PDA

View Full Version : Saint Louis Billikens Football

Model Citizen
January 19th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Got the following in the mail yesterday. Weird. I thought it was a holiday or something.

"Dear Sir,

Please pass along my endorsement to certain members of that D-II (sic) football board who want to resurrect football at Saint Louis University. Did you know that adorable, chubby, bald mascot--the Billiken--actually started with football? Time to bring the sport back.

Now, I don't see a D-I program that would play downtown in the dome. Rather the Pioneer Football League would be the way to go. Just tear down a bunch of vacant houses near campus, and you'll have a fine football field in no time.

The PFL is wonderful league, run by the Missouri Valley Conference. I kept telling those priests that the Billikens should have gone back to the Valley. At any rate, I wish I could see Ray Giacoletti again, since he now comes to town for the conference tournament...like clockwork, he and his team are there on Thursday night.

Eternally Yours,

Rick@LoRusso's"

dgtw
January 19th, 2016, 05:43 PM
I wonder if they wanted to play FBS if C-USA would take them in. They got kicked out when Charlotte did for not having a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
January 19th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Saint Louis actually competed in the Missouri Valley in football (and without) until 1974. Not sure if there is any love lost with the current Missouri Valley folks and the Billikens.

clenz
January 19th, 2016, 06:23 PM
MVC would love to have SLU back, with or without football they play their home games just blocks from where the MVC tournament is hosted, at the Scott Trade Center

It's SLU that's been the issue for the last decade or two

DFW HOYA
January 19th, 2016, 07:28 PM
St. Louis already has a field. Exhibit 1: Herrmann Stadium, capacity 6,000.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/JO/JOPKWZZTJKGKKRR.20120731144005.jpg

BisonFan02
January 19th, 2016, 07:44 PM

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/JO/JOPKWZZTJKGKKRR.20120731144005.jpg

.............and if that got them into the MVFC (and not the Pioneer) in order to draw them somehow to the MVC...I would lose my ****ing mind. xlolx

ST_Lawson
January 19th, 2016, 08:19 PM
.............and if that got them into the MVFC (and not the Pioneer) in order to draw them somehow to the MVC...I would lose my ****ing mind. xlolx

I would think they'd be much more likely to go the Drake route (if they want to have football and join the MVC for other sports). Pioneer non-scholarship football (at least to start with), MVC other sports. Or even just stay in the A10 for other sports, like Dayton and Davidson.

I really don't see them joining the MVFC, not right away anyway. If they really want to play football in the MVFC, they will likely have to do some upgrading of facilities (or at least, have the plans and timeline for getting them upgraded in the near future).

clenz
January 19th, 2016, 08:39 PM

Why? You don't give a damn about he MVC anyway. XCoffeex

I'd take Drake and SLU in the MVFC in a heart beat. Creates that top, middle, bottom with enough teams to keep the top from playing too much of the top, the bottom only playing middle and top and the middle only playing bottom

Boost the hell out of records that way

What if we traded SLU for UND in the Summit/MVFC

Also lets be real, while not as big as the rest of the MVFC stadiums it's every bit as nice looking as WIU, better than ISUb, better than USD, essentially pre-reno ISUr and SDSU.

Go...gate
January 19th, 2016, 08:52 PM

Nice ballpark!

BisonFan02
January 19th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Why? You don't give a damn about he MVC anyway. XCoffeex

I'd take Drake and SLU in the MVFC in a heart beat. Creates that top, middle, bottom with enough teams to keep the top from playing too much of the top, the bottom only playing middle and top and the middle only playing bottom

Boost the hell out of records that way

What if we traded SLU for UND in the Summit/MVFC

Also lets be real, while not as big as the rest of the MVFC stadiums it's every bit as nice looking as WIU, better than ISUb, better than USD, essentially pre-reno ISUr and SDSU.

I don't.....unless it pertains to the MVFC. That was all I was going for in the statement. My feelings about the MVFC, Summit, and MVC are WELL documented. :D I don't see this even having a possibility of happening (why would SLU push for a scholly football home in order to move their non-fb sports to the MVC anyway?), but if the MVFC were forced somehow as a conduit for the MVC to draw a basketball school (bringing in a half assed FB team), that is where I would have a problem. The pioneer exists for many as a means to have a "DI" football team (including Drake)...the scholarships would be the issue.

Model Citizen
January 19th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Majerus jokes aside, SLU is not going to bring back football at any level.

If you're looking for a private school football startup in the Midwest, Detroit is the favorite. I'd give the Titans about a 20 percent chance of getting a team under the current president and AD. Chances improve if the Ivy-PFL bowl ever happens.

Drake? Not going back to being a fully funded I-AA. That was a financial failure in the 1980s, and Drake's tuition has done nothing but go up since then.

Sader87
January 19th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Pat Leahy NY Jets K in the 70s/80s was a SLU grad

ccd494
January 20th, 2016, 08:57 AM
There's no way the soccer community in St. Louis lets FCS football tear up that field. SLU soccer has 10 national titles and is a historic power. Saint Louis has been the heartland of American soccer for a long time. Nothing destroys a natural grass field like football, and SLU soccer has enough clout to keep any startup football team off Herrmann Field (the same guy college soccer's version of the Heisman is named after).

ST_Lawson
January 20th, 2016, 09:07 AM
There's no way the soccer community in St. Louis lets FCS football tear up that field. SLU soccer has 10 national titles and is a historic power. Saint Louis has been the heartland of American soccer for a long time. Nothing destroys a natural grass field like football, and SLU soccer has enough clout to keep any startup football team off Herrmann Field (the same guy college soccer's version of the Heisman is named after).

I hear there's a fairly large domed stadium downtown that's going to be relatively unused next football season.

clenz
January 20th, 2016, 09:14 AM
I hear there's a fairly large domed stadium downtown that's going to be relatively unused next football season.
If they are going to be in a 60k plus seat stadium, they sure as hell ain't playing PFL or MVFC.

BisonFan02
January 20th, 2016, 09:16 AM
If they are going to be in a 60k plus seat stadium, they sure as hell ain't playing PFL or MVFC.

Sparsely filled domed stadiums belong in the Sunbelt.

UNIFanSince1983
January 20th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Let's be honest SLU thinks they are better than the MVC. They were really hoping for the Big East to call when that Catholic split happened. They are honestly probably still waiting for that Big East invite.

ST_Lawson
January 20th, 2016, 09:38 AM

There's an Ohio Valley team playing in a 69k seat stadium. If SLU were to start up football (a pretty big and fairly unlikely "if", I'd say), closing off the upper levels and playing in the dome might be an option for a few years until they found a more permanent solution (like building a Drake-sized football stadium where their current track is: https://goo.gl/maps/qogyMwQ4WLk )

clenz
January 20th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Let's be honest SLU thinks they are better than the MVC. They were really hoping for the Big East to call when that Catholic split happened. They are honestly probably still waiting for that Big East invite.
I'm starting to wonder if they are starting to realize it won't happen

Problem for the MVC is they couldn't attract SLU before Creighton left. That will hurt

UNIFanSince1983
January 20th, 2016, 09:47 AM

Problem for the MVC is they couldn't attract SLU before Creighton left. That will hurt

Yeah I don't see SLU joining the MVC. They will keep holding out hope that the Big East will come calling.

Plus we would need to add someone else too if SLU were to join.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 20th, 2016, 09:49 AM
If SLU ever wanted to sponsor football at any level - PFL, MVC, or AAC - there would be no better time in history to do so than now. The Rams' departure, lack of enthusiasm for replacing them, and a huge dome which is practically begging for a new long-term tenant - I have to believe SLU could probably get a sweetheart deal to play at Edward Jones. However, I don't think SLU does that deal for PFL or MVFC football, I agree.

The real question is whether anyone at SLU is smart enough or visionary enough to even look into something like this. Probably not.

ccd494
January 20th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I don't see what they have to gain. Spending $1,000,000+ a year to join the AAC instead of the A-10 gets them........?

They are better off waiting and hoping the Big East wants to give Creighton a travel partner. The Big East is a better basketball conference than the AAC anyways.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 20th, 2016, 11:13 AM
I don't see what they have to gain. Spending $1,000,000+ a year to join the AAC instead of the A-10 gets them........

... two and a half times the recruiting territory (Tulane, UCF/USF, Houston) and improving basketball quite a bit (UConn, SMU). Travel costs would be greater.... maybe. St. Louis is a logical middle point between Houston and UConn in the conference.

ccd494
January 20th, 2016, 11:18 AM
... two and a half times the recruiting territory (Tulane, UCF/USF, Houston) and improving basketball quite a bit (UConn, SMU). Travel costs would be greater.... maybe. St. Louis is a logical middle point between Houston and UConn in the conference.

The recruiting territory for what? Basketball or football? Their basketball roster has:

2 Chicagoland
2 downstate Illinois
2 NYC
2 St. Louis
2 Indiana
1 Memphis
1 Western Canada
1 Texas
1 Greece
1 Upstate NY

Seems like they are recruiting nationally as is.

clenz
January 20th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I don't see what they have to gain. Spending $1,000,000+ a year to join the AAC instead of the A-10 gets them........?

They are better off waiting and hoping the Big East wants to give Creighton a travel partner. The Big East is a better basketball conference than the AAC anyways.
450 miles apart isn't a travel partner.

It's 100 miles closer to Xavier and Marquette than Creighton.

Laker
January 20th, 2016, 02:29 PM
They would need a super sugar daddy to start football in a city that has lost two NFL teams. Same thing with hockey in a city that likes the Blues.

I just don't see it happening.

ccd494
January 20th, 2016, 02:45 PM
A lot of times schools, teams, companies, etc. are better off just staying in their own lane.

What underrepresented college football fans in St. Louis aren't already fans of Illinois or Mizzou? The number of people out there who will go to a college football game that they have no affiliation to just because it is in their town is pretty low.

Model Citizen
January 20th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Joining the AAC...ok, I missed the transition to this discussion of Wichita State. Maybe the Shockers will join around 2025?

clenz
January 26th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Well...there's this in regards to a stadium as well

http://fox2now.com/2016/01/25/new-plans-for-mls-stadium-near-union-station/

ST. LOUIS (KTVI) - With strong support for Major League Soccer in St. Louis, there's hope designs for a new stadium will generate interest. Specifically, a stadium located immediately south of Union Station.
"People love soccer. People love sports. It's great that we're talking about downtown locations," Jeremy Clagett of Space Architecture + Design said.
Space showed FOX 2 designs calling for a sunken stadium adjacent to the historic landmark. Much of the area is currently used as a parking lot. But the street that backs up to it might ring a bell.
"We've kind of been interested in this idea of developing Clark as the greatest sports street in America," Clagett said. "You get three stadiums located around it and all the amenities that come with that."
In essence, Clark would become the sports corridor for St. Louis. Clagett added the density of the area makes it ideal for the massive infill project.
But why not the North Riverfront, the site of the proposed NFL stadium?
Alex Ihnen, Space Director of Development and nextstl.com founder said size makes a difference.
"One thing of a soccer stadium is that it's maybe half the footprint of an NFL stadium. So it can fit places where an NFL stadium can't," he said. "This has the opportunity of coming through an iconic train station, that thousands of thousands of people have come and gone from before. So it serves as this great entrance. And then you're in there for an event. And then you're connected to downtown."
The MLS stadium designs were initiated by the firm about two years ago, and were recently introduced following the Rams departure from St. Louis.

For those unfamiliar with St. Louis, Union Station is right on the west side of down town, right next to the Scott Trade Center (Blues play, MVC tournament, NCAA tournament host for BB, NCAA wrestling championships), about a 10 minute walk from Busch Stadium and the Arch.

Oh...and a 5 minute walk from SLU's campus.

Also, talk about a great place to challenge Frisco for the title game....Average temp difference is only 10 degrees, and still above 40*

Lehigh Football Nation
January 26th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Though I agree, that would be really cool, it also seems weird that there would be this brand-new stadium when the old NFL stadium isn't even paid off yet.

Having said that... if MLS were to make a stadium there, SLU would have a lot more options in terms of kick-starting a football program. It's not hard to see SLU with a PFL or MVFC team in an MLS stadium, but definitely hard to see them in Ed Jones at that level.

clenz
January 26th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Though I agree, that would be really, it also seems weird that there would be this brand-new stadium when the old NFL stadium isn't even paid off yet.

Having said that... if MLS were to make a stadium there, SLU would have a lot more options in terms of kick-starting a football program. It's not hard to see SLU with a PFL or MVFC team in an MLS stadium, but definitely hard to see them in Ed Jones at that level.
StL will get the NFL to pay the rest of the stadium off.

ccd494
January 26th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Though I agree, that would be really cool, it also seems weird that there would be this brand-new stadium when the old NFL stadium isn't even paid off yet.

Hopefully the St. Louis MLS team can stave that off. Football + soccer pitches = disaster. The Timbers, for example, want Portland State out of that stadium in the worst way.

OhioHen
January 27th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Hopefully the St. Louis MLS team can stave that off. Football + soccer pitches = disaster. The Timbers, for example, want Portland State out of that stadium in the worst way.

CenturyLink Field in Seattle is an example of both types of football coexisting quite nicely. Neither the Sounders nor the Seahawks have an issue with the pitch/field being shared.

Sandlapper Spike
January 27th, 2016, 07:42 AM

I think SLU is still in the mix for a potential Big East invite, as the 11th team. What has to happen first is the Big East has to figure out the 12th team.

DFW HOYA
January 27th, 2016, 07:43 AM
St. Louis fielded a team as late as 1971- Georgetown took a rare road trip there. The Hoyas have crossed the Mississippi just once since.

I think SLU is still in the mix for a potential Big East invite, as the 11th team. What has to happen first is the Big East has to figure out the 12th team.

The best candidate has a tacit invitation once they settle things...Connecticut.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2016, 09:43 AM

St. Louis fielded a team as late as 1971- Georgetown took a rare road trip there. The Hoyas have crossed the Mississippi just once since.

The best candidate has a tacit invitation once they settle things...Connecticut.

If you are SLU and you have an option to go to the AAC or the Big East, which do you take? If UConn elects to stay in the AAC, it's a no brainer. Even if they go to the ACC (I think it much more likely UConn goes there), the AAC is still a very good deal for SLU, with Temple, access to Florida, Texas, and Louisiana. However, institutionally SLC wants to be alongside G'Town, Villanova and the like.

ccd494
January 27th, 2016, 09:47 AM
What benefit does St. Louis University get from "access to Florida, Texas and Louisiana"?

DFW HOYA
January 27th, 2016, 09:52 AM
However, institutionally SLC wants to be alongside G'Town, Villanova and the like.

That may not be reciprocal. Some at Georgetown do not see schools like DePaul, Creighton, Marquette. etc. as a plus in terms of peer visibility.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2016, 10:00 AM
What benefit does St. Louis University get from "access to Florida, Texas and Louisiana"?

LaMarcus Aldridge
Vince Carter
Clyde Drexler

A small sample of the basketball players that were born in those states. Louisiana isn't the biggest hotbed of talent anymore, but Texas and Florida are quite good.

ccd494
January 27th, 2016, 10:24 AM
LaMarcus Aldridge
Vince Carter
Clyde Drexler

A small sample of the basketball players that were born in those states. Louisiana isn't the biggest hotbed of talent anymore, but Texas and Florida are quite good.

SLU already has players from those states on its roster. And, why, pray tell, would SLU playing one road game a year (at most) at Tulane, or USF, or UCF, or SMU, or Houston, would players all of a sudden start opting to play at SLU instead of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, UTEP, Rice, Southern Methodist, Texas Christian, LSU, Tulane, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Central Florida, or South Florida, let alone any of the other 75 mid-to-high major schools who play 1-3 games a year in those states, on top of the 20-30 low majors actually IN those states?

Are you not allowed to go to AAU tournaments in Texas if you are in a conference that lacks a Texas school? Does the texting on your cell phone get blocked if you don't play a conference game in Florida?

Some of you guys with your dreams of bigger markets for conferences, and "access" to locations are out of your minds. Playing a single game at Central Florida or South Florida every year isn't going to help you get a power forward from Florida go to your school. The academic year runs from late August to May. Spending 28 hours in Tampa to play one game over a 9 month span is a drop in the bucket. Maine plays in a basketball conference with the University of Maryland-Baltimore County. Baltimore! Basketball hotbed, right! What a great market to have "access" to. Nice to be there briefly every year. You know how many high school basketball players in Baltimore give a **** that game is happening? 0.

You know how many high level high school basketball players are going to say to each other "Hey, it's Tuesday. St. Louis is playing at Central Florida out on the outskirts of town! Let's go!" 0. You have practice or a game. Then Duke is on TV. Don't have to get off the couch to watch that.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2016, 10:43 AM
SLU already has players from those states on its roster. And, why, pray tell, would SLU playing one road game a year (at most) at Tulane, or USF, or UCF, or SMU, or Houston, would players all of a sudden start opting to play at SLU instead of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, UTEP, Rice, Southern Methodist, Texas Christian, LSU, Tulane, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Central Florida, or South Florida, let alone any of the other 75 mid-to-high major schools who play 1-3 games a year in those states, on top of the 20-30 low majors actually IN those states?

Are you not allowed to go to AAU tournaments in Texas if you are in a conference that lacks a Texas school? Does the texting on your cell phone get blocked if you don't play a conference game in Florida?

Some of you guys with your dreams of bigger markets for conferences, and "access" to locations are out of your minds. Playing a single game at Central Florida or South Florida every year isn't going to help you get a power forward from Florida go to your school. The academic year runs from late August to May. Spending 28 hours in Tampa to play one game over a 9 month span is a drop in the bucket. Maine plays in a basketball conference with the University of Maryland-Baltimore County. Baltimore! Basketball hotbed, right! What a great market to have "access" to. Nice to be there briefly every year. You know how many high school basketball players in Baltimore give a **** that game is happening? 0.

You know how many high level high school basketball players are going to say to each other "Hey, it's Tuesday. St. Louis is playing at Central Florida out on the outskirts of town! Let's go!" 0. You have practice or a game. Then Duke is on TV. Don't have to get off the couch to watch that.

What if the recruit has lots of family and relatives that are older who would like nothing better than to see their nephew/grandson play and not have to fly several timezones away to watch the game? This is a major consideration for many recruits across all sports. If a FL kid can tell his family they can either see him play 2x a year live within an easy drive vs. stay at home more often to watch him play St. Bonaventure and Dayton, which will it be?

ccd494
January 27th, 2016, 02:02 PM
What if the recruit has lots of family and relatives that are older who would like nothing better than to see their nephew/grandson play and not have to fly several timezones away to watch the game? This is a major consideration for many recruits across all sports. If a FL kid can tell his family they can either see him play 2x a year live within an easy drive vs. stay at home more often to watch him play St. Bonaventure and Dayton, which will it be?

Then he will probably go to Central Florida instead of St. Louis, or instead of Temple, if he wants his family to be at every single game.

Or he says "Coach I want my family to see my play once or twice a year" and the coach says "Great, I'll schedule a game in Florida."

Bisonoline
January 27th, 2016, 05:43 PM

Every school in the US has a scenarios like this. Whats your point.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Every school in the US has a scenarios like this. Whats your point.

The point is, it is more desirable for recruiting to be in a league where you are guaranteed to be playing games close to where they live. It is one thing to say we'll work it out so that you can play one game in the next four years near your hometown (which in fact is something Lehigh has done multiple times in hoops). It's quite another to say that every year you are guaranteed at least two trips back (or near to) home, and potentially more.

Bisonoline
January 27th, 2016, 06:06 PM
The point is, it is more desirable for recruiting to be in a league where you are guaranteed to be playing games close to where they live. It is one thing to say we'll work it out so that you can play one game in the next four years near your hometown (which in fact is something Lehigh has done multiple times in hoops). It's quite another to say that every year you are guaranteed at least two trips back (or near to) home, and potentially more.

Thats crazy. Coaches really schedule game away to where a kid comes from?

IBleedYellow
January 27th, 2016, 06:09 PM

Coach K @ Duke does it....

clenz
January 27th, 2016, 06:10 PM

All of the time.

UNI has played games in Texas so we could grab a PG. he ended up a 4 year starter. Had offers from Marquette, Arizona, and a few B12 schools.

UNI hosted North Carolina this year because SR guard is from Marion, IA (where I live now) which is an hour south of Cedar Falls and was Hs teammates of a SR on UNIs team.

UNI has to make a trip to Chapel Hill the next two years in return but BFD.

UNC has done the same with Evansville in the MVC as well.

Bisonoline
January 27th, 2016, 06:13 PM
All of the time.

UNI has played games in Texas so we could grab a PG. he ended up a 4 year starter. Had offers from Marquette, Arizona, and a few B12 schools.

UNI hosted North Carolina this year because SR guard is from Marion, IA (where I live now) which is an hour south of Cedar Falls and was Hs teammates of a SR on UNIs team.

UNI has to make a trip to Chapel Hill the next two years in return but BFD.

UNC has done the same with Evansville in the MVC as well.

Oh in basketball? I guess you have more leeway in that sport. But still---Ive never heard of that before. wow.

Threw me for a loop being in a FB thread.

nodak651
January 27th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Oh in basketball? I guess you have more leeway in that sport. But still---Ive never heard of that before. wow.

Threw me for a loop being in a FB thread.

Kansas even played at UND in 2001 when we were D2, as Jeff Boschee was from ND. We drew 13,280 to the Ralph.

Article: http://amarillo.com/stories/2001/12/25/spo_jayhawks.shtml#.VqleoYUrK70

Go...gate
January 28th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Coach K @ Duke does it....

Digger Phelps used to do it at Notre Dame and Dean Smith did it at Carolina, too.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 29th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Florida Gators gave UNH a two for one so Matt Bonner (Spurs) could play a game near his hometown of Concord, NH.

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 11:59 AM
Well....there's this

https://twitter.com/President_Bardo/status/694932766874415104

Yup. That's Wichita State's president tweeting out a football helmet.....

- - - Updated - - -

He followed that up with

Meeting with consultants today to talk about athletics. Excited for future possibilities at Wichita State.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 12:01 PM
Well....there's this

- - - Updated - - -

He followed that up with

Meeting with consultants today to talk about athletics. Excited for future possibilities at Wichita State.

Not the MVFC...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
Hello, AAC. For the Shockers, I mean.

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 12:17 PM
Hello, AAC. For the Shockers, I mean.

AAC or MWC

NDSU and SDSU, this would be a fantastic time to call the MVC

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 12:24 PM
AAC or MWC

Nah.....pass. xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

AAC or MWC

Pioneer? How are they going to absorb the schollys for FBS with Title IX? BIG money....

Libertine
February 3rd, 2016, 12:31 PM
Well....there's this

This is the same John Bardo who was chancellor at Western Carolina and he wasn't known for making it rain at the time. I could see Wichita going FCS.

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 12:32 PM
Nah.....pass. xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

Pioneer? How are they going to absorb the schollys for FBS with Title IX? BIG money....

WSU is only doing football if it's on a big stage (re: no smaller than the AAC)

It's a lot of money. WSU has a lot of money. You've heard of the Koch brothers, right? Guess who paid for WSUs basketball arena and coaching salary and everything basketball related. I'd bet the basketball money doesn't get touched. Simply lining up tens of millions more from them and Boeing, who is just down the street from their campus.

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 12:34 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160203/4a5e89452803b8080867fc5a2b4ddf9b.jpg

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 12:37 PM
WSU is only doing football if it's on a big stage (re: no smaller than the AAC)

It's a lot of money. WSU has a lot of money. You've heard of the Koch brothers, right? Guess who paid for WSUs basketball arena and coaching salary and everything basketball related. I'd bet the basketball money doesn't get touched. Simply lining up tens of millions more from them and Boeing, who is just down the street from their campus.

No I get it....but the money has been there before and football wasn't a priority. Why now? Is it THAT BAD in the MVC that the Shockers have to add football to bail on the league?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2016, 12:50 PM
Think any of the speculation about St. Louis starting up football has spurred Wichita State into action? While WSU has shown some mild interest in football, this tweetbomb seems odd.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 12:50 PM
Think any of the speculation about St. Louis starting up football has spurred Wichita State into action? While WSU has shown some mild interest in football, this tweetbomb seems odd.

Nope.

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 12:57 PM
No I get it....but the money has been there before and football wasn't a priority. Why now? Is it THAT BAD in the MVC that the Shockers have to add football to bail on the league?

Well, they aren't leaving without it and they've thought they could

They are the epitome of thinking hey are 100 times bigger and better than they are.

They firmly believe they are B12 material and accept nothing less

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 12:58 PM

Not even remotely close to even being potentially almost possible for being the reason.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 01:10 PM
Nope.

FIFY....its easier. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2016, 01:12 PM
Not even remotely close to even being potentially almost possible for being the reason.

Fair enough. Maybe it was always in the pipeline.

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 01:17 PM
Fair enough. Maybe it was always in the pipeline.

WSU has been hinting at some changes to affiliation and athletic changes for some time

This could also just me a show of posturing to get people worked up and talking about WSU on a day no one cares about them in any way or form

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 01:19 PM
WSU has been hinting at some changes to affiliation and athletic changes for some time

This could also just me a show of posturing to get people worked up and talking about WSU on a day no one cares about them in any way or form

Cats out of the bag now...if they are not adding football or having those above twitter discussions.... xlolx

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 01:22 PM
Cats out of the bag now...if they are not adding football or having those above twitter discussions.... xlolx

It's always been out of the bag for those in the MVC. No one was shocked Creighton left. Everyone knows WSU thinks it would be better than Kansas or Duke every single year if they got to a bigger conference. They are getting more boastful to the outside world with it.

They are not an FCS school, or think they aren't. They will dump so much money into the program to overcompensate for what they are you won't be able to fathom it, should they go that route.

Also, trying to put up with NDSU and WSU fans on the same board would drive every single member to quit

WSU posters have driven off 90% of the people from the MVC forums.

Troy couldn't afford the bandwidth required for those e-peen measuring contests.

EDITED TO FIX PHONE TYPING ISSUES

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 01:31 PM
It's always been out of the bag for those in the MVC. No one was shocks Creighton left. Everyone know WSU thinks it would be bette than Kansas or Duke every single year if they got to a bigger conference. They are getting more boastful to the outside world with it.

They are not an FCS school. They will dump so much money into the program to overcompensate for what they are you won't be able to fathom it, should they go that route.

Also, trying to pu up with NDSU and WSU fans on the same board would drive every single member to quit

WAU posters have driven off 90% of the people from the MVC forums.

Troy couldn't afford the bandwidth required for those e-peen measuring contests.

Well, if the Shockers go FBS, and they need to fill their schedule...NDSU's phone line is open....match what K State paid for their loss, and we will make the trip. xthumbsupx xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
February 3rd, 2016, 04:34 PM

Similar to why SLU won't join the MVC because they think they are bigger and better that is what WSU thinks they are.

RootinFerDukes
February 3rd, 2016, 07:42 PM
So aside from what wsu overvalues themselves as, what are really their chances of getting invited to an fbs conference?
The AAC has shown no history of taking past Fcs teams except Uconn (who was already a BE basketball member). Is Wichita even a noteworthy tv market? That is all the AAC has gone after so why would they suddenly change now for a start-up program?
Unless other conferences suddenly feel compelled to expand for the sake of expanding, I just don't see any openings in fbs.

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 08:08 PM
WSU bring basketball with football. The MWC and AAC would love for a WSU in their league, if they were willing to add football. Wichita adds a west member to the AAC took with the Texas area.

WSU has money. They will spend twice what they need too to start football. They don't do anything small. They want to be the next Louisville, Cinci or Memphis

Laker
February 3rd, 2016, 08:47 PM
WSU bring basketball with football. The MWC and AAC would love for a WSU in their league, if they were willing to add football. Wichita adds a west member to the AAC took with the Texas area.

WSU has money. They will spend twice what they need too to start football. They don't do anything small. They want to be the next Louisville, Cinci or Memphis

Clenz- what is your guess as to this actually happening? 20%? 30%?

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 09:18 PM
Clenz- what is your guess as to this actually happening? 20%? 30%?

If they can work a deal to the AAC or MWC, 100% announced by April. Coaches in place by June. Recruiting starts this fall. First game in 2019. They have a 25k seat stadium already that canbe used until a new one is built or they renovate the existing one to a 45k seat stadium like TCU had until they expanded a few years ago

If they are going to be FCS then about 12% on a good day

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2016, 10:23 PM
Aresco: "The entrance fee for a new AAC member has just been raised to $10 million"

WSU: "Where do I sign"

That's almost certainly what would happen, and why the AAC would have zero objections to WSU

dgtw
February 3rd, 2016, 10:51 PM
So what women's sports do they add? Right now they have eight for women and seven for men. To me, adding football gives them true gender equity since each sex would have eight sports, but that's not how it works in the real world.

Each sex plays basketball, golf, tennis, cross country and indoor/outdoor track as well as baseball and softball teams and a women's volleyball team.

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 10:55 PM
Soccer seems likely, mo matter what. It's cheap and "looks good".

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2016, 12:20 AM
Soccer seems likely, mo matter what. It's cheap and "looks good".

Yes... yes it does.

http://www.pcccourier.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/SoccerWomens_MChan_112113_13901_01.jpg

Yote 53
February 4th, 2016, 04:40 PM
I've never really given much thought to Wichita State. I suppose most other people haven't either. They really think of themselves as that great? They are number 3 in Kansas alone, behind KU and KSU, and the rest of the FBS world doesn't think much of KU at all. If WSU decides to start FBS football I doubt much of the rest of the FBS world even notices, they are that unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

UNIFanSince1983
February 4th, 2016, 04:48 PM
I've never really given much thought to Wichita State. I suppose most other people haven't either. They really think of themselves as that great? They are number 3 in Kansas alone, behind KU and KSU, and the rest of the FBS world doesn't think much of KU at all. If WSU decides to start FBS football I doubt much of the rest of the FBS world even notices, they are that unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

They have a very very well known basketball and baseball program though. You can bet if adding FBS football could get them a conference invite that they thought would improve their basketball program they would do it in a second. Any move for WSU would have nothing to do with their football and completely be a basketball move. The only reason for WSU to add football is to support their basketball program.

Laker
February 4th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Wichita State has been to the Big Dance 12 times, with 6 Sweet 16s, 4 Elite 8s, and 2 Final 4s. I remember the MTXE (Mental Toughness Extra Effort) that they wore on their shorts under Gene Smithson.

In baseball, they are 4th in all time NCAA D1 winning %, with 7 World Series appearances and a national title in 1989.

Model Citizen
February 5th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Anyone want to play four degrees of Bill Parcells? He's a former Shocker. Father played at Georgetown...

Sycamore62
February 5th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Anyone want to play four degrees of Bill Parcells? He's a former Shocker. Father played at Georgetown...

does any connection to WSU count?

Model Citizen
February 5th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Go for it.

Laker
February 5th, 2016, 08:50 AM

I've grown wheat. And I've gotten a shock from an electric fence. Maybe that counts.

Model Citizen
February 5th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I think they got their name when, before the days of full ride scholarships, the football players earned money by shocking (bundling) wheat for farmers. So I'd say it counts.

BisonFan02
February 5th, 2016, 10:25 AM

I took a massive dook on campus once when visiting Wichita for work. Does that count? xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
February 5th, 2016, 10:30 AM
I took a massive dook on campus once when visiting Wichita for work. Does that count? xlolx

And Lehigh beat Dook. Does that count? xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
February 5th, 2016, 04:29 PM

As long as it wasn't in a toilet I will let that one count. If it was in the toilet I am disappointed.

BisonFan02
February 5th, 2016, 06:44 PM
As long as it wasn't in a toilet I will let that one count. If it was in the toilet I am disappointed.

Are you sure? It was entirely uncalled for what I did in there....xlolx