PDA

View Full Version : New indoor stadium in Frisco

bostonspider
March 3rd, 2016, 10:14 AM
While not as large as the Toyota Stadium, the Cowboys are building a new 12,000 seat indoor stadium in Frisco, as part of their training center and to share with the Frisco School District. Pretty impressive

http://static1.gensler.com/uploads/hero_element/7520/thumb_desktop/thumbs/the-star_20151013_1024x576_02_1444840998_1024x576.jpg

nearby Toyota Stadium for comparison

http://www.inforum.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_1000/public/field/image/0108-S-Toyota1.jpg?itok=5YwZuWzK

Professor Chaos
March 3rd, 2016, 10:22 AM
The whole area they're building in is transforming at an impressive rate. One of my buddies was talking to a local while we were down there in January and that local referred to the area of the Cowboys practice complex and the surrounding few blocks as the "billion dollar mile" because that's how much money is being spent on construction projects in that area. Beyond the Cowboys practice facilities they're putting in lodging, business parks, and strip malls galore to anticipate the increased exposure and traffic.

I've even noticed this year how much more traffic is on the freeway that goes through Frisco than there was the first time we were down there 4 years ago. The area is absolutely exploding.

IBleedYellow
March 3rd, 2016, 10:50 AM
The Mayor of Frisco told us the Cowboys didn't want to have that many seats, but he insisted to add more for NDSU Pep Rallies.

Obviously that was to just to pump us up.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
March 3rd, 2016, 12:13 PM
Looks like a great facility for a FCS championship sans the "marquee" programs.

F'N Hawks
March 3rd, 2016, 12:29 PM
Looks familiar.

BisonFan02
March 3rd, 2016, 12:36 PM
Looks familiar.

Yeah...this time with people in it. :D

F'N Hawks
March 3rd, 2016, 12:54 PM
Yeah...this time with people in it. :D

:D:Dxlolxxlolxxlolx:D:D

Nickels
March 3rd, 2016, 01:36 PM
The whole area they're building in is transforming at an impressive rate.
It's called Texas. Same thing is happening in Austin and Houston.

It will slow down cosiderably over the next year or two due to oil. THANK GOD.

Professor Chaos
March 3rd, 2016, 01:41 PM
It's called Texas. Same thing is happening in Austin and Houston.

It will slow down cosiderably over the next year or two due to oil. THANK GOD.
I'd wager that Frisco is growing as fast or faster than pretty much any city of 100,000 or more people in the nation. This quote really blew my mind from an article in the Fargo Forum (http://www.inforum.com/sports/3918757-frisco-has-grown-weed-even-ndsu-first-arrived-title-game) published shortly before the FCS title game last January.

"When I went to high school, there were five high schools [in Frisco]," she said. "Now there are 12 and I just turned 21."

Bisonoline
March 3rd, 2016, 02:56 PM
If you get off the beaten path in Frisco the construction is mind boggling. New housing construction is off the charts.

Professor Chaos
March 3rd, 2016, 03:07 PM
This is what the whole facility will look like:

http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0301%2Fr59227_1280x512_5%2 D2.jpg

It'll include a hotel, retail space, a sports medicine facility, and a fitness center (where the Cowboys cheerleaders will "practice" at xholyx). The Cowboys also sold around 800 memberships to high-rolling fans that allows them limited access to view practices. Details in this ESPN article: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14878969/how-jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-changing-game-new-training-facility

Daytripper
March 3rd, 2016, 03:18 PM
They can use that 12,000 seat stadium for the next FCS championship when it doesn't include NDSU, UNI, SHSU or another Southland team. Those are the only ones that have even a remote chance of filling up Toyota Stadium.

clenz
March 3rd, 2016, 03:43 PM
They can use that 12,000 seat stadium for the next FCS championship when it doesn't include NDSU, UNI, SHSU or another Southland team. Those are the only ones that have even a remote chance of filling up Toyota Stadium.
Title game in a dome with no endzone seating?

So, the UNIDome (where UNI has won over 80% of it's games), but smaller?

**** yes!

slostang
March 3rd, 2016, 07:04 PM
While not as large as the Toyota Stadium, the Cowboys are building a new 12,000 seat indoor stadium in Frisco, as part of their training center and to share with the Frisco School District. Pretty impressive

http://static1.gensler.com/uploads/hero_element/7520/thumb_desktop/thumbs/the-star_20151013_1024x576_02_1444840998_1024x576.jpg

Looks like UND's Alerts Center.

Nickels
March 3rd, 2016, 11:16 PM
If you get off the beaten path in Frisco the construction is mind boggling. New housing construction is off the charts.
Toyota

BisonBacker
March 7th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Too small. 12K seats for the championship game? It's a nice facility no doubt but to small for a championship venue.

KPSUL
March 7th, 2016, 02:33 PM
15 years ago Frisco still had some character as a traditional rural Texas town. Personally, I liked it better back then. Next time you take a trip to the FCS National Championship Game check out this HS monument to excess and extravagence down the road in Allen.

http://www.pbk.com/?id=308&ft=Stadiums&gid=66

Nickels
March 7th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Too small. 12K seats for the championship game? It's a nice facility no doubt but to small for a championship venue.
It would be perfect if EWU made and the Bison didn't...

Bison56
March 11th, 2016, 09:32 AM
xbowx
It would be perfect if EWU made and the Bison didn't...

- - - Updated - - -

Too small, and it would be too loud with all the Bison fans. Just another unfair advantage people would cry about.

UNIFanSince1983
March 11th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Looks like UND's Alerts Center.

It looks like the generic dome they used to use in NCAA Football for the FCS teams like UNI.

GetEmGriz
March 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM

xnonox You left out Montana.

Hammerhead
March 16th, 2016, 09:59 PM
The D-II men's basketball elite 8 is in Frisco this year. http://visitfrisco.com/#!/events-calendar/ncaa-division-ii-mens-elite-8-basketball-tournament/

I'm sure a few MSU-Moorhead fans are sad the Dragons didn't get there as some of them may have been to Frisco to watch NDSU. (Moorhead is just across the river from Fargo)

JSUSoutherner
March 16th, 2016, 11:21 PM
xnonox You left out Montana.
I wouldn't be surprised if JSU brings a better crowd next time round as well.

BisonFan02
March 17th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if JSU brings a better crowd next time round as well.

Gotta get there first.

JSUSoutherner
March 17th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Gotta get there first.
Of course, but maybe well luck up and get the "easy side" again.

and if we do go back we are going to hope and pray that the weather isn't total garbage like last year.

clenz
March 17th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Of course, but maybe well luck up and get the "easy side" again.

and if we do go back we are going to hope and pray that the weather isn't total garbage like last year.
You were on the easy side, no need for ""

garbage weather? Really?

JSUSoutherner
March 17th, 2016, 11:10 AM
You were on the easy side, no need for ""

garbage weather? Really?

It was 30 degrees, windy, and wet. I don't know if you've ever been in a marching band uniform but they aren't warm.

melloware13
March 17th, 2016, 12:28 PM
It was 30 degrees, windy, and wet. I don't know if you've ever been in a marching band uniform but they aren't warm.
Depends on what they're designed for. In my high school in PA, we had wool uniforms since we played on Thanksgiving (so the first few games were brutal). At Delaware, the uniforms were lighter (which is why we wore the parkas for our last two home playoff games)

JSUSoutherner
March 17th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Depends on what they're designed for. In my high school in PA, we had wool uniforms since we played on Thanksgiving (so the first few games were brutal). At Delaware, the uniforms were lighter (which is why we wore the parkas for our last two home playoff games)
We have FJM corps style Cesarios. They are pretty light.

Honestly though it was probably my own fault. The forecast said it would be closer to 50 or so so I just wore a t-shirt and basketball shorts under it.

clenz
March 17th, 2016, 12:44 PM

I'm not a pussy, 30 degrees and rainy by that part of January sounds like heaven.

Define windy. I've had this discussion on another forum with a guy from Virginia that thought us Midwesterners were full of **** when we said other parts of the country don't understand what a true wind is. Average breeze around Iowa/Minnesota/NOrth Dakota, on a calm day, is 15 mph. He ended up moving to St Louis and when I was down having some beers with him at the end of Jan said I wasn't exaggerating about, what he called the "perma-wind".

No that's not a marching band shot.

Also, I hear Nike and under armor make great cold gear base layers that would help keep you warm.

JSUSoutherner
March 17th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I'm not a pussy, 30 degrees and rainy by that part of January sounds like heaven.

Define windy. I've had this discussion on another forum with a guy from Virginia that thought us Midwesterners were full of **** when we said other parts of the country don't understand what a true wind is. Average breeze around Iowa/Minnesota/NOrth Dakota, on a calm day, is 15 mph. He ended up moving to St Louis and when I was down having some beers with him at the end of Jan said I wasn't exaggerating about, what he called the "perma-wind".

No that's not a marching band shot.

Also, I hear Nike and under armor make great cold gear base layers that would help keep you warm.

I know what weather in the Midwest is like. I have family in northern Missouri and Iowa. I'm there all the time. I lived in northern Ohio for 14-ish years.

I perfer the cold as well.

But it being outside when it's about 35-40, 20-25mph wind, and wet/ flurries and your in basically basketball shorts and a t-shirt for 3.5 hours, it's not really that fun.

clenz
March 17th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I know what weather in the Midwest is like. I have family in northern Missouri and Iowa. I'm there all the time. I lived in northern Ohio for 14-ish years.

But it being outside when it's about 35-40, 20-25mph wind, and wet/ flurries and your in basically basketball shorts and a t-shirt for 3.5 hours, it's not really that fun.

That's not on Frisco, the stadium, or the weather.

BisonFan02
March 17th, 2016, 01:08 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a6/e5/b7/a6e5b79ac5defcf6a86ea19743927103.jpg

JSUSoutherner
March 17th, 2016, 01:11 PM
That's not on Frisco, the stadium, or the weather.

I know. But the first amendment gives me the right to complain about it so I'm going to exercise my rights. Sue me.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a6/e5/b7/a6e5b79ac5defcf6a86ea19743927103.jpg
Muscles? What are those? Will they make me better at my curvy flute whistle!?

BisonFan02
March 17th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I know. But the first amendment gives me the right to complain about it so I'm going to exercise my rights. Sue me.

I think its an inverse relationship....so no. :D xlolx

JSUSoutherner
March 17th, 2016, 01:19 PM
I think its an inverse relationship....so no. :D xlolx
No wonder I'm last chair. :D

Could be worse... I could be a Browns fans...
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22276&stc=1

Thumper 76
March 19th, 2016, 06:19 PM

Sissy, in college I was at a game like that in only a kilt and blue and yellow paint. xlolx

Might have had some help from liquid fire however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
March 19th, 2016, 06:22 PM

This explains a lot.

NDSU1980
March 19th, 2016, 09:47 PM

The weather didn't seem to bother the NDSU football team any, as evidenced by the margin of victory.