PDA

View Full Version : Colgate 10 Game schedule

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2016, 11:14 AM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160201115701243996004&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

My question is - is this by design, or did someone renege on one of their games?

Gater
February 1st, 2016, 12:45 PM
Bryant series was cancelled. Don't know why.
Saw where you tweeted that NDSU had an open date on 9/10 (which would be great) but it looks like theirs is 9/3.
Colgate has 9/10 open and 10/22 if anyone wants to find a way to play them.
10 games (and only 4 home games) is a bummer.

CFBfan
February 1st, 2016, 12:46 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160201115701243996004&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

My question is - is this by design, or did someone renege on one of their games?

my understanding is that gate dropped a home & home with Bryant.

see new gate board, it discusses the horrible 2016 schedule

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2016, 12:50 PM
NDSU could happen on September 10th if ESPN makes EWU/NDSU the "Kickoff classic." No announcement yet but it does seem like a very likely target.

clenz
February 1st, 2016, 12:52 PM
I think the kickoff is down to

NDSU/EWU
UNI/Montana

Both of which are Sept 10 dates

aceinthehole
February 1st, 2016, 01:12 PM
my understanding is that gate dropped a home & home with Bryant.

see new gate board, it discusses the horrible 2016 schedule

Any word on why?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2016, 01:13 PM
Looking at the AGS spreadsheet for 2016 games, possible games on Sept 10 include:

Bus
Albany
Duquesne
Morgan State
Robert Morris
URI

Plane
Missouri State
Savannah State
UC-Davis

Many SWAC+OVC teams

The real surprise here is Albany - my guess is that they have a conflict on that date.

Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gzhIxE4If0TFpg2tbG25JMGCCsh5AjoTnv8R_8NmQeI/edit#gid=4

ST_Lawson
February 1st, 2016, 01:36 PM
Looking at the AGS spreadsheet for 2016 games, possible games on Sept 10 include:
Western Illinois

Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gzhIxE4If0TFpg2tbG25JMGCCsh5AjoTnv8R_8NmQeI/edit#gid=4

We're out, we have a home game against Northern Arizona on that day. I'm not sure why we don't have our schedule out yet (it is finalized, we know all dates and opponents), but NAU has it on their site: http://nauathletics.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20160130pjkeiq
Our bye week is 9/17.

BisonFan02
February 1st, 2016, 01:36 PM
NDSU could happen on September 10th if ESPN makes EWU/NDSU the "Kickoff classic." No announcement yet but it does seem like a very likely target.

It's happening.....ESPN is also trying to help* NDSU find a "replacement" opponent for an 11th game...

*allegedly...

Gater
February 1st, 2016, 01:44 PM
BisonFan02, are you saying the NDSU kickoff game is happening on 9/3 and NDSU has an opening on 9/10?

BisonFan02
February 1st, 2016, 02:06 PM
BisonFan02, are you saying the NDSU kickoff game is happening on 9/3 and NDSU has an opening on 9/10?

NDSU will have an opening on both....the 9/10 NDSU/EWU game would be bumped up to the August Kickoff game (might be a double header for ESPN with another game). The Bison initially had an 11th game on the pipeline, but that fell through in the 11th hour. The preference for the bye week would obviously be on the 10th before the Iowa game, but beggars cannot be choosers.

Gater
February 1st, 2016, 02:24 PM
Gotcha, thanks for the info (you too, LFN). Colgate would open at Syracuse, NDSU, Yale, and Richmond and have only one home game for the first seven weeks of the season (with no bye in there). A pretty brutal stretch. Colgate is also free on 10/22 if you guys could move another game around. Colgate has a long history of scheduling tough (which they got away from in the '90's/00's) and I think a lot of people would there would love the challenge (especially if it could be later in the season).

Go Green
February 1st, 2016, 02:42 PM
10 games . . . is a bummer.

The Ivy feels your pain. :(

blackbeard
February 1st, 2016, 02:57 PM
Looking at the AGS spreadsheet for 2016 games

Stetson: http://www.gohatters.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=621048&SPID=88895&DB_OEM_ID=14600&Q_SEASON=2016
Marist: http://www.goredfoxes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27700&ATCLID=210592122

Gater
February 1st, 2016, 03:24 PM

The difference is that you guys have good jobs and vacation homes to fill the weekends. WE NEED THIS!!!

Go...gate
February 1st, 2016, 03:28 PM
Like the old days. We played ten and usually had only two or three at home.

Go...gate
February 1st, 2016, 03:30 PM

How about an Ivy (like the Big Green) testing out an 11th game and playing the Red Raiders?

Go...gate
February 1st, 2016, 03:31 PM
It would be great to play North Dakota State. Why not step up against the best?

BisonFan02
February 1st, 2016, 04:21 PM
It would be great to play North Dakota State. Why not step up against the best?

Come on out to Fargo. We would fly you out here.

clenz
February 1st, 2016, 04:56 PM
That's something that East coast teams don't seem to realize.

Not to spoil what I teased in the MVFC 2016 thread but I am absolutely shocked at just how few teams from the eastern timezone the MVFC has played outside of the playoffs. It's almost non-existent...especially the last 20-25 years

Note, I'm not counting the OVC as Eastern Time Zone, even though I realize they are, simply due to proximity to the MVFC.

UAalum72
February 1st, 2016, 05:22 PM

Bus
Albany
Duquesne
Morgan State
Robert Morris
URI

Plane
Missouri State
Savannah State
UC-Davis

Many SWAC+OVC teams

The real surprise here is Albany - my guess is that they have a conflict on that date.

The CAA schedule has Albany at Rhode Island on Sept. 10.
http://www.bluehens.com/fls/29100/pdf/2016CAAFB%20Schedule.pdf

Lehigh Football Nation
February 2nd, 2016, 04:21 PM
Cross off Albany, URI, and now Missouri State. If Colgate is going to plug this hole in their schedule, they're running out of options. NDSU is looking better and better.

Go...gate
February 2nd, 2016, 06:15 PM

Colgate has a history of playing "stretch" games.

Why not play the four-time defending National Champion?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 2nd, 2016, 06:44 PM

There's ambition and then there's schedule suicide. Next years team has the chance to be really good. I wouldn't schedule yourselves out of contention before league play starts. Colgate's OOC is strong as it is.

There has to be a way to get a home game. The players deserve to defend their homefield.

Go...gate
February 2nd, 2016, 08:34 PM
There's ambition and then there's schedule suicide. Next years team has the chance to be really good. I wouldn't schedule yourselves out of contention before league play starts. Colgate's OOC is strong as it is.

There has to be a way to get a home game. The players deserve to defend their homefield.

We always disagree on this anyway, but why not play the best team in the Division? It might very well be good for Colgate and the PL (from an SOS standpoint) when tournament selection comes around.

BisonFan02
February 2nd, 2016, 11:14 PM
We always disagree on this anyway, but why not play the best team in the Division? It might very well be good for Colgate and the PL (from an SOS standpoint) when tournament selection comes around.

Win the Patriot league....don't count on an at large bid. You guys beat some good teams in the postseason. Bring on the competition!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 3rd, 2016, 12:25 AM

Because very few teams, if any, schedule like that. I get that you want Colgate to challenge themselves but there becomes a point when it's counterproductive. UNI and EWU have stepped up perhaps more than others lately but they have more pedigree than Colgate. They're also not playing every game on the road.

Colgate will likely get stomped by Syracuse with Babers now at the helm. They'd likely get crushed in the Fargo Dome like everyone else. To me it doesn't take balls to play against someone when you know you're going to lose.

Plus, if you always enters the playoffs with 3-4 losses you're always going to be on the road. Why wouldn't you want to give yourself a chance to host? Play a challenging but intelligent schedule and you'll get the best of both worlds.

The John Chaney school of OOC scheduling doesn't work in football....

CFBfan
February 3rd, 2016, 07:02 AM

at Syracuse followed up by flying to NDSU to play a FBS level team (interestingly both in a dome) is NOT a smart way to start a season.

DFW HOYA
February 3rd, 2016, 09:39 AM
at Syracuse followed up by flying to NDSU to play a FBS level team (interestingly both in a dome) is NOT a smart way to start a season.

But it's a lot more interesting than playing Marist every year.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2016, 09:40 AM

What is better, that or a 10 game schedule?

They could play RPI down the block, but then they'd be pilloried for that here.

maristdb89
February 3rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
But it's a lot more interesting than playing Marist every year.

or Georgetown for that matter, but I guess that's a PL problem for Colgate

Gater
February 3rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
I think most people from Colgate would support playing this game. I think the only hesitation would be playing six out of the first seven on the road with no breaks. I posted this before but starting with Syracuse, NDSU, Yale, and Richmond on the road is about as tough as it gets but man, only playing ten games is sucktacular. I think there would be some real energy in Hamilton if Colgate took this game (assuming it was offered) as opposed to trying to spin a 10 game season as a good thing. Not sure which is an easier path to the playoffs-- playing 7 road games vs. playing 10 games. This team has 20 starters returning and better depth than it has had in a few decades--having NDSU on the schedule would certainly help keep them focused in the off season.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2016, 10:32 AM
Worth mentioning that NDSU wouldn't exactly have a cakewalk schedule themselves, presumably the Kickoff Classic at EWU, a bye, a home game then a game at Iowa.

In another time it would be a layup to schedule a team like RPI at home that week to get a 5th home game, but unfortunately that's not the case today. Too bad someone couldn't flip home games to help out.

DFW HOYA
February 3rd, 2016, 10:56 AM

That wasn't a knock on Marist, only that Georgetown's non-conf. schedule still hasn't the steps that Colgate does. The one year it did (Richmond, Old Dominion, Howard), Kevin Kelly quickly backtracked to the likes of Davidson and Wagner.

Want to get Georgetown students and alumni excited about football? It won't come from games with Marist or Duquesne.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 11:55 AM
That wasn't a knock on Marist, only that Georgetown's non-conf. schedule still hasn't the steps that Colgate does. The one year it did (Richmond, Old Dominion, Howard), Kevin Kelly quickly backtracked to the likes of Davidson and Wagner.

Want to get Georgetown students and alumni excited about football? It won't come from games with Marist or Duquesne.

Nope...it would come from being competitive in the PL...having a real facility...and winning. You could start with funding the program.

Libertine
February 3rd, 2016, 12:39 PM
Georgetown could start with bringing back their old OC Joe Patenaude as head coach. I don't know anything about Sgarlata, the current G'town head coach, so my comments may be slightly out of line there but the last time that the Hoyas were competitive was when Patenaude was their OC. All he's done since then is turn Coastal Carolina into an offensive juggernaut.

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dave_patenaude_792802.html

Go...gate
February 3rd, 2016, 04:34 PM

Still think you guys would be a good addition to the Patriot League.

maristdb89
February 4th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Nope...it would come from being competitive in the PL...having a real facility...and winning. You could start with funding the program.

+1

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2016, 10:13 AM

There's an argument in some circles whether fan support would follow by merely winning, or by showing a major commitment to spend the money to align with other schools that would drive interest, however you define it.

The problem is that PL schools don't drive any interest in the student community. Neither did the MAAC. If Big East or "national private" I-A level schools are the only teams students show interest in, that's a commitment that institutionally isn't there.

maristdb89
February 4th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Still think you guys would be a good addition to the Patriot League.

Thanks and yes I agree. As a full member Marist would be competitive at all sports, except FB. Marist would really need to commit $$$. At present, it's just not there. Wish it were.

maristdb89
February 4th, 2016, 10:26 AM
There's an argument in some circles whether fan support would follow by merely winning, or by showing a major commitment to spend the money to align with other schools that would drive interest, however you define it.

The problem is that PL schools don't drive any interest in the student community. Neither did the MAAC. If Big East or "national private" I-A level schools are the only teams students show interest in, that's a commitment that institutionally isn't there.

Having gone to at least two/three GT games a year and have been since the field on top of Yates, I can say that a better facility and winning would go along way toward attendance and interest. Maybe Sgarlata can build and sustain some movement but I have my doubts.

Go Green
February 4th, 2016, 11:16 AM

Georgetown has sold out MSF every time an Ivy opponent has visited (or at least the ones I've seen).

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Georgetown has sold out MSF every time an Ivy opponent has visited (or at least the ones I've seen).

The visitors side always sold out, which is not unreasonable with just 800 seats.

The students, a lot less so.

PAllen
February 4th, 2016, 01:53 PM

PL/Ivy level commitment isn't there. Moving from the roof of the gym to a bunch of "temporary" bleachers in the parking lot is not a commitment to anything more than being competitive in the now defunct MAAC. A real stadium, a little marketing, and yes, a little winning would create plenty of interest for games against PL and Ivy opponents. If you guys think that you're ever going to be hosting Syracuse or Maryland on Saturday afternoons, then you're just delusional.

Go Green
February 5th, 2016, 05:13 AM
. If you guys think that you're ever going to be hosting Syracuse or Maryland on Saturday afternoons, then you're just delusional.

Not at MSF. But they could at RFK Stadium if they really tried.

PAllen
February 5th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Not at MSF. But they could at RFK Stadium if they really tried.

You might be able to talk Maryland into a game at Fedex against JMU, but not RFK for Georgetown.

Sader87
February 5th, 2016, 09:52 AM
I'm curious as to what the thinking was/is for dropping the Bryant series? No more NEC games going forward?

Go...gate
February 5th, 2016, 04:58 PM
I understand that our Board of Trustees did have some input on the decision. I don't think it has anything to do with the NEC, however.

ccd494
February 5th, 2016, 08:45 PM
PL/Ivy level commitment isn't there. Moving from the roof of the gym to a bunch of "temporary" bleachers in the parking lot is not a commitment to anything more than being competitive in the now defunct MAAC. A real stadium, a little marketing, and yes, a little winning would create plenty of interest for games against PL and Ivy opponents. If you guys think that you're ever going to be hosting Syracuse or Maryland on Saturday afternoons, then you're just delusional.

He's not saying that is what Georgetown will realistically do, he is saying that is possibly what it would take for the Georgetown student body/area fans to care. And if that is the case, because it isn't going to happen...

Georgetown fans are still whining about slumming it in the New Big East, despite the fact that there are 6 top 50 teams in the league (Georgetown not being one of them), including 3 who have spent big chunks of the season in the top 10 (Villanova, Xavier, Providence). At some point, Georgetown's problem is its own snobbish fans.

NY Crusader 2010
February 5th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I like the NDSU idea. Many FCS schools have played two FBS games in one year and going on the road against 'Cuse and NDSU is essentially the same thing. Getting just four home games sucks but not as bad as playing a ten-game season. If I were them, I'd also look into finding a somewhat local D-II with an open date to get a fifth game at Kerr.

BucBisonAtLarge
February 6th, 2016, 12:03 AM
He's not saying that is what Georgetown will realistically do, he is saying that is possibly what it would take for the Georgetown student body/area fans to care. And if that is the case, because it isn't going to happen...

Georgetown fans are still whining about slumming it in the New Big East, despite the fact that there are 6 top 50 teams in the league (Georgetown not being one of them), including 3 who have spent big chunks of the season in the top 10 (Villanova, Xavier, Providence). At some point, Georgetown's problem is its own snobbish fans.

+1

aceinthehole
February 6th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I understand that our Board of Trustees did have some input on the decision. I don't think it has anything to do with the NEC, however.

FYI - Bryant announced their 11-game schedule which includes Montana State, Brown, Maine, and Coastal Carolina.

CFBfan
February 6th, 2016, 02:20 PM
FYI - Bryant announced their 11-game schedule which includes Montana State, Brown, Maine, and Coastal Carolina.

looks like they replaced Colgate with Montana, good for them and Gate still sits with an open date

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 6th, 2016, 05:50 PM
looks like they replaced Colgate with Montana, good for them and Gate still sits with an open date

Big difference between Montana and Montana State right now. Colgate will be better than the Bobcats this year.

I saw Monmouth play out there a few years when I was living in Bozeman.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 6th, 2016, 08:15 PM
You have to wonder if $$$ was the reason for this.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 6th, 2016, 10:48 PM
I like the NDSU idea. Many FCS schools have played two FBS games in one year and going on the road against 'Cuse and NDSU is essentially the same thing. Getting just four home games sucks but not as bad as playing a ten-game season. If I were them, I'd also look into finding a somewhat local D-II with an open date to get a fifth game at Kerr.

I would go the D2 route as well. The PL schools have avoided D2 games like a plague but there's no shame in doing it under these circumstances. Besides, Colgate likes playing up. So why not afford a D2 school the same opportunity?

It's a shame SUNY-Cortland is D3. They usually have a damn good team. I'm actually surprised they're D3 given their facilities and location. I have a friend who played for the Red Dragons....

Lehigh Football Nation
February 6th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Hard to get more local than Hamilton College, but they are D-III.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 6th, 2016, 11:26 PM
Hard to get more local than Hamilton College, but they are D-III.

There's some attractive schools in NY but they're mostly D3. Ithaca would be fun if they were D2....

Maybe there's a PSAC team that can make the trip. Bloomsburg would be an interesting opponent. I think the Huskies, generally speaking, could compete in the PL....

Go...gate
February 7th, 2016, 01:42 AM

+1

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to see Colgate playing a D-II or D-III. Looks like a 10-game slate.

CFBfan
February 7th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Big difference between Montana and Montana State right now. Colgate will be better than the Bobcats this year.

I saw Monmouth play out there a few years when I was living in Bozeman.

I don't disagree, good for Bryant because gate dropped them yet they picked up a game (and gate has not, kinda makes you wonder).

Lehigh Football Nation
February 7th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I don't disagree, good for Bryant because gate dropped them yet they picked up a game (and gate has not, kinda makes you wonder).

I don't know how it went down, but I don't think that's how it went down.

*cough* Furmaned *cough*

aceinthehole
February 7th, 2016, 05:26 PM
I don't know how it went down, but I don't think that's how it went down.

*cough* Furmaned *cough*

Stop it, if you don't know, then you don't know.

Go Gate said their BOT had some input. All indications are this was Colgate's decision, not Bryant.

DFW HOYA
February 7th, 2016, 06:44 PM
The only reason why an 11th game (with anyone short of the College of Faith) makes sense is the schedule: in the current 10 game set, the Red Raiders have only one home game before Oct. 29.

http://gocolgateraiders.com.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/2015/8/28/Colgate_Future_Football_Schedules_2016_1789.pdf

PAllen
February 7th, 2016, 07:41 PM

It's a whole lot easier to fill an away game than a home game.

dewey
February 7th, 2016, 09:06 PM

5 time defending National Champions :D

Dewey

Go...gate
February 7th, 2016, 09:45 PM
5 time defending National Champions :D

Dewey

Sorry about that, Dewey! xbeerchugx

dewey
February 7th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Sorry about that, Dewey! xbeerchugx

No worriesxthumbsupx

Dewey

Go Green
February 8th, 2016, 07:28 AM
in the current 10 game set, the Red Raiders have only one home game before Oct. 29.

http://gocolgateraiders.com.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/2015/8/28/Colgate_Future_Football_Schedules_2016_1789.pdf

And that one home game is against Cornell, which is hardly an "away" game for the Big Red.

Dang.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 8th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Stop it, if you don't know, then you don't know.

Go Gate said their BOT had some input. All indications are this was Colgate's decision, not Bryant.

Why would Colgate 1) willingly only have 4 home games, and 2) willingly have a 10 game schedule?

All indications are that Bryant left Colgate with a problem.

aceinthehole
February 8th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Why would Colgate 1) willingly only have 4 home games, and 2) willingly have a 10 game schedule?

All indications are that Bryant left Colgate with a problem.

All indications are that you like to speculate.

Let a 'gate fan explain what happened - why did they cancel the front end of a home/home deal? Bryant may have filled the game this year, but they also have to find a another home game in 2017.

Gate83
February 9th, 2016, 11:54 AM
So I was the one who said Colgate's BOT directed athletics to get out of the Bryant home and home... because that's what I was told by a Trustee (and subsequently confirmed with athletics staff). Was told we were "working on" getting an 11th game, which sounded imminent in the Fall but hasn't happened as yet. No idea if plans fell through or I just misread how quickly we were planning to fill the hole in the schedule. Reasoning behind dropping the games was that Bryant is not a traditional opponent and that with scholarships we will go back to looking for "stretch" games when not playing our historic rivals. Certainly the Bison would qualify as a stretch!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 9th, 2016, 12:18 PM
So I was the one who said Colgate's BOT directed athletics to get out of the Bryant home and home... because that's what I was told by a Trustee (and subsequently confirmed with athletics staff). Was told we were "working on" getting an 11th game, which sounded imminent in the Fall but hasn't happened as yet. No idea if plans fell through or I just misread how quickly we were planning to fill the hole in the schedule. Reasoning behind dropping the games was that Bryant is not a traditional opponent and that with scholarships we will go back to looking for "stretch" games when not playing our historic rivals. Certainly the Bison would qualify as a stretch!

Thanks for clarifying. It is really strange to have 11 games, opt out for 10, and then not have a Plan B to get back to 11, but that appears to be what's happening here.

Let's all hope for everyone's sakes that the Bison are indeed the plan.