PDA

View Full Version : SLC Recruiting Team Rankings 2016

Catatonic
January 25th, 2016, 06:09 AM
247 Sports Recruiting Rankings (not counting this past weekend) for the Southland Conference. FWIW, Lamar is the top ranked team in FCS as well as the Southland Conference. Interesting and a huge jump for them from the past couple of years.

National Rank (includes all D1 & 2 teams)

116. Lamar
129. SFA
134. Sam Houston
135. ACU
136. McNeese
140. UCA
150. Northwestern St.
156. SELA
158. Nichols
220. UIW
UR HBU

FormerPokeCenter
January 25th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Let's revisit this list in five years ;)

Once upon a time, Northwestern - fueled by the florid pen of my friend Doug Ireland, their SID - had the highest ranked recruting classes in FCS for two or three years in a row...

Unfortunately, the potential of those classes never materialized...

The real way to rank recruiting classes is when they're marching across the stage to get their diplomas. THEN, and only then do you really have a feel for how good a recruting class is...

In my opinion...

McNeese72
January 25th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Let's revisit this list in five years ;)

Once upon a time, Northwestern - fueled by the florid pen of my friend Doug Ireland, their SID - had the highest ranked recruting classes in FCS for two or three years in a row...

Unfortunately, the potential of those classes never materialized...

The real way to rank recruiting classes is when they're marching across the stage to get their diplomas. THEN, and only then do you really have a feel for how good a recruting class is...

In my opinion...

Yep, that's what I keep telling people every year. That's the time to evaluate a recruiting class. Not now!

And the schools are all going to hype their classes. How many times are you going to hear a coach say that their recruiting class this year sucked.

What coach said (paraphrasing here because I don't remember the exact quote): "You got to coach the ones you got not the ones you didn't"? :)

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
January 25th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Bear Bryant?

Or Steve Spurrier?

BEAR
January 25th, 2016, 12:18 PM
I figure my Bears will probably get picked middle to lower of the pack and get a first place vote from Crank Crunk...... and as usual end up second in conference. Screw these rankings. I guess if you have to look at how well the classes went look back 4 to 5 years and see how the class is doing now as Cowboy fans have said.

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2016, 11:44 PM
247 Sports Recruiting Rankings (not counting this past weekend) for the Southland Conference. FWIW, Lamar is the top ranked team in FCS as well as the Southland Conference. Interesting and a huge jump for them from the past couple of years.

National Rank (includes all D1 & 2 teams)

116. Lamar
129. SFA
134. Sam Houston
135. ACU
136. McNeese
140. UCA
150. Northwestern St.
156. SELA
158. Nichols
220. UIW
UR HBU

I think this list will look a little different once all the returns are in. That said, attempting to rank FCS recruiting classes is a pretty flawed process. The only way to really do it is the old fashioned way of comparing game film of every recruit, determining who filled the most needs, and who brought in the biggest number of impact guys. This has been said countless times, but recruiting services such as 247, rank kids based on their offer sheet, and a lot of these grades are given during the summer camp circuit when everybody gets "offered" by FBS schools. As the offers dwindle during the season, the ratings rarely change. That's how 3-star kids fall to FCS schools. Either that or there's some other underlying issue. But as others have stated, let's see how it plays out in four to five years.

SFA 93
January 27th, 2016, 07:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PzpztFJZP8

SFA Commits

WR: Alex Gregory 6-1; 180 Nacogodoches, Texas (Nacogodoches) 4.3 spd

CB: Aaron Foy 5-10; 180 Kilgore, Texas (Kilgore/Navarro) 4.3 spd.

CB: Trenton Perriman 6-0; 180 Miami, Florida (Northwestern/Golden West College) JUCO 4.35 spd.

ATH: Tamrick Pace 6-2; 193 Brownsboro, Texas (Brownsboro) 4.36 spd

FS: Denzel Green 6-4; 190 Texarkana, Texas (Liberty-Eylau) 4.4 spd.

RB: Joshua McGowen 5-10; 195 McAllen, Texas (McAllen) 4.4 spd.

WR: Thomas Nolley 6-3; 205 Forth Worth, Texas (South Hills) 4.4 spd.

RB: Jamall Shaw 6-0; 200 Broken Bow, Oklahoma (Broken Bow) 4.4 spd

ATH: Zach Hall 5-11; 170 Tyler, Texas (Lee) 4.5 spd.

RB: Chase Smith 5-8; 180 Azle, Texas (Azle) 4.5 spd.

SS: Trey Ramos 6-1; 180 Azle, Texas (Azle) 4.5 spd.

Nickels
January 27th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I think this list will look a little different once all the returns are in
and SELA players get off house arrest...

lionsrking2
January 28th, 2016, 01:49 AM

SFA Commits

CB: Trenton Perriman 6-0; 180 Miami, Florida (Northwestern/Golden West College) JUCO 4.35 spd.

RB: Joshua McGowen 5-10; 195 McAllen, Texas (McAllen) 4.4 spd.

RB: Chase Smith 5-8; 180 Azle, Texas (Azle) 4.5 spd.

Damn, looks like the Lumberjacks will have the fastest signing class in the history of college football. Maybe pro football too. xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
January 28th, 2016, 07:24 AM

SFA Commits

RB:Joshua McGowen 5-10; 195 McAllen, Texas (McAllen) 4.4 spd.

RB:Chase Smith 5-8; 180 Azle, Texas (Azle) 4.5 spd.

40 yard dash times are great...provided they're legitimate....and provided the guys being timed can carry their pads...

I didn't go very deep in my research, but the first guy on your list, Alex Gregory has a 21.69 in the 200 meters at his district track meet, which is a pretty nice time...I would, however, expect him to be somewhat faster than that with a 4.3 in the 40...and I would expect a legitimate 4.3 guy to easily break 11.00 in the 100 meters and finish in the top 6 at the same meet. Maybe he false started in the 100 or something. Three of the top six guys in that race were slower than 11.00.

For comparison purposes, I played in college with a guy named Theron McClendon, who was a legitimate 4.3...and a guy named Stephen Starring, who was a legitimate 4.26....

They had 100 meter dash times of 10.35 and 10.28.

Your guy has nice wheels, but I'm fairly well skeptical of the 4.3.

Catatonic
January 28th, 2016, 07:41 AM
40 yard dash times are great...provided they're legitimate....and provided the guys being timed can carry their pads....

If they were legit electronically timed results they would have more team speed than Alabama, as Lionsking2 has pointed out.
Not that they are lying about their times but they are probably hand held stop watch times that may or may not have been wind aided.

FormerPokeCenter
January 28th, 2016, 07:47 AM
LOL..thanks for the assist. Us former offensive linemen are kinda clueless when it comes to how speed works...or how it's timed ;)

Catatonic
January 28th, 2016, 07:50 AM
LOL..thanks for the assist. Us former offensive linemen are kinda clueless when it comes to how speed works...or how it's timed ;)

I'm thinking ACU should report times from a hand held device on a nice windy West Texas day. Offensive linemen could prolly break the 4.4 mark with 40 mph gusts pushing em along.

6'7 310 4.45 in the 40. That should be enough to intimidate other schools.

FormerPokeCenter
January 28th, 2016, 07:53 AM
I was kidding....I actually RAN track in college ;)

Darryl Green, of Texas A&I, turned in a 10.08 when he was college...at Abilene, I think. His next fastest time was 10.25, which ain't shabby at ALL, but it speaks to the winds in your neck of the woods..

BEAR
January 28th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I think last time SFA had that kind of speed was 2009 and 2010...pretty good years for that school.

Sammy94
January 28th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Maty Mauk to SELA, heard it here first.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2016/01/28/missouri-tigers-dismiss-quarterback-maty-mauk/79464570/

FormerPokeCenter
January 28th, 2016, 03:00 PM
SELA's taking a troubled QB???

I'm shocked!!!!! ;)

SFA 93
January 28th, 2016, 03:13 PM
The coaching staff is really excited about the incoming class of 23+ recruits and the explosiveness and athleticism they feel they have assembled.

Coach Conque and Williamson and staff are on a roll.

We will see in a few years the result as we plays Mississippi State in 2018 😎

McNeese72
January 28th, 2016, 05:25 PM
The coaching staff is really excited about the incoming class of 23+ recruits and the explosiveness and athleticism they feel they have assembled.

Coach Conque and Williamson and staff are on a roll.

We will see in a few years the result as we plays Mississippi State in 2018 

I have never seen a coaching staff that wasn't, at least publicly, excited about their recruiting class. ;)

Doc

SFA 93
January 28th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Class is taking a hit to the FBS

5 commits have now decommitted from SFA as we near signing date.

LB: Dylan Parsee 6-3; 215 San Angelo, Texas (Central) to UTEP
OL: Noah Lopez 6-4; 280 Katy, Texas (Katy) to New Mexico State
WR: Thomas Nolley 6-3; 205 Forth Worth, Texas (South Hills) ** (Rivals) ** (247Sports) to Tulsa
CB: Semaj Lewis 5-9; 150 New Orleans, Louisiana (De La Sallle) ** (247Sports) #126 State; ** (Rivals) Offer from North Texas, interest from Tulane, Texas A&M, ULL
RB: Israel Tucker 5-9; 190 Metairie, Louisiana (Archbishop Rummel) to Louisiana Tech

BEAR
January 28th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Class is taking a hit to the FBS

5 commits have now decommitted from SFA as we near signing date.

LB: Dylan Parsee 6-3; 215 San Angelo, Texas (Central) to UTEP
OL: Noah Lopez 6-4; 280 Katy, Texas (Katy) to New Mexico State
WR: Thomas Nolley 6-3; 205 Forth Worth, Texas (South Hills) ** (Rivals) ** (247Sports) to Tulsa
CB: Semaj Lewis 5-9; 150 New Orleans, Louisiana (De La Sallle) ** (247Sports) #126 State; ** (Rivals) Offer from North Texas, interest from Tulane, Texas A&M, ULL
RB: Israel Tucker 5-9; 190 Metairie, Louisiana (Archbishop Rummel) to Louisiana Tech

Of course it is. Happens in every program.

McNeese75
January 29th, 2016, 03:16 PM
The Hyenas are on the loose

Catatonic
February 2nd, 2016, 07:46 AM
Updated SLC Rankings on the eve of NSD....and before 247 downgrades guys who sign with FCS schools.

SLC and (All Schools) rank:

1 (129) Lamar
2 (137) Stephen F Austin
3 (139) Sam Houston
4 (140) ACU
5 (143) UCA
6 (147) Southeastern LA
7 (149) McNeese
8 (156) Northwestern St
9 (174) Nicholls St
10 (207) Houston Baptist
11 (210) UIW

BEAR
February 2nd, 2016, 07:56 AM
Updated SLC Rankings on the eve of NSD....and before 247 downgrades guys who sign with FCS schools.

1 (129) Lamar
2 (137) Stephen F Austin
3 (139) Sam Houston
4 (140) ACU
5 (143) UCA
6 (147) Southeastern LA
7 (149) McNeese
8 (156) Northwestern St
9 (174) Nicholls St
10 (207) Houston Baptist
11 (210) UIW

Well we know a 3 star kid that gets offers from major schools but chooses an FCS school because he wants to stay close to home to help his sick parents must not really be a 3 star kid....xlolx

Ranked (picked) 5th again.....looks like another year of second place trophies for the Bears. . xeyebrowxxlolx

Catatonic
February 2nd, 2016, 08:24 AM
Well we know a 3 star kid that gets offers from major schools but chooses an FCS school because he wants to stay close to home to help his sick parents must not really be a 3 star kid....xlolx

Ranked (picked) 5th again.....looks like another year of second place trophies for the Bears. . xeyebrowxxlolx

247 doesn't count all those mid year and summer juco transfers your coach seems to like. But I am guessin you knew that.

SFA 93
February 2nd, 2016, 08:56 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaKS_5SVAAAoUrH.jpg:large

BEAR
February 2nd, 2016, 09:57 AM
247 doesn't count all those mid year and summer juco transfers your coach seems to like. But I am guessin you knew that.

Considering we lost about 30 seniors it good he only picks up 6 or 7 community college guys..not those SEC school guys some in our conference pick up. Conque was known for getting those..haven't looked to see if he still does. I don't believe our roster will have a major college player left on it to start the 2016 campaign. Plus his high school recruiting has basically been Arkansas kids with a few Texas, Mississippi, Florida and maybe Georgia mixed in. But so far NO SEC kids.

Joe Hampton 2 star WR Little Rock Christian
Chris Kershner 2 star WR Dardanelle
Justin Meadows WR Lonoke
Jackie Harvell 2 star RB Gurdon
Breylin Smith 2 star QB Conway
Austin Norris 2 star DL Conway
Brandon Northcross 2 star DB Ashdown
Carlos Blackman RB Gosnell

Either way we have a TON of holes to fill.

Catatonic
February 2nd, 2016, 10:33 AM
Considering we lost about 30 seniors it good he only picks up 6 or 7 community college guys..not those SEC school guys some in our conference pick up. Conque was known for getting those..haven't looked to see if he still does. I don't believe our roster will have a major college player left on it to start the 2016 campaign. Plus his high school recruiting has basically been Arkansas kids with a few Texas, Mississippi, Florida and maybe Georgia mixed in. But so far NO SEC kids.

Joe Hampton 2 star WR Little Rock Christian
Chris Kershner 2 star WR Dardanelle
Justin Meadows WR Lonoke
Jackie Harvell 2 star RB Gurdon
Breylin Smith 2 star QB Conway
Austin Norris 2 star DL Conway
Brandon Northcross 2 star DB Ashdown
Carlos Blackman RB Gosnell

Either way we have a TON of holes to fill.

That strategy makes a lot of sense. Arkansas does not have as many D1 level recruits as Texas, but neither is it as heavily recruited. Lots of solid players in your state.

centexguy
February 2nd, 2016, 10:57 AM

1 (129) Lamar
2 (137) Stephen F Austin
3 (139) Sam Houston
4 (140) ACU
5 (143) UCA
6 (147) Southeastern LA
7 (149) McNeese
8 (156) Northwestern St
9 (174) Nicholls St
10 (207) Houston Baptist
11 (210) UIW

The downgrading has already started. Lamar commits Daniel and David Crosley were 3 star players until late last week, now they have 2 stars. But of course it doesn't really matter that much. Kade Harrington was unranked out of high school and Reggie Begelton was a walk-on but both made SLC first team this year.

BEAR
February 2nd, 2016, 11:28 AM
That strategy makes a lot of sense. Arkansas does not have as many D1 level recruits as Texas, but neither is it as heavily recruited. Lots of solid players in your state.

People here just don't get it when I say next year I am going to tailgate. I really mean that. The football team losing a third of the roster is huge. If I expect to win the conference with those numbers gone I'm just being optimistic...overly optimistic. But grillin' and cheering on the team hasn't changed for me in nearly 30 years. Two years down the road I'll take MANY road trips...but for now with this class I can say tailgating may be more of a priority. xlolx

lionsrking2
February 2nd, 2016, 12:18 PM
A reminder as to how relevant the star rating system is. Robert Alford had zero stars and zero offers when he signed with us out of Hammond High School in 2008. He went on to become a 2nd round NFL draft choice and is a starting CB for the Atlanta Falcons. He also recorded the fastest on field running speed in the NFL this season at 22.60 mph.

Harlan Miller just finished playing in the Senior Bowl and will likely follow in Robert's footsteps as a high NFL draft pick. He also had zero stars and zero offers when we signed him out of nearby Kentwood High School in 2012.

There are plenty of other examples around the conference as well as the rest of the country. Bottom line is many of the real stars are often tucked away with little fanfare coming out of high school. Trust your coaching staff to evaluate and develop.

FormerPokeCenter
February 2nd, 2016, 03:10 PM
My Freshman year, we were doing one on one drills...and we had a walk-on OT who was absolutely schooling a HS All-American DE..

It got so bad, that the DL coach cracked on the DE...."Ced, maybe you better show him your newspaper clippings. I don't think he believes you were really an All-American. And based on the way he's whipping your ass, I'm kinda doubting it, myself"....

SFA 93
February 2nd, 2016, 04:54 PM
So far for the 2016 class Conque has stuck with JUCO and high school players.

Not one FBS transfer right now, but that could always change though.

Loaded up on JUCO Players

DB: Trent Perriman 5-11; 180 Jr. Miami, Florida (Golden West College)
DB: Aaron Foy 5-10; 180 Jr. Kilgore, Texas (Navarro College)
RB: Kijana Amous 5-11; 210 Jr. Mansfield, Texas (Navarro College)
K: Troy Duran 6-1; 175 So. Longview, Texas (Kilgore College)
OL: Josh Keith 6-7; 328 Jr. Katy, Texas (Blinn College)
TE: Nick Jones 6-3; 265 Jr. Brownsboro, Texas (Trinity Valley C.C.)
DL: James Barron 6-3; 260 So. Tyler, Texas (Southwestern Oklahoma)
DT: Shaquille Anderson 6-1; 310 So. Greenville, Texas (Tyler JC)
DB: Elijah Boyd 6-0; 175 Jr. Athens, Texas (Trinity Valley C.C.)

Bisonoline
February 2nd, 2016, 08:33 PM
My Freshman year, we were doing one on one drills...and we had a walk-on OT who was absolutely schooling a HS All-American DE..

It got so bad, that the DL coach cracked on the DE...."Ced, maybe you better show him your newspaper clippings. I don't think he believes you were really an All-American. And based on the way he's whipping your ass, I'm kinda doubting it, myself"....

xlolxxlolx