PDA

View Full Version : MVFC 2016 Edition

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thumper 76
April 13th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Yeah, good luck with that. I expect to win at Iowa. Weer gon b gud. ;)

Absolutely you are. But State tends to have better years than expected when they aren't expected to do much. Granted, I'm obviously biased, but they are my darkhorse team this season. If the reports from spring ball are decently accurate, the D should be pretty nasty. If we get the O line shored up, watch out.

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Anybody willing to go through their schedule and do some game by game predictions way too early? Looking at SDSUs schedule I think they should make the playoffs for sure and if they don't they will have underperformed mightily.

Schedule:

@TCU- L, I'd be tickled pink to be wrong obviously

Drake- W, first game in DJD Stadium, against non scholly Drake should be a cakewalk

Cal Poly- W, Jacks have a pretty good record against the Big Sky as long as the team isn't named Montana.

WIU- W, conference opener, at home, against a team with a coach, and a lot of revenge on the minds of the players after what transpired last year.

@SIU- W, just don't see the Dogs having a defense to run with their offense. The Jacks D Line is supposed to be looking awesome in camp, and the Wizard and whoever is QB should tear them apart. This is one of two I could see the Jacks choke in however.

@NDSU- L, cause it's the ****ing Bison, in Fargo, and we tend to **** ourselves every time we see those green and yellow jerseys. Honestly I think this game depends on who is QB for the Jacks. TC could give the Bison fits with his running ability, or not. Usually what I'm optimistic about coming into these games proves to be wrong.

YSU- W, just because it's YSU and its towards the end of Oct. These teams have been winning at the other teams house recently, but hopefully there is some bitter SD cold and wind, cause I remember YSU players not being overly fond of chilly games. This game could be the one that decides 3rd place unless SIU or ISUr surprise me.

@ISUr- W, I think the birds have lost too much this year. They will most likely have revenge on their minds though after last years game (should have been replay wah wah wah) making this one I could see the Jacks dropping as well. But it's spring so I'm optimistic.

MSU- W, it's MSU. And if SDSU is smart, this will be the Hobo Day game. So there's that. Biggest issue here should be keeping the players from looking ahead to playing the varmints the next week.

USD- W, because it's usd, plus they have a new staff and lost their stud d end to transferring. USD sucks. Ha ha ha.

@UNI- L, because State always plays like trash in the UNIdome, and UNI is most likely going to be UNI, scratching and clawing for their playoff lives, even though they really will be good enough that they should be coasting in or playing for a seed.

Record: 8-3, being the first team not seeded.

So, I'm expecting a classic SDSU season. Beat the mid to lower teams in conference, lose to UNI and NDSU, have a record not quite good enough for a seed, get a home game first round unless paired with Montana, then off to Fargo. Again. Yay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
April 19th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Anybody willing to go through their schedule and do some game by game predictions way too early? Looking at SDSUs schedule I think they should make the playoffs for sure and if they don't they will have underperformed mightily.

Schedule:

@TCU- L, I'd be tickled pink to be wrong obviously

Drake- W, first game in DJD Stadium, against non scholly Drake should be a cakewalk

Cal Poly- W, Jacks have a pretty good record against the Big Sky as long as the team isn't named Montana.

WIU- W, conference opener, at home, against a team with a coach, and a lot of revenge on the minds of the players after what transpired last year.

@SIU- W, just don't see the Dogs having a defense to run with their offense. The Jacks D Line is supposed to be looking awesome in camp, and the Wizard and whoever is QB should tear them apart. This is one of two I could see the Jacks choke in however.

@NDSU- L, cause it's the ****ing Bison, in Fargo, and we tend to **** ourselves every time we see those green and yellow jerseys. Honestly I think this game depends on who is QB for the Jacks. TC could give the Bison fits with his running ability, or not. Usually what I'm optimistic about coming into these games proves to be wrong.

YSU- W, just because it's YSU and its towards the end of Oct. These teams have been winning at the other teams house recently, but hopefully there is some bitter SD cold and wind, cause I remember YSU players not being overly fond of chilly games. This game could be the one that decides 3rd place unless SIU or ISUr surprise me.

@ISUr- W, I think the birds have lost too much this year. They will most likely have revenge on their minds though after last years game (should have been replay wah wah wah) making this one I could see the Jacks dropping as well. But it's spring so I'm optimistic.

MSU- W, it's MSU. And if SDSU is smart, this will be the Hobo Day game. So there's that. Biggest issue here should be keeping the players from looking ahead to playing the varmints the next week.

USD- W, because it's usd, plus they have a new staff and lost their stud d end to transferring. USD sucks. Ha ha ha.

@UNI- L, because State always plays like trash in the UNIdome, and UNI is most likely going to be UNI, scratching and clawing for their playoff lives, even though they really will be good enough that they should be coasting in or playing for a seed.

Record: 8-3, being the first team not seeded.

So, I'm expecting a classic SDSU season. Beat the mid to lower teams in conference, lose to UNI and NDSU, have a record not quite good enough for a seed, get a home game first round unless paired with Montana, then off to Fargo. Again. Yay.

https://yardale.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/ed-schultz.jpg?w=590

clenz
April 19th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I'm willing to bet the top 3, maybe 4, separate themselves more than most years.

The bottom of the league looks super ****ty right now from my POV.

The Yo Show
April 19th, 2016, 06:29 PM
When you say you think there will be more separation from the top 3, what type of record separation are you thinking? #1 being undefeated-1 loss and #4 having 3-4 conference losses?

clenz
April 19th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Right now, and could change, I've got

1. 1 loss
2. 1 maybe 2
3. 2 losses
4. 4 losses
And so on

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2016, 08:38 PM
I don't see there being a big jumble for the middle again like the last couple years. I think usd might get to 5th or 6th depends on ISUr and SIU. I think clenz nailed the losses for the top couple teams. I would put money on UNI and NDSU as the top two, one will lose to the other and both tend to have a crap game in there somewhere they shouldn't lose. Follow that with SDSU and YSU, and the rest is a crapshoot till MSU holding down the fort at the bottom.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
April 19th, 2016, 08:49 PM
I don't see there being a big jumble for the middle again like the last couple years. I think usd might get to 5th or 6th depends on ISUr and SIU. I think clenz nailed the losses for the top couple teams. I would put money on UNI and NDSU as the top two, one will lose to the other and both tend to have a crap game in there somewhere they shouldn't lose. Follow that with SDSU and YSU, and the rest is a crapshoot till MSU holding down the fort at the bottom.

Gotta hand it to MSU they are consistent xthumbsupx

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Gotta hand it to MSU they are consistent xthumbsupx

Id say the whole conference has been pretty consistent for a while now. You could be pretty confident picking three teams that would be in the top four: NDSU, UNI, and SDSU. Fourth spot would be the tough one. The middle teams are usually a minor shuffling of SIU, YSU, ISUr, and ISUb. Those teams take turns at who gets to be in the top four. Then the bottom generally being WIU, usd, and MSU. One team usually jumps up a rung out of the bottom and one falls from the middle. That's with no research of course on my part, but it seems to fall that way. There really hasn't been much rotation at the top of the conference since the XDSUs joined. I drink fairly often though so I could be totally wrong xlolx

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
April 19th, 2016, 09:28 PM
That is very true. Clearly the conference should thanks us XDSU's for the stability we have brought.xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2016, 09:40 PM
That is very true. Clearly the conference should thanks us XDSU's for the stability we have brought.xdrunkyx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BisonFan02
April 19th, 2016, 09:45 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Summit League Football or bust. :D

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Summit League Football or bust. :D

In all seriousness, if the Summit loses baseball so it doesn't offer enough sports to keep its auto into the NCAA tourney I bet there's a huge push to make the MVFC into the Summit.

BisonFan02
April 19th, 2016, 09:55 PM
In all seriousness, if the Summit loses baseball so it doesn't offer enough sports to keep its auto into the NCAA tourney I bet there's a huge push to make the MVFC into the Summit.

I think it should be at least studied anyway as a draw for better all sports members....but that's just my opinion.

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2016, 09:56 PM
I think it should be at least studied anyway as a draw for better all sports members....but that's just my opinion.

Being fairly ignorant to this, what would stop the non summit schools from supporting that switch?

Edit: if all the teams stayed the same that is

BisonFan02
April 19th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Being fairly ignorant to this, what would stop the non summit schools from supporting that switch?

Edit: if all the teams stayed the same that is

A name change (or even just a change from Viverito to Douple) doesn't mean anything. The MVFC, as structured today for football, works just fine. The difference becomes when the Summit, for example, looks to solicit new members, but do not have a home for that school's football being a wrench (*cough* UND *cough*). The conference is full of MVC teams and some random Horizon member to accomplish that already.

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2016, 10:04 PM
A name change (or even just a change from Viverito to Douple) doesn't mean anything. The MVFC, as structured today for football, works just fine. The difference becomes when the Summit, for example, looks to solicit new members, but do not have a home for that school's football being a wrench (*cough* UND *cough*). The conference is full of MVC teams and some random Horizon member to accomplish that already.

So basically the only thing that the non summit schools would not like would be the added power to add schools they didn't want due to the other non football summit schools being to vote on it?

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
April 19th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Football would probably have to have split schedules with an east and a west right? Then we'd be the mess that the Big Fluffy is

BisonFan02
April 19th, 2016, 10:13 PM
So basically the only thing that the non summit schools would not like would be the added power to add schools they didn't want due to the other non football summit schools being to vote on it?

The MVFC has 1 too many teams as it is today with the unbalanced schedule.

1 Horizon school
5 MVC schools
4 Summit League schools

Total of 10 teams with an 8 game conference schedule.

Summit league today has 9 full members and that is using that term loosely considering how stable a few of them are (Oral Roberts anyone?)

Shoot for a 9 team Summit League football conference with some combination of all sports members (UND?) and a few scholly football MVC schools.

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
WIU
....find a few more (BSC outliers? UNI or a few IL schools?)

The football problem handcuffs Douple to stabilize the Summit. The MVC doesn't have that problem.....and then there's YSU. xlolx

clenz
April 20th, 2016, 09:01 AM
The MVFC has 1 too many teams as it is today with the unbalanced schedule.

1 Horizon school
5 MVC schools
4 Summit League schools

Total of 10 teams with an 8 game conference schedule.

Summit league today has 9 full members and that is using that term loosely considering how stable a few of them are (Oral Roberts anyone?)

Shoot for a 9 team Summit League football conference with some combination of all sports members (UND?) and a few scholly football MVC schools.

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
WIU
....find a few more (BSC outliers? UNI or a few IL schools?)

The football problem handcuffs Douple to stabilize the Summit. The MVC doesn't have that problem.....and then there's YSU. xlolx
Good theory BUT the Summit has more than enough MVFC members to vote in whoever they want. All they need is UNI - who doesn't really give a damn because the are geographically in the middle and has the money to travel wherever.

That's 5 yes votes. You only have to get 1, maybe 2, Illinois schools on your side. ISUr *should* be an easy sell. They don't have the budget issue of the rest of the Illinois schools (so they say). Missouri State doesn't give a damn about anything anymore, but no matter what they've got a plane trip so that should be a yes.

UND would likely have the support if they/the summit wanted it.

Your only real staunch hold outs would be Indiana State and YSU.

The issue is you'd probably want a 12th member, where are they coming from and where are they going?

You want it to be another outlier on the western front? Not going to happen.
EIU isn't moving
Murray State isn't happening
Drake isn't happening (though I so wish it would so we could curb stomp them yearly)
Valpo isn't happening
Who is it?

clenz
April 20th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Let's say the football league was in the summit's name, that same issue still exists as it stands.

YSU, ISU, ISU, SIU, UNI and MSU could still all vote against whoemever they wanted. That's 6 potential no's, even if the summit is "in control".

Changing the name doesn't fix your issue. Turns out, you can't just railroad teams in if you are the controlling office.

Thumper 76
April 20th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Let's say the football league was in the summit's name, that same issue still exists as it stands.

YSU, ISU, ISU, SIU, UNI and MSU could still all vote against whoemever they wanted. That's 6 potential no's, even if the summit is "in control".

Changing the name doesn't fix your issue. Turns out, you can't just railroad teams in if you are the controlling office.

So basically it could happen and nothing would really change besides the name in answer to my first question. So if a Summit team ended up dropping baseball, and therefore losing the conference auto bid to the NCAA tourney due to number of teams with baseball, and by losing that was in danger of losing their NCAA basketball bid due to not having the minimum number of sports that were offered that qualified for NCAA auto bids. Is there any reason the non Summit schools would stop a change like that from happening so the Summit offered enough NCAA qualifying sports to keep its basketball bid in order to prevent the possible loss of all Summit teams looking for a new home?

BisonFan02
April 20th, 2016, 10:14 AM

Who says I'm changing the name? You guys can keep the MVFC and just call it the MVC if you want. New conference....a Summit League Football conference with the 4 core Dakota schools and others. YSU, ISUb, MSU, and others can go **** themselves. xlolx :D

- - - Updated - - -

So basically it could happen and nothing would really change besides the name in answer to my first question. So if a Summit team ended up dropping baseball, and therefore losing the conference auto bid to the NCAA tourney due to number of teams with baseball, and by losing that was in danger of losing their NCAA basketball bid due to not having the minimum number of sports that were offered that qualified for NCAA auto bids. Is there any reason the non Summit schools would stop a change like that from happening so the Summit offered enough NCAA qualifying sports to keep its basketball bid in order to prevent the possible loss of all Summit teams looking for a new home?

A non-stable Summit is the only thing that would cause NDSU to make a conference move (no to FBS unless that was the only possible home for all sports).

clenz
April 20th, 2016, 10:37 AM
It'd be the same situation as the MVFC, Pioneer and CAA...It's not really "The Summit League". It's a football league. It's why it's the Missouri Valley FOOTBALL Conference, Pioneer FOOTBALL League and technically the Colonial Athletic Association Football Conference (only half of the actual CAA has football, over half the CAA Football Conference is from other Olympic conference). They are completely separate from any other NCAA league. There would be zero danger of losing a football autobid if the Summit lost their basketball or baseball bid. The new home thing is the potential issue, but that's why football isn't going to stabilize the Summit. It's not going to be a true Summit sport. It's a football league run out of the Summit office.

Good luck just starting a new conference. I'm not sure that actually is as easy as you think.

The MVFC still has enough members to keep an autobid from the very start should the Summit teams decide to pull away - 5 MVC and 1 Horizon. The Summit needs to add UND and then one more to get a football bid. By starting a brand new conference (if possible) you don't get any leeway from the NCAA to get a bid.

I know what BF02 keeps trying to get at, but it's just not realistic.

He's banking on the fact that Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, or old Great West members want to leave the Big Sky and join a conference that would stretch Indiana to North Dakota to Utah (or California) for an all sports, including football, conference. That kind of travel budget would kill that idea from the start.

OR

He's talking about a football only league with the same footprint as the Big Sky that doesn't actually fix his stability concerns of the Summit League

Thumper 76
April 20th, 2016, 11:06 AM
It'd be the same situation as the MVFC, Pioneer and CAA...It's not really "The Summit League". It's a football league. It's why it's the Missouri Valley FOOTBALL Conference, Pioneer FOOTBALL League and technically the Colonial Athletic Association Football Conference (only half of the actual CAA has football, over half the CAA Football Conference is from other Olympic conference). They are completely separate from any other NCAA league. There would be zero danger of losing a football autobid if the Summit lost their basketball or baseball bid. The new home thing is the potential issue, but that's why football isn't going to stabilize the Summit. It's not going to be a true Summit sport. It's a football league run out of the Summit office.

Good luck just starting a new conference. I'm not sure that actually is as easy as you think.

The MVFC still has enough members to keep an autobid from the very start should the Summit teams decide to pull away - 5 MVC and 1 Horizon. The Summit needs to add UND and then one more to get a football bid. By starting a brand new conference (if possible) you don't get any leeway from the NCAA to get a bid.

I know what BF02 keeps trying to get at, but it's just not realistic.

He's banking on the fact that Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, or old Great West members want to leave the Big Sky and join a conference that would stretch Indiana to North Dakota to Utah (or California) for an all sports, including football, conference. That kind of travel budget would kill that idea from the start.

OR

He's talking about a football only league with the same footprint as the Big Sky that doesn't actually fix his stability concerns of the Summit League

Oh I get that what happens to the Summit league won't ever change the auto bid situation for the MVFC. And I realize from a team stability standpoint it won't help any either. But the MVFC has been pretty stabile, so I doubt that would be a worry. But from the Summit being able to call it the "Summit" they would have effectively replaced baseball with a sport that is much more stabile than baseball can ever be, and in effect nothing would really change for the MVFC schools other than a name change. Let's be honest, if there's no basketball autobid there's no Summit League. No Summit league, and the MVFC is going to lose some schools, and I'm certain the Big Sky would come calling to the Dakota schools. So if the option was between the Dakota schools gone from the MVFC and changing the MVFC to Summit sponsored I'd think the latter would be preferred. I only thought about this recently when someone on sdsufans brought up how of ORU were to leave then baseball wouldn't have enough teams to qualify for the tourney, which would be a domino effect for the basketball bid. I know you are the guy who tends to know best what the MVC teams and others would do most of the time. I get what BF02 is trying to say too, it's his wet dream, and I wouldn't be opposed to it. What I was suggesting is more of a change in name and supervision in order to keep the MVFC teams in line should it go down the toilet for the Summit in my above mentioned scenario, which I think is more likely than a mass exodus of schools from the Summit. It only takes one team with baseball to leave or drop the sport.

BisonFan02
April 20th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Oh I get that what happens to the Summit league won't ever change the auto bid situation for the MVFC. And I realize from a team stability standpoint it won't help any either. But the MVFC has been pretty stabile, so I doubt that would be a worry. But from the Summit being able to call it the "Summit" they would have effectively replaced baseball with a sport that is much more stabile than baseball can ever be, and in effect nothing would really change for the MVFC schools other than a name change. Let's be honest, if there's no basketball autobid there's no Summit League. No Summit league, and the MVFC is going to lose some schools, and I'm certain the Big Sky would come calling to the Dakota schools. So if the option was between the Dakota schools gone from the MVFC and changing the MVFC to Summit sponsored I'd think the latter would be preferred. I only thought about this recently when someone on sdsufans brought up how of ORU were to leave then baseball wouldn't have enough teams to qualify for the tourney, which would be a domino effect for the basketball bid. I know you are the guy who tends to know best what the MVC teams and others would do most of the time. I get what BF02 is trying to say too, it's his wet dream, and I wouldn't be opposed to it. What I was suggesting is more of a change in name and supervision in order to keep the MVFC teams in line should it go down the toilet for the Summit in my above mentioned scenario, which I think is more likely than a mass exodus of schools from the Summit. It only takes one team with baseball to leave or drop the sport.

You trust Oral Roberts or either Indiana school (IPFW or IUPUI) sticking around? One MVC phone call to Denver and they are gone too (that would be a stretch, but not impossible...same with UNO and that elusive Omaha market. :D )

Not wet....maybe just "moist". xlolx

Thumper 76
April 20th, 2016, 11:27 AM
You trust Oral Roberts or either Indiana school (IPFW or IUPUI) sticking around? One MVC phone call to Denver and they are gone too (that would be a stretch, but not impossible...same with UNO and that elusive Omaha market. :D )

Not wet....maybe just "moist". xlolx

Like I said, I'm more worried about one school or maybe two leaving that offer baseball. I don't think ALL those schools leave. But I definitely could see one or two leaving. Either way it would be a big problem.

Oh, and
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160420/cffbe6f9851876c38dbdd51032c60f4c.jpg

BisonFan02
April 20th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Don't wait for it to happen....build it. An all sports conference with more cross football rivals (especially in the case of NDSU) "moves the needle" alot more in non-football sports. 9 football/all sports members and 3-4 non-football members....

NDSU has had a good-ish football rivalry with UNI....but we don't ****ing play them in anything else. ****, they'll drive right by Fargo to go play Jacobson's UND. :D

Twentysix
April 20th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Don't wait for it to happen....build it. An all sports conference with more cross football rivals (especially in the case of NDSU) "moves the needle" alot more in non-football sports. 9 football/all sports members and 3-4 non-football members....

Sounds good to me. We could play in the PFL if they would let us have scholarships and we would still win national championships. Build a new conference who gives a ****.

clenz
April 20th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Again, I'm not sure on the rules of starting a conference up from nothing are but chances are "we have a semi solid plan for what we think we want to do" likely isn't going to work.

If the MVFC handing the name/control over to The Summit is the plan, then literally nothing changes outside of who is in control because it's still a separate league and does nothing to save the number of autbids and NCAA standing. It's still a completely different league - ala CAA and MVFC right now.

The MVFC is stable. The MVFC has a great thing going right now. There's really no need to **** with the structure of the MVFC.

If the Summit, a non-football league, is depending on football schools to save it then the issues go much deeper than the fact the MVFC is head quartered out of St. Louis and not Elmhurst, Illinois.

clenz
April 20th, 2016, 11:55 AM

NDSU has had a good-ish football rivalry with UNI....but we don't ****ing play them in anything else. ****, they'll drive right by Fargo to go play Jacobson's UND. :D
1. Our basketball team flies to every single game. Private charter to every game.
2. Jake coached at NDSU too...guess he thought so much of his time there that he doesn't seem them as worth the effort to schedule.
3. You couldn't afford to buy a home game against UNI for basketball.
4. A H/H is out of the question. It would be a minimum of a 2/1 and likely a 3/1 - which is what UND got.
5. I'm not sure on NCAA rule for starting a new conference out of thin air, it's probably somewhere on this forum, but I doubt it's as easy as you want to believe, especially when existing conference make up is still two shy of an auto bid.
6. Maybe the Summit should focus on stabilizing the Olympic sports before figuring football out.
7. Devner is a no go for the MVC. They only offer like 3 MVC sports and last time they talked with the MVC they flat out said "We won't add any other MVC sports to be in the conference. We just want in for men's basketball". They were told to **** off.
8. You've got a real ****ty conference going out there in a couple different ways.

Bisonator
April 20th, 2016, 12:30 PM
1. Our basketball team flies to every single game. Private charter to every game.
2. Jake coached at NDSU too...guess he thought so much of his time there that he doesn't seem them as worth the effort to schedule.
4. A H/H is out of the question. It would be a minimum of a 2/1 and likely a 3/1 - which is what UND got.
5. I'm not sure on NCAA rule for starting a new conference out of thin air, it's probably somewhere on this forum, but I doubt it's as easy as you want to believe, especially when existing conference make up is still two shy of an auto bid.
6. Maybe the Summit should focus on stabilizing the Olympic sports before figuring football out.
7. Devner is a no go for the MVC. They only offer like 3 MVC sports and last time they talked with the MVC they flat out said "We won't add any other MVC sports to be in the conference. We just want in for men's basketball". They were told to **** off.
8. You've got a real ****ty conference going out there in a couple different ways.

The elitist UNI has spoken.xlolx

clenz
April 20th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Meh. Meant to add smilies on a couple of those.

BisonFan02
April 20th, 2016, 12:40 PM

Fine....UNI "Flys" over Fargo in route to Grand Forks....and Jacobson is from Mayville and played basketball at UND...not comparable to ties at NDSU. UNI has good company though...MVC schools don't schedule the Bison in ANYTHING in any sort of regularity. The MVFC relationship adds nothing to the program other than a home for football.

As far as point 6, that is chicken/egg in all directions. Football is a conduit to recruit schools like UND who need a football home as well...or, frankly, a tool to retain members to the Summit like a NDSU, SDSU, and USD. Likewise, the MVFC needs a healthy Summit league, or you are looking at a borderline trash can of a conference without the Dakota schools. You recruit better/more stable Summit schools with football. Non-football members are a 24/7 flight risk.

Twentysix
April 20th, 2016, 05:40 PM

So ****ty that in Men's BB the Summit has a higher RPI ;)

Guess that makes the MVC ****tier.

IBleedYellow
May 2nd, 2016, 01:05 PM
When do TV schedules come out for the Valley Game of the Week?

Yote 53
May 2nd, 2016, 04:34 PM
Simple solution if the lack of baseball teams in the Summit ever hits critical mass, USD simply restarts their program. It won't be a good program, will probably be bare bones as far as scholarships, salaries, etc. but we could at least cobble together a team to take the field in order to preserve the MBB autobid for the Summit.

Long term what the Summit needs is to get UND in the MVFC for football so they can then join the Summit in all other sports.

UNO is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. What good is the "Omaha Market" to the MVC if nobody there gives two craps about UNO basketball? There is a pecking order in Omaha, NE, it goes Huskers, Huskers, Huskers, Huskers, Creighton Basketball, UNO Hockey. Everything else is irrelevant.

Summit League has a good thing going right now and will continue to stabilize and improve as a quality basketball conference.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 14th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Bump

Bison fans should like this:

I talked to Jedre Cyr yesterday and he said this year's team is going to kick most team's butt this year. Great guy. Talked to him for about 20 minutes. I recognized his semi anywhere!!

Twentysix
May 14th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Simple solution if the lack of baseball teams in the Summit ever hits critical mass, USD simply restarts their program. It won't be a good program, will probably be bare bones as far as scholarships, salaries, etc. but we could at least cobble together a team to take the field in order to preserve the MBB autobid for the Summit.

Long term what the Summit needs is to get UND in the MVFC for football so they can then join the Summit in all other sports.

UNO is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. What good is the "Omaha Market" to the MVC if nobody there gives two craps about UNO basketball? There is a pecking order in Omaha, NE, it goes Huskers, Huskers, Huskers, Huskers, Creighton Basketball, UNO Hockey. Everything else is irrelevant.

Summit League has a good thing going right now and will continue to stabilize and improve as a quality basketball conference.

Agreed, UND to the Summit/MVFC makes a lot of sense for the Dakota core.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 08:02 AM
This is what kind of manager/boss I am. This is how I rolled into work this morning

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/1ae3a194b0379a84db1d6a2a10e64134.jpg

IBleedYellow
May 20th, 2016, 08:35 AM
...I'm having an omelet...your guys GET THAT?!

:(

TheKingpin28
May 20th, 2016, 09:02 AM
How much bacon was on it?

POD Knows
May 20th, 2016, 09:12 AM
How much bacon was on it?

Too much I bet

Professor Chaos
May 20th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Nice to see you reppin the Redbirds clenz xthumbsupx

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Nice to see you reppin the Redbirds clenz xthumbsupx
Illinois State?

Nah.

L1C4, my man

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lou/sports/genrel/auto_vipplayer/7511893.jpeg

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/414587_4502085468339_1409453341_o.jpg

344Johnson
May 20th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Illinois State?

Nah.

L1C4, my man

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lou/sports/genrel/auto_vipplayer/7511893.jpeg

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/414587_4502085468339_1409453341_o.jpg

Who on earth cheers for Louisville????

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Too much I bet
I asked for about 3/4 the amount of normal. It was perfect.

POD Knows
May 20th, 2016, 10:15 AM

It is the breakfast of champions.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Who on earth cheers for Louisville????
I do. My three schools

UNI - family history as my grandmother graduated from the Iowa State Teachers College. Aunt went to UNI when it first changed to UNI from ISTC...then got kicked out for lighting the presidents lawn on fire. Cousin attended. I attended. Wife has 2 degrees from UNI. Brother in-law has 3.
Michigan - just always was. No "real" reason. Just instant attachment as a kid.
Louisville - My wife has family just outside of Louisville to the east in one of the smaller towns. We visit every other year or so. Been to a football game there, baseball game, been to a race at Churchill Downs (right across the street from the athletic facilities) but not the Kentucky Derby. My wife's family in Louisville went to school at UL. They have season tickets for FB, BB, WBB, VB and baseball. big donors. I freaking love the city as well. Just gorgeous. The country side is amazing. My wife was accepted to grad school there, which would have made me a Card, not a Panther, had she gone there. I got there and got sucked in real quick.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Oh. Guess who's playing QB for Louisville in that picture I took? That was his freshman year. I fell in love and from that day on I dreamed of him being the Vikings QB....and he is. With a good OL in front of him watch him bloom.

Hopefully Norm is smart enough to use him correctly and stop forcing AP down peoples throats 450 times a season.

POD Knows
May 20th, 2016, 10:22 AM
I do. My three schools

UNI - family history as my grandmother graduated from the Iowa State Teachers College. Aunt went to UNI when it first changed to UNI from ISTC...then got kicked out for lighting the presidents lawn on fire. Cousin attended. I attended. Wife has 2 degrees from UNI. Brother in-law has 3.
Louisville - My wife has family just outside of Louisville to the east in one of the smaller towns. We visit every other year or so. Been to a football game there, baseball game, been to a race at Churchill Downs (right across the street from the athletic facilities) but not the Kentucky Derby. My wife's family in Louisville went to school at UL. They have season tickets for FB, BB, WBB, VB and baseball. big donors. I freaking love the city as well. Just gorgeous. The country side is amazing. My wife was accepted to grad school there, which would have made me a Card, not a Panther, had she gone there. I got there and got sucked in real quick.

Your Aunt started the college President's lawn on fire? xbowx

UNIFanSince1983
May 20th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I do. My three schools

Crazy how those things work. I was always a UNI fan being born into it. Never a huge FBS team fan. Was sort of partial to USC, but not die hard like I am for UNI. Never really thought about Nebraska. Didn't have a disdain for them, but was never a fan either. Just agnostic about them. Then my fiance got a job at UNL and I moved here. Went to a game and was instantly hooked. Now they still come in a distant second to UNI, but I would say I do have an attachment to an FBS team now unlike before.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Your Aunt started the college President's lawn on fire? xbowx
Yep....but....you're about to change your xbowx to xnottalkingxxmadxxflamemadxxpissedxxshakingmadx real quick

She is a super left wing liberal - she's actually going to the DNC as Hillary Clinton's South Dakota representative or some **** like that.

*pause to give POD time to calm down a bit*

Anyway....this was 1967 or 68....outside chance at 69.... and protests were rampant about Vietnam. Apparently at one point the protest in Cedar Falls ended up being turned against President James William Maucker as he was seen as a conservative pro war government shill by my aunt and her group of hippie friends. He had been president since 1951 (and retired in 1970). Apparently there was issues over where/when/how they could protest and they lite his lawn on fire...keep in my the UNI president lives on campus in a house just for the president of the university. Meaning, they set university/state property on fire. She was asked not to return to UNI....ever.

BisonTru
May 20th, 2016, 10:37 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/TSpEmC1LUC6xW/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/XrBiWQU23trHy/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/8s1bWO7hckdW/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/gcumBvL2xyPpC/giphy.gif

POD Knows
May 20th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Yep....but....you're about to change your xbowx to xnottalkingxxmadxxflamemadxxpissedxxshakingmadx real quick

She is a super left wing liberal - she's actually going to the DNC as Hillary Clinton's South Dakota representative or some **** like that.

*pause to give POD time to calm down a bit*

Anyway....this was 1967 or 68....outside chance at 69.... and protests were rampant about Vietnam. Apparently at one point the protest in Cedar Falls ended up being turned against President James William Maucker as he was seen as a conservative pro war government shill by my aunt and her group of hippie friends. He had been president since 1951 (and retired in 1970). Apparently there was issues over where/when/how they could protest and they lite his lawn on fire...keep in my the UNI president lives on campus in a house just for the president of the university. Meaning, they set university/state property on fire. She was asked not to return to UNI....ever.

Yea, that sort of dampens my enthusiasm. I thought maybe she did it because she was hammered and liked to party. Being part of a left wing mob is just not the same.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Crazy how those things work. I was always a UNI fan being born into it. Never a huge FBS team fan. Was sort of partial to USC, but not die hard like I am for UNI. Never really thought about Nebraska. Didn't have a disdain for them, but was never a fan either. Just agnostic about them. Then my fiance got a job at UNL and I moved here. Went to a game and was instantly hooked. Now they still come in a distant second to UNI, but I would say I do have an attachment to an FBS team now unlike before.
Yep. Prior to July of 2006 (my first trip) The U of L was essentially non-existent to me in anyway. John L Smith had the FB program built and Bobby Petrino was there. They were usually a 9 or 11 win team, but were CUSA until 05 when they went Big East so they were never on anyone's radar really. I didn't go to a game in 06 but they went to, and dominated the Orange Bowl that year. That got me interested, but the Petrino went on his 5-6 years of infamous issues and Steve Kragthorpe came in 07 and ran that program backwards real quick. Strong came in and got things rolling again. The game I went too, actually Teddy's soph not frosh year, was played in a hurricane and was the year they won the Sugar Bowl.

I'm not a "super fan" by any means, but I follow them pretty closely in FB, BB, and baseball. Thus the Battle for Atlantis loss and the NCAA tournament losses happening the way they did really burned my ass as a UNI fan.

Yote 53
May 20th, 2016, 10:43 AM
This is what kind of manager/boss I am. This is how I rolled into work this morning

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/1ae3a194b0379a84db1d6a2a10e64134.jpg

So I'm guessing there is some bad news to deliver. Cutting back on hours? Benefits? Layoffs about to happen? If your gonna give them the pink slip and the number to the local unemployment office at least you are a good enough guy to do it when they have a full tummy of Casey's gooey goodness.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 10:44 AM
So I'm guessing there is some bad news to deliver. Cutting back on hours? Benefits? Layoffs about to happen? If your gonna give them the pink slip and the number to the local unemployment office at least you are a good enough guy to do it when they have a full tummy of Casey's gooey goodness.
Nah...we take people we are about to fire to Perkins....not a joke. Everyone knows if you're asked to go to Perkins you're SOL.

Just felt like being nice. I didn't pay out of my own pocket, don't kid yourself. That went straight to the company AmExxlolx

Yote 53
May 20th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Clenz and UNIFanSince1983 are both closet Hawkeye fans. They will rant and rave about their hate for Iowa but they are just projecting. Deep down they both have Hawkeye tattoos close to their hearts. They just won't admit it.

It's okay boys, we all know. Just let it out.

Yote 53
May 20th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Nah...we take people we are about to fire to Perkins....not a joke. Everyone knows if you're asked to go to Perkins you're SOL.

Just felt like being nice. I didn't pay out of my own pocket, don't kid yourself. That went straight to the company AmExxlolx

LOL. difficult to make a scene at a public place. Gets them off the property while their desk is being cleaned out. Perfect setup.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Clenz and UNIFanSince1983 are both closet Hawkeye fans. They will rant and rave about their hate for Iowa but they are just projecting. Deep down they both have Hawkeye tattoos close to their hearts. They just won't admit it.

It's okay boys, we all know. Just let it out.
Yep. That's me...big Hawkeye fan.

Excuse me while I go kill myself for even saying something that asinine sarcastically

Yote 53
May 20th, 2016, 10:50 AM
You know I'm just having fun with ya. It's Friday after all.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 10:53 AM
You know I'm just having fun with ya. It's Friday after all.
You're lucky I couldn't find the bleach before you posted that.

Twentysix
May 20th, 2016, 11:03 AM
You're lucky I couldn't find the bleach before you posted that.

Going to dye your hair blond? xsmiley_wix

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Going to dye your hair blond? xsmiley_wix
It already is....mostly.

Outside of hazel instead of blue eyes I'm the poster child for a 100% German ancestry lineage

Twentysix
May 20th, 2016, 11:20 AM
It already is....mostly.

Bleach addiction is a problem clenz. It's not 1990 anymore.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4f/bf/57/4fbf57a447749c1608ca7a11668a1ec8.jpg

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2016, 11:22 AM
It already is....mostly.

Outside of hazel instead of blue eyes I'm the poster child for a 100% German ancestry lineage

http://emmettbutler.com/basic-ios-slides/img/nono.gif

IBleedYellow
May 20th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Ya'll are jerks.

At least your our jerks.

Twentysix
May 20th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Ya'll are jerks.

At least your our jerks.

https://litreactor.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/header/images/column/headers/jerk-shakespeare_0.jpg

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Ya'll are jerks.

At least your our jerks.

*you're

Yote 53
May 20th, 2016, 11:41 AM
So for all the NoDakers in this thread, so I'm watching Lawrence Welk on PBS last week (don't get started, my 2 year old daughter loves the singing and dancing) and they have this young accordion player on from Napoleon, ND by the name of Joey Schmidt. He was 18 at the time of the show which I believe was recorded in 1980. He was one heck of an accordion player. Just wondering if any of you know the guy, you know, since everybody in North Dakota knows each other. Of course South Dakota isn't much different in that way.

Okay, I admit it, I like watching Lawrence Welk too. Who wouldn't? I'm 100% German and have an affinity for listening to polka, and drinking beer, which drinking beer and listening to polka go hand in hand in the fall. Something about the polka increases the beer consumption.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 11:50 AM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/639/Grammar-Nazi-1613.png
*you're

Um...probably not smart of a german to post that reference?

- - - Updated - - -

So for all the NoDakers in this thread, so I'm watching Lawrence Welk on PBS last week (don't get started, my 2 year old daughter loves the singing and dancing) and they have this young accordion player on from Napoleon, ND by the name of Joey Schmidt. He was 18 at the time of the show which I believe was recorded in 1980. He was one heck of an accordion player. Just wondering if any of you know the guy, you know, since everybody in North Dakota knows each other. Of course South Dakota isn't much different in that way.

Okay, I admit it, I like watching Lawrence Welk too. Who wouldn't? I'm 100% German and have an affinity for listening to polka, and drinking beer, which drinking beer and listening to polka go hand in hand in the fall. Something about the polka increases the beer consumption.
Grew up on polka. It's all my grandparents would listen too. My grandpa had 3 different accordions I played around with as a kid.

Yote 53
May 20th, 2016, 11:57 AM
No kidding. Huh, the more you know. My grandparents were the same way, grew up listening to polka on KLEM out of LeMars. My daughter loves polka, she'll bust out smiling and dancing when she hears it. So I'm thinking, musically inclined maybe, look up accordions on Amazon and they are not cheap. There was one on there for $16,000. Not giving that to a 2 year old.

344Johnson
May 20th, 2016, 11:58 AM

I lived in Napoleon for about 5 years when I was a tyke. My friend's older brother was also named Joey Schmidt, he would have been born in about 1988 though. I'm sure if I ask some friends they could give me some background info. Everyone in that part of the state is related. My seed would have been a valuable commodity(unlike corn and soybeans latelyxlolx) had we stuck around just for the sake of genetic diversity.

Yote 53
May 20th, 2016, 12:02 PM
I don't think I need to tell you the Joey Schmidt from Napoleon, ND on TV had blond hair and blue eyes...and he played polka and waltzes on an accordion. Sooooo, probably of German heritage.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 12:21 PM
No kidding. Huh, the more you know. My grandparents were the same way, grew up listening to polka on KLEM out of LeMars. My daughter loves polka, she'll bust out smiling and dancing when she hears it. So I'm thinking, musically inclined maybe, look up accordions on Amazon and they are not cheap. There was one on there for $16,000. Not giving that to a 2 year old.
Us kids weren't allowed to touch the 4th one he had. He kept that locked in his closet. Same goes for one of his harmonicas. He had those laying all over the house. Most weren't real high quality but he had a few that were.

344Johnson
May 20th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I don't think I need to tell you the Joey Schmidt from Napoleon, ND on TV had blond hair and blue eyes...and he played polka and waltzes on an accordion. Sooooo, probably of German heritage.

They are not anymore blonde in that town than anywhere else in ND. I think in my class of 18, maybe 2 or 3 were blonde. Everyone has one of about five German last names in the entire town. Creepy.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 01:10 PM
They are not anymore blonde in that town than anywhere else in ND. I think in my class of 18, maybe 2 or 3 were blonde. Everyone has one of about five German last names in the entire town. Creepy.
eastern Lyon county in Iowa is all some form of Klaassen/Klahsen/Clausen/Klaahson/etc..., Krull, Hassebroek Ackerman, etc...

Sioux County is all Vanden something, Van something, etc...

Lyon county is very German, Sioux County is very dutch....and they hate each other.

Yote 53
May 20th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Sioux County, LOL. I learned a couple of days ago my great, great, great grandfather was one of the original settlers in Sioux County, the German town of Alton, IA which is a few miles from Orange City. Those Dutch came in later and settled in Sioux County. They came out of Pella looking to settle land in Cherokee County but when they arrived they found they didn't have claim, that's why they moved over to Sioux County. So mark up that county as another one in NW Iowa that was opened up and settled by German settlers, it wasn't originally Dutch.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Sioux County, LOL. I learned a couple of days ago my great, great, great grandfather was one of the original settlers in Sioux County, the German town of Alton, IA which is a few miles from Orange City. Those Dutch came in later and settled in Sioux County. They came out of Pella looking to settle land in Cherokee County but when they arrived they found they didn't have claim, that's why they moved over to Sioux County. So mark up that county as another one in NW Iowa that was opened up and settled by German settlers, it wasn't originally Dutch.
They are, just as you described, parasites that overran NW Iowa in overwhelming numbers.

Two kinds of people I can't stand in this world

1. Dutch people
2. Hawkeye fans

You thought I was going with the Austin Powers reference....nope.

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2016, 01:30 PM
They are, just as you described, parasites that overran NW Iowa in overwhelming numbers.

1. Dutch people
2. Hawkeye fans

http://media3.giphy.com/media/b14aWCdtlB8FG/giphy.gif

Kemo
May 20th, 2016, 03:42 PM

1. Dutch people
2. Hawkeye fans

Did you guys have the Dutch vs. Hollander distinction in Lyon county? Union County farmers (mostly German and Norwegian) used this to clarify whether they liked a particular dutch person or not.

If their linage traced back the the Netherlands and they lived in the community and a were decent people, they were Dutch; if they were uppity pricks that tried to just buy South Dakota land while exporting the profit back to Iowa (or wanted to build a hog confinement on the west side of the Big Sioux), they were a Hollander.

There were significantly more Hollanders than Dutch in the minds of the farmers of Union County.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Did you guys have the Dutch vs. Hollander distinction in Lyon county? Union County farmers (mostly German and Norwegian) used this to clarify whether they liked a particular dutch person or not.

If their linage traced back the the Netherlands and they lived in the community and a were decent people, they were Dutch; if they were uppity pricks that tried to just buy South Dakota land while exporting the profit back to Iowa (or wanted to build a hog confinement on the west side of the Big Sioux), they were a Hollander.

There were significantly more Hollanders than Dutch in the minds of the farmers of Union County.
Nope. If you were dutch you were dutch.

Also, Union county? Were you a Westerner?

Kemo
May 20th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Nope. If you were dutch you were dutch.

Also, Union county? Were you a Westerner?

As in Akron-Westfield? No, but my church was really close to Akron so I know some families there.

I was a Cub (Alcester-Hudson), on the South Dakota side.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 04:13 PM
As in Akron-Westfield? No, but my church was really close to Akron so I know some families there.

I was a Cub (Alcester-Hudson), on the South Dakota side.
Ah. I had family (uncle/aunt and 4 cousins) that taught/went to A-W. Lived outside of Akron, I think their house was technically in South Dakota actually.

About had a "real small world" moment I think. Not like the Akron, Alcester, Hudson, Westfield, etc... area is real populated.

Kemo
May 20th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Ah. I had family (uncle/aunt and 4 cousins) that taught/went to A-W. Lived outside of Akron, I think their house was technically in South Dakota actually.

About had a "real small world" moment I think. Not like the Akron, Alcester, Hudson, Westfield, etc... area is real populated.

Funny you mention being a part of the Akron-Westfield school district while living in SD, because that leads to some interesting situations.

I have a cousin who lived on the SD side, but went to A-W for school, but couldn't get instate tuition from an Iowa college (not sure if she wanted to or not) because she was a SD resident.

I had a friend who went to A-H for school and lived on SD side, but because he was so close to Akron, he had an Akron, IA address, so he was initially charged "out of state" tuition at SDSU until he had to go in and explain it to them.

I also had family who lived a mile or so away from Hudson, SD, but their kids couldn't attend Hudson Elementary (which was still open at the time) because they were on the Iowa side and Iowa wouldn't let students cross the border regardless of how close they were to an SD town.

Fun times.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 06:04 PM
My family had an IA address as well but SD drivers license and all that. 3 of the kids in that family were boys, their dad was the music teacher, so they had heir own band called Leaving Union County. One is till in he music scene in San Diego. The other two aren't.

We had that with our school district and Minnesota. A few of our store at had Minneosta everything but we're in our district.

dbackjon
May 20th, 2016, 06:24 PM
eastern Lyon county in Iowa is all some form of Klaassen/Klahsen/Clausen/Klaahson/etc..., Krull, Hassebroek Ackerman, etc...

Sioux County is all Vanden something, Van something, etc...

Lyon county is very German, Sioux County is very dutch....and they hate each other.

Did Lyon county ever try to invade Fightin' Hawk County?

uni88
May 20th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Did Lyon county ever try to invade Fightin' Hawk County?
A couple of times but they blitzed right through Fightin' Hawk County on their way to conquer the French settlers in Plymouth County. ;)

JayJ79
May 21st, 2016, 01:33 AM

One of my college classmates hosts a Polka show on some cable network (RFD).

Twentysix
May 21st, 2016, 02:21 AM
This thread is so weird right now.

BisonFan02
May 21st, 2016, 07:27 AM

Its like a PL thread but a bit more "folksy"....maybe this was what the eastern schools feared. xlolx

underdawg
May 21st, 2016, 01:24 PM
http://profootballspot.com/nfl-draft/article/records/inside-the-war-room-quarterback-edition-r112/

Here is a review (under "Sleeper of The Week" section) of new SIU-C Saluki QB Josh Straughan 6-3, 205)

Bisonoline
May 21st, 2016, 05:10 PM
Its like a PL thread but a bit more "folksy"....maybe this was what the eastern schools feared. xlolx

I have a thread? Alright! Wheres my parade?

344Johnson
May 21st, 2016, 05:21 PM

Actually just saw on my Facebook today that three Joey Schmidt referenced here had a daughter pass away in the last couple days. Thought that was kinda odd considering the reference on a college football message board.

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 08:17 AM
I can't count how many times I listened to this cassette/record growing up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4zec7NQI0

POD Knows
May 23rd, 2016, 09:44 AM
I can't count how many times I listened to this cassette/record growing up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4zec7NQI0

Polka<Beatles<Virtually all other music

thebootfitter
May 23rd, 2016, 05:00 PM
I'll admit I like it better than the typical bickering of MVFC vs non-MVFC folks and CAA fans reminiscing about when the CAA was top dog.

POD Knows
May 23rd, 2016, 10:01 PM
I'll admit I like it better than the typical bickering of MVFC vs non-MVFC folks and CAA fans reminiscing about when the CAA was top dog.

Pussy

thebootfitter
May 23rd, 2016, 10:24 PM

Pussy

Why's that? There's no point in bickering about it when it's clear that the MVFC is top dog. The CAA and other conference followers may as well shut up and take it. When/if they ever get back to the top again, they can make their case. :p

IBleedYellow
May 24th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Football talk:

ALL LEAGUE GAMES WILL HAVE VIDEO REVIEWS THIS YEAR - FINALLY!!!

ESPN3 for all the games. Excellent!

UNIFanSince1983
May 24th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Football talk:

ALL LEAGUE GAMES WILL HAVE VIDEO REVIEWS THIS YEAR - FINALLY!!!

ESPN3 for all the games. Excellent!

ESPN3 for all the games excites me very much. Need to get my MVFC fix here in Lincoln!

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/68517453.jpg

clenz
May 24th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Nice to see the rest of the league catch up to UNI and NDSU circa 2010

IBleedYellow
May 24th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Nice to see the rest of the league catch up to UNI and NDSU circa 2010

Frustrating - last year SDSU decided that they didn't want to use instant replay - even though they had previously in the season.

Was a very "WTF" moment - until I realized that the last playoff game we had between each other NDSU got a phantom tipped ball pass overturned which then brought PI into the equation.

mmiller_34
May 24th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Frustrating - last year SDSU decided that they didn't want to use instant replay - even though they had previously in the season.

Was a very "WTF" moment - until I realized that the last playoff game we had between each other NDSU got a phantom tipped ball pass overturned which then brought PI into the equation.

Only in the playoff games. We never had it during the regular season in the past. But, I tend to agree with you, frustrating -- not sure what took so long.

Twentysix
May 24th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Only in the playoff games. We never had it during the regular season in the past.

How does SDSU cut professors, cut programs, can't afford instant replay, and builds a new stadium? xconfusedx

*programs not departments. *nope wait it was departments

President David Chicoine, in a message to university employees, said the reduction in state appropriations will have a noticeable impact on the university, including layoffs, department closures, reorganization, elimination of academic programs, and the continuous quest to drive down costs.

https://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles/budget2011.cfm

I mean, great job on the new stadium... but xconfusedx

Thumper 76
May 24th, 2016, 11:26 PM

Was this not gone over 500 million times last season as to why?

Thumper 76
May 24th, 2016, 11:29 PM
How does SDSU cut professors, cut programs, can't afford instant replay, and builds a new stadium? xconfusedx

*programs not departments. *nope wait it was departments

https://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles/budget2011.cfm

I mean, great job on the new stadium... but xconfusedx

The stadium is being funded differently, not taking money from other departments. Actually I think it's not using any state money I believe. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Also that's a real old article, like older than the stadium being approved by a couple years.

Twentysix
May 25th, 2016, 01:00 AM
The stadium is being funded differently, not taking money from other departments. Actually I think it's not using any state money I believe. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Also that's a real old article, like older than the stadium being approved by a couple years.

Have the cut departments/programs/positions been reinstated? If yes, then I agree it is old. If no, then it is not old imo.

Also very cool that it was totally funded from non-state money.

BigGoosie13
May 25th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Have the cut departments/programs/positions been reinstated? If yes, then I agree it is old. If no, then it is not old imo.

Almost every university has undergone reorganization or fat trimming at some point, and from what I remember, the restructuring didn't really cause much animosity from what I remember (I was a student then whose program and dept were unaffected so I didn't pay attention or care truthfully). Just to give a quick rundown from the link submitted from the top of my head...

The Physics M.S. program was eliminated due to having almost no students in it.

Engineering Physics (B.S.) was considered redundant with all the overlap it caused between the Engineering majors and Physics majors and the lack of actual students in the program itself. The department was moved from the college of Engineering to Arts & Science.

Career and Technical Education (B.S.ed) I literally never knew this existed.

MET (B.S.) still exist, they now call it Operations Management (B.S.).

EET (B.S.) is alive, kicking, and stronger than it's ever been. Do to popularity, SDSU has formed a relationship with LATI that makes LATI's EST program a direct feeder into SDSU's EET program.

Software Engineering (B.S.) is no longer a stand alone degree, it is now part of the CS program as a specialization.

For departments, The Horticulture, Forestry, Landscape and Parks was eliminated, but not really. Horticulture became part of the Plant Science Department and the rest became the Natural Resource Management Department. AgBio Communications was very redundant with the other AG dept's and programs, I don't really remember any hoopla about this going away.

KUlawJack
May 25th, 2016, 11:16 AM

At the time of that article, five years ago, the governor's budget proposal was to lop of 10% funding across the board statewide for everything in order to balance the budget. Not just at SDSU. He did that, everyone felt the pain, but the state has since built money back into the budget for the previous cuts. That doesn't mean our state funds the state institutions as it should, because they don't.

As BigGoosie explained, SDSU took a reorganization approach and used a scalpel, not an ax, to trim and reorganize. President Chicoine did an admirable job with the budget constraints placed on SDSU by the governor and legislature.

clenz
May 26th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Haven't seen this posted but could have an impact on playoff races

Indiana State QB Matt Adam will sit this year out to focus on improving his grades.

Last season, as a sophomore, Adam was 178-316 (56.3%) for 2,098 yards 20 (191 ypg) 19TD and 10 INT.
He had 494 yards rushing on 127 attemps (3.9 ypc) and 6 TD. He was the second leading rusher for them and had the most carries.

No other QB attempted more than 13 passes - Zach Kline 6-13 for 17 yards 0 TD 0 INT in 3 games.

Professor Chaos
May 26th, 2016, 10:43 AM

Indiana State QB Matt Adam will sit this year out to focus on improving his grades.

Last season, as a sophomore, Adam was 178-316 (56.3%) for 2,098 yards 20 (191 ypg) 19TD and 10 INT.
He had 494 yards rushing on 127 attemps (3.9 ypc) and 6 TD. He was the second leading rusher for them and had the most carries.

No other QB attempted more than 13 passes - Zach Kline 6-13 for 17 yards 0 TD 0 INT in 3 games.
They did just get a transfer from Wyoming in QB Aaron Young: https://twitter.com/aaron_e1294/status/735312527978987520

According to his bio (http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aaron_young_888659.html) (which doesn't have any 2015 updates) he played JUCO in NY before spending the last two years in Laramie. It doesn't look like he attempted a pass last year so hopefully he isn't who they're banking on completely to replace Adam in Terre Haute.

F'N Hawks
May 26th, 2016, 10:57 AM
They did just get a transfer from Wyoming in QB Aaron Young: https://twitter.com/aaron_e1294/status/735312527978987520

According to his bio (http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aaron_young_888659.html) (which doesn't have any 2015 updates) he played JUCO in NY before spending the last two years in Laramie. It doesn't look like he attempted a pass last year so hopefully he isn't who they're banking on completely to replace Adam in Terre Haute.

After seeing the two guys play in who were in front of him for Wyoming, I wouldn't be too upbeat about Young being "the guy", either.

Sycamore62
May 27th, 2016, 08:34 AM

Ive heard that the backup from last year that will be the starter on paper to start camp is pretty comparable with maybe better potential. They also got a QB recruit they were pretty proud of but I never take those seriously till they do something.

underdawg
May 30th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Coach Hill of SIU Salukis just signed 6-5 240 pound three star DE Anthony Knighton of Fort Pierce Central--second team Florida 8A All-state team and also on basketball All-state team. Had 111 tackles, 23 TFL and 9 sacks in 2015--offered by Kentucky and Cincinnati. Must have been recruited over

www.hudl.com/athlete/3356219/highlights/227970378 (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3356219/highlights/227970378)

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2016, 09:12 AM
You did not seriously place an advertisement on this board did you? Jeez, where are the site monitors. Kind of makes you lose credibility for anything you say does it not?
I do believe that it was used because it's a running joke on the board among the MVFC posters.

I-AA Fan
June 5th, 2016, 09:14 AM
I do believe that it was used because it's a running joke on the board among the MVFC posters.

Ah thanks ...I am the fool. My apologies to all. I will try to remove the post

IBleedYellow
June 6th, 2016, 10:14 AM
Was it a Casey's Pizza post?

I'm sure it was a Casey's pizza post.

JSUSoutherner
June 6th, 2016, 10:29 AM

Yeah. It was about the first post. :D

I'll be in Missouri next week so I'll have to stop by Casey's and pick up some pizza. xnodx

clenz
June 6th, 2016, 10:36 AM

I could really go for one of these right now

http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/LyFK0IWIlE-9B2of7G25NQ/348s.jpg

Also, pretty ROLF someone thought it was a real/paid advert. We are getting pretty convincing with our Casey's talk. I know someone that works for Casey's marketing. I'll have to pass a note on to see if we can set something up.

POD Knows
June 6th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Yeah. It was about the first post. :D

I'll be in Missouri next week so I'll have to stop by Casey's and pick up some pizza. xnodx

Don't believe the hype.

IBleedYellow
June 6th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Don't believe the hype.

Shadddup you old grump.

JSUSoutherner
June 6th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Don't believe the hype.
We shall see. I've never actually had Casey's pizza even though there's one about 10 miles from my grandparents house and we go there every year.

You could say I'm going to get some pizza just to see what all the fuss is about.

IBleedYellow
June 6th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Get the breakfast pizza. Ask for less bacon if you make it to order.

JSUSoutherner
June 6th, 2016, 10:52 AM
We will have to see how it stacks up to QT's breakfast pizza. :D

IBleedYellow
June 6th, 2016, 10:54 AM
We will have to see how it stacks up to QT's breakfast pizza. :D

Casey's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anything else

BisonTru
June 6th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Ask for less bacon if you make it to order.

http://swansonquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/s07-ep02-condolences2-1000x500.jpg

IBleedYellow
June 6th, 2016, 10:56 AM
http://swansonquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/s07-ep02-condolences2-1000x500.jpg

I have disappointed the Swanson. I am sad.

clenz
June 6th, 2016, 11:05 AM
I have disappointed the Swanson. I am sad.
DGAF.

75% of the amount they normally use is perfect

Bisonator
June 6th, 2016, 11:07 AM

Also, pretty ROLF someone thought it was a real/paid advert. We are getting pretty convincing with our Casey's talk. I know someone that works for Casey's marketing. I'll have to pass a note on to see if we can set something up.

That's it! That's what I'm having for dinner in 30 minutes! :D

clenz
June 6th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Supes jelly

IBleedYellow
June 6th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I have a Casey's 3 minutes from my house.

I should eat there more often.

clenz
June 6th, 2016, 11:20 AM
The blue dot is where I work, roughly. Here's the Caseys around me. That's all within about 7 miles.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160606/109f6ff831ad177e503170b527526dc5.jpg

There are 24 of them within 21 miles of where I work. All of which are less than 20 minutes by car.

BisonTru
June 6th, 2016, 11:32 AM
DGAF.

75% of the amount they normally use is perfect

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UHMZ7XYg-IA/UGULWtYxKYI/AAAAAAAAEVk/CEZoCcUZ8R8/s1600/ron+swanson+2.png

JSUSoutherner
June 6th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Supes jelly
I'm going to try to ignore the fact you just said "Supes jelly".............

Thumper 76
June 6th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Supes jelly

Phrasing, Jesus. Mental image I can never erase.

Thumper 76
June 6th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Don't believe the hype.

You, sir, can shut your whore mouth xlolx

clenz
June 6th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Phrasing, Jesus. Mental image I can never erase.

I didn't say Supe's Jelly....

Although

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5QNiCiBKxyo/maxresdefault.jpg

JSUSoutherner
June 6th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I didn't say Supe's Jelly....

Although

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5QNiCiBKxyo/maxresdefault.jpg
WHAT THE ****!

WTFCollegefootballfan
June 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Casey's pizza is great.

clenz
June 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM
WHAT THE ****!
Yeah...don't google what I did to find that.

Also, I probably shouldn't have done it at work

WTFCollegefootballfan
June 6th, 2016, 12:11 PM

More bacon.

Thumper 76
June 6th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Yeah...don't google what I did to find that.

Also, I probably shouldn't have done it at work

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Now introducing the Caseys General Stores lineup of Supe's Jelly! Great for bagels and.....other stuff.

Thumper 76
June 6th, 2016, 12:33 PM
More bacon.

This is what you would get if you got extra bacon on a Caseys breakfast pizza.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160606/f5f4870891499b03d0422a4b9a678b2c.jpg

BisonTru
June 6th, 2016, 12:56 PM
This is what you would get if you got extra bacon on a Caseys breakfast pizza.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160606/f5f4870891499b03d0422a4b9a678b2c.jpg

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduEHWLW6UiPA1Ww/giphy.gif

Professor Chaos
June 6th, 2016, 02:57 PM

I wasn't a fan of Casey's taco pizza when I ordered it from the one on south 45th in Fargo. They hardly had any chips/tomatoes/lettuce on there and what little they had was heaped in the middle of it. If you want taco pizza this is the place you need to go: http://www.happyjoes.com/index.php

http://andreaonvacation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/HappyJoesTacoPizza.jpg

POD Knows
June 6th, 2016, 03:59 PM
I wasn't a fan of Casey's taco pizza when I ordered it from the one on south 45th in Fargo. They hardly had any chips/tomatoes/lettuce on there and what little they had was heaped in the middle of it. If you want taco pizza this is the place you need to go: http://www.happyjoes.com/index.php

Yep, Happy Joe's Taco Pizza is head and shoulders above Casey's and it is not even close.

Hammersmith
June 6th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Casey's finally under construction in my town. Finally will be one good choice for local pizza. Been having to go 60mi for Casey's and 25mi for Papa Murphy's. Only decent choices nearby.

344Johnson
June 7th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Casey's finally under construction in my town. Finally will be one good choice for local pizza. Been having to go 60mi for Casey's and 25mi for Papa Murphy's. Only decent choices nearby.

I thought you were a Fargoan. Have you always been in Wahp?

Twentysix
June 7th, 2016, 12:40 PM

Omg Happy Joe's Taco Pizza is so good. Too bad the only place to get good Happy Joe's is in Dickinson. The one in Fargo sucks by comparison.

POD Knows
June 7th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Omg Happy Joe's Taco Pizza is so good. Too bad the only place to get good Happy Joe's is in Dickinson. The one in Fargo sucks by comparison.

The Happy Joes in Crookston, MN is pretty decent

F'N Hawks
June 7th, 2016, 02:23 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4049449-kolpack-missouri-valley-football-conference-not-interested-being-wichita-states#.V1cUFhvN2YV.twitter

"The Mo Valley Football and the Mo Valley are in essence one in the same".

Clenz, your thoughts?

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 02:32 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4049449-kolpack-missouri-valley-football-conference-not-interested-being-wichita-states#.V1cUFhvN2YV.twitter

Clenz, your thoughts?
Complete hogwash.

Biggest mistake the conference has made is changing the name from Gateway

goyotes
June 7th, 2016, 02:37 PM
FWIW, there are several Casey's in Wichita

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Might as well call the Pioneer "essentially one in the same"

F'N Hawks
June 7th, 2016, 02:40 PM

:D xlolx

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 02:42 PM

Yet they legitimately believe there is a Caseys conspiracy against them in winning the conference basketball tournament.

Caseys is a title MVC sponsor and they apparently hate WSU and want to push as many mom WSU teams through as possible.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Might as well call the Pioneer "essentially one in the same"

To members of the MVC it is. :D

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 02:54 PM
To members of the MVC it is. :D
Nope

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Nope

yep

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 03:00 PM
All sports MVC with non-scholly football...adds schools like Valpo, Dayton, and Butler for all sports (Drake already there). The rest unchanged sans a Wichita State exit. Would they do it at the expense of the MVFC? :D

UNIFanSince1983
June 7th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Honestly aside from that one line the whole article does make sense. WSU joining the MVFC and using it to try and get all sports into the MWC is not good for either the MVFC or the MVC. So not letting them into the MVFC for what would in essence probably be 2 years max makes sense to me. Not to say we should try and hold them back, but we definitely shouldn't be helping the current flagship MVC program exit the MVC.

F'N Hawks
June 7th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Honestly aside from that one line the whole article does make sense. WSU joining the MVFC and using it to try and get all sports into the MWC is not good for either the MVFC or the MVC. So not letting them into the MVFC for what would in essence probably be 2 years max makes sense to me. Not to say we should try and hold them back, but we definitely shouldn't be helping the current flagship MVC program exit the MVC.

Have they ever asked to join for football?

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Have they ever asked to join for football?
No.

Up until 5 months ago WSU was vehemently anti-football

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 03:31 PM
All sports MVC with non-scholly football...adds schools like Valpo, Dayton, and Butler for all sports (Drake already there). The rest unchanged sans a Wichita State exit. Would they do it at the expense of the MVFC? :D
MVC doesn't sponsor football.

It used too - but stopped in 1985. It was an FBS conference.

The Gateway/MVFC existed at the same time as the MVC, and actually played 10 games against each other.

It's not "essentially the same thing".

It's a league all it's own. No other sports are sponsored. No other sports will ever be sponsored.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 03:37 PM
MVC doesn't sponsor football.

It used too - but stopped in 1985. It was an FBS conference.

The Gateway/MVFC existed at the same time as the MVC, and actually played 10 games against each other.

It's not "essentially the same thing".

It's a league all it's own. No other sports are sponsored. No other sports will ever be sponsored.

Stop living in the past and look towards the future clenzy....I can already see the private MVC schools collectively flicking their beans to add Dayton, Valpo, and Butler. :D

F'N Hawks
June 7th, 2016, 03:37 PM
No.

Up until 5 months ago WSU was vehemently anti-football

Then, what was the point of the article?

IBleedYellow
June 7th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Clenz,

Calm. BF02 is pushing your buttons.

WSU has talked about bringing it back as of 5 months ago.

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Stop living in the past and look towards to future clenzy....I can already see the private MVC schools collectively flicking their beans to add Dayton, Valpo, and Butler. :D
You give me Dayton, Valpo and Bulter in the MVC I'll take it every single day and 18 times on Sunday.

A MVC featuring:
Bradley
Butler
Dayton
Drake
Evansville
Illinois State
Indiana State
Loyola
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Valpo
Wichita State

and IDGAFFIH if those schools want to play non-scholarship football and call it the "we hate football league". That's a basketball league with 6 top 100 RPI programs and 8 in the top 150. That's a 13 team league so we can even add one more for ****s and grins...a league that looks like that probably attracts St Louis away from the A10.

You're ****ing high as balls, and over half *insert offensive word here* if you wouldn't take those three programs.

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Their new president sees the fact the MVC has turned it's back on everything that made it a great conference and realizes the only way out is adding football.

The MVFC isn't interested in being anyone's stepping stone.

His comment of "one in the same" may hold weight ONLY TO THE EXTENT that the 5 MVC programs in the MVFC wouldn't allow WSU in for 2 to 3 years knowing the only reason they were there is to ditch both conference. Beyond that that is a silly comment to put out there.

F'N Hawks
June 7th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Their new president sees the fact the MVC has turned it's back on everything that made it a great conference and realizes the only way out is adding football.

The MVFC isn't interested in being anyone's stepping stone.

His comment of "one in the same" may hold weight ONLY TO THE EXTENT that the 5 MVC programs in the MVFC wouldn't allow WSU in for 2 to 3 years knowing the only reason they were there is to ditch both conference. Beyond that that is a silly comment to put out there.

Gotcha. Sounded like Wichita never expressed interest in going FCS/MVFC in the first place, hence, I was wondering what the point was.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 04:05 PM
You give me Dayton, Valpo and Bulter in the MVC I'll take it every single day and 18 times on Sunday.

A MVC featuring:
Bradley
Butler
Dayton
Drake
Evansville
Illinois State
Indiana State
Loyola
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Valpo
Wichita State

and IDGAFFIH if those schools want to play non-scholarship football and call it the "we hate football league". That's a basketball league with 6 top 100 RPI programs and 8 in the top 150. That's a 13 team league so we can even add one more for ****s and grins...a league that looks like that probably attracts St Louis away from the A10.

You're ****ing high as balls, and over half *insert offensive word here* if you wouldn't take those three programs.

and the bold is your 9 team non-scholly MVC football...add Wichita to make it 10 if ya want. The MVFC goes "bye bye". Would you do it? :D

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 04:06 PM
and the bold is your 9 team non-scholly MVC football...add Wichita to make it 10 if ya want. The MVFC goes "bye bye". Would you do it? :D
MVC isn't sponsoring football so it's moot.

If the MVC wasn't dog **** when it came to pursuing schools they would have made the move on those schools in 2011

UNIFanSince1983
June 7th, 2016, 04:07 PM

It is tempting actually. With non-scholly football we can devote more money to the basketball program, and in a league like that might really be able to make some waves nationally.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 04:09 PM
MVC isn't sponsoring football so it's moot.

If the MVC wasn't dog **** when it came to pursuing schools they would have made the move on those schools in 2011

****ing **** clenzy...we are talking hypothetical here. Would you be in favor of that set up at the expense of scholarship football at UNI and other current MVC/MVFC member schools?

- - - Updated - - -

It is tempting actually. With non-scholly football we can devote more money to the basketball program, and in a league like that might really be able to make some waves nationally.

Someone gets where I'm trying to go.... xlolx

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 04:14 PM
In your hypothetical how are donations to UNI affected?
How far does UNI fall in competitive level?

IBleedYellow
June 7th, 2016, 04:17 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/HRNqHqiwbfrIQ/200_s.gif

I even warned Clenz.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 04:21 PM
In your hypothetical how are donations to UNI affected?
How far does UNI fall in competitive level?

You tell me. If you told some UNI donors that more could be spent on bball and build the above conference, would they even blink?

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 04:21 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/HRNqHqiwbfrIQ/200_s.gif

I even warned Clenz.
Oh, I'm fully aware of where he was going from the start.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Oh, I'm fully aware of where he was going from the start.

do ya?

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 04:32 PM
You tell me. If you told some UNI donors that more could be spent on bball and build the above conference, would they even blink?
Some? The basketball donors? Not at all.
The "football donors"? Absolutely.

If we are combining a hypothetical with "reality" of the feasability study from 2010 which looked at FBS, FCS, FCS non-scholarship, D2, D3 and dropping football found

The financial projections for this option lead to the following conclusions:
*The percentage amount of institutional subsidy (the combination of GEF Support andthe Student Athletic Fee) will grow from approximately 50.5% of the athletics budgetin FY 2010 to approximately 64% in FY 2015.
*The current institutional subsidy of$5,841,818 will grow to $7,401,374 from FY 2010 through FY 2015.
*The ability of the UNI Department of Athletics to generate approximately half of itsbudget from external sources in FY 2010 will decrease to 37% by FY 2015.
*The total athletics budget will only grow to $11,605,523 in FY 2015, rather than$13,803,697 under the current FCS scholarship option, but the institutional subsidywill grow.
*The expense savings realized by playing non-scholarship football will not offset theloss in external revenue sources, which will result in a net institutional subsidyincrease of $431,799 in FY 2015 when compared against the FCS scholarship option.

Although FCS non-scholarship football is an economically comparable alternative it willactually increase the institutional subsidy. The continuation of the football program,although in a non-scholarship format, would allow the institution to continue utilizing itsexcellent football facility, while reducing the size of the overall athletic budget.This move, however, is not without other problems as well.

By moving to this level gameguarantee revenue would drop significantly. Ticket sales and fan interest wouldsignificantly decline. Sponsorship revenue would significantly decline because it islargely driven by FCS scholarship football and its historical competitive successnationally. As a large state institution, UNI may find it difficult to locate an appropriatefootball conference at this level. With relatively low discretionary financial aidavailability, UNI may struggle to compete on the field with schools that have largeendowments and more institutional financial aid.

Now, obviously old numbers as UNI's budget right now is about 20 million. What it found is that it actually would cost UNI significant money and donors to make a move like this.

In that situation? No. The "money being dumped into basketball" is largely a myth at that point. The number of donors that wouldn't give to UNI if they dumped that the level of football that has been played for 3 decades would be significant.

IOW, your hypothetical is just that.

It could be argued that becoming what WSU has been, Butler, Gonzaga, etc... would make up for lost football donations but that's a huge risk. It's possible for that to happen at UNI, but not Indiana State, Missouri State, etc... wouldn't make up that potential difference. Then again, they don't have the donation level that UNI has.

Essentially I'll lay this parameter out there, since we are talking hypothetical

1. The new conference is a top 6 or 7 RPI conference every single year
2. Programs like Indiana State, MSU, Evansville, etc... double their basketball spending
3. UNI becomes a yearly S16 or E8 program
4. There is no drop in donations

Those are the minimum criteria, but if those are met then it's something I'd consider supporting. The reality is UNI has been D1 FCS football for 35ish years now. People who grew up as kids watching UNI as a D1 program now have kids that are old enough to understand what UNI football is. You can't just "take that away" not have in increase in donations because "The basketball conference is better"

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 04:38 PM
I'll go one step further - allow that new conference to give as many scholarships as they want or none at all. Their call. If Butler wants to give 12 scholarships, then so be it. If they want zero, then great.

At that point, with those other four criteria, F the MVFC as it stands. Enjoy your mythical Summit League football. Enjoy a conference of NDSU, SDSU, WIU, USD, UND, UNC, SUU, and whatever other slap dick team you find to fill out the bottom.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 04:50 PM
I'll go one step further - allow that new conference to give as many scholarships as they want or none at all. Their call. If Butler wants to give 12 scholarships, then so be it. If they want zero, then great.

At that point, with those other four criteria, F the MVFC as it stands. Enjoy your mythical Summit League football. Enjoy a conference of NDSU, SDSU, WIU, USD, UND, UNC, SUU, and whatever other slap dick team you find to fill out the bottom.

As a FCS football conference, it would be immediately better if built right. The only real consistent loss is UNI. xthumbsupx

Hammersmith
June 7th, 2016, 10:18 PM
I thought you were a Fargoan. Have you always been in Wahp?

Been in Wahp about 9 months. Forgot to change my AGS location info until I made that post.

Thumper 76
June 8th, 2016, 12:16 PM

So you honestly think as a football conference that having half the conference be non scholly and having Misery State and the trees would be a better FCS conference than the Dakota schools, UNC, WIU, SUU, and some other scholarship school? All those teams are better than the ex pioneer teams except MAYBE UNC, and I would put the line up of the Dakota schools and WIU/SUU against UNI, SIU, ISUR and Misery State any day of the week. xlolx Come'on man

clenz
June 8th, 2016, 12:31 PM
So you honestly think as a football conference that having half the conference be non scholly and having Misery State and the trees would be a better FCS conference than the Dakota schools, UNC, WIU, SUU, and some other scholarship school? All those teams are better than the ex pioneer teams except MAYBE UNC, and I would put the line up of the Dakota schools and WIU/SUU against UNI, SIU, ISUR and Misery State any day of the week. xlolx Come'on man

Is that what I said

Thumper 76
June 8th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Is that what I said

Definitely had the tone that it would a joke of a conference.

BisonFan02
June 8th, 2016, 12:53 PM

I don't know about you Thumper, but I would really enjoy an all sports conference Summit League with the Dakota schools out of the MVFC and new additions....far from a joke with more crossover opportunity in conference with NDSU's football schedule versus today. The MVFC needs us more than we need them..... xthumbsupx

clenz
June 8th, 2016, 12:56 PM

I wouldn't give a **** what the new MVC conference performed like at the FCS level compared to the Summit. If you think replacing UNI and Illinois State with Northern Colorado and North Dakota is a fair trade then so be it.

You give me an all sports conference with that line up and I'll take it over the current UNI set up every day.

Thumper 76
June 8th, 2016, 01:01 PM
I don't know about you Thumper, but I would really enjoy an all sports conference Summit League with the Dakota schools out of the MVFC and new additions....far from a joke with more crossover opportunity in conference with NDSU's football schedule versus today. The MVFC needs us more than we need them..... xthumbsupx

I would love that conference as well. Wet dream scenario NMSU can't find a home in FBS, drops down and gets snagged by the Summit along with one more team. That would be a good lookin league.

BisonFan02
June 8th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't give a **** what the new MVC conference performed like at the FCS level compared to the Summit. If you think replacing UNI and Illinois State with Northern Colorado and North Dakota is a fair trade then so be it.

You give me an all sports conference with that line up and I'll take it over the current UNI set up every day.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgzvj14WCv1qdi85k.gif

The Summit vs. MVC football challenge would be a bloodbath. xthumbsupx UND, as much as I hate it, will continually improve and be a regular in the postseason. The 4 Dakota schools are flagships and land grants. Build it with a combination of 5 more schools like WIU, SUU, UNC, etc. in an all sports set up is a much more appealing arrangement. It also looks like all parties involved benefit along with the MVC. Lets make it happen!

BisonFan02
June 8th, 2016, 01:16 PM
The Summit League football schools could almost set up a bunch of H/H agreements with MVC schools instead of the Big Sky. It would have no bearing on the non-football sports and it would look alot like today....unless they duck us in football then too. :D

Bisonator
June 8th, 2016, 01:22 PM
**** it we'll just form our own FBS all sports conference if we're going all siouxvolley here.xlolx

NCC part deux or maybe The Great West Conference part deux:

East/South: UNI, SIU, ISUr, ISUb, WIU, Wichita State, NMSU
West/North: UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, MSU, UM, ID

BisonFan02
June 8th, 2016, 01:24 PM
**** it we'll just form our own FBS all sports conference if we're going all siouxvolley here.xlolx

NCC part deux or maybe The WAC part deux:

East/South: UNI, SIU, ISUr, ISUb, WIU, Wichita State, NMSU
West/North: UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, MSU, UM, ID

FIFY xlolx

Thumper 76
June 8th, 2016, 01:31 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgzvj14WCv1qdi85k.gif

The Summit vs. MVC football challenge would be a bloodbath. xthumbsupx UND, as much as I hate it, will continually improve and be a regular in the postseason. The 4 Dakota schools are flagships and land grants. Build it with a combination of 5 more schools like WIU, SUU, UNC, etc. in an all sports set up is a much more appealing arrangement. It also looks like all parties involved benefit along with the MVC. Lets make it happen!

Honestly though, why not? Sure seems like it would work for everyone, not that the current set up is bad.

clenz
June 8th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Honestly though, why not? Sure seems like it would work for everyone, not that the current set up is bad.

Butler, Drake, and Valpo won't leave the PFL.

The second bolded part is where it appears most NDSU fans disagree....at least on here.

BisonFan02
June 8th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Butler, Drake, and Valpo won't leave the PFL.

The second bolded part is where it appears most NDSU fans disagree....at least on here.

I'm not saying its bad....it just could be better....especially in non-football sports. Wanna help get Bison fans excited? Have more football cross rivals in men's bball. I like the NDSU/UNI football games for example....but none of it carries over to anything else. NDSU/SDSU fans get to badger each other all year. xthumbsupx

goyotes
June 8th, 2016, 05:10 PM
All these comments make me wonder what the conference landscape in the FCS / midmajor world would look like today had NDSU and SDSU not joined the MVFC.

The Yo Show
June 8th, 2016, 07:50 PM

Clenz, your thoughts?

Quote of the article is actually, "It's as if the Missouri Valley Football Conference office could be located in downtown Youngstown, not on Chouteau Avenue." I just dont get that statement either in the context provided.

Hammersmith
June 8th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Quote of the article is actually, "It's as if the Missouri Valley Football Conference office could be located in downtown Youngstown, not on Chouteau Avenue." I just dont get that statement either in the context provided.

If WSU would be added to the MVFC, they would become the westernmost member. YSU is the easternmost. Fargo is actually closer to Youngstown than Wichita is(although the difference is only about 10mi). With that in mind, you would expect the YSU to be not very thrilled over the possibility of WSU joining the league. Kolpack's quote means that the MVFC office is about as interested in that possibility as YSU would be.

The Yo Show
June 8th, 2016, 11:52 PM
Ah. Thank you for clearing that up. For some reason, that conclusion was not being formed in my mind when I was thinking about it. I

Yote 53
June 9th, 2016, 01:24 PM
All these comments make me wonder what the conference landscape in the FCS / midmajor world would look like today had NDSU and SDSU not joined the MVFC.

The Dakota 4 schools would all be in the Big Sky. The BSC would be rated as the number 1 FCS conference and the MVFC would be somewhere around 4 or 5. Some current BSC members probably wouldn't have gotten invites, possibly, or the conference would have reached superconference XXL proportions. Almost half the FCS playoff field would be BSC teams with 8-10 berths/year.

jacksfan29
June 9th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I agree we would all 4 be in the BSC however I'm not sure about the rest of your statement. The competition in the MVFC and Summit is what has driven the 3 Dakota schools to improve. Week in and week out you just don't have that level of competition in the BSC. Especially in basketball where once you get past the top 2 schools, the BSC is an absolutely terrible conference.

When SDSU and NDSU were voted down by the BSC our connection to the West, created while playing in the Great West was severed. I don't think either school have looked back and wondered what if. USD had their shot at the BSC and turned it down. Why? Simple. Better conference(s), less travel, automatic rivalries renewed... All is well along I29 south of Grand Forks.

Oh, had we joined the BSC instead of the MVFC, pretty sure the MVFC would still be the Gateway and they would be playing with 8 schools. Before inviting SDSU/NDSU the Gateway was not known to be the most progressive conference in regards to membership.

Yote 53
June 10th, 2016, 10:14 AM
I agree we would all 4 be in the BSC however I'm not sure about the rest of your statement. The competition in the MVFC and Summit is what has driven the 3 Dakota schools to improve. Week in and week out you just don't have that level of competition in the BSC. Especially in basketball where once you get past the top 2 schools, the BSC is an absolutely terrible conference.

When SDSU and NDSU were voted down by the BSC our connection to the West, created while playing in the Great West was severed. I don't think either school have looked back and wondered what if. USD had their shot at the BSC and turned it down. Why? Simple. Better conference(s), less travel, automatic rivalries renewed... All is well along I29 south of Grand Forks.

Oh, had we joined the BSC instead of the MVFC, pretty sure the MVFC would still be the Gateway and they would be playing with 8 schools. Before inviting SDSU/NDSU the Gateway was not known to be the most progressive conference in regards to membership.

I hate to say this but it was not the MVFC that forced the Dakota schools to improve (speaking of football only), it was NDSU that forced the entire MVFC to get better if we were going to compete with them. The Bison would have had the same effect on the BSC and you would probably seen even better programs out in Montana, MSU, EWU, etc. in order to keep up with them. As to the Summit, SDSU and USD have always been strong basketball schools and were going to be a force in any D1 mid-major conference they joined. You can insert your joke about USD not doing anything in D1 basketball yet but you have to admit that we are a program on the come that has made investments in facilities and personnel to make a push as a mid-major player.

My point is that the Dakota schools were going to drive either conference they joined to excel, and not because were so flipping great, that' not what I am trying to say, it's because we have an internal competition amongst us four that continues to raise the bar and drive each schools to get better. We all kind of stayed dormant in D2 athletics for a long time but when the choice was made to move up the commitment level was made by each school to not just be happy to be here but to make an impact. We're forced to because none of us can allow the other to get too far out ahead and dominate the Northern Plains.

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I hate to say this but it was not the MVFC that forced the Dakota schools to improve (speaking of football only), it was NDSU that forced the entire MVFC to get better if we were going to compete with them. The Bison would have had the same effect on the BSC and you would probably seen even better programs out in Montana, MSU, EWU, etc. in order to keep up with them. As to the Summit, SDSU and USD have always been strong basketball schools and were going to be a force in any D1 mid-major conference they joined. You can insert your joke about USD not doing anything in D1 basketball yet but you have to admit that we are a program on the come that has made investments in facilities and personnel to make a push as a mid-major player.

My point is that the Dakota schools were going to drive either conference they joined to excel, and not because were so flipping great, that' not what I am trying to say, it's because we have an internal competition amongst us four that continues to raise the bar and drive each schools to get better. We all kind of stayed dormant in D2 athletics for a long time but when the choice was made to move up the commitment level was made by each school to not just be happy to be here but to make an impact. We're forced to because none of us can allow the other to get too far out ahead and dominate the Northern Plains.

Which is why it's very weird that UND took their ball to the Big Sky and stays there. Maybe they will start pushing harder to compete against the other 3 - but they have a much harder time with it due to the way the Big Sky is setup, etc.

When USD went to the Valley/Summit instead of the Big Sky - there was a collective screech in Grand Forks.

clenz
June 10th, 2016, 10:25 AM
In actual football news.

UNI has hired former Heisman finalist, and Johnny Unitas award winner, Collin Klein from Kansas State to be the QB coach - due to university/state hiring procedures it's not "official" but he's already in Cedar Falls.

His style of play matches up perfectly to what Aaron Bailey wants to achieve, and is how the guys behind Bailey look to develop.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article82234992.html

The Kansas State football team is about to lose its most recognizable graduate assistant.

Collin Klein, a former star quarterback for the Wildcats, is expected to depart K-State and accept a job coaching quarterbacks at Northern Iowa, according to two persons with knowledge of the move.

An announcement is expected in the coming days, they said, but Northern Iowa spokesperson Jordan Lindley said nothing was official when reached Monday. “As of now, Collin Klein is not a part of the UNI football coaching staff for the 2016 season,” she wrote in an email. Attempts to reach Klein were not successful.

Klein has helped K-State coach Bill Snyder and his coaching staff in each of the past two seasons, most recently as an offensive graduate assistant. Klein served as an assistant director of recruiting and defensive quality control coach in his first year.
Regardless of title, Klein spent both seasons on the K-State sidelines advising quarterbacks. With co-offensive coordinators Dana Dimel and Del Miller coaching from the press box, Klein was often the first face K-State quarterbacks encountered as they exited the field.

Klein helped Jake Waters throw for a school-record 3,501 yards as a senior in 2014. Last year, he passed his knowledge onto a string of quarterbacks, as the Wildcats battled injuries at the position all season.
Waters and K-State’s current quarterbacks often praised Klein for his help on and off the field. He was also a key factor in recruiting when prospects visited Manhattan.

Klein will become a full-time assistant for the first time at Northern Iowa, a FCS playoff regular. He will replace former Panthers quarterbacks coach Joe Davis, who left for Fordham after one season.

K-State fans remember Klein best for his days as a quarterback. He went 21-5 in two seasons as a full-time starter and he captained one of the best teams in school history.

As a senior in 2012, Klein led K-State to an 11-2 record and a Big 12 championship. The Wildcats won their first 10 games that season, climbing to the top of the BCS rankings before a late loss to Baylor. They ended the season in the Fiesta Bowl.

Klein also finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting and won the Johnny Unitas Award.

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2016, 10:27 AM
He'll work - Klein can teach him how to tuck the ball and run even faster now.

xthumbsupx

But for real, though. Collin did well @ KSU - and he's a very smart man. Hope he does well (enough) at UNI. Minus 1 or 2 games per year. :D

POD Knows
June 10th, 2016, 10:32 AM

xthumbsupx

But for real, though. Collin did well @ KSU - and he's a very smart man. Hope he does well (enough) at UNI. Minus 1 or 2 games per year. :D

I hope Klein is a train wreck and assists in dragging the program into the bowels of hell, that is just my opinion. Just kidding, sort of.

clenz
June 10th, 2016, 10:37 AM

xthumbsupx

Bailey is 6'4 230lbs
Klein was 6'5 226lbs during his playing days

Klein completed 64.8% of his passes as a senior for 2,641 yards with 16:9 TD:INT with a 149.2 rating while rushing for 920 yards and 23 TD in a similar offense to what UNI is going to (back too...think Tom Petrie (01-04), Eric Sanders 04-07 and Pat Grace 08-09 (on team from 05-09) era...Farley's first 9 seasons at UNI HC)

Bailey is a significantly better runner. If Klein can get him more comfortable with passing from those sets...man...I'll go #3 multiple times per game. Bailey got better when put in position to succeed last year. The last 8 games of the season he completed 60% of his passes or so

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Damn clenz. You just can't take a joke. Always gotta go straight to the stats.

Lol

clenz
June 10th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Damn clenz. You just can't take a joke. Always gotta go straight to the stats.

Lol
You've known me how long, and you aren't aware of what I am?

jacksfan29
June 10th, 2016, 11:11 AM

You may be right. My point was that being in the upper half of the BSC isn't really that hard (see NAU and UND). Staying in the upper half of the MVFC is hard as hell. Does NDSU drive some of that? Yes. But the conference was pretty solid and physical before we joined. Had we gone to the BSC I do not think our FB program would be at the level it is. SDSU was an average D2 FB program. It wasn't until we moved up to FCS that we became the program we are today. Some of that is NDSU but some of it is knowing we had to up our game to compete every week. I think USD hiring Neilson will improve USD more than anything else. He understands the conference. Early on in Glenn's tenure he admitted that the MVFC was a very different beast than the BSC.

clenz
June 10th, 2016, 11:14 AM
To bring another topic to this one...

NDSU basketball fans bitching about not playing UNI

SDSU is on UNI's schedule this year, once again on December 7th
UND is on the schedule as well on December 10th
Add another game against George Mason as well - November 30th

All of those are in Cedar Falls.

BisonFan02
June 10th, 2016, 12:08 PM
To bring another topic to this one...

NDSU basketball fans bitching about not playing UNI

SDSU is on UNI's schedule this year, once again on December 7th
UND is on the schedule as well on December 10th
Add another game against George Mason as well - November 30th

All of those are in Cedar Falls.

Quit ducking us.... :D xlolx

Mayville Bison
June 10th, 2016, 01:36 PM

While I agree with the competition between the Dakota four has traditionally made all four better, joining the MVFC (and getting set in their place right away) pushed NDSU into getting better. After 2007 ended (that final game still haunts me), many fans (myself included) went into the MVFC thinking we'd roll every opponent. After a 4-4 conference record, eyes were opened a little, but nothing like 2009. Play calling was limited, defense was terrible, and no suitable backup at QB lead to a long, long season. MVFC teams did to NDSU what NDSU has done to everyone for the past 5 years.

Or, maybe, we just needed USD to join the conference to give us that final push

Yote 53
June 10th, 2016, 02:22 PM

24-21. You guys better get to work.

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2016, 02:59 PM
24-21. You guys better get to work.

I'm expecting History to repeat itself when we play you guys this year.

Year
Team
Score
Result

NDSU vs YSU
24/27
LOSS

NDSU vs YSU
48/7
WIN

NDSU vs ISU
14/17
LOSS

NDSU vs ISU
56/10
WIN

NDSU vs UNI
3/23
LOSS

NDSU vs UNI
31/28
WIN

NDSU vs UNI
23/13
WIN

NDSU vs Montana
35/38
LOSS

NDSU vs Montana
37/6
WIN

I'm not saying we hold grudges. But history isn't good for the team that beat us during this run of Championships.

EWU - you're next. xthumbsupx

clenz
June 10th, 2016, 03:02 PM
You left the loss to UNI off that.

You did win the next game but it doesn't fit your patter. I get it

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2016, 03:04 PM
You left the loss to UNI off that.

You did win the next game but it doesn't fit your patter. I get it

We won the next two xthumbsupx

POD Knows
June 10th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I'm expecting History to repeat itself when we play you guys this year.

Year
Team
Score
Result

NDSU vs YSU
24/27
LOSS

NDSU vs YSU
48/7
WIN

NDSU vs ISU
14/17
LOSS

NDSU vs ISU
56/10
WIN

NDSU vs UNI
3/23
LOSS

NDSU vs UNI
31/28
WIN

NDSU vs UNI
23/13
WIN

NDSU vs Montana
35/38
LOSS

NDSU vs Montana
37/6
WIN

I'm not saying we hold grudges. But history isn't good for the team that beat us during this run of Championships.

EWU - you're next. xthumbsupx

You should have told this USD guy to blow me. They aren't worthy of a response. They won one freaking game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 10th, 2016, 05:22 PM
You should have told this USD guy to blow me. They aren't worthy of a response. They won one freaking game.

I'm pretty confident the Bison will lay a beat down on the Yotes this year.

Wonder if USD will try to keep Bison fans out of the game.....again this year....

POD Knows
June 10th, 2016, 05:34 PM

Wonder if USD will try to keep Bison fans out of the game.....again this year....

Actually, I was kind of harsh on the USD poster, he seems like a good guy.

uni88
June 10th, 2016, 06:01 PM
While I agree with the competition between the Dakota four has traditionally made all four better, joining the MVFC (and getting set in their place right away) pushed NDSU into getting better. After 2007 ended (that final game still haunts me), many fans (myself included) went into the MVFC thinking we'd roll every opponent. After a 4-4 conference record, eyes were opened a little, but nothing like 2009. Play calling was limited, defense was terrible, and no suitable backup at QB lead to a long, long season. MVFC teams did to NDSU what NDSU has done to everyone for the past 5 years.

Another important factor is how does being in the Big Sky impact recruiting compared to the MVFC? Does Brock Jensen go to NDSU in the Big Sky? Does Ben LeCompte? From Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. it's a lot easier for friends and family to get to MVFC games than Big Sky games. I think NDSU would still be an excellent team but losing an individual here or there could mean the difference in a game or two every year.

It's been a symbiotic relationship, the MVFC has made the Dakota schools better and the Dakota schools have made the MVFC better.

Jackal
June 10th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Another important factor is how does being in the Big Sky impact recruiting compared to the MVFC? Does Brock Jensen go to NDSU in the Big Sky? Does Ben LeCompte? From Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. it's a lot easier for friends and family to get to MVFC games than Big Sky games. I think NDSU would still be an excellent team but losing an individual here or there could mean the difference in a game or two every year.

It's been a symbiotic relationship, the MVFC has made the Dakota schools better and the Dakota schools have made the MVFC better.
I don't see where USD has made the MVFC better or vice versa

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 10th, 2016, 09:46 PM

This here.

2 seasons of no wins in conference....xeyebrowx

uni88
June 10th, 2016, 10:08 PM
They benefit from association. The Dakota schools get lumped together.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
June 10th, 2016, 10:48 PM
They benefit from association. The Dakota schools get lumped together.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Yote 53
June 10th, 2016, 11:22 PM

I hope not. Last time you guys came down to the Dome I had a great time tailgating with your fans. NDSU fans may seem boorish on the web but IRL they are some great fans to hang out with. Had a great time talking old NCC football and MVFC football with some Bison fans up at a hockey camp in Grand Forks a month ago. Have also had good experiences with Bison fans I ran into at a Twins game a while back. I actually like your fan base but I HAVE to give you guys crap about the Yotes winning last year. Otherwise what is the point of bragging rights?

Yote 53
June 10th, 2016, 11:25 PM
This here.

2 seasons of no wins in conference....xeyebrowx

That situation is changing. It has been a total program rebuild.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 11th, 2016, 06:37 AM
That situation is changing. It has been a total program rebuild.

Nielson is a good coach and will probably make USD competitive when he gets "his" type of players. The Valley is tough as nails and it will be a challenge for him to get USD to the top of the league. Can he do it? We'll see.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 11th, 2016, 06:43 AM
I hope not. Last time you guys came down to the Dome I had a great time tailgating with your fans. NDSU fans may seem boorish on the web but IRL they are some great fans to hang out with. Had a great time talking old NCC football and MVFC football with some Bison fans up at a hockey camp in Grand Forks a month ago. Have also had good experiences with Bison fans I ran into at a Twins game a while back. I actually like your fan base but I HAVE to give you guys crap about the Yotes winning last year. Otherwise what is the point of bragging rights?

Broken wrist or not on Wentz, the Yotes scrapped their way to a win last year. It surprised me they hung in and eventually won. I thought it was over after the Bison went up 14-0 but anything can happen in football.

If I can get a ticket, I plan on making the trip to Vermillion.

POD Knows
June 11th, 2016, 09:04 AM

You gets didn't just beat us last year, you BEAT us last year. It was the most shocking defeat I can ever remember.

Thumper 76
June 11th, 2016, 10:00 AM
You gets didn't just beat us last year, you BEAT us last year. It was the most shocking defeat I can ever remember.

More shocking than the 07 Marker Game?

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 11th, 2016, 11:12 AM

The '07 Jacks were playing pretty well at the end of the year. That was a fun game to be at.

Thumper 76
June 11th, 2016, 11:17 AM
The '07 Jacks were playing pretty well at the end of the year. That was a fun game to be at.

Outside of Sumner and Zenners last game in the playoffs at Fargo, best game between the two teams in FCS by far.

POD Knows
June 11th, 2016, 11:43 AM

To me it was more shocking because I thought the disparity between NDSU and USD was huge. I didn't get down to the Marker game in 2007 but I wasn't real shocked by that, it was in Brookings, USD beat us at home, total shock.

Twentysix
June 12th, 2016, 07:25 AM
To me it was more shocking because I thought the disparity between NDSU and USD was huge. I didn't get down to the Marker game in 2007 but I wasn't real shocked by that, it was in Brookings, USD beat us at home, total shock.

Werent we 10-0 going into the sdsu game with 2 fbs wins... and they won the confrence championship by beating us.

Tough to put last years usd ahead of that imo.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 12th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Werent we 10-0 going into the sdsu game with 2 fbs wins... and they won the confrence championship by beating us.

Bison ended up 10-1 and the Jacks won the conference with a 7-4 record.

POD Knows
June 12th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Yea, the SDSU game was more disappointing but it wasn't as shocking to me. I just didn't think that it was as big of an upset as the USD game, 4 time defending National Champion against a team that we had out scored 143 to 7 in the prior three games, not even real close comparison to me.

IBleedYellow
June 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Yea, the SDSU game was more disappointing but it wasn't as shocking to me. I just didn't think that it was as big of an upset as the USD game, 4 time defending National Champion against a team that we had out scored 143 to 7 in the prior three games, not even real close comparison to me.
Exactly.

We had destroyed them for so long - it was just a shock.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mayville Bison
June 12th, 2016, 11:06 AM

Why must you bring up that nightmare?

Thumper 76
June 12th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Why must you bring up that nightmare?

Because I must. And it's a wonderful memory. xlolx xlolx xlolx

clenz
June 13th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Doing an interesting look for the coming year. I'll get full numbers posted soon, but doing it as a test run on the MVFC for a larger project.

Remember how bad MSU's defense was? It's a good news/bad news for them. They return nearly every single defensive stat from last season. I can't wait to see the reactions when I get this done.

Oh, same thing for their offense, but on a completely different scale spectrum.

Oh...also...Illinois State's offense? Yeah. About that

clenz
June 13th, 2016, 10:41 PM
I'm halfway through the conference and am blown away by the results yet completely not surprised at all.

This method takes a very specific set of things into consideration and that's all. There are teams doing much better than you'd think and some that are a strange mix of right where I'd think yet lower than I'd think.

BisonFan02
June 14th, 2016, 12:23 AM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4053707-ndsu-iowa-set-espn-morning-kickoff

Didn't need its own thread I don't think....but after NDSU hosts the FCS kickoff on ESPN, the NDSU/Iowa game is going to be on either ESPN or ESPN2 at 11am central. xthumbsupx

dewey
June 14th, 2016, 07:49 AM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4053707-ndsu-iowa-set-espn-morning-kickoff

Didn't need its own thread I don't think....but after NDSU hosts the FCS kickoff on ESPN, the NDSU/Iowa game is going to be on either ESPN or ESPN2 at 11am central. xthumbsupx

Yep. 2 of the first 3 games on ESPN is a great thing for NDSU.

Dewey

clenz
June 14th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Indiana State can go screw themselves with how they list their stats on their webpage.

Also, if I had time to run something like this during the season I have a damn good start on a college football fantasy scoring system.

The Yo Show
June 14th, 2016, 11:09 AM
I feel like if individual stats were more available, Fantasy college football would be bigger than NFL.

clenz
June 14th, 2016, 11:29 AM
I feel like if individual stats were more available, Fantasy college football would be bigger than NFL.
I'm thinking ESPN, Yahoo, etc... couldn't run an NCAA college fantasy

Not to say an individual couldn't, but it really is a ton of work unless you're going to dedicate building a website and coding it like a yahoo page.

I have sheets in google that could total it all in seconds, but manually inputing stats would suck