PDA

View Full Version : Colgate at Sam Houston State

Pages : 1 [2]

YoUDeeMan
December 15th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I agree with Daytripper. Having to bring academics into a discussion about football is a position of weakness and nothing but an excuse.

As for Cluck U, it's awesome to have you on this thread! I know you haven't had much to post about in a few months but AGS members like you (from the lesser football schools) are the lifeblood of this board so it's great to have you here!!!

A few months? xeyebrowxI thought you Colgate people were supposed to be smart...UD hasn't had anything good to post about in several years.

Brock has us on track for 2031 and he likes where we're going. Apparently, he was a plumber in his previous life.

Even so, we still beat you guys last year and destroyed UNH this year while you guys edged them. Heck, if UD was in the Patriot League, we'd have been in the playoffs this year, but that and 6.93 will get you 21 divided by 3.

Sam_Kats
December 15th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I always laugh at the comparisons of one school's academics vs another. As if averaging everyone's starting salary from all fields somehow gives me a gauge on my standard of living. Sam Houston pumps out a lot of public servants such as law enforcement & educators who, like my wife, go straight into that field & never plan on getting out. Although she's worked her way into an administrative role at her school, starting at $50k/yr sure does skew the average for Sam Houston. We were also 1st time college students within our families - my mom worked hard to put my brother & I through college & with her savings + 2 years worth of scholarships, I was able to graduate debt free (minus a few bar tabs @ the Jolly Fox).

Having said that, I majored in business, not education. My wife likes my compensation a lot more than hers and she's glad I didn't major in education when it comes to vacations & Christmas shopping. Her degree plan & salary has nothing to do with my career path. Just makes me laugh how it's all standardized. To me, all going to Colgate tells me is there's about a 90% chance you went to ________________ Prep Daddy Academy & have no idea how to change a tire with your own hands, skin a buck or answer an elderly woman "yes ma'am or no ma'am."

Don't get me wrong, just like everyone else has theirs, this is just my little old opinion....but as a father of 2 boys I know which type of men I want to hand off to the world one day...I'd rather see my kiddos dig in & work hard rather than ride mommy or daddy's coattail.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnddddddd...... back to FOOTBALL

Lehigh Football Nation
December 15th, 2015, 10:54 AM
To me, all going to Colgate tells me is there's about a 90% chance you went to ________________ Prep Daddy Academy & have no idea how to change a tire with your own hands, skin a buck or answer an elderly woman "yes ma'am or no ma'am."

I can say there's a 100% chance you're wrong about that.

Nickels
December 15th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I always laugh at the comparisons of one school's academics vs another. As if averaging everyone's starting salary from all fields somehow gives me a gauge on my standard of living. Sam Houston pumps out a lot of public servants such as law enforcement & educators who, like my wife, go straight into that field & never plan on getting out. Although she's worked her way into an administrative role at her school, starting at $50k/yr sure does skew the average for Sam Houston. We were also 1st time college students within our families - my mom worked hard to put my brother & I through college & with her savings + 2 years worth of scholarships, I was able to graduate debt free (minus a few bar tabs @ the Jolly Fox).

Having said that, I majored in business, not education. My wife likes my compensation a lot more than hers and she's glad I didn't major in education when it comes to vacations & Christmas shopping. Her degree plan & salary has nothing to do with my career path. Just makes me laugh how it's all standardized. To me, all going to Colgate tells me is there's about a 90% chance you went to ________________ Prep Daddy Academy & have no idea how to change a tire with your own hands, skin a buck or answer an elderly woman "yes ma'am or no ma'am."

Don't get me wrong, just like everyone else has theirs, this is just my little old opinion....but as a father of 2 boys I know which type of men I want to hand off to the world one day...I'd rather see my kiddos dig in & work hard rather than ride mommy or daddy's coattail.

Daddy's little prep school dweebs aren't even bright enough to calculate COL figures associated with the different locations into their one number success scale.

Go...gate
December 15th, 2015, 01:29 PM
A few months? xeyebrowxI thought you Colgate people were supposed to be smart...UD hasn't had anything good to post about in several years.

Brock has us on track for 2031 and he likes where we're going. Apparently, he was a plumber in his previous life.

Even so, we still beat you guys last year and destroyed UNH this year while you guys edged them. Heck, if UD was in the Patriot League, we'd have been in the playoffs this year, but that and 6.93 will get you 21 divided by 3.

Say WHAT????

YoUDeeMan
December 15th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Say WHAT????

Meh...he's been here three years and has a worse record each year. And we are keeping him. xlolx

Brock says he is "building" his team, his way. Given his declining W-L record, and the fact that he was quoted as being happy with the direction we're headed (mind you, we did finish first in the race to the bottom of passing yards per game...even lower than the TO offenses), it should only take Brock another decade or two in order to get things right. xthumbsupx

Gate83
December 15th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Man, you folks all need to relax. Gate lost a football game, SHU was better. Hopefully we'll be back next year. Clucky is having fun tweaking you boys. Did I miss anything? Can we move on?

Daytripper
December 16th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Man, you folks all need to relax. Gate lost a football game, SHU was better. Hopefully we'll be back next year. Clucky is having fun tweaking you boys. Did I miss anything? Can we move on?

The voice of reason. We have two great games this weekend. Let's focus on that.

Go...gate
December 16th, 2015, 08:16 PM
The voice of reason. We have two great games this weekend. Let's focus on that.

Good luck to you guys. Go all the way!

ngineer
December 16th, 2015, 08:27 PM

Generalizations get you nowhere. Yes a number of PL alums went to prep schools and have had their asses wiped forever...However, there are many of us who worked in ditches and foundries in the summer in order to attend the same schools. We don't need a lecture on what work is. I do agree this a football board, and that is what we should be debating. SHSU has an impressive team and I expect a great game with JSU. Being a Lehigh alum, I have an aversion for Keeler due to his blue chicken connections, otherwise, I'd be rooting for ya!

Daytripper
December 17th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Generalizations get you nowhere. Yes a number of PL alums went to prep schools and have had their asses wiped forever...However, there are many of us who worked in ditches and foundries in the summer in order to attend the same schools. We don't need a lecture on what work is. I do agree this a football board, and that is what we should be debating. SHSU has an impressive team and I expect a great game with JSU. Being a Lehigh alum, I have an aversion for Keeler due to his blue chicken connections, otherwise, I'd be rooting for ya!

Agree. Generalizations are a substitute for critical thinking and empathy. Just a lazy person's way of thinking.

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2015, 06:36 AM
I think Colgate had a great season. But does Colgate's style of play lend itself to a extended playoff run where, for example, others would not?

Five PL teams have made the playoffs. Bucknell might some day. (If Georgetown ever did, the PL would be in turmoil.) With a coaching change at Fordham, a possible changing of the guard at Lafayette, and inconsistent play under Tom Gilmore at Holy Cross, the PL might be moving back into to a cycle where Colgate and Lehigh are the most likely playoff contenders.

Go...gate
December 17th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Can we quit with the insulting generalities about Prep Schools, their students and graduates?

I am a proud graduate (and subsequently a member of the Board of Trustees) at a Prep School. My parents worked hard and sacrificed to send me there and I was grateful for the opportunity. The academic challenge was highly difficult and the faculty (and coaches) kicked (not wiped) our asses to get the best out of us, while mentoring us in a wholesome way. Hard work, discipline, honesty, integrity, modesty and good citizenship were demanded - and received. It was a very important experience in my life and has paid tremendous dividends on numerous levels ever since.

Go...gate
December 17th, 2015, 02:50 PM
And enough about the comparative academics issue, too. That is a horsebleep way to approach things. The whole point of ALL education - wherever from - is to broaden the mind and perspective, and to use those gifts in a productive way as a person, citizen, businessperson, family member, community leader, whatever. I know a number of people from Ivy, Patriot and NESCAC schools who sadly did not get that memorandum, and it only reinforces the principle that it is what one does with their talents by hard work, persistence and integrity that tells the tale as to one's success and happiness in life.

ngineer
December 17th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Can we quit with the insulting generalities about Prep Schools, their students and graduates?

I am a proud graduate (and subsequently a member of the Board of Trustees) at a Prep School. My parents worked hard and sacrificed to send me there and I was grateful for the opportunity. The academic challenge was highly difficult and the faculty (and coaches) kicked (not wiped) our asses to get the best out of us, while mentoring us in a wholesome way. Hard work, discipline, honesty, integrity, modesty and good citizenship were demanded - and received. It was a very important experience in my life and has paid tremendous dividends in my life ever since on numerous levels.

Touche. Unfortunately, I was reacting to my own experience with too many kids from very well-to-do families who had most things just given to them, and then abused and just replaced when damaged without repercussion. Most of us are creations of our environment. Good point.

Bearkat-Backer
December 18th, 2015, 11:10 AM
And enough about the comparative academics issue, too. That is a horsebleep way to approach things. The whole point of ALL education - wherever from - is to broaden the mind and perspective, and to use those gifts in a productive way as a person, citizen, businessperson, family member, community leader, whatever. I know a number of people from Ivy, Patriot and NESCAC schools who sadly did not get that memorandum, and it only reinforces the principle that it is what one does with their talents by hard work, persistence and integrity that tells the tale as to one's success and happiness in life.

Very well said.