PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't McCown getting PT with Lions?

GRZZ
December 26th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I don't understand it really. He and Kitna were signed to compete for the starting job out of camp. Obviously Kitna won the job, but the season has been lost for weeks, I don't understand why Josh McCown from SHSU isn't getting any snaps. Kitna is old, he is not the future in Detroit I don't think. Maybe Mike Martz and Rod marinelli really like him...

TexasTerror
December 26th, 2006, 10:54 PM
McCown has been screwed everywhere he's gone...

He led Arizona to a .500 record, yet was benched. Their team still had a shot at the playoffs, yet he was benched after leading a pretty bad Arizona team to a good shot at the playoffs...Denny Green was off his rocker!

GRZZ
December 26th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I don't know why they went with Kurt Warner, you knew that wasn't going to last. Although I am glad he left Arizona because even if they had signed him to a long contract, they would have taken Leinhart the way he fell to them.

kats89
December 27th, 2006, 06:30 AM
There is a reason why Arizona and Detroit are always in the cellar. No one can evaluate talent. McCown can get the job done. I think he proved that in Arizona in the short time he got to start. Both organizations SUCK!!

Mr. C
December 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM
An NFL team isn't going to go very far with a QB like McCown. He is like a bunch of NFL QBs, just talented enough to keep a job. Sorry, but it is true. There are a lot of teams searching for good QBs. There are not very many good ones in the NFL. Out of 32 teams, you can count the good QBs on two hands and not need all your fingers. Neither McCown or Kitna are "the future" for any team. Guys, let's be realistic. Have Arizona and Detroit had trouble evaluating talent? Obviously. But both are now under new coaching regimes, so maybe it's not the same thing. Kitna, by the way, has a much stronger track record than McCown does at a number of places. Mike Martz has proven himself as an offensive genius. Defense was the trouble with the Rams, not offense. He has a Super Bowl ring, so obviously he nows something about coaching (I'll be as partisan as kats89 here, considering Martz used to play at my alma mater, Fresno State). But these guys are being paid to make these decisions. They see these players in practice every day. There is a reason why some players play and some don't

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Any QB for the Lions will be helped by former UNI player Mike Furrey. He's made some great plays this year. I think he needs some more work after playing DB for the Rams, but I'm guessing Martz must like him.

GRZZ
December 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Any QB for the Lions will be helped by former UNI player Mike Furrey. He's made some great plays this year. I think he needs some more work after playing DB for the Rams, but I'm guessing Martz must like him.

He is improving though. I picked him up for my fantasy finale, I'm hoping for good things.

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 05:49 PM
He is improving though. I picked him up for my fantasy finale, I'm hoping for good things.

I don't know how he made his TD catch on Sunday. It looked uncatchable and the camera guy missed it. : smh :

JohnStOnge
December 27th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Mike Martz has proven himself as an offensive genius. Defense was the trouble with the Rams, not offense. He has a Super Bowl ring, so obviously he nows something about coaching

Martz won that Super Bowl ring with Kurt Warner at quarterback. Warner would never have seen meaningful action based on Martz's judgement. He got his shot because the guy Warner had starting over him got hurt. Then he went on to be offensive MVP of the league.

In fact, nobody was going to give Warner a shot. He didn't get a real chance to show what he could do until near the end of his prime.

I really don't know if McCown should be starting in Detroit or not. But I think it's pretty much self evident that NFL coaches make errors in talent/performance evaluation. There are many, many examples of guys who for one reason or another got a chance to show what they could do after some coaching staff decided they couldn't do it and proved that coaching staff wrong.

No NFL coaching staff thought Warner was a starting caliber QB who could lead a team to the Super Bowl. It's self evident that everybody who thought that about him was wrong.

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
No NFL coaching staff thought Warner was a starting caliber QB who could lead a team to the Super Bowl. It's self evident that everybody who thought that about him was wrong.

Good point.

GRZZ
December 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM
And furthering that point, Kitna has 20 picks this season. He has thrown for 4000 yards, but it seems that McCown should have atleast attempted a pass at some point in this lost season. There is a line between being a good talent evaluator and just being stubborn. :twocents:

furpal87
December 30th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Maybe they think Kitna is the best route to the #1 draft pick.xlolx

GRZZ
December 31st, 2006, 01:22 AM
And Brady Quinn, who I imagine Martz would love to have. Possible...