PDA

View Full Version : RIP Scott Miller (NDSU football radio PxP)

Professor Chaos
February 25th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Bison football fans everywhere today are waking up to the sad news that long time radio announcer Scott Miller succumbed to cancer and passed away last night at the young age of 57. He's been a staple of NDSU football since 1996 and he also called NDSU basketball and Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks baseball. His signature "My Oh My!" calls were peppered throughout the most memorable run in the history of NDSU football over the last 5 years. But beyond all that he was a tremendously gracious and humble human being. I recall him being a guest on the FCS Wedge during the infancy of the program and he was always one of the most positive advocates of NDSU athletics out there.

There was a Lounge thread started a few months back about who your favorite sports announcer was and I said Scott Miller, he truly was as good as there was anywhere IMO.

RIP Scott, my oh my will you be missed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcC-cRbUYAA6pU5.jpg

IBleedYellow
February 25th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Oh, My.

Gut punch this morning.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
February 25th, 2016, 07:23 AM
This sucks............**** cancer.

WTFCollegefootballfan
February 25th, 2016, 07:24 AM
RIP Scott Miller. Another sad day in Fargo. Damn cancer.

Professor Chaos
February 25th, 2016, 07:24 AM
NDSU released a tribute video with some of his most memorable football and basketball calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CLHm7ha894

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 25th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Scotty will be missed.

Professor Chaos
February 25th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Here's a really good tribute by one of Scottie's friends and colleagues that does a much better job of putting into words the type of guy he was than I ever could: http://www.inforum.com/news/3955850-mcfeely-voice-bison-yes-above-all-else-scott-miller-was-good-man

I didn't realize he was already struggling during the Frisco trip last month but given he passed away less than 2 months later I guess it's not surprising. Regardless, he was a true pro.

BisonBacker
February 25th, 2016, 08:27 AM
He was one of the good guys. He'll be missed for sure. Sad day in Bisonation.

Bisonator
February 25th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Bison nation is hurtin.....my oh my

RIP Scottie

TheRevSFA
February 25th, 2016, 08:48 AM
**** cancer

RIP good sir

Grizalltheway
February 25th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Sounds like at stand up guy in every sense of the word. RIP Mr. Miller.

clenz
February 25th, 2016, 09:34 AM
**** cancer is right.

Enjoy being free from the constraints being human puts on the mind and soul, Mr. Miller.

BEAR
February 25th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Condolences to his family and the Bison nation.

All the more reason to give to cancer research..like FPC's bike ride. Cancer has taken far too many.

Thundar
February 25th, 2016, 09:59 AM
sad day, was a great guy...cared more about NDSU athletics and he FM Redhawks than himself

RIP brother

achrist70
February 25th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Prayers to his family and all Bison

ursus arctos horribilis
February 25th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Man, this one hurts. He was a frequent guest on the show as mentioned by PC and always just a damn fine fella from the get go. Hell, he made time for us just 6 or 7 weeks ago for the show right before the chipper.

I really feel for his family, and Bison nation. RIP Scott. You were good to us, and I will miss you.

**** cancer.

BisonFan02
February 25th, 2016, 12:29 PM
One of my all time favorites....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY

Scotty and co where often the sole source of Bison football for me (especially while living out east...like when the above video occurred), and I will remember him fondly. I think alot of us knew this was coming...especially lately with the news, but it still really didn't soften the blow. RIP Scotty...

Professor Chaos
February 25th, 2016, 12:39 PM
I knew that he was in poor health and that the worst was certainly possible but what I didn't realize until today was how much he was really struggling over the last couple years and especially the last couple months. He was such a true professional that you couldn't even tell listening to him call games even into mid-January 2016. He was so selfless he didn't want anything to ever be about him and it blows my mind to hear all the people telling stories today about how, even towards the end, he would always ask his friends about their families and their personal struggles despite what he was going through himself. What a tremendous man.

jsualumnus
February 25th, 2016, 01:29 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and the Bison Nation....

Green1
February 25th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Scott Miller's voice often kept me company in my combine and tractor. He had the rare talent to be able to paint a picture of Bison athletics with his voice. His good nature, an understanding of the game and his communication skills allowed the listener to feel as though they were a part of the action. He was a professional of the highest caliber. He will be missed.

Twentysix
February 26th, 2016, 12:05 AM
Scott Miller's voice often kept me company in my combine and tractor. He had the rare talent to be able to paint a picture of Bison athletics with his voice. His good nature, an understanding of the game and his communication skills allowed the listener to feel as though they were a part of the action. He was a professional of the highest caliber. He will be missed.

Agree 100%. He was an extremely skilled play by play guy. I was always frustrated when someone else was calling a bison game, because they were never as good as him, not even close. Tens of thousands of people will miss his voice.

AshevilleApp2
February 26th, 2016, 05:13 AM
Sorry to read this. RIP and condolences to all.

**** cancer.

F'N Hawks
February 26th, 2016, 08:30 AM
As many have said, he was not only an outstanding play-by-play guy for football, basketball, and baseball but the real deal as a person. The type of guy who actually made you feel like he wanted to be talking to you at that time. xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
February 26th, 2016, 09:37 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this. Condolences to the Bison faithful and prayers for Mr. Miller and his family...

AmsterBison
February 26th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Scotty was the best. NDSU was damn lucky to have him around.

cpacmel
February 26th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Very sorry to hear this. Lost a few people near me recently. Stinks Big Time!

Prayers and thoughts from Illinois State

As others have said **** CANCER!!!!

dewey
February 26th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Like others have said before I started watching NDSU on ESPN3 I would always listen to Scott Miller doing the play by play.

RIP Mr Miller.

Dewey

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 26th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Really sorry about your loss, Bison. He went out a 5 time champion.