PDA

View Full Version : Recent JSU Transfers, is it too much?

FearTheBeak
June 13th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Hello, this is my first post on this forum so I am pretty excited. Wanted to drop a post about recent transfers to JSU.
We lost A LOT of players last year and I am hopeful these transfers help us out, but the volume is kind of high, wondering if this many is a good idea?

Tramel Terry
4 Star from UGA
Position; WR, CB
Ht 6'0 Wt 192

Patrick Porter
3 Star from Wash St
Position: CB
Ht 6'0 Wt 170

Jonathan Curry
3 Star from Purdue
Position: TE
Ht 6'2 Wt 225

Al Harris Jr
3 Star from South Car.
Ht 5'10 wt 155

Kevin Spears
4 Star from LSU
Position: WR
Ht 6"3 Wt 190

Darius Anderson
3 star from ECU
Position: OG
Ht 6'3 Wt 330

Cant find any Official transfer stuff for Roc Thomas yet but from what I hear it is a sure thing

clenz
June 13th, 2016, 03:54 PM
No team has ever won an FCS title on the back of a roster built on transfers.

A few to plug holes is one thing. To build a roster on them never works when it comes to winning a national title.

FearTheBeak
June 13th, 2016, 03:58 PM
No team has ever won an FCS title on the back of a roster built on transfers.

A few to plug holes is one thing. To build a roster on them never works when it comes to winning a national title.
Right, As of right now I don't believe this is too much. I am hoping it stops here and we focus on getting these guys into the team, because they
all play positions that we needed to fill.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2016, 04:02 PM
It's a good topic so good work on this one as a first post. Welcome to you.

As clenz said it is good for filling holes. If you have a lot of holes then you have more of them. One thing that sort of gets overlooked is that if clenz' perspective takes into account that these holes would need to be filled either young guys, transfers, and sometimes one with a little experience. Only one team can win the chipper, the fact that we have a lot more not winning it trying to fill in holes doesn't matter that they were transfers I don't think.

Cocky
June 13th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Hello, this is my first post on this forum so I am pretty excited. Wanted to drop a post about recent transfers to JSU.
We lost A LOT of players last year and I am hopeful these transfers help us out, but the volume is kind of high, wondering if this many is a good idea?

Tramel Terry
4 Star from UGA
Position; WR, CB
Ht 6'0 Wt 192

Patrick Porter
3 Star from Wash St
Ht 6'0 Wt 170

Jonathan Curry
3 Star from Purdue
Ht 6'2 Wt 225

Al Harris Jr
3 Star from South Car.
Ht 5'10 wt 155

Kevin Spears
4 Star from LSU
Ht 6"3 Wt 190

Darius Anderson
3 star from ECU
Ht 6'3 Wt 330

Cant find any Official transfer stuff for Roc Thomas yet but from what I hear it is a sure thing

Roc has transferred. He is a local guy who played HS ball for Coach Grass. He also took an official visit to JSU during his recruitment process.
Porter is another local guy who became home sick.
Spears wasnt getting any playing time at LSU.
The others Im not knowledgeable of any connection to JSU other than to come play ball.

Right, wrong or indifferent, JSU has always had a transfers even in our DII days.

FearTheBeak
June 13th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Roc has transferred. He is a local guy who played HS ball for Coach Grass. He also took an official visit to JSU during his recruitment process.
Porter is another local guy who became home sick.
Spears wasnt getting any playing time at LSU.
The others Im not knowledgeable of any connection to JSU other than to come play ball.

Right, wrong or indifferent, JSU has always had a transfers even in our DII days.
Exactly, Roc should be a nice fit for us at the moment. We still have many people that we build our program around that
have already been here for a while. I think coach Grass can put these guys to REALLY good use.

POD Knows
June 13th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Exactly, Roc should be a nice fit for us at the moment. We still have many people that we build our program around that
have already been here for a while. I think coach Grass can put these guys to REALLY good use.

I don't follow JSU at a micro level but has your experience in the past been good with transfers? Are you retaining most of them historically, do they benefit the program in the long run or are you washing out half of them? Just curious.

clenz
June 13th, 2016, 04:15 PM
It's a good topic so good work on this one as a first post. Welcome to you.

As clenz said it is good for filling holes. If you have a lot of holes then you have more of them. One thing that sort of gets overlooked is that if clenz' perspective takes into account that these holes would need to be filled either young guys, transfers, and sometimes one with a little experience. Only one team can win the chipper, the fact that we have a lot more not winning it trying to fill in holes doesn't matter that they were transfers I don't think.
The way I view it is they are a band aid solution to a much larger issue.

It's why if you have a couple to fill some holes short therm that's fine. It might look good in conference play, but I don't think it's coincidence that in all of the title games since 1979 there hasn't been a team that relied heavily on transfers to fill their roster to win the title.

What I see with programs - JSU may be an example but I don't know their history with taking transfers - that take a large number of FBS transfers is they tend to do it year after year after year. The program never gets built around a core group of players. It never develops. A prime example, and touched on in another thread, is SIU. Kill built that program on HS talent with spot pieces to fill. He had them as a top 5 program in the nation. That's a program that has won less than 47% of their games historically, and less than 43.5% in years not coaches with Kills players. Since Kill has left that program has been "We need 4 WR, a QB, 3 OL, 2 DT, 2 LB, a CB this year? Well, time to bring in every transfer that will take our call.

I think they can be a great thing as a patch while the younger kids develop. I think the issue is most teams start to rely on them and get infatuated with how many stars they had out of HS or the fact they went to a B10/SEC school out of HS. Never-mind they couldn't see the field there

FearTheBeak
June 13th, 2016, 04:23 PM

It's why if you have a couple to fill some holes short therm that's fine. It might look good in conference play, but I don't think it's coincidence that in all of the title games since 1979 there hasn't been a team that relied heavily on transfers to fill their roster to win the title.

What I see with programs - JSU may be an example but I don't know their history with taking transfers - that take a large number of FBS transfers is they tend to do it year after year after year. The program never gets built around a core group of players. It never develops. A prime example, and touched on in another thread, is SIU. Kill built that program on HS talent with spot pieces to fill. He had them as a top 5 program in the nation. That's a program that has won less than 47% of their games historically, and less than 43.5% in years not coaches with Kills players. Since Kill has left that program has been "We need 4 WR, a QB, 3 OL, 2 DT, 2 LB, a CB this year? Well, time to bring in every transfer that will take our call.

I think they can be a great thing as a patch while the younger kids develop. I think the issue is most teams start to rely on them and get infatuated with how many stars they had out of HS or the fact they went to a B10/SEC school out of HS. Never-mind they couldn't see the field there
I see exactly where you are coming from, and at JSU we do build our team around recruits, our team ran off Eli Jenkins, Josh Barge, and Pope. Transfers have done very well here
from what i can tell, and at the heart of all of them is Roc Thomas who has a good connection the the head coach and is eager to play here. I think how much you think we "rely" on transfers is being overstated. I believe our football program has learned how to consistently attract them, and then turn them into productive players. Also, the players that i listed earlier are not "every transfer that will take our call" they see the potential of playing for us.

BisonFan02
June 13th, 2016, 04:26 PM
There is something to be said about a programs ability to build talent via redshirts and walkons... I like the team being built that way versus constantly trying to plug guys in for a year or two and hope they gel/pan out.

Daytripper
June 13th, 2016, 04:31 PM
I don't follow JSU at a micro level but has your experience in the past been good with transfers? Are you retaining most of them historically, do they benefit the program in the long run or are you washing out half of them? Just curious.

This was my concern. It is not necessarily the number of transfers...it is how thoroughly those transfers were vetted and whether they impact your program in a positive way. SHSU has dealt with both really good transfers who helped us win and were leaders, as well as washouts and those who couldn't stay out of trouble. The temptation is always there to give a bad guy, but a great athlete/player, a second (or third) chance.

FearTheBeak
June 13th, 2016, 04:36 PM
There is something to be said about a programs ability to build talent via redshirts and walkons... I like the team being built that way versus constantly trying to plug guys in for a year or two and hope they gel/pan out.
For consistence's sake yes, getting recruits and walkons would be better, but we happen to be in a location where being a 3 or 4 star recruit does not mean much sometimes. So because of that there is a lot of players willing to go somewhere else then sit for 2 or 3 years at an SEC school, and then not even be guaranteed play time Sr year. So given our region and the state of the SEC as of right now, learning how to take in transfers year to year and using them to form our vision of the team is a skill I think we have, and can use well.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2016, 04:41 PM

Don't disagree and was sort of working on the premise that doing it a bunch all of the time (year after year) means you are not building your program and better look into your recruiting problems as far as talent and building that talent goes.

clenz
June 13th, 2016, 04:42 PM
I see exactly where you are coming from, and at JSU we do build our team around recruits, our team ran off Eli Jenkins, Josh Barge, and Pope. Transfers have done very well here
from what i can tell, and at the heart of all of them is Roc Thomas who has a good connection the the head coach and is eager to play here. I think how much you think we "rely" on transfers is being overstated. I believe our football program has learned how to consistently attract them, and then turn them into productive players. Also, the players that i listed earlier are not "every transfer that will take our call" they see the potential of playing for us.
I don't know JSU's transfer history - said as much. I do know what appears to be the recent trend of taking about a dozen a year it seems like.

It's great for a season, or two, but my opinion is that if you (re: any program) need to rely on transfers to come in and play right away every year you've got a major problem within your coaching staff of identifying talent out of HS and developing that talent once it gets on campus.

Hell, UNI took a few transfers recently - all with the idea of depth but not them actually seeing PT unless they earned it. Almost none of them did.

There are probably 5 this year I've heard of. They are at the DB and RB positions. DB we have 4 guys who were on campus that could/will start. If one of the transfers comes in and beats them out it's great for depth, but those transfers aren't a "Oh ****, we need them here" thing for UNI. Same thing at RB. We've taken some but it's always been about depth.

The only transfer I can think of that's come in an played recently, I mean played real time, was Makinton Dorleant who ended up being a multiple time AA and AC player and is now on an NFL roster. There was a 4* RB that came in from Kansas and couldn't beat out David Johnson and then Tyvis Smith last year.

The only transfer that came to UNI probably expecting to play right away is SS/LB Tyrell Lyons from Florida State. He fills a need at safety after losing 4 DBs to graduation but there are freshman/sophomore on the roster that are developing behind him. The other FBS transfer that may see the field is a CB from Fresno State Malcolm Washington. Again, he is a 2 year player and has guys behind him already developing. With the loss of 4 guys that started every year they were on campus a bit of short term help is needed.

I am all for transfers in situations. I just don't like seeing programs built on them. It never seems to work

FearTheBeak
June 13th, 2016, 04:50 PM
I don't know JSU's transfer history - said as much. I do know what appears to be the recent trend of taking about a dozen a year it seems like.

It's great for a season, or two, but my opinion is that if you (re: any program) need to rely on transfers to come in and play right away every year you've got a major problem within your coaching staff of identifying talent out of HS and developing that talent once it gets on campus.

Hell, UNI took a few transfers recently - all with the idea of depth but not them actually seeing PT unless they earned it. Almost none of them did.

There are probably 5 this year I've heard of. They are at the DB and RB positions. DB we have 4 guys who were on campus that could/will start. If one of the transfers comes in and beats them out it's great for depth, but those transfers aren't a "Oh ****, we need them here" thing for UNI. Same thing at RB. We've taken some but it's always been about depth.

The only transfer I can think of that's come in an played recently, I mean played real time, was Makinton Dorleant who ended up being a multiple time AA and AC player and is now on an NFL roster. There was a 4* RB that came in from Kansas and couldn't beat out David Johnson and then Tyvis Smith last year.

The only transfer that came to UNI probably expecting to play right away is SS/LB Tyrell Lyons from Florida State. He fills a need at safety after losing 4 DBs to graduation but there are freshman/sophomore on the roster that are developing behind him. The other FBS transfer that may see the field is a CB from Fresno State Malcolm Washington. Again, he is a 2 year player and has guys behind him already developing. With the loss of 4 guys that started every year they were on campus a bit of short term help is needed.

I am all for transfers in situations. I just don't like seeing programs built on them. It never seems to work
I guess I should have clarified earlier, but I am not stating that these players will be starting. If there are players that have been recruited and are currently developing (which there is), that deserve the spot, I am sure they will get it. Our team had a LARGE amount of seniors last year and not many players who were ready to step up, which is why i believe we are seeking this many transfers. I do not believe year to year we receive this many

KPSUL
June 13th, 2016, 04:56 PM
It is possible to have too many all at once, especially if a team is picking up a majority of FBS bad boys and troublemakers. But based on your knowledge of most of them, that doesn't seem to be the case. You can also go to far to the other extreme like UNH which doesn't seem to consider any FBS transfers. We have one FCS transfer from Maine on the roster for the 2016 season who had to sit out 2015 and a second from CCU sitting out 2016 who will play in 2017. That's about it for transfer team member. In 2015, after two consecutive season making the semi-finals we had huge holes to fill and it seemed like a good time to have considered s few FBS transfers.

FearTheBeak
June 13th, 2016, 05:24 PM
In my opinion I doubt any of these players are "bad boys" or "wash-outs' from their schools. I believe they just want a chance to play and are not being given one for different reasons, mainly the large talent pool at the schools they are coming from.

JSUSoutherner
June 13th, 2016, 06:45 PM
One of the biggest reasons we end up with so many transfers is the massive amount of FBS schools around us. There's only so many players and there's so many FBS schools that we don't have the recruiting depth that a UNI or an NDSU enjoys because the bigger schools snatch them up.

A lot of guys got excited about getting a big FBS offer and then found out they weren't going to play or wanted to be closer to home. Guys like Pat Porter and Roc Thomas.

We haven't really had a problem with bringing in "thugs" or guys that wanted to transfer because of trouble at previous schools. The last big name I can think that we had because of trouble was Ryan Perriloux back in the Crowe era and we didn't have any problems with him when he got here.

I would love to have more quality players be recruited out of high school. But like I said, a lot of them get snatched. It's just the nature of the beast down here and I think Grass does very well with the resources he has. He seems to go for guys that can buy into the system regardless of where they come from and I think that's a big part our rise over the past few years. He seems to be getting guys that are a good fit and not just picking them up because they have a few stars next to their name.

As long as we keep winning I don't really see a problem.

PaladinFan
June 13th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Just from my personal observation, there are very few (a handful, maybe) guys that are impact transfers at the FCS level. Those that are impact transfers typically are the "missing piece" to a championship level team.

As a practical matter, just because a guy had a bunch of stars as a high school recruit or came from a big name program does not necessarily mean he is a transcendent player.

Every year schools get some transfer no one has ever heard of from Big Name U. Rarely ever do these players pan out to anything more than a footnote. Maybe this year is different. Probably not, though.

PaladinFan
June 13th, 2016, 08:09 PM
One of the biggest reasons we end up with so many transfers is the massive amount of FBS schools around us. There's only so many players and there's so many FBS schools that we don't have the recruiting depth that a UNI or an NDSU enjoys because the bigger schools snatch them up.

A lot of guys got excited about getting a big FBS offer and then found out they weren't going to play or wanted to be closer to home. Guys like Pat Porter and Roc Thomas.

We haven't really had a problem with bringing in "thugs" or guys that wanted to transfer because of trouble at previous schools. The last big name I can think that we had because of trouble was Ryan Perriloux back in the Crowe era and we didn't have any problems with him when he got here.

I would love to have more quality players be recruited out of high school. But like I said, a lot of them get snatched. It's just the nature of the beast down here and I think Grass does very well with the resources he has. He seems to go for guys that can buy into the system regardless of where they come from and I think that's a big part our rise over the past few years. He seems to be getting guys that are a good fit and not just picking them up because they have a few stars next to their name.

As long as we keep winning I don't really see a problem.

Well, JSU takes on a lot of transfers because that's what they decide to do. They don't have anymore programs in their vicinity than, say, Furman (who rarely takes in transfers). Furman has 9 Division 1 programs in their own (small) state.

Now, I do think that the influx of programs at the FCS level--particularly in the deep south where the saturation level is far more significant--has created issues in recruiting. But I believe JSU has a philosophy of filling holes with transfers, but it does not have anything to do with how many FBS programs are in the vicinity, which is no more significant than any other FCS school in the deep south.

SeattleBobcat
June 13th, 2016, 08:38 PM

Tramel Terry
4 Star from UGA
Position; WR, CB
Ht 6'0 Wt 192

Patrick Porter
3 Star from Wash St
Ht 6'0 Wt 170

Jonathan Curry
3 Star from Purdue
Ht 6'2 Wt 225

Al Harris Jr
3 Star from South Car.
Ht 5'10 wt 155

Kevin Spears
4 Star from LSU
Ht 6"3 Wt 190

Darius Anderson
3 star from ECU
Ht 6'3 Wt 330

It looks like your team was looking for some help in the secondary, I've seen longer list though. It's all about them buying into to what your coach is selling, time will tell. Congrats though, looks like you guys landed a bunch of good players.

JSUSoutherner
June 13th, 2016, 08:43 PM
It looks like your team was looking for some help in the secondary, I've seen longer list though. It's all about them buying into to what your coach is selling, time will tell. Congrats though, looks like you guys landed a bunch of good players.
We are looking for help in the secondary. We only returned one starter in the secondary if I remember correctly. However, Terry will be at RB/WR for us as opposed to cornerback.

SeattleBobcat
June 13th, 2016, 08:44 PM
We are, but Terry will be at RB/WR for us as opposed to cornerback.

Are they all 1 and done?

JSUSoutherner
June 13th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Are they all 1 and done?
Nope. None of them are, actually.

Darius Anderson- 4 years remaining
Tramel Terry- 2 Years remaining
Roc Thomas- 2 Years remaining
Pat Porter- 2 I think, maybe 3?
Al Harris- 3 Years left
Kevin Spears- 2 Years left
BJ Hammond- 2 Years left
Jonathan Curry- 2 years left

Also, I went back and checked where everyone was from. 5 of our 8 FBS transfers are local guys.

UpstateBison
June 13th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Harris started for the University of South Carolina Gamecocks in the secondary last year. They lost to the Citadel at home. Terry was a top HS prospect in SC but blew out a knee in the NC/SC high school all star game. I thought I saw a post that he was still having a knee issue. I wish him well.

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2016, 10:07 PM
This topic is a very touchy around here.

You'll get quite a few NDSU fans that beat their chest on NDSUs one transfer on the Title game roster from last year.

Then other fans clamoring you are getting a better level of player when they come from the FBS.

I don't really know which way to go, but you clearly can't argue with results.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cocky
June 13th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Harris started for the University of South Carolina Gamecocks in the secondary last year. They lost to the Citadel at home. Terry was a top HS prospect in SC but blew out a knee in the NC/SC high school all star game. I thought I saw a post that he was still having a knee issue. I wish him well.
He did hurt his knee again this spring. No idea how the recovery is going.

UpstateBison
June 13th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I hope Terry recovers from his injuries. I think he was Mr. Football in SC his senior season at Goose Creek. Harris needs some work to be elite at the FCS level.

JSUSoutherner
June 13th, 2016, 10:36 PM
I hope Terry recovers from his injuries. I think he was Mr. Football in SC his senior season at Goose Creek. Harris needs some work to be elite at the FCS level.
From what I've read on GJS, Terry has dealt with this type of injury before and he should be ready by September or so.

Craig Haley article on Roc Thomas: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160613194656094128804

caribbeanhen
June 13th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Delaware brings in a transfer punter.... so excited about it....haha

UpstateBison
June 13th, 2016, 10:43 PM
Is it the same knee he blew out in the HS all star game? I think it was a kickoff return and it was ugly. Again, I hope he recovers.

SeattleBobcat
June 13th, 2016, 10:45 PM
Nope. None of them are, actually.

Darius Anderson- 4 years remaining
Tramel Terry- 2 Years remaining
Roc Thomas- 2 Years remaining
Pat Porter- 2 I think, maybe 3?
Al Harris- 3 Years left
Kevin Spears- 2 Years left
BJ Hammond- 2 Years left
Jonathan Curry- 2 years left

Also, I went back and checked where everyone was from. 5 of our 8 FBS transfers are local guys.

That's good news, I don't think it hurts to add transfers with a few years to play. One and done guys can help a team, but it's definitely not a recipe for success.

Cocky
June 14th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Is it the same knee he blew out in the HS all star game? I think it was a kickoff return and it was ugly. Again, I hope he recovers.
Im not sure which knee was injured.

FearTheBeak
June 14th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Here is an article that ESPN did recently to help shed some light on Roc for those of you who may not know much about the situation.
It also briefly mentions some other transfers.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/16185541/former-auburn-tigers-rb-roc-thomas-transfers-jacksonville-state-gamecocks

SU DOG
June 14th, 2016, 04:02 PM
I know that Samford recruits players that we probably have NO chance of signing. They'll go to FBS schools, BUT, if they get disenchanted there, they will remember the Samford coaches and maybe the recruiting trip and then reconsider - especially if they are closer to home and family. JSU probably has the same experience, but with much less stringent academic requirements. The "open policy" at JSU allows them to get players that we couldn't get admitted. Just stating facts, not downing the JSU policy. However, that probably helps them get a larger number of xfers than many schools could.

Cocky
June 14th, 2016, 06:23 PM
I know that Samford recruits players that we probably have NO chance of signing. They'll go to FBS schools, BUT, if they get disenchanted there, they will remember the Samford coaches and maybe the recruiting trip and then reconsider - especially if they are closer to home and family. JSU probably has the same experience, but with much less stringent academic requirements. The "open policy" at JSU allows them to get players that we couldn't get admitted. Just stating facts, not downing the JSU policy. However, that probably helps them get a larger number of xfers than many schools could.

Dont think we have an open policy. Several players have been denied entrance into the university. Probably are more difficult to graduate from JSU than Samford. Not knocking Samford just stating facts.

underdawg
June 14th, 2016, 06:35 PM

EVERY SINGLE Starting RB in the Kill error save One (Tommy Koutsos) was frickin transfer (either JUCO or FBS) --get your frickin facts right---Kill used transfers a lot--in all areas--DB's DL RB and Nick Hill SIU's current coach was a Transfer from WKU for God sake

JSUSoutherner
June 14th, 2016, 07:13 PM

Well, you guys used to be able to get transfers. At least until the NCAA found out Samford goofed and put them on probation. :D

SU DOG
June 14th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Dont think we have an open policy. Several players have been denied entrance into the university. Probably are more difficult to graduate from JSU than Samford. Not knocking Samford just stating facts.

Didn't mean to ruffle any bird feathers. I do believe that JSU academics, especially compared to some private schools, makes it easier to enroll transfers thereby helping to account for some of the larger numbers. Probably lots of other examples around, other than JSU that would also testify to that. Just an opinion.

JSUSoutherner
June 14th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Didn't mean to ruffle any bird feathers. I do believe that JSU academics, especially compared to some private schools, makes it easier to enroll transfers thereby helping to account for some of the larger numbers. Probably lots of other examples around, other than JSU that would also testify to that. Just an opinion.
Oh yes. Our low academic standards bring in transfers in flocks.

Too bad we can't manage to raise our APR the extra 9 points to match Samford's. Maybe then we too could walk around with a "holier-than-thou" attitude on the subject matter. :D

SU DOG
June 14th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Whoa! you guys are too sensitive here. One of your own brought up this topic for discussion. I have NEVER had any "holier than thou" attitude toward Jacksonville State. When in college I dated girls from there, when SU dropped football I became a fan and made trips to games there, and in my career the assistant I got was a former All-American(the late Billy Hicks - a wonderful person) there. I'm also a Samford Fan who wants to play JSU, and hopefully one day be competitive with the Gamecocks.

clenz
June 14th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Oh yes. Our low academic standards bring in transfers in flocks.

Too bad we can't manage to raise our APR the extra 9 points to match Samford's. Maybe then we too could walk around with a "holier-than-thou" attitude on the subject matter. :D

Don't have a dog in this fight but APR strictly measures kids staying eligible and on graduation track

In theory that could be much easier to do Jax State with athletes that are marginal students than at Samford

No idea. Don't really give a damn. Don't know much about either schools rigors. Just pointing out a slight straw man comeback argument.

JSUSoutherner
June 14th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Whoa! you guys are too sensitive here. One of your own brought up this topic for discussion. I have NEVER had any "holier than thou" attitude toward Jacksonville State. When in college I dated girls from there, when SU dropped football I became a fan and made trips to games there, and in my career the assistant I got was a former All-American(the late Billy Hicks - a wonderful person) there. I'm also a Samford Fan who wants to play JSU, and hopefully one day be competitive with the Gamecocks.

I know. I'm perfectly fine. I'm just giving you a hard time cause I'm an asshole like that. Calm down.

I too would like to see another matchup with Samford. Perhaps this year in the playoffs.

Don't have a dog in this fight but APR strictly measures kids staying eligible and on graduation track

In theory that could be much easier to do Jax State with athletes that are marginal students than at Samford

No idea. Don't really give a damn. Don't know much about either schools rigors. Just pointing out a slight straw man comeback argument.
I know APR isn't the best measurement. I would have rather used team GPA but I couldn't find Samford's soooo. Yeah.

clenz
June 14th, 2016, 09:21 PM
I know. I'm perfectly fine. I'm just giving you a hard time cause I'm an asshole like that. Calm down.

I too would like to see another matchup with Samford. Perhaps this year in the playoffs.

I know APR isn't the best measurement. I would have rather used team GPA but I couldn't find Samford's soooo. Yeah.

GPA isn't much better. I pulled a 3.98 at the CC I went too by going to half the classes. Didn't have that GPA at UNI.

JSUSoutherner
June 14th, 2016, 10:23 PM
GPA isn't much better. I pulled a 3.98 at the CC I went too by going to half the classes. Didn't have that GPA at UNI.
I was going to ask what measurement you recommend I use to compare JSU and Samford...

and then it hit me...

SCOREBOARRRRD! :D

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22629&stc=1

I really am a jerk sometimes.

tierre
June 14th, 2016, 11:04 PM
There is nothing wrong with having a transfer here and there to fill in an immediate need. But loading your team up with transfers and JUCOs not good way to build your team.

ejjones
June 15th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Are they all 1 and done?

You sure about Harris & 3 years remaining? He played as a Freshman in '14. He'll be fine at JSU, but not a FBS / SEC corner, IMO. I'm sure Muschamp provided him some encouragement.

Cocky
June 15th, 2016, 07:07 AM
You sure about Harris & 3 years remaining? He played as a Freshman in '14. He'll be fine at JSU, but not a FBS / SEC corner, IMO. I'm sure Muschamp provided him some encouragement.

If telling him he should find a new place to play is encouragement, then yes he did. This is the story of most of our transfers.

JSUSoutherner
June 15th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Oh, yes, you're right. He has two years, not three. My bad.

SU DOG
June 15th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I will admit that coaches Clark and Grass did a tremendous job getting JSU off of academic probation and establishing good academic rankings for JSU Football. I had no respect for Crowe for several reasons. I congratulate JSU on their improvements and certainly on their championship run. I don't want to continue to be in a pissing match with JSU folks on here, so this is my last post about academics. I do want to point out, however, that Samford Football was tied with Princeton and Columbia according to the NCAA, for the top GSR scores for FCS IN THE NATION!!!

http://www.al.com/samford/index.ssf/2015/11/samford_athletics_scores_high.html

JSUSoutherner
June 15th, 2016, 09:45 AM
I will admit that coaches Clark and Grass did a tremendous job getting JSU off of academic probation and establishing good academic rankings for JSU Football. I had no respect for Crowe for several reasons. I congratulate JSU on their improvements and certainly on their championship run. I don't want to continue to be in a pissing match with JSU folks on here, so this is my last post about academics. I do want to point out, however, that Samford Football was tied with Princeton and Columbia according to the NCAA, for the top GSR scores for FCS IN THE NATION!!!

http://www.al.com/samford/index.ssf/2015/11/samford_athletics_scores_high.html
Proud of you. xthumbsupx

Cocky
June 15th, 2016, 12:26 PM
JSU is not in the same league with Princeton or Columbia but neither is any other school in Alabama.