PDA

View Full Version : MVFC vs. Big Sky extravaganza: any takeaways?

veinup
September 11th, 2016, 09:25 AM
so the dust has settled on this big sky vs. mvfc weekend. the results, as you probably already know:

South Dakota 52 Weber State 49
North Dakota State 50 Eastern Washington 44 (OT)
Western Illinois 34 Northern Arizona 20
Montana 20 UNI 14

if UM had lost (which they nearly did) we could be looking at a full 4-0 MVFC sweep. however, it seems like all of the games except one were pretty darn close. despite winning only one of the four games i thought the big fluffy made a pretty good showing. personally, i love the scheduling, it was great to see a few bigtime OOC games between teams from some of the better FCS conferences. i was just wondering if this weekend moved anybody's opinion on either one of the conferences, or the conferences in relation to eachother. just trying to start some conversation here. thoughts?

i should say here that i do think conference vs. conference talk is a little silly. for example, while on one hand i would've liked to see EWU beat NDSU in the dome, i'm just as happy or happier) that they lost in a close game because at the end of the day my team is competing with them for a conference title (ideally). this conference vs. conference stuff matters more to some people than others. what are your takeaways if any?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Teams have stepped up their 'game'.

I didn't watch the other games but EWU's passing game is the real deal.

kalm
September 11th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Narrow road losses bode well for the BSC (thanks for letting us down Weber...you dicks)

WIU dominated NAU in the 2nd half. I'm concerned about the Jacks ability to score and their defense doesn't seem to have improved.

It sounds like UNI shot themselves in the foot. Montana didn't have much offense but scored on a kick return and forced two turnovers.

Eastern is still looking for a defense.

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Some very good teams in both conferences along with teams that aren't afraid to play some tough early season games. I'd expect these tough early season matchups to only help the teams who played them down the road. For my team, they found a hell of a lot more to work on than if they played had Robert Morris that's for sure.

SUUTbird
September 11th, 2016, 09:57 AM
There is another round of MVFC vs Big Sky this week as well:

EWU vs. UNI
Cal Poly vs. SDSU
South Dakota vs. North Dakota

I especially feel bad for both EWU and UNI, getting another really tough opponent right after playing one, very happy that the Big Sky is actually proving this year they can compete with the MVFC, definitely not the Big Fluffy this season!

The Kicker
September 11th, 2016, 10:00 AM
These games will play an important roll for the selection comity. From seeding to what teams get in and who is left out. The MVFC and Big Sky will both have a handful of teams getting in and will both have bubble teams looking for those last playoff spots.

MVFC looks deep again with a lot of quality teams. Big Sky because there are so many in the conference these games are big because they have a lot of good teams but not a lot of sure bets. I think the Big Sky will shake out where there will be two-three nine or more win teams and a pack of teams at that 7 win mark. This is where these OOC games will play a big roll.

penguinpower
September 11th, 2016, 10:25 AM
And our AD schedules Bobby Morris who had 75 yards of offense last week. Kent State and Akron are right down the road and scheduling FCS teams. SMH. They want to have that home game so badly they do it at the expense of the fan base.

Redbird007
September 11th, 2016, 11:21 AM
These games will play an important roll for the selection comity. From seeding to what teams get in and who is left out. The MVFC and Big Sky will both have a handful of teams getting in and will both have bubble teams looking for those last playoff spots.

MVFC looks deep again with a lot of quality teams. Big Sky because there are so many in the conference these games are big because they have a lot of good teams but not a lot of sure bets. I think the Big Sky will shake out where there will be two-three nine or more win teams and a pack of teams at that 7 win mark. This is where these OOC games will play a big roll.

Agree Kicker that these inter conference games are critical as respects to getting as many conference teams as possible into the playoffs.

taper
September 11th, 2016, 11:41 AM
There is another round of MVFC vs Big Sky this week as well:

EWU vs. UNI
Cal Poly vs. SDSU
South Dakota vs. North Dakota

I especially feel bad for both EWU and UNI, getting another really tough opponent right after playing one, very happy that the Big Sky is actually proving this year they can compete with the MVFC, definitely not the Big Fluffy this season!

I'm not ready to say that yet. Sure, Montana and EWU are solid as usual but the rest haven't done anything special. Definitely still haven't found a defense league wide.

F'N Hawks
September 11th, 2016, 11:42 AM
I'm not ready to say that yet. Sure, Montana and EWU are solid as usual but the rest haven't done anything special. Definitely still haven't found a defense league wide.

So the scores yesterday only showed you that the Big Sky doesn't have any defense?

taper
September 11th, 2016, 12:01 PM
So the scores yesterday only showed you that the Big Sky doesn't have any defense?

Average 36.9 points allowed, 37.5 allowed to full scholarship FCS opponents. Compared to 30.8 and 29.5 for the MVFC. Even that number's inflated since our cellar USD gifted 21 points to Weber in the 1st quarter.

F'N Hawks
September 11th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Average 36.9 points allowed, 37.5 allowed to full scholarship FCS opponents. Compared to 30.8 and 29.5 for the MVFC. Even that number's inflated since our cellar USD gifted 21 points to Weber in the 1st quarter.

You're right, they played great D yesterday and the Big Sky was absolutely awful.

JALMOND
September 11th, 2016, 12:27 PM
so the dust has settled on this big sky vs. mvfc weekend. the results, as you probably already know:

South Dakota 52 Weber State 49
North Dakota State 50 Eastern Washington 44 (OT)
Western Illinois 34 Northern Arizona 20
Montana 20 UNI 14

if UM had lost (which they nearly did) we could be looking at a full 4-0 MVFC sweep. however, it seems like all of the games except one were pretty darn close. despite winning only one of the four games i thought the big fluffy made a pretty good showing. personally, i love the scheduling, it was great to see a few bigtime OOC games between teams from some of the better FCS conferences. i was just wondering if this weekend moved anybody's opinion on either one of the conferences, or the conferences in relation to eachother. just trying to start some conversation here. thoughts?

i should say here that i do think conference vs. conference talk is a little silly. for example, while on one hand i would've liked to see EWU beat NDSU in the dome, i'm just as happy or happier) that they lost in a close game because at the end of the day my team is competing with them for a conference title (ideally). this conference vs. conference stuff matters more to some people than others. what are your takeaways if any?

Considering the Big Sky did all the traveling, getting one win and 2 OT losses out of four games, I'd say the conference did pretty well.

veinup
September 11th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Considering the Big Sky did all the traveling, getting one win and 2 OT losses out of four games, I'd say the conference did pretty well.

good point.

semobison
September 11th, 2016, 12:47 PM

USD spotted Weber 21 points. They led 21-0 and their offense had only run one offensive play. From that point on they were handily outplayed by the Yotes!

nodak651
September 11th, 2016, 12:52 PM
USD spotted Weber 21 points. They led 21-0 and their offense had only run one offensive play. From that point on they were handily outplayed by the Yotes!

Of course Weber defense gets no credit for forcing turnovers though.

semobison
September 11th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Of course Weber defense gets no credit for forcing turnovers though.

Sure they got credit, 21 points. The pick 6 was a middle screen, should have never been thrown, then two fumbles. USD had three Turnovers in their first 6 plays. Webers defense couldn't hold a three TD lead!

FCSwatcher
September 11th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Not much to brag about when you give up 556 yards, 44 points, 27 first downs.

But let's call someone else the Big Fluffy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uni88
September 11th, 2016, 01:29 PM
IMO Montana's defense looked pretty darn good.

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2016, 01:40 PM
I thought that, overall, Northern Arizona's offense did really well. Anyone that doesn't get a ton of pressure on Cookus is going to have a really bad day. That was the one thing we were able to do to shut them down in the second half. Pressure on the QB, couple of sacks, and stopping the run game. They're a very talented team overall.

Another thing to consider is that three of our offensive players had "career" or "near-career" days. That wasn't so much due to NAU's defense, which seemed pretty decent...not like NDSU, but solid enough...but everything was just going right for us on the offensive side of the ball. The way that McGuire, Lenoir, Lesure (he's the sophomore version of Lenior), and McShane were playing yesterday, very few teams could have stopped them. Lenoir was just catching everything within 10 feet of him, Lesure looks like he should be playing basketball with his ability to get up to catch the ball or hurdle defenders, and McShane...well...it's still very early in the season obviously, but through two games, he's currently leading the FCS in rushing yards (by 80 yards) and is 3rd overall in DI (and only 17 yards behind #1) although he'll probably lose a bit of ground this next weekend since it's our "bye" week.

I have a lot of respect for NAU and they did a very good job considering everything, but everything was just going Western's way yesterday.

Overall across the slate of MVFC/BSC games yesterday, the Big Sky did a great job...overtime in the Fargodome, beating UNI in their dome, forcing USD to battle back and take 2 overtimes to win at home. It sure looks like this year, they may have closed the gap with the MVFC a bit.

JayJ79
September 11th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Since the Big Sky has so many teams (and so many teams don't play each other), they can absorb more non-conference losses and still get quite a few teams with W-L records that they could claim as meriting playoff contention.

In the MVFC, where each team has to play every other team except one, getting non-conference wins becomes more important if more teams want to get into the playoff discussion.

POD Knows
September 11th, 2016, 02:00 PM

Agree 100%

Grizalltheway
September 11th, 2016, 02:31 PM

And that was without two of their best players in the secondary, Yamen Sanders and JR Nelson. The offense has a lot of work to do, but if they come around, this will be a very complete team.

srgrizizen
September 11th, 2016, 03:53 PM

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx Way to go NDSU, you finally outscored them. Offense wins games! xnodx

uofmman1122
September 11th, 2016, 04:00 PM
And that was without two of their best players in the secondary, Yamen Sanders and JR Nelson. The offense has a lot of work to do, but if they come around, this will be a very complete team.

To be fair, Justin Strong has made a pretty strong case to be out there a lot, even when Yamen Sanders comes back. We have an embarrassment of riches in the secondary this year.

Yote 53
September 11th, 2016, 05:17 PM
USD V Weber State game would not have been close had we not spotted them 21 points. Just watching the game and not looking at the scoreboard it was clear who the better team was.

In the end it worked out as the better team came back and found a way to win but it should not have been that close. Every team in the Valley would have taken those 21 points and buried us with them. Hopefully we got those mistakes out of our system now.

SeattleGriz
September 11th, 2016, 05:45 PM

Oh my that's a lot.

SeattleGriz
September 11th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Me too! So glad to be rid of the old D Coordinator. Enjoy MSU.

kalm
September 11th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Oh my that's a lot.

Especially considering a sophomore QB in his second start and no Kupp for a good chunk of the game.

Silenoz
September 11th, 2016, 05:52 PM
To be fair, Justin Strong has made a pretty strong case to be out there a lot, even when Yamen Sanders comes back. We have an embarrassment of riches in the secondary this year.

Maybe Sam Houston was on to something...

centennial
September 11th, 2016, 06:12 PM
The top of the Big Sky is about as good as the top of the MVFC. However, I only see 2 great teams- Montana and EWU. For MVFC we have NDSU that is down, but the rest of the pack is doing well. SDSU, UNI, WIU, Illinois State all look solid. They are followed by YSU, USD. The "bad" MVFC teams would still be serious contenders in other conferences.

geaux_sioux
September 11th, 2016, 06:22 PM
The top of the Big Sky is about as good as the top of the MVFC. However, I only see 2 great teams- Montana and EWU. For MVFC we have NDSU that is down, but the rest of the pack is doing well. SDSU, UNI, WIU, Illinois State all look solid. They are followed by YSU, USD. The "bad" MVFC teams would still be serious contenders in other conferences.
Like the pioneer and the OVC?

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2016, 06:54 PM

Like the Sun Belt.

semobison
September 11th, 2016, 08:59 PM
When you look at the rushing stats for this past weekend match ups it shows the philosophical differences between the MVFC and the Big Sky.
NDSU 280, EWU 106.
USD 310, Weber 160
WIU 203, NAU 125
UNI 157, UM 88
Valley teams seem to commit to the run while some Big Sky teams just run enough to keep defenses honest. I will say that Montana holding UNI to 157 is impressive!

centennial
September 11th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Like the Sun Belt.

Also the MAC.

semobison
September 11th, 2016, 09:12 PM

You have a short memory! In 2014 Missouri State was 1-7 in conference play but beat UND 38-0!

Hammerhead
September 11th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Not sure NDSU is "down" this year since they are off to a better start than last year when they dropped the opener at Montana. :)

SUUTbird
September 11th, 2016, 10:04 PM
USD V Weber State game would not have been close had we not spotted them 21 points. Just watching the game and not looking at the scoreboard it was clear who the better team was.

So let's not give Weber State's defense credit for forcing three turnovers in the first 6 minutes to give them that 21-point lead? That makes a lot of sense...

frozennorth
September 11th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Is Montana still the only team to beat a valley team in the last 3 years? USD, NDSU, SDSU, and now UNI? 0-20 for the rest. I think EWU wins next week, and maybe UND.

semobison
September 11th, 2016, 10:11 PM
So let's not give Weber State's defense credit for forcing three turnovers in the first 6 minutes to give them that 21-point lead? That makes a lot of sense...

Did you watch the game. The int was a middle screen that should never have been thrown, then two fumbles. Weber led 21-0 and they only ran one offensive play. The Yotes ran for over 300 yards after that!

SUUTbird
September 11th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Did you watch the game. The int was a middle screen that should never have been thrown, then two fumbles. Weber led 21-0 and they only ran one offensive play. The Yotes ran for over 300 yards after that!

I actually did watch the game and guess what mistakes and turnovers are part of the game, he still threw the ball and Weber State capitalized off of it. And you're right they only ran one offensive play in the first 6 minutes and guess what it was for a touchdown. and after that they still racked up a decent number of points and yardage against the Coyotes defense.

Thumper 76
September 11th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Almost like people are forgetting there's three more match ups that will show the depth of the conferences better this week.

semobison
September 11th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I actually did watch the game and guess what mistakes and turnovers are part of the game, he still threw the ball and Weber State capitalized off of it. And you're right they only ran one offensive play in the first 6 minutes and guess what it was for a touchdown. and after that they still racked up a decent number of points and yardage against the Coyotes defense.

What they did was lose a 21 point lead to a better team!

Silenoz
September 11th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Is Montana still the only team to beat a valley team in the last 3 years? USD, NDSU, SDSU, and now UNI? 0-20 for the rest. I think EWU wins next week, and maybe UND.

Don't worry. We'll pace that with some losses to Cal Poly and/or Southern Utah or something. We're good at that.

SUUTbird
September 11th, 2016, 11:10 PM
What they did was lose a 21 point lead to a better team!

In double overtime in their house, not denying WSU blew a big lead but it was still a close game.

veinup
September 11th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Don't worry. We'll pace that with some losses to Cal Poly and/or Southern Utah or something. We're good at that.

xdrunkyx

Houndawg
September 12th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Narrow road losses bode well for the BSC (thanks for letting us down Weber...you dicks)

WIU dominated NAU in the 2nd half. I'm concerned about the Jacks ability to score and their defense doesn't seem to have improved.

It sounds like UNI shot themselves in the foot. Montana didn't have much offense but scored on a kick return and forced two turnovers.

Eastern is still looking for a defense.

To be fair, they were​ in danger of winning a big game...

Houndawg
September 12th, 2016, 07:47 AM

They showed the MVC doesn't have a lot of defense either...

Thumper 76
September 12th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Well considering that Webers defense scored 21 of their points the only team that looked like their D wasn't awesome was NDSU.

BISON Thunder
September 12th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Especially considering a sophomore QB in his second start and no Kupp for a good chunk of the game.
Any update on Kupp's injury? Hoping it is nothing serious.

geaux_sioux
September 12th, 2016, 08:15 AM
You have a short memory! In 2014 Missouri State was 1-7 in conference play but beat UND 38-0!
As short as yours apparently. That was Bubba's first year trying to put out the Mussman dumpster fire.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 08:17 AM
As short as yours apparently. That was Bubba's first year trying to put out the Mussman dumpster fire.
Drake having a shot to win in the final minute, in Grand Forks, last season

geaux_sioux
September 12th, 2016, 08:20 AM

And still losing. UND played terrible and found a way to win against an inferior opponent. It was a W in the win column. If you're going to point out something from last season as a blemish I would go with the at home blown lead against Idaho St.

F'N Hawks
September 12th, 2016, 08:32 AM

Move on. Or find some stats for us again, write 1000 words, and try to convince everyone.

UNIFanSince1983
September 12th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I tell you UND better beat USD this week otherwise that cake Big Sky schedule they got goes straight down the drains before it even started.

AmsterBison
September 12th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Well considering that Webers defense scored 21 of their points the only team that looked like their D wasn't awesome was NDSU.

I don't think that we saw NDSU's defense on Saturday and never want to see a game plan revolving around a 3-man rush again. Cripes, EWU's OL was ripe for an butt kicking and NDSU let them off the hook. Oh well, at least NDSU will get to play Bison defense against Iowa.

On a more positive note, I really liked EWU's new QB and WRs.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 08:54 AM
And still losing. UND played terrible and found a way to win against an inferior opponent. It was a W in the win column. If you're going to point out something from last season as a blemish I would go with the at home blown lead against Idaho St.
Ah yes...the sole D1 win for Idaho State last season.

F'N Hawks
September 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I tell you UND better beat USD this week otherwise that cake Big Sky schedule they got goes straight down the drains before it even started.

No doubt, there. Needed to be 1-1 and are now 0-2.

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2016, 08:56 AM

Well, we held last year's #7 scoring offense at 39.3 points per game to essentially half that. They put up a good number of yards, but only scored 7 points after the first quarter.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Move on. Or find some stats for us again, write 1000 words, and try to convince everyone.
You're a pissy little thing, aren't you.

F'N Hawks
September 12th, 2016, 08:58 AM
You're a pissy little thing, aren't you.

How was it any different than your Drake comment or Idaho State comment? Were those "pissy"? Let us know the rules.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 09:03 AM
How was it any different than your Drake comment or Idaho State comment? Were those "pissy"? Let us know the rules.
Nope, mind weren't. My posts were made with reason and furthering the conversation. Most of all comments weren't nearly as defensive defensive and a, very, weak attempt at attempting "slam" another poster.

It's not my fault you don't like facts and your attention span isn't long enough to read/comprehend posts longer than 5 sentences long.

semobison
September 12th, 2016, 09:44 AM

Looks like Bubba has a few ashes still smoldering.

jacksfan29
September 12th, 2016, 09:59 AM

I'm not by any means a USD fan, but there wasn't a lot of forcing going on. USD were giving up the ball in some really strange ways.

As for the rest, EWU and Montana are both for real. Even UND had their moments. Watched none of the NAU game so no clue. I'm one who thinks the top half of the Big Fluffy may be up this year.

AmsterBison
September 12th, 2016, 10:08 AM

Not sure what further acknowledgement an 0-2 team deserves, but effing hawks seems to be fishing for something.

EWU and Montana, on the other hand, look very good.

Houndawg
September 12th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Not sure what further acknowledgement an 0-2 team deserves, but effing hawks seems to be fishing for something.

EWU and Montana, on the other hand, look very good.

Well, they are going to pound teams this season. They've been in the weight room all year.

POD Knows
September 12th, 2016, 10:25 AM

i am by no means a UND apologist but they did play a FBS team pretty tight and had a close game against s decent Stoney Brook. With their cupcake schedule, they could finish at 9-2 or 8-3 I could absolutely see that happening. Imagine this nightmare scenario, Bison loss to Iowa and drop 2 or 3 conference games and ends up going to ****ing Grand Forks for an opening round or second round playoff game. I am going to keep my "powder" dry until the Hawks drop a couple more.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 10:47 AM
i am by no means a UND apologist but they did play a FBS team pretty tight and had a close game against s decent Stoney Brook. With their cupcake schedule, they could finish at 9-2 or 8-3 I could absolutely see that happening. Imagine this nightmare scenario, Bison loss to Iowa and drop 2 or 3 conference games and ends up going to ****ing Grand Forks for an opening round or second round playoff game. I am going to keep my "powder" dry until the Hawks drop a couple more.
Should NDSU play Thanksgiving weekend it will never be outside of Fargo

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2016, 11:00 AM

Unless UND wants to lose even more money - correct. They will only host NDSU if they are seeded. Period.

It's just fact. The Alerus doesn't hold as many fans as the Fargodome.

Twentysix
September 12th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Unless UND wants to lose even more money - correct. They will only host NDSU if they are seeded. Period.

It still wouldnt happen then. Theu would both be hosts.

- - - Updated - - -

Seeded vs unseeded is the only way.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Well, they are going to pound teams this season. They've been in the weight room all year.

Uh oh, you found his weakness. :)

CappinHard
September 12th, 2016, 11:35 AM
These games will play an important roll for the selection comity.

Idk about the CAA, but for the MVFC they definitely haven't been courteous or polite at all.

POD Knows
September 12th, 2016, 01:08 PM

Never is a long time.

POD Knows
September 12th, 2016, 01:12 PM

If UND runs the table and the Bison finish 8-3 or God forbid, 7-4, those guys could get a seed and then who knows. UND would never get it in a bid situation but who knows.

Yote 53
September 12th, 2016, 01:38 PM

Oh, I don't know. That scenario probably means you are advancing and moving on to the next round. Even I still remember the stomping the Bison put on the Fhawkers last year. I don't think they want any part of NDSU for a while.

BisonTru
September 12th, 2016, 01:48 PM
If UND runs the table and the Bison finish 8-3 or God forbid, 7-4, those guys could get a seed and then who knows. UND would never get it in a bid situation but who knows.

The Hawkeys are 0-2. They HAVE to run the table if they want a seed. I'm not too concerned.

POD Knows
September 12th, 2016, 01:56 PM
The Hawkeys are 0-2. They HAVE to run the table if they want a seed. I'm not too concerned.

I agree and it is a long shot at best but I dreamt it a couple weeks back so I am throwing it out there. I am also still campaigning for most delusional poster and this might pick me up a couple votes

Thumper 76
September 12th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I agree and it is a long shot at best but I dreamt it a couple weeks back so I am throwing it out there. I am also still campaigning for most delusional poster and this might pick me up a couple votes

Oh come on you can do better than that I have a lot of $ riding in you winning that.

BisonTru
September 12th, 2016, 02:00 PM

You're going to have to up your game. You've got some stiff competition coming from some of the Hawkey posters. Plus Chattown just called out NDSU for being "cowards" for not rushing more than three people. xcrazyx

BadlandsGrizFan
September 12th, 2016, 04:40 PM

Yaaa...I would chill on this convo until the FHawks actually show any possibility that they can compete at a high level....make no mistake, if the FHawks dont bring their A game every game, even to the middle of the pack Big Sky teams..they will get rocked....they dont have the talent to not play their best and win games...

F'N Hawks
September 12th, 2016, 04:49 PM
UNI is favored by 7.5.

Is Kupp out?

SD4ever
September 12th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Oh, I don't know. That scenario probably means you are advancing and moving on to the next round. Even I still remember the stomping the Bison put on the Fhawkers last year. I don't think they want any part of NDSU for a while.

They aren't beating USD this Saturday. I am predicting 27 to 21 Yotes with the game not being as close as the scoreboard.

Go South Dakota!

Schism55
September 12th, 2016, 06:33 PM
They aren't beating USD this Saturday. I am predicting 27 to 21 Yotes with the game not being as close as the scoreboard.

Go South Dakota!
Get em Yotes!!

POD Knows
September 12th, 2016, 06:35 PM

Go South Dakota!

Give me 6 points and I will take UND at home,

tomq04
September 12th, 2016, 06:43 PM
UNI is favored by 7.5.

Is Kupp out?

He's out based on my understanding, he is marked as questionable at the moment. Seems wild to me, don't see anything that shows me UNI should be favored in Cheney.

geaux_sioux
September 12th, 2016, 06:53 PM

Go South Dakota!
It's going to come down to your defense vs our offense. I'm concerned about containing your qb when he runs but I think we'll be ok on d other than that. I'm just not sure we have any WR right now that can create separation with anything other than size. That's a huge problem because it will allow USD to load the box and not worry about over the top help. That could lose us this and many more games.

veinup
September 12th, 2016, 07:05 PM
UNI by 7.5 seems weird to me too, even with kuppster out. shrug

dudeitsaid
September 12th, 2016, 07:37 PM

I'll take it! Seems being the underdog in these games isn't working out too terribly. We were a kick away from overcoming some damaging calls and painful turnovers for the win against NDSU.

I doubt the players are paying any attention to this type of stuff. They all feel like they belong in these matchups. And I think that is clearly true. They are going to fight to protect their turf. In my mind, EWU is the favorite in this game. Especially watching UNI. Their offense isn't as solid as either of the two we've already faced, especially when it comes to the passing game.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 12th, 2016, 07:43 PM
I'll take it! Seems being the underdog in these games isn't working out too terribly. We were a kick away from overcoming some damaging calls and painful turnovers for the win against NDSU.

I doubt the players are paying any attention to this type of stuff. They all feel like they belong in these matchups. And I think that is clearly true. They are going to fight to protect their turf. In my mind, EWU is the favorite in this game. Especially watching UNI. Their offense isn't as solid as either of the two we've already faced, especially when it comes to the passing game.

Your DB's may be as good as ours but I don't think they are. If they are not, and you look at how our DB's allowed us some real leverage with the safety then you might have a tougher time with their passing game than you think.

If you can go man and make it work, then you might have that sort of success.

centennial
September 12th, 2016, 07:53 PM

The computer rankings favor MVFC teams. Vegas will usually follow those. NDSU refused to take advantage of it's front 7, and decided to play prevent defense most of the game. Farley doesn't make those kind of mistakes mentally, if they do lose to EWU it'll be UNI's offense not working. UNI is another FBS like build team, third one you will play in a row. It could be a factor.

CappinHard
September 12th, 2016, 08:32 PM

If it was at 7.5, there were some bets that came in on EWU because it's down to 4.5 now. Seems about right considering how good of a team UNI is. I know they lost at home, but that was against a very good Montana team and after a very tough game against Iowa State.

wapiti
September 19th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Bump.
There were three more MVFC vs Big Sky this past weekend.
The Big Sky won all 3 of them!!!! ND over SD, CP over SDSU, and EWU over UNI
What is happening to the MVFC?

veinup
September 19th, 2016, 09:29 AM

apparently it's in the dumpster :(

i'm kidding

Grizalltheway
September 19th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Bump.
There were three more MVFC vs Big Sky this past weekend.
The Big Sky won all 3 of them!!!! ND over SD, CP over SDSU, and EWU over UNI

Hopefully the Big Sky is getting stronger, but we'll have to wait until playoff time to know for sure. xthumbsupx

ST_Lawson
September 19th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Personally, I don't think the MVFC has lost anything, but I think that the Big Sky has started to step up.
UNI beat Iowa State, but lost to two Big Sky teams.
NDSU beat a highly-ranked Iowa, but took OT to beat a Big Sky team.

Cal Poly over SDSU really surprised me though, but USD's coach has a history of blowing big leads...so that one didn't.

Last year, it was like MVFC was #1, then you had a pretty large gap before you'd hit the other conferences. This year, the MVFC is still #1, and seems to be about on the same level as last year, but the BSC has closed a large chunk of that gap. Maybe that's just the Big Sky getting better on their own, or maybe now that the MVFC is playing the BSC a lot, the "rising tide that lifts all boats" that is NDSU in the MVFC and has helped the MVFC teams over the last few years is starting to trickle down to the BSC.

Hambone
September 19th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Out of curiosity, do you still feel this way? Not really trying to troll (although yes, it seems like I am) but 3 of your 5 solid teams lost non-conference FCS match-ups, and one of your middle teams lost to a team that most MVFC fans think is garbage (I'm thinking jealousy because of how much they work out and will smash teams from here on out).

But in all seriousness, do you still think that the "bad" MVFC teams would be contenders in other conferences now that we are another week in?

Thumper 76
September 19th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Out of curiosity, do you still feel this way? Not really trying to troll (although yes, it seems like I am) but 3 of your 5 solid teams lost non-conference FCS match-ups, and one of your middle teams lost to a team that most MVFC fans think is garbage (I'm thinking jealousy because of how much they work out and will smash teams from here on out).

But in all seriousness, do you still think that the "bad" MVFC teams would be contenders in other conferences now that we are another week in?

Usd isn't a middle MVFC team. Sorry. As to the rest, I got nuthin.

Hambone
September 19th, 2016, 10:01 AM

Based on centennials post, I took it to mean that USD and YSU were middle teams. That's why I worded how I did :)

Another thought - it seems like the MVFC teams are giving up a lot more points out of conference than before, and there's more movement towards offense. Am I wrong in noticing this trend? Obviously still a very strong conference (still likely best in FCS), but with all the high scoring games they have been a part of in the non-conference schedule I was wondering if that maybe has made a difference, since stout defense used to be the forte of the conference (and maybe still is, but really didn't show against some of the stronger OOC offenses). Not that I completely drank the MVFC kool-aid, but the non-conference season has opened my eyes a little bit.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2016, 10:21 AM
This is the most non-conf FCS games the conference has lost in a while. Obviously the gap has closed. Luckily there are 9 weeks left to see where the team's are headed.

Twentysix
September 19th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Good job BSC! You earned some victories and it will surely help come playoff time.

F'N Hawks
September 19th, 2016, 10:28 AM

Will have to wait for the end of the year to know. A lot of statements were made preseason that have already turned out to be mostly false. Namely: UND for sure will be better/playoff quality team, SDSU defense being tougher than hell, UNI running game will destroy Big Sky defenses, Cal Poly being 9-10th best team in Big Sky, Stony Brook sucks, etc.

USD will beat some teams if Streveler doesn't continue to give away 14-20 points a game.

Twentysix
September 19th, 2016, 11:56 AM
USD will beat some teams if Streveler doesn't continue to give away 14-20 points a game.

That's a big problem.

F'N Hawks
September 19th, 2016, 12:11 PM
That's a big problem.

Yes it is. He basically gives back every big play he makes himself.

semobison
September 19th, 2016, 04:00 PM
USD is 6-26 since they joined the Valley. The only game that really surprised me this past weekend was Poly running for 500 yards against the Jacks. ISUr fumbled away their game. They out gained EIU by a substantial margin.

clenz
September 19th, 2016, 04:28 PM
We learned UNI has one of the two best defenses in the nation.
-Shut down Iowa State, yeah that aren't that good but Mike Warren is still a hell of a back
-Shut down Montana to the tune of 206 yards of offense. Yes, some drops helped but I promise you no one gets close to holding Montana to that
-EWU had 403 yards of offense but it was a damn quiet 403 and had only 21 offensive points - KR for TD and fake FG for TD. Forced a benching of a QB with 1,000 yards of offense the two weeks prior
-Giving up just 2.2 ypc
-Averaging 4 sacks per game

We learned UNI has an offense that isn't great, but is good enough to move the ball and win games
-Still lacks half time adjustments needed but the offense is good enough to go with the defense
-Zero picks thrown
-Bad on third day

We learned UNI has the worst special teams in the nation.
-4-9 on field goals
-PR return for TD given up
-KR return for TD given up
-Giving up 20.75 yards per punt return
-Giving up 30.14 yards per kick return

UNI figures special teams out and it's 3-0 right now. We know that won't happen.

So what we learned was UNI is exactly who they have been for a decade plus

clenz
September 19th, 2016, 04:29 PM

USD isn't a middle of the pack MVFC team. This isn't the Big Sky. 8th place isn't "middle". It's bottom third

Red & Black
September 19th, 2016, 06:03 PM
All I know is that we just played two epic games against two very good Valley teams, and I'm happy that we were able to get a split. Hopefully we'll see more of these home and homes in the future. It's good for both conferences and takes some of the guess work out of the selection process come playoff time.

Yotes21
September 19th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Will have to wait for the end of the year to know. A lot of statements were made preseason that have already turned out to be mostly false. Namely: UND for sure will be better/playoff quality team, SDSU defense being tougher than hell, UNI running game will destroy Big Sky defenses, Cal Poly being 9-10th best team in Big Sky, Stony Brook sucks, etc.

Hey, Streveler does lead the nation in passing TD's. It's just too bad 3 of them were to the other team, lmao.

F'N Hawks
September 19th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Hey, Streveler does lead the nation in passing TD's. It's just too bad 3 of them were to the other team, lmao.

LOL. He is one hell of an athlete, though.

neverobeyed
September 20th, 2016, 08:57 AM
We learned UNI has one of the two best defenses in the nation.
-Shut down Iowa State, yeah that aren't that good but Mike Warren is still a hell of a back
-Shut down Montana to the tune of 206 yards of offense. Yes, some drops helped but I promise you no one gets close to holding Montana to that
-EWU had 403 yards of offense but it was a damn quiet 403 and had only 21 offensive points - KR for TD and fake FG for TD. Forced a benching of a QB with 1,000 yards of offense the two weeks prior
-Giving up just 2.2 ypc
-Averaging 4 sacks per game

We learned UNI has an offense that isn't great, but is good enough to move the ball and win games
-Still lacks half time adjustments needed but the offense is good enough to go with the defense
-Zero picks thrown
-Bad on third day

We learned UNI has the worst special teams in the nation.
-4-9 on field goals
-PR return for TD given up
-KR return for TD given up
-Giving up 20.75 yards per punt return
-Giving up 30.14 yards per kick return

UNI figures special teams out and it's 3-0 right now. We know that won't happen.

So what we learned was UNI is exactly who they have been for a decade plus

Bolded are the Cliffs Notes about UNI. Just read them ... in order ... and, well.