seat is getting a little warm in Greenville.

Northwestern State isn't that bad either. Throw the Baylor game out ... they had a hangover the next week an improved UIW team and lost late. They played better against UCA last week and against us this past weekend. They have talented players, just can't seem to put it together to win a game.

Model Citizen
September 26th, 2016, 07:17 PM
A Bottom-10 candidate by normal criteria, SW Mo should get extra consideration for dog punching.

CSU18
September 26th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Possibly the best post I've seen on here since I started following it.

Pinnum
September 26th, 2016, 10:09 PM

Already there. http://www.ncaa.com/schools/simon-fraser

Just a question about how much further they expand and if ice hockey is one of the sports.

DFW HOYA
September 26th, 2016, 10:15 PM
I don't know if it's a situation where the NCAA won't let a Canadian university in, or if U of Toronto just isn't interested in going all-in on full-scholarship American football (they'd have to move it to the Rogers Centre probably), but if it's something that's allowed, and the school was interested, I'd think it'd be a no-brainer for the Big 10 to add them.

Simon Fraser (BC) plays in Division II. American football is still a learning curve, however.

http://athletics.sfu.ca/schedule.aspx?path=football&schedule=78& (http://athletics.sfu.ca/)

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Simon Fraser (BC) plays in Division II. American football is still a learning curve, however.

http://athletics.sfu.ca/schedule.aspx?path=football&schedule=78& (http://athletics.sfu.ca/)

Ah, ok then. So there is a precedent for a Canadian university participating in the NCAA. So it's really more a matter of if U of Toronto wants to do something like that, or just stick with what they're doing (because obviously it seems to be working for them already).