PDA

View Full Version : Graduate transfer rule impacts Dayton....

DetroitFlyer
February 11th, 2016, 09:43 AM
www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/02/oregon_ducks_add_graduate_tran.html (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/02/oregon_ducks_add_graduate_tran.html)

Well, having thought about this a bit more, this graduate transfer rule could have a negative impact on my Flyers going forward. Recently, it was announced that Dayton had 15 returning, 5th year players. This has been a staple of UD football for many years. We find recruits with great potential, red shirt and develop them as freshman, and many stick around for a 5th year. Typically, those 5th year players are significant contributors. Now, it seems as though FBS teams are searching for potential graduate transfers to fill gaps in their programs. I can certainly see the appeal in an FCS player using his 5th year to play FBS football. It could certainly help any NFL ambition if you can prove yourself at a higher level. I assume that the FBS programs can also offer a scholarship to a graduate transfer for grad school? If so, that would almost be a no-brainer, pay to play a 5th year at Dayton or transfer to an FBS program and get your first year of graduate school for free while potentially improving your NFL potential.... I had heard some negative rumblings about the graduate transfer rule, but I did not pay any attention until it directly impacted my Flyers. We are losing our best offensive lineman who would have been a very significant player next year.... I guess this will be something to keep an eye on as future potential 5th players will almost certainly begin to shop around to see if any better offers might be out there.... It could be real interesting to see if FBS "raids" FCS going forward with this program....

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2016, 10:26 AM
You must have missed the Vernon Adams and Dakota Prukop threads that were dozens of pages long.

The graduate transfer rule is a double-edged sword. FCS schools have benefited immensely from the undergraduate transfer rule - some programs couldn't field competitive teams without it. But now, some very good FCS players will now find themselves on FBS rosters as a result of the GT rule - in fact, a Fordham player did so last year, OL Mason Halter heading to Florida and playing himself into a possible NFL career.

DetroitFlyer
February 11th, 2016, 11:32 AM
You must of missed my comment where I said I did not pay much attention to this rule until it impacted the Flyers....

Model Citizen
February 11th, 2016, 12:18 PM
So UD's offensive line might not be quite as good this year?

Otherwise, what do you think will be the Flyers' strengths/weaknesses in 2016?

superman7515
February 12th, 2016, 09:08 PM
So UD's offensive line might not be quite as good this year?

Otherwise, what do you think will be the Flyers' strengths/weaknesses in 2016?

Yeah, UD didn't pick up a quarterback or any wide receivers worth mentioning, and with that line taking a step back, we'll probably continue our slide into mediocrity. Can't believe the Flyers are going to miss the NHL playoffs. Pretty much anyone with a pulse can make the playoffs there. Hell, the 76ers could make the NHL playoffs.

dudeitsaid
February 13th, 2016, 01:37 AM
www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/02/oregon_ducks_add_graduate_tran.html (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/02/oregon_ducks_add_graduate_tran.html)

Well, having thought about this a bit more, this graduate transfer rule could have a negative impact on my Flyers going forward. Recently, it was announced that Dayton had 15 returning, 5th year players. This has been a staple of UD football for many years. We find recruits with great potential, red shirt and develop them as freshman, and many stick around for a 5th year. Typically, those 5th year players are significant contributors. Now, it seems as though FBS teams are searching for potential graduate transfers to fill gaps in their programs. I can certainly see the appeal in an FCS player using his 5th year to play FBS football. It could certainly help any NFL ambition if you can prove yourself at a higher level. I assume that the FBS programs can also offer a scholarship to a graduate transfer for grad school? If so, that would almost be a no-brainer, pay to play a 5th year at Dayton or transfer to an FBS program and get your first year of graduate school for free while potentially improving your NFL potential.... I had heard some negative rumblings about the graduate transfer rule, but I did not pay any attention until it directly impacted my Flyers. We are losing our best offensive lineman who would have been a very significant player next year.... I guess this will be something to keep an eye on as future potential 5th players will almost certainly begin to shop around to see if any better offers might be out there.... It could be real interesting to see if FBS "raids" FCS going forward with this program....

Not saying this is a tactic the Ducks are using, as I don't know that it can be demonstrated that they are initiating contact with 5th year FCS players. But it's interesting how the Ducks seem to be the team that is benefiting from this rule more than any other FBS school I've heard of.

I would think a star FCS player that has had four years to develop should have a good chance to start, or at least see significant playing time at many FBS schools. Certainly compared to most of the redshirt or true freshmen, especially if thin at a position. In that sense, it is certainly similar to FCS schools receiving the benefit of a drop down transfer to close the gap in a weak area.

I wonder if we will see this trend increase. Can't blame the kids for wanting to take advantage of that opportunity, as painful as it is to our FCS teams.

spdram
February 15th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Richmond lost a D lineman last year that would have helped alot

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2016, 07:26 AM
URI lost a 2nd team all CAA OT to Georgia.

smallcollegefbfan
February 16th, 2016, 08:50 AM

I have said before that I don't like this rule because it is changing recruiting and the talent at this level. Most don't care about something in politics or sports until it directly effects them. My childhood team is in FBS but I think this is awful because it is damaging the fabric of FCS football. While I know FBS is the best level to play in, there is a reason this kid went to Dayton before and the fact he is leaving is hurting your program and FCS overall.

With VA leaving EWU or the Richmond DL leaving last year it has opened up a big trend. Fordham also had an All-American OL go to Florida. This year Rhode Island is losing an All-CAA OL, Montana State's All-Big Sky QB is gone, and now you guys losing this OL. This has become a big trend.

Hopefully something is done to change it so players who graduate maybe can transfer within their own division or move down but can't move up or something? You have to wonder how much VA leaving EWU hurt their NC hopes, even though they had a good QB, or how much Montana State will be hurt this year. It is sad to see this happen.

smallcollegefbfan
February 16th, 2016, 08:52 AM
URI lost a 2nd team all CAA OT to Georgia.

Good pickup for UGA but not like they really needed him. They sign 3-5 four or three star OL every year. You would think they would have set starters already and no place for him to play but looks like they wanted him pretty bad.

smallcollegefbfan
February 16th, 2016, 09:01 AM
You must of missed my comment where I said I did not pay much attention to this rule until it impacted the Flyers....

Just because something doesn't directly impact us today does not mean it can't in the future. Have to look at all this stuff and wonder how you would view it if it effects your own school? This is really sad to see. FBS schools could just start telling kids to go to FCS, redshirt, and graduate ASAP so then they can have room to sign them later on. Or perhaps recruits will have this in mind always. Makes you wonder if FCS schools should just play their top recruits right off the bat so this is less likely to happen?

walliver
February 16th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Redshirting is always an issue at the FCS level. Very few FCS players will go on to the NFL. As a result, it is not uncommon for players to leave with their graduating classes. At one time, there was a proposal to let FCS athletes play 5 seasons in 5 years, but that was voted down.

Playing a 5th year senior season can be a hardship for many. Many graduate programs only accept players starting with the fall semester, and a number of programs are incompatible with football (med school, law school, et al)

I have mixed emotions about the graduate student rule. It is good that athletes can move on without moving down, but there is the potential abuse potential. Although I doubt many FBS programs would encourage players to play FCS and transfer - they already have JC's for that, and there is the risk that a FCS player might want to stay where he is.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 16th, 2016, 11:09 AM
If there is any reason to discontinue the rule it's on the FBS side. How are they anything but a rent-a-player essentially playing professionally? I don't blame Vernon Adams for taking the opportunity to transfer to Oregon, but I don't think he went there primarily for his graduate degree. It was borderline enough when it was happening at the FCS level. With schools like Georgia, Oregon now able to pull off the same trick, doesn't any argument of amateurism really ring hollow?

YoUDeeMan
February 16th, 2016, 12:24 PM
The sky is falling.

ST_Lawson
February 17th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Not saying that I agree with this rule...I'm not a fan of a player transferring FCS->FBS for their final season just to get better looks from NFL scouts...but there are instances where it is legitimately used as it was intended.

Example: we had a placekicker a few years ago, Pat Smith, who went to Western, played for 3 years, got his degree in Finance, then got the opportunity to play his final season at Nebraska while working on a masters in Actuarial Sciences (something we don't offer). He was pretty good for the FCS level, but not quite an NFL-level talent, and was able to play a season on a Big 10 stage and get his masters in the program that he wanted. Even though I'd loved to have had him on the team for one more year, you can't fault a kid for going for an opportunity like that.