View Full Version : MVFC 2016 Edition

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

IBleedYellow
July 30th, 2016, 02:28 PM
I'm embarrassed. To say the least.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
July 30th, 2016, 02:29 PM
If I read the article(s) correctly, does this mean that Kolpack is out when it comes to Bison athletics with no more Bison Media Pregame and Previews? If so, that will be beyond disastrous for not only Bison fans but fans of the FCS in general. Kolpack and Izzo are the best 1-2 punch in the FCS media.

It works if you think 1660 am on the NDSU radio side and the exclusive NDSU media "machine" execute on the same level to push Bison athletics (with the difference being a largely increased revenue stream). My answer is no and I have little faith that they do so....and coverage suffers...momentum slides....and it will be interesting to watch when the NDSU hype bubble "pops".

IBleedYellow
July 30th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Well. Maybe I'll be a le to get season tickets on a few years.

BisonFan02
July 30th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Well. Maybe I'll be a le to get season tickets on a few years.

I would bet on it. The funny part about that is the very same people that bitched about people like me having season tickets "on the cheap" and kicking/screaming that they can't get in...are the very same people that will be the first to bail. One day I'm a bad person for being able to scalp my tickets at a profit (personally never did)....to a day when you will be eating them or losing money if you can't attend every game. To an extent, its not an "if", its a "when"...probably not TOO far due to the growth of Fargo, but it will wane.

clenz
July 30th, 2016, 03:03 PM
That Mcfeely article though.

Holy ****. That is, by far, the best thing I've ever read.

Wow

There's no way NDSU recovers from this anytime soon.

Bridges aren't just burned, they are ****ing nuked.

There's no going back. They can't give in to public pressure as it sets a horrid precedent and admits ****ing up yet they can't actually be dumb enough to enforce this ****.

Wow.

clenz
July 30th, 2016, 03:12 PM
I think it's Thumper76 that had the best Twitter reaction to that article.

As sarcastic and mean spirited as that article is, NDSU fans get to see/read NDSU as other fan bases have been told to treat NDSU by its fanbase for years. Welcome to being treated like peasants.

The Yo Show
July 30th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I had more faith in NDSU adminstration before this. I had always thought they seemed to show superb judgement, as least to an outsider looking in. But this just ***** all over that facade to me. This action is beyond idiotic.

clenz
July 30th, 2016, 03:21 PM
And the "winners" of the media rights are doubling down on stupid and being pricks towards the fans on Twitter today

Oh man.

BisonTru
July 30th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I want to be more pissed about this. Dom, Jeff, and Mike do a great job with their coverage. But after the Forum photoshopped fans holding up signs they didn't make I'm still in the **** the Forum camp. I'd really like to see all of them swing over to KVLY.

Thumper 76
July 30th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I think it's Thumper76 that had the best Twitter reaction to that article.

As sarcastic and mean spirited as that article is, NDSU fans get to see/read NDSU as other fan bases have been told to treat NDSU by its fanbase for years. Welcome to being treated like peasants.

Pretty close mine was just just this

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160730/6499038ee9cd6439b51e7b4fddebc736.png

Whoever said that is much more eloquent than I am xlolx

Drblankstare
July 30th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I was always under the assumption that the more media coverage, brand exposure the better. I understand that the media rights holders paid you and should get special access, but this is ridiculous.

clenz
July 30th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Pretty close mine was just just this

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160730/6499038ee9cd6439b51e7b4fddebc736.png

Whoever said that is much more eloquent than I am xlolx

That was just me adding to your 140 character limitation.

Didn't know how public you wanted your twitters

Thumper 76
July 30th, 2016, 03:54 PM
That was just me adding to your 140 character limitation.

Didn't know how public you wanted your twitters

Yeah not too worried about it, I'm more protective of FB and such. You added very well I must say

TheKingpin28
July 30th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Correct.

NDSU is making a statement against Forum Communications. The **** part is that Dom and Jeff are caught in the crossfire.

Apparently Forum Inc gave a laughable low bid for NDSU media rights.

This is a sad day for the FCS. NDSU is really sticking it to outside media.

mmiller_34
July 30th, 2016, 04:24 PM
That Mike McFeely article is gold.

POD Knows
July 30th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Correct.

NDSU is making a statement against Forum Communications. The **** part is that Dom and Jeff are caught in the crossfire.

Apparently Forum Inc gave a laughable low bid for NDSU media rights.

Why should Forum Inc or whoever those guys are, get a free ride on this? I like Izzo and Kolpack, but let's face, they work for the competitor that has the current NDSU media rights.

TheKingpin28
July 30th, 2016, 04:32 PM
That Mike McFeely article is gold.

I am really starting to dig McFeely lately. That was a excellent read

POD Knows
July 30th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Has anybody ever watched a actual sporting event that WDAY has broadcasted, they can't even handle the state B in ND. You think KVLY phones it in, watch something WDAY does.

I would agree that this is terrible PR for NDSU but WDAY is not on contract with the college as far as I know but they were piggy backing on the event, with no financial commitment, and banking the $. This doesn't make any sense to me, somebody explain this from a business standpoint and not an emotional one. I haven't read the agreements with NDSU and KVLY and doubt anybody else has either, were there elements in the contract that NDSU agreed to that required some type of exclusivity with respect to local, who knows, I don't.

This pillow fight between WDAY and NDSU/KVLY will not cause me to lose any sleep. If the Forum gets pissy about it and slants or reduces their coverage of NDSU and the athletic programs then the market will determine that was a wise move and the market will determine whether or not this clumsy move by NDSU will have an adverse effect. My guess is that it might because up here, there are personal relationships that clouds peoples business sense.

clenz
July 30th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Please tell me Twitter is wrong on this

Supposedly it's written into the new contract that it has to be "The North Dakota State University" in the same fashion that Ohio State assholes demand THE in front of it

POD Knows
July 30th, 2016, 04:48 PM
I am really starting to dig McFeely lately. That was a excellent read

Read his political stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Supposedly it's written into the new contract that it has to be "The North Dakota State University" in the same fashion that Ohio State assholes demand THE in front of it

That would be hubris to the power of a million

Drblankstare
July 30th, 2016, 04:56 PM

That would be the height of douchebaggery.

BisonFan02
July 30th, 2016, 04:57 PM
From SamsRams on Bisonville (also bisonation.info for you recruiting junkies)

First off you are trusting deadspin? That whole article was false. There is no media outlet being banned as they state.

Can you provide me with examples of other schools that allow the type access The Forum feels they deserved? Is there a media outlet in Austin that does a pregame show on Texas campus or a highlight show that has no restrictions on how many highlights they can show? How about in Eugene? How about Minneapolis? I'm not versed in FBS programs so maybe someone can give me examples of other schools that allow what The Forum wants. And if you do, I will bet good money that policy will change in then next few years to mirror what NDSU and other schools are doing.

I worked for the ABC station in Vegas and since we were not the UNLV station we had restrictions. We didnt get one on ones with the head coach for basketball. But we had plenty of chances to speak with him after practice and at press conferences. It would have been absurd if we would have requested to do a pre game show from the parking lot or have a nightly 30 minute show with as many highlights to show as our hearts desired. We couldnt take press conferences live without permission from the SID.

Mountain meet molehill....The PR and emotions are the problem. That being said...with the new "negative" media PR, 1660am and the holder of NDSU's media rights better up their game...or 1660am/Bison Media need to court/hire Izzo and Kolpack.

BisonFan02
July 30th, 2016, 05:00 PM

Twitter is wrong on it...its someone sarcastically telling McFeely that NDSU is "big timing" it like THE Ohio State University. Time to settle down. xlolx

TheKingpin28
July 30th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Read his political stuff

- - - Updated - - -

That would be hubris to the power of a million

I do not dare touch that. It was more in reference to his athletic blogs

Hammersmith
July 30th, 2016, 06:24 PM
I like most of McFeely's stuff, but he loses perspective when it's something close to him; especially if it's in regards to a friend. And Jeff Kolpack's got a very thin skin. So NDSU just started enforcing their policy, Jeff got upset, vented to Mike, Mike got upset and wrote a column. I think it's going to be one of those things that felt good Saturday afternoon, but you cringe at Monday morning after a bit of perspective.

What's changed between last week and next week? Well, the WDAY-AM pregame show won't be able to be broadcast from the tailgating lot. Oh, teh horror. They'll have to go across the street to Labby's, BWW or the Fargo Air Museum. The Bison Media Blog won't be able to do a play by play. So what? it's not like a blog is the best medium for that anyway. Use livestats for the play by play and use the blog for general comments. WDAY-AM and WDAY-TV won't be able to live stream the weekly press conferences. Again, so what? Jeff, Dom and Eric will still be there asking questions and getting answers. How many fans actually watch the press conferences anyway? And why does it matter if they stream it from GoBison or KVLY instead of WDAY-TV?

But Jeff is losing his access to the coaches, you say. Is he? I read that NDSU is enforcing the contract to protect its media partners. That's KVLY and Midco for TV and Bison 1660 for radio. I don't see a print partner in that list. And Jeff doesn't work for a radio or TV company, does he? Dom isn't going to be able to interview coaches on non-game days, but how much did he do that anyway? Jeff won't be able interview coaches on the air as easily as he used to, but I bet he'll still get access for his print articles.

Honestly, I think Jeff is just feeling a little overwhelmed right now with all the change and he's letting it get to him. I'm sure he wanted ForumComm to win the bid for the media rights, but his bosses tried to low ball. He hasn't been getting the support he deserves from his bosses in a long time and it's got to be wearing on him. Then Jeff goes and finishes his book on Bison football and sends it off to be published. Considering he's following in his father's footsteps, and his dad passed awhile ago, that had to bring emotions to the surface. And now he faces the coming season without his friend and colleague, Scott Miller, the NDSU radio announcer who passed away this off season. Well, put together, I'm sure it has Jeff a little more emotional than usual.

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 30th, 2016, 08:09 PM
That Mcfeely article though.

Holy ****. That is, by far, the best thing I've ever read.

Wow

There's no way NDSU recovers from this anytime soon.

Bridges aren't just burned, they are ****ing nuked.

There's no going back. They can't give in to public pressure as it sets a horrid precedent and admits ****ing up yet they can't actually be dumb enough to enforce this ****.

Wow.

Nothing McFooly writes is good. He is unreadable.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 30th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Those 3 (McFeely, Dom and Jeff) will be fine. Hurt feelings right now.

1660 better hit it out of the park with their Bison coverage. KVLY needs to step it up big time also.

BisonFan02
July 30th, 2016, 09:23 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cope_taUAAAmPaD.jpg:large

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 30th, 2016, 09:23 PM
I like most of McFeely's stuff, but he loses perspective when it's something close to him; especially if it's in regards to a friend. And Jeff Kolpack's got a very thin skin. So NDSU just started enforcing their policy, Jeff got upset, vented to Mike, Mike got upset and wrote a column. I think it's going to be one of those things that felt good Saturday afternoon, but you cringe at Monday morning after a bit of perspective.

What's changed between last week and next week? Well, the WDAY-AM pregame show won't be able to be broadcast from the tailgating lot. Oh, teh horror. They'll have to go across the street to Labby's, BWW or the Fargo Air Museum. The Bison Media Blog won't be able to do a play by play. So what? it's not like a blog is the best medium for that anyway. Use livestats for the play by play and use the blog for general comments. WDAY-AM and WDAY-TV won't be able to live stream the weekly press conferences. Again, so what? Jeff, Dom and Eric will still be there asking questions and getting answers. How many fans actually watch the press conferences anyway? And why does it matter if they stream it from GoBison or KVLY instead of WDAY-TV?

But Jeff is losing his access to the coaches, you say. Is he? I read that NDSU is enforcing the contract to protect its media partners. That's KVLY and Midco for TV and Bison 1660 for radio. I don't see a print partner in that list. And Jeff doesn't work for a radio or TV company, does he? Dom isn't going to be able to interview coaches on non-game days, but how much did he do that anyway? Jeff won't be able interview coaches on the air as easily as he used to, but I bet he'll still get access for his print articles.

Honestly, I think Jeff is just feeling a little overwhelmed right now with all the change and he's letting it get to him. I'm sure he wanted ForumComm to win the bid for the media rights, but his bosses tried to low ball. He hasn't been getting the support he deserves from his bosses in a long time and it's got to be wearing on him. Then Jeff goes and finishes his book on Bison football and sends it off to be published. Considering he's following in his father's footsteps, and his dad passed awhile ago, that had to bring emotions to the surface. And now he faces the coming season without his friend and colleague, Scott Miller, the NDSU radio announcer who passed away this off season. Well, put together, I'm sure it has Jeff a little more emotional than usual.

This is how the bidding went....http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/Valley-News-Live-scored-most-points-to-win-Bison-football-TV-contract-374676231.html

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 30th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Maybe some of the whiny fans will want to sell their season tickets. I'll buy some if they do.

POD Knows
July 30th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Maybe some of the whiny fans will want to sell their season tickets. I'll buy some if they do.

Yep, let them go, if these ticket holders are going to get this bent out of shape and bail on the program because "the lowest bidder" in the media contract bid doesn't get to piggy back NDSU sports for free, then screw them.

The more that comes out on this, the more sane this decision by NDSU sounds. WDAY was the lowest bidder because they are the ****tiest local network and it isn't even close.

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 30th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Yep, let them go, if these ticket holders are going to get this bent out of shape and bail on the program because "the lowest bidder" in the media contract bid doesn't get to piggy back NDSU sports for free, then screw them.

The more that comes out on this, the more sane this decision by NDSU sounds. WDAY was the lowest bidder because they are the ****tiest local network and it isn't even close.

THIS^xnodxxthumbsupx

underdawg
July 30th, 2016, 10:01 PM
This pretty much nails my thoughts. I understand the thought process for 8-3, and I don't think it's all that far fetched. I certainly think it's quite optimistic, but I'd call it attainable.

For each MVFC team I've spent a few hours going over total stats, game stats, and even series within games to see how/where the stats came from. I'll admit I haven't watched a ton of film, other than watching replays on ESPN3 last season. I have a life and spent too much time on this the way it is according to my wife. Nothing I type is gospel. Nothing I type is absolute truth. I encourage people to drive these discussions based on my thoughts. It's part of why I do it. It's why I "took issue" when you accused me of "taking issue". That isn't the case at all.

I'll be honest, SIU and USD fans will despise me in a few weeks when they come out. When my final standings come out, Redbird fans likely will hate where I have them slotted.

It's funny, the way the rotation sets up with who misses who I think is going to cause there to be real separation between the top half and bottom half.

Don't worry about SIU fans despising you because of an article--we all ready do--just kidding Clenz--can't wait to line it up with the 2016 National Champions Panthers in the Dome. Just hope we survive without major injuries

underdawg
July 30th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Massey computer pre-season

www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605

Bisonator
July 30th, 2016, 11:18 PM

After my initial reaction to this I'd have to agree. NDSU is simply enforcing the policy that the right holders bid on, probably should have been done before the last contracts expired. Won't have much effect on anything except the live play by play blogging. Jeff and Dom can still do everything else just not on campus. They are making more of it then they need to, actually Dom has handled it fairly well.

Bottom line is NDSU'S media rights just went up. The next contract bidding should reflect this change.

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 30th, 2016, 11:18 PM
I'm sure McFooly is the reason this news is on Deadspin. McFooly makes the Forum unreadable.

Yote 53
July 30th, 2016, 11:27 PM
I just kind of skimmed through whatever that little media pissing match is, but, my view is NDSU has screwed up by not getting on Midco Sports. The other three Dakota schools have had far reaching regional coverage, great game coverage, and some pretty good in-house shows and analysis.

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 30th, 2016, 11:31 PM
I just kind of skimmed through whatever that little media pissing match is, but, my view is NDSU has screwed up by not getting on Midco Sports. The other three Dakota schools have had far reaching regional coverage, great game coverage, and some pretty good in-house shows and analysis.

Midco isn't available over much of North Dakota. Midco makes no sense. North Dakota NBC is better for the state. And 400,000 a year is good for NDSU.

Hammersmith
July 30th, 2016, 11:31 PM

Non-FB is on Midco starting this year. But Midco just doesn't have enough saturation in ND yet for FB. They were going to have to pair with the PBS affiliates to get statewide coverage.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2016, 12:11 AM
If Midco wants NDSU football they will need to build the infrastructure. And bring more than $500,000 a year to boot.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 31st, 2016, 07:48 AM
Massey computer pre-season

www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605 (http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605)

Pretty impressive......4 of the first 5 teams are Valley teams!

huskie
July 31st, 2016, 08:43 AM
Predictions for upcoming season:
1. NDSU
2.SDSU
3.Youngstown
4. UNI
5 WIU
6. Illinois State
7. Indiana State
8. South Dakota
9. Souther Illinois
10. Missouri State

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2016, 09:08 AM
Pretty impressive......4 of the first 5 teams are Valley teams!

And I believe every team except MSU in the top 25.

clenz
July 31st, 2016, 09:40 AM
Predictions for upcoming season:
1. NDSU
2.SDSU
3.Youngstown
4. UNI
5 WIU
6. Illinois State
7. Indiana State
8. South Dakota
9. Souther Illinois
10. Missouri State

Pretty bold predicting YSU at 3 and UNI at 4 when YSU is a borderline preseason top 25 team that won't be on most ballots and UNI is a consensus top 3 to 5 team that returns, essentially, 100 % of its offense and a stellar front 7 on defense.

Interested to hear your logic on that. Not that it can't, won't happen, it's just not something I see happening from where I stand.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2016, 12:07 PM
Pretty bold predicting YSU at 3 and UNI at 4 when YSU is a borderline preseason top 25 team that won't be on most ballots and UNI is a consensus top 3 to 5 team that returns, essentially, 100 % of its offense and a stellar front 7 on defense.

Interested to hear your logic on that. Not that it can't, won't happen, it's just not something I see happening from where I stand.

Such a homer. :p

Pretty sure i have uni at 3.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2016, 12:08 PM
In the top 25

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 31st, 2016, 12:17 PM
My top 10 in the preseason AGS poll:

1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. Richmond
4. SHSU
5. Jacksonville State
6. Charleston Southern
7. SDSU
8. Chattanooga
9. W & M
10. Ill State

SUPharmacist
July 31st, 2016, 12:53 PM
I'm sure McFooly is the reason this news is on Deadspin. McFooly makes the Forum unreadable.

Had not seen this story until today, but holy cow is that letter from Mcfeely ridiculous. If he wants to explain the problem with these new policies as a professional great, but if he is just going to act like a child I am glad any coverage he does is limited. As for Kolpack and Izzo, it is sad that their coverage may change but is this not how media rights work. This story from deadspin acting like they cannot write another word about NDSU is silly.

Drblankstare
July 31st, 2016, 01:07 PM
Had not seen this story until today, but holy cow is that letter from Mcfeely ridiculous. If he wants to explain the problem with these new policies as a professional great, but if he is just going to act like a child I am glad any coverage he does is limited. As for Kolpack and Izzo, it is sad that their coverage may change but is this not how media rights work. This story from deadspin acting like they cannot write another word about NDSU is silly.

The story is way over the top, but there is no denying that this has become a cluster**** for NDSU. After all this silly **** stared going down, they put a letter out explaining in more detail the new media policies and how it would effect non rights holders. This should have been the 1st thing they released not the 2nd thing.

Back to football. I'll give my top 5 for the Valley

1 NDSU
2 UNI
3 SDSU
4 YSU
5 ILL ST

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 31st, 2016, 02:09 PM

So are USD or SDSU on statewide tv in South Dakota? How much are USD and SDSU getting paid for football coverage?

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 31st, 2016, 03:23 PM
I lost all respect for Kolpack after this tweet. How childish.

Jeff Kolpack ‏@FGOSPORTSWRITER (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER) Jul 30 (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/759384962382442496)Rapid City, SD (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A4dcfc855e2614f09)
How sad if "the new guy" is behind this. Sir, you are not Scottie Miller and golden tones would be appalled at this policy.

4 retweets30 likes

Retweet

More

Twentysix
July 31st, 2016, 03:25 PM

Jeff Kolpack ‏@FGOSPORTSWRITER (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER) Jul 30 (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/759384962382442496)Rapid City, SD (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A4dcfc855e2614f09)
How sad if "the new guy" is behind this. Sir, you are not Scottie Miller and golden tones would be appalled at this policy.

4 retweets30 likes

Retweet

More

Wow. Just wow.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 31st, 2016, 06:43 PM

4 retweets30 likes

Retweet

More

Yikes, grow up Kolpack....:(

clenz
July 31st, 2016, 06:56 PM
Is he wrong about Scott Miller though?

I've thought about asking if he would have approved, as I'm curious.

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 31st, 2016, 08:50 PM
1660Bison radio preseason MVFC picks. http://www.bison1660.com/single-post/2016/07/29/Our-Preseason-Picks-for-the-MVFC
Jeremy's Picks:
1. NDSU
2. Northern Iowa
3. Illinois State
4. Youngstown State
5. South Dakota State
6. South Dakota
7. Southern Illinois
8. Western Illinois
9. Indiana State
10. Missouri State

Jeff's Picks:
1. NDSU
2. Northern Iowa
3. Youngstown State
4. Illinois State
5. South Dakota State
6. South Dakota
7. Southern Illinois
8. Western Illinois
9. Indiana State
10. Missouri State

No_Skill
July 31st, 2016, 09:28 PM

Privately, maybe. He was consummate pro and I don't think he would have made much of this publicly.

Bisonator
July 31st, 2016, 09:32 PM

Doesn't matter. It was a low blow at the new guy who probably had little to nothing to do with it. This should have been the policy from the beginning. Otherwise why even have media contracts. This policy really only eliminates the live play by play blogging by the BMB. It has little effect on anything else. Forum Communications is pissed because they low balled their bid thinking they'd have the same content either way.

BisonTru
July 31st, 2016, 10:31 PM
Doesn't matter. It was a low blow at the new guy who probably had little to nothing to do with it. This should have been the policy from the beginning. Otherwise why even have media contracts. This policy really only eliminates the live play by play blogging by the BMB. It has little effect on anything else. Forum Communications is pissed because they low balled their bid thinking they'd have the same content either way.

The Forum photoshopped fans holding up "Bring on Bama" signs, and put it on the front page of the newspaper. Then they stood by it, and never removed it from the online article. Jeff and Mike should have walked out then.

Does anybody read the live play by play blog? You can watch every game in ND even with just rabbit ears on your TV. You can steam it anywhere in the world with ESPN3. You can listen via radio statewide, and stream that online worldwide as well. I just can't imagine that people prefer to read the game, but I guess somebody must.

Also, their pregame show, which they do a great job, could be done from anywhere. A lot of local bars would probably pay them to air it from their location.

SUPharmacist
July 31st, 2016, 10:35 PM
The story is way over the top, but there is no denying that this has become a cluster**** for NDSU. After all this silly **** stared going down, they put a letter out explaining in more detail the new media policies and how it would effect non rights holders. This should have been the 1st thing they released not the 2nd thing.

Back to football. I'll give my top 5 for the Valley

1 NDSU
2 UNI
3 SDSU
4 YSU
5 ILL ST

Definitely could have been handled better. Unfortunately, NDSU looks bad in this because of the way they rolled it out, and how the press is acting like they were acting too bigtime for everyone else (it got discussed on Minneapolis sports radio, apparently not much worthwhile to discuss in MN sports). Hopefully it will all play out ok in the long run.

What say you non-NDSU peeps? Is NDSU being foolish, or doing the right thing in a dumb way to ensure future contract bids help expand the program?

Also, when am I going to get a Casey's near where I live?

clenz
July 31st, 2016, 11:10 PM
I'll put my full thoughts in tomorrow.

I'll say, now, I'll be interested to see how NDSU handles me live tweeting every play of the CSU game...had no intention to do it before, but now I'm curious

BisonTru
July 31st, 2016, 11:18 PM

I'll say, now, I'll be interested to see how NDSU handles me live tweeting every play of the CSU game...had no intention to do it before, but now I'm curious

You should live tweet every play of every game for the season. :)

grizband
July 31st, 2016, 11:41 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to clenz again.

Thumper 76
August 1st, 2016, 12:17 AM

And I had no intention of following it on Twitter until now. It absolutely seems that the Forum is at war with NDSU now, which can't help in any way.

BisonTru
August 1st, 2016, 07:45 AM
And I had no intention of following it on Twitter until now. It absolutely seems that the Forum is at war with NDSU now, which can't help in any way.

The Forum makes the Onion look reputable.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 07:50 AM
You should live tweet every play of every game for the season. :)
That's taking my experiment too far.......simply because of what time NDSU kicks and getting to watch every second of every game live is going to be impossible for me.

If I was single/didn't have kids you bet your ass I would, just to see.

What's NDSU going to do about it? Drive to my house and take my phone and computer away? Call my ISP and tell them "He's talking about our brand!". Tell my cell phone provider on me?

Their new rules are very similar to the MLB blackout rules, which are the worst in the world. Living in Iowa we are blacked out of 34% of every single MLB game (a sports writer that lives in Iowa I follow tracked it). Iowa is blacked out of the Twins, Brewers, Cubs, Whitesox, Cardinals and Royals. The thought behind the blackout is "Now you just need to watch the local guys with the contract". Sure, makes sense. Tell me how I'm supposed to do that when I live where the local guys aren't a real thing.

Anyway....

From a business side of it, I mostly understand the thought process of what they are trying to do. However, the way it rolled out, their complete media silence, the way those on the "winning side" reacted to the rest of the world, and everything else was complete crap. Was McFeely over the top? Yes. Did it perfectly describe the arrogance the new policy has with it, especially how it was rolled out? Absolutely.

The phrase "protect the brand" should never....ever...be uttered...by anyone....especially an FCS school describing who can cover their team. That's especially true when used in a way to create a complete barrier around the program to keep the guys who have been the most integral at building that brand away from it.

I'd be curious to see who else actually has this policy, or at least seemingly as strict about it as NDSU, especially outside of the P5. I keep hearing things like "almost everyone does this", yet outside of the major programs I can't really find examples.

To use UNI as an example - UNI has a third party (a local CF production company) that produces a weekly show called Panther Sports Talk. That show is broadcast on Cedar Fall's local cable utility home channel, it's broadcast on a Fox station and an ABC affiliate. That show has coaches on, trainers, athletes, etc... The website is being rebuilt but here's the YouTube of it https://www.youtube.com/user/PantherSportsTalk. Here's a link to an article from this past spring on the company, Around The Corner Productions talking about being around for a decade - http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/business/my-biz-cedar-falls-production-company-celebrating-10-years-in-business-20160428

UNI gets highlights on KWWL, KCRG, KFXA, KGAN, KCCI, KDSM, and WHO for sure in the state of Iowa. I don't know about parts I don't have access too.
UNI gets people from The Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courrier, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, The Des Moines Register, The Hawk Eye, The Cedar Rapids News and stuff from other smaller papers
UNI realizes that building "a brand" means getting as much news to as many people as possible.

Maybe NDSU has reached everyone they want too, and have decided now is the time to completely shut everything else out other than "state sponsored news", so to speak.

I don't think any of the "rules" are out of line, to be honest. However, the way they rolled this out was horrid. They decided to enact the rules without having the rules finalized and having a release ready. That's what created all of this. When reached for comment on it the comments were "interviews from non-rights holders will be denied" and "we must protect our brand" while not having anything else ready to go. They brought this entirely on themselves from a PR standpoint. The decades that guys like Kolpack or Izzo have spent building that brand for NDSU have taken a major hit. The "brand" has taken a major hit to non-NDSU fans....and even within the family.

What does limiting what Izzo and Kolpack do accomplish? It comes off as "the insiders" are scared that they can't compete. They know their product isn't the same quality. They know the "brand" is because of guys like that. What is the best thing to do when state run media falls behind the competition? Put an end to the competition. What's going to be "fun" to watch is the two of them hooking into a business right across the street from the stadium and they set up a massive "tailgate" experience around that. Drawing people away from the stadium tailgate.

From a selfish perspective, I now have zero reach to reach out to NDSU to get a quick interview for The Wedge with anyone which is a damn shame. NDSU had always been one of the best programs to work with. We've had NDSU coaches on many times. Hell, we had Bohl on just days before the title game. I believe we'd also had Jorgenson on. I don't feel like wasting my time trying to get something knowing that, to use Jorgenson's words, "would be denied"

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 08:08 AM
Woo! Just got two sideline tickets to NDSU vs CSU!

Last year I only went to the championship so I'm pretty excited!

All of the tickets were gone as of 8:04 am (Including standing room only).

$112 for two facevalue tickets. Does NDSU have the most expensive tickets in the FCS?

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 1st, 2016, 08:08 AM
These are some really good comments from BV...

"If Jeff and Dom can't figure out how to have their pregame show from either 1) BWW 2) Air Museum 3) Whatever hotel is adjacent 4) Labby's or hell 5) The Taco Bell parking lot on gameday, then NDSU actually enforcing its contract rules is the least of their problems. It sucks, but this is major college athletics, it's a business.

Maybe this move makes NDSU look arrogant, but that's how the Forum is trying to manipulate this situation. I think we are (and have been for a long time) a LONG ways from having the Forum "on our side"."

"Cmon dude it's not about greed. It's about raising money to increase the athletic budget so we can remain competitive. If we want to hold on to the Gene Taylor's, Craig Bohls, and Saul Phillips of the world we need to pay them more. We lose coaches way too often and if we want to stay competitive, we need to pay them like the MVCs of the world or smaller FBS schools. Where does that money come from?

News flash. The dome is sold out so we can't sell more tickets to raise money. So what's the options? Raise ticket prices.

That brings us to the easy way to raise money. Media.

People want us to win but they also want us to run our business like a small time D2 program. Doesn't work that way.

This new deal with Bison 1660 gives us 30% of gross ads. If we sell a million per year in radio we make an extra 300k. 2 million we make an extra 600k per year. Doubt we do that much but that's pretty impactful revenue for a smaller school. Heck we only get like 400k for the TV deal. Contrast that to the Big 10 who make more just on their Big Ten Network deal than our entire athletic budget. And consider this. Bison 1660 isn't even our Flagship station. That's 107.9 The Fox.

And considering we will need to increase our budget by 10 million if we want to take the next step... Would hardly call this greed"

"Press conferences are a different animal compared to a live event. The Broncos have a similar coverage deal that NDSU is trying to enforce:http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...-partners.html (http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/broadcast-partners.html)

What NDSU is doing is far from uncommon, especially if it is a sports brand that has demand. NDSU football probably has a lot more demand than us (USA Wrestling) and we have similar rights restrictions. In fact, we currently have a RFP out for our webcast rights, which is being fought over mainly by Flowrestling and TrackWrestling (which recently was bought by SportsEngine and that itself was bought by NBC Sports).

If you knew exactly how much the Athletic Department has to raise by itself each year just to maintain a $20-22 million budget, you'd realize how smart it is for them to go down this road. They're getting ready to be well-prepared for the quickly evolving world of Division I football and want to be ready for the next step up to make sure they are in the second tier when the P5 and G5 split finally settles. When that happens, they're going to have to have a budget that is in the $30-40 million range.

I'm not going to claim I know everything within the Athletic Department, but I do have conversations with people that are connected, and based on those conversations, the NDSU Athletic Department is far from resting on its laurels with their recent success. They're a lot more forward thinking than many here give them credit for. A lot more forward thinking than the G5 conferences. For example, I was recently at the Sports Corp Football luncheon in Colorado Springs. At our table, were a few delegates from the Mountain West, and they did not want address the issue of how they are getting screwed opportunity and money-wise when I tried pressing them multiple times about how the P5 schools have created a monopoly within the College Football Playoff system. All I got from them was, "We'll let the players settle it on Saturdays because we have beaten those schools before." They were either naive or plain out stubborn of the reality they are in."

"Press conferences are a different animal compared to a live event. The Broncos have a similar coverage deal that NDSU is trying to enforce:http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...-partners.html (http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/broadcast-partners.html)

What NDSU is doing is far from uncommon, especially if it is a sports brand that has demand. NDSU football probably has a lot more demand than us (USA Wrestling) and we have similar rights restrictions. In fact, we currently have a RFP out for our webcast rights, which is being fought over mainly by Flowrestling and TrackWrestling (which recently was bought by SportsEngine and that itself was bought by NBC Sports).

If you knew exactly how much the Athletic Department has to raise by itself each year just to maintain a $20-22 million budget, you'd realize how smart it is for them to go down this road. They're getting ready to be well-prepared for the quickly evolving world of Division I football and want to be ready for the next step up to make sure they are in the second tier when the P5 and G5 split finally settles. When that happens, they're going to have to have a budget that is in the $30-40 million range.

I'm not going to claim I know everything within the Athletic Department, but I do have conversations with people that are connected, and based on those conversations, the NDSU Athletic Department is far from resting on its laurels with their recent success. They're a lot more forward thinking than many here give them credit for. A lot more forward thinking than the G5 conferences. For example, I was recently at the Sports Corp Football luncheon in Colorado Springs. At our table, were a few delegates from the Mountain West, and they did not want address the issue of how they are getting screwed opportunity and money-wise when I tried pressing them multiple times about how the P5 schools have created a monopoly within the College Football Playoff system. All I got from them was, "We'll let the players settle it on Saturdays because we have beaten those schools before." They were either naive or plain out stubborn of the reality they are in."

"No one has mentioned or hardly mentioned but when you have a contract, exclusive rights, consideration of half million in fargo market can only mean on thing. LAWYERS. and with lawyers their are lawsuits if contracts are not enforced. NDSU had no option to do what they did."

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 1st, 2016, 08:10 AM
Several NDSU grads are saying the policy NDSU is now using is being used by many FBS schools. UNLV is one of them.

AmsterBison
August 1st, 2016, 11:12 AM
I have to see the full policy, but so far:

1. KFGO and WDAY can't do their multi-hour pregame broadcasts from the tailgate lots. They should be able to find a nearby location. That's not a big deal and should work pretty well. That said, I'll miss having Dom and Jeff out there. KFGO folks? Not so much. KFGO offered a whopping $30k for radio rights for something that gave them a ton of programming every week. Plus, their GM is a douchebag of the lowest order.
2. Limits on live blogging during the game... this affects Jeff and Dom (the WDAY guys). They can't do play by play. Hopefully they find a happy medium.
3. Media have to ask 24 hours in advance to get interviews. Media demands for interviews were probably getting to be a little much, but if, as some are claiming, WDAY won't be allowed to interview the head coaches, then that is BS.

They're talking about it right now on Bison1660.com.

BTW, clenz is in the clear. He can live tweet all he wants but the enforcement side of the policy is that clenz would probably be denied press credentials.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 1st, 2016, 11:27 AM
I have to see the full policy, but so far:

1. KFGO and WDAY can't do their multi-hour pregame broadcasts from the tailgate lots. They should be able to find a nearby location. That's not a big deal and should work pretty well. That said, I'll miss having Dom and Jeff out there. KFGO folks? Not so much. KFGO offered a whopping $30k for radio rights for something that gave them a ton of programming every week. Plus, their GM is a douchebag of the lowest order.
2. Limits on live blogging during the game... this affects Jeff and Dom (the WDAY guys). They can't do play by play. Hopefully they find a happy medium.
3. Media have to ask 24 hours in advance to get interviews. Media demands for interviews were probably getting to be a little much, but if, as some are claiming, WDAY won't be allowed to interview the head coaches, then that is BS.

They're talking about it right now on Bison1660.com.

Radio 1660 Bison just said anybody can do news broadcasts and blog on gameday, just not in the dome. They just said you can blog from the tailgate area. The only thing really changing is the live gameday blog which is a ncaa rule for playoffs. NDSU is going to use the ncaa rule all season. You can tweet and blog, but no live stats, ncaa rule.

BisonTru
August 1st, 2016, 11:37 AM
Radio 1660 Bison just said anybody can do news broadcasts and blog on gameday, just not in the dome. They just said you can blog from the tailgate area. The only thing really changing is the live gameday blog which is a ncaa rule for playoffs. NDSU is going to use the ncaa rule all season. You can tweet and blog, but no live stats, ncaa rule.

Boom. We have a loop hole. Clenz can live tweet every NDSU play this season. He just can't do it from the Fargodome. I'm sure he got on and picked up all sorts of single game tickets this morning. Demand can't be that high. Now, he'll have to stay at home to tweet the game. And guess what, I'll gladly buy any and all tickets he purchased this morning for whatever he paid. Actually I told him a couple days ago $65, and I'll gladly pay that now. :D

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 11:44 AM
This seems more and more reasonable all the time.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 11:45 AM
How are they going to stop me from tweeting from my seat?

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 11:46 AM
Also, see how hard it is to put information out up front, NDSU?

You could have avoided a Katrina sized **** storm of bad PR if you didn't "Media is banned and interviews will be denied" mic drop and go radio silent with "no comments" when asked for clarification for a couple days.

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 11:50 AM

You could have avoided a Katrina sized **** storm of bad PR if you didn't "Media is banned and interviews will be denied" mic drop and go radio silent with "no comments" when asked for clarification for a couple days.

It was all a ploy to get everyone riled up and thinking about NDSU right before tickets dropped. Otherwise, how would they guarantee that they would sell everything out in 30 seconds?

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 11:51 AM
It was all a ploy to get everyone riled up and thinking about NDSU right before tickets dropped. Otherwise, how would they guarantee that they would sell everything out in 30 seconds?
Shouldn't need it when you have people donating a billion dollars a year to get one season ticket

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 1st, 2016, 11:53 AM
This seems more and more reasonable all the time.

And more and more like the Forum Comm and McFooly put out a lot of miss information.

AmsterBison
August 1st, 2016, 12:41 PM

Pretty sure that they can't effectively do that. Of course, that's not what they were aiming to do. This is aimed at media organizations. If somebody does live play by play via tweets or something, they could have their press credentials revoked.

No_Skill
August 1st, 2016, 12:46 PM

They won't, because they don't care about you. What they do care about is local competition for the contract holder.

If the wedge gets to the point where they steal significant numbers of ears and eyes, then they might care.

POD Knows
August 1st, 2016, 12:49 PM

It wouldn't have mattered if NDSU had came out ahead of this with an explanation, nobody gives a **** about facts. Nobody thinks with their heads anymore, it is all emotional BS. There still would have been the same second guessing and criticism. Hell, maybe this process was premeditated to troll for idiots in the media class and then nuke them with logic and facts. I am kidding, they are not that smart.

Bison56
August 1st, 2016, 01:11 PM
And more and more like the Forum Comm and McFooly put out a lot of miss information.

I don't believe you, McFooly is a stand up reliable media source, who never lets his emotions get into the way of reporting.xdrunkyx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 1st, 2016, 03:55 PM
Bad news for the other Valley teams, along with the rest of the FCS, the Bison are a really young team this year again. There are only 11 seniors on the team. Big junior class with 24 and a ton of sophomores at 28 I think....a lot of them will play.

Reload!!!

underdawg
August 1st, 2016, 04:36 PM
Bad news for the other Valley teams, along with the rest of the FCS, the Bison are a really young team this year again. There are only 11 seniors on the team. Big junior class with 24 and a ton of sophomores at 28 I think....a lot of them will play.

Reload!!!

We're all duly scared

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 1st, 2016, 04:56 PM
We're all duly scared

Should be.

Hopefully SIU has a good year.

POD Knows
August 1st, 2016, 05:05 PM
Should be.

Hopefully SIU has a good year.

I hope SIU loses every game.

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 05:26 PM

Tell us what you really think.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 1st, 2016, 05:46 PM

I see SIU in bottom 1/2 of the Valley.

Their new coach is a former QB. He really needs to improve that defense.

Growing pains in 16 for SIU

Professor Chaos
August 1st, 2016, 07:01 PM
These are some really good comments from BV...

"If Jeff and Dom can't figure out how to have their pregame show from either 1) BWW 2) Air Museum 3) Whatever hotel is adjacent 4) Labby's or hell 5) The Taco Bell parking lot on gameday, then NDSU actually enforcing its contract rules is the least of their problems. It sucks, but this is major college athletics, it's a business.

Maybe this move makes NDSU look arrogant, but that's how the Forum is trying to manipulate this situation. I think we are (and have been for a long time) a LONG ways from having the Forum "on our side"."

"Cmon dude it's not about greed. It's about raising money to increase the athletic budget so we can remain competitive. If we want to hold on to the Gene Taylor's, Craig Bohls, and Saul Phillips of the world we need to pay them more. We lose coaches way too often and if we want to stay competitive, we need to pay them like the MVCs of the world or smaller FBS schools. Where does that money come from?

News flash. The dome is sold out so we can't sell more tickets to raise money. So what's the options? Raise ticket prices.

That brings us to the easy way to raise money. Media.

People want us to win but they also want us to run our business like a small time D2 program. Doesn't work that way.

This new deal with Bison 1660 gives us 30% of gross ads. If we sell a million per year in radio we make an extra 300k. 2 million we make an extra 600k per year. Doubt we do that much but that's pretty impactful revenue for a smaller school. Heck we only get like 400k for the TV deal. Contrast that to the Big 10 who make more just on their Big Ten Network deal than our entire athletic budget. And consider this. Bison 1660 isn't even our Flagship station. That's 107.9 The Fox.

And considering we will need to increase our budget by 10 million if we want to take the next step... Would hardly call this greed"

"No one has mentioned or hardly mentioned but when you have a contract, exclusive rights, consideration of half million in fargo market can only mean on thing. LAWYERS. and with lawyers their are lawsuits if contracts are not enforced. NDSU had no option to do what they did."
There's plenty of childishness on both sides here and it really just makes those on both sides look bad. I'd like to see the facts that show that Jeff & Dom are hurting the NDSU brand by having a pregame show from the tailgate lot and the postgame show from the Fargodome or by live blogging the game. Having them do their pregame show at a local business is just going to pull traffic away from the tailgate lots (although that may be a good thing for lot security). No one is going to read Jeff & Dom's live blog in lieu of watching the game. It's just petty.... and the reactions from some of the media bobo's, especially Kolpack and McFeely, have come across as even more petty. IMO, both NDSU and the Forum/WDAY guys are acting like their **** doesn't stink in this situation and they both are wrong.

No_Skill
August 1st, 2016, 07:15 PM
A week from now, this will be old news. Kolpack and McFeely will throw the occasional jab, but this is just not that big of a deal. Certainly not some doomsday scenario where NDSU shuts itself off from the public and eventually withers and dies. Fall practice started today, a new Bison centric radio station started today, and it's back to business as usual. Kicking ass and chewing bubble gum.

POD Knows
August 1st, 2016, 09:39 PM

I work with a bunch of guys that are SIU grads and we give each other ****. One guy has been wearing a Bison shirt to the NDSU/SIU game every year because he lost a bet.

skinny_uncle
August 1st, 2016, 11:34 PM

Not going to happen as long as Misery State is in the league.
xlolx

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 11:34 PM
xlolx
Can't deny that.

POD Knows
August 2nd, 2016, 06:45 AM
xlolx

100% correct. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against SIU, just a little intra-company rivalry.

AmsterBison
August 2nd, 2016, 07:38 AM
100% correct. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against SIU, just a little intra-company rivalry.

The problem with SIU losing every game is that they play two OVC teams almost every year. Losing non-conference games to OVC teams is not a good look.

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2016, 08:10 AM
The problem with SIU losing every game is that they play two OVC teams almost every year. Losing non-conference games to OVC teams is not a good look.
Especially when they turn the ball over 7 times in the process.

ST_Lawson
August 2nd, 2016, 08:32 AM
MVFC Preseason Poll is out: https://twitter.com/ValleyFootball/status/760467991616065536

clenz
August 2nd, 2016, 08:44 AM
41 has to be a record low number of points to get.

Though if I'm not mistaken, they weren't a unanimous last place vote getter.

Either two people had them at 9 or 1 had them at 8

Also, interesting to see UNI get just 5 total players on the all conference team but get first place votes, be a significant number of points a head of third place, and be in the top 3-4 of every national poll...

ytownchief22
August 2nd, 2016, 09:44 AM
Ouch...

Thumper 76
August 2nd, 2016, 09:59 AM
Ouch...

Ouch for where Youngstown is picked? That's fairly consistent with most polls I remember seeing so far. I could see them in the top three potentially but not enough to put them over SDSU who returns a lot and ISUR, who in spite of losing Roberson and Coprich still have a lot back.

ytownchief22
August 2nd, 2016, 10:11 AM
No, I meant ouch for the 41 for Missouri St lol... I knew they were going to be bad. Guess it shows..... YSU being 5th is fine by me. Hopefully we can make that climb and finally get back to the playoffs. Faith in Bo!

Thumper 76
August 2nd, 2016, 10:14 AM
No, I meant ouch for the 41 for Missouri St lol... I knew they were going to be bad. Guess it shows..... YSU being 5th is fine by me. Hopefully we can make that climb and finally get back to the playoffs. Faith in Bo!

Hopefully they win their OOC games, that's all I ask of them xlolx

underdawg
August 2nd, 2016, 10:56 AM
MVFC Preseason Poll is out: https://twitter.com/ValleyFootball/status/760467991616065536

Nope this is how it's going to be:

1.NDSU--not as good as they think they are but better than all the rest

2. SDSU--propelled by their new Bunny Hutch!

3. UNI--they'll find some way to screw the season up

4. YSU-- they are being under estimated because of history

5. SIU--just cause I say so

6. IlSt--they'll miss RB and QB bigtime

7. SD--improved

8. WIU--New coach

9. Inst--starting QB couldn't find his way to classes

10. MSU--why do I have this feeling they will knock off someone who isn't suppose to lose to them--like us

clenz
August 2nd, 2016, 01:01 PM
Boom goes the dynamite...

All media changes at NDSU have been rescinded

clenz
August 2nd, 2016, 01:03 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/760534123291312128

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/760535049364205568

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/760535208689041408

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/760535208689041408

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2016, 01:04 PM
Boom goes the dynamite...

All media changes at NDSU have been rescinded
Well, it was fun to argue about while it lasted.... Bisonville even managed to slip in a pretty lengthy debate about the constitutionality of it all. xlolx

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2016, 01:09 PM
Yesssss!!!!!

clenz
August 2nd, 2016, 01:28 PM
I'm blown away/confused by Bresciani's statement that Larson didn't think he needed to bring sweeping changes like that to the president.

Either Larson is brand new to anything athletic, university and PR related or Bresciani is completely aloof of everything the AD does.

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2016, 01:35 PM
More like "We didn't think the public would be this grumpy and just let us pull a fast one over on them...we were kidding. Back to business as usual."

The annoying part was this didn't need to happen. If it was so imperative to "protect the NDSU brand" this made us a joke and if anything hurt said brand.

clenz
August 2nd, 2016, 01:38 PM
More like "We didn't think the public would be this grumpy and just let us pull a fast one over on them...we were kidding. Back to business as usual."

The annoying part was this didn't need to happen. If it was so imperative to "protect the NDSU brand" this made us a joke and if anything hurt said brand.

The timing of the news did make me thing they were trying to pull a fast one.

It broke late on a Friday afternoon...right at "news dump so we don't have to talk about it and hope no one sees it" time.

AmsterBison
August 2nd, 2016, 01:39 PM
Well, it was fun to argue about while it lasted.... Bisonville even managed to slip in a pretty lengthy debate about the constitutionality of it all. xlolx

If there's one thing Bisonville is known for, it's our passionate debates about the Constitution. That, and coming up with nicknames for KFGO radio "personalities."

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2016, 01:44 PM
I'm blown away/confused by Bresciani's statement that Larson didn't think he needed to bring sweeping changes like that to the president.

Either Larson is brand new to anything athletic, university and PR related or Bresciani is completely aloof of everything the AD does.
Yeah, it is a little odd but there's a couple things that make it a little easier to understand. First, Bresciani is on "double secret probation" from the ND Board of Higher Education who renews his contract so he really can't afford bad press. Secondly, Forum Communications, who owns the main fishwrap in town and WDAY TV - the two main media entities hurt by this, have not been friendly in their reviews of the ol' Prez at NDSU. I'm thinking this might've been an elaborate trolling attempt to get Forum Comm to look bad and/or Bresciani to look good by showing he's "the bigger man".

EDIT: Although it was still a bad idea if it's the latter because it makes NDSU's AD look like a scolded little boy caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

AmsterBison
August 2nd, 2016, 01:50 PM
The timing of the news did make me thing they were trying to pull a fast one.

It broke late on a Friday afternoon...right at "news dump so we don't have to talk about it and hope no one sees it" time.

Based on this statement alone, you show that it would take many volumes to list all things you do not know about NDSU. Cripes, NDSU is still getting flak for making a big deal about our first DI game against Valpo. Media guys from Grand Forks to Minot to Bismarck still bring this up and make it sound like NDSU perpetuated a fraud on ND's unsuspected citizenry by promoting that game.

Other things that make for years of debate and outrage in North Dakota media circles: Changing the logo, minor uniform changes, any changes to tailgating rules to make them more permissive (i.e. as opposed to making it a class C felony like Jesus would want for NDSU but not UND), and even if NDSU's President says it never going to happen - the mere discussion of beer sales at the FargoDome causes near rioting - even if at least three other public colleges in ND already allow it... er, let me see, oh yeah... closing some practices (now on the sixth year of bitching about that), going DI in the first place, staying in DI, paying the head coach almost as much as a hockey coach, moving winter graduation out of the FargoDome to a concert hall (apparently, NDSU was supposed to decline a home playoff game instead.) And that's just what I can up with involving football off the top of my head.

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2016, 01:54 PM
Based on this statement alone, you show that it would take many volumes to list all things you do not know about NDSU. Cripes, NDSU is still getting flak for making a big deal about our first DI game against Valpo. Media guys from Grand Forks to Minot to Bismarck still bring this up and make it sound like NDSU perpetuated a fraud on ND's unsuspected citizenry by promoting that game.

Other things that make for years of debate and outrage in North Dakota media circles: Changing the logo, minor uniform changes, any changes to tailgating rules to make them more permissive (i.e. as opposed to making it a class C felony like Jesus would want for NDSU but not UND), and even if NDSU's President says it never going to happen - the mere discussion of beer sales at the FargoDome causes near rioting - even if at least three other public colleges in ND already allow it... er, let me see, oh yeah... closing some practices (now on the sixth year of bitching about that), going DI in the first place, staying in DI, paying the head coach almost as much as a hockey coach, moving winter graduation out of the FargoDome to a concert hall (apparently, NDSU was supposed to decline a home playoff game instead.) And that's just what I can up with involving football off the top of my head.

Oh great - now you've done it with the naive response. Now we have to hear about how we're Iowa and letting this get to our heads and how small we really are.

Edit: You jerk - you removed that naive line. Now I'm an ass.

F'N Hawks
August 2nd, 2016, 01:58 PM
#PROTECTTHEBRAND

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2016, 02:02 PM
#PROTECTTHEBRAND

I suppose you would know better than all of us.

AmsterBison
August 2nd, 2016, 02:06 PM
I suppose you would know better than all of us.

Holy crap, somebody get F'N Hawks 10000 CCs of Bactine stat because that was one sick burn! :) #FIGHTINGSIOUXITSTHELAW

F'N Hawks
August 2nd, 2016, 02:10 PM
Holy crap, somebody get F'N Hawks 10000 CCs of Bactine stat because that was one sick burn! :) #FIGHTINGSIOUXITSTHELAW

#PROTECTTHEBRAND

Thumper 76
August 2nd, 2016, 02:31 PM
#PROTECTTHEBRAND

Too bad they aren't an Under Armor school, they could have played it off that way.

BisonTru
August 2nd, 2016, 03:40 PM
https://twitter.com/inforum/status/760566639289110528

This is from the Forum, employers of both Kolpack and McFeeley. F em. They should re-instate these restrictions immediately.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 2nd, 2016, 03:42 PM

This is from the Forum, employers of both Kolpack and McFeeley. F em. They should re-instate these restrictions immediately.

Scary thing is how many people support the Forum and it's lies.

Drblankstare
August 2nd, 2016, 03:44 PM
#PROTECTTHEBRAND

There is no ripping you on this, the protect the brand statement is so asinine it's beyond defense. When you have Dan Barreiro on KFAN from Minneapolis, Deadspin and Trey Wingo on Twitter ripping, mocking you, you ****ed up. No matter your intentions of protecting your media rights holders(which I understand to a degree), NDSU's admin did a piss poor job of messaging and implementation.

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2016, 03:49 PM

Rob Port's idiocy knows no bounds... the fact that he's considered a journalist is an insult to any journalist ever. I'm sure he was all over this one too when the almighty Fargo Forum made a dumb mistake: http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/Bison-fans-never-wrote-signs-saying-they-wanted-to-take-on-Bama-364707161.html

Drblankstare
August 2nd, 2016, 03:55 PM
Rob Port's idiocy knows no bounds.... I'm sure he was all over this one too when the almighty Fargo Forum made a dumb mistake: http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/Bison-fans-never-wrote-signs-saying-they-wanted-to-take-on-Bama-364707161.html

Here is the other thing about this stupid ****, there are some in this state, especially that fat idiot Rob Port, who wait with a hard on for NDSU or anyone associated to step slightly out of line. He has no subjectivity and zero credibility as far as I'm concerned.

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2016, 04:06 PM
What if I told you Rob Port doesn't write what he believes? Only what he is told to write?

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2016, 04:07 PM
What if I told you Rob Port doesn't write what he believes? Only what he is told to write?
Are we talking about the Rob Port from Minot who got a DUI?

BisonTru
August 2nd, 2016, 04:08 PM
Here is the other thing about this stupid ****, there are some in this state, especially that fat idiot Rob Port, who wait with a hard on for NDSU or anyone associated to step slightly out of line. He has no subjectivity and zero credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Just sucks when the some include your hometown newspaper. They want to act like the onion treat them like the onion. Re-instate all the restrictions. Kolpack and Mcfeeley feel free to change employers. If you don't that's on you.

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2016, 04:11 PM
Are we talking about the Rob Port from Minot who got a DUI?

Yes. That fat portly one.

Drblankstare
August 2nd, 2016, 04:17 PM
Just sucks when the some include your hometown newspaper. They want to act like the onion treat them like the onion. Re-instate all the restrictions. Kolpack and Mcfeeley feel free to change employers. If you don't that's on you.

The Forum and their journalists acted liked children on this, it was for the most part a hissy fit and embarrassing. I will not defend them. NDSU is equally to blame for serving this on a silver platter

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2016, 04:24 PM
The only one who acted like he'd been there and a class act was Dom Izzo.

TheKingpin28
August 2nd, 2016, 04:32 PM

is this a 30 for 30 reference

BisonTru
August 2nd, 2016, 04:43 PM
The Forum and their journalists acted liked children on this, it was for the most part a hissy fit and embarrassing. I will not defend them. NDSU is equally to blame for serving this on a silver platter

How are they suppose to serve this up? Tell Kolpack and McFeely what they are going to do and then hope that they keep their mouths shut until they reveal the changes? If you disagree with the restrictions, then we can agree to disagree on that one for now, but I don't know how you unveil them without some pushback.

Drblankstare
August 2nd, 2016, 05:12 PM
How are they suppose to serve this up? Tell Kolpack and McFeely what they are going to do and then hope that they keep their mouths shut until they reveal the changes? If you disagree with the restrictions, then we can agree to disagree on that one for now, but I don't know how you unveil them without some pushback.

Your going to get pushback, but don't use phrasing like "protecting the brand". You will only come off sounding like a douchebag

BisonTru
August 2nd, 2016, 05:16 PM
Your going to get pushback, but don't use phrasing like "protecting the brand". You will only come off sounding like a douchebag

Damn right they should protect the brand. The hometown newspaper photoshopped fans and blew it up and threw it on the front page of the paper. NDSU's only mistake here, IMHO, is back tracking on the restrictions. It sucks for Kolpack. I don't know what his options are or have been, but his employer has crapped on NDSU every chance they get.

Twentysix
August 2nd, 2016, 06:03 PM
I agree, protecting the brand should be one of NDSU's top priorities. If they don't actively protect their brand they are worthless.

I do think there should be replay highlight restrictions, requests should be required at the very minimum.

Thumper 76
August 2nd, 2016, 09:33 PM
Man, listening to the coaches teleconference I feel bad for the MSU coach. That's gotta be a tough spot to be in.

Bisonwinagn
August 2nd, 2016, 10:33 PM
Nobody gives a **** about the NDSU media bull****. It's very petty and minor so please stop posting about something that matters to nobody. Where is all the talk about the conference preseason polls???????????????????????????

Bisonoline
August 2nd, 2016, 10:36 PM
Nobody gives a **** about the NDSU media bull****. It's very petty and minor so please stop posting about something that matters to nobody. Where is all the talk about the conference preseason polls???????????????????????????

Preseason polls doesnt mean squat.

BisonTru
August 2nd, 2016, 11:04 PM
Farley on regionalization and some of the new rules. https://soundcloud.com/mvcsports/mark-farley-uni-13 1:24 mark

Seeding is another way to do that so. You should seed up to eight. Maybe even 12 teams. But you got to seed more than just the four and go to regionalization or we'll end up in the same problems.

I agree with him on adding seeds, but how does he not know that 8 teams are seeded? He's the head coach.

JayJ79
August 2nd, 2016, 11:44 PM
I agree with him on adding seeds, but how does he not know that 8 teams are seeded? He's the head coach.

UNI hasn't landed a seed since the field/seeding was expanded (last time was 2011 where they got the #5 seed, back when it was a 20-team field with 5 seeds)

dewey
August 3rd, 2016, 06:04 AM
Here is a Fargo Forum article about the MVFC media day. Topics discussed were trying to avoid regionalization with comments from the MVFC commissioner, UNI head coach Mark Faey and SDSU head coach Stiegelmeier along with comments about a possible 12 game season and possible expansion of the league.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4086588-mvfc-commissioner-reiterates-fcs-playoffs-becoming-less-regional

Here is a post from the Bison Media Blog about MVFC media day and topics discussed.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/looking-ahead-4/

Dewey

clenz
August 3rd, 2016, 06:44 AM
Farley nailed it on the 12th game, and it's something that most of us have said from the start

"I believe in a 12-game season," Farley said, citing revenue and being able to have six home games every year. "I think it's good for UNI for a lot of reasons in my opinion. ... The option to play the 12th game is important and let the schools make the choice."

Don't limit schools who want to play 12 simply because others don't. Give schools the option to start the season a week early and play 12.

You don't have to, it's your choice. You need to weigh the pro/con to see if the potential implications come playoff time are worth it or not.

Trumpster
August 3rd, 2016, 07:45 AM
Farley nailed it on the 12th game, and it's something that most of us have said from the start

Don't limit schools who want to play 12 simply because others don't. Give schools the option to start the season a week early and play 12.

You don't have to, it's your choice. You need to weigh the pro/con to see if the potential implications come playoff time are worth it or not.

On the other hand, if you don't want to play 12 and you know that if others play 12 and you don't then you are at a disadvantage maybe you want to oppose the move to 12 games for anybody.

clenz
August 3rd, 2016, 07:48 AM
Ah yes the "we don't want too so no one can" mentality that my 3 year old uses.

That's a great mentality to run college athletics on.

Trumpster
August 3rd, 2016, 07:52 AM
Ah yes the "we don't want too so no one can" mentality that my 3 year old uses.

That's a great mentality to run college athletics on.

It's looking out for #1

Bisonator
August 3rd, 2016, 08:00 AM

Yep I agree with Coach Farley. If a school wants to add a 12th game they should be able to IMO.

Professor Chaos
August 3rd, 2016, 08:02 AM
It didn't hurt NDSU in 2013 or ISUr in 2014 to play 11 games in a season where 12 was allowed.

Bisonator
August 3rd, 2016, 08:03 AM
On the other hand, if you don't want to play 12 and you know that if others play 12 and you don't then you are at a disadvantage maybe you want to oppose the move to 12 games for anybody.

How many schools is this really going to affect though? Maybe a handful of bubble teams at most. So an 8-4 team makes it in over a 7-4 team? Tough titties, win another game!

Trumpster
August 3rd, 2016, 08:10 AM
How many schools is this really going to affect though? Maybe a handful of bubble teams at most. So an 8-4 team makes it in over a 7-4 team? Tough titties, win another game!

I'm just saying, why would you make it harder on yourself.

Bisonator
August 3rd, 2016, 08:12 AM

An extra home game, money, exposure, experience, etc.

IBleedYellow
August 3rd, 2016, 08:29 AM

That's the exact type of thinking that lead us to leave DII. The hivemind was taken over by schools that wanted to go backwards instead of forwards.

clenz
August 3rd, 2016, 08:30 AM
An extra home game, money, exposure, experience, etc.
The first two are all the reason needed.

UNI getting 6 home games every year is more than enough reason for 12 games for 99% of UNI fans to support it.
Money from that 6th home game will get the other 1 %

- - - Updated - - -

That's the exact type of thinking that lead us to leave DII. The hivemind was taken over by schools that wanted to go backwards instead of forwards.
It's why people see another split with the G5 and top FCS.

Many top FCS want to drive forward....many FCS don't.

The rift/divide is going to grow until something happens

UNIFanSince1983
August 3rd, 2016, 08:34 AM

Does it make it harder or does it make it easier? I mean with 12 you have more room for error I would think right? Like 8-4 certainly looks better than 7-4 (provided they were all D1 games). Just like 7-5 looks better than 6-5.

Trumpster
August 3rd, 2016, 08:43 AM
Does it make it harder or does it make it easier? I mean with 12 you have more room for error I would think right? Like 8-4 certainly looks better than 7-4 (provided they were all D1 games). Just like 7-5 looks better than 6-5.

If you start with the view that you don't want to play 12 games for whatever reason, it is better for you if others do not either.

Thumper 76
August 3rd, 2016, 08:53 AM
The first two are all the reason needed.

UNI getting 6 home games every year is more than enough reason for 12 games for 99% of UNI fans to support it.
Money from that 6th home game will get the other 1 %

- - - Updated - - -

It's why people see another split with the G5 and top FCS.

Many top FCS want to drive forward....many FCS don't.

The rift/divide is going to grow until something happens

Of course Patty V says the MVFC is against the 12 game schedule.

Thumper 76
August 3rd, 2016, 08:55 AM
If you start with the view that you don't want to play 12 games for whatever reason, it is better for you if others do not either.

So what's the reason you don't want 12 games then?

Trumpster
August 3rd, 2016, 08:58 AM

IDK, I don't care

neverobeyed
August 3rd, 2016, 09:05 AM

Too much math?

clenz
August 3rd, 2016, 09:39 AM
Of course Patty V says the MVFC is against the 12 game schedule.
Patty V, for a number of reasons, shouldn't be leading the MVFC.

Professor Chaos
August 3rd, 2016, 10:18 AM
Didn't Patty V say that the conference was against FCOA about a year ago too (probably at the MVFC media day)? Now NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UNI are all doing it.

Sycamore62
August 3rd, 2016, 11:16 AM
12 games got us in the playoffs 2 years ago. It allowed us to play a big money game and a small money game and win that one.

IBleedYellow
August 3rd, 2016, 12:11 PM
Patty V is on with Jeff Culhane and Jeremey Jorgenson on Bison1660 right now talking 12 games/playoffs.

Bison1660.com will have a podcast later.

gregatim
August 3rd, 2016, 04:42 PM
Patty V, for a number of reasons, shouldn't be leading the MVFC.

Post of the year!

JayJ79
August 3rd, 2016, 05:19 PM
Didn't Patty V say that the conference was against FCOA about a year ago too (probably at the MVFC media day)? Now NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UNI are all doing it.

SDSU, USD, and UNI were against FCOA for football about a year ago (at least the ADs, because of finances), but because NDSU jumped the shark on it, the other schools have had to follow suit or face recruiting disadvantages.

thebootfitter
August 3rd, 2016, 06:43 PM
SDSU, USD, and UNI were against FCOA for football about a year ago (at least the ADs, because of finances), but because NDSU jumped the shark on it, the other schools have had to follow suit or face recruiting disadvantages.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23077&stc=1

dewey
August 4th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about All American MLB Nick DeLuca.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4087643-deluca-has-all-tools-he-begins-his-senior-year-bison

Dewey

Hambone
August 4th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Found this article on si.com. Not much I hadn't heard before but a good read.

http://www.campusrush.com/north-dakota-state-bison-football-carson-wentz-1958646374.html

Twentysix
August 4th, 2016, 11:28 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23077&stc=1

With his likely opinion of the matter, he probably used it correctly. Even if unintentionally.

dewey
August 4th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Looks like Southern Illinois has a new look for 2016.

http://www.chicagonow.com/prairie-state-pigskin/2016/08/prairie-state-pigskin-notebook-siu-introduces-new-look-as-nick-hill-era-nears-kickoff/

Dewey

clenz
August 4th, 2016, 02:51 PM
As said yesterday on twitter when I saw that helmet - dropping the black/graphite color they've been using is a massive upgrade

UNIFanSince1983
August 4th, 2016, 03:18 PM
That is a huge upgrade. Not only do they rid of that hideous colored helmet, but that gawd awful Saluki head logo too.

They should have gone back to white, but can't complain about the maroon instead.

Thumper 76
August 4th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I liked their graphite ones tbh, but the new ones look good too.

ST_Lawson
August 4th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Looks like Southern Illinois has a new look for 2016.

http://www.chicagonow.com/prairie-state-pigskin/2016/08/prairie-state-pigskin-notebook-siu-introduces-new-look-as-nick-hill-era-nears-kickoff/

Dewey

That actually looks really nice. I like it.

Schism55
August 4th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Like the side they show....but whats with number on the other side? Hard to pull that look off right imo. Disturbing trend.
Anyone seen a pic of the numbered side?

dewey
August 4th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about long snapper James Fisher and the tight knit group (PSK) punt, snap and kick.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4088154-kicking-village-ndsu-long-snapper-fisher-mourns-loss-fellow-specialists

Dewey

F'N Hawks
August 5th, 2016, 09:48 PM

Pretty sure Lord Dean is on borrowed time after tonight's little open records request. What a pompous jackass.

dewey
August 5th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Pretty sure Lord Dean is on borrowed time after tonight's little open records request. What a pompous jackass.

Here is the article a Siouxage fan is referring to.

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/columnists/4088887-port-text-messages-show-bresciani-initially-supported-restrictive-media

My opinion since the president stated he was profoundly disappointed was either the president didn't know about the new rules (bad move by AD) or he did know and is now back pedaling (throw AD under the bus). Clearly he did know and is back pedaling. NDSU royally screwed the pooch on this one. I understand trying to protect the brand and not let anyone do play by play blogs, video blogs from NDSU grounds as it potentially takes away viewership from the company that has the broadcast rights. If you force people to get approved you now know that they are competent journalists/reporters and not some hacks like K State Mask fan broadcasting from the Fargodome. Had they said that anything stated above needs to be approved then maybe it isn't a big deal or as big of a deal.

It is also surprising that the AD and the president would be dumb enough to send text messages over electronic devices that are subject to open records requests. For corn and rice sake do it from your personal accounts and if anyone gets piss claim the Crooked Hillary Clinton rule of ignorance.

Dewey

Twentysix
August 5th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Here is the article a Siouxage fan is referring to.

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/columnists/4088887-port-text-messages-show-bresciani-initially-supported-restrictive-media

My opinion since the president stated he was profoundly disappointed was either the president didn't know about the new rules (bad move by AD) or he did know and is now back pedaling (throw AD under the bus). Clearly he did know and is back pedaling. NDSU royally screwed the pooch on this one. I understand trying to protect the brand and not let anyone do play by play blogs, video blogs from NDSU grounds as it potentially takes away viewership from the company that has the broadcast rights. If you force people to get approved you now know that they are competent journalists/reporters and not some hacks like K State Mask fan broadcasting from the Fargodome. Had they said that anything stated above needs to be approved then maybe it isn't a big deal or as big of a deal.

It is also surprising that the AD and the president would be dumb enough to send text messages over electronic devices that are subject to open records requests. For corn and rice sake do it from your personal accounts and if anyone gets piss claim the Crooked Hillary Clinton rule of ignorance.

Dewey

Keep the politics in the political board Trumpanzee.

BisonTru
August 6th, 2016, 03:17 AM
Their big screw up was lifting the restrictions. Now, they've teed up the story for the Forum to **** on NDSU again. Not that it would happen, but I'd fully support Matt Larson holding a press conference on Monday and stating "Restrictions re-istated" and then dropping the mic and walking off.

- - - Updated - - -

Their big screw up was lifting the restrictions. Now, they've teed up the story for the Forum to **** on NDSU again. Not that it would happen, but I'd fully support Matt Larson holding a press conference on Monday and stating "Restrictions re-istated" and then dropping the mic and walking off.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 6th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Really?

Complaining about that?

xrolleyesx

POD Knows
August 6th, 2016, 08:39 AM

Keep the politics in the political boards, commie :D

Professor Chaos
August 6th, 2016, 09:26 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Meh, IMO their big screw up was the timing and presentation of the restrictions in the first place. As we now know, based on Heitkamp's blog and the texts in this article, the ridiculous stipulations in the Forum's media rights bids are what prompted NDSU to draft these new restrictions in more of a "stick it to the Forum" move than a move to protect their rights holders. I think they failed to fully realize the loyal following Jeff & Dom have and how good the Forum is at wrestling in the mud so they tried to back pedal out of the mud pit they shouldn't have been in in the first place.

When the bids next come up I'd fully support them reinstating these restrictions clearly before bids are even submitted and making the Forum put their money where their mouth is. But the bottom line is they were drug through the mud on this more because of how and why they instituted these restrictions than how they rescinded them.

Thumper 76
August 6th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Meh, IMO their big screw up was the timing and presentation of the restrictions in the first place. As we now know, based on Heitkamp's blog and the texts in this article, the ridiculous stipulations in the Forum's media rights bids are what prompted NDSU to draft these new restrictions in more of a "stick it to the Forum" move than a move to protect their rights holders. I think they failed to fully realize the loyal following Jeff & Dom have and how good the Forum is at wrestling in the mud so they tried to back pedal out of the mud pit they shouldn't have been in in the first place.

When the bids next come up I'd fully support them reinstating these restrictions clearly before bids are even submitted and making the Forum put their money where their mouth is. But the bottom line is they were drug through the mud on this more because of how and why they instituted these restrictions than how they rescinded them.

They should have just announced what the restrictions would be way back when the bidding began or right after the bidding was over.

Bisonoline
August 6th, 2016, 08:55 PM

^^^^^
This!!!!!

skinny_uncle
August 6th, 2016, 11:41 PM
That actually looks really nice. I like it.

Me, too.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 9th, 2016, 08:33 PM
NDSU vs CSU

There will be a game replay on ESPN U 8/29 @ noon central.

UNIFanSince1983
August 12th, 2016, 08:09 AM
So went to Casey's this morning since they are famous for pizza. Only options were veggie or bacon breakfast pizza. Was disappointed and had to settle for the bacon because veggies have no business on breakfast pizza.

TheKingpin28
August 12th, 2016, 09:10 AM
So went to Casey's this morning since they are famous for pizza. Only options were veggie or bacon breakfast pizza. Was disappointed and had to settle for the bacon because veggies have no business on breakfast pizza.

"Settle for the bacon"??? One does not settle for bacon. One accepts the blessing known as bacon and thanks Casey's for having that.

But yes, who the hell wants a veggie pizza? That is just wrong. That is like people who say pineapple does NOT belong pizza. They are just wrong.

Thumper 76
August 12th, 2016, 09:11 AM

You never have to "settle" for bacon. God is giving you a wonderful opportunity.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 12th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Bacon, bacon, bacon, and more bacon.

clenz
August 12th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Last two mornings I've been jonesing for some Casey's for breakfast. Both mornings the one closest to my house has been out when I've gotten there.

Talk about settling - I had to get a bacon croissant.

Yote 53
August 12th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet. I like what I am seeing from Nielson off the field. Now we need to win on the field.

http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-mens-football/mvfc-recruiting-is-busiest-in-fcs-south-dakota-red-hot

Yote 53
August 12th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Ok, which one of you was it? Clenz? Going the extra mile for your preseason write-ups?

https://twitter.com/ElsenMidcoSN/status/763892038903345152/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Click a couple of times to get both pages.

clenz
August 12th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Ok, which one of you was it? Clenz? Going the extra mile for your preseason write-ups?

https://twitter.com/ElsenMidcoSN/status/763892038903345152/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I was done with my write of of USD a couple weeks ago.

I've got enough **** going in my life that I don't have time to go to the **** hole that is Vermillion - 50 hours of work, grad school, 2 kids, writing for the wedge, GTA V online....I sleep about 2 hours a night.

I'm also not dumb enough to wear logos of a school I just left. I'd wear it for a different school.

Thumper 76
August 12th, 2016, 11:44 AM

Wish he would have said what school it was. Talk about a fun way to spend an afternoon, trolling the USD coaching staff xlolx

Twentysix
August 13th, 2016, 03:14 AM
It was Missouri State. They need a way to finally win a ****ing conference game.

Twentysix
August 15th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Breaking news out of YSU:

I just got the text.

Bo Pelini got a new lunchbox.

https://s4.postimg.io/nmcobj7od/13900348_10154451924942720_3577973454979508202_n.j pg

ytownchief22
August 15th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Breaking news out of YSU:

I just got the text.

Bo Pelini got a new lunchbox.

https://s4.postimg.io/nmcobj7od/13900348_10154451924942720_3577973454979508202_n.j pg

Carl Pelini got a matching one I heard ;)

Yote 53
August 15th, 2016, 08:55 AM
It was Missouri State. They need a way to finally win a ****ing conference game.

Preparing for an opponent you don't even play the next two seasons, that would be a Mo State thing to do, and explains a lot about what is going on there.

Sycamore62
August 15th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Preparing for an opponent you don't even play the next two seasons, that would be a Mo State thing to do, and explains a lot about what is going on there.

Yeah, they were filming the scout team. they should be starters by 2018

CappinHard
August 15th, 2016, 01:56 PM

The funniest part is the coach thinking that anyone would waste time scouting a perennial MVFC bottom feeder. :D

UNIFanSince1983
August 15th, 2016, 02:11 PM
So a USD student was taping USD practices?

POD Knows
August 15th, 2016, 02:14 PM
So a USD student was taping USD practices?

Yes, but why ruin a good story. :D We don't have enough whodunits on this message board.

clenz
August 15th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Here you go Yote fans....

http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preview-south-dakota/

I can hear the screams from USD fans already. I can already hear the things USD fans on AGS would/will type as a reply: “Something about jealous of Hawkeyes”, “Scared that USD is the sleeping giant coming for UNI”, etc… Settle a bit, USD fans. I see a future at USD that I didn’t with Glenn at the helm. I think USD is going to be better than that in terms of competitive level, I just don’t see the record showing it this year. I won’t be shocked at all to see USD beat UNM, YSU, Indiana State, Illinois State or Western Illinois. If YSU and ISUb were home games, I give USD the nod. I want to give USD more wins, I really do. I have to predict based on who I think has the better chance to win and this year USD falls on the wrong side of that. I’d be surprised to USD beat UNI, but it won’t catch me completely off guard. I won’t be shocked to see USD at 5 or 6 wins. I think 5-6 with 3 or 4 conference wins is realistic this year. I think they have good talent at the top, I just don’t think they have depth right now. Nielson will bring that, at least on offense. For the first time I actually think USD had a bit of a future to look forward too, assuming Nielson isn’t poached if he has success. I just don’t like how the schedule sets for for USD this year. Flip a couple home/road games and move a game from early to MVFC play to late and I’d predict this different. I don’t think you’re MVFC title bound anytime soon, but I think Nielson can get USD to fighting for a playoff spot, like he did with WIU, before this years freshman class graduates.

Just ignore the record I predicted....xlolx

clenz
August 15th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Oh man. I hurt the poor yote fans feelings and I'm the sole reason they don't come here anymore.

What a joke. Grow some skin.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160815/b1225eb07b936d53be56c086fdf870c4.jpg

clenz
August 15th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Also cut off from that is the 987th reference in the last 3 weeks from Yote fan doing exactly what I predicted he would in the write up. Talked about how worried I am the Yotes are going to displace UNI in the conference standings, which means consistently finishing top 3 or 4....

That, of course means they'll have to actually learn to win more than 3 conference games in a season

BisonTru
August 15th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Oh man. I hurt the poor yote fans feelings and I'm the sole reason they don't come here anymore.

I'm the sole reason they don't come here anymore.

the other being it's basically a NDSU forum

Cmon Clenz. We deserve some credit too. xcoolx

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 06:57 PM

xlolx I saw that earlier and was wondering if that would be brought up. Yote fans are hilarious xlolx

clenz
August 15th, 2016, 07:00 PM
It bugs the hell out of them that the article I wrote is a balanced write up and they can't argue a damn thing I said they just know they hate me so much that they need to point out I am why they don't come here and that they think I'm a "turd"

clenz
August 15th, 2016, 07:00 PM
The best part of that thread the is 7 or 8 win predictions with 5 or 6 conference wins.

Yotes21
August 15th, 2016, 07:23 PM
You must be worried about it if you went to the board and read it. The poster said it was a fair assessment, but you usually post crap here. Seems pretty accurate.

clenz
August 15th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Worried? Nope. Don't give a damn what some puppies at the bottom of the conference think. I was simply curious where what I'm writing gets shared.

I've been in every teams board that have had articles written by me. That includes the things I've published for the Patriot League, Big South and OVC

Yotes21
August 15th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Good work. I thought it was a fair assessment of what could happen this season. You must have a lot of free time on your hands. I have read a few of them.

clenz
August 15th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Free time? Depends how you want to define that. I work 50 hours a week, go to grad school and have a 3.5 year old and a kid that turns 1 the day UNI plays Montana next month. I sleep about 3 hours a night, max. I've been a poll voter off and on for 6 years or so here. If I could get paid to write about the FCS I would.

It's more that I have a passion for the sport, for the subdivision and for the site. It has manifested itself in large numbers of spreadsheets of every OOC game ever played by an MVFC team that's completely a portable by location, opponent, year, Valley team, score, regular season, playoffs, etc...

I've also catalogued every playoff game and the conference the teams were in at the time.

I'm one of the guys that always does this kind of stuff for himself as his hobby but one of the few that shares it and goes out of the way to do it.

I don't have other hobbies. I don't hunt, I don't fish, I don't collect things, I don't golf often, etc... I'm an avid indoorsman that has a job with three monitors and unfiltered Internet access at work those 50 hours a week. I get my **** done fast so I can do stuff like this at work and devote all my time at home to my kids

Hell, if I feel real ambitious as the season wears on I'll add a MVFC focused podcast to the mix called "clenz rants about...everything because that's what he does"

90% of what I say is a caricature of my thoughts, and at this point in my life I'm so scaled back on how "Pvt Pyle" (as Ursus nicknamed me a few years back) I get that me 6 years ago would call me a pussy. xLOLx

There are some fan bases that are fun to play with. SIU, NDSU and USD just happen to be at the top of the list. ISUr was fun but they were too whiney about it for my liking and I moved on

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Free time? Depends how you want to define that. I work 50 hours a week, go to grad school and have a 3.5 year old and a kid that turns 1 the day UNI plays Montana next month. I sleep about 3 hours a night, max. I've been a poll voter off and on for 6 years or so here. If I could get paid to write about the FCS I would.

It's more that I have a passion for the sport, for the subdivision and for the site. It has manifested itself in large numbers of spreadsheets of every OOC game ever played by an MVFC team that's completely a portable by location, opponent, year, Valley team, score, regular season, playoffs, etc...

I've also catalogued every playoff game and the conference the teams were in at the time.

I'm one of the guys that always does this kind of stuff for himself as his hobby but one of the few that shares it and goes out of the way to do it.

I don't have other hobbies. I don't hunt, I don't fish, I don't collect things, I don't golf often, etc... I'm an avid indoorsman that has a job with three monitors and unfiltered Internet access at work those 50 hours a week. I get my **** done fast so I can do stuff like this at work and devote all my time at home to my kids

Hell, if I feel real ambitious as the season wears on I'll add a MVFC focused podcast to the mix called "clenz rants about...everything because that's what he does"

90% of what I say is a caricature of my thoughts, and at this point in my life I'm so scaled back on how "Pvt Pyle" (as Ursus nicknamed me a few years back) I get that me 6 years ago would call me a pussy. xLOLx

There are some fan bases that are fun to play with. SIU, NDSU and USD just happen to be at the top of the list. ISUr was fun but they were too whiney about it for my liking and I moved on

I had always though a College Gameday style show would be fun to do, but the Wedge has since came out and I work almost every Saturday.......so that's prolly out for a while.

centennial
August 15th, 2016, 08:31 PM
You must be worried about it if you went to the board and read it. The poster said it was a fair assessment, but you usually post crap here. Seems pretty accurate.

Calling him a turd is accurate? For the record I don't see how USD wins 4 games. Just because USD beat NDSU means nothing in the long run. Call me a turd too?

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 08:34 PM
For the record I don't see how USD wins 4 games. Just because USD beat NDSU means nothing in the long run.

No that win means they are going to run the table in the Valley! Just like their win against Minnesota did! xlolx

Yotes21
August 15th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Calling him a turd is accurate? For the record I don't see how USD wins 4 games. Just because USD beat NDSU means nothing in the long run. Call me a turd too?

Cool your jets. If being called a "turd" is that offensive maybe you all need to "grow thicker skin". I never said anything about the NDSU game, you did. I can see why people dislike this site.

Yotes21
August 15th, 2016, 08:57 PM
No that win means they are going to run the table in the Valley! Just like their win against Minnesota did! xlolx

2 team State didn't beat xthumbsupx

Yotes21
August 15th, 2016, 08:59 PM

Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 09:01 PM
2 team State didn't beat xthumbsupx

One team the yotes haven't beat. SDSU

Yotes21
August 15th, 2016, 09:02 PM
One team the yotes haven't beat. SDSU

Correct, I don't see it happening this season either.

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Correct, I don't see it happening this season either.

No worries, I'm struggling to se us beat NDSU this year either. They are always playing A ball that game.

centennial
August 15th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Cool your jets. If being called a "turd" is that offensive maybe you all need to "grow thicker skin". I never said anything about the NDSU game, you did. I can see why people dislike this site.
Honestly, how many games does USD win this year? Clenz is being generous, you have a new coach running different O and D. It's not like USD is killing it in the talent department. Plus you have a coach that jumped ship within the conference, does anyone know when that has last happened just for money(d1)? If lightening strikes and he is successful this season, what makes you think he won't run off to Liberty or Delaware?

Yotes21
August 15th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Honestly, how many games does USD win this year? Clenz is being generous, you have a new coach running different O and D. It's not like USD is killing it in the talent department. Plus you have a coach that jumped ship within the conference, does anyone know when that has last happened just for money(d1)? If lightening strikes and he is successful this season, what makes you think he won't run off to Liberty or Delaware?

You must not have any reading comprehension. I said it was a fair assessment. You seem quite uptight.

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 10:24 PM

Eh, I could see used beating the trees.

BisonTru
August 15th, 2016, 10:27 PM

Was that typo or smack? USeD xawesomex

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Was that typo or smack? USeD xawesomex

Smack sir ;) I have a lot of really bad smack I can use with the used thing, but I don't think they are message board appropriate unless someone REALLY deserves it, or I'm real drunk.

BisonFan02
August 16th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Smack sir ;) I have a lot of really bad smack I can use with the used thing, but I don't think they are message board appropriate unless someone REALLY deserves it, or I'm real drunk.

**** em. Do it.

Thumper 76
August 16th, 2016, 12:53 AM
**** em. Do it.

Nah, I'll save my good stuff for the week we play them.

BisonFan02
August 16th, 2016, 12:57 AM
Nah, I'll save my good stuff for the week we play them.

Save?......Good Stuff?..... :D

Thumper 76
August 16th, 2016, 12:59 AM
Save?......Good Stuff?..... :D

Did I say good stuff? I meant great stuff. I tell you it's going to be amazing. There's going to be so much great stuff, you're going to get tired of great stuff. Let me tell you, it's going to be great.

dewey
August 16th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Did I say good stuff? I meant great stuff. I tell you it's going to be amazing. There's going to be so much great stuff, you're going to get tired of great stuff. Let me tell you, it's going to be great.

I am looking forward to all this great smack!

Dewey

Houndawg
August 16th, 2016, 07:48 AM

One would think you'd be better at it. xlolx

Someday UNI will win an NC like SIU and your hate will fade. Someday the Cubs will win the World Series....

ST_Lawson
August 16th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Plus you have a coach that jumped ship within the conference, does anyone know when that has last happened just for money(d1)?

Only for money?...can't think of any. Closest I know of is when Coach Randy Ball, who was very successful at Western, went to Missouri State and was entirely mediocre there. He had personal connections to the area though.

UNIFanSince1983
August 16th, 2016, 08:07 AM
One would think you'd be better at it. xlolx

Someday UNI will win an NC like SIU and your hate will fade. Someday the Cubs will win the World Series....

Not so sure about that one.

POD Knows
August 16th, 2016, 08:07 AM

It will be yugely great.

Houndawg
August 16th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Not so sure about that one.

They might even do it before UNI fails to choke in the playoffs

Sycamore62
August 16th, 2016, 08:40 AM

nope

IBleedYellow
August 16th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Turd

UNIFanSince1983
August 16th, 2016, 09:25 AM

I am not sure of the entire situation, but Clint Conque jumped from UCA to SFA. Not sure it was entirely money, but he was coming off a 7-4 season after two straight playoff appearances at UCA. Then went to SFA which I would have to assume was due to money.

IBleedYellow
August 16th, 2016, 11:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqZhNKIEsg

NDSU Season Trailer.

Thumper 76
August 16th, 2016, 12:10 PM
SDSU hype video/new song by former Jackrabbit player. Honestly think it'll be a great song for tailgating. Not going to be a chart topper, but it's not Hot Hot Hot xlolx

https://youtu.be/wCf0Hj34RUk

POD Knows
August 16th, 2016, 12:20 PM
SDSU hype video/new song by former Jackrabbit player. Honestly think it'll be a great song for tailgating. Not going to be a chart topper, but it's not Hot Hot Hot xlolx

Ooooooooook xeyebrowx

MrLahey
August 16th, 2016, 12:39 PM

I've been lurking AGS for sometime now... occasionally typing a response and deleting it.... but this was where my silence ends. That song is absolute trash......

Thundar

im sorry dude but thats terrible

Thumper 76
I've been lurking AGS for sometime now... occasionally typing a response and deleting it.... but this was where my silence ends. That song is absolute trash......

I'm over it ;) glad I could pull you out of the weeds

Thumper 76
August 16th, 2016, 12:42 PM
im sorry dude but thats terrible

Never said it was great. Or even good. But it's good enough for me. But I grew up a Packers fan listening to this at tailgates so I don't have a high bar for tailgating music. If it's about my team, I'm in.

https://youtu.be/4IlsTXvqXsg

BisonTru
August 16th, 2016, 12:46 PM
I like it. xlolx

https://media.makeameme.org/created/if-you-come-gbpf44.jpg

UNIFanSince1983
August 16th, 2016, 01:18 PM
It is honestly only slightly better than "Cheney"...

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 16th, 2016, 01:23 PM

That music is horrible.