PDA

View Full Version : Alabama St's Jackson Gets Crowd's Approval

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2006, 11:02 AM
This may be the most anticipated arrival of an FCS rookie this year in the NFL. I think while Hofstra's Marques Colston, Cal Poly's Chris Gocong and NWST's David Pittman were players that we thought may make a ripple in the league, this is the raw talent that many of us wanted to see get a shot and he's getting it much earlier than I surely expected. Go get'em Tavaris!

Jackson Gets Crowd’s Approval
By Scout.com

Posted Dec 18, 2006

Rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson could be in line for his first start on Thursday after a decent showing in relief of Brad Johnson, who was benched and declined to discuss his future with the team after a disappointing loss.

For the second time in three games Sunday, Tarvaris Jackson finished what Brad Johnson had started. And after the Vikings’ 26-13 loss to the New York Jets it wouldn’t be surprising if the rookie quarterback is put into the starting role for the final two games of the regular season.

That means Jackson could get his first NFL start Thursday night at Green Bay. Brad Childress refused to tip his hand after the Jets loss, but with his team’s playoff hopes on life support, the first-year coach likely will want to take a look at his quarterback of the future.

It also makes sense that Childress will stick with Jackson because of the spark he provides, not to mention his strong throwing arm and ability to scramble when pass protection breaks down. The 38-year-old Johnson does not excel in any of those areas.

Jackson entered Sunday’s game late in the third quarter and received a standing ovation from the Metrodome crowd. This was after Johnson had been booed each time he took the field beginning in the second quarter.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/601879.html

Hammerhead
December 18th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I'm a Vikings fan who thinks Jackson offers some intriguing possibilities. I don't know if he'll start on the road with a short week to prepare but we might as well give him some game experience since we probably won't be in the playoffs.

December 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM
This may be the most anticipated arrival of an FCS rookie this year in the NFL. I think while Hofstra's Marques Colston, Cal Poly's Chris Gocong and NWST's David Pittman were players that we thought may make a ripple in the league...Ummmm, Colston is a candidate for ROTY. I think he made much more than a ripple.

Nothing against Tarvaris of course.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Ummmm, Colston is a candidate for ROTY. I think he made much more than a ripple.

I said that many of us thought he would. Obviously, he has. He's very well-liked, which I can probably attest to being in NOLA!

kardplayer
December 19th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Ummmm, Colston is a candidate for ROTY. I think he made much more than a ripple.

Nothing against Tarvaris of course.

Colston is absolutely a candidate (possibly the leading candidate, especially if he hadn't gotten hurt). The point TT was trying to make (I think) is that the buzz was a lot stronger on Jackson than on Colston or anyone else.

A quick search on "Colston" in the message board backs up that claim. Some folks made positive statements (Kudos to Mr. C on draft day saying "The Saints got a good one..." was probably the biggest pronouncement prior to camps opening). He has far exceeded any reasonable expectations.

As for Tarvaris:

- Tarvaris was the #1 I-AA guy selected.
- Mr. C said "I think Tarvaris Jackson has every bit as much a chance to make an NFL impact that Young, Leinert or Cutler do."

Tarvaris clearly had the highest expectations of any I-AA guy coming out of the draft. He's on a good pace for a typical rookie QB (ahead of it actually, but that's for another thread) - here's rooting for him!

spelunker64
December 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Jackson will be starting Thursday. Not a bad debue. Semi-national audience, in Green Bay.

Here's the article from the Star Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/884659.html