PDA

View Full Version : London Olympic's 2012

Gil Dobie
July 6th, 2005, 07:59 AM
The Frenchy's lose out again.

London was selected as the host city for the 2012 summer Olympic Games on Wednesday, after this report was published. The report has been updated to reflect that London was chosen over Paris in the final round, and it also includes the run-up to the voting

London 2012 Link (http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=>>>ForeignBureaus>>>archive>>>200507>>>FOR20050706c.html)

buckp
July 6th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Wonder if the comments by French President Jacques Chirac that were made the other day about Britian and Finland (there are two Fins on the voting committee) really had anything to do with the decision... ;)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39215000/jpg/_39215132_chirac_story_ap.jpg
"Pardonnez-moi, je suis stupide" :eek:

Ivytalk
July 6th, 2005, 09:18 AM
There was a bit on GMA today about Chirac and other Frenchmen insulting British cuisine as the final Olympic vote approached. Talk about poor judgment! Anyway, I'm happy for London.

Proud Griz Man
July 6th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Did risk of significant terrorism cross anyones mind when they heard New York City applying for the Olympic Games? :(

Marcus Garvey
July 6th, 2005, 09:43 AM
NYC's attempt to get the '12 games was half-a$$ed from the start. They NEVER should have attempted a stadium in Manhattan. I think from the get-go, a stadium in Queens, Flushing in particular, was the way to go. But they let the Jets drive the stadium issue. I don't know why, but the Jets are insisting ONLY in playing in Manhattan. If the NYOC had told them to take a flying leap months ago, then their bid would have been in much better shape.

The real loser in this is the Jets. Instead of working toward a modern stadium in the city (i.e., Queens), they'll continue to be the poor cousins of North Jersey, destined to be the Giants' tennants. Frankly, they deserve this.

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Heard the vote was 54-50 in favor of London over Paris.

I was not surprised how things broke down. I figured Moscow would be first to go, then NYC followed by Madrid. None of those cities had a chance at getting it. NYC's bid fell apart on the stadium, though if they did have a nice stadium deal, they may have gotten no higher than third. With Vancouver hosting 2010 Winter Games, why do North America in 2012?

Early cities for 2016 will be interesting. I assume we'll see a USOC bid again, whether it from NYC, Houston or San Fransisco. Madrid and Paris are out til atleast 2020 because they won't go back to Europe for a Summer for atleast eight years. I wish a South American or African country would throw their hat in. Doubtful.

2014 Winter Games has potential candidates Grenoble (France), Jaca (Spain), Sarajevo (former Yugoslavia), Tromsoe (Norway) and possibly a US bid (which would be stupid considering Vancouver in 2010).

89Hen
July 6th, 2005, 10:44 AM
With Vancouver hosting 2010 Winter Games, why do North America in 2012?

We're actually well behind pace for North America in the last 17 years...

1976 Summer - Montreal
1980 Winter - Lake Placid
1984 Summer - Los Angeles
1988 Winter - Calgary

1996 Summer - Atlanta
2002 Winter - Salt Lake City

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2005, 11:00 AM
We're well behind because the face of the Olympic Games has changed. Asian countries (well just Japan and China) have gotten the games and Australia has gotten the games. These were unusual things and also, Lillehammer, Norway shocked all in 1994. Remember that one? The IOC President didn't even practice saying that one before the announcement...