Anniston, Alabama
DII Semifinals

JACKSONVILLE STATE 31
NORTH DAKOTA STATE 7

Attendance 10,000
ABC Television Regional Game

JSUSoutherner
December 23rd, 2015, 04:49 PM
Hey look! Another chance to use this pic!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/6c9a55868a3c86a3ad9948cebfe98688.jpg

dgtw
December 23rd, 2015, 04:51 PM
There may be people playing in this next game whose parents weren't even born yet when this was played.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 23rd, 2015, 05:06 PM
Grantland, Rice Bowl 1977
Anniston, Alabama
DII Semifinals

JACKSONVILLE STATE 31
NORTH DAKOTA STATE 7

Attendance 10,000

TROLL

Gamecocks99
December 23rd, 2015, 05:27 PM
TROLL

No troll, I was there. The field was painted Green for the ABC TV Cameras. Our stadium was being renovated. We play at nearby Anniston High School..

Lehigh'98
December 23rd, 2015, 05:29 PM
Grantland, Rice Bowl 1977
Anniston, Alabama
DII Semifinals

JACKSONVILLE STATE 31
NORTH DAKOTA STATE 7

Attendance 10,000

How'd they do in the finals? Who'd they end up playing anyway? I'm sure they won.

Gamecocks99
December 23rd, 2015, 05:39 PM
In 1977 DII and 1 AA were combined until the next year being - 1978 1AA WAS BORN - NOW FCS.

Jacksonville State played Lehigh University in
The Pioneer Bowl National Championship in
Wichita Falls, Texas on Dec 10th, 1977.
It was extremely cold.
Lehigh Won and JSU was the Runner-up

Gamecocks99
December 23rd, 2015, 05:45 PM
Lehigh Won 33-0. Our QB got hurt early and did not return to the game. Much respect for Lehigh. Great memories.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2015, 06:18 PM
How'd they do in the finals? Who'd they end up playing anyway? I'm sure they won.

Right, lets talk about that. I mean, you play for championships, not semifinals amirite?

McNeese72
December 23rd, 2015, 06:27 PM
A long, long time ago in a universe far, far away!!!!!!

Doc

McNeese72
December 23rd, 2015, 06:30 PM
In 1976 McNeese beat Tulsa in the very first Independence Bowl (we were Div I-A then and we also played in the 1979 and 1980 Indy Bowls). That has about as much revelance as the original post.

Dco

PAllen
December 23rd, 2015, 06:49 PM
1977 was a great year in D-II FB

Gamecocks99
December 23rd, 2015, 07:26 PM
Right, lets talk about that. I mean, you play for championships, not semifinals amirite?

Dom Izzo. Writing for Bison Media shared this score along with Jacksonville State beating NDSU 21 - 17 in 1989
In Jacksonville in the QuarterFinals.
We played for the Championship each year and the Bison returned home and didn't play either of the years for the Championship.
JACKSONVILLE STATE WON THE football
CHAMPIONSHIP in 1992.
BASEBALL, NC BACK TO BACK IN 1990&1991
And JSU Won the Basketball NC in 1985.

JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY
HAS WON
The Triple Crown of National Chamiopships.
YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT IS A AMAZING.....

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2015, 07:28 PM
Dom Izzo. Writing for Bison Media shared this score along with Jacksonville State beating NDSU 21 - 17 in 1989
We played for the Championship each year and the Bison returned home and didn't play either of the years for the Champuoship.
CHAMPIONSHIP in 1992.
And Won the Basketball NC in 1985
The Triple Crown of National Chamiopships

yeah. since that 1977 loss we won 9 football championships. Kind of gets you over it. In fact, we talk way more about the 2010 quarterfinal than anything.

ST_Lawson
December 23rd, 2015, 07:33 PM
There may be people playing in this next game whose parents weren't even born yet when this was played.

Could be, yea. I was born in '78, and if I had a kid when I was 18, they'd be 19 right now...old enough to be playing college football.

Gamecocks99
December 23rd, 2015, 07:58 PM
yeah. since that 1977 loss we won 9 football championships. Kind of gets you over it. In fact, we talk way more about the 2010 quarterfinal than anything.

North Dakota does not have an Alabama or an Auburn in there State or a University of North Alabama.
Add all of their NC s, and then let's match NC and that has us way over your 9 NC s.

centennial
December 23rd, 2015, 08:05 PM
North Dakota does not have an Alabama or an Auburn in there State or a University of North Alabama.
Add all of their NC s, and then let's match NC and that has us way over your 9 NC s.
Did you go to school at JSU?

Gamecocks99
December 23rd, 2015, 08:12 PM
In 1976 McNeese beat Tulsa in the very first Independence Bowl (we were Div I-A then and we also played in the 1979 and 1980 Indy Bowls). That has about as much revelance as the original post.

Dco
NDSU HAS NEVER BEAT JACKSONVILLE STATE
DO YOU GET IT NOW? ? ? ? ? ?
THEY HAVE NO FBS SCHOOLS IN NORTH DAKOTA TO RECRUIT, AGAINST. THEY ARE THE BIG FISH IN A SMALL POND. LMAO

centennial
December 23rd, 2015, 08:15 PM
THEY HAVE NO FBS SCHOOLS IN NORTH DAKOTA TO RECRUIT, AGAINST. THEY ARE THE BIG FISH IN A SMALL POND. LMAO
You ever get the feeling that people aren't laughing with you, but at you?

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 23rd, 2015, 08:16 PM

TROLL

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2015, 08:17 PM

I'll bet Alabama fans would totally support you using their national championships as your own.

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2015, 08:32 PM

With your band, you guys should join the SWAC. You could win all sorts of championships then!

Gamecocks99
December 23rd, 2015, 08:33 PM
I'll bet Alabama fans would totally support you using their national championships as your own.

Funny thing is, yes we support them and they support us, and we all support each other. Because we have FBS SCHOOLS AND FCS SCHOOLS AND DII SCHOOLS.
THERE ARE NO FBS SCHOOLS IN NORTH DAKOTA FOR YOU GUYS TO SUPPORT. LOL COME PLAY ALABAMA AND THEN TELL ME HOW GREAT YOUR SCHOOL IS.
WE HAVE beat ALABAMA IN BASEBALL AND BASKETBALL.
I DOUBT, Alabama has ever been on a NDSU schedule

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2015, 08:35 PM
Funny thing is, yes we support them and they support us, and we all support each other. Because we have FBS SCHOOLS AND FCS SCHOOLS AND DII SCHOOLS.
THERE ARE NO FBS SCHOOLS IN NORTH DAKOTA FOR YOU GUYS TO SUPPORT. LOL COME PLAY ALABAMA AND THEN TELL ME HOW GREAT YOUR SCHOOL IS.
WE HAVE ALABAMA IN BASEBALL AND BASKETBALL.

They won't schedule us.

Gamecocks99
December 23rd, 2015, 08:36 PM
With your band, you guys should join the SWAC. You could win all sorts of championships then!
Wrong type band. Do your research.
We play ed for the Queen of England a couple of years back. Pretty impressive.

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2015, 08:36 PM

Tell Bama to give NDSU AD Larson a call.....I can't really blame them though. It is cheaper to bus one of the more local FCS teams to Tuscaloosa.

Cocky
December 23rd, 2015, 08:38 PM
TROLL
As the old saying goes, it takes one to know one.

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2015, 08:39 PM
Wrong type band. Do your research.
We play ed for the Queen of England a couple of years back. Pretty impressive.

Good for you guys...sounds like the band is more relevant than your entire athletic department.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 23rd, 2015, 08:50 PM
What is with the ALL caps? Like yelling to try to make a point?

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 23rd, 2015, 08:53 PM

What have I said that would be trolling? I'm not the one bringing up a football game that happened 38 years ago, or using all caps. I haven't even posted anything for several days.

centennial
December 23rd, 2015, 09:00 PM
Tell Bama to give NDSU AD Larson a call.....I can't really blame them though. It is cheaper to bus one of the more local FCS teams to Tuscaloosa.
I would travel to see this game. Even if we get our ass kicked. Game vs SEC I want to see- Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, A&M.

Cocky
December 23rd, 2015, 09:04 PM
What have I said that would be trolling? I'm not the one bringing up a football game that happened 38 years ago, or using all caps. I haven't even posted anything for several days.

I dont see anything for NDSU to be ashamed of? It was you second time to reach the semi and those players help start what has become a great program. I would bet money those players were pretty damn proud group of players for NDSU.

We got our butt stomped in the finals but that group is still one of the best teams in our history.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 23rd, 2015, 09:08 PM

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into .

mmiller_34
December 23rd, 2015, 09:09 PM
This is the dumbest thread I have ever read on AGS

Cocky
December 23rd, 2015, 09:14 PM
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into .

Notice NDSU has no names on the backs of the uniforms? It is for a reason. NDSU plays as a team not an individual.

This is just one of the post I would say fall within the definition.

NDSUtk
December 23rd, 2015, 09:38 PM
We played for the Championship each year and the Bison returned home and didn't play either of the years for the Championship.
CHAMPIONSHIP in 1992.
And JSU Won the Basketball NC in 1985.

JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY
HAS WON
The Triple Crown of National Chamiopships.
YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT IS A AMAZING.....

That is pretty good. Although I'm not sure that I'd say it's the triple crown since it isn't the highest caliber of play (ie: the basketball championship was D2).

Here's some of our history:
Football: 12 Championships: '65, '68, '69, '83, '85, '86, '88, '90, '11, '12, '13, and '14
Women's Basketball: 5 Championships: '91, '93, '94, '95, '96 (the original NDSU 4-pete Championship)
Wrestling: 4 Championships: '88, '98, '00, '01
Softball: 2000
Women's Track & Field: 2002
Men's Cross Country: 1972

I don't believe any other sports have won National Championships. I could be wrong though.

December 23rd, 2015, 09:43 PM

North Dakota also does not have millions of people to pick local boys to play football.

Sycamore62
December 23rd, 2015, 09:45 PM
Maybe we could find a D2 or FBS forum or 2

unless i can piggyback on to Notre Dames national championships

Cocky
December 23rd, 2015, 10:05 PM
History question for NDSU, what happen from 2000-2010? Was this a transition time or was the program down? JSU had moved up and I didnt keep up with DII much during this time.

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2015, 10:09 PM
History question for NDSU, what happen from 2000-2010? Was this a transition time or was the program down? JSU had moved up and I didnt keep up with DII much during this time.

Announced move in August of 2002...2003 onward 5 year probation....2008 first year eligible....fairly rough first two years...been good from 2010 till now. The 2006 and 2007 teams probably could have been championship contenders as well if they were eligible.

From 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNk8EDKFCw

centennial
December 23rd, 2015, 10:14 PM
2003 team beat Montana as a D2 team
2005- 7-4 Against D1
2006(10-1 with one point loss to MN), 2007(10-1 beat MN, and CMU 44-14, they were the MAC champions that year) teams could have seriously challenged for the NC.
2008(6-5), 2009(3-8) Moved to MVFC bad years by our standards

Cocky
December 23rd, 2015, 10:31 PM
Announced move in August of 2002...2003 onward 5 year probation....2008 first year eligible....fairly rough first two years...been good from 2010 till now. The 2006 and 2007 teams probably could have been championship contenders as well if they were eligible.

From 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNk8EDKFCw
Thanks, I assumed it was transition but wasnt sure.

dgtw
December 23rd, 2015, 10:40 PM
Funny thing is, yes we support them and they support us, and we all support each other.

We do? So do you support Troy? I'm also a Bama fan and I sure as heck don't support Auburn.

dgtw
December 23rd, 2015, 10:41 PM
That is pretty good. Although I'm not sure that I'd say it's the triple crown since it isn't the highest caliber of play (ie: the basketball championship was D2).

Here's some of our history:
Football: 12 Championships: '65, '68, '69, '83, '85, '86, '88, '90, '11, '12, '13, and '14
Women's Basketball: 5 Championships: '91, '93, '94, '95, '96 (the original NDSU 4-pete Championship)
Wrestling: 4 Championships: '88, '98, '00, '01
Softball: 2000
Women's Track & Field: 2002
Men's Cross Country: 1972

I don't believe any other sports have won National Championships. I could be wrong though.

We also had a DII women's gymnastic national championship back when we had a team and the NCAA sponsored DII gymnastics.

Cocky
December 23rd, 2015, 11:00 PM
[/B]

We do? So do you support Troy? I'm also a Bama fan and I sure as heck don't support Auburn.

I know its not to me but I support JSU and my high school. The others I support as much as NDSU, UNI, SHSU, EKU, or any other school. Enjoy watching others play but Im for my school unless I have offspring/kin/friends playing for another.

IBleedYellow
December 23rd, 2015, 11:19 PM
Well this was an interesting read.

At least Cocky is his normal respectful self and hasn't changed his tune since I've first seen him posting here. Props cocky.

frozennorth
December 23rd, 2015, 11:46 PM
Ndsu has won it's last 8 title games and is 12-3 in such games. You're screwed, JSU people

dewey
December 24th, 2015, 12:37 AM
At least Cocky is his normal respectful self and hasn't changed his tune since I've first seen him posting here. Props cocky.

^^^^^Agreed! There is something to be said about a person that is genuinely interested in learning about the history of the school they are playing against and not just beating the dead horse of....well you don't have any FBS schools in your state or whatever.

Reps to you cocky! Cocky are you going to Frisco?

Dewey

Gamecocks99
December 24th, 2015, 06:54 AM
They won't schedule us.
Lmao right.

Cocky
December 24th, 2015, 06:59 AM
^^^^^Agreed! There is something to be said about a person that is genuinely interested in learning about the history of the school they are playing against and not just beating the dead horse of....well you don't have any FBS schools in your state or whatever.

Dewey
Probably but it cant interfere with my deer hunting or baseball. I believe I have deer hunting worked out with the wife (its hard to get her out of the woods). Baseball practice start first of Jan, but the coach is an old Gamecock so I have hope.

Gamecocks99
December 24th, 2015, 07:00 AM
I know its not to me but I support JSU and my high school. The others I support as much as NDSU, UNI, SHSU, EKU, or any other school. Enjoy watching others play but Im for my school unless I have offspring/kin/friends playing for another.

I didn't mention Auburn or T roy. But you will find others that do in Alabama. Don't miss the point they have no fbs school.in North Dakota to recruit against. Fargo is far as you can go. Lol.

dgtw
December 24th, 2015, 07:04 AM

Dewey

Can't speak for him, but me and the Mrs. will be there.

As I've said, I wanted to play y'all as soon as I saw we were in opposite brackets. To be the best, you have to beat the best. The usual blah blah aside, most of your fans here are pretty good guys and from lurking on your fan board, I didn't see anything too bad there either.

The whole "no FBS teams" is a doubled edge sword. No, you don't have competition from a Bama or Auburn (not that we'd get their recruits anyway), but we get very little media love in the state. We rank behind the second tier FBS schools in that regard here. Nobody gives a rip about us but us. We get looked down on for being FCS even though we'd probably have beaten Troy or South Alabama this year and would beat Dollar Bill Clark's gang of thugs and rejects when UAB revives their crap program.

But the average fan sees no difference in us and the DII schools here. But we have Jax State grads who won't go to Frisco but will be at Jerry World New Year's Eve.

Cocky
December 24th, 2015, 07:07 AM

Dewey

Thanks, I can listen to bs at he local coffee hangout, but I do enjoy some new facts.

dgtw
December 24th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Ndsu has won it's last 8 title games and is 12-3 in such games. You're screwed, JSU people

We've won one title game in a row and officially 1-1 in title games. We had one loss vacated when the other team was found to have FBS level of scholarships. (Though I think it still counts as a loss in our record)

dewey
December 24th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Don't miss the point they have no fbs school.in North Dakota to recruit against. Fargo is far as you can go. Lol.

I am not sure if you have mentioned it yet but we don't an FBS school in North Dakota....good god everyone is fully aware that we don't have an FBS school in North Dakota.

You do know that FBS teams recruit nationally and not just the state they are in right?

You should just change you signature to "Yeah well North Dakota doesn't have any FBS schools in there state" so that way you don't have to type it in every post you make.

Good luck deer hunting and with baseball cocky.

Dewey

McNeese72
December 24th, 2015, 09:40 AM

My point, that you don't get, is that that game was so long ago that the schools, teams, and coaches have totally changed since then so that game has no bearing on what is going to happen on Jan 9, 2016.

Doc

Sycamore62
December 24th, 2015, 09:46 AM
There are about 10,000,000 more people within 200 miles of Jacksonville, AL than Fargo,ND. More schools around Jacksonville than Fargo. Its probably all relative.

Bison56
December 24th, 2015, 01:06 PM
I didn't mention Auburn or T roy. But you will find others that do in Alabama. Don't miss the point they have no fbs school.in North Dakota to recruit against. Fargo is far as you can go. Lol.
Moron

CockyGeek
December 24th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Do you want to be a South Alabama or Troy fan? Is that really high caliber football? Quit making us look dumb

TROLL

The Grass is greener in Jacksonville

Lehigh'98
December 24th, 2015, 04:36 PM
What's all this about there being no FBS schools in N.Dakota? That must really help your recruiting!!

centennial
December 24th, 2015, 04:38 PM
What's all this about there being no FBS schools in N.Dakota? That must really help your recruiting!!
I believe no FCS school in MN, WI, and NE helps us a lot more.

Lehigh'98
December 24th, 2015, 04:40 PM

My sarcasm must not be flowing.. I'm having a few Xmas Eve cocktails..

Cocky
December 24th, 2015, 04:41 PM
I agree with this. If an FBS school wants a ND player they more than likely will get them. NDSU probably cant pay what ND, TOSU, UAT, Auburn, TX and the other big boys can.

dewey
December 24th, 2015, 07:24 PM
I agree with this. If an FBS school wants a ND player they more than likely will get them. NDSU probably cant pay what ND, TOSU, UAT, Auburn, TX and the other big boys can.

^^^^^^This right here. There is usually a ND recruit or two each year that get a P5 scholarship and an NDSU offer. Needless to say NDSU doesn't win too many battles with the P5 schools. If a player is really talented it doesn't matter where he is they will be found.

Dewey

Bisonwinagn
December 24th, 2015, 10:39 PM
I think NDSU only gives offers to about 3 recruits each year out of ND as there are not many D1 recruits in the state. We compete with Iowa, MN, WI, MAC, and Valley schools for most recruits.

Do SEC fans really know the difference between Troy and JSU? I promise you most Big Ten fans have no clue what division teams are in outside of the Big Ten. G5 and FCS are no different to most fans as both get limited exposure.

Cocky
December 24th, 2015, 11:51 PM
I think NDSU only gives offers to about 3 recruits each year out of ND as there are not many D1 recruits in the state. We compete with Iowa, MN, WI, MAC, and Valley schools for most recruits.

Do SEC fans really know the difference between Troy and JSU? I promise you most Big Ten fans have no clue what division teams are in outside of the Big Ten. G5 and FCS are no different to most fans as both get limited exposure.
SEC fans believe you have the them, then the other P5 conferences and then all other teams. Boise and Mt Union are in the same division in their eyes. This only changes if Paul Finebaum tell them differently.