PDA

View Full Version : How does Tarvaris look against GB?

kardplayer
December 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM
No NFL Network here, so I'm just looking at halftime stats...

6 of 11 - good
34 yards - ok

But how does he look - under control?

Mr. Tiger
December 21st, 2006, 08:56 PM
He has gotten little help from his receivers and running backs. He threw a beautiful deep pass to Williamson who promptly let the ball hit his pads and bounce off. They have no running game. He hasn't made any big mistakes.

kardplayer
December 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Didn't Williamson drop a TD pass last week too? He needs to work on those hands.

Mr. C
December 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM
A rough night for Tarvaris Jackson. Minnesota set a franchise record with just three first downs. No offensive TDs in the 9-7 loss (Minnesota's lone score came on a Favre interception when his receiver ran the wrong route). Jackson was under the gun all night long. The game plan didn't really utilize his running ability very much. Few rollouts, sprint passes and bootlegs. He showed his lack of experience by not looking off DBs on pass plays, but it was a poor showing all around by the Vikings offense.

Would have liked to have seen Green Bay's Jason Hunter chasing after Jackson a bit more. Not much playing time for Hunter this year, except special teams.

Mr. Tiger
December 21st, 2006, 10:24 PM
Jackson cannot thrive in an offense designed for Brad Johnson. They need to change that offense for a mobile QB with a strong arm.

December 21st, 2006, 10:32 PM
... The game plan didn't really utilize his running ability very much. Few rollouts, sprint passes and bootlegs...Can't perform very well with an offense designed for pocket boys. Either MN will learn or TJack will flounder.

Smendy
December 21st, 2006, 10:35 PM
T.J. certainly won't forget Pro Bowl DE Aaron Kampman, who was all over him all night -- Had 3 sacks, and is now up to 16 sacks for the season.

Overall, most QB's struggle in their first start....time will tell how he fares.

kardplayer
December 21st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Give them the offseason to revamp the offense and I'm sure we'll see a much improved performance.

spelunker64
December 22nd, 2006, 08:16 AM
I watched the game last night suffering through my cold, which Troy Williamson doesn't have to worry about the way he "catches" stuff. Franchsise record 3 first downs. GO Vikes! ehhhh

GRZZ
December 26th, 2006, 08:48 PM
For his first start, I thought he did very well. They need to incorporate some more bootlegs and then throw deep and intermediate because the linebackers and safeties will have to gaurd the run and TJ can freeze them for a second. I wouldn't be surprised to this a bit more this weekend, I bet he improves in his second start.

Hammerhead
December 26th, 2006, 10:08 PM
After this Sunday, Jackson has the entire offseason to look at film and study the playbook. Rookies who do well during their first year are the exception rather than the rule.

mistersykes
December 26th, 2006, 10:17 PM
After this Sunday, Jackson has the entire offseason to look at film and study the playbook. Rookies who do well during their first year are the exception rather than the rule.

But will they even give him another chance? I hear some saying they'll go for a free agent (maybe Leftwich?) instead of sticking with Jackson. Personally, I hope they give the guy the opportunity to improve.

NDSUFREAK
December 26th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I LOVE THE VIKINGS!!! :anim_chai :waawaa: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :shakingmad: :shakingmad: :shakingmad: : flamemad : flamemad :splat: :splat: :splat: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

GRZZ
December 26th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Hammerhead
But will they even give him another chance? I hear some saying they'll go for a free agent (maybe Leftwich?) instead of sticking with Jackson. Personally, I hope they give the guy the opportunity to improve.

I would be surprised if they give up on him. They will certainly bring in a veteran, but since this is the coaches first year as well, and they drafted him as the future QB, it seems like they will give him ample time and opportunity to develop. If there was a new coach coming in, I would be worried. I see them signing an older veteran than Leftwich. My first instinct says Garcia from Philidelphia, but they are really different quarterbacks after the mobility aspect. Garcia is west coast whereas Jackson seems to have a better deep arm in the little I have actually seen of him on TV. Mccown from Detroit (and Sam Houston State) would seems like a decent fit to compete but I think Detroit has him locked up, but that is a whole different thread conversation, which I may start.