PDA

View Full Version : A racial double standard amongst quarterbacks

BisonTru
May 5th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Football Gameplan has just released this article. http://footballgameplan.com/a-racial-double-standard-amongst-quarterbacks/ FootballCEO, Emory Hunt is the founder, CEO, owner of the website. At the end of the article they say,
It’s a fascinating conversation and it’s time for us to have it in the open.
So let's have it.

I'm gonna just take a couple snippets, but feel free to read the whole article. If Mr. Hunt has figured out how to make money off clicks I'm happy to help him out. http://footballgameplan.com/a-racial-double-standard-amongst-quarterbacks/

There is a clear and unmistakeable double standard for white and minority quarterbacks.
Now I could write a small novel about every bias that exist, but instead I will simply point out some “interesting” tidbits associated with this draft.

In the past 16 years the NFL has drafted a minority QB first among QBs in 6 of those years (Vick, V Young, J Russell, C Newton, EJ Manuel, and J Winston). In 10 of those 16 years a minority QB was drafted in the first round and was either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd QB off the board. So exactly how is the NFL racially biased against minority QBs?

#1: Is Jared Goff equal or better than Jameis Winston as a prospect?

Alright I don't know how you can fault the NFL because some people rank Goff equal or higher than Winston. We don't know who would be taken first if they were in the same class, and we won't know for years who will be the better quarterback.

#2: How is Carson Wentz better than Vernon Adams again? The only thing I can definitively say that Wentz has an advantage over Adams is in his combine measurables.

Ok this one I'm gonna come off as a homer, but Wentz is bigger, faster, stronger, has more arm strength, makes better decisions, and is way more advanced in NFL concepts.

#3: Why does Christian Hackenberg get a pass for two seasons of bad play after losing his coach, but Cardale Jones loses his coach and his diminished play is all his fault?

This one I put both these guys in the wildcard category. It's up to the coach who he thinks he can coach up to be an NFL quarterback. Hackenberg (white QB) was drafted by a black coach. Brisset (black QB) the next QB off the board was drafted by a white coach. Kessler (white QB) the next one off the board was drafted by the Browns who's GM, HC, and QB coach are all black. Two quarterbacks later C Jones was drafted by a white coach. Again, where is the racial bias?

#4: Two of the most dynamic and productive quarterbacks in college football last season can’t even get drafted?

Admittedly I haven't watched a lot of Boykin. I kind of got turned off when he got caught sneaking out to a bar two nights before his bowl game. As for Vernon Adams, I just don't see his game translating. Adams does great with chaos. Running around buying time and making plays. That doesn't work in the NFL with his small size and he's not overly athletic.

#5: Are people already trying to devalue Deshaun Watson as the undeniable number one pick for next year?

Here's where you're starting to get overly sensitive. This is a long process and every QB has critics. Watson is a dynamic player, but he has flaws. He runs a spread offense, he's a little undersized, and they utilize him in the run game a lot. I'm perfectly fine putting him in the QB1 spot heading into the season. He's certainly a talented young man. However, just let the process unfold. Winston, Mariota, Goff, and Wentz all had critics. I believe FBGP was and continues to be one of Wentz's biggest.

I’ve tried over the years to steer clear of race and I defend the double standards that exist for white skill positions, but I have not come out and said anything related to black quarterbacks quite honestly for fear of being labeled an “angry black man” or “using the race card”, but the truth is the truth. I would be a hypocrite and ultimately not true to myself if I did not point out these things. So I no longer will. I will address them head on and let the chips fall where they may.
I welcome legitimate discussions from those who may believe my thoughts are misplaced. But I caution that any argument made that includes the ‘well I have a hidden agenda’ will be met with equal retort.

I've addressed your points, and I think I've done it respectfully. If you would like to have a conversation, I'm all game.

Your turn, Em. I'm sure Ursus will make your associate a member if he would like to personally respond.

*Ursus I put this in this section so it was view-able to the public. If you would like to dump it in other sports that's your call. It will probably get more traffic from membership there anyway.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 5th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Football Gameplan has just released this article. http://footballgameplan.com/a-racial-double-standard-amongst-quarterbacks/ FootballCEO, Emory Hunt is the founder, CEO, owner of the website. At the end of the article they say,
So let's have it.

I'm gonna just take a couple snippets, but feel free to read the whole article. If Mr. Hunt has figured out how to make money off clicks I'm happy to help him out. http://footballgameplan.com/a-racial-double-standard-amongst-quarterbacks/

In the past 16 years the NFL has drafted a minority QB first among QBs in 6 of those years (Vick, V Young, J Russell, C Newton, EJ Manuel, and J Winston). In 10 of those 16 years a minority QB was drafted in the first round and was either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd QB off the board. So exactly how is the NFL racially biased against minority QBs?

Alright I don't know how you can fault the NFL because some people rank Goff equal or higher than Winston. We don't know who would be taken first if they were in the same class, and we won't know for years who will be the better quarterback.

Ok this one I'm gonna come off as a homer, but Wentz is bigger, faster, stronger, has more arm strength, makes better decisions, and is way more advanced in NFL concepts.

This one I put both these guys in the wildcard category. It's up to the coach who he thinks he can coach up to be an NFL quarterback. Hackenberg (white QB) was drafted by a black coach. Brisset (black QB) the next QB off the board was drafted by a white coach. Kessler (white QB) the next one off the board was drafted by the Browns who's GM, HC, and QB coach are all black. Two quarterbacks later C Jones was drafted by a white coach. Again, where is the racial bias?

Admittedly I haven't watched a lot of Boykin. I kind of got turned off when he got caught sneaking out to a bar two nights before his bowl game. As for Vernon Adams, I just don't see his game translating. Adams does great with chaos. Running around buying time and making plays. That doesn't work in the NFL with his small size and he's not overly athletic.

Here's where you're starting to get overly sensitive. This is a long process and every QB has critics. Watson is a dynamic player, but he has flaws. He runs a spread offense, he's a little undersized, and they utilize him in the run game a lot. I'm perfectly fine putting him in the QB1 spot heading into the season. He's certainly a talented young man. However, just let the process unfold. Winston, Mariota, Goff, and Wentz all had critics. I believe FBGP was and continues to be one of Wentz's biggest.

I've addressed your points, and I think I've done it respectfully. If you would like to have a conversation, I'm all game.

Your turn, Em. I'm sure Ursus will make your associate a member if he would like to personally respond.

*Ursus I put this in this section so it was view-able to the public. If you would like to dump it in other sports that's your call. It will probably get more traffic from membership there anyway.

All good my man. Will be happy to help anyone needing to gain access but I forgot to close registration anyway so people are still signing up.

Looks like a great debate to have in the offseason.

I don't know the answer to this but I'm wondering how large the pool of white QB's is compared to black QB's just so we know ratio's? I mean if you had the same amount of both races you would expect over time that the results would be very similar. If it is heavily weighted to one race then you would expect that race to have an edge I would think.

I don't really care about the draft and have zero idea what the numbers are and will not be looking them up. It just struck me as a thing you would want to know (I ain't doing the research) before making assertions one way or tother.

BisonFan02
May 5th, 2016, 09:09 PM
@AwfulWhiteQBs

/thread

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 5th, 2016, 09:13 PM
If Em thinks VA is a better QB than Wentz then he has no clue.

TheRevSFA
May 5th, 2016, 09:29 PM
For every Cam Newton, you have 5 Troy Smiths, JaMarcus Russells, or Akili Smiths.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 5th, 2016, 09:32 PM
For every Cam Newton, you have 5 Troy Smiths, JaMarcus Russells, or Akili Smiths.

Yeah, but is that any different on the white side of the equation. I mean, that is a tough position and very few can even make it there so I'd asume the same would be true on both side of the ledger.

TheRevSFA
May 5th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Yeah, but is that any different on the white side of the equation. I mean, that is a tough position and very few can even make it there so I'd asume the same would be true on both side of the ledger.

For every Peyton Manning there's five Johnny Manziels, Ryan Leafs, David Carrs

so yes it's on both sides

Bisonoline
May 5th, 2016, 10:05 PM
I dont think the NFL is so short sighted that they would pass up a QB because he wasnt white. The NFL and its teams are all about winning. Winning = $$$$$$. If a non white QB can help them win and make money you can bet they are going to take him.
With that said Im of the mind that this is just another witch hunt. Certain groups have to find a reason for their groups failings or lack of success. Usually that results in finger pointing and playing the race card instead of looking within to determine why they dont qualify or arent good enough. The latter is hard to do. Playing the blame game is the easy way out.

BisonTru
May 5th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Here's some numbers. In the first two rounds the NFL drafted 59 quarterbacks going back to 2001. 42 were white, 15 were black, and 2 were mixed (Mariota, Kaepernick). 4 or 26% of the black quarterbacks are projected week 1 starters. 21 or 50% of the white quarterbacks are projected week 1 starters. 1 of the mixed race Qbs are projected week 1 starters.

Now, I will say with both the black QBs and mixed race the sample size is low. So I don't fault them for a much lower hit rate especially since black quarterbacks went through a rough stretch before Newton. However, if the NFL was missing on black quarterbacks and they were hitting at say a 50% clip and white quarterbacks were failing at a 75% rate there would be more of an argument.

Honestly I think one of the driving forces here is Cam Newton's success. I think some in the "black QBs matter" camp are looking for the next Newton. He's just special. Rarely does a quarterback come along with that kind of athleticism and the ability to be a really good at all the many aspects of the QB position. This class doesn't have a Cam Newton and Watson as talented as he is, isn't Newton either next year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 6th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Here's some numbers. In the first two rounds the NFL drafted 59 quarterbacks going back to 2001. 42 were white, 15 were black, and 2 were mixed (Mariota, Kaepernick). 4 or 26% of the black quarterbacks are projected week 1 starters. 21 or 50% of the white quarterbacks are projected week 1 starters. 1 of the mixed race Qbs are projected week 1 starters.

Now, I will say with both the black QBs and mixed race the sample size is low. So I don't fault them for a much lower hit rate especially since black quarterbacks went through a rough stretch before Newton. However, if the NFL was missing on black quarterbacks and they were hitting at say a 50% clip and white quarterbacks were failing at a 75% rate there would be more of an argument.

Honestly I think one of the driving forces here is Cam Newton's success. I think some in the "black QBs matter" camp are looking for the next Newton. He's just special. Rarely does a quarterback come along with that kind of athleticism and the ability to be a really good at all the many aspects of the QB position. This class doesn't have a Cam Newton and Watson as talented as he is, isn't Newton either next year.

He needs to explain his views to me. I don't get why Emory is pushing that narrative.

smallcollegefbfan
May 6th, 2016, 12:09 AM
If Em thinks VA is a better QB than Wentz then he has no clue.

If so and it appears that way I can't give much respect on this. I had VA marked as a camp body for the NFL and most likely a CFL player. My problem with many media folks is their opinion is no more credible than a normal message board poster and it is okay that we all have opinions but don't come on here like you are an expert and then be this far off. If you say Wentz is a PFA or late round guy you better be right or it looks really bad. I don't think Wentz is worth a top 5 pick but I do see him as a solid NFL QB who should go in the 2nd round. That is not a weird evaluation but saying he is a 7th round pick or PFA looks bad. What about his game makes him look that bad, you know?

BisonTru
May 6th, 2016, 10:33 AM
2. Emory is just looking for clicks so he is peddling this false racism that some in politics do because his actual hit rate and knowledge is not very good. Emory is smart though so to make up for it he uses this because everyone will click on racist comments. Look at politics right now. The best thing to do is play the race card and everyone gets involved. When will everyone stop worrying about skin color? That includes someone like Emory who is obviously wanting to be more than a fan and have an informed opinion.

I'm not sure if Emory believes in the "black QBs matter" idea or if he has just found a niche market, because there are certainly some that feel that way. Either way whether he believes it or is just pushing the idea for clicks, come here and debate it. Personally for me, I can put down the emotion that comes with racial debates and just talk facts. The facts don't back up his theory.

They wanted an open discussion. Well here it is, but at this point I'm just preaching to the choir.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Unless someone has contacted him with a link I'm not sure he knows about it Tru. Haven't noticed him on here in a while.

BisonTru
May 6th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Unless someone has contacted him with a link I'm not sure he knows about it Tru. Haven't noticed him on here in a while.

I dropped this thread onto his twitter. Whether he's gotten the opportunity to read it yet, IDK. I know the author of the article got a chance to read it, and we had a little friendly back and forth, but it was mostly about Wentz.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I dropped this thread onto his twitter. Whether he's gotten the opportunity to read it yet, IDK. I know the author of the article got a chance to read it, and we had a little friendly back and forth, but it was mostly about Wentz.

Nice.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 6th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Well, duh. NFL franchises care more about having white players than they do about winning. That's why almost 70% of NFL players are black and why there's not a single white cornerback in the NFL.

I think this guy just can't fathom that an FCS QB can be considered a must-have QB or doesn't understand that because of the discrepancy of offensive styles in the NFL and college that often quarterbacks who are stars in college aren't coveted by NFL teams (see the white Tim Tebow).

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Nice.

Everyone here is so cruel. Instead of leaving it alone and hoping they don't come back or care if they are around they all just want to give him crap for having some crazy notion. Part of me feels bad for him but part of me says well if you are going to be stupid then expect to catch hell. I believe Ron White was correct in that stupid people should have to wear a sign. LOL

clenz
May 7th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Everyone here is so cruel. Instead of leaving it alone and hoping they don't come back or care if they are around they all just want to give him crap for having some crazy notion. Part of me feels bad for him but part of me says well if you are going to be stupid then expect to catch hell. I believe Ron White was correct in that stupid people should have to wear a sign. LOL

Well, he does do things like this.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160508/a14e7597d98a126c5cac8428bc9fdfba.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2016, 08:27 PM

I think you misread things a little bit. I do not care one iota that Emory has a different take on things than I do, or than other do. He is a good man, and even though I do not agree with all his takes on things, I respect him very much.

I was saying "nice" to Tru because it is good practice to open the dialogue and then let the other person know that it is open as he did.

Emory is a person that can stand on his own two.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2016, 09:12 PM

And you guys follow him on Twitter when he does stuff like that. I never see anything stupid in my timeline unless it were to come from a player because I only follow people I feel you can put stock in or news services that do a good job. I don't feel like reading propoganda in my Twitter feed. I just want to see facts like a player signing a deal, getting cut, getting drafted, transferring, winning a credible award, etc. I don't really care about some hair brain theory that wannabe scouts present. lol

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2016, 09:13 PM
I think you misread things a little bit. I do not care one iota that Emory has a different take on things than I do, or than other do. He is a good man, and even though I do not agree with all his takes on things, I respect him very much.

I was saying "nice" to Tru because it is good practice to open the dialogue and then let the other person know that it is open as he did.

Emory is a person that can stand on his own two.

I agree. I feel that while he is a good guy he has some ideas that are way off of reality and he can't either improve his skills or try something else. I looked at his ratings and while ratings are opinion you can't be wrong 95% of the time and claim to be an expert. Maybe player evaluation is the wrong job field for him. lol

BisonTru
May 7th, 2016, 10:57 PM
And you guys follow him on Twitter when he does stuff like that. I never see anything stupid in my timeline unless it were to come from a player because I only follow people I feel you can put stock in or news services that do a good job. I don't feel like reading propoganda in my Twitter feed. I just want to see facts like a player signing a deal, getting cut, getting drafted, transferring, winning a credible award, etc. I don't really care about some hair brain theory that wannabe scouts present. lol

At this point I just want to hear his take. We all know where he stands on the racial divide among quarterbacks. He's been attacked and he's fired back sometimes not so professional. Whatever.

Doing a little back and forth with his associate on the tweater, they didn't see any improvement in Wentz from three years ago. He wasn't any better than Jensen, and he wasn't all conference. They firmly believe Adams, Boykin, and Washington as well as Dalyn are all better prospects. Why did the NFL not see that? Well, we know their answer.

My question, is why did the Browns an organization that has a black GM, a black HC, and a black quarterbacks coach take Kessler earlier than some anticipated and ahead of their number one prospect in Jones. And why wouldn't they have loaded up on these quarterbacks that didn't even get drafted that are better than Wentz. Obviously they aren't going to be racial biased against these quarterbacks. You wanna talk about moneyball and value. Imagine having a situation where you have an excess amount of starting caliber QBs.

Bisonoline
May 7th, 2016, 11:03 PM
At this point I just want to hear his take. We all know where he stands on the racial divide among quarterbacks. He's been attacked and he's fired back sometimes not so professional. Whatever.

Doing a little back and forth with his associate on the tweater, they didn't see any improvement in Wentz from three years ago. He wasn't any better than Jensen, and he wasn't all conference. They firmly believe Adams, Boykin, and Washington as well as Dalyn are all better prospects. Why did the NFL not see that? Well, we know their answer.

My question, is why did the Browns an organization that has a black GM, a black HC, and a black quarterbacks coach take Kessler earlier than some anticipated and ahead of their number one prospect in Jones. And why wouldn't they have loaded up on these quarterbacks that didn't even get drafted that are better than Wentz. Obviously they aren't going to be racial biased against these quarterbacks. You wanna talk about moneyball and value. Imagine having a situation where you have an excess amount of starting caliber QBs.

Youve heard his take. The narrative isnt going to change. You arent going to get the answers you seek.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2016, 11:31 PM

One thing you have to remember is that 99% of these draft website analysts don't know who a legit NFL prospect truly looks like and just copies off the ones who are well established. Most of these people on the internet can't look at a player and tell you that he is definitely or is definitely not a NFL prospect after say just 4-5 action plays. They also box score scout. They look at the stats and awards and automatically believe a player of the year or 1st team All-American is a better prospect because that's all they have to judge.

If there were no all-conference or all-america teams and no awards from coaches many of them would be completely lost. When reading the internet just read the ratings of Mayock, NFL Draft Scout, Draft Countdown, Tony Softli, some ESPN and NFL Network analysts, Gil Brandt, and anyone who works for a major all-star game like Phil Savage and you can ignore the rest of the mess you see you on Twitter.

I'm not trying to be mean but saving you guys a lot of time because why argue with outlets that aren't legit or respected? If Gil Brandt or Phil Savage says something that sounds crazy to you then ask questions. I remember last year people thought I was nuts for saying Zack Hodges would not make it but all the draft analysts thought I was crazy. I could name many others. I was just a fan at one time and I use to get all into this stuff but then at 18 I got into the professional ranks and quickly learned that anyone with the money to buy domain space can have a website and Twitter is pretty much free so even a 12 year old can pretend to be a draft analyst lol.

I remember several years ago one draft analyst was tricked into thinking Ted Thompson had gas trouble and reported it from well known sources but he was being pranked the whole time.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/shawn-zobel-talking-nfl-draft-live.452963752/

That is one of many links. You would have be surprised at what a big joke these type guys are to people who actually make a living covering the draft!

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 8th, 2016, 08:14 AM

I think most of us just laughed at Em's QB list and he will not explain to us why legit NFL talent evaluators did not draft Em's top guys. Most spread/read option QBs will not do squat in the NFL, sure there are exceptions but overall their game does not transfer to the NFL.

I would watch his stuff he put out but not any more.

FormerPokeCenter
May 8th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I'm flabbergasted that a 5'11 guy who runs a 4.83 wasn't at the top of the NFL's QB draft board.

Flabbergasted, I say!

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2016, 09:39 AM
I think most of us just laughed at Em's QB list and he will not explain to us why legit NFL talent evaluators did not draft Em's top guys. Most spread/read option QBs will not do squat in the NFL, sure there are exceptions but overall their game does not transfer to the NFL.

I would watch his stuff he put out but not any more.

Ego is the reason. He can't admit that he was wrong about a player or that he is just throwing spit wads at the wall to see what sticks.
I can explain it and in one way I'll defend Emory on something and the other explain why he is wrong.

In my own experience the players who I pushed to NFL teams or all-star games that gave me the most satisfaction are the ones who didn't go to the NFL Combine or get drafted but they made a 53 man roster and played in the NFL. Those showed they underrated the guy but he made it. However, the key point is the player made it in the NFL after signing a UDFA contract or getting a tryout and then signing. So just because a player is not drafted does not mean that they are wrong about the player. So when Emory does find a player he stands on the table for and he isn't drafted but makes a team then that can mean he is right.

Here is where it does mean they are wrong. When the player is not one of over 1400 who get a shot or he gets a shot and is cut very early and never makes a roster. If you have a player rated in the top 5 at his position, outside of special teams, he better make the roster. That's where Emory messes up because he has tons of those misses. There is nothing wrong with being way off base on talent evaluations if you are a fan but if you are going to push your information off as an expert opinion and spend the money on a website, videos, etc then you are fair game for fans to go off on you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm flabbergasted that a 5'11 guy who runs a 4.83 wasn't at the top of the NFL's QB draft board.

Flabbergasted, I say!

He does have a tryout! Several tryout players get signed. Atlanta signed 3 and Indy signed 1. Green Bay is likely to sign at least 1 of them tomorrow. We will find out soon on Williams!

FormerPokeCenter
May 9th, 2016, 11:13 AM
There some teams that are built around the notion of a more mobile QB....And they've stocked up on the players that fit their scheme.

Most, however, aren't. They're built around the notion of a prototypical dropback, game manager type of QB.

Are those teams racist for being more interested in the prototypical dropback, game managing pure passer, than they are the elusive and exciting athletes who play do a little of everything well, but who isn't primarily a pocket passer?

There are several notable examples of the later who failed to latch on int the league, like, say, Tim Tebow.

The highly athletic players - from where I sit - have a tedancy to not be as polished in the passing game as they could be, primarily because they don't HAVE to be.

By contrast, the less-athletic white players have to really work on their passing game because - with few notable exceptions - they really can't change the game with their feet...

Now, if your argument is that NFL teams should build their teams around more athletic QBs, and abandon the pass-first orientation, that's an entirely different discussion that accusing the NFL of rampant racism simply because they've noted that passs-first QBs have traditionally had the most success.

Cam Newton may change that, however. Until then, I think it's probably best to take a wait and see approach.

But, Emory played his college football at USL. They're not particularly known for objetivity over in Lafayette ;)

BisonTru
May 9th, 2016, 02:26 PM
There some teams that are built around the notion of a more mobile QB....And they've stocked up on the players that fit their scheme.

Most, however, aren't. They're built around the notion of a prototypical dropback, game manager type of QB.

Are those teams racist for being more interested in the prototypical dropback, game managing pure passer, than they are the elusive and exciting athletes who play do a little of everything well, but who isn't primarily a pocket passer?

There are several notable examples of the later who failed to latch on int the league, like, say, Tim Tebow.

The highly athletic players - from where I sit - have a tedancy to not be as polished in the passing game as they could be, primarily because they don't HAVE to be.

By contrast, the less-athletic white players have to really work on their passing game because - with few notable exceptions - they really can't change the game with their feet...

Now, if your argument is that NFL teams should build their teams around more athletic QBs, and abandon the pass-first orientation, that's an entirely different discussion that accusing the NFL of rampant racism simply because they've noted that passs-first QBs have traditionally had the most success.

Cam Newton may change that, however. Until then, I think it's probably best to take a wait and see approach.

But, Emory played his college football at USL. They're not particularly known for objetivity over in Lafayette ;)

The argument the NFL should be utilizing more dual threat athletic quarterbacks is one I'm not fully on board with, but I can understand the argument and I could respect an outlet for pushing that idea.

However, once you start digging a little on FBGPs quarterback rankings that's not what they are doing. Take this class for example, Wentz, Lynch, and Driskel were three of the more athletically gifted players in the class. Hunt had Wentz as his twelfth best QB, and Lynch and Driskel didn't make the top 12. Eight black quarterbacks were in his top 12 above Wentz including his no. 1 quarterback Cardale Jones who projects to be a pocket passer. Even the three AWQBs above Wentz are all much less athletic and pocket passers.

At the end of the day they're hyping black quarterbacks and then accusing the NFL as being racial biased.

BisonFan02
May 9th, 2016, 02:51 PM
The argument the NFL should be utilizing more dual threat athletic quarterbacks is one I'm not fully on board with, but I can understand the argument and I could respect an outlet for pushing that idea.

However, once you start digging a little on FBGPs quarterback rankings that's not what they are doing. Take this class for example, Wentz, Lynch, and Driskel were three of the more athletically gifted players in the class. Hunt had Wentz as his twelfth best QB, and Lynch and Driskel didn't make the top 12. Eight black quarterbacks were in his top 12 above Wentz including his no. 1 quarterback Cardale Jones who projects to be a pocket passer. Even the three AWQBs above Wentz are all much less athletic and pocket passers.

At the end of the day they're hyping black quarterbacks and then accusing the NFL as being racial biased.

....and that is my pet peeve. I gave him a shot to defend it awhile back....he didn't and that was the end of it.

SUPharmacist
May 9th, 2016, 10:21 PM
With that said Im of the mind that this is just another witch hunt. Certain groups have to find a reason for their groups failings or lack of success. Usually that results in finger pointing and playing the race card instead of looking within to determine why they dont qualify or arent good enough. The latter is hard to do. Playing the blame game is the easy way out.

To be fair, there are many individuals who are able to do both. People who can bust their asses to get where they need to be, but also are able to point out how the deck is stacked against them. Unrelated to this topic there are lots of areas where there are legitimate issues that play a role in discrepancies (of course people can compound these problems with the blame game). If a level-headed conversation can be had all the better.

smallcollegefbfan
May 10th, 2016, 01:30 PM

It is funny when the pot calls the kettle black, isn't it? He is pushing racism and clearly showing a racial bias yet claims he is not and is accusing those who aren't showing any racial bias of showing it. It is a way to mask over the fact he is not being accurate. We can all miss and it is fine to not be perfect. However, when he is wrong 90% of the time, of course, he is not going to own up to it or shut up. He needs something to accuse people of to make himself feel legitimate. I'm not just talking about Emory but many people do this. It is sad to see.

BisonTru
May 10th, 2016, 01:59 PM
It is funny when the pot calls the kettle black, isn't it? He is pushing racism and clearly showing a racial bias yet claims he is not and is accusing those who aren't showing any racial bias of showing it. It is a way to mask over the fact he is not being accurate. We can all miss. It is okay not to be perfect because none of us are but when he is wrong 90% of the time of course he is not going to own up to it or shut up. He needs something to accuse people of to make himself feel legitimate. I'm not just talking about Emory but many people do this. It is sad to see.

That's the ****ty part, this agenda Em's pushing just pushes the racial divide in this country. I'm all for sticking up for your race when it's warranted. However, when it's not there you're just getting a bunch of people fired up for a reason that doesn't exist. Like I said in my initial post, I'm open for the debate on the issue. If you can come up with some evidence post it. *crickets* They say they want an open discussion, what they really want is witch hunt with like minded people.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 10th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Im much more concerned with the NFL not having any white running backs. There is a stereo type the NFL crushes but nobody balks at it. The same way Christian McCaffery lost the Heisman last year and will again this year. If he does make the NFL they will convert him to slot receiver or safety. This **** happens on both sides and only one side cries about it.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 10th, 2016, 04:42 PM

What does Bank of America (BOFA) have to do with this?

BisonTru
May 10th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Im much more concerned with the NFL not having any white running backs. There is a stereo type the NFL crushes but nobody balks at it. The same way Christian McCaffery lost the Heisman last year and will again this year. If he does make the NFL they will convert him to slot receiver or safety. This **** happens on both sides and only one side cries about it.

Nah... they'll just turn him into an awfulwhitequarterback. That's how this all works. xrolleyesx

Also,

When are we going to stand up for awfulwhitecornerbacks? :D

smallcollegefbfan
May 10th, 2016, 08:04 PM
That's the ****ty part, this agenda Em's pushing just pushes the racial divide in this country. I'm all for sticking up for your race when it's warranted. However, when it's not there you're just getting a bunch of people fired up for a reason that doesn't exist. Like I said in my initial post, I'm open for the debate on the issue. If you can come up with some evidence post it. *crickets* They say they want an open discussion, what they really want is witch hunt with like minded people.

When you don't have facts on your side just try to create a divide that does not exist and have people argue about something that isn't true. See what he did. Instead of talking crap about how bad his rankings were you are debating QB and race. Let's get back to his outstanding job of player evaluations and forget this race nonsense! lol

smallcollegefbfan
May 10th, 2016, 08:06 PM

There are 2-3 white RBs in the NFL but there is indeed a bias against it. Stats do prove it. I'm not sure if CM will be moved or not but if they do that is the only viable reason I could find because he has the skills to be a very good RB in the NFL.

BisonTru
May 10th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Let's get back to his outstanding job of player evaluations and forget this race nonsense! lol

We can do that.

1. Cardale Jones - 4th Round
2. Dalyn Williams - Try Out
2. Trevone Boykin - UDFA
4. Cody Kessler - 3rd Round
5. Jared Goff - 1st Overall
6. Jacoby Brissett - 3rd Round
7. Vernon Adams - Try Out*
8. Dak Prescott - 4th Round
9. Connor Cook - 4th Round
10. Vad Lee - Try Out**
11. Kyle Washington - Try Out as a TE
12. Carson Wentz - 2nd Overall

Edit:
* - Adams didn't get signed in Seattle, but has a second try out in DC
** - Lee didn't get signed following the Giants camp

BisonFan02
May 10th, 2016, 09:27 PM
We can do that.

2. Trevone Boykin - UDFA
10. Vad Lee - Try Out**

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

It should be noted, he did say "his rankings are where HE would rank them...not where he thought they would go/mock draft"......but it also proves he clearly doesn't think like the guys that actually make a living doing it. xlolx

BisonTru
May 10th, 2016, 09:32 PM
It should be noted, he did say "his rankings are where HE would rank them...not where he thought they would go/mock draft"......but it also proves he clearly doesn't think like the guys that actually make a living doing it. xlolx

Correct. If he was a GM he could have had the 2nd best quarterback in this draft with a $1,000 signing bonus, and the third best with a 7th round pick. I'm not sure why someone hasn't hired him yet. xdontknowx xlolx

POD Knows
May 10th, 2016, 09:53 PM

Yep, white running backs should represent 65% of all the running backs in the NFL.

FormerPokeCenter
May 10th, 2016, 09:58 PM
He actually ranked Cardele Jones and Vernon Adams ahead of Dak Prescott?

Holy **** that's stupid...

POD Knows
May 10th, 2016, 10:19 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22466&stc=1 http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22467&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22468&stc=1

Yea, it would have been a close call on Adams and Prescott, but I get it

FormerPokeCenter
May 10th, 2016, 10:39 PM
LOL....Suddenly, ranking Wentz at the bottom of the list makes a lot more sense!

Bisonoline
May 10th, 2016, 10:43 PM
We can do that.

2. Trevone Boykin - UDFA
10. Vad Lee - Try Out**

Edit:

OUCH!!! Thats gotta hurt!

BisonFan02
May 11th, 2016, 12:07 AM
LOL....Suddenly, ranking Wentz at the bottom of the list makes a lot more sense!

At least Wentz made the list....Lynch no where to be found...or Hackenberg. Etc.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2016, 06:20 AM
At least Wentz made the list....Lynch no where to be found...or Hackenberg. Etc.

I think Hackenberg and Lynch tan better than Wentz which kind of blows up the science behind the rankings.

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2016, 07:16 AM
We can do that.

2. Trevone Boykin - UDFA
10. Vad Lee - Try Out**

Edit:

See this is what we should be talking about. The only bad ranking I can defend is JMU's Vad Lee. He is a good player but coming off injury. I didn't expect him to make it but did rank him as a PFA.

Any other positions look as far off as QB or were these the only ones he did?

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 11th, 2016, 10:11 AM
I think Hackenberg and Lynch tan better than Wentz which kind of blows up the science behind the rankings.

You are crazy, neither one of them possesses the physical and mental tools Wentz does. Lynch will never be more than a SIZE guy in the NFL and a backup at best

BisonFan02
May 11th, 2016, 10:13 AM
You are crazy, neither one of them possesses the physical and mental tools Wentz does. Lynch will never be more than a SIZE guy in the NFL and a backup at best

Ya missed it.....or did you? xlolx

BisonTru
May 11th, 2016, 12:22 PM
See this is what we should be talking about. The only bad ranking I can defend is JMU's Vad Lee. He is a good player but coming off injury. I didn't expect him to make it but did rank him as a PFA.

Any other positions look as far off as QB or were these the only ones he did?

I believe he had Coprich as a second rounder. If I get some time I might post some other positions. Hunt has always been off on his rankings. The general theme is to try and be somewhat close with everyone else with the first and maybe the second round and then he'll start ranking a lot of small schoolers and obscure guys nobody is talking about. When these guys get picked up as UDFAs he'll post his video he made about them to the teams forum and NFL fans like it because it looks like maybe they found a diamond in the rough. When he's right he looks like a genius. When he's wrong, more often than not, nobody really notices. Personally I don't really care for wildly inaccurate information, but a lot of people like to read what they want to hear. For the team that picked up the player or the fans of that school they are getting what they want to hear. It's a good niche, and nobody is going to get too fired up about it.

To swing back to the race stuff, what pisses me off and many others is that he's doing the same thing for black quarterbacks. I never really noticed until he was so low on Wentz. Small school kid, seemed like Em's kinda guy to hype. IMO, we have enough racial bull**** in this country from both sides this just throws more fuel on the fire. If he had a legitimate argument, I would be fine with it. As you can see by his absence, and he absolutely knows about this thread, he doesn't have one.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 11th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Yeah but thats typical with race arsonists.

Like you said if there was a legitimate argument most people would listen but this is just silly. There was one good/great QB in this years draft and then a bunch of 1 or 2 tool guys with size and 90% of them will be out of the league in 2-3 years. Especially Goff he is a white Jamarcus Russell (minus the codeine cough syrup)

BisonTru
May 11th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Goff he is a white Jamarcus Russell

Not following that one, Russell was big with a cannon. Goff is a little undersized, but very accurate.

I could go along with a Lynch/Russell comp, but Russell failed in the NFL mainly because he didn't give a damn.

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2016, 01:43 PM
I believe he had Coprich as a second rounder. If I get some time I might post some other positions. Hunt has always been off on his rankings. The general theme is to try and be somewhat close with everyone else with the first and maybe the second round and then he'll start ranking a lot of small schoolers and obscure guys nobody is talking about. When these guys get picked up as UDFAs he'll post his video he made about them to the teams forum and NFL fans like it because it looks like maybe they found a diamond in the rough. When he's right he looks like a genius. When he's wrong, more often than not, nobody really notices. Personally I don't really care for wildly inaccurate information, but a lot of people like to read what they want to hear. For the team that picked up the player or the fans of that school they are getting what they want to hear. It's a good niche, and nobody is going to get too fired up about it.

To swing back to the race stuff, what pisses me off and many others is that he's doing the same thing for black quarterbacks. I never really noticed until he was so low on Wentz. Small school kid, seemed like Em's kinda guy to hype. IMO, we have enough racial bull**** in this country from both sides this just throws more fuel on the fire. If he had a legitimate argument, I would be fine with it. As you can see by his absence, and he absolutely knows about this thread, he doesn't have one.

Yes I'm sure he does know and has nothing to say unless Dalyn Williams or Kyle Washington makes it but they are secondary league caliber players and he won't be able to brag on those. I'm with you on the fact you would expect him to love Wentz. The fact he did not shows me he is either 1) a box score evaluator 2) a little racist 3) both. There was no other reason to not like him since he is that small school guy who he could rank high and it look good because the guy actually goes high.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Ya missed it.....or did you? xlolx

Did my parody go over everybody's head, if so I can dumb it down for the masses.

BisonTru
April 3rd, 2017, 03:23 PM
To check back in on Emory Hunt I looked at his QB rankings for this year.

For those who haven't been following the draft there is a fairly consistent consensus among at least draftnicks there is 4 Qbs that are potential first rounders. 3 are black. 1 is white. Where there hasn't been consensus is how to rank the four. The Czar has the three black Qbs tied at 1st in his rankings. Mitch the one white QB didn't make his top 10, and Davis Webb who's sitting just outside the top 4 prospects is ranked 19th. On top of that his first 6 NFL QB prospects are all black.

There is three black QBs in this draft class that RIGHTFULLY deserve to be in the discussion as first round draft picks, and Mr. Hunt and AwfulWhiteQBs still have this idea that the NFL has a vendetta against black QBs.

Now, I realize I should just ignore this cat. He posted occasionally here for a while, but I'm sure last year many wrote off the bashing I and some other Bison fans gave him as just a little hometown butthurt. After this I think the evidence should be overwhelming of Mr. Hunt's racial biases in his rankings.

FormerPokeCenter
April 3rd, 2017, 04:32 PM
He had Prescott ranked what, 8th??

I'm thinking he musta dropped that Crystal Ball before consulted it...

BisonFan02
April 3rd, 2017, 05:25 PM

For those who haven't been following the draft there is a fairly consistent consensus among at least draftnicks there is 4 Qbs that are potential first rounders. 3 are black. 1 is white. Where there hasn't been consensus is how to rank the four. The Czar has the three black Qbs tied at 1st in his rankings. Mitch the one white QB didn't make his top 10, and Davis Webb who's sitting just outside the top 4 prospects is ranked 19th. On top of that his first 6 NFL QB prospects are all black.

There is three black QBs in this draft class that RIGHTFULLY deserve to be in the discussion as first round draft picks, and Mr. Hunt and AwfulWhiteQBs still have this idea that the NFL has a vendetta against black QBs.

Now, I realize I should just ignore this cat. He posted occasionally here for a while, but I'm sure last year many wrote off the bashing I and some other Bison fans gave him as just a little hometown butthurt. After this I think the evidence should be overwhelming of Mr. Hunt's racial biases in his rankings.

Zero ****s given by me anymore. He will just keep looking like a dumbass when his predictions backfire on him.

smallcollegefbfan
April 6th, 2017, 08:03 AM

I never thought that about you. It is clear he has an agenda and bias. I don't know why he is pushing what he does. I don't know Emory personally but from what I have seen I would guess that no NFL team, all-star game, or major media outlet would hire him.

BisonTru
April 11th, 2017, 11:34 PM
He had Prescott ranked what, 8th??

I'm thinking he musta dropped that Crystal Ball before consulted it...

A couple of us mentioned Dak as a potential sleeper. He would have looked pretty smart if he would of listened and jumped on his train.

He posted this thread to his twitter page with a pic of SCFF post a couple days ago.

smallcollegefbfan
April 12th, 2017, 09:04 PM
A couple of us mentioned Dak as a potential sleeper. He would have looked pretty smart if he would of listened and jumped on his train.

He posted this thread to his twitter page with a pic of SCFF post a couple days ago.

The only reason I had Dak falling to the 3-4 range was because of an off the field issue. I know there were teams who would have taken him in round 2 or early in round 3 but instead he fell and turned out to be a great value pick.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth with him and start a Twitter war. I have better things to do.

BisonFan02
April 12th, 2017, 09:24 PM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?179708-Carson-Wentz-2016-NFL-Draft-Chatter/page24

Post #232....I'm not going to claim "I was right", but Prescott was one that I thought had a bit more upside. As much as he has done? NOPE.....

BisonFan02
April 12th, 2017, 09:36 PM
The only reason I had Dak falling to the 3-4 range was because of an off the field issue. I know there were teams who would have taken him in round 2 or early in round 3 but instead he fell and turned out to be a great value pick.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth with him and start a Twitter war. I have better things to do.

He clearly doesn't....and is obviously still lurking around here.

Come on Em! Amuse us! xlolx

BisonTru
April 12th, 2017, 09:47 PM

It's got to sting a little bit to miss on Dak. He wasn't higher on him than any other draftnik. That's the dark (pun intended) sleeper pick he's looking for and claiming the NFL is missing on. I'm kind of glad he didn't get lucky and swap Cardale and Dak. He'd really be blowing his horn then. Although with Dak's success (which I think is great) it further pushes this baseless agenda.

BisonTru
April 12th, 2017, 09:49 PM
He actually ranked Cardele Jones and Vernon Adams ahead of Dak Prescott?

Holy **** that's stupid...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?179708-Carson-Wentz-2016-NFL-Draft-Chatter/page24

Post #232....I'm not going to claim "I was right", but Prescott was one that I thought had a bit more upside. As much as he has done? NOPE.....

I was higher on Dak then most as well. FPC was as well. Maybe Em could learn a little if he came back and listened to a few of us. xthumbsupx

BisonFan02
April 12th, 2017, 09:55 PM
I was higher on Dak then most as well. FPC was as well. Maybe Em could learn a little if he came back and listened to a few of us. xthumbsupx

http://turbobocce.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Fringe-S3x12-Outlook-not-so-good.jpg

Its black....maybe he shakes this when making his lists.

smallcollegefbfan
April 14th, 2017, 09:19 AM
It's got to sting a little bit to miss on Dak. He wasn't higher on him than any other draftnik. That's the dark (pun intended) sleeper pick he's looking for and claiming the NFL is missing on. I'm kind of glad he didn't get lucky and swap Cardale and Dak. He'd really be blowing his horn then. Although with Dak's success (which I think is great) it further pushes this baseless agenda.

Tom Brady is white, the greatest QB ever, and went in the 6th round. The NFL misses on players of all skin colors. The issue here is that Emory claims the NFL simply ranks white QBs too high and all black QBs get screwed but we have seen black QBs go in round 1 and all over just like white QBs. The biggest miss on a black QB by the NFL lately has been Dak and Emory was very wrong on him as well. How can you attack the NFL when you miss on them too would be my question to Emory?

POD Knows
April 14th, 2017, 09:27 AM

Prescott is kind of interesting, I thought he looked like donkey **** at the combine but I saw him couple times on TV in a college game and he looked great. He might be ones of these guys that doesn't "show" well in practice and then is a big time baller come game time.

FormerPokeCenter
April 14th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I covered several of Prescott's HS games, including one where they beat a team 84-42. There was over 1200 yards of offense in a 48 minute HS game. I got writer's cramp from charting plays. He was the proverbial man among boys.

I have to be honest. Because of his size and build in HS, I thought he'd end up at tight end in college...but, after his sophomore year at Mississippi State, I changed my opinion...I watched his game mature.

I followed him pretty closely in college. I'm friends with two of his Uncles, one of whom, Demon79, used to post here on occasion. Dak was actually born in SW La., in Sulphur, which where I grew up and where McNeese72 and McNeese75 live.

His older brother, Jace, was a very good offensive tackle for Northwestern in the mid 2000s. Dak actually grew up going to Northwestern games and rooting for his older brother.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15871906_10211961385092238_5414763494898644676_n.j pg?oh=92d13bd266a36b10402e822f377a1e01&oe=59504C46

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15977738_10212025242288628_1186360701973896044_n.j pg?oh=c9381ed6402ce0757e11f6f3da1bc96c&oe=598DE491

I give my Demon friends grief for the EPIC recruiting fail in not signing him, LOL. I'm like, "Hell, you had him VOLUNTARILY going to Northwestern games, wearing Demon gear, pulling for the Northwestern, and you just couldn't close the deal."

To be fair, there was no way he was gonna go the FCS route...Dan Mullen was smart enough to see his potential. LSU got on him late, but after he'd already committed to Mississippi State.

When he stuck around for his senior year, and learned how to stay in the pocket and beat people with his arm, I kinda knew he'd latch on and I thought he'd be pretty successful, but I had NO clue he'd have the sort of year he did. He exceeded my wildest expectations.

I've posted about it before, but I got a huge glimpse of his character his junior year. Mississippi State was ranked number one in the country, and he was getting some Heisman hype. M'ssippi State had an open date...so he zips down to SWLA to hang out with his uncle and his grandmother...and his former roommate in Starkville had transfered to McNeese. His favorite HS target signed with McNeese, so he heads over to watch the Pokes play in Lake Charles.

He could EASILY have gone into the stadium decked out in Mississippi State gear, or his #15 Jersey and drawn attention to himself. But that's not him.

Instead, he puts on a blue and gold McNeese shirt and blends in with the crowd, rooting for his two friends. He got noticed, sure, but it wasn't because he was milking that #1 ranking and the Heisman buzz...

You can't coach that..

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24855&stc=1

smallcollegefbfan
April 14th, 2017, 10:37 PM
I read Emory's Twitter today just because you guys said something about it and I see where he took a screenshot of the thread. He accused me of having a problem with players being rated a certain way. I'm not sure what he thinks that is? I judge rankings by how they look 3-5 years after the draft. With what I do I try to project the draft but my grade is what I think about them. It is okay to have very different rankings from what happens but then you have to be right on your picks. From the little bit of Emory's rankings you guys have posted I did not see that they were accurate after a couple years. If you have a QB ranked #2 at the position but he fizzles out you can't blame the NFL for not using them right but instead you just missed on your evaluation.

I have a feeling Emory thinks I'm a jerk and I'm far from that. Ask anyone who knows me well and they will tell you that I'm a good guy. I have seen so many people come and go and so many claim to be an expert, watch every game, be a czar, or just claim to be the leading authority and nobody is superior like that in the media. Saying you are the Godfather or czar or leading authority shows me you have a huge ego and 99% of the time people who claim that are not as good as they claim. Others should make that claim of you. Self proclaiming yourself as something looks so bad because others apparently don't feel that way.

Not every player can play so anyone who is hyping every player who does an interview for them just looks very bad. Less than 100 FCS players will make a roster and in fact less than 75 or 80 probably will. I have seen about 500 players pushed as sleepers and players who could get drafted but in reality they are only right on about 40 of them and the others who make it are being overlooked while about 400 names you see out there are total fluff at this point. I bet you over 900 players think they might get drafted, thanks to the internet, when in reality only about 300 or so probably have a shot at getting drafted.

I'll swap jobs with Emory because it would be nice to be purely in the media because then you don't get fired if you have Vernon Adams ahead of Wentz because it gets you clicks and nobody holds you accountable. If I give bull crap information and don't stand by my opinion and look wrong all the time then I will get fired. I think websites should be evaluated and those who finish at the bottom every year should get fired like NFL people do. This is why I say the Mayock to Redskins as a GM would be stupid for Mayock because he can't get fired for his opinion but in the NFL you will get fired if your opinions keep your team at the bottom of the division or out of the playoffs more than 1-2 years in most cases.

The only reason I don't really read draft websites and people like Emory is nothing to do with me being a jerk or mean but simply because often times the internet buzz is one of two things (not accusing Emory personally but just saying in general online) and that is either buzz from their agent buddy (which means it is biased and they have agenda) or if it is on a legit player rising usually the NFL teams are several months ahead.

For example, Ezra Robinson of Tenn State and Lorenzo Jerome of St Francis both had gotten a lot of buzz in October and late September but the media does not get on them until they are in the Senior Bowl. Jerome really did not pick up steam until January at the all-star games.

Another example, this fall I remember jumping on the play of Grover Stewart of Albany State but I googled his name during that time and pretty much saw nothing. I think people started getting on that name in February or March. Stewart was getting heavy buzz from NFL folks back in October and November.

Another example, there was a ton of buzz back in September on the Kutztown OL Jordan Morgan but nobody in the media showed him attention until the Senior Bowl announced him so they knew he had to be pretty good. I did tape on Morgan in early October and had a 4th-5th round projection on him but yet you did not see his name anywhere (and for the record I was about 2 weeks behind on the buzz with Morgan). NFL teams got on him super early in the fall because he was playing lights out in September.

Cam Lee of Illinois State was a definite combine invite based on info I heard from getting upgrades back in September and October but he did not get attention until the NFL Combine.

You won't see buzz on the UTC WR CJ Board still to this day but I had gotten information from NFL clubs on him back in October. He lit up his pro day workout and will be a PFA.

My point is, the media basically reacts to who gets a Senior Bowl invite, who is rated high by NFL Draft Scout, pushing a real reject who NFL teams have zero interest in because he will do an interview with them or they know their agent and they aren't pushing a player because they truly know he can play. The media does not really have many true film junkies who go looking for talent instead of waiting to see who draft scout or Phil Savage or Mike Mayock mention or who has a major all-star game invite and especially not many who do such a good job that they can dictate draft stock of players. NFL teams do their own thing. If NFL teams relied on draft websites or confided in them for information then they would not spend over a million dollars a year scouting players through buying NFS or BLESTO and hiring almost a dozen people in the personnel department to go out to most schools. All-star games have gotten where they hire personnel folks to go out and find players over the last 5 years or so.

My whole point about the NFL Draft media is that if they were not so far behind and really just copy each other or push who the top all-star games invite then why do all-star games even spend money on scouting just like the NFL teams do? It would be a huge waste of money but as you can see the Senior Bowl has done better, Shrine and NFLPA both have unearthed a lot of talent, and even other games out there have had people go out and find the players and brought good under the radar guys like Malcolm Butler and more to the attention of people. Usually the NFL buzz is about 2-4 months (depending on the time of year) ahead of where the media is while many draftniks pretend they created the buzz or that it is happening now.

Coming in to the year unless they tanked their senior season bad it was widely known that Leamon, Kupp, Kpassagnon, Davenport, Saubert, Rivers, Dunker, Keionta Davis, and Henderson would get a combine invite. Based on early NFL grades from the spring and then whoever is upgraded or given buzz by mid October typically is going to the NFL Combine. That's why Ugokwe went instead of Jylan Ware and Ware probably should have gone. I got buzz on Ugokwe in early October while Ware did not really buzz at all until late November so big games overlooked him and the NFL Combine did not invite him. Tarik Cohen, Corey Levin, Cam Lee, Ugowke, Robinson, Langley, and Jerome were all early buzz guys who were not likely NFL Combine invites early on but due to that buzz they got in the combine and a major all-star game.

I have seen these trends over the last 6-8 years and that is a little long of an explanation as to why I am the way I am. So many in the media are trying to reinvent things or act like they are bringing these players to the attention of the NFL but the NFL is ahead of them and all that matters is that the 32 NFL teams know. Trust me, no player is drafted and no major all-star game or the NFL Combine picks a player because of their internet ratings or the fact they did an interview with a website. Emory and others are more fun for fans and people like them who are passionate about the NFL Draft but they have no effect on the draft. Shoot, I get paid by the NFL to scout but I'm just an area scout and even though I collect a check from the NFL I have no effect on it either. I sit in the rooms with NFL teams and coaches and watch tape, go to practices, games, etc and I know that I'm just an information gatherer for them. Only the decision makers for the 32 teams truly dictate the value of a player on draft day.

smallcollegefbfan
April 15th, 2017, 09:33 AM
I covered several of Prescott's HS games, including one where they beat a team 84-42. There was over 1200 yards of offense in a 48 minute HS game. I got writer's cramp from charting plays. He was the proverbial man among boys.

I have to be honest. Because of his size and build in HS, I thought he'd end up at tight end in college...but, after his sophomore year at Mississippi State, I changed my opinion...I watched his game mature.

I followed him pretty closely in college. I'm friends with two of his Uncles, one of whom, Demon79, used to post here on occasion. Dak was actually born in SW La., in Sulphur, which where I grew up and where McNeese72 and McNeese75 live.

His older brother, Jace, was a very good offensive tackle for Northwestern in the mid 2000s. Dak actually grew up going to Northwestern games and rooting for his older brother.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15871906_10211961385092238_5414763494898644676_n.j pg?oh=92d13bd266a36b10402e822f377a1e01&oe=59504C46

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15977738_10212025242288628_1186360701973896044_n.j pg?oh=c9381ed6402ce0757e11f6f3da1bc96c&oe=598DE491

I give my Demon friends grief for the EPIC recruiting fail in not signing him, LOL. I'm like, "Hell, you had him VOLUNTARILY going to Northwestern games, wearing Demon gear, pulling for the Northwestern, and you just couldn't close the deal."

To be fair, there was no way he was gonna go the FCS route...Dan Mullen was smart enough to see his potential. LSU got on him late, but after he'd already committed to Mississippi State.

When he stuck around for his senior year, and learned how to stay in the pocket and beat people with his arm, I kinda knew he'd latch on and I thought he'd be pretty successful, but I had NO clue he'd have the sort of year he did. He exceeded my wildest expectations.

I've posted about it before, but I got a huge glimpse of his character his junior year. Mississippi State was ranked number one in the country, and he was getting some Heisman hype. M'ssippi State had an open date...so he zips down to SWLA to hang out with his uncle and his grandmother...and his former roommate in Starkville had transfered to McNeese. His favorite HS target signed with McNeese, so he heads over to watch the Pokes play in Lake Charles.

He could EASILY have gone into the stadium decked out in Mississippi State gear, or his #15 Jersey and drawn attention to himself. But that's not him.

Instead, he puts on a blue and gold McNeese shirt and blends in with the crowd, rooting for his two friends. He got noticed, sure, but it wasn't because he was milking that #1 ranking and the Heisman buzz...

You can't coach that..

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24855&stc=1

From what NFL people told me his off field stuff before the draft was not like him. He seems like a great dude. I am not a Cowboys fan at all but I pull for people like him.

Bisonoline
April 15th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I think its Bull-****. Teams want to win. It doesnt make jack squat what the color of the QBs skin is. On another note look at all of the problems players of all colors have and teams are still willing to take a chance on them. If you can help a team win color means diddly squat.

smallcollegefbfan
April 15th, 2017, 05:03 PM
I think its Bull-****. Teams want to win. It doesnt make jack squat what the color of the QBs skin is. On another note look at all of the problems players of all colors have and teams are still willing to take a chance on them. If you can help a team win color means diddly squat.

You are exactly right. In fact they don't even care if you are gay. There is a big name Pro Bowl offensive player who is widely known as gay around the NFL and that nor the skin color is an issue for any player. If you can help a team win they want you. Emory Hunt played the game but so did I and while I understand that being black he may feel there is more racism than someone who is not black I would hope that someone who wants to be a professional in this business would not peddle racism and would try to evaluate players based on their skills and not let skin color help or hurt their ranking by him.

On another note I mentioned before, I'm going to try and post names in September and October when I hear they are getting a lot of buzz just to show you all as well how far ahead the NFL is from the media. Perhaps the draftniks themselves would be shocked because the NFL teams get notices every week with new player names and updates from scouting services they pay big money to in order to provide them with in depth reports. When I get wind of names I'll post that I am hearing such and such name is getting buzz. I won't post details other than the player name and school and the fact they are getting buzz but seeing the dates I post them will give you an idea of when NFL teams are buzzing on those players. I usually find out a week or two after the names are turned in so if I post on October 10th then you will know the name is a September buzz guy, etc.

BisonTru
April 17th, 2017, 12:35 AM
From what NFL people told me his off field stuff before the draft was not like him. He seems like a great dude. I am not a Cowboys fan at all but I pull for people like him.

Wasn't the off the field stuff a DUI. Not to dismiss the act because it's certainly extremely reckless and irresponsible, but a lot of people including IIRC George W Bush have gotten them. For me red flags start going off when I see major character concerns like assault or even worse sexual assault or stuff like theft.

Every thing I saw besides the DUI from people that new him painted him as a great guy much like FPC's post.

BisonTru
April 17th, 2017, 12:39 AM
You are exactly right. In fact they don't even care if you are gay. There is a big name Pro Bowl offensive player who is widely known as gay around the NFL and that nor the skin color is an issue for any player. If you can help a team win they want you. Emory Hunt played the game but so did I and while I understand that being black he may feel there is more racism than someone who is not black I would hope that someone who wants to be a professional in this business would not peddle racism and would try to evaluate players based on their skills and not let skin color help or hurt their ranking by him.

On another note I mentioned before, I'm going to try and post names in September and October when I hear they are getting a lot of buzz just to show you all as well how far ahead the NFL is from the media. Perhaps the draftniks themselves would be shocked because the NFL teams get notices every week with new player names and updates from scouting services they pay big money to in order to provide them with in depth reports. When I get wind of names I'll post that I am hearing such and such name is getting buzz. I won't post details other than the player name and school and the fact they are getting buzz but seeing the dates I post them will give you an idea of when NFL teams are buzzing on those players. I usually find out a week or two after the names are turned in so if I post on October 10th then you will know the name is a September buzz guy, etc.

That would be awesome. There's a ton of draft stuff on the internet, but like the Czar most of it is hacks just creating fluff out of nothing. Most fans, IMO, just want something accurate and current. If you shared some FCS kids or even any small schoolers that are generating some serious buzz it would be much appreciated I think. By not only those here, but NFL fans in general.

FormerPokeCenter
April 17th, 2017, 07:24 AM
He pled not guilty to the DUI and the charge was tossed out in court...

The Intoxilyzer results were inconclusive at the time of the arrest. They actually tested him twice. The first one was inconclusive.....so they tested him a second time...it was also inconclusive...but the officer wrote the charge up anyway....

It might have been a calibration issue on the machine or a lack of certification on the operator or some other technicality, but it wasn't a case of getting the charges were dropped, the judge ruled that he was not-guilty.

POD Knows
April 17th, 2017, 08:56 AM
He pled not guilty to the DUI and the charge was tossed out in court...

The Intoxilyzer results were inconclusive at the time of the arrest. They actually tested him twice. The first one was inconclusive.....so they tested him a second time...it was also inconclusive...but the officer wrote the charge up anyway....

It might have been a calibration issue on the machine or a lack of certification on the operator or some other technicality, but it wasn't a case of getting the charges were dropped, the judge ruled that he was not-guilty.

This was his off field issues, you gotta be ****ting me.

smallcollegefbfan
April 19th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Wasn't the off the field stuff a DUI. Not to dismiss the act because it's certainly extremely reckless and irresponsible, but a lot of people including IIRC George W Bush have gotten them. For me red flags start going off when I see major character concerns like assault or even worse sexual assault or stuff like theft.

Every thing I saw besides the DUI from people that new him painted him as a great guy much like FPC's post.

Yes but the timing of it was what raised flags if I remember correctly. Didn't it happen during the season or during the draft process? I remember some teams thinking it showed immaturity of someone who is not ready to be a franchise QB. There were people who had 2nd round grades on him. I don't remember all the details and would have to look it up but I remember thinking it was not a huge deal but the timing just looked bad.

smallcollegefbfan
April 19th, 2017, 09:15 PM
That would be awesome. There's a ton of draft stuff on the internet, but like the Czar most of it is hacks just creating fluff out of nothing. Most fans, IMO, just want something accurate and current. If you shared some FCS kids or even any small schoolers that are generating some serious buzz it would be much appreciated I think. By not only those here, but NFL fans in general.

I'll try to give some names who are creating buzz and maybe say if it looks like they may get a major all-star game or combine invite based on buzz. I usually give some names in the preseason who are getting serious looks. I have a list already but am not done with film so I can't say for sure on my comprehensive list for next year until around July. My only issue is during the season I am so busy and wrapped up with stuff.

As far as online draft stuff pay attention to the NFL Draft Scout ratings, Gil Brandt Top 150, Mike Mayock Position Ratings, Daniel Jeremiah top 50, Senior Bowl or NFLPA Bowl staff, and you will hear some good stuff on ESPN from Kevin Weidl. Outside of that I would not put much into Twitter and the internet. Many times what people write is info from agents or fluff as favors.

FormerPokeCenter
April 19th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Yes but the timing of it was what raised flags if I remember correctly. Didn't it happen during the season or during the draft process? I remember some teams thinking it showed immaturity of someone who is not ready to be a franchise QB. There were people who had 2nd round grades on him. I don't remember all the details and would have to look it up but I remember thinking it was not a huge deal but the timing just looked bad.

Yeah, the timing definitely sucked. It was after the season, but before the draft...

That should be a "dead period" for partying or anything even remotely risky...

smallcollegefbfan
April 20th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Yeah, the timing definitely sucked. It was after the season, but before the draft...

That should be a "dead period" for partying or anything even remotely risky...

I was thinking it was something like that. I know scouts put up a big red flag on any player who fails a drug test at the NFL Combine (because they know it is coming) and anyone who gets arrested or charged with anything between the end of the season and the draft because players know all eyes are on them and they expect players to be very low key and not get into any trouble.