PDA

View Full Version : Big South making a major membership announcement 9/13

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 03:12 PM
What is it?

https://twitter.com/BigSouthFB/status/775425754725220352

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Well, we have 18 hours in which to speculate so let's make the most of it.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2016, 03:18 PM
JSU to Big South? Get us the **** out of here!

While they're at it, bring UNA along.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Jacksonville (not State)?

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 03:19 PM
South Carolina is going to move down to FCS and join Big South. xlolx

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 03:20 PM
I'm going with Big South pilfering some combo of Campbell, Jacksonville, Stetson and Davidson. Take 2 if they want all sports members only, potentially all 4 if they are willing to have an affiliate member

Sending ripple effects through the PFL, which they won't need to immediately address as they currently have 11 members, so they would remain an autobid conference with 7 members (worst case scenario)

Big South is already at 10 members so my money is on 2 being all sports members and then maybe 1 affiliate member. 1 affiliated would give them 9 conference teams, thus a perfect schedule set up

Mayville Bison
It's obviously one of two things

1-Wichita State will be joining the conference for football only (notice the FB hashtag)
or
2-Houston decided if the Big 12 doesn't want them, the next best thing is the Big South

RootinFerDukes
How could we have let this fly under the radar.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Jacksonville (not State)?
Awwwwwwww! Drats. xsmhx

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I'm going with Big South pilfering some combo of Campbell, Jacksonville, Stetson and Davidson.

Sending ripple effects through the PFL, which they won't need to immediately address as they currently have 11 members, so they would remain an autobid conference with 7 members (worst case scenario)

Campbell, Jacksonville or Stetson. Maybe. But Davidson? Never happening.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Campbell, Jacksonville or Stetson. Maybe. But Davidson? Never happening.
Affiliate status. I have no idea if Davidson is committed to football - though I'd doubt it.

I was thinking 4 to provide an even 10 in the conference, but 3 seems perfect to get to 9 conference members.

Are you thinking they'd all be affiliate members?

centennial
September 12th, 2016, 03:24 PM
The internet will break if Wichita State goes to the Big South. Remember they have fans who think that they should go to the AAC, or the Big 12.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2016, 03:25 PM
NCAT to the Big South?

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 03:27 PM
NCAT to the Big South?
I honestly hadn't thought of MEAC teams leaving to get back to the playoff side of it.

- - - Updated - - -

The internet will break if Wichita State goes to the Big South. Remember they have fans who think that they should go to the AAC, or the Big 12.
I wish WSU would go FCS just so we could watch the world burn by forcing the egos that make up the WSU and NDSU fan bases go after each other.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 03:28 PM
NCAT to the Big South?

This one would not surprise.

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2016, 03:29 PM
My bet is the Campbell Camels are steppin' up

Nothing else - Not Jax, Not Stetson, Not Davidson. Not Wichita State....BYU...possibly (JK)

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Affiliate status. I have no idea if Davidson is committed to football - though I'd doubt it.

I was thinking 4 to provide an even 10 in the conference, but 3 seems perfect to get to 9 conference members.

Are you thinking they'd all be affiliate members?

Davidson cares nothing about football. Nada. The others I can maybe see from what I have heard here and there. Not sure about affiliate status.

RootinFerDukes
September 12th, 2016, 03:31 PM

I know you're joking... maybe. However, the OVC is a more regional and two bid league. The Big South is very likely one bid moving forward. Why would you go anywhere near the Big South. That's a conference demotion.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2016, 03:31 PM
I'd love to see some MEAC teams come back to the playoffs and Jacksonville step their game up.

centennial
September 12th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I honestly hadn't thought of MEAC teams leaving to get back to the playoff side of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish WSU would go FCS just so we could watch the world burn by forcing the egos that make up the WSU and NDSU fan bases go after each other.
I agree some of our fan base is no different from Iowa, or Alabama, or WSU. Most of the folks that behave poorly are not alumni. I think most of the sane ones realize that this run is historic, and is probably once in a lifetime kind of thing. WSU fans might actually be worst than our fans..

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Another less sexy possible announcement might be Monmouth is re-upping Big South associate membership for another 4 years.

RootinFerDukes
In all seriousness though, my guess would be a regional Pioneer league team like Campbell, or a surprise regional D2. Either way, the Big South is going to dominate FCS moving forward.

UNIFanSince1983
Winthrop and High Point start football, and Campbell starts offering schollies.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I agree some of our fan base is no different from Iowa, or Alabama, or WSU. Most of the folks that behave poorly are not alumni. I think most of the sane ones realize that this run is historic, and is probably once in a lifetime kind of thing. WSU fans might actually be worst than our fans..

They might be. Tough to compare. You guys actually have titles this century, but their basketball runs have been impressive.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 03:35 PM
In all seriousness though, my guess would be a regional Pioneer league team like Campbell, or a surprise regional D2. Either way, the Big South is going to dominate FCS moving forward.
A D2 would take 6 years. I can't imagine the Big South is willing to go that far to save the conference football bid.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Winthrop and High Point start football, and Campbell starts offering schollies.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ld0P4AdeSDjoY/giphy.gif

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Best bet is they are picking off a MEAC or Pioneer team, or two.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2016, 03:51 PM
If NCAT is indeed the team to make the jump, that makes for a tough problem for the 13 team MEAC. Not so much for football, since the MEAC could survive NCAT leaving (they would have 10 football-playing schools, and actually would have a very football-friendly setup for a MEAC championship game similar to the SWAC:

North
Delaware State
Howard
Norfolk State
Hampton
Morgan State

South
Bethune-Cookman
Florida A&M
NC Central
South Carolina State
Savannah State

This, however, could make it awkward for other sports, who have two non-FB teams (Coppin State and UMES) that unquestionably should be in the North.

eaglesdare
September 12th, 2016, 04:02 PM
There's debate among MEAC fans if we could pull the attendance for a Championship game. Probably would have to be at the home site. NCCU has one of the best Athletic Directors in the MEAC, really fixed up the academic side and we recently had an MLB draft pick.

SU DOG
September 12th, 2016, 04:04 PM
A D2 would take 6 years. I can't imagine the Big South is willing to go that far to save the conference football bid.

Depends. If that D-2 was UNA(I have NO idea that it is), I guarantee you that it would not take half that long. IMO,FCS conferences are missing out on that choice.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Depends. If that D-2 was UNA(I have NO idea that it is), I guarantee you that it would not take half that long. IMO,FCS conferences are missing out on that choice.
No, it legitimately takes 6 years to get your entire athletic department to the D1 level. You can't move just your football. You have to move your entire athletic department and it's a 5 year transition. There's no way around that, at all. That's set by the NCAA.

SU DOG
September 12th, 2016, 04:12 PM
No, it legitimately takes 6 years to get your entire athletic department to the D1 level. You can't move just your football. You have to move your entire athletic department and it's a 5 year transition. There's no way around that, at all. That's set by the NCAA.

Sorry I misunderstood your message, as I was thinking only of being competitive on the football field. Yes, UNA would have lots of work to do there. Still, I think they would be a very good addition for the Big South.

MUfan
September 12th, 2016, 04:17 PM
The Atlantic Sun is also making a major announcement tomorrow morning (9/13).
I'm guessing some sort of agreement with the Big South concerning possible football members, or new member to A-Sun because Stetson and Jacksonville are headed to the Big South.

Catatonic
September 12th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Agree. ANY D2 will take 4 years though due to NCAA rules.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2016, 04:33 PM
The Atlantic Sun is also making a major announcement tomorrow morning (9/13).
I'm guessing some sort of agreement with the Big South concerning possible football members, or new member to A-Sun because Stetson and Jacksonville are headed to the Big South.

Agree. Something involving Campbell has now shot to the top of the class.

MUfan
September 12th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Campbell already in Big South but Pioneer for football. still possible though.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Campbell already in Big South but Pioneer for football. still possible though.
Well, the tweet came from the Big South football account and specifically mentioned Big South FB membership.

I'd say that if Vegas were to put odds on programs Campbell would be the favorite.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Well, the tweet came from the Big South football account and specifically mentioned Big South FB membership.

I'd say that if Vegas were to put odds on programs Campbell would be the favorite.

That is not very sexy. We should have been abel to come up with a better story than this.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 04:44 PM
That is not very sexy. We should have been abel to come up with a better story than this.
That's why I tried to float 4 teams leaving the PFL, leading to a ripple effect that would put them right on the edge of losing the AQ and potentially push San Diego to go to scholarships, force Davidson, Drake and Butler to **** or get off the pot, etc...

That didn't gain much tractions.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Drake to the MVFC.

MUfan
September 12th, 2016, 04:47 PM

Maybe they are kicking KSU out for losing to ETSU.

dgtw
September 12th, 2016, 04:59 PM

Hell no. Travel sucks as it is. I do not want road games in New Jersey. I'd take the SoCon in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU DOG
September 12th, 2016, 04:59 PM
I think Campbell will take its football to the Big South, but I look for it to be a bit later - probably 2018.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2016, 05:02 PM
I think something is genuinely big afoot. Some sort of major restructuring of the A-Sun and Big South, possibly with some D-II or MEAC teams involved.

Some are speculating merger, which is also possible, but I think there's going to be some sort of non-FB for FB swap involving Kennesaw State.

dbackjon
September 12th, 2016, 05:03 PM
I think something is genuinely big afoot. Some sort of major restructuring of the A-Sun and Big South, possibly with some D-II or MEAC teams involved.

Some are speculating merger, which is also possible, but I think there's going to be some sort of non-FB for FB swap involving Kennesaw State.

They would be dumb to give up a basketball auto-bid

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2016, 05:05 PM
They would be dumb to give up a basketball auto-bid

+1, which is why I'm thinking "swap" instead of "merger"

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Is there any way in hell that the Big South would willingly swap Winthrop to the A-Sun for Kennesaw State?

The Yo Show
September 12th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Maybe the Big South is going FBS as a conference xlolx?

kperk014
September 12th, 2016, 05:16 PM

Who the hell is this campbell I keep seeing tossed about? Is that a school the late, drunk Otis Campbell started before his death?

kperk014
September 12th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Maybe they are kicking KSU out for losing to ETSU.

Perennially powerless etsu won a game?! HOLY COW!!!!

MUfan
September 12th, 2016, 05:18 PM
I think Campbell will take its football to the Big South, but I look for it to be a bit later - probably 2018.
This could be the official announcement.

kperk014
September 12th, 2016, 05:20 PM
This could be the official announcement.

Earth-shaking. The rumblings are spreading round the world. No wonder they've tweeted it's a "major" announcement. :D

Same old, tired names. Some of these conferences need a shot of fresh blood, not rehashed mediocrity.

MUfan
September 12th, 2016, 05:24 PM
Is there any way in hell that the Big South would willingly swap Winthrop to the A-Sun for Kennesaw State?

I don't think A-Sun wants to give up KSU. That's a big school and their only one in Georgia.

maristdb89
September 12th, 2016, 05:55 PM
As a PFL guy, my money is on Campbell

Sandlapper Spike
September 12th, 2016, 05:59 PM
I'll make a wild and almost certainly wrong guess, based on various twitter reports from media, etc.:

No additions will be made tomorrow. Rather, the Big South will announce that it is partnering with the Atlantic Sun on a new single-sport football conference, a la the MVFC and CAA.

dakotadan
September 12th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Maybe the Big South is going FBS as a conference xlolx? They have been working behind the scenes with the WAC.

knucklehead
September 12th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I'll make a wild and almost certainly wrong guess, based on various twitter reports from media, etc.:

No additions will be made tomorrow. Rather, the Big South will announce that it is partnering with the Atlantic Sun on a new single-sport football conference, a la the MVFC and CAA.

I was beginning to gather this vibe as well.

Which just simply ensures you are 100% wrong.

PAllen
September 12th, 2016, 06:14 PM
I'm going with Big South pilfering some combo of Campbell, Jacksonville, Stetson and Davidson. Take 2 if they want all sports members only, potentially all 4 if they are willing to have an affiliate member

Big South is already at 10 members so my money is on 2 being all sports members and then maybe 1 affiliate member. 1 affiliated would give them 9 conference teams, thus a perfect schedule set up

This, although I don't think Davidson is in the equation. Maybe Delaware State?

hebmskebm
September 12th, 2016, 06:32 PM

My take on that is... if the partnership doesn't include at least two of Campbell, Stetson or Jacksonville stepping up and actually joining the new football league (doesn't have to be right away, just an announcement that they're going to move there), then why even bother? It really makes no sense for the A-Sun to take on football if 2/3rds of the schools in the league who offer football don't even join!

MUfan
September 12th, 2016, 06:58 PM
My take on that is... if the partnership doesn't include at least two of Campbell, Stetson or Jacksonville stepping up and actually joining the new football league (doesn't have to be right away, just an announcement that they're going to move there), then why even bother? It really makes no sense for the A-Sun to take on football if 2/3rds of the schools in the league who offer football don't even join!

A couple of reasons for A-Sun to do this would be to keep KSU from going full BIG South and give any potential D2 risers a place to play football if the A-Sun has to go that route. Also helps to keep Jacksonville and Stetson if they decide to go scholarship. Could pull many southern teams out of the PFL.

WestCoastAggie
September 12th, 2016, 07:14 PM
A&T to the Big South? Nah. That ship sailed long ago. Campbell, Jacksonville and Stetson are likely to become affiliate members for football.

MUfan
September 12th, 2016, 07:17 PM
A&T to the Big South? Nah. That ship sailed long ago. Campbell, Jacksonville and Stetson are likely to become affiliate members for football.
Campbell is already there except for football(PFL).

WestCoastAggie
September 12th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Campbell is already there except for football(PFL).

You're right. Jacksonville and Stetson would be the affiliate members who'll Campbell would become full conference members. Either way, the PFL is getting raided.

Whose replacing these schools?

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Wasn't aware of the A-Sun simultaneous Presser; so I'll revise my speculation...quite a bit.

Announcement is that Big South and A-Sun are merging to become the "Atlantic South Conference."
HQ will be in Charlotte (current Big South HQ) and A-Sun will close down Macon, GA HQ's.
Conference will include 2 Divisions for Sports with X number of participants and only 1 Division for Football and other sports with fewer than X number of participants.

NORTH DIVISION (all sports except Football)
1) Lipscomb (TN)
2) NJIT (NJ) (if they are not 'booted out')
3) Campbell (NC)
4) Gardner-Webb (NC)
5) High Point U (NC)
6) Liberty (VA)
7) Longwood (VA)
8) Radford (VA)
9) UNC Asheville
10) Monmouth (NJ) (if not 'booted out')

SOUTH DIVISION (all sports except Football)
1) Kennesaw (GA)
2) Presbyterian (SC)
3) Charleston Southern (SC)
4) North Florida (FL)
5) Florida Gulf Coast (FL)
6) Jacksonville (FL)
7) Stetson (FL)
8) Winthrop (SC)
9) USC Upstate (SC)

FOOTBALL
1) Charleston Southern
2) Liberty
3) Presbyterian
4) Kennesaw
5) Gardner Webb
6) Monmouth (if not 'booted out')
7) Campbell (will add scholarships, exit PFL, & play partial AS Schedule in 2017, Full Member in 2018)
8) Jacksonville (exploring adding scholarships; if so, will exit PFL & play partial AS Schedule after 1st scholarship recruiting class and be full member in the following year)
9) Stetson (exploring adding scholarships; if so, will exit PFL & play partial AS Schedule after 1st scholarship recruiting class and be full member in the following year)
10) North Florida (exploring starting football program - will phase-in depending on timetable of school's decision)
11) Winthrop (now in Football Conference, reconsiders starting football program - will phase-in depending on timetable of school's decision)

Sound like a plan?

MUfan
September 12th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Wasn't aware of the A-Sun simultaneous Presser; so I'll revise my speculation...quite a bit.

Announcement is that Big South and A-Sun are merging to become the "Atlantic South Conference."
HQ will be in Charlotte (current Big South HQ) and A-Sun will close down Macon, GA HQ's.
Conference will include 2 Divisions for Sports with X number of participants and only 1 Division for Football and other sports with fewer than X number of participants.

NORTH DIVISION (all sports except Football)
1) Lipscomb (TN)
2) NJIT (NJ) (if they are not 'booted out')
3) Campbell (NC)
4) Gardner-Webb (NC)
5) High Point U (NC)
6) Liberty (VA)
7) Longwood (VA)
8) Radford (VA)
9) UNC Asheville
10) Monmouth (NJ) (if not 'booted out')

SOUTH DIVISION (all sports except Football)
1) Kennesaw (GA)
2) Presbyterian (SC)
3) Charleston Southern (SC)
4) North Florida (FL)
5) Florida Gulf Coast (FL)
6) Jacksonville (FL)
7) Stetson (FL)
8) Winthrop (SC)
9) USC Upstate (SC)

FOOTBALL
1) Charleston Southern
2) Liberty
3) Presbyterian
4) Kennesaw
5) Gardner Webb
6) Monmouth (if not 'booted out')
7) Campbell (will add scholarships, exit PFL, & play partial AS Schedule in 2017, Full Member in 2018)
8) Jacksonville (exploring adding scholarships; if so, will exit PFL & play partial AS Schedule after 1st scholarship recruiting class and be full member in the following year)
9) Stetson (exploring adding scholarships; if so, will exit PFL & play partial AS Schedule after 1st scholarship recruiting class and be full member in the following year)
10) North Florida (exploring starting football program - will phase-in depending on timetable of school's decision)
11) Winthrop (now in Football Conference, reconsiders starting football program - will phase-in depending on timetable of school's decision)

Sound like a plan?
I don't think they'll go that far.
I can see a Big Sun Football League though

jsnow84
September 12th, 2016, 08:13 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Schism55
September 12th, 2016, 08:20 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Haha pretty much this.

Model Citizen
September 12th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Drake to the MVFC.

Northwestern to the PFL.

melloware13
September 12th, 2016, 10:22 PM
An "out of left field" possibility could be NJIT, they're in A-Sun and seem committed to spending right now. Red Bull Arena (25,000) is a few miles off campus. However, I think I would have heard something before about these plans. Location in Newark would be a plus for Monmouth and recruiting, but not much else.

kperk014
September 12th, 2016, 11:07 PM
My prediction is the little sissies in the little south and the ovc will continue to duck the University of North Alabama because it would be embarrassing for almost every team in those conferences to start getting their butts kicked in less than a year by the new kids in the conference. So I predict they will continue to favor the campbell soups and stetson hats rather than try to make the conference better. I mean, who wants to lose their homecoming game by 40 points? xlolx

Thumper 76
September 12th, 2016, 11:11 PM
My prediction is the little sissies in the little south and the ovc will continue to duck the University of North Alabama because it would be embarrassing for almost every team in those conferences to start getting their butts kicked in less than a year by the new kids in the conference. So I predict they will continue to favor the campbell soups and stetson hats rather than try to make the conference better. I mean, who wants to lose their homecoming game by 40 points? xlolx

And let me guess, afterwards UNA would run roughshod through the playoffs and have more fans at the championship where they would dismantle NDSU as if they were a NAIA school. Amirite?

kperk014
September 12th, 2016, 11:24 PM
And let me guess, afterwards UNA would run roughshod through the playoffs and have more fans at the championship where they would dismantle NDSU as if they were a NAIA school. Amirite?

Wow! You certainly won the DUMB ASS OF THE NIGHT AWARD.

Congrats, boy.

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Wow! You certainly won the DUMB ASS OF THE NIGHT AWARD.

Congrats, boy.

If you knew him, you would not be calling him that. He is quite knowledgeable.

kperk014
September 12th, 2016, 11:29 PM
If you knew him, you would not be calling him that. He is quite knowledgeable.

xlolx You certainly couldn't prove that by her post. We played Jax State better than anyone will in the OVC this year despite breaking in a completely new backfield and offensive coordinator. So no, we would not fear anyone else in the conference which is all I was talking about to begin with.

Thumper 76
September 12th, 2016, 11:41 PM
xlolx You certainly couldn't prove that by her post. We played Jax State better than anyone will in the OVC this year despite breaking in a completely new backfield and offensive coordinator. So no, we would not fear anyone else in the conference which is all I was talking about to begin with.

xlolx yeah there wasn't buckets full of arrogance in your post to deserve the response I gave it or anything.....and keep calling me her/boy/other pathetic nickname, I love try hards, they're hilarious.

kperk014
September 12th, 2016, 11:50 PM
xlolx yeah there wasn't buckets full of arrogance in your post to deserve the response I gave it or anything.....and keep calling me her/boy/other pathetic nickname, I love try hards, they're hilarious.

Would you have preferred "girl"? You never know these days. Why didn't you learn to read? It sure would help you when you get into your teens. :D
bu
I'm kidding around with you, son. Sometimes I enjoy shooting fish in a barrel. But I get it. How many championships have you won at good ole SDSU?

Thumper 76
September 12th, 2016, 11:51 PM
Would you have preferred "girl"? You never know these days. Why didn't you learn to read? It sure would help you when you get into your teens.

Gosh you're good at this.

Go...gate
September 12th, 2016, 11:52 PM
Northwestern to the Patriot League.

Fixed it for you!

kperk014
September 13th, 2016, 12:06 AM
Gosh you're good at this.

I know. I've tried to break myself from doing that but when someone chooses to mischaracterize my posts, I get a little ticked. Sorry bout that chief. I will try to do better.

Have a good evening.

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2016, 12:45 AM
I know. I've tried to break myself from doing that but when someone chooses to mischaracterize my posts, I get a little ticked. Sorry bout that chief. I will try to do better.

Have a good evening.

Yeah, mischaracterized. You called them little sissies, the little south, and claimed you would be winning by 40 at their homecomings. I didn't mischaracterize ****. Speaking of shooting fish in a barrel, nice edit after I quoted you to make me look like I dodged your question. The answer is zero of course. How many DI wins does UNA have?

Anyways, it's late and I've got work tomorrow, and I'm sure it's time for you to brush your tooth and go to bed as well. Till next time, squirt.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2016, 08:01 AM
The theory that ties together all the threads of the announcements/prior utterances:

* Big South/A Sun announce football-only construct run by Big South office (hypothetical name: Atlantic South Football Conference")

* One or more D-II teams announce A Sun membership (some possible names: UNA, West Liberty, West Georgia, Valdosta State). They start transition to D-I FCS and schedule entry into the ASFC when transition is partly or mostly done

* (Optional) Some PFL schools join new conference that are A Sun or exisiting Big South members (Campbell, Stetson, Jacksonville)

Still a theory but IMO it's the strongest because:

* Big South and A Sun keep autobids
* D-II move-ups solve membership problem for A Sun (they are at 8)
* Football alliance cements FB side of house with large league in little danger of dissoution when Liberty leaves

Sycamore62
September 13th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Its probably that Big South is expanding their official website's fan zone merchandise offerings.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2016, 09:00 AM
"We've hired a branding expert..."

Libertine
September 13th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Boom. Yahoo jumped the gun.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-south-asun-form-fcs-member-partnership-134358720--ncaaf.html

While fighting for relevancy in the subdivision, the Big South Conference has turned to a conference that doesn't sponsor football to establish a unique member partnership.
Under the arrangement, already effective and set to be announced Tuesday, current or future Atlantic Sun Conference scholarship-football members within the geographic footprint of the Big South will automatically be admitted to the conference as associate football members.

But the two-conference partnership provides a guaranteed home for Kennesaw State, an Atlantic Sun member in other sports, and a potential guaranteed home for other football programs, including Atlantic Sun members Jacksonville and Stetson and Big South member Campbell. Those three play on the FCS level in the non-scholarship Pioneer Football League, and each program would join Big South football should it move to the scholarship level.

The agreement doesn't change the conference name as the football teams will play under the banner of the Big South.

Two ASUN members, North Florida and Florida Gulf Coast, have conducted feasibility studies for the addition of football, but have no immediate plans for starting programs. ASUN members Lipscomb, New Jersey Institute of Technology and South Carolina Upstate also don't sponsor football.
"The Big South has received multiple postseason berths, earned multiple postseason wins and had many postseason hosting opportunities for its football members," ASUN commissioner Ted Gumbart said. "We plan to contribute strongly and significantly to the continued growth of our joint football league and look forward to enhancing the winning tradition of Big South football."
"I think there will be (change)," Kallander said, "but I'm not suggesting any is going to be imminent."

Libertine
September 13th, 2016, 09:13 AM
So, in the short term, this means nothing.

In the long term, it indicates that someone in the Pioneer (either Jacksonville, Campbell or Stetson or any combination thereof) is ...

...evaluating the prospect of adding scholarships
... wants assurances that they'll still have a conference to play in if they do
... wants assurances that their other sports won't have to move when they add schollie football

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Under the arrangement, already effective and set to be announced Tuesday, current or future Atlantic Sun Conference scholarship-football members within the geographic footprint of the Big South will automatically be admitted to the conference as associate football members.

So... WTH does that mean for Campbell, Stetson, and Jacksonville? "Sorry, no more PFL for you... you're automatically admitted to the Big South!"

Honestly I think this is intended to make it easier for future D-II teams heading to the A Sun to get their football teams into the Big South. It allows the A Sun to get a team like UNA and not worry about a football problem.

Gangtackle11
September 13th, 2016, 09:15 AM
So, in the short term, this means nothing. In the long term, it indicates that somebody in the Pioneer is evaluating scholarships.

Thats how I read it. If & when they offer schollies they are welcome.

RootinFerDukes
September 13th, 2016, 09:24 AM
This might be the most anti-climatic conference realignment news to come out since Liberty held a press conference to announce they wanted to go FBS.

You release a press statement to say that Campbell MAY become a full time Big South member and that Jacksonville and Stetson MAY become FB only members of the Big South.

Good lord the internet is breaking right now.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 13th, 2016, 09:25 AM
So essentially Stetson and maybe Campbell or Jacksonville become football-only affiliate members of the Big South?

Libertine
September 13th, 2016, 09:26 AM
So essentially Stetson and maybe Campbell or Jacksonville become football-only affiliate members of the Big South?

If and only if they go scholarship.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Can you force a team against their will to join your football conference?

Libertine
September 13th, 2016, 09:32 AM
So... WTH does that mean for Campbell, Stetson, and Jacksonville? "Sorry, no more PFL for you... you're automatically admitted to the Big South!"

Honestly I think this is intended to make it easier for future D-II teams heading to the A Sun to get their football teams into the Big South. It allows the A Sun to get a team like UNA and not worry about a football problem.

Clenz already stated it but moving a D2 up takes five years and the Big South probably doesn't have that kind of time. They need a membership infusion tout suite and adding scholarships for any of those schools you mentioned would fill that need.

dgtw
September 13th, 2016, 09:34 AM
In other words, the big announcement doesn't do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Under the arrangement, current or future ASUN Conference members that sponsor scholarship football will automatically be admitted as associate football members into the Big South Conference, so long as they are based in a pre-determined geographical footprint that spans the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast regions.

http://bigsouthsports.com/news/2016/9/12/FB_0912162601.aspx

This press conference only formalizes what was already common knowledge. Stetson, Jacksonville, and Campbell will have a Big South home if they decide they want to offer scholarships. If the A-Sun takes on West Georgia, their football will automagically play in the Big South.

Libertine
September 13th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Can you force a team against their will to join your football conference?

No one is being drafted into the Big South. If any of those schools add scholarships, the PFL will kick them out. This announcement, however, basically gives somebody -- and exactly who is up for speculation -- the welcoming nod that they'll have a conference home once they pull the scholarship trigger.

Libertine
September 13th, 2016, 09:43 AM
From the Big South official statement:

http://bigsouthsports.com/news/2016/9/12/FB_0912162601.aspx

Under the arrangement, current or future ASUN Conference members that sponsor scholarship football will automatically be admitted as associate football members into the Big South Conference, so long as they are based in a pre-determined geographical footprint that spans the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast regions.

Does this mean that football-playing programs at Campbell, Stetson and Jacksonville must join Big South Football?
No. Campbell, Stetson and Jacksonville are currently non-scholarship football programs. They have no obligation to change their current status as Pioneer Football League members. This agreement does, however, ensure that the ASUN institutions as well as Campbell -- should they elect to begin participation in scholarship football sometime in the future, will have a guaranteed conference home as they would automatically become members of Big South Football.

Can the Big South and the ASUN both add new members that play football?
Yes. While both conferences have a strong and stable core membership, both are interested in growing the strength of Big South Football. The Big South has the ability to add associate members or full members that participate in football. Now the ASUN can also add members to Big South Football if they are a member of the ASUN.

Will ASUN schools that play scholarship football have the same conference benefits as Big South Conference members?
Yes. All football members of the Big South will share the same scheduling, AQ eligibility and promotional opportunities.

Will there be a change in the name for Big South Conference football?
No. The agreement relates only to the membership access and commitments for ASUN scholarship football programs.

Future members are included so this is relevant to future D2 move-ups. I'm curious as to what the "pre-determined geographical footprint" is.

clenz
September 13th, 2016, 09:45 AM
My reaction to this "major announcement"

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/632/211/aa0.png

Libertine
September 13th, 2016, 09:48 AM
This announcement only means anything if something else comes of it.

clenz
September 13th, 2016, 09:56 AM
This announcement only means anything if something else comes of it.
It's like announcing that you're announcing that there might be an announcement in the future about possible announcements. To call this major is a massive let down and lie on the part of the Big South

Go Green
September 13th, 2016, 10:03 AM
If any of those schools add scholarships, the PFL will kick them out. .

Intentionally, anyway. If they accidentally add scholarships, they just get probation.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-08-01/story/how-non-scholarship-football-Jacksonville#

Model Citizen
September 13th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Although I lack the authority to make this offer, allow me to flip today's announcement on its head.

The PFL hereby offers membership to any current or future member of Big South football that drops football scholarships.

WestCoastAggie
September 13th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Intentionally, anyway. If they accidentally add scholarships, they just get probation.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-08-01/story/how-non-scholarship-football-Jacksonville#

accidentally, on purpose.

ElonFirefighter
September 13th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Moving up in competition from the Sun Belt App State announces it will Play in the BS next year

BadlandsGrizFan
September 13th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Man...what a trash conference

jsnow84
September 13th, 2016, 10:34 AM
What else would one expect to hear? Kyle Kallander is an absolute joke as a Conference Commissioner. He would be challenged to put together a small city Little League organization. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

RootinFerDukes
September 13th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Moving up in competition from the Sun Belt App State announces it will Play in the BS next year

It really is funny how CUSA and SBC fans will try their damnedest to convince us that they're so much more big time than the top of FCS. "Hey, Lindy's preseason mag featured us on a whole page!" "We get one ESPNU game a year but we have to play on a Thursday in front of 10k fans. Careful camera man, keep your lens on the field only!"

walliver
September 13th, 2016, 10:50 AM
The most rational option would be for the two conferences to merge. Since it would still be a single bid conference, the loss of an automatic bid and its associated money would be difficult.
The Big South struggles to maintain its football bid. The A-Sun struggles to keep its basketball bid. The A-Sun teams are spread out geographically, and most don't have large budgets to begin with.
I suspect every A-Sun team would leave if offered by another D-I conference. I also suspect every Big South football member would leave for another full-scholarship FCS conference.

The purpose of this announcement seems to be to keep KSU in both camps - at least until they go to the SunBelt.

ccd494
September 13th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I actually... can't knock this announcement. Maybe it was overhyped, but it's a pretty big deal for the A-Sun.

One of the problems America East had when it was losing members was that most of the prospective new members had football programs and the A-East had nowhere for them to play. I think if there had been some sort of agreement that A-East members automatically got entrance into some other football league, both Bryant and Central Connecticut would be in America East right now. Instead, A-East had to entice D-II, non-football UMass-Lowell to move up. And it has been great, but the pool of non-football northeast colleges that fit in with the rest of the conference was pretty small for joining the conference (insert Hofstra and Northeastern joke here).

Now, when the A-Sun opens conversations with D-II's to move up, they have a solid, concrete answer to "Where will we play football?" The answer previously ("We can probably get you into the Big South") wasn't ideal.

WTFCollegefootballfan
September 13th, 2016, 11:38 AM
xboringx

UNIFanSince1983
September 13th, 2016, 11:40 AM
http://www.jessicahickok.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/leglampaward.gif

aceinthehole
September 13th, 2016, 11:47 AM
I actually... can't knock this announcement. Maybe it was overhyped, but it's a pretty big deal for the A-Sun.

One of the problems America East had when it was losing members was that most of the prospective new members had football programs and the A-East had nowhere for them to play. I think if there had been some sort of agreement that A-East members automatically got entrance into some other football league, both Bryant and Central Connecticut would be in America East right now. Instead, A-East had to entice D-II, non-football UMass-Lowell to move up. And it has been great, but the pool of non-football northeast colleges that fit in with the rest of the conference was pretty small for joining the conference (insert Hofstra and Northeastern joke here).

Now, when the A-Sun opens conversations with D-II's to move up, they have a solid, concrete answer to "Where will we play football?" The answer previously ("We can probably get you into the Big South") wasn't ideal.

+100%

I believe the lack of a home for football is certainly a significant factor (possibly the only factor) holding back Central Connecticut and/or Bryant from leaving the NEC for America East. But it is clear the America East doesn't hold the clout to negotiate that kind of deal with the CAA.

wcucat15
September 13th, 2016, 12:14 PM
It's like announcing that you're announcing that there might be an announcement in the future about possible announcements. To call this major is a massive let down and lie on the part of the Big South

I'm still laughing at the quote.

dbackjon
September 13th, 2016, 12:20 PM

Yup - bigger deal than the nay-sayers are giving them credit for.

It helps cement the A-Sun's overall survival, and Big South Football's autobid.

kperk014
September 13th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Yup - bigger deal than the nay-sayers are giving them credit for.

It helps cement the A-Sun's overall survival, and Big South Football's autobid.

That's why UNA isn't already there two years ago.

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2016, 12:42 PM
In theory, they could join the Big South without scholarships.

kperk014
September 13th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Yeah, mischaracterized. You called them little sissies, the little south, and claimed you would be winning by 40 at their homecomings. I didn't mischaracterize ****. Speaking of shooting fish in a barrel, nice edit after I quoted you to make me look like I dodged your question. The answer is zero of course. How many DI wins does UNA have?

Anyways, it's late and I've got work tomorrow, and I'm sure it's time for you to brush your tooth and go to bed as well. Till next time, squirt.

Geez hun, I really didn't mean to ruffle your pretty pink panties. Tell me, how problematic is it for you to choose the correct restroom? I would not dare make a guess. I'll help you make a quick count of the inventory of National Championship trophies your school has. Ok, here we go: ZERO. It is too bad you ladies weren't good enough to encounter the Lions in the '90s playoffs so you could have gotcha some of that! :D North Dakota took it on the chin 35-7 after they had just knocked off NDSU. The next year Ferris State felt the the wrath of 45-7.

PS: And if you think SOME of the schools in those conferences don't want any part of UNA coming in football-wise, maybe it's time you change those little pink panties. I know for a fact we were blocked by some of the OVC schools. They already see Jax State has taken control of the conference and the last thing they want is another Alabama school coming in to make it worse.

Another edit: UNA is one game below .500 against D1 schools, 0-1 against the SEC with one win over an FBS school, Louisiana-Lafayette. Just think what we could do with 29 more scholarships.

N - indicates game played at neutral site UNA vs. Division I Programs (2-2)
1959 at Vanderbilt .. 7-42
1972 at Appalachian State .. 3-17
1973 Appalachian State..21-7
1997 at Southwestern Louisiana (4 OT)..48-42

UNA vs. FCS Programs since Division I-AA was formed in 1978 (6-6)
1978 at Austin Peay ..10-6 1979
at Middle Tennessee State... 20-17
1977 East Tennessee 37-21
1980 Middle Tennessee State..36-0
1981 at Southwest Missouri State..28-21
1982 Southwest Missouri State...17-3
1992 Troy State...10-24
1993 at Youngstown State ..14-17 in the battle of the two best non-D1A teams of the 90's.
1999 at Elon.... 15-35
2002 at Samford...21-24 (2 OT)
2003 at Jacksonville State ..28-16
2013 at Jacksonville State .... 21-24 (2 OT)

We should have moved up during that decade but we were in the midst of hosting the National Championship Game and the Harlon Hill Award for 28 years in a row. Some folks just didn't want to give that up.

Bison56
September 13th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Geez hun, I really didn't mean to ruffle your pretty pink panties. Tell me, how problematic is it for you to choose the correct restroom? I would not dare make a guess. I'll help you make a quick count of the inventory of National Championship trophies your school has. Ok, here we go: ZERO. It is too bad you ladies weren't good enough to encounter the Lions in the '90s playoffs so you could have gotcha some of that! :D North Dakota took it on the chin 35-7 after they had just knocked off NDSU. The next year Ferris State felt the the wrath of 45-7.

PS: And if you think SOME of the schools in those conferences don't want any part of UNA coming in football-wise, maybe it's time you change those little pink panties. I know for a fact we were blocked by some of the OVC schools. They already see Jax State has taken control of the conference and the last thing they want is another Alabama school coming in to make it worse.

Another edit: UNA is one game below .500 against D1 schools, 0-1 against the SEC with one win over an FBS school, Louisiana-Lafayette. Just think what we could do with 29 more scholarships.

We should have moved up during that decade but we were in the midst of hosting the National Championship Game and the Harlon Hill Award for 28 years in a row. Some folks just didn't want to give that up.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/ca/6d/f9/ca6df92ebd9e89f002623beda370970a.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwieo7GE-IzPAhXBQCYKHTadC0wQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F413205 334537381719%2F&psig=AFQjCNFvOzskeH40fkshoBE8faPorb3u_A&ust=1473876507897080)

kperk014
September 13th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Amazing but true. You don't find many D2 schools who have beaten an FBS and is only one game under .500 against 1AA/FCS.

Bison56
September 13th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Amazing but true. You don't find many D2 schools who have beaten an FBS and is only one game under .500 against 1AA/FCS.

http://memeshappen.com/media/created/Tell-us-again-How-good-are-you-meme-36175.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjp9OX8-4zPAhXEyoMKHc3vAlgQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemeshappen.com%2Fmeme%2Fray-liota%2Ftell-us-again-how-good-are-you-36175&psig=AFQjCNEqP4gcVbx2h4OL4TDX1ehdFZiebQ&ust=1473877567325052)

kperk014
September 13th, 2016, 01:30 PM
http://memeshappen.com/media/created/Tell-us-again-How-good-are-you-meme-36175.jpg[/IMG] (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjp9OX8-4zPAhXEyoMKHc3vAlgQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemeshappen.com%2Fmeme%2Fray-liota%2Ftell-us-again-how-good-are-you-36175&psig=AFQjCNEqP4gcVbx2h4OL4TDX1ehdFZiebQ&ust=1473877567325052)

Uh good enough to be in the OVC or Big South, peckerhead. We have just as good of a resume as NDSU did when they made the move and BETTER than probably 80% of the schools that have already made the move. So laugh away as imbeciles tend to do. xcoolx

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2016, 01:32 PM
http://memeshappen.com/media/created/Tell-us-again-How-good-are-you-meme-36175.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjp9OX8-4zPAhXEyoMKHc3vAlgQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemeshappen.com%2Fmeme%2Fray-liota%2Ftell-us-again-how-good-are-you-36175&psig=AFQjCNEqP4gcVbx2h4OL4TDX1ehdFZiebQ&ust=1473877567325052)

Who knew that UNA had a Lakesbison?

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2016, 01:35 PM

Especially when you go back to the 70s to do it

kperk014
September 13th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Who knew that UNA had a Lakesbison?

I hope you got all freshened up, darlin' xsmiley_wix

kperk014
September 13th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Especially when you go back to the 70s to do it

Well sweetheart, we ARE D2 and after we beat the Cajuns in 1997, let's just say invitations to play stopped after that but good try though, missy.

Mayville Bison
September 13th, 2016, 01:41 PM

Obviously good enough to win the 85 Palm Bowl, right?

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Well sweetheart, we ARE D2 and after we beat the Cajuns in 1997, let's just say invitations to play stopped after that but good try though, missy.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160913/515ce30e884ae9a2035f8af4393f35f7.jpg

Schism55
September 13th, 2016, 01:42 PM
.....and when is the last time UNA won the 'chip? Oh that's right, 2+ decades.

Schism55
September 13th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Regarding topic of this so called announcement, IF grandma had balls, she'd be grandpa.

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Geez, maybe WSU isn't the team that would challenge NDSU fans. :D

Bison56
September 13th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Obviously good enough to win the 85 Palm Bowl, right?

http://www.troll.me/images/trololo/i-heard-you-lost.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiBmvzVgI3PAhUk2oMKHZW1BV0QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.keyword-suggestions.com%2FeW91IGxvc3QgbWVtZQ%2F&bvm=bv.132479545,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNFkbM0roTI7tPky40LpLlFxdWcxHQ&ust=1473878806636600)

Bison56
September 13th, 2016, 01:52 PM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/55/5567ce06a953fadeb4884cce451040351fa4bab0640c52f3fc 6e3384f5407295.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjpn4PPgY3PAhVB54MKHcaEBlUQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.destructoid.com%2Fblogs%2Fta terchimp%2Fraging-chart-on-player-ratings-269976.phtml&bvm=bv.132479545,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNEOu7_nzfF55ysU-AaJ1yd-X5Ls7w&ust=1473878973845718)

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Geez, maybe WSU isn't the team that would challenge NDSU fans. :D

Part of me wants them to be allowed to move up to see it happen, and part of it is enjoying his fury of being stuck in DII.

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2016, 02:11 PM

Well, not counting as a win towards bowls prolly doesn't help. All I'm getting is you guys used to be good.

SU DOG
September 13th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I think maybe folks in other parts of the country have no idea of the resources that UNA has. The people of Florence seem to be less addicted to AU and UA than in other parts of our state(unverified opinion). Maybe because of the community pride in hosting the D-2 NC for so many years, they really support the Lions. Last year UNA averaged 11,351 in attendance for 6 home games(although one was played in B'ham), and their stadium seats 14,215. I'm not saying they could challenge the Bison immediately, but I would say that competing, and competing well, in FCS would be something they would accomplish in a very short time period. If UNA goes FCS, they will quickly be a force to reckon with in whatever conference they are in.

ASU33
September 13th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I think maybe folks in other parts of the country have no idea of the resources that UNA has. The people of Florence seem to be less addicted to AU and UA than in other parts of our state(unverified opinion). Maybe because of the community pride in hosting the D-2 NC for so many years, they really support the Lions. Last year UNA averaged 11,351 in attendance for 6 home games(although one was played in B'ham), and their stadium seats 14,215. I'm not saying they could challenge the Bison immediately, but I would say that competing, and competing well, in FCS would be something they would accomplish in a very short time period. If UNA goes FCS, they will quickly be a force to reckon with in whatever conference they are in.

The game in Birmingham was a Miles College home game, not UNA's.

ASU33
September 13th, 2016, 03:36 PM
So what was the big announcement? xeyebrowx

walliver
September 13th, 2016, 03:53 PM

The big announcement is that nothing has changed. Any team in the A-Sun can play Big South football as long as they are physically located in the South (which probably means everything south of Canada).

Also, the University of North Alabama has the world's awesomest football team, and Nick Sabin is scared of them.

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2016, 04:01 PM
The big announcement is that nothing has changed. Any team in the A-Sun can play Big South football as long as they are physically located in the South (which probably means everything south of Canada).

Also, the University of North Alabama has the world's awesomest football team, and Nick Sabin is scared of them.

Why wouldn't he be? They beat ULL or ULM or something 20-30 years ago.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2016, 04:47 PM

Also southern speed

SU DOG
September 13th, 2016, 04:56 PM
The game in Birmingham was a Miles College home game, not UNA's.

The game was played at Legion Field, but Miles' site lists it as a neutral site loss, while the UNA site lists it as part of the 6-1 home record. I don't think it matters much because probably 90% of those in attendance were UNA folks. Miles average attendance was 2,016. So take away say 2500 from the UNA attendance, and you have them still averaging right at 11,000. I don't understand the total disrespect for UNA on here. Now, they are NOT my team, so it doesn't bother me, but I do happen to know they have pride, resources, and great support.

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2016, 05:06 PM
The game was played at Legion Field, but Miles' site lists it as a neutral site loss, while the UNA site lists it as part of the 6-1 home record. I don't think it matters much because probably 90% of those in attendance were UNA folks. Miles average attendance was 2,016. So take away say 2500 from the UNA attendance, and you have them still averaging right at 11,000. I don't understand the total disrespect for UNA on here. Now, they are NOT my team, so it doesn't bother me, but I do happen to know they have pride, resources, and great support.

That's wonderful and all, but when he just jumped on here and immediately starts talking about how UNA would run the south in FCS football basically, that's the reception you get. Dude sounds like a hillbilly lakesbison.

ASU33
September 13th, 2016, 05:12 PM

Miles is usually in the top 10 in D2 attendance. The Labor Day Classic is a Miles Classic, UNA just so happened to be the opponent that year. According to UNA's and The NCAAs website I have UNA with (5. North Ala. 7-games/ 55,789 -total, 7,970 avg.) which is a ways off from 11k which would put the #2 in D2. UNA is a darn good program and would do very well at the FCS level, but UNA folks will tell you that they didn't make up 90% of the crowd in Birmingham.

SU DOG
September 13th, 2016, 05:35 PM
That's wonderful and all, but when he just jumped on here and immediately starts talking about how UNA would run the south in FCS football basically, that's the reception you get. Dude sounds like a hillbilly lakesbison.

Yes, I see your point in that Thumper.

SU DOG
September 13th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Miles is usually in the top 10 in D2 attendance. The Labor Day Classic is a Miles Classic, UNA just so happened to be the opponent that year. According to UNA's and The NCAAs website I have UNA with (5. North Ala. 7-games/ 55,789 -total, 7,970 avg.) which is a ways off from 11k which would put the #2 in D2. UNA is a darn good program and would do very well at the FCS level, but UNA folks will tell you that they didn't make up 90% of the crowd in Birmingham.

Thanks for clearing up the Miles Game @ Legion Field issue, as I didn't know that was the Labor Day Classic. The other games, however, were 2361, 1326, 1167, 4117, and 1107, and those are the figures straight off the Miles site. Also, the number of 7,.970 you quoted for UNA is correct, but included 2 Post Season Games, and I was counting only regular season tilts. As is often the case, and unfortunately, playoff games are sometimes a harder sale. The regular season number is 9,255.

We both agree that UNA is a very good program, and since we are both in Alabama, we see reasons that allow us to predict they would do well in the FCS.

ASU33
September 13th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks for clearing up the Miles Game @ Legion Field issue, as I didn't know that was the Labor Day Classic. The other games, however, were 2361, 1326, 1167, 4117, and 1107, and those are the figures straight off the Miles site. Also, the number of 7,.970 you quoted for UNA is correct, but included 2 Post Season Games, and I was counting only regular season tilts. As is often the case, and unfortunately, playoff games are sometimes a harder sale. The regular season number is 9,255.

We both agree that UNA is a very good program, and since we are both in Alabama, we see reasons that allow us to predict they would do well in the FCS.

Miles had no SID last season and there was a big controversy on the numbers reported for their home games. Miles is usually in that 8,000-10,500 average for their home games which has been the case for years. I attended their homecoming last season which had every bit of 20,000+ there. Miles has a fan base that is as big as a lot of FCS teams. Our Labor Day Classic games against them from 2000-2004 all drew 40,000+ with the 2003 game drawing over 50,000. We now play them for The Turkey Day Classic which has been a good pick up for us.

I think UNA would be a pretty good fit for the OVC. I'm shocked that they haven't been invited yet.

kperk014
September 23rd, 2016, 05:23 PM

And once again the boy has trouble with the truth. I never said we would run anything but we would be a factor very quickly. Sure I'm ticked at the schools who voted against UNA in the OVC because they don't want to move down the chain in football. I know Jax State wanted us in but probably not some of the schools up north. I don't think the Socon schools want us for the same reason but most of them are private schools so I don't really blame them. I'm not sure where your hate comes from. We never had a chance to play South Dakota. I think it would be a great game for both some day.

kperk014
September 23rd, 2016, 05:27 PM
Why wouldn't he be? They beat ULL or ULM or something 20-30 years ago.

And then no one else would play us, mam. Are you guys stupid or just like acting that way? :D

kperk014
September 23rd, 2016, 05:29 PM

north carolina. Now there's a great state for football! :p

kperk014
September 23rd, 2016, 05:48 PM
Well, not counting as a win towards bowls prolly doesn't help. All I'm getting is you guys used to be good.

We still are, dude. Just curious, can you show me SDU's D2 resume compared to UNA's and tell me why we aren't as qualified? Three football National Championships. Two basketball National Championships. One volleyball National Championship and one softball National Championship. I'm sure you can top this:

North Alabama has played 95 games against nationally ranked opponents since 1992 . The Lions are 56-38-1 in the 95 previous meetings wth ranked opponents over the last 24 seasons. UNA won 18 straight games against nationally ranked teams at home from 1992-99, dating back to a 14-12 loss to third ranked Jacksonville State in the 1992 playoffs, prior to a 28-21 loss to Pittsburg State in 1999. UNA has played 50 of those 95 games against teams ranked in the Top 10. The Lions are 29-21 in those previous 50 games.

Lions in NCAA Polls in the 2000s North Alabama got its first national ranking of the decade on Sept. 23, 2003.
2003 Sept. 23 ..................................No. 22
Sept. 30 ..................................No. 13
Oct. 7...................................... No. 11
Oct. 14......................................No. 7
Oct. 21......................................No. 4
Oct. 28......................................No. 3
Nov. 4 .......................................No. 2
Nov. 11......................................No. 2
Nov. 18 .....................................No. 2
Dec. 15 .....................................No. 5
2004 Preseason ................................No. 8
Aug. 31 .....................................No. 7
Sept. 7 ......................................No. 6
Sept. 14 ....................................No. 6
Sept. 21 .................................No. 14.
Oct. 5......................................No. 24
Oct. 12....................................No. 22
Oct. 19....................................No. 23
2005 Sept. 20 ..................................No. 18
Sept. 27 ..................................No. 14
Oct. 4......................................No. 22
Oct. 11 ....................................No. 17
Oct. 18....................................No. 14
Oct. 25....................................No. 18
Nov. 1 .....................................No. 15
Nov. 8 .....................................No. 13
Dec. 13 .....................................No. 4
2006 Aug. 22 .....................................No. 3
Aug. 29 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 5 ......................................No. 3
Sept. 12 ....................................No. 3
Sept. 19 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 26 .....................................No. 3
Oct. 3.........................................No. 3
Oct. 10.......................................No. 3
Oct. 17.......................................No. 3
Oct. 24.......................................No. 3
Oct. 31.......................................No. 3
Nov. 7 ........................................No. 3
Nov. 14 ......................................No. 3
Dec. 19 ......................................No. 6
2007 Aug. 21 ......................................No. 4
Aug. 28 ......................................No. 4
Sept. 4 .......................................No. 4
Sept. 11 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 18 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 25 .....................................No. 3
Oct. 2.........................................No. 3
Oct. 9.........................................No. 3
Oct. 16.......................................No. 2
Oct. 23.......................................No. 2
Oct. 30..................................... No. 11
Nov. 6 ......................................No. 10
Nov. 13 ....................................No. 10
Final...........................................No . 6
2008 Aug. 19 ......................................No. 4
Sept. 2 .......................................No. 3
Sept. 9 .......................................No. 3
Sept. 16 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 23 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 30 .....................................No. 3
Oct. 7.........................................No. 2
Oct. 14.......................................No. 2
Oct. 21.......................................No. 8
Oct. 28.......................................No. 6
Nov. 4 ........................................No. 5
Nov. 11.......................................No. 5
Final...........................................No . 3
2009 Preseason .................................No. 6
Aug. 31 ......................................No. 4
Sept. 7 .......................................No. 3
Sept. 14 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 21 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 28 .....................................No. 3
Oct. 5.........................................No. 3
Oct. 12.......................................No. 2
Oct. 19.......................................No. 1
Oct. 26.......................................No. 1
Nov. 2 ........................................No. 1
Nov. 9 ........................................No. 5
Dec. 14 ......................................No. 6
2010 Preseason .................................No. 3
Aug. 30 ......................................No. 4
Sept. 6 .......................................No. 3
Sept. 13 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 20 .....................................No. 3
Sept. 27 .....................................No. 3
Oct. 4.........................................No. 3
Oct. 11 .......................................No. 3
Oct. 18.....................................No. 10
Oct. 25.....................................No. 21
Nov. 1 ......................................No. 18
Nov. 8 ......................................No. 15
Nov. 15 ............................... unranked
Dec. 20 ....................................No. 22
2011 Preseason .................................No. 6
Sept. 5 .......................................No. 5
Sept. 12 .....................................No. 4
Sept. 19 .....................................No. 2
Sept. 26 .....................................No. 2
Oct. 3.........................................No. 1
Oct. 10.......................................No. 1
Oct. 17.......................................No. 5
Oct. 24.......................................No. 5
Oct. 31.....................................No. 17
Nov. 7 ......................................No. 13
Nov. 14 ....................................No. 12
Final.........................................No. 14
2013 Sept. 9 .....................................No. 22
Sept. 16 ...................................No. 24
Nov. 4 ......................................No. 24
Nov. 11.....................................No. 20
Nov. 18 ....................................No. 16
Final.........................................No. 10
2014 Preseason .................................No. 5
Sept. 8 .......................................No. 5
Sept. 15 .....................................No. 5
Sept. 22 .....................................No. 5
Sept. 29 .....................................No. 5
Oct. 6.........................................No. 5
Oct. 13.......................................No. 4
Oct. 20.......................................No. 3
Oct. 27.......................................No. 3
Nov. 3 ......................................No. 15
Nov. 10 ....................................No. 15
Nov. 17 ....................................No. 12
Final.........................................No. 16
2015 Preseason ...............................No. 15
Sept. 7 .....................................No. 13
Sept. 14 ...................................No. 10
Sept. 21 .....................................No. 8
Sept. 28 .....................................No. 8
Oct. 5.........................................No. 6
Oct. 12.....................................No. 17
Oct. 19.....................................No. 13
Oct. 26.....................................No. 21
Nov. 2 ......................................No. 19
Nov. 9 ......................................No. 15
Nov. 16 ....................................No. 14
Final.........................................No. 15

I'll be waiting.... xcoffeex

Mr.Loco
September 23rd, 2016, 07:53 PM
I am surprise they did not pull Delaware State University

Rjones61
September 23rd, 2016, 09:17 PM
They are joining the Big Sky in having a conference app.

BisonFan02
September 23rd, 2016, 09:20 PM
I'll tell ya what.....it's probably not a stadium.

Thumper 76
September 23rd, 2016, 10:22 PM
And then no one else would play us, mam. Are you guys stupid or just like acting that way? :D

Because you don't count as a win for FBS teams.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2016, 12:15 AM
Because you don't count as a win for FBS teams.

Do you think he is stupid or just acting that way? ;)

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2016, 12:37 AM

Yes

kperk014
September 24th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Yes

WOW! I did not know that we wouldn't count as an FBS win. :D What, do you think I'm from south dakota??? You two bird-brains are too dumb to realize they called us. AFTER the game they realized that wasn't a smart thing to do. NDSU may be beating FBS now but we beat them from the D2 level before it was cool. If you two are indicative of football people in south dakota, no wonder yall suck while you duck. xsmiley_wix

Still waiting for your "earth shaking" resume. xcoffeex

kperk014
September 24th, 2016, 12:47 PM

The state of Alabama has 27 football National Championships. How many does iowaste have?

I don't like to have to brag (well maybe a little) but you give me little choice. UNA is the only non-FBS football program ever invited to the White House. Yet so many still say we don't belong in D1. xcrazyx

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z417/kperk014/UNA_zpsdk3n0bg2.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/kperk014/media/UNA_zpsdk3n0bg2.jpg.html)
North Alabama has played 95 games against nationally ranked opponents since 1992 . The Lions are 56-38-1 in the 95 previous meetings wth ranked opponents over the last 24 seasons. UNA won 18 straight games against nationally ranked teams at home from 1992-99, dating back to a 14-12 loss to third ranked Jacksonville State in the 1992 playoffs, prior to a 28-21 loss to Pittsburg State in 1999. UNA has played 50 of those 95 games against teams ranked in the Top 10. The Lions are 29-21 in those previous 50 games.

Lions in NCAA Polls in the 2000s North Alabama got its first national ranking of the decade on Sept. 23, 2003.

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2016, 01:29 PM
WOW! I did not know that we wouldn't count as an FBS win. :D What, do you think I'm from south dakota??? You two bird-brains are too dumb to realize they called us. AFTER the game they realized that wasn't a smart thing to do. NDSU may be beating FBS now but we beat them from the D2 level before it was cool. If you two are indicative of football people in south dakota, no wonder yall suck while you duck. xsmiley_wix

Still waiting for your "earth shaking" resume. xcoffeex

Lol oh yeah we're real struggle city here in Brookings. I don't have to boast the facts for our team because they speak for themselves. If you've read on here at all the last couple years you already know. If you don't know what team in talking about you're retarded, and I don't like beating up on retards. It's fun at first, but eventually, you're just making fun of a retard.

And honestly, idgaf about our DII stats, cause we aren't DII anymore. Enjoy purgatory.

I now dub you Herpes, cause you pop up once a month and it's always irritating, but a guy can live with it and minimize the irritation with the proper medication.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2016, 01:49 PM
The state of Alabama has 27 football National Championships. How many does iowaste have?

I don't like to have to brag (well maybe a little) but you give me little choice. UNA is the only non-FBS football program ever invited to the White House. Yet so many still say we don't belong in D1. xcrazyx

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z417/kperk014/UNA_zpsdk3n0bg2.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/kperk014/media/UNA_zpsdk3n0bg2.jpg.html)

You guys must be great if you need to talk about the whole state instead of just UNA. xrolleyesx

kperk014
September 24th, 2016, 03:15 PM
You guys must be great if you need to talk about the whole state instead of just UNA. xrolleyesx

Well, dopey, that's UNA in the picture at the White House. How many times has a football team form the corn state been to the White House.... invited?

kperk014
September 24th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Lol oh yeah we're real struggle city here in Brookings. I don't have to boast the facts for our team because they speak for themselves. If you've read on here at all the last couple years you already know. If you don't know what team in talking about you're retarded, and I don't like beating up on retards. It's fun at first, but eventually, you're just making fun of a retard.

And honestly, idgaf about our DII stats, cause we aren't DII anymore. Enjoy purgatory.

I now dub you Herpes, cause you pop up once a month and it's always irritating, but a guy can live with it and minimize the irritation with the proper medication.

Well mam, that old puss of yours must really be stinking. Just keep changing the subject of just how worthless and undistinguished your football program has been and will continue to be.

kperk014
September 24th, 2016, 03:31 PM

I want to issue a heart-felt apology to the lady from south dakota. "I don't have to boast the facts for our team because they speak for themselves." I was completely unaware of your school's long list of accomplishments on the gridiron. I see in 64 years you have 3 wins and 6 losses in the post season. Geez if I had known what a powderhouse (spelling intentional) I would have never gotten into this little contest. After all, is there anyone on earth that can compete with 3 and 6???? I bow to your mighty jackasses and ask for forgiveness.

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2016, 03:40 PM
I want to issue a heart-felt apology to the lady from south dakota. I was completely unaware of your school's long list of accomplishments on the gridiron. I see in 64 years you have 3 wins and 6 losses in the post season. Geez if I had known what a powderhouse (spelling intentional) I would have never gotten into this little contest. After all, is there anyone on earth than can compete with 3 and 6???? I bow to your mighty jackasses and ask for forgiveness.

Nut up or shut up. If you think you can play, then petition for it and fight for a spot in the SoCon or OVC. It is that simple. Do you rely on that "Southern Speed" to win games? You have won 3 championships in a row which is great but that was from 93-95 and have yet to make it back. That was 20 years ago and what have you done since?

kperk014
September 24th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Also southern speed

Check out the fastest players on northern teams and see where they come from. ;)

kperk014
September 24th, 2016, 03:45 PM
http://www.troll.me/images/trololo/i-heard-you-lost.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiBmvzVgI3PAhUk2oMKHZW1BV0QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.keyword-suggestions.com%2FeW91IGxvc3QgbWVtZQ%2F&bvm=bv.132479545,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNFkbM0roTI7tPky40LpLlFxdWcxHQ&ust=1473878806636600)

No one said we did, darlin'. You need to stay away from crank and crack.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Enough of the D2 bull****.

kperk014
September 24th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Nut up or shut up. If you think you can play, then petition for it and fight for a spot in the SoCon or OVC. It is that simple. Do you rely on that "Southern Speed" to win games? You have won 3 championships in a row which is great but that was from 93-95 and have yet to make it back. That was 20 years ago and what have you done since?

Well, since we reached all the mountain tops you can reach in D2, we've become complacent and bored which is not good. We should have moved up three years after Jax State did but too many people didn't want to give up the National Championship game which we kept for 28 looonng years. During that time more and more folks became disinterested playing at that level. The program continued to be highly successful despite the lack of support. Just check the posted record. Practically every school we used to play ( and beat many times) has since moved up. The news between the Big South and A-Sun may be the door for us to get back with the schools we were apart of. The game against NDSU was our first trip to the big game. We made up for it later. If we had moved up when we should have, it would have saved us well over a million dollars in move up fees but we didn't so now's the time.

By the way, that Southern speed? Do you know where a lot of it is going? Why do you think Ohio State and Michigan suddenly have speed. Almost all of the fastest players north of the Mason Dixon line are from South of that line. By the trickle down effect, that has hurt smaller schools in the South. They don't get the type of players we used to get due migration to northern schools where they can be stars. I remember some dude citing how badly Nebraska's Tommy Frazier ran all over Florida in the Championship Game back in the 90's. He didn't stop to think Tommy was from Florida as well. Jim Hardball even had camps in Alabama and Florida. Any ideas why?
http://usatodayhss.com/2015/which-state-city-and-high-school-has-the-most-current-nfl-players

This is since 1992 which (unless you folks keep time differently) includes all the way to the present:

Lions in NCAA Polls in the 2000s North Alabama got its first national ranking of the decade on Sept. 23, 2003 after going through a rebuilding period.

BisonFan02
September 24th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Hooray for directional alabama.....yay.......Yay.

Now be gone. xlolx