PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville U. football at a crossroads?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2015, 08:19 AM
http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-11-30/story/what-kerwin-bells-future-ju#.VlxQvrJzG24.facebook

Once the PFL banned the Dolphins in July from being championship-eligible this season, Cost was forced to deal with varying feedback from the school’s 32-member Board of Trustees about football’s future.

JU ultimately entertained three options: standing pat with non-scholarship football, committing to the major investment of a scholarship program and possibly joining the Big South Conference, or the extreme measure of dropping football.

“We looked at everything, but there’s no groundswell of interest or pressure in any way for us to make changes to the football program in either direction, whether it’s to not play football or go up to full scholarship FCS,” Cost said. “With the sanctions put on us the last two years, people were absolutely well within their rights to ask the hard questions.”

Cost says JU has decided to continue playing in the non-scholarship PFL for the foreseeable future, without closing the door on Bell’s long-standing desire to eventually move up to scholarship football.

“We’re comfortable staying in the PFL for a year or two, then see how conference alignment goes and revisit it later,” said JU athletics officer Donnie Horner. “It makes perfect sense.”

But with Bell’s contract issue still in limbo, after months of speculation that JU might be looking to reduce a salary package believed to be worth about $250,000 per year, Dolphins’ players and coaches are concerned about the program’s direction.

“I would think that’s a fair assessment,” said defensive coordinator Jerry Odom. “We don’t know what’s going to happen with Kerwin [Bell]. That’s none of my business. But for a lot of us around Thanksgiving and Christmas, it’s not fun being in a holding pattern.”

The surprising thing to me, and something that has to be a concern, is the "no groundswell of support" line for Big South football membership.

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Aim "higher".....Sunbelt. Benson's pants will swell when he thinks about Jacksonville, FL.

DFW HOYA
November 30th, 2015, 08:25 AM
But with Bell’s contract issue still in limbo, after months of speculation that JU might be looking to reduce a salary package believed to be worth about $250,000 per year, Dolphins’ players and coaches are concerned about the program’s direction.

Bell makes $250K a year? That's more than most I-AA coaches regardless of scholarships.

The larger issue is less about JU and more about the viability of the Big South.

ccd494
November 30th, 2015, 08:51 AM
I think this decision makes perfect sense for JU if they aren't going to drop football.

At the FCS level, it's nice to win. Winning puts butts in the seats because the local alums like to come out, have a good time and see their team win. But it doesn't really matter if you go 9-2 with a home schedule against Morehead State, Stetson, Edward Waters, Davidson and Valparaiso or 9-2 with a home schedule against scholarship FCS teams. Both groups are unrecognizable to casual fans (except Davidson and Valpo which have some hoops cachet).

You don't make more money as an FCS school by going to the playoffs and being competitive. You don't make more money by being a better team but losing more games against a better schedule. You, honestly, don't make money unless you are Montana or NDSU. So why not just do what you are doing? Your alums get to come out five times a year, stay engaged with the school, and see the team win. That's really all any FCS school has any right to expect.

I used to look down on the SWAC and Ivies for not playing in the playoffs. But honestly, at this point I think they are doing it right. Our schools are already FCS because they expressly chose not to have grand, national ambitions for their football programs. Why not embrace it and just treat it as it is- a diversion to keep your local fanbase engaged. Whether your school goes on the road in the playoffs and gets shellacked or not is immaterial.

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2015, 08:57 AM
I think this decision makes perfect sense for JU if they aren't going to drop football.

At the FCS level, it's nice to win. Winning puts butts in the seats because the local alums like to come out, have a good time and see their team win. But it doesn't really matter if you go 9-2 with a home schedule against Morehead State, Stetson, Edward Waters, Davidson and Valparaiso or 9-2 with a home schedule against scholarship FCS teams. Both groups are unrecognizable to casual fans (except Davidson and Valpo which have some hoops cachet).

You don't make more money as an FCS school by going to the playoffs and being competitive. You don't make more money by being a better team but losing more games against a better schedule. You, honestly, don't make money unless you are Montana or NDSU. So why not just do what you are doing? Your alums get to come out five times a year, stay engaged with the school, and see the team win. That's really all any FCS school has any right to expect.

I used to look down on the SWAC and Ivies for not playing in the playoffs. But honestly, at this point I think they are doing it right. Our schools are already FCS because they expressly chose not to have grand, national ambitions for their football programs. Why not embrace it and just treat it as it is- a diversion to keep your local fanbase engaged. Whether your school goes on the road in the playoffs and gets shellacked or not is immaterial.

Football CHAMPIONSHIP Subdivision. Maybe it is definitely time to start booting some of these rec league teams....you can advertise intramural football to your alums instead.

ccd494
November 30th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Football CHAMPIONSHIP Subdivision. Maybe it is definitely time to start booting some of these rec league teams....you can advertise intramural football to your alums instead.

I've never understood the (in this case, nouveau riche) teams at the top of the division clamoring to eject teams from the subdivision. What does it matter to you what the PFL or Ivy League or SWAC or MEAC does? You still get to play for your JV championship, you still get to play a full MVFC slate, you still get to play home playoff games. If a team you are never going to play chooses not to play in the playoffs, what skin is it off your back? Or even if the team is in the playoffs (like the PFL champ), so what? Do you not get a championship trophy if Dayton is in the playoffs and North Dakota isn't?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2015, 12:43 PM
It sure seems like Jax is waiting for even more to happen to the Big South before they commit to full scholly football there. Do they not want to be in that conference as long as Liberty is there? It seems like a valid question to ask because technically a "spot" is opening up with Coastal's departure.

mvemjsunpx
November 30th, 2015, 01:18 PM
The surprising thing to me, and something that has to be a concern, is the "no groundswell of support" line for Big South football membership.

Probably because their "stadium" is basically just a track cut out of a grass field & little else.

walliver
November 30th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Jacksonville is in a tricky situation. They would be a geographic outlier in any scholarship FCS conference other than the MEAC.

A home schedule of CSU, PC, GWU, Kennesaw, Monmouth and Liberty is not going to be particularly more interesting than their Pioneer schedule. In addition, Liberty wants out, Monmouth is generally seen as a temporary member, and a number of us question KSU's long-term goals.

More importantly, they will need extensive capital improvements to compete, and, from the article, it is not clear if there is an adequate institutional commitment to allocate enough resources. Jacksonville is where Charleston Southern was in 1991. Without adequate resources, CSU struggled for the next two decades. Unless the Dolphins are willing to pony up money for a new stadium, they need to stay where they are.

DFW HOYA
November 30th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Probably because their "stadium" is basically just a track cut out of a grass field & little else.

Not any more.

http://www.judolphins.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/20140910892ead

kdinva
November 30th, 2015, 01:59 PM

Jacksonville still needs more seating besides the new "addition".......

walliver
November 30th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Not any more.

They sell beer at the games, so that makes it more attractive already.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2015, 02:08 PM
If Jacksonville decides to pass on scholarship football, these guys could very will step in and start it:

http://unffootball.com/

clenz
November 30th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Not any more.

Barely

http://cdn87.psbin.com/img/mw=500/mh=450/cr=n/d=q5bio/mshjt1g1w87rkz7w.jpg

clenz
November 30th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Not any more.

Barely

http://cdn87.psbin.com/img/mw=500/mh=450/cr=n/d=q5bio/mshjt1g1w87rkz7w.jpg

Great sight lines
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f8/DBMilne_Field.jpg/1920px-DBMilne_Field.jpg

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Clenz, I think your picture is of the old stadium, but yes their joint now looks like an average high school stadium.

Very surprised Bell is still there. He is a good coach.

Southsider
November 30th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I've never understood the (in this case, nouveau riche) teams at the top of the division clamoring to eject teams from the subdivision. What does it matter to you what the PFL or Ivy League or SWAC or MEAC does? You still get to play for your JV championship, you still get to play a full MVFC slate, you still get to play home playoff games. If a team you are never going to play chooses not to play in the playoffs, what skin is it off your back? Or even if the team is in the playoffs (like the PFL champ), so what? Do you not get a championship trophy if Dayton is in the playoffs and North Dakota isn't?

I nominate this as "Post of the Year" xbowx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2015, 12:03 PM
“We’re comfortable staying in the PFL for a year or two, then see how conference alignment goes and revisit it later,” said JU athletics officer Donnie Horner. “It makes perfect sense.”

Translation: "We're happy to let the Big South twist in the wind over Liberty while waiting for them to exit FCS. Once they do, the Big South will practically beg us and Stetson to join."

clenz
December 1st, 2015, 12:07 PM
Translation: "We're happy to let the Big South twist in the wind over Liberty while waiting for them to exit FCS. Once they do, the Big South will practically beg us and Stetson to join."
That's kind of what I took from that.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 1st, 2015, 12:39 PM
If Jacksonville decides to pass on scholarship football, these guys could very will step in and start it:

http://unffootball.com/

Saw their website, they have a realistic plan but will have to cut their teeth in the Pioneer/Big South/SoCon for a few years before even thinking about moving on up.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 1st, 2015, 12:41 PM
As far as I am concerned, they need to do what they can to keep Bell as their head coach. I believe a number of schools would kill to have him as their head coach.

walliver
December 1st, 2015, 01:09 PM
Saw their website, they have a realistic plan but will have to cut their teeth in the Pioneer/Big South/SoCon for a few years before even thinking about moving on up.

EverBank field is used to thousands of empty seats at every game, so UNF will fit right in.

Unfortunately, I would see UNF as more like a new Georgia State.

Their planned 1st year schedule is impressive (but quite delusional):
http://unffootball.com/schedule/index.html

ST_Lawson
December 1st, 2015, 01:59 PM
EverBank field is used to thousands of empty seats at every game, so UNF will fit right in.

Well, it does look like it's essentially one random fan's fantasy about what could be if UNF started up football.
I could put together a website like this that would look more "official" outlining Western Illinois' plans to move to FBS, but it still ain't gonna happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2015, 02:10 PM
Mars Colony wishes nonwithstanding, UNF does appear to have some stuff going for it in regards to sponsoring a D-I football program. They seem institutionally more like a Kennesaw State than a Florida-Gulf Coast.

REALBird
December 1st, 2015, 02:28 PM

I started my response by outlining how even if it's just a shell game the FBS teams are at least all on the same page in terms of "buy-in" to the Bowl System, and now the College Football Playoff. At some point, they'll make this miraculous discovery after stringing along the teams "left out", and the CFB playoffs will expand to 8, then 16 and ultimately 24. I'm certain it will look a lot like what FCS and the NCAA has done, just with more corporate sponsorship and hype. All of the FBS schools are committed to the 85 scholarships. Now don't get me wrong, there are still schools on the fence about FCOA, those that split scholarships between kids.....but overall they all provide scholarships to compete at that level.

THAT is where I see the fracturing of the FCS. No consistency. Some conferences Ivy, PFL don't offer scholarships. Some offer partial scholarships. So offer the full 63 scholarships, some offer 45 or whatever odd number they decide sounds right. At least one of those non-scholly conferences was fortunate enough to have a commissioner who helped them get an auto-bid, which many on this board openly question them deserving.

The Ivies only play Northeast schools, and themselves. They don't and WON'T participate in the FCS playoffs, yet yearly a few Ivy fans complain about "respect" and "rankings". The MEAC gave up it's auto-bid to partner with the SWAC to play in the Heritage Classic (Soul Bowl) annually.......(don't flame me, I'm African-American) xlolx

When you say "You still get to play for your JV" championship. That says to me that you're OK with not fielding a competitive team. You're OK with not playing or competing against the MVFC, Big Sky, Southland, SoCon, OVC, CAA, etc,.

My question is "Why Play FCS football if you don't want to be in the playoffs?"

The answer: If we don't play Division I football, we can't play Division I basketball.

Strange the Ivies don't want any part of the FCS playoffs in Football, but want to be a part of the NCAA Tournament in Basketball. It infers that the only reason they even play football is because they've always played football, and dropping the program isn't a viable option. How else would these guys blow off steam between becoming politicians and future CEO's? Dropping to D-II or D-III keeps you from playing D-I basketball. Plus who else would they play if they didn't have the option of a few NEC, Patriot and CAA teams?

For those of us, like myself who wants to see his school and team compete at the highest level. I have no problem if you want to remain FCS football for the sake of D-1 Basketball. But stop pretending that you want to compete. Stop asking for respect when you don't want to play or pay the price to be mentioned in the same breath. Just call it what it is and say, we play for fun and bragging rights amongst our fellow peers.

At the end of the day, those schools are just using the loophole that allows them to keep playing football for the sake of big time college basketball exposure.

ST_Lawson
December 1st, 2015, 02:38 PM
Mars Colony wishes nonwithstanding, UNF does appear to have some stuff going for it in regards to sponsoring a D-I football program. They seem institutionally more like a Kennesaw State than a Florida-Gulf Coast.

Sure, I could absolutely see them starting up football, just not at the level that the website posted earlier is suggesting (at least, not for quite a few years). If they really want to eventually be FBS, go the Coastal Carolina route...start up at the FCS level, join a decent regional conference (Big South, likely), if they get some success and decent buy-in from alumni and other donors/sponsors, then pursue an invite to the Sun Belt (or if they're really ambitious, maybe CUSA or the AAC...although I don't see the other Florida schools wanting someone else imposing on their "turf" for recruiting and audience).

bonarae
December 1st, 2015, 08:25 PM

Aren't you forgetting about the NESCAC, who plays NO OOC games each season and hence they pull themselves out of the Road to Salem? xconfusedx

Post of the Year indeed. So what do you guys need from us fans of such schools you want to be ejected from? The FCS needs top-to-bottom reform, especially in the playoffs department. xtwocentsx

Model Citizen
December 2nd, 2015, 09:47 PM
Sounds like the relatively new president and AD have passive-agressive tendancies.

They postpone a *real* decision on football for another two years...meanwhile the head coach and his recruiters will have to operate under the cloud of JU possibly dropping the sport.

On top of that, those "Leadership Scholarships" that got JU in trouble with their league will still be offered to upperclassmen, meaning the Dolphins still can't win the PFL. Bell won't stick around for this horror show.

The administation's actions will scare off recruits and ensure they get a less capable head coach. In two years, they may claim justification to euthanize the program.

DFW HOYA
December 2nd, 2015, 10:15 PM
At the end of the day, those schools are just using the loophole that allows them to keep playing football for the sake of big time college basketball exposure.

No one is playing football just for the sake of basketball. One does not require the other.

bonarae
December 3rd, 2015, 01:13 AM
A Southern version of BU/Northeastern/Hofstra in the making?

We'll revisit this thread once Jacksonville does drop.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2015, 03:05 PM
Per other thread, Kerwin Bell has parted ways with Jacksonville. This is unconfirmed, but not good news if true.

Official: http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-12-03/story/kerwin-bell-out-jacksonville-university

dgtw
December 3rd, 2015, 04:06 PM
Bell didn't sound happy.

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2015, 06:47 PM
Jacksonville can call it what they wanted, but Bell was dismissed because the school lacks any vision of what scholarship football could mean for that school and that community.

Not a ringing endorsement for the PFL.

Model Citizen
December 3rd, 2015, 08:48 PM
The PFL could also use a dose of vision. Exhibit A is the story behind the league's name. After 23 years, the Pioneer remains little more than a scheduling alliance.

Pards Rule
December 4th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Kudos for Coach Bell for calling out JU. There are too many examples where employees (not necessarily coaches) slink away into the night after the admin or corporation really mishandled it/did them wrong. They need to be blasted.

Libertine
December 4th, 2015, 07:34 AM
In possibly related news, Ian Shields, the head coach at D2 Lenoir-Rhyne has resigned to take a head coaching position at an unspecified FCS program. Austin Peay seems his most likely destination but, given how long the Jacksonville admin has been slow-playing this, JU would make a logical landing spot as well.

http://www.hickoryrecord.com/sports/lenoir-rhyne-football-coach-resigns/article_f98a7c16-9a17-11e5-b3aa-236ed48c3069.html

Model Citizen
December 4th, 2015, 08:35 AM
A popular theory among Davidson fans is that the triple option could help the Wildcats compete with bigger teams. Ian Shields could be the answer.

Paul Nichols may be out as HC at Davidson, even though no announcement has been made.

Model Citizen
December 4th, 2015, 09:59 AM
On the other hand, I see that the JU athletic director and Shields worked together at Army...

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 4th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Per other thread, Kerwin Bell has parted ways with Jacksonville. This is unconfirmed, but not good news if true.

Official: http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-12-03/story/kerwin-bell-out-jacksonville-university

Ladies and gentlemen, Tim Cost and Donnie Horner are to Jacksonville what Paul Stanton and Dave Mullins were to ETSU.

Libertine
December 4th, 2015, 08:31 PM
And it's done. Ian Shields is the new head coach at Jacksonville University.

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop

Given the timing of the situation, this means that Horner strung Kerwin Bell along about his contract just long enough to find Bell's replacement. Not a good look, Jacksonville.

Libertine
December 27th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Now, the lawyers are involved. Obviously, not all is well in DolphinLand.

More than a dozen football players have sought releases to transfer without any restrictions for the 2016 season, some of which were granted. But at least three freshmen — offensive lineman Justin Auer and receivers Emoni Williams and Austin Leach — are prepared to pursue legal action if JU continues to deny them a release.

Interesting and possibly telling quote here:

Jackson told the Times-Union that his clients, whom he declined to identify except for Stokes, felt betrayed by Horner and JU because they were led to believe during recruiting the school would start providing athletic financial aid in the 2016-17 academic year. JU denies that claim. Jackson has been in communication with the school’s general counsel, Mark Alexander, since sending JU a notice of representation on his clients’ behalf.
“These players want the ability to transfer into a scholarship-granting program without any restriction,” said Jackson. “The reality is they were recruited under a set of facts that turned out to be not factual at all. The fundamental issue is when they were recruited to JU, it was based on 2016-17 onward being a scholarship football program.
http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-12-23/story/multiple-ju-football-players-seek-legal-help

Fox 94
December 27th, 2015, 08:03 PM
They shaould have played by the agreed upon league rules. I think they are ineligible for the PFL title until 2019 or such.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Model Citizen
December 28th, 2015, 08:18 AM
They shaould have played by the agreed upon league rules. I think they are ineligible for the PFL title until 2019 or such.

It seems that they are now eligible for the title again, despite continuing to offer impermissible "leadership scholarships." Looking back, I see it was reported that the league is allowing prior recipients of that scholarship to continue receiving it for as long as they're at JU. There will be no additional penalties. Something about not wanting to punish the kids and their families.

Eligible or not, a combination of people transferring out and change to the triple option will probably keep them from winning a title until sometime after 2019.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 28th, 2015, 11:29 AM
It seems that they are now eligible for the title again, despite continuing to offer impermissible "leadership scholarships." Looking back, I see it was reported that the league is allowing prior recipients of that scholarship to continue receiving it for as long as they're at JU. There will be no additional penalties. Something about not wanting to punish the kids and their families.

Eligible or not, a combination of people transferring out and change to the triple option will probably keep them from winning a title until sometime after 2019.

What a mismanaged mess from everyone involved.

DFW HOYA
December 28th, 2015, 11:45 AM
What a mismanaged mess from everyone involved.

This seems to be standard procedure from the PFL, which unfortunately is taking a cue from how the MAAC ran things: enforcement was more important than competition.

hebmskebm
December 28th, 2015, 12:15 PM
It's interesting to see many of the Pro/Anti PFL arguments people have been having here on AGS being played out publicly in real life. If the student athletes were truly misled about the program's intentions by the JU administration, they need to clean house.

Model Citizen
December 28th, 2015, 12:49 PM
House has been cleaned. These are new administrators, from the president down.

I disagree that too much emphasis has been placed on enforcement. How much is too much, anyway? Why have rules if you selectively ignore them? In this case, the PFL really has only one rule, and it is the basis for the league's existence. JU had cheated since 2008. No one is going to let that pass.

The league reps were actually super lenient on allowing the scholarships to continue this year. Think about how the NCAA would have handled Florida giving 100 scholarships, instead of 85, for the past seven years. Would they be allowing current players to finish school on those extra scholarships for the sake of getting their degrees?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 28th, 2015, 01:51 PM
House has been cleaned. These are new administrators, from the president down.

I disagree that too much emphasis has been placed on enforcement. How much is too much, anyway? Why have rules if you selectively ignore them? In this case, the PFL really has only one rule, and it is the basis for the league's existence. JU had cheated since 2008. No one is going to let that pass.

The league reps were actually super lenient on allowing the scholarships to continue this year. Think about how the NCAA would have handled Florida giving 100 scholarships, instead of 85, for the past seven years. Would they be allowing current players to finish school on those extra scholarships for the sake of getting their degrees?

The difference is UF offering 100 scholarships instead of 85 violates NCAA rules. JU offering leadership scholarships is legal within D-I and the NCAA, and even then the impermissibility of it is dicey, too. For example, if a certain percent of non-FB players also had the same leadership scholarships, it would have been perfectly legal.

Model Citizen
December 28th, 2015, 02:18 PM
if a certain percent of non-FB players also had the same leadership scholarships, it would have been perfectly legal.

No. You may be confusing an auditing technique with the rule itself. The rule is no financial aid based on athletic participation. Simple, not dicey.

dgtw
December 28th, 2015, 02:51 PM
If I am the PFL, I tell JU if this happens again, they are kicked out and nobody in the league will be allowed to schedule them for ten years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccd494
December 28th, 2015, 02:58 PM
It's interesting to see many of the Pro/Anti PFL arguments people have been having here on AGS being played out publicly in real life. If the student athletes were truly misled about the program's intentions by the JU administration, they need to clean house.

How does the coach get a pass here? The administrators weren't the ones out talking to prospective athletes. The coaches were.

hebmskebm
December 28th, 2015, 03:05 PM
How does the coach get a pass here? The administrators weren't the ones out talking to prospective athletes. The coaches were.

Former HC Kerwin Bell has intimated he was misled by the JU administration about the future of the program. It's the main reason he's no longer coach there; he vocally wanted scholarships, thought he was going to get them soon (and recruited with that mindset), and then had the door shut.

DFW HOYA
December 28th, 2015, 03:23 PM
If I am the PFL, I tell JU if this happens again, they are kicked out and nobody in the league will be allowed to schedule them for ten years.

If I was Jacksonville, I'd laugh. Patty Viverito couldn't get anyone in the PFL to follow such a rule. Besides, the Big South would be waiting on line one.

ccd494
December 28th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Former HC Kerwin Bell has intimated he was misled by the JU administration about the future of the program. It's the main reason he's no longer coach there; he vocally wanted scholarships, thought he was going to get them soon (and recruited with that mindset), and then had the door shut.

So he promised kids scholarships without an announced, or written, plan to introduce them?

dgtw
December 28th, 2015, 04:31 PM
If I was Jacksonville, I'd laugh. Patty Viverito couldn't get anyone in the PFL to follow such a rule. Besides, the Big South would be waiting on line one.

How could they compete in the Big South without offering scholarships?

DFW HOYA
December 28th, 2015, 05:52 PM
How could they compete in the Big South without offering scholarships?

By adding schoalrships faster than you could say "Mercer University Football."

What's the realistic future in the PFL for Jacksonville?

Model Citizen
December 28th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Not that fast. Mercer had much more fan support and a sharper athletic dept. Now Mercer has the SoCon slot that JU wanted.

Does Jacksonville really want to be in a North Carolina-based conference? The motivation would be to change conferences for all sports. And as messed up as the Atlantic Sun is, it's a mostly Florida conference.

According to the Jax newspaper, offers have already been made by the Big South (obviously declined). Can't see JU changing its mind...that would be a money losing proposition. If JU becomes disenchanted with the PFL, I think they would drop football before pouring millions down the drain.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 28th, 2015, 11:09 PM
So he promised kids scholarships without an announced, or written, plan to introduce them?

If your boss tells you "hey, you can offer this much for a new manager in your department" are you not gonna trust it? Holy Christ, it seems pretty obvious what is going on there if you've been watching the stories as they have been popping up. He left because he said he was lied to over this. You can rely on information given to you by a superior and make your moves based on that I would think.

dgtw
December 29th, 2015, 06:26 AM
By adding schoalrships faster than you could say "Mercer University Football."

What's the realistic future in the PFL for Jacksonville?

So why aren't they offering them now?

I agree they are at a geographic disadvantage when it comes to FCS. Even in the SoCon, Atlanta and Birmingham are a long drive.

walliver
December 29th, 2015, 09:56 AM
So why aren't they offering them now?

I agree they are at a geographic disadvantage when it comes to FCS. Even in the SoCon, Atlanta and Birmingham are a long drive.

The SoCon has traditionally had some long rides such as Statesboro to Huntington, Statesboro to Lexington, and even now Birmingham to Lexington.
Jacksonville wouldn't be much more of a ride than VMI.

Mercer spent the big bucks and built a modern football stadium and hired a proven experienced FCS coach. I doubt they had plans of staying in the PFL (or A-Sun) for long. From what I can see, Jacksonville either doesn't have, or is unwilling to commit, the capital needed to make a realistic jump.

The Big South will take just about anybody. With CCU leaving, Monmouth out in 2 years, Liberty wanting to leave, and KSU's long-term ambitions debatable, the Big South's auto bid is in jeopardy. I just don't see Jacksonville wanting in if they can stay in the PFL (at least Stetson is nearby).

LeopardBall10
December 29th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I just don't see Jacksonville wanting in if they can stay in the PFL (at least Stetson is nearby).What about Stetson? Any talk of them wanting to move up in the FCS world?

Model Citizen
December 29th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Depends a lot on what Jacksonville does.

DFW HOYA
December 29th, 2015, 01:24 PM
The Big South will take just about anybody. With CCU leaving, Monmouth out in 2 years, Liberty wanting to leave, and KSU's long-term ambitions debatable, the Big South's auto bid is in jeopardy. I just don't see Jacksonville wanting in if they can stay in the PFL (at least Stetson is nearby).

Where is Monmouth going?

kdinva
December 29th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Where is Monmouth going?

N E C ?

walliver
December 29th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Where is Monmouth going?

I don't know where they're going, but they only had a four year commitment. I guess there is nothing to prevent them from staying.

aceinthehole
December 29th, 2015, 02:13 PM
N E C ?

No.

1) NEC is a limited scholarship conference (40) and Monmouth has been offering enough to be a bowl counter (57+).

2) The NEC denied Monmouth affiliate status when the Hawks withdrew from the NEC to join the MAAC for all sports.

I just don't see Monmouth leaving the Big South unless the Patriot League (not likely) or CAA (even less likely) offered them a spot. They will likely stick around until something better comes along - and there is no timetable for that.

Go...gate
December 29th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Because the PL and CAA allow Associate Members for Football, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Monmouth might seek affiliation with those conferences.

Bill
December 30th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Because the PL and CAA allow Associate Members for Football, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Monmouth might seek affiliation with those conferences.
Can't wait to see how Monmouth would deal with the AI. I don't think it would benefit the PL to have them. No disrespect meant towards Monmouth , but they would be recruiting at the deep end of the academic talent pool....I think they hand around until something better comes their way.

Model Citizen
December 31st, 2015, 07:51 AM
Isn't the AI based on a particular school's admissions, not everyone else's?

DFW HOYA
December 31st, 2015, 09:29 AM
Isn't the AI based on a particular school's admissions, not everyone else's?

Yes. The league has a common floor but the bands are especially tight at the top of the SAT spectrum, primarily Georgetown, where the class of 2020 SAT range is 690-770 CR, 700-770 M. By contrast, Fordham's range is 570-670 and 580-670, so an upper band prospect at Fordham may not even be available for Georgetown to recruit in its lower band.

This one factor, more than any stadium or scholarship, is the PL's institutional firewall against Georgetown being a competitive PL program.

Model Citizen
December 31st, 2015, 09:40 AM
I'm guessing that floor wouldn't be too much of a problem for Monmouth.

mmiller_34
December 31st, 2015, 01:42 PM

This was a great read. My favorite part was the "possible coaches" section.

dgtw
December 31st, 2015, 09:24 PM

If that guy really thinks they would host Florida, he needs to be tested for CTE.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 22nd, 2016, 09:30 AM
Kerwin Bell landed on his feet... and now can offer scholarships.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/2016-01-21/story/source-former-ju-coach-kerwin-bell-lead-valdosta-state

BisonFan02
January 22nd, 2016, 10:43 AM

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/2016-01-21/story/source-former-ju-coach-kerwin-bell-lead-valdosta-state

That is an upgrade over Jacksonville. Good for him!

Laker
January 22nd, 2016, 12:10 PM

Valdosta is the team that beat MSU in Mankato in the D2 semis. We had a 10-0 lead but got worn down in the second half. They went on to destroy Winston-Salem in the finals.

The day after the game in Mankato there was a huge snowstorm. I couldn't get out of my driveway. Thirty miles away they had over 18 inches of snow. VSU was glad to get out of town.

ST_Lawson
January 22nd, 2016, 02:12 PM
That is an upgrade over Jacksonville. Good for him!

And only about 2 hours down the highway from where he was. As coaching moves go, that's practically right next door.

Catsfan90
January 23rd, 2016, 01:11 PM
If that guy really thinks they would host Florida, he needs to be tested for CTE.

It's also basically an FBS Schedule....