PDA

View Full Version : Should the Bowls invite FCS teams to fill out their schedules?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 29th, 2015, 05:47 PM
I heard that the bowls are not going to have enough FBS teams to fill out their schedules this year. At last count, we have 76 FBS teams that have the requisite number of wins and 40 bowl games (not counting the national championship). There has been some discussion of inviting a few 5-7 teams to a bowl. I respectfully disagree. I believe that the bowls should invite some of the 7-win FCS teams that did not make the playoffs to a bowl. These teams are:

Northern Arizona (Big Sky)
North Dakota (Big Sky)
Towson (CAA)
Dartmouth (Ivy)
Harvard (Ivy)
Penn (Ivy)
NC Central (MEAC)*
Bethune-Cookman (MEAC)*
North Carolina A&T (MEAC)*
South Carolina State (MEAC)
Tennessee-Martin (OVC)
San Diego (Pioneer)
Jacksonville (Pioneer)
Morehead State (Pioneer)
Western Carolina (Southern)
Central Arkansas (Southland)
Alcorn State (SWAC)*
Grambling State (SWAC)*
Prairie View A&M (SWAC)

*potential conference representative at the Celebration Bowl

My reasoning behind it is would give the teams selected a taste of the postseason. What do you think? I think it would also be a chance of a lifetime to play in a bowl game.

SUPharmacist
November 29th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Nope.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 29th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Novel idea, albeit crazy. Roll me up whatever you are smoking because we don't grow that here in Kentucky. I don't see FCS teams getting bowl invites. No way. No how.

SUPharmacist
November 29th, 2015, 05:53 PM
The Bowl system is watered down as it is, no way do they invite an FCS team that couldn't make the FCS postseason. They will go sub-500 FBS from big programs that may have some fans show up.

Mocs123
November 29th, 2015, 06:03 PM
The remaining bowls will go to 5-7 FBS teams that have fan bases that will travel.

Bowls are about $ and selling tickets.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 06:29 PM
0.0% chance. Can't make the FCS playoffs and are eligible? WTF are you doing trying to play in a FBS bowl game?

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2015, 06:30 PM
The remaining bowls will go to 5-7 FBS teams that have fan bases that will travel.

Yea, something tells me Nebraska or Mizzou is going to bring a heck of a lot more fans (and buy a lot more tickets) than pretty much any FCS team (outside of maybe NDSU, but probably not even them).

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Sure, you going to outdraw any of those FBS schools?

None of those listed schools even had attendance for their largest drawing game of the season at home to make a blip on the bottom line with ticket sales. No way they'd be anywhere near enough buyers

TypicalTribe
November 29th, 2015, 07:20 PM
The only FCS invite that would generate interest is the most obese wish was in the playoffs: Harvard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonator
November 29th, 2015, 07:20 PM
You think they'd waive the 6 FBS win criteria to allow an FCS school to play rather then waive it for a 5 win FBS school? Pardon me but you are nuts. Not going to happen. xrulesx

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 07:33 PM
You think they'd waive the 6 FBS win criteria to allow an FCS school to play rather then waive it for a 5 win FBS school? Pardon me but you are nuts. Not going to happen. xrulesx

I think it's only 5FBS wins, technically. You can count 1 FCS game, so only 5 FBs are "required"

Pards Rule
November 29th, 2015, 08:14 PM
The Bowl system is watered down as it is, no way do they invite an FCS team that couldn't make the FCS postseason. They will go sub-500 FBS from big programs that may have some fans show up.

I say let them eat fieldturf. Sleep in their own soiled bed with this ridiculous preponderance of bowl games.

BluBengal07
November 29th, 2015, 09:49 PM
that what happens when foolish bowls are created, to be created. there are too many bowls now.

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2015, 09:52 PM
North Texas vs the college of faith in the American Standard Toilet Bowl

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2015, 10:00 PM
The FBS has come out AGAINST playing FCS teams in the regular season. Now some think they are going to let them in their bowl system?????????

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2015, 10:09 PM
The FBS has come out AGAINST playing FCS teams in the regular season. Now some think they are going to let them in their bowl system?????????
Cause they are afraid of us beating them. :D

tribefan40
November 29th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Celebration Bowl....

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 11:42 PM
The FCS NIT

bonarae
November 29th, 2015, 11:46 PM
If only the Presidents would allow us... xsighx

MTfan4life
November 29th, 2015, 11:48 PM

I'm pretty sure they said the final spots will come down to APR scores.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 30th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Surprised the obvious has not been stated. It's not about FCS participation, they simply need to do away with half the bowls.

The Yo Show
November 30th, 2015, 07:40 AM
You know what? Considering some fbs teams are getting a bowl game at 5-7 this year no matter how you look at it, portland state is only two fbs wins away from qualifying based on the quals the 5-7 fbs team has (1 fcs win, 4 fbs wins).

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2015, 07:53 AM
Sure, for the Ivy's, MEAC and SWAC it would be great.

ElonFirefighter
November 30th, 2015, 08:09 AM
How about they let App state 5 bowl games. The one they have qualified for and the 4 extra needing a second team. Problem solved.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 1st, 2015, 12:48 PM
I think the bigger issue is that football have two separate subdivisions. You don't see that in basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer or any other sport. I would suggest the subdivisions be done away with and have a larger playoff system like all the other sports. The bowls (what's left of them) would be considered a one game "NIT."

Bisonoline
December 2nd, 2015, 01:21 AM
Surprised the obvious has not been stated. It's not about FCS participation, they simply need to do away with half the bowls.

Let the free market decide it. If there isnt any money in it they wont survive.

And no--FCS shouldnt be involved.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 2nd, 2015, 02:19 AM
Fair enough, but the problem is TV money. Money may rule, but that doesn't make a down-trodden bowl game attended by 15K a great success. Unfortunately, networks don't care how many people attend the game as long as the fans sitting at home enjoying the HD broadcast have their TVs tuned to their channel.

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 06:32 AM
Fair enough, but the problem is TV money. Money may rule, but that doesn't make a down-trodden bowl game attended by 15K a great success. Unfortunately, networks don't care how many people attend the game as long as the fans sitting at home enjoying the HD broadcast have their TVs tuned to their channel.
Again, as an FCS fan we shouldn't really be poking fun at a bowl game - thousands of miles from both campus locations - drawing 15k when only about 4 teams in the entire FCS can out draw that for a game on their own damn campus against their biggest rivals.

Just thought I'd, once again, point that out.

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 06:36 AM
Did some quick looking at title game attendance....

Basically any time the title game hasn't involved NDSU, App State, Georgia Southern or Marshall the attendance FOR OUR NATIONAL TITLE hasn't broken 15k.

So...if we can't draw 15k to our campus, nor for our national title game (unless one of the teams that could actually draw 15k for a home game) is in the title game, maybe we should shut the **** up about bowl game attendance.

Just a thought. Feel free to keep pissing into the 90 MPH wind on that topic though

PAllen
December 2nd, 2015, 07:21 AM
You know what? Considering some fbs teams are getting a bowl game at 5-7 this year no matter how you look at it, portland state is only two fbs wins away from qualifying based on the quals the 5-7 fbs team has (1 fcs win, 4 fbs wins).

Interesting thought on a possible scheduling philosophy. Schedule Eastern Michigan, Louisiana Monroe, Army, Wyoming, and Hawaii (get an extra game). Win those games and if you drop out of the playoffs in an early round, you may be the last bowl eligible team in Div-I.

Bisonator
December 2nd, 2015, 07:45 AM
I do wonder if this years situation will have any influence on FBS schools scheduling future FCS opponents. How many of these 5 win FBS schools could have been bowl eligible with an FCS win added on?

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 07:58 AM
I do wonder if this years situation will have any influence on FBS schools scheduling future FCS opponents. How many of these 5 win FBS schools could have been bowl eligible with an FCS win added on?
On the flip side

UNC may get left out of the playoffs if they beat Clemson simply because they played 2 FCS teams

Bisonator
December 2nd, 2015, 08:01 AM
On the flip side

UNC may get left out of the playoffs if they beat Clemson simply because they played 2 FCS teams

Why would any FBS school schedule 2 FCS teams? Unless they were "Bobcatted" I suppose.:D

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 08:18 AM
Why would any FBS school schedule 2 FCS teams? Unless they were "Bobcatted" I suppose.:D
They were.

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2015, 03:15 PM
Hearing some news stories about this shortage of "bowl eligible" teams makes me realize just how clueless the casual fan is about the general landscape of Div. I football.

I hear the "Celebration Bowl" listed in with all of the other FBS bowls.
And with talk about the use of APR to determine which 5-7 teams get in, people are talking about how Ivy schools will probably qualify.

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2015, 03:32 PM
I would be willing to bet if Ivies were being asked to Bowl games even if it is just something like the Potato Bowl they would accept.

Laker
December 2nd, 2015, 06:43 PM
Nebraska would be the first one in based on academic record. Mizzou has already turned it down. K-State is next and if they beat West Virginia on Sat. they are in anyway. Snyder said that they will wait to see what the players want if they lose. Minnesota and Illinois are in line and I know that the Gophers will not bring a big crowd anywhere.

41 bowls games- why?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2015, 07:51 AM
I would be willing to bet if Ivies were being asked to Bowl games even if it is just something like the Potato Bowl they would accept.

You obviously don't know the Ivies.

PAllen
December 3rd, 2015, 09:50 AM
You obviously don't know the Ivies.

Yeah, there is no way Harvard is heading to Idaho to loose to Toledo.

CockyGeek
December 3rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
I'm glad there's a playoff system in FCS. It obviously works for every level of college football other than FBS for some reason. Just integrate these bowls into the playoff system. If an FCS team can play 16 games, then why can't one of the "big schools?"

smallcollegefbfan
December 3rd, 2015, 02:30 PM
I heard that the bowls are not going to have enough FBS teams to fill out their schedules this year. At last count, we have 76 FBS teams that have the requisite number of wins and 40 bowl games (not counting the national championship). There has been some discussion of inviting a few 5-7 teams to a bowl. I respectfully disagree. I believe that the bowls should invite some of the 7-win FCS teams that did not make the playoffs to a bowl. These teams are:

Northern Arizona (Big Sky)
North Dakota (Big Sky)
Towson (CAA)
Dartmouth (Ivy)
Harvard (Ivy)
Penn (Ivy)
NC Central (MEAC)*
Bethune-Cookman (MEAC)*
North Carolina A&T (MEAC)*
South Carolina State (MEAC)
Tennessee-Martin (OVC)
San Diego (Pioneer)
Jacksonville (Pioneer)
Morehead State (Pioneer)
Western Carolina (Southern)
Central Arkansas (Southland)
Alcorn State (SWAC)*
Grambling State (SWAC)*
Prairie View A&M (SWAC)

*potential conference representative at the Celebration Bowl

My reasoning behind it is would give the teams selected a taste of the postseason. What do you think? I think it would also be a chance of a lifetime to play in a bowl game.

Nope. FBS will never let it happen. One big reason. Name a FCS team who has wins over at least 5 FBS teams on their schedule. If they did they would be in the FCS playoffs. A 5-7 SEC team would win the FCS national championship. If any FCS team played say the schedule of Missouri they would have 2-3 wins max.

veinup
December 3rd, 2015, 02:32 PM
bowl games are ridiculous at this point, who cares

edit: i mean, the answer is obviously no. but **** bowl games, who cares. FBS needs to expand the playoffs.

Bisonoline
December 3rd, 2015, 02:42 PM
If you couldnt make the playoffs why would the FBS invite you to one of their bowl games? :D

eiu1999
December 3rd, 2015, 04:25 PM
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

They need to eliminate bowls altogether but I know $$$ talks.

It should only be playoffs.

Catsfan90
December 3rd, 2015, 04:42 PM
Portland state is closer to FBS bowl Eligibility than a lot of FBS teams.

Rollbird5
December 3rd, 2015, 07:33 PM
They should have the winless teams like Kansas go to one of the bowls against another winless team so one of them can get a win for the year, nobody would go to it or watch but at least one of the teams gets rid of that 0!

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2015, 02:13 PM
They should have the winless teams like Kansas go to one of the bowls against another winless team so one of them can get a win for the year, nobody would go to it or watch but at least one of the teams gets rid of that 0!

I am actually really on board with this idea. We need a 4 team playoff for worst team. UCF, Kansas, North Texas, ULM. So they are matched up and the losers meet in the final game with the loser of that game being crowned Bottom 10 champion.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I am actually really on board with this idea. We need a 4 team playoff for worst team. UCF, Kansas, North Texas, ULM. So they are matched up and the losers meet in the final game with the loser of that game being crowned Bottom 10 champion.

Loser gets relegated to FCS, to be replaced by FCSNCG champ

ST_Lawson
December 4th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Loser gets relegated to FCS, to be replaced by FCSNCG champ

English Football (soccer) League setup then?

Ok, but MVFC gets dibs on the directional Michigans.