PDA

View Full Version : After A Decade Of Futility, Delaware Fires Monte Ross

superman7515
March 18th, 2016, 09:56 AM
http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210813387&DB_OEM_ID=29100

NEWARK, Del. -- The University of Delaware has decided to part ways with Monté Ross, head coach of the men's basketball team, effective today, March 18.

Matthew J. Robinson, acting director of intercollegiate athletics and recreation services, said, "At this time I believe it is best that the University start a new chapter with the men’s basketball program. I have notified Coach Ross of the decision and have thanked him for his service to the University. I admire the commitment he had to the young men in his program and the impact he and the program have had on the local community through community outreach."

Acting President Nancy Targett said, "I appreciate Coach Ross' contributions to Delaware Athletics over the years; however, I believe that now is the time for new leadership of the men's basketball team. I know that Coach Ross' friends on the campus and in the community will join me in wishing him well in his next endeavor."

The University has begun the search for its next athletic director and has contracted the firm of Parker Executive Search to assist with that search. Once the next UD athletic director is named, the University will undertake the search for the next head coach for men’s basketball.

BisonFan02
March 18th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Ok......I'm confused. I thought he was "untouchable"....winning be damned?

EDIT: Also....kudos for Delaware actually having a backbone and canning the guy...they've been terrible.

bonarae
March 18th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I thought Delaware had gone D-III-style due to the stability of its coaching situation despite having losing records year in, year out.

But they should be careful in finding the next coach, who knows, one similar to Gib Arnold, Mike Rice or (insert names of some abusive coaches here) might be the "right" one... or one that may tank them further down... (see Craig Robinson) xnonox

superman7515
March 18th, 2016, 12:47 PM
A sad state of affairs indeed from where we were not that long ago (2000) when Bob Knight said we were a diamond in the rough he would be interested in coaching at.

OhioHen
March 18th, 2016, 01:17 PM
A sad state of affairs indeed from where we were not that long ago (2000) when Bob Knight said we were a diamond in the rough he would be interested in coaching at.

The coach at the time has done okay since leaving for greener pastures. 11 NCAA bids, 4 NIT appearances, one ACC title, 12 20+ win seasons, and two years with national coach of the year awards. One losing season in the 17 years since leaving Newark.

Laker
March 18th, 2016, 02:27 PM

Bring in Bob???

dgtw
March 18th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Jax State fired their coach this week as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytripper
March 25th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Too bad they don't have the cojones to dump Brock.