PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Branch activated for Saints' final game vs. Carolina

Go...gate
December 29th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Good luck Jamaal! :hurray:

December 29th, 2006, 02:45 PM
HAMILTON, N.Y. (12/29/06) – Former Colgate All-America tailback Jamaal Branch has been signed by the New Orleans Saints off the practice squad and activated for Sunday’s game against the Carolina Panthers at Louisiana Superdome.

The 5-foot-11, 230-pounder from Colgate is making his first appearance on an NFL active roster. He was impressive during the preseason as he led the team in rushing yards through the four-game slate.

With an injury to backup Aaron Stecker (hamstring), Branch will support starters Reggie Bush ad Deuce McAllister, who aren’t expected to play the entire game since the Saints have already clinched the NFC’s No. 2 seed.

Branch is hoping he will get some playing time on Sunday against the Panthers.

“It’s the NFL,” Branch said. “It’s just a great opportunity and just try to make the most of it. This is the real deal right here. I’m anxious and look forward to it.”

flea
December 29th, 2006, 02:49 PM
good luckxprost2x

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2006, 01:00 PM
and... on the NFL update of the Cowboys/Lions game, they just showed him scoring his 1st NFL TD!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

flea
December 31st, 2006, 01:15 PM
RUSHING J. Branch 3 13 0 9

RECEIVING J. Branch 1 7 1 7

2ND QUARTER
TD Jamaal Branch, 7 Yd pass from Jamie Martin (John Carney kick is good), 12:01. Drive: 3 plays, 73 yards in 1:38.

flea
December 31st, 2006, 02:15 PM
End of 3rd quarter

stats

RUSHING 8 25 0 9

RECEIVING 4 10 1 7

flea
December 31st, 2006, 03:24 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NUA11812312013.jpg

New Orleans Saints running back Jamaal Branch (35) dives for the end zone against the Carolina Panthers in the first half of their football game in New Orleans Sunday, Dec. 31, 2006.(AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2006, 03:38 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NUA11812312013.jpg

New Orleans Saints running back Jamaal Branch (35) dives for the end zone against the Carolina Panthers in the first half of their football game in New Orleans Sunday, Dec. 31, 2006.(AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

Quick note: the Chuck Burton credited for this picture is NOT your favorite College Sporting News Columnist... though I have been a Saints fan since 1987! :nod:

Swilling, Johnson, Jackson, Mills... the DOME PATROL!

December 31st, 2006, 03:47 PM
Quick note: the Chuck Burton credited for this picture is NOT your favorite College Sporting News Columnist...Dang LFN, we could been a contendah!xlolx

GRZZ
December 31st, 2006, 05:06 PM
RUSHING J. Branch 3 13 0 9

RECEIVING J. Branch 1 7 1 7

2ND QUARTER
TD Jamaal Branch, 7 Yd pass from Jamie Martin (John Carney kick is good), 12:01. Drive: 3 plays, 73 yards in 1:38.

I think it should be pointed out that this is an FCS-FCS combination touchdown. Jamie Martin was a great player in the Big Sky Conference years ago. He has been in the league a long time, not much playing time but a good career none the less considering years in the league and money made and playing fairly well when his team needed to him to step in.

Mr. C
December 31st, 2006, 10:06 PM
I think it should be pointed out that this is an FCS-FCS combination touchdown. Jamie Martin was a great player in the Big Sky Conference years ago. He has been in the league a long time, not much playing time but a good career none the less considering years in the league and money made and playing fairly well when his team needed to him to step in.
And to continue the connections, Branch replaced an injured Aaron Stecker, who himself was a great running back at Western Illinois.

GRZZ
January 1st, 2007, 03:31 AM
Indeed! I really like it when Stecker does well, he seems to make a big play every few games in the return or with a nice catch. Would like to see him score in the playoffs but he might actually be on a team where there are two players in front of him that are legitimately better, unlike Chicago where I think AP would do just as well as the other two in that offense.

Go...gate
January 6th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I'm just very happy that Jamaal is getting a chance. He worked hard chasing the dream. :hurray:

JohnStOnge
January 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I listened to much of that game on the radio. The radio guys were very complimentary of Branch. They talked about their opinion that he looked very good during the preseason and how they were glad to see him getting a chance for action.

Only thing is I think he'd have a better shot at more playing time with another team. I hope someday he gets his shot in a place that's going to give him a legitimate shot to win a starting job.

TheValleyRaider
January 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Jamaal listed as the #2 FB on the Saints depth-chart for today's NFC Divisional Playoff Game vs. Philadelphia

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/depthchart.cfm

YEAH JAMAAL!

Go...gate
January 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I don't think he saw action last night unless it was on special teams (he was on the field-goal team in pre-season). It was a great game.