PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Rankings...Get The Chatter Started Fella's

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2016, 02:58 PM
The AGS Poll opens tomorrow for the Preseason Ranking. We have been doing some conference stuff so that sets a standard for sure but overall what teams do you think will be stepping into the Top 25 this season as opposed to last, and which will be stepping out?

That's right, the AGS Poll Preseason voting opens tomorrow, I can not believe it myself.

It closes 08/01/2016 at Noon ET as it always does.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 25th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Elite teams heading into the year? Tossing around these names for the Top 5...

NDSU
Northern Iowa
Richmond
Chattanooga
Sam Houston State
Montana
South Dakota State

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2016, 04:17 PM

NDSU
Northern Iowa
Richmond
Chattanooga
Sam Houston State
Montana
South Dakota State

No Jax St. in the mix?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 25th, 2016, 04:20 PM
No Jax St. in the mix?

I don't think I'd have them in the top 5 at the start. Definitely Top 10. I feel there was a good amount of turnover down there. I'll wait to see how the new faces blend in...

JSUSoutherner
July 25th, 2016, 04:22 PM
No Jax St. in the mix?
This.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2016, 04:36 PM
I don't think I'd have them in the top 5 at the start. Definitely Top 10. I feel there was a good amount of turnover down there. I'll wait to see how the new faces blend in...

In comparison to the other teams on the list...I don't think it is overly dramatic.

mvemjsunpx
July 25th, 2016, 04:38 PM
No Jax St. in the mix?

They're still the favorite in the OVC, but they don't look like a championship contender this time.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2016, 04:41 PM
They're still the favorite in the OVC, but they don't look like a championship contender this time.

Definitely could be but I'd have a hard time not putting them top 5 but maybe I need to look it over a little bit more.

JSUSoutherner
July 25th, 2016, 04:50 PM
In comparison to the other teams on the list...I don't think it is overly dramatic.
This.

I think a lot of people are overly concerned with who we lost (which yes, was quite a bit) and not looking at who all we brought back and brought in. I personally think reloaded really well this offseason. There are still a couple questions on defense but it's not from a lack of talent. And our offense may very well be even better than last year. I personally think JSU is a solid top 5 pick based on how the team is shaping up on paper but I can understand the hesitation. I do think we have the talent on defense to help combat the turnover. Hopefully a lot of questions will be answered early in the season.

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Preseason poll? PRESEASON POLL?!

FOOTBALL IS ALMOST HERE!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160725/19600e84cd7d0759525fb65071595438.gif

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Grizalltheway
July 25th, 2016, 05:03 PM

NDSU
Northern Iowa
Richmond
Chattanooga
Sam Houston State
Montana
South Dakota State

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Griz this year (like most years) but I wouldn't throw them into the top 5 discussion just yet. Too many unproven commodities IMO.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2016, 05:06 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Griz this year (like most years) but I wouldn't throw them into the top 5 discussion just yet. Too many unproven commodities IMO.

Agree.

BisonTru
July 25th, 2016, 05:13 PM

NDSU
Northern Iowa
Richmond
Chattanooga
Sam Houston State
Montana
South Dakota State

I'm going to have a hard time putting SHSU above JSU. The Cocks destroyed them in the playoffs. I know the BearKats are returning a lot, but JSU still kept some really talented players from their runner up squad.

My "not set in stone yet" top three will probably be NDSU, Richmond, JSU.

JSUSoutherner
July 25th, 2016, 05:31 PM
I'm going to have a hard time putting SHSU above JSU. The Cocks destroyed them in the playoffs. I know the BearKats are returning a lot, but JSU still kept some really talented players from their runner up squad.

My "not set in stone yet" top three will probably be NDSU, Richmond, JSU.
I think I will have JSU at four, actually. Behind NDSU, Richmond, and UNI. I can't justify a top three spot for us yet.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I need to email the weekly results to Massey each week as soon as I put this out. It gets very packed on Monday mornings trying to put this thing out. So, every week when I (AGS Poll) publishes these in the usual weekly thread here on AGS I will give a rep shot to the first guy that asks me if I have emailed these to Massey yet.

Schism55
July 25th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Jax St will be a top 5 team for sure. They'll wade thru that conference like Oprah thru a box of ho-ho's.
Doubt that'll serve them well in December on, but we'll find out soon.

Schism55
July 25th, 2016, 06:01 PM
I for one am very interested to see how the Griz look this year. Be curious to see if you guys can reload quickly with that many changes. Rather the big sky conference champ not be in ND xdrunkyx

Grizalltheway
July 25th, 2016, 06:17 PM
I for one am very interested to see how the Griz look this year. Be curious to see if you guys can reload quickly with that many changes. Rather the big sky conference champ not be in ND xdrunkyx

Unless their secondary that let our 3rd string QB throw for 6 TDs is vastly improved, I really don't see that happening.

BisonTru
July 25th, 2016, 06:37 PM
There was a guy the last couple years that put out a sheet on who has what returning as percentage. example: NDSU OL: 60%. Does anyone know if he did it this year? A link would be great, if it exists.

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Unless their secondary that let our 3rd string QB throw for 6 TDs is vastly improved, I really don't see that happening.
This is what I don't get about the UND love.

They all talk about how they are pumped about their defense. But the defense is selling out on stopping the run...in the Big Sky.

Uhhh....That just doesn't seem like a sound strategy in my opinion. If you want to make teams beat you with the pass - the Big Sky isn't the conference. Especially with the likes of EWU and Montana. Granted they don't play those teams this year, but that just means they'll get lucky to hopefully get this type of schedule every so often.

ElCid
July 25th, 2016, 07:29 PM
No reason to not include Jax St in the top 5. Also I was under the impression that Montana was hit hard by graduation...Especially defense, true? Probably have a good team, they usually do, but I am not sure top 5 or 10 right now? I also have Ill St and Portland St hit hard by graduation...true?

Outside of the top 10 I am looking at some teams that did not quite have it together last year but still they look good on paper and should get a look by voters. Some are obvious, some may not be. These include Villanova, Youngstown St., Samford, N Arizona, and E Illinois. I think they may all do well this year.

melloware13
July 25th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I remember in the past there being a list of returning starters prepared by someone. I'm curious if it has been prepared for this year or missed, but usually that is helpful for me

ElCid
July 25th, 2016, 07:35 PM
I remember in the past there being a list of returning starters prepared by someone. I'm curious if it has been prepared for this year or missed, but usually that is helpful for me

Yeah, who did that? More than that, they quantified it by stats (yds, tackles, etc.) for returning/lost players. Very helpful. Doing research on some of these teams is hard.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 25th, 2016, 08:35 PM
No reason to not include Jax St in the top 5. Also I was under the impression that Montana was hit hard by graduation...Especially defense, true? Probably have a good team, they usually do, but I am not sure top 5 or 10 right now? I also have Ill St and Portland St hit hard by graduation...true?

Outside of the top 10 I am looking at some teams that did not quite have it together last year but still they look good on paper and should get a look by voters. Some are obvious, some may not be. These include Villanova, Youngstown St., Samford, N Arizona, and E Illinois. I think they may all do well this year.

I'm not as high on JSU coming into this year as I was with Illinois State last year. JSU has a few more holes to fill. Plus, outside SHSU national runner-ups don't have the greatest track records.

They're schedule to start is no joke, @LSU, Coastal Carolina, @ Liberty.

I'll likely have JSU slotted at #7. I see them at 8-3....

My preseason poll is totally based on where I think teams will finish the year.

JSUSoutherner
July 25th, 2016, 08:38 PM
I'm not as high on JSU coming into this year as I was with Illinois State last year. JSU has a few more holes to fill. Plus, outside SHSU national runner-ups don't have the greatest track records.

They're schedule to start is no joke, @LSU, Coastal Carolina, @ Liberty.

I'll likely have JSU slotted at #7. I see them at 8-3....

My preseason poll is totally based on where I think teams will finish the year.
Losing to who? Other than LSU. Coastal and Liberty? Nah.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 25th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Losing to who? Other than LSU. Coastal and Liberty? Nah.

I think they lose to LSU, Coastal and one league game. I highly doubt they make it through the OVC undefeated three straight years. I''ll play the odds and say they lose a league game. Even if it's to an inferior team...

Having to play Coastal after LSU is brutal. The Tigers are going to physically pound people this year. They're NDSU on steroids...

JSUSoutherner
July 25th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I think they lose to LSU, Coastal and one league game. I highly doubt they make it through the OVC undefeated three straight years. I''ll play the odds and say they lose a league game. Even if it's an inferior team...
I will say this... Never trust the odds.

Though I don't see us losing to Coastal, not at home anyway. I really think Liberty will be our hardest game outside LSU. They've knocked off a lot of teams in Lynchburg. Including Coastal and Montana last year.

If we lose an OVC game I'll change my avatar from the time of the loss until Frisco. I'm pretty sure we could put Hellen Keller at quarterback and run the OVC. Because arrogance.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 25th, 2016, 08:51 PM
I will say this... Never trust the odds.

Though I don't see us losing to Coastal, not at home anyway. I really think Liberty will be our hardest game outside LSU. They've knocked off a lot of teams in Lynchburg. Including Coastal and Montana last year.

It's the compounding effect of those 3 games. Night game in Death Valley against an extremely physical team Top 10 FBS team, home game against a real solid transitioning CCU program followed by a tough road game in a hostile environment against Liberty. I think JSU goes 1-2 in that 3 game stretch....

FearTheBeak
July 25th, 2016, 08:58 PM
It's the compounding effect of those 3 games. Night game in Death Valley against an extremely physical team Top 10 FBS team, home game against a real solid transitioning CCU program followed by a tough road game in a hostile environment against Liberty. I think JSU goes 1-2 in that 3 game stretch....
CCU will be a hard game coming off that LSU game, but I think we have enough to get past them. If we come out of week 4 with 1 loss, we will be fine.
Our conference is just weak at the moment.

JSUSoutherner
July 25th, 2016, 09:00 PM
CCU will be a hard game coming off that LSU game, but I think we have enough to get past them. If we come out of week 4 with 1 loss, we will be fine.
Our conference is just weak at the moment.
Yeah, I'm not worried about the OVC. Thankfully our bye week is after the Liberty game so we will have some down time before the conference grind.

ElCid
July 25th, 2016, 09:10 PM

I don't know. I think they win both Coastal and Liberty, the latter team getting less respect than they deserve in any event. The impact of CCU transitioning this coming year will be nil. Still a tough team. But if App St and Ga So were any indication they may actually be off their game with nothing to win. I am not so sure LSU is any tougher than say, Auburn was last year. A tough scheduling run to be sure, but I think they handle CCU at home and Liberty, albeit maybe closely. But I will grant they could blow it.

One thing for sure though, LSU will not be taking JSU for granted. If they do, they are idiots. I think after JSUs performance at Auburn and WCUs performance (at least in the first half) at A&M, and of course my Dogs performance in Columbia last year will have taught the SEC to not overlook anyone.

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2016, 09:36 PM
It all depends upon how close they are to beating LSU...if it's close and they have an emotional letdown they probably will destroy the next team.

If they get blown out they all destroy the next team.

If they go down swinging they have a good chance to have a letdown like NDSU against USD last year.

Just my two cents.

JSUSoutherner
July 25th, 2016, 09:44 PM
It all depends upon how close they are to beating LSU...if it's close and they have an emotional letdown they probably will destroy the next team.

If they get blown out they all destroy the next team.

If they go down swinging they have a good chance to have a letdown like NDSU against USD last year.

Just my two cents.

It all depends on Fournette. He's pretty much their whole offense.

dewey
July 25th, 2016, 10:21 PM
There was a guy the last couple years that put out a sheet on who has what returning as percentage. example: NDSU OL: 60%. Does anyone know if he did it this year? A link would be great, if it exists.

IIRC this is the thread from last year. The link is broken so I cannot verify this is the right one but I think it is.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170358-Returning-experience-numbers

Dewey

BisonTru
July 25th, 2016, 10:28 PM
IIRC this is the thread from last year. The link is broken so I cannot verify this is the right one but I think it is.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170358-Returning-experience-numbers

Dewey

Yep thats what I was talking about. It looks like he hasn't been on here since October so we may be out of luck. Might be something we could do as a community. I'm sure one of us sparce Bison fans could get NDSU done.

dewey
July 25th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Yep thats what I was talking about. It looks like he hasn't been on here since October so we may be out of luck. Might be something we could do as a community. I'm sure one of us sparce Bison fans could get NDSU done.

I would like to nominate Clenz to do thisxthumbsupx. Clenz may already have this done for the MVFC teams from his talk of the MVFC Fantasy football league.

I could take care of NDSU and possibly a few others.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2016, 11:33 PM

clanz and I started working on this about a month ago. clenz mostly, me with some ideas really. Anyway, it definitely should be a community project and I'll get in touch with him so we can crowd source a decent result quickly.

The sheets are already made and so forth so maybe by tomorrow we can distribute it to a few people.

MTfan4life
July 25th, 2016, 11:37 PM
http://www.keepratings.net/

This is that "Keeper" poster's website. It does appear he has a compilation put together. It doesn't have the percentage figures, nor any sort of rankings or conference breakdowns. It was helpful in the couple preseason conference polls I was able to do, though.

BisonTru
July 25th, 2016, 11:40 PM
clanz and I started working on this about a month ago. clenz mostly, me with some ideas really. Anyway, it definitely should be a community project and I'll get in touch with him so we can crowd source a decent result quickly.

The sheets are already made and so forth so maybe by tomorrow we can distribute it to a few people.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the MVFC is probably covered, but I'd pitch in to cover one of the lesser covered conference. Might be a little busy with work this week, but I'm sure I can find sometime in the evenings to do some data entry.

FormerPokeCenter
July 25th, 2016, 11:47 PM
I think they lose to LSU, Coastal and one league game. I highly doubt they make it through the OVC undefeated three straight years. I''ll play the odds and say they lose a league game. Even if it's to an inferior team...

Having to play Coastal after LSU is brutal. The Tigers are going to physically pound people this year. They're NDSU on steroids...

Les Miles isn't going to run up the score on an FCS team....he's just NOT gonna do it. It'll be a relatively low scoring affair.

Something to watch for is he's NOT gonna call the game like he would against an SEC team. He's gonna put LSU's kids in down and distance situations and he's gonna call stupid stuff to make them work.

He's gonna keep that game artificially close.

If JSU can get a break or two and surprise them, that can work in your favor. Miles is gonna wanna see how LSU handles some "adversity"...so he's gonna create it with play selection.

If JSU can do themselves some favors, they can surprise some people. Can they win?

Well, you know what they say about Any Given Saturday...

The odds are long. I think a more realistic expectation is for JSU to play them closer than anybody expects...

FormerPokeCenter
July 25th, 2016, 11:49 PM
It all depends on Fournette. He's pretty much their whole offense.

It's dangerous to think that....Brandon Harris is the real deal....He's got a fantastic arm and LSU's receivers are pretty good....I don't look for them to let Harris open up the playbook though....Fournette's a great back, but if you can get to him in the backfield, you've got a chance to stop him.

BisonTru
July 25th, 2016, 11:52 PM

This is that "Keeper" poster's website. It does appear he has a compilation put together. It doesn't have the percentage figures, nor any sort of rankings or conference breakdowns. It was helpful in the couple preseason conference polls I was able to do, though.

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Interesting to look at his work. Illinois State, a team that's been popular to pick as a potential down year, actually lost the fewest amount of starters in the MVFC. They do lose a lot of stats, tho.

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2016, 05:17 AM
It's dangerous to think that....Brandon Harris is the real deal....He's got a fantastic arm and LSU's receivers are pretty good....I don't look for them to let Harris open up the playbook though....Fournette's a great back, but if you can get to him in the backfield, you've got a chance to stop him.
Fournette had almost as many rushing yards as Harris did passing yards last year. Harris missed half of his throws last year. They are replacing most of their o-line. I wouldn't be surprised if we try to send pressure to get him uncomfortable like we did with Jeremy Johnson. If we can get a turnover or force them into a third and long situation I like our odds because I don't trust Harris to make all those throws like Wentz.

I'm more worried about Arden Key than Branden Harris because if WE get into third and long he won't make it easy.

dewey
July 26th, 2016, 08:20 AM

If you guys need some help putting this together let me know and I can take a few teams. I would probably just need the spreadsheet used and a general idea of what is the most efficient way of pulling the information together.

Dewey

Trumpster
July 26th, 2016, 08:38 AM
What are people's general thoughts on the quality AGS preseason conference lists?

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Below is a list of about 45 teams that should perform well in 2016 and are on my list for potential top 25 teams in my preseason poll.

Southern Utah
Portland State
Montana
Northern Arizona
North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Weber State
Charleston Southern
Liberty
Coastal Carolina ---- Are they ineligible to be ranked?
Richmond
William & Mary
James Madison
Towson
Villanova
New Hampshire
Stony Brook
Dartmouth
Harvard
NC A&T
NC Central
Bethune Cookman
Illinois State
NDSU
Western Illinois
Northern Iowa
SDSU
Youngstown State
Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois
Tenn-Martin
Eastern Kentucky
Colgate
Fordham
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Chattanooga
Citadel
Western Carolina
Samford
McNeese
SHSU
Central Arkansas
Alcorn State

clenz
July 26th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I don't have a special sheet, just a formula for getting "fantasy numbers". If we get people for each conference going I will be glad to share.

It is a chore but does create some interesting metrics to look at - like WIU is far and away the "best" team returning in the MVFC and UNI has one of the 2 or 3 worst defenses...

The only drawback to my system is there is no way to "rank" OL.

McNeese75
July 26th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Les Miles isn't going to run up the score on an FCS team....he's just NOT gonna do it. It'll be a relatively low scoring affair.

Something to watch for is he's NOT gonna call the game like he would against an SEC team. He's gonna put LSU's kids in down and distance situations and he's gonna call stupid stuff to make them work.

He's gonna keep that game artificially close.

If JSU can get a break or two and surprise them, that can work in your favor. Miles is gonna wanna see how LSU handles some "adversity"...so he's gonna create it with play selection.

If JSU can do themselves some favors, they can surprise some people. Can they win?

Well, you know what they say about Any Given Saturday...

The odds are long. I think a more realistic expectation is for JSU to play them closer than anybody expects...

Ask the Bearkat fans about that not running up the score thing xlolx

After Auburn's escape last year, I would not be surprised to see the Tigers try to bury JSU (without opening up the playbook)

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2016, 09:41 AM

After Auburn's escape last year, I would not be surprised to see the Tigers try to bury JSU (without opening up the playbook)
Their opener against Wisconsin will definitely be a game to watch.

McNeese75
July 26th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Their opener against Wisconsin will definitely be a game to watch.

Yes indeed. I wanted to go to that game but I am not skipping a Cowboy game for it. Lambeau is a great venue and anyone who has not gone there for a game, should do it!

Daytripper
July 26th, 2016, 10:26 AM

Yeah, they dropped 60 on us. But it could've been worse.

Sammy94
July 26th, 2016, 11:06 AM

whatever

Death Valley is no joke, the JSU game won't be close. BTW Is this going to be a 2016 pre-season poll or we still talking 2015?

Twentysix
July 26th, 2016, 11:20 AM
The poll is supposed to be open now, right?

Where do we vote?

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 26th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Below is a list of about 45 teams that should perform well in 2016 and are on my list for potential top 25 teams in my preseason poll.

Southern Utah
Portland State
Montana
Northern Arizona
North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Weber State
Charleston Southern
Liberty
Richmond
William & Mary
James Madison
Towson
Villanova
New Hampshire
Stony Brook
Dartmouth
Harvard
NC A&T
NC Central
Bethune Cookman
Illinois State
NDSU
Western Illinois
Northern Iowa
SDSU
Youngstown State
Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois
Tenn-Martin
Eastern Kentucky
Colgate
Fordham
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Chattanooga
Citadel
Western Carolina
Samford
McNeese
SHSU
Central Arkansas
Alcorn State
I'm not voting for Coastal.

Twentysix
July 26th, 2016, 11:22 AM

Agreed.

ElCid
July 26th, 2016, 11:24 AM

Agreed.

They will not even be on the ballot. Ineligible. I already checked.

Catatonic
July 26th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Good list with the exception of Coastal Carolina. I'd drop Coastal and add SF Austin.

Southern Utah
Portland State
Montana
Northern Arizona
North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Weber State
Charleston Southern
Liberty
Richmond
William & Mary
James Madison
Towson
Villanova
New Hampshire
Stony Brook
Dartmouth
Harvard
NC A&T
NC Central
Bethune Cookman
Illinois State
NDSU
Western Illinois
Northern Iowa
SDSU
Youngstown State
Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois
Tenn-Martin
Eastern Kentucky
Colgate
Fordham
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Chattanooga
Citadel
Western Carolina
Samford
McNeese
SHSU
Central Arkansas
Alcorn State

IBleedYellow
July 26th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Suppose the Coastal posters aren't going to be around anymore.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2016, 11:41 AM
I don't have a special sheet, just a formula for getting "fantasy numbers". If we get people for each conference going I will be glad to share.

It is a chore but does create some interesting metrics to look at - like WIU is far and away the "best" team returning in the MVFC and UNI has one of the 2 or 3 worst defenses...

The only drawback to my system is there is no way to "rank" OL.

We weren't talking about the fantasy thing earlier on clenzy, we were talking about a "coming back" type of thing? Did you evolve this into something else I take it.

I want a "coming back" ran through AGS so if what we were talking about isn't going ot be done for all conferences then I'll start something else on my own? Don't know what is going on with it is why I ask.

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Good list with the exception of Coastal Carolina. I'd drop Coastal and add SF Austin.
I'd also take off UTM and replace them with SEMO.

BTW Is this going to be a 2016 pre-season poll or we still talking 2015?
Yeah, I'd want to forget about 2015 too if I were a Kat fan. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2016, 11:42 AM

Southern Utah
Portland State
Montana
Northern Arizona
North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Weber State
Charleston Southern
Liberty
Richmond
William & Mary
James Madison
Towson
Villanova
New Hampshire
Stony Brook
Dartmouth
Harvard
NC A&T
NC Central
Bethune Cookman
Illinois State
NDSU
Western Illinois
Northern Iowa
SDSU
Youngstown State
Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois
Tenn-Martin
Eastern Kentucky
Colgate
Fordham
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Chattanooga
Citadel
Western Carolina
Samford
McNeese
SHSU
Central Arkansas
Alcorn State

CCU is not included.

Not eligible for playoffs, not eligible for FCS conference championship, not in the AGS Poll.

Great list to put out as a starting point miller!

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2016, 11:49 AM
The poll is supposed to be open now, right?

Where do we vote?

It is in the special poll voter forum and also an email was just sent. Opened it a little after Noon ET cuz I didn't think anybody was raring to go yet...and I needed a Diet Mountain Dew to piss WRF off before I got to working on office crap. xlolx

clenz
July 26th, 2016, 11:52 AM
We weren't talking about the fantasy thing earlier on clenzy, we were talking about a "coming back" type of thing? Did you evolve this into something else I take it.

I want a "coming back" ran through AGS so if what we were talking about isn't going ot be done for all conferences then I'll start something else on my own? Don't know what is going on with it is why I ask.
Same basic forumla. I tweaked a few things to make it better for a weekly thing on the fantasy side.

FUBeAR
July 26th, 2016, 01:49 PM

So, I took this "Keeper" ratings stuff and distilled it down by average O&D Starters Lost AND O&D Production lost and then Averaging those numbers. Using that methodology, not surprised to see that Mercer is Ranked #1 in the US of A for Least Starters & Production Lost. East Tennessee and Kennesaw are up there too - all 'new' programs. Hard to say that with the relative success the Bears had last year - beating the #3 ranked FCS Team in the Country and only losing 1 game by more than a possession - that they shouldn't be pretty darn good this year. Certainly remains to be seen; proof of the ability to WIN more often will have to come on the field, but I would be hard-pressed, if I were an FCS prognosticator, to not have Mercer in the Top 3 in the SoCon and Top 25 in the country. Anyway, below are the numbers/rankings I derived from the Keeper 'returning' stats for the SoCon...

National Rank
Team
O & D Starters Lost Avg
O & D Production Lost % Avg
Avg Starters AND Production Lost Factor

Mercer
8%

ETSU
13%

V M I
15%

Wofford
17%

Chattanooga
36%

Furman
29%

The Citadel
30%

Samford
40%

WCU
41%

The Yo Show
July 26th, 2016, 06:07 PM
As a first year voter, I feel alot of pressure right now, don't want to let the AGS community down. :(

geaux_sioux
July 26th, 2016, 06:31 PM
I chock that game up as a major fluke. That result was 1 in 100 and about as poor as UND could have done. One thing that is interesting is on 5 of those TD passes our DBs were in really good position to make a play but did a terrible job finding the ball. That was coached up for the next game and resulted in multiple ints. The secondary will be very improved this season.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2016, 07:04 PM
As a first year voter, I feel alot of pressure right now, don't want to let the AGS community down. :(

As long as you don't get fooled by 9-2 Pioneer League records you'll be fine.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2016, 07:11 PM
I chock that game up as a major fluke. That result was 1 in 100 and about as poor as UND could have done. One thing that is interesting is on 5 of those TD passes our DBs were in really good position to make a play but did a terrible job finding the ball. That was coached up for the next game and resulted in multiple ints. The secondary will be very improved this season.

So... They just weren't that good?

Also, you played Montana State the very next game so it didn't take a lot of "coaching up"

The Yo Show
July 26th, 2016, 07:18 PM
As long as you don't get fooled by 9-2 Pioneer League records you'll be fine.

I won't be fooled by that, but I know people are going to think I'm too high on certain teams. I'll just promise to improve week after week too. My first ballot here is somewhat challenging. Been mulling it over for well over 2 hours now, and I don't quite have all 25 spots filled either. xrotatehx

Grizalltheway
July 26th, 2016, 07:29 PM

You're telling me an entire group of Division 1 DBs didn't know how to find the ball??

Time will tell I guess.

geaux_sioux
July 26th, 2016, 07:32 PM
So... They just weren't that good?

Also, you played Montana State the very next game so it didn't take a lot of "coaching up"
MSU didn't have issues on offense. They averaged 44 pts/gm. There's a reason Oregon took their QB.

geaux_sioux
July 26th, 2016, 07:34 PM
You're telling me an entire group of Division 1 DBs didn't know how to find the ball??

Time will tell I guess.
That's why I called the game a fluke.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2016, 07:39 PM
MSU didn't have issues on offense. They averaged 44 pts/gm. There's a reason Oregon took their QB.

Montana State didn't play very well last year as most MSU fans would agree. I don't care how many points they were averaging, that is not the be all end all. Bottom line is they were 5-6 and were not a playoff team last year. I was never impressed with Dakota Prukop. Best of luck to him at Oregon.

FWIW, Montana State still threw 3 TDs against UND last year. UND picked MSU off twice.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 26th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Montana State didn't play very well last year as most MSU fans would agree. I don't care how many points they were averaging, that is not the be all end all. Bottom line is they were 5-6 and were not a playoff team last year. I was never impressed with Dakota Prukop. Best of luck to him at Oregon.

FWIW, Montana State still threw 3 TDs against UND last year. UND picked MSU off twice.

Until they pay attention to their defense, Montana State will always be a paper tiger.

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I chock that game up as a major fluke.
You know you guys gave up an average of 2.5 passing TDs per game and gave up an average of 260 passing yards a game.

You guys ranked 114th in passing yards allowed. Austin Peay ranked 95th.

It wasn't a fluke. Your secondary was just trash.

geaux_sioux
July 26th, 2016, 08:34 PM
You know you guys gave up an average of 2.5 passing TDs per game and gave up an average of 260 passing yards a game.

Giving up 6 TD passes to a third string qb is a fluke. Like you said we averaged 2.5 so 6 was pretty far from the norm.

Schism55
July 26th, 2016, 08:45 PM

How dare you bring logic into this thread :D

Thumper 76
July 26th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Giving up 6 TD passes to a third string qb is a fluke. Like you said we averaged 2.5 so 6 was pretty far from the norm.

It's not THAT much of a fluke if you're one of the worst pass defenses in the country playing in a conference known for airing it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
July 26th, 2016, 09:02 PM

UND would beat JSU in 2016, book it

BisonTru
July 26th, 2016, 09:13 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-50550-carrie-keagen-yawn-gif-Imgur-T-UDrT.gif

Oh, I love this time of year. All this hope for you bird lovers. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Giving up an above average amount of TD passes against a pass heavy offense? You don't say?

Bring them on.

POD Knows
July 26th, 2016, 09:50 PM
Giving up an above average amount of TD passes against a pass heavy offense? You don't say?

Bring them on.

Well, I am not really in control of scheduling. I just think that the fact that the OVC sucks and the fact that NDSU beat JSU like a useless bitch, UND might actually have a chance at beating a paper tiger. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Well, I am not really in control of scheduling. I just think that the fact that the OVC sucks and the fact that NDSU beat JSU like a useless bitch, UND might actually have a chance at beating a paper tiger. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.
Yeah. You're right. We suck.

BisonTru
July 26th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Put this together as a summary of Keeper's work.

Starters Lost Rank
Stats Lost Rank
Final '15 AGS Poll
Starters
Stats

Lost
Lost

North Dakota State
27%

Jacksonville State
47%

Richmond
32%

Northern Iowa
39%

Illinois State
46%

Sam Houston State
42%

Charleston Southern
37%

Chattanooga
36%

Portland State
36%

McNeese State
47%

The Citadel
30%

Montana
47%

Colgate
18%

South Dakota State
29%

James Madison
27%

William & Mary
31%

Southern Utah
35%

Coastal Carolina
38%

Western Illinois
24%

Fordham
17%

Harvard
62%

New Hampshire
43%

North Dakota
27%

Eastern Illinois
51%

Dartmouth
69%

Northern Arizona
30%

Duquesne
38%

North Carolina A&T
23%

Towson
39%

Western Carolina
41%

Dayton
28%

Youngstown State
24%

Central Arkansas
46%

Tennessee-Martin
55%

Pennsylvania
35%

Villanova
43%

Bethune-Cookman
41%

Southern Illinois
42%

Eastern Washington
27%

Samford
40%

Kennesaw State

7%

Mercer

8%

Houston Baptist

10%

Delaware

11%

East Tennessee State

13%

Central Connecticut

14%

V M I

15%

Tennessee State

16%

Wofford

17%

Robert Morris

18%

Albany

18%

Jackson State

18%

Florida A&M

19%

Weber State

19%

Northern Colorado

20%

UC-Davis

20%

Holy Cross

22%

Texas Southern

22%

Bucknell

22%

Lafayette

23%

Alabama State

23%

SE Missouri

24%

Abilene Christian

24%

Missouri State

25%

San Diego

26%

North Carolina Central

26%

Mississippi Valley

26%

Monmouth

27%

Austin Peay

27%

Alabama A&M

27%

Howard

28%

Incarnate Word

28%

Maine

28%

Elon

29%

Rhode Island

29%

Yale

29%

Savannah State

29%

Morgan State

29%

Furman

29%

Cornell

30%

Lehigh

30%

St Francis-PA

31%

Norfolk State

31%

Stephen F Austin

32%

Nicholls State

32%

Gardner-Webb

32%

Princeton

32%

Sacramento State

32%

South Dakota

33%

Tennessee Tech

33%

Arkansas-Pine Bluff

35%

Prairie View

35%

Southern U

35%

Grambling

35%

Stony Brook

36%

Columbia

36%

Davidson

36%

Valparaiso

37%

Morehead State

37%

Butler

38%

Sacred Heart

38%

Stetson

40%

Indiana State

40%

South Carolina State

41%

Jacksonville

42%

Northwestern State

44%

Marist

45%

Brown

46%

Murray State

46%

Eastern Kentucky

46%

Presbyterian

47%

Georgetown

47%

Alcorn State

47%

Liberty

47%

Montana State

47%

Delaware State

48%

Drake

49%

Cal Poly

49%

Bryant

49%

Campbell

51%

Lamar

51%

Wagner

53%

SE Louisiana

54%

Idaho State

57%

Hampton

58%

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Put this together as a summary of Keeper's work.

Starters Lost Rank
Stats Lost Rank
Final '15 AGS Poll
Starters
Stats

Lost
Lost

Jacksonville State
47%

We're doomed.

PantherRob82
July 26th, 2016, 10:49 PM
1. Dayton
2. CCU
3. UND
4. Dartmouth
5. Southern Speed

geaux_sioux
July 27th, 2016, 12:35 AM
The Griz passed the ball 552 times and rushed 507 time so yea they're pass heavy....

jsualumnus
July 27th, 2016, 12:48 AM
We're doomed.

It's amazing watching jackass after jackass speak. It's like watching the Democratic Convention spew their crap over and over. I'm glad POD stated JSU was NDSU's useless little bitch in the NC game. It kinda gives us a feeling of what UND has felt like year after year.

Sammy94
July 27th, 2016, 08:14 AM
the fact that NDSU beat JSU like a useless bitch

Yep.

These current runner up fans sure remind me of.... well myself after the 2011 season.

UNDColorado
July 27th, 2016, 08:35 AM
In regard to MSU nobody had mentioned:

- They were ranked when we beat them
- Their two loses after us were to BSC champs SUU and playoff team Montana

They weren't a great team but their offense was so you had to put up points to beat them. At the end of the day this is all BS talk and the 2016 season just needs to start so we can let play decide these things.

clenz
July 27th, 2016, 09:05 AM
In regard to MSU nobody had mentioned:

- They were ranked when we beat them

Doesn't matter....not even in the slightest...for about 10,0000000000000,00000.693 examples of it not mattering.

Poly was ranked when UNI curb stomped them. Does that make it more impressive? They still finished the season something like 4-7
MSU game up at least 28 points in 7 of their 10 D1 games.
MSU was 4-6 against D1 teams
MSU's D1 wins?
Cal Poly who finished 4-7 with wins over Idaho State, Sac State and Montana (first week)
Sac State who finished 2-9 and their only D1 win was Idaho State
ETSU who was a first year program and won only NAIA games
Idaho State who was 2-9 and their only D1 win was North Dakota

Congrats to MSU for being the best of the worst?

Was MSU really ranked on October 31st as they sat there at 4-3 and 3-3 vs D1? Who in their damn minds would have ranked them?

clenz
July 27th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Did some looking. They were 25th in the AGS poll...76 points behind 24th.

The reason they were still ranked? Name. Look at the teams behind them at that point

South Dakota Coyotes
Lost at #18 Northern Iowa Panthers 7-20 (http://unipanthers.com/news/2015/10/31/FB_1031150448.aspx)

4-4

North Carolina A&T Aggies
Won at Florida A&M Rattlers 28-10 (http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2015/10/31/famu-rattlers-fall-aggies-senior-night/74980694/)

7-1

Youngstown State Penguins
Won at #19 Western Illinois Leathernecks 23-21 (http://wkbn.com/2015/10/31/ysu-grabs-win-over-western-illinois/)

4-4

Western Carolina Catamounts
Lost at #4 Chattanooga Mocs 13-41 (http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/103115aaa.html)

5-3

Dayton Flyers
Won vs Jacksonville Dolphins 31-14 (http://www.news4jax.com/sports/ju-falls-to-dayton/36179886)

8-0

Southern Illinois Salukis
Lost vs #6 North Dakota State Bison 29-35 (http://www.inforum.com/sports/3873295-bison-use-potent-running-attack-defeat-southern-illinois)

3-5

Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
Lost at (FBS) Arkansas Razorbacks 28-63 (http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=400603871)

5-3

Southeastern Louisiana Lions
Lost at Central Arkansas Bears 16-21 (http://www.lionsports.net/news/2015/10/31/FB_1031153408.aspx)

4-4

Eastern Illinois Panthers
Won at Murray State Racers 34-20 (http://thenews.org/2015/10/31/murray-state-falls-to-eastern-illinois/)

5-3

Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
Won vs Northern Colorado Bears 63-21 (http://azdailysun.com/sports/college/nau-lumberjacks/cookus-ties-touchdown-record-as-nau-cruises-past-northern-colorado/article_92498556-489d-5f77-8ec7-ec6f31cd7326.html)

5-3

Towson Tigers
Won vs Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens 19-0 (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bs-sp-towson-delaware-1101-20151031-story.html)

5-3

Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
Won at Delaware State Hornets 49-21 (http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/2015/10/31/hornets-fall-bethune-cookman-49-21/74978036/)

7-2

Cal Poly Mustangs
Lost at #17 Southern Utah Thunderbirds 37-54 (http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/college/cal-poly/article42116928.html)

2-6

Grambling State Tigers
BYE

6-2

#40 (t)
Brown Bears
Lost vs Penn Quakers 28-48 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gametracker/recap/NCAAF_20151031_PA@BRO/penn-dominates-brown-in-48-28-win)

4-3

#40 (t)
Liberty Flames
BYE

4-4

That's hideous.

geaux_sioux
July 27th, 2016, 09:22 AM
It's amazing watching jackass after jackass speak. It's like watching the Democratic Convention spew their crap over and over. I'm glad POD stated JSU was NDSU's useless little bitch in the NC game. It kinda gives us a feeling of what UND has felt like year after year.
And that is why UND holds a healthy lead in the head to head matchup with NDSU, because we're their bitch.

UNDColorado
July 27th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Doesn't matter....not even in the slightest...for about 10,0000000000000,00000.693 examples of it not mattering.

Poly was ranked when UNI curb stomped them. Does that make it more impressive? They still finished the season something like 4-7
MSU game up at least 28 points in 7 of their 10 D1 games.
MSU was 4-6 against D1 teams
MSU's D1 wins?
Cal Poly who finished 4-7 with wins over Idaho State, Sac State and Montana (first week)
Sac State who finished 2-9 and their only D1 win was Idaho State
ETSU who was a first year program and won only NAIA games
Idaho State who was 2-9 and their only D1 win was North Dakota

Congrats to MSU for being the best of the worst?

Was MSU really ranked on October 31st as they sat there at 4-3 and 3-3 vs D1? Who in their damn minds would have ranked them?

I see I struck a nerve. You didn't address my second point, but instead went off on a tangent on all games leading up to ours but conveniently left out the remaining three. You argue like a democrat xlolx

clenz
July 27th, 2016, 10:30 AM
I see I struck a nerve. You didn't address my second point, but instead went off on a tangent on all games leading up to ours but conveniently left out the remaining three. You argue like a democrat xlolx
You're second point is dumb.

"They lost to the two decent teams they had left on the schedule"

That's one of the dumbest talking points of all time.

dewey
July 27th, 2016, 11:08 AM
And that is why UND holds a healthy lead in the head to head matchup with NDSU, because we're their bitch.

Congratulations on leading the all time series. Every NDSU fan I know would rather have the 13 National Championships.

Dewey

F'N Hawks
July 27th, 2016, 11:23 AM
1. Dayton
2. CCU
3. UND
4. Dartmouth
5. Southern Speed

Northern Iowa should be #1 for sure. If it wasn't for this, that, and the other they would have so many FCS national championships it's unbelievable. Just can't catch a break...for like 40 years now.

Jackal
July 27th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Lol

PantherRob82
July 27th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Northern Iowa should be #1 for sure. If it wasn't for this, that, and the other they would have so many FCS national championships it's unbelievable. Just can't catch a break...for like 40 years now.

I'd say our biggest issue is UND getting mad and working out all year. xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
July 27th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Exactly 1 month to go until FCS football starts again! This next month needs to go by faster.

Bisonoline
July 27th, 2016, 08:10 PM

xlolxxthumbsupx

geaux_sioux
July 27th, 2016, 08:26 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23018&stc=1

BisonTru
July 27th, 2016, 08:27 PM

Plus they are adding that intimidating dove logo. xcoolx

POD Knows
July 28th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Yea, I was a little harsh here, but with all of the pent up anger from the 2015 playoff snub and the low BMI measurements for UND football players as a result of the weightlifting, I figured a head to head matchup between UND and JSU would be just a formality.

My dig at JSU was probably a result of my "displeasure" with the parings, I simply didn't feel that the two best teams were in the finals. That was just my opinion and I am usually wrong but it is what it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if NDSU met JSU again in Frisco, who knows.

JSUSoutherner
July 28th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Yea, I was a little harsh here, but with all of the pent up anger from the 2015 playoff snub and the low BMI measurements for UND football players as a result of the weightlifting, I figured a head to head matchup between UND and JSU would be just a formality.

My dig at JSU was probably a result of my "displeasure" with the parings, I simply didn't feel that the two best teams were in the finals. That was just my opinion and I am usually wrong but it is what it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if NDSU met JSU again in Frisco, who knows.
It would be a formality. It wouldn't be even close to a game. Because Eli and Barge would have a Feild day with UND's secondary. xlolx

POD Knows
July 28th, 2016, 09:05 AM
It would be a formality. It wouldn't be even close to a game. Because Eli and Barge would have a Feild day with UND's secondary. xlolx

You are probably right, I would be a JSU homer if that game ever came about, maybe you can get those guys in the playoffs down in Dixie. Stranger things have happened.

F'N Hawks
July 28th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Yikes that was a bad comeback. Take a week off.

UNIFanSince1983
July 28th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Yikes that was a bad comeback. Take a week off.

Shouldn't you change your handle to Fighting Hawk?

JSUSoutherner
July 28th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I bet the UND fans are about to tell you to F'Hawk off.

clenz
July 28th, 2016, 09:58 AM
He's been so busy in the weight room he hasn't had time for such things

F'N Hawks
July 28th, 2016, 10:31 AM

How does a guy change it? Ursus?

F'N Hawks
July 28th, 2016, 10:34 AM
He's been so busy in the weight room he hasn't had time for such things

I don't play for the team so I only lift four times a week. Do legs every third Thursday.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2016, 11:12 AM
How does a guy change it? Ursus?

You can if you want to, not done very often but if you want to I'll get ya fixed up. Just pm me.

UNDColorado
July 28th, 2016, 12:03 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23024&stc=1

It was a long summer in the weight room and they guys are jacked up and ready.

Thumper 76
July 28th, 2016, 04:45 PM
I don't play for the team so I only lift four times a week. Do legs every third Thursday.

xlolx http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/625801fa588a14eb186a2f11cadfad5f.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 28th, 2016, 05:31 PM
xlolx http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/625801fa588a14eb186a2f11cadfad5f.jpg

LOL....chicken legs and a big upper body.....just say No!!!!!

RootinFerDukes
July 29th, 2016, 08:10 AM
I have submitted my first AGS Poll. I hope my vote actually counts here. Dukes are #1 btw. NDSU is GOING DOWN!

POD Knows
July 29th, 2016, 08:27 AM
I am in too and NDSU is #1.

Twentysix
July 29th, 2016, 09:45 AM
I have submitted my first AGS Poll. Dukes are #1 btw. NDSU is GOING DOWN!

Good luck.

TheKingpin28
July 29th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Submitted but man was that tough after about 15 or so.

clenz
July 29th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Anyone have links for outside preseason polls they can post?

SU DOG
July 29th, 2016, 11:27 AM
This one came out a few days ago, and I don't recall if it has been discussed on here or not.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/nau-ranked-no-13-in-the-sporting-news-preseason-poll-071516

Twentysix
July 29th, 2016, 11:53 AM
This one came out a few days ago, and I don't recall if it has been discussed on here or not.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/nau-ranked-no-13-in-the-sporting-news-preseason-poll-071516

Wow 6 big sky teams in the top 25. That league is gonna be so deep this year. xlolx

dewey
July 29th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I will do some searching and post them here as I find them.

Athlon preseason poll.
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-fcs-preseason-top-25-2016

The Sporting News Preseason FCS poll.

Here is something called "Computer Ratings" ranking of all FCS teams.
http://www.compughterratings.com/FCS/rankings

Here are Hero Sports rankings from July 2016.
http://herosports.com/rankings/college-fcs-mens-football

Dewey

clenz
July 29th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Wow 6 big sky teams in the top 25. That league is gonna be so deep this year. xlolx
Does it mean anything when it's not even half the damn league?

Twentysix
July 29th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I will do some searching and post them here as I find them.

Athlon preseason poll.
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-fcs-preseason-top-25-2016

Dewey

Only 4 big sky teams in the top 25, all from 15-25, man that league is gonna be weak this year. xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

Does it mean anything when it's not even half the damn league?

How many teams in the big sky can potentially go undefeated in league play simultaenously?

clenz
July 29th, 2016, 11:58 AM
How many teams in the big sky can potentially go undefeated in league play simultaenously?
I like stat puzzles but I'm not about to try to sort that one out...

I've got money on 2..maybe 3

FUBeAR
July 29th, 2016, 12:03 PM

Glad to see the SoCon getting its due respect, but I wonder what is the basis for ranking Wofford #19 in this poll. And, ahead of last year's Co-Champion, El Cid at #21. I could see Samford and WCU and, even Mercer (if the prognosticators are really doing their homework) being ranked in the Top 25, but I just don't see the possible logic behind putting Wofford in there. And before you LittleDog fans start yelling at me, I ain't saying the Terriers aren't capable of running the table in the SoCon and going deep in the playoffs. In fact, I think any team in the SoCon, except ETSU (this year) very well may have that potential; just don't understand the justification for that ranking. Maybe, they have some inside scoop that the SoCon Media and Coaches don't.

SU DOG
July 29th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I had some of those same thoughts FUBeAR.

BisonFan02
July 31st, 2016, 07:21 PM

He wasn't wrong....we could do whatever we wanted that game.

grizband
July 31st, 2016, 07:35 PM
Just submitted my preseason poll...which is certain to change over the next few weeks!

Twentysix
July 31st, 2016, 07:39 PM
Just submitted my preseason poll...which is certain to change over the next few weeks!

If you weren't completely guessing, you weren't trying hard enough.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 31st, 2016, 10:55 PM
Got mine submitted! I took a couple of chances. I'll know in January how I did....

taper
July 31st, 2016, 11:47 PM
I like stat puzzles but I'm not about to try to sort that one out...

I've got money on 2..maybe 3

I think Montana, UND, and either Portland or UC Davis can share it. I didn't try to split out the non-conference games against conference members so there might be another. Funny thing is that UM/UND/PSU has a possibility of happening. They have 5 common opponents, which I think is used for tiebreaking.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 1st, 2016, 08:31 AM
Finished preseason poll last night. It will be interesting to compare at the end of the year.

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 08:34 AM
Finished preseason poll last night. It will be interesting to compare at the end of the year.

The preseason polls that I remember before NDSU's 5-peat started involved the title game teams being ranked outside of the top 10. They are more or less always ****.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 08:44 AM
I'm going to throw this out early, because I do every year...

Don't vote based on last season. Don't make anyone #1 or #12 based on last years results. Last year is over.

RootinFerDukes
August 1st, 2016, 09:02 AM
I'm going to throw this out early, because I do every year...

Don't vote based on last season. Don't make anyone #1 or #12 based on last years results. Last year is over.

You can't use it as a "starting point" for this first poll? Shouldn't teams be given the benefit of the doubt based on their most recent performance until proven otherwise? I moved some teams around based on what they lost in terms of starters and stats but it's hard to justify moving teams too dramatically without a single football game played.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 09:28 AM
You can't use it as a "starting point" for this first poll? Shouldn't teams be given the benefit of the doubt based on their most recent performance until proven otherwise? I moved some teams around based on what they lost in terms of starters and stats but it's hard to justify moving teams too dramatically without a single football game played.
Starting point is one thing....if you're open to the idea that the two teams in the title game shouldn't just be #1 and #2 no matter what.

I will bet a large amount of money that JSU isn't #2, and that less than half of the voters have them at #2. I'd bet that a quarter, or so, won't have them in the top 5. The runner up almost never enters the next season #2. So why should a defending champion automatically be #1 simply because of what they won last year? *insert NDSU fans taking umbrige with this and their dumb "kiss the rings" style comments*

Using last year as your basis also means you likely won't consider a team that had 4 or 5 wins last season for a spot between 20-25. That's not right either. This is a brand new year. Chances are that Youngstown State isn't on the majority of ballots preseason because they were 5-6 last year. Voters will ignore what they bring back and the fact they were 5 points away from having wins over Illinois State and North Dakota State and were one touchdown away from beating Pitt. They had one blowout loss, but their other 5 losses were by an average of 4 points per game and 3 were a field goal or less.

That's the dangerous part of even using last year as a starting point for teams you aren't familiar with. I could make a stronger case for YSU in the top 15 than JSU in the top 5, yet one will happen and the other likely isn't in the poll.

Preseason slot voting likely has PSU in the top 10 as well (maybe I'm wrong, I have no idea). They finished first in the AGS Preseason Big Sky Poll...yet they lost a significant amount and the media/coaches have them at 5/out of the top 5 in the Big Sky.

I'm not saying NDSU shouldn't be 1. I'm not even saying I didn't put them number 1. I'm saying if your reasoning for putting them #1 is "Well, they won the title last year and a game hasn't been played" it's flawed.

I go through this every year, and every year I'm the only one saying it. Maybe that means I'm wrong and I should just give in and resubmit my final ballot from last season but that's now how I do it. I don't vote for 2016 based on 2015 results. It's the same basic issue I take with people that won't vote for a team that is 1-2 simply beacuse they are under .500. Maybe they beat the #4 team and lost to #1 and FBS #1 but they don't deserve a vote to some because they are .500 or worse. To them, Drake beating an NAIA, a fellow Pioneer team and losing to a full scholarship FCS team is more deserving of a vote.

Gangtackle11
August 1st, 2016, 09:30 AM

I'm with you RFD. Trying to determine how an FCS team will do is hard enough. All teams will have an opportunity to prove or disprove their rank pretty quick, but you can't tell me that trying to pick the preseason FCS top 25 isn't more than an educated guess at where the needle is located in the haystack sans a handful of teams like NDSU.

RootinFerDukes
August 1st, 2016, 10:28 AM
I agree with you on some points Clenz and not on some. You make a good argument. I just think that a 5 win YSU didn't do enough as of the end of 2015 to be a top 25 team. Do they have the potential to improve and get on my ballot in 2016? Without question. Are there there today? Eh, no.

I just follow the philosophy of "you have to earn the respect", not have it given to you based on a guess of how you might do. I like to live in physical proof and not speculation.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 10:31 AM
I agree with you on some points Clenz and not on some. You make a good argument. I just think that a 5 win YSU didn't do enough as of the end of 2015 to be a top 25 team. Do they have the potential to improve and get on my ballot in 2016? Without question. Are there there today? Eh, no.

I just follow the philosophy of "you have to earn the respect", not have it given to you based on a guess of how you might do. I like to live in physical proof and not speculation.
So you're ranking 2015....not 2016.

That's fine. That's your thing. It's how most do it. I can respect that.

As I said, I go through this every single season.

I look at rosters and returners/lost based on last year but I don't consider how they did last year when I do mine. I attempt to project the season. I just think if we wanted to rank 2015 I'd resubmit my final ballot.

Gangtackle11
August 1st, 2016, 10:40 AM
So you're ranking 2015....not 2016.

That's fine. That's your thing. It's how most do it. I can respect that.

As I said, I go through this every single season.

I look at rosters and returners/lost based on last year but I don't consider how they did last year when I do mine. I attempt to project the season. I just think if we wanted to rank 2015 I'd resubmit my final ballot.

I respect that you take the time to look in-depth at 128 or so FCS teams to determine your Top 25. I know my Villanova Wildcats pretty well & I can see them winning anywhere from 5-9 games realistically. I'm sure I can make the same case for swing of games for almost every other team.

The preseason poll is a crapshoot & if you have spent the time to look through 128 or so teams then I commend your effort. The 20th-25th team in this poll could be argued over 50 or so potential teams. I'd much rather reward the team for its recent & previous year's performance. Thus taking my chances.

RootinFerDukes
August 1st, 2016, 10:53 AM
The other difficult thing about FCS football ranking is the lack of TV access so that no matter where we live, we can view their games. That is improving, but it's going through streaming as anything not P5 is being pushed off of traditional TV.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 10:54 AM
I fall somewhere in the middle of the thoughts of you three fellers.

I do use last year a little and I also use what I think teams will be able to do this year with talent a little. I'd guess it to be closer 50/50 or so.

If I see they have an easier schedule I give them a little added bump as well cuz they probably should handle their schedule if they are top 25.

But it is primarily a crap shoot, a starting point to begin thinking about the candidates as it were. Poll closes in 5 minutes btw.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 11:03 AM
I respect that you take the time to look in-depth at 128 or so FCS teams to determine your Top 25. I know my Villanova Wildcats pretty well & I can see them winning anywhere from 5-9 games realistically. I'm sure I can make the same case for swing of games for almost every other team.

The preseason poll is a crapshoot & if you have spent the time to look through 128 or so teams then I commend your effort. The 20th-25th team in this poll could be argued over 50 or so potential teams. I'd much rather reward the team for its recent & previous year's performance. Thus taking my chances.
I do use, as I said, as a starting point.

I do take time to find teams that wouldn't be on a radar to look at. I don't look at all 128. However, reading the forum enough lets me know what teams to look at from each conference. Most of the off season discussion on AGS, especially this time of year, really turns to looking a head. Some of last year and some history has to be taken into consideration. Sure. I just run mine more as a predictor (for the preseason poll) than a look back at last year with updated rosters.

I agree with 20-25 being a toss up, and honestly that starts about 15 or so for me.

I will not questions anyone's submission, unless it's just beyond the point of "Yeah, I guess I could see that". Everyone has their own way. Everyone puts in the work they need. I appreciate the hell out of that.

I just happen to have a way of doing it, and looking at it, that doesn't really seem to match most others.

BisonTru
August 1st, 2016, 11:10 AM
I fall somewhere in the middle of the thoughts of you three fellers.

I do use last year a little and I also use what I think teams will be able to do this year with talent a little. I'd guess it to be closer 50/50 or so.

If I see they have an easier schedule I give them a little added bump as well cuz they probably should handle their schedule if they are top 25.

But it is primarily a crap shoot, a starting point to begin thinking about the candidates as it were. Poll closes in 5 minutes btw.

I agree with your first point, but on the schedule personally I don't give teams a bump just because they have a weak schedule. I've heard the other sides argument, but I don't like to rank teams because of records. You play who you play, and I will rank you based on how you fared. Weaker opponents you should easily win. Tougher opponents you may take a loss or a close win. I'm sure I had WIU ranked close to the highest among pollsters leading into the playoff selection last year. They were only 6-5, but had some impressive wins, and really no bad losses. IMO, I could easily justify them over UND, UNH, and EIU. Who all had a better record.

grizband
August 1st, 2016, 11:32 AM
I might be unique here, but my pre season ranking doesn't necessarily reflect where I believe teams well end the season. I try to use it as a barometer of how they begin the year, expecting many things too change weekly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

geaux_sioux
August 1st, 2016, 03:02 PM
It's pretty silly to even try and pretend you can be accurate with a preseason poll or even a poll until mid season given all the variables in involved.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 03:41 PM
I agree with your first point, but on the schedule personally I don't give teams a bump just because they have a weak schedule. I've heard the other sides argument, but I don't like to rank teams because of records. You play who you play, and I will rank you based on how you fared. Weaker opponents you should easily win. Tougher opponents you may take a loss or a close win. I'm sure I had WIU ranked close to the highest among pollsters leading into the playoff selection last year. They were only 6-5, but had some impressive wins, and really no bad losses. IMO, I could easily justify them over UND, UNH, and EIU. Who all had a better record.

It's granulation tru. When you get down to toss up type questions, things like that are gonna make a difference where teams end up in the end...due to record whether we like it, agree with it, or whatever else. Now that is even tempered by a bigger four type schedule being the standard also.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 03:45 PM
I might be unique here, but my pre season ranking doesn't necessarily reflect where I believe teams well end the season. I try to use it as a barometer of how they begin the year, expecting many things too change weekly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Nah, it's about 1/2 and 1/2 from my unscientific calcualtions over years of watching differing philosophies unfold.

My philosophy is one of how they will end up though. When we do preseason conference rankings it is always about how the conference will end up, not how they might look right now. To me, for a consistency measure, that seems the way to do it for this as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 03:47 PM
It's pretty silly to even try and pretend you can be accurate with a preseason poll or even a poll until mid season given all the variables in involved.

What are you looking at it for then?

geaux_sioux
August 1st, 2016, 04:01 PM
What are you looking at it for then?
For fun.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 04:05 PM
For fun.

Exactly,t hat's why you do it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 1st, 2016, 04:08 PM
For fun.

You finally figured it out?

....shocker....

geaux_sioux
August 1st, 2016, 04:10 PM
Exactly,t hat's why you do it.
The only reason I look at it is to see how UND is doing on perception since that's been such an uphill battle the last 8 years.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 04:13 PM
The only reason I look at it is to see how UND is doing on perception since that's been such an uphill battle the last 8 years.

It doesn't really matter what your reason is though does it? You are interested, you are looking, that is really all there is to it. It is all always just perception no matter what week it is anyway. It is just that we all feel perception probably lines up a little better with reality near the end...and I think we'd be right with that.

Toby
August 1st, 2016, 05:55 PM

Southern Utah
Portland State
Montana
Northern Arizona
North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Weber State
Charleston Southern
Liberty
Richmond
William & Mary
James Madison
Towson
Villanova
New Hampshire
Stony Brook
Dartmouth
Harvard
NC A&T
NC Central
Bethune Cookman
Illinois State
NDSU
Western Illinois
Northern Iowa
SDSU
Youngstown State
Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois
Tenn-Martin
Eastern Kentucky
Colgate
Fordham
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Chattanooga
Citadel
Western Carolina
Samford
McNeese
SHSU
Central Arkansas
Alcorn State

The Mercer Bears might sneak up on you. Picked 4th in the SoCon by the media ahead of Samford. First senior class since bringing football back. We'll see.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 07:15 PM
The Mercer Bears might sneak up on you. Picked 4th in the SoCon by the media ahead of Samford. First senior class since bringing football back. We'll see.

I hadn't really thought about that too much but that does mean an extra helping of experience normally so could be a very good year.

BisonTru
August 1st, 2016, 08:22 PM
It's granulation tru. When you get down to toss up type questions, things like that are gonna make a difference where teams end up in the end...due to record whether we like it, agree with it, or whatever else. Now that is even tempered by a bigger four type schedule being the standard also.

My poll is based on who do I think would beat who tomorrow on a neutral field. Record doesn't come into that equation. I guess my preseason vote is really just trying (guessing) what my final poll will look like, not the AGS poll. Different opinions, different thought processes, and really I'm fine with everybody doing whatever they think is best.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 08:33 PM
My poll is based on who do I think would beat who tomorrow on a neutral field. Record doesn't come into that equation. I guess my preseason vote is really just trying (guessing) what my final poll will look like, not the AGS poll. Different opinions, different thought processes, and really I'm fine with everybody doing whatever they think is best.

Yup. I see all philosopies, every week. xlolx

They all seem to start coming up with relatively similar results in week 5 and beyond.