PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Massey Ratings

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 11:43 PM
Give it a gander.

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

skinny_uncle
August 1st, 2016, 11:47 PM
Not to be confused with http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 2nd, 2016, 01:17 AM
Give it a gander.

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

WOW, the James England ratings are kind strange.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2016, 01:21 AM
Not to be confused with http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605

Was I misrepping it or something? I changed the title to ratings if that is the problem?

dewey
August 2nd, 2016, 06:02 AM
Was I misrepping it or something? I changed the title to ratings if that is the problem?

So is there 2 Massey ratings?xconfusedx

Dewey

Hammersmith
August 2nd, 2016, 08:15 AM
So is there 2 Massey ratings?xconfusedx

Dewey

Yes. There is the Massey rating that is based off of Ken Massey's model. Then there is the Massey Ranking Composite which is an average of 10+ rating systems and polls(including Massey and AGS). Normally saying just Massey refers to the former, while saying Massey Composite refers to the latter.

AmsterBison
August 2nd, 2016, 08:33 AM
One of the ratings systems from the Massey Composite: England

Here's ENG's top 20:
1. Dartmouth
2. Portland State
3. Southern Utah
4. Illinois State
5. Princeton
6. Penn
7. NDSU
8. James Madison
9. Jacksonville State
10. William and Mary
11. Chatty
12. Harvard
13. Northern Iowa
14. SDSU
15. Tennessee-Martin
16. Richmond
17. NC AT&T
18. McNeese State
19. Brown
20. Charleston Southern

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 2nd, 2016, 08:36 AM

Here's ENG's top 20:
1. Dartmouth
2. Portland State
3. Southern Utah
4. Illinois State
5. Princeton
6. Penn
7. NDSU
8. James Madison
9. Jacksonville State
10. William and Mary
11. Chatty
12. Harvard
13. Northern Iowa
14. SDSU
15. Tennessee-Martin
16. Richmond
17. NC AT&T
18. McNeese State
19. Brown
20. Charleston Southern
How does he justify this?

JSUSoutherner
August 2nd, 2016, 08:36 AM

Here's ENG's top 20:
1. Dartmouth
2. Portland State
3. Southern Utah
4. Illinois State
5. Princeton
6. Penn
7. NDSU
8. James Madison
9. Jacksonville State
10. William and Mary
11. Chatty
12. Harvard
13. Northern Iowa
14. SDSU
15. Tennessee-Martin
16. Richmond
17. NC AT&T
18. McNeese State
19. Brown
20. Charleston Southern
wut.

Hammersmith
August 2nd, 2016, 10:34 AM
How does he justify this?

Obviously his statistical model has a couple flaws. He must be putting too much emphasis on some stat, or too little on something else. What do those top 5 schools have in common?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2016, 10:42 AM
Obviously his statistical model has a couple flaws. He must be putting too much emphasis on some stat, or too little on something else. What do those top 5 schools have in common?

Maybe It's a points scored/points allowed thing looking at it with just a cursory glance. NDSU and UNI would seem to be in tighter contests than the top 5 just off the top of my head and SUU and PSU had some major blowouts last season.

JSUSoutherner
August 2nd, 2016, 10:49 AM
Maybe It's a points scored/points allowed thing looking at it with just a cursory glance. NDSU and UNI would seem to be in tighter contests than the top 5 just off the top of my head and SUU and PSU had some major blowouts last season.

Wouldnt that put us above NDSU though?

geaux_sioux
August 2nd, 2016, 10:51 AM
No, BMI is the mostly heavily weighted stat.

JSUSoutherner
August 2nd, 2016, 10:52 AM
No, BMI is the mostly heavily weighted stat.
Then shouldn't your group of pissed off gym rats be at the top?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2016, 10:55 AM

Don't know, as I mentioned, it was a cursory glance.

Hammersmith
August 2nd, 2016, 11:00 AM

Might also be turnover margin. Seeing some correlation there.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/29

centennial
August 2nd, 2016, 11:00 AM

Teams that barely beat Drake need not apply.

BEAR
August 2nd, 2016, 12:27 PM
Teams that barely beat Drake need not apply.

Wut?
http://cdn.pigeonsandplanes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/drake1.jpg

clenz
August 2nd, 2016, 12:41 PM
Could be.

Quick stat review shows NDSU has a point delta of 294. Everyone else seems to fall between 139 and about 180 which equals to less than 4 points per game difference between the higher and lower end....roughly

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2016, 12:58 PM
Quit trying to understand England... they don't even call the right sport football... and they have bad food, bad teeth, ugly people... bad at understanding the world economy... bad at fighting wars unless the US is on their side... bad at ranking college football teams.

BEAR
August 2nd, 2016, 01:19 PM
Quit trying to understand England... they don't even call the right sport football... and they have bad food, bad teeth, ugly people... bad at understanding the world economy... bad at fighting wars unless the US is on their side... bad at ranking college football teams.

And our country is full of colonists from England...xlolx Doesn't say much for us huh?

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2016, 01:22 PM
And our country is full of colonists from England...xlolx Doesn't say much for us huh?
We're the wheat... they're the chaff. ;)

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 2nd, 2016, 02:54 PM

It is James England.

UNIFanSince1983
August 2nd, 2016, 03:37 PM
This man James England has Dartmouth at 31 overall. Ahead of teams like West Virginia, Oregon, Nebraska.

I was hoping his site had an explanation of his rankings, but it does not. It is also fair to say that all computer ratings systems have flaws when no games have been played yet. They need a few to get a tight connection between the teams.

Hammersmith
August 2nd, 2016, 03:50 PM
This man James England has Dartmouth at 31 overall. Ahead of teams like West Virginia, Oregon, Nebraska.

I was hoping his site had an explanation of his rankings, but it does not. It is also fair to say that all computer ratings systems have flaws when no games have been played yet. They need a few to get a tight connection between the teams.

Yeah, but they ended last year with Dartmouth at #2 in FCS and #18 overall.

BEAR
August 2nd, 2016, 04:12 PM
It is James England.

More like Robert England....slicing and hacking up the polls....you're just dreaming with some of those top 25 picks...xlolx

http://www.toportraits.com/Images/Entertainment/Movies/Freddy%20Krueger/Freddy%20Krueger%201.jpg

geaux_sioux
August 2nd, 2016, 04:39 PM
Since muscle weighs more than fat and our players are like so totally ripped they end up if the obese range with your deep fried fat ass players.

JSUSoutherner
August 2nd, 2016, 05:03 PM
Since muscle weighs more than fat and our players are like so totally ripped they end up if the obese range with your deep fried fat ass players.
It's sad that our deep fried players could the playoffs and your little Hulksters couldn't, isn't it?

Twentysix
August 2nd, 2016, 06:05 PM
It's sad that our deep fried players could the playoffs and your little Hulksters couldn't, isn't it?

Omg just make out already.

JSUSoutherner
August 2nd, 2016, 06:07 PM
Nah.

I have standards.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 2nd, 2016, 06:14 PM

What is Grady's status?

geaux_sioux
August 2nd, 2016, 06:17 PM
Not really considering they play against other fat southerners in the OVC.

geaux_sioux
August 2nd, 2016, 06:19 PM
What is Grady's status?

Confusing. We should know kind of for sure tomorrow. I've heard done as can be but there's been a lot of different stories out there so who knows for sure.

geaux_sioux
August 2nd, 2016, 06:20 PM
Nah.

I have standards.

Bitch please, I'm an 8 on a bad day and I can cook. I'm the kind of girl your mother wishes you could be with but knows is way out of your league.

NY Crusader 2010
August 2nd, 2016, 06:22 PM
1) That England poll is insane.
2) Massey overall either highly overrates the Ivy League or AGS highly underrates them. Doesn't even look like Harvard made our top 25.
3) I hope that AGS is right and that the top two PL teams end up better than the top two Ivies and that we get some big wins against them this year.

Thumper 76
August 2nd, 2016, 06:22 PM

xlolx no **** xlolx

Bisonoline
August 2nd, 2016, 06:23 PM
Bitch please, I'm an 8 on a bad day and I can cook. I'm the kind of girl your mother wishes you could be with but knows is way out of your league.

xlolxxthumbsupx

Schism55
August 2nd, 2016, 06:32 PM
Those etiquette classes clearly paid off xthumbsupx

geaux_sioux
August 2nd, 2016, 06:42 PM
Those etiquette classes clearly paid off xthumbsupx
Pfft etiquette classes are for new money

Schism55
August 2nd, 2016, 07:36 PM
1. England Massey may be in a poorly ventilated room with an open container of paint thinner, someone check on him please.
2. Ill St at 3, ummmm. Has he heard of graduation?
3. Can we stop ranking the Ivies til they start playing someone?

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2016, 07:43 PM
UND fan and non NDSU fans feuding? Color me surprised.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

superman7515
August 2nd, 2016, 08:23 PM
So my nigrumps ElCid and I had a few conversations last year about the Sagarins rankings that I use in the How They Fared spreadsheet and Massey will be used this year as well (the Massey ranking, not the composite which changes from week to week and adds more polls as the year goes on) as ElCid did some strong work over the year.

Massey did better than Sagarin in every way, but it was close.

Top 25 games, playoff games, and Clenz's game of the week stuff:
Sagarin - 249 picked correctly, 74 picked incorrectly - 77.1% accurate
Massey - 258 & 65 - 79.9% accurate

For every FCS game played last year, Massey went 633-154 when picking the week before the game - 80.43% accurate.

For every FCS game played last year, Massey went 590-168 when he picked every game that would be played in the 2015 campaign before the season even began - 77.84% accurate when he didn't even have the option of taking injury and field conditions into consideration.

Also, Massey starts off more accurate than Sagarin in the beginning of the season by a nice margin, but as the year goes on, they kind of balance out together.

Full disclosure: Once again, all props to ElCid for helping out with that info which will be used in the HTF sheets this year; send the man some Reppies.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2016, 08:34 PM
So my nigrumps ElCid and I had a few conversations last year about the Sagarins rankings that I use in the How They Fared spreadsheet and Massey will be used this year as well (the Massey ranking, not the composite which changes from week to week and adds more polls as the year goes on) as ElCid did some strong work over the year.

Massey did better than Sagarin in every way, but it was close.

Top 25 games, playoff games, and Clenz's game of the week stuff:
Sagarin - 249 picked correctly, 74 picked incorrectly - 77.1% accurate
Massey - 258 & 65 - 79.9% accurate

For every FCS game played last year, Massey went 633-154 when picking the week before the game - 80.43% accurate.

For every FCS game played last year, Massey went 590-168 when he picked every game that would be played in the 2015 campaign before the season even began - 77.84% accurate when he didn't even have the option of taking injury and field conditions into consideration.

Also, Massey starts off more accurate than Sagarin in the beginning of the season by a nice margin, but as the year goes on, they kind of balance out together.

Full disclosure: Once again, all props to ElCid for helping out with that info which will be used in the HTF sheets this year; send the man some Reppies.

Will do. Cool info. to see.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2016, 08:35 PM
Hey you got my pm of the full list correct?

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 2nd, 2016, 09:11 PM
Why does Massey use the England poll when it is so wacked? How can Massey justify using it?

Schism55
August 2nd, 2016, 09:26 PM
Why does Massey use the England poll when it is so wacked? How can Massey justify using it?
Cocaine is a helluva drug

superman7515
August 3rd, 2016, 04:34 AM

He doesn't "use" it. That's just an aggregate comparison of where every ranking system has the teams. He uses his own methodology, but publishes that other page each week so that you can see where every ranking system has different teams.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 3rd, 2016, 07:22 AM
He doesn't "use" it. That's just an aggregate comparison of where every ranking system has the teams. He uses his own methodology, but publishes that other page each week so that you can see where every ranking system has different teams.

Th at is good to know. Do you know how this James England comes up wit his poll?

UIWWildthing
August 3rd, 2016, 07:31 AM

Here's ENG's top 20:
1. Dartmouth
2. Portland State
3. Southern Utah
4. Illinois State
5. Princeton
6. Penn
7. NDSU
8. James Madison
9. Jacksonville State
10. William and Mary
11. Chatty
12. Harvard
13. Northern Iowa
14. SDSU
15. Tennessee-Martin
16. Richmond
17. NC AT&T
18. McNeese State
19. Brown
20. Charleston Southern
Yo Barett, any thoughts?
http://i.imgur.com/u3T9u4G.gif

Go Green
August 3rd, 2016, 07:35 AM

Here's ENG's top 20:
1. Dartmouth

Looks good to me.

:)

Go Green
August 3rd, 2016, 07:37 AM

Again, I'm good with that.

:)

Bisonator
August 3rd, 2016, 08:05 AM
Th at is good to know. Do you know how this James England comes up wit his poll?
http://www.menemshagroup.com/Portals/133175/images/darts-blindfolded.jpg

superman7515
August 3rd, 2016, 10:55 AM

Not off hand, he's a young guy (27-28) who works for FiveThirtyEight doing Oscar award predictions. To come up with his football rankings, he took Ken Massey's senior project from when Massey was in college, made a couple of tweaks to Massey's linear regression, and now publishes it as his own. Remember that scene from Jurassic Park, "so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Ivytalk
August 3rd, 2016, 02:34 PM
Yo Barett, any thoughts?
http://i.imgur.com/u3T9u4G.gif

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

xcoffeex

August 4th, 2016, 06:33 AM
GIRL FIGHT GIRL FIGHT! Live stream it Ladies!

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2016, 07:12 AM
I have a massey question. I notice that the NDSU/CSU game has not yet populated on Massey's site and I was hoping to see what little effect it had on the rankings for either team.

1) Does massey bother to update the scores during any "pre-week 1" games each year?
2) When massey does update each week, when does it happen? Sometime Monday?

ElCid
August 29th, 2016, 07:33 AM
I have a massey question. I notice that the NDSU/CSU game has not yet populated on Massey's site and I was hoping to see what little effect it had on the rankings for either team.

1) Does massey bother to update the scores during any "pre-week 1" games each year?

1) I don't believe they did last year
2) I have always seen it update by Sunday, but not sure of time. The reason I know is that before I turn in my poll, I always see it to compare to mine as a gee wiz.

ElCid
August 31st, 2016, 11:27 PM

1) I don't believe they did last year
2) I have always seen it update by Sunday, but not sure of time. The reason I know is that before I turn in my poll, I always see it to compare to mine as a gee wiz.

They actually did update them. Not sure when they did it.

NDSU is obviously still #1. CSU moved up one, but some other teams (tied to them from last year) moved as well up or down.