PDA

View Full Version : Temple OC Marcus Satterfield to be named Tennessee tech head coach

chattownmocs
December 22nd, 2015, 07:48 AM
Also UTC OC from 2009-2012. Did a really good job at temple. Will be a nice hire.

JSUSoutherner
December 22nd, 2015, 07:51 AM
Good news for the OVC, two great new coaches in two days

ST_Lawson
December 22nd, 2015, 07:59 AM
Related to Scott Satterfield?

chattownmocs
December 22nd, 2015, 08:00 AM
Related to Scott Satterfield?

No relation

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 22nd, 2015, 02:37 PM
Makes sense. He's from the Knoxville area and played at ETSU.

Nor Eastern
December 22nd, 2015, 02:55 PM
This is a good get for TT

TTUEagles
December 22nd, 2015, 03:09 PM
I heard he was a candidate, but nothing else. Where did you find this info.? Thanks!

TTUEagles
December 22nd, 2015, 03:21 PM
Just saw a tweet where J Chadwell from C Southern is interested in TTU now. Don't think Satterfield is official. I could be wrong

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 22nd, 2015, 04:15 PM
Nothing from the Temple side. Although with kickoff in less than 2 hours I doubt you'd hear anything until after our bowl game tonight...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 22nd, 2015, 06:35 PM
Satterfield's offense is on display right now. ESPN....

catamount man
December 22nd, 2015, 06:50 PM
Marcus was Western Carolina's wide receivers coach in 2005 and was a great guy to converse with. Wish him well at TTU.

TTUEagles
December 22nd, 2015, 07:19 PM
Still don't think this is official. I've heard a conflicting report from TTU that he's simply in their "narrowed-down" list...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 22nd, 2015, 07:41 PM
Temple's offense has been terrible in the first half. Toledo is good but this is extra ugly. I dunno what's going on...

chattownmocs
December 22nd, 2015, 09:01 PM
If it's wrong, my bad. They haven't made it official, but I'm hearing he has accepted an offer.

TTUEagles
December 22nd, 2015, 10:12 PM
May be Satterfield after all. Nashville's newspaper tweeted that Charleston Southern's Head Coach was "in the mix," and he has since returned tweeted (is that how you phrase it?) that he is NOT in the running for the TTU job.

JSUSoutherner
December 22nd, 2015, 10:36 PM
So if he doesn't make TTU any better can we call him Mark Shatterfield?

TTUEagles
December 22nd, 2015, 10:53 PM
So if he doesn't make TTU any better can we call him Mark Shatterfield?
Well, there's not much of a reference point on "better," is there?

JSUSoutherner
December 22nd, 2015, 10:54 PM
Well, there's not much of a reference point on "better," is there?

How about more than 4 wins?

TTUEagles
December 22nd, 2015, 11:26 PM
Exactly. 😀

mamberso
December 23rd, 2015, 12:45 PM
Satterfield or Chadwell would both be good hires, and major upgrades over Brown. Definitely would not look forward to having to face the triple option every year.

ETSUfan1
December 23rd, 2015, 01:37 PM
Satterfield or Chadwell would both be good hires, and major upgrades over Brown. Definitely would not look forward to having to face the triple option every year.
Both ETSU alums. Wish they would return to their alma mater.

TTUEagles
December 23rd, 2015, 05:05 PM
Put both of them with Mike Smith (formerly with the Falcons) and you have a nice little ETSU coaching tree!

TTUEagles
December 23rd, 2015, 08:14 PM
Another tweet hours ago says Brian Stinespring (TE & rec. coord. @ Va Tech) interviewed today at TTU.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 24th, 2015, 07:51 AM

What he said. Did not think of Satterfield as a possible Torbush successor but Chadwell has head coaching experience (and is a successful one to boot).

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 24th, 2015, 07:53 AM
Put both of them with Mike Smith (formerly with the Falcons) and you have a nice little ETSU coaching tree!

Smith would make a compelling case to be Torbush's successor. He could be our version of Jim Harbaugh.

TTUEagles
December 24th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Smith would make a compelling case to be Torbush's successor. He could be our version of Jim Harbaugh.

There was talk about inquiring about Smith to TTU (D-Line and DC coach for years at TECH), but seriously, from ATL Falcons to FCS. I'm 99.9% sure TTU couldn't afford him... Expecting Smith to get an NFL job this offseason (Titans???? I hope)

TTUEagles
December 30th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Interim coach Dewayne Alexander in for a 2nd interview today. *sigh*

JSUSoutherner
December 30th, 2015, 05:00 PM
There was talk about inquiring about Smith to TTU (D-Line and DC coach for years at TECH), but seriously, from ATL Falcons to FCS. I'm 99.9% sure TTU couldn't afford him... Expecting Smith to get an NFL job this offseason (Titans???? I hope)
I've heard rumors that Chip Kelly may go to the Titans to be back with his protege.

TTUEagles
December 30th, 2015, 05:01 PM
I've heard rumors that Chip Kelly may go to the Titans to be back with his protege.
As a Titans fan, I hope not.

JSUSoutherner
December 30th, 2015, 05:04 PM
As a Titans fan, I hope not.

Honestly he would be a good fit there. He wasn't a bad coach for the Eagles, he was just a bad manager. He screwed the roster this year. When he was just there as a coach they weren't half bad. The Titans also play more to Kelly's strengths and offensive style. With Mariota at the helm Kelly could turn the Titans into a powerhouse.

TTUEagles
December 30th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Honestly he would be a good fit there. He wasn't a bad coach for the Eagles, he was just a bad manager. He screwed the roster this year. When he was just there as a coach they weren't half bad. The Titans also play more to Kelly's strengths and offensive style. With Mariota at the helm Kelly could turn the Titans into a powerhouse.
But, the players all hated him. He is/was a control freak. Killed his defense by keeping them on the field a lot more than usual, etc. Chip + Mariota works great against the Pac-12, not the AFC South (maybe the same this year, though!)... I just don't get the appeal - just because he was Mariota's colleg coach? Now, the Titans will kick ass? Really? Why?

JSUSoutherner
December 30th, 2015, 05:19 PM
But, the players all hated him. He is/was a control freak. Killed his defense by keeping them on the field a lot more than usual, etc. Chip + Mariota works great against the Pac-12, not the AFC South (maybe the same this year, though!)... I just don't get the appeal - just because he was Mariota's colleg coach? Now, the Titans will kick ass? Really? Why?

The players didn't like Kelly because they didn't believe in his methods and stonewalled him. It wasn't all Kelly.

The Titans however, have overhauled their offense just for Mariota anyway this year and would you believe me if I told you who the best coach to run their new style was?

TTUEagles
December 30th, 2015, 05:50 PM
The players didn't like Kelly because they didn't believe in his methods and stonewalled him. It wasn't all Kelly.

The Titans however, have overhauled their offense just for Mariota anyway this year and would you believe me if I told you who the best coach to run their new style was?
Mike Smith. Or Josh McDaniels...

TTUEagles
December 30th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Regarding jackass Chip Kelly:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20151231_Lane_Johnson_calls_Chip_Kelly_a_dictator. html

TTUEagles
January 3rd, 2016, 05:39 PM
TTU will likely name Marcus Satterfield as Head Coach Monday at 10 AM...
This thread was started after a tweet stating he was a candidate. Officially named tomorrow...

JSUSoutherner
January 3rd, 2016, 06:28 PM
TTU will likely name Marcus Satterfield as Head Coach Monday at 10 AM...
This thread was started after a tweet stating he was a candidate. Officially named tomorrow...
Hopefully he does well. It will be nice to have a couple more good teams in the OVC.

Skyhawk71
January 4th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Satterfield is an outstanding coach with strong ties to the mid-state, he opened that area up to UTM when he was OC; He should be an outstanding head coach- First of the Simpson assistants to come back to be a HC in the OVC........

TTUEagles
January 4th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Satterfield is an outstanding coach with strong ties to the mid-state, he opened that area up to UTM when he was OC; He should be an outstanding head coach- First of the Simpson assistants to come back to be a HC in the OVC........
I'm betting that former UTM QB, Derek Carr, comes with him. Not too thrilled at my program being 'tainted' with all of this UTM blood...
Of course, I'm joking...

Skyhawk71
January 4th, 2016, 10:45 AM
The only way Derek wouldn't come is if he needs one more year for his graduate degree- then he would definitely be there- the only downside for him is he would have to walk out on Overall field and remember the time Tech cost UTM the OVC Championship his senior year- every day........and then lost to a winless Peay the next week- heck, I'm not over that one yet- Good Luck, you got a good one, and has been ready to be closer to home for a while; so he will work hard to turn the corner for the Eagles

Skyhawk71
January 5th, 2016, 06:52 AM
And Derek is on the way, I'm pretty sure that the Tech defense will definitely have some expertise on the UTM offensive schemes in 2016; Still running the same system, with some minor differences- it will be strange when they walk into Graham Stadium this fall-

TTUEagles
January 5th, 2016, 09:03 AM
I saw that today that Carr was on the way - you beat me to it... Struggling to cope with too much Pacer influence on this team...

catamount man
January 7th, 2016, 07:05 PM
You guys are getting our DC. Quinn is leaving WCU to be TTU's new DC. Also, Chris Polizzi is coming with him. Dang! Speir can't keep DC. This will be Speir's third different DC in 5 season. TTU is also getting David Napert as OL coach. Napert was on WCU's staff from 2003-07 and was the head coach recently at Smoky Mountain HS in Sylva, NC. He's a good man. Good luck to Satterfield and staff. GO CATS!

TTUEagles
January 7th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Tough to tell, but by the looks of it, Satterfield is putting together a nice staff!
Thanks for the updates on the WCU connection.

catamount man
January 7th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Tough to tell, but by the looks of it, Satterfield is putting together a nice staff!
Thanks for the updates on the WCU connection.

Marcus doesn't put up with any "ME" crap. I saw him send a WCU WR to the locker room down in Statesboro his only season as a Catamount assistant coach because the kid didn't get his way and popped off at the mouth. The kid didn't talk back either. You guys are getting a good one.

Catamount87
January 11th, 2016, 07:27 AM
TTU is getting a great coach and defensive coordinator in Shawn Quinn. He's done wonders with the defense at WCU. To boot, he's a class act as well. He posted this on the Catamount Pride (http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=catamountpride&nav=messages&prettyurl=%2Fcatamountpride%2Fmessages&gid=5717882).

"I informed our team tonight at Western, at the team meeting that I was leaving to become the Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator at Tennessee Tech University. It has been an unbelievable run here for me and my family. I am extremely proud of the work our team and staff has put in to turn around Catamount football and make it relevant again. I have give my heart and soul to WCU for the last 3 years and worked with everything I had to be part of turning this program around. I believe in the mission started by Dr. Belcher, Randy Eaton and Coach Speir to make WCU a power again. In the last two seasons our team have produced 14 wins, a 10-1 home record and undefeated home record 5-0 in 2015. All the while doing it with class and integrity. Whenever you take a job I always want to leave it better than I found it. I can honestly say we have. As to why I am leaving? The reason is the opportunity to help rebuild another program and push me closer to my goal of becoming a Head Football Coach. This was not about money or our administration, they have been awesome and our committed to a winning program. How can you help put Western over the Top? Give to the Catamount club, bring a friend with you to a game, get behind the facilities getting ready to be built and most importantly KEEP BELIEVING! This is a New Era for WCU. I am excited to see what the future holds for the Cats! Thank you guys for being wonderful to me and my family during our time here. I am excited about the next chapter for my family and I. GO CATS, GO GOLDEN EAGLES! God Bless Shawn Quinn"

Skyhawk71
January 12th, 2016, 06:42 AM
Justin Ruscati (UTM Assistant) is headed up to the plateau as OC- good recruiter, strong ties to Florida and east coast; TTUEagle looks like you got another "Pacer" in the mix

chattanoogamocs
January 12th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Jason Simpson UTM (former UTC OC)
Marcus Satterfield TTU (former UTC OC)
Will Healy APSU (former UTC QB coach)

That's a whole lot of UTC connections for JSU to beat up on. ;)

JSUSoutherner
January 12th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Jason Simpson UTM (former UTC OC)
Marcus Satterfield TTU (former UTC OC)
Will Healy APSU (former UTC QB coach)

That's a whole lot of UTC connections for JSU to beat up on. ;)

They didn't want to miss out on their 2016 dose of beatdown.