PDA

View Full Version : D-I Football map

89rabbit
July 5th, 2005, 05:04 PM
One of the regulars over on the Jackrabbit board found this great map of all D-I football programs (I-A and I-AA) and I thought I would share the link.

http://home.comcast.net/~jma155/images/cfb/map/D1_HelmMap.gif

Engineer91
July 5th, 2005, 07:22 PM
East Coast Bias ;)

TheBisonator
July 5th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Geez... look at that map. There's almost NO teams close to us besides SDSU and Minnesota. Look how isolated that NDSU helmet looks. Look at the hundreds of miles of blank map surrounding it. It almost looks like the Big Sky teams are way off to the west of us. But it looks like the Gateway teams are relatively closer than the Big Sky ones. I'm starting to see why our conference prospects are becoming a concern.

blukeys
July 5th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Geez... look at that map. There's almost NO teams close to us besides SDSU and Minnesota. Look how isolated that NDSU helmet looks. Look at the hundreds of miles of blank map surrounding it.

At least they didn't put your team 100 miles into the Atlantic Ocean. We are sitting right in the Baltimore Canyon. Of course that is good fishing for marlin.

P2TheB
July 5th, 2005, 08:22 PM
But it looks like the Gateway teams are relatively closer than the Big Sky ones. I'm starting to see why our conference prospects are becoming a concern.

If you haven't recognized this until now, I'm at least glad to see you understand what most of us in the Gateway Conference feel about adding NDSU/SDSU. Outside of Illinois State and Western Illinois, the rest of the GFC thinks it's a killer trip to UNI. Adding a few more hours onto a trip to Cedar Falls is not appealing to teams like Mizzou State, SIU, Western Kentucky, and Youngstown State.

If I were NDSU and SDSU I would be worried about joining a conference. I think the best bet for all sports outside of football is joining the Mid-Continent. It's the best conference geographically for both schools to join, b/c I don't expect NDSU/SDSU to be joining the MVC anytime soon.

JSU02
July 5th, 2005, 08:36 PM
They left off Samford in Birmingham :rolleyes:

veritech137
July 5th, 2005, 09:08 PM
nah, they right under Auburn

JSU02
July 5th, 2005, 09:26 PM
nope, thats t-roy tech

Retro
July 5th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Hey I-AA needs to claim Alaska! :D

Eagle22
July 5th, 2005, 10:30 PM
One of the regulars over on the Jackrabbit board found this great map of all D-I football programs (I-A and I-AA) and I thought I would share the link.

http://home.comcast.net/~jma155/images/cfb/map/D1_HelmMap.gif

Wait till the Furman fans see that map :D

blukeys
July 6th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Wait till the Furman fans see that map :D

Actually it looks as if the Furman helmet is humping the GSU helmet in the rear. Am I missing something?

Eagle22
July 6th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Actually it looks as if the Furman helmet is humping the GSU helmet in the rear. Am I missing something?

Alright wise-guy :rolleyes:

Furman is in Clempson's and Wofford's neck of the woods. If the Paladins were that close to us there is no telling how intense the rivalry would be :D

blukeys
July 6th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Alright wise-guy :rolleyes:

Furman is in Clempson's and Wofford's neck of the woods. If the Paladins were that close to us there is no telling how intense the rivalry would be :D

Sorry I'm just a dumb UD fan. I do know where Nova is and they $uck. Maybe the mapmakers were confused and thought that Furman and GSU were Polson and Grizo. :eek: :eek:

At any rate UD is still sitting at least 60 miles off the coast of Maryland/Delaware in the Atlantic fishing for Marlin in the Baltimore Canyon if anyone wants to get up with us. :rolleyes: :D :D

JaxSinfonian
July 6th, 2005, 07:55 AM
They left off Samford in Birmingham :rolleyes:
The Samford helmet, I think, is there, just mostly obscured by the UAB helmet. Same thing with the Furman helmet and Clemson. The map scale's just not big enough to let you see all the helmets at that size.

I'd like to see a I-AA-only helmet map.

JaxSinfonian
July 6th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Oh, wow, I just looked again and saw where they spotted Furman. What the heck?

Eagle_77
July 6th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Can you believe how many teams are in LA and NC?
From what I can see Texas is the leader at 14 which is understandable of how big it is.
I believe LA has 11 and NC has 10. Thats unreal compaired to the larger states like Cal (10) and Fla (10).

VA seems to have a lot as well but I cant count them they are so compact.

OL FU
July 6th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Thanks for finding us. I looked in the correct geographic location and just assumed we were once again hidden in Clemson's shadow. :)

What is that awful smell in South Georgia :eek:

Lehigh Football Nation
July 6th, 2005, 09:45 AM
The map is cool. Question - where did he get the helmet graphics, from the Helmet Project? I ask since I am interested in finding some icon-sized helmets like the ones portrayed in this map. If they were about 40 pixels by 40 pixels, that would be ideal.

Ideally they are from a site which has mini icon-sized helmets already.

NoCoDanny
July 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Weber State is MIA.

Golden Eagle
July 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Hey I-AA needs to claim Alaska! :D

And we thought that NDSU and SDSU had trouble finding a conference willing to take them!

I imagine they'd have the best home-field advantage in D-I.

AgentOrange
July 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Can't tell what that helmet is rght behind Texas A&M and south of Waco. Is Mary-Hardin-Baylor D-1?? Or am I missing something?

BlackSaturday
July 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I believe that is PV A&M.

89Hen
July 6th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Who is the one behind the Penn helmet?

UAalum72
July 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Who is the one behind the Penn helmet?
looks like LaSalle

AgentOrange
July 6th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Ah ha!! PVAM. Can't believe I forgot about them.

Then again...

jmuroller
July 6th, 2005, 07:24 PM
And people wonder why they want the Nat'l Championship game to stay East of the Miss. river.