Yotes21
August 27th, 2016, 10:06 PM
That was close. Had enough leg on it.

Laker
Free football........going to OT.

JayJ79
kicker was playing with house money on that one, with it being tied. Make it and you're a hero. miss and OT.

Thumper 76
This game is fantastic for FCS football

centennial
We are trying really hard to lose.

Drblankstare
August 27th, 2016, 10:07 PM
**** my life

MarkCCU
August 27th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Don't think even the most optimistic Buc supporters honestly expected this.

Unbelievable.

Yup. Phenomenal game. CSU has done a great job. Truly, the stress makes this a great game. A blowout makes for a boring game. This is a nail biter.

CSU18
August 27th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Don't think even the most optimistic Buc supporters honestly expected this.

Unbelievable.

Oh but you're so wrong. Go back and look at the other threads

Drblankstare
August 27th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I have seen some crazy ****..... Let's go. Love it

Laker
Please tell me how Charleston Southern got their name when they are located in North Charleston.

JSUSoutherner
First OT home game in NDSU history according to ESPN.

Laker
August 27th, 2016, 10:12 PM
That didn't take long. One play and the Bison have a TD.

UNI Pike
Anyone that drops CSU in voting next week is insane

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

tribefan40
Please tell me how Charleston Southern got their name when they are located in North Charleston.

Associated with the Southern Baptist Church.

mmiller_34
August 27th, 2016, 10:16 PM
That was an awesome way to start the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drblankstare
August 27th, 2016, 10:16 PM
**** my life. Seriously

WileECoyote06
August 27th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Anyone that drops CSU in voting next week is insane

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

Heck nah. They're going up in my poll.

Professor Chaos
Good game you dirty pirates! Really gutsy effort. Hopefully we get a rematch in the playoffs.

Laker
What a game! 24-17 Bison in OT.

Thumper 76
August 27th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Yo Kingpin, I'm thirsty bruh :D xlolx

Helluva game!

MarkCCU
Good god. What a great game. WTG Bucs for taking the Bizon to task and making them play in OT.

Smitty
Didn't have sound, what was the flag at the end?

Gah I really wanted CSU to win to bring some of you Bison fans back to earth. On to the next game I guess!

Drblankstare
UNi must be drooling

Twentysix
August 27th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Woooooo beer beer beer

Lehigh'98
Bet a few dudes lost a couple dollars tonight slamming the 17.5.

Anyway, another Bison win.

T-Dog
And the Death Star blows up another planet.

Twentysix

Opi

hebmskebm

OPI

RootinFerDukes
Wow. 21 pt favorites but CSU gives them a game and it was considerably more entertaining than I would've ever guessed.

Was this really NDSU's first OT EVER in the Fargodome? I can't believe that.

MarkCCU

When they were founded, North Charleston hadn't been established/incorporated. Founded as Baptist College in 1964 and north Charleston wasn't carved out until the 70s. It was all Charleston. They are still in Charleston County.

Drblankstare
August 27th, 2016, 10:20 PM
The south will rise again

JayJ79

offensive pass interference.

penguinpower
UNi must be drooling

So are the Jacks, Redbirds, Learhernecks and Penguins

CSU18

Helluva game!

Thumper - have one for me while you're at it.

Bisonator
August 27th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Hats off to CSU! Wow we escaped with that one. Hell of a game by your coaches and players!xbowx

AmsterBison
August 27th, 2016, 10:22 PM
I hope the Bucs can bounce back from what must have been a soul-crushing loss. They played a dang good game, and I hope NDSU gets another chance to play them this year.

ElCid
August 27th, 2016, 10:22 PM
yea, I liked the coach since this game began, aggressive and playing to win, why is he a prick, has a big ego?

After one of his victories over us a couple years ago, he led his team out on to our logo with brooms, right during the playing of our Alma Mater. Low class.

Thumper 76
August 27th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Thumper - have one for me while you're at it.

I will sir, or maybe I'll let him drink one for ya. Y'all came through for me!

penguinpower
Hats off to CSU! Wow we escaped with that one. Hell of a game by your coaches and players!xbowx

The QB play needs to improve or you will have trouble in the Valley.

Twentysix
Great game CSU! You made the buyer of my tickets relish every penny of the $250 they paid me.

Hammersmith
Wow. 21 pt favorites but CSU gives them a game and it was considerably more entertaining than I would've ever guessed.

Was this really NDSU's first OT EVER in the Fargodome? I can't believe that.

Thought the same thing, but apparently it was. Was later reminded that college has only had OT for about 20 years, so it's probably more common than you think.

CSU18
August 27th, 2016, 10:24 PM
After one of his victories over us a couple years ago, he led his team out on to our logo with brooms, right during the playing of our Alma Mater. Low class.

Low class???? You're entire athletic program is suspect at best. When y'all grow a pair, schedule us with a home and home again.

Bisonator
August 27th, 2016, 10:26 PM
The QB play needs to improve or you will have trouble in the Valley.

**** everything needs to improve!

ElCid
August 27th, 2016, 10:28 PM
I blame the Ohioans and Canadians.

A...yeah...way too many damn Yankees clogging the roads. My Mother in law lives on the Isle of Palms and once we get there, I hate even going to Mt Pleasant let alone Downtown.

I will say this, when I first got to Charleston in 1981, I really thought it a dump, and it was, but it has gotten better, but as a result, it brings in all the tourists.

Bison56
August 27th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Wow that is what the kickoff game is all about. Good defensive play by both teams. My kind of football. Good luck to CSU the rest of the season.

Katfan
August 27th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Great start to the season!

CSU18
August 27th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Wow that is what the kickoff game is all about. Good defensive play by both teams. My kind of football. Good luck to CSU the rest of the season.

Good luck to you guys as well. Maybe we'll get the chance to see Round 2 before it's all said and done.

penguinpower
**** everything needs to improve!

I sure it will. First game of the season. Promising that the OL and DL controlled the game in general. Missed FG, pick play, INT, Fumble, and big penalties at critical times that created huge disadvantages and they still get a W.

Lehigh'98
I wouldn't overreact either way from game 1. It's still August. NDSU looked human, but that doesn't mean they won't steamroll teams. CSU has a great coach and more talent than I expected. If they stay healthy, we should see them in the playoffs again, but again it's August.

ElCid
August 27th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Low class???? You're entire athletic program is suspect at best. When y'all grow a pair, schedule us with a home and home again.

Like I said, low class.

gregatim
August 27th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't overreact either way from game 1. It's still August. NDSU looked human, but that doesn't mean they won't steamroll teams. CSU has a great coach and more talent than I expected. If they stay healthy, we should see them in the playoffs again, but again it's August.

Yep, NDSU didn't look very good last August either. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

I hope none of the injuries for CSU were serious, they had a lot of guys leave the game at one point or another. And of course I pray Deluca isn't seriously hurt either.

CSU18
August 27th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Like I said, low class.

Like I said...grow a pair

Bison56
August 27th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Good luck to you guys as well. Maybe we'll get the chance to see Round 2 before it's all said and done.

Definitely

Gangtackle11
August 27th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Kudos to both teams. Very entertaining game.

Hammerhead
August 27th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Thought the same thing, but apparently it was. Was later reminded that college has only had OT for about 20 years, so it's probably more common than you think.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there has ever been an overtime home game at NDSU, even at Dacotah Field.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 27th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Yep, NDSU didn't look very good last August either. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

I hope none of the injuries for CSU were serious, they had a lot of guys leave the game at one point or another. And of course I pray Deluca isn't seriously hurt either.
Deluca was a dislocated shoulder. Popped right back in and he had no pain.

Hammerhead
August 27th, 2016, 10:45 PM
So are the Jacks, Redbirds, Learhernecks and Penguins

I'm sure they were also excited last year when the Bison lost the opener at Montana. :)

clenz
August 27th, 2016, 10:53 PM
If only CSU had a QB that could throw a high school JV level CSU likely wins....probably by double digits.

Hammerhead
August 27th, 2016, 10:56 PM
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas. QBs who can run and pass well aren't always easy to find.

If only CSU had a QB that could throw a high school JV level CSU likely wins....probably by double digits.

clenz
August 27th, 2016, 11:00 PM
He doesn't run all that well

11 for 13

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 27th, 2016, 11:01 PM
Congrats to both teams!

The Bison simply refuse lose! Ill catch the replay on Monday!

semobison
August 27th, 2016, 11:04 PM

I don't thinks so Mr. stats! Total offense shows NDSU should have won by two scores. Give CSU credit though! They didn't wilt in the dome like some said they would. They were a tough well coached bunch. Definitely a top ten team. The Bison need to clean things up...penalties, turnovers, punting!!

clenz
August 27th, 2016, 11:05 PM
CSU didn't need Aaron Bailey tonight. Hell, playing another true RB at QB wouldn't have hurt.

clenz
August 27th, 2016, 11:06 PM
I don't thinks so Mr. stats! Total offense shows NDSU should have won by two scores. Give CSU credit though! They didn't wilt in the dome like some said they would. They were a tough well coached bunch. Definitely a top ten team. The Bison need to clean things up...penalties, turnovers, punting!!

Yeah, CSU didn't have a QB that was worth a damn and still forced OT.

A semi competent passer and CSU is on a very happy plane right now

IBleedYellow
August 27th, 2016, 11:11 PM
CSU is a class program.

I still can't believe we had as many yards on offense as the stats show...it seems like their D stopped us every step of the way.

The Yo Show
August 27th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Wonder what this means for MVFC conference play?

semobison
August 27th, 2016, 11:16 PM

The throw he made on 4th down right before they tied it up was a beauty. Option QB's that are great passers must be a dime a dozen in Iowa! Bottom line....Bison D played great except for one drive. Offense was meh..with a lot of mistakes and penalties at crucial times. What was the total offense? 430 to 280 or something like that!

The Yo Show
August 27th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Huh, have to say that total offense stat feels higher than how it appeared in the game. It is probably right, but just goes to show perception vs reality.

POD Knows
August 27th, 2016, 11:39 PM
Great job by CSU, I actually though they did a pretty decent job through the air.

NDSU has some holes, our corners made some really bad plays on some balls on the sidelines and our punting needs to improve, drastically.

Great game and I am glad it is over. I vote for more cream puffs in the early games, need to ease in the season. I am too old for this stuff. :D

Vitojr130
August 27th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Let me just say that if NDSU cleans up their penalties, that game would have looked way better. On paper, NDSU played great... minus the penalties...

POD Knows
August 27th, 2016, 11:43 PM

Yea, he had a few sideline throws that our CB's last year would have ate up. We got work to do out there, going to be real interesting with EWU if our CB's don't pick it up a little.

Thundar
August 27th, 2016, 11:48 PM
all the respect in the world to CSU, watch out anyone who has to hit them in the playoffs

good game, my seats are right behind the visitor bench and your coach is great, team was focused and two teams that didnt have any personnel fouls due to stupidity. good game hpe to play again in the future

mvemjsunpx
August 28th, 2016, 12:49 AM
Let me just say that if NDSU cleans up their penalties, that game would have looked way better. On paper, NDSU played great... minus the penalties...

6 penalties for 70 yards really isn't that high. The punting should be a much bigger concern.

Twentysix
August 28th, 2016, 12:55 AM
He doesn't run all that well

11 for 13

6 of those are sacks though for -15 yards, without the sacks he would have been 5 runs for 26 yards. A little better.

PantherRob82
August 28th, 2016, 12:55 AM

Gah I really wanted CSU to win to bring some of you Bison fans back to earth. On to the next game I guess!

UNi must be drooling

Didn't help when Montana best them in Week 0 last year.

Twentysix
August 28th, 2016, 01:03 AM
Yea, he had a few sideline throws that our CB's last year would have ate up. We got work to do out there, going to be real interesting with EWU if our CB's don't pick it up a little.

Probably, EWU should be wayyyyy easier to run on though.

BisonFan02
August 28th, 2016, 01:05 AM

Is that "competent passer" in the same imagination land as UNI's woulda coulda shoulda nattys?

Kudos to CSU....I'm going to re watch the game on ESPN3 before I get too in depth, but I'm almost more disappointed in this game than I was in the loss at Montana last year......no idea why, but I'll revisit in the AM. xlolx

JayJ79
August 28th, 2016, 01:20 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think there has ever been an overtime home game at NDSU, even at Dacotah Field.

Went back through the NDSU stats back to 1979 and found 7 OT games, all on the road. (OT has existed longer in college football at the non-bowl levels because playoff games have to have a winner)

JSUBison
August 28th, 2016, 02:06 AM

I just checked their schedule and uffda. That Coastal Carolina game is the key to their season. If they lose that one, they better hope they sweep the Big South because if they drop a game in conference, I don't see them getting in as an at large. They play two D-2's this year and also Florida State. If they fail to win the autobid but along the way beat Coastal and make it to 8-3 they should be in, even with two of those wins vs D-2's. But at 7-4 (5-4 vs D-1) the playoff committee probably isn't going to pick CSU over another 7-4 team that played all D-1 competition.

VikingPSU
August 28th, 2016, 02:09 AM
No real reason but I was a bit happy that the Big South champs took the GAWDS of nonFBS to their first ever Ot in their dome. That being said, NDSU cleaned up in the extra period.

TheKingpin28
August 28th, 2016, 03:31 AM

Helluva game!

Yeah a win is a win but having to buy a case for a Jack Attack fan, that's just cruel and unusual punishment. 😉

TheKingpin28
August 28th, 2016, 03:34 AM
Though as I stated in another thread CSU man was I wrong on them and props for the effort they gave. Hell of a team they have with the resources they are given.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 28th, 2016, 05:10 AM
They said on ESPN that 3 of NDSU's O-linemen were out for the game. Was that right? That would have made a big difference in the run game.

VikingPSU
August 28th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Given how weak the o-line was supposed to be, prob not such a factor

chattownmocs
August 28th, 2016, 05:59 AM
They said on ESPN that 3 of NDSU's O-linemen were out for the game. Was that right? That would have made a big difference in the run game.

They said one was out and 2 graduated.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 07:25 AM

This here.

NDSU gave up only 260 yards of offense to CSU...I'll take that any day.

The NDSU offense had 425 yards but penalties and mistakes killed drives. NDSU's punter needs to step it up.

Offense was "rusty" but this team has loads of talent and they will be just fine.

Bison fans........This team will be fine.

Drblankstare
August 28th, 2016, 09:02 AM
If NDSU doesn't win by 30 it can seem to some people that the world is falling apart (I know, because I watched the game with a lot of those people last night). The truth is, close games happen, relax. Congrats to CSU on a great game

No_Skill
August 28th, 2016, 09:29 AM
If NDSU doesn't win by 30 it can seem to some people that the world is falling apart (I know, because I watched the game with a lot of those people last night). The truth is, close games happen, relax. Congrats to CSU on a great game

Exactly. Leading up to the game I just had to laugh at all the predictions of betting the house on NDSU to cover. I swear much of that talk was just opposing fans playing it up while hoping the game would be close. That way they can say "wow NDSU is garbage".

Rather than a "quality loss" it's a "poor win". Just watch, we just beat the #6 team and NDSU will lose first place votes.

Much respect to CSU. Hell of a defense and a tough offense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Exactly. Leading up to the game I just had to laugh at all the predictions of betting the house on NDSU to cover. I swear much of that talk was just opposing fans playing it up while hoping the game would be close. That way they can say "wow NDSU is garbage".

Rather than a "quality loss" it's a "poor win". Just watch, we just beat the #6 team and NDSU will lose first place votes.

Much respect to CSU. Hell of a defense and a tough offense.

Look at the overall improvement from Montana to JSU last year. IMO, this team will be fine. Will they win the NC again? We'll see but this team has a ton of talent and will be in the mix again.

Plank came in a very tough situation and played pretty well in the absence of DeLuca. Hopefully Nick can return real soon but now Plank has his opportunity to shine. Hope he takes advantage of it.

No_Skill
August 28th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Look at the overall improvement from Montana to JSU last year. IMO, this team will be fine. Will they win the NC again? We'll see but this team has a ton of talent and will be in the mix again.

Plank came in a very tough situation and played pretty well in the absence of DeLuca. Hopefully Nick can return real soon but now Plank has his opportunity to shine. Hope he takes advantage of it.

Definitely. Even with our new corners, I'd say the defense is ahead of where it was at this time last year.

IBleedYellow
August 28th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Clenz said it best on Twitter.

"Anyone who thinks NDSU won't get better is dumb. Conversely anyone who thinks NDSU is who they were the last 5 years right now is also dumb"

I don't 100% agree with the second sentiment. We had lots of penalties that were untimely and killed drives...that is something that we haven't done for the past 5 years.

Bluefish845
August 28th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Great game NDSU showed why they are the champs and still the team to beat. Championship teams find a way to win those types of games. I think the depth of NDSU is what did in CSU. I was also surprised that CSU stuck to the run as much as they did.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 10:18 AM

"Anyone who thinks NDSU won't get better is dumb. Conversely anyone who thinks NDSU is who they were the last 5 years right now is also dumb"

I don't 100% agree with the second sentiment. We had lots of penalties that were untimely and killed drives...that is something that we haven't done for the past 5 years.

That last part is a "whatever" statement. Of course they are not the same team but there are a lot of pieces coming back. Good teams find ways to win and NDSU did that along with many other wins over this last 6 years.

The coaching staff is very good and they will work out the "rust", especially in the offense.

It is the first game of the year and no team is going to be running on "all" cylinders, especially on offense. This Bison team is loaded with talent and will be fine IMO. Will they win the NC? Well, that is to be determined but they will definitely improve as the season goes along and will be in the mix.

Bisonator
August 28th, 2016, 10:29 AM

Lol yeah there's a ground breaking post. xlolx

CSU18
August 28th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I just checked their schedule and uffda. That Coastal Carolina game is the key to their season. If they lose that one, they better hope they sweep the Big South because if they drop a game in conference, I don't see them getting in as an at large. They play two D-2's this year and also Florida State. If they fail to win the autobid but along the way beat Coastal and make it to 8-3 they should be in, even with two of those wins vs D-2's. But at 7-4 (5-4 vs D-1) the playoff committee probably isn't going to pick CSU over another 7-4 team that played all D-1 competition.

I hate our schedule. Luckily for us, Western Carolina backed out of playing NDSU and gave us an opportunity - otherwise the schedule was going to be really really really bad.

I would love to hear some thoughts from all of you on how the committee would view a 7-4 CSU team (w/ losses to NDSU, FSU, CCU, and what would more than likely be the eventual Big South Champions). We should be able to pull off an 8-3 season at worst, but you know how that goes - AGS!!

Side note - lot of talk about NDSU not being sharp, and I agree. But I would also note that CSU wasn't all that sharp either. We'll definitely learn and grow from last night, and get better each week as well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I hate our schedule. Luckily for us, Western Carolina backed out of playing NDSU and gave us an opportunity - otherwise the schedule was going to be really really really bad.

I would love to hear some thoughts from all of you on how the committee would view a 7-4 CSU team (w/ losses to NDSU, FSU, CCU, and what would more than likely be the eventual Big South Champions). We should be able to pull off an 8-3 season at worst, but you know how that goes - AGS!!

Side note - lot of talk about NDSU not being sharp, and I agree. But I would also note that CSU wasn't all that sharp either. We'll definitely learn and grow from last night, and get better each week as well.

1. A 7-4 CSU team is in the playoffs, especially in a 24 team tournament.

2. Both teams were rusty for a 1st game of the year. Both defenses were good. Holding CSU to 260 total yards was impressive for the NDSU defense.

Outside of Florida State, CSU runs the table IMO.

POD Knows
August 28th, 2016, 11:03 AM

CSU's stock went up in my book, it depends on how they finish the year.

I had them at #9 in my AGS poll, I will probably bump them up a couple spots, maybe drop Chatty and SDSU xcoffeex

BisonFan02
August 28th, 2016, 11:04 AM

2. Both teams were rusty for a 1st game of the year. Both defenses were good. Holding CSU to 260 total yards was impressive for the NDSU defense.

This, but I would never want to rely on an at large bid unless you are in the MVFC, CAA etc.....these guys are going to run a train on the Big South anyway.

BisonFan02
August 28th, 2016, 11:10 AM
CSU's stock went up in my book, it depends on how they finish the year.

I had them at #9 in my AGS poll, I will probably bump them up a couple spots, maybe drop Chatty and SDSU xcoffeex

I had them 7th, and I'll be keeping an eye out for week 1 games....I think it's about right anywhere in the 4-7 range.

PantherRob82
August 28th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Right now I have NDSU at number 1 and Charleston Southern at number two. xlolx

BEAR
August 28th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I was impressed with the heart and drive CSU played with last night. They could have won it. Just glad its finally football season again!

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Here are a couple observations on NDSU from their last 2 opening games.

Against Montana Bison are leading the game with 6 mins left on our 40-45ish and throw the ball 3 straight times instead of running the ball down our throats at the end of the game, taking valuable time off the clock. Thats what NDSU fans always say they do, grind it out and win in the 4th quarter. Well you didn't get it done there and I blame that on stupid play calls from the OC

Last night you have the ball and are driving at the end of regulation. You kicker has previously made a 52 yard FG yet you have 34 seconds left and go for it on 4th down. Another stupid coaching mistake. Stick throws and INT that is returned to the 40 and CSU has 18 seconds to get the ball in FG range. Of course they are going to miss the long field goal at the end that kickers face said all you need to know, he didnt want to be there in that situation and looked more scared than any football player I have seen in years.

Neither of these are shots at the NDSU team just pointing out that your coaching staff has dropped the ball at the end of games with mistakes that usually kill other teams and you have managed to win one of the two. Just something to think about when you are giggling like school girls and talking down to everyone this week.

Grizalltheway
August 28th, 2016, 12:30 PM

If a team with only 5 D-1 wins, be it CSU or anyone else, gets a playoff bid, we need to scrap the whole thing and start over.

SENOREIDA
August 28th, 2016, 01:16 PM

No, CSU will lose to Coastal, and either Liberty or KSU.
They will be a three loss team, and I don't know if they will win their conference.

POD Knows
August 28th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Probably, EWU should be wayyyyy easier to run on though.

Yea, I not prepared to make that statement but I wouldn't be surprised if we rolled up 300+ on the ground against them.

I didn't seem like we averaged over 5 a carry against CSU and I was surprised at the total we ran up, they were all tough yards.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Yea, I not prepared to make that statement but I wouldn't be surprised if we rolled up 300+ on the ground against them.

I didn't seem like we averaged over 5 a carry against CSU and I was surprised at the total we ran up, they were all tough yards.

I wont be surprised if you roll up 450+ on them running the ball.

Most people in the BSC teams call the Eagles defense "egal entaille gigantesque" (EEG) which means they put up less of a fight than a roofied college chick

POD Knows
August 28th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I wont be surprised if you roll up 450+ on them running the ball.

Most people in the BSC teams call the Eagles defense "egal entaille gigantesque" (EEG) which means they put up less of a fight than a roofied college chick

:D We will see, EWU could roll up 400+ on our secondary as well but I think NDSU wins but it will be closer than most think but I am always wrong on this stuff so who knows. I thought we would roll CSU, I am still exhausted from the game.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2016, 02:20 PM
:D We will see, EWU could roll up 400+ on our secondary as well but I think NDSU wins but it will be closer than most think but I am always wrong on this stuff so who knows. I thought we would roll CSU, I am still exhausted from the game.

I knew you wouldnt roll CSU..............as I subtly eluded to in the NDSU CSU thread a few days ago. You will however roll Ewu, BSC cupcake with no defense and no where near the OL that CSU had. Menard, and Tanguay will have the best day of their careers in a couple weeks. Seriously, book mark this comment and feel free to hold it over my head if I am wrong. (Im not)

POD Knows
August 28th, 2016, 02:32 PM
I knew you wouldnt roll CSU..............as I subtly eluded to in the NDSU CSU thread a few days ago. You will however roll Ewu, BSC cupcake with no defense and no where near the OL that CSU had. Menard, and Tanguay will have the best day of their careers in a couple weeks. Seriously, book mark this comment and feel free to hold it over my head if I am wrong. (Im not)

I don't know whether you are being subtle, ironic, obtuse or sarcastic because I have been told, numerous times on this site, that I don't now what those words mean.

Go Bison xthumbsupx

Twentysix
August 28th, 2016, 03:44 PM

5-4 in DI games. Pretty unlikely they would get an at large.

Matt
August 28th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I can't possibly read all this so sorry if this has already been asked: what do unbiased (so, the 12 people on here that aren't NDSU or UNI fans) viewers think was more at play last night? NDSU rustiness and nerves or CSU talent? Or a combo? As a spider fan, and with the semifinal game in mind, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Bisonwinagn
August 28th, 2016, 04:19 PM

I don't see a path to an at large bid. Win the conference or bust. Even 8-3 with a win over Coastal would be tough due to the lack of top 25 teams on the schedule.

JSUSoutherner
August 28th, 2016, 04:26 PM
I can't possibly read all this so sorry if this has already been asked: what do unbiased (so, the 12 people on here that aren't NDSU or UNI fans) viewers think was more at play last night? NDSU rustiness and nerves or CSU talent? Or a combo? As a spider fan, and with the semifinal game in mind, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
NDSU offense was sloppy. Committed many big drive killing penalties and a couple turnovers. CSU played a very good game. Chadwell and his DC are one heck of a combo. A slightly better CSU QB and NDSU would be 0-1 right now.

Had a JSU v. Auburn feel to it.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2016, 04:46 PM

Players didnt execute and later in the game I thought the NDSU coaches made some really stupid decisions.

Thumper 76
August 28th, 2016, 05:01 PM
NDSU offense was sloppy. Committed many big drive killing penalties and a couple turnovers. CSU played a very good game. Chadwell and his DC are one heck of a combo. A slightly better CSU QB and NDSU would be 0-1 right now.

When I watched there seemed to be a bunch of very un-NDSU like errors and a lack of focus that I've never seen. But they're always on their A game against SDSU. They seem to have two games or so per season like that. I'll wait till week four before I get excited either way, but for now CSU has proven themselves to me. Full disclosure I only caught the fourth quarter and overtime. I do think the CBs showed some weakness, but I don't know how many teams can take advantage of it. Certainly didn't help having DeLuca hurt. Too bad CSU has scheduled their way out if an at large bid it seems.

JayJ79
August 28th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Neither of these are shots at the NDSU team just pointing out that your coaching staff has dropped the ball at the end of games with mistakes that usually kill other teams

Well, CK did spend all that time at UNI...

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 06:16 PM

NDSU did commit some costly penalties and had 2 turnovers but still rolled up 425 yards against a very good FCS defense. The Bison defense is still tough as nails though. Giving up only 260 yards to their option attack is pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

They will be a three loss team, and I don't know if they will win their conference.

Maybe, doubt it.

CSU runs the table outside of Florida State.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya, but they will not go 7-4 IMO.

kdinva
August 28th, 2016, 07:30 PM
I don't see a path to an at large bid. Win the conference or bust. Even 8-3 with a win over Coastal would be tough due to the lack of top 25 teams on the schedule.

CSU can only get into playoffs by being Conf. Champ., with two D-2's on the slate.....

CSU18
August 28th, 2016, 08:14 PM

You hope Coastal can beat CSU😝....Seriously though, I'm interested to see how CCU plays this year. Has to be tough, especially for the older guys - can't make the playoffs and then won't be bowl eligible for another season after this one. Guy that's been there 2 or 3 years is essentially finishing his career playing for pride. I will certainly be interested to see how CCU comes out this year....these situations always remind me of the 2012 App State season.

Bisonwinagn
August 28th, 2016, 08:15 PM

Both. See Montana last year and had similar mistakes. CSU has a good run defense and did not wear down like most teams do in the 4th. I wouldn't put too much stock into one game for either team as it's a long long season.

Thumper 76
August 28th, 2016, 08:24 PM
NDSU did commit some costly penalties and had 2 turnovers but still rolled up 425 yards against a very good FCS defense. The Bison defense is still tough as nails though. Giving up only 260 yards to their option attack is pretty good.

Seeing that number reminded me of the stats from the Marker Game last year, but the results were obviously much different. So I wanted to dig a bit deeper, besides the obvious part to everyone who watched the game last year and SDSU got worked. But, CSU had a similar yard difference, and was worse in the turnover margin (CSU +1 SDSU +2). TOP for CSU was wayyyy better than the SDSU game last year, but they run TO and SDSU passed for most of their yards, which definitely matters. But the biggest play of the game was when NDSU had the poor punt to set up CSU inside the 50. So knowing how good NDSUs old punter was I wanted to see the difference there.

Looking at the Marker game NDSU was a +10 yards in average punt distance vs SDSU, but was a -10 yards vs CSU. That's a total difference of 20 yards in field position. For a team like NDSU that isn't a big play offense but grind down the field instead, 20 yards can be the whole world of difference. That's two extra first downs to pick up and at least 6 more plays in which to get an unfortunate penalty or mistake. In the SDSU game they never had a scoring drive longer than 68 yards, and SDSU only had two drives start outside of the 25 or so, one of which was a td and the other was and the end of the half.

I'm not arguing that the Marker game would have been closer, but with an offense like NDSU and if that big of a difference persists all year, it COULD end up being a major Achilles heel. Plug that effect into the UNI game or any other close game, and add in missing Wentz, do you think they win those? Who honestly thinks Wentz would have thrown that should have been costly pick at the end of the game? His best quality was making the back breaking key plays in big games IMHO. Not saying Stick is bad, or they won't correct these things. It's the first game and NDSU usually has these things sorted out pretty well by conference play, but those are two underrated differences from last year to me.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2016, 06:07 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty good points.

We'll see how this new punter does. Watching him during warm ups, he had good height but no distance on his punts and that was the case also during the game. It could be a difference maker in some close games this year for sure.

August 29th, 2016, 06:56 AM
It is also true that, when successful, having to go 20 yards further increases possession time and puts additional pressure and fatigue on opponents defense. 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

SENOREIDA
August 29th, 2016, 07:03 AM
You hope Coastal can beat CSU....Seriously though, I'm interested to see how CCU plays this year. Has to be tough, especially for the older guys - can't make the playoffs and then won't be bowl eligible for another season after this one. Guy that's been there 2 or 3 years is essentially finishing his career playing for pride. I will certainly be interested to see how CCU comes out this year....these situations always remind me of the 2012 App State season.
I agree, but there are 3 or 4 players who are trying to get drafted this year. I could see this year going a lot of different ways, but I expect the seniors will not lose focus.

Gil Dobie
August 29th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Great game Bucs. Noticed a lot of players with their hands on their hips, but you team didn't quit. Coach also had a good game plan and either team could have won. May we meet again in the playoffs.

Gil Dobie
August 29th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Wonder what this means for MVFC conference play?

It's good for a lot of MVFC teams that Chuck South isn't in the conference. They played MVFC slobberknocker football.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Seeing that number reminded me of the stats from the Marker Game last year, but the results were obviously much different. So I wanted to dig a bit deeper, besides the obvious part to everyone who watched the game last year and SDSU got worked. But, CSU had a similar yard difference, and was worse in the turnover margin (CSU +1 SDSU +2). TOP for CSU was wayyyy better than the SDSU game last year, but they run TO and SDSU passed for most of their yards, which definitely matters. But the biggest play of the game was when NDSU had the poor punt to set up CSU inside the 50. So knowing how good NDSUs old punter was I wanted to see the difference there.

Looking at the Marker game NDSU was a +10 yards in average punt distance vs SDSU, but was a -10 yards vs CSU. That's a total difference of 20 yards in field position. For a team like NDSU that isn't a big play offense but grind down the field instead, 20 yards can be the whole world of difference. That's two extra first downs to pick up and at least 6 more plays in which to get an unfortunate penalty or mistake. In the SDSU game they never had a scoring drive longer than 68 yards, and SDSU only had two drives start outside of the 25 or so, one of which was a td and the other was and the end of the half.

I'm not arguing that the Marker game would have been closer, but with an offense like NDSU and if that big of a difference persists all year, it COULD end up being a major Achilles heel. Plug that effect into the UNI game or any other close game, and add in missing Wentz, do you think they win those? Who honestly thinks Wentz would have thrown that should have been costly pick at the end of the game? His best quality was making the back breaking key plays in big games IMHO. Not saying Stick is bad, or they won't correct these things. It's the first game and NDSU usually has these things sorted out pretty well by conference play, but those are two underrated differences from last year to me.
Yep, those two games are great reminders about how much a punter can really affect a game. NDSU had costly penalties, turnovers, and some missed opportunities with dropped passes and missed open receivers but I think the biggest differentiator was punting. It's surprising to me that some FCS teams don't allocate any scholarships to punters, it's a wise investment of scholarship dollars IMO.

UNIFanSince1983
August 29th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Did Lecompte catch on an NFL roster? He was damn good.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Did Lecompte catch on an NFL roster? He was damn good.
He was invited to training camp with the Bears but was cut very quickly. I never did hear the reasoning. I don't think he's caught on anywhere else yet. I sure thought he was good enough to at least push an NFL punter who had a subpar year last year but there must've been something coaches/scouts didn't like about him. I know SHSU's punter got a NFL combine invite and LeCompte didn't which seemed weird because LeCompte had better numbers. Maybe his release time was just a bit too slow, I know NFL teams are super critical on how quickly a punter can get the ball in the air.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Great game Bucs. Noticed a lot of players with their hands on their hips, but you team didn't quit. Coach also had a good game plan and either team could have won. May we meet again in the playoffs.
I noticed players with hands on hips, but they were wearing green and gold. The shot of them on the goal line right before CSU scored the TD to tie made me laugh a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I haven't seen the ratings info posted for this game or the Hawaii/Cal game on friday. Anyone know anything yet?

ElCid
August 29th, 2016, 12:04 PM

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160829/160829386/citadel-charleston-southern-agree-to-renew-football-rivalry

And there you go champ. And since we don't like to play at a "high school like" stadium, you will be coming down I26 all four times.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I haven't seen the ratings info posted for this game or the Hawaii/Cal game on friday. Anyone know anything yet?
Pretty disappointing unless I'm missing something about a 0.4 being better than it sounds:

https://twitter.com/AustinKarp/status/770296617559810048

centennial
August 29th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Pretty disappointing unless I'm missing something about a 0.4 being better than it sounds:

https://twitter.com/AustinKarp/status/770296617559810048

Seems really bad. Not many people knew football was on.

Libertine
August 29th, 2016, 12:24 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/20160829/160829386/citadel-charleston-southern-agree-to-renew-football-rivalry

And there you go champ. And since we don't like to play at a "high school like" stadium,....

Oh, snap!

... you will be coming down I26 all four times

Oh, double snap!

(yes, I grew up in the 90's)

CSU18
August 29th, 2016, 12:27 PM

And there you go champ. And since we don't like to play at a "high school like" stadium, you will be coming down I26 all four times.

Fine by me. Been like a home game for the Bucs the last couple of times we've been down there. I'm sure y'all will find a way to back out at least 2 of the 4

Libertine
August 29th, 2016, 12:35 PM
A 0.4 rating means that 0.4% of all households with a TV were watching the game. In this case, that means an audience of roughly 460,000 people. In relative terms, think of just the entire population of Sacramento watching the game and no one else anywhere.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the FCS Kickoff is not necessarily a good thing. FCS doesn't suffer from a lack of exposure nationally but rather a lack of athletic quality relative to FBS and putting two teams who haven't played a live game in months out in front so the whole football-watching world can watch them work through the kinks does not, in my opinion, reflect well on the FCS brand.

Sandlapper Spike
August 29th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Chadwell demanded a home-and-home. Didn't get it. Tells you all you need to know about the CSU administration's plans to expand the facility. As in, there are no plans.

Thumper 76
August 29th, 2016, 01:10 PM
A 0.4 rating means that 0.4% of all households with a TV were watching the game. In this case, that means an audience of roughly 460,000 people. In relative terms, think of just the entire population of Sacramento watching the game and no one else anywhere.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the FCS Kickoff is not necessarily a good thing. FCS doesn't suffer from a lack of exposure nationally but rather a lack of athletic quality relative to FBS and putting two teams who haven't played a live game in months out in front so the whole football-watching world can watch them work through the kinks does not, in my opinion, reflect well on the FCS brand.

This would seem to provide evidence to the contrary

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/more-sports/charleston-s-17--ndsu-24----f-ot----espn/64978095/

Saw this on bisonville btw

Grizalltheway
August 29th, 2016, 01:29 PM
This would seem to provide evidence to the contrary

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/more-sports/charleston-s-17--ndsu-24----f-ot----espn/64978095/

Saw this on bisonville btw

Saw a couple of threads from the game last year. People were absolutely into it and had nothing but good things to say about both teams and the atmosphere.

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2016, 02:02 PM
How pissed were Iowa fans to have to hear the SC anchor say he's "not looking forward to their NDSU matchup on the 17th." It must be really humbling to have to admit that a team outside the P5 will give you a game, let alone little ole FCS. I'd love to see NDSU put a bigger Big 10 team in their place.

FargoBison
August 29th, 2016, 02:08 PM
NDSU-Montana drew a .7(981K viewers)
EWU-SHSU drew a .5

So .4 is right in that ball park. As for the FCS kickoff and the FCS brand, the last two games have been absolutely great for FCS football.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2016, 02:37 PM
NDSU-Montana drew a .7(981K viewers)
EWU-SHSU drew a .5

So .4 is right in that ball park. As for the FCS kickoff and the FCS brand, the last two games have been absolutely great for FCS football.
Yeah, but the first two years were afternoon games. This was primetime. Oh well, there's better things to worry about both in life and the football season than TV ratings.

clenz
August 29th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Yeah, but the first two years were afternoon games. This was primetime. Oh well, there's better things to worry about both in life and the football season than TV ratings.
It also involved a team that 99.99999999999999999999% of the CFB world hadn't heard of.

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2016, 03:44 PM
It's odd though because the game involved a home game with the closest thing to a "name brand" FCS team there is, NDSU. I really think going up against NFL Preseason games in prime time hurt it more than anything. The afternoon games the previous two years drew more viewership. That is the strangest part.

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2016, 03:57 PM
For comparison, the Cal/Hawaii game on Friday at 10pm EST on ESPN drew 782k viewers.

clenz
August 29th, 2016, 04:00 PM
It's odd though because the game involved a home game with the closest thing to a "name brand" FCS team there is, NDSU. I really think going up against NFL Preseason games in prime time hurt it more than anything. The afternoon games the previous two years drew more viewership. That is the strangest part.
Yeah, but conversly 99% of the population had zero clue who CSU was an assumed a blow out
99% of the FCS world assumed a blow out

I'm disappointed to see the number not be higher but that's why I think for these kinds of games it needs to be two name teams. It will draw the casual FCS more, it will draw the casual football fan more, and will have more eyes from the visiting team watching as it'll be a bigger fan base.

Thumper 76
August 29th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Yeah, but conversly 99% of the population had zero clue who CSU was an assumed a blow out
99% of the FCS world assumed a blow out

I'm disappointed to see the number not be higher but that's why I think for these kinds of games it needs to be two name teams. It will draw the casual FCS more, it will draw the casual football fan more, and will have more eyes from the visiting team watching as it'll be a bigger fan base.

Honestly it might have been better to NOT have NDSU in it, because any casual fan who has ever heard of them know they have been crazy dominant and might assume it's going to be a blow out no matter what name is matched up with them.

Bizon9
August 29th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Honestly it might have been better to NOT have NDSU in it, because any casual fan who has ever heard of them know they have been crazy dominant and might assume it's going to be a blow out no matter what name is matched up with them.
Very true. Hell I had some buddies of mine that weren't going to tune in thinking it would be a blowout. I of course watched every second. xthumbsupx

BigSouthFan
August 29th, 2016, 05:20 PM

I never understood facility trash talk. CSU has to make the trip, oh well. How about find out why you're getting beat in a "high school like" stadium then talk trash.

Facilities don't win ball games *See Liberty*

CSU18
August 29th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Chadwell demanded a home-and-home. Didn't get it. Tells you all you need to know about the CSU administration's plans to expand the facility. As in, there are no plans.

Man y'all are so salty. Talked to a good source today. Chadwell and AD both think it's better for the university to essentially say, "screw it, if they're scared to play us at CSU, then will just take a quick bus ride down the road to showcase what we have for those in the community that aren't fans of El Cid." And please don't twist my words - this is not a direct quote, just an explanation of their thought process. I think the stadium expansion is well on its way. New field house (which will be added on to in the near future), new turf, new uniforms, an alternate helmet, new building on visitor side, new stadium entrance - all in the last 4 or 5 years. You can't honestly believe they aren't working in the right direction.

BisonFan02
August 30th, 2016, 12:00 AM
https://vimeo.com/180192562