PDA

View Full Version : Colin Kaepernick sits during National Anthem ????

VictoryViking
August 27th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Did you see where Colin K sit in protest during the National anthem?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/colin-kaepernick-sits-during-national-anthem-49ers-defend-move/ar-BBw792S?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=U142DHP (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/colin-kaepernick-sits-during-national-anthem-49ers-defend-move/ar-BBw792S?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=U142DHP)

Libertine
August 27th, 2016, 03:38 PM
This is probably the first time in over a year that anyone on the east coast has had to look up how to spell "Kaepernick".

Also I don't care. Dude doesn't like America? Fine. He'll be playing in Canada next year anyway.

TribeNomad1
August 27th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Asswipe

Twentysix
August 27th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Wrong forum, please move this.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 27th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Yeah hes a douche but its America he can do what he wants and I can definitely not GAF

Grizalltheway
August 27th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Wrong forum, please move this.

Thank you

https://s10.postimg.org/9w1ptsn49/Captain_Obvious_Sarcastic_Approval_loop.jpg

McNeese75
August 27th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Yep, pos can learn the Canadian game or switch to futball

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Redbird007
August 27th, 2016, 04:43 PM
This is probably the first time in over a year that anyone on the east coast has had to look up how to spell "Kaepernick".

Also I don't care. Dude doesn't like America? Fine. He'll be playing in Canada next year anyway.

Right on...this is American and he has the right to make a choice not to stand. That said the rest of us that disagree with his choice can boo him, give him the finger, and boycott any and everything associated with him.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 27th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Except when that happens he will pull the race card and say the reason he is being treated like this is because he is black, and nothing could be farther from the truth. The reason he is going to be treated like an asshole.....is because he is acting like an asshole. Its that ****ing simple

catamount man
August 27th, 2016, 07:22 PM
dude sucks at football so he has to do something to keep him relevant. Poor rich black NFL players. Cry me a river.

JayJ79
August 27th, 2016, 07:26 PM
he says he is making a political statement (whether that's true or he's just trying to cover his arse)
his actions bother me less than idiots at games that don't bother to remove their hats during the Anthem or that continue talking/texting/etc.

MarkCCU
August 27th, 2016, 07:41 PM
You mean the guy adopted by wealthy white people who enjoys a high level of freedom and success due to the freedom secured for him with the lives of others? Yeah. ...he's a douche.

TheRevSFA
August 27th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Dude should be more upset about the fact that he looks like Gonzo from the Muppets

FormerPokeCenter
August 27th, 2016, 09:41 PM
It's a pity that he decided NOT to stand during the National Anthem...

It was his only chance to get off the bench and he blew it...

SU DOG
August 27th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Buzkashi - A popular sport in Afghanistan where the object is to drag a dead goat through a field and be the first team to get it across a goal line Maybe he could go over there and try out for that sport in a country where he deserves to be.

MR. CHICKEN
August 27th, 2016, 10:36 PM
......MAKIN'....MILLIONS.......SITTIN'...FO' DUH DOWN-TRODDEN......DAT'S....BEAUTIFUL................... BRAWK!

Hammerhead
August 27th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Maybe he should retire and stop participating in a system where (mostly) black men get bought and traded by white men.

PAllen
August 27th, 2016, 11:22 PM
I wish I could be oppressed like he's been oppressed.

kalm
August 28th, 2016, 07:34 AM
I wish I could be oppressed like he's been oppressed.

I don't think that's the point he was trying to make. Justified or not, it's a fairly gutsy move.

He knew he was going to piss off a ton of uber patriots and places like sporting events and ESPN should be safe places. He didn't provide a trigger warning...

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 07:47 AM
I don't think that's the point he was trying to make. Justified or not, it's a fairly gutsy move.

He knew he was going to piss off a ton of uber patriots and places like sporting events and ESPN should be safe places. He didn't provide a trigger warning...

Is it really "gutsy"?

Is his "opinion" about all of why he is doing it, an informed one?

A more "gutsy" move is to go start a business in some neighborhood he feels that is being "oppressed" and employ people with jobs. Use his money, taken from a "system" that supposedly oppresses people of color, and put it to good use. That would be "gutsy".....not sitting on his brain during the National Anthem.

But hey, that is just one opinion.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Maybe he should retire and stop participating in a system where (mostly) black men get bought and traded by white men.

Why should he?

Keep making money only to file bankruptcy 3 years after he retires.....

kalm
August 28th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Is it really "gutsy"?

Is his "opinion" about all of why he is doing it, an informed one?

A more "gutsy" move is to go start a business in some neighborhood he feels that is being "oppressed" and employ people with jobs. Use his money, taken from a "system" that supposedly oppresses people of color, and put it to good use. That would be "gutsy".....not sitting on his brain during the National Anthem.

But hey, that is just one opinion.

I honestly don't know if his opinion on racial issues is an informed one and I really don't care. Perhaps Muhammed Ali's passing and subsequent reflections on his life are also contributing to some of these types of protests?

That's a good point about starting a business and putting his money to good use. Did you know that many professional athletes have already done this? How do you know that's not Kaepernick's plan or that he's not already doing some of that?

UNI Pike
August 28th, 2016, 08:05 AM
One person's Gutsy is another person's delusional. I used to live in the SF bay area, where it was all niners all the time. Don't ever remember him sitting during the anthem when he was the starter...

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

kalm
August 28th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Why should he?

Keep making money only to file bankruptcy 3 years after he retires.....

He's bad with money? Damn, well I guess there goes the putting it to good use.

You sure do know a lot about Kaepernick.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 08:08 AM
He's bad with money? Damn, well I guess there goes the putting it to good use.

You sure do know a lot about Kaepernick.

Well maybe he will buck the "norm" for so many pro athletes that file bankruptcy after they retire.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 08:10 AM
I honestly don't know if his opinion on racial issues is an informed one and I really don't care. Perhaps Muhammed Ali's passing and subsequent reflections on his life are also contributing to some of these types of protests?

That's a good point about starting a business and putting his money to good use. Did you know that many professional athletes have already done this? How do you know that's not Kaepernick's plan or that he's not already doing some of that?

Maybe that is his plan, IDK.

But in my mind, sitting on your ass during the NA, trying to make some type of point on what he thinks is "social injustice" is laughable.

ytownchief22
August 28th, 2016, 08:48 AM
He should try being a better QB.

Gangtackle11
August 28th, 2016, 09:01 AM
He's entitled to his freedom of speech as I am
to mine.

"He's a POS!"

Sundog
August 28th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I was surprised that the NFL doesn't mandate its players standing during the anthem. If he wants to sit, fine. (I also think less of him because he is doing so.) But I now expect to see more players using this tactic as an excuse to get air time for their own causes or complaints.

geaux_sioux
August 28th, 2016, 09:43 AM
I hope every time he's sacked the celebration is either a salute or hand over the heart.

POD Knows
August 28th, 2016, 09:49 AM
I haven't seen this comment on this board but I have seen it elsewhere, I am seeing people stating that he should be protected from any type of sanction by the team or the NFL based on his first amendment "rights".

I guess that the 49'er's or the NFL, being a private organization, would not have the ability to exercise any type of sanction against CK. Is that were we are at. Maybe some of these people that were fired by their organizations for controversial comments can use the Kaepernick defense if these thing ever comes to head with respect to him continuing in a 49'er's uniform.

TheRevSFA
August 28th, 2016, 10:00 AM
I haven't seen this comment on this board but I have seen it elsewhere, I am seeing people stating that he should be protected from any type of sanction by the team or the NFL based on his first amendment "rights".

I guess that the 49'er's or the NFL, being a private organization, would not have the ability to exercise any type of sanction against CK. Is that were we are at. Maybe some of these people that were fired by their organizations for controversial comments can use the Kaepernick defense if these thing ever comes to head with respect to him continuing in a 49'er's uniform.

Actually they would, but it's at the business' discretion, and I doubt they are going to

KPSUL
August 28th, 2016, 10:11 AM
The biggest irony in this is that we just saw dozens of American athletes awarded Olympic gold medals, many, if not most, African Americans, proudly standing on the podium as the National Anthem played. A lot of them with their hand over there heart and quietly singing. Does this self indulged moron think he has some great understanding and perception that only he can grasp?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 10:14 AM
The biggest irony in this is that we just saw dozens of American athletes awarded Olympic gold medals, many, if not most, African Americans, proudly standing on the podium as the National Anthem played. A lot of them with their hand over there heart and quietly singing. Does this self indulged moron think he has some great understanding and perception that only he can grasp?

Apparently so.

FormerPokeCenter
August 28th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I hope every time he's sacked the celebration is either a salute or hand over the heart.

The only problem with this idea is that he'd actually have to be on the field of play to get sacked...

POD Knows
August 28th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Actually they would, but it's at the business' discretion, and I doubt they are going to

I will bet the same people that are stating that CK cannot be sanctioned by the team and the league because of his action during the National Anthem are the same people that supported the "exiting" of several other people, by private companies, for their political statements.

I completely understand that the 49'er's have the right to show him the door and probably won't, that is not the point I was trying to make. I had seen some commentary in print and on TV regarding the fact that they felt he was protected by the first amendment from discipline and I bet those same people where cheering when other people were dismissed for political speak, don't doubt me on this.

kalm
August 28th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I will bet the same people that are stating that CK cannot be sanctioned by the team and the league because of his action during the National Anthem are the same people that supported the "exiting" of several other people, by private companies, for their political statements.

I completely understand that the 49'er's have the right to show him the door and probably won't, that is not the point I was trying to make. I had seen some commentary in print and on TV regarding the fact that they felt he was protected by the first amendment from discipline and I bet those same people where cheering when other people were dismissed for political speak, don't doubt me on this.

I liked to see links to examples of serious people who think a private business or organization shouldn't be able to sanction him.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I liked to see links to examples of serious people who think a private business or organization shouldn't be able to sanction him.

The ACLU would be all over 49ers if they did anything to sanction him is my guess. Could be wrong though.

JayJ79
August 28th, 2016, 10:42 AM
mandatory displays of forced patriotism/nationalism reminds me of Germany or the Soviet Union back in the day, or North Korea. They were/are big on that sort of thing.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 10:46 AM
mandatory displays of forced patriotism/nationalism reminds me of Germany or the Soviet Union back in the day, or North Korea. They were/are big on that sort of thing.

Standing for the anthem or putting your hand over your heart is nothing like those examples....xrolleyesx

ASU33
August 28th, 2016, 11:02 AM

Go on........

geaux_sioux
August 28th, 2016, 11:03 AM
The only problem with this idea is that he'd actually have to be on the field of play to get sacked...
Yea, I thought about that as I typed..... it's a bit of a catch 22.

POD Knows
August 28th, 2016, 11:09 AM

I never said they are serious people, they are PC douche bags but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

POD Knows
August 28th, 2016, 11:15 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2016/08/27/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest-san-francisco-49ers/89485948/

Do think the guy that wrote this article wouldn't be in full throated wail if the 49'er's cut CK based on his comments. He would be screaming first amendment protection. There are few other ones out there citing the first amendment, CK was clearly within his rights doing what he did, and you can bet your ass they would be screaming first amendment protection if he were let go.

Book it

Gate83
August 28th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Steve Weatherford (ex Giants punter) has Kap about right. Self absorbed idiot. https://twitter.com/Weatherford5/status/769719723412029440

ASU33
August 28th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Steve Weatherford (ex Giants punter) has Kap about right. Self absorbed idiot. https://twitter.com/Weatherford5/status/769719723412029440

What does "A" have to do with "B"?

walliver
August 28th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Patriotism is good, but idolatry of the flag and anthem is not. He had the right not to stand. I have the right not to buy any of his merchandise (which I had no desire to do anyway).

What really bothers me about Kaepernicks's behavior is that he did not stand with his team, but rather chose to sit on his ass and pout. He was not making a political statement like the Mexico City Olympians. He was just acting like a spoiled brat ... and then made up the BLM-type argument when called out on it.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Athletes need to be more like Jordan......in sooooooo many ways

CK taking this stupid stance is equivalent to a Michael Moore comment on guns, nobody is listening and both are C-D list personalities jumping up and down saying look at me.....LOOK AT ME!!!
https://img.memecdn.com/attention-whore_o_154167.jpg

Do athletes have a right to their opinion yes they do, but guess wht nobody is paying them for it or going to watch them because of it, So like I said earlier, act more like Jordan and keep your uninformed, uneducated ****ing mouths shut.

TheRevSFA
August 28th, 2016, 01:01 PM

Yeah and how much **** was given to Gabby Douglas for not putting her hand over her heart but Joe Kovacs and Ryan Crousler didn't get the same?

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2016, 01:04 PM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14102405_542876949241642_7322714312497259789_n.jpg ?oh=01b932530858c3ad47983be88dcab74e&oe=5846FB68

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah and how much **** was given to Gabby Douglas for not putting her hand over her heart but Joe Kovacs and Ryan Crousler didn't get the same?

No kidding! Imagine if Ryan Lochte was black he would really be taking a beating then!!!!! Oh the humanity

Catsfan90
August 28th, 2016, 02:41 PM
The left has the monopoly on getting offended and butt hurt about inconsequential things. It doesn't effect me if he chooses not to stand. I refuse to get sucked into the butt hurt vortex.

Penguin Nation
August 28th, 2016, 02:57 PM
He didn't pay homage to a piece of fabric, and ppl care? Sounds pretty cult like. The flag, and the cult-like homage you are indoctrinated to pay toward it as youths, is used to groom conformity, compliance, and acceptance of things like property confiscation. It's also used to groom kids to grow up and be soldiers for a government.

CK doesn't want to pay homage to a corporation that does this?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjc5JGF8uTOAhUEkh4KHTstC7EQtwIINzAH&url=https%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F119763358&usg=AFQjCNFiOEc7NOmsB083gKGo9AwmVvVlpQ&bvm=bv.131286987,d.cGc

I have zero problem with that.

ASU33
August 28th, 2016, 03:00 PM
I'm torn. I can't say that I'm offended that he didn't stand because I'm not. But I do wonder if this was the right move to make to bring attention to the plight of black folks because what you end up doing is having the flag dominate the discussion and not the issues that you chose to stand up for in the first place.

Catsfan90
August 28th, 2016, 03:06 PM
I'm torn. I can't say that I'm offended that he didn't stand because I'm not. But I do wonder if this was the right move to make to bring attention to the plight of black folks because what you end up doing is having the flag dominate the discussion and not the issues that you chose to stand up for in the first place.

I agree with this. I also think that it really hurt his message. The people who will back him up are the ones who already agree with him and his message. The people he should be reaching are the people who don't agree with him/ dont understand his message, and this sort of alienates them. He'd be better off with a message of hope and optimism that the flag can stand as a symbol that unites us.

Many people forget that out government grows and transforms. Just because we have a rough climate right now, doesn't mean that our flag represents that. It has been through a lot. It has been carried into battle by people of all races, and it has flown to represent freedom for all. We may not have a perfect country right now, but that was no reason to rebuke a symbol that represents so much more than our government or social issues.

Catsfan90
August 28th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Like I said in my other post, It isn't just a piece of fabric. As someone who has traveled all over the world, I can attest to how important a flag can be to a country.

When I was in Afghanistan the Afghan soldiers saw how much pride we had for being American, and this began hanging their Afghan flag everywhere. They would take pictures with it, and even one night planted it on a mountain. The next morning we woke up to the flag torn in half, and a message written in Pashto left by the Taliban. They went and retrieved it, and literally cried when they saw what had been done to it.

For many people it represents many different things. But we can't forget that "a small piece of fabric' can mean so much and unite so many people. It doesn't represent our government, it represents everything that the people in this country have worked so hard for, and it unites us.

TheRevSFA
August 28th, 2016, 03:15 PM
One of the happiest moments for me was when I came home after a month in the Philippines and saw the Stars and Stripes hanging at IAH. I knew I was home

caribbeanhen
August 28th, 2016, 06:16 PM
You mean the guy adopted by wealthy white people who enjoys a high level of freedom and success due to the freedom secured for him with the lives of others? Yeah. ...he's a douche.

agree

kalm
August 28th, 2016, 08:31 PM
I agree with this. I also think that it really hurt his message. The people who will back him up are the ones who already agree with him and his message. The people he should be reaching are the people who don't agree with him/ dont understand his message, and this sort of alienates them. He'd be better off with a message of hope and optimism that the flag can stand as a symbol that unites us.

Many people forget that out government grows and transforms. Just because we have a rough climate right now, doesn't mean that our flag represents that. It has been through a lot. It has been carried into battle by people of all races, and it has flown to represent freedom for all. We may not have a perfect country right now, but that was no reason to rebuke a symbol that represents so much more than our government or social issues.

That's well put.

McNeese75
August 28th, 2016, 08:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PechzO5LASs&feature=player_embedded

On the other end of the spectrum

FormerPokeCenter
August 28th, 2016, 08:48 PM
The Flag also represents a nation and a government that just recently elected a black man to the highest office in the land, not once - but twice.

And the same governmnet prosecuted a civil war that saw the loss of a million lives, basically, over the issue of slavery.

That same government used troops to ensure that school desegregation happened and now has strict laws that prohibit skin-color litmus tests from being applied to pretty much any situation.

He's got every right to hold whatever views he wants to hold, and to act on those. He shouldn't be surprised, though, when other people excercise the same rights and his ability to collect his 19 million dollar a year salary, which he collects for voluntarily playing a child's game.

It's a free country, he can choose to be as ignorant as he pleases.

Bizon9
August 28th, 2016, 08:49 PM
He has no problem cashing in those checks for American cash I bet.

Bisonoline
August 28th, 2016, 08:57 PM
He didn't pay homage to a piece of fabric, and ppl care? Sounds pretty cult like. The flag, and the cult-like homage you are indoctrinated to pay toward it as youths, is used to groom conformity, compliance, and acceptance of things like property confiscation. It's also used to groom kids to grow up and be soldiers for a government.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjc5JGF8uTOAhUEkh4KHTstC7EQtwIINzAH&url=https%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F119763358&usg=AFQjCNFiOEc7NOmsB083gKGo9AwmVvVlpQ&bvm=bv.131286987,d.cGc

But he has no problem exploiting the benefits an privileges the corporation has to offer.

Bizon9
August 28th, 2016, 09:00 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23385&stc=1

KPSUL
August 28th, 2016, 09:19 PM

I'm truly sorry that it means so little to you. However, it means a lot to many of your fellow Americans. The flag doesn't mean conformity, compliance, accepting "property confiscation", grooming kids to grow up to be soldiers or anything else so specific or tangible. To me it celebrates common sharing of the most basic principles on which our nation has been founded. Standing for the National Anthem is not acceptance of any partisan political ideology nor is it an endorsement of every action and inaction of the all local, state or national officials. If that was the case, none of us would stand. No one is required to stand for the National Anthem, instead, they should consider it an honor to do so.

POD Knows
August 28th, 2016, 09:21 PM
I'm truly sorry that it means so little to you. However, it means a lot to many of your fellow Americans. The flag doesn't mean conformity, compliance, accepting "property confiscation", grooming kids to grow up to be soldiers or anything else so specific or tangible. To me it celebrates common sharing of the most basic principles on which our nation has been founded. Standing for the National Anthem is not acceptance of any partisan political ideology nor is it an endorsement of every action and inaction of the all local, state or national officials. If that was the case, none of us would stand. No one is required to stand for the National Anthem, instead, they should consider it an honor to do so.

xnodx

Gate83
August 28th, 2016, 09:30 PM

I'm only sorry that you should have to take the time to spell this out.

Bisonoline
August 28th, 2016, 09:33 PM

I heard that same crappola back in the early 70s from the hippies. Now those hippies are doing fine taking what this country has to offer.

Wash rinse repeat.

Bizon9
August 28th, 2016, 09:47 PM

Well said sir. xthumbsupx

Go...gate
August 28th, 2016, 10:36 PM

Well said. Thank you for posting.

Thumper 76
August 28th, 2016, 10:56 PM
He has the right to not stand during the anthem. That's what America great. Everyone else has the right to light him up about it. Simple as that. Your rights as an American protect you from repercussions from the government, not anybody else responding in a non violent manner.

Personal opinion. Douche desperate move to grab attention, and I makes me want to punch him in the face. I wouldn't, but I would love to.

Houndawg
August 29th, 2016, 06:01 AM
It's a pity that he decided NOT to stand during the National Anthem...

It was his only chance to get off the bench and he blew it...

Post of the month.xthumbsupx

Houndawg
August 29th, 2016, 06:04 AM

Think of him as the Natalie Mains of the NFL

Houndawg
August 29th, 2016, 06:13 AM
The left has the monopoly on getting offended and butt hurt about inconsequential things. It doesn't effect me if he chooses not to stand. I refuse to get sucked into the butt hurt vortex.

Thought for sure you were leading in to the President's birth certificate...

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2016, 06:38 AM
The Flag also represents a nation and a government that just recently elected a black man to the highest office in the land, not once - but twice.

And the same governmnet prosecuted a civil war that saw the loss of a million lives, basically, over the issue of slavery.

That same government used troops to ensure that school desegregation happened and now has strict laws that prohibit skin-color litmus tests from being applied to pretty much any situation.

He's got every right to hold whatever views he wants to hold, and to act on those. He shouldn't be surprised, though, when other people excercise the same rights and his ability to collect his 19 million dollar a year salary, which he collects for voluntarily playing a child's game.

I was just getting ready to post that!

chattownmocs
August 29th, 2016, 07:21 AM
At what point does someone point out that there are over a million cops in this country and that of course some are going to be racists and murders. The amount of cases that they have brought that had any legitimacy aren't very high considering how many cops there are. When you have a million people, they arent all going to be good. I bet if you looked at a million nuns you'd find racists and murderers. My God people are stupid. There are 400 million people in this country. That piece of left wing propaganda that penguin power posted better be from this weekend if you want to show a systemic problem. What the **** are these people talking about.

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2016, 07:34 AM
My God people are stupid. There are 400 million people in this country. .

:)

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Has Kaepernick even said how he wants his "protest" to promote change?

He wants to stop the "oppression of people of color" that he sees in this country. Ok, fine. How does sitting during the national anthem do that? How about using all this media whoring he's done to get his message out there, whatever that may be, about how he expects his actions to promote change? Without that he looks like nothing more than a child and his tantrum will be taken the same as it would had it come from a child. He's stepping up into the big boy realm of activism with a stunt like this so he better be able to back it up with something more than a blanket statement about oppression unless his goal is to look like a complete fool.

TheRevSFA
August 29th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Think of him as the Natalie Mains of the NFL

Banned from the radio for stating her opinion on President Bush; Ted Nuget runs his mouth on Obama and unfortunately Cat Scratch Fever still gets radio play

Double Standard again....

ASU33
August 29th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Has Kaepernick even said how he wants his "protest" to promote change?

He wants to stop the "oppression of people of color" that he sees in this country. Ok, fine. How does sitting during the national anthem do that? How about using all this media whoring he's done to get his message out there, whatever that may be, about how he expects his actions to promote change? Without that he looks like nothing more than a child and his tantrum will be taken the same as it would had it come from a child. He's stepping up into the big boy realm of activism with a stunt like this so he better be able to back it up with something more than a blanket statement about oppression unless his goal is to look like a complete fool.

Kaepernick isn't being a media whore, that's the furthest thing from the truth. He chose not to stand in the first two preseason games and nobody noticed and he didn't go find cameras and go "y'all see what I did?". Even this last time he didn't say anything about it until he was asked and hasn't said anything since.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Kaepernick isn't being a media whore, that's the furthest thing from the truth. He chose not to stand in the first two preseason games and nobody noticed and he didn't go find cameras and go "y'all see what I did?". Even this last time he didn't say anything about it until he was asked and hasn't said anything since.
True but when you make $16M playing the most popular sport in America you'd better be ready to have your actions put under the microscope. He's a 6 year vet now so he knows this. I don't have an issue with him sitting and I think it's good for people to stand up for what they believe in but when you're in the public eye like he is you need to have something more than blanket statements about oppression when you do something as controversial as this. Otherwise, like I said earlier, he just looks like a child throwing a tantrum.

I'd truly like to know how he wants to see things change and how him sitting during the national anthem will promote that change. He has a platform right now for his message whether he wanted it or not, he should take advantage of it if he truly cares that much.

kalm
August 29th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Banned from the radio for stating her opinion on President Bush; Ted Nuget runs his mouth on Obama and unfortunately Cat Scratch Fever still gets radio play

Strong work here from both of you. xlolx

ASU33
August 29th, 2016, 08:47 AM
True but when you make $16M playing the most popular sport in America you'd better be ready to have your actions put under the microscope. He's a 6 year vet now so he knows this. I don't have an issue with him sitting and I think it's good for people to stand up for what they believe in but when you're in the public eye like he is you need to have something more than blanket statements about oppression when you do something as controversial as this. Otherwise, like I said earlier, he just looks like a child throwing a tantrum.

I'd truly like to know how he wants to see things change and how him sitting during the national anthem will promote that change. He has a platform right now for his message whether he wanted it or not, he should take advantage of it if he truly cares that much.

Now this is spot on. What he does now will say a lot. Most of what Kaep has done in the past has been done in silence with no media hype. It'll be interesting to see if he continues going that route.

chattownmocs
August 29th, 2016, 08:59 AM

Double standard in country music 15 years ago. Cuz there is nothing that reflects the current mainstream media like country circa 2003 and classic rock. Great point bud!!

eiu1999
August 29th, 2016, 09:30 AM
He has the right......to look like an idiot.....that's going to solve all the issues we have. Thanks.

Penguin Nation
August 29th, 2016, 10:15 AM
CK's own words:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," Kaepernick said. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

He's right. The US government has targeted vulnerable communities, especially blacks.

The "War on Drugs" is a war on brown people:

http://ysupenguins.com/forum/index.php/topic,13427.0.html

LBJ's "War on Poverty" was meant to enslave blacks, and resulted in decimation of the black family. A quote from racist LBJ:

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference... I'll have them ******s voting Democratic for the next two hundred years".

Blacks are far more likely to be both stopped and arrested than any other racial group.

CK could do nothing. He's doing fine. But he's willing to stick his neck out for the cause anyway. Kudos.

It's interesting that posters here are more troubled by the lack of worship of a fabric than his use of freedom of expression. Typical cult behavior. Many here probably make fun of those who worshiped a golden calf.

We could make a flag with a pic of my dog Chompers, with a star for each rabbit he's killed, and a stripe for each squirrel. We'll get kids in schools to chant to it as they stand, and teach them songs about it. As they grow into adults, they'll teach their kids in turn to pay homage to the Chompers flag. Everyone will get a warm and fuzzy feelz when seeing the Chompers flag.

Too bad these schools that indoctrinate ppl to worship symbols and grow to become human livestock for the government aren't teaching history very well.

There was a comment above about the Civil War. The Civil War was over the Morrill tariff, and not about freeing the slaves.

Lincoln in a letter to Horace Greeley:

" “I would save the Union. … If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it. … What I do about Slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save this Union.”

The only other country to end slavery via a Civil War was Haiti. England, for example, simply paid slave owners to free their slaves...and no one died.

Next time you pay homage to fabric...think about his:

https://www.rt.com/news/iraq-depleted-uranium-health-394/

POD Knows
August 29th, 2016, 10:29 AM

i just heard a Dixie chick song.

chattownmocs
August 29th, 2016, 10:33 AM
CK's own words:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," Kaepernick said. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

He's right. The US government has targeted vulnerable communities, especially blacks.

The "War on Drugs" is a war on brown people:

http://ysupenguins.com/forum/index.php/topic,13427.0.html

LBJ's "War on Poverty" was meant to enslave blacks, and resulted in decimation of the black family. A quote from racist LBJ:

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference... I'll have them ******s voting Democratic for the next two hundred years".

Blacks are far more likely to be both stopped and arrested than any other racial group.

CK could do nothing. He's doing fine. But he's willing to stick his neck out for the cause anyway. Kudos.

It's interesting that posters here are more troubled by the lack of worship of a fabric than his use of freedom of expression. Typical cult behavior. Many here probably make fun of those who worshiped a golden calf.

We could make a flag with a pic of my dog Chompers, with a star for each rabbit he's killed, and a stripe for each squirrel. We'll get kids in schools to chant to it as they stand, and teach them songs about it. As they grow into adults, they'll teach their kids in turn to pay homage to the Chompers flag. Everyone will get a warm and fuzzy feelz when seeing the Chompers flag.

Too bad these schools that indoctrinate ppl to worship symbols and grow to become human livestock for the government aren't teaching history very well.

There was a comment above about the Civil War. The Civil War was over the Morrill tariff, and not about freeing the slaves.

Lincoln in a letter to Horace Greeley:

" “I would save the Union. … If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it. … What I do about Slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save this Union.”

The only other country to end slavery via a Civil War was Haiti. England, for example, simply paid slave owners to free their slaves...and no one died.

Next time you pay homage to fabric...think about his:

https://www.rt.com/news/iraq-depleted-uranium-health-394/

Sadam hussein murdered hundreds of thousands of people you reject.

Bisonoline
August 29th, 2016, 10:38 AM
My thinking is hes doing this at work. If he wants to make a statement then fine. But hes doing it is his work space. If I was the 49ers I would make that clear.

LUnpretty11
August 29th, 2016, 10:42 AM
"When you can't make a splash with your play, do it on the bench, right?" - CK - Probably.

The guy is a bad football player. Road another players success to a SB and choked. He was - at one point - the most overrated QB in the NFL. Only playing time he gets in the NFL is on his couch on Madden17.

LUnpretty11
August 29th, 2016, 11:10 AM
"When you can't make a splash with your play, do it on the bench, right?" - CK - Probably.

The guy is a bad football player. Road another players success to a SB and choked. He was - at one point - the most overrated QB in the NFL. Only playing time he gets in the NFL is on his couch on Madden17.

xoopsxRode** - Still trying to figure out how to edit posts.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2016, 11:15 AM
CK's own words: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," Kaepernick said. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
Ah, so it's in protest against police brutality. Makes total sense that sitting during the anthem will help with that. xrolleyesx

He could do a lot more good by taking a cue from this guy: http://rollingout.com/2016/07/10/carmelo-anthony-evokes-ali-summit-asks-athletes-step-up-take-charge/

Or this guy: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/07/25/michael-jordan-speaks-out-recent-shootings-police-violence/87527386/

Penguin Nation
August 29th, 2016, 11:15 AM
cult
kəlt/
noun

-a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

-a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

https://www.google.com/#q=cult

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Colin ****pernick

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2016, 11:19 AM
cult
kəlt/
noun

-a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

-a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

https://www.google.com/#q=cult
Is Canada a cult too?

REALBird
August 29th, 2016, 11:21 AM

Personal decision IMHO. I saw Gabby Douglas dragged by the internet for not putting her hand over her heart, and then saw the two US track and field athletes (White Guys) who won Gold and Silver do the same thing with little to no fanfare. Indeed there is a double standard for how the media and public perception views the actions of athletes, Black Athletes in general. IJS.....with regard to the irony.

REALBird
August 29th, 2016, 11:27 AM

Most agreements between employers/employees in private organizations are "at will" meaning they can be terminated at any time. The fact that he has a "contract" likely means that the team would have to find probable cause or language that indicates he violated his contract "conduct detrimental" but that's a stretch and the players union (right, wrong, or indifferent) would likely fight to get him paid his money, even if they didn't get him reinstated. Not sure the team or NFL would want that public affairs nightmare. Sit him, let him rot. Then in week 9-10 cut him with no fanfare and it's water under the bridge. After that he can hang out with Ray Rice and talk about what could have been.

UNIFanSince1983
August 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Do what the NBA did to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. Fine him game checks for each time he doesn't stand during the national anthem. Turns out Abdul-Rauf only got fined once. That was enough for him.

Now the real question is what is Kaps end game here? Is he going to keep not standing until something is fixed? Because the racial issues we face right now have been around for a while, and are not an easy problem to fix. Going to take quite a bit of time.

gregatim
August 29th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Do what the NBA did to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. Fine him game checks for each time he doesn't stand during the national anthem. Turns out Abdul-Rauf only got fined once. That was enough for him.

Now the real question is what is Kaps end game here? Is he going to keep not standing until something is fixed? Because the racial issues we face right now have been around for a while, and are not an easy problem to fix. Going to take quite a bit of time.

What is Kaps end game here? To me, it's pretty obvious he's trying to force the 49ers to keep him on the roster by creating a race controversy surrounding himself because his "protest" is nothing more than a meaningless symbolic gesture from somebody who knows absolutely nothing about being oppressed personally. If you want to see changes Kap, you are going to have to work much harder than sitting on your pampered ass during the national anthem.

REALBird
August 29th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Yeah........No.

The flag as others have indicated is a piece of fabric. Held sacred to some as a symbol of freedom, democracy, loyalty and patriotism. Seen by just as many throughout the world as an oppressive symbol, as well as some of it's own citizens who have often felt they haven't enjoyed the liberties associated with that symbol. Depends what side of the fence you're on. The mere fact that a "nation" of people elected an African-American man as POTUS, well.....I'll leave that open to debate.

The Civil War was always about keeping the States UNITED, never about the abolishment of Slavery. President Lincoln used the "Emancipation Proclamation" to stick it to the South as more and more Slaves fled across Union lines to freedom.
"Since Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation as a military measure, it didn’t apply to border slave states like Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, all of which had remained loyal to the Union. Lincoln also exempted selected areas of the Confederacy that had already come under Union control in hopes of gaining the loyalty of whites in those states. In practice, then, the Emancipation Proclamation didn’t immediately free a single slave, as the only places it applied were places where the federal government had no control—the Southern states currently fighting against the Union."

The use of troops was INDEED used to ensure that the Supreme Court decision of "Brown vs. Board of Education" was upheld, but keep in mind it also applied to segregation in the Military as well as in our educational system. So that same Symbol and troops used to prohibit "skin-color litmus tests" was being applied by and TO some of the very soldiers (Black Solider) in the military.

I do agree CK has the right to be ignorant.......Lord knows the world is full of Ignorant people.

BucBisonAtLarge
August 29th, 2016, 11:45 AM
This thread is off-topic.

mvemjsunpx
August 29th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Is Canada a cult too?

I think we all know the answer to that question… xninjax

Penguin Nation
August 29th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Is Canada a cult too?

The definition of "cult" is universal. Wherever there are golden calf worshippers, it can be applied. :)

WileECoyote06
August 29th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Personal decision IMHO. I saw Gabby Douglas dragged by the internet for not putting her hand over her heart, and then saw the two US track and field athletes (White Guys) who won Gold and Silver do the same thing with little to no fanfare. Indeed there is a double standard for how the media and public perception views the actions of athletes, Black Athletes in general. IJS.....with regard to the irony.

He's made it plain that his actions were not intended to offend America's military, so I'm good with it. I'm not going to question his other commitments, as I follow him on twitter and he's been talking about this type of stuff for a while now.

Much of the reaction is faux outrage, though.

ASU33
August 29th, 2016, 11:58 AM
He's made it plain that his actions were not intended to offend America's military, so I'm good with it. I'm not going to question his other commitments, as I follow him on twitter and he's been talking about this type of stuff for a while now.

Much of it is Faux outrage, though.

Kaepernick has always been active in issues of inequality. The local radio station here in Atlanta had Alabama A&M head coach James Spady on this morning who coached Kaep at Nevada. Kaep was one of the students back in 2008 that helped establish the NAACP chapter at Nevada. I know personally of the work he's done with Guide Right through our fraternity. Kaep also donated to Albany State University a few years back.

FormerPokeCenter
August 29th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Yeah........No.

The flag as others have indicated is a piece of fabric. Held sacred to some as a symbol of freedom, democracy, loyalty and patriotism. Seen by just as many throughout the world as an oppressive symbol, as well as some of it's own citizens who have often felt they haven't enjoyed the liberties associated with that symbol. Depends what side of the fence you're on. The mere fact that a "nation" of people elected an African-American man as POTUS, well.....I'll leave that open to debate.

The Civil War was always about keeping the States UNITED, never about the abolishment of Slavery. President Lincoln used the "Emancipation Proclamation" to stick it to the South as more and more Slaves fled across Union lines to freedom.
"Since Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation as a military measure, it didn’t apply to border slave states like Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, all of which had remained loyal to the Union. Lincoln also exempted selected areas of the Confederacy that had already come under Union control in hopes of gaining the loyalty of whites in those states. In practice, then, the Emancipation Proclamation didn’t immediately free a single slave, as the only places it applied were places where the federal government had no control—the Southern states currently fighting against the Union."

The use of troops was INDEED used to ensure that the Supreme Court decision of "Brown vs. Board of Education" was upheld, but keep in mind it also applied to segregation in the Military as well as in our educational system. So that same Symbol and troops used to prohibit "skin-color litmus tests" was being applied by and TO some of the very soldiers (Black Solider) in the military.

I do agree CK has the right to be ignorant.......Lord knows the world is full of Ignorant people.

Yes...yes it is...which compels me to point out that Truman signed an executive order in 1948 which mandated the desegregation of the US Armed forces well before Eisenhower federalized the Arkansas National Guard and sent in Federal troops to enforce school desegregation.

Also, while the south undoubtedly cites States Rights as the reason for seccession, it should be noted that the main driving force behind secession was the unequal imposition tariffs and other measures designed to punish slave holding states in an effort to hasten the demise of slavery.

While 6 Union States allowed slave holding at the outbreak of the war and the Emancipation Proclamation only applied to those states still engaged in armed rebellion, the die for slavery's death had been cast.

Fighting to keep the Union from splintering isn't mutually exclusive to fighting a war over slavery, nor does it negate that fact that a million people died in that war, which resulted in the slaves being freed, nor does it invalidate the point to which you replied.

Again, while I understand that to some, the flag is merely fabric. However, the US is a nation of ideals, and those those ideals aren't always perfect, they do - nevertheless - offer a mechanism for change as has been demonstrated time and time again.

Protesting the National Anthem because of the misguided notion that the United States oppresses people of color is a fairly stunning display of ignorance in a country where the top elected office in the land is held by a person of color.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2016, 12:04 PM
I think we all know the answer to that question… xninjax

The definition of "cult" is universal. Wherever there are golden calf worshippers, it can be applied. :)
Just wondering because that's probably going to be his pre-game national anthem in a year or two.

UNIFanSince1983
August 29th, 2016, 12:22 PM
What is Kaps end game here? To me, it's pretty obvious he's trying to force the 49ers to keep him on the roster by creating a race controversy surrounding himself because his "protest" is nothing more than a meaningless symbolic gesture from somebody who knows absolutely nothing about being oppressed personally. If you want to see changes Kap, you are going to have to work much harder than sitting on your pampered ass during the national anthem.

I completely disagree with this right here. This would do anything, but force them to keep him. It would give them an out and a reason to cut him. Maybe that is his ultimate goal since he has made it clear he does not like being in San Francisco. And I would argue that what he has done has already done more than anything previously used to bring light to this topic. It is talked about more than even Lebron, Melo, CP3, and DWade's speech at the ESPYs.

mvemjsunpx
August 29th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Just wondering because that's probably going to be his pre-game national anthem in a year or two.

He'll need written permission from the Bishop of Banff first.

http://i63.tinypic.com/6pyonr.png

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Strong work here from both of you. xlolx

Not really, he must listen to different radio stations than I do.

I cant get away from the dixie slits on the radio, I even subscribed to Sat radio to get away from them and nope, the only person that makes me change the channel faster is Taylor Swift and FGL

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2016, 01:00 PM

I might possibly agree with that if you agree that in general black athletes are way more disrespectful. Ali, Raouf, Owens, CK etc

REALBird
August 29th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I might possibly agree with that if you agree that in general black athletes are way more disrespectful. Ali, Raouf, Owens, CK etc

Nope. We can agree to disagree.

Famous people sometimes use their platform to address causes/issues near and dear to them whether it's the Flag or National Anthem (Kaepernick, Raouf), protesting the War in Vietnam (Ali or Bill Walton), LGBT rights (Chris Kluwe - Vikings), Conflict Diamonds/Minerals in the Republic of Congo (Aaron Rodgers, Kanye West/Jay Z), Gender Equality/Equal Pay (Billie Jean King).

On that note...... see my first statement about agreeing to disagree.

Bisonoline
August 29th, 2016, 03:00 PM
http://www.prisonplanet.com/colin-kaepernick-converted-to-islam-before-his-anti-american-stance-coincidence.html

n July 2015, Kaepernick converted to Islam during the offseason AND he is engaged to Nessa Diab, a Black Lives Matter activist who promotes what she calls “authentic Islam.” The Kaepernick’s will also have a traditional Muslim wedding. It will be enlightening to see what Ms. Diab does when Colin starts to treat her as a third class citizen because Islam encourages and demands men treat their women that way.
(http://www.prisonplanet.com/colin-kaepernick-converted-to-islam-before-his-anti-american-stance-coincidence.html)

underdawg
August 29th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I still don't know why we play the national anthem before sporting events----why??????

PAllen
August 29th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Yet you have Jamaican Usain Bolt showing more respect for the national anthem then most of the idiots who are making millions off of the supposedly repressive system in this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uiYELBajc

To be fair, apparently Bolt does this with any national anthem to show due respect.

PAllen
August 29th, 2016, 04:04 PM
http://www.prisonplanet.com/colin-kaepernick-converted-to-islam-before-his-anti-american-stance-coincidence.html

n July 2015, Kaepernick converted to Islam during the offseason AND he is engaged to Nessa Diab, a Black Lives Matter activist who promotes what she calls “authentic Islam.” The Kaepernick’s will also have a traditional Muslim wedding. It will be enlightening to see what Ms. Diab does when Colin starts to treat her as a third class citizen because Islam encourages and demands men treat their women that way.
(http://www.prisonplanet.com/colin-kaepernick-converted-to-islam-before-his-anti-american-stance-coincidence.html)

Yeah, when did Diab give up her drivers license, right to vote, right to speak in public....

WileECoyote06
August 29th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I still don't know why we play the national anthem before sporting events----why??????

It is an old baseball tradition. It began to catch-on during the latter stages of WWI; and then after the SSB was adopted nationally in the early-30s it really picked up during WWII. Before that several songs were considered to be anthem-level including Hail Columbia, My Country Tis of Thee, and America the Beautiful.

xthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2016, 04:10 PM
this story makes The Ravens and Joe Flacco's Super Bowl victory over Kirpunk all the better

WileECoyote06
August 29th, 2016, 04:19 PM

ooo. . so that means Kaepernick will be revered like Muhammad Ali in 50 years. Good for him!

ASU33
August 29th, 2016, 04:27 PM
ooo. . so that means Kaepernick will be revered like Muhammad Ali in 50 years. Good for him!

Or like Jackie Robinson

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/jackie-robinson-i-cannot-stand-and-sing-the-anthem-i-cannot-salute-the-flag/

PAllen
August 29th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Or like Jackie Robinson

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/jackie-robinson-i-cannot-stand-and-sing-the-anthem-i-cannot-salute-the-flag/

Or like these imbeciles nobody remembers:

http://home.bt.com/images/colour-136401093054402601

TheRevSFA
August 29th, 2016, 06:09 PM

Stop spreading misinformation.

http://www.snopes.com/colin-kaepernick-converts-to-islam/

ASU33
August 29th, 2016, 06:12 PM

John Carlos and Tommie Smith. Nobody remembers them but you posted the pic😕

UNIFanSince1983
August 29th, 2016, 06:56 PM

I have a hard time believing a website that is named Prison Planet to begin with...

semobison
August 29th, 2016, 07:05 PM

During the Olympics they did a segment on this, interviewed Tommie Smith who set a world record in the 200 in 68. Many American black athletes at the time wanted to boycott the games.
They were kicked out of the Olympics and sent home. There was a lot of negative response at the time from the media and American public. Like Ali, Smith is now mostly considered courageous for this (at the time despicable) demonstration.

Bisonoline
August 29th, 2016, 07:27 PM

You obviously dont know that snopes has been wrong. Check out who funds it.

unknown3
August 29th, 2016, 07:37 PM

What you posted is clearly false

WileECoyote06
August 29th, 2016, 08:25 PM
I have a hard time believing a website that is named Prison Planet to begin with...

Its Americas best known conspiracy theorist . . . .Alex Jones. The same Alex Jones that regularly accuses the government of wrong-doing. Wait . . . a second. . . xcoffeex

xeyebrowx

TheRevSFA
August 29th, 2016, 08:30 PM

And you should check the sourcing of the bull**** you just posted. For Christ's sakes, the dude has bible verses tattooed all over his arms that he kisses in celebration.

What you've posted is some right wing, xenophobic, asinine horse**** that is actually using Kaepernick's protest to help drive anti Muslim sentiment.

Just ****ing stop

Houndawg
August 29th, 2016, 08:46 PM

He's learning. He's young.

Houndawg
August 29th, 2016, 09:07 PM

Everybody my age remembers John Carlos and Tommie Smith at Mexico City. You should check out the story of the third man on the podium, very interesting.

Bisonoline
August 29th, 2016, 10:06 PM
And you should check the sourcing of the bull**** you just posted. For Christ's sakes, the dude has bible verses tattooed all over his arms that he kisses in celebration.

What you've posted is some right wing, xenophobic, asinine horse**** that is actually using Kaepernick's protest to help drive anti Muslim sentiment.

Just ****ing stop

Is it? :D

PAllen
August 29th, 2016, 10:15 PM
John Carlos and Tommie Smith. Nobody remembers them but you posted the pic

And I'm a 39 year old fairly well educated dude. Even I'd have to look up their names to have a clue if you got them right. That of sourse assumes that I give a damn.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2016, 10:23 PM

Just ****ing stop

I am not going to read this entire threads and the links, are you saying that CK has not converted to Islam? I am just trying to catch up.

ASU33
August 29th, 2016, 10:39 PM
And I'm a 39 year old fairly well educated dude. Even I'd have to look up their names to have a clue if you got them right. That of sourse assumes that I give a damn.

Once again you brought them up into the conversation so obviously it did something to you.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2016, 10:52 PM
John Carlos and Tommie Smith. Nobody remembers them but you posted the pic

That white guy in the picture missed out on a HUGE opportunity to do something that would have trumped their disrespectful political BS.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2016, 11:03 PM
That white guy in the picture missed out on a HUGE opportunity to do something that would have trumped their disrespectful political BS.

Nope, this was a different time and a different place with Carlos and Smith. This was a huge stage and the racial climate and the political stuff that was going on completely different than today. The BLM thing today is totally manufactured, there was real BS going on back then, hell, we were only a few years removed from integrating colleges and ****. Totally different. Smith and Carlos were hero's, I remember seeing this when I was a kid, it meant something then, now, with the current athletes, it is marketing and trademarking.

Laker
August 30th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Alameda County Sheriff's Office invites Colin to go through police training.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article98770902.html

McNeese75
August 30th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Alameda County Sheriff's Office invites Colin to go through police training.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article98770902.html

LOL DON"T DO IT IDIOT!!

Catatonic
August 30th, 2016, 09:28 AM

Just ****ing stop

The indignation you express about false statements make about Kaepernick is precisely the way I feel about Kaepernick's asinine horse**** thinly veiled swipe at police: "There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." If you are going to make an inflammatory comment like that, back it up with specifics that can be verified. As it is, his comments are little more than hate speech designed to inflame passions and stir up animosity toward those in blue.

POD Knows
August 30th, 2016, 09:33 AM

Or he could strap a bomb to himself and blow himself up. I don't personally know Ali, but I do know this, Kaepernick is no Ali.

WileECoyote06
August 30th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Or he could strap a bomb to himself and blow himself up. I don't personally know Ali, but I do know this, Kaepernick is no Ali.

Obviously not, but there are parallels. Besides, I was being sarcastic. Plain talk doesn't usually work on this board when it comes to charged political or social topics.

POD Knows
August 30th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Obviously not, but there are parallels. Besides, I was being sarcastic. Plain talk doesn't usually work on this board when it comes to charged political or social topics.

I get it but you might get a couple votes for most delusional fan mentioning CK and Ali in the same sentence and talking about their "parallels". :)

WileECoyote06
August 30th, 2016, 10:24 AM
I get it but you might get a couple votes for most delusional fan mentioning CK and Ali in the same sentence and talking about their "parallels". :)

Disagreeing with the echo chamber by no means makes one 'delusional'. That's just silly. I don't agree with CKs method of protest either. But I think the response is so hypocritical that it's hilarious. "Make America Great Again".

VictoryViking
August 30th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Protest if you must. Disagree with the stars and stripes if you must. Use the football venue if you must. However, Sports is one place where we all come together for a common cause. Sake of others ahead of ourselves.... the team, the university, the win, togetherness. Its sad you have so much hate for the flag and the nation. I don't understand it, but I don't have to. Its your hate. Hate on my friend.

Dont forget, though not perfect, the U.S. is still the greatest and free-est nation in the world. The stars and stripes symbolizes that too.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23418&stc=1

Seems there is greater oppression going on in the world, than under the stars and stripes.
Dont forget to protest and hate on them as well. Still love you CK.

POD Knows
August 30th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Protest if you must. Disagree with the stars and stripes if you must. Use the football venue if you must. However, Sports is one place where we all come together for a common cause. Sake of others ahead of ourselves.... the team, the university, the win, togetherness. Its sad you have so much hate for the flag and the nation. I don't understand it, but I don't have to. Its your hate. Hate on my friend.

Dont forget, though not perfect, the U.S. is still the greatest and free-est nation in the world. The stars and stripes symbolizes that too.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23418&stc=1

Seems there is greater oppression going on in the world, than under the stars and stripes.
Dont forget to protest and hate on them as well. Still love you CK.

Solid post

TheRevSFA
August 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
The indignation you express about false statements make about Kaepernick is precisely the way I feel about Kaepernick's asinine horse**** thinly veiled swipe at police: "There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." If you are going to make an inflammatory comment like that, back it up with specifics that can be verified. As it is, his comments are little more than hate speech designed to inflame passions and stir up animosity toward those in blue.

Don't disagree. I do not agree with CK on this, but spreading misinformation is one of my biggest pet peeves

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 30th, 2016, 12:30 PM
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14212143_1437222056288768_3824288732263631844_n.pn g?oh=87e849c98c88b8c143dfc1e0c41fed7e&oe=583AFCBE

McNeese75
August 30th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Don't disagree. I do not agree with CK on this, but spreading misinformation is one of my biggest pet peeves

xeyebrowx And you are inclined to vote with what political party??????

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 02:26 PM
"Freedom"

Awesome slogan and propaganda. Wish it were true.

#10 in economic freedom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_economic_freedom

#1 incarceration rate:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/07/07/yes-u-s-locks-people-up-at-a-higher-rate-than-any-other-country/

#4 highest corporate tax rate

http://taxfoundation.org/article/corporate-income-tax-rates-around-world-2015

We're #1 at exporting "freedom" tho

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/arms-trade-exporters-importers-weapons-transfers-sipri-a6891491.html

Here's some freedom spreading in action:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/civilian-deaths-drone-strikes_us_561fafe2e4b028dd7ea6c4ff

...and ppl are upset Colin K exercised freedom of expression for the sake of a cause. Unreal.

VictoryViking
August 30th, 2016, 02:40 PM
"Freedom"

Awesome slogan and propaganda. Wish it were true.

#10 in economic freedom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_economic_freedom

#1 incarceration rate:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/07/07/yes-u-s-locks-people-up-at-a-higher-rate-than-any-other-country/

#4 highest corporate tax rate

http://taxfoundation.org/article/corporate-income-tax-rates-around-world-2015

We're #1 at exporting "freedom" tho

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/arms-trade-exporters-importers-weapons-transfers-sipri-a6891491.html

Here's some freedom spreading in action:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/civilian-deaths-drone-strikes_us_561fafe2e4b028dd7ea6c4ff

...and ppl are upset Colin K exercised freedom of expression for the sake of a cause. Unreal.

Internet babble. You don't know any of that to really be true. Who is personally oppressing me, you or CK. What is their name? Who are "they"? Think about it? You gonna blame the president? Is it the flag? Give me a break. Exporter of arms? Really....??? how do they know? how do you know?? Its propaganda your quoting. come on man. I respect your right to say it though.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23419&stc=1

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Internet babble. You don't know any of that to really be true. Who is personally oppressing me, you or CK. What is their name? Who are "they"? Think about it? You gonna blame the president? Is it the flag? Give me a break. Exporter of arms? Really....??? how do they know? how do you know?? Its propaganda your quoting. come on man. I respect your right to say it though.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23419&stc=1

Calling it babble is not an argument. They're actual facts and statistics. C'mon man...you got better than that, right?

Just keep working four months a year to pay one solitary tax....you know....so you can keep your "freedom"...lol

VictoryViking
August 30th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Calling it babble is not an argument. They're actual facts and statistics. C'mon man...you got better than that, right?

Just keep working four months a year to pay one solitary tax....you know....so you can keep your "freedom"...lol

I agree on the tax!. IMO....It gets back to facts, and we just cant trust the internet propaganda 100% of the time, just what we experience ourselves. Speak truth and fact from our own experience. Who is our oppressor? Who is he/she? What is their name? Most of the time its the person we see in the mirror. our own actions and behaviors. Most of the time. I Like your posts.

Hammerhead
August 30th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Rodney Harrison didn't even know Kaepernick is black. :)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/rodney-harrison-colin-kaepernick-not-black/172krqv16ji66153ho89cy75i5

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 30th, 2016, 03:06 PM
The only reason CK is in the news is because he is a spineless empty suit being programmed by a piece of pussy he just started dating. She a loudmouth wannabe DJ who needs to work his celebrity to be relevant. I know one way he could shut her up................

ASU33
August 30th, 2016, 03:21 PM
The only reason CK is in the news is because he is a spineless empty suit being programmed by a piece of pussy he just started dating. She a loudmouth wannabe DJ who needs to work his celebrity to be relevant. I know one way he could shut her up................

And you know this to be true how?xeyebrowx

TheRevSFA
August 30th, 2016, 03:35 PM
xeyebrowx And you are inclined to vote with what political party??????

I don't vote along party lines. Sorry for the confusion

TribeNomad1
August 30th, 2016, 04:02 PM

Dating myself, but I think the Pretenders "Tatooed Love Boys" has a line in the song that could apoply here

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I agree on the tax!. IMO....It gets back to facts, and we just cant trust the internet propaganda 100% of the time, just what we experience ourselves. Speak truth and fact from our own experience. Who is our oppressor? Who is he/she? What is their name? Most of the time its the person we see in the mirror. our own actions and behaviors. Most of the time. I Like your posts.

The oppressor? In a word...the state. It's more complex as it also involves the enablers of the state, and the erroneous concept that humans ruling over humans (like pets) must exist, etc.

One final thought about freedom. CK was exercising freedom. Freedom of expression. In a nonviolent way. In doing so he did not take anything away from anyone, or injure anyone in any way. And yet there's outrage. We are literally drone bombing hospitals. And barely a peep. Freedom of expression is a Constitutional right and a Human Right. But god forbid an NFL player exercise that freedom.

Peace and Liberty forever my brother.

semobison
August 30th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Nope, this was a different time and a different place with Carlos and Smith. This was a huge stage and the racial climate and the political stuff that was going on completely different than today. The BLM thing today is totally manufactured, there was real BS going on back then, hell, we were only a few years removed from integrating colleges and ****. Totally different. Smith and Carlos were hero's, I remember seeing this when I was a kid, it meant something then, now, with the current athletes, it is marketing and trademarking.

Carlos and Smith were kicked out of the Olympics and shunned by the American media at the time. It was years later that the American public considered what the did heroic.
When Ali refused induction he became the most hated athlete in America, was stripped of his title and lost his license to fight and earn a living for over three years.
That being said, CK is no Ali but he has the right to demonstrate what he feels is injustice. I personally don't agree what he is doing but also don't think it is a big a deal as many make it out to be. If the media and public would let it go, it and CK would slowly fade away!

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 30th, 2016, 07:32 PM
And you know this to be true how?xeyebrowx

Its a cyber observation.

If you go look at CK's twitter account and Facebook page.........if you have a clue you can pick almost exactly when he started dating the DJ racist bitch. Complete attitude change in both at the exact same time. That and he strikes me as a follower when you talk to him. Nice but not a leader and very mold-able. She runs the show.

ASU33
August 30th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Its a cyber observation.

If you go look at CK's twitter account and Facebook page.........if you have a clue you can pick almost exactly when he started dating the DJ racist bitch. Complete attitude change in both at the exact same time. That and he strikes me as a follower when you talk to him. Nice but not a leader and very mold-able. She runs the show.

So not when he established the first NAACP Chapter at the University of Nevada, or was the President of the University of Nevada's Black Campus Movement, or many other things he did prior to this. Gotchaxcoffeex

POD Knows
August 30th, 2016, 09:06 PM
So not when he established the first NAACP Chapter at the University of Nevada, or was the President of the University of Nevada's Black Campus Movement, or many other things he did prior to this. Gotchaxcoffeex

All of those groups you referenced are racist organizations.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 30th, 2016, 09:18 PM

Nope, like I said he is being programmed, by pussy. Its not just me that thinks that, at least 2 of his former teammates at Nevada think the same thing, we have been chatting about it in a text group for the last several days.

WileECoyote06
August 30th, 2016, 09:21 PM
All of those groups you referenced are racist organizations.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/58480692.jpg

POD Knows
August 30th, 2016, 09:27 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/58480692.jpg

That is awesome you were able to post a meme and a GIF on the same post. Yea, organizations that segregate via skin melanin are never racist. I stand corrected

WileECoyote06
August 30th, 2016, 09:57 PM
That is awesome you were able to post a meme and a GIF on the same post. Yea, organizations that segregate via skin melanin are never racist. I stand corrected

I was going to offer some facts; but i'll just respond with the NAACP is not a racist group. The Black Campus movement isn't either, and neither is Kappa Alpha Psi.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 30th, 2016, 10:25 PM
NAACP most definitely is, no doubt about it, but you wouldnt know because only "whites can see racism"

KPSUL
August 30th, 2016, 11:07 PM
"I don't agree with CKs method of protest either."

Well that is exactly the point most of us are trying to make here! My reaction doesn't have one damn thing to do with "Make America Great Again". The biggest hypocrisy is in Colin using a lack of respect for the symbol of our basic freedoms as a means of protest.

WileECoyote06
August 31st, 2016, 03:24 AM
NAACP most definitely is, no doubt about it, but you wouldnt know because only "whites can see racism"

Lol. . ok. Have at it champ. xcoffeex xthumbsupx

https://media.giphy.com/media/1bHdnX1QMeQTe/giphy.gif

WileECoyote06
August 31st, 2016, 03:45 AM
Well that is exactly the point most of us are trying to make here! My reaction doesn't have one damn thing to do with "Make America Great Again". The biggest hypocrisy is in Colin using a lack of respect for the symbol of our basic freedoms as a means of protest.

I think you mean irony. Colin Kaepernick quietly protests, he's made into a pariah; Trump shouts America sucks. .. .Republican national nominee for the presidency. The same people who proudly display the confederate flag, are offended because C.K. doesn't wish to reverence the US flag? That's hypocrisy.

It's faux rage and faux patriotism and many people can see right through it. Now when's the next controversy?

Catatonic
August 31st, 2016, 05:52 AM
I think you mean irony. Colin Kaepernick quietly protests, he's made into a pariah; Trump shouts America sucks. .. .Republican national nominee for the presidency. The same people who proudly display the confederate flag, are offended because C.K. doesn't wish to reverence the US flag? That's hypocrisy.

It's faux rage and faux patriotism and many people can see right through it. Now when's the next controversy?

There is irony. Good choice of words.

It is ironic that Colin chooses to exercise his basic freedom by demonstrating a lack of respect for the symbol of that freedom, something he would not be allowed to do elsewhere. He has that right, however ironic.

The reason he has nothing to say that I am willing to listen to has nothing to do with his method of protest. It is his reckless allegations that police in this country are gunning down innocent Black people and getting away with murder without backing up his claim. This does nothing to foster unity or racial reconciliation. Quite the opposite.

That is not to say there are not examples of a policeman murdering a black man and walking away unpunished. There probably are examples of this. These are best dealt with on a case by case basis, with multiple levels of investigation to determine if, in fact, a crime has been committed. That killings are closely scrutinized by the Obama Justice Department lends credibility to such investigations. That is, they aren't left up to a local police department investigating and finding one of its own innocent. The Ferguson case is a good example of how an investigation can reveal evidence that contrary to the initial narrative put forth by media and Black Lives Matters, the shooting was justified though tragic.

The survival of America depends upon our finding a way to bridge the racial divide, including disparities in policing and judicial sentencing. The way forward however is not to use football games as a forum for promoting race based animosity toward police in general by making broadside, unsubstantiated charges against police in general. Colin's choice of words, his support for the Black Panthers and the Black Lives Matter organization (not the principle that black lives matter) only serve to divide us, not to unite us.

ASU33
August 31st, 2016, 08:14 AM
NAACP most definitely isw, no doubt about it, but you wouldnt know because only "whites can see racism"

So are the white people who are members also racist too? Or were the white founding members racist too? Just explain to me how that all works if you could.😕

ASU33
August 31st, 2016, 08:16 AM
Lol. . ok. Have at it champ. xcoffeex xthumbsupx

https://media.giphy.com/media/1bHdnX1QMeQTe/giphy.gif

Bruh!😩

UNIFanSince1983
August 31st, 2016, 08:36 AM
I can only assume that ursus is on vacation otherwise this thread would have been moved long ago.

Panther88
August 31st, 2016, 09:08 AM
So are the white people who are members also racist too? Or were the white founding members racist too? Just explain to me how that all works if you could.😕

xlolx Ouch. This thread is all over the place. Let us join hands & gleefully sing "amazing grace" lol & then honor america by singing all stanzas of the nat'l anthem as a monolithic group.

POD Knows
August 31st, 2016, 09:15 AM
xlolx Ouch. This thread is all over the place. Let us join hands & gleefully sing "amazing grace" lol & then honor america by singing all stanzas of the nat'l anthem as a monolithic group.

Well, I did what I could to drag this thing into the gutter, so my work here is done.

KPSUL
August 31st, 2016, 09:47 AM

Quit trying to falsely label the people who have posted to this thread to make your contrived arguments sound more legitimate. It doesn't work. Do you really think the majority of the 90% + people who disagree with Kaepernick's action "proudly display the confederate flag?" In fact do you? In in earlier post you indicated you that you didn't agree with CK's method of protest either.
Now, that's hypocrisy!

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 31st, 2016, 10:01 AM
Well, I did what I could to drag this thing into the gutter, so my work here is done.
What took you so long? I've been waiting for you 3 days............

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

UNIFanSince1983
August 31st, 2016, 10:02 AM
Quit trying to falsely label the people who have posted to this thread to make your contrived arguments sound more legitimate. It doesn't work. Do you really think the majority of the 90% + people who disagree with Kaepernick's action "proudly display the confederate flag?" In fact do you? In in earlier post you indicated you that you didn't agree with CK's method of protest either.
Now, that's hypocrisy!

What he actually said was the people who already proudly display the confederate flag are offended because Kap doesn't revere the US flag.

He said nothing about the "90% of people that disagree with Kap".

POD Knows
August 31st, 2016, 10:17 AM
What took you so long? I've been waiting for you 3 days............

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I thought Kaepernick was a brand of sausage and I couldn't figure out why anybody cared whether or not "Kaepernick" stood during the national anthem. xdrunkyx

jimbo65
August 31st, 2016, 10:25 AM
This topic is very iffy for a sports board and do not wish to add politics to make it iffier. That said, did anyone else see the entire interview. Fox News showed it and Colin said that if anyone else did what a certain candidate for prez did, they would be in jail while she walked. I agree with him on that but not the flag disrespect.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 31st, 2016, 10:30 AM
I thought Kaepernick was a brand of sausage and I couldn't figure out why anybody cared whether or not "Kaepernick" stood during the national anthem. xdrunkyx

Now, it makes sense

KPSUL
August 31st, 2016, 04:57 PM
What he actually said was the people who already proudly display the confederate flag are offended because Kap doesn't revere the US flag.

He said nothing about the "90% of people that disagree with Kap".

I have no idea what point your trying to make. He's clearly implying that people who criticize CK proudly fly the stars and bars. the 90% is my estimate of the percentage of Americans critical of CK's action, and IMO, a meniscal amount of that percentage proudly wave the confederate flag,

But actually, some of the most fervent confederate flag wavers despise the stars and stripes. There are still active secessionist organizations in the south.

Penguin Nation
August 31st, 2016, 06:32 PM
I interrupt this state-worship cult meeting to bring you this:

http://www.snopes.com/stand-pledge-of-allegiance-congress/

Dear Lord ppl sat during the pledge! The horror!!

Now stand up and worship the symbols of your masters! Cuz freedom, yo.

UNIFanSince1983
August 31st, 2016, 06:57 PM
I have no idea what point your trying to make. He's clearly implying that people who criticize CK proudly fly the stars and bars. the 90% is my estimate of the percentage of Americans critical of CK's action, and IMO, a meniscal amount of that percentage proudly wave the confederate flag,

But actually, some of the most fervent confederate flag wavers despise the stars and stripes. There are still active secessionist organizations in the south.

That is completely wrong. He is implying that people who proudly fly the stars and bars are pissed about Kap not respecting a flag they probably don't even fly. He is in no way saying everyone who is pissed about Kap flies the confederate flag.

KPSUL
August 31st, 2016, 08:22 PM
That is completely wrong. He is implying that people who proudly fly the stars and bars are pissed about Kap not respecting a flag they probably don't even fly. He is in no way saying everyone who is pissed about Kap flies the confederate flag.

Actually, I'm not sure he even knows what he was "trying" to say. His posts are getting increasingly bizarre, so I'm done trying to decipher them.

WileECoyote06
August 31st, 2016, 08:45 PM
Actually, I'm not sure he even knows what he was "trying" to say. His posts are getting increasingly bizarre, so I'm done trying to decipher them.
UNIFan was correct.

The same people who proudly display the confederate flag, are offended because C.K. doesn't wish to reverence the US flag? That's hypocrisy.

It'd be an entirely different sentence if it'd read:

The people who are offended because C.K. doesn't wish to reverence the US flag, are the same people who proudly display the confederate flag.

But that's not what I said.

My posts are getting increasingly bizarre? xlolxLOL . . .

Thanks UNIFan. Good luck to your team against ISU.